Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is Steen j n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite people. He don't even know it.
Speaker 4: Though, James Samuel Guts piece to the guts.
Speaker 2: Peace, black Man, How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, King, I'm good. I'm good. I'm good. It's about time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Absolutely happy to have you. Man.
Speaker 5: You got a new movie y'all called The Book of Clans. But before we get to the Book of Clans, we just got to talk about you, you know, James Samuel. You know y'all, I'm sure y'all seen The Heart of Day Fall. That was your first film, right, Yeah, that's the day film. Okay, Yeah, So give us a little backstory. What's the James Samuel origin?
Speaker 2: Man? You know, how'd you become this superhero?
Speaker 1: You know it's you know how superheroes are. We were born supheros, you know what, black We didn't fall into know we were born it. But I was just a guy. There was always instruments in the house. There was always I always had cameras, and I was always doing two things, right, so it's not really what made me like fall into film for music can fall into music from film. It's really what made me not stop being me. The older you get, the more I always say, you're taught to level down right as a kid, disguise the limit rights as an elder, don't count your chickens before they hatch. So you just have to kind of work out a way to hold on to yourself, never to never grow up, and continue doing the things that just make you you. So I continue doing music to the point where I was working with j Electronica and tory A Muss and all of these people, and I continue doing doing film, and I was just doing both of them myself, funding whatever I can. Then I made a short film in twenty twelve called They Die by Dawn. It was a Western. It was like a proof of concept for the Hardiday Four, starring Erica Badou, Rosario, Drson, Gen Carlo Esposito, Michael K. Williams, Harry Lennox, Nate Parker. Based I was just going to people's house and I can't I put them in it, and I did all the music for it. Then me and J did the music for me, and jay Z did the music for The Great Gatsby, and from there I just pivoted into into The Harder Day four. You know, a Hardiday took like fifteen years to make right and everyone telling you it's never gonna happen. It's too big. You can't do that for your first movie. Your first movie should be like one million or two million. There was a guy called Andrea Evelino. He said to me, he said, James, do you know this? This movie is too It's too big. He's telling it's too big, it's too big. Take five million. Do something small, and if that's successful, I give you more. And that's you know when I Hope says, I drove by the fork in the road and went straight. I looked at this guy, Should I take that five mil? Nah?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: My first movie is The Hardiday four. I have to tell people that one in four cowboys was black. The name cowboy came from us. They call us cowboys. White people were called cow hands. I just had a mission with that movie, and I just I never took it and I went straight and I made the Holiday Fall literally a couple of years. A couple of years later, I made a Holiday Fall for nineteen million dollar budget right, a ninety million dollar budget my debut movie. So you know I'm physical. I'm the physical, physical personification of the fact that you can fly like it's it's in us. And when you're when you're on a mission, when you have something to say, people are always going to tell you not to say it, you know what I mean. They're always going to tell you not to say it or come out with reasons why you shouldn't say it. But you have to say it. Man, you have to stand by your guns. You're an artist. You have something to say, you have to you know, you have to keep keep keep the fight alive. And also where gods? You know what I mean with gods? Man, I watched I watched Django and just a good movie called Niggas one hundred and one hundred and ten times in a two hour space. We ain't niggas. Man, with gods, you should address us as such. So for me, it was just it was just that's probably the origin the origin, or.
Speaker 4: Hold on before you do that.
Speaker 3: How did you know so many people open their arms to you because you mentioned j Electronica, Michael K.
Speaker 4: Williams, Erica, baddu jay Z. How did so many people open up their arms. You'd be like, come on, brother, let's do this together. Or how was that?
Speaker 1: You know before Mike Tyson beat the brakes.
Speaker 4: Off, which one he'd be a break?
Speaker 1: Frank Bruno in England. I'm English, so that one was like we still wanted to Tyson to win, though, because you know it's Tyson, he said, I think on Larry King, I laugh, forgive me for being so vain, but I'm the best at what I do. Envy, I laugh, forgive me for being so vain and the best of what I do. I'm literally a once in a lifetime comment like no one does. I compose the score. I write and produce every single song on the soundtrack unless someone's rapping, I write and produce every single song on the soundtrack. And also I believe that great artists want to make great art. So when I sit in front of you and I tell you, look, we have never had a movie like this before ever, like the Book of Clarence in one hundred and thirty six years of the moving image, two black people who have never been on screen and gone, there's Jesus. We've never had a movie like that before. So when I sit in front of you and explain to you my intention and the reason why I want to make what I make, and I have to make what I make. I'm kind of fortunate and that I'm able to explain it and that the person I'm talking to is able to hold onto it, and then we just go forward and and create history.
