Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Guiltias Charge Podcast. My name is Stephen and I am the host. In joining me as always is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what I'm going? How you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing very well, Steven, how you doing doing?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 1: Exciting times obviously ahead as the Chargers have begun to interview and request to interview head coaching and GM candidates. It's been an exciting week and obviously the interviews will continue to happen over the next couple of weeks here as we go full steam ahead towards the potential hires of those two positions. So we got a fun show plan for you guys. Today we are going to be joined by mister Jeff Diamond, a former NFL Executive of the Year with the Minnesota Vikings as well as the president of the Tennessee Titans. We were able to pick his brain on the process that the Chargers are undergoing right now, kind of questions, environments, red flags, dues, and don'ts if you will of this coaching and GM search.
Speaker 3: So really excited about that.
Speaker 1: And we'll also talk about the likely retirement of Corey Lindsley. To wrap up today's show, So Tyler excited to dive in as always, but before we do have to say we are fans of the team first and foremost. The opinions that we reflect on the episodes every single week on this channel are not reflective of the opinions of the organization.
Speaker 2: They are ours and ours alone.
Speaker 1: We are fans of the team just like you guys, and are very grateful to have this platform. And hopefully you guys enjoyed the episode, so that bean zaid, Let's get to this interview with mister Jeff Diamond. All right, you guys, so happy now to be joined by mister Jeff Diamond by way of the thirty third Team. Very grateful for them for helping us facilitate this interview. Like I mentioned earlier, Jeff is a former NFL Executive of the Year. He's a former GM of the Minnesota Vikings as well as the president of the Tennessee Titans. So very excited to have him on today to pick his brain about the Chargers process that they're gonna be going through hiring a GM as well as a head coach. Jeff, we can't thank you enough for taking the time to join us today. How are you doing up there in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine, thank you. We've had a fairly mild winner so far, so it's not too bad. But I guess I'd rather be in sunny California with you guys. But maybe maybe later in the winter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, someday, someday we'll go. We'll get on a vacation, maybe potentially in California. Like I mentioned, we're really excited about this. This is going to be a true inside peek into what the conversations that could be going on behind the charters doors from a gentleman who has won a Super Bowl in the NFL as a general manager and the kind of experience he has is gonna be a ton of fun to pick his brain about. So really excited about this, Jeff, I think we'll start with the head coach inside of things here. Obviously the Chargers are doing both searches at the same time. The big question or debate on social media right now has been experience versus like a first time head coach. And so you know, whether you know there are specific candidates out there your former organization let a head coach go today.
Speaker 3: He is very.
Speaker 1: Experienced obviously when it comes from your perspective as an executive, how do you weigh the need for previous head coaching experience versus somebody who's been a coordinator and might be kind of like that that next guy in line, so to speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tough call because obviously, if a guy has head coaching experience, it's a nice thing to have to have been in that seat and have run the team and understand the ins, and also being a head coach in terms of of what's what's expected, how you how you deal with the media, how you deal with a team, t how you handle all the different hats you have to wear as a head coach. But that doesn't mean that there aren't really qualified people that are coming up through the ranks as coordinators or as position coaches or whatever may be. At John Harbaugh, the Ravens maybe the number one team going into the postseason. He was a special teams coach at Philadelphia when he was hired by Baltimore as a head coach, and everybody thought, well, how did that happen? But it certainly has worked out pretty good for the Ravens and for John Harbaugh. And so they come from everywhere. I've seen head coaches, and I've worked with head coaches who have been coordinators. I've worked with head coaches who were college coaches, and started my career working with Bud Grant, a Hall of Fame coach, and he went from being a player right to being a head coach in Canada to being a head coach at the Vikings. So it just depends on what kind of individual you're talking with, what you're looking for. And I think for teams such as the Chargers, they're coming off a year where obviously the defense struggled and Brandon Staley had all kinds of issues, and so do you go offense with a guy like Ben Johnson, who has such good success with Jared Goff in Detroit, or do you go defense and a Dan Quinn or Brian Flores And there are a lot of good candidates. I think you just have to kind of determine what direction you want to go. If you want to go offense, you want to go defense, what you're looking for. Maybe the Chargers just got done with the defensive head coach, now they want to have an offensive head coach. It's just a it's a tough call, but I think ultimately it's such a critical decision for an organization to make the right call. So we'll just see how it all turns out for the Chargers and for these other teams that are in the market right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chargers have certainly started to cast as widened that they've already come up with several different names. They've requested to interview some internal candidates they have already interviewed. How is this interview structured? Because Charges fans, you know, we can pick the names, but once things go behind closed doors, I have no idea what's going on. So how is an interview structured? Walk us through you know what might be happening, Who attends, who does the majority of the talking? Like, what does this look like for a candidate? What are they walking into?