Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. We've got a shout out to our super producer, mister Max white Pants Williams.
Speaker 2: Actually I'm on Brieft right now.
Speaker 3: Oh no, boy, Well can we only see your upper body here in this zoom video? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're we're audio family show. So the only nudity here is emotional and we're so glad he joined us. I am Ben Bullen joined us always with the one and only the man with the legend, mister Noel.
Speaker 3: Brown and legend.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's it? What's a geig economy? So what's your what's your pants situation? No, before HR gets mad at me for asking.
Speaker 3: My pants are HR approved. I'm wearing a bit of a gene, a dark gene. They're kind of new, so they're a little stiff, but I'm liking them. I'm breaking them in.
Speaker 1: You're a gene guy, you're a deniman.
Speaker 3: I'm aneman. But would you say that we are going forth into the breach? Yes today, yes, breach do some breaching unbreaching.
Speaker 4: Perhaps there we go.
Speaker 1: It's time to breach a to breach and broach a subject that we set up earlier this week with some lovely help from our research associate for this episode, mister Max Williams, you might have looked at childhood pictures of many historical figures, especially in the anglosphere, in Western Europe, in North America and Canada and so on, and you might have said, whole why is this really well known influential dude as a child, Why do they appear to be wearing a dress? Today's episode is the episode wherein we conclusively answer that question.
Speaker 4: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 3: We also do have already in the back catalog an entire episode about kids wearing pants and the idea of you know, short short pants and breeches and all of that good stuff. But we're really gonna go this is going to be sort of a sister episode to that one in many ways. And Natasha Frost over at Atlas Obscura points out delightfully and a little missive involving a gentleman by the name of John Neil who was an eighteenth century resident of post Revolutionary War America, and he remembers the day that he and his twin sister were parted torn a sunder is the phrase that she but here here's his remembrance. They put me into jacket and trousers, he wrote in seventeen ninety five. And he gathered up his call from the article, gathered up his collection of petticoats and flung them over to his sister. And he basically was gifting these to his sister. And being twins, we had always been alike, he says, till then, but from that time forward, I was the manchild and she poor thing only sissy, which was something very different back then. Just so true, it's very true. And then only forced to wear petticoats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And you've seen it. This is for the parents, the teachers in the audience today. You see it all around the world pretty much. Most Western children start wearing some form of pants, pantaloon, trousers, breeches, breches at an early age. And this is quite expensive when the kids growing up, you know, you have to buy this, get new pants every.
Speaker 4: Time, to be tailored too.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is not off the rack kind of stuff back in those days, and this was you know, celebrated as a sort of coming of age, you know, a lot like a bar mitzvrs.
Speaker 1: That's right, yeah, and so this is what our palmac sees as a nightmare fuel tradition. You tell us what you think, folks, You're absolutely right. No, this was seen as an early rite of passage. You are no longer an infant, you are a full on child. I love that you mentioned Natasha Frost from that Atlas Obscure article which does great work on this. Frost dates this back to the United Kingdom in the middle of the sixteenth century and says that when early migrants from Europe came over to North America, they brought this custom with them, the custom of celebrating this evolution of a child's life, this passage of time. You don't see this breaching ceremony almost at all in the early twentieth century and going forward, primarily because laundry technology improved, which I know is how it is ridiculous and a little bit silly, but people used to be pretty.
Speaker 3: Dirty, sure, and you know, having a child of self soiling age wearing custom tailored pantaloons could have posed a laundry conundrum, right, And once you know, we were able to use better chemicals and technologies to desoil garments. It became a little bit less of an issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a little bit, you know, and shout out to everybody who is concerned about the environment and using cloth diapers.
Speaker 4: We know, we know, we know.
Speaker 1: It's a rough gig, folks, But look, humans are the same back then as they are today. For centuries and centuries, people thought of pants as more than just clothing. It was symbolic. It represented a transformation. It was a statement. And this sounds weird, it probably hasn't aged well, but back in the day, giving the kid pants was seen as assigning a kind of gender role in society. Because now now you can climb trees, you can do all the Huckleberry Finn Tom Sawyer stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, paint fences, there are trick people to paint them for you. It's you know, the origin is surely of the expression, you know, wearing the pants in the family, the idea of this representing a masculine leadership role and sort of being in charge, you know, being the head hot show.