Speaker 2: What was your first love with the music of film?
Speaker 1: It was both of them. I think Charlemagne as a kid. Well, as a kid, you know, we're black, right, so music is just all around us all the time. So I don't even know if that's that's a good question. I don't even know if that's a that's a that was the first love. That's almost like we're organ it's us, thank you, that's the that's what we're born into, right, Like you're from where you're from, South Carolina, right, So you're born into especially South Carolina, you're born into into music. You didn't have a choice to become DJ ANDV. It's not like you could DJ and V was DJVW as long as we've been listening to New York mixtapes and okay, we're just born into music. But we were fed film and as a kid, I was just addicted to addicted to the screens. I think I was always playing instruments because the instruments around I was just addicted to the screen. I had to you know, I had to make whatever it was. I had to make, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I think another thing that we're born into, which probably why we do end up having such a love for music and film, is Black people love storytelling. Yes, any way we can tell our story. We tend to gravitate towards what's the best vehicle to tell our story.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, like we love we love storytelling. And I think because we've had so much taken away from us, Charlemagne, We've had so much, we have so much barriers put in front of us, like we could do this, but we can't. We can't do that, So we like to We like to dream. But then there's people like us that that show that they're not actually dreams. You know. I was saying that, I believe, like, uh, a few hundred years ago, someone changed the word plans, aims, and intentions into dreams. And the moment we embrace that word dream, we embrace the word failure. That's my dream car, my dream house, my dream job, my dream show, me a dreamer. I'll show you a person who who's going to fail. You don't. You can't chase the dream. You're sleeping when you have them. But these aims, these plans, these intentions, we're awake when we have them, right, We're awake. Man. I want to I want to be the number one I'm speaking to best selling author. I remember, I remember, uh uh. Back in the day, you'll be watching The Breakfast Club before podcasts as your best TV show, and you're like, isn't this a radio show? But you'll be watching it every Day's a TV show. Right. All of the all of the things you all of the grounds you you you travel, and all of the barriers you break, none of them are dreams. Their aims, they plans, their intentions. All of these things are real. But you know, being black, we're constantly told we can't have them, we can't attain them, and we can't do the Me and Hope speak about this all the time. And for that reason, I have to tell the type of stories that we love. For that reason we love storytelling and doubling down on it. I have to tell the type of stories that I want to tell. I want to take us to places that we've never been. I took you to the Old West, I take you to the New Testament.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about the Book of Clarence. This comes out this week, the twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now with this movie, did you have any reservations because you know, people.
Speaker 3: Are so when you talk about religious movies or biblical times or that people are so animated. So have so many questions and will complain to I don't even know what, especially with this movie.
Speaker 4: Blasphem me, blasphemy.
Speaker 1: The teaser sixty second teaser. We drop a sixty second teaser and everyone says blastphe me envy Matthew twenty four to five. Jesus' exact words are many shall come in my name saying I am the Christ, and they shall deceive many. The Bible itself speaks of Simon the Sorcerer who was trying to pay his way into the apostles. The Bible itself speaks of Simon the Sorcerer. In Jesus's lifetime, and it's thirty three years of being on the planet, there was two to three hundred people come in and saying that they're the Messiah. You only have to do a Google check. Now, I knew people would be saying that when they look at the teaser. We released a longer trailer and it was less right. But now when you say blasphemy, you have to stand on it. I want to know why you're saying blasphemy? Is it because you're seeing people of color? And if I'm speaking to a person of color, I'm gonna ask a deep question when you look at the trailer for because you haven't seen a movie, When you look at the trailer for the Book of Clarence and you're yelling blasphemy, One, do you actually read the book you profess to know so much about. Two? And listen to all black people that yelling yelling blasphemy? Are you saying blasphemy because you see yourself in that place and time, Because I'm showing people in that place and time as the same color as you. We are so trained to dismiss anything we see as as either blasphemy or in this day and ages, the Illuminati. I always tell people, Charlotte, it's a crazy thing, right. You never hear two white people go Spilberg and George Lucas are the Illuminati. You know, the black people go, Jay z Rihanna and really like, really, this is that what we're doing as soon as we accomplished, as soon as we accomplished something. So for me, I'm like, I never had any reservations at all. I don't create art with in fear. I never had any reservations at all. And the fact that people are yelling blasphem me is exactly why I to tell this story answers about and every man. It's about you and I, right, who believes he can do anything right? But in this, in this belief, he finds himself, you know, in trouble with a with a with a village terror, and he ends up on a road of self discovery and ultimately redemption and faith. It's a beautiful it's a beautiful story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't think it downplays faith at all. I think it examined the motivation behind our faith.
