Speaker 1: Per It's media podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newmart and today we're joined by Brody Henderson, Giannis, Putellis Chester, Floyd Randall, Williams, Mackenzie, elm Quince, Kansie Deschermeier and Logan Dove. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there's a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners, choosing for the state of the Week. This week we're looking at average points per game. You guys have a guest as to who leads us an average points per game.
Speaker 2: Brody Brody number one.
Speaker 1: They're in agreement, that is Brody. The leaders are Randall and Brody, who averaged six point seven points per game. That's followed by Tony Peterson with six point five, Steve Barnello with a six point three, Tyler Jones and Giannis with six point zero, and col with five point five. The average score for all Meat Eater Trivia players is four point one.
Speaker 3: Back in the old day, it's like sixty seven was like a da back in grades.
Speaker 4: Now you can win.
Speaker 1: I feel like it still in the modern days it is.
Speaker 4: I've got feedback from the board game.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Two different people in the last week. They got it for Christmas and then played it since and UH both said that it was hard.
Speaker 1: Well, in a few years we hope to have a kid's version, which would be all multiple choice, and so if if folks felt like that was hard, maybe that would be more.
Speaker 5: Than Were these two people children or should they be insulted by that?
Speaker 3: Is there any chance you never include the flavor text on the card? That's something I heard.
Speaker 1: Too people missing. Honestly, No, it's like that, like triples. It triples the amount of work at some point. So to come up with ten questions is one thing. To come up with ten questions that each have a paragraph of flavor text, that like triples what I need to put into it. So, no, you listen. If you're a consumer, you can choose between having like eight hundred questions with no flavor text or like three hundred questions with flavor text. I think if I was them, I would pick the eight hundred questions at that point you're writing an encyclopedia. That's right much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or Spencer, we played with a family over over Christmas and Ike, my brother, I think on the first one got eight right wow. The next one he almost had a perfect game. He kicked all our butts.
Speaker 1: Okay, let us know. Next time Ike is in town, get him a seat in the trivia room.
Speaker 4: Would he like to come and play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'd play. He's a smart fella. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't have that. I don't know where it came from. Now here's our new segment, which is FAQ's. If you have a question for our crew related to Meat Eater trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the medeater dot com with the subject line FAQ. Here's what Brent Simmons wants to know. I feel like I have a good idea about what most people do at meat Eater, but have no clue what role Brody and Randall have besides playing trivia? Are they in accounting writers, video editors, maintenance guys or something else.
Speaker 3: Listen, this guy needs to pay more attention. I feel like, yeah, Brody, what do you use ahead?
Speaker 4: That's really a frequently asked asked question.
Speaker 1: No, but it.
Speaker 3: Has listened to the Meat Eater podcast.
Speaker 1: So Brody just go ahead and tell folks what you do.
Speaker 4: I'm a writer.
Speaker 3: I write books with Steve, been doing it for a long time.
Speaker 1: I think if you even open up our most recent book, The Catch a Crayfish, Count the Stars, you'll see by Steven Ranella with Brody Henderson.
Speaker 3: On the survival books and this room.
Speaker 1: There you go, Randall, what do you do here at me, Peter? Are you a maintenance guy? No, I'd say counting.
Speaker 5: I'd do the same thing as Brody working on the Fight Me Eaters American history series. It's my primary day job, which plug it. By the time of this release, it should be out there and available for sale. Goes on sale Tuesday, January ninth. Wherever you get your audiobooks, thank you honest and uh yeah, we're hard at work on volume two.
Speaker 1: There you'll go brand too about Mountain Men.
Speaker 6: Is your secondary day job maintenance or this?
Speaker 1: I wish?
Speaker 5: I mean I had, really, you know, I just keep showing up and they tell me different stuff to do, and I.
Speaker 7: Just keep doing it.
Speaker 1: There you go, Brent, Brody and Randall work with Steve on our books and audio projects. We have some housekeeping. It get to In a previous game of trivia, I told Brody that EHD and bluetongue are different diseases, even though people refer to them as the same thing. Brody then asked how they differ, to which I didn't have an answer at the time, but I do now.
Speaker 3: No, you did have an answer. You said it wasn't worth explaining.
