Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you as old ways so much for tuning in here. In twenty twenty four, we have returned with a bit of a follow up episode. Shout out to our super producer, the main man, mister Max Salt and c Williams.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the Hoover Dam. Shout out to the Hoover Dam that goes out there.
Speaker 3: You're gonna you got you shout into the damn and the damn shouts back.
Speaker 1: It sure does. Oh my gosh, I am I.
Speaker 2: Be called salty boy? Yeah, course, Well that's what we talk about.
Speaker 1: Salinity and that's Max, that's what Well, that's what we call you when we're just texting without you. I'm Ben Bullen. Here is the one and only mister Noel Brown. And as you may recall Ridiculous Historians when we when we did our recent episode series about the Hoover Dam, one thing we continually returned to is a strange hm we could call it a fun little accident sarcastically that went on to change the Southwest. It's called the Sultan Sea. And Noel, you have have have you been out to the Sultan Sea.
Speaker 3: I haven't, but I have seen the movie The Sultan Sea starring jeez Val Kilmer, and at the setting is the Sultan Sea, and it's very much the kind of Sultan Sea that you also will Sultan see depicted the Grand Theft Auto Door. It it wasn't really but thank you. You know, there's that character, I think his name's Trevor. He's sort of the like the he's a real salty dog. He represents sort of that kind of methy, sort of grizzled element. Yeah, in that game, and it is an explorable part of the map, and it's not called the Sultans I can't remember what it's called in the game, but it very much is based on that, and it is sort of like this weird, kind of creepy ghost town. Like it it was meant to be some sort of resorty kind of exactly, but that's right exactly. But it is a very sad and scary place and that's also what it's like in the film. But it didn't start that way. And oftentimes, you know, when we see things like abandoned malls, for example, or abandoned theme parks, there's a certain extra creep factor that goes along when something that was once tended with care and treated like it was gonna be this beautiful thing for all to enjoy and then it just kind of abandoned. But those remnants remain of what once was meant to be a place where children would play or people would water ski and hang out with their families and have picnics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's dystopian indeed. And to be clear, folks, when we're saying salt and sea, we're talking about a specific place. We're not talking about salt and the sea that.
Speaker 2: Dultan has anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: I think the name is just a geographical but it turns out that salt is a big part of the story. So it's very easy to make that mistake. But I'm glad you you nip that one in the bud right off the rip. But we found out about this again, we'd all been aware of it, but from our wonderful tour guide at the Hoover Dam, where there's a yeah, that's right, who was a believe an employee of the what's it called. There's a name of like sort of land reclamation correct and their job is to deal with watersheds and all of that stuff in the way water resources are used in the south Southwest. Yeah, they don't care what happens on the East Ghost and a shout out to you, Hoover, mataf you're tuning in. That was very clear in our conversations. The Sultan Sea is going to be familiar to anybody who lives in or around California. It is, through pure accident and misadventure, California's largest lake.
Speaker 1: And we know that the basin has been home to a cyclical rise and fall of different bodies of water, pretty much due to the Colorado rivers propensity for flooding and the uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the river is of course what is harnessed by.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the Sultan Sea was formed in its current iteration pretty recently in the Grand Scheme of things. Back in nineteen oh five, Colorado River floodwater breached a canal. We mentioned this in the Hoover series and flowed into what was called the Sultan Sink's It's like how a poetkemon evolves. It's the Sultan Sink when there's not water. It's the Sultan Sea when the Colorado River has a bad day.
Speaker 4: And it has reached his final form, so it's it's a ground Pokemon with not water, but then it comes a water ground hybrid Pokemon.
Speaker 2: Don't talk about Pokemon with me around, I'll go, well, got to get them all.
Speaker 4: I guess there's a two thirty eight on Pokemon Crystal. One time the two fifty and then the battery inside of it died. As an adult I was doing this.
Speaker 1: Pokemon Go, by the way, is a surveillance skim.
Speaker 2: I just have to say it, you know.
Speaker 3: But it's one of those things where it's just so fun. I willingly give up my data for the privilege of catching a I can't even think of the name of a Pokemon. Let's say, a wild snore lax in my backyard.
