Speaker 1: Oh hi, hello there, I am liv and this is Let's talk about Miss Baby, and I am here with yet another conversation episode. And as always questioning why I sing the title of my podcast, now, let me just say that there is a few like are a little wild coincidence happening in this episode, and that is aside from the fact that it was just like seriously fun and genuinely hilarious to record. So I spoke with Jerome Ruddick, who's studying his PhD at Newcastle University in the UK, and he told me everything I didn't know that I needed to know about material culture and real life humans interacting with their mythology during the Hellenistic period of ancient Greece, but specifically in regions in Arcadia, on Crete and even in the Phoenician city of Tyr which was ruled by Hellenistic Greeks at the time. We recorded this episode ages ago, actually, like before I even went to Greece. Probably we recorded it in like I wanted to say, March, maybe it was April. It was a good long time ago, but I had so many episodes recorded at that time that it's just now coming out. And what do you know, we even briefly mentioned how Aphrodite has origins in the Phoenician goddess Astarte.
Speaker 2: What are the chances? I love it? And Jerome talks about how she's not alone. The Phoenician hero Melkart also gets major ties to the Greek hero obviously Heracles particular during this period. Absolutely fascinating. Anyway, it was super fun, super fascinating. Jerome was fucking hilarious and called Pausanius big Pe multiple times as though that was just like the only thing to call him, and frankly, it's just become one of my favorite things, you know. So here we are conversations not to have a go at big Pa Pausanius material culture in the Hellenistic period with Jerome Ruddick. I really was excited about the topic you presented because I obviously know Greek mythology like the back of my hand, like really know. The story is like far too well at this point I think.
Speaker 3: You probably know it bets that I do. To be honest, actually I'm actually a lot better than I do.
Speaker 2: I'm I really like, I yeah, I don't try to hold back on my knowledge at this point. It is kind of excessive. The stuff that lives in my brain. But one of the things that I don't know that much about is like actual daily like life when it comes to this stuff. You know, like I know the sources and I know the stories, but one of the things that's so exciting about what you kind of proposed is this way of kind of talking about it in relation to the actual humans of that world. So like, why don't you just start by telling me like a little bit, what about what you study and when it comes to that and kind of yeah, really anything you want to say, but sort of an introduction on what you what you do.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So I'm at the moment, I'm studying I'm studying Greek mythology, but I'm studying it in relation to identity and material culture. So it's how it's how that you function with one another, and how not any Greek mythology couldtributes to Greek identity, but how material culture is this like really important factor in allowing these myths to find root in these Greek communities and kind of make them more tangible, more kind of verifiable, you know, like really build them into Greek society. And that's that's really what I'm doing. And I'm looking at three communities as we do so at the moment, which we'll expand later. And that's crete place in Arcadia called like a Surah and the Phoenician and some of the Phoenicians tie on the eleven tine coats. O. Nice, that's very exact geographical mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I now already have so many questions and you've literally said like two things. But first, I think so because obviously, like my show is really for just like any old person who wants to learn about this stuff, which is the best part. But why don't can you just like give a quick explanation about like what material culture entails?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely so material cultures. It's really quite simple. Actually, everyone all the scholars trying to make sound complicated, but it's not. It's material culture. It's it's cups, its, it's pots, its sculpture, it's those, it's pediments on temple stuff like that. Everything, everything's material culture. A spoon is material culture.
Speaker 2: So I think it's like physical Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much, obnestly pretty much. Yeah, that's it. The clothes could be a type of material culture too, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, that's yeah, that's the thing, Like I've been learning more and more about that, and thankfully I get guests to come on and talk about that kind of thing. But like that's the kind of stuff that's so hard to sort of research on your own, which is why I love having these conversations. But like it does really impact so much about like the actual people like living these lives. Anyway, I'm clearly getting excited already, and I'm so yes, please tell me more about any of those places, or any of these things or literally anything.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing with the start, and actually you mentioned a point just about how it's hard to research material culture. I agree with that because the first time I started the research into this topic, I ended up reading this really strange book about It was about classical sculpture, but it was from I think it was from the nineteen thirties or something. It was a little bit nineteen thirties issue. You know, they're a little bit they're very they really love the Greeks, but not like we love Greeks like you a kind of weird like clonial type way. It was a bit dodging. I was reading this book, going, what am I reading here? This is a bit funky. I had to throw that aside. So that's kind of where you went up and you saw like a terriic culture like oh no, sculpture and gets weird factors. I don't blame you, basically.
Speaker 2: Especially in the nineteen thirties, like that's the time period where they're like revering them as if they're just like the absolute most everything. Yeah, exactly, Like that just comes along with so much like like the Greeks are amazing, but like let's not pretend they're better than anyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah that they're good, but they're like seventy percent good, not one hundred percent good. Yeah, they're good, fun, you know, middle ground good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm just I'm just that was I'm slacking off the Greeks. Now, I love the Greeks. I should be doing that.
Speaker 2: I mean I do it too, And it's my territoryer to love them, so we can also criticize. That's the whole point of like, yeah, I think it's important.
Speaker 3: Reason debate discussion. Okay, so what was the question now, because I've lost it.
Speaker 2: I mean honestly, also, I love doing this is like just just let your brain go. It's fine. I have ADHD. It goes everywhere. Yeah, yeah, And I'm also like, I mean, honestly, there's a lot of people in classics who have ADHD. It's it's kind of nice because I don't feel like my brain is going to throw everybody off. But I'm also like newly on medication and like, we'll see how anything works as I.
Speaker 3: Have questions about that, but I won't interrupt the podcast of that questions.
Speaker 2: No, but I get all that interest my god. But yeah, So I mean honestly, like I just want to hear anything. So my question was on I was really just like talk about anything. But I'm excited about all those regions. But I also don't want to like jump from one or like I don't anyway, I'm getting to this.
Speaker 3: Let's start with them. Okay, let's start with a very brief overview. I'll do like a Surah first, because it's kind of my favorite at the moment. It's well, I think I know the most about, which is helpful to stop me from pausing and in a knowing, So like a Surrah. So it's you know, Arcadia. Hopefully everyone's familiar with that because there's so many good stories in Arcadia. So in the region of Arcadia around sort of about the central area a little bit closer towards Sparta, so that it's hard to do about a map, but hopefully you're going to put the phones and look at that. But there's a town called like Asurah, and it's near this town called Megalopolis, which becomes very important because about again, I think it's three six eight BC, right, Megalopolis kind of go crazy and they want to take over everything, like we're going to take over these towns. So they get all the sanctuaries and either they destroy them or kind of take their sanctuary bits and like collate the mid to Megalopolis. So then Megalopolis is basically the sort of cosmopolitan hubful the sanctuaries. But the interesting bit is when we read the ancent sources, like a Surrah should have been destroyed too, because it's really close to Megaopolis, but it isn't. It stays a life for some reason, like it's sanctuaries intact, it's towns intact. The microsomes are having fun and things, and they say Pasdeas says that the sources, he's the main one we have sources about for this. He's like, oh yeah, like a serious vive because of Despoina, their local goddess who in the Megalopolins are like, oh yeah, they're nice, we like her, she's cool, and they let and they let them live. So it's really fascinating because then you're like, oh, my god, myth saved them. The mythology literally saved them for being well destroyed in the worst worst case.
Speaker 2: I also just love the idea that are like a place called Megalopolis is like gonna take it over everything, Like I feel like with that name, it's like, well, that was bound to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think, to be fair, I think they may have created the name because particular for everything the small smaller lot Polis before and then when they start ticular like I'm going to change it to middle Lolis and then become Megapolis.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, just you got to make it work, right, It's like, just convince everyone that you're the biggest by calling yourself there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're too fair. Well you know what they say, like what once again, faket team make it And apparently they made it eventually, so they got that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Despoine is so interesting because I've done like some really base level research on like I don't even know if I've researched on something like her. But the word is also often used as an epithet, isn't it Like I feel like it? Yeah, So it's really interesting. It's like both a goddess and an epithet, so it can be used along with like other goddesses, but then like as a physical or not physical obviously, but as like an actual technical goddess. Is she really specific to that area of Arcadia?
Speaker 3: Oh? She is not? Off hand, I appreciate it, like you're very shit hot on your stuff. We're dish of expected, but like you know, yeah beautiful, So yeah, she, yeah, she is. She's very specific. So basically this is interesting. Dspoyna is supposed to be we think persephone, you know, the springtime, all that Haiti stuff, So apparently it's another form of her, right, but they call it Daspoyner, and it's a bit of a mix whether or not. That's supposed to be like a sort of cultic like mysteries and Lucian mysteries name for her or something else. But it's supposed to translate to the mistress and basanias in his text also goes, we don't know her real name, and no one says it, you know, like so it's getting really mysterious and kind of a little bit like I don't know the word I'm looking I don't know what good word I'm looking for, kind of sexy, like you know, it's really kind of titilating. But but no, it's it is a very specific name to spoilne Is. She is very very specific to Arcadia, and I think there are some references of her, and I think it's like I'm on some of these smaller Greek islands, but it's pretty rare. It's it's not not universal. No, no, no, she is absolutely like Assyrian goddess, an Arcadian goddess. She's very in that region. Yeah, she's very cool.
