Speaker 1: Hi, Hello there, and welcome. This is Let's talk about mits baby, and I am your host live. I was gonna come up with something Quippi there, but this bit isn't scripted for once because it's necessary reasons to be explained. So anyway, I'm me, I'm liv and I'm the host of this show, and I'm definitely not losing my mind on this here sixth anniversary part to episode. Just like on Tuesday's episode, I am back with answering more of your incredible questions, reading more of your beautiful comments, trying not to cry when they are particularly meaningful, and just generally going to play you some of your favorite and my favorite moments from past conversation episodes, and reading episodes because why in Tartarus not? This is me trying to replace Christian words in my vocabulary with Greek mythological and sometimes they just don't work, you know, you know. Let me tell you a quick saga before we dive right into this episode, because I have had a week. If you listen to Tuesday's episode, you learned that after six years recording this podcast, three of which have been with it as my full time job, I am ostensibly a professional podcaster, and yet last week I managed to record an hour's worth of partially scripted, partially improvised podcast without having used the correct microphone. Now, in my defense, this was a really bizarre thing that it wasn't even set up with the right microphone, because in any case, I did that and then I fixed it. You know, I only used part of the bad recordings for you guys on Tuesday, and then I re recorded most of it, and then well over the weekend, my computer that I record and edit all of my episodes on just shut off in the middle of me using it, and then wouldn't turn back on. After a day of playing with it and trying to figure it out. It seems like it just only sometimes is willing to be on and functioning. So right now I'm recording on a computer that I am fully expecting could shut down at any moment. I refused to touch it, and we're just going to hope for the best, because I just feel like I feel like six years is giving us something to work off of, you know, I don't know what that is, and I hope that it cools down because also side note, the day before this happened, my PlayStation just decided to die. So we're doing great over here. Can't play the thousand screen, can't do anything in any case, I am here with this episode and it's gonna be fun and I'm hopefully not going to have to record it multiple times due to computers. And you know what, I feel like I had kind of over these past few years, kind of straight away from the more personal aspects with my scripts and everything, and so clearly I'm just coming right back to it with this one. So thanks for listening. Let's dive right into this part two of the six year anniversary episode because I'm so touched by all the comments and questions that you guys asked me, and I'm really excited to share some fun clips of conversation episodes and reading episodes that you know, I'm particularly proud of. I'm proud of all of them. Let's be perfectly honest, and I love every single one of my guests, but I'm just gonna play you some random things amidst answering your incredible questions and reading your incredible comments. Thank you, I love you all. Medicine and Magic Underworld, Gods, Plato and Herodotus being weird guys an anniversary special. Alright, our first question today comes from NIX and they say, Hi, Live Love your podcast. My question is, was there a distinguishable difference between regular love, which was put on you by the god Arrows's arrows usually and a love spell like the love for Jason put on madea by Aphroditi. It seems to me that either was completely out of control of the poor mortal. Anyway, I find it interesting, So I was wondering if you knew anything about it. So this is a really fun question, and the answer is one of those things that I talk about a lot, which is just that like it's both, it's neither, it's everything, it's mythology. And that is simply because so for one, just the context is that. So, for instance, the love spell that you're referencing specifically from the story of Jason and Medea that is found in the Argonautica by Apollonius of Rhodes, and Apollonius is from the Hellenistic period, so he's quite late in the grand scheme of Greek mythology, let's say, five hundred or so years after Homer, maybe four hundred after he seid Ish. These are all generalizations because of the oral tradition and all that, but he's quite late, and so what I think is happening here is that it's really just a storytelling device because also, unlike most of the earlier mythology that we have outside of the plays, of course, Apollonius is writing an epic, and we know, you know, he is a specific person that we know wrote this down. He was writing it to tell his version of the story. It's a much more deliberate act, and therefore we know that he was working off of intentional narrative devices, narrative decisions, in a way that can't be said for Hesiod, for Homer, for the fragmentary mythology that we otherwise have, because those were based on oral traditions, and so you know, they changed, they varied, we have, there were different versions, there were different people telling the stories in different regions, and all of these different things that just lead to them being like two really distinctly different you know sources. And I think that that the idea of like the God's controlling love and how they do it just is then shown really differently between them because of all of these these specific things that make them, you know, so different from each other. Now, all of that said, I also think it's just a matter of it being mythology, and sometimes it fits stories to have it be you know, a god's arrow or just like a god's intervention, and sometimes you want it to be a spell. And you know, there's just so many different things that contribute it to it. But also the overall idea that like, you know, across the Greek world, everyone would have believed really different things about the gods, what they could and could not do, what they did and did not do. You know why all these different things, Like everything was just so different and spread out, and like nothing was uniform and nothing was decided. So it's just kind of a matter of like such as mythology. It's the same answer is why we we can't track a lot of things chronologically in the myths or with the heroes or all those different things. It's just the nature of the reasons why these stories exist in the first place, and then also how and why they were passed down to us. I love talking about that stuff because that's why I love mythology. This reminder that like for all we hear these stories as like narrative stories, you know, like we imagine today. They weren't anything like what we have today, and because of that, we can't always understand the reasons behind, you know, the actions and behaviors of certain gods and people, and like, for me, that's the fun of it. So yeah, I mean that was a really great question. I'm glad I got to answer it because it's just a thrill for me to ramble on about that kind of stuff. Next up is Danny, who says, Hey Live First, I just wanted to say I'm a huge fan of you and your show. I've always identified myself as a feminist, but listening to your show over the last few years has helped me expand my own understanding of this and definitely grow as a person. You're awesome. I did my BA in Ancient history in Australia and remember learning about a set of characteristics that made up a Greek hero i e. He has an unusual birth or conception, has a divine parent, goes on a quest, et cetera. I was wondering what your thoughts on all those characteristics and whether in the ancient Greek storytelling they would have actively incorporated those elements into their myths. Another great question, really, really fascinating ways to start off of this episode. So now personally, and this is like entirely my own preference, I hate that kind of stuff. I know it's ironic because I literally have an English degree and it's like that is how you get an English degree, is like breaking down everything like that. But I don't know, I don't really like like to think about them in such a structured and uniform way, and I don't really think this is, you know, an answer the rest of your question. I don't really think the ancient Greeks did either when they were developing the stories. Like maybe you know, in the example of Upolonius later, maybe he was because he's like a later author who's like making a really intentional piece of art in a way that the earlier stories that we have aren't. I don't really think that they thought about it that much. That said, to like the word hero it's obviously found in Greek mythology, but like, I don't know, I think that we even just the way we describe them now is so much more uniformly determined, like these are the heroes, And I don't think that it was quite so cut and dry in the ancient Greek world. They more saw them as the people in the characters and the archetypes, rather than needing to put them in this category of quote unquote hero you know so, and I mean, like, I know, when you're doing a BA specifically, like it's really really base level, surface level stuff, like that's all I have to And the difference in what I've learned through this podcast versus through my bas like fucking bananas, So you know, I think that that's like learning it like that is just like a good way to like get a grounding in things. But when you're really deep in the ancient sources and really trying to understand the ancient sources, I think it sort of falls away and just becomes sort of just like a side piece. It's just sort of you know, you can do these things, you can break down the characters in this way, but personally I'm just disinterested in that. I like them for the character and the why behind it, the reasons why they were developed in the ways that they were, rather than you know, distinctly categorizing them into these these I don't know, categories. All right. That was really great, Thank you. Oh and she had another question. I also read a theory in one of my textbooks that the idea of the gods being related was actually to demonstrate their equality of power slash status, not necessarily that they were related related or do you think this is just wishful thinking trying to make something gross not so. I think that's another great question too. And I think that I think that like, Okay, I don't want this to sound like I am, like, you know, not giving you all the answers, but like, I think it's another it's kind of like the question at the top there, it's just irrelevant, you know, like, yes, probably they weren't developing these these ideas and concepts with the distinct notion that like they are sister and brother and they are fucking like I think it is more just these ideas of power, like you said, and status and like a hierarchy. The it's more about them being like generationally important than it is about them being you know, biologically related. I think that it just kind of didn't matter. The biology of it was sort of just an extra piece. It didn't really come into the stories. And I don't know, I think it's an interesting thing to think about, but I also think it's one of those things that's like so unanswerable, you know, like I don't know, maybe they were like really into that, who knows, right, But I do think ultimately that yes is probably more about power and a hierarchy of divinities than it was about like an actual biological relationship. All right. Next up, we have a message from pin Up, who sent me a really long and beautiful message. I just want to say that I did read it, but I'm just going to read your question here. Was there ever a time you felt like people didn't appreciate the fabulousness of the ancient Greek world and wanted to give up? On the podcast? No No, and there were like so I think I've said this before on the show, but like in the summer of twenty twenty, I was like a walking disaster. I mean, like so many were you know, it was the beginning of the pandemic. We were all trying to figure out this new life. And I personally was like keeping up a podcast. I'd started doing it twice a week and that had like really helped my download, so I couldn't bring myself to stop. I got the deal to write the book, but they gave me a month to write it, and while all of that was happening. My day job was managing a clothing store, and they called us back to reopen or called me back to single handedly reopen a clothing store in a mall in the pandemic, And it corresponded with I had to write a book in a month and keep up with two episodes of the podcast a week. And that was before I signed on with when I used to be with Acast, and they were the ones who first ever like paid me enough that I could quit my job, So it was before that, and like, honestly, if a cast hadn't come around at that time and offered me money that was enough for me to quit my job, I probably would have just fully burnt out and had to end the podcast because it was just becoming too much. But it wasn't about the listeners. It was about my own ability to do it. Every once in a while, you know, I get a little not a little jaded, but just like it's difficult, and podcasts are so kind of weird because like I both do and do not hear from listeners that they like it and that like what I'm doing is actually reaching people, like objectively, I know it, but sometimes it just kind of like falls away and I just feel like I'm I'm doing this thing. I don't know, it's really it's really interesting. But I've honestly like when I do Q and a's and stuff, it really helps me because I got these incredible messages from you people, and like you all remind me the reasons why I'm doing this right, and I get this kind of like really distinct reminder of why it matters and why I love it and who the people are who