Speaker 1: There is just a lot. There are a lot of them, and there's only one salt and sea this time around. Historic evidence and geological studies show that the Colorado River has created something like the Sultan Sea numerous times over the past thousands of years. The first lake to arise occurs in about seven hundred CE, and this is because the Colorado River shifted its course due to silt, which is also the silt as part of why the Hoover Dam was built.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: I believe that was called Lake Coahuela Kahuila. I'll go with that. Yeah, seven hundred AD. And according to the Sultan Sea Authority, the present day Sultan Sea is that body of water that occupies the Sultan Basin. But to your point, Ben, there have been many that came before. The ancient evidence or geologic evidence of the moving shoreline does indicate that Lake Kohila occupied that basin until just around three hundred years ago.
Speaker 1: So people lived and died there.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a prefermanent thing in their experience.
Speaker 3: And then from eighteen twenty four to nineteen four the Colorado River starts to flood that salt and basin and it happens the flooding no less than eight times. In eighteen forty, for example, floodwaters created a salt lake that was the measured three quarters of a mile long and about half a mile wide. And then in June of eighteen ninety one, another overflow of the Colorado River created a lake thirty miles long and ten miles wide.
Speaker 1: Oof For everybody listening who is not in the United States, that is a big lake. You know about the vest leaves that, yeah, because we'll do anything not to use the metric system, and we want to give credit where it's due, want to shout out. I don't know about you, guys, but I love learning about specific repositories of expertise and knowledge. So with great acclaim, we have to thank the Sultan Sea Authority, which is a real thing and shock full, dare I say, overflowing with resources and research about this, about this somewhat unique erstwhile body of water there again, gone again.
Speaker 2: Erstwhile on Fargo.
Speaker 3: You guys noticed that you guys watched Fargo whenever they do the next time or previously, they say erstwhile, Oh nice, because I guess that's sort of a Midwestern.
Speaker 2: It's cool, it's just clever.
Speaker 3: That show really pays a lot of attention to detail, and if you haven't watched it in the new season, is pretty spectacular, dare I say, very triggering for some folks. That deals with a lot of topics and depictions of abuse, you know, domestic violence and such, so treadlight, but we're.
Speaker 1: Talking about ecological abuse. That's like, you need to talk about silt. When we got to talk about the silt, you haven't thought of the silt folks. So is the true noal that no one will ever know for sure how many times the saltan scenk has becomeless sultancy like I think. We know it's at least eight times, but we don't know how far back this phenomenon goes. We we mainly know the time that humans messed.
Speaker 3: It up, that's right, Yeah, and that was specifically, you know, involving the Hoover Dam. The construction of the Hoover Dam while a fantastic feat of engineering, and you know the power of science to tame nature and harness, you know, the wilds of a planet Earth, you know, to the benefit of humankind.
Speaker 2: Things can go a little wrong.
Speaker 3: You know, from time to time there are byproducts and let's just call it collateral damage can occur when such a massive undertaking is undertaken.
Speaker 1: There we go love it, yes, because humans. Humans can be accused of many things over the course of history, but they can't be accused of lacking ambition even when they should. So these these heavy silt loads become an issue when the California Development Company says, look at this thing, look at the Inland Valley. We could grow so much food here. All we have to do is sweet talk the Colorado River into feeding future crops.
Speaker 2: Come on, you know you want to feed those crops.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In nineteen oh one, they start digging these canals from the river meant to go through the Imperial Valley. But they again not to be two Dennis Reynolds here. They hadn't thought of the silt, and.
Speaker 3: Just really quickly, if anyone doesn't remember from high school geology, isn't silt just kind of very fine particulate matter that is carried by river current specifically, and it can, of course, you know, form deposits that can you know, clog up things and correct cause all kinds of problems, but also move the location of shorelines over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mud, little bits of sand, this this agglomerates, you know. This is actually this similar to the reason that you can't put coffee grounds into your disposal and your sink.
Speaker 3: It'll be okay for a minute, then over time, and I've had I have died on this hill with roommates who swear it's fine.
Speaker 2: It's nope.
Speaker 3: It might be okay for even a couple of months, but if you keep doing it, it's just gonna build up and like it gets ground more every time it gets you know, you run the disposal, but that just creates the stuff that builds up on the blades, and over time will eventually cause that thing to grind to a halt.
Speaker 1: And so so these poor folks at the California Development Company, I'm kidding, they're quite well off. They said, dang, it didn't it didn't work. We have to try to fix it somehow. And this led to a feedback loop of bad decisions and mistakes that ultimate led to what we call the Sultan Sea today and later led to the creation of what we call the Hoover Dam.
