Speaker 1: Than any other mainstream media outlet.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club, then'na come here when this DJ Envy and Charlamagne the God being there.
Speaker 3: Next to all of you guys.
Speaker 4: It's really it's one of my favorite shows to do, just because y'all always keep it one.
Speaker 5: Honey, y'all keep it real. But what better place than than here?
Speaker 6: I think everybody should have won the Breakfast Club and start out.
Speaker 5: Y'all want to shake it up? Good morning Usa yo yo yo.
Speaker 7: Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 5: Charlemagne the Guy, Oh, what am I doing? Piece to the planet? Guess what day it is? Guess what day it is? Give that man three weeks of if he forgot what he was doing.
Speaker 8: That's right.
Speaker 5: I'll be forgetting. What the hell I even do here? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And I just realized all I got too is coming here and run my mouth. What an amazing life. Look at God. How's everybody feeling?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 5: I feel blessed? Black and Holly favorite. What's happening?
Speaker 10: Yes, good morning? It is Wednesday, and it's hump day. Middle of the week. Hopefully you guys are having a great week so far. Today on the show, we have a writer and director, James Salmon will be joining us. Of course, he's the director and writer for the new movie Book of Clarence, which comes out this week.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's his second movie. His first movie was The Heart of day Fall. You know, that was the Western with a cash full of black people. And this he took us to the Old West. Now he's taking us to the New Testament. Really really really good movie, man, Just one of those movies that's very layered, one of those movies that makes you think. So I like having these conversations. It's difficult to have these conversations on ed because we already saw the movie, right, so you don't want to give the movie away. But then you got so many questions because you've seen it correct, you know. So I'm saying all that to say we're gonna have to start waiting till after opening weekend. But you know, I know people want to come on because they want to promote the movie, they want to have a good opening weekend.
Speaker 5: But damn well, maybe we did have another conversation after Yeah, conversationally good.
Speaker 4: It starts La Keith Stanfield and Tianna Taylor. Who else is in there? Doctor Strange is in there? What's the what's the white man name? And played doctor Strange Benedict Benedict Cumberbatch. I think his name is you're asking the wrong person. If it wasn't Marvel. I get his name wrong on purpose, you know. I like to do that every now and then since they always confuse us. Oh boy, yes, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 10: So if you see the trailer, there's a short trailer and a longer trailer. I'll go to the longer trailer and it'll give you a better vision about the movie because the short trailer kind of confuses you. I was speaking to my mother last night and she was saying that, you know, her, my dad, they go to movie night every Friday, so they were going to see it. My mom was like, I don't know what it's about. It looks confusing. And then when I explained it to her, she was like, Oh, that's.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Even if you see the trailer, you know you still should go see the movie because whatever you think the movie is about, trust me, it's not about correct and sleute to everybody who tuned in us last night on seeing that me and my good sister Angela Road. We was on an Abbey Phillips show on CNN last night talking about Reason Choice Media, which is a political network that was a launch political podcast network launched here at iHeart that Angela Raie and Chris Morou and myself were founders of and their their show Native Land Podcast launches.
Speaker 5: There tomorrow Tomay.
Speaker 11: Yah.
Speaker 4: It's her Andrew Gilliman, Tiffany Cross. That's her podcast together called a Native Land Podcast. We was on CNN last night talking about that, amongst some other things.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeh, it's lutha Abbey Phillips tooth for having us man. All right, well now we're here back on the Breakfast Club. That's right, and let's get the show crack. And we got front page news coming up, a lot to discuss it. Don't go anywhere as to the breakfast club. Good morning morning.
Speaker 10: Everybody is dj n V, Charlamagne, the Gude.
Speaker 5: We are the breakfast Club. Good morning.
Speaker 10: Let's get in some front page news. Good morning, tis.
Speaker 6: Good morning shark that I was gonna say. So now I'm getting off like Charllet Magne, trying to get my groove back. Good morning, DJV and Charlemagne the God, he says.
Speaker 5: Good morning. Let's jump right into it. Let's start off with sports quickly.
Speaker 10: Now, Miami Heat coach she signs a record eight year, one hundred and twenty million dollar extension. That's the largest contract in NBA history in turn terms of total value for a coach. So congratulations to him and the Titans fire head coach Mike Ravel.
Speaker 5: That's his name, right, Mike Revell.
Speaker 10: Yeah, all right, we let's jump right into it. Let's talk about these journalists caught on a hot Mike.
Speaker 6: Journalists will caught on a hot hot Mike talking about Trump being assassinated like j f K.
Speaker 12: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 13: Who's driving without.
Speaker 1: I wasn't thinking about that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, if you up like JFK, it's like a JFF.
Speaker 5: Maybe something this way.
Speaker 1: They told JFK, you know what.
Speaker 5: You should do.
Speaker 7: It should take a convert of h.
Speaker 9: It's so nice out.
Speaker 5: Trust me.
Speaker 4: A lot of them feel like that about Trump, you know, elected officials, journalists, they want him out of here. But that's also the kind of rhetoric that definitely, uh, you know, makes his fan base rally behind him. But you know is crazy as that sounds, that's not as crazy as Trump's lawyers arguing that a president can order a Coeteam six to assassinate his political rifle if Congress is.
Speaker 5: Cool with it.
Speaker 4: You heard it, Trump Floyd and say that, like Trump Floyd isa that a president couldn't be prosecuted over an assassination of Congress, were okay with it?
Speaker 6: So right, you know, right right right, And that's another thing that we're talking about today. You know, as that hearing continues, Trump was in court, as you mentioned, he was facing the appeals court to talk about if he's immune to his activities regarding the January sixth, and so, Charlemagne, you're right on that.
Speaker 12: And then it being you.
Speaker 6: And I were talking about how Donald Trump is planning to deliver his own closing arguments, and this goes back to Charlemagne when you said this is going to be the best entertainment and going back to the mean o' brown.
Speaker 4: Were about to see things this year that we have never seen before in American politics. And it's like all of these new normals call for new strategy, man, but the only person that seemed to have new strategies is the person.
Speaker 5: They're trying to get the hell about it here.
Speaker 4: And that's Donald Trump and his strategy is destruction, destruction, destruction.
Speaker 10: The fact that he wants to speak after his layd to remarks and he wants.
Speaker 4: To do a closing argument after that. He gotta let everybody know if I go down, I'm taking all you bitches with me.
Speaker 15: Gee.
Speaker 4: Fact, let y'all don't know what this is, Nino Brown, Donald orangs, y'all know how it goes.
Speaker 5: What time this happened. I need to see this time, what time this is going?
Speaker 6: Now, well, we'll see, Well, we don't know the exact time, but we do know that it'll be today in court, so we'll bring it to you tomorrow.
Speaker 12: We'll bring that live whatever he says. Hopefully we can get some audio from it uh and air tomorrow.
Speaker 6: But I think we kind of predict, you know that he's definitely will be putting on the show for sure.
Speaker 12: And Charlamage, you're right.
Speaker 6: This is a year that we need more, you know, discussion around what's happening. So congratulations on that network again, and to the good sister Angela Rye and Siviny Craus and Andrew Gillium be able to you know, unpack these things in a larger form because it's absolutely necessary.
Speaker 10: And we're gonna talk to them tomorrow as well. Right, yeah, that's right, All right.
Speaker 5: Now, thank you chess. What we're doing next our.
Speaker 6: Next hour, we're gonna talk about two thousand migrants that had to be sheltered in a high school and the high school students have to go to school virtually, so really good topic coming up for the next hour.
Speaker 10: All right, now, get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, phone lines to wide open again, eight hundred five eight five one oh five one, call us up right now. Get it off your chest. Maybe you had bad weather wherever you're at. Maybe it was a rainstorm, tornado, or maybe your favorite team morning.
Speaker 5: Maybe you just have it a.
Speaker 10: Great morning, whatever it may be. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one, call us up right now. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 1: This is your time to get it off your chest. She calling eight hundred five eight five one oh five to one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Hello, who's this.
Speaker 7: Top of the morning MS watch clock.
Speaker 5: It's Montana, Montana what's up where you call it from?
Speaker 14: Brother, I'm calling while I'm calling from the hallway right now. I'm a truck bob. I'm hawking a white stone. But I just wanted to check that and say rush clack and you and Uncle Charla man PEASEI a three weeks without job?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Man, man, we're back though. How you doing? How you feeling?
Speaker 9: Brother?
Speaker 14: I'm fill the best guy in Holly, stay, uncle Shaul.
Speaker 7: I gotta raised right before the new year.
Speaker 5: My kids are healthy, that's right.
Speaker 4: And I'm at work.
Speaker 1: You're playing there, you go, there, you go.
Speaker 5: Be safe out there. You're in that truck now, Yeah, man, you know.
Speaker 11: What I need?
Speaker 14: Can I get it with? Can I get a quick shout out?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 11: Brother?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 14: We'll give a shout out for my daughter Princess, for my daughter Brooklyn, for my from Blake and my oldest fro Troad.
Speaker 7: I love you job all right?
Speaker 1: Brother? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Be safe on that road.
Speaker 5: Say hello, who's this?
Speaker 16: This is Laura.
Speaker 12: How are you doing this morning?
Speaker 5: Hey Laura, good morning. Get it off your chest.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna get off my chest about this.
Speaker 11: He asked about the gamers being home and how old your.
Speaker 4: Kids have to be.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yesterday we had a ten road. You know, at what age would you leave your kids home alone?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm thirty fifteen for me is a good age to leave home.
Speaker 12: It all depends on your kids. But as far as a gamer, definitely not can.
Speaker 8: My son is twenty four.
Speaker 12: He plays in his room, he has on noise block and his headphones. He hears absolutely nothing. The alarm goes off, he hears nothing.
Speaker 11: I have to go into his bed room with the kid's life on and off of he's a turn around even though it's I'm even in the house.
Speaker 12: I've been in the house for a whole hour.
Speaker 13: He doesn't even know all I'm in there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's what I said about my son. He don't have nothing with them heaving folds on. You could be screaming his name. He don't hed nothing.
Speaker 4: You got a damn near alarm, shake him and he gets scared.
Speaker 5: But yeah, nah, I feel you. I agree with you, mama. Yeah, I don't lead him wrong.
Speaker 4: But by the way, King you said, you said your child is twenty four. Goddamn, that's a grown ass.
Speaker 6: Man's a grown ass math right, and my thirty year old will come over right, My thirty year old will come and play with him too.
Speaker 12: They don't know.
Speaker 11: They got no idea in the house, none those headphones on.
Speaker 13: I don't leave them all, none of them.
Speaker 8: I don't trust none of them.
Speaker 12: They'll burn your house down.
Speaker 4: I just want you to know, Queen, if you can't trust the twenty four ye old and the thirty year old, then something happened along the way that you know, yeah, might you might want to reevaluate.
Speaker 11: I don't trust them at all.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 11: All right, y'all have a letter.
Speaker 5: You too, Man, I don't call up here talking about your kids. Won't leave the house.
Speaker 4: And he's twenty four and thirty, big grown ass kids. He said, I can't leave home alone. They twenty four and thirty one.
Speaker 5: What was the comedian saying when she was like that penis too big to be in my house.
Speaker 4: You gotta get a job. Who's that the lady from after elementary? I can't remember the sister name. She's funny as hell.
Speaker 5: Hello, who's this?
Speaker 11: Hey from Jersey?
Speaker 17: All?
Speaker 9: What up?
Speaker 18: Man?
Speaker 5: Get off your chest?
Speaker 6: Brother?
Speaker 11: God?
Speaker 5: What's up now? You feeling?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 14: I'm all right back in staid, but little mad that I ain't get a delayed open.
Speaker 5: I worked for the school, and this.
Speaker 11: The man was talking about all there nothing over here.