Speaker 1: Thank you, brother, thank you. That's exactly exactly what it does. Like if we were born, if we were born, if we came came about today, I have a nine year old son. Let me sit this guy down and try and tell him, explain to him about you know, the virgin birth and and and all of this stuff. He would look at me with disbelief. At first, you have to convince kids that Santa Claus exists. You have to tell him that from when their baby. You can't start from when they're ten, right, So and it's you know, another interesting is when you have all of these people that yell blasphemy. I like to say, like Jesus had twelve apostles, he didn't have seven billion. Where were all you guys when Jesus was right? Jesus had twelve apostles and probably the sixty or seventy people or a couple of hundred people he was preaching to when he was doing the sermons on the mount. But they arrested Jesus, right, and then the Romans. The Romans arrested him and the Romans killed him, right, they crucified him. Where were all these choruses of supporters? If Jesus came around today, people would be yelling blasphemy. He'd be arrested and crucified all over it, all over again. So before you yell blasphemy, just dig in research. Don't condemn something before you before you've seen it. But I don't even mind that you do that. Because the Book of.
Speaker 5: Clarence is a classic it's a fantastic movie and it's gonna be a discussion piece, regardless what you just said about Matthew twenty four or five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the debate me and my wife was having this weekend.
Speaker 5: And out of the debate, we were actually having this this morning, like who exactly was Jesus in the film?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And maybe this is just me being white.
Speaker 4: Your face looked like that.
Speaker 5: He doesn't look like you want to tell me this morning, But maybe I'm just being a little fake.
Speaker 1: Deep.
Speaker 5: What I took from it was everybody's God. We should recognize everybody is God. But the most important thing is recognizing God and.
Speaker 1: Yourself, recognizing God in yourself. Charlemagne, like all of us, have that walkme war moment. Even though Jesus is in the film, right and he's clear, and he's in the filming and I may I go through.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's as clear as you thought it was, because me and him was arguing this morning about my.
Speaker 2: Wife got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, see, so it was a super clear, but Charlemagne's wife got it. Here's the thing. And you know, Vy loves an argument, loves the debate, actually so, but there is a God in yourself, and that's super important. Man, Like when we see each other's peace to the God, it's peace to the God. Like there's a God in yourself, and that's like the most important thing. Because not everyone that's going to watch this film is a Christian. Not everyone's going to watch it, you know, like when people champion there their religions. But I find everyone to be a disbeliever of some sort. If I'm speaking to a Christian, Okay, so you disbelieve in all the other religions on the planet. You just you just believe in yours, right, But whatever your belief is, God is inside you. Right, whatever your belief is, even if you have no faith, God is inside you. And I want people to take take that away from this this movie. So what you took away from it for me is a beautiful is a beautiful thing? Is job well done? Because you know it's a first movie of it's kind in one hundred and thirty six years of the moving image. Right, it's a it's a really beautiful thing. And you know me, Charlemagne, like I'm always excited about what I do. Filmmakers are are almost like it's politically incorrect to say my movie's wicked. Like Christopher Nolan. You watch christa Nolan interview, you'll sleep by the end of it. Amazing, But the interviews are whereas I'm not that guy. The Book of Clarence is an amazing film. We've never seen anything like it. It's easy to critique something when it's done, but watch it first and celebrate cinema.
Speaker 4: Amazing film.
Speaker 3: And I know people will have reservations at first because it is a biblical movie. I mean even myself I had when I first and I'm like, oh, here we go.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't excited until I've seen it. And when I seen it, I was super duper excited. I was kind of mad that I was seeing it on my phone and laptop at first. So I want to see it this Friday when it comes to the theaters. The Keith Stanfield perfect acting for the Potfects. It was to what made you find him and what made you say he's the perfect person?