Speaker 1: Well. I felt like my answer was, yeah, it's not worthy of correcting somebody. If you're talking to a rancher in eastern Montana and he's like, boy, these deer sure got crushed by blue tongue this year, you wouldn't be like, well, actually, let me explain it to you. Here's a quote from the Institute of Agriculture quote. Blue tongue and EHD are similar viral diseases spread by biting nets, which result in similar clinical signs. Blue tongue typically results in severe disease and death in cheap while cattle have reproductive losses. EHD, on the other hand, affects all ages of deer and is highly infectious and often results in many fatalities. However, EHD and cattle is unusual and the clinical signs are milder than in white tail deer. The Montana FWP adds a bit more clarity, saying that EHD has been reported in whitetails, Muley's big horn, sheep, elk, and pronghorn, and that blue tongue has been reported in all of those species, as well as blacktail deer, sheep, cattle, and goat. So, simply put, EHD is more often associated with wild animals, while blue tongue is more often associated with domestic animals.
Speaker 3: There you go, Brody, thank you very clear.
Speaker 2: So when we have those big die offs that you'll see out east and whatnot, we're everywhere, it's most likely EHD and not blue tongue. Indeed.
Speaker 1: But again, if you were like talking to a Montana rancher, I wouldn't go out of my way to be like, wow, yeah, see here.
Speaker 2: Buddy, especially if you're trying to get permission.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right, Chester, that's a person you want to be sucking up to.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: The Shelby index for today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I shoulday win everything.
Speaker 7: How's it just tend to win everything?
Speaker 4: Demon suckers?
Speaker 1: Question one? The topic is woodsmanship. This first great question comes to his via Tim Brown. Which of these states has the most native species of venomous snakes? Is it Arkansas, Georgia, Nebraska or Arizona? Topic is woodsmanship? Hansi writing his answer for the whole world to see over here. Which of these states has the most native species of venomous snakes? Arkansas, Georgia, Nebraska, Arizona.
Speaker 8: I do feel like I regress to the elementary school days of hiding my test answers when I'm playing trivia.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't trust Chester and Hansei. No, like I'm gonna some folders and put them up at the ninety degree.
Speaker 8: An't you go?
Speaker 1: Which of these state attends the most native species of venomous snakes? Arkansas, Georgia, Nebraska, Arizona. It is everybody ready, Logan shaking his head. No, Randall, are you confident?
Speaker 7: I'm not confident in the slightest Okay, no.
Speaker 1: Brody, I don't have to ask if he's confident. He does not look it right now. Arkansas, Georgia, Nebraska, Arizona is everybody ready, Brody.
Speaker 4: Does the cobra live in any of those states?
Speaker 3: Brody, that's all right, I'll stick with it.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi saying Georgia, Mackenzie saying Georgia, Chester saying Georgia. Brody saying Georgia. The whole room said Georgia. The whole room is wrong. No, the correct answer is Arizona. Damn.
Speaker 6: Come on, you know the descriptor in there kind of gave me a little bit of hesitancy after the fact.
Speaker 1: What changed your mind there, Hansei?
Speaker 6: It seemed like a possibility that Georgia would have a high likelihood of like introduced species being in a like temperate, like relatively.
Speaker 3: Cobras and black mombos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like stuff coming out of aquariums. People were releasing stuff like them taking hold.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Arizona is home to nineteen native species of venomous snakes, which is the most in the United States. That's followed by Texas with fifteen, Alabama with eleven, and California, Georgia, New Mexico, and Oklahoma with ten. Arkansas is home to six and Nebraska is home to four.
Speaker 3: Is Arizona just a bunch of different rattlers.
Speaker 1: I believe it is. It's every variety of rattlesnake exists there.
Speaker 4: Now, if the question didn't have the native descriptor would the answer of change.
Speaker 1: I would imagine you'd see something like a Florida way up up there, or a Texas already has, you know, fifteen native species versus Arizona having nineteen. I would assume that Texas would then surpass them if you added in the non native ones. This question was just about the native species. That is a zero percenter, A rare zero percenter on a multiple choice question.
Speaker 4: I'll want to remember that one though.
Speaker 1: Question two, the topic is cooking. These three words describe the Saint Patrick's Day staple that consists of sausage, potatoes and onion gravy. The topic is cooking. These three words describe the Saint Patrick's Day staple that consists of sausage, potatoes and onion gravy. Randal is confident randal? How much Irish do you have in you? Very little? Okay, very little?
Speaker 5: Much to the surprise of many based on my physiognomy.
Speaker 1: That's a fun word.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never heard that one. Can I get a definition?
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, someone would probably correct me if I give a definition, But I believe it's like it refers to generally the expression of your genes as they appear on your I don't know.