Speaker 2: It's okay, here's more of my like deeply niche and unspecific knowledge that's really contradictory. Regardless. So I when I was last in Athens at the Archaeological Museum, they have this thing there the like I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, because it's.
Speaker 3: Like I have idea, but please go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm going to try to like describe it. But it's basically it's marble, but it's a like marble rendition of like a piece of clothing, and it's incredible. It's like all these folds and like it's unbelievable and it's all about her and like there's so many things on it. So is that, like you clearly know what I'm talking about obviously, because it's amazing. But is that something you've studied specifically, because I would love to know more about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is something I study specifically.
Speaker 2: I forget what it.
Speaker 3: Oh, so it's it's cool. Then to spoint is veil or the veil of Dispoina, and it would have been attached to the back of her I min mean this, but I know no one can see it, so just done, picture me my meaning there's a veil coming out of the back of her head. And this is literally what their of study. So I can tell you quite a lot of doubt it if.
Speaker 2: You please, because also I can share pictures of it when I share the episode because I took somebody I forget who it was, but somebody on Twitter like classics Twitter like asked me or just put out a call being like I need pictures of and I was like I'm one of the archaeological museum, Like tomorrow, I can take them, so.
Speaker 3: I have pictures too. To the point, I was there taking pictures of it, and the people in the museum were staring at me weirdly because I've been there for ten minutes taking pictures, and I was like, I looked at them, and my wife came up to me as well, and she was like, you need to stop taking pictures because I think they think you're like planted a bomb or something on the veil. Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took like every single angle. I think I have like twenty pictures of that piece.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, that's absolutely you need to because it's it's so intricate. It's really it's not it's cool. Okay, I'll tell I'll tell you about it. Okay, I'll tell you the the most interesting thing I think about it. I think the most interesting thing about this, And this is coming from this is not entirely on me. This this is from a scholar called Planetice I believe on planet Is who basically did most of the the the legwork as far as far as I can tell about this, but basically it looks like the so the cult group in general, the whole court group of Despoina, but particularly the veil. It looks like it's like collated mythologies from across the Arcadian region, right, So it's stuff like there's Zeus, there's Side in the Pass, there's there's there's zoomorphic images, so like a huge hybrid figures, like you know, half human half animal, and it seems to have collected all these Arcadian myths, all these local Arcadian myths, and put them on this veil. And it's really interesting why they've done that, And I've got some opinions. I'll share that and then like a separate bit, but I've got some opinions on why. But it's really fascinating. So they use material culture basically to get all these myths and kind of shove them into like a SIA, so like a series, kind of a sort of a patron, a holder, a guardian of all of them, which is, well, I haven't I think you only really see it at a sleepy the escleep on you Sclepias. They usually like collato loads of mythologies there, but otherwise I don't know if I've seen that happen anywhere else. I'm sure there's someone listening who goes, oh, there's tons. You're a fool. You haven't you know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know too much about integrates. It's fine, but we can't know every year.
Speaker 3: It's a big it's a big country, you know, and they spread out so far that you have to look at like half of Asia before you can really start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that piece is so incredible too, because, like I feel, I mean, I'm sure it wasn't necessarily unique in the ancient world, but in terms of what survives, it's fairly unique in the way that it is so incredibly detailed, like you're saying, featuring all of these different myths and like characters and things and just like one like marble piece of fabric.
Speaker 3: M Yeah it is. They they've really gone they've really gone overboard. But one of the most interesting bits about it, and to give a form like a visual picture, is there's along the bottom there's a string of dancing animals, like half human half animal figures dancing. They think they're danced in festivals. They're playing like bagpipe, not bagpipes, not playing that Scots. I don't think the Greeks had those. I think we can reliably say they're playing flutes and such, and then they're dancing around liars and flutes and it's it's it looks like basically it's an image of festival. So it's looking like like a sura or maybe maybe may have had like a regional like a festival, a regional festival which they had took place in like a We don't know as well, because the town is basically gone. They haven't found any evidence for it. Like we know it exists because there's some work by a few very talented scholars who have who have apparently looked at the rocks so the mountains around and be like, oh, I could see there was a town there, and I'm looking at going. I mean, I consider myself an archaeologist. I did. I had to sit in a muddy field and dig for two years, but I'm like, uh, I can't see that. But anyway, they did, and apparently there was a town and it may have happened in that town, but we can't find the town, so we don't know if it happened. It does like a festival happened based on what the fe says because of the dancing animals, which is super cool yeah, there's like some sort of like magic festival going on which we don't know about.
Speaker 2: I mean, God, Like, there's just so much stuff like that where you're like, just this thing that like maybe was a thing, but we have no proof of it. But what if it was. If it was, Like it's like half of ancient Greece, and I fucking love it.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's it's a mystery box. Grease is a mystery box so much.
Speaker 2: That's why it's the best. Yeah, I agree that is I love that, and I love that I could remember that piece so well, but like.
Speaker 3: A plus, like I mean, I don't want it so like like yeah, yeah, it's funny crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like if I learn a thing once about ancient Greece, it tends to stick in my head forever. Nothing that I need on a daily basis, but ancient Greece. Yeah, it's sticks.
Speaker 3: That's pretty lucky though, because I learned something about Grease ten times and it doesn't stick in my head and then I make a note on it, and then I mean, and then I stopped. The only reason I remember this stuff is I've been doing it for three years now, and even then it took it took it took it to the second year for me to really be like, oh I can I can recall this at will you know?
Speaker 2: So exciting? Yeah, yeah, so okay, is there any other pieces from that area that are I mean, I don't know if anything is quite as interesting as that particular piece, but like when it comes to that like material culture of that region, not.
Speaker 3: Of a veil, but of zoomorphic type images there is from my Greek really sucks. I'm going to bok to this name. And I don't know about figure thiker Lea. I think it's it's pilgea Pilga or one of those. It's it's it's it's in the Arcadia again, but it's got They call it Black Demeter, and it's because apparently she's supposed to have the head of a goat. So very Arcadian really, because Arcadia is also a place where they were supposed to have made Pan as well, you know, the god of the wild. Gee. I just learned of Pan from Percy Jackson. That's where I first met him. But yeah, so they so it's very Arcadian. These hybrid figures are super Arcadian. You've see them all the places too. I'm not going to pretend they're completely unique, but they are. They're pretty Arcadian, you know, it's a real staple of Arcadian mythology to have hybrid things.
Speaker 2: Well in Arcadia is like the whole. I mean, it's like kind of the center of the Peloponnese, right, and then it's just very wild and like I feel like it's the place, right. It's also one of the places where Atalanta was like raised by bears in the mythology. Like, it's just one of those places that it doesn't surprise me that it would be sort of the most heavily associated with animals and wildlife and all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, Zeus was also supposed to be raised like him, But of course the Cretans would have something to say about that, because like handful of yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah exactly, and everyone else, everyone else. He's clayed that Zeus was born in the house somewhere, like Zeus was born here, he's our patriot. Gods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like five mountains that say that that's where Zeus was raised, And I like, to be fair.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe Zeus was just a very big child and he covered all these mountains. Yeah, bits of him, or or maybe Zeus had like four twin brothers and then like you know, twins at that point, four identical brothers. Then maybe he ate them all like Chronos. I don't know, who knows. It's probably more just the Greeks, the Greeks being the Greeks, which, frank you, we like this, We're going to take it and put it in our culture. Does that make sense? Doesn't have to, We don't care.