Speaker 1: Before this pants ritual, all small children would wear long dresses comparable in some ways to the modern hospital gown, except it was nighty. Perhaps yeah, like moo moo and a shift, if you will. And a lot of times when families were not royalty and they had a lot of children, these pieces of clothing were purposely made to be sort of one size fits all. You pass it down to the next kid, and so on and so on and so on. And of course more well to do families had the flex they had to have fancy dresses for their children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and even you know, after passing into that manhood kind of role and being breached oftentimes, you know, folks in this era of history would still wear what are called dressing gowns, you know, for bed, Like you think of old Ebenezer Scrooge in his best dressing gown, you know, clutching a candle, you know, as he was spooked by holiday ghosts.
Speaker 1: Yes, which also I would argue helps the structure of the story because it puts that titan of industry in a more childlike position.
Speaker 4: That's a really good point.
Speaker 3: You know, this is done not to get on too much of a tangent, but I read a really interesting thing about how oftentimes villains in fiction and cinema are seen drinking milk because it puts them in this sort of like they are this they've got issues with, you know, arrested development in some way, shape or form. And it's also I've seen it used as a way of representing sort of whiteness as well, like I believe specifically in Get Out, the excellent Jordan Peel movie where no spoilers, but one of the villains is seen drinking milk and eating cereal separately.
Speaker 1: Clockwork Orange, No country for old Men. Whenever you see someone drinking milk in a film, it is a very purposeful choice. Shout out to Quentin Tarantino and inglorious bastards. There are a lot of There are a lot of bad people drinking milk. And I'm sure that the old Got Milk campaign and trade associations have opinions on that, but we haven't called them yet.
Speaker 4: Nope, no penalty. I don't know the number. O T M I L k oh.
Speaker 3: That is seven digits.
Speaker 4: That could be a number we should try. Let's try a ring.
Speaker 1: Let's try it because we've got our big boy bridges on for this episode, so we can cold call people, just like that pigeon that's been giving me nightmares.
Speaker 4: We are scared.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the the idea of breeches. If we go to s. Lombard in her work making Manhood growing up Male in colonial New England, what we see is that this clothing, the transformation into trousers, functioned as a passport to the world beyond the childhood home. You could get into adventures, you could ride horses, you could go on high jinks. And while you did that, just like the story of the twins that we opened with here, while you did that, your unfortunate siblings, if they were assigned female at birth, they have to stay in these stresses. They don't get pants, and this keeps them closer to the home. This is a lot of like handmaid's tail, oh, hierarchical stuff.
Speaker 4: Well think about it too.
Speaker 3: I mean, like so many women's garments, you know, back in history were very oppressively tight, you know, things like corsets, and you'd often see the male. The male escorts such almost be necessary in order to help the women into a coach or out of a coach, because they couldn't do it on their own, largely because their legs are so tight together and they had to be delicately sort of assisted in and out or crossing a mud puddle in the thoroughfare, you know, in the Western times, the idea of a gentleman throwing his waistcoat across you know, the said mud puddle and escorting the woman across dare she, you know, besmirch her her petticoats? And the struggle continues today in terms of just getting in a nice dress with pockets. Got your back folks. By the way, we are pro pockets here, and decorative pockets are for the birds. What's that about decorative pockets? I still under why would you do it?
Speaker 4: Anyways?
Speaker 3: So, I mean, we're not fashion experts, but still it feels a little bit counterproductive. We're not there, make it, make it be a functional pocket?
Speaker 4: Why why why not? Why is why is it sew it up at the top? It doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: We're fashion functionalists, not fashion fascists, and we're certainly not he ghots. So there is a cool shout out that that you found here.
