Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers. Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the comfy for lining in your favorite winter puzzle slippers. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guest, the podcasting legend, Ben Bolin, creator and co host of Ridiculous History and Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, and many many others. Welcome Ben, Aj.
Speaker 2: This is huge for me. Thank you so much for having me on the show. As we talked about earlier, as soon as I found out you were helping this podcast, I immediately with no regrets and not really a bunch of dictems. Oh ask to be on because I have followed your work for quite some time.
Speaker 1: My friend, Oh well, thank you. We are delighted and honored to be back. I am right back at you, a big fan, and we're going to talk about your shows. But first I wanted to talk about your name. We are probably the first to ever point this out, but your last name is actually a verb or jaroned if you take a colloquial without the end the Bolin Ben Bolin. Are we the first to ever notice that?
Speaker 2: I think the first not to do the Ben Bolan Lately joke, which which I grew up with is very familiar, but the as fellow a fellow fan of etymology, it's it's a it's a strange one, admittedly, and like many people, I spent some time trying to figure out the derivation of that etymology, and then, like dare I say many people, I just stopped at the one I thought was cool, and I was like, I've.
Speaker 1: Learned enough, which was what what is the cool one?
Speaker 2: It was the one that's did the most realistic, the idea that a lot of people's surnames come from some trade or profession, right, And they were like, oh, you made you know, back in the day, your ancestors made lines for bows and arrows, And I thought, okay, that's like an upstanding job. I also don't know much about bows and arrows, candidly, so I thought it might have been a grift. I was like, how complex can the line on the bow be? Turns out very complex?
Speaker 1: Oh, the bow line, I say. I thought that it was going to be like pottery. You were the people who made bowls, but I guess that, yeah, bows and arrows kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah that would be I think that would probably be more useful because if if you only specialize in making the lines for the bows. Then you you know, you necessarily have to collaborate with someone. There's some guy out there right now. His last name is probably like arrowman or arrow person.
Speaker 1: Well, Fletcher. I believe Fletcher is someone who makes arrows. I could be wrong. Well that is, I believe it. I'm going with the bowline theory because I think you are cool. Our puzzle is actually not based on the arrows, but instead based on the sport, the bowling. So for instance, what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna give you a clue, and the answer to that clue is a two word phrase, which is the name of a famous person like yourself. So if we were decluing you, it would be, for instance, founding Father Franklin love to go down to the alley and throw some strikes and spares. His friends love to watch Ben. That's you, So Ben Franklin Bowlin. So he loved to watch Ben Bolin. So everyone is gonna be when you say it the name of a celebrity, but I'm gonna describe it in a tricky way. So are you ready?
Speaker 2: I am ready?
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. Texas Senator Cruz is doing the waltz, the rumba, and the fox trot. Let's go check out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, all right, So Texas senator with a pretty famous or infamous last name Cruise, right, that that would that would not be Tom Cruise, which would be that would be uh, that would still be a tea though, I think yes, would be Ted Cruz.
Speaker 1: Ted Cruz, you got it. That's halfway there. You're yeah, okay, Ted?
Speaker 2: Okay? And then could I have the the second part show?
Speaker 1: All right, it's Senator Ted Cruz. He's doing the waltz, the rumba, the foxtrota, you name it. He is let's go check out.
Speaker 2: He could also be if I'm if I'm picking up what you're putting down AJ. He could also be, for instance, doing the Dougie. He could be doing the running Man right. He could even be tap be into the world of tap. Yes, I think these people are going to I think they're going to watch Ted dancing, tad dance.
Speaker 1: You are picking up what I'm laying then Ted Danson is the answer, as in Cheers, Star Good Play, star Ted Danson, whom I love, excellent and I feel like I was inside your mind. Thank you for that that was terrific. All Right, we've got a couple more. What if the Phoenix Son's power Forward, whose last name is Durant is making a cake and some cupcakes and some pies. Maybe we should go watch. So this is Kevinder. Oh, I just said the freaking answer. That's the third time have done that on this show.
