Speaker 1: Hi, Hello, and welcome.
Speaker 2: This is Let's talk about Miss Baby and I am your host, live here with another conversation episode. I spent a couple of months back in the fall just recording an absurd number of conversations and we are still getting through them.
Speaker 1: So it's always kind of wild to like listen back and be like, oh, I talked to this person in like September, but it is fresh for all of you and so joyful. But I also just feel like the need to say that, because you know, a lot of stuff changes in that time, and honestly, this one might have even been from August. Like it has been a whole collection, a whole host of recordings, and it has been so much fun. So this week I sat down with Catherine Buttner, who is the author of Alcestis. Yes, that's right. Coincidentally, like honestly, completely unintentionally, I had this episode scheduled for right after re airing my Alcestis episodes, and I just thought, you know how incredibly perfect but very appropriately. Also, this novel Alcestis was actually written like years ago. It actually was first published before even The Song of Achilles, and I think that is so fascinating. That is part of what Catherine and I talked about, in addition to just the absolutely incredible and weird story of Alcestis, that she turned into this amazing novel and it utterly it just it's fascinating. This introduction is unscripted because I'm hanging on by a thread, and it was necessary but absolutely fascinating to have this novel be written before the enormous boom in Greek myth retellings, and that is why it is being rereleased, or rather was re released back in September, so it is widely available now again now that it is like right back in the zeitgeist. It's also sort of a fascinating retelling on Alcestis plays with the sexuality of the characters, all of these different things and this myth that is just so underrated. I will not try rambling anymore. Just sit back and enjoy this wonderful conversation I had Catherine and I had a joy of a time. By the end, weird, it was so much fun. You're going to love it. Alcestis is so cool and weird. Her story is wild. Conversations giving a voice to the very specifically voiceless Alcestis with Catherine butner, your book is kind of unique in that you're getting it re published right or whatever the correct word is because of this retelling kind of boom?
Speaker 3: But how old?
Speaker 1: Like when did you originally publish it?
Speaker 3: So, I mean, this is this is strange because it Do you want me to just like lay out the book timeline a little bit? Yeah, it's not complicated, but because I started this book actually in two thousand and four, freakitionally enough, so almost twenty years ago, which is a terrifying thing for me to think about for my own mortality. But yeah, it was. It was. I started it just before I went into my grad program for creative writing, and it was my master's thesis, so I was working on it in that program. I finished that program in two thousand and six, and the book sold in two thousand and eight and came out in twenty ten originally, So it really the only retelling that I was super I mean, there were a few, the only one that I was really aware of, and it came out just before this book did, so I did not read it until much later. Was Levigna.
Speaker 1: Or Lavinya in Yeah, I forget about that one.
Speaker 3: Oh it's so good. It's one of my favorites, especially pre Madeline Miller and uh, and then I guess Margaret Atwood had done the Penelope ad.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, at that point I think, yeah, that one, but.
Speaker 3: I honestly still haven't read it.
Speaker 1: It's good, so yeah, yeah, that's well. And then Song of Achilles was like twenty eleven, right, so you really got in like right before yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just before she created the genre and like built the zeitgeist. I was like, why don't I just publish this book before anyone's paying attention.
Speaker 1: Well, it's so interesting because one like there there are a number of retellings you know, that existed before then, but there wasn't like this the genre that exists now, because like people talk a lot about Mary Renault, which I've not read any of hers, but they have a couple. And then there's also and I'm looking at my bookshelf right now, if I'm looking away from you, that's why. Oh, Emily Howser I think had written some before that as well, again which I have not read, but I own. But even Song of Achilles was like big when it came out, but then so much bigger later. It's a great it's kind of fascinating. I also just to connect myself to this before the boom thing started writing in mythological retelling but still does not exist. But I did start it and finish a first draft in two thousand and eight, so I also tried to be ahead of the game. We were there, we were doing.
Speaker 3: That, you know. I think what's interesting about it is the fact that it wasn't I mean, people really had no idea how to categorize this book when I was so, you know, I mentioned it was done, and it was I finished the first you know, it was. It was ready for publishers to look at it by two thousand and six, and it took two years to sell. And I think it was partly because I got a ton of feedback from publishers that was sort of, this is so lovely, we have no idea what to do with it. Yeah, And I really I think that that was partially. It's really interesting to me to observe how there's essentially been a subgenre created for these mythological retellings, and I think even even sometimes for specifically queerer retellings, and it just that didn't exist at the time, and until Madeleine Miller's I think it was. I mean, I guess Circe is not as explicitly queer as Song of Achilles. I'm trying to remember. It's been a minute since I read it, and I love both of them. But I also think that the fact that the book is at the time. I think when I told people it was a retelling, they were surprised that it was not a retelling set in a different time interesting, you know, that it wasn't like a modern retelling or like what if you take the story of Alcestis and you put it in the nineteen forties or something like that. Like, I think they expected a retelling it was. I think it was partly coming out of the sort of nineties like I don't know, Bazzlerman Romeo plus Juliette sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People were like, what do you mean, it's a retelling and nobody's wearing Aloha shirts, you know. So I think people were thrown by the fact that it was a retelling that was in the actual time period, and also that it was treating the gods as actually real and present that they were, you know, that that they that something that we would think of as fantastical was treated as just realist. I think that also just wasn't as common then that there were if you had retellings, they tended to kind of be like a gritty retelling where you don't know if the gods are actually real or not, kind of saying, yeah, so I think those were two things at that seemed completely normal now and weren't just not as frequent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it makes sense because if you even think about like Troy, which would have been fairly recent at that time, like just completely writes out the gods out of the iliad, I mean, quote unquote the iliod uh and yeah, whatever it wants to call the iliot. Yeah, so it's interesting, and you know, it's funny you say that because and like you know, there are so many now, but I still think the majority of retellings these days don't feature a lot of actual gods, you know, doing super normal things. Like they still tend to focus a lot on the mortals and like not exclusively for sure, but yeah, primarily it's still literally heavily on the mortals. Okay, before we like, I could just keep talking about retellings forever, but I want you to give like an idea about what Well, sorry, now, I'm gonna jump around. Also, I have ADHD just a warning, no worries, but so one just point of clarification for my listeners. I'm gonna say Alcestis because I always had have, but I recognize that Alcestis is also a valid pronunciation in English. But Alcestis is so a unique play to choose, like of all Greek mythology. So my background on Alcestis is that I had not read it until a year year and a half ago. I just kind of assumed it was like, you know, like any other Euripides play, and he is notoriously my favorite, I will defend him to within an inch of my life, but I just had not read Alcestis and just thought it was kind of like all the others. And then I've read it, and I just lost my mind because it is the most bizarre and weird and like just magnificent play. But like, yes, yeah, why Alcestis, and like it's just so specific and also not well known. So I just want to hear more about like that part.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yes, And I will probably go back and forth because I was also used to saying Alcestis. I was a classics major and a Greek focus of course in undergrad and then I've had to accustom myself because all the book people wanted it to you know, they wanted to romanize the spellings and they wanted to know. But at the time, again, this wasn't a thing. So I think, I bet, I bet, I could have won that fight now, but at the time I was like, but my case.