Speaker 4: Max.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite books that is so often forgotten in the modern day, the Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy. This is a wild ride. If you like Don Quixote, you're gonna like this book. It is bonkers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there is an episode of breaching that really represents a you know, push forward into manhood. And there's a great quote from it from the father of this main character. 'tis high time to take this young creature out of these woman's hands and push him into those of a private governor. Okay, jumping right from a little baby to a governor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it starts with the breaching. Let's go to Jennifer Jordan, who wrote a pretty comprehensive deep dive on masculinity as it was seen in the seventeenth century, and Jordan identifies the same phenomenon we're talking about the social import of acquiring pants. This meant, you know, like you said, you're wearing the pants in the family, you're the young man of the house. It became a huge significant milestone in a boy's journey toward adulthood, toward manhood in some ways, not in terms of the ceremony itself, but in terms of what it represented. In a way, it's similar to like a bar mitzvah or abot mitzvah. You know, it's a huge passage in your life. And people in the canon of Western literature talk about this all the time, not just in their like bangor singles like in their letters to their friends, the equivalent of DMS pre internet. Samuel Coleridge talks about it with I think his son was five years old? Is that correct when he got this right?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: Samuel Coleridge, the guy who wrote in Kublai Khan's Pleasuredome doth decree or what? I love that one. Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's funny too talking about manhood. Maybe I'm off the mark on this one, but a lot of these pantaloons were quite revealing in the swimsuit region, let's just say. And often women's clothing were designed to be as modest as humanly possible. It was almost as though the cut of one's breach could in fact be designed to accentuate one's literal manhood, you know, like David Bowie and Labyrinth.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 1: We're reference rich today, folks. That's how we start. Twenty twenty four. Coleridge is kind of surprised when he's talking about his son's his son's introduction to pants in a letter in eighteen oh one, he said he did not roll and tumbled over and over in his old joyous way, No, it wasn't eager and solemn gladness as if he felt it to be an awful area. It is life, so like that is an area. He gets pants and he's like, uh, beat me your max. He gets pants and he's like, hush, it's getting real kind man stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And didn't they have like sort of like you know again, like the bar Mitzvah type situation. They had sort of gathering sort of celebrations of these breaching occasions, right, and there were like gifts given to make the pockets of said breeches jingle with cash or coin to represent the transition of this young lad into manhood.
Speaker 1: So one of the first questions naturally occurs is how old are these kids when they are allowed pants. The answer varies from situation to situation, but in general it's somewhere between four and eight years old. And it's something like it's a liminal space. It's kind of like when parents decide whether or not to let their kid in. On the Santa Claus conspiracy, the ways depicted is that there were sometimes conflicting desires on the parts of the parents. The dads were like, let's make him a little man, a little mini me that can go in trapes about, and the mothers were depicted as saying, Oh, I don't want them to grow up. Yeah, he's not ready. I want him to be my little little guy forever.
Speaker 4: And in fact, a historian named Catherine K.
Speaker 3: Cain had this to say, And this is another pull from the incredible Atlas Obscure article by Frost that we mentioned earlier. Some mothers might try to delay the event, especially if there were no other infants or toddlers in the nursery, So that we know that in general it can be the case often only children get peg with having a little bit of arrested development, perhaps because they are so precious, you know, there's no one else to replace them once they leave the nest, so to speak, so they're often kind of held back a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true. It's kind of a stereotype or social observation that can have some sand to it. But of course we don't want to paint with a broad brush if it's not necessary. We do know that sometimes children might not get pants because of their perceived health conditions, like we need him to be on the mend, he's sick with one of the weird medical maladies of our day is the brain fever, the dropsy, the shoe foot, et cetera, break bone fever. There it is, and the dancing plague, the dancing plang. This kid's got moves. We can't put them in pants just yet. Let's see if they can pop and lock and do a dougie or.
Speaker 4: Perhaps a stinky leg.
Speaker 3: Also, of course, and we've already kind of alluded to, this class continued to play quite a big role in when and under what circumstances a boy.
Speaker 4: Was to be breached.
Speaker 1: And you know, another thing is again, I keep going back to this. People are not incredibly different from one generation or one age to the next. So this is a shout out to everybody in the US or Canada who had, as a young child been dressed in a costume for Halloween without your parents' consent. My folks always kept is a place of pride in their mantle. Picture of me as a pumpkin and then as what I can only describe as a dangerously out of shaped French chef nice. I was like not even two years.
Speaker 3: Remember those really kind of shoddy plastic costumes that like came with like sort of like a smock that was sort of made of a weird rubbery material and then almost like a like a reusable tablecloth, but not particularly reusable, and then the accompanying mask. Those would be pretty much single use. You wouldn't really get much hand me down action out of those. But the class aspects here is really important because, as we mentioned, these garments were custom made, or they needed to be, especially if you know, there were lots of differences in size and build between various children. So a less well to do family might not have the coin to commission a tailor, you know, to to you know, cut a brand new tailored suit of pants, you know, for a young lad passing into manhood, So they might have to deal with these hand me downs and for a while, and or continue on with the sort of dressing gown situation until it became untenable. And if there was going to be some sort of gathering or party, it certainly wouldn't be at the scale of that the rich might be capable of throwing.