Speaker 1: These three words describe the Saint Patrick's Day staple that consists of sausage, potatoes and onion gravy. Randal and Yanni I don't know the definition either, but I think yours suffice for me. Yanni and Randall are the only ones who look confident. Now, Brody, you were torn on that last one between your answer Georgia and something else. Okay, we're not going to nobody look at Brody.
Speaker 4: Lost lights light on purpose.
Speaker 8: Really, I only keep him on for the light show at the beginning, and even then they don't look very It's funny.
Speaker 5: I've been staring at the light this whole time, trying to figure out whether or not it was a new thing for me.
Speaker 7: I was like, why is this so distracting? Turns out very instincts dead on.
Speaker 1: Everybody have an answer for the three words that describe the Saint Patrick's Day staple that consists of sausage, potatoes and onion gravy. Everybody ready. Yanni is grinning. Yanni, you like your answer. I feel like it's the only dish I know. Mackenzie, I think we're waiting on you. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi saying bangers and mash, McKenzie saying poutin poutin poutine, Chester saying beans and mash, Brody saying bangers and mashers, Logan saying the Holy Trinity, Jannis saying bangers and mash, Randall's saying bangers and mash. The correct answer is bangers and mash. Are we going to give it to Brody who said mashers? I think we would give it to him. Yeah, I think Randy. Is it also British? I remember you're right that it is British now, but the Irish have sort of claimed it is their own.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: I advocated for you getting that answer a couple games.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know, I know, and that's why I'm abstaining rather than saying no.
Speaker 1: So we're going to give Brody the point for saying bangers and mashers.
Speaker 2: You just ordered this the other day, you doun beans.
Speaker 1: You are so close Chester.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The history of this dish dates back I know, but.
Speaker 2: I couldn't think of it.
Speaker 1: I was like something with a B. The history of this dish dates back to World War One, when meat shortages caused Brits to make sausage links that were disproportionately high in water. Because of the excess moisture. The sausages would pop and hiss when cooked, which led them to being called bangers. To learn how to make the perfect sausage for Bangers and Mash, go to the meadeater dot com and check out Justin Townsend's recipe called Venison Irish Breakfast Breakfast Sausage. Question three, the topic is hunting. What is the second most popular objective lens size for binoculars at bass pro shops and shields?
Speaker 4: Why do you have to do second?
Speaker 1: We're not looking for the first most popular. We're looking for the second most popular objective lens size for binoculars at bass pro shops and shiels. Do you think you know first? Mackenzie?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yohanny, you feel good about your answer?
Speaker 4: Yes, y.
Speaker 1: When's the last time you had Bangers and mash?
Speaker 6: Hmmm?
Speaker 4: I don't know, within two years?
Speaker 1: Really? What was the occasion? Oh?
Speaker 4: Just make it at home now, I don't. I don't make a special onion gravy. But if I just cook up sausages and mashed potatoes, then I call it.
Speaker 7: I had bangers and mash on December twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Oh so like a week ag what was the occasion?
Speaker 7: Wrapped to dinner at the Fanning Goat Pub?
Speaker 1: Okay, are they like very specifically Irish they have?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they have some some Irish themed dishes.
Speaker 1: Would you have gotten that right if you didn't just order that a week most certainly? Okay?
Speaker 2: Fainting though?
Speaker 1: Is that in miszula?
Speaker 4: Hey in chat?
Speaker 8: Sorry, really quick, I gotta put on my electrician sat and fix that after this show. But can you and Mackenzie share Mike for the rest of the show?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the second most popular objective lens size? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have HANSI saying ten by sixty, Mackenzie sang ten by fifty, Chester saying twelve by forty two, Brody sang fifty millimeter, Logan sang fifty millimeter, Joannis saying fifty Randall saying fifty millimeter. The correct answer is fifty. The room did very well, Mackenzie will give it to you. Even though you added in the magnification, you got the right objective lens size. At Shields, there are sixty seven binoculars available with an objective lens size of forty two millimeters. That's followed by thirty two available in fifty millimeters, twenty five available in thirty two millimeters, and twenty two available in twenty five millimeters. The objective lens size affects the physical size of the binos and the amount of light they can gather. So you weren't talking about units sold, but what they carry. I would imagine they go hand in hand.
Speaker 4: But yes, which one forecasting team is good?