are listening and loving it alongside me, and that makes an enormous difference to me. It just like it just helps a fuck ton, So thank you all, you know, and and like just a general note, like if you listen to an episode and you really love it, you can tell me, and I will always be really happy to hear that. Like I probably won't answer all the time because correspondence stresses me out. I call it ADHD and anxiety, but I will read it and it will make me happy, like really happy, you know, especially if you comment on, you know, one of the little videos and stuff that I post on Instagram for each new episode. If you tell me that you listened and you loved it, like honestly, that makes my day all the time. Any kind of reaching out of listeners makes my fucking day. So feel free. But that's all to say. While I have had points where I contemplated giving up the podcast, it wasn't because people didn't love it, you know, which has also made it harder, and thankfully it's why I never stopped. But you know, there's been moments, but it was more about the actual work and money involved rather than you know, the actual the people who listen to me, thank you. Well, I think it's a fine time to play a clip, don't you now. In my last script, I had written down what clips I had, but now I can't touch my computer and I fear it. So it's going to be a surprise our next selection. How to flirt at sporting events and let not the contest of the noble steeds is gape you. The roomy circus of the people has many advantages. There is no need there of fingers with which to talk over your secrets, nor must a hint be taken by you through nods. Be seated next to your mistress, there being no one to prevent it, Press your side to her side as close as ever you can, and conveniently enough, because the partition compels you to sit close, even if she be unwilling, and because by the custom of the place, the fair one must be touched by you. Here, let occasion be sought by you for some friendly chat, and let the usual suspects lead to the first words. Take care and inquire with an air of anxiety, whose horses those are coming? And without delay, whoever it is to whom she wishes well to him, do you also wish well? But when the thronged procession shall walk with the holy statues of Ivory, a plod your mistress venus with zealous hand. And as often happens, if perchance a little dust should fall on the bosom of the fair, it must be brushed off with your fingers. And if there should be no dust, still brush off that nun. Let any excuse be a prelude to your attentions. If her mantle hanging too low, shall be trailing on the earth, gather it up and carefully raise it from the dirty ground at once, as the reward of your attention. The fair permitting it her ankles will chance to be seen by your eyes. Look too, behind, who shall be sitting behind you that he may not press her tender back with his knee against it. Trifles attract trifling minds. It has proven to the advantage of many a one to make a cushion with his ready hand. It has been of use, too to waft a breeze with the graceful fan, and to place the hollow footstool beneath her delicate feet. Both the circus and the sand spread for its sad duties in the bustling forum will afford these overtures to a dawning passion on that sand. Often has the son of Venus fought. And he who has come to be a spectator of wounds himself receives a wound while he is talking and is touching her hand, and is asking for the racing list, and having deposited the steak, is inquiring which has conquered wounded. He sighs and feels the flying dart, and himself becomes a portion of the spectacle so viewed. Well, that was from Avid's ours Amatoria the Art of Love. I think it's usually translated as and well that was God. I remember covering that last year around Valentine Today, because it's just one of Ovid's wildest work. Is he joking? Is it satirical? Is he serious? Is he far more misogynistic than we thought? Is he far less? What is happening? Check out those episodes I did if you're curious, because what a wild and weird work of art that piece is? All right? Next up is a question from Diamante. I hope I pronounced that right. Thank you, she says to start off, I want to say thank you Live and the team of Myths Baby. It's me and MICHAELA and we're making good team. The podcast has been a constant for quite a long time. I mean my bachelor's degree, a pandemic, a master's degree, and now a master's thesis. So yes, massive thanks. I think with all these years of independent research under your belt, my question would be what are some of the lessons slash improvements you discovered after having worked on MIT's davy for six years. If there were any or any steps or sources that you once incorporated into your work but later with experience, decided weren't so helpful. Basically, how do you think the last few years research for Myths Baby have helped you become a better researcher or writer. Oh my god, everything is better now everything. I am so much more, so much better at researching. I am so much better at ancient sources and understanding them and picking them correctly and like sharing them with you all. I no longer use secondary sources for the mythology unless I absolutely have to, Whereas at the beginning of the show, I've just I went with what I had, right, and what I had was the basics of the Internet, the knowledge I had from my BA. But it was like five years old at the time, and I, you know, had never been using it. And they don't teach you how to research ancient sources. They just teach you the basics because it's just you know, surface level BA And yeah, I really like I look back and it's really entertaining. So so a really good example is I used to use this book called Greek Myths. It's by Robin Waterfield. And I used it because I found it on sale at a bookstore. And I, at the time, you know, was was broken writing this show and it was cheap, and I was like, great, a book of Greek myss and so I used it for a while. And now I look back, and so there are moments in this book that are fucking horrifying. He yeah, I don't recommend this book basically, you know, I'm sorry to the author. He's an incredibly well respected classicist, so I am not talking about him directly. But all of that said, there are moments in this book that are patriarchally horrifying. Like the story of Medusa has all of these changes that make her monstrous and horrifying and scary and are completely completely fabricated beyond like there's nothing in the sources. You know, it's got the whole notion of her like terrorizing the lands, like really deserving this death or or that. Like I'm pretty sure it says that she it uses some things from Avid's version, and it really explicitly I'm pretty sure says that she like chose to sleep with Poseidon and Athena's temple. Oh and it says that she like bragged that she was more beautiful than Athena, which, like, tell me the source that says that, and I will take all of this back, but like pretty sure it doesn't exist. And then also the Pandora section was equally like the misogyny found in the Medusa and Pandora's sections of this book broke my brain. And now I guess that's a long way of saying, uh, yeah, I am so much better at researching and sharing those sources too, Like if you ever want to be doing this stuff on your own or learning more. I'm really really detailed in my sources that are linked in the episode's descriptions. And there's just so much online with the ancient sources, and you can really learn a lot and it's just fucking fun. So yeah, I mean, gods, am I better now? The lessons I learned, I guess if I was to boil them down just like contact and ancient sources, you know, but it's difficult to fully explain. But holy shit, am I better now? And that's what matters to me?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: And this next question is from Jennifer Lopez, and I'm just gonna go right ahead and assume it's the Jennifer Lopez. Thanks Jelo. She said I'm gendering here, and I apologize it's part of the joke, not meant to the person who wrote this, Hilf. I've always wondered this. If Helen is a daughter of Zeus, why isn't she considered a goddess? Or half goddess. And I was really glad to get this question because I think it's something that is It's one of those things that I think is our modern understanding is based both in you know, general modern understandings of things and logic, but also classical reception and how movies and TV and books about myths kind of stray us away from how the ancients really we were playing with these stories and these characters. And so that is all to say that, and it is just a matter of like I mean, so there are a shit ton of characters in mythology that are the children of gods and are have no godly distinctions at all. Helen is a good example. I mean that said, there is you know, there is stories of Helen where after she has died she does get to like kind of live as a goddess. She lives on the island of the Blest in one source, and she marries Achilles. It's very odd and interesting, and so you know, there is some kind of deification after her death in a way, but it's not really explicit. It's not like Heracles or anything, which his is like so obviously like he becomes a god and he is really the only child of a god and a mortal that gets that that like really becomes it. We even have like a good example of how, you know, there was no kind of structure or logic in terms of divine parentage. A really good example is Harmonia, right, my favorite character in myth. She's married to Cadmus. She's the daughter of Aphrodite and Ares, and she has absolutely no divinity mentioned in a single story about her, nothing, and she lives amongst the mortal. She marries Cadmus. She like, there's nothing that in the surviving sources that defines her as being a goddess at all, other than just the word she's a goddess, but there's nothing that comes across. And yet she's the daughter of two fucking Olympians, not just like you know, Zeus and some mortal. And so it's just like the ultimate thing is that the stories were developed to tell the stories, not to have a distinct understanding of biology and who had what kind of divine parentage? Is what that meant. Like, there's a lot of characters in the Trojan War who have a divine parent but don't act like they you know, are a half god or whatever. Aneas is a great example. He's the son of Aphrodite, but like he's just kind of there in the Iliad. And you know, Achilles is not a great example because Thetis like has a kind of hands on relationship with him, but at the same time, like he's not a god, he dies like anyone else. Right, Sarpedon in the Iliad is a son of Zeus. Oh God, there are so many I'm never gonna be able to name them all, but they are countless, and they don't really ever have this kind of like divine notions, so just a sort of a reference like yeah, he's the son of Zeus, but it's really common to have that, And then you get to the half of it all. So this is a great time for me to mention that. Like, so the word demi god doesn't really exist in Greek mythology, Like I think there's like maybe one or two references to it as a notion, but it is not like a broad concept. There is not like an official status of demi god or like, and it's not a term used often at all to describe any half mortal, half god. You know, like no one's out there writing ancient sources that have Heracles listed as a demi god. It's just not a thing. Wasn't the point, right, It wasn't the point. The point Let's use Helen as the example, because that's your that was your question. But like, the point is that Helen is important because she is the daughter of Zeus and Leda, and she has kind of it's like divine beauty. But the point isn't to have her be a half goddess. That it doesn't serve a purpose in the story and therefore it doesn't matter. It's just really about the intention of the stories and what they were trying to do, what they explained, what they were linked to, you know, in the in the case of the more famous heroes, Heracles, you know, PERCs, I guess the two sons of Zeus, that mattered that they were the sons of Zeus because they were going to go on to do great things. But even between those two, they don't have any kind of like aligned you know, being half from Zeus gets you x. There's none of that, because it wasn't the point. They just they were the sons of Zeus, and Helen was the daughter of Zeus to convey specialness and not really anything else. All right, now, I want to play a clip from one of everyone's favorite returning guests, doctor Ellie Mack and Roberts. Ellie joined me last year to talk about Euripides is Alcestes aka this like incredibly ridiculously beautifully entertaining tragic comedy that Eurypitys wrote. It's his oldest surviving play. It is weird and wacky and I love it so much and Ellie loved it so much, and so she joined me to talk all about it, and I want to share a little bit of that. Now. Admatist does not get any redeeming moment, Like he is just continually ridiculous and he just like he doesn't concede anything. He's just like, you should have died for me, and now I hate you because you didn't. And his father has such well said and like reasonable arguments to be made, like I think one line is like you didn't die for me, why should I die for you? Or you wouldn't and so why should I? Or there's another that's like you like your life, why wouldn't I like mine? Like it's just so explicitly like, so, no, people shouldn't have to die for one another. That that doesn't make me a bad father because I didn't want to like think about this rationally. Here, I'm not a bad person. And and literally like he just has all these deeply rationalble rational and reasonable points and then atis is like, no, no, you should have died for me. There is no other options. I will not listen to anything you say or take any constructive criticisms on how I have handled the situation.