Speaker 1: Here is a cookie, congratulations your man now. Child labor is definitely with being so into the minds up.
Speaker 4: To the mines. Yeah, so yeah, class.
Speaker 1: It always makes me sad when we have to talk about class this way. It makes me think of things like hard candy Christmas, about all these absolutely wonderful, innocent kids who are rightly asking, well, why don't I get the same kind of party? Wealthy families balled out on this stuff. There are accounts of kids being given a ceremonial toy sword, and the history we mentioned earlier. Cain talks about how in more well to do families, the kid would change into his new custom made suit because mass production of clothing not really a thing yet, Nope. And sometimes the tailor who made the little man suit would be there to dress the boy, or the father's valet because people had valets there and as footman perhaps, yes, right, And the family would gather in the room, and then there would be another guest, the local barber. And remember this isn't too far gone from the years in which someone qualified to cut hair was also qualified to amputate limbs and let blood.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting, too, Ben, because I think we've been hinting at it. This really was a passage in many ways, not only into manhood, but into like leaving the house, you know, because you needed to fit into that gender role in order to leave the house. And for the wealthier class that would be more about being introduced into society perhaps, but for the less well to do class it would be my be put off until they literally had to, like we said, go hit the mines or the fields, you know, and that is terrible, but that is they would put it off until that point because you can't really work in minds there in fields wearing a you know, like a nightie. Yeah, you gotta have that flexibility in the leg areas.
Speaker 1: And like literally every other single thing humans have ever done, there was a contingent of people who had a big problem with it's there's a guy who maxic called mcclearpill. I think he's a real pill. His name is George Nicholson. In seventeen ninety seven, he writes a book called on Clothing. I want to give him as due. This was the time of stupid long book titles, So congratulations to you on the brevity.
Speaker 4: Nicholson.
Speaker 1: However, your weird anti pants stance is kind of telling on yourself, bro. He said, look, if you wear pants, it's like comfortable to pee. And he also said this would encourage self pleasure because yeah, he was like, if you give these little boys pants, they're gonna play with themselves.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, but wouldn't it be easier to do that just lifting up the dress.
Speaker 1: I think George Nicholson had probably had some things on his own that he needed.
Speaker 4: To as wress.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like like if you read Hemingway writing about bullfights, it's like, come on, dude, everybody knows but you.
Speaker 3: This is a metaphor for something that you haven't maybe quite pegged yet.
Speaker 4: No, that's a very very good point. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, so, okay, we've got a quote from Nicholson and Max, I'm really glad you found this because it shows us this attempt at anti pants propaganda. Dare we say it was during the first and second year. The boy can neither button nor unbutton his breeches, and he's continually in a sad condition. Uh, Max white pants Williams has added L O.
Speaker 4: L like what the condition? Are they in a psychodicition because they can't pee? Or are they a technician because they peede themselves?
Speaker 2: Because he just in the way he's saying is they can't get their pants off.
Speaker 1: He makes it sound like the reprehensible practice of footbinding, which is totally different. But he makes it sound like you're binding crotches well.
Speaker 3: But also he goes on to say he takes it a step further in saying, in his breaches, a boy is pent up and shackled, and by way of compensation, his mind is stuffed with opinion and folly is he saying this boy needs to let out some steam. I feel like it sounds like he's encouraging touching himself exactly.
Speaker 2: Here's this whole part about this dude's This dude just has something that doesn't what he's on about it.
Speaker 4: He's wearing his on brief dress.
Speaker 1: Still he got some bad pants too. Maybe maybe he just got a really bad pair of pants and the trauma stayed with him, Uh the call. As we know, scientific studies have been conducted on the idea of pants, like Shout Out Again, the Clockwork Orange, and the Lovely Ongoing Narrative about the ephemeral cycles of fashion. We know that sometimes bag you pants are in, sometimes type pants are in, they come and go, and so there has been science conducted on this that shows really tight pants could damage sperm count ords. But that's like, honestly, guys, that's like reading a study that says insert insert food ingredient here gives rats cancer what they.
Speaker 3: Need massive amounts shovel it into their little rat maws, a.
Speaker 1: Larger amount than any human or any human sized rat would ever actually eat. So I think there's a little bit of context that we have to approach those studies with. However, and this is something, uh, Max, I don't want to see. You're excited about it. But this is something we've talked about off air pretty often. For the past few weeks. We talked about breaching, but Noel riddled me this, what is unbreaching?