Speaker 1: My case, yeah, well, especially that one, because that one was like, you know, there's a lot where it is awkward in English to make a latinized see a hard sound like I get that, but Alcestis feels like that's yeah, that's not one of them.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree. So I'm going to probably call her Alcastis for this, just because it sounds nicer. I yeah, so my history with that too. I was also being a Euripides completist, I as you do. I was, yeah, because I'm obsessed. My first history of reading the Dramatists at all was in high school. I had a really wonderful, weird two period class that was taught by both an English teacher and history teacher, and that's so fun. They decided that we should read all the big three of the drama tasts at the beginning and so that was the first time I read Euripides, and it just especially reading you know, Sophocles and oh my god, I'm gonna blank, which is the most embarrassing, thank you, especially because I actually likes That's fine, yeah, yes, better than oh god, no, I don't like anybody better than Euripides, but I like better than Sophocles because I feel like, I mean, in my distant memory, my reaction at the time was like, look at this, just messy drama in schools, and then Sophocles is so focused on I don't know, virtue, you know.
Speaker 1: I think depending on the plays, because I would, like I means is uh pretty heavily. But the way they teach it, you're right, Like, the way they often teach is that it's a very different thing from if you just sit down and read it and you're like, this is fucked up. You know, so I could see that happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is absolutely true. Absolutely, yeah, So anyway, I think, but when I got to Euripides, it felt I don't know, I think there's I mean, I'm sure it's not a new observation, just that the way that he psychologizes just feels so much more modern and it's easier to connect with and also the language is so beautiful, and especially once I was actually translating from Greek, it just I just was super obsessed. So I was actually working my crappy part time job after I graduated from college and reading Euripides on my lunch breaks, and that was when I read the Alcestis and so I, yeah, I had essentially the same reaction that you did. That I had just been reading it because I was trying to read all the Euripides, and I was boggled by it and by how weird it was, and how how and believable the fight between Admotus and his father is, but how how not sympathetic he is in any other way, and just by Alcestis as a figure and how absent she is. I think that was what really got me at the time. And I was just I was also, you know, I was like twenty two, I was coming out of a fan fiction writing background, so filling in the gaps was something that I was very accustomed to doing. And I was just really intrigued by the fact that it was the only harrowing of hell story that I could think of in Greek mythology that has a female character going to the underworld voluntarily, so you know, because you know the Odysseus story and Orpheus, and there are lots and lots of other instances and heracles. Obviously, there are lots of instances of male figures going to the underworld and making their way back out and choosing to be there. But I just was really struck by the notion that Euripides was telling this story about a woman who voluntarily went to the underworld and spent three days there at least in surface time with a goddess who was kidnapped and taken to the underworld, and that's not in the play at all, And that just seemed like such a huge missed opportunity to me, and not I mean, not that Euripides misses opportunities, like come on, that's not the story he's interested in telling, but I was curious about it.
Speaker 1: M I love the Europes defense because the thing about the Alceste is like, one, yes, that's so true, and she is so unique, and like, I think there's I think I'm sure that people have made the argument that, like, you know, she's some kind of missing figure in a way that is like a fault of eurypites. But it's so clear how intentional he's being with it, like it is a tragic comedy in the way no one is no other play of his is like he is writing this to be funny. There is a moment where Heracles wrestles death like it is funny. And so I think he made this point of being like this woman is dramatic in a way that I'm not focusing on here, like her story is actually tragic. I'm interested in how absurd her husband is and how much the man cannot take responsibility for any single thing that he does. And then yeah, and meanwhile, yeah, we just get to like imagine what happens with her. So I love the idea of then focusing on her as a character. And yeah, because clearly Eripanies was like Nana, Like I've got weird other things to say. Also, the fact that it's his earliest surviving play is one of my favorite pieces. Like he's just so weird. I love him so much.
Speaker 3: Yes, agreed a million percent. Yeah, I mean again, this is another like dating myself pop culture example. But I feel like I was also so I was the exact same generation of kids who were the age as the characters in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I went to college the same year they went to college, you know, and then about ten years later my students were the same age as the Harry Potter kids. And I have no idea what they're the same age as now. I think they're the same age as their favorite YouTubers. I don't know whatever, but it makes me think of I feel like there were a lot of narratives in the nineties, aughts whatever that were interested in showing you the sort of minor, like elevating the minor characters in some way, and it makes me think of a particular I get it just a pang whenever I think of anything produced by Jess Whedon at this point, because fuck that guy. But also, but also there was I don't know if you encountered or remember, but there was an episode of Buffy called the Zeppo that's just like the A plot is happening in the background, yeah, and it's huge and dramatic and things are about to blow up as all was or whatever, and then there's you know, zamplot that's happening in the foreground and that's the whole point of the episode, and it's really clever and charming, fucking Jessweden, but whatever. So I feel like that there's some like the tragic comic element in the play to me, has a bit of that feeling that Alcestis is having this huge drama and you know, saying these tearful farewells to her children, and even all the you know, enslaved people and servants in the palace are lamenting and everything, and then Agnotus is just up here having a panic attack, and that's kind of funny. Yeah, it's very weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and he's I'm trying to think of what translation I read and like how much that might have impacted it, because I do, unfortunately have to read in translation. I just managed to get a classics degree without learning Greek, but this is.
Speaker 3: All I also have to read in translation. At this point. My Greek was like twenty years ago, so well it's pretty much gone.
Speaker 1: I'm constantly hoping still to find the time to learn it, but one of these days. But yeah, I mean, he's just so interesting in that, like he he is kind of tragic, but also like everything he says is lace with this level of absurdity that like it makes him so hard to be like, it's so hard to be sympathetic towards him because every time he says mething that you want to be sympathetic for, he follows it up with like something ridiculous. And I, yeah, it's just it's such a joyful play, and I don't I make sure we don't want to talk about like the only the play, but it's just.