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it varies with the situation with the individual. And sometimes you've got current coaches that are coordinators that are coaching during the playoffs, they can do virtual interviews with them as of a certain date, or you have some of the people that are already out there and availables such as the Brian Flores, and they could be brought in for the interview. If it's a coach who's been working with a team. The main people that are going to make the decision the owner the GM. But in this case there's no GM with the Chargers yet. But in often cases it'll be the owner of the GM that will meet with a with a candidate at their site. They'll go to the individual cities, and so yeah, it just varies by different by different people, by different situations, and ultimately it just becomes a situation where the owner and whoever is involved with the owner, it could be a team president whatever, they have to take the time and spend do their due diligence, do their research, and then spend the time with that coach to make that decision. And it could be a college coach. I mean, it could be a Jim Harbaugh. So who knows where they're coming from. It could be anywhere. But I think it's always a very fascinating process and it can be certainly a time consuming process. But yet you have to be very wary of what's going on with other teams. Are they also talking to the top candidates, which a guy like Ben Johnson probably will talk to several teams. So yeah, I think that's really gonna be interesting to see how these all turn out and some of them are gonna be really good hires and some may not be so good, and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, those of us who have had kind of extensive interview processes and outside of football, Like you know, when I got hired as a as a school counselor, I had one interview and then I had a second interview, And in that second interview is like way more in depth, and like they gave me a specific example of like here's this specific student, what would you do in this kind of situation? Is that kind of the same thing that we're talking about for these NFL head coaches, Like is it kind of a general screening, like general philosophies, and then in the second round they'll say, Okay, we have justin we haven't been able to run the football. What are you kind of doing to help us help that issue? Or is it kind of what's the difference between first round and second round interviews that these teams.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes there is no second round first of all, interest, so it depends what the competition is that you're working with. But yeah, oftentimes you'll have a wide range, a wide net you cast with the first group and some of those our phone interviews and so forth, and then you start bringing people in narrow it down to maybe three to five candidates that you actually either will visit in person or that you will fly them in for the interview. And so yeah, I think it's it's obviously gets more in depth if there is a second interview. And I think what's changed over the years is that these coaches come in now with these books on how they're going to do this, and that is they're so well prepared. And I've sat in on a lot of those coaching interviews. I did it with the Vikings during my career, and with my Titans years, I didn't. We did, we had. I worked with Jeff Fisher for those years and he was he was entrenched as the head coach. So I wasn't involved with a coach hire in Tennessee, but certainly in Minnesota I was a couple of times. And yeah, it's just but sometimes it's just a promotion. And for example, one of the first coach situations, Jerry Burns was promoted as head coach when Bud Grant retired and he was the offensive coordinator, so it was a slam dunk easy deal. But when we hired a head coach in nineteen ninety eight, it was a different situation, I'm sorry nineteen ninety two when Danny Green was hired and Pete Carroll was interviewed and everything that was going on there. So yeah, it's just it gets more in depth the further you go. But ultimately it's about the connection between owner and the coach and also the representatives of the owner who are involved. And so yeah, it's, as I said, a really interesting process, but it could be a little cumbersome at times too if you have too many candidates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would imagine I don't any envy anybody who has to make all these decisions and interview so many different people. I'm sure things get cluttered after a while. But do these candidates you talked about the book they might bring in and how prepared they are. Do these candidates walk in the first interview and is the first thing they do pitch themselves? Is there a space for them to do that? Are you or are these decision makers asking, hey, how would you fix our team? Like? How are these candidates pitching that they should be the next coach? Do they get a chance to do that?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I'm sure that that the owner and whoever else is involved is gonna talk to the candidates about what you think of our team. What do you think we need to change? How can we help support Justin Herbert, who's obviously our main guy. What do you think about Austin Ekeler, He's going to be a free agent. He had a great year two years ago, not such a great year this past year. And what do we do with Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack who have thirty plus million dollar salary CAFF figures? Do we restructure them? Do we let one of them go? Mike Williams has been a quality receiver, but the Chargers right now are what thirty some million over the cap next year and they could pick up twenty million with Mike Williams. So you talk to the candidate, how important do you think he is? Have you watched tape of him? And have you watched tape of Quentin Johnston. We know that Keenan All is a great player, and even as he's getting up in years, he's still productive, although he did miss four games this year. So do we need to do and how do you propose that we do? Certain things, and what happened to our defense when we've got all these high priced players We've got both of We've got we've got Kohalil Mack, We've got Derwin James, We've got Eric Hendricks. We've got these guys we're paying and we're what twenty eighth in the league on defense? How does this happen? Well, it's it was a strange ear for the Chargers. We know that it was kind of similar to what I think the Vikings experienced here. And I'm in the Twin Cities and cover the Vikings for local media here, and I think there are a lot of similarities to what happened to these two teams. They both got here with injuries, both got hurt. Herbert got hurt, Mike Williams got hurt. For the Vikings, it was Kirk Cousins, it was justin Jefferson, TJ. Hockinson, DJ want him on defense. It's just it's tough when you lose really good players and people say, well, yeah, you need to have quality depths behind them. Easier said than done when you're talking about Pro Bowl caliber players that these guys are. And so, yeah, the Chargers were already struggling by the time Herbert went down, we know that. But for the Vikings, they were right in the mix when Cousins got hurt and their quarterbacking went down the drain basically in the second half of the season. So it's a tough deal. But the coach and the coach candidates have to address that and just say, hey, what do you think happened here? How can we avoid this in the future. What would you do that fifth pick in the first round coming up? Do you trade down if these teams are looking for quarterbacks and it's a great quarterback draft, do you trade down and get some more help on defense, because obviously you're not going to take a quarterback when you've got an elite guy in Justin Herbert. So there are a lot of things to address. And even though the coach, which is not going to necessarily make the decision on who's drafted, that coach is going to certainly have input.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think you know.