Speaker 2: You know, like enter Heracles, who went literally everywhere and did things in every different city because every one wanted a piece of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will literally and he had so many kids because of all the women and men wanted to a piece of him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, you just had to be everywhere.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I will say. I would say a last bit about our kaide. Yeah, this is this is me basically plugging the research that I'm doing and what I think is interesting. So I think my pet theory. I think some others share bits and pieces of this, but I think I think this is relatively unique to me as much as it can be, and stuff like this where everyone's done it everything. So basically it's the idea that this like a sur of Colt group basically was created by this there's two interpretations when it was created by Megalopolis. That's the boring one. I don't like that. I like the one that like serr Cras stick because it's it's more unplucky, underdog style. It's the idea that Megalopolis is basically taking over all these communities and they let like a surah stalelife. Great. But it seems that like Sir may have commissioned this ards called Damathon to come along about when is it again, I think it's one hundred and ninety eight BC or like two fifty it's it's about it's about like second to first century. He comes along, right, and he builds this statue for them, and I'm thinking they used it to try and retain like autonomies in their identity. So they're like, Okay, we're still a life. That's great. If we collect all these mythologies, you know, we collect these mythologies and all the regional places, not even could increase our own status, we could also give ourselves like a new, fresh, powerful identity to combat the kind of the pull of Megalopolis, the controlling influence of Megalopolis. And it's kind of how they established autonomy in the region by taking this statue, you know, click to all the myths in the material culture, so using it to using it basically as like a sort of mini Bible almost, you know, to like have all these plate these myths in one place and then then capitalize on that to to basically stay alive against Mechaopolis, which is I think is a fascinate if it's if it is true, which we would never know unless a new source comes out with some guy Goods who we created the statue because we want to do, which won't ever happen. But it's true. I imagine every day I imagine that I'm what he finds it so I get to take credit. But it's it's fascinating. It's really great dabasis plucky underdog trying to survive against the lure of this really powerful city, and they're using mythology to do it. That's how they get their significant power identity. It's how they survive. And that's that's fucking cool. It's terrific.
Speaker 2: Well and Okay, so I also I really don't have a good grasp on Greek history after the Classical period because I've just focused all of my interests on archaic and classical. But it's interesting to me that all of this was happening so late too, because I don't know. I always just imagine the Hellenistic period as like just all these kind of big powers across the whole of the Greek world taking control, versus having this idea of like a city in Arcadia trying to take control of like the rest of Arcadia. But I don't know anything what was happening with the Peloponnese at that time. But is it like somewhat unique or like what was the deal there?
Speaker 3: You know, it's not really unique, catch because as when we go into Crete, you're about to hear exactly the same sort of story, but it's no. Basically, Alexander the Great dies obviously, and then everyone goes goes insane trying to take a rese empire. Yeah, because why can't we all just be friends and be like, you can take that bit, and you can take that bit. Oh well, but you know, so you get all these these Hellenistic kings that pop up instead because Alexander's given them the model for k shit. That's a good well, it's a good idea for one person, not for most people and then basically get expanded cities over the place. I mean, it's it's it's more complicated than that. I can't remember off the top of my head, and some Hellenistic expert on this is going to come along as I'm an idiot, but yeah, loads of kings, loads of expansion. Basically, it's like the Greek world. It's like it's again like a completely it's again a glass and like thrown on the ground, it shatters. It's all of like the Greek world just goes into pieces and everyone starts fighting for themselves. So this idea of megalopolis taking over and then a city trying to in my interpretation, we're trying to rebel against it is it isn't actually a typical for this period, really, you know what I mean. I can't think of exact examples, but no, this you probably get to see more of it if you did, if you did your research.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've only I've had people want to talk about Hellenistic period or maybe just one, but it was more so but like the kingdoms in the East and everything too. So I just realized I have like no grasp on what was actually happening on like the Greek mainland during the Hellenistic period, which is kind of sad. But I just I mean, I like the Classical but then I get people on to talk about Hellenistic and then that's interesting too.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's fine. I mean, to be honest, before, I still have done this out for you. I like the Classical two as well. And then I was I remember I got told don't do the classic eafone does it do the Hellenistics. I was like, I was like, okay, fine, I'll do the Hellenistic and I was like, wait a second, this is really interesting doing this.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting because yeah, I mean, Classical is very sort of like quintessential. It's like what you think of when you imagine.
Speaker 3: It's the Classical is the Classic period.
Speaker 2: Of three exactly? Yeah, I mean, yeah, I love learning more, but like Arcadia too kind of just like goes under the radar, you know, it does, especially like when you like the Classical period, because it's just sort of there. But I did learn, I mean, when I was covering Sparta recently, it was interesting to learn how much Arcadia kind of really kept itself sort of separate from the whole mythology of the rest of the Peloponnese, who were all like, you know, we're Dorians, whereas the Arcadians were like, no, we are Arcadian, Like we have been here since?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like they say they've been there since like before the moon or something cool like.
Speaker 3: They do well they do it says like like a sir, is the oldest city in existence, which amazing, you know, probably not to have a big p, but it's probably not true, like the oldest city of all time. You know, I probably not, but actually there is awkwuds questionence that they were around prehistoric times. Oh cool, really, so actually he probably wasn't entirely wrong. They were probably really old. The oldest city's maybe a little bit of a stretch. But he got excited, you know, you know hear me just gets excited. He goes around, right, So this.
Speaker 2: Stuff that I like the idea of a guy from like first century is it around that for century Cee being like, yeah, I know, what's the oldest Like they've been around two thousand years so they're the oldest city ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I imagine, see I was, I was when I have a picture for saying this. I always imagine he goes around he's talked to the low course and he has some old guys are actually oldest? Ship yeah, and he's like, oh really and writes it down diligently, and it's like, yep, come on, man, that guy's drunk for saying you can't trust him.
Speaker 2: You know, also like, dude, there can only be one if you're saying it's actually the oldest. Where I can imagine him being like these guys say they're the oldest, and these guys say they're the oldest, and just like.
Speaker 3: Who's correct? And he's like, I don't care to write both of them down.
Speaker 2: As just exactly. I also do have to focus on you calling him big P. So thank you for yes showing that upon me.
Speaker 3: I had to to be fair because I've realized the more and more work I do in this, the more I realized I completely reliant. PA, saynya, so I'm going you're not you know you can you can deal with the scholarly. Oh what we caught he's not blah blah reliable, but now you know what, he gave us a lot of good stuff, so you know, yes, yeah, big Pe. He deserves his nickname.
Speaker 2: He absolutely does. I did not know nearly enough about him. I swear I've only really been like learning about him for the past less than a year because I just happened to have had a bunch of guests on like unintentionally, who are just super into Pustaneus, and now I'm just kind of obsessed with him broadly. But I recently learned, and I think it'll be fine and it'll air before this episode. I'm just thinking about my timeline. But like, I recently learned that we didn't even know his name until like so many hundreds of years later, and like, like that's fascinating. He just kind of visits enigma, but turns out he's so helpful.
Speaker 3: No, I know, that is the amazing. And to be honest with you, I won't lie. I'm not going to pretend I know. I think I don't know as much part pasanias as I should, so I'm going to rely on what the other people and you know, so, yes, I'm sure we did. I didn't. I didn't actually know. We didn't know his name actually very much. I looked at his work and not as his history. But wow, yeah, okay, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I know I had no idea, so yeah, I had a guest on to talk about like Greece during the Roman period, and so he kind of went more into detail on Castaneus and like, yeah, it's really wild how much he sort of was like not a helpful source or not like utilized as a source until like maybe only like three hundred years ago, and just sort of was super unknown. And then we come along and we're like, wait, this is actually so helpful because like turns out this guy just walked around, asked questions and wrote them down. And how fucking cool is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, to be fair, I need to I need to say one thing about Roman's the jolly Cumlates, I believe is what I've got my supervisor. That's where he cooled to me. He said, he mocked it to himself with a jolly Cumlates. I always remember that. So that was quite funny. But I always imagine, like when I think about these old scholars, you know, right to historians, and I always I love the idea that personas may have been dodging around doing this thing, and everyone's like, we don't care, Personius, who gives a crap, you know whatever, And then and then us later and like he is a godsend because he's like the only one to survive. So he's the only work we've got, so we're like, he's amazing. Whereas obviously I don't know if there was like a geographical community and everyone was like spitching on his work, how personius he said that sityous the oldest one and that one was and he has no idea he was talking about. And there's like some great guy called like Derek the Greek and he's got like a really beautiful, like really well researched piece of work, but obvious we've lost it, so we've just got like crappy personias, you know. And then I'm not to haven't got a big p but you know what I mean, Like I just I just think it's funny that he may he may literally be the we don't know, but he may be the dregs of you know, ancient historians. But he's the only one we've got, so we're like, he is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's the case with so many cool sources like that, where it's like we really we I don't necessarily know the deal, but it's like he's what we've got. We've got to love him, like Postanius is so interesting and I just love him. But I do think what you're saying about like him maybe being I don't even know, like I'm trying to remember what this guest, but there was like something where he was kind of seen like that. I think for like a really long time, I'm trying to remember what this guest told me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know this. I would love to know this because this would just be hilarious to me.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, the episode will come out fairly soon, I think, or in a little while, I don't know, but like, yeah, Dan Stewart is the one who told me this, and it's like this the Roman period episode that'll be coming out. But it's just, yeah, it was really fascinating hearing kind of about what Pausanius was sort of viewed as or how he was understood in the ancient world, which is that I think he got like very little respect or appreciation in the ancient world. I know, And like, meanwhile, yeah, we come in and it's like, no, it's actually incredibly helpful to have somebody who went around and like described the things he saw because they're gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so amazing, I know, I do wonder like without get us two topics, I don't want to go for Greeks, but like I do wonder about if our entire society was eviscerated by a new Tomorrow and we all die, we kind of got Greek affised, where you find stragglers in the ground and you're like, oh my god, this was I do wonder what would survive enough to give people an idea of the world, Like, you know what, I don't know if Big Ben got destroy to people like there was once a big tower and they're like what you know what I mean? I want to where they would get that evidence from nowadays?