Speaker 3: That's it, Like yeah, and then you can really tell that Fairies just gets completely like exasperated when he ye and snapped, and he kind of has that like are you just going to like keep marrying people so you never have to die?
Speaker 1: Like how is this going to work for you?
Speaker 3: And that kind of is the moment where I think, you know, because then after that is after that or before that? I think it's after that that. Admetus then kind of goes on his like well, I don't have any parents, Alcestus is my parents now, Alcestus is my mother and my fon and goes on this like deeply weird cutting himself off from like everything, and yeah, just has a tantrum.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At one point he's like, you're not even my parents to begin with, like I bet you. You guys store me from somebody and snuck me into the palace and pretended like I was my mother's son. Like he's just it's so over the top. That's I think how he starts the conversation, so it really starts it off with a bang of yeah yeah really just really nice and reasonable guy.
Speaker 3: I know I keep saying this, but like he is an overprivileged, posh white man who went to Oxbridge even though he didn't deserve it, you know, like he is that type of type or went to an ivy even though because his dad made a massive financial contribution to Harvard. You know, he is that person. And at every point his tantrum, at every point of that conversation with his dad, you know, he's increasing throwing his toys out. The prim tantrum just reinforces that, and you can see almost that like dawning realization where his dad is like, oh my god, I probably did this.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right. Next up, we have one from Connor and he says, I'm still a new listener, just start of the artisty, but wanted to comment on how much I love your enthusiasm hearing that my name is Live and I fucking love. This shit is always a joy and that energy makes me love continuing to listen even more. What's your favorite place in Greece with respect to ancient Greek mythology and favorite Greek tattoo you have or want? All Right, I think I have to say that my favorite place in Greece for this reason for the mythology is Samothrace. You know, I've rambled on and on and on about it, but it's just this really beautiful and unlike just an unbelievable place. It's so kind of underrated and nobody really goes there, but it has this incredible temple complex and it's mythologically confusing. We don't really know anything, so I guess it's a bad example for mythological but to me it's just like unbelievable and kind of groundbreaking. But as a simpler answer and one that is considerably easier for people to actually see on their own, I will hype up Delos. Fuck. So, Delos is the island. It's just this little island off of Mikinos, and of course it's you know, where Apollo was born, and it's mythologically sacred to Apollo. But now it's just this spurling archaeological site. There is nothing on the island except for archaeology. You have to go for just the site, and so you have to take a boat just for this site. It's unreal. It's unreal. And while Mikonos is ridiculous and so much more expensive than the rest of Greece, I can't even properly convey it to you. Dalos is worth it. But I will say, if you don't want to go to Mikinos, but you want to go to Delos, you can do day trips from some of the other islands, particularly Naxos and Paros, both of which are great islands to visit that are way cheaper than Mikonos, and I would argue even more fun. Unless your purpose is to just go and be Instagram famous and party, and then Mikonos is your jam. But if not, go to Naxos or Paros and take a day trip up to Delos because who oh my gosh. And tattoo. I have a lot of mythological tattoos at this point I will see. My favorite is my Badusa tattoo, because the artist who did her is just amazing and she's fucking beautiful. But I also the artist I have like a mythological whole kind of arm piece. It's like in progress. And the artist who did that too, is also incredible, and she's done amazing work. And I don't know, Yeah, they're all so fun. Tattoos are great. They're dangerously good, all right. And to bring it down a little bit, so I basically fucked up my copying and pasting of these questions on Tuesday's episode, and I read a question by Tony and they had also included a really nice message that I meant to read, but I cut it and put it here instead and remove their name. I had to go searching for it. It was a whole thing, and I just want to read it because it means a lot to me. And again, this is a moment where I'm just going to try not to cry. Mainly though, I want to say thanks. I found your podcast during the pandemic where I was going through a really rough bout of depression, both related and unrelated to COVID. I didn't enjoy much of anything and could barely leave bed. I found your podcast one day as I made a drive across my state. It was the first time doing a long distance drive since I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I had a panic attack driving and your podcast was what grounded me. Later, when I was back at home and didn't want to brush my teeth or a shower or make food, I would put on your podcast as a way to get just a bit of dopamine so I could get these things done. I felt like I was growing with you and the podcast that as you got better, despite the warning I did start at the beginning, I relearned how to take care of myself. It's truly been a joy binging your show for the last two years, and thank you for doing what you do and being the ally that you are. Thank you a lot, Like I said on Tuesday, A goo back and forth with reading these because they feel really just like their self congratulatory, but I recognize that they're not and they are at the same time. And anyway, thank you guys for sharing stuff like that with me, Like it makes it really worth it, you know, Like it really emphasizes, like what I was talking about earlier, with the few times when I have even contemplated stopping this, like these are the things that really helped me and like just couldn't possibly make me happier. You should always feel free to share that stuff with me, because nothing like it's like life changing on my part. All right, and we're gonna pick it right back up again with a question that I am. I'm so glad that Francesca asked me about this, and I just want to say that, like this is particularly relevant when we get to the question. But I when I managed the clothing store it's called Below the Belt, by the way, since I don't work there anymore, and I can say it, I worked with a lovely, lovely young woman named Francesca as well, and she was also a big one direction fan. Because the question from this Francesca is are you a one direction fan? In your early episodes, you often say truly, madly, deeply, which is a one direction song. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if you do it on purpose. Anyway, I love your podcast. I am so glad you asked that because this is I think I have to say that it is my official favorite anecdote that has ever come out of this podcast. Okay, I tell it to everyone, mostly millennials, And here's why. I In those early episodes of the podcast, Yes, I was intentionally intentionally using the phrase truly madly deeply, and yes, that phrase was intentionally referencing a song. However, however, there is a song by the nineties rock band Savage Garden that is called truly madly Deeply, and as a woman who is thirty five as of this episode, I was one hundred percent referencing the ninety song truly madly deeply because I want to stand with you on a mountain, and I want to bathe with you in the sea, and I want to lay like this forever until the sky falls down on me. Anyway, you should all go google Savage Gardens truly madly deeply. This makes me so happy, truly, So I didn't. I had no idea that there was a one direction song called that, because no, I was too old for one Direction, so I unless it played on the radio, I never knew it. I can't name a single song. And so, but last year I ran a poll with my listeners and I was like getting merch ideas and stuff. Clearly nothing happened with that. But and somebody told me that their favorite phrase from the show was truly madly deeply because they're a one direction fan. And I was like, holy shit, and I googled it and I learned, and it's just my favorite thing in the entire world that I spent all of this time like subtly referencing a nineties song that one specific generation I think cares about and that is mine. And then did I know? I was connecting with all these some one Direction fans and that just made me so happy, like truly so happy. So thank you, I love all. I love that that became a thing, like truly, nothing else makes me happier. But all of that to say is unfortunately, no, I am not a One Direction fan. However, I fucking love Harry Styles, and hey, am I gonna let's see if I'm gonna tell tens of thousands of people this? Okay, I'm just gonna do it. So last year, we all know you get your Spotify rapped, right, you all shared them with me when I'm your podcast, and it makes me so fucking happy. I love, love, love love Spotify rapped seasons. Well, last year I got my Spotify wrapped, and I don't listen to podcasts on there. I use Apple podcasts, so mine was just music. And so last year I put on Harry Styles a lot as like background music and like why while I was writing, while I was working on the show, while I was reading books. It was just kind of on a lot. And it was on so much, and only beginning from I think it was June, it was on so much in my ears that I in my Spotify Wrapped was not in the top one percent of Harry Styles listeners around the world, not the top point one percent. No no, no, no, no, no, no no no. I was in the top point zero one percent of Harry Styles listeners last year, and that is a lot. Let's play a clip of