Speaker 1: Well, hello there, this is Let's talk about mits baby, and I'm your host live here with a very special episode. As we get deeper into December, and I play a little more fast and loose with the structure of my episodes, that's a good example of it. Today. Today I am back with the wonderful Alexandra Sills who joined me back in October for an episode on gladiators in the Greek world and how deeply fun and weird and like kind of nerdy they were in the grand scheme of gladiators. And when we recorded that episode, we also recorded a little something more an episode diving into the portrayal of gladiators on screen. Yes, I focused basically all of my knowledge on the Stars Spartacus series, as I both love it and have seen the gladiator focused episodes of that series many times by this point thanks to Jen and Jenny of Ancient History fangirl shout out. But Alexandra, well, she actually studies gladiators, so she talks about other famous on screen fights to the death, like the very Obvious Gladiator and the new one that's being made now which features a ridiculously white actor playing an ancient real guy who was from North Africa and Syria. Good times, Hollywood has come so far the sarcasm is coming across here right anyway. Aside from that absurdly whitewashed bit of casting, we talked about just how gladiators are portrayed on screen versus what we know about the very real peace people who competed in these competitions, people who did it because they were enslaved and forced to, or because they'd gained their freedom and they still wanted to fight, or because they just felt like it in the first place. Plus, while we talk a lot about the fun side of gladiators on screen, and by that I do mean ridiculously cut in attractive men primarily Australians, honestly, and how nice they look fictionally tearing apart another nearly naked man in the arena. Let's be honest, it's such a Roman topic that that is what I focus my attention on. I won't pretend to be better than that. But before we get into talking seriously about gladiator portrayal and very not seriously about hot half naked dudes on screen, just a reminder that you have just a little longer to submit your questions, requests, comments, literally whatever. For the new year, Q and A episode. Head to mythsbaby dot com slash questions and submit before December twenty seventh, and I will do my best to get to everyone's submissions, and thank you to every everyone who has already submitted. I have some great things to work off of. I love when I get particularly once where I'm like hmm thrilled somebody asked that cannot wait to answer, So send me more of those, won't you. This is episode two forty two, half naked dudes and lots of blood gladiators on screen with Alexandra Sills to the listeners, Alexandra and I had planned to talk about these gladiators and then at one point I just sent like a frantic DM being like, what do you know about Star Spartacus? Could we talk about it? And uh, yeah, you were keen, and so thank you because I'm just so fascinated by Star Spartacus. But also we're going to turn it into more of like gladiators generally on screen, because I think that's super interesting and like, I've seen Gladiator but it's been a while, but I really I've seen Star Spartacus seasons one and two a lot so I'd love to know. I mean we talked a little about how they have they have shields, which is accurate, which is.
Speaker 2: Here, yes, the shields.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I want to know, like what they do right, what they do wrong? What does Gladiator do really wrong? Because I imagine there's a lot more wrong and Gladiator and then got Any and everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Star Spartacus when it first came out, this was before I started researching the Spectacle, and I kind of wrote it off as like a three hundred knockoff. I mean, it looked like it was trying to be three hundred, which already had that kind of fascist aesthetic thing going on. And I thought, but you know what, I started watching it again because now that I researched Spectacle, I watch everything that's got spectacal in it. For instance, did you know that there's an episode of the Smurfs that has a Gladiator episode?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Now I know, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's brainy Smurf as well, it's not even like one of them. So you know, I watch all of these sometimes it's like forcing myself to watch these. So I thought, oh, I'll watch the Star Spartaca series again and Obviously I'm not gonna be happy with all of it, but I am obviously aware that it's an entertainment. So to be honest, I could talk for half an hour about the opening scene.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's here's my problem with how I went about it, and we can blame like, I only know of Spartacus through Jen and Jenny because they were They're really big on Rome in the way that I'm just like obsessed with Greece, and so like the silly origin that I just think says a lot about both my friendship with those ladies and agent strupangirl, but also like Spartacus generally, is that we talked one time but ended up. It was like in the height of the pandemic when everyone's like kind of locked down and we got really drunk over FaceTime and became friends. And then they immediately transitioned into we want you to watch Stars Spartacus with us. But what they wanted to do was go chronologically, so to the listeners like, oh yeah, yeah. So so they start like the first season of Spartacus, it introduces Spartacus and all of these you know, characters and everything. But then during the second season, the actor who was playing Spartacus was diagnosed with cancer, sad, and so they created a prequel series instead to like replace it. So what we did was watch the prequel series first, which introduces Ganicus but also is ridiculously violent, like a little bit more so than Spartacus, or like more of like it's joyful in the violence because and so like the very first episode of that, I know it ends with the guy getting peed on after he gets beaten to a pulp. Yeah, yeah, but I wonder I forget, like how the actual first I guess the first episode of Spartacas starts with like more of the Spartacus of it all, and like how he gets to be enslaved. So I'm just trying to remember because I always watch it Ganicus first. That was a long winded introduction, uh, but suddenly my basis for the show. But all to say, like, yeah, I mean I don't know what tell me everything. I don't even know. I'm just rambling now.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I think what's really interesting with any time you tell Spartacus is that the elephant in the room is Stanley Kubrick and.