Speaker 3: And ben really quickly, and I just want to correct myself. I think I may have gotten order of operations a little off the mark a minute ago. It wasn't the Hoover Dam that caused this problem. The Hoover Dam was one of the solutions to dealing with this human made issue that sprung up around the Sultan Sea from previous attempts to dig irrigation canals from the Colorado River. Just so, yeah, it's the best band aid that America could come up with, I mean, but it still did spring forth from issues surrounding human intervention.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, And the Sultan Sea is different from a lot of other bodies of water in the United States and indeed the world, because there's no real place for the water to go over land, it would have to evaporate. It's what's called an indorict lake e h EIC. So because the waters in the Salt and Sea have no it's like a crowded concert hall with no exit.
Speaker 2: O's got to have those exits, fire code.
Speaker 1: They've got no exit at all. These poor particles water. At least they have no runoff opportunity, which means they have two choices. They can either evaporate or they can sink into the ground. And this leads to a very high salinity level, a very high amount of salt in the salt and sea.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: The California Department of Fish and Wildlife say that the Sultan Sea has been maintained by irrigation runoff coming from the Imperial in Coachella Valleys and nearby rivers since it's very formation, and that those salinity levels, those levels of salt are currently more than fifty percent higher than ocean waters than the water of the Pacific specifically, and those levels continue to go up as time goes on. The salt in the Sultan Sea is sort of the culprit at play here regarding what we could, with very little hyperbole referred to as an ecological disaster, and we're going to get to that. But for a time, it was kind of awesome, you know, it was like this this oasis, like, you know, a beautiful little ocean, you know, a contained ocean that didn't go off into the horizon, that was just right there and therefore could be used for things like recreation.
Speaker 1: And max if we could, could we get some like retro as, you know, maybe forties fifties resort music, swinging y, Yeah, picture it this way, lay.
Speaker 4: Back, So just use the music from the Adolpho Sax episode Sweet Saxiphying right here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make it sexy.
Speaker 1: So picture this, Someone says, Dolly, and I know the land on the coast is expensive for vacations, but we have a happening scene in inland. We have a sea you see, all our own. This was like a hot spot for tourists, for people who own a boat but honestly cannot afford marina fees in more expensive areas.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, because it wasn't like at this point it was sort of a place for the halves, but maybe the haves, not.
Speaker 2: Quite as much as the top tier halves. You know.
Speaker 3: It was almost more like having a condo rather than like a mansion, or like owning a timeshare rather than you know, some sort of like beachside you know, get away, you know, for your summer home. So it did create this sort of community that was very attractive to developers. And that was also largely because those high salt level you know what happens when you've got salty waters, things float better.
Speaker 2: So people with boats.
Speaker 3: Were using it because it was able to make speedboats go faster. And I believe there were some records that were set, you know, using speedboats in the waters of the Saltan Sea during the first half of the twentieth century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's more fun to operate a boat on this buoyant brine.
Speaker 2: There. We go too much alliteration, but we'll keep it.
Speaker 1: So in the nineteen fifties, the California Department of Fish and Game gets into the mix and they say, hey, let's jush this up a little bit more. Let's get people to come not just to play around on their boats or to have a lake side vacation. Let's also draw in the fishing crowds, So we're going to stock this lake. Stocking a lake. This happens all the time in Georgia, which has no natural lakes as a state. It's a very weird fact, but you're welcome. The process of stocking a lake means that you take a bunch of different kinds of fish that people like to fish for recreationally. You put enough in that even someone who's kind of bad at fishing is almost guaranteed to catch one.
Speaker 3: It's almost like those wildlife resorts where they have like penned in kind of deer that really have nowhere to go. So it's it sort of lowers the sporting quot just a little bit, like it's it's a little bit like a shooting fish in a very large barrel. But you know, it was, it was popular. And also like deep deep sea fishing is certainly more expensive and you can't you can fish off a pier, of course, but you're limited, you know, in terms of coastal areas where you can fish, you know, for people that maybe don't have the money to you know, own a trawler or whatever.
Speaker 2: They're really crap.
Speaker 3: Those things are called that can go deep sea fishing, so you know, since this is a lake, you can fish right off the side.