Speaker 2: He played that.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anybody that could have played better.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Envy. Here's what happened. Right I wrote Clarence, I had no idea I can cast it and I was casting for the Harder Day four and the Keith came on the phone and I was in Mexico. And during the call, he got a call from his cousin and he got worried, you're taken aback. So you know he's speaking to a director and he's in a particular mode. Then he's like, Yo, it's my cousin. Man, I got I gotta, I gotta go take this call. Somebody probably got shot. And I heard he ran through all of these He ran through like a soliloquy of of happenings, things that happen. Put down the phone, and when you put on the phone, I called my I called my sister, Tanya. Tanya, I found Clarence. It's like what I found Clarence, Tania. This guy has got every single emotion that Clarence has. Because Clarence, we don't want to talk about the ending. But Clarence goes through every single emotion that you possibly can that that you possibly can go through in that environment, and he just possesses everything. Then he came to set to play to play Cherokee Bill in the Hartiday four. I was like, this is it. It's him. So on the last day when we rapped, hugged him, don't go too far. I'm coming back. It's something else. And as soon as we finished with a Holtiday four, I went straight back. I went straight into the book. If he didn't want to do the film, I would have shot something else. Wow, it was him. It was him. And I think I'm really dope at finding actors and and you know, like you know, working with people at that like Dion Cole in The Hardaday Fall. I gave the grill and people have never seen Dean Cole and they said, you cast the old spice guy. I'm from London, I've never seen. I just noted, this guy is perfect for this role. And the Keith Man, he's.
Speaker 4: Just killed it. Man, he kills it, he kills it.
Speaker 1: It's a real uh toward the force of a performance, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You know, Clarence said at one point in the movie knowledge is stronger than belief, and it made me want to cut that distinction of knowledge and belief. Did that influence his pursuit of the truth?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely. You know, the first time he says it, he says it to the apostles, because you know how we are Charlemagne that we grew up and our friends are religious at first, and before we had adopted any faith, whether it's Christianity, Muslim five percent, whatever we adopt. At first, we're looking at our friends, were questioning them, like someone will be telling me don't drink alcohol while they're smoking a cigarette. Right, man, you believe in God. If you knew there was a god, you would not don't be telling me that cigarettes aren't hara am if you knew there was good. Like knowledge is stronger than than then belief is Clarence is whole, It's whole ethos And you know that's a that's a motif that've that I've thought throughout my life. I remember again Mike Tyson fighting Michael Spinks in that ninety one second massacre. The crazy thing wasn't the massacre in ninety one seconds. It was what Tyson done when when he walked back to his corner, he just turns around and puts up his hands like he knew he was gonna win Michael Spink's belief he could win, Like knowledge is stronger than than belief. What happens is we have we embark on faith, right, and we have belief in something, and then something happens in our lives and it turns that belief into knowledge, Like now I know God exists because you can't explain this stuff that happened. You can't explain the majesty of what we've just been through. You can't explain how I just hold three shots close range. You can't explain how I got out of this. I know God exists. Right, So it goes from knowledge to belief. And the beautiful thing is that's our journey with Clarence. Right, he doesn't have any belief, and we watch him acquired and knowledge. Right, we watch them Ghana Ghana faith. I think it's a really important film.
Speaker 5: Also, I gotta ask you something else, but you made me think about something. Why are you so inspired by Brooklyn people? You reference my tyson a lot. We know the relationship with Oh why.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm not. I'll say this, i'ven't even thought of that before. I'm inspired by by humans. I don't necessarily regard myself as as as I'm English, but I was born in English. But the whole planet is mine, you know what I mean? Like I am Africa, I am America, I am the whole planet is mine. Someone talks about the solar system and how irrelevant we are in the solar sitsm I'm like, you're joking when you tell me about the solar system. I'm like, look at my galaxy, like I don't know how much time we go. Okay, subpeat this me. This is for everyone listening. What I'm about to say is a heavy thing scientists. I was watching something the other day. A scientist was talking about, you know, it takes three hundred and sixty five days for the Earth to volve around the Sun, and the Sun a certain amount of light years to revolve around the black hole, and the Sun's only like two years old that in that regard, and it was speaking about the ever expansive Solar system, the ever expansive Solar system, the ever expansive Solar system. Peak this, they said, it shows how relevant we are, right we think, you know, we're the center of the universe, going to our mundane jobs and our thing and worrying about our mundane problems, and when you think of it, ever expanding Solar system, this is all relevant. I looked at that, like, I can prove to you right now why you're wrong. My brother because you are the same scientist that tells me there's no life after this. There's no hereafter, okay, Envy Charlomagne. If there is no hereafter, that means for everything you said about the ever expansive Solar system, it all stops right now. If I die, everything you said is irrelevant. If I die, therefore the center of the solar system. It's to every single living organism. If you are alive, and you are living organism, you are the center of a solar system because it doesn't exist without you being like, the solar system can't exist without me being alive for it to do so, right, we are the center. And I honestly believe, like I always say every morning when I open my eyes, God says action, if you see life like that, you'll see yourself as much more than people continuously tell you you are. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So it makes me wonder, right when you talk about Clarence, Clarence saw Jesus early on in the movie, and Clarence said, I want I want that now. Yeah, But what was that was? Did that the attention was? Did that the knowledge of self?