Speaker 3: Happy to talk about the play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just so good. But your appanies is perfect. So the things like what kind of I mean, I guess I just want to hear more about what your plot is. Because of course, the point that all of this is making us talking about this is that Alcestis basically does not exist in the play. Alcestis she has like two lines, and that's the point, and it's interesting and even when she's brought back from the underworld, she does doesn't say a single word and that's so cool and weird. So yeah, like I would have had this fully like blank character to work with, so like, what did you do and why?
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, that's a great question, right because in the play, I mean her speech and I think this hits me very differently now. I was rereading the play before we talked, and her soul. First of all, in the play she has children. In my novel, I was like, Eh, children aren't. I don't want to deal with the child having aspect of it, partly because I was interested in her as I mean, there's no obviously like historically she could very well have had children and still been essentially a teenager. But I was interested in the idea of her as a teenager, essentially that she is still quite young when she's having to make these massive decisions, and when she's being faced by these gods who are you know, all all powerful or very close to it and capricious and unpredictable and all of those things, and just I think thinking about what it would have been like to be in the social role in mycene and Greece at that period of being essentially not really having much of a social role other than being a trading piece kind of, and then moving into this world where she does have to make decisions for herself. So what I thought about was, I guess what I wanted to do was really to think about that social role. So the first third of the novel follows her as a child and then up until the moment where she marries Admetus, and for me that was actually, I mean, I loved I loved thinking about all of it, but I really loved thinking about her actual life as well, and what it might have felt like to be living in an environment where not just the role of the gods but also just the restrictiveness of I mean, one of the things that really struck me this is when I talk about what I write, I say that I write historical novels, but this is really a prehistorical novel because we don't actually have written history that's you know, decipherable or useful or useful of the Macenane period and so and the even the archaeological evidence that we have is pretty minimal, and it I'm always struck when I see thinking about Mycenian Greece on the Greek mainland. And there will probably be experts who are listening to your show who are like, she's the wrongest, and if that's true, I apologize, But my impression is just that the archaeological buildings and evidence that we have that remains on the mainland is like not the grandest right I mean maybe they were some palaces, but and I'm not thinking like Minoan. You know, there's more, You've got Creed and you've got more, more beautiful and dramatic spaces that have been preserved. But like the things that I saw, at least, I was struck by the fact that like they're made of like mud brick, like they're not you know, sorry, no, I haven't been to any of these places yet. Sadly, it's Mycenie.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not Canosos, but like, but I think it is one of the few, so it is a bigger palatial structure. But also I love that they use the term palatial. But like I think that the clarification you're making is like they're I mean, yes, we use the word palace, but like, yeah, I mean they're they're large structures and it's so interesting because also the Mycenians like took over after the Minoans, right, like they conquered the Minoans. I think with that lot anyway, I don't know, you're like, how what did you do exactly? Because also like Canosis is wild anyway, But yeah.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 1: Myceny is so fascinating generally, but also I mean, yeah, I don't know enough to correct anything.
Speaker 3: I don't know really either. I am not an expert. I am a novelist and a diletant. But but I guess what struck me was just that, like, you know, it's not the most lush environment. Yeah, and it's not the I mean, it's a pretty hard scrabble in some places, and the buildings are not what I think when a lot of people just obviously they think of like classical Athenian architecture or something like that, if they think ancient Greece, and I just I guess I was just kind of struck by the fact that, like, sure, she was wealthy and privileged for her time, and she was still living in buildings that would have been like pretty bare bones to contemporary modern humans. And where she was, I mean she goes to she's in Iolcis originally, and then she goes to Fury.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's like, yeah, that's even up north too, So you're really working with yes, you're nowhere near because I was like, Okay, how near is it to the Pelgonese, in which case, yeah, like you're dealing with there's almost nothing found up there. There was certainly on page structures.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's not great, so right exactly. So I just assumed that, like, I'm sure whatever was there felt incredibly impressive at the time, and maybe it would have seemed less impressive to someone who's thinking about classical Athens. Yeah, so I yeah, I just I was curious to like really think about her life and then to think about I also. So my background academically later is that I have a PhD in eighteenth century British literature basically and focused on women writers and the way that that also influenced. So that's what I was reading a lot of as I was revising this novel, which seems like it would have nothing to do with it, but to me, I think it actually did. It was really useful to be reading about a vastly different time period in which nonetheless like men and women are still super segregated, yes, and so thinking about like the alien quality of men to like the teenage girl at that time, and what it would mean to go from just like a super restrictive environment like that to the underworld where you're dead and no one's watching, you know, and thinking about how that would relate to like queerness and sexuality and just a feeling of freedom, but also of course, like there's also grief and loss. She's looking for her sister who died when she was a child and never knew her mother and all of that. So yeah, I guess I was just really interested in exploring all of those things, and the fact that the play does render her such a blank slate just meant that I had a ton of room to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I love all of this also as somebody who, like my BA, was a double major in English lit and classics. So like these things are I think people would think they're not tied. They're so inextricably tied together, particular because of the Victorians. We're so obsessed with ancient grace that like.
Speaker 3: The eighteenth century is the neo classical accent. They're obsessed. Yeah, So I don't know, I think I weirdly enough, like I thought a lot about like Jane Austen and Evelina when I was writing this novel, in terms of how, like what do a young woman and a young king actually do when they get in a room together. I mean, if I had thought more about this, maybe I would have also anticipated Bridgerton. Yeah, but I just think that, like how freaked out they are is dramatic and interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, And so like my listeners know how I feel about some things about Hades and Persephone that I don't talk about all that much, but I do love Persephone as a character, and I do find their relationship after the Americum to Demeter to be quite interesting. So, yeah, like, how did you want to handle Persephone and Hades and all of.
Speaker 3: That, I would say what I was most interested in regarding Persephone is the idea that she is she has godly powers, but she's also been put in a circumstance where her agency and her choice is limited. Right, she has to be in the underworld for a certain time age year, she has to be not in the underworld for a certain time age year. So regardless of where she would prefer to be, it's not her choice. And so I saw her as somebody who would be really fascinated by Alcestis having the ability to choose to go to the underworld and having the ability to choose I mean we were talking about in the play, you know, as soon. I think the other thing that really inspired me to get into this was how horrified Admodus is as soon as Alcastis stands up and says she'll go, and Euripides is depicting that largely as grief, right, like he doesn't want to lose his wife, But it seems, I mean, it's clearly also just face saving, right, It's like, hmm, patriarchal honor says, you don't let your wife die for you meanwhile, and.