Speaker 1: The alignment aspect of things from the coach and GM standpoint is definitely something that Tyler and I have discussed as kind of being our top priority in this hiring cycle is getting to hires that are on the same page. In that regard, I am curious in terms of the questions like we've heard from NFL prospects like about these like red flag questions that decision makers will ask them in that process. Justin Herbert was asked about like which coach he would punch in the face as a way to like try and figure like, I don't know, weird weird questions like that, right? Is that something that happens with coaches and gms too? Are you trying to identify red flags in this case scenario too, or are you only really focusing in on like positives of the candidates.
Speaker 3: No, you're You're doing your due diligence. You're checking everything out for sure, and if there are already red flags, you want to address it and talk about it. And if it's a major red flag, you're not going to bring the coach in the first place. So absolutely, you don't want any surprises down the road, and you don't want any any candidates that come in that have baggage and have issues and have had difficulty of working with other people. I think one of the things you find in a lot of these successful younger coaches today is how much they put an importance on people skills and working with other with players, working with other coaches. I think that's critical in this day and age that it's not just a yes or no ser deal in the NFL with players or with assistant coaches. You've got to have that synergy with everybody in the organization. And I think we've seen that with teams such as the Giants this year with some of the issues on the coaching staff, that those are the things you definitely want to avoid and you want to get to the bottom of it. Right from Jump Street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. If you had a chance to prepare a coaching candidate for the Chargers, let's say, or any NFL team, what are some of the does and what are some of the don'ts. What are the things that you would say you would recommend, Hey, you should maybe say this or address this or do this to come across as a better candidate. And what are some things you would say, Hey, maybe I wouldn't bring this up, right, I wouldn't recommend going in this direction.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that a lot of it is about interview technique, and I work with players. I work with an agent from out of Minneapolis, and one of the things I do is I train players on interview techniques for the combine, for team interviews when they make visits, and I stress, and I was stressed to a coach too, that watch your body language, keep your cell phone turned off, any number of things in terms of how you present yourself, how you speak. You don't want to be saying twenty five you know's and alms and likes, and so I think you start from there. I would start from there if I was talking with a coaching candidate about an interview, and then I would I would say, do a lot of listening too to what they're asking and what they're looking for, and not just NonStop talk talk talk. You want to get input from them on what they're looking for, what their thoughts are, what they think happened to the team last year. And I think it gives them, the interviewers, a little bit more of a sense that this coach is a team player. And I think that's that's the most important thing along with being professional. And I think those are the key things that I would always stress to any candidate, whether it's a player or coach. Sound advice in general interview.
Speaker 1: In my experience as well, we'll pivot here a little bit and talk about some of the GM questions that we have here. One of the things that Tyler and I have been curious about is, you know, there's so many different roles in NFL front offices obviously, between player personnel and scouting and assistant GM, and there's you know, cap implications here.
Speaker 2: Is there a preferred.
Speaker 1: Like path to becoming a GM in your opinion or is it kind of similar to the coaching thing where they kind of come from different backgrounds.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think it's changed over the years to the point that that the GM gms generally speaking come out of the scouting player personnel side and as opposed to coming out of the administrative or front office or contract negotiators or salary cap people. And so there still are some some people in the league that have that background, but I think generally speaking, it's more taken the road towards the towards the football background, which I don't think necessarily is a better path. If the candidate is very knowledgeable about about the sport, about the NFL, about teams, about building teams, and so I think that you can still find people that are well qualified that have maybe not necessarily played professional football or college football, or coach at the level, or or been a former player personnel director pro personnel director. It's again about how do person presents themselves, how they speak to the to the team team needs, and what their background is, what their knowledge is, what their ability level is. And so I think that that still gms can come from any any lack of life in terms of their background. I absolutely believe that.