Lucian's True History, shall we? God's that reading was one of the most entertaining things I have ever done. It's the epic where there is a war on the moon against the moon people and the Sun people, and I think there's bugs involved, and then you know, there's a war inside of a whale, and then there's a travel to the underworld and a lot of herodotus shade a good times. Then we prepared for our passage and feasted with them at the usual hour, and the next morrow I went to Homer, entreating him to do so much as make an epigram of two verses for me, which he did, and I erected a pillar of berylstone near unto the haven, and engraved them upon it. The epigram was this Lucian the gods beloved did once attain to see all this, and then go home again. After that day's tarrying, we put to sea, brought onward on our way by the heroes, where Odysseus, closely coming to me Penelope might not see him, conveyed a letter into my hand to deliver to Calypso in the island of Ogaigia Rhadamanthus also said Nauplius, the ferryman, along with us, that if it were our fortune to put into those islands, no man should lay hands upon us, because we were bent upon with other employments. No sooner had we passed beyond the smell of that sweet odor, but we felt a horrible, filthy stink, like pitch and brimstone burning, carrying an intolerable scent, as if men were broiling upon burning coals. The air was dark and muddy, from which distill the pitchy kind of dew. We heard also the lash of the whips and the roaring of the tormented. Yet when we not were to visit all the islands, but that wherein we ran was of this form. It was wholly compassed about with steep, sharp and craggy rocks, without either wood or water. Yet we made a shift to scramble up among the cliffs, and so went forwards in a way quite overgrown with briers and thorns, through a most villainous, ghastly country, and coming at last to the prison and place of torment, we wondered to see the nature and quality of the soil, which brought forth no other flowers but swords and daggers. And round about it ran certain rivers, the first of dirt, the second of blood, and the innermost of burning fire, which were very broad and unpassable, floating like water and working like the waves of the sea, full of sundry fishes, some as big as fire brands, others of a less size, like coals of fire, and these they called licknic skies. There was but one narrow entrance to it, and Timon of Athens appointed to keep the door. Yet we got in by the help of Nautilius, and saw them that were tormented, both kings and private persons, very many of which there were some that I knew, for there I saw kunterest tied by private members and hanging up in the smoke. But the greatest torments of all are inflicted upon them that told any lies in their lifetime and wrote untruly, as Catessius, the Canadian Herodotus, and many other which I beholding. Was put in great hopes that I should never have anything to do there, for I do not know that I ever spoke any untruth in my life. We therefore returned speedily to our ship, where we could endure the site no longer, and taking our leaves of Nauptilius, sent him back again. All right, I have a question now from Ellie, who says hi live. First off, I want to say I love your content. I'm a very avid listener and I'm so happy to have a strong women giving me my myth fix. Any who, I was wondering if you ever plan on doing a live reading or a book signing slash meet and greet thing again in Victoria. Much love, Ellie. Also, who's your favorite nymph? Well, I think my favorite nymph is Calypso because of the odyssey of it all, even though she is a problematic as a fuck. But I'm glad you asked about that, because actually you prompted me to finally remember to reach out to the people at Indigo here in Victoria, and so I will be doing a book signing at the Indigo in the fine Mayfair Mall. That's sarcasm. Mayfair is ridiculous. I will be doing that on Saturday, August twenty fifth. Nope, twenty sixth. I will be doing that on Saturday, August twenty sixth at twelve pm. We'll do I think it's twelve to two. And yeah, you can come have your existing books signed, or you can buy new ones and have me sign them. And yeah, I will announce it more on social media and things. But because you asked there, we are so thank you. And next we have one from Laurel, who says, I can't believe it's been six years. I found you at the end of your first and have been hooked ever since. I've loved following your journey and immediately got your books when they came out. Your passion for all things Greek and your authenticity makes for such an enjoyable podcast. I particularly enjoyed the Atlantis and Sparta series you've done in the past couple of years as a history nerd. I love the conversation episodes with the academics. I can't wait to listen to your next series. Love you so much, Live and I truly hope to read your novel book, Cadmus and Harmonia someday. Well we'll see about that last one. Adhd is a bitch. But otherwise, thank you so much for that message. And I will say that I recognize your name from the last six years, so thank you for being around this long. All right, I've got one from Autumn but spelled with a Y. I love that. It's lovely. And they said, I've heard another theory about the story of Medusa, which Athena actually turned her into a monstrous form to protect her. Additionally, from what I understand, her image was often used to depict safe houses for domestic or sexual abuse. I was wondering if you had heard anything about it, or if the theory had any sort of validity. Maybe you've already covered this. I'm afraid I haven't made it too far into your episodes yet. This is a great question. I think I've talked about it in the past, but I'm really happy to do it again, because not everyone listens to that, and it's a question that comes up super often. So this is like I've seen it in a meme form, honestly, and it goes around fairly often, this idea that Athena protected her. And while I understand the intention behind the theory, because it does make it on the surface, I feel like it's nicer, but if you really break it down, I personally don't like the theory at all because it implies that protection has to harm and that's just sad, you know, like in order for her to be protected, she had to be completely isolated from the entire world and not really be able to be around anyone and all of these different So I personally don't like it for that reason. In terms of any kind of validity of the theory, Like it's really impossible to say because these are these are mythical creatures and people, and you know, we'll never really know the intention, not least because so often you know, they're just these fragmentary sources or you know, authors that probably weren't real people or all these different things, so we'll just never know. But I personally don't. I don't like that theory. It bums me out. I don't think it's nice once you actually dig a little deeper. Now, as for the safe houses for domestic abuse, unfortunately, that is a misconception that also goes around the internet a lot. If you google it, it will seem true. It isn't as far as I understand it from speaking with historians and archaeologists who have talked about how it is. You know, it goes around as a as a fact, but it isn't really a fact that said she was an apotropaic device. Her head was. She was a protective form. You know, her vision was used as a protective kind of talisman. Let's say. So that's true. It just wasn't directed at women or domestic abuse survivors or victims, because uh yeah it wasn't. It was just like a broad protective device. So that's not to say that like some people might you know, have used it that way, but it wasn't like an actual symbol for that. It was a broader symbol of protection. Yeah, so's it again. It's one of those things that sounds so lovely, but it is unfortunately not factual in terms of the ancient world itself. All right, Next, one I have one from reen or Rhine who says, what's the best experience you've had traveling and what's the worst? Thank you for all you do. Your podcast always makes my day better. Thank you so Obviously, I've done a lot of traveling to Grease lately. I recognize there is an intense amount of privilege that I have had in being able to do that. I want to thank you all for supporting the podcast and helping me get over there so many times. I do recognize it is not a normal ability most have. All of that said, I honestly like I have such a good time traveling over there, especially when I'm alone. I've never really felt unsafe. I don't really go out it late or like party or anything, so maybe that helps, but I've never I've never felt unsafe. I've always had an amazing time. Everyone is always so lovely. I think I can name one one person I've ever encountered in Greece who was mean. Honestly, like, I don't think I have any bad experiences. Best is just all of it is the thing, Like, I really just can't say enough how nice it is not only to travel through Grace, but also just to travel there alone as somebody who likes being alone. Yeah, I really don't think I have anything bad to say at all. All right, now, let's play a little clip from this episode that I did with Antonia Aluco. Antonia is studying intersectionality alongside witches. I'm going to forget the exact details, but that's basically it. It was fascinating, and we talked about Madea and Circe in Avid really specifically, and Antonio was just so much fun to talk to you. So I want to remind you all of that episode. Go back and take a listen.
Speaker 4: And so if we look at which is using insectional theory kind of like as the magic use being an extra layer onto their discrimination in the ancient world, then we get a very very specific picture of this kind of overly extreme, very chaotic, very monstrous figure whose you know, sexuality, age, gender and ethnicity all play a part, and how she's perceived in the ancient world.