Speaker 2: You know if well, and we have such weird things and there's so much like time period in between that. Yeah, like you just kind of find any and everything or like find a museum and then be extra confused or I don't know. Yeah, that's interesting to think about.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, I was just a yep, yeah, tell me about gree.
Speaker 3: Tell you about cre Okay, I will start you with crete and then I will wait for question questions help focus me. So I will start with another few Cretan the Hamnistic period. Oh god, this is interesting, this is I said really unenthusiastic when I said that it is interesting. It's not, oh, create in the Hellenistics so interesting, No, it is good. Okay. So basically a lot of scholars and other people really interested with with crete in the Minoan period, which I don't give two flying rats there was.
Speaker 2: I didn't really like pretty cool back then, but fine, it is.
Speaker 3: It is cool, but like you know, it's also like, oh, well, I don't know everyone does that.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't crete douring the Helistic period. It's interesting because we don't have a lot of information about it. I mean we do, but we kind of, like with all these things, we do, but we don't. But the interesting thing is crete is kind of Creeks built in an aristocratic society, much more than other places in Greece are. They're a bit they're kind of like the oh I was going to use I was going to use a bad stootype. I'm not going to use that. And they're sort of like the black sheep of the Greek world, you know, in that they're different. And there's a scholar called Plybeus, a historian rather called Polybius, who says they're all what do you say, rape, rapists and murderers, which, by the way, isn't true, as you probably can guess. It's not an entire eyeland full of rapists and murderers. But Plybeus didn't really like them. But I think it's because they killed his dabt or something at some point to you had a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Polypius, Oh my god, Plybeas was he was from Mecaplas. Oh yes, he was coming back.
Speaker 2: I always think of the Athenians for stuff like that, you know, especially I.
Speaker 3: Don't blame you. They usually are, frankly, but he wasn't.
Speaker 2: He was interesting, especially when it comes to Creed. I always think about that because I'm kind of obsessed with the idea of like the whole Theseus and Minotaur just oh, yes, that's complete Athenian propaganda, which it like basically was, but I really like just want to understand it better as Athenian propaganda, because it's like, I'm sure the Manoans weren't going around and being like so, you know, every year we sacrificed all of these people to this monster we kept downstairs like.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, well, I mean you said that, but first, first of all, I'm sorry. I have to take gusure of the fact you called it a minotaura not a minotaur. I am, I know, I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: However, however, okay, you brought it up, so now I have to make it.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: I've had this argument with my friend who is also not British, but she lived there long enough that she says minotaur, and it drives me bonkers because the ancient Greek did not really have a horrid eye sound. So if one of them is going to be more accurate, it's.
Speaker 3: Minotaur linguistics time. Okay, fine, I will, I will, I will can see defeat because I don't think anyone's listened to us ark you for fifteen minutes O for a freaking minor tour minotaur. But I had to say it because it's.
Speaker 2: One of my I was but very British to say minotaur.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm mood of that. No, you said again, the Cretans would not be kind of being like who lot loads of people who will come to crete lovely. The thing is, though on all their coinage well deeply into the Hellenistic period too as well. They have images of the labyrinth and on the colossal stones anyway, So they clearly were being like, yes, we we are the labyrinth, we are the minor tour.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, but I don't I think that they kind it is, it's really questionable. But I also think it's more so that it was like that was really indicative of their whole culture versus the theseus part of you know, or they were sacrificing, Like I don't think indeed they were necessarily necessarily talking about how evil the minotaur was. They were just like, we have this labyrinth and we're cool, and we've got balls everywhere, and you know, sometimes a half ball.
Speaker 3: Man, it's fineful man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: You know. Actually just about actually I've got I got stuff I can say about Athens, this one about their propaganda with with the idea of like, you know, God's there's so much to say. Okay, very quickly, you're probably right about that, to be fair, that they focus they focus really just from the labyrinth as far as I can tell, You're right, they're not really focused much in the grizzly sacrifices of death, because that's yeah, it's not really I mean, you know, the Greeks where the kid fer mythed it really always practice the moral as we did, you know, because you know she's going around impregnanty and everything, much of that being rape. It's not something we would stand by. But the Greeks were like, whoo zou, this is great. So obviously things are a little bit different. But no, you're probably right about that. But I will, okay, should fox and creep. But I will say one quick thing about Theseus. I read a really interesting article by a turner. I cannot remember her first name, which is terrible, but she she wrote basically about how Theseus is both the son of a Gus, the king of Attica, and Poseidon, god at the sea. But the stories, like nick, they basically the thing is blurre it. You never really know who is actual dad is because that way they can they could be like, no, we have cliped Attica because we're descended from Theseus and the Geus. But no, no, no, we can also control the sea because they just they just let this exist or like oh yeah, blurry thing. And every time you've probably got someone and being like so, which one is it, they're like, oh.
Speaker 2: That's kind of it's fine. They had sex WhatsUp woman on the same night. So it's bo that's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just you know. I mean, you know when you're pregnant women, if you do it quickly, both of them are buying into one. Everyone knows that genetics God, Yeah, genetics God to be fair. Actually, I mean we all talk about a god in one of these places, and maybe it's genetics can literally maybe a sperm can match onto a geuses and make a super kid.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean the guy can trust the ocean. I mean, you know, could it happened?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I've just cracked the case of how these can co exist. I mean, burb God, that's the next that's the next paper coming out. I mean that sounds like yeah, okay, sign yeah, okayre I will talk about crete, Okay. So basically, crete is a bit of a hot mess during the Hellenistic and all the cities are expanding. You've heard that story before, Michaelopolis. Well, it's the same on crete. There's one cynic called here a Pitner, which is let me see, how do I describe this without having a visual reference. It's so you've got crete, you've got the middle of Crete. It's like sort of it's sort of off the middle of creek towards the east, but like southeast, very southeast, but not you know, the island kind of like thins out and then gets like a bulbous end so much it's not there. It's kind of a bit before that. It's the best describe it. People just look at Google.
Speaker 2: I mean I also I have I know the shape of the island of crete so well that I knew exactly what you're talking about. Oh my goodness, I just like think says too much about how much I stare with the map of Greece. But yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Good. I'm really happy, really happy. I actually described that follow So, yeah, all these cities are expanding like crazy, but at the same time as this, it's really fascinating. So basically crete is also I think creates a hot mess. It is for multiple reasons, because cities are expanding everywhere, but also mercenaries are basically cretes kind of like it needs money, right, and because of its society. Apparently an event happens. We don't know what it is, but it's called the event of the Hellenistic period. It could be an earthquake or some sort of feminis some kind, I'm not really sure, but something happened and it meant that there wasn't basically loads of jobs, because that sounds like twenty first century Britain, but there was lots of jobs on the island, and as such, Cretans had to move and emigrate. And one of the key things they got a lot of money for and a lot of good reputation for were mercenaries to help the new Hellenistic collection of kings fight wars and take land. So exports lots of its men as mercenaries off the end, and they get lots of money. And these people go flying across the Mediterranean, these Cretans, and that's like like, that's like their thing. That's how they make money by selling soldiers, not selling, they are hiring renting soldiers because they must. But it's fascinating because these mercenaries go off and then they come back they encounter new mythological stories, and then they come back with these mythological stories and they tell them to create, like, hey, did you know, so the best one is in Itanos on the very east of Crete, like sort of near the north bit of it. They come back with Egyptian stories. They're like, hey, did you know isis who? And all Cretans are like, what the hell are you talking about? But yeah, so these mercenaries bring these new myths to Crete, and then these new towns get like hybrid eyes like Egyptian, Cretin, Greek y myths, myths, which is just really cool. Yeah, it's pretty cool traveling myths.
Speaker 2: I okay, I have to bring this up because I just have to. Have you played the game Assassin's Creed Otisty.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have played that game. Yes I did finish it though because I got burnt out. I couldn't even I could explore the Greek islands. Like, stop you, I'm doing it cool. Don't cut this from the from the podcast. You'd be soft. Go back to making games like Assassins Creed to Creed one. Please don't give me another odyssey.
Speaker 2: I say that as a lot of Greece honesty is so good. Oh my god, So did you not get your Creed because everything you just described sounds like, Okay, that's exactly how Crete is in the game, like it's all about mercenaries and actually.
Speaker 3: About Look, I mean you're not let me not wrong to be fair. Before we got full CORECT to be fair, they did do their research, to be honest, Like a lot of stuff is pretty like you know, pretty pretty actually too.