Speaker 3: The original I have to say, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I have and there's actually not a lot of glatatory stuff in it. I think there's only two gladiatorial fights in the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, it's more about the rebellion itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So I think it's really difficult because that film was so iconic, it's really difficult to retell the story without calling back to that version. So, for instance, the first time we see Spartacus is he's in chains, and the first time you see nineteen sixty KK Douglas, he's in chains. So this time you see him, he's chained up, and eventually you work out he's chained up underneath your amphitheater and he's about to go and fight. And what I think is really interesting here. I mean, the nerdy thing that I thought is that amphitheatre shouldn't be their mate. It's not been built yet, details details such a nerd. But the capular amphitheater was built by Augustus and then rebuilt one hundred two hundred years later, So the actual Spartacus died one year before the first stone amphitheater was built in Pompeii. Interesting, so if you see any version of Spartacus in a stone amphitheater, it's wrong. So I mean, I noted that, yeah, being pedantic, But what I thought was really interesting was the level of detail that star Spartacus go into, whereas other gladiatorial screen stories don't. So whereas I first kind of wrote it off as this hyper glorification of violence soft pornography, the level of detail that they cram in there is really really commendable, even.
Speaker 1: Just like the show generally, Like, I do think it comes off like that, like it really wants to be three hundred And it would have given me real red flags too if it wasn't introduced to me the way it was, which was like too feminist yelling about how it's good. But like yeah, because it really gives that off. But not only like the detail that I can't wait to hear about, but also like it is it's quite kind to women, like the women characters are badass and also like violent and dark and like, I don't know, Yeah, I do think that it is. It's a much better quality show in a lot of ways than I think people give it credit for if they haven't you know, like actually kind of sat down and watched it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it suffers from trying to do too many things at once. So, for instance, the dialogue is all quite elevated dialogue, but the pawn is very pornographic. Yeah, the details are there, but then they're trying really hard to attract the three hundred brows, and I think they haven't managed to. Personally, they've done a great job, I think, but for me it's a little bit disjointed. But what they really have done, which I thought was brilliant, is I've looked at gladiators on screen from all genres. So, for instance, famous characters who have acted as gladiators on screen include, but are not limited to, Captain Kirk, Doctor Who Thoor, and the Incredible Hulk. There is the Hungry Games obviously, Brainy Smurf, Homer Simpson, Archer Fry, and doctor Zoidberg from Futurama. You know, they're all of these glad gamer Thrones, Dungeons and Dragons. The new film that has.
Speaker 3: An arena scene.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that Star Spartacus is the only one of I think twenty six of these examples, including science fiction, fantasy, all of these the only ones to include queer relationships. Gladiators in queer relationships, and yeah, I mean in the first series there's a little bit of you know, bury your gaze happening, but particularly in the prequel series, and then it's not quite as.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit burier gays in a prequel series, but then when you get into the later series, there's some really beautiful queer relationships between these men. And out of all of these you know, progressive shows, stars, which is Tits and Swords, is the only one to show a really beautiful queer relationship.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, that's that.
Speaker 2: I think they really do need a random applause for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's really true. And like I was thinking about the barrier gaye aspect because like it, it's there, definitely, and I don't want to, like, you know, try to defend anything. But at the same time, like I feel like it's not I don't know, I feel like maybe it's not as egregious as like it definitely could have been more so because it is still in service to one of the characters, you know, like it it's in service to the plot and to the romance or of like I'm thinking Barka and like, yeah, yeah, I don't know, it's it's interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's it's like there but also like I don't know, makes sense, and then also like leads him to having other relationships which are also valuable. You know. Does that mean like yeah, yeah, it's it's difficult to explain fully, but yeah. I hadn't thought about that way though, And it is huge to be in a show like that, like three hundred. It's like, you know, three hundred is like the straightest, straightest thing ever. Yeah, it's about the Spartans, whereas.
Speaker 2: There's there's a reason there's certain type of.
Speaker 1: That film, right, Yeah, yeah, and I do think that Spartacus almost was like, yeah, they were kind of almost like we don't want that type. We don't we're not looking for the three hundred audience, and we're going to make that very clear because not only is their queer relationships, but they're like really lovely.
Speaker 2: Like beautiful relationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really well done and really believable.
Speaker 2: And men showing emotions, yes.
Speaker 1: In a setting like gladiators.
Speaker 3: So it's there's so much there.
Speaker 2: I mean, even some of the minor characters in the Stars Barska series show a wider range of emotions than Russell Crowe doesn't gladiate it and I know that. I mean, he was amazing in that film and he deserves the Oscar, but he didn't exactly run the gammut of emotions in that film.
Speaker 1: Friendships too like friendships in there, Yeah, both romantic and not.