Speaker 2: So how do you go then about determining candidate's capacity to handle certain roles or departments that maybe they don't have much experience with. We talked to Ted Seth from SUMER Sports. He said, like, Okay, maybe assistant GM would be the better route because they've done the most things. They might have their hands in the most departments and doing the most things. So how do you go about determining that candidate's ability to handle things that maybe they had no experience with at all.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that again they'll learn and and they'll they'll have help. It's always important to hire a great support staff. Whether you're a head coach hiring assistant coaches or whether you're a GM hiring your support staff, It's always important to have really good people working with you that may have been involved in some of these other areas that may understand the interaction with the trainers and the medical department, with the video people, with the analytics, with all the different departments in an organization. And again, I think it's more incumbent on what their capacity is to work with other people, to delegate authority and to understand and grasp new things that come their way. And yeah, there are a lot of gms that have never done a contract and end up in that seat. Well, then they're going to hire a really good capologists, really good contract negotiat and director of football administration, whatever the case may be, that understands that those areas. And so I think that it's not essential that a GM understand everything about the inner workings of the football areas and all the different departments and so forth, as long as they're willing to learn and understand what is what it's going to take to learn and to delegate the ausority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great point there. I think when we've looked at these candidates, right, I think there's a few ways to kind of try and figure out how to decide who gets like credit for what. It's a little bit more difficult for a guy like Joe Hortes who's been in Baltimore for his, you know, most of his career. So when you're looking at like, you know, figuring out their specific role and like what did they get credit for? What's kind of their their calling card? How do you go about figuring that out?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, first of all, credit, if you win, everybody gets to credit. So but that's the important thing, and that's why a lot of these hangers are going to come from from winning teams because they've been involved with a with a winning culture, and a network culture can be overused. We know that, but but I think that, yeah, that's really important to understand what it takes and and and what a individual has done in the past, who they've worked with, and so yeah, I think that as long as as long as they understand what it takes to be successful, and most of these people that are going to get these jobs as gms or as head coaches have have been successful in the NFL, if not in the last yearly in the last several years, then they they understand that it's teamwork and they're not as concerned about who gets the credit. I think when the egos get overactive, that's when you have problems in organizations. And I've seen that in different organizations I've worked for, and I've seen it with other other organizations that it just is unfortunate as some people and it could be insecurity, it could be paranoia. There are just so many things that go on in NFL teams and NFL organizations and just trying to grab the credit. I think that the smart owners see through that and well understand not to put a lot of stock in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's sometimes credit and there's sometimes blame. And for Chargers fans, and I believe through NFL buzz as well, it seems like Adam Peters is the number one GM candidate around the league. What would you ask him? I know that you know, again we can't assign credit or really even blame for it, but what would you ask him about the trade up for Trey Lance and giving up the four picks for a quarterback that basically barely played for them did not work out? How are you addressing that quote unquote error or mistake and then what they learned from that?
Speaker 3: Of course, well, maybe he's going to blame John Lynch, Hey, I wasn't the GM, so but yeah, I'm sure that he'll probably be asked, how was you're involved in that? And if he's smart, you'll kind of say, yeah, well, it wasn't really my final call. So that's what I would advise him definitely and maybe take more credit for. And you can always to overcome that.
Speaker 1: For example, my last question for you, Jeff, I think you know this everybody's talking about, like ideal destinations, how attractive it is if you know a GM Kennedy or a head coaching candidate came to you and said, hey, what do you think about this Chargers job? Obviously we know some of the pros and cons here, but for you, how attractive would the Chargers be for somebody who came to you for advice?
Speaker 3: Well, I think, first of all, when you've got a franchise quarterback, that's the first priority, and they've got that. Justin Herbert. I saw him and whatever that was week three here at US Bank Stadium, and he killed the Vikings that day and Brian Flora's defense, by the way, with all with a bunch of short passes. I think Keenan Allen, I don't know how many passes he crossed that day, both the fifteen balls or so. But you start with the quarterback, and you start with some really good building blocks, for example, on the offensive line with Slater. You got some really good players and some and some quality players on defense. But you got to make some decisions there with some of the some of the salary cap and some of the age factors with some of those guys, and so there, I think it's an attractive job because there is Justin Herbert and there is a fifth overall pick in the draft that maybe they can paraly that trade it down to some team that wants to get one of those quarterbacks, pick up some extra picks and really choice things up on defense. But yeah, to me, the Chargers are one of the more attractive jobs that are open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Justin Herbert certainly helps with that. He keeps us afloat as fans every single year. As far as and last question from here, and we'll let you go, is there I mean, maybe disagree. I don't know. Is there a benefit and what is that benefit to hiring a general manager first and then a head coach the Chargers. I've been open to doing head coach first and then general manager or vice versa. But historically and traditionally it seems to be general manager first. In your eyes, what is that advantage to going general manager first?
Speaker 3: I think it's important to have the GM first, honestly, because then the GM can be involved with some of the maybe the later interview process with the coach. But I think then there's some some buy in from the GM to the coach, as opposed to you hire a coach that you bring a GM in and who's got who's got the ultimate authority? Who, how's the jockeying for position going is the is the GM thinking this isn't my guy, and so there's never that synergy that they need. It's hard enough to win in the NFL when you're on the same page. If you're not on the same page, it's almost impossible. And so I think from my standpoint, I would want to have the GM in place first and then finalize the coach.
Speaker 2: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: Well, Jeff, we can't thank you enough for joining us today provided some great insight. I know I learned a lot. Hopefully you guys listening learned a lot from Jeff's experience as well, and hopefully we can catch up again sometime soon.
Speaker 3: Jeff sounds great, guys, I appreciate, take care and all the best. Hey, guys.