Speaker 1: You asked her, So it's light, yeah, like facing that after the fact of like, oh well, damn, I god, what I wanted? How do I handle this now?
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly? And so I think it's as if he doesn't realize what he's doing until it's actually until she's said yes, and then he does suddenly realize that losing face or having everyone know that his wife has died in his place is maybe about us just as bad as death. And she actually talks about that too in the speech about her children. She's essentially I think I am remembering correctly that she basically says like, well, what would possibly, you know, what could possibly happen for my children if they had a father who was such a coward and so anyway sidebark, But I just felt like Persephone would be super interested in Alcestis as a person who made these choices that were leaving the men in her life kind of flummixed. Yeah, that, you know, she had gone to the underworld of her own free will, and so the idea of the two of them being in this shared space, but also it's a weird space, right, It's the underworld, and Persephone has power there, and then I had to kind of figure out, like, what does Alcestis have there? You know, is she dead?
Speaker 2: Is she not dead?
Speaker 3: That's also true in the play, right, it's like is she dead? Is she not dead? Who knows? Right? So, yeah, I think that's I wasn't as interested in Persephone and Hades, except for, of course, the fact that if Persephone starts getting obsessed with Alcestis in whatever way, like, of course Hades will be aware of that. He's aware of everything in the underworld. To get back to the initiating incident of my reading the dramatist, one of the teachers in that high school class that I took when we read the Odyssey as well, he I remember him talking about I don't remember if it was Calypso or Circe, but he he was like, well, you know, goddess has happened to Odysseus basically, right, like because he was talking about the huge, massive, super obvious double standard of Odysseus, right, and that like obviously, you know, Penelope has to be like scrupulously guarding her behavior so that none of the suitors think that anything is that she's even open to the possibility of remarriage. But like Odysseus, you know, yes, some goddesses like they happen, he gets trapped for a while whatever. And I guess I was also really intrigued by the idea of like, so Persephone's married, Alcestis is married. It's not like that ever stopped any of the gods or the Greek mortal man. So yeah, I think I was just sort of like, well, what if a goddess happened to a young, married Greek woman instead?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really interesting because one, I just love the idea of saying goddess has happened when it's like the answer is that one is a man and one is a woman. It's not so much of a goddess is happening as it is a complete and utter double standard. That is just one hundred percent what that was absolutely yeah, like women had to be pure and men did not. That's all there was to it. But yes, it's a great phrase to like also then to use in this context because it's yeah, I mean, yeah, that's so interesting. So like, I mean, yeah, I don't want to, like, you know, give away too much of a relationship, I guess, but that's sure. Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean it's a queer retelling, no worries we can talk about it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, No, I just didn't want to like spoil what type of relationship they might have. So I mean, I think that there are more and more queer retellings now, but they are still obviously, like very much in the minority. But I love the idea that even before Song of Achilles you had this one. But one of the most rare things is a queer retelling featuring two women. So I would love to hear more about that particular aspect. And like, I mean, it's so it's such an interesting thing to have a conversation with you now when you wrote it so long ago. Yeah, but like I would love to hear about your mindset at the time. But like, also writing that in two thousand and eight, you said, right.
Speaker 3: Like even earlier, a different time, yes, super different time. Absolutely, yeah, I think, I mean it is true. I will admit again I adore Madeline Miller's books. I think she is amazingly talented, and actually I think as much as I love Song of Achilles, I think Sirce is actually my favorite. But I did have a couple of like slightly bitter thoughts of like, well, maybe if my queer retelling had been some sexy dudes, you know, maybe it would have been the zeitgeist. So I get it, But also like I sympathize with that, right, I grew up reading the sexy dude fan fiction largely, which is also definitely more about men than women. So I think that what I thought about at the time, I guess was just that I didn't want it, wasn't particularly interested in telling. I don't know. I mean, I think about, for example, like the the veriness sary content note that you have on your podcast, right, that's just like sexual assault, it's everywhere, It's Greek mythology, right, And I guess I just wasn't like, I don't think it would even have occurred to me to try to retell a story that involved a Greek male god pursuing a woman, because I just was like, no, you know, like I didn't want to try to I don't even know what you would do to make that not icky, And so it felt like there was a lot more space, like in a relationship between a goddess and a woman, there was a lot more space to think about what that would mean in terms of in terms of consent, in terms of dynamics, like power dynamics between the two of them. More broadly, because again, there are like things that Alcastis has that Sephanie doesn't, which is mortality eventually the opportunity to go back to being alive again in a simple way without restrictions and an agency, just the choice of having gone there herself. And so it seemed like it would be a little bit more complicated. And I also think that the other thing that really that I thought about a lot, in terms of what the life of a young person growing up in a world where the gods really are functional forces in your everyday life, is that so much of that is also, I mean what I observed from the stories anyway, so much of it is about unintended consequences and trickery, and so I mean even just the earlier parts of Anatis's story, right that like Apollo is he he is a favorite of Apollos because he was kind to Apollo when Apollo was in the role of a cowherd or a shepherd or what and was taking care of his because he was being punished. So like there's always the sort of you know, the hospitality requirements and not treating people strangers poorly because it might actually be Athena and just like fucking with you or whatever. And I think that I was I've always also been interested, Like in this new edition of the book, there's also a little tiny piece of flash fiction that I wrote about about Selina. That's because the other things that all was stuck with me were the stories of the female you know, divine figures who went to Zeus and asked for their lovers to live forever and instead they were like grasshoppers or they slept forever, and that there are just so many ways that you don't actually get what you want, yeah, in these stories, especially if you're a woman. I think.
Speaker 1: Of my podcast.
Speaker 3: Exactly, So, yeah, I think I just was so much more interested in in in women's roles than I was in in just like the gods, I guess broadly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and like having it be a goddess like Persephone is so interesting because, like you've said before though to the listener, I'm not one hundred percent sure how much you'll have said in stuff that I've kept, But Persephone being a goddess who is you know, not there willingly who has been I know, listeners, who has been abducted by Hades and brought there against against her will. Like that's such an interesting thing because you know, as I also will admit still, like she does take on that role for all that she was brought there against her will, she becomes the dread goddess Persephone, Like she takes her lot and she's like, fuck you, I'm going to become like the most powerful goddess. I'm going to absolutely dominate over Hades at every possible opportunity. Like I'm trying to think, which it must be. Oh yeah, I mean it's just the Odyssey where like, yeah, it's all Persephone happening. Like there's so little access most of the times when anybody's in the underworld, it's like Hades, who this is the dread goddess? You know, so yeah, working with her so interesting. So like, I mean, what did you want her to be like or what did you make her like? I don't know, I want to hear more about your persephone because she's cool.