Speaker 1: And this is where a guy named Pen of Fillips enters our story. It's the end of the nineteen fifties and our buddy Pen is developing property. He says, look, this is going to be the next big thing. This happens all the time in real estate. People will take out of the way land and attempt to make it, you know, kind of like a resort, a live laugh, love, a little all in one area. And so our buddy Pen buys thousands of acres of land. He gets involved in speculation. He's also selling lots of land around the western shore of the Salt and Sea. And he says, what I'm going to do really is I'm going to be like Romulus and Remiss founding this great civilization. But this is going to be Sultan City and it's going to be tourism, and I want people. Basically, what you want when you're building these kind of things. You want a large traveling, seasonal population, but you want people to live there year round. You want to make it good enough that it becomes like a mall people never leave.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the West coast of the United States is sort of seasonless largely, so you know, the weather kind of maintains pretty pretty consistently throughout the year.
Speaker 2: So it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: But this would definitely have been sort of a getaway, could have been considered a getaway for folks that maybe lived more in the city, you know, more like in Los Angeles or in the valley perhaps, or in some of the surrounding part like it's on or like I think I hear Big Bear Lake come up a lot as far as like a place that the people in LA like to vacation to.
Speaker 2: But you start to.
Speaker 3: See the intention springing up around this development, you know, with streets named things like Seaview Avenue and Sea Missed Place and all of these very evocative kind of names. And again a lot of this information is coming from a combination of the Kiri Picone article on that all that's interesting and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. But so you start to see the groundwork being laid by Penn Phillips' efforts, and it starts to seem like this is going to transform into what he had envision but then, all of a sudden, as though blessed with some sort of secret knowledge, Phillips ditches the whole thing in nineteen sixty and we don't we still don't really know, Like what tipped him off. Was he talking to, you know, ecologists and environmental experts, and he sort of probably got the tip that maybe this was not going to progress in the way that he had hoped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking at this and probably, although it's tough to assign motivation and prescients, there are a couple of possibilities. Maybe things just went upside down for him financially, very like sooner than a thought. And or it may have been a situation where he got the amount of money that he wanted and then handed it off, like he may have not known what was about to happen, but he In either case, he ghost in nineteen sixty, and Sultan City kind of becomes a ghost, like those massive towns that are built on real estate speculation in the nation of China. There's if you went to Sultan City after nineteen sixty, you would see something that looked undone, like the developers in a video game had not quite gotten to that part of the map. There's like, there are a couple homes, there was a sewage system. They had, you know, as he said, they had the QTT names for different streets. But it started to go downhill almost immediately because there wasn't new investment coming in. And this gave it that dystopian fallout esque vibe that we were foreshadowing earlier. And to be clear, people were still living there, just not as many as Penn had originally hoped. And so if we fast forward to the night teen seventies, we get to the real ecological disaster. The bill starts to come do and tourists don't love unpleasant things.
Speaker 3: No, And we talked about how the salt levels kind of were on the rise and all of this shoreline flooding was also on the rise. You had farm farming communities nearby, you know, I mean if you go outside of LA you know, places like Modesto and you know a little bit further out from Los Angeles proper, it is super rural and a lot of farming going on out there. You know, things like oranges and various crops, you know, avocado, whatever. But they have to be fertilized, and there were times where regulations surrounding you know, what kind of fertilizer could be used and how it had to be dealt with were not nearly as strict as they are today. So you had a lot of runoff from these nearby farms causing increasing imbalances in the kind of chemical makeup of the waters of the salt and sea. Pair that with that rising salinity and you start to get these massive fish kills with like fish bones, skeletons kind of piling up on the shore. A lot of those fish that had been stocked, you know, the various species, I believe, including let's see, we had croaker corvina, Yeah, something like I think sargo. I'm not a fish scientist, but those were several of the species. They just began to die off, and it was only I think a few of the more resilient species that even stuck around at all.