Speaker 10: My kids got to My kids got a delayed opening today and it wasn't too bad. But they got a delayed open that yesterday. Once, once they said that to the government, once the governor said that it was a state of emergency of emergency, they automatically did a delayed opening this morning.
Speaker 4: You know, I was shocked they didn't change that, especially waking up this morning and seeing that it really wasn't that bad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah's talking about that because I gotta work all the.
Speaker 11: Way, drop all the way. It is farded nothing.
Speaker 9: We didn't get nothing.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry for you, bro.
Speaker 10: I figured Spart would have got messed up a little bit, but maybe maybe not. We'll be saving the road, all right, brother, Get it off your chest. Eight hundred and five eighty five, one oh five one. If you need to vent hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club the morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Ray right, ray yo, Charlotte mane.
Speaker 4: Yady, what up are we lying?
Speaker 1: This is your time to get it off your chest.
Speaker 5: I got an indoor pool, door pool.
Speaker 1: We want to hear from you on the breakfast club.
Speaker 7: Get on the phone right now, He'll tell you what it is.
Speaker 4: We lie.
Speaker 11: Hello, who's this church?
Speaker 8: What up?
Speaker 9: Dough?
Speaker 5: Get it off your chest?
Speaker 19: I got two?
Speaker 20: Three?
Speaker 11: Way? I got three? I want to stag the sailing man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I.
Speaker 21: Better like that.
Speaker 4: I can't even understand nothing. You heard exactly you said, cowboys going to the super Bowl?
Speaker 5: He said, the Cowboys chey. Well, guess what. I hope the referees cheap for us all throughout the playoffs. Baby, let's go. I hope they cheap for us all the way to the super Bowl and beyond.
Speaker 1: Let's thank you Church.
Speaker 5: Sean Stone, what up?
Speaker 9: Hey? Good morning, Pizzas Blessing number.
Speaker 7: One fan is back.
Speaker 5: Happy new year, brother, Sean Stone.
Speaker 9: Hey, good morning, Charlotte Man. How you doing?
Speaker 22: Man?
Speaker 5: Un blessed Black and Holly favor with King? How you hey?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 7: I want you and doctor Umar to stop shaming black man all black women that like white people man, are like to date white people.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 7: You mean shaming people?
Speaker 5: Man, I ain't shame nobody. You must feel a shame. Do your thing?
Speaker 1: Can't go?
Speaker 5: Why you feel a shamed Charla Man?
Speaker 9: A couple of years ago? You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: I looked at a past interview that you had with academic he used to light them white girls.
Speaker 5: Man, that is not true. If anytime you ever you know what you said in.
Speaker 9: The interview, you said, yo, I like to make love to white girls so they you know, they don't sweat a lot in the summittar.
Speaker 4: Remember first of all, that was a that was a joke when in the actually that was that wasn't that was an actual joke. And I also used to say you don't sleep with no white women after labor Day?
Speaker 5: Remember that one?
Speaker 1: You remember that one?
Speaker 5: Since you want to remember how.
Speaker 8: To that one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course you don't. But let me ask you a question, Sean. This is what I don't understand.
Speaker 4: Why do people get upset when when individuals like myself say, yo, I don't have a problem with inter raise your relationships, but I like to see black men with black women.
Speaker 5: When you think about because what.
Speaker 7: Because you be coming off like you're trying to shame no black people or black women or black man, but they white people.
Speaker 11: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Do you feel ashamed whenever you're out with your white woman and you hold in her hand, you hear doctor umar voice and you have white.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't have a white woman show me. I'm just so, why do you care?
Speaker 4: Because it's so funny and hypocritical to me to see you in.
Speaker 9: An old you know, if you were talking about you. I don't like to make love to black women in the summertime because they sweat too much.
Speaker 5: And I also said you don't make it.
Speaker 4: And I also said you don't sleep with white women after Labor Day is called a joke.
Speaker 5: Sean, Sean, you're in the laugh Sean.
Speaker 10: Date who you want to date. Don't let Charlamagne or doctor Umar affects you. You want to date if you want to, if you want to take a white woman to your picnic, go ahead and do it.
Speaker 23: Man.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I don't understand why people get upset when you hear a black man say he likes black love. When he says, hey, man, I like to see a black man with a black woman having a beautiful black family.
Speaker 5: That's what I have, you know what I mean? So whenever I hear y'all brothers be so upset about that, don't be ashamed. God didn't do what you do.
Speaker 4: Boo. Okay, But when doctor Umar says what he says, and I say what I say.
Speaker 5: Don't be embarrassed. Why are you embarrassed? For get it off your chest?
Speaker 10: Eight hundred five eight five one on five one. If you need to vin, you can hit us up at any time. Now, when we come back, Michelle Obama says, don't make us a couple goals.
Speaker 5: We'll explain when we come back. So don't move. It's to breakfast Clugle Morning, the.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 11: Morning.
Speaker 10: Everybody is d J n V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk a couple goals.
Speaker 1: Name or you gossip? This is the rumor report.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: This is where the tea.
Speaker 1: Spells right, yes, now.
Speaker 10: Michelle Obama did an interview with Jay Shetty on his podcast on Purpose with Jay Shetty, and they talked about being a couple goals.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 10: They've been married thirty one years, married in nineteen ninety two. They have two daughters, Sasha and Malaya. Of course, but before this interview, we also got a chance to sit down with Barack Obama.
Speaker 5: The Breakfast Club did and we asked them about we did, what are you back in the day? Yes, we just did.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 10: We got a chance to sit down and we actually asked him about, you know, being in a marriage and how it worked and how everything looked all peaches and cream on the outside.
Speaker 5: And this is what he said when we interviewed him.
Speaker 24: So, when you talk about your wife and you talk about how hard it was and how she didn't want you to run, how bad did he get in the household? Did he ever get to the point where he was like, you know what, maybe this is not going to work for us? Or is that never an option when it came to a relationship.
Speaker 16: I think, I think I think there were times where certainly she thought this wasn't gonna work. You know, she, you know, Michelle once told me something that I think summed it up pretty well. She said, I have organized my life not to have a lot of mess in my life, and politics by definition, brings mess into our household. And I understood that, and and the sacrifice she made is one that you know, I've had to work off, you know, the like I my debt has been.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a payday loan.
Speaker 10: You know, it just keeps on, well on the podcast with J Shetty Michelle She talks about.
Speaker 4: She responded to that interview not being a couple. She responded, I'm trying to tell a story. She responded that interview after she was doing she was Lawn j Sheeddy show.
Speaker 5: Responding to what Barack Obama said on a Breathfic Club, go first of all.
Speaker 22: Pick well, pick somebody you respect and like. Start there, and then remember that that's who they are, and then understand that with that, they are going to be and you are going to be deeply, deeply flawed, and you're going to make a whole lot of mistakes, right, But in the end, you can look that person in the eye and you go, You're still the person that I like and love and respect.
Speaker 12: And we can figure this out.
Speaker 22: So I share that because I don't want people looking at me and Barack like hashtag couples goals and not know that No, no, there are some broken things that happen even in the best of marriages.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean listen, none of those individuals see you see should be couple of goals because you don't even know these people, Like we only know what we see on TV, what we see on social media. We don't see them at home, and that's when you see the real relationship. And that's what real relationships are like, it's all a process. You might look at somebody and think couples goals until you see them at home and you're like, oh, I don't want that.
Speaker 5: No, I don't want that.
Speaker 10: But you could take part of different relationships that inspire you. Whether it's you know, something that they do, whether it's a date night every Friday, or how they discuss something in their relationship.
Speaker 5: You can take that. But like you said, you never know what's going on in somebody.
Speaker 4: I have no idea. You say a couple of goals. You have no idea what these couples are dealing with in their private time. You only know what they show you, you know, via via their public platform.
Speaker 5: That's right now. Michelle Obama also talks about the election and that she's very afraid. What keeps me up are the things that I know.
Speaker 22: The war in the region in too many regions.
Speaker 12: What is AI going to do for us? The environment?
Speaker 22: Are we moving at all fast enough? What are we doing about education? Are people going to vote? And why aren't people voting? Are we too stuck to our folds. I mean, those are the things that keep me up. And you wonder, where are people? Where are we in this you know, where are our hearts? What's going to happen in this next selection? I am terrified about what could possibly happen because our leaders matter, who we select, who speaks for us, who holds that bullied pulpit. You know, the fact that people think that government, you know, does it really even do anything? And I'm like, oh my god, does government do everything for us? And we cannot take this democracy for granted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't keep me up at night because I have embraced the inevitable, and the inevitable is mutually a sore destruction. Sorry to be the pessimistic one in the room. And she's not saying anything we haven't been saying. My only problem with a lot of these conversations is not the sense of urgency that it needs to be around a lot of these things. What you know, Yeah, the Obamas have already told us what's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you saw that movie Leave the World Behind.
Speaker 4: If you've seen the movie Leave the World Behind, and you saw Obama, remember when the Boone Docks did a president Obama when they was in their bunker and they basically told us, Hey, we're gonna be fine. I don't know about y'all. We're gonna be We're gonna be fine, but I don't know about y'all. They already told us what it is.
Speaker 5: Well, you can check out that full conversation on Jay Shetty Now, also.
Speaker 4: The Jay Shaddy Man iHeartRadio podcast network dropping the clues bomb for Jay Schetty Man, it's my guy.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 10: Also, let's move to Jonathan Majors. Now, we know Jonathan Major's yesterday he referenced Corretta Scott King a couple of times, once when he was dealing with his white girlfriend and said he wants her to be more like Coreda Scott King.
Speaker 5: I am a great man, a great man. I am doing great things, not just for me before my for my culture.
Speaker 1: It's a little world.
Speaker 5: That is actually the position I'm in.
Speaker 25: The woman that supports me, who needs to be a great woman.
Speaker 4: Everywhere John go, he gonna hear the name corret I don't know why y'all cut it off before he got there, the part where he said it silly production. But everywhere he go, he gonna hear the name corret. He gonna hear the name car so much that he gonna think his name is Corretall. You're gonna be in Thoughbuck. They're gonna write Carette on his cup.
Speaker 5: Well, well, he said, making good is his Coretta Scott King, How would you describe your relationship?
Speaker 1: Oh, she's an angel. She's held me down like.
Speaker 11: Correa.
Speaker 1: I'm so blessed.
Speaker 10: All right, Well, Bernice King, which is Martin Luther King Junior, said my mother wasn't a prop that's right. She was a peaceful advocate before she met my father and was instrumental in him speaking out against the Vietnam War.
Speaker 5: Please understand, my mama was a force, so she wanted to be that period.
Speaker 4: She basically said, keep my mother's name out your f and mouth. Okay, I'm telling you, man, everywhere Jonathan Majors go, he gonna hear the name Corretta, he gonna think his name is Corretta. Godking, He's gonna be in Tharbucks and somebody's just gonna write Corretta on his cup. Jesus, Okay, like this is whatever, man, God bless Jonathan Majors. All right, Well, is you just want you to stop referring to every single woman is corredita. And if I was, if I was making good, right, if I was making good, you can't call me what you called another woman's man, especially you know what I'm saying, like if a woman that's what I'm saying. Karta is like honestly called to die.
Speaker 5: She wasn't.
Speaker 4: Kara was not right to die? Like I don't even like that term ride a dock And why did the person have to die? Why know I got to die to prove my lord? It is all I'm saying is like it's like the rib. You know, when you say, oh that the person is my rib, that woman is my rib. When you say somebody is your karreta, that's like saying that's your rib. You can't just be going around calling everybody your kreta. That's your game, that's your game.
Speaker 5: That's what it sounds like, right.
Speaker 4: I wonder how many times that your ribs krreta. That's what you do when you really want to make a girl feel like you into them, You my krrella.