Speaker 2: And because there's there's a thing that I've noticed in gladiatorial stories is that the antagonist needs two types of friends. The one that's kind of obedient sidekick, and sometimes this is the same person, sometimes it's a separate person, and then there's the other guy who dies a violent death to show that they're in a dangerous situation but so that the protagonists can live. And a lot of gladiatorial stories on screen it is very much fridging. You know, they're there to die in a horrendous way so that you can think, oh, few, my guy didn't die. But I think in Spartacus they really do have a lot deeper characterization to the supporting cast than Gladiator, and even I'd say even the Hunger Games. Really the films the books maybe not, but the films of the Hunger Games, some of the characters there, they're supporting characters that are not as deep as in this Star Sparkut series, which is you know, tits and swords.
Speaker 1: But both also the male nudity they do not shy away from, like like, there's an enormous amount of that show that I think is pretty strongly through like female gaze, like yeah, or like just yeah, it's very not straight man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right there. And of course this goes back to though gladiators in ancient Rome were huge heart throbs. There's a piece of graffiti in POMPEII and it might have been written by the guy himself to you know, like pick himself up. It might have been written by a fan, but he puts I'm the one who makes all the girls sigh. And then there's a story about a wife who's who's run away with a gladiator even though he's got you know, califlower and a broken nose and scars all over his face and things like that, saying why would she run away with him? And I'm thinking seriously, Yeah, I mean Gladiator for me came out when I was fifteen, and it's a very important age for a girl. And you know, not muscil Crow, theone it's always been hardened for me, big old German blonde guys. I don't know what that says.
Speaker 3: Bad, I try don't think.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I don't know if Gladiator I'm not trying to remember with it. I also came out when I was came on tw thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Right, two thousand, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelve. Yeah, I feel like I was just like little, little younger. I remember watching it though in like a it was basically like an art history kind of class, but it was supposed to the ancient civilizations and our teachers. Yeah, I mean I would have been like sixteen.
Speaker 2: So so this is where I think Spartacles is better than Gladiator on and a couple of them are like, you know, minute details that only someone as near idea as me would care about. So for instance, helmets. Spartacus uses helmets because they had helmets on nearly all of the time. Spartacles has shields, which again really important piece of kit. You mustn't leave your shield behind. You can do massive amounts of deal damage with it as well as defense. Take your shield. But also, yeah, it does show the nudity, which isn't it is an important aspect because is it highlights the skill that you needed as a gladiator if you've got your six pack showing and most of them wouldn't have had six packs. Sorry, I'm thinking, you know, do you remember that Pompei film with Kit Harrington is Milo the Gladiator and he's coming out looking like he's got like zero percent body fat. I'm thinking he's not going to have the energy to do a fifty anyway. Yeah, you've got this amazing body. Having it on display shows how skilled you need to be with defense with your shield, because if you're wearing a massive breastplate like Maximus is, of course you can take as much damage as you want. There's no risk there. Part of the part of the danger of a gladiator fight is that they're so exposed behind the shield, So yes, you need your shield in Gladiator they're all wearing tunics all the time, and Maximus just goes through. I think there's one fight where he kills six people and I counted it something like thirty two seconds. And I know they make they're making a point there that he's he's accepting the role, but he was refusing to fulfill it in the way that they want him to by providing the spectacle. But I think what's really great about Spartacus is that they show much after match that is man on man equally matched, and they do have that level of skill. In gladiator, you get a lot of clanging sounds sword on sword, plang clang, clang, clang clang, and they just hit each other's swords for however long the scene lasts, which is not exciting. It wouldn't have it wouldn't have worked, and the Romans wouldn't have been very impressed with it. I think in Spartacus they go more out of their way to show some actual technique. And I don't know who was the choreographer on the series, but they've done a great job in showing that actually, you've got this kit on, this is what your kit is. You can't just clang clang clang. It doesn't work. You've got to find ways around it. I mean, occasionally they've fallen into the trap of oh, I'm going to do this big old move because it looks good on screen and it was used in a video game or something, so people are going to go world when they's it. But generally their matches are really good. Yeah, absolutely, yeah. But what I really hate about Sparsacus is the spectators because they are seen to be screaming and blood their see the women are so into it that they don't realize that their tits are hanging out. It's it's showing the spectators to be mindless, bloodthirsty morons, when actually that's not the role of spectacles. It's to think about mortality and masculinity and strength and courage and imperialism and mercy. Is not just to see someone bleed. If you want to see someone bleed, you can do that anywhere in Rome. To be honest, what they're going to see is the skill and the masculinity. And that's I think where Spartacus the series for me, has the best fight scenes out of all gladiatorial screens so far films, TV, Spartacus has got the best one mm.
Speaker 1: Hmm there And this is like my lack of knowledge, like observation, but they also seem to have a pretty decent grasp on the the imperial imperialism aspect, like the way that a lot of the different gladiators come from so many different parts where they would have been enslaving people. There's a lot of like there's a lot more diversity in that enslavement, but still yeah, because.