Speaker 1: VIP ticket packages for the first ever Super Bowl in Las Vegas are now on sale and only on location offers all inclusive experiences worthy of the entertainment capital of the world. Ticket packages boast an array of offering such as premium seeding to the game, epic pregame parties with headline talent, NFL legend appearances, premium drinks and fair and much more. Visit NFL onlocation dot com or search NFL on location today. Your football experience of a lifetime awaits only with on location. All right, Tyler, any final thoughts from that injury? I thought it was great, lots of cool insight. You know, a guy with a ton of experience in the NFL. What do you think of his answers today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought the emphasis on preparation and people's skills. Not that that's any surprise anyone who's ever been in a job interview, that's interesting that there's even more so of a shift towards that, And it's obviously then no surprise that someone like Brendan Staley earned the job back in twenty twenty one, given it seems like he's very good in press conferences and obviously was good enough in an interview for the job. So I understand how the trend went there and how Brendan Staley could have won the organization over. But we are in a different era these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think also just the emphasis on different backgrounds. I know everybody and the Chargers themselves have not expressly stated, but through members of the media have said that they are looking for, you know, experience at the head coaching position, and so it is interesting to hear how an NFL executive who has hired coaches and been a part of hiring coaches ways you know, experience versus non experience. You know, he's he hired or was working with a coach who had a very unorthodox start to his NFL career and Bud Grant. So, you know, I think it's important for the Chargers and for fans to keep an open mind. Obviously, there are definitely candidates that we all like who might check certain boxes, but you never know who gets into an interview and just kind of, you know, knocks it out of the park and has a great resume that you're not necessarily paying attention to. So those open backgrounds I think is super important.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The most we can do, I think even more so for general manager candidates is look at the Wikipedia and look at their sheet and draft picks and that's all we can do. And we can maybe wigh and do the best that we can. But once they're in the building or virtually like that is when things certainly change. You know, you have to have alignment, you have to have synergy, and the candidate just does not quite vibe with you, it really doesn't matter, you know. I think you have to have that. And there's so many good general manager candidates that they can find the one that matches them more more than just what's on paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right, So, as I mentioned, we do have some names, some requests, some actual interviews, so we'll go over some of that now. The Chargers did conduct an interview with Kellen Moore and Gift Smith today they officially announced on social media and then otherwise they have requested to interview Todd Monkin, the Ravens offensive coordinator, Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson, the two coordinators in Detroit, Steve Wilkes, the forty nine Ers defensive coordinator, Dan Quinn, the Cowboys defensive coordinator, Patrick Graham, the Raiders defensive coordinator, as well as Brian Callahan, the Bengals offensive coordinator. That just happened as of a few minutes ago before we jumped on here. As a reminder at an employee, or a head coaching candidate rather that is not currently an NFL employee does not have to have a formal interview request. So if the Chargers want to interview Mike Rabel or Jim Harbaugh or Ryan Date or whoever that is in the college ranks, they do not have to officially formally announce an interview request. That being said, Tyler, what's kind of your first glance at this head coaching candidate list?
Speaker 2: What's your first impression?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 2: Very good candidates and very balanced, many ones that we've already discussed, many ones that Chargers fans are certainly excited about. You have, you know, obviously a good balance of offense here with something like Monkin with Johnson, with now Callahan, but you also have defense with Glenn Wilkes, Quinn, etc. It's a really, really solid grouping that only became more exciting when Rabel was let go by the Titans, which it seemed like there was some buzz there, but we really didn't think that was going to really end up happening, and then it did. So the Chargers are now looking at what I originally thought was, you know, a weaker coaching class, that maybe it was a bit top heavy. But now you've got another name in there who could genuinely be the chargers number one candidate. And Keenan Allen you spoke on the traits that he's looking for in a head coach, and he said he's looking for, you know, leadership, obviously being a winner, knowing the game in and out, just being smart. And so now you've got twenty twenty one Coach of the Year Mike Rabel, who's now available, who took the Titans to the AC Championship. You've got twenty eleven Coach of the Year and now national champion Jim Harbaugh. You've got one of the best play callers in football in Ben Johnson who just helped take the Detroit Lions and have them win the division for the first time in thirty years. Dan Quinn took the Falcons to the Super Bowl. I mean, it's a pretty good time to need a head coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have a very clear top group, and we see that group potentially reflected in the Chargers interviews. So the Mike Rabel thing is super interesting. It sounds like he's potentially got an eye for New England already. But listen, man, Like I think objectively, he's one of the top candidates. I think to me, we've kind of identified Jim Harbon Ben Johnson as the top two guys. I think Mike Rabel is right there. Whether he's number one, two or three for you, I think all three of those guys are legitimately top options, you know, guys very deserving of a potential interview, very deserving of a potential bidding, more depending on what team you are. But Mike Rabel in particular is a really interesting candidate because, like, I know that that the last two years in Tennessee have not gone super great. Obviously, there's been you know, injuries to Ryan Tannehill and they kind of went through a competitive rebuild this year. So it's been, you know, not a super productive two years for Mike Rabel. And he spoke about that last week when he was impatially talking about how much he hated losing. But I think, you know, two of the things that we've talked about in this coaching search are, you know, having organizational alignment and just having the roster philosophies of having a head coach and GM who are aligned and have a true vision that match each other, and being able to bring that out in the form of an identity and a culture. And Mike Rabel has definitely done that. I think his teams have consistently had a very strong identity. They've been incredibly physical. Like we've talked about this at the times the Chargers have played the Titans, the Titans just had this way of just sucking teams in and just making it a fistfight and being physical and just scraping and crying for every ounce of an advantage that they could possibly find, whether it's on defense or offense or whatever the case may be. And that's definitely something that I would be interested in potentially exploring. Mike Rabel has also been consistently one of the best game managers in the league. He gives the Titans a huge edge in terms of the margins and coaching and time out management and clock management and things like that. So Mike Rabel. You know he's not coming off the best of times in Tennessee, but what he's been able to do from a defensive perspective, from a culture perspective, and from a staff perspective. He hired Matt Laflores his first offensive coordinator. Arthur Smith was his second offensive coordinator. I know Arthur Smith wasn't like super great this year in Atlanta, but like he was able to get him a head coaching job. This is a guy who did enough of a sample size as an offensive coordinator where other teams were vying for his services as a head coach. So this is a guy who I think checks a ton of boxes. And for me, I would definitely be interested in interviewing Mike Frable.