Speaker 5: God damn Jesus. Correct, I've been some good game. If it didn't come out like that, though, because if it come out here. It would be some good jobs.
Speaker 4: Fable was the first one with the riz. Fab said what he said, You're gonna be my Caretta, I'm gonna be your king? What a Fab said on that song? You know what I'm talking about? Man, I don't remember, man, how you don't remember that? You from New York City.
Speaker 5: I don't remember every line from every New York rapper.
Speaker 4: It was the line I can't remember the line right now, Man, I'm gonna be coredit Scott if I'm a b king or something like that.
Speaker 5: Anyway, that was the first person with that Riz. Is what I'm saying. You can't make that your riz.
Speaker 4: You can't go around calling every girl your credit, just like you can't go around calling every girl your rib man.
Speaker 5: You can't do that.
Speaker 10: All right, Well, that is your room of report. When we come back, we got front page news. Tesslim figure O will be joining us, and then James Samuel. Samuel will be joining us. He's the director, the writer and composer of the new movie The Book of Clearance, which comes out this week. So we're gonna talk to him in a little bit, So don't move. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning, the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 4: Need me, Corada need me, Corada need me, Corada need me.
Speaker 5: Correh.
Speaker 10: Good morning, everybody is dj NV charlemagnea Goud.
Speaker 4: We are to breakfast club. Let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 12: Good morning, dj v's Charlemagnea Goud.
Speaker 5: Peace sad.
Speaker 4: Now let's jump right into it.
Speaker 10: Let's talk about these New York City high school students forced to do remote learning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, remote learning, because two thousand migrants were sheltered in their high school.
Speaker 12: Let's listen to CBS for the report.
Speaker 26: Nearly two thousand migrants from a controversial city shelter at Brooklyn's Floyd Bennett Field over safety concerns and the incoming storm. CBS twos Inia Maldonado is live in Midwood to explain what's happening.
Speaker 27: Well, Christine, we are stationed here outside of migrants and what could be a danger zone. Nearly two thousand migrants are set to relocate Tuesday from the Floyd Bennett Field shelter to hear the James Madison High School in Midwood. Students were dismissed at their regular time Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 12: One teacher we spoke with tell.
Speaker 27: CBS two staff received an email in the morning stating that migrants were set to arrive around and will be placed inside the school's gym.
Speaker 5: Just a storm coming and migrants will be coming to the site. Take importance, stuff home.
Speaker 27: New York City Emergency Management Commissioner Zach Iscol says the evacuation of about five hundred families will be staggered Tuesday as migrants return to Floyd Bennett Field throughout the evening.
Speaker 4: We do not anticipate significant impacts of the tents tonight, but the safety of the people in our care as a paramount importance and we're not going to take risks now.
Speaker 6: New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he's been asking for help since last year, and he's calling for a federal declaration of emergency.
Speaker 12: Take a listen to that.
Speaker 28: New York City Mayor Eric Adams says he has not gotten any FaceTime with President Joe Biden about the migrant crisis since early last year. Now, Adams and other sanctuary city mayors are forming a coalition pleading for financial and legislative assistants.
Speaker 19: Has temperatures drop in New York City, Chicago, denbra and other impacted cities. We are calling for the federal declaration of emergency financial support and a national resentiment strategy.
Speaker 28: Today, the Democratic mayors of New York, Chicago, and Denver held a virtual meeting to discuss how they're trying to handle the influx of thousands of migrants as record numbers cross the southern border and head for their cities.
Speaker 23: Now.
Speaker 6: Adam said that over one hundred and sixty thousand migrants have surgeon to the sanctuary city since the middle of twenty twenty two, some of whom who have been bussed directly from Texas. Let's take a listen real quick to what Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson had to say.
Speaker 29: As busses continue to arrive in the city of Chicago and all over the country. The type of chaos that has been administered has left many of our local economies under a tremendous amount of duress.
Speaker 28: Governor Greg Abbots's office telling us in part, his state will continue busing migrants to sanctuary cities until quote President Biden steps up and does his job to.
Speaker 12: Secure the border.
Speaker 4: So what they do, They're sending all high school kids to another school. Let me get that straat no remote learning. They gotta do it from the crib, but they got to do it from home. They gotta do it from home.
Speaker 23: Now.
Speaker 4: See, when I hear stories like that, it makes you say build the wall. When I hear stories like that, it makes you say America first. That's why that rhetoric that somebody like a Trump's spews or other Republican spews, that's why it's effective. Because why do these kids have to be inconvenience because of the migrants the middle of the school year. You just gonna tell the kids stay home, no, find someplace else for the migrants.
Speaker 1: How was that? Okay?
Speaker 10: I was gonna say that too. I was like, out of every place we could put the migrants, it has to be in schools. There's not any place else we could put them, and no disrespect. But they find money for everything else. We can't find money for motels, hotels to rent, gyms, gymnasiums that Jacob Javidson and all these big buildings.
Speaker 4: They find money for everything else. But you're gonna take.
Speaker 5: These kids out of school and no disrespect.
Speaker 10: I think any parent knows that when you have to do remote learning, kids don't really focus on learning.
Speaker 5: And yo What if I can't stay home with my child?
Speaker 4: What if I can't afford a babysitter, What if I can't if I don't have a relative that can stay with my child?
Speaker 5: How are you just disrupting me in my life for these migrants? How is that okay?
Speaker 4: And listen, I'm all for assisting any human that needs assistance, but not at the sake of disrupting my kids learning and disrupting my life. And that's my tax payer dollars that pay for the school. I want my kids in that school, not the migrants. I don't know how that's okay?
Speaker 12: Yah, yeah, and heavy emphasis on.
Speaker 6: They found this out day of you know, so this wasn't, you know, obviously because of the weather, you know, all of a sudden, but this was like a day of, hey, guys, go go learn remote.
Speaker 5: So what about what if I got to go to work. I'm already getting my ass kicked.
Speaker 4: Barey can pay my bills, Bailly can keep inflation is high, I have to be at work. What if I can't go to work because now I got to have my child at home to learn because y'all putting some migrants into school. How do you how does any elected official or anybody think that's okay. Like how and you wonder why the rhetoric of build the wall in America first works for a lot of people.
Speaker 5: It's because of stuff like this.
Speaker 10: And and the thing is, like, like they said, Biden has to do something. We've been talking about this. This hasn't been the first week we discussed this. This hasn't been the first month. We've been talking about this for months. We've been seeing this issue in this problem and there's no resolution.
Speaker 4: Eric, you can't think that's okay. Eric, there's nobody that should be co signing on this show. You're going to let the kids stay at home and do remote learning to put two thousand migrants into a high school.
Speaker 6: Well, and when you make the point you're saying, you know you've been talking about this. I mean that's what Governor Abbott's you know his response is in Texas say, and the Texas hasn't been talking about this forever.
Speaker 12: You know, Republicans have been talking about this for episode.
Speaker 6: Now that the Democrat mayors in Chicago in New York now have to deal with the problem, what they say stand on business a Governor Advien said, it's going to continue to keep sending migrants to New York and Chicago until they.
Speaker 4: Figure it out.
Speaker 6: Now that it has to be a problem they have to deal with. Now they're saying, this is what Texas has always been talking about. So you know, again, you know, I know some folks gonna say that's racist, and you know, folks are not being sympathetic. But what they're trying to do is forced the conversation to deal with immigration. And charlottne you're right because it is such a hot topic right now. We're talking about this yesterday. That's what Trump keeps talking about over and over and over immigration and so when you see this happens, you know, see this type of stuff happening, it plays right into his point.
Speaker 12: Whether you agree with Trump.
Speaker 6: Or not, that's right.
Speaker 4: And we always think about sympathy when it comes to the migrants. And like I said, you know, I'm all for assisting any human that needs assistance, but why not have sympathy for the parents that are now inconvenience because of this situation. Their kids have to stay home high school or not. They have to stay home and do remote learning while their school is being you know, while migrants are sheltering in their school. I don't know how anybody can think that's okay. And what about the teachers. What do the teachers do?
Speaker 12: I guess go home.
Speaker 5: They teach from their crib, like you have truck balls in their crib. And that's not what I want my tax pion dollars going to again.
Speaker 12: And they have to figure this out all of us sudden. So they're figuring it out.
Speaker 6: It's kind of as you go, like literally, this just happened yesterday, so today it's like, hey, just figure it out against loging now because you know, obviously Corona is not too far, you know, so they I'm sure they had some strategies in place since they had to do it, you know, with the pandemic. But the point is you just wake up and say, hey, tomorrow you're not going to school. Youre gonna learn from home.
Speaker 12: It's it's an issue. But Mayor Adams has been asking for help.
Speaker 6: The clip said that he's been begging Joe Biden help and he can't get his ear on this at all. He's been ignored, according to Mayor Adams.
Speaker 4: Well, Eric Adams was also one of those people that was very welcoming. He was saying, this is a sanctuary city, and you know he was welcoming the migrants here, and well you got what you asked for, Mayor.
Speaker 12: Yeah, different when they're welcome. Actually, it's taking up to that offer taken up.
Speaker 10: Now, what would happen if if they just dropped the migrants just in front of the White House, just started dropping him in front of the White House and loads.
Speaker 1: They've done that.
Speaker 4: They did, they did that at the at the vice, but they already seem like they stopped. They just it was just like one bustload or two bustloads this matter.
Speaker 10: If they just get bustloads every day, then then he would really have to do something because it would be on his loan literally, right.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, but I think well that's true.
Speaker 6: But I think the strategy of making these mayors have to talk about it in Chicago in New York and them having to really you know, push the issue, I think that's also very strategic as well, you know, because now you're getting other mayors and other elected officials get involved to.
Speaker 12: Put that pressure. What they're basically trying to do just call it for what it is.
Speaker 6: They're basically, you know, wanting Democrat mayors to have to admit that there is a problem with immigration, and this is a strategy. Whether people like it or not, it's actually effective because it's making them talk about it and you know, and have to deal with it face on, which is probably a little bit more strategic than.
Speaker 12: Just at the White House.
Speaker 4: You should be ashamed of ourselves as a country, you know, New York City should be ashamed of itself that they're displacing. You know, we're not displacing, but making a bunch of high school kids do remote learning because they want to show up to two thousand migrants. Once again, you know, I'm all for assisting people that need assistance, but you know, not at the disruption. Not not at the sake of disrupting my kids learning. And once again, that's my tax, fair dollars that pay for that school.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: What if I'm a parent that don't want that, Like, it's just insane to me. All right, Well that is front page News. Thank you, tesz Hi.
Speaker 12: Absolutely all right.
Speaker 5: Now, make sure it make.
Speaker 4: Sure you follow tesland figure out on all social media platforms and subscribe to a Tesling figure O's podcast.
Speaker 5: It's a great shot.
Speaker 4: No chase of podcasts on the black Effect iHeartRadio podcast Network.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 10: And when we come back, James Samuel will be joining us. He's the writer and director and composer of the new movie, The Book of Clarence. And we're gonna talk to them about all that when we come back, So don't movie.
Speaker 5: Don't want to miss it. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Morning. Everybody is d J n V.
Speaker 10: Charlamagne to gud. We are the Breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the.
Speaker 5: Building, one of my favorite people.
Speaker 17: He don't even know it though, James Samuel, Welcome Guts speaks to the guts.
Speaker 5: He's black man.
Speaker 9: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, King, I'm good. I'm good. I'm good. It's about time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Absolutely happy to have you.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: You got a new movie y'all called The Book of Clars. But before we get the Book of Clars, we just got to talk about you, you know, James Samuel. You know are I'm sure you have seen The Heartiday Faul. That was your first film, right, yeah, that's the first, the debut film. Okay, yeah, give us a little backstory. What's the James Samuel origin? Man, you know how superheroes are we were born superheros, you know, people like us.