Speaker 2: They were coming from all corners of the empire and beyond mm hm, and you've got them all. They did live in the same place, in confined spaces, and it would have been the case that, especially in towns that weren't big enough to have too gladiatorial familiar you would have to fight the people that you're living with, and how do you deal with that? How do you confront the fact? So one brilliant scene that Spartacus does really, really well is Varro, the guy that signs up to get his infant sons and money the Auctuariti, and he's killed at party on the whim of a fourteen year old aristocrat. That scene is perfect because he has to accept his death with dignity. That's what he's been trained to do. He is absolutely right to say that Spartacus will be punished if Spartacus doesn't kill him. It absolutely was the case that, on a whim, your best friend could be the one to kill you, and you had to deal with that in the way that was expected of you, which I can't imagine. It must have been so hard. It's taken some serious brainwashing. But again, one of the things that that series does so well is that all of these people were living in close confinement with each other, but that the e Ludus, the building that they were all living in and training in, wasn't just gladiators. That show shows the trainers, the doctors, the cleaners, the cooks. It shows that it was a huge, huge machine of different people producing these shows behind the scenes, living together and having to negotiate such the strange profession together. Yeah. And I think in other shows, the other shows and fields, they don't go into that so much. It's all, oh, well that that guy's bad because he's from this area of the empire, and I like this one, and that's that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems more like surface level, like just what I remember a radiator is very It's like like, yes, his like kind of you know, enslavement is the point, but it also like like I don't want to say glamorizes it, but it doesn't show like I guess I should say that what I took from Spartacus particularly, I mean in different ways between the first and the second season. You know, the first season shows the horror like of being in a situation where you are enslaved to be forced to do that, and then I think the second season shows the different side of it, which is equally interesting. You know, Ganikis is enslaved and he is forced to do these things, but then he gains his own freedom and he does get a satisfaction out of it. Like like, I could see Ganikiss being one of the people that you talked about, you know, in our longer episode about the Gladiators, is like I could see him having an epigraph, you know, about how proud he is of what he did, whereas Spartacus wouldn't. Like it shows the kind of two different sides that yeah, could be, because you know, there are some people who embrace their life and embrace what the skills that they, you know, have have gained from this and like take pride in it, and then there are others who are like, I'm doing this because I have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's there's a great scene with Ganikus is his death scene, which is where he's one of the people being crucified along the Appian Way and he it's it's left kind of open whether he's hallucinating through you know, being crucified and is all his oxygen's disappearing, or whether he's, you know, in his final moments, he imagines himself back in the arena with thousands of people sharing his name, and that's he smiles on his way out. And I think it's it's it's brilliant in its own little way because it kind of gives these men the pride that too often we try and take away from them with our kind of new Christianity has spread over the Western Now we're all, you know, moralistic, even if we're not particularly Christian. That kind of wouldn't hurt fly kind of thing. Yeah, with Ganicus, he was he was an artist in his own way, which is an odd way to think about it to a modern perspective, But this is how you've got to think of them, is they consider themselves very skilled tradesmen. And I can absolutely see that that's that's the kind of way that he'd want to go out. He's on a cross, but that's that's the way he would have wanted to go out. M hm, thousands sharing your name.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like this show is very aware of what it's doing too, because like, even just as an like watching it, you know, you you go through kind of so many different things because like the spectacle that they put on when people are in the arena is like incredible to watch and you do, like you can understand how it would have been to be watching that, you know, in the ancient world. But then at the same time you have to see the parts of their lives that were horrific, but you also get to see the parts where they were able to make something that they could be proud of amidst a life that maybe they didn't choose. And then but they also give you the depth of like like you develop a real love hate relationship with the you know, with Battiatis who like owns everybody and his whole family. Like, I think that they're very aware of making a show that's like you're gonna love these people, you're gonna hate them, You're gonna be really uncomfortable. Like there's just so many different kind of things at play, and maybe I'm giving them a lot of credit. I don't know, but like it's quite enjoyable in that way. You do kind of get to see so many different bits and pieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I really liked with Batti Artists was they emphasized with him how gladiators would be considered by the people owning them, So you see him care for them not necessarily out of human compassion, because that's not his way, but because they are investments.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: And I think that one of the and it thankfully it's becoming less of a prevalent myth. Now, the myth that was running rampant that gladiatorial fights always were fought to the death, which we know isn't true. You probably had anywhere between a one in five and a one in ten chance each time he went out of leaving dead.
Speaker 1: That's quite low, I would based on what I've learned through the myth of being to the death. I think.