Speaker 2: Fair, especially so many times.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's really good us I will give that. Like I'm not going to be it's amazing virtual tourism. I'm just a bit annoying. I'm a very old school I just like to ask screed.
Speaker 2: One's very the It's the only video game I've ever played outside of N sixty four, so I am so much. I know I've heard this. I'll try more eventually, but until then, I just keep playing Assassin's Screen honysty it's really bad. But anyway, yeah, mercenaries, I love that. That's really interesting, Like so did they have did they really like jump in on Egyptian specifically and have a lot of this kind of like hybridization that remained.
Speaker 3: So this is this is this is the really interesting thing about to basically you have these Cretans come along in certain areas like Atanos, these Greek, these Egyptian and Greek myths kind of converge and and do loads of weird hybridy stuff. But but this doesn't seem to be the case for the rest of the islands, so it seems to be quite contained. So it seems like you had Egyptian eventually Roman or Greek, you know, traveling Greek mercenaries and they kind of practice their own religions on bits of crete, you know, they didn't see They seem to have folly like penetrated the island, gone deeper into it. And I think there's multiple reasons for that, one of the most obvious ones being maybe you've got certain mercenaries living in these areas, like foreign mercenaries living in this area, so of course they practice their religions in those areas. But one of the theories I'm attached to is the reason these myths couldn't penetrate, right, these kind of new identities couldn't penetrate the island is because this this goes into so I'm gonna have to pivot for a second, but because I need to, I need to explain this to then explain that have you have you ever come across lamps on has anyone talked about like Greek lamps before?
Speaker 2: Not Greek? I know about all the Roman penis lamps is really the only thing that comes to my mind if you talk about lamps, which is sad, but where are my knowledge lives?
Speaker 3: Okay, not penis lamps? Though, my god, that sounds interesting. I must have missed that episode.
Speaker 2: Very good, it's not even an episode. Yeah, there are over.
Speaker 3: Oh oh I know, and I know penises of Pompeii. I didn't realizate wings innovator. So anyway, so labs, but no, they're not, they're not. They're not penis lamps, sadly, they're they're kind of like normal looking lamps. But they've got loads of holes some of them. We've got loads of holes over them, right, which means that if you should put a light into them, the light goes and loads of funky different ways, you know, weird and what long story short, this could basically be different ways of practicing ritual. So they had different people in different ways of describing, imagining, or understanding these lights and what they meant, like, oh, there's loads of different lights because that goes to to meet her godless of the light, and there was a version of her and crete by the way, the loads of Dierent versions. So you know, obviously these rituals were attended to these gods and godlesses. But the main thing I want to build off of that is if you and I, for example, say say we're both Egyptians, right, and we come along to Crete and we're like, yeah, we're going to spread some Egyptian religion. We go to the first town away from a Tannis when we walk out and we go to this this sanctuary, like great. We walk in and you see these people with this lamp like coming and stuff and having this like this weird these lights going everywhere. You would probably look at that and be like, what the fuck is going on? Like what is that lamp? What are they doing with it? What does it mean? You'd have no idea, would you, unless someone took the time to come up to and be like, okay, so this is the lamp. We do it to worship Demeter in a special light form. Oh you haven't heard of her light form where that's local to this area and these and all these little lights are symbolizing all the different paths she takes around her life. You're like, what, you wouldn't know that unless you're told it. And I think that maybe one of the reasons these foreign identities and myths do not penetrate the island because you come up with your myth and they kind of a rebuff you. They're like, you don't understand it. You can't engage with the topic. You can't adapt your like you know, you're like Egyptian myth to the local creature myths because you don't know the myth. You don't understand it, so you can't you can't be like, oh, okay, I get that, that's about, you know, to meet other light. Oh we have a god like that, and they do this and maybe they're the same thing. They both visited that. You know, you adapt the myth then that way build like a collective identity. Yeah, I think they could do that. They had no idea what was going on, and the Cretans kind of pushed them away deliberately because of it. You know, they made sure to gatekeep gate gate keep basically, which yeah, which the Cretans would I definitely think they would have done because they were quite. They were quite. They weren't in insulent people as wrong. So there's loads of trading me found, so I'm not trying to say that, but they were quite conservative in their customs. It makes sense they wouldn't be like, you know, hello, come on, welcome. You know, everybody and their mum to create. So yeah, yeah, it's basically see this idea of myths. So I want to talk about like myths, mythical stories. I did say myth works, but yeah, these myths can't really penetrate his island because the people carrying the myths do not understand what's going on, so they can't attach the myths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so okay, now I want to know more though about this demeter of like the light is there more you can say whatever? Or she just totally naffling, because that would make sense.
Speaker 3: Sadly, yes, sad that's really annoyed at she that I can't tell you much more about her, because I and that's really disappointing. You have to cut this certain like an you are to. Yeah, I can't tell much more about her because I've basically have not done my research on her yet. You know, I've tried. I've tried as well. I got really interested, just like you. Yeah, and I and the books were I think they're buried in German or something, and I was like, oh goodness, gracious me, So well it's a story for another day.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's why I phrased it like that because it sounds like one where it would be really difficult because I've never even heard of her, so it can't be something that you can easily learn more about.
Speaker 3: Weird. Oh yeah, it's weird. It's very weird. But she Yeah, but she is a certain and she is I think she could like to meet a light Bringer. She's like she sounds kind of like a Yeah, she sounds like a kind of like don't some sort of like metal band player light Bringer. It's a biblical figure. I love it. I don't know much more about it.
Speaker 2: Sounds cool.
Speaker 3: It does sound cool, doesn't it. Yah, Yeah, sounds pretty cool. Okay, I've got other stuff and tell you about as well, just because I went off of foreign mercenaries randomly for the wrong reason. But so you've got the foreign mercenaries, and I said, here a pit in other cities. We are expanding at this point. Well, you've also got okay, so you've got to hear a Pitner. So let's take here a Pittner as a good example. They're expanding and as such, they're taking over other communities, so you know, like get away. And one of the things they do do is they control the myth and religion of these towns. So there's evidence of them having destroyed cults around towns. And at this place called a Leros, they actually like put up their rules on the sanctuary temple, which you know is a big it's like a big not no no, but that's a big ruh. They're making a message here because if you know, on the big sanctuary which is communa and everyone goes to and is kind of authorized by the god of the area, they've put their rules on it. It's kind of showing that gods are authorizing their rules, like you know, they're really cementing their opinions and they're like, you know, things onto poor a Leris. So basically we know, sorry, we don't know. Is maybe told it suggested that these these smaller communities are losing their autonomy. You know, they're losing their identities, myths there, autonomies that all being stripped away from them. That sucks. So you know what they do instead to retain autonomy is they fullback in this thing called pastoral mythologies. Yeah, they're really cool, so I get really excited. So pastoral mythologies are like pan nymphs and you know, wood dry. It's all that type of stuff, you know, like landscape type gods and goddesses, the.
Speaker 2: Thing you think of for arcadia, not necessarily creep yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no exactly, but massively on crete. They it looks like they start to fall back on these and we see so much one thing. There's there's a goddess called dick Tenia Bel said it correctly. She's a goddess of nets. Have you heard of her before?
Speaker 2: No, but the idea of a goddess of nets makes me so happy.
Speaker 3: No, it's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a goddess of nets like fishing nets mostly, or.
Speaker 3: Like fishing nets fishing they need the fishing the fishing net goddess anyway. But during the hemnesty period she starts as godss of and then she transforms throughout the Hellenistic period into like a goddess of the hunt, like Artemis. She takes she like a bone and arrow and hunting dogs. And the reason that may have happened is because the Cretans are transforming her into something they need, which is a pastoral goddess, someone who's connected to the landscape. So that's a really fascinating So you see this changing in real time, really rapidly too, like over like one hundred years or so. That's rapid.
Speaker 2: Well. Create has got to be one of the few islands that can kind of get away with such pastoral myths too, because it's so much bigger than all the other ones, Like I feel like the rest don't have that kind of landscape that would sort of lend itself like obviously they're big enough, but Creed is so enormous.
Speaker 3: It is, yeah, absolutely, and it's so bloody, rocky and mountainous when I want to. I tried to drive up a hill on the car broke down and I had to splutter the car up. I think it'll be forty minutes agot this hill on the splushing car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Create is wild, the Cretan landscape, Like, I will never get over it. I don't think I like love anything more. I went there a couple of years ago with some friends and we rented a convertible and drove down to Pelleopolis, which is is that what it's called. Yeah, there's so many that are like anyway, but it's it's one like really old and it's like you have to drive all the way through the mountains and then there's this beach that you have to drive through, like literally not a road, just like this rocky kind of landscape directly next to the water. Were like, how are we in this car? This is not a good idea. We're going to destroy this thing, Like, oh my god, but cretin landscape is wild, like it's just unlike anything else. I'm obsessed with it, So thank you for bringing that.