Speaker 1: The truth? Like?
Speaker 4: What was.
Speaker 1: The cloud Clarence sees Jesus coming up with the twelve apostles, protected people in the street climbing around him. This, and Clarence saw all the materialistic stuff which a lot of these preachers around today see a lot of a lot of preachers today see the Bible as opportunity, right as opportunity, a mass, humongous amounts of wealth. So Clarence is in is in the town square with his best friend Elijah. He's walking. He sees Jesus coming in and everyone climbering around him, and he's like, look and they protected. No one messes with them, no one messes with him. And Elijah's like, I want to be like that in ten years. I want that kind of presence that clars like, I want.
Speaker 4: That now right now.
Speaker 1: So at first he wanted all of the wrong things, all of the wrong things, and he ventures down.
Speaker 5: This road and figure it out, and that's when it becomes like the Mexican belly to me. Remember exactly, okay, exactly, he.
Speaker 1: Was told to kill, to kill, But on that journey of self discovery and redemption, you know, and that happens to all of us. We can't tell the story like this, and we be so dare I say ignorant as to holler blasphemy as soon as you see a tale. What should we just tell stories of Jesus Jesus life? You know what I mean? Like we have to we have to firstly, I believe that we belong in those days, right, but we also have to be able to to look at the three hundred and sixty degree element of Okay, here's here's Jesus. But what was all of the things around it, especially in that day and time? Like why is it? Why is it? We've never seen ourselves in that day in time, in a in a ever in the history of the moving image.
Speaker 3: I gotta ask a question. You might not want to answer me. You might want to tell me off screen the homeless person.
Speaker 1: Don't give away any spoilers.
Speaker 4: Though you did prove me wrong.
Speaker 2: I was wrong.
Speaker 1: He did prove me wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you're wrong.
Speaker 5: But Keith shouldn't win an Oscar for this, or at least be nominated Armagne.
Speaker 2: He don't just play Clarence. He plays.
Speaker 1: And Thomas in the Bible was a twin. Here's the thing that is, because you know it's interesting, Like people don't read the Bible that much they speak about Thomas was a twin wright his name Didamus meant twin, so they were calling him twin all the time, but no one ever speaks about whether he had a twin brother or the Bible doesn't speak abou whether you have a twin brother or twin sister. Right, he's just just a twin. So we didn't even we know him his doubts and Thomas, we didn't even know he was a twin. He's actually a twin. So the so the Book of Clarence is like my depiction of Thomas's twin brother.
Speaker 2: Did he did you have him?
Speaker 5: Played Thomas to highlight the polarities within ourselves, yeah, my brother, Okay, exactly.
Speaker 1: Right, and the conflicts that we have within our within our within ourselves, and also you know, just being growing up the way we all grew up, right, Like we weren't with Charlemagne in South Carolina, but we were with you and we're watching you for years, right, so so we all grew up the same and we have these internal conflicts and internal struggles all the time between doing right and doing good and also what is actually right and what is what should I stand and fight or shall I walk? Away from this one. Right, So so Thomas shows shows that polarity. But I'm glad you said, like Lakeith, what you said about la Keith's performance, because it's amazing.
Speaker 4: It was incredible, hands down.
Speaker 3: It made me believe every aspect of every character he played, whether it was his brother, whether it was him at the or whether it's him, whether he was facing, whether it's trials and tribulations, the love scene. It made me believe to the point where you ever see a movie and but like, there's no other person that could have played that part.
Speaker 4: That's what I felt like with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know me and keep you had all little petty issues back and forth in this game, right, but it's just like he it's serious enough but also comedic enough.