Speaker 3: Sure, Yeah, I mean I think of her. I definitely thought of her as a in that role, right, in the sort of dread goddess role, but nonetheless still appearing as a kind of vulnerable figure. Like I think that's what's so interesting about her is that she has this origin story that suggests vulnerability, like being vulnerable to you know, whether it's persuasion or abduction or whatever, right, and and then she takes on the role that she is given. It just seems like that's also like I don't I don't know how to not see that as kind of metaphorical for like the ways that women were allowed to operate in the society at the time. It's like things happened to you, and then you either took on those roles and did something with them or you didn't. And I think that that's also kind of the decision making process that Aucastis has to go through in the novel, is what do I want to do with you know, I made this split second decision to make this sacrifice, and in her case she also has I mean, in my novel she also has the motivation of looking for her sister in the underworld, which is a separate it's not the same. She's so clearly motivated in the play by her children. I mean, she actually talks to them a lot more than she talks to her husband in the play. And so I guess, yeah, I just was interested in thinking about how person I mean, so much is made about Alcastis as the model wife, and you know, the ideal Greek woman who because she died and sacrificed herself. It's right, right, exactly, It's just all like self negation is what makes the model woman. And the book does it kind of starts with a frame that considers that that, like, you know, Alcestis has heard the story of her birth from people around her, and then after the book concludes, we get some of sort of the way that her story gets promulgated, I guess, and like passed down in different ways, but it feels just really similar, Like, so you have this figure who's the ideal self sacrificing wife, and then you have the dread goddess and yet you know, they just they felt like kind of two sides of the same coin to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean that she is so interesting for all of those reasons. One of the things I keep thinking about talking about this this I learned through an episode with doctor Ellie Mack and Roberts, not the Alcestis episode. I've had Ellie a lot because she's wonderful, but she came on to talk about persephone because she specializes in the underworld. And one of the things she told me was that in I'm going to forget where it was, but I think partially in Sicily, so you know, the Greek part of Italian or of Italy, there was this whole practice of girls before they were going off to be married, of them creating these like tablets I think, depicting themselves as persephone in all these different ways. Yes, and like so things like some of them are going off happily, like welcoming you know, their new life, welcoming them or like you know, accepting their husband with open arms, and then some of them are terrified and they like picked their own stories through persephone. And it was just like one of the most I mean impactful things I've learned about young women in ancient Greece. But also, like, I think it says all of these things that you've been saying about Persephone, this idea that like she is just so many things at once. You know, she's like powerful, but she's vulnerable. She you know, experienced this horrible situation, but then she became so much more because of it and through it. And yeah, I mean she is just fascinating in that respect, particularly when she does connect with these like real people in that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, for sure. Yeah, And I think just I feel as though, you know, whatever you think about her eventual attitude toward her circumstances, it seems so. I mean, there are so many different stories across different kinds of mythology and folk tale about not friaking eating the fruit, like whether it's the apple or the pomegranate or the fairy food or whatever, and so it seems like she also connects to these other stories about I mean, it's like Persephanite to Goblin Market, right, like it just it's not so maybe it was my reading Victorian's time. I was just reading like too much Christina Rosetti, Oh my god, Yeah, seriously. Yeah, So I think that it's just the way that she is representative or connects to so many other stories about like the dangers of succumbing to a particular place, like leaving aside how she gets to the underworld once she's there, it's it is actually an action of hers supposedly that you know, traps her there. And so yeah, I think that's another element of it too. That's that's interesting, and and that kind of ties into the question of queerness. And this actually makes me think. I mean, one of my favorite favorite movies of the last few years was Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which is so lovely any if folks haven't seen it, but it is so it's an eighteenth century France and it's a movie about these two women, one of whom is about to be married, and a portrait painter, female portrait painter who is hired to paint a portrait for the potential suitor of the young woman who's going to be married, and of course they fall in love. And it's very passionate, but done in a very like, a very believable, beautiful way that doesn't feel sort of, I don't know, melodramatic, and it's also just beautifully shot, so gorgeous movie. But it's I mean, I don't want to go too far into spoiler territory, but I think one of the things I love about it is that it's not a movie that like, it's not a story about and then they run off to right, you know, it's a story about having this time in a specific circumstance between two people. And I think that that, I mean a that like ties into the Persephone myth in a bigger way. Right, She's she only ever has like limited time, but also I was struck by the idea of Alcestis also and maybe like queerness between women in particular at this time or in the ways that we associate with Greek mythology and culture, like being something that she had access to but in a limited way that it wasn't as easy as just like it's not like she falls in love with Persephone and then the rest of the book is just they rule together, and you know it's it's just it's more complicated than that, and it's more contingent and constrained, but that feels more I mean, none of this book is meant to just be you know, it's a retelling. It it's not supposed to be an accurate account of his but at the same time it is. I think there are ways to kind of get at some things about like queerness in the Gaps. I guess.
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorite things to just I feel like I've said it too many times on this show, but my favorite theory, a theory about women, queer women in the ancient Greece particularly, would be like ancient Athens, because that's where we have all the records, but also it's where we know that, like, you know, women were most constrained, right, And I love the idea that the Greeks were so obsessed with sex being penetrative that women could probably go off and hang out with each other and like fool around all they wanted and they wouldn't have any problem because it didn't count as.
Speaker 3: Sex absolutely, And there's so much history of that. I mean, if we go if we go back to like the eighteenth nineteenth century British connection, weirdly enough, like one of the things. And so my new novel that just came out that's set in late nineteenth century US is also it's at a moment, it's the moment you know where queerness is starting to get pathologized, right, and like sexologists are coming along and being like, wait a minute, romantic friendship between women? What hold on? But there's there's a super famous court case that I'm always talking about. So this is in the late you know, late eighteen hundreds in Scotland and it's the basis of the play The Children's Hour if you've encountered that ever. But it was these two women who ran a boarding house and they were accused by a female student of doing something inappropriate. And there's so much more complication here, right because the student was actually Anglo Indian and like, so there's like race and class stuff and all kinds of stuff. But they were accused and the judge's decision and the woods Periy case, if anyone's really curious, the judge's decision was, know, how could they have done anything inappropriate? They are English women, whoa right? You know? So this is like late eighteen hundreds and he's still just like I do not understand, like what could they have done? You know? It's literally just yeah, it's like what do you mean women have? How do women have sex? Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So it was and it was it was jurisprudence at the time, you know, So I think there's I think there is that question always of like what is not visible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just behind the scenes. I mean, so much of what we know about ancient Greece is we know it purely because men wrote it down. So it's like so often, you know, people want to make these claims about what didn't happen in the ancient world or even like, you know, it comes up with me a lot, because you know, I cover as many queer stories on the podcast as possible, and they're all men save for like the horror that is Callisto, and I can't really think of anything else other than I talked about Sappho obviously, but like they're all men, and people are like, well, why are there no stories of women. I'm like, well, because men wrote it down, not because there weren't stories, They just it didn't get recorded for us, you know. And yeah, it's like but it also just leaves so much to be like, you know, theorized about in whatever satisfying way that might be done. And you know, at least we have Sappho, and like we know there were lots of other women writing poetry. We just don't absolutely them, but yeah, I mean it's heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, it was a society in which there were literal penis figurines.