Speaker 3: So basically you've got all these So you've got these goddesses turn into pastoral into pastoral gods, right, and goddess is right, So they're transforming in kind of shape. We have some lovely material culture. One of them is a clay a clay mold relief of Pan's face like you're put on pot. So clearly they're making lots of these cause they've got they've got a mold for it that they just can stamp and fill, and you stamp and fill. So apparently people are loving the pastoral myths. They're loving the Pan. You know, this is real good at this point. So the question, of course you may be thinking, or you may not, but I'm thinking, is why, like why did they start loving pastoral myths so much? Because there's definitely an increase in it. Yeah, oh and sidecast as well. In the Greek anthology, all the Cretan names were not all them. Some of the Cretan names seem to have Ucolic origins. They've got like little Bucolic kind of entomologies origins. It's it's really weird. The Cretans, the creatains love the landscape. They love pastoralism in this period.
Speaker 2: I mean I can see it. I'm like, I know, I can just picture Cretans landscape and I'm just yeah, picture.
Speaker 3: The son and the rolling pills and the hidden police officers. Picture all event is fantastic. You know, it's it's really good. So you have to ask you why, so why why are they why they care so much pastoralism now? And there's there's multiple reasons, could be multiple reasons. Three of them that I've identified. One the event And I say, so the event, this this honomist thing I do not know about, and no one seems to not even I always say his name wrong, Anotus. He's he's a Greek scholar and he I don't think he knows and he's like the super foremost dex But as far as I can tell on all this stuff, So you know, he's like, I don't really know actually, and you speculate it, so we don't know what it is unless I'm someone's going to send me an article tomorrow and I'll find out that I'm wrong. But anyway, the event, so it could be an earthquake of a famine, but mainly it probably it's probably spurred them to practice stuff like transmits to the movement of cattle and stuff like that more frequently because they needed to for for food survival resources that that type of thing. So that may have been why. Because you know, if animal husbandry and such becomes so important to the society, more important than ever was before, you know, mythology is going to reflect that, because they're going to be worshiping pastoral gods to make sure the cattles alive, you know, please pan, don't kill them, you know, type of thing. So you know, it makes sense why they may be moving towards this and why tenure may be becoming like a huntress who looks after their cattle or helps them to hunt them. You know, you can sort of see why these myths transformed to match what the societies need at the time. M M. Because that makes sense. The other one the one I like most. I've always got my own pet theory the one I like, And it always comes back to being a plucky underdog, which is going to maybe a problem match. Maybe move away from that, because everything ends up, everything ends up being rocky in the movie basically, but Greek, so you've got you had to hear a pit and taken over these communities, right. I like to think that they're so that gods are stripped off them. You're done, you get rid of them. So they're like, crap, how are we going to have an identity? How are we gonna have myths that we can believe in and attach ourselves to and you know, bond with and clate around and blah blah blah. I'm thinking they were like, Okay, you know what, they can't take the mountain. They can't take the mountains, and they can change choosing the caves, but they can't take the rivers and the landscapes. So I think they manufact well they've already manufactured, but they start to put more emphasis on these pastoral myths because that's something these cities can't take away from. They're so general, they're so mixed there, so everyone believes in them that if you attach yourself to them, that's not going to be ripped from you or taken from you likely, and therefore you can create that and you can kind of create an identity around that myth, you know, that can become your new sense of definition, a new sense of self. And I think that's why they start to one of the reasons that it's probably all of them simultaneously, but that may be one of the reasons these myths become more popular because they're now their new way of expressing their own sense of identity and their own autonomy, irregardless of the massive evil city. We're just taking them over and you know, kind of forced their here opinion for example, you know, views upon them.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. So yes, it's really interesting. Yeah, I love the Net goddess becoming a hunt goddess. That's so interesting and weird and I'll never get over that there's a Net goddess. So thank you. I'm going to text it's really got.
Speaker 3: You did it to be fair, it's really I was going, oh, they got they did this for You're like God.
Speaker 2: I mean, like the identity fascinating generally, but still can't get over the net goddess. I love learning about such specific and bizarre Yeah. I mean, they just had gods and goddesses for everything, and I never think about nets. That's just a new one. I don't know. It's really holding onto me. Yeah, I absolutely love that. And I also am really fascinated by tier. So I want to make sure that we talk about tear. Yeah. Is there more about crete though, Like I don't want to cut you off on cree.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's that's that's all I got my hosts. I mean, you know, I could, I've got friends, but we're not going to it. I've said, you know about how Smith now to try and survive maybe, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and it is interesting that, like the pastoral stuff does seem like the one yeah, think that they can't take away because it's like it's also like not only is it clearly tied to the landscape and everything so necessarily, but it is also like broader, right, like you're saying, like I mean, and even just the way you can connect it to our Katie, it's like it's a very sort of broadly Greek concept and these stories so they feel a bit more yeah, harder to wrench away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Well, I think that's one of them anyway, or it could have been the largest cities using it to help connect them with the smaller communities, but who knows, don't know. Speculation, it's fun, speculation, interpretation. Yes, tire teer te see you're probably it's probably tear, and I call it tire and I don't know what it is. I said tie for so long now and no one's corrected me. I have to assume that. I mean, someone would have taken pity on me by now.
Speaker 2: Honestly, like any of these pronunciations though, like they're always going to be an accent and English and all these different things, like you know.
Speaker 3: It is, I'm gonna I'm going to switch between and confuse everybody.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna be like, yeah, I'm going to have here. But so we'll just we're talking about the city and Phoenicia people. That's what matters.
Speaker 3: Yes we are. It's spelt it is literally spelt tire, like if you put a tire in your car, it's spelled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's along the British way of spelling tire.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, fair enough. So So the Phoenicians, they're interesting, they're fun, lots of people obviously not you or your listeners, I'm sure, but other people are confusing for Greeks many times, you know, they get a bit messed up, but they're not. Their name was Phonic or Phonics or Phoenix even but the Greeks cooling, which I thought was really cool. If they were actually called Phoenix, that's such a cool name to names and.
Speaker 2: People, well, they have a like, they have a prince named Phoenix. So the background on this, uh is that I have a really deep and long standing and like longer than anything else, of my love of Greek mythology, obsession with Cadmus, which therefore lends itself to an obsession with Phoenicia, and like, I really don't know enough about actual historical Phoenicia or even like mythology beyond the very Greek Cadmus, but I am completely obsessed with Cadmus and his brother is named Phoenix, which is Greek mythology but based in Phoenicia and where we get a lot of this stuff and it's.
Speaker 3: Not so cool. I love Cadmus. I think he's he was a real g He was very cool. Absolutely, I don't think, I don't think. I don't think he even did anything that doulty if I'm trying to remember my cat, miss think.
Speaker 2: That's the way I love him do anything, which he is pretty.
Speaker 3: Chill, exactly Greek Phoenician here right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I also my little and I will you talk about Hellenistic tier.
Speaker 3: But like.
Speaker 2: My obsession with Cadmus is that I think that there absolutely has to be a missing like epic or story that explained more about him, because he is incredibly unique one. Yet he's a hero who did not really assault anybody.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's right to get epic because the Greeks they're like, there's no rape, pity, screw him, he's.
Speaker 2: Boring, he's boring. No, but he's like he's that he's Phoenician. But also like they clearly they make him Greek. They have him bring the Phoenician alphabet to Greece to explain how Greek alphabet came to be. They have him marry a literal goddess, and then she is also really she's the only hero, the only hero marries a goddess. And not only is she just she's not just like any old goddess. She's literally just the daughter of Aphrodity and aries like two Olympians and she doesn't do any goddess things. She just lives with Cadmus forever. And then they have like this incredibly famous dynasty of children, and yeah, I just think there has to be more there because we have so little sourcing on them. But like they're.
Speaker 3: I would agree, And to be fair, you look at Phoenician coinage, they're already pushing forward the story if you ripe her and all the stuff that leads to I'm quite significantly, so why I would agree with you there? I would actually, you know what, I wouldn't just be willing to very certainly say there must have been something pretty big, but we've just it's just been lost because yeah, it's way too cool. But imagine how prett of those children were Cadineus and Aphrodite, like Aphrodite descended kids daughter, you know what I mean, Like they must be some good looking kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you know, like she kids, they're all just so unique. Well and then also their kids are like you know, people like Semile who then goes on to become the mother of Dionysus. Like they're just all wild, the whole family. I can talk about that, I will try not to.