Speaker 1: That's right? Question for the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via Lyle McCormick. The CCC, which was established by Franklin D. Roosevelt, stands for what. The c c C, which was established by Franklin D. Roosevelt, stands for what The room is looking very confident minus logan Rody Hansei Randall quick to answer, you need to tell us what the c c C stands for, Brody, do you have any binoculars in your gearshed that aren't a forty two or a fifty millimeter byo.
Speaker 3: No, but I'm wanting to get some smaller ones for turkey season, some little guys.
Speaker 1: Because you don't really need sure.
Speaker 3: Great big jumbos for that.
Speaker 1: How about you, Yannie, anything that's not a forty two or.
Speaker 4: A fifty Yeah, I got an eight by twenty five I believe that I used for deer stand hunting and turkey hunting.
Speaker 1: There you go, some of the sizes. I wasn't even where it existed. I know there were thirty two or twenty five's available.
Speaker 3: Remember those little teeny tascos?
Speaker 7: Yeah, just like the straight tube.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I see those, I'm like, I don't know who they're for, like some specific birders.
Speaker 3: Who are They're for people who don't want to spend money on binoculars.
Speaker 4: Dude, for tree stand honey in the Midwest and you can't see past one hundred yards anyways, all you need? Oh, I think I have it wrong, but I can't think of another answer.
Speaker 1: Again. This is question four. We're looking for what the c c SS.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh, another late one from you, honest?
Speaker 1: Which of those seas are you changing, Yanni? All three of them or just one of them.
Speaker 4: I guess I think, I think I only have to change the first.
Speaker 1: One, change all three. That's waiting on you, Yanni. This is a good attempt Randall to distract him. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi saying Civilian Conservation Corps, Mackenzie saying Captains Conservation Club, Chester saying Conservation Coalition Commission. Really good literation. This was great alliteration that should exist. Brody sang Civilian Conservation Corps. Logan saying conservation capitalism. C Jannis sang Civilian Conservation Core. Randall saying Civilian Conservation Corp. The correct answer is the Civilian Conservation Core. The Civilian Conservation Corps was created in nineteen thirty three as a way to help lift America out of the Great Depression. It allowed single men between ages eighteen to twenty five to enlist in work programs that were designed to improve the country's public lands. Enlisters made thirty dollars per month and had meals and lodging provided. Brody, do you think you'd have been part of the CCC if you were a single man between ages eighteen and twenty five?
Speaker 3: I probably needed the work. So yeah, and I'm sure they built a lot of dams and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of things you look at on our federal lands, you could probably have something related to the CCC and a cool.
Speaker 5: Thing that's been blasted into the side of a mountain. They probably had a hand in it.
Speaker 1: And I think of that thirty dollars a month they had to send twenty five back to their family, and it was so they only got like five dollars of that to keep around. Question five. The topic is gear. This synthetic rubber that's resistant to oil, heat, and weathering was invented by DuPont chemists in nineteen thirty one. Topic is a gear. This synthetic rubber that's resistant to oil, heat, and weathering was invented by DuPont chemists in nineteen thirty one. This is question five. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. Randal already has his board down with an answer. Yanni has not picked up his board yet. Randal, you know this one.
Speaker 5: Uh, I feel okay about it. I wrote down my first best guess and now I'm working on my second guess, and then I'll weigh the two.
Speaker 1: This synthetic rubber that's resistant to oil, heat, and weathering was invented by DuPont chemists in nineteen thirty one. Randall is back to his white board. Brody is covering his face with his white board. Janni, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: I have a good guess. Okay, I'm gonna keep working on it. M Randall's keeps writing, Janni.
Speaker 1: We recently did some more kids trivia, which you'll hear later this year. And I think I observed that your daughter, Mabel liked to watch what the other players in the room would do after the answer was read. She wanted to see their confidence and their answer, if they were quick to write down, if they were slow, if they like scratch their head. And I said that your dad does the exact same thing. Did you know you do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd like to sit there and just drink it all in.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because if they sit there and write for ten seconds, then you got a pretty good idea. That's a long answer.
Speaker 1: It's a good hint.
Speaker 4: You know what else she was doing is she said they both were pushing to go squirrel hunting. I was like, what's the big interest in going squirrel hunting. She's like, well, I want to go squirrel hunting. But another thing is that last time we did kids trivia trus or, Spencer asked me what I wanted to what I like to do, and she said that I had said hammicking. She said, that's a stupid answer, made no sense. So this time when he asked me, I'm gonna say I like to go squirrel hunting, and I don't want to make sure they've done it recently so that I'm not fibbing.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, HM love that. So did she goes squirrel hunting? It?