Speaker 1: All right, I have one here from Thor and I'm going to be paraphrasing this question. I mean, I've paraphrased a bunch of them, but this one I'm going to do kind of in the moment. So Thor says Hello, liv I have been listening to your show for about three to four years, and I am in love with your podcast. As a person who loves Greek mythology, it is wonderful to see a person who is passionate about the subject as I am. I enjoy geeking out with you over your expertly sourced episodes and wonderful storytelling. Thank you. That makes me happy. Okay, I have a question regarding the offspring of certain deities. As I've broadened my knowledge of mythology, I have always found it interesting that some gods produce godly offspring, while other encounters with different characters may result in mortal children. And then they provide some examples here which I'm not going to read. There is most certainly not a definite answer to this question, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Is it due to the characters having different versions of who their parents are compared to other sources. Did the individuals who source these genealogies believe that there was an explicit reason for why this occurs, or is there godly or mortal status of no importance at all compared to the legacies that are that these characters left behind. So I realized while reading that that I've basically I answered that earlier when I answered the question about Helen, but I wanted to read it anyway because I think it opens up the question far beyond Helen in a way that a lot of people often are questioning for themselves. So, just to kind of reiterate, there is no hard and fast rules or definitions when it comes to having a divine parent. A lot of times when it comes to mortals, it's I mean, like I said, with Helen, it's really just a to signify a kind of specialness, a kind of individuality, something that sets them apart from the other mortals. And then sometimes you know and say in the case of Heracles, it also signifies strength and abilities and all of this. So it's really on like a case by case basis of what the character needed for the story, for the plot, what have you. Like, it just is totally dependent on the story, the source of the character, the purpose behind it, the intention. Like yeah, it's just sort of there's no hard and fast rules about Greek mythology and what happens in those stories, like at all, no rules, no canon, no defined anything. That's what makes it fun, it is also what makes it confusing. If you're trying to put modern rules storytelling, plot, narrative, if you're trying to put these things that we now consider to be sort of the norm, if you're trying to put them on Greek, I can get baffling and annoying. But if you really remind yourself that these were not developed as stories in the way that we think of stories now, they were not you know, nobody sat down and thought out the plot of the Iliad. People thought out the plot of the Iliot, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't one person sitting down and being like, I'm going to tell this story in the way that I want. What's more likely is that, you know, it started off as one little bit of a story, and then it expanded, and then other characters were added, and then other plots were at it, and then other you know, narrative devices were added that you know, we got the background on these characters a little bit, that we got more details about why they're doing what they're doing, or what's happening or all of these different things would have been developing over so much time that like, yeah, there just wasn't ever a purpose for us to be Like when you have a divine parent, this is what results. It just doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. It's about signifying something else within them, and what that something else was was just completely dependent on the character of the purpose, the god, what have you. Yeah, I hope that makes sense. It's a very interesting thing to think about and explain. But also like because it is so sort of amorphous, it's also difficult to explain. All right, next one. Next, I've got one from Kelda and she says, Hey, live love your podcast. I was listening to your Adonnas episodes, which was excellent, by the way, thank you, And it struck me as very similar to Persephone's abduction and to Helen's abduction by theseus. Just wondered what you think about possible connections or if the reason Adonnas gets more agency than either of those women is because of his gender. Good old patriarchy, Am I right? That is a great question, and I agree it's very similar to Persephone's abduction and to Helen's abduction. And while I think it would probably be silly to say that the fact that he's a man doesn't come into play, I think probably it's more due to sourcing. Because of so, I'm gonna, of course forget all the Adonna's sourcing, even though I only covered it like a few weeks ago in my head. But Adonnas is very fragmentary and kind of missing things, and a lot of the stuff comes from later sources that are like sort of explaining things from an earlier time. And to me that kind of inherently it means that that the authors who are are kind of coming up with this stuff are more like I was talking about earlier, like a Polonius of Rhodes, you know, the Argonautica guy, somebody who is setting out to write a story. Whereas so using the example of Persephone her abduction, myth right is retold originally, and by originally I mean you know, it's oldest surviving source is the Homeric hymn to Demeter, and that is from the Archaic period, I believe. I know some of them are sort of debated, but what that really means is just that it is considerably older. It is more of a cultural a cultural story, but like a it's it's ideological right, it's explaining something, it's giving the background on God's like the story of Persephone's abduction serves a very different purpose than the story of Adonnas. And of course the story of Adonnas, you know, like we found out not only is it really ancient in terms of the Greek mythology, but it's coming from the East, and so there are going to be a lot of things in that story that are as old as the Homeric him to demeanor, but they don't survive. What survives for us has been given a bit more of a modern notion, you know, And so I think it's really a matter of what we have to look at now. The helln one is more difficult for me to say, I don't remember what the source is for that. I think actually I think it's something like what survives is is Pseudopolodorus probably, which is quite late, and the Helen one that was generally baffling because it is general like most THESEUS myths are are Athenian propaganda because he was he was developed quite late and then like slotted in to the older stories.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So like the purpose behind having theseus abduct Helen is to not only provide a kind of explanation for Sparta versus Athens, you know, in their rivalry, but it also is to sort of retcon Theseus into Homeric characters and a Homeric timeline. Right the Athenians who are wanting Theseus to be their big hero guy, to show off how important and valid Athens is. They are slotting him into the story that shaped Hellenic culture, right, the Iliad. They want him, they want a piece of the Iliad, and Theseus can't be just put into the Iliad because it's existing, you know, it already existed by the time Theseus was being developed, and so what they had to do is slot him in around there. You know. It's why they made him cousins with Heracles, It's why they had him abduct Helen fight the Dioscori, like, all of these things are to sort of cement Theseus amongst the more famous and the more culturally relevant Greek characters. All of that said, it's still wild that they were like, We're gonna have him kidnap a child, Like, I don't have an explanation for that. It's so weird. But all to say, I do think it's more about sourcing and what survives and what the intentions were behind it. I think it's more about that than it is about the patriarchy, which I recognize it is quite unique for me to say, of course, there is going to be something inherent in the fact that he is a man and the way those values change. It's really similar to the story of Zeus and Ganymede. Right Zeus subducted Ganymede's Zeus's one really obvious male lover. He was the child, and it also does not It also gives us this idea that Ganymede wanted to be there, and I think that that was probably because they were just more concerned with the desires of men explicitly in that way, so they like kind of made it seem more likely that they wanted to be there, whereas women just kind of were property inherently already, so they didn't really have to It wasn't so much that they were being I think, uncaring towards the feelings of women, but since women were inherently owned by their husbands, they didn't matter whether they wanted to be there, whereas men were supposed to be the ones who, do, you know, the possessing, and so they kind of had to make it seem like they wanted to be there. If that makes sense. These are theories on my part entirely, and a lot of it is based on the fact that we don't have a lot of sourcing on these particular stories, or a lot of varied sourcing. Of course, we have a very detailed homeric him to demeanor, but we don't have a lot beyond that, and so it's just sort of a matter of, you know, working with what we have and trying to figure those things out. But again, those are all theories on my part. I don't want to say anything with you know, definitively all right. Next on, I've got one from Lily, who says, Hi, live and team love the show. My question is more of an advice one. I am studying archaeology and have to write an essay on an archaeological site we study this unit. But I can't decide out of these two options, Mycenie or Paphos, which is on Cyprus. I was leaning towards myceni but after your Adonnas episode, I'm torn. I would love to hear your input. Okay, I will say this is entirely based on my Adonnas and then the Eastern Aphrodite episodes, but go with Paphos. Fuck, Pathos seems so interesting. I am now obsessed with Pathos. I have to go to Pathos. I want to learn more about Pathos. I think you should choose Paphos. Thank you for asking. That was fun and very relevant. And you know, now that I've said that, I think it's time for another clip. So why don't we go ahead and listen to a great moment in the conversation I had last year with Caitlin Bolding, who talked about Plato's Timaeus, which is, you know, the first mention we have of Atlantis. But there was so much more to that dialogue of Plato that I didn't know. And also talking to Caitlin was just so much fun. And I feel like this is an underrated episode amongst my listeners, and so I want you all to revisit it. Here is a clip from that episode. You know, well, if Solon did really hear this, then these different things could be real. And I'm like, yeah, but you're misunderstanding. Like the whole point is that, like, no, Solon didn't hear this because Plato has no connection to Solon.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing, Yes, you know who would love that Plato Plato.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is.