Speaker 3: No, that's fine, that's they're really they're really god damn cool. Cool. They're really cool, not really cool. I would I would talk about Ty. I would try too. I was trying. I feel like I've been a bit to your story, so I'll try to keep it a bit more. Mythy's not interesting, don't worry. Okay, goold. Okay, so let me think. Okay, So, long story short, Alexander Diesie have the diet or she was, and you have Ptolemy and Solucid. Anyway, long story short, Basically, it seems that they take turns basically making Tire a tear. They're punching back the poor city. Like I read from this this one's gonna a grade just says it's almost like they had it out for Tier Tire because like it gets so beaten up and the diot wars and it keeps trying to be like no, we'll defend and rebel against you, and they're like, nah, can't back here, lose you, and they just like punch it together. It's like I'm just like, please leave it the lode. It's like that. That's was that Simpsons me with the Stumpioness already did. It's like that for Tier tire, like, please stop it. The city's already been raised multiple times.
Speaker 2: So I feel I know, and you think about that, and then the fact that they, like Carthage was a Phoenician like from like a colony from originally Tier and then what happened to them, like, my god, these poor Phoenician people.
Speaker 3: I know, it's not it's not going it's not going well for them. And and honestly, looking at modern day too, it's still weialism. That city, that city in a past life must have done something to piss someone off. Because poor thing, so anyway, tear tire, so it gets beaten up, and there is something that say, like it's cultural heritage gets a viscerated. I don't I think that's a bit too strong. I don't think it gets viscerated, but it probably got. All their records are destroyed and multiple attacks in the city, stuff like that. I can believe that, you know, they their identity and that their sense of self was a little bit and their myths were a little bit like frazzled. After that, I can certainly believe that after being beaten up so many times. But then basically get this really interesting mix between mel Cart and Heracles, and that's that I'm going to talk about the myth bit. So first thing, loads of people think that do you know, actually should pro explain who these people? I mean, everyone knows Heracles, so I'm going to assume that that bloody losories everywhere everyone knows him. But mel Car mel Cart's basically he's a local. He seems to be a relatively local god to tear tire and I think so don as well at I think it's around the Finition area, but we'll folcus him there. So his name is called Bao like king of the city. And he's also involved in some sort of ritual burning where it's like a sort of wakening thing which ties them to Heracles, because Ractles also burnt when he died. Right, see the links already, So the two Melcourt Heracles are really quite well linked. It does seem. There's one person who says that Melcot STARTI was Melcart in Policia, moved to Greece way back in the day, like tenth century, eleventh, way back in the day, and the Greeks kind of liked him, turned into Hercules, and then he migrated back to Policia like Heracles, being like you know, they're kind of been basically Heracles did create Malcott maybe Melcot who created Heracles, but all these things.
Speaker 2: We don't have a reason, thou like, yeah, but like the sketchy anyway, we're not really too sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also, like I mean, a lot of the especially like in Phoenician, that whole area obviously all of the East like really influenced so many different Greek deities and stuff too, right, which is just sort of absolutely yeah, the way they just kind of went back and forth and then changed the stories to make it seem like maybe, oh, maybe actually the Greeks influenced them. We're like, no, that's probably the.
Speaker 3: Definitely, because I think aphroditis in the European goddess she at least at.
Speaker 2: The Well's de gree so you know, yeah, she's really connected to the Phoenician goddess Astarte. And so you've got yeah, like all these different kind of back and forth gods and heroes, and I mean the Heracles are so unique too because like almost everyone can claim kind of like their own versions.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so it's really fascinated. But basically you've got so you've got tired a bit of a straight and you have to realize as well, before before they got beaten up in the Hellenistic period they did people already had cott it onto this link between Malcot Eractles, the fact they were quite similar, and they kind of similar things they used to call the Greeks used to call so Herosses for example, calls Melkart the Tyrian or Tyrian Tyrin whatever Heracles. So they're already kind of thinking of it as like another form of Heracles, which they've they've represented a Greek way. I don't know if maybe the the Tyrians presented Heracles as you know, mac as Heracles to the green, maybe to tap the one sound, or they just went, oh, that looks similar, you know, yeah, he's Heraculis, because you know, the Greeks be Greeks. You want go along in little book, you like, yeah it looks like here, and they just make it up. I don't need it. But but this links already exist between the two of them. But as we move into the Hellenistic period you kind of get it kind of gets enhanced because the Greeks start not not taking over, but like the links between Phoenicia and Greece start to become a bit more like marked. You know, they get a bit of hybridity, the cultures kind of cross culturally entangling, you know, they're they're really they're merging into not one either. So I'm saying all the lot of things. They're just very They get more connected in the Hellenistic period, so there's this link between Heracles and mel Cup does become even more important than it already was. And it apparently it's fun as process because I'm about to refute this guy I don't like this by inter say it it's called Hellenization, which I don't like. It's very it's very clearly or it implies basically, the Greeks came along and hellenized, but then the leven Tines and the Phoenicians. That obviously isn't true, but I have to It's an interesting way to start the conversation because it does frame what's happening to a degree in the fact that you know, they were they were meeting each other. It's just it's far more of a give and take situation. Something the Grease got somethinking. Yeah, exactly, a nice hybrid, a nice bit of hybrid melding, you know. But but yeah, it looks like basically, so they come along right, and Heracles entire Heracules and Malkart rather they kind of get mixed into one. That's the interesting bit. So you start see hybrid images of Malcot where it's wearing like the lion's skin. It's really interesting. There's one image of him where it looks like he's got like a like a lion cap, because like a like a sort of Phoenician or theoryan cap, not like a skin. So you see all these really interesting morphed versions of the myths as they try to kind of reconcile the two different gods together and make them into like one. And that's and it's really interesting. So you get this lovely bit of mythical hybridity happening entire as the two of them connect up basically, is just fascinating.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, that's the one thing I really remember about. Like, so I had on Eduardo Garcia Molina, who studies at the Hellenistic period and so, and we talked about all of that and like that was where we kind of it was mostly in the East, and so it's interesting to hear you talking about it this way because that's the thing that really like came across so strongly to me is that they didn't like they didn't go in and like they did colonize it, obviously to an extent, but like they didn't go in and just like force. They didn't do it like North America, did you know, which is like completely force you know, the like British way of life onto an indigenous people and completely decimate their indigenoity. Like, instead, they went in and they were like, you've got these temples to your gods. We're gonna like toss in some Greek stuff and kind of squish it all together and sort of make something new yea. But also yeah, not not take away what is already part of the culture, which is really interesting and sort of just like I guess, just generally refreshing given the rest of like most colonizations, certainly mod in colonization is like, yeah, you're like, oh, you didn't completely take away everything they had before? Cool of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I know, I know, I agree. It's I was really when I read this, I was really quite refreshed. I was like, Oh, that's that's a difference, isn't it. Not? So our bar is so loo as long as the don't come in and say your culture ship and then trying to change everything. You're like, woh my god, they're true patrons champions of equality. Yeah, so no they did. I think it's because. I think it's because you get Greek settlers. You like trickle into tear tire. I'm gonna just double barreling it the entire time they come in, Like you get all of them, you get like a steady stream of Greek settlers, you know what I mean, that's why you got this mastertone garrison. But you've got the Tyrian kings and it's all a bit of a mess. It's kind of because the city was already bit of a hodge podge' already really by the Henson period. That I think that's why this kind of this hybrid mythology start to come about like more gently and less you know, extremely the colonization with the cat I'll see. I think that's why really, because it's just more of a gentle, slow process. Well it helps.
Speaker 2: The gods are so mixed, so yeah, they are, especially across the whole Mediterranean except Egyptians, who you know, put animals on everything.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, it's I would as well.