Speaker 2: To pull off what you did absolutely in this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if that makes sense, exactly, Like he has all of the all of the oh I'm looking at looking more smooth. I'm like, let me just touch my face, and was looking too smooth over there. I don't even look off camera. Everybody said, I know she don't have no lights, dudes.
Speaker 4: I said, no Lightskin Brothers showing me goes. That's why I loved it.
Speaker 3: There was no light skin Brothers and Biblical.
Speaker 1: Times they came later.
Speaker 2: My wife had a question.
Speaker 5: She she was like, what was the logic behind having Mary Magdalene at the Last Supper but then covering her up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was, you know, like, I just think I wanted to. I wanted to have a Last Supper that depicted Mary Magdalene because Mary Magdalene was around Jesus lot and Jesus was the one person that knew. He was the only person that knew that that was the last Supper. So I just thought, well, Jesus may have Mary. Jesus may have Mary there, right, you know he might not, but he may have Mary.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: Also, I think that last Supper scene for me is really important because usually when they showed Judas, they never ever give gradients to Judas. Judas is just known as a man that betrayed Jesus. But Judas was chosen to be one of the apostles. We wouldn't have been Well maybe it would have, but I don't think I would have made it into the apostle apostle game the fact that Judas was there. Judas was probably a good guy that had done one bad thing. It's not like he he had a history of evil, right, so I wanted to I wanted to show his his uh possible reasons for doing what he because I always say you shouldn't judge people based off what they do when they're in survival mode exactly.
Speaker 5: But what about when you do something and this is Judas, it's Judas Wow.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to show like why he was doing it. He says in the film, we're revolutionaries, we're not pacifists. While we fighting. Just show his frustrations, played excellently by Michael Ward from Tomboy. And also, you know, just to have these English actors with these American actors and it's just an amazing thing. Man.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask, you know, I asked earlier, where did you shoot that? Because when I watch movies now, I watch it from a different lens. Right, I watch it for the movie lens, but I also watch everything around it, right, and I'm looking at how real it looks and the time it must take been set directing Where did you shoot that?
Speaker 1: I shot in a material in Italy. It's like the fourth oldest inhabited city in the world, right, it's thousands of years old. The caves are still there from when they were living in caves, and you could do it aerial three sixty and still be an ancient Jerusalem. Mel Gibson shot Passion of the Christ there and No Time to Die, the last James Bond movie. The opening was shot there. But the city is so amazing. I just knew that if I have black people ascend on this town, it's just gonna look like something we've never seen before.
Speaker 3: Do you ever have to take something out of a movie because your mind goes too far?
Speaker 4: Like do we have to say, James, when I can't do that?
Speaker 3: I mean just from the horse racing too, everything that you had in Netflick, from caves and all that, this is that one thing.
Speaker 4: They'd be like, James, we just can't do that.
Speaker 1: No, I mean not in this movie with the Heart of day Fall. It was a couple couple of times where people were like, Okay, James, you can't do this, So you can can't do that. But I never I never take it out, no way, Okay. In the beginning of the Holiday four, they have a shootout in the canyon right with a Crimson hood gang. They're all in pink hoods and the guy kills a horse. Bang. They're like, you can't kill a fake horse. James. You know, can't kill a fake horse. It's a fake horse. Not but James, you can't do that. With all the movies I've seen with horses get mrked. They said no, I said, really, but Tarantino could decapitate black people's I'm just saying, like with the N word over a hundred times in one movie, you get upset when I kill a fake horse. That fake horse is going to get merked twice, and I'm leaving it and I'm leaving in there, or then stop them from doing that because I'm more offended I'm being called the N word a billion times then a fake horse. No horses were harmed during a holiday four. So there is and I in this. So there is things that sometimes you kind of bump up, bump up against. As a creator, I create from a from a good place. And also I think my track record shows that the art that I give the world they're not getting from anyone else. So therefore, man, you're welcome, Just enjoy your majestic and oheens supreme. Let me do me there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I got a bunch more questions but I don't want to give away.
Speaker 3: That's the problem, like so many questions you have, that's why we have to do this again.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I would say based on just subject matter.
Speaker 5: Because you did mention Passion of the Christ, how would you say the Book of Clarence differs from the Passion of the Christ.