Speaker 2: This is Plato's whole game, right, Like, yes, he's setting this up. And then so we've got festival context to these dialogues, and that's the setting. And they're having this conversation at a dinner, right. So you're at this cultural event that takes place over multiple days. It's a big deal. Everyone comes into town. And there's the side events which are actually like probably more interesting, where you're having these conversations with Tamaeus, who you know, he's in town from southern Italy. He's reached the peak of all philosophy and critias who may or may not be like the tyrant. Okay, the fact that Plato also puts this into the mouth of the same guy who is both his like uncle and maybe one of the thirty tyrants is wild. I have many thoughts about this which I cannot substantiate in my TVD read this chapter of the Dissertations. But then within this backstory, it's at another festival that Crittius learns the story. And again this is a fiction.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: I've got a question here from Chloe, and she says, do you think archaeologists will find more of the stuff we don't have or have we pretty much found all we expect to. Is there the possibility of some of this lost stuff being out there somewhere? Oh? What a fun question. And now again I will preface this with like, I am not an archaeologist nor a historian, so this is all guesswork on my part. But I would say that a safe guess is that we'll never know whether we're done knowing, Like, we'll never know if there's nothing more to find. Obviously there's a shit ton that's still lost. Right. The thing about texts, I will say texts are considerably more difficult or less likely to be found because of the way texts are and are not preserved. They just don't last, right. You know, Papyrus, where a lot of things were written down, it lasts, but only in specific circumstances. It's why a lot of the fragments of Sappho that we have we only have them because they were on papyrie that was then being reused in mummification and therefore it lasted. But a lot of the things that they wrote texts on just don't survive there. You know, it takes like these really sort of freak moments for them to survive. I don't think that that means there isn't anything to be found whatsoever. It's just that it is. I think it's just more difficult if my understanding is correct. In terms of everything else. I mean, they're finding stuff all of the time, right, all of the time, they're finding these artifacts that open up new avenues that explain things. They're finding you know, mosaics and you know statues, all of these things, and those things all really do contribute to countless things, but they do contribute to mythology because a lot of the time, Like, Okay, so if you find a mosaic, you could actually find an alternate myth in a mosaic, and we might not have a text source for it, but by it inherently being in a mosaic, we know that it was at least a story that somebody knew, somebody thought up, right, So even without texts, we're still learning more all of the time with like everything that's found. It's fucking amazing. I love that I'm friends with our chael hunters now because I feel like I get such better insight and just like just paying attention to that stuff. Like, really, they're finding stuff all of the time. It's pretty it's pretty fucking incredible and exciting, all right. Next, I have one from Eleanor who says, are there any stories of Persephone that include her time out of the underworld. It always struck me as odd that she's only there for one third of each year, yet most stories involving her have her in the underworld. For example, you know Orpheus and Theseus's friends Abduction love the podcast. Thank you. That's a great question, and I think it comes back to something I was talking about in Tuesday's episode, which is just that at least in terms of what survives and what we know, and often I think what was probably being written down what we have is what was necessary. Right Again, this is all coming back to everything I've been talking about this whole episode about intention, the why behind these stories, why they were being developed, and when it comes to Persephone, for the most part, the why is aligned with the underworld, because you know, Demeter's handling the harvest, and while Persephonie is the goddess of Spring, she's just more important in the underworld. She is more important as the dread goddess as as the queen of the underworld. If you go back to the stories of her that do exist in the underworld, she becomes pretty obviously like the more important one, which is amazing and so interesting, and so I think that it's just that she sort of had more weight down there, the stories of her down there mattered more. Now all of that said, the thing that Persephone is very famous for that is technically speaking probably not in the underworld is Eleusis. Right, the Ellucinian mysteries were the mystery cult out of Eleusis. It's just outside of Athens, and that is completely devoted to Persephone, Demeter and then often Tryptolemus, who is this kind of like the son of Demeter. He's associated with them. I don't know enough of the Elusinian mysteries. They're on my like to research list, and so like, I can't say anything with definitive nature, and I don't think there's a lot of stories that revolve around Persephone and Eleusis. But she was, you know, the goddess of Eleusis, and people were doing a lot of really really important ritual stuff when it comes to that location and the mysteries and her, and so she does have these connotations outside of the underworld. Spring time generally, you know, general growth of the earth, all of these things, but they don't align with stories because no one's necessarily a story about spring happening. It just happened, Flowers just grow, We don't need to talk about it kind of thing, you know. Whereas everyone wants stories of the underworld, people traveling down there, all the different katabasi is that plural for catabasis, I'm assuming you know all these different things. There's just more reason to have stories of her down there. So it's not about her, you know, not being up on the upper land or them not thinking about her on the upper world. Rather, I'm sure that they thought about her up there a lot, but there was no purpose to a story there. It all comes back to purpose, and like what purpose these stories served in a way that we will just never fully understand because it's just not how our society works. But it is the reason behind mythology broadly, right, I fucking love it all right. I have one from Addie here and she says, I absolutely love your podcast and have been listening for years. It was really thanks to your podcast that I decided to do a bachelor's degree in classical studies I'm graduating this fall. For my question, I was wondering, other than witches, do you know of any Greek mythological creatures that are perceived differently to the Romans. Thank you so much and much love for one. Congratulations on graduating. It's so wild to me that people have done degrees at least even in part by this show. That's so fucking cool. Yay, But okay, your question. That's really interesting. The witches thing is fun because I don't know that it's necessarily something that's like talked about all that much. I just think it's fucking fascinating. But I do think it just is. It's a cultural thing, right, It's like it's just the sort of gap in between Greek sourcing and Roman sourcing. But I won't go into the witches. You guys can listen to past episodes where I've rambled on and on them, but bat Or talked to experts in it as well. But I mean, I think there's probably a lot just because again of the same kind of cultural disconnect. A lot of the stories that we have from Rome are just coming from considerably later and they're well, what a surprise, they had a really different purpose. They were serving a really different purpose, and so things change. The underworld is very different place. I know because it actually gets kind of described in a way in the Eneid in that like it never really gets fully described in Greek mythology. It's just kind of like disparate notions and ideas and people and rivers and such.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't really think of any other good examples, So it's a fun question. I'm glad I both read it, and then I kind of wish I had something better to tell you all, but thank you for listening. Next, I have one from Marisa, and she says I thought about this while falling asleep the other day and can't say I've ever heard someone ask it before. What would Athens have been named if Poseidon won the contest Poseidon's I just need your opinion on this. I'm so curious. I think it would be Poseidonia. I think there was a Poseidonia. I feel like I'm pronouncing that as if it's a pside letter Poseidonia. Yeah, I think I think that's what it would be, even though that sounds like modern though I'm trying to think of like places that end in O N. I don't even know It's interesting though. I like that question, but I think that today we would have said Poseidonia po sidonia. I'm pronouncing it like a pside. I'm keeping all of this in. You guys can hear how much I've just gotten inundated with the Greek language without actually learning enough of it. Okay, I have one to hear from Mary, who says, what's your all time favorite sappho fragment? Also apologies, apologies for nitpicking, but the correct pronunciation is les Vos, not les boss. I'm a Greek and this is my absolute pet peeve fun fact. Les Voss is also the home of Uzo. So just a great island all around. Mary, I am so glad, so glad that you emailed this because it's something I am really excited to talk about and to share with people, because I think that it's really important. So Number one sappho fragment, I'm just gonna say I have a sappho fragment tattooed. I'm actually just gonna lead me into this question or to the rest of my response. I think so I have a sapho fragment tattooed. It is translated roughly as I would not dare touch the sky with two hands. It's kind of my little gnad at all of those gods. You know. I have it tattooed in the original Iolic Greek on my collarbone, and every time I go to Greece, multiple people will stop me because it's really visible. It's right on my collarbone, and so somebody everyone will stop me and just be like, that's Greek, and I'm like yes, but and they stare at it and I'm like, can you read it? And they're like no, it's baffling, and I was like, I know because not only is it ancient Greek, but it's Iolic Greek, which is what Sapho, what Sappho spoke, but also it makes it so they like these some different letters than Attic Greek. And so I think even when Greek people know ancient Greek, they know Attic because that was the more broadly understood or Oromeric, and both of those are different from Iolic. And so I've had people tell me it's wrong, and I'm like, I'm not gonna correct you your Greek. It's not my place to correct you, and that's fine, But in my head, I'm just like, I know it's because it's iolic and they were really weird. But all that to say, so number one, I should have been pronouncing it sap fo for this response, because you're Greek, and I know that in modern Greek, actually in ancient Greek. Two it's sep foe. So now because of the spelling in Greek, because you know English, we have P and pH and pH makes a f sound in English, right, But because it's a P right next to it, we don't differentiate them. We say sapho like as if as if the the pph is just making that f sound. Now, reasonably that shouldn't be the case. Right, there's two p's, so it is sep foe, particularly because in Greek there is there's two different letters. Right, there's the P. It's not a P, but in English it's a P and a pH. The letter pH is a letter, and so it is sap fo. Anyway, you didn't ask what sap fo. I respect that you didn't correct, that you correct my life, and you're not wrong, but also you're a tiny bit wrong, but I'm not I promise I'm not telling you you're wrong wrong. So yes, it's lesvos, no question. I know the island now is les Vos. When I'm in Greece and talking about the island, when I'm talking about the modern island, all of that, I am always saying lesvos. I want to make that clear. That said, I wasn't really that clear on it when I recorded that episode, but I am now. It's lesvos. However, etymologically speaking, the bee that I know in Greek beta is now veda and therefore les vos. But in ancient Greek that bee was more of a B sound, because the bee beta is what gave Latin the bee, which is what gave English the bee. And then over you know, the course of the two thousand years in between modern Greek just ended up at some point, you know, the pronunciation changed and it is a v sound now. So all of that is to say that it is acceptable in English. I will say, English people speaking ancient Greek will say les boss or lesbos with a B sound, and that is because the understood English pronunciation of ancient Greek, and by that I mean English people pronouncing ancient Greek is to still hit the beta with the B sound, and in modern Greek it's lesvos. But I know that in Greece, you pronounce it les vos even if you're talking in ancient Greek, so I'm not saying that's wrong. But in terms of how how English people are taught ancient Greek, we still say the bee in ancient words. But again, I'm really glad you asked that, because I think it's really really interesting to look at how you know how English people are taught ancient Greek and how they understand the pronunciation. I'm being really wishy washy with how I phrase this, because it's my understanding that that most academics who study fully study ancient Greek the language will say that it it was a B sound back then and that it is a v sound now. But I don't know how Greek people learn it when they learn the ancient Greek. So I do, and I don't want to. I don't want to say that anyone's wrong, but that is generally the accepted way of reading those letters. But again, in modern Greek, one hundred percent lesvos, no question, lesvos. Absolutely. I hate uzo, though I'm so sorry. I want to love it, but I fucking hate, like licorice tasting anything. USO's like the one Greek thing. I just I can't do it, and it makes me so sad. I want to go to Lesvos so bad. Though. For our last little clip break, I'm actually gonna play two because I couldn't pick between them, so I'm playing them both. So these are two episodes I did last year. Again, there are two episodes that I think are pretty underrated in the grand scheme of my conversations, and so I want you all to listen to a couple little bits of them, and you know, maybe want to go back and have a listen to the whole episodes, either again or for the first time. The first is with Christi Vogler, who came on the show to talk about women and magic and medicine and like basically how women practicing medicine in the ancient world were treated like witches, but men practicing it were doctors. Like that's a real generalization. Christy has so much to say. Fascinating, fascinating episode. So here's a clip of that, and then it's going to be followed by one of my favorites. For the sheer volume of both fascination and silliness. I was joined by Kate Miniti, who I swear, I'm just not Italian enough to pronounce your last name correctly. I'm sorry. Kate is so much fun. And Kate came on to talk about Herodotus, but specifically Herodotus and in Egypt, because Kate is an Egyptologist, and herotodas said some really wild shit about Egypt, and it was just so much fun hearing all of that. We had a ball. So please enjoy those two clips and take a listen maybe to the whole episodes of the conversations that I have shared with you today, because they're just so much fun. I love my conversations. Oh what a joy.