Speaker 3: Ugh into the unbreach go We Yeah, breaching, of course is a thing, a ritualized kind of passage into into manhood, into you know how, bearing responsibility, responsibilities of a head of household type situation. But what on earth is unbreaching? So, writing for a Jay Store in an article called Boys in Dresses, Matthew Wills had this to say, exploring the biographies of men as disparate as Czar Nicholas the Second, Franklin, Delano Roosevelt, and Ernest Hemingway, you're apt to come across pictures of them as young boys looking into distinguishable from young girls, their hair is long, and they're wearing dresses. This tracks this is sort of the pre breaching, you know, situation. It also makes sense that that's when the barber would make an appearance, because up to that point, if they're not leaving the house, it would have been prohibitively expensive or maybe like a waste of effort to cut their hair. So you'd have a lot of these portraits having them in this kind of pre breached state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is not like culture war level stuff. This is a matter of practicality for parents pretty often. And you know, obviously, folks, kids should not have to have uniforms unless they go to like a private school where they make you do it. If we're big fans of self expression and people arriving at their own identities on this show, so we get the problematic aspects of this. We also know that they were changing fashion trends in the world of children's clothing as we get to the turn of the twentieth century, now we start seeing more overt kind of gender uniforms. As scholar Joe B. Poletti points out in her work, until the First World War, little boys were, like you pointed out in the dressed and skirts had long hair. The color coating of like giving little girls pink outfits, little boys baby blue outfits, that wasn't really common until the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, also there wasn't color photography, so it made more sense. You know, it was black and white, so most of these outfits were white. I'm still you know, guys, I'm hilariously colorblind. It's all gray to me. I'm surprised more people haven't died. When I drive through traffic lights, you're not missing anything, well except maybe the color of the stup.
Speaker 2: Like, I did feel bad because when I wore the white suit and on the Christmas party, I wore a green green tie and a red shirt and I did not thing about telling Ben that, And so it was until we were on Aaron Noles. A lot of Ben's like, oh, that's the shirt you're wearing, Max Mi, Oh sorry, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I knew the suit was white.
Speaker 3: It's good to be able to continuously be surprised by something, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very kind.
Speaker 3: I mean silver lining, you know, Yeah, so there.
Speaker 1: Is a course, there is a lining to this as well. You let us know whether you think it's silver lightning folks, our history lazy.
Speaker 4: Right, right right.
Speaker 1: Our historian Pilletti here says that children's clothing became more like gender typed and at the same time, she notes that clothing for adult women began to look there's a quote from her more androgynous. And she points out that there was a new sort of hierarchy of differences in color and fabric, material and trim, perhaps the way it was cut right that would separate boys and girls at later stages, and that you also, she knows, to the point about photography, she says, you know, you you're gonna have a tough time seeing this in most photos of the era, because photographs were kind of like everybody was kind of like a photograph of Bigfoot.
Speaker 3: Right, But also just some of these specifics, you know, were more kind of specific to that society, you know, so we might not recognize those as being gendered based on the standards that we've gotten used to, So it might be something that we would just would kind of go over our heads since we're used to seeing dress equals girl, pants equals boy. There were more subtleties, and especially to your point, Ben, or to Joe's point about the more androgynous types of clothing that were briefly associated with with women's dress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a lot packed in here because one thing we haven't talked about yet is the tremendous role of folklore of indeed pre Christian beliefs that go throughout all communities in the world, not just the Western world as we call it today. There was this superstition that still persists in various various communities. There was this superstition that one must take certain actions to protect one's children from infernal or dangerous supernatural forces. So like, okay, you like, don't say the kid's name, and these certain circumstances. And this is probably part of the reason why the little boys were dressed in dresses, which is very weird to think about, but there's historical sand to.
Speaker 4: It one hundred percent. But also.
Speaker 3: The idea of toilet training, Oh, it was important so to have, you know, a garment that was much easier to change and walk and didn't require any you know, fiddling with clasps or you know whatever, because it wouldn't have been zippers or elastic bands. It would have been like you know, more tricky buttons or you know, not snaps even I mean maybe even things that had to be kind of laced right, So it was a bit of a to do to get out of your pantaloons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the difference. I love that how Poleeti puts this. The difference between boys and girls at an early age socially was not seen as as important as the difference between children and adults. That was the big line of demarcation. And so yes, it becomes celebratory. It also, I gotta say it, sometimes really wealthy parents treat their young children like pets, and it's kind of weird. That's why we get the knickerbockers, That's why we get the we get the cosplay. When some of these children were in a very very h well to do families got their first pair of pants to get outfits.