Speaker 2: The beginners, obviously your chances were higher. But the better you became, and the more famous she became, and the more experienced she became, you began to be a draw yourself. You know, your name and lights, so it was worth keeping you alive so that you could keep making your boss money. And I think Spartacus that series really does show that he is viewing them, and again not because he's a humanitarian, but you know through a financial lens, he's thinking, how can I get these guys to make money. I need to look after them in a certain way to make sure they're fighting fit. And this is why you've got scenes with the doctors and the medical teams. We know that gladiators did have the best medical care. A lot of money was spent on the medical care. They were given a specific diet to keep them fighting fit. Not a particularly rich diet, shall we say, but it gave them exactly the amount of fuel that they needed to do the training. And what I really like about the series is that it shows how much of a commodity a gladiator could be through batty artists, the way that he talks about them financially, the way that he talks about buying them, selling them. Is it worth doing this with this one? How long should I keep this one alive for? And that I think it hits home with him. I'm keeping this one alive because he keeps Spartacus alive longer than some of his friends want him to, because he knows that it's going to be a good show, and a good show earns him money. So it does demonstrate perfectly why you don't kill your gladiators fifty percent of the time. You need them to rise up those ranks and become superstars, and by doing that you need to keep them well trained, which they do. You can see he's got a trainer. They even train well like they do in the artistic depictions that we have. They would train by hitting a big stick. It's so silly a big stick, I like a tree trunk. Yeah, and you would, you would try attacking it. We know that we've got it in art so they've got that right. So I think more than any other series Gladiator it goes into a little bit with Proximo, but Spartacus really does go well into the territory of it's a business enterprise, which I think gets lost in some other translations that would see it more as just you know, a blood bath mm hmm, capitalism, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it's so much more interesting to see those aspects too, because otherwise, I mean, yes, it's a bloodbath, but also so like you just kind of get stuck on, you know, turning like heroizing the main character like in Gladiator, Like it just becomes a bit more I don't know, Like, I think it's more interesting to examine I mean, surprise, surprise. I think it's more interesting to examine the ancient world of it all that all the different aspects that went into something like Gladiators, all the bits and pieces the very real life, you know, of everyone involved. It's so much more interesting to look at that stuff and see how everything would work together and where things would clash, and and just to kind of see all sides of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's interesting, isn't it. Because Batti Artists and his rival, it always comes down to money mm hmm. And that's exactly how it was. So, for instance, the person owning the gladiators in this case Bati Artists would rent them out to the person putting on the show, and that would be at a fixed rate depending on what type of gladiator, what rank they were, So the more experienced superstar ones could charge a hell of a lot more than the beginners, and if they left the arena alive, that was their fee. If they died, the person renting that gladiator not only lost what we would consider the deposit, he would have to pay the owner in this case of Patiatist, the full worth of that gladiator as compensation, So he's essentially buying the whole gladiator if they die. So when you see scenes of gladiators like Maximus or Spartacus just plow through ten opponents in seconds, it all starts to become so expensive to become too expensive to be real. Yeah, because no one, no one would want to spend the money buying six eight, ten gladiators to die in thirty seconds just because some upstart has a point to prove. That's the kind of thing that gets you whipped back at the Ludus if not immediately executed. It all comes down to money.
Speaker 1: What a surprise, shocker, It was different now, So yeah, I mean it goes to show as well that the.
Speaker 2: More famous Spartacus becomes, you see that his life and the Ludas becomes a little bit richer, gets a little bit of a nicer place to sleep, gets treated nicer by the staff. It's all entirely plausible that you'd want to keep your celebrities happy. And part of that meant, I mean it didn't work, did it, because Spartacus's we know, wasn't very happy.
Speaker 1: Famously yeah, a famously unhappy with his lot.
Speaker 2: But and this is actually, this is one thing that Spartacus does very well, and it links straight back to Stanley Kubrick Sparscus because the Stars series shows him in the very first episode as being more military militarily talented than the Roman. The Roman ignores his advice, it all goes horribly wrong. Blah blah blah blahlah. Sparsacus is enslaved. This is important because in the nineteen sixty version, the novel that it was based on and the screenplay were both written by prominent American communists, and they were following in a long tradition of making Spartacus some kind of communist messianic figure, right, and the studio executives and to a certain extent, Stanley Kubrick himself, went ah, we can't do this because we're going to get in trouble with the with the authorities. They're going to whop us in prison. So slowly but surely, over the course of that film being made, every reference to Spartacus being a credible threat to the Roman Empire was taken out. So the real Spartacus fought in I think nine battles, and they don't show a single one in that film apart from the one where he fails. Huh, So none of his victories are shown. The screenwriter had to fight with the studio executives to have them mention any of the victories so that film, because they were so scared of presenting a communist. Wow, essentially emasculated him completely into someone who you think, well, yeah, he's he's not a credible threat. You never see him doing anything threatening. But the Stars series shows all of these battles. They show you that he has got this tactical mind, that he can organize the battle, that he is a man of the people. I don't think it would be fair to call the ancient Spartacus a communist or an abolitionist of slavery. There's no evidence that he wanted any of that. I think the evidence is that he wanted to escape if he could take a lot of people with him, that's great because there's strength in numbers. But it's not because he wanted to destroy the institution of slavery. There's just no evidence for that. So he was not a revolutionary. He just understood that he was more likely to escape if he had a lot of people backing him up. But I think one thing that is important that the Star Sparsaket series has done is to re return him as a credible military threat, because.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: You know, he really was a credible threat, and the nineteen sixties they were too scared to show it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know any of that, because I haven't seen that one. Yeah, that's so nineteen sixties and also so American broadly, oh yeah, but especially American in that time. But I mean the way America is still just so entirely afraid of the very concept of communism is.
Speaker 3: Hilarious.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's really that's really interesting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I mean I will give them props of that. They show the battles, they show you him winning, and obviously they've got a series rather than a film, so they've got more time to show it. But it's not like Stanley Kubrick didn't have the budget. There's there's a reason that he didn't put Sparskus winning any battles in the movie. Yeah, but here, you know, they show him and he really really frightens the Romans and he did, so that's that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really love that.