Speaker 5: So, for instance, at Pompeii, Ria Berg has done some research of a pair of medical tools found in one of the houses there, and she's identified one that actually has a person's name written on the tool, and it's Sperata, And she makes an argument that this is a slave woman's name, and it starts to become the question of like, all right, if this is a slave woman, what is her relationship with the different patients she would have in the house, Like what is her relationship with the domina and the potter familia? Like how does she balance care for them? Versus care for slaves, especially like if slaves are coming to her for pharmacia, that would allow them to have an abortion because they don't want a child born into slavery. And how do you balance the expectations of both sides and navigate that, which, to me is the most interesting questions you can ask about the lived realities that these women had that never get commented upon in the literature we see a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I imagine nobody was writing that kind of thing down And I think that's why I like.
Speaker 5: The other reason I like this moment in the NIDS so much is, you know, there's a big debate about going to Greek and Roman literature predominantly written by wealthy literate men of the time, and like how much can you actually learn about women's lives.
Speaker 1: From their point of view? And I you know, arguably.
Speaker 5: There's a lot here that it's it's definitely a skewed view, but like that instance, like all of a sudden, you think Virgil is thinking about his own mother taking care of him, or these stories passed on if you go back to Homer, like who survived the Fall of Troy? It was mostly women who were enslaved, and they're the ones who desperately want to tell the stories of what happened. And so how do those little glimmers of what women experience actually make into the literature itself? And trying to pick those out is really exciting for me if I can find the physical evidence to go with it.
Speaker 6: Because Egypt, as we know, was considered was held in their high regard from the Greeks because it was a very ancient civilization. They were revered as doctors, priests, magicians, slightly reentalistic. I mean, I hear, you know Edward said rolling in his tomb, but you know, uh, they were. They were held in very in very high regards. So Hrontus is trying to to prove that, like many things that the Greeks were doing well, are coming from Egypt, including the gods, which is one big thing because sometimes when people read Book two, he's using the Greek names of the like the Greek names of gods to indicate Egyptian gods. But that's not because he's trying to make it easier for his readers. He's actually saying these are the same gods. Interesting, Yeah, he's really really trying and this and with the gods. It is fantastic because like the lengths to which he goes to try to fit several Greek gods onto like to map them onto Egyptian gods. So thats it. It doesn't quite work.
Speaker 1: No, their gods are so different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he has he has always like, oh, well, a moon is Zoos and like, okay, well, he's technically the head of the pantheon, but a moon is not a sky god. He's the hidden one. He's like the god. You're like, okay, well, that's that's fair. And like a moon has the the ram horns, and Zeus sometimes has the ram horns. Okay, I can see that. Hathor and afradiety, that's okay. You know, fertility goddess is sex, drugs, you know, happiness music, Okay, that I can see that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Then when you get to like, oh, Neath is Athena, It's like, yes, a warrior goddess, that's fair, but Neath is not a goddess of crafts. She's really like a warrior questionable rise Helius, that's fine, you know, the sun god and everything else. And then you get like, oh isis is Demeter?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, no, I don't see that no, that that's that doesn't that doesn't really work, and like nothing against Demeter, like Isis is the great of magic.
Speaker 6: She's like the like one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful Egyptian goddess. She knows the secret name of Ra. She can control him because he knows the secret name. And Demeter is really not that.
Speaker 1: No, she's important, but in her own way of like ear.
Speaker 6: Right, the similarity is from is from the story of like isis going around the earth to try and gather the pieces of her husband, which fair, Demeter does that too, but just to find to find her daughter. But then he conveniently ignores the rest of the story and the rest of the rest of what isis is and the fact that her child is not a daughter but like Ason. So it's it's it's it gets complicated that even like Osiris and Dionysus. Yes, Osiris gets killed and then is kind of reborn, but he's still a mummy and he's still in the underworld. He's the rule of the underworld, so by those standards he should be hated, but he's not. Yeah, see what I get.
Speaker 1: At, It's yeah, complicated. Syrus of Dionysus is like, I don't get that at all. Ept is so interesting because there you can make other like obviously there's a lot of connections between gods across the Mediterranean, but it is harder to map them onto Egypt than it is even to map like Phoenician gods and like an Assyrian gods onto Greek, like they fit better than the Egyptian ones do, at least in my limited knowledge. But yeah, and the.
Speaker 6: Other issue with Egypt is that like every province or city has its own very specific gods. There are so many, there are so many, And sometimes he takes a very specific god from like a smaller province and makes it into you know, a larger one and that doesn't really work. Or he takes a goddess that is relatively important because she's one of the of the two ladies that signifying Egypt, like she's the goddess Wadjet and she's a snake, and he says, oh, yeah, she's lethal, and why how did you get there?
Speaker 3: How did that?
Speaker 6: You know, how did that happen? And of course he tries to fit in Greek mythological figures and heroes, but he has to kind of make them into gods. So he says, oh, clearly, Apaphos, who is the son of Ayu's clearly the appis Bull, which was a relatively new cult in Egypt at the time, relatively new like a millennium, so, you know, relatively new.
Speaker 1: In Egyptian no other culture.
Speaker 6: In Egyptian times. Or he's trying to say that Heracles is clearly Egyptian, and he's the god Consu. But Consu is a lunar god. And yes he's he's a warrior, but he's mostly a lunar god, and he's a god, he's not a hero. So he's he's trying, he's trying to make this or percious. He says, oh, he's the probably the god of Akmen. But the god means is clearly not percious. He I was about to say something vulgar. I'll say this and then will cut it. He has something long and jutting, and it's not a sword. He's a little falling god. So he's trying to make these days. But he he really wants to make this connection and to crime in the Homeric tradition into the chronology of mythology of vijub.
Speaker 1: Okay I have a really, really fucking lovely message to read here. This person did not provide their name. This made me so happy. Okay they say a little weird. Sorry. I was just listening to your conversation episode from last year where you talked about sea creatures lash monsters in myth and in it you mentioned you were homeschooled. I was homeschooled as well, and I've always felt embarrassed by it because I feel like I missed out on normal kid experiences and common learning opportunities. Hearing you mentioned briefly about your experience helped me feel a little more comfortable with mine and has started me down the path of sitting with those embarrassment feelings rather than suppressing them. Listening to your podcast has helped me in so many different ways, but I think this has been the most impactful. Not a question, really, but I wanted to thank you for the time and effort you put into the show. It's the highlight of my drive to work. I can't imagine not laughing, crying, cursing theseus along with you and all the other listeners. This made me so happy. I was actually with my mom when it came into my email, and I had to tell her about it because obviously she's the one who homeschooled me. But yeah, so I was homeschooled until grade five until I was ten, and I fucking love it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, though, I agree, like I really was embarrassed because I didn't go to school and I didn't do those things. And you know, when you're a kid, you just want to be normal. You want everything about your existence to be like everyone else is, because when you're different, it feels bad. And then I think, you know, the more you get older and everything, like, depending on the situation, some of those things change. And for me, I just became kind of excited that I was homeschooled. For me, I associate it with like for one, you know, and I think I've said this before when I've mentioned it, but like I was not like religious homeschooled, which I do think probably has like a different connotation if you're no longer religious, all those different things. Like I was just my mom was educated in a way that she could have taught at a school, and she just wanted to do it. I was like hippie homeschooled, you know, very you know, that kind of vibe, And for me, what it amounted to is that, like, I just don't remember having to learn anything before the age of ten. I don't remember having to sit down and do my school work or do homework or sit in a classroom or anything. And whatever my mom did worked great because I went into school and I was like reading at a like fourteen year old level and all these different things, and instead for me, all I remember is a childhood. And it also helped that we like had all these different things that I think made it really easy for my mom. There was a big community out here because everyone's a fucking hippie, and you know, we were able to do these big group things. So I still had a lot of interactions with other kids my age, and it was kind of like school, but like never in a classroom, and it was just great. So anyway, I don't know I'm explaining all of that, but like, I fucking love that you hearing that made you feel better about your because I don't think there's anything to be ashamed about. I don't know how old you are, but if you are younger, you know, the older you get, the less school remotely matters, you know, And it just became it becomes that like that bit about your life in the past, like I I was homeschooled. I finished twenty five years ago, because that's how math works, and that's weird. And so for me now it's just like that thing in my life that made me weird and different, but like doesn't matter anymore and it's just kind of fun. And now I use it as like a silly anecdote when people are like, yeah, when I was in grade one, or yeah, when I was doing this, and I'm like, I don't remember, or not even I don't remember. I don't have that experience. I don't have an experience before grade five, which is kind of wild, and I don't know. I just then made me really happy, And I hope that you continue feeling good about it, because there's nothing to be embarrassed about. It doesn't matter, like being in school doesn't matter. School feels like it's the most important thing in the entire world when you're in it, and then once you're out of it, like why the fuck did I stress out so much about what other people thought about me back then and what was weird or not weird or normal or not normal, Like it just falls away to an extent. Still care what people think, but not about school anyway. It made it meant the world to me that you heard that and that it helped you. It's really cool and it's really fucking nice reminder about what this show does for people. And again, sometimes I have this like disconnect because I just sit in my apartment and I record this, and like, yes, I have social media and stuff that connects me with you all, but that's about it. And like it's really nice to have this personal moment and have that shared with me, and I just it makes me really happy. Thank you so much. I'm really glad I helped. And I hope you keep getting more and more comfy with being homeschooled. It's just a fun anecdote for me now I hope it becomes that for you too. Okay. I have one from Paris and they said recently, my coworkers and I played BA trivia where we had to guess popular survey answers to questions. The question asked, besides Heracles and the Olympians, who is the most famous Greek hero. My team correctly answered that the public would have would submit the top answers as Achilles, Odysseus, Jason, Perseus, and theseus. However, one coworker was adamant that Icarus would be in the top five. I did my best to explain that he is from Greek myth, but not necessarily a hero, and he had no quest nor did he slay any monsters. But my coworker wasn't satisfied. Is there a better explanation of heroism that I gave than I gave which would explain why Icarus isn't a hero? Yes, and no. Your reasons were absolutely valid, and they would be what I would say. Icris is not a hero, That's all there is to it. Just because you're a man in Greek myths doesn't make you a hero.