Speaker 3: And just to clarify real quick, when we're talking about unbreaching, we're talking about all of the fits that went into this pre breached kind of period addresses.
Speaker 1: Until you get the pants, you are unbreached. When you get the pants, you have been breached.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 3: So this is and also a lot of this stuff would be much more specific in terms of the bespoke aspects of the unbreached uh phase, that would be much more specific to the wealthy, you know, because they're probably also largely the ones that are going to end up in photographs because that was the thing that was everyone didn't get to do that. That was an expensive process and you know, required time away from the minds in the fields to even you know, get the kid to sit still, and to have you have to have the whole crew, you know, to do these family photographs.
Speaker 2: I think about it before photographs, like you need someone to paint you. You have to be important and have a lot of right to have. I mean, you probably have your vallee and your painter and you're something like normal blokes like us.
Speaker 4: Now we ain't getting paid in Yeah.
Speaker 3: And unless there was some stylized sort of thing, impressionistic sort of a portrait of three waifs in the gun, you know.
Speaker 1: I like the idea of breaching coming with that, uh, with that responsibility, like okay, you're six, you're a man now. Uh, we're going to refer to each other by our surnames.
Speaker 4: Right, I am here's a gun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm here's a gun. And to prove your manhood, I need you to stand still for about four hours holding this gun. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna leave you with the valet. I've opium to attend to. So like that, Like that's that's how it goes, all right. I know we're getting toward the end. Uh, we do have a conclusive explanation here. We do know that fashion continues to evolve, and it does have a lot of symbolic import to various cultures throughout time and across the world. But I I want to give a shout out. It's one of my favorite weird words. Finally got to use it. I can't believe we got this far without saying it. Knickerbockers. It's such a silly word. Knickerbockers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is, and it's uh, you know, you'll see it in I think there's the Knickerbocker Hotel. I think there's one in New York, and I think there's one in Los Angeles too. But it just does it feels like such a like it's of its time, you know, this this word. But they were they were kind of short pants, weren't They weren't nickerbockers, kind of like sort of ruffled little little pantaloons or what's a knickerbockers?
Speaker 1: A look, it's style. Couple different things. There are also oh gosh, okay, so yes, knickerbockers are a type of clothing. They can also be oh gosh. They're also called knickers, but they can also be a last name. It can refer to part of the Dutch community of early New York, right, the Knickerbockers. It's fascinating.
Speaker 4: I'm just fine.
Speaker 1: I need excuses to say knickerbocker more often. I think maybe we can start using more specific names for pantsy guys. When we compliment people, we can be like, no, there's awesome smart trousers, mister.
Speaker 3: De some fetching pantaloons, Yeah, you've got a nack. Fetching is a weird one too. It's like it makes it like it's like I'm standing up and taking notice. You done fetched me, and here I am remarking upon your fabulous outfit.
Speaker 1: You've a knack for Knickerbocker's my friend. I So with this, we hope that we have answered the question. And if you were interested in learning more about the history of fashion, there is a show with a great catalog that we'd like to recommend. It is called Dressed Epede by our longtime friend Holly Fry. The podcast is not putting on new episodes for a while now, but it's deep and it's really awesome exploration to us by co host April Callahan and Cassidy Zachary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of whom I believe both have backgrounds in literal fashion history, and they go pretty deep into it, and there's a lot of detail and really interesting stuff that even people that might not consider themselves interested in fashion, there is history is forward in this podcast, So it really is you know, we can learn a lot by the Closed People War and the kind of circumstances and ceremony around these garments and outfits.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, whether or not this podcast finds you wearing pants, perhaps the most important thing we can leave each other with today is dress how you want you know what I mean, You have the agency to wear what you would like, unless you know, I got you're at a private school or you're in some sort of situation where uniform is required. Because your clothing is more than just a function. It can also be a statement of your personality and how you feel and how how you want to be seen and be felt. And that's a beautiful, amazing thing, Oh.
Speaker 3: For sure, especially now where you know, gender is such a fluid thing, you know, and that is much more socially acceptable than it's ever been. There are a lot more opportunities, you know, for going one's own way in terms of fashion. So I think that's really liberating. And you know, for the longest time, as we see in this history, things were very much foisted upon people, you know, because of perceived gender, and now it is very much