Speaker 1: Right, and this included some endangered species like the desert pupfish. Coupled with this, there are a number of biblical level storms. If you had a resort barely holding on, guess what, there's an act of God coming your way. It's not in your favor, So a lot of people were forced to pull out because the numbers just weren't working as an investment. If you fast forward now, you'll see, as you said, just a few very resilient fish species surviving for now. And yeah, and just like just like the Marinas a few years back, these things are barely holding on. This gets even worse in two thousand and three. There's something called the Quantification Settlement Agreement. Shout out to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife if you'd like to learn more. Its street name is the QSA. Basically, it's a covenant between states that share the Hoover Dam and the Colorado River. And we know California has historically been the least favorite state in this agreement because they tend to use more water than the originally agreed amount or limit. And we also have to say, in California's defense, it is a country all its own, Like if you look at the GDP of California, it's a huge country. You know, it's quite unique in that regard. And for a long period of time, everybody just sort of made do and they said, Okay, we'll figure it out next year, we'll keep kicking the can down the length of this dam because Nevada and Nevada and Arizona never used their full quota of water, so people were just sliding the leftover to California. But problem is, not every place out west is like the Saltan city idea. There are thriving, huge populations, huge cities that in some cases you could argue should not exist. Sorry, Las Vegas, but shout out to you.
Speaker 3: Just slap there in the middle of the California desert, you know, by the mafia. The founding of Las Vegas is fascinating, as we discovered when we were out there not too long ago. But all of this to say that this QSA imposes some pretty serious water conservation measures that ultimately have the unintended consequence of drying up the salt and sea. And in doing that, again, I'm not a water expert here, but it caused the salinity to rise even further as the sea was drying up. And I'm not quite sure why that is. Maybe Matter or Max you have an idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what I got through this research, and I mean shout out to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife because the right up on. This is very long. If we did the right up alone, it would be like an entire episode. But basically the gist of it is, there's a ton of there's a ton of salt in the salt sea, but the water getting dumped into the salt and sea is fresh water, so dilute it down. But so as California was getting less and less water because you know, Nevada and Arizona needed more less water going to the crops to run off, and those parts about becoming more efficient, unintended consequences. Basically, there's less fresh water getting dumped into this very high salt count and the water can't go anywhere, so what happens to it?
Speaker 1: So it evaporates or it goes into the ground, which causes the salinity to naturally increase. And the problem is that the wildlife in this area is not the kind of wildlife that has evolved to exist in these changing circumstances. The Sultancy in its current iteration for Everybody Playing Along at Home has only existed for around a century, which is very short term in the life span of bodies of water, and in just that amount of time, since it was the only show in town, ecologically, it became a huge resource for things like migratory birds, for resident animal populations like our pal the pupfish, some endangered species. So because the because the rest of California was getting developed at such a hectic pace, they were losing wetlands and the Sultan Sea became the replacement. It became the we have wetlands at home. It's like the wish version of a wetland on et sea. So these these birds in the North American continent need a pit stop, especially if they're migratory, and the Sultan Sea becomes that. We just don't think it will last very long. It's an unsustainable situation because the marine animals are not going to be able to survive that increasing salinity. There's a reason another very briny sea is called the Dead Sea. Super great for boats, not super great floating, yeah, not super great for freshwater fish though, and this leads us to the next turn in the story. The demise of the Sultan Sea had consequences beyond the water itself. As the sea declined, we see things. We see things become increasingly dystopian. The human population that used to be kind of like novou Riche aspirational, middle class, upper middle class tourists. They leave, and the folks who remain there just like the Just like the salt that remains in the Sultan Sea, it gets weirder and weirder with each passing year. The vibe becomes strange.
Speaker 3: Right, more and more dystopian. I'm a Newburger, writing for CNBC, had this to say. The vision for Saltan City was clear, a bustling resort community along the crystal blue waters the Sultan Sea. The city's reality is more grim. Instead of a vacation spot, it feels like a post apocalyptic ghost town. Most of the homes were demolished or never built. The palm trees are stumps, and the sea, while beautiful, is toxic. And you know, she actually interviewed Frank Ruez from the Audubon Society. The Audubon Society has a Sultan Sea program, and he said people here used to fish, swim, bring their boats. They went from living in paradise to living in hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is not hyperbole. This also this also affects the surrounding land. Imperial County remains one of the poorest counties in the state of California, and there's a problem with the smell. That's right, fans are always sunny. We're doing that Dennis Reynolds joke because it works. We're not going to give you the full quote because we're a family show. But the smell became a huge issue, and it's also a teachable moment for our friends in Utah who are worried about the stench of the Great Salt Lake. It's because of the chemical changes. You know, the dust is blowing over the dry lake beds as the salt and sea slowly evaporates, and that means you're getting hydrogen sulfide. You're also getting dangerous stuff like arsenic and selenium. And people who live there, honestly, people who are affected by it. Many families cannot afford to move, so they just have to put up with this horrible smell and possible health effects in the long term.