Speaker 1: Well, the Passion of Christ is the story of Jesus right of his last days. The Book of Clarence isn't the story of Jesus at all, is it not? Though that's what we wonder, is it not? Is I like that you said it because you've seen it. You've seen it, so it's probably the sory of the God in us right. But what I wanted to do with the Book of Clarence was making a movie that resembled the environment that I grew up in. You know, growing up I watched Ben Herd, The Tank, Commandments, Crow Vartist, Samson, and Delilah the Rogue, the greatest story ever told. But I never know no one that looks like yul Brynner as the Pharaoh in Egypt. I never know no one that looks like Charlton Heston. Charlton Heston had a brutal kind of good looking, dudebut brutal kind of face. When he says, get your paws off me, you damn dirty ape. You can see the apes be like, Wow, you're being really racist. We were just capturing you. You're actually taking it to new levels. I never related to what they were showing me, even though we were familiar with some of the stories, and never related to the depiction of those stories or those people in those in those stories. I wanted to shoot to tell a story of the environment that I grew up, grew up in. Charlemagne's name is Charlemagne the God. It's from the hood and South Carolina, like we grew up with with gods like peace, Peace to the God, Peace to the God. That's how we grow I wanted to I wanted to tell that story, but transpose it two thousand years prior to show how little times have changed and how much in common we have with that with that era. So it's really the story. The Book of Clarence is really the story of an everyman right and every man who finds faith finds redemption, whereas the Passion of Christ is a story of Jesus per ses like page is taken from the from the Bible. These are more like you.
Speaker 5: Always could be, you always could be the real story, because it's like we all know Jesus was black, right, and they would never tell us if he really was. We know how to colonize it works, So how do we know the Book of claris is it the actual story of Jesus?
Speaker 2: When people saw that story and said no, no, no, this is gonna be the image.
Speaker 1: Of it, though, just for every run at home, Charlemagne said that I didn't. I'm like the record, No, Charlotta Mayne, You're absolutely wrong.
Speaker 2: But but I mean, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know those ones. If the celluloid chow fits the Book of Clarence is it's I mean it's a it's a layered film.
Speaker 4: And you score everything yourself, say you score everything yourself.
Speaker 1: I do the entire score. I composed the entire score myself. That yeah. I write and produce every single song in the soundtrack. And I write, produce, and perform. Unlike the Holiday four, where I did a slew of various artists, this one I perform every song, but with various artists. But the soundtrack is amazing. The Holtiday Fall soundtrack won every award that wasn't racist, and and and I think the BET Awards just got amnesia, Like you didn't even nominate the Holiday four for nothing. Okay, I don't make I don't make art for hardware. But the Booker Clarence soundtrack, which released Friday same day as a movie, is the hardest soundtrack on the planet. It's like myself of Deanel. I got D'Angelo and jay Z on the same track. How did that happen?
Speaker 4: You gotta you gotta break that down.
Speaker 1: Few seconds because it's just biblical, soulful bliss. You remember the joints. I was like, I'm not doing a radio edit for this joint is.
Speaker 4: Thanks James, I'm gonna have to do it myself.
Speaker 1: Forget it.
Speaker 5: Thank you give me the DJ Envy edit.
Speaker 1: It's just that good.
Speaker 2: How long is jay Z's verse? If the song is nine minutes.
Speaker 1: Jay Z's it's not one of those ones like God did. Okay, He's like spoken speaking on it. He's not like rapping these, Okay, he's not rhyming these. He's like he's just talking on it like a He just comes in and floats and di'angelo goes in. So it's it's uh it's it's just that good. As you know. George Benjore on the soundtrack eighty four years Old, He's a guy that sings oh horry yuh oh well uh does you cat on a soundtrack on the same song as Kodak Black Wow and then Charlemagne Wow. They go in.
Speaker 2: I love both of them.