Speaker 4: We did go squirrel hunting. The Henderson family and my family went and we saw my crew saw too. I think Brody's cruise off you more. We only killed one squirrel on our expedition a lot of movement.
Speaker 1: So next time we ask what they like to do in the outdoors, is she still going to say squirrel hunting? Or does this?
Speaker 4: I expect? So okay, if she says hammicking again, she's gonna beat herself up for a while.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the synthetic rubber that's resistant to oil, heat, and weathering that was invented by DuPont Chemists in nineteen thirty one. Mackenzie, I believe me waiting on you go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansey saying vulcanized. Mackenzie sayg neoprene. Chester sang vibrum, Brody saying PVC, Logan saying neoprene, Giannis saying PVC, Randall saying silicone. We have a correct answer in the room. It's neoprene. HANSI got it right, Loan, Logan and Mackenzie got it right. Well done, Logan and Mackenzie. Neoprene was originally used in telephone wires and automobile engines, and was later turned into gloves and shoe soles. It wasn't until the nineteen fifties when the first neoprene wetsuit was created. About a decade later, the modern wet suit was invented when elastic nylon was added to the neoprene phil We're halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: We've got Chester Floyd in last place with zero points. Mackenzie, Logan, and Hansei all have two points apiece and all tied up in first place. Brodie, Giannis and Randall they all have three points.
Speaker 1: Now the PBC answer, I don't blame you boys because I make the meat eat or trivia universe pretty wide. But what did you think that was related to meat eatter trivia? That PVC would be an answer?
Speaker 3: Why does it have to do with anything to do with mediat or trivia? You have questions all the time that I have nothing to do with media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what kind of question is that?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 4: Six?
Speaker 1: The topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via John.
Speaker 3: But I get what you're getting at the makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ambergris, which is a waxy substance that sometimes used to make perfume, is produced by this animal.
Speaker 3: How specific, Spencer.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be specific if you think the answer I think it should be because it's ambergris, which is a waxy substance that sometimes used to make perfume, is produced by this animal. Brody is confident, HANSI you have this one right, Yeah, Randall, you have this one.
Speaker 3: Very much arguing specificity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're throwing me off with that though, So I don't think.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't It wouldn't matter, you know how specific you need to go, Randall.
Speaker 8: Body just wants to separate the wheat from the chat after this.
Speaker 1: Don't need to be that specific. Amber green, which is a waxy substance that sometimes used to make perfume, is produced by this animal. Yanni, you got a chance to observe the room in their writing down of answers. Did that help you any.
Speaker 4: No? I think your question gives some hints.
Speaker 1: I think you should check your pronunciation to m okay, you think the yes should be on there.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, how would you?
Speaker 5: That's one of those words I've never heard spoken, I have only read.
Speaker 1: I think be wrong. I think I'm right here, bro I can check for you. Uh while we do this, maybe uh fill us in with some banter there, Yanni.
Speaker 4: Brody, does this animal live in a place that both of us have fished? Of the same name? What here?
Speaker 1: Google is going to tell us how to pronounce it ambergris? You're right, Brody, I thought it was ambergris. Ambergris which is a waxy substance that sometimes used to make perfume. It is produced by this animal that is spelled a M B E R g R I S.
Speaker 4: Spencer.
Speaker 8: You've had ai like chat GPT come up with, you know, poems and things before. Would you ever have like a like an AI play trivia with us?
Speaker 1: I feel like kind of oh, so we've had somebody write in about this before, and trivia has like a ninety excuse me AI chat GPT specifically gets like ninety five percent of answer correct. The category it struggled with the most was hunting. I believe that was where it had a batting average of like seventy percent. Everything else, cooking, conservation, fishing was nearly one hundred percent. Now Here this says Webster says, you can pronounce it ambergris or ambergris, So there we go. Either way will work? Checkmate? Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. Honey saying whale, Mackenzie saying beaver, Chester saying otter, Brody saying sperm whale, Logan saying whale, Jannis saying turtle, Randall saying whale. The correct answer is sperm whale or just whale. Ambergris, or floating gold, is created when secretions form around squid beaks in the intestines of sperm whales. The Endangered Species Act prohibits people from collecting or selling ambergris because it's considered part of a protected animal. The largest Ambergris ever found weighed two hundred and twenty pounds and was worth about three million dollars.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only thing that threw me off in the phrasing of this question was the present tense, and I was beginning to doubt myself, like if it if it had said like which has historically been used to make perfume.