Speaker 3: Right and Ruiz Frank Ruis from the Audubon said, it makes the point that we see happen all the time with things like this. If the sea were next to Los Angeles, it would have been fixed long ago. But it's next to poor communities and they don't have the political leverage. There are a lot of Latino families that live in this area, and it is just they just don't have the clout and representation to do something about it. Politicians in Los Angeles are concerned more with things directly affecting the residents of Los Angeles, and these folks seem to be up Poop Creek without a paddle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're in the salt without the shaker for sure. And let's go to Robert Schettler, who is a spokesperson for the Imperial Irrigation District or IID. Schetler says, look, let's stay optimistic. Not all is lost. It is a huge problem. It does need attention yesterday, but we are happy to see that there are more. There are indications of positive efforts like small, small scale air quality mitigation plans, trying to reinstitute some vegetation that would help also prevent erosion, help some of that water go to a better use. And this all goes to the big question that people have been asking for decades and decades now and perhaps years in the past when earlier iterations of the sea evaporated. Is there a way to save the salt and sea? Back to our friend from all this interesting Kiri says, Look, people are trying. There's a there's a ten year plan that came out pretty recently in twenty eighteen where California's Natural Resource Agency. That's right, folks, there are a lot of like alphabet government agencies working on this. Our pals at the Natural Resource Agency said, look, over the next decade, we're going to make thirty thousand acres of habitat. We're going to suppress this dust that makes everything look so mad max on the lake shore, and then we're going to import new water. Nol importing new water. That's that's a that's a dicey one.
Speaker 3: Well, Ben, didn't this come up in a story that we've covered a couple of times on stuff they don't want you to know. That's right, And they were for a time, I believe, doing just that, like importing. Maybe it wasn't that they were importing water to dilute the salinity, but it was the kind of thing that would maybe work as a quick stopgap measure, but like over a long period of time, just isn't tenable.
Speaker 1: Right, The quest for a better band aid, just like the Hoover Dam. At the end of twenty twenty, only seven hundred and fifty five acres of dust suppression projects had started. They originally wanted there to be something like one thousand, seven hundred and fifty and no habitat projects have been started either. So again, you know, shout out Sam Cook, shout out Ben Sale, A change is gonna come. The question is will the change come in time. Everybody knows California is way behind schedule in any restoration efforts the Sultan Sea. But there are a lot of very good, very smart people working on this. They just have to work through red tape. They have to work through all these stakeholders, all these bureaucracies, and it's increasingly difficult to ask for more water in this part of the world.
Speaker 3: It's right, and it's not just water resource management agencies that are getting involved. There are also folks from the state's Energy Commission providing funding to various energy companies to look into lithium alternatives in order to grow geothermal development and lithium recovery in order to maybe provide clean energy and create some.
Speaker 2: Local jobs there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and we have talked about this on our peer shows. Stuff they don't want you to know right now. Companies are dumping billions into what they're calling Lithium Valley. There is a quite ambitious vision, similar to that of Penn Phillips all those decades ago, to build a new tech forward community out in this area and maybe at some point the fix the smell. A lot of this is coming from a San Diego based company called Energy Source Minerals.
Speaker 3: And to your point, Ben, it's sort of like the focus is maybe shifted on things that could potentially be job creating and money making, so the ecological issue is maybe taken a little bit of a back seat, but it's not completely out of mind.
Speaker 2: Ruiz, who he talked about earlier, who.
Speaker 3: Is the director of the Audubon Society's Sultan Sea Initiative, had this to say about it. We have a moral obligation to look after the wildlife and communities affected by the Sultan Sea. I'd love to see the lake full of water, but it's not feasible. The solution is for communities, water districts, and environ mental groups to find common ground and protect it. And oftentimes this is me that common ground comes in the forms of things that can make money for people, and that can be seen as like the rising tide that perhaps raises the water level of the Sultan Sea. That cannot be in a society that is very much reliant on commerce the number one priority.