Speaker 2: You know what. I also feel like you are reading my mind somehow, aj because as soon as I realized the first part was a sports question, I thought, I have disappointed the Western world, the anglosphere entire, so I needed needed that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Kevin, that's good to tell because I am also a sports signory. Thankfully we have Greg and Jodi and our other producers who are sports ficionados. But yeah, so we've got Kevin and he's making some cakes, some cupcakes, some pies.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's not sautain things. This is not a stovetop situation, but there's there's some cookery involved, so that would be I'm running through the famous Kevin's.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It's spelled differently. That's the tricky part.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh, yes, Kevin Bacon, Kevin Bacon exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a little tricky because that's also a food. But yeah, you got it.
Speaker 3: You've got famous six degrees right exactly exactly and by the way, fun fact, I don't know if it's fun, but I broke the Kevin six degrees of Kevin Bacon's story in Entertainment Weekly, the first like media publication to write about it, because I was I was a dork and I was on like those I guess, I don't know what they called them back then, bulletin boards, and it was big on the bulletin boards.
Speaker 1: So I was like, hey, this could be cool.
Speaker 2: How did you find out about that? How did you learn about that?
Speaker 1: Again, I was just a dork and I was on these like you know what, I don't know where they chat rooms, bulletin boards on like Prodigy or like all these ancient internet things, and I was like, oh my god, this is so cool. And then I called this publicist and she was really pissed because she thought I was making fun of him. But then they were happy. So anyway, that was Sorry for the digression. All right, How about this one? This is at the dog part. The former talk show host Degenerous that's her last name. She's imitating some dog sounds and it's very funny to see. Let's go see.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's Ellen degenerous.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's it. I'm going to stop you right there. You got Ellen. So now you just need the second part. Okay, so what how do dogs? What do they do?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, Ellen growling?
Speaker 3: Is not it?
Speaker 2: If there isn't Ellen growling and you're listening, you know, I apologize.
Speaker 1: Yes, probably interesting in her own right, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I agreed. Would that be Ellin Barking Barkin?
Speaker 1: Ellen Barkin?
Speaker 2: Ellen Barkin?
Speaker 1: Wonderful actress, Ellen Barkin? Are you maybe you're too young? That could be?
Speaker 2: I am so embarrassed, but honesty and transparency're very important to me. Aja, So I've got to tell you and our fellow puzzle enthusiast the name sounds familiar, but it gave it gave me a little bit of doubt because I'm often bad at celebrity trivia. It is on a trivia team. It is not my strong suit, right because I feel like I kind of remember every name, even when it's just totally new to me and like, oh maybe they were at my high school. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well you got it, you got it? Well, thank you, Ben, You are excellent. Where can people find more of you? Presumably not on ESPN?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not unless they get into sketch comedy until that point, Thank you so much, and the Puzzler team, you can find me on Stuff they Don't want you to know. Long running podcast that explores that applies critical thinking to everything from allegations of psychic powers to government cover ups and modern pop culture mysteries. If that's not quite your cup of tea, you can head over to Ridiculous History, where big breaking news folks. You can also hear our host aj Jacobs making an appearance very soon.
Speaker 1: Cannot wait, very excited. Well before we wrap up, as always for the puzzlers at home, here's an extra credit puzzle. What if atheist writer Hitchens is taking a stroll? You might say? That would be something? Oh you know, Ben knows I should have done that one for you puzzle airs. Please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and tell a friend write a review if you want. It really helps, and we'll meet here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska here, with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. In that episode, we were looking at some phrases, idiomatic phrases from other languages, and AJ was queezing me about what they mean.
Speaker 1: So the extra credit you got was the phrase to be peeing against the moon.
Speaker 2: What does it mean when someone is peeing against the moon. It means that they're wasting time on a feudal endeavor. I hope that's not how you feel about puzzles, because
Speaker 3: We look forward to puzzling with you every day here on the Puzzler Podcast.