Speaker 2: The best way I can describe the Titans under Vrabels that I hated when the Chargers would play at the Titans under Ray Bowl and you knew it is just going to be some ugly game. You know, I tended the game last year in Los Angeles when the Titans came to town and by the fourth or fifth play they lost their quarterback who ended up getting hurt and they threw Willison and it was such a. They were injured as is anyway, and the Titans still took the Chargers all the way to the very very end, where it took a miraculous, you know, fantastic Mike Williams catch to set up the Chargers for the win this past season, Respectfully to the Titans, they had no business taking the Chargers to overtime, giving their injuries at the time, the uncertainty at quarterback, the offensive line wasn't very good, and they took the Chargers to overtime and they won that game. It really stinks playing the Titans. I mean, they will stop the Chargers at the one yard line with a cover years Chargers fans Melvin Gordon fumble like, they will drag it out to the last play if possible. And they are a tough, tough, tough, tough, tough team, and we saw the Dolphins run into them. The Dolphins were, you know, hot team, great offense. Gotta go play Tennessee. Things don't look the same when you play Tennessee. And I'm glad you brought up Lafleur and Smith. You know, that is definitely what I think for most if they're ranking these coaches and it's not just experience. I think a lot of Chargers fans will rank Vaybell maybe third because he's a defensive guy, whereas Harbaugh's offense and Ben Johnson his offense, and so maybe Vrabel great candidate, but maybe he's third. But as you pointed out, he did hire Lafloor, and then after that they brought Arthur Smith up as a Titan as a former tight ends coach, and Ryan Tannehill run one comeback Player of the Year under Arthur Smith. Like there, those are two very good, you know, one higher and one elevation promotion internally that really really worked out. So I don't know how to work for the Chargers. Of course this time around, technically Arthur Smith is available. I don't know, but I do love potentially like Terrell Williams we've talked about from I'm not trying to self rabele here, but because he's the new name that's available. You know, Terrell Williams, the Titans assistant head coach and defensive line coach who work with Khalil Mack. I think that's probably a defensive coordinator if it's verable, great coach again, twenty twenty one Coach of the Year it's a winner. He's a winner. Hated when the Chargers played him, would love if he coached for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like, whenever I picture the Tennessee Titans that are Mike able outside of like Chargers experience. I remember that game two seasons ago where they went to Kansas City. Ryan Tannehill did not play, Molik Will has completed like seven passes and just was like completely not functional as a quarterback at all, And it was down to the wire because that defense just took it to Mahomes And and I've been a proponent of like stability around justin Herbert being definitely one of my top priorities in this coaching candidacy. But potentially getting some of that Titans defense and pairing it with some of the pieces that the Chargers have will be a lot of fun. And Mike Rabel I think makes up in enough areas for me where the lack of him not being an offensive guy is kind of mitigated. And even though the Titans have gone through different offensive coordinators, it generally has always been the same kind of schematic world like, there's been some schematic stability there, even if if you're not having the same group of coaches calling the plays, So I think that is definitely something to point out. Again, this could all be a mood point. He could certainly choose to just coach the Patriots and we'll see what happens. But if you're Mike Rabel, like I think you should be open to potentially coaching the Chargers, I think you should be open to interviewing with these other teams because you know this is you know, this is the probably the one time that you're probably looking to be the last time I should say you're looking to coach a team. So I would hope that he gets an interry with the Chargers would be fantastic. Outside of him, it's a lot of the same kind of names that we've been been talking about. You know, Todd Monkin is kind of the other Ravens offensive coordinator, but he was a guy we were very interested in potentially being the offensive coordinator for the Chargers before he chose the Ravens. And then the defensive backgrounds here I think are very interesting because the defenses are all from different worlds. You're talking about Steve Wilks, who has a variety of experiences, Aaron Glenn, who's run a variety of defenses dan Quinn's renovarvariety of defenses. So I think that is something that stands out to me from a defense perspective, is just the ability to have that variety. And then a lot of these guys are like truly respective leaders, and I think that Obviously we've talked about offense versus defense, but at the end of the day, like Jeff said, you're trying to find the best leader for your team. You're trying to find the best person for your team, and if that's a defensive guy, I think you make the rest of the process work by hiring other people to support him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Keenan Allen's in his comments didn't say the person who can scheme me the most open and throw me the most targets, that's the person. Now, I'm sure he'd prefer that. Of course, of course, every offensive player wants to be maximized. But yeah, there are some very very good defensive candidates here, most of them with coaching experience. So I really do like that. I see where the charges are going, and I really do like this list, and it's only going to grow. Today is Tuesday, the ninth, and I'm sure we'll get five more candidates by the time this thing airs tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had a bunch of coaching candidates come out yesterday and then we've had a couple more today as well as the interviews with Gift Smith and Kellen Moore. What do you make of them interviewing the two in house guys. I don't believe that's happened previously. So what are your thoughts about them interviewing Kellen in Gift today?