Speaker 1: I I just wish that it had they hadn't had a change actors. But yeah, it's it's not it's not the same.
Speaker 3: That's really interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad to know that. And I also though, like, as we've already gone over our little planned time, but I would love to still hear a bit more about the what your thoughts are on the new Gladiator and potential new Spartacus if.
Speaker 2: You've got Yeah, so Ridley Scott, for reasons unknown to anyone but himself, YEP has decided to do a sequel twenty three twenty four, Well it will be twenty four years later, which has prompted stars to talk about rebooting their series. And there's also a third there's a third Gladiatorial series on its way, which is Roland Emerick is making a series called Those About to Die, which there is not a lot of info about, so cautiously optimistic about that one. The issues that I have with the Gladiator too are for a start, they're whitewashing the cast.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say. That's the only thing I know is that which is the most okay. So there's only one that I heard of because I think it was so egregious, like the person was from like the real person was like Carthaginian or something, and they have like the whitest actor.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they've got Caracala and his father was from Leptis Magna, which is in northern Africa, and his mother was Syrian, and they've got him being played by oh I think it was going to be that guy, the Irish guy. Oh no, yeah, it's the guy from Stranger Things. And then his brother is equally you know, even paler, if that's possible. The reason that I've got an issue for this is that, like three hundred, the movie Gladiator has its own special little fan club of people with certain ideological views. And there's already a problem with whitewashing antiquity to fit in with this idea of the West being the inheritors of this pure civilization. And if you start whitewashing the crap out of a dynasty that were very much not white, I think that's it's just giving ammunition to the wrong people who have let's basically got enough ammunition as it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the idea that we're still doing that in twenty twenty three, that's the most horrifying thing, because you're right, like, yeah, like the ancient world, particularly Greece and Rome already have an enormous amount of white supremacy tied to them bye bye why supremacist, but also by these like long standing ideas of whiteness that even put on them. So yeah, like taking a character that's got North African and Syrian roots and making them so white, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean milk pale, just like.
Speaker 3: The Palist person. Imaginable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean they're filming in Malta. I don't know how much SPF they're going through with that cast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: They're all it's wild wild.
Speaker 1: I learned about that casting and I was like, oh, the guy standerd things cool. And then I saw somebody tweet about because I didn't just didn't know where Caracalla was from. But then they were like, yeah Syrian and North African.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that might have been me tweeting. Actually, I've been very was it.
Speaker 1: Was either you or like, I mean, I'm on a very leftist classics part of Twitter.
Speaker 3: Thank fu.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a reason I'm there where they are, damn right. I got threatened with communism the other day and I was like, please me with a good time, truly. But yeah, it's it's yeah, I mean it's horrifing that that is still happening as well.
Speaker 2: The thing is gladiatorial stories, and this goes for swords and sandals as well as other genres that it's led out into. Has a real problem with how they talk about race. Star Spartka is less so, but it's it's not perfect in that a lot of the characters of color amongst the gladiatorial ludus are what we would call the black buddy sidekick, or sometimes referred to as the magical negro. Claire Greenhouse has done a great chapter on this. She's listed all of them and how they all fit into the same tired tropes that again go back to the nineteen sixty film where it's released in nineteen sixty. So you've got this the black gladiator Drabba, who decides it's better to die than to live enslaved, which might have been a really strong message in nineteen sixty, But here we are, all of these years later, and you've still got the black gladiators being sacrificed left, right, and center and being treated like subservient to their white body. What frustrates me with Gladiator two is that they are bringing back Juba. He is recurring now. He is the only member of Maximus's Ludas to survive the first film. All of the rest of them sacrifice themselves to give Maximus enough time to get away. Juba is the only person that manages to escape, and he says at the end and now we are free, I will see you in this life and what the next? And you think, who's we There's none of you left, right, Yeah, you're all dead. But more than that, he is the one that talks to Maximus about the importance of family, homeland. He is the one that buries Maximus's little figurines of his wife and son, talks about meeting them in the afterlife and you see you. But at the end of the last film, he is the character that is the hope for the audience standing because he's the only person who's not an aristocrat who survives the film, right, and you get the idea that now he is free, so he's going to go back to Africa and find his family and his children, his wife that he's spoken about. But then they're bringing the actor back for the sequel. So what does that say. It says that he hasn't managed to achieve freedom. He hasn't got back to his homeland, he hasn't reunited with his family. He's still crushed under the Roman wheel. So that's really fucking depressing. Sorry, I mean, I love the actor. I think he's brilliant, but that that is pissing in my corn flakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would remember Gradator now because I just don't even I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: Most of the plot, I think the last time I saw it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's I mean, yeah, it also just generally I'm curious how they're going to handle the whole plot given everything you just said, you know, even aside from the ramifications of bringing back a character like that, like it just I don't know. It doesn't seem like a movie that was at all in need of a sequel, let alone one twenty four years later.
Speaker 2: I mean, the thing is is if you're going the historical route, which I highly doubt because I don't think Ridley Scott's ever read a book about ancient room.