Speaker 1: So it's it's still used in some but only like the most expensive of perfume they I think it's used in like the preservation prcent, and it's less about the scent itself. It's more about like making it long lasting, so when you spray it on yourself, you're still gonna smell it the next day.
Speaker 3: To answer your question, you're honest. Yes, Yeah, Ambergris k key k or key police.
Speaker 6: Ok.
Speaker 4: They must have been a huge trafficker.
Speaker 1: They were, and that's why, that's why what are you talking about. I'm not familiar and.
Speaker 3: Believe there's an island called Ambergris k or Key however you want to pronounce it. And it was a British, British colonized Belize and Ambergris was a big reason why they were there.
Speaker 1: Finding one of those could change your life if it was legal to keep. Question seven, the topic is biology. Fertility is a synonym for this nine letter word, which is defined as quote an animal's ability to produce a lot of babies. The topic is biology. Brody and Randall already have an answer. Mackenzie is joining them. Fertility is a synonym for this nine letter word, which is defined as an animal's ability to produce a lot of babies.
Speaker 4: Nine baby letter. He feels very proud.
Speaker 1: I don't off that helped anybody, though, who I feel like it's a fair he didn't already know it did? Is?
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 5: And he doesn't slide over it.
Speaker 4: He looks you in the eye.
Speaker 3: You heard me use that word, right, Yeah I did chester.
Speaker 1: Did that help you at all? No, Steve's a lot of words.
Speaker 2: I just cannot think today.
Speaker 3: Efficacy instead of efficiency.
Speaker 1: It's like that. Does everybody have an answer for this question, which is question seven. Fertility is a synonym for this nine letter word, which is defined to ask quote in animal's ability to produce a lot of babies.
Speaker 4: It's not the same thing, too, but I love his pronunciation of bagel in vague in vague. Yeah, we shouldn't be bad.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't be attacking him behind his back.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 4: He also goes out of his way to show.
Speaker 1: To say Teddy Roosevelt instead of Roosevelt, which is I feel like that's fair though that's correct, right, I don't know, I just uh, I noticed that he hammers that one like he wants you to know that he intentionally said it.
Speaker 4: He read somewhere that the family prefers Roosevelt.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer to my question? I've got to count kay.
Speaker 7: Yeaheah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: You have this one right.
Speaker 4: And I knew my first one was wrong.
Speaker 6: I knew it was wrong, but it got me to the second one.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, go go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi saying fecundity, Mackenzie saying fruitful, Chester without an answer, Brody saying fecundity, Logan is saying pro create, and he drew out like hangman little dashes to make sure he hit nine letters, Giannis saying fecundity, Randall saying fecundity. The correct answer is for kundity. Fecundity rates are often tied to correct untal care. So Animals with a high fecundity rate produce a lot of offspring, but put very little energy into raising them. And an example of this is a trout and animals with a low fecundity rate produce few offspring but put a lot of energy into raising them. An example of this is an elephant and some humans. Question eight, the topic is public lands? What is the only National park in organ?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: This is question eight? The topic is public lands. Randal is quick to come up with an answer. What is the only National park in Oregon? We will get a scoreboard update after this. Have you ever been here, doctor Randall?
Speaker 7: I have not? I have not.
Speaker 4: Is it near.
Speaker 7: California and Washington?
Speaker 1: Yes? What is the only National park in Oregon?
Speaker 4: Hansei?
Speaker 1: You have an answer?
Speaker 4: But is it closer to I do?
Speaker 6: But Randall's that that makes me change.
Speaker 1: My thought a little bit?
Speaker 5: Really, what if I had used the Pacific Ocean in Idaho?
Speaker 1: Now he's just flexing his geography muscle. Hansei, do you think you've been to this place?
Speaker 6: If it's what I have written down, I've been there?
Speaker 1: But what is the only National park in Oregon? Oregon feels like a place should that should have like a half dozen NAS's.
Speaker 4: That was just like, it's such a beautiful state.
Speaker 8: It's only got one national national park.
Speaker 1: Gosh, Brody is frustrated.
Speaker 4: Keep talking.
Speaker 1: The hat is low, the hat is He currently looks like, is it a home improvement? What's the neighbor's name, Wilson?
Speaker 7: Wilson.
Speaker 1: He currently is doing the Wilson look over there, Logan, do you have an answer?
Speaker 4: I do, but it's probably not right.
Speaker 3: And you just made me think of a flashbacks to Home Improvement.