Speaker 1: We didn't fall into know pit, we were born it. But I was just a guy. There was always instruments in the house. I always had cameras, and I was always doing two things right. So it's not really what made me like fall into film from music or fall into music from film. It's really what made me not stop being me. The older you get, the more I always say, you're taught to level down right as a kid, disguised the limit as an elder. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. So you just have to kind of work out a way to hold onto yourself, never to never grow up, and continue doing the things that just make you you. So I continue doing music to the point where I was working with j Electronica and toy A Muss and all of these people, and I continue doing film, and I was just doing both of them myself, funding whatever I can. Then I made a short film in twenty twelve, cause They Die by Dawn. It was a Western. It was like a proof of concept for The Harder, starring Erica Baduo, Rosario Dawson, gen Carlo Esposito, Michael K. Williams, Harry Lennox, Nate Parker based. I was just going to people's house and I can't. I put them in it, and I did all the music for it. Then me and jay Z did the music for The Great Gatsby, and from there I just pivoted into into The Harder Day Four. You know, The Hard Day four took like fifteen years to make right and everyone telling you it's never gonna happen. It's too big. You can't do that for your first movie. Your first movie should be like one million or two million. There was a guy called Andrea Evolino. He said to me, James, do you know this? This movie is too it's too big. Take five million. Do something small, and if that's successful, I give you more. And that's you know when I Hope says, I drove by the fork in the road and went straight. I looked at this guy. Should I take that five mil? Nah?
Speaker 15: Man?
Speaker 1: My first movie is The Harder Day Four. I have to tell people that one in four cowboys was black. The name cowboy came from us. They call us cowboys. White people were called cow hands. I just had a mission with that movie, and I just I never took it and I went straight and I made the holiday fall literally a couple of years. A couple of years later, I made a holiday fall for nineteen million dollar budget, write a ninety million dollar budget.
Speaker 10: How did you know so many people open their arms to you because you mentioned Ja electronicer, Michael K. Williams, Erica baddu jay Z. How did so many people open up their arms You'd be like, come on, brother, let's do this together.
Speaker 1: Or how was that? You know before Mike Tyson beat the brakes.
Speaker 5: Off, which one he'd beat the break a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Frank Bruno in England, I mean that almost like we still wanted to Tyson to win, though, because you know it's Tyson, he said, I laugh, forgive.
Speaker 5: Me for being so vain.
Speaker 1: I'm the best at what I do, Envy. I laugh, forgive me for being so vaine and the best of what I do. I'm literally a once in a lifetime comment like no one does. I compose the score. I write and produce every single song on the soundtrack unless someone's rapping. I write and produce every single song on the soundtrack. And also I believe that great artists want to make great art So when I sit in front of you, and I tell you, look, we have never had had a movie like this before ever, like the Book of Clarence in one hundred and thirty six years of the movie image two black people who have never been on screen and gone this, Jesus, We've never had a movie like that before. So when I sit in front of you and I explain to you my intention and the reason why I want to make what I make and I have to make what I make, I'm kind of fortunate that I'm able to explain it and that the person I'm talking to is able to hold onto it, and then we just go forward and create.
Speaker 10: History, not the Book of Clarence. This comes out this week the twelve. Yeah, Now with this movie, did you have any reservations? Because when you talk about religious movies or biblical times or people are so animated, so have so many questions and will complain to I don't even.
Speaker 5: Know what's up, especially with this movie. Blastphem me blasphemy.
Speaker 1: The teaser a sixty second teaser. We drop a sixty second teaser and everyone says blast for me. Envy Matthew twenty four to five. Jesus' exact words are many shall come in my name saying I am the Christ, and they shall deceive many. The Bible itself speaks of Simon and sorcerer who was trying to pay his way into the apostles. The Bible itself speaks of Simon the Sorcerer. In Jesus' lifetime, and it's thirty three years of being on the planet, there was two to three hundred people coming and saying that they're the Messiah. You only have to do a Google check.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I knew people would be saying that when they look at the teaser. We released the longer trailer and it was less right. But now when you say blasphemy, you have to stand on it. I want to know why you're saying blasphemy. Is it because you're seeing people of color? And if I'm speaking to a person of color, I'm gonna ask a deep question when you look at the trailer for because you haven't seen a movie, When you look at the trailer for the Book of Clarence and you're yelling blasphemy, One, do you actually read the book you profess to know so much about. Two? And listen to all black people that yelling yelling blasphemy? Are you saying blasphemy because you see yourself in that play some time? Because I'm showing people in that place and time as the same color as you. We are so trained to dismiss anything we see as as either blasphemy or in this day and ages, the Illuminati. I always tell people, Charlotte, it's a crazy thing, right. You never hear two white people go Spilberg and George Lucas are the Illuminati? Yeah, you know the black people go jay z Rihanna and really like, really, ill is that what we're doing? This soon to be accomplished as soon as we accomplished something. So for me, I never had any reservations at all. I don't create art with in fear. I have had any reservations at all. And the fact that people yell and blaste me is exactly why to tell this story, Clanits is about an every man. It's about you and I who believes he can do anything. But in this in this belief, he finds himself, you know, in trouble with a village terror, and he ends upon a rod of self discovery and ultimately redemption and faith. It's a beautiful It's a beautiful story.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think it downplays faith at all. I think it examines the motivation behind our faith.
Speaker 1: Thank you, brother, thank you. That's exactly exactly what it does. Like the Book of Clients is a classic.
Speaker 4: It's a fantastic movie, and it's gonna be a discussion piece, regardless what you just said about him in the film, you know, And maybe this is just me being white. Your face looked like that. He doesn't look like you want to tell you this morning. But maybe I'm just being a little fake.
Speaker 1: Deep.
Speaker 4: What I took from it was everybody's God. We should recognize everybody is God. But the most important thing is recognizing God in yourself.
Speaker 1: Recognizing God in yourself. Charlemagne, like all of us, have that walking water moment. Even though Jesus is in the film, right and he's clear, and he's in the filming and I may I go through.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's as clear as you thought it was, because me and it was arguing this morning about my wife got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, see yeah, so it was super clear. But Charlemagne's wife got it. Here's the thing, and you know Edvy loves an argument, loves debate, so there is a God in yourself and that's super import man. Like when we see each other's peace to the God, it's peace to the God. Like there's a God in yourself, and that's like the most important thing. Because not everyone that's gonna watch this film is a Christian. Not everyone's gonna watch it film. You know, like when people people champion there their religions, but I find everyone to be a disbeliever of some sort. If I'm speaking to a Christian, Okay, so you disbelieve in all the other religions on the planet, you just believe in yours, right, whatever your belief is, even if you have no faith, God is inside you, and I want people to take take that away from this this movie. So what you took away from it for me is a beautiful is a beautiful thing? Is job well done? Because you know it's the first movie of its kind in one hundred and thirty six years of the moving image, Right, it's a it's a really beautiful thing. And you know me, Charlemagne, like I'm always excited about what I do. Filmmakers are almost like it's politically incorrect to say my movie is wicked. Like Christopher Nolan. You watch a Christ Nolan interview, you're sleep by the end of it. He wants amazing, but but the interviews up whereas I'm not that guy. The Book of Clarence is an amazing film. We've never seen anything like it. It's easy to critique something when it's done, but watch it first and celebrate cinema.
Speaker 4: We got more with James Samuel when we come back, don't move.
Speaker 5: It's the Breakfast Club. Good Morning, owning everybody.
Speaker 10: It's DJ NV Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We're still kicking it with James Samuels, the director and writer for Book of Clarence, which comes out this week.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know people will have.
Speaker 10: Reservations at first because it is a biblical movie. I mean even myself. I when I first and I'm like, oh, here we go.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 10: I wasn't excited until I've seen it. And when I seen it, I was super duper excited. I was kind of mad that I was seeing it on my phone and laptop at first. So I want to see it this Friday when it comes to the theaters. La Keith Stanfield perfect acting for the politics like it was to what made you find him and what made you say he's the perfect person. He played that I don't I don't think there's anybody that could have played it better.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Envy. Here's what happened, right, I wrote Clarence, I had no idea I can cost it, and that was costing for the Holtiday four and the Keith came on the phone and I was in Mexico and during the call, he got a call from his cousin and he got worried, taken aback. So you know he's speaking to a director and he's in a particular mode. Then he's like, Yo, it's my cousin. Man, I got I gotta, I gotta go take this call. Somebody probably got shot in the herd. He ran through like a soliloquy of happenings things, put down the phone when he phone. I called my sister, Tanya. I found Clarence. It's like what I found Clarence, Tanya. This guy has got every single emotion that Clarence has. Because Clarence, we don't want to talk about the ending, but Clarence goes to every single emotion that you possibly can go through in that environment, and he just possesses everything. Then he came to set to play Cherokee Bill in the Holtiday four.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is it.
Speaker 1: It's him. So on the last day when we rapped hugged him, was like, yo, yo, don't go too farther coming back. There's something else. And as soon as we finished with a Holiday four, I went straight back. I went straight into the clarance. If he didn't want to do the film, I would have shot something else. Wow, it was him. It was him, And I think I'm really dope at finding actors and and you know, like working with people at that like Dion Cole in The Hearder they fought gave the grill and people have never seen Deon Cole and they said, you cast the old spice guy. I'm from London, I've never seen advert. I just knowed this guy is perfect for this role. And the Keith Man, he's just killed it. Man, he kills it, he kills It's a real tor force of a performance. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: You know Clarence said that at one point in the movie, knowledge is stronger than belief, and it made me want to cut that distinction of knowledge and belief.
Speaker 5: Did that influence his pursuit of the truth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, the first time he says it, he says it to the apostles, because you know how we are Charlemagne, that we grew up and our friends are religious at first, and before we had adopted any faith, whether it's Christianity, Muslim five percent, whatever we adopt. At first, we're looking at our friends, were questioning them, like someone will be telling me don't drink alcohol while they're smoking a cigarette. Man, you believe in God. If you knew there was a God, you would not don't be telling me that cigarettes aren't har am if you knew that was good. Like knowledge is stronger than them. Belief is Clarence's whole ethos. And you know that's a multif that I've thought throughout my life. I remember again Mike Tyson fighting Michael Spinks in that ninety one second massacre. The crazy thing wasn't the massacre in ninety one seconds. It was what Tyson done when when he walked back to his corner, he just turns around, puts up his hands like he knew he was gonna win. Michael Spinks believed he could win, Like knowledge is stronger than than belief. What happens is we have we embark on faith, right, and we have belief in something, and then something happens in our lives and it turns that belief into knowledge, Like now I know God exists because you can't explain this stuff that happened. You can't explain the majesty of what we've just been through. You can't explain how I just hold three shots close range. You can't explain how we how I got out of this. I know God exists. Right, So it goes from from from knowledge to belief. And the beautiful thing is that's our journey with Clarence. Right, he doesn't have any belief, and we watch him acquired the knowledge. Right, we've watched him Ghana ghanea faith. I think it's a really important film.
Speaker 4: So it makes me wonder, right when you talk about Clarence, Clarence saw Jesus early on in the movie, and Clarence said.
Speaker 1: I want that.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah, But what was that was? Did that the attention was? Did that the knowledge of self? The truth?
Speaker 23: Like?
Speaker 1: What was the clout? Clarence sees Jesus coming up with the twelve apostles protective people in the street climbering around him. This, and Clarence saw all the materialistic stuff which a lot of these preachers around today see a lot of preachers today see the Bible as opportunity, a mass, humongous amounts of wealth. So Clarence is in is in the town square with his best friend Elijah. He's walking. He sees Jesus coming in and everyone climbing around him, and he's like, look and they protected. No one messes with them, no one messes with him. And just like, I want to be like that in ten years. I want that kind of presence, Like I want that now right now. So at first he wanted all of the wrong things, all of the wrong things, and he ventures down this.