Speaker 1: I mean, Maximus wasn't.
Speaker 2: A real person, no, could you believe it naming everybody max So Lucius isn't supposed to have survived, neither is his mum, who is also coming back. Lucius did have a surviving brother who was murdered by Cara Calla I think, or one of the Severans murdered him. So either they're going to kill off Paul Meskal or I don't know, maybe maybe they'll have him be the one that kills Caracalla because Caracalla was assassinated in a very exciting way. He was having a WII at the side of the road and got stabbed whilst he was pissing. So I highly doubt Ridley Scott's going to put that in. So either they're going to have a film called Gladiator Too, which has hardly got any gladiators in it. I don't know, it's going to be a fucking mess.
Speaker 1: Such a mess if you based your entire movie on freeing gladiators and then you make a second one called Gladiator Too, Like, what are what is the point?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: I mean, they've got bigger problems because I mean they've got to somehow explain that Maximus died so that they could bring the Republic back, and now they've got to admit, oh, he didn't bring the republic back. It's still Emperor's oopsie. Your hero died for nothing. Oops. So that's embarrassing. I've got no idea why. I mean the film. I love that film, not as a fascist. I have other reasons for liking the film.
Speaker 1: I don't know that you had to say that, but I appreciate.
Speaker 2: I mean, I do I really do.
Speaker 1: I would have assumed and I would hope that if you're on my show, you're just not a fascist.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm very much not a fascist, but a lot of fascists like the film. So yeah, Unfortunately it is getting to the point where you've got to kind of clarify it sounds like three hundred yeah, exactly, exactly. Yeah. I don't think it needed a sequel. I highly intend to get some journal articles, maybe a conference paper or two out of it, so great benefit. The Star Sparska series is also going to be difficult to reboot simply because yes, there were survivors. We did see a hell of a lot of them be crucified along the Appian Way. That's accurate. However, the ones that escaped over the mountains were all hunted down over the next year by Pompey and also crucified and murdered in their thousands. So again, really fucking depressing.
Speaker 3: Probably a great show.
Speaker 2: It would literally be ten episodes of people living in the woods having to wipe their ass with leaves and get hunted down by Romans. There's no happy ending. Slavery wasn't stopped, gladatorial combat wasn't stopped aristocracy crunching people under their heels. That did the stops. I don't know. You could do another prequel maybe, but I think the really important thing to note with the Spartacle story, and they do follow history quite closely, there was never a single gladiator uprising after that. Either people were too oppressed to do it or they were too as we've seen, you could it was perfectly possible to be content as a gladiator with your fate, so there wasn't another uprising. So if you're going to do another series, it's either going to be about people being massacred, or maybe they could do a series where Spartacus's ghost goes to Greece where there's loads of call gladiators. You aren't miserable all the time, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that would be fine.
Speaker 2: You could get me as a historical consultant on that one. I work from, you know, really cheap cheap. But yeah, I'm I'm not looking forward to any of it, simply because I mean, I don't I don't understand that they're going to have to dig themselves out of so many holes for both ones. So my money is on those who are about to die because well simply because I don't know anything, so I can't get to test about it yet.
Speaker 3: Gotiously optimistic.
Speaker 2: I think the important thing is there have been gladiators on screen since we've had screens, and if anything, after Kubrick and after and after Ridley Scott, it's shown acceleration. So you've got them in science fiction, fantasy, dystopian, comedy, paradi smurfs, you've got them.
Speaker 3: I'm going to find that hilarious.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it myself now. And I think the recent Dungeons and Dragons movie, which had a fantastic arena sequence, I think, if that's such a fun movie.
Speaker 1: Brilliant movie, really underrated. I feel like I didn't hear anybody talk about it.
Speaker 3: It's very good.
Speaker 2: I mean I could talk about that movie for hours just about that. That scene shows that with imagination and modern CGI, you can make arena scenes ever more bombastic. So I don't think gladiators are going to leave our screens anytime soon, away from swords and sandals, but they're still going to be there often. I mean, we've seen them in Game of Thrones, We've seen them everywhere. They are everywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the four, Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cork. Cork is brilliant, what a character, truly, and you know, you know what I really loved about that is this is gonna stund so dirty. The Hulk had his helmet on the detail people the detail.
Speaker 1: I mean, that movie is one of the best Marvel movies ever.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not a huge Marvel fan. I watched it because I knew it had a gladatorial scene in it, because I did a paper that's coming out soon actually about gladiators in Hollywood. It's coming out in a Melita Classica volume nine. And you know, I go through all of these shows and talk about what they've got in common. And that's the only reason I watched that film. So I had to get my friends to expect, why is Thor doing that? Who's this guy?
Speaker 1: The best part about that movie, though, is I feel like it's such a departure from most of the Marvel that came before it, which is why I like it so much, But also like would be probably easier to be kind of thrown in because it's really absurd compared to most others, including the other Thorp movies, Like it doesn't really fit in a great way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it has a similar sense of humor to the Dungeons and Dragons on amongst Theves.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I really hope that turns into a franchise.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, me too. No, it was wonderful, But like when it comes to the Thor, it's it was just so Tayka with That was the key to it, right, it was like the first one he did, and then of course he planned and it's just like it's that's what it is.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's why.