Speaker 4: I was watching a lot of Tim Allen stuff over the holidays.
Speaker 7: Really yeah, like what.
Speaker 5: I was thinking of some of his more recent projects.
Speaker 1: Phil, did you like home Improvement?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yoh yeah, we're a big big You need to sound effects like.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask you if you get hit that one more time. Everyone be quiet.
Speaker 4: There's too much pressure.
Speaker 1: Bill went cross eyed when he did that. You had to reach down deep to make that Tim Allen noise.
Speaker 6: The second one was better, by the way to.
Speaker 5: It's like a grunt and a slide.
Speaker 4: Whistle at once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing those is like a cigarette. It takes like eleven minutes off your life. And you try to try to hit.
Speaker 4: One of the when I was nine.
Speaker 1: What is the only or well he did a lot of cocaine I think in the eighties that offset it. So that's as you know. Adds minutes here. Let me mm hm. That's good. Does everybody have an answer? Brody, go ahead, Johanny, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansi saying Smith Rock, Mackenzie saying Crater Lake, Chester saying Sequoia, Brody saying fossils, Logan saying Redwoods, Giannis saying Hell's Canyon, Randall's saying Crater Lake. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Crater Lake National Park. Crater Lake is the deepest lake in the United States, at nearly two thousand feet deep. It lies inside the collapsed remnants of an ancient volcano known as Mount Mazama. Biologists believe there are no native fish to the lake, but it does have COCONet salmon and rainbow trout that were stocked there about one hundred years ago.
Speaker 6: Isn't Crater Lake the one with the giant log that's floating.
Speaker 1: The old man of Crater Lake? Okay posted about that on Instagram before. It's a very old piece of driftwood that stays perfectly buoyant. It's similar to a glacier where you only see like ten percent of it on the surface. It moves around the lake. Scientists tried to study it once before and they chained it up to like an island, and then a huge storm hit. So it was believed that it was bad luck to try to contain the old Man of Crater Lakes, so they just let him drift. After that, there's like some lga on him that's only observed in that spot. Did you guys rehearse this? No? I have aspirations to go to Crater Lake later this year, and I'd love to see the old man.
Speaker 8: I think the island is called like Merlin Island or Wizard Island.
Speaker 4: It's cool name.
Speaker 1: Philly Engineer. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Chester Mackenzie and Logan have been eliminated from the game.
Speaker 4: Logan Mackenzie have three points though that's nice.
Speaker 8: Johannison Hanse have four points, Apiece Brody has five, and in first place is Randall six points.
Speaker 1: Question nine that doination there is hunting.
Speaker 4: Before enthusiasm into your name then he.
Speaker 1: Question nine the topic is hunting. What holiday was the blizzard of nineteen forty that killed eighty five Midwestern duck hunters.
Speaker 8: I feel like I know this.
Speaker 1: What holiday was the blizzard of nineteen forty that killed eighty five Midwestern duck hunters? Brody, you have this one right? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 1: He appears to be the only one with any confidence. What holiday was the blizzard of nineteen forty that killed eighty five Midwestern duck hunters? No?
Speaker 7: Is this a real holiday? Or is this like Arbor Day?
Speaker 1: Why don't you like Arbor Day? You got something against trees?
Speaker 7: I don't know, just.
Speaker 1: Well, didn't We had a tiebreaker once about Arbor Day? We did think it wasn't you were about four months off. We didn't do right to answer her. So Randall is the only person on earth who is taking a stance against Arbor Day. He is anti arbor Day. Don't come after me. This is question nine? What holiday was the blizzard of nineteen forty that killed eighty five Midwestern duck hunters? Is everybody ready? Randall? Has he raised his entire board? Did you change your mind? Or do you just need to write in prettier writing?
Speaker 7: I don't know?
Speaker 1: That was just right? Here we go McKenzie, are you ready, yes, Now, explain what's going on here. Randall has totally raised his board for a second time. Is now is this answer going to be your first answer or is it your third answer.
Speaker 5: It's my first answer, and I don't like it, okay, but I didn't like the other one either.