Speaker 1: Kodak goes in wow. Those are goes in like the soundtrack is. Here's the thing. I'm so glad I'm saying this on a breakfast club man. No matter how dope a director is and a composer is, Sergio Leon and your Morricane, Steven Spielberg and John Williams right, Alfred Hitchcock, Bernard Herman, whoever it is, there's always a handoff, Like filmmaking is handing the baton to Like, Okay, I'm directed the film, you hand the baton to the composer. As a James, I can always feel the handoff where the director stops and the composer starts. I can always feel it, no matter how beautifully in sync they are, I can always feel it. When you're watching the James film, you'll hear the the net Love. You'll see net Love riding his horse to Barrington Levy, an original Barrington Levy song, right Jane Jan He'll get off his horse and walk into a saloon, and that song will turn into a saloon version. The song would stop and he'll be whistling it. Right. Because I compose everything, So I compose the music as I'm writing the script, and I write the songs as i'm writing the writing the script. So the song speak to the score and speak to directly what's happening in the scenes. So there's no handoff. You can't feel any handoff. Everything is kind of one continuous wave, so to speak. And it's a beautiful thing to create like that. And that's why I always compose my compose my scores and just hear things different Yeah, just hear things differently. I hear like you'll be saying something, I'll hear the melody in it, and I'll take that melody in make it in songs. The songs aren't Composers don't write around speech. But I'll take your speech pattern. The first time you see the whole boat, right, the first time you see the whole bow. When he talks every word he says, there's a flute playing over his voice, but you don't necessarily get that, but with James Samuel film you get that. You get one continuous wave between visual and your sonics. I always say that I see, I see music, and I hear film.
Speaker 5: You took black people to the Old West, you took black people to the New Testament.
Speaker 2: Where you're taking us next, it's next.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like, well, I know what we're doing. Next is is? I've kind of held it under my hat. But eventually, though, we have to go to space. We have to, we have to. We have to go to space, like I'll go to all the genres, right, all the genres, and I have something like modern day, which is which is absolutely crazy. But eventually we have to go to we have to go to space like we we deserve to be in these in these places. I also think that you know as a kid, where we were given all the genres, but we were never given black people in them. That we're never given black like imagine imagine the road that you walked to end up in Charlemagne the God. Having never seen no visual reference in entertainment that you are that you know what I mean, Like you you never see no visual reference saying Charlemagne's Oh my god, you've never seen it. We've never had it, So you would have to go through all the learnings and all the spiritual growth that you've been through to get to that place.
Speaker 5: Take elements from everything, teaching exactly everything.
Speaker 1: But the one thing we didn't get like that when people talk about where did you first see black people in the Old West? Marley a Symphony, the first time I saw black people in the Old West? Kumo these wild wild West. Don't don't don't. The first time I've seen black people in the Old West. That's the only reference I had because before then, even if you showed me bucking the Preacher with Sidney Ponte and Haley Harry Belafonte, it's like to one black cowboy and white overseas. Everything always involved white overseas and a couple of blacks, like, we just never had it. We never had it. We never seen black people in the Bible days. Wow.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm excited for you guys to go out and check out this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, this is one of the ones you gotta go to the theater.
Speaker 5: It's not too many films that get me out the house to want to go sit in a movie theater.
Speaker 2: This is one of the ones you gotta go sit and watch in the movie theater.
Speaker 1: You have to. You have to, man, you have to. It's a it's a pleasure being on the breakfast club and speaking to this to the audience that you you know, that you've amassed over the over the years and telling them about the book Clarence Man, like, this is the best movie of its kind ever literally ever. So before you know you holler blasphemy, really just watch the film first, like it doesn't blasphere me, you know it really it really respects, respects faith. You're not going to come out this movie question in your faith, but if you're a non believer, you may come out of this movie question and your non belief. Yeah, you know what I mean, it may come out this movie question in your number belief. But right it's you know, it's a beautiful film and it's a film that we all have to have to I think watch. It's the first movie that everyone can recognize the environment, even if you're white, you can recognize this environment. It's environment you drive by every day, whatever you know, whatever color you are. And it's a movie that most importantly we deserve. We deserve this film. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So well, The Book of Clarence comes out this Friday, January twelfth.
Speaker 4: James Samuel, we appreciate you for joining us, brother.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you for having me. Charlemagne a black god, old leader, black god, bagey and.
Speaker 4: There's no bays in black.
Speaker 1: But I promise you everything in the in the next installment. No, I'll make things a little dark to get light broad. You know the crazy thing I'll say this Jesus is kind of you know, he's played by Nicholas Pinok in this movie and a dope actor. And I know Nicholas well from London. I know Nicholas from from from Road and I didn't want to cast Nicholas. I was gonna cast him as something else, one of the other apostles. And he came and he just read for Jesus and he was just kind.
Speaker 2: Of don't say no more, hold on sonnt come back.
Speaker 4: We got to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: To brise you guys are not going to be here for this conversation, but you know you got to come back up when we could talk about it in depth.
Speaker 4: It's the breakfast club, good morning
Speaker 1: Wake that answer up In the morning, the Breakfast Club