Speaker 2: It has to be just sort of a byproduct of all the other stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, that's where we get to the idea of conflicting interest of so called stakeholders. There's also another question. Maybe this is where we where we end it now. It's a question for everybody tuning in, everybody who lives at the Sultan Sea or is doing the work to try to save this quite eccentric body of water. What if we got the origin story wrong? What if the Sultan Sea should just be allowed to come and go. There are folks like Loggie who argue that, hey, maybe the sea just happens over thousands of years, probably before humans. To be honest, this sea has come and gone. Perhaps it's its formation and its current iteration was inevitable, and that famous canal breach back in nineteen oh five just sort of move the timeline right. And if that is the case, then should people spend all this time and effort to save a sea that just sort of is an indoor outdoor cat Ecologically it comes and goes, it comes and goes, Oh.
Speaker 2: My goodness, I don't think. No, no, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: And you know, and is you know, sometimes there are byproducts of naturally occurring processes, you know, on the planet that maybe shouldn't be messed with, and that once they're messed with, then that can trigger a new timeline of kind of a dominant effect of negative consequences. So it could be that because of the intervention of human beings in the first place, is what triggered a lot of this really nasty fallout. So that does beg the question, like to what this person you quoted ben as saying, maybe that would be true if it hadn't have been messed with in the first place, But now that it has been messed with, it's become a problem that does need some level of addressing, or it's just gonna get worse, or that part of the country they're just gonna have to like pull those over the whole thing and start from scratch, you know, fill it in with concrete or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know what would happen. What are the alternatives?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's anybody's game, you know. And look, it sounds like we're possibly taking a hit out on the good people in the assaulted area. We are absolutely not got to tell you, folks, we are not a crew of folks who have spent a lot of time in the desert. So I think it's fair to say when folks like us venture out west, especially to this part of California, all that open space kind of puts the zap on us. It's like when Max met Montana and saw why they call it sky Country.
Speaker 2: It's big.
Speaker 1: This scale is amazing.
Speaker 2: I remember I remember.
Speaker 1: Driving you and the gang out just the Hoover Dam and we were all somewhat speechless by the immensity.
Speaker 2: Of the of the area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think super producer Paul Mission Controlled dechead of Stuff that I want you to know, said, it almost felt not real, like you were looking at something that was created in a video game or something, because of the vastness of it and just the epic, you know, expanse of it all that we're not used to seeing that. You know, U must you live out there. We're not used to seeing that in real life. We're its kind of used to seeing recreations of it, So it almost feels like you're in sort of an immersive virtual reality kind of situation, which is pretty weird to say, but it's it's true. I was hit the same way by it that it had this uncanny valley kind of vibe to it.
Speaker 1: And there's a beauty to it, you know, And there's a beauty, there's the ambiguity. There are many questions left to answer about the Sultan Sea. One thing is for sure. The clock is ticking. Perhaps the origin story is ridiculous, but it has also inspired a great deal of human ingenuity, and we can't wait to see what sort of solutions are on the way in the future. We also can't thank you enough for tuning in, and thank you to our super producer and research associate for today's episode, mister Max Williams. Guys, I forget to tell you I sent over the holiday, by which I mean.
Speaker 2: Today before we record it.
Speaker 1: I dropped our old pal Jonathan Strickland a quick line, asked him if you wanted to be on the show, wished him a happy New Year and maybe he will deign to return. I have figured out how to tell him he's got some competition now with the Puzzler.
Speaker 2: Oh, the Puzzler.
Speaker 3: I really do think we should like pit them against one another in a quiz slash puzzle off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be for the ages.
Speaker 3: But you know, we can't thank you enough for tuning in, but we surely will try. And we also like to thank everyone else that makes the show possible, of course, including Max Williams, super producer slash research associate Alex Williams who composed this theme, Chris frostiotis here in spirit, and Eves Jeff Coates wandering the wide world of podcasts.
Speaker 1: I'd like to thank Tom Waits sultan Ce feels like his vibe. Oh yeah, he was going to go on the show with us, but he only accepts payment in rusted nineteen fifty seven Chevy parts. It's true, which we didn't have handy. But Tom, if you're hearing, we hope you enjoyed this one as well.
Speaker 3: I think Tom listens to the show. He only listens to stuff on like an old Victrola.
Speaker 1: Right right, and he has to have a busted, busted couple tubes that he can scatter around. Just so, please tune in later this week we are going to explore a complex, strange phenomenon of yesteryear. You may have asked yourselves, folks, Hey, why do so many pictures of historical figures in childhood? Why do they seem to be wearing dot dot dot dresses.
Speaker 3: And our short pants? What is the little Lord fault Leroy? Look the Buster Brown. We'll get to it on the next episode of Ridiculous History. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.