Speaker 1: Like literally everywhere, literally literally everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeahah, on the actors, just every Yeah. So I mean yeah, indeed, so yeah, no, I think it just was I mean, I absolutely I think some of my impulse was that as I was writing this, you know, I was like an early twenties, an early twenties women's college graduate who was like, what do you mean, Like, why is this woman not in her own play? And I was really fascinated in particular you mentioned this a little earlier, but with the notion of her silence when she comes back, partly because in the play it's sort of just represented as an effect of having been in the underworld and almost like a ritual cleansing that's required, like she's got to go through this process of silence because she's returned from the underworld. And I think, I mean, I feel like I'm spoiling so much of my own retelling, but whatever, it's fine. She's actively choosing not to speak for a period of time at the end of my version, and I think, and it's partly because she's just observing, and she's observing as much as anything else. I think she's observing her own life, like she's observing the life that she came back to and the husband that she had been given to and his relationship with Apollo, and like what's left after she came back. And so I think I was really I trust Euripides enough to not think that it's as simple as like, oh, he just didn't want to give the woman a voice, right, Like it's not it's clearly not that, but I also it nonetheless results in her not having a voice in the play, And so I think it's that tension was really interesting to me as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh that's I mean, I can only imagine, like you spend that time in the underworld and then if you know also then you I mean in his play, the I think the assumption is kind of she's almost in like a version of limbo, like, right, because she doesn't even technically, I think she's not usually counted among people who have done a katabasis, right, like an actual descent and a it's the opposite of descent and ascent from the underworld, Like she doesn't always count as one of those people who's gone there and come back, because I think the idea is that, like, she didn't have a chance to fully go down before heracles got her back because she was still with death, so she was still kind of like in the process. But I love the idea of it being a full catabasis, it being this experience that she goes through and then because that means coming back is a whole different thing, right, like coming back after you've lived in the underworld and you've hung out. Because they would say, you know, she was friends with Persephone, they were good pals. Yeah, roommates, Like coming back, you know, and then going back to your husband who let you die for him because he is a coward, Like right, yeah, what a what a thing to experience. I can imagine that a bit of intentional silence as you kind of re evaluate, like would be helpful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the only other thing I'll say about about the cannabasis and that structure is that I I did very intentionally structure it. So there's sort of the first third where before the moment of her death and then it is and again in the new edition of the book, there's a little drawing my little silly drawing that I'm made of this and some other stuff about the structure. But it's like I imagined it as a series of concentric circles cut through the metal. So it's like it is a sort of abcded you know, CP structure where she is very explicitly like you know, encounter servers re encounter servers on the way out, Like there are paired scenes that are meant to echo each other to indicate that it is really that full process of like descending and ascending, as you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Yeah, She's just such an interesting character purely if only because we like know nothing, you know, like I love I love those people and those stories so much, and I think I think that Euripides was really doing that on purpose, Like, oh, I totally. He just the thing that I love about him most is that he cared about his women characters, like he wanted them to be complex and have thoughts and feelings and you know, be humans, right, Like I'm a surprise, But yeah, I think Alcestis is so often seen by maybe people who just don't see Euripides that way. They are wrong, I was gonna say, I think, but no, they are wrong, you know, so as. Yeah, like you're saying this kind of like model wife, and I think that's the myth that he was working off of. Yeah, but the thing about the play is that people tend to forget is that their reception, just like your retelling is reception, right, Like Euriples was making conscious retelling choices from a pre existing myth, and I think he was. He was silencing Alcestis so on purpose, you know, to examine everything else around her, or to like make commentary on her. So many different options. But yeah, it just it does leave so much open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I can't remember if this came up in the in the earlier Aucustas episodes. I think it did. Actually the fact that you know, it wasn't even necessarily a terribly well known myth at the time, right, Like, yeah, that as far as we understand that it's not one. I mean, there's a reason that people today are not super familiar with it either in many cases that just there aren't a ton of retellings of it in even in various classical sources, like it's just not it's not. And so I feel like the effect of that has sort of because I feel like when you get more retellings, you get more opportunities for nuance. And so because there are fewer retellings, it's not surprising that she's been so reduced to when you go look at say visual representations of her, they really are just that ideal wife figure. And I think that that's kind of not surprising, right, Like, if you're operating from limited material, that she's been sort of reduced to the well what some readers at some different periods apparently thought was the essence of the character, which is just like sacrificial wife. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's exactly the same for Penelope, right where ninety five percent of the sourcing on her is just the Odyssey, and so like, I think that if you're reading the Odyssey sympathetically or you're you know, reading certain adaptations of it or translations of it, like you see a different Penelope. But if you are working off of what the White Man over the last three hundred years have told us about Penelope, you know, she is this ideal wife who waited for her husband very patiently and was absolutely perfect. You know, like so much of what we see now, particularly you know, people who are just coming at mythology with an interest you know, versus studying it like you, we are so so completely taken in by what the last three hundred years have said about it versus what actually existed twenty five hundred years ago, right, like absolutely, Yeah, it really takes like breaking things down and looking at them, you know, at their essence or just all these different ways that we can look at those things without the influence of straight white men.