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Even like so, the thing about the definitions you used, which again I would have used to they don't apply to like say, the heroes of the Trojan War like their heroes, but their heroes in a different way, because it's more like they are sort of pre hero They kind of come from this realm before, not chronologically before, but like like in terms of the stories, but like historically before the Greek heroes, and so they just kind of fit in their own category because like you know, Achilles doesn't kill a monster right, But it's difficult because the answer is just simply that absolutely Icarus is not a hero. You can just play me saying this if you want, but no, I mean your reasons were very valid heroes in order to be like a quote unquote hero, and I already talked earlier about how I don't think that the ancient Greeks would necessarily define it in the same way. Nor do I think that they really thought too hard about what made a hero and like aligning their characters with those things. I don't think that they thought about it too much. I think it just kind of resulted this way. But yeah, Icarus would have needed to have some kind of divine origin. Usually, he would have needed needed to defeat someone. He would have needed to do anything. Honestly, Achros doesn't do anything. He just sucks at flying and then he's done. Yeah, it's hard to define why he's not a hero because because it's so obvious that he's not a hero. I hope that was helpful. I really enjoyed this question because it just made me go, like, of course it Chris isn't hero. How do I even define? Of course he's not hen't he does nothing like what I would want. I guess instead, is I want this person to give you one reason why he would be a hero, like I think, actually that's the better way of handling it. Give me one reason why Icarus should be counted amongst Greek heroes, just one, because there isn't any. It's hard to do. It's hard to deny something that's not there, or you know, disprove something that never existed. I don't know how to define that, but I think you get me. That was one, all right? Now we have one from Becca, and she says, first, I just want to say I have been obsessively listening to your show since I discovered it a few years ago. I think I listened to your whole back catalog within a couple weeks, and I eagerly awaited Tuesdays and Friday since then. So thanks for providing me with such an interesting, informative, and hilarious way of wasting my time at work. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how much the ancient Greeks actually believed the stories that they were telling. They worshiped the gods, but did they think that the stories they heard were true, that the gods had actually done those things of myth. I also wonder about how much of the epics like the Iliad and the Odyssey that they would consider to have happened in real life. I know you said you're not familiar with the Christian Bible, but it's often accepted that many of the stories contained it are not truthful but meant to prove a point. So I was wondering if the same could apply to the ancient Greeks in their mythology. I know this is super long, and I apologize, but I love to think about this stuff, and I hope that you continue the podcast for many more years to come. No, that was a great question. It was not too long at all. Okay, So number one, and I'm just gonna say this real quiet. The Bible is just as much mythology as Greek mythology. They're not different things. Okay, okay, uh yeah, So I mean the Iliad. I'll start with the Iliad. I do think that particularly during a specific kind of time period, maybe say let's say the Archaic period into the classical I do believe, and again this is an I do believe. These are my theories. I do believe that the Trojan War was accepted as a cultural history. I don't know what people would say if you were talking to them about it and you were like, Okay, yes, the Trojan War happened, but like did Aphrodite actually save aneas? Like, I don't know how much they would have, you know, explained that, like, yes, the gods were just as involved, like really hands on involved. I don't know, but I do think, yes, the Trojan War was cultural history in the same way that Homer is cultural history, right, they believed that Homer was real. As for the mythology itself, I think sort of a fifty to fifty I think that I don't know. I think that again, I think that they weren't necessarily concerned with how real it was. They were concerned with what it represented, what it meant for them and their culture and their history and who they were as a people, as a defined kind of group. Like, yeah, I don't think it was just I don't think it was a huge concern. You know, they worshiped the gods, They believed in the gods. I don't know how much they were actually, you know, worried about zoos coming down and like assaulting somebody or smiting them or what have you. Like, I don't really know. I really wonder, and I wonder what kind of actual history there is about this, Like I wonder if there is any better answer for this love to hear it, because I think it just sort of wasn't a concern so much. The Odyssey is trickier to say too, Like, I don't know. I think that they thought Odysseus was real. I think that they believed he was the king of Ithaca. I think they believed he had trouble getting home. If you were to ask somebody, you know, really specifically, if the cyclops was real, if he really let the winds loose out of that bag and fucked himself over, like all these different kind of more magical things, I wonder what they would say. So I think it's just sort of really unclear, really amorphous, really dependent upon the person, the time period, the questions you're asking, the things they're thinking about. Like I just yeah, I think it's not answerable, and I think that's what makes it interesting. So I'm really glad you asked, all right. This next one is from Evan and she says, I absolutely love the podcast. I've been listening for years and currently always have it playing when I am working in the office, I run a DNA group in a world based around Greek mythology. I use your podcast in book pretty much as a bible when I am planning sessions and things. It makes me. It makes so much easier for everything being in one place. I just want to say thank you for creating my favorite podcast and that you are absolutely fantastic. Have you ever thought of traveling to the UK, specifically Scotland, but London works as well. We aren't really a large nation to attend cons or do an event. God, I would love to. I really think the problem with everything around my doing of any kind of events is that I started doing events in November and then February, like it was November of twenty nineteen when I did my first event, and then February of twenty twenty when I did my first big event. So, needless to say, kind of just stopped right in its tracks and it's kind of I really haven't been presented with any opportunity since then. That said, I also haven't gone looking, but I would love to. I want to go to I really want to go to London because I want to go to the British Museum and I want to see all the stuff they've stolen since they can't see it in Greece. But I would also love to see Edinburgh, just purely for my own desire to see Scotland. So goals. Yes, in anything in the near future, not that I know of, but it would be really fun. I gotta make it happen. I don't know figure it out all right. Next question, second to lasts from Liz, who says, HI live big fan of all your work. Been listening for about a year now. I was curious to know if you'd ever do a trip to Greece with some of your podcast listeners. Well, Liz, if you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen this already because this was inspired by you. This was I have been asked a lot of times whether I would do a group trip to Greece. A lot of times you just had really good timing on yours. But in the past I've always kind of written it off because I am an incredibly introverted and anxious person, socially socially anxious, and the idea of having to host and entertain strangers gives me the kind of anxiety that might make a person in play but then I thought about it more and more and I thought, Okay, ultimately it would be really fun. I just have to find a way that it won't make me anxious. So I'm currently working on that. I'm hoping to find a company that will handle everything so that I don't have to so that I don't have to be stressed at all, so that I don't have to entertain or worry about, you know, anything. And once I figure that out, we're going to do this. We're going to do this thing. We are not least because when I posted this this notion on Instagram, I had like three hundred people interested. So I think it's time. So stay tuned very early stages. It's literally at this point, it's just me being like, Okay, I can do this if I figured it out right. And now we got to figure it out right, so stay tuned. But I do I want to make this work all right. And my last question, my last question really important. I saved it for last. It's vital. I think it's absolutely vital. It is from Airy who says, what is your favorite dinosaur and which god or goddess would they represent? Great question. I don't have good reasoning for why. My immediate answer is a Trannosaurus Rex and arrows, but I'm gonna go with it. I got no reasons, king lizard, king and arrows. I don't know why. Thank you. That was great. Fucking love dinosaurs though Drassic Park for life. It's great stuff. Dinosaurs are super cool. Oh my, dear listeners, Thank you all so much for listening, for sending in your questions and your comments and messages that may or may not have made me almost cry again. It all really means the world to me. I forget how much I love these purely because I feel real validation in what I'm doing and that it's really worth it, and that I helping, that I'm just like making a difference, and that you guys all really take something lovely away from it. It really made me feel so good to read these and to share them all with you, and just to get them generally. It's really nice. And I don't know what else to say, because I have trouble being sincere. While not trouble being sincere, I have trouble being vulnerable. I have a lot of trouble being vulnerable. And that's how this feels right now. So I'm just gonna wrap up again by saying thank you enormously, truly, thank you. Thank you for listening. Thank you for listening to the show. Whether it's been a month or six years or whatever in between, thank you. It helps me so much. Listening helps so much. If you review me on Apple Podcasts, you're a game changer. I fucking love you. It'll just thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Faristopoli. I am live and oh my god, I love this ship so much and I love all of you, and I love my job, and I love everything. Thank you. Okay, bye,