Speaker 1: Mackenzie just guess I realize I said something. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansei saying Columbus Day, Mackenzie saying President's Day. Chester, you're saying Christmas, Brody's saying Armistice Day. Logan saying Armistice Day. You're honest saying Armistice Randall saying President's Day. The correct answer is Armistice Day or Veterans Day. Prior to nineteen fifty four, it was Armistice Day, but if you said Veterans Day, we would give you credit for that. The blizzard unexpectedly hit the Upper Midwest on the afternoon before Armistice Day, which caused hundreds of duck hunters to get stranded on the water. The storm brought two feet of snow, eighty mile per hour winds in a thirty degree temperature swing. It's estimated the blizzard killed two hundred and ten people, sixty five of which were sailors on Lake Michigan. For more on this story, read my article on the mediater dot com called Armistice Day, The day eighty five duck hunters died. Phil We have one question left. Who is left in the game? Wow?
Speaker 8: We have three players left in the game. Giannis has five points, so you can technically catch up, and then tied up are Randall and Brody with six points.
Speaker 1: Question ten. The topic is fishing. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Adam mcquerie for sending this great question. Adam is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at the meadeater dot com. What fish has a magnolia hybrid that's created when crossing a white species with a black speed The room is stumped. This is our final question. We would need Giannis to get this right, Randall and Brody to get this wrong to go to a three way tiebreaker, or we could just have Brody and Randall get it right. They would go to a tiebreaker. We could have them get it wrong, Yanni, get it wrong, and they would just go to a tiebreaker. A lot of options to go to one of those made jobbies not going to help you out there. What fish has a magnolia hybrid that's created when crossing a white species with a black species? Yanni, how do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 4: I might have to argue correct.
Speaker 3: I think you're headed the right direction.
Speaker 1: You're honest. Okay, make for an exciting finish to the game.
Speaker 4: It would yeah, I wouldn't. Uh, wouldn't be a game of trivia without this.
Speaker 1: What fish has a magnolia a hybrid that's created when crossing a white species with a black species. This is question ten. Randall just came up with an answer. How do you feel about it?
Speaker 5: There's a white species and a black species.
Speaker 7: Okay, don't know about this magnolia business.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you.
Speaker 3: I don't understand. Are you looking for the name of the fish like the hybrid, or are you looking.
Speaker 1: For I'm telling you the hybrid is a magnolia. This would be like if you cross a white lab with a black lab, you would get a magnolia lab and the answer would be lab lab would be the correct answer. There oh, Mackenzie is throwing gear across the room.
Speaker 5: Tensions are high.
Speaker 1: She really wants to see this three way tiebreaker come to fruition that what fish has a magnolia hybrid that's created when crossing a white species with a black species. Brody is hitting that Wilson pose again. Has come up with an answer. Quite yet, we are waiting on him. Now you haven't answers. Everybody else ready, Let's go go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Hansey saying what's that say Hanse, Roy Mackenzie saying carp Chester saying Marlon, Brody saying bass, Logan saying coyfish, Giannis saying goldfish. Randall's saying crappy. We have a correct answer in the room. No, it's croppy. Randa got it right, Well done, Randall. With seven correct answers, he gets the victory. A magnolia crappy is created when crossing a female white crappy with a male black croppy. This sterile hybrid was created by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks in the nineteen nineties. They wanted to have a panfish that could be stocked in small lake and wouldn't be a threat to take them over. Now, Brody was writing down bass because the species at large is a black bass, but there are white bass that are also a species, and he was ready to argue that one of them is a species, one of them is what probably a class or something like that. Is that what you were going to go for.
Speaker 3: That black bass aren't bass?
Speaker 1: But the correct answer was crappy.
Speaker 4: So Randall's are now down in Tennessee in a small region they call crappie goldfish.
Speaker 1: There you go, that's a good one, swimming gold Randall. You get to choose thet's. Well, Okay, even if you get that right, Yanni, it doesn't matter because Randall also got it right. He got seven, you got six.
Speaker 4: Oh, we had one more question.
Speaker 1: This was question ten, Randal, where is the five hundred dollars donation for me deater going to go?
Speaker 7: Let's give it to the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance.
Speaker 1: If we haven't done them in quite a while? Like about them?
Speaker 5: Well, goats are cool animals and they you know, they sponsor a lot of citizens science field work and then also support a lot of research.
Speaker 1: And that you've been part of. Right, you've went and downe this goat count.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you know, thinking ahead to applications and fall of twenty twenty four, I'd really like to have a goat tag in my pocket.
Speaker 7: So just the again, it's all about me.
Speaker 5: I wasn't planning that, but now it requires some introspection. But I been thinking about goats a lot lately.
Speaker 1: Well done, Randalls, hoping for a tiebreaker there, we were primed to have one, Brody couldn't do it. Join us next time for more Meat Eat or Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins,