Speaker 1: Oh, well, hello there, this is let's talk about myths baby, and I am that host of yours, she whose voice is.
Speaker 2: Slowly returning to normal.
Speaker 1: I honestly can't tell anymore, but thank all the gods, it's getting slightly better.
Speaker 2: I am live.
Speaker 1: Hi. Well, well, well, well, this is my first script, or the first script that I'm writing since catching COVID for the first time, and that means a few things. Firstly, thank you all for listening to that little Halloween episode that I had to throw together. I featured some of my favorite spooky stories, ones that I hadn't already reaired, with those bonuses that was not planned, like I mentioned in that episode, and this whole plan to do a deep dive into the underworld and all of its variations, like kind of a tour of sorts. I was so excited, but of course COVID caught up to me during my favorite time of the year, just the worst time. Fortunately that I did have a pretty mild case. Just why I'm able to be back with you all today, But I am. I'm noticing it just and I literally haven't even read the first paragraph of the script, so I'm not one hundred percent bear with me on this episode. Please, We're gonna do things in a very specific way to help my poor COVID brain because also, like those with ADHD will know that, in addition to COVID like and brain fog, getting back into work mode after weeks without work when you have ADHD is like a fucking mess. So pairing that with my COVID brain fog and like just a lasting feeling of ick and I am having a fun time. But I am here, and enough of my complaints. Here's where we're at with that Underworld. So I had originally intended to just like extend spooky season for myself because I really wanted to write that episode. But I decided not to do that in the end because well, it's already tough enough to find spooky stories that I haven't covered on the show already. So we're gonna leave that tour of the Underworld for next year. Give Future Live something to be excited about. Here's a great example of my brain fog. I misspelled my own name in that script. We're we're doing great. I also honestly want to do a great job of that Underworld episode, and I'm not in that space right now, So let's make life for future lived just a little bit easier instead. For today's episode, I went looking for something with a really detailed source for me to not only work off of, but read from, just make it a little easier on my cod and ADHD brain, and I found something that ended up like oddly appropriate. So after I picked this story because it's I truly picked it because it just it's featured in two of Avid's herodies. You remember the herodies. Those are the works presumably by OVID, but that's often up for debate, that are written as letters between mythological characters that have been kind.
Speaker 2: Of left behind.
Speaker 1: So I've got, you know, these nice, long detailed sources to work from and read from. So I was ready. You know, it's characters I'd never even heard of. I thought, fun. I pulled out all the sources, the sites, you know, the whole like two sources, and then I read what the stories actually about, and well, like, let's just say it's sufficiently fucked up and also truly bizarrely appropriate for my first post COVID. I don't even want to say post, just still COVID episode. Is that fage enough for you?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: We're doing awesome today, guys. This is episode two thirty six, giving love sick.
Speaker 2: A whole new meaning.
Speaker 1: A Contius in cuidipe A Coontius was a man from Kios modern ka or Atsia, an island just south of the Attic mainland. It's beautiful. It's the first Greek island I ever really visited. But that is not the point. Acontius is the point. And Acontius fell in love with a woman named Kidipe. Some say she was Athenian, others that she was from the island of Naxos. Their love was unconventional, though I suppose not the quite so unconventional for grieg myth, and because of how the sourcing on this story works, we have very little detail about the earliest.
Speaker 2: Days of their romance, if that's what we're gonna call it.
Speaker 1: Beyond its basics, this is a really odd story to retell because it appears in only two main sources. Avid's Herodies, though again it makes up two of the double herodies, which are often like hotly debated in terms of whether or not Abviit actually wrote them. Regardless, these are the sources, and in a very very fragmented poem by Colemicus Colemicus's poem contains some details that Avid's Herodies does not, but it's also ridiculously fragmentary and missing like the plot. So I'm just gonna try to use that to our advantage, along with readings from Avid's Herodies to add more detail, and frankly, we're gonna hope for the best. Honestly, a huge part of this is is readings alongside me narrating it kind of something new, But if I'm honest with you all, I'm really ruggling to function. So this is what is working for us in order to make this episode exist. See a Contius and cudi Bay. They may have been from different islands, but they met on the island of Delos. There kidit Ba was worshiping Artemis, and that is where a Contius fell in love with her. That is, you know, he spotted her from afar, He found her attractive, he decided he was in love. This is after all a Greek myth. A Contius, though, didn't determine to woo kidit Bay traditionally.
Speaker 2: Instead, it seems he just so.
Speaker 1: He found an apple and on it he inscribed an oath. It said something like I swear to marry a Kantius. He was a clever man, if not particularly romantic. See, he took this inscribed apple, which we know is always a big old red flag, and he just like tossed it at Kidiba's feet I guess where she was, presumably kneeling before an altar to Artemis. Kudibe saw the apple, but she thought nothing of it, or at least she didn't take the oath seriously. She went on with her life. Time passed and Kudipe was eventually set to marry another man. But before she could go through with this wedding, she became sick with a horrible fever and the wedding was never able to take place. Now, according to Callimchus, this happened three times. Three times Cutibe was set to marry a man. We assume she wants to She wants to marry this man, but then she becomes sick with a fever and it never is able to happen. And this is when we can hear from Acontius in Avid's heroities. Now, of course, in these letters, Artemis is going to be called Diana by her Roman name, and without any source that suggests otherwise, I think we can safely understand that Acontius hasn't really ever actually spoken to Kudibe. Before you know, he just decided he loves her. He threw an apple at her, and that was enough in his mind to ensure that they are almost certainly engaged, whether she believes it or not. So in his letter to Kidibae, this letter of Avid, he writes, quote, why do your blushes rise before you read? For I suspect, just as in the Temple of Diana, your modest cheeks have reddened. It is wedlock with you that I ask, and the faith you pledged me, not a crime as your destined husband, not as a deceiver.
Speaker 2: Do I love?
Speaker 1: You? May recall the words which the fruit I plucked from the tree and threw to you brought to your chased hands. You will find that in them you promised me what I pray that you maiden, rather than the Goddess. Well, remember, I am still as fearful as ever, but my fear has grown keener than it was. For the flame of my love has waxed without being delayed, and taken on strength. And the passion that was never slight has now grown great fed by long time, and the hope that you had given hope, you had given my ardent heart to put trust in you. You cannot deny that this was so. The Goddess is my witness. She was there and present, as she was marked your words, and seemed, by the shaking of her locks, to have accepted them. A Kantius loves Cudipe desperately, can't she tell?
Speaker 2: Surely?
Speaker 1: She recalls reading some words on an apple, maybe blushing a little because it's truly a bizarre thing to come upon. But that's love, obviously.
Speaker 2: What's that? Cudipe feels a.
Speaker 1: Little deceived by this apple as engagement promise. A Kantius addresses that too, quote, I will give you leave to say you were deceived and by wiles of mine, if only those wiles my love be counted. Cause what was the object of my wiles but the one thing to be united with you? The thing you complain of, has power to join you to me. Neither by nature nor by practice am I so cunning? Believe me made? It is you who make me skillful. It was ingenius love who bound you to me with words. If I indeed have gained aught that I myself drew up in words dictated by him. I made our betrothal bond. Love was the lawyer that taught me knavery. Let Wiles be the name you give my deed, and let me be called crafty, if only the wish to possess what one loves be craft Acontius wants to convince Cutiepe of his love, even if she feels a bit you know, taken advantage of No, no, that's.
Speaker 2: Not what he did. He loves her.
Speaker 1: He merely tricked her into somehow agreeing to marry him, except she didn't know she was agreeing to marry him. But it's still binding, and it's love. It's not his fault either. How could it be the man's fault for such a thing. No, No, it was just the way things have to be. She's too beautiful, he's too in love. There is no getting out of it now. His letter goes on quote, if art will not serve, I shall resort to arms, and you will be seized and borne away in the embrace that longs for you. I am not the one to chide Paris for what he did, nor anyone who to become a husband has been a man. I too, But I say nothing allow that death is fit punishment for this theft of you. It will be less than not to have possessed you, or you should have been less beauty. Would you be wooed by modest means? Tis by your charms.
Speaker 2: I am driven to be bold.
Speaker 1: This is your work, your work, and that of your eyes brighter than the fiery stars, and the cause of my burning love. This is the work of your golden tresses, and that ivory throat in the hands which I pray to have clasped my neck, and your comely features, modest yet not rustic, and feet which fate is his own I think could scarcely equal. If I could praise the rest of your charms, I should be happier.
Speaker 2: Yet I doubt not.
Speaker 1: But the work is like in all its parts, compelled by beauty such as this. It is no cause for marvel if I wished to pledge of your word. That's right, Acantius is saying in this oh so dramatic and not at all horrifying letter, I'm willing to die for you. I'm just like Paris falling for Helen. Nothing I do to get you to fall in love with me is my fault, and death is worth it. All. Oh, and obviously it's your fault. Cute it pay that I'm so in love with you. It's your beauty, your charms, it's your pretty hair and your pretty god everything. This man is not at all horrifying, not at all toxic, math, sculinity, incarnate. No, No, he's in love gemmitt Acontius goes on to plead further with kiddipe. You know in this letter that maybe the first and only time he's actually ever spoken to her, and it's still only in the form of a letter. He goes on to ask why she's allowed to complain about being caught ensnared by him.
Speaker 2: In such a way.
Speaker 1: He compares her to Tahitiany, the Trojan woman who was taken as a spoil of war when Heracles in telemon first sacked Troy, and he compares her to Persaeus, the far more famous spoil of war taken by Achilles. Great examples of romance. Cantius, you are a stand up fellow. He goes on to tell Kidibay that she's allowed to be angry with him, like that's fine, He'll wear her down quote, but bind me not with shackles nor with chains. I shall be kept in bonds by unyielding love for you. When your anger shall have had full course and is sated, well you will say to yourself, how enduring is his love? You will say to yourself, when you have seen me bearing all, he who is a slave, so well, let him be a slave to me. Now unhappy, I am arraigned in my absence, and by cause, though excellent, is lost because no one appears for me. Who then, of course, Acantius goes on to explain how none of this is entirely his fault. No, no, it is not his fault that Kidibe is now beholden to marry him. I mean, sure, he's the one who wrote on an apple and tossed it at her. But it's Artemis who she was worshiping at the time, And therefore it is Artemis who, when could it be read the words on the apple aloud, took them as a sworn oath. Quote this further, however, much that writing of mind was wrong to you, it is.
Speaker 2: Not I alone.
Speaker 1: You must know of whom you have caused to complain. She of Delos was not deserving of betrayal with me. If faith with me, you cannot keep keep faith with the Goddess. She was present and saw when you blushed at being ensnared and stored away your word in a remembering ear. May your omens be groundless. Nothing is more violent than she when she sees what I hope will not be her Godhead wronged. Do you want to make Artemis angry? Is what a Contius is basically saying here, and he goes on, I.
Speaker 2: Mean not to be the bearer of bad news, but you've.
Speaker 1: Already made Artemis angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A Contius goes on to explain to kidipe that she's already broken her oath to you are tomiss by trying to marry other men one or three, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Just the attempt to get.
Speaker 1: Out of her clear and obvious agreement to marry a Contius is enough to curse her. That's why you've been so sick, literally on death's door. Yeah, he tells her in this romantic and lovely letter. It's your fault. You're sick. You've cursed yourself. It is not my fault. And nope, quote cutipey, I fear to tell you the truth, lest I seem to warn you falsely for the sake of my plea.
Speaker 2: Yet tell it. I must.
Speaker 1: This is the reason, believe me, why you are often lying ill on the eve of your marriage. It is the Goddess herself, looking to your good and striving to keep you from a false oath. She wishes you kept whole by the keeping of your faith. This is the reason why as often as you attempt to break your oath she corrects your sin. Cease to invite forth the cruel beau.
Speaker 2: Of the spirited virgin.
Speaker 1: She still may be appeased if only you allow cease.
Speaker 2: I entreat to waste.
Speaker 1: With fevers your tender limbs. Preserve those charms of yours for me to enjoy. Preserve those features that were born to kindle my love, and the gentle blush that rises to grace your snowy cheek. May my enemies and any who would keep you from my arms so fair as I When you are ill, I am alike in torment, whether you wed or whether you are ill.
Speaker 2: Nor can I say which I should wish the less.
Speaker 1: At times I waste with grief at thought that I may be the cause of pain to you, and my wiles the cause of your wounds. May the false swearing of my lady come upon my head. I pray mine be the penalty and she be thus safe.
Speaker 2: That's that's right.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know which is harder for him to watch Cudipay almost marry other men, or her sick with such horrible fever that.
Speaker 2: She may not survive. Which is worse.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they're equal, for sure. He feels so bad. She should really pity him. Definitely, he is hurting. He's so concerned, so worried about Kudipe that really he's just trying to help her. The only solution is to finally marry me, he tells her. That's all there is. You'll be sick forever if you don't. I'm doing you a favor. He's saying, it's for the best. And no, no, I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about you. He goes on, quote tis not a matter of myself. The care I labor with is greater. It is concerned for your life that fills my heart. Why but now, when your life was in doubt, did your frightened parents weep with fear? Whom you keep ignorant of your crime? And why should they be ignorant? You could tell your mother all what you have done, Cutipe needs no blush.
Speaker 2: See you relate in order.
Speaker 1: How you first became known to me while she was herself making sacrifice to the Goddess of the quiver. How at sight of you, if perchance you noticed, I straight stood still with eyes fixed on your charms. And how while I gazed on you, too eagerly, sure mark of love's madness, my cloak slipped from my shoulder and fell. How after then, in some way came the Rolling Apple, with its treacherous words and clever character. And how because they were read in Holy Diana's presence, you were bound by a pledge with the deity to witness, for fear that, after all, she may not know the import of the writing. Repeat now again to her the words once read by you, wed, I pray she will say him to whom the good go odds join you, the one you swore should be. Let be my son in law, whoever he is. Let him be your choice, since he was Diana's choice before. Such will be your mother's word, if only she is a mother. That's right, cute, de Bako. Tell your mother about what happened between us. Tell her and she'll tell you the right thing to do marry me a countius, She'll say. It's obvious she'll love the match.
Speaker 2: You should be.
Speaker 1: Aspiring to marry a man like me, even if you hadn't already sworn to do it. I am aspirational.
Speaker 2: That's how great I am.
Speaker 1: I mean, how perfect I am for you?
Speaker 2: It's obvious. Can't you say it? Okay?
Speaker 1: I know this story is utterly absurd, but I am having a ball. The man is a horror show. He is screaming in cell at the top of his lungs. And do you want to take a guess how it's gonna go. Do you think Cudipe is gonna stand up and continue to say no? Do you think she's gonna be able to just live happily without this toxic man in her life forever? This is a Greek myth, that was a Constius's letter. But what about Cuidipase she doesn't want to marry him. He tricked her and it was weird and nefarious, and his letter was manipulative and gross and toxic as hell. So what does she have to say in reply? Well, let's see quote all fearful, I read what you wrote without so much as a murmur, lest my tongue unwinningly mightwear some divinity, and I believe you would have tried to snare me a second time? Did you not know, as you yourself confess that one pledge from me was enough, I should not have read it at all. But had I been hard with you, the anger of the cruel Goddess might have grown. Though I do everything, Though I offer dutious incense to Diana, she nonetheless favors you more than your do, and as you are eager for me to believe, avenges you with unforgetting anger. Scarce was she toward her own hippolytus. Yet the maiden Goddess had done better to favor the years of a maiden like me, years which I fear she wishes for you for me. Yeah, Kudipe is not happy about this. It's kind of fucked up, she's basically telling him, But she goes on. She talks about how sick she has been, how the doctors haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with her, how she can barely move, She's pale and sickly, and it's just been utterly horrific for so long. She is horrified that someone will find out that he has written to her, let alone that she is replying to him. She's worried about everything now, now that she's been tricked in such a way, How else might he trick her? Will he have her read something else that will tie her to something she doesn't even know about?
Speaker 2: For eternity, She's just living.
Speaker 1: In fear of this man and his deception? Quote is this the reward that falls to my beauty? Proud in your praise? Must I suffer for having pleased? If I had seemed misshapen to you, and would I had, you would have thought ill of my body, and now it would need no help. But I met with praise, and now I grown. Now you two, with your life, are my despair, and my own beauty itself wounds me. She goes on, questioning a contius and what he is capable of. Quote tell me now and deceive me, not in your wonted way? What will you do from hatred? When you harm me? So from love? If you injure one you love, it will be the reason to love your.
Speaker 2: Foe to save me.
Speaker 1: I pray you will to wish my doom. Either you care no longer for the hoped for maid whom with hard heart, you are letting waste away to an unworthy death. Or if in vain you beseech for me the cruel goddess. Why boast yourself to me. You have no favor with her. Choose which case you will. You do not wish to play Kate Diana, you have forgotten me. You have no power with her. It's she who has forgotten you. She goes on to talk about the fateful day, how she had traveled to Delo's for the first time, how she was so moved by the sacred island, taken by its beauty and its divinity, that she was swept up by it all. She talks about how it happened, how he tied her fate to his quote straightway. Setting forth, we greet the deities to whom the isle is, consecrate and offer up the golden incense and the wine.
Speaker 2: And while my mother.
Speaker 1: Stains the altars with votive blood and piles the solemn entrails on the smoking altar flames, my busy nurse conducts me to other temples also, and we stray with wandering step about the holy precincts. And now I walk in the porticos. Now I look with wonder on the gifts of kings, and the statues everywhere. I look with wonder too, on the altar built of countless horns, and the tree that stayed the goddess in her throes, all things else that Delo's holds for memory would not serve nor mood allow to tell of all I looked on there, perhaps thus gazing. I was gazed upon by you, Acantius, and my simple nature seemed an easy prey. I returned to Diana's temple, with its lofty approach of steps, ought any place to be safer than this. When there is thrown before my feet an apple, with this verse that follows ah me now again, I almost made oath to you. Nurse took it up, looked in amaze, and read it through. She said, I read your treacherous verse, O, mighty poet, at mention of the name of Wedlock. I was confused and shamed, and felt the blushes cover all my face and my eyes. I kept upon my bosom, as if fastened there those eyes that were made ministers to your intent. Gudipy is angry. She recalls how horrified she was having read it, how embarrassed to have read such a thing out loud. Why if you were so in love with me, so interested in marrying me, would you choose to force me rather than court me? Why compulsion over romance. I didn't swear any oath, she writes to a conteus. I may have read some words that sounded like an oath, but I did.
Speaker 2: Not swear one.
Speaker 1: But oh, she continues, how sick I am. She speaks of her fever, how ill she is, and how she has been for so long, how she watches her parents cry over her, how they wanted to light her wedding torch but instead have to prepare for her death. She talks about the man that she was meant to marry, how he sits with her, but now he seems to suspect her, how his kindness has changed, he's not the same, and how she has caused it because now that she knows what a Contius did, she can't even look at him the same, and so she has to feel guilty too. Kidipa's letter continues, You a contius said you want to come and see me in my illness, But do you really quote you right for leave to come and see me in my illness? You are far from me, and yet you wrong me. Even from there I marveled. Why your name was a contius? It is because you have the keen point that deals a wound from afar. At any rate, I am not yet well of just such a wound, for I was pierced by your letter a far thrown dart. Yet why should you come to me, surely but a wretched body, you would see the mighty trophy of your skill. I have wasted and fallen away. My color is bloodless, such as I recall to mind, was the hue of that apple of yours. And my face is white, with no rising gleam of mingled red. Such is wont to be the fairness of fresh marble. Such is the color of silver at the banquet table, pale with the chill touch of icy water. Should you see me now, you will declare you have never seen me before, and say, no arts of mine ever sought to weed a maid like that. You will remit me the keeping of my promise, in fear lest I become yours, and will long for a goddess to forget it all. She's basically convinced that he's not even gonna like her when he sees her. Because of how sick he's made her. But fine, she continues, Fine, we've heard from Apollo's oracle. He's made it clear that the only solution to my long illness, the only way for me to survive. Quote, this is what the God says, this his prophet, and this the verses I read. Surely the wish of your heart lacks no support in prophetic verse. Whence this favor to you, unless perhaps you have found some new writing. The reading whereof ensnares even the mighty gods. And since you hold bound the gods, I myself follow their will and gladly yield my vanquished hands in fulfillment of your prayers. With eyes full of shame, held fast on the ground, I have confessed to my mother the pledge my tongue was trapped to give. QTP finishes her letter by asking how much it even matters that she's even written this letter if she has to finish it by saying that she hopes to be united with him soon, there's nothing left to say, and that Listeners is considered a love story. Women have it so good with men like that, just charming the pants off of them. Few oh nerds and stords, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: As always.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, I don't normally rely on quotes like that so much to tell the story. I mean, unless it's you know, I guess Seneca. But these were extenuating circumstances, COVID circumstances that meant that I really, I honestly really struggle to write anything coherent, so thankfully I had Avid to rely on. Plus this story was fucking bananas, so I'm kind of glad I got to read so much of those letters do tell the story well, you really get to experience the wonder, the romance, the healthy relationship. That is a contius and cute it bay it might also have resulted in my most sarcastic episode ever. Surely that was unavoidable, But for really, I also picked the story before reading any of the details, like I said, And then I read that the whole thing was like about her being sick, and I thought, you know, clearly this is the right call. Add the bonus silly detail that I spent about a week of my COVID symptoms wearing a Naxo's hoodie where she's from, and I just think that's truly perfect and frankly I've now talked way too long in my head hurts way too much to continue, so I will leave you with the credits and the hope that I am back to one hundred percent next week.
Speaker 2: But I don't know at this point I having read this. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, on Friday, I have an episode with a fan favorite and all around lovely human Elitie Harper, to talk about the final book in her wolf Deen series, recorded long before I caught the plague. Let's talk about Mith's Baby is written and produced by me Albert MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians, perhaps more colloquially known as my assistant producer. The podcast is hosted and monetized by iHeartMedia. Listen on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Help me continue bringing you the world of Greek mythology and the ancient Mediterranean by becoming a patron, where you'll get bonus episodes and more. Visit patreon dot com slash miss Baby, or click the link in this episode's description. Thank you all, you are the best. I am live and I love this shit. I will love it more when my brain functions again. I kind of rely on it