Speaker 2: Actually I mean, I love the Egyptian gods, to get me wrong, but like it is, yeah, it's so easy to kind of see your own god in the local gods in the e But also yeah, like you're saying, like there was so much like immigration too, Like really they just the whole ancient Mediterranean was pretty mixed up and kind of just like everyone all over the place. So then yeah, by the time that people come in and they're like, well, we're actually ruling you now, but like, yeah, we've you know, our people have kind of been here before. It's not brand new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, no, absolutely, yeah, it's just it's just it's just pretty fascinating. It's just pretty fascinating. I love the I love the hybrid tea about it.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me, like, do you know anything about you mentioned Europa being utilized by them a lot? Do you know much about that, because I'm just curious. I didn't realize that they kind of took her on and that way, I wonder I didn't. I realized I never kind of connected who who necessarily invented her if anyone kind of claimed inventing her.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, well, you know what, actually, the my general idea of Europa and going to that ties into going past the Hellenistic When you go towards the Roman period, I think it's the second century a d. I think it is. I'm not Romanists, So this is going to come. This is going to sound really frazzily, but I know this bit, so I'm just going to keep it within my wheelhouse. The bits I understand. So it's really fascinating because basically you've got you've got Roman empire, got Roman Empire, great start already and then you've got it doesn't matter, it's time the Roman jolly come lates. No one cares, but you have beau, do you have tire? And basically tyre Like they're showing the Roman emperor and the coin. Yeah yeah, we're Roman colony, blah blah blah that stuff. And then when Roman power starts to climb, they're a bit like, we can be us again. You see, their coin is change, so they start putting their own local myths on the coins. Not really mal cart at this stage. So there's a lovely coin of melcar Ride like a hippocampy, just love that. He's just chilling out there. It was like little thing, right, hippocampy. He looks, he looks, he looks, he looks fire, he looks, he looks so radiant. It's beautiful. But I mean you never see heracles and that kind of cool coin, and it's always Rackes is stabbing at the club like looking lazy. But this guy's running a freaking hippo campy. And it's on a bow too, Like, what's he going to shoot with the bow? See? Like yeah, I think if he shoots the water, the arrow will lose momentums. I don't know what he's doing, but I mean he's just living his life. He's ground's bow far into the water, hitting nothing. He doesn't care, Melco don't care. He's happy. I think it's a cool. But I see you ride. Basically, as they go over the Roman colonies, they become a bit warm. They get their own automy back, basically, and its reflects all the coid they start to like they stop talking about the alphabet that they gave the Greeks again. You know, he gave you this grammar. They show your rope on the coins quite frequently because it's kind of this is a local myth we have, which is regional and established power and connects us to creating. You know, there's a lot of stuff to do with it. So you basically see over time their mytholotical themes take over the coinage, their local ones, as own identity starts to emerge as they get to express themselves again. And it's this beautiful progression of basically mythotical identity of a time from being like subservient Roman empress to Taia. It always glories. Eventually, it's just proper beautiful local volly tarian coins coming out of it. That's just so cool that it be just you wrote her the Greek text of their names, just just there being them really eventually, Yeah, and it's it's lovely. It's really cool to see.
Speaker 2: I have this whole book on the Phoenicians that I've been beeting to read forever, so I really don't know that much about them, but I'm curious about that because it's it's like I don't, Yeah, I wish I knew more about Europa and whether she did kind of exist in the Phoenician mythology like before Greece or even like simultaneously with when she was, you know, coming about in that like those most ancient kind of Greek myths but it feels to me that it's almost like using her at that time period is also like there's there's still some of that Greek influence coming in. There's like, you know, it's kind of like a melding of sort of. I mean, when you're talking about something that's like two thousand years, you know, everything's going to kind of meld together in really interesting ways. And like, yeah, specifically utilizing Europa feels like that in a really satisfying way. Also, she's on the euro sometimes, and it's like that's a nice little callback, yeah, on certain Greek euros because they're like everyone gets their own. I know, Greek has like a few different euros, but Europe is definitely on one of them. Like riding the ball that's cool.
Speaker 3: Oh that's really cool. Oh man, I learn you today. I'm going to be such in these coins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, collectin.
Speaker 3: I didn't know I was going to start collecting euros, but it turns out I start I will.
Speaker 2: That's like the only euro I have collected is the one with Europa. And also it's like the most appropriate euro of all of them, Like it's literally where the word comes from. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes perfect sense. Yeah, yeah, it makes perth. Yeah yeah, remlike to me, Yeah, but she created like Europe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's sad at.
Speaker 3: I mean that's an achievement, isn't like imagine thinking like you come hobby, like what did you today? Oh? I am filled with documents. I created Europe.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, named a continent. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't worry about that. Like an imposter synd. I'm like, oh, yeah, I named I name this island, I named a continent. It's not a big deal, though, you're like, oh man, yourself, Estege is a plum.
Speaker 2: That just makes you.
Speaker 3: The other Greek godllesses were annoyed with her, like that's why, that's why they just felt so ship. They're just like yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I just think about now, like Tadma's and your ropa have at least one, maybe two other siblings. I think of how many, because I know Phoenix is one, and it's like, okay, Phoenix gets he named Phoenicia, Cadmus gave the alphabet to Greece. You're Ropa named Europe. But I have a feeling there's another one, and I just can't imagine being like, think that fourth sibling.
Speaker 3: No, there is a fourth sibling, and you are right. I can't remember the name because I because I like I too fair. I announced that the podcast. I don't remember anything my brain. I have a term.
Speaker 2: I'm looking it up in case it's extra funny and we miss it.
Speaker 3: See that's that's that's I really. I kind of hope he has done nothing now, because I know.
Speaker 2: Exactly it's funnier if he's like, oh, yeah, here we go, Kyla C I L I X. Who's this guy?
Speaker 3: Sorry, dude, Like, yeah, sorry, it's not I mean, even if he is good found the tree.
Speaker 2: Exactly a cad miss Phoenix. And then that other guy, Oh, his name means like it's some kind of combination of disappointments. His name just means disappointment exactly. Okay, what a beautiful way of wrapping up Phoenicia. This has been clearly so much fun. I feel like I never quite know, Like I'm very glad, I never quite know what the episode is going to turn out to him like this sounds really interesting, and like it's always really interesting, but sometimes it turns into like, okay, also, we're just gonna laugh a hell of a lot about the ancient world and I particularly love that, so thank.
Speaker 3: You good no, good good. I came on. My mantra before coming on was don't be bored, don't be boring, don't be boring.
Speaker 2: It's never boring. I can talk about anti agree, so like I can always pull out fascinating stuff because everybody knows something interesting. But it is extra helpful when it becomes a conversation that is both fascinating and ridiculous. Those are my favorites.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not I'm with you, with you absolutely Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well this is the best. Can you do you have anywhere that you want my listeners to like, follow you or learn more? Just kind of anything you want to share on that front.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a good idea. Oh I'm gonna you're gonna have to cut this gnat to actually think about this. That's fine, Okay, what do I so? I'm so I'm so bad at social stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's only if.
Speaker 3: We want to No, No, that's like, I mean, I probably should. That's what people keep telling I probably should, So I will. I will. Okay, let me think, do I have anything? See, I'm so I'm so rubbish a social media that if they fellow my social media price fault. It's like one imitch. I'm gonna say it anyway because you never know. Maybe it'll take off one day and they'll need to they'll need to know what is it. I think I'm act roon Ruddic on Twitter. It's it's really simple. I haven't got like a crazy cool name. I'm just at and otherwise I don't Facebook. I don't really have anything on like that. You don't follow people there, and I guess they could check out if they want, they could check out my profile and the university. It's it's incredibly boring, but if they wanted to, it's got my email, so if they want to find me there they could. It's probably correct.
Speaker 2: Actually, and you're a new.
Speaker 3: Guests Yeah, I'm in Newcastle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The main point is for this for your sound bite. They can follow me on I think an actorone buddic on Twitter or better yet, if they want to email me to talk about anything. First of all, I am always so happy to talk about everything. I really I don't know if they came across the square of the podcast, but I'm such a friendly person. I love talking about things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now you sounded really mean during this whole I know bitch.
Speaker 3: Mode, you know what I mean? Like I was just trying to be as bitch as possible.
Speaker 2: I I do.
Speaker 3: I love tolds people. I love helping out things and answering questions. I really really do. And I don't believe that, but I do. So if you if you type I think you type in Jerome Roddick at Newcastle University on Google. Even my neighbor literally find a little profile that my university made for me. And and that's why I've got an email which is is otherwise my email is something like j dot m dot l dot Ruddick two at Newcastle dot ac dot UK. See that's a mouthful. No one to say that. Google. Please people Google. So yes, that's where you can find me. And yeah, I am happy to be approached about literally anything. I love doing classics outreach for example. So if you listened to any of this and thought that's a fucking psycho that I worn't mind doing some outreach with or anythink, then yeah, come on board. So great. So yeah, that is it. That's that is my that's my SoundBite. There there's replay that again.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much for doing this. This has been so much fun.
Speaker 3: In fact was it. Thank you, Ozzie, thank you so much for having me. This is beat up. This has been really really fun, like this has been good time.
Speaker 2: So good ugh Nerds, thank you as always for listening again like seriously ridiculously fun episode. God's obviously I love recording all of my conversations. I'm always learning so fucking much and it's so interesting and everyone is so nice and it's seriously the coolest thing in the entire world that these people want to talk to me. But when I'm also laughing my ass off throughout, that's just a bonus. So huge thanks to Jerome for not only talking to me for this episode and sharing so much fascinating information but also being hilarious and uh also for waiting forever for the episode to come out. Thank you, Jerome. Let's talk about it. This baby is written and produced by me Live Albert Mikhaela. Smith is the Hermeans to my Olympians and I know so many podcasts related things, from ruing the YouTube, to creating promotional images and video, to editing and research. The podcast is hosted and monetized by iHeartMedia. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the Ancient Mediterranean. By becoming a patron well you'll get bonus episodes and more. Visit patreon dot com slash myths Baby, or click the link in this episode's description. I am live and God's I love this shit. Thank you for coming along with me all the time. It's just super cool.