Speaker 2: I would be fascinated to know what Kellen Moore would say about what having just been the offensive coordinator, how he would approach fixing the Chargers and maybe even their offense. We don't know for sure how much oversight there was, and unfortunately we never saw a team without a head coach with Justin Herberts, we don't know what could have changed. But I am curious if he had his way on offense and there was nobody to oversee him and he was the head coach, what would he do? How would he fix the Chargers offense? What went wrong this year that either they didn't anticipate or they overlooked. What could they have done to help? And I think that's important too, considering he is there could be their offensive coordinator. Of course, he could be their head coach. You could be their offense accordinated depending on who they hire as well. So I think it's important to pick his brain. And then with Giftsmith, I think there is something there in terms of just being a leader. They talked about leadership, and you talked about and Jeff talked about finding the right leaders, and it really does seem like Gift even just from that, just that alone is a great leader and a great candidate for that alone. And this is a guy who's been around through three different stadiums, three different coaches, potentially a fourth one. Now he's seen a lot. If you want someone who can tell you about your franchise over the years and maybe what went wrong, what's going right, what would you change, how could we communicate better? There actually isn't a candidate better than Gifsmith in that regard because he can tell you I've been here for a while and here's what I've seen over the years, and no other candidate, no other candidate gets to talk about that.
Speaker 1: I think it's all part of the due diligence. Honestly, Like I think it is very worthwhile to pick their brains about what went wrong this season in earnest and like, how would you change things? Okay, gif Smith, like Klomack has spoken up for you.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 1: You know, Justin Hubert has said he really believes in Kellen Moore and his vision. Why do you think that is? Like what would you change? How would you take it to the next step? And I think obviously Kellen Moore specifically can speak to you know, what this offense could look like in year two, And Justin Hubberd was asked about that yesterday and the advantages of having a second year or beyond in the same offensive coordinator, same scheme. So I think it's all part of the due diligence. I think Giff did a fantastic job of riding the ship over the last three weeks and that that really was all we could ask is that the team was competitive across the final three games. I mean they were like thirteen and a half point underdogs against the Buffalo Bills. It would have been very easy for, you know, an interim head coach to come into this situation and not be able to rally the troops. I know they didn't win, but obviously they were missing a ton of key key players as well. But you're playing against a team who just earned the two seed in the AFC. This is a team that has an MVP candidate at quarterback. It would have been very easy for them to just kind of, you know, mail it in, so to speak, and lose these three games. But give Smith did a fantastic job of getting them competitive, getting these team to fight again like we had seen them previously do. And you saw that show up and guys like Easton Stick and Khalue Mack obviously in two Lee and Derwin James at Alohi Gillman, you could tell there was just more buy in I think with Giff Smith's vision, And I would want to know why is that. You know, you've been a position coach for a lot of years for us, What would you change differently from what you've seen? So I think that definitely is a part of the due process, and I think those two hopefully took advantage of those two interviews today.
Speaker 2: Yes, in particular with Kellen Moore, I think the Chargers understand that they have had guys like Sirianni on their coaching staff before, and they've had Shane Steichen on their coaching off before and Frank Reich, who wasn't a super successful head coach, but he became one. You don't officially and easily want to let Kellum Moore out despite I know Chargers fans have been frustrated with the offense, the protection plan in particular, and then the run in the run game, of course, but you just want to either be sure or know more or whatever it is, because it's not like twenty twenty was a great offensive season where there was no protection issues and a great run game. It was opposite. The protection issues weren't quite there and the run game wasn't great in twenty twenty with Shane Steiken. But now you look at what he's done with the Colts and you think, hey, that's a heck of a head coach, and he's turned things around, and it seems like they've turned I mean, they almost made the postseason with Gardner Minshew at quarterback, So I think that is worth them exploring, like, hey, let's let's do our due diligence just to make sure because we might have had Shane Sniken already. Hear, and he left, and I understand why he did, and I think he only grew as much as he did by going to the Eagles and being with Syrian and that sort of thing. He's a different coach, but you want to just double check and do your due diligence there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can. I think that's a great way of putting that. You can see what kind of room for improvement or growth there is when you interview them in this kind of setting, too.
Speaker 2: I think is super important.