Speaker 3: And yeah, And I think that's what's so valuable about what you do in the podcast is just that you are talking so much about the context as we I mean, obviously the sources we have our limited heartbreaking et cetera. But nonetheless, like there is context you can tell by putting different sources in conversation with each other how people thought about some stories at the time. And I think it's really useful to have that because I think you can see even in our own time, I mean, for God's sake, right like now we're living in a time where you have everything gets rebooted just like five years later, and see how different it is even then. So like, yeah, thinking about how centuries and centuries and centuries of retellings have kind of reshaped and distorted in a lot of cases the originals, and also how alien and weird a lot of the Originals were. I think that's valuable. Like, I think that was one of the biggest things that interested me about this was I remember thinking about this pretty explicitly as a first contact story, like in a science fiction sense, you know, like this is the first time that Alceasta's is actually meeting gods in a real intensive way, Like she's sort of her grandfather's kind of appeared occasionally and she's like yet, you know, and just try to avoid him essentially, And now so she's as fascinated with them as they are with her in a sense that it's it's almost easier if you think of the gods as aliens than if you try to think of them with the resonances that we have with the idea of a god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my favorite way of seeing the Greek gods. So because I think, well not, I think absolutely Christianity has one hundred percent influenced how we see these things. But like you know, people always want to put this like reverence on the gods that they don't deserve and they didn't have back in the day, like they it wasn't about treating them like a Christian god. It was not about any of that, like they were you know, I mean other than you know, the miss about insulting gods being kind of a bad idea, like otherwise, they probably saw them pretty poorly.
Speaker 3: And it felt like it was so transactional, right, It was like, you know, you need your relationship with the gods is about doing things the right way. It's not about how how you honor them in your heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, yeah.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, and I think I don't know, that's one of the things that I remember being the most struck by about, especially thinking about the time scale when you get into Rome in particular, just the idea that there were rituals that were old enough that nobody at the time knew what they were for, but that you still had to do them because you didn't want to piss off the cons That's amazing to me, Like that's so great, the notion that you know, within these these civilizations that we tend to collapse in our brains into like one thing that actually there were people who were like, I don't know, I don't know why we have to throw the piglet three times before we kill it, Like you just have to throw the piglet like and and I think that's really lovely that that there was just a human, a human superstition that kept some of these ideas going, that worked in ways that are recognizable, but also just was like so different, as you were saying, from anything that we associate with like Judeo Christian ways of building relationships with deities. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Rome is so interesting too, like without going deep into that, but their version of like because they were superstitious as all hell, like in a totally different way than the Greek. Yeah yeah, and you're like, guys, what's happening with you? Like their relationship with the gods. I always want to know more, but like I don't even know where to begin because my entire background is Greek, Like yeah, same, yeah, I mean I just my favorite thing to emphasize. And I know I sound like a broken record, but the thing about podcast is that people just pick up at a random place, so I have to say it every time. But like we're talking seven hundred to one thousand years worth of Greek. Yeah, mythology happening, like it was a moving and changing and adapting thing, and so yeah, when it gets collapsed into this like cut and dry a to B story. May you lose all of what makes it interesting, let alone all the complexities of the gods themselves. I mean, hell, like you even get things like you know, might I always have people asking me like why is Apollo the sun god but also Helios? And I'm like, time right, like five hundred years so like he didn't really used to be now he is or he was then or whatever, you know, Like, yeah, yeah, you have to have to account for like just the sheer volume of time. And I think when you're looking at a play, that's when it gets so interesting because it gets flattened into this this is the myth, but it's not the myth. It's one guy writing a story. He was fictionalizing it, Like we don't know, because especially with Alcestis, Like I'm trying to think of what other source we have. I'm sure, I'm sure she's in Pseudopollodorus. Do you know if she's one of the women that Odysseus meets in the underworld or anything. No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah I don't think so. No, I would remember if that were the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's a pretty iconic moment one of the best. I wish I had something on hand, but yeah, I mean, she's not mentioned often, and so no, I think I think that there is a Homeric reference to her or Admatis, But you know, other than that, we have Euipitdes' play and Euiptes play is weird. It is the weirdest Greek play without question, and so it's like, well, what was he doing with it? You know?
Speaker 3: Like I think at the time, were people like what the hell europodes? You know? Like that? I love to think that. I also, I mean, the one final thing I'll say about like inspirations for this is the first place that I had ever encountered this story was actually there's a roke cup poem that's lovely, that's about so it's very beautiful and the end of it is really striking. Let me see if I can pull it up here quickly. Yeah, not the archaiccter so apall. Anyway, the way I remember it is that the last line of the poem is communicating the notion that Agnotus is kind of turning from her and as she's disappearing, and it says, in order to see nothing but that smile like she smiles as she disappears, and that felt really, it felt really crystallizing of Admetus's reaction that he's like he wants to see her in a particular way. He wants to have this vision of her. I mean, I think before anyone else starts treating her as the ideal sacrificial wife, he does. And so it's this choice that he's making in terms of how to see her decision and how to see his own choices. And I think that influenced the way I came to the Europe's play when I read it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I mean makes sense, Like so much of the play is about Admotis making poor decisions and then having to face them and figure out what to do next, like you know, and it's it's such it's I wish that I had read it more recently. Frankly, I have to read too much Greek myth all the time, so I did not reread it, and so it's been like a year, but you know, he's just he's like making all these bad decisions and then feeling bad for himself and then like deciding what to do next, and he just like he just really is such an interestingly messy character that it's so clear to me that, like the play is really about Admetis, but he wants it to be about Alcestis, and so, you know, Euripies named it Alcestis, but it reminds me kind of of Antagony. You know, Antigony is really the creative show, right, but like it's a yeah, like what's making a show of being you know, about her or you know. I think Eurypsies are doing it more intentionally than Sophocles, but maybe again because that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I think that's why Sophocles was never my favorite. Yeah, I mean I love Antigony. It's a gorgeous play. Yeah, but it feels like, yeah, it feels like his treatment of her is kind of an instrument, is not conscious.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, Yeah, whereas this is like we're gonna call it the Alcestis because Admeatis would want it to seem like it is about Alcistis, but it is about Admotist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, absolutely, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I always was surprised that it's not one of the alphabet plays, like it is one of the ones that was preserved intentionally of euripites, and so like, I'm so you know, I wish I even knew where to find more commentary on it. People are always talking about commentary, and I'm like, I just I get I need to know more of these things, but like, I just want to understand more about you know, what they thought of it back then, I guess, and like why why it was one of the ones they saved, because like the Helen is the other one I think of in terms of like the weirdest plays, and that it was very much in alphabet play, like they did not save that on purpose.
Speaker 3: Sure, And I think, yeah, again, as I said, it's just it's really lovely to think about somebody, you know, whoever made the choice that ended up preserving the play, just being like well, this weird thing. Definitely we're gonna want to read that again because we don't know what's going on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, or like we'll studied in school because it's the weird one, Like it's yeah, it's got to be like that, that bizarre one that the that the kids are going to learn alongside.