Speaker 3: Hilarious and wonderful and yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean going back to the Greek gladiators, I think if anyone takes them to the screen, it needs to be typ Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, could you imagine, like it could be like what's his amazing pirate show?
Speaker 2: But like oh yeah, yeah, you can have your you know, really overly serious movies with Maximus in the West, but we'll have Tiger in the East.
Speaker 1: Yes, making our flag means death. But gladiators like it could be so queer and silly and fun.
Speaker 2: But with Greek gladiators, I've got like casts, ideal casts already running through my head. And again I would work so cheaply as a historical consultant. I'm just saying I would work for cookies if necessary. Just give me a call. Ah.
Speaker 1: I'm also going to correct in case somebody wants to yell at me. I know that he isn't making our flag means death. He's in it, and I know it has different creators, the vibes.
Speaker 2: I just know that I enjoyed it. I thought that was that's happening.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a reason he's in it because it has some very similar vibes to him. In any case, Yeah, that's a new goal. I just want more than anything, and this comes up on the show all the fucking time. I just want a movie about the ancient world that is accurate in its absurdity, because there is so much wonderfully magnificent absurdity to work with in the ancient world, and instead, every time Hollywood packs it up, they either make it like overly serious to the point of unrealistic, or they like Clash of the Titans it where they're like, yeah, it's mythological and weird, but none of it's accurate, even though everything Perseus actually does could make for an incredible movie with all of the same action and fun and silliness without making like a fucking heard of pegasi or like having pegasust go I am to Medusa, like I just I just want some accuracy.
Speaker 2: Do you know? There is one inaccuracy though, and all of the Gladiators shows have it, and I will never ever complain about it is braces. The men always wear the braces on their wrists, and I will never ever complain because I have a theory right that braces on men is like corsets and lingerie on women. I can see that in that they are designed completely purposeless, apart from to highlight a particular body part that looks particularly good on that gender. Right, that's their sole function. Braces are like corsets for men. Because you think about all the films Brad Pitt and Troy and Eric Banner and Troy, they've got the braces.
Speaker 1: I can see them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Cavil wears braces when he was Theseus, wasn't he in the film?
Speaker 1: We don't talk about that. I mean, absolutely nothing about it actually resembles Theseus and Theseias is still garbage.
Speaker 2: It's Henry Cavill, so I'll give it past.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure and they look great.
Speaker 2: Yes, James Purefoy in Rome. Where's braces better than any man I've ever seen? So I don't care how many gladiators wear them. Gladiators didn't have them, but you can stick them on whomever you like and it will make them look hotter. It's magic. It is magic, magnificent, just put everyone.
Speaker 1: The perfect way to wrap it up. I don't know what bracers are hot, even if they're inaccurate.
Speaker 2: My mum is going to listen to this, I mean with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for doing this one too. This was so much fucking fun. Oh it was. Oh my gosh. Do you want to tell my listeners again where to find more? Or I can also just copy what you said in the last episode.
Speaker 2: You can find me on pretty much all social media as Beloved Voices. I am currently contributing to Bad Ancient and Working Classicists. I've got a couple of articles coming out that will probably be linked somewhere on my website, which I'm sure you can provide a link to, because I can't remember what well that you are relis. But yeah, I'm around, I'm everywhere.
Speaker 1: Because it's brilliant. Thank you share those things. Yeah, any working classes and stuff to you.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I mean, I am so proud to work for those two.
Speaker 3: They're wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, Nerds, thank you so much for listening. It was so fun speaking with Alexander about this. Just diving into the representations of gladiators in a fun and silly kind of way is fascinating. The ways that the ancient world is portrayed on screen for good and bad, even when it's rome. Gladiators specifically hold our attention in a way that so much else from the ancient world just like doesn't. Obviously, there's so much to unpack about why that is, but they remain a fascinating topic and one where we actually have a number of really interesting examples to look at when talking about the realm of gladiators. Plus, well, it was really just fun to ramble about all I know about Star Spartacus, because frankly, it's a lot. It's a good show. Rip Andy Whitfield. All right, I'm going to end the episode on a review from one of you amazing listeners. As always, this comes from a user called p fun one in the States. A hidden Gem. So glad I found this gem of a podcast. It's become my obsession as I have recently found Greek mythology fascinating, and Live does a great job sharing these with wit and humor. I must listen. Thank you so very much. I'm going to not comment on how American spell humor, but it just perpetually looks weird. Let's talk about Miss Baby has written and produced by me Live Albert MICHAELA. Smith is the her means to my Olympians. My assistant producer, Laura Smith is now the production assistant and audio engineer. Maybe she needs a mythological names. Select music in this episode was by Luke Chaos. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the Ancient Mediterranean by becoming a patron, where you will get bonus episodes and more. Visit patreon dot com slash Myth's Baby, or click the link in this episode's description. Thank you all. You're the best man. This is fun and nerdy. What a cool job I have. I am Live and I love this shit.