Speaker 1: We'll touch on the GM candidates and that list on our own show. We're kind of running short on time, so we'll do that on our own channel later this week. We do have to end today, unfortunately, by talking about the potential likely retirement of mister Corey.
Speaker 2: Lindsey.
Speaker 1: Obviously came out after the Minnesota Vikings game that he was dealing with.
Speaker 2: A heart issue.
Speaker 1: He spoke a little bit about it yesterday when he spoke to the media. Looked twenty five thirty pounds lighter, which he spoke about was kind of the process here, but paraphrasing on the details. Essentially, he had a red flag come up last May, and then during the season he was not feeling like himself and so obviously Corey Lindsley's health first and foremost, we hope he's able to live a long and healthy life and be able to be a dad and be physically active with his kids and everything like that. But he said that there's a ninety nine percent chance that he does retire at this point. He'll have a final test, so to speak, in March, and then that's kind of when they'll have, you know, I assume a formal announcement. So it's just unfortunate. We kind of expected this based off of heart issue. Anytime you have something like this come out in a football player, it's just it's a tough thing to stomach.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: But we wish Corey nothing but the best. He is one of the best Chargers who has ever come in as a free agent, at least in my lifetime. Tyler, what do you think this means to the team and what do you think of Corey as in his time in general as a Charger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he joined the Chargers and had a market resetting contract and I don't think Chargers fans even looked at it for the last two years because it's that's how good he was. We didn't care how much money he made. Frankly, if he asked for a raise, We'd say, sure, because he was somehow underpaid and underrated, one of the best players in the NFL. You know, before Corey Linsley got here, the Chargers centers the previous two years allowed fifty five pressures. You know, Corey Linsley sends twenty twenty one, just twenty two. Things are just different. He's a pro off the field, of course, and a great guy and an All Pro on the field, so that the Chargers are going to miss him, and they have missed him. You saw it on the field, Corey Linsley, despite being former All Pro, highest paid center, everyone knows his name, he was still somehow underrated. You know. I don't think we understood how much of a loss there would be. But it's striking how much football can mean to us as fans and to players and to coaches, and how important it is to us, and then how in just in one instance it doesn't really matter anymore, and family and health and those things matter so much more. Those those things are the priorities. So wish him truly nothing but the best. I hope things obviously work out, that the health is maintained and better, and if he is doing the Nick Hardwick reversal from offensive linemen to nice and slender and trim. Go for it, man, let me know what your secret is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, please, you know, Corey is just a He was so good and like every single time, every single Monday, I would turn on the tape and Corey Lindsay's one of the first guys that just stands out and just truly the definition of an elite center. And like how much of an advantage the Chargers had with him in there, It cannot be overstated. Like you're talking about a guy who was tops in the league in twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two and pressures allowed, pass blocking efficiency, run blocking grade, and even this year when he wasn't feeling like himself, according to his own words, he was still playing at a really high level. Obviously, you know we, like I.
Speaker 3: Said, we wish his health nothing but the best.
Speaker 1: But then this season too, you know, Eric Smith a great feature about the leadership role that Corey Lindsay has taken over the last three years and continue to take this year. Jamari Sawyer said that at some point after the decision where he was going to be placed on the NFL list, he was doing like goal line cut ups and like watching tape with the guys, and he was still very involved in the daily operation of the Chargers. And I think that really says a lot to me about the kind of teammate, mentor player that Corey Lindsey is, because he was still all in on the team even despite his heart issues, and he was still trying to help them solve problems. He was still trying to help them, you know, be the best players that they could be. Jamari spoke about how Corey was one of the first players to reach out to him and how much that meant to him, and Corey was able to like express his belief in Jamari's talent, and I think you see the leadership, you see the ability to be a difference maker on the field, But just as a person, I think we've heard so much much about who Corey Linsley is and the Chargers are going to miss him. This is a huge hole that he's going to.
Speaker 2: Leave on this roster.
Speaker 1: In the locker room, guys like Rashaun Slater, Jamari Zion, they're all going to have to pick up the slack next year in terms of their play on the field as well as their leadership. We've seen something that come to fruition, and particularly from Rashaun Slater. But this is a huge deal and it's unfortunate that I came to this because Corey Linsley, like like I said, was one of my favorite players every single money to turn on the tape and see what he was doing and just the advantage he was creating for this Charters team. So I'm gonna miss watching him play, I really am. And there's a lot of that going around with his team. But Corey Linsley in his short time with the Chargers left such a mark and I will forever, you know, cherish the moments I had watching tape, hearing about his interview. I got to ask him a question at training camp, so it was it's a It was a true treat watching Corey Lindsay play football for the Los Angeles Charters.
Speaker 2: Absolutely wishing him nothing but the ut.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, definitely.
Speaker 1: So that's gonna do it for us today. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the show. As always, make sure you are liking the videos, commenting, subscribing obviously if you're listening to this, we enjoy all the ratings and reviews, and again thanks to Jeff Diamond for joining us. Hopefully you guys enjoyed that interview today, so that'll do it for us today. We'll see you at the same time next week, maybe with some coaching, some more coaching, and GM updates. We'll see, but as always, check us out on our own channel. We'll see you guys later full time