Speaker 3: How I build my syllabi.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, right, Well, I mean this has been fascinating I'm thrilled about your book. I'm thrilled that there's more. Oh, thank you women queer Stories. I'm it's so cool that it was that early though too, so I'm glad that it's getting republished me too.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad that it also got republished with I'll show you whether it's not. But this is the original cover, a victorianting of a Roman woman on my Greek book. Looks beautiful though, loved it at the time. Great, you know, looks very Greek. They've definitely gone full.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's beautiful, but it's also like, yeah, there's a lot happening there.
Speaker 3: It's very gay and dramatic. I'm yeah. So for anyone who wants to pick up the gay and dramatic new edition, I highly recommend it has foil too. It's shiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when when is it being When is it out?
Speaker 3: So it was just it was released on I think September fifth, so it should be available everywhere. It's so repressed. Yeah and yeah, and this new edition, like I said, has a little bit of extra deluxe special material in it. The little flash fiction and stuff about the writing of the novel. So behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 1: Amazing. I love that. I meant to into this earlier. But the pomegranate of it all. Have you heard that they also there was a time when they believed that that was like a method of birth control.
Speaker 3: No, but I'm fascinated by that because I'm I'm super obsessed with sylphium. Oh yeah, the history. You know. I know your listeners are probably like, we're all obsessed with sylphium. We all need to know what the hell it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't talk about rome enough, so actually they're probably like, live, what is sylfie?
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: This is a conversation I have with my Rome obsessed friends.
Speaker 3: But fair, fair, but yes, the mystic, the mystical birth control herb that supposedly grew everywhere and was over harvested until it disappeared, is my understanding. Yes, yeah, so yeah, that becomes that becomes reproductive justice is definitely like a thing in my nineteenth century book. And so I was reading up on historical stuff about about birth control and I did not encounter the pomegranates. But do you know if there's any read like, was that explicitly linked to the persephone? Story.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think it could be explicit in the way that we would never have a source that's like because Persephone in the Underworld, you know. But I think I think that it's probably not much of a leap. I'm pretty sure. The problem with my podcast is that I learn all these things from all these experts and then I forget where I learned them, and things just live in my brain. But I would say I'm fairly certain that it is in Actually, no, I'm not the third episode I've done with Ellie, but I think her Persephone episode where with the tablets that I mentioned, I'm pretty sure basically if something had anything to do with Persephone or the Underworld, it was probably taught to me by Eley Meckan Roberts.
Speaker 3: Who is lovely sounds perfect. Yeah, absolutely, well, thank you so much. This is you.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad is there. Do you want my listeners to follow you anywhere or learn more about anything, or do you want to talk about your other book? And by talk, I just mean like tell us the name.
Speaker 3: Please sure so you can find me on Instagram, which I grudgingly finally activated in the last year because I knew it would destroy my attention span, and it has.
Speaker 1: However, it happened to be with TikTok.
Speaker 3: It's also enjoyable. Yeah, I'm still resisting intentionally, but ooh it's hard anyway. Yes, so you can find me on Instagram. And my second novel, Killing Lee, came out also with Soho Press in June, and that is a story about based on a true story about a student who disappeared from Mount Holyoke College, which is a women's college in Massachusetts, in eighteen ninety seven and was never found. So it is a queer historical crime novel that centers on the aftermath of her disappearance and her family looking for her and her best friend and private investigators and all of that. And I am currently working on a follow up to that novel, just doing a couple of years which will trace one of those characters and be set in queer, working class New York City and in nineteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Oh yeah, I know my listeners love queer stories, so I might as well share them all. That's great.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know if I will ever revisit the classical period or the Mycenian period in my specific case, but but I feel like those stories still undergird everything that I do, Like I don't know, yeah, just once you grew up, de Laer's like it's it's in you and it's impossible for it not to come out in your stories.
Speaker 1: Well, but especially when you're studying that time period though, of like English lit, like the number one thing I became to my because most of my friends were in my with my English major, and so like every time we would read anything from like seventeen hundred to nineteen hundred, it was like, live, there's another classical reference. Can you explain it to us? Like it they're just constant, right, Like they make up so much of mostly poetry, but like, my god, there's just so much you can't step away.
Speaker 3: They're so there was a whole other language of it was a whole of their just like means of communicating extra information to each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the best. Uh Well, thank you so much for doing this. It's been so much fun.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. Yeah. I had a delightful time talking about it, and I'm glad that I'm really excited that people might discover the book now that now that it has a genre to take a place in rather than just being a little book out there on its own a little bit too early, just waiting, waiting for everyone to join the retelling party, which is now bounteous and full of many options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, not to give the younger generation any credit too, but like, I also think it was kind of waiting for gen Z. I absolutely Canadian. I've been forcing myself to say Z instead of Z just now, but that one came that weird. But yeah, like I think it was waiting for them, like just the way that things have changed, and obviously millennials are a huge part of it as well, but like, yeah, I mean it's a much queerer world now than it was even you know, back ten years ago. So it's just the right time for all of this, right, Like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. Yeah, So no, it's a delight to talk about it, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to introduce more people to it.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled with Alcestis, like of all people, I was so excited. Yeah exactly, Oh, Nerds, thank you so much for listening, really really fun conversation. It was such a joy talking to Catherine, and I'm thrilled for you all to hear it now. Even if I recorded it like four months ago. Really it was so much fun and I just really think, I'll be honest, I haven't read the book yet, but Alcestis Alkestis is this character that just is so interesting, so lacking in mythological sources, and yet we have this incredible play by Euripides that is so weird and specific, and this idea that she just comes back from the dead and doesn't speak a damn word. I think she is so ripe for a novel, such a unique story, one that so few people really know about in the wider realm of Greek myth. Such a thrill, so so joy talking to Catherine, and if you are interested, check out that book. I have linked to Catherine's website in the episode description. Thank you all so much for listening. Let's talk about myths. Baby is written and produced by me Live Albert Michayla Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians, my assistant producer. I am doing this off of memory now. I've read these credits so many times. Laura Smith is the production assistant and audio engineer. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcasts network. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the Ancient Mediterranean. By becoming a patron, visit patreon dot com, slash mits baby, or click the link in this episode's description. I love having these conversations. I love having so many recorded that I can just pop this in when my life falls apart and I have to leave the country in an effort to stay sane. Thank you all so much for listening. I am live and I love this shit.