Speaker 5: Road and figure it out. And that's when it becomes like dmxan belly to me, remember.
Speaker 25: Exactly exactly he's told to kill, to kill, but on that journey of self discovery and redemption, you know, and that happens to all of us.
Speaker 1: We can't tell the story like this, and we be so dare I say ignorant as to holler blasphemy as soon as you see a tale? What should we just tell the stories of Jesus Jesus life. You know what I mean, Like we have to we have to firstly, I believe that we belong in those days, right, but we also have to be able to to look at the three hundred and sixty degree element of Okay, here's here's Jesus. But what was all of the things around it, especially in that day in time? Like why is it?
Speaker 5: Why is it?
Speaker 1: We've never seen ourselves in that day in time ever in the history of the moving image.
Speaker 5: Look like he shouldn't win an Oscar for this, or at least be nominated.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Charlemagne.
Speaker 5: He don't just play Clarence, he plays his brother.
Speaker 1: And Thomas in the Bible was a twin. Here's the thing that is, because you know, it's interesting, like people don't read the Bible that much. They speak about Thomas was a twin. His name Didimus meant twin, so they were calling him twin all the time, but no one ever speaks about whether he had a twin brother or the Bible doesn't speak aout whether we have a twin brother or twin sister. Right, He's just just a twin, so we didn't even we know him as doubting Thomas. We didn't even know he was a twin. He's actually a twin. So the so the Book of Clarence is like my depiction of Thomas's twin brother.
Speaker 4: Did he did you have him played Thomas to highlight the polarities within ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my brother, exactly right, and the conflicts that we have within ourselves. And also you know, just being growing up the way we all grew up, right, Like we weren't with Charlemagne in South Carolina. We were with you and watching you for years, right, so we all grew up the same and we have these internal conflicts and internal struggles all the time between doing right and doing good and also what is actually right and what is what should I stand and fight or shall I walk away from this one? So so Thomas shows that polarity. But I'm glad you said, like Lakeith what you said about Lakeith's performance, because it's amazing.
Speaker 5: It was incredible always, hands down.
Speaker 10: It made me believe every aspect of every character he played, whether it was his brother, whether it was him at the club, or whether it was him whether he was facing whether it's trials and tribulations, the love scene. It made me believe to the point where you ever see a movie, but like, there's no other person that could have played that part.
Speaker 5: That's what I felt like with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know me only keep it had all little petty issues back and forth in this game, right, But it's just like he is serious enough but also comedic enough to pull off what you did absolutely in this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense exactly, Like he has all of the all of the Oh I'm looking at looking more smooth and let me just touch my face. It was looking too smooth over there. I don't even look off camera. Everybody said, I know you don't have no lights, dudes.
Speaker 5: I said, I said, no Lightskin Brothers, sell me goes.
Speaker 1: That's why I loved it.
Speaker 5: There was skin brother and I like, damn no lights.
Speaker 1: Skin Brothers and Biblical times they came later.
Speaker 10: We got more with James Samuel, the writer and director of Books of Clarence and Don't Move.
Speaker 5: It's to Breakfast Club. Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 10: Everybody's envying Charlamagne the god we are. The Breakfast Club is still kicking it with James Samuel. He's the writer and director of the new film Book of Clarence Starr and Leakeith Stanfield Charlamage.
Speaker 4: My wife had a question, She was like, what was the logic behind having Mary Magdalene at the Last Supper but then covering her up?
Speaker 1: But she was, you know, like, I just think have a last Supper that depicted Mary Magdalene because Mary Magdalene was was around Jesus lot and Jesus was the one person that knew. He was the only person that knew that that was the last Supper, So I just thought, well, he may have Mary then. Also, I think that last Supper scene for me is really important because usually when they showed Judas, they never ever give gradients to Judas. Judas is just known as a man that betrayed Jesus. But Judas was chosen to be one of the apostles. The fact that Judas was there, Judas was probably a good guy that done one bad thing. It's not like he had a history of evil, right, So I wanted to I wanted to show his possible reasons.
Speaker 4: For doing at because I always say you shouldn't judge people based off what they do when they're in survival mode exactly.
Speaker 5: But what about would you do something and this is Judas, it's Judas.
Speaker 1: Wow, So I wanted to show like why he was doing it. He says in the film we're revolutionaries, we're not pacifists. Why we fight and just show its frustrations played excellently by Michael Ward from to Boy. And also you know, just to have these English actors with these American actors and it's just an amazing thing.
Speaker 5: Man, Where did you shoot that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Because when I watch movies now, I watch it from a different lens.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 10: I watch it for the movie lens, but I also watch everything around it, right, and I'm looking at how real it looks and the time it must take and set directid where did.
Speaker 1: You shoot that? I shot him the material in Italy. It's like the fourth oldest inhabited city in the world. Right, It's thousands of years old. The caves are still live from when they were living in caves, and you could do it aerial three sixty and still be an ancient Jerusalem. Mel Gibson shot Passion of the Christ there and No Time to Die the last James Bond movie, The opening was shot there. But the city's so amazing. I just knew that if I have black people descend on this town, it's just gonna look like something we've never seen before.
Speaker 5: I would say, based on just subject matter.
Speaker 4: Because you did mention passionate the Christ, how would you say the Book of Clarence it differs from the passion of the Crist.
Speaker 1: Well, the passion of Christ is the story of Jesus right of his last days. The Book of Clarence isn't the story of Jesus at all.
Speaker 11: Is it not?
Speaker 5: Though that's what we wonder, is it not?
Speaker 1: Is I like that you say it because you've seen it, right, You've seen it, so it's probably the story of the God in us right. But what I wanted to do with the Book of Clarence was making a movie that resembled the environment that I grew up in. You know, growing up I watched Ben heard the Ten Commandments, quote Artist Samson and Delilah the Rogue, the greatest story ever told. I never know no one that looks like yul Brynner as the Pharaoh in each I never know no when it looks like Charlton Heston. Charlton Heston had the brutal kind of good looking dude, but brutal kind of face when he says, get your paws off me, you damn dirty ape. You can see the apes be like, Wow, you're being really racist. We were just capturing you. You're actually taking it to new levels. I never related to what they were showing me, even though we were familiar with some of the stories, and never related to the depiction of those stories or those people in those in those stories. I wanted to shoot to tell a story of the environment that I grew up in. Charlemagne's name is Charlemagne and the God it's from the Hord in South Carolina, like we grew up with with gods like peace, Peace to the God, Peace to the God. That's how we grow up. I wanted to I wanted to tell that story by transport of an every man right and every man who finds faith finds redemption. Whereas the Passion of Christ is a story of Jesus per se. It's like pages taken from the from the Bible.
Speaker 4: These are more like you always could be yours could be the real story, because it's like we all know Jesus was black, right, and they would never tell us if he really was.
Speaker 5: We know how to colonize it works, So how do we know the Book of c is it the actual story of Jesus when people saw that story and said, no, no, no, this is gonna be the image of it.
Speaker 1: Though just for everyone at home, Charlemagne said that I did.
Speaker 17: I'm like, for the.
Speaker 1: Record, no, Charlemagne, you are absolutely wrong. But but I mean, you know those ones. If cilluloid Choe fits the Book of Clarence, it's I mean, it's a it's a layered film.
Speaker 5: And you score everything yourself. Say you score everything yourself.
Speaker 1: I do the entire score. I composed the entire score myself. That's your song at the end. Yeah. I write and produce every single song in the soundtrack, and I write, produce, and perform. Unlike the Holiday four, where I did a slew of various artists, this is one. I perform every song, but with various artists. But the soundtrack is amazing. The Holtiday Full Soundtrack won every award that wasn't racist and then and I think the awards just got amnesia, Like you didn't even nominate that hardly for for nothing. Okay, I don't make I don't make art for hardware. But the Book of Clarence soundtrack, which released Friday same day as a movie, is the hardest soundtrack on the planet. It's like myself, I got D'Angelo and jay Z on the same track.
Speaker 5: How did that happen? You gotta you gotta break that down.
Speaker 1: Seconds because it's just biblical, soulful bliss. Remember the joints. I was like, I'm not doing a radio edit for this joint.
Speaker 5: Thanks James, I'm gonna have to do it myself.
Speaker 1: Forget it. Thank you Friday, give me the dj Envy edit. It's just that good.
Speaker 5: How long is jay Z's verse?
Speaker 1: If the song is nine minute jay Z's it's not one of those ones like God did Okay, he was like spoken speaking on it. He's not like rapping these He's not rhyming, he's he's like he's just talking on it like a He just comes in and floats and DiAngelo goes in. So it's just that good. As you know. George Benjo on the soundtrack eighty four years old. These a guy that sings oh hoy yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Uh those your cat on the soundtrack on the same song as Kodak Black Wow and then Charlama Wow. They go in.
Speaker 5: I love both of them.
Speaker 4: Kodak goes in, wow, you took black people to the Old West. You took black people to the New Testament. Where you're taking us next?
Speaker 1: What's next? I don't know, Like, well, I know what we're doing next?
Speaker 23: Is this?
Speaker 1: I've kind of held it under my hat. But eventually, though, we have to go to space. We have to, we have to. We have to go to space, like I'll go to all the genres, right, all the genres, and I have something like modern day, which is which is absolutely crazy. But eventually we have to go to we have to go to space like we deserve to be in these in these places.
Speaker 4: Wow, well I'm excited for you guys to go out and check out this. Yeah, man, this is one of the ones you gotta go to the theater. It's not too many films that get me out the house to want to go sit in the movie theater. This is one of the ones you to go sit and watch in the movie.
Speaker 6: You have to.
Speaker 1: You have to, man, you have to. It's a it's a pleasure being on the breakfast club and speaking to this to the audience that you amassed over the over the years and telling them about the book, Clarence man, like this is the first movie of its kind ever literally ever, so before you know you holler blasphemy. Really just watch the film first, like it doesn't blasphere me, you know it really it really respects respects faith. You're not going to come out this movie question in your faith. But if you're a non believer, you may come out of this movie question in your non belief. You know what I mean. It may come out this movie question in your number belief. But it's you know, it's a beautiful film, and it's a film that we all have to I think watch. It's the first movie that everyone can recognize the environment, even if you're white, you can recognize this environment. It's environment you drive by every day, whatever you know, whatever color you are. And it's a movie that most importantly we deserve. We deserve this film, you know what I mean.
Speaker 10: So well, The Book of Clarence comes out this Friday, January twelfth. James Samuel, we appreciate you for joining us, brother.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you for having me. Charlemagne and Black Guard Old the Black Guard, Bige.
Speaker 5: I'm black. There's no bage in black. It's the breakfast club. Good morning. Let's get right to the rumors.
Speaker 1: All out of names or you've gossip beat. This is the rumor report.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess we're on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: This is where the tea.
Speaker 10: Spells right right now, we got a salute Angela Bassett. Last night was the fourteenth Governor's Awards And like the unlike other award show where they it's kind of fast paced, this award serramonial ceremony takes time to actually celebrate the living legends in the industry. It's not televised, it's for the industry. And last night they celebrated Angela Bassett. But before we get there, Angela Bassett actually came on The Breakfast Club one time and Charlemagne asked her about validation from awards and award shows like that.
Speaker 5: Does Angela Bassett need the validation of any don't.
Speaker 30: Like val You know what Angela Bassett wants need to keep working well, to do Yeah, to do the work that I love doing. You know, awards are nice, super nice, They're great, But awards are awarded by men, and you know, some awards are undeniable. Maybe some of the awards they give your life of that season, of that year, of those offerings. Some stand above and beyond, but sometimes it's it's it's all about equal and all good. So you know how you pick one. I appreciate the awards, but I don't. I don't live and breathe for him.
Speaker 5: Last.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the beauty of being on the radio for fourteen years, because there's a breakfast club conversation for every situation, every situation, it's a jay Z lyric for every moment in life. There's a breakface club conversation for damn near every situation. Absolutely well. Last night, Angela Bassett was awarded in honorary. Oscar and Regina King presented her the award.
Speaker 20: I was blessed to work with Angela in two beloved films, How Stella Got Her Groove Back and Boys in the Hood. My sister and I for cross paths on a little show called two two seven, only to later have our coming out party in the same film John Singleton's Boys in the Hood. Now. Little did Angela know that Reva Styles would send her on a path to embody some of the most significant women of the civil rights movement and become one of the most in demand actresses of the next thirty years on screens big and small. She has mesmerized us in over one hundred roles She has a prospective and a voice and a beauty that is proudly black. She is artistic excellence embodied in human form.
Speaker 4: Listen, man legend icon. Those words don't do justice to Angela Bassett. All right, She's a goddess. When I see Angela Bassett, I want to bow. Okay, I love her and her husband Courtney b. Vance incredible black people. And in the words of Courtney B. Vance, don't you, as long as you black, not pay homage to Angela Bassett. We got Angela on the wall big too in the back right. Okay, have you never seen the collage every man Justin Richberg.
Speaker 5: Did next to Kendrick and in between Lewis Farak.
Speaker 4: Khun, Angela Bassett and Kendrick Labar. I was just wall with Harryvan get donek we Herdy finished his walk people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, she did accept her award.
Speaker 10: And when she accepted her award, people are talking about the kiss that she gave Regina King because her and Regina King kissed on her lips like woh god right, But here is Angela Bassett's acceptance speech.
Speaker 15: Never allow fear, frustration, or disappointment to get in the way of the blessings that are divinely and deservedly yours.
Speaker 18: Remember who you are and who our ancestors intended you to be. I proudly share this honor with women who stand up when they are told to stand back, to speak up when they are silenced, who remain determined.
Speaker 1: When they are told they are defeed it.
Speaker 18: These women represent those that I've had the honor to portray, as well as the everyday woman who surround us.
Speaker 5: To keep striving makes you feel like you could do anything.
Speaker 4: Imagine her telling you to wash your ass, but she doing it in such a profound way, like she was just doing you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You just came in from working out, you stink, You gotta get fresh, and she's just guiding you wash your ass. King, take that soap off from the counter, put it on the washcloth, and make.
Speaker 17: Sure you scrub if you use a washcloth. White people, this is not for you, loofer. It's not a loof for loo for no, I said, louf for you, said Luther.
Speaker 5: Luther. Luthor's the hamburger sandwich with the donut buns, I said.
Speaker 4: Loo, say Luthor, I said, Lufa amble Vandrosky.
Speaker 5: That's what we heard you say.
Speaker 10: All right, well we got to congratulate. Oh we ain't got more time. Let's congratulate Don Lemon. He announced this new show. He has a new show that's going to be on the X formerly known as Twitter. So episodes, will it be available there first, that it will release on other platforms. It's a newscast. It's going to be thirty minutes long. There's no premier date as of yet. But congratulations to Don Lemon.
Speaker 4: That's interesting because it was Ex's first show to Tucker Carlson Show. Right, so now he got Don Lemon. So mean they got a conservative, they got a liberal. That's balance, Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 10: And he made a statement yesterday he said I've heard you and today I'm back, bigger boulder and freer.
Speaker 1: What's freer or freer? Freer?
Speaker 5: Yes, can't get no free in Don Don dry on New Year's Eve. Ain't nothing more free than Don lemy. Okay, Don gets free? That's right, you hear me?
Speaker 8: He does.
Speaker 4: By free, I mean gay drop on the clue bump for Don Lemon. There ain't no body fred in big Don. Let me be free, all right? And that is your room or report now where you give me a donkey too, man. Listen, man, Donkey of today for after the hour. It's a teachable moment. It needs to go to the NBA Young Boy. I don't know if this is old or new. We just got back from vacation, you know what I mean. But I saw him sitting down with my man bootlet caps. I'd like to have a conversation with the young man NB.
Speaker 5: A young boy. All right, we'll get to that next.
Speaker 4: It don't move.
Speaker 5: It's the breakfast club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, the breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 12: Your extract share on the Donkey of the day is something to go for you.
Speaker 5: The reason they gave me Donkey of other day and I deserve that.
Speaker 12: You need to know.
Speaker 5: You need to tell them. I am you tell them it's turn for Donkey of the It's a read, but you're so good at it.
Speaker 6: Damn sol man who gives a dunky other day too?
Speaker 18: Now?
Speaker 4: Man, Yes, donkey today for Wednesday, January tenth goes to the young man known as the NBA Young Boy. Now, NBA young Boy recently sat down and had a conversation with the good brother bootle keV drop on a clues bombs of Bootleg keV the Bootley cav Podcast. keV is phenomenal at what he does. Been my guy for a long time. I've been singing Kev's praises in this media business for a decade or better.
Speaker 5: So it's great to see him shining. I slew th to my guy.
Speaker 4: But back to who he was having a conversation with the Young Brother, NBA Young Boy. Now, if you're at familiar with NBA Young Boy, he's very popular, been popular for a long time amongst the youth them. I respect what he's built for himself. He seems to live a very secluded life. He seems to be pretty out the way he lives in Utah, which his music.
Speaker 5: Out of minds.
Speaker 4: His business cool but snapp of fact about the NBA Young Boy, he has eleven kids, Okay, yes, eleven churn and he's twenty four years old. He's won away from having as many as Nick can. And the difference is Nick's forty three, NBA Young Boy is twenty four right now. NBA Young Boys kids can almost fill out an entire NBA team roster. If he keeps going at this place, he will be the not so proud owner of two NBA teams by the time.
Speaker 5: He's forty eight.
Speaker 4: Wait, Uncle Sharla, what do you mean not so proud owner? Well, this is why we are here today, folks.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 4: NBA Young Boy spoke about fatherhood because Bootleg cav asked him about fatherhood.
Speaker 5: Let's go to bout Lake's podcast report. Please, you do have a lot of children.
Speaker 31: You know, I've been around you to see in a short amount of time that you're a great father. How important is fatherhood to you?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 23: Not really big on it?
Speaker 1: To be honest, What do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: You're not big on it like you're I mean you're a family man. I'm here with you, I see it.
Speaker 23: Yeah, but I'm only I'm only like in here because you will.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't believe it's a.
Speaker 23: Crazy topic because I'm not the type like the sugar coat man. But I'm full walls oh day every day.
Speaker 31: When you say four walls, you locked in. Yeah, just honed in on the music.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has eleven kids, but in his words, he's not really big on fatherhood. NBA Young Boy treating fatherhood the way the NBA is. Nicola Jokis treats the NBA. You hear Joker talk about basketball at the same level. It don't give a f that NBA Joki has about basketball and being a young boy seems to have about being a father to his eleven kids. I shouldn't have to tell y'all that one of those things is not like the other. Okay, now, donkey Today is all about giving people the credit they deserve for being stupid. But it's also about using things like this as a teachable moment. I didn't know I would have to say this, but my brothers, that is whack, all right. So many of us come from broken home, so many of us had fathers or mothers that weren't big on having kids. But what bothers me about statements like this is yet NBA Young Boy talks that gangster talk in his records. Not only does he talk that gangster talk, he talks that big money talk. Well, in the words of jay Z, a man that don't take care of his family can't be rich. So don't talk money talk to me. If you're not big on fatherhood and as far as being gangster, you can kill thousands of people in your records, But if you're not big on fatherhood, you not g at all to me. Okay, what did the Liana state The caine in Minister of Society kine, I'm pregnant.
Speaker 5: You man enough to take a life, you ain't man enough to take care of one. That's right. You mad enough to take a life, but you not man enough to take care of one. Okay.
Speaker 4: And what was absolutely insane to me It was when Bootleg keV said the NBA young boy, you are a family man from what I see, and young boy says, I'm I'm only in here because you're here, as if he was just using the kid as a problem for the conversation, Like, young boy, I had a proseecond me consultation this week. Okay, my wife wants me to cut the cable. You should do everyone in the biggest favor and probably do the same, Okay.
Speaker 5: I don't know. At what point do you realize you not big on fatherhood?
Speaker 23: Is it?
Speaker 5: After child? One fish, two fish, three fish, blue fish?
Speaker 23: Like?
Speaker 5: Why do you have eleven children?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 4: Did it take eleven children to get to the point to say you not big on fatherhood? Listen, we are in the era of generational curse breaking. Okay, those dysfunctional cycles we had to deal with. We the generation as supposed to break those and by the way, we are. Okay, let's not get a twitch because the NBA Young Boy facts seventy percent of black fathers who live with their children were most likely to have babe dress changed or help their child with the toilet every day, compared with their white and Hispanic counterparts. White is sixty percent, Hispanic is forty five percent. And that's according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Preventions National Healthatistics Report. Okay, those black fathers are also more likely to have eaten the meal with their children. Okay, the data has showed, and yes, these numbers are high. The data shows not just for biological fathers living inside the home, but it also indicates that black fathers often step into the role of step parent are maintained consistent involvement when living outside the home.
Speaker 5: And that's not coming from me. Don't listen to me. I got a lisp.
Speaker 4: Okay, that came from doctor Er Longer Turner, a licensed psychologist and associate professor of psychology at Peperdine University in Malibu, California.
Speaker 5: Don't let NBA Young Boy fool you.
Speaker 4: There's a myth of the missing black father because once again, stats show that close to seventy percent of all births to black mothers are non non marital okay, which gives rise to the stereotype that black fathers are largely absent. However, while black fathers are less likely than white and Hispanic fathers to marry their child's mother, many black fathers continue to parent through cohabitation and visitation, providing caretaking, financial and kind support. Young boy, you getting to the money, so you got the resources. But let me tell you something, King, that money don't mean as much as your time.
Speaker 5: Okay. You need to be big on fatherhood, all right.
Speaker 4: You don't have the luxury of not being big on fatherhood because no present is better than your presence. And you can't just physically be there to be present, you have to mentally and emotionally be there, be the adult you need it as a child. And look, man, and being a young boy, ill shoot him bare. He's only twenty four. I don't know the age of his oldest child, but I know that NBA, young boy is only twenty four. Your full frontal cortex hasn't even fully developed yet. That's a fact. Okay, the rational part of his brain won't be developed until he's twenty five. But I'm encouraging that young brother to do better now because the father's impact on child development is everything. Okay, and you have eleven children, those are your greatest responsibilities. Never broke again. Shouldn't just be about finances. It should be about homes. If you come from a broken home, you should make it your duty to never want to be a part of a broken home ever again. Sometimes we subconsciously become what we hate. We know that children who grow up with apsing fathers can suffer lasting damage.
Speaker 5: They're more likely to.
Speaker 4: End up in poverty, or drop out of school, become addicted to drugs, have a child out of wedlock, or end up in prison. That's why you have to be big on fatherhood, NBA Yellow Boy, especially since you got the opportunity to be king. You're alive, You're actually here for your kids physically, you're not in prison. You are here, able and capable of taking care of those eleven charen all right. When you make a decision to have a child, you're also making a decision to take responsibility for that child. You have eleven responsibilities and you cannot abandon your obligation as a parent because you have other plans. Like the music can't come before the children. The money can't come before the children.
Speaker 5: It just can't.
Speaker 4: No matter how big you think you doing it, you're not doing it big at all. If you not big on fatherhood, please give NBA young boy the biggest he all just the teachable moment. Man, Come on, man, we gotta be big on fatherhood now.
Speaker 10: Uh just want to tell you. You said he's you know he's in Utah. Well, he's on house, arrested in Utah. That's why he's out the way. He can't he's he can't leave the house. That's why he's in Utah. And I'm gonna try that at home tonight. When my kids come up to me and say that they're hungry, I'm gonna be like, I don't feel like fathering today.
Speaker 4: You don't feel like being Well, he didn't say he don't feel like being fathering. He actually he's not big on fatherhood. That's I'm gonna tell I'm not bad on fatherhood today.
Speaker 5: No, you're not. You're not gonna do that.
Speaker 4: When my daughter has to go to dance, I'm like that's your mom to drive you not.
Speaker 5: You know why you're not. I'm not you know why you're not gonna do that today. You're not gonna do that because you know better. When the baby comes in, her panther gotta be changing.
Speaker 4: Like that because you know better. But once again, like I said, I shoot him a little bit of beout. He's twenty four years old. Forefront of cortext don't develop till you're twenty five. The rational part of his brain not even working yet. We don't know what hell could be causing, you know, his brain not to be logically processing things the way that it should. But listen, I just want to tell all brothers out there, because this ain't just about n being a young boy. You have to be big on fatherhood. Okay, and there's a myth of the missing black father. Black fathers are here and we are showing up for our children. You heard the status that I just read. Okay, okay, seventy that's a big number.
Speaker 10: But let's let's open up the phone line because there's a lot of brothers out there that are big on father with good dad game.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's a it's a huge good dad Now I'm just joking.
Speaker 27: You know.
Speaker 10: I take care of my kids. I love my kids. I take my kids everywhere they need to go. I make sure i'm there. I try to nourish them. I try to give them everything I possibly can, more than my dad gave me that he knew more than I can afford, whether it's financial opposed to every generation. Absolutely, and my my father and my mother are there for my kids as well. But let's open up the phone line. So all the good dads out there.
Speaker 4: Everybody has a big on fatherhood. If you're big on big on fatherhood, reach out.
Speaker 5: And touch us.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 10: Eight hundred and five eight five one, oh fathers. I'm talking to all the girl dads out there. I'm talking to all the fathers out there, and make sure they take care of the kid, whether you're with the mom or not, that you are there for your child. I'm talking about the dads to do the stupid girl dad the cheer with your daughter.
Speaker 5: I do it too. I did it yesterday. I want to see the chair me and my daughter put together. It was to be put a ring on.
Speaker 4: Like no, no, that's what as long as that like mother, but the ring yeah, ring on the Yeah, me and my daughter, ladies, ladies single ladies.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I don't remember the song. It was a TikTok dance, but anyway, Yeah, I'm nice with it. I could do the You sure you ain't the mom? Are you positive?
Speaker 23: Well?
Speaker 5: We sure? I don't know what you identify as anymore?
Speaker 9: Sure?
Speaker 10: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five on you know, my daughter asked if babies come out the butt?
Speaker 4: All right, man, all of everybody that's big on fatherhood callers right now now to answer that. One hundred and five five one oh five is to breakfast Baby.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: It's topic time eight hundred five five one five one to join into the discussion with the Breakfast.
Speaker 10: Club more than everybody. It's DJ n V Charlomagne, the guy. We are the Breakfast Club nephew just joining us. Charlemagne gave the dog kid today to young boy.
Speaker 5: And a young boy.
Speaker 4: A young boy and be a young boy, you know what I mean. But you got to use opportunities like this is a teachable moment and being a young boy. He said he wasn't big on fatherhood. Let's play the clip.
Speaker 31: You do have a lot of children, you know, I've been around you just to see in a short amount of time that you're a great father. How important is fathering to you?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 1: You're not really big on it, to be honest, what do you mean by that? You're not big on it like you're.
Speaker 5: I mean you're a family man. I mean here with you, I see it.
Speaker 23: Yeah, but I'm only I'm only like in here because you live.
Speaker 31: Oh well, I don't believe.
Speaker 23: It's a crazy topic because I'm not the type like a sugar coat man. But I'm full walls. Oh the.
Speaker 31: Every day when you say four walls, you locked in. Yeah, just honed in on the music.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So yeah for me man, I got bootleg cap too. That was on the bootlet Cap podcast. But for me, whenever I see you know, narratives like that, what tends to happen is, you know, all of these people they run with that headline and they amplify stories like that. So it's just like, Yo, that is a myth, the stereotip, the myth of the missing black father is exactly that.
Speaker 5: It's a myth.
Speaker 4: I read the stats during Donkey of the Day let Me find them again. Seventy percent of black fathers who live with their children and most likely to have babe dress changed or help their child with the toilet every day compared to white people sixty percent compared to Hispanics forty five percent. That's from the US Centers for Disease Control. Those black fathers are also more likely to have eaten the meal with their child, and those black fathers aren't even just biological fathers inside the home, but also indicates that black fathers often step into the role of step parent are maintained consistent involvement when living outside the home. So black fathers, man, a lot of us are big on fatherhood. So let's have all of the brothers that are big on fatherhood calling right now.
Speaker 10: That's right, eight hundred and five eighty five, one on five one. And you should be big on fatherhood. You should be taking care of your kids. You should be doing more an extra It should be less about you and more about nurturing your child. And if anybody knows me personally, you know all of my children nine times out of ten because I always have them with me. I take every opportunity to teach to have my kids. I will miss party shows to make sure my kids games recitals. I do the dances with my kids, We play taboo, monopoly, we do anything possible.
Speaker 5: I love my kids.
Speaker 10: That's the one thing I would say in this world that gives me my first joy is being with my family, my kids.
Speaker 5: It's no better joy than that.
Speaker 4: You ever have a bad day and then you pick up your baby from daycare and she come running too you.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Charleman, you know how that feels?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: Red?
Speaker 5: Do you know how that feels? And I was listening to you.
Speaker 4: I said, if you have even a remotely bad day and you pick up your child from daycare, you come home and that child runs to you like it's the first time she's seen you in years.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I love that every God every day.
Speaker 10: All right, Well let's go to the phone line. We got Calvin on the line. Calvin, good morning.
Speaker 9: Hey, what's up man?
Speaker 8: How's gone?
Speaker 17: Hey?
Speaker 5: Calvin? Good morning. We're talking about fatherhood. You big on fatherhood?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's televin, so you have not, Calvin.
Speaker 9: I that's.
Speaker 8: I'm big on fatherhood. My My My take on like when NBA Young Boy was saying, Conder is like, when you don't have that fatherhood example, you don't know the severity of like what's going on or like the imagey hold in front of your kids. You know, me and my says mother in together, but we're both super active in his life. And you know, I found somebody that's a good role model for him as well. So it's just it's all about who you put in your child's life and the importance that you hold to you know, the word fatherhood also, and it's like Charlemagne was saying, we got a lot of broken home, so for him to be never broke against, you know, definitely apply to a broken home.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 10: That might be part of the reason why he feels like that, Like you said, maybe his dad is not in his life, so he doesn't know what to do or what how to feel, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I remember reading one time, I think his I think his father got like fifty plus years in prison. Oh really, I think for like, I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, I thought I read that before. But you know, somebody can school me, you know, but listen, if you're big on fatherhood, call us right now.
Speaker 5: Man, go through the phone. Let's talk to the brothers that's big on fatherhood. Burnett, Yo, what's up? What's up?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: We're asking are you big on fatherhood?
Speaker 4: Brother?
Speaker 11: Absolutely? Man, like the number one job you have as a man, but a black man.
Speaker 5: That's right. Okay, that's all you got for us. Well, whatever you are, that's right.
Speaker 11: Things they work on with the mom and I at that time were yell with me. All everything was about them at that point. It makes you want to be a better person, change your life, make sure that they don't struggle, and prepare for whatever the will have going home.
Speaker 5: That's right, man.
Speaker 25: You know.
Speaker 4: I read some stats during Donkey of the Day about how you know, close to seventy percent of all births to black mothers are non marital, non marital. But that makes people think that black fathers are largely absent. But it says that black fathers are less likely than white and Hispanic fathers to marry their child's mother. But all of those black fathers continue to parent well. Many of them continue to parent through cohabitation and visitation, and they provide caretaking, financial and incon supports. Even though you may not be married to the mother your child, you're still there for your children, and that's what's important. At the time when all.
Speaker 11: My kids were ball, we were we got divorced. Cacle God, I was there.
Speaker 1: I saw it all.
Speaker 5: Got you, bro, Thank you brother, Thank you, brother, doubt. Hello, who's this to star Share?
Speaker 13: Gone from Jersey?
Speaker 17: Hey?
Speaker 5: What's up?
Speaker 17: Brother?
Speaker 5: We're talking about being big on fatherhood. You big on fatherhood?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I'm big on fatherhood. When I first had my son and changed my life completely. Before my son, I was walking around gang banging. I used to walk around with a thirty eighth.
Speaker 25: For no reason.
Speaker 13: When I found out have my son, I went and got my license because it's the winter time. There's no way I'm getting on the bus with a newborn baby. Had to go back to school's trade school for electrical Now I'm working for a big company, bringing in decent money for my family, and I have another new born on the way.
Speaker 5: Congress.
Speaker 13: That never happened to me. The best thing every day I come home, I look forth to just giving my son a hug, like there's no better business at coming home and get kids waiting right there here, like I still get my son's kitsches because I know what you get older, he's gonna start pushing me away. But I'm enjoying every bit of that while I can, that's vastly to have.
Speaker 9: It happened to me.
Speaker 13: And my father was the one that said that example for me because he was the great father, great provided so I had to follow his footsteps.
Speaker 1: It's only right, all right, bro, have a go on.
Speaker 4: You know something that he said that was key man like, he said, he's had a great father, he learned from his father, so he saw it. And I think that's that's what's so remarkable to me about so many black men that I know, man, so many black men didn't have that example themselves, but somehow or another, we figured out a way to be better than what we saw.
Speaker 10: Right, you know, So salute to us, and that's how we should be. And it never gets old. I mean even at at my age and my dad's in his eighties. If something happens or something's wrong, my dad pulls up, he's there immediately, he's the first one there.
Speaker 5: What's up.
Speaker 10: I'm there, I'm dad, I'm I'm riding. So salute to all the black dads out there. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five on. We're talking fatherhood this morning, and the question eight hundred five eight five one oh five one, what's the question, Charla.
Speaker 4: Mine, are you big on and it's not about being big on fatherhood. I want all the brothers that are big on fatherhood to call in. It's not a question if you big on fatherhood, like we big on fatherhood. We love being father's call in right now. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: In the morning. If y'all talking about it, you know we talking about it.
Speaker 2: It's topic times called eight hundred five eight five one five one to join into the discussion with the breakfast Club.
Speaker 10: Warning everybody, it's DJ NV Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. Now if you're just joining us. Charlamagne gave Donkey of the Day to NB a young boy.
Speaker 4: Why because then be a young boy said he's not big on fatherhood, man, you know, and he's got eleven kids.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. You don't have a choice.
Speaker 4: Okay, you got eleven responsibilities whether you want to have those responsibilities or not. So you know, I want everybody that's big on fatherhood, man, all the brothers that's big on fatherhood reach out and touch us right now.
Speaker 5: Hello, Terrence, I'm doing this morning.
Speaker 4: We're doing good.
Speaker 5: Brother. We're talking about being big on fatherhood is that you.
Speaker 11: Number five in a decade. Man, you can pull me up on my Instagram post is me and my kids and my wife got four been late thirty one years, We got twins, a thirty year old daughter. Everybody went to college, everybody went to grad school, got their masters, and I came home from prison and just stuck with them. So my profile picture you can put up on Instagram. Instagram charlemanea envy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my Instagram is see the god C T H A g O D.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, y'all follow me, man, I'm miss stuck at four point five million followers for a while.
Speaker 5: Follow me on this.
Speaker 11: I want, I wanted you to put on my profile picture. We see the post earthquake shit ed me on mind?
Speaker 9: I got what is it?
Speaker 11: Terrris t E r r E n c E F is number one?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 5: How old are you?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 5: You said you should be on Facebook? How old are you?
Speaker 11: Oka? Fifty one?
Speaker 5: Fifty one? I'm right behind you on forty five? What is the te terrors?
Speaker 20: What not?
Speaker 5: Slow down from you now?
Speaker 11: T E R R E and ce e V and the number one?
Speaker 5: Okay ev one? All right now we cooking.
Speaker 11: Let me see You'll see I took a picture twenty years ago when I just got when they was coming to visit me in prison. They were three years old. They had twenty years later, you see me doing the same picture with my sons. Everybody got on their captain guy and they masters, you put your kids first.
Speaker 1: Wow wow wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 11: If you put your kids first, you know what I'm saying. The good things that happened.
Speaker 5: What's beat a movement?
Speaker 9: Brother?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 11: That's because if you look up the website Beat the movie that was. I know Donna Rollers probably told you about the Twins, the Black Excellent Twins and VCU, yep, that was that was my son. They were going to school when we partnered up with the school to bring more kids because black fans didn't know VCU had black doctors up there, so they we did videos to bring more kids to the school. So we partnered up with the school so they can graduate with no you know, without old and all that money.
Speaker 5: So we ran.
Speaker 11: We had started up to sixteen seventy thousand dollars in T shirts, but we was getting a lot of contracts from businesses. But they wanted to change my son's image. They want them to do black education stuff. They wanted them to do street stuff. So my sons walked away from me. Man.
Speaker 4: I'm about to make a donation of y'all right now. I love this picture, man, this is a beautiful picture. You in prison with your kids when they young.
Speaker 11: Did you know the funny thing, y'allie, Man, I share the picture with my wife. We was all together. The Internet took the picture and said the dad come home and raise his kids. By itself, they changed the image of my whole family, and earthquake shared it. So what I did was just change the wording. Because my wife and one took the picture. She was she wasn't even part of their life.
Speaker 9: Wo.
Speaker 5: The Internet did well, congratulated.
Speaker 4: I see the picture.
Speaker 10: You talk about what you with Donna Rawlins as well, Man, beautiful, beautiful fear.
Speaker 11: That's my dog Man. We them get together all the time.
Speaker 9: I love that dude.
Speaker 11: Man, I do anything for him.
Speaker 5: I don't even know who that is. Listen, where can we Where can I make a donation to be the movement?
Speaker 11: Dollar sign Daddy Slam that's my grandfather's name in it.
Speaker 10: De is a dog boy, just DM DM brother. I see, I'll see you with that Ferrari too. Boy, it looked nice too, man, I see you.
Speaker 11: I just follow Oh yeah, man, we was been Den Wallace. I was like they having a ball. You know what I'm saying, So good man, Yeah we Bill Walla. They're only picture too. I got the video, but I never posted it because we're in there with our families. Me down there, Rolins Austin with our families. I ain't never posted.
Speaker 5: Don't don't answer this if you don't want to. You a former dope, boy, yeah, big time.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, I can't. One of the larger than Marjana con still Virginia ever seen big dope?
Speaker 5: Okay, you can pull that up too, start naming a certain name like that. Okay, what part of Virginia Richmond?
Speaker 11: I made new Port News?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 4: Oh you're the Hampton Road so you okay? So you was with getting all them down there?
Speaker 20: You know?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, man, but anybody I was. My party was something of everybody, man, big live. You know what I'm saying, God, please, you're making donation, man, all sign daddy playing I need it.
Speaker 5: I ain't making no donation right now. I gotta make sure that you.
Speaker 11: Got you brother, Get a couple of the man, y'all all the blessed man short of man, I appreciate what bushes I do. You're not scared to claim, you're now scared to let people know you made the station and you groom from him. Brothers. We need to hear stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yes.
Speaker 11: But when y'all came from there, and I love y'all, man.
Speaker 5: Love you too, Man, brothers like you an inspiration to us as well, Man, and shout everybody appreciate them. Ye yes, sir, all right, Well, what's the moral of the story more. All of the story is be big on fatherhood period. Nothingough to talk about.
Speaker 4: And when we come back, we got your room, will report speaking of Dad's boosie.
Speaker 10: He's a little sad because kids are not around, and we'll explain when we come back. It's the breakfast Sunco Morning.
Speaker 4: Up says, we need you to drop that deluxe Man, because we got to play some new Sissor records. Jesus christ Man, we've been playing this record for seventeen years and we've been only been on fourteen.
Speaker 5: We play we played every morning Lord and I loved.
Speaker 4: Don't give you our love, sister. That's my one of my daughter's favorite artists.
Speaker 1: But we need some new music.
Speaker 5: We've got this. Please drop a deluxe is we could get We could play something else off the album. We definitely could.
Speaker 10: All right, morning, everybody be all the breakfast Club. Let's get to the room where we were talking about father. So let's jump into Boosy or you gossip chatty?
Speaker 1: Is the rumor report?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast club.
Speaker 10: This is where the tea spells right right now. We of course we all know Boosy friends of the room. Boosy will talk about everything, He'll make jokes about everything. But the other day he went on live and he talked about how he feels when his kids are not at the house.
Speaker 21: My kids went home today, Bro, I'm kind of sad when my kids go back.
Speaker 1: I be kind of sad.
Speaker 21: Be having me sad, but feeling like I'm a failure that my kids don't live with me. Man, Yeah, me feeling like I'm a failure. I know, Man, it just be I built this home so my kids will live with me. Man trudged me out some.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just wanted to get that horn after the topic is it's just being a dad. It doesn't matter like you want your kids around. It doesn't matter who you are, what you do, what your job is, how much money you make, it doesn't matter at the end of the day with your kids.
Speaker 4: Right, were big on fatherhood especially, You know, when you get to a certain age, you realize, like, that's all life is about.
Speaker 5: Life is about family. That's it, nothing more and nothing less.
Speaker 4: There's nothing that makes me happier on this planet than my wife and my children.
Speaker 5: That's right period.
Speaker 10: Now fifty cent says he has some new ideas. He says, my new idea is so big, I don't have time to be distracted. I'm practicing. I'm practicing abstinence. I've been meditating and focusing on my goals. I hope this new year helps you excel to the next level. Ranch And so fifty is set. He's a practice and abstinence.
Speaker 4: By the way, all fifty is saying is that you have to make sacrifices in order to get to your grade goal. I don't think people realize that. I think we live in this era where people feel like, you know, you can just have.
Speaker 5: It all and do it all.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes we don't realize the trade is if you want more, you got to give up some things. And he's just making sacrifices right now. That's right, it's a great sacrifice.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 10: Glorilla says she started her ninety days celibacy for the New Year's and what.
Speaker 5: She's doing, what's her goal while she's doing this.
Speaker 10: She says, she's on her ninth day and her vision is blurry as f right now. She said, please send help. So I guess that's why your vision blurry.
Speaker 5: What I mean, I don't know. I guess celibacy is not working out.
Speaker 4: She's happened somebody, somebody's school, your old uncle, sh'all. I don't know what that means when your vision your blur because you ain't been getting nothing.
Speaker 5: She just wants something, that's all. Her vision is blurry.
Speaker 1: She just needs something.
Speaker 5: You don't know what you're talking Sometimes you need being even know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 5: How you know you don't know the answer, But you said, I know, I know what you said. Anything answer?
Speaker 1: How you know? I just know you don't.
Speaker 5: I know you you don't know much. You don't know. I do know, you don't know.
Speaker 30: I know, he too.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the problem. You don't know me, you know what. I'm so confused by it. But we spent all last year.
Speaker 4: Rotating guest co hosts, and I thought we was rotating guest goal hosts before we let God decide who was supposed to be in here.
Speaker 5: Now twenty twenty four, what happened? Did we just say it's not gonna be another co host? I can't take talking to you.
Speaker 4: I can't take talking to you either. At first, It's gonna be a couple of months, right, No, it never was gonna be a couple months out, y'all. I did always said a year.
Speaker 5: I thought it was gonna be a couple of months. I don't like you for you to I told you this already.
Speaker 4: I don't want to do that. I don't just talk to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I knew for a year.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, I said, it's gonna take at least a year, because you be you know, Angelie is what I always say, She's irreplaceable, you know what I mean. So it's like the person that's coming here in here is not replacing anyone. If there's somebody coming in here, that's my whole point of having this conversation.
Speaker 5: What the hell happened. You know everything. You tell me this when I'm confused. Now you confused. I don't know what the hell is happening, if anything is happening at all. Yeah, I can't. I can't do this too much longer.
Speaker 11: Just me and you.
Speaker 5: It's just starting.
Speaker 1: Hell's going on?
Speaker 23: Man?
Speaker 5: And you start looking in my eyes just make me feel nervous. I'm not doing that with you this year. I'm not not doing it.
Speaker 10: It's been three days. If we haven't flirted one time, and I'm fine with it. Yo, I'm fine with it. I'm fine with it.
Speaker 9: Yo.
Speaker 5: Yo, it's in three days and I'm fine with it. Just don't look at me. Get your mask, no, no, get your man, get your three whole days.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I just want to know what's going on, man, if anything, because it don't feel like nothing.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like nothing when they know something. It ain't no motion. What's happening, what's happening? That's all all right.
Speaker 4: I just don't know what the hell's going I'm not even I'm not even joking with you. I don't know what the hell is going on. I don't all right, Well that is your rumor. And we said we're just gonna say no, I'm not I'm not doing it. The room is a whole year, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: I'm tired.
Speaker 10: I don't want to getting people's lives and get their relationship and talk about that.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't want to rotate you, yes co host, no more though, I don't want to talk about thank you you know for the commercial.
Speaker 10: That's right, all right, well that is your room report when we come back. We got the People's Choice mixed eight hundred and five eight five five.
Speaker 5: It's the Breakfast Club. Get your ass up, goo morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 5: Morning, Everybody.
Speaker 4: It's j n V. Charlamage to God.
Speaker 5: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Salute to James Samuel again for joining us this morning, Luther James Man. James really is one of my favorite people man, just because his energy is just amazing. Like he reminds me of kind of like a young Kanye with some Kalid and some hole. Like he has that level of confidence and that level of vision and that level of belief in his abilities man, and it translates into his film. You know, I'm sure y'all seen the Heart of day Fall, great great black western and this new movie, The Book of Clarence. Man, he took us from the Old West to the New Testament. This new movie, The Book of Clarence is very layered, very great film starring Lakeith Sandfield, Tianna Taylor and some others. Man, So make sure y'all check that out this Friday, and go check out our conversation with him on Breakfast Club YouTube page right now.
Speaker 10: That's right, And when we come back, we got the positive notice the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning. Everybody is DJ Envy Charlamagne, the guy we are the Breakfast Club. Is time to get up out of here, Charloman, you got a positive.
Speaker 1: Note, I do.
Speaker 4: Man, salute everybody out there on their healing journey, everybody out there that's doing the work on theyself, going to therapy, doing what we need to do to be better. In the visuals. Man, I just want y'all to know that the deeper you heal, the higher you raise the bar on who has access to you. And it's not out of arrogance. It's about protecting the peaceful, calm, drama free life. You've worked so hard to elevate this new chapter requires you to be less successible than any type of toxicity.
Speaker 17: Enjoy your day, breakfast, club, bitches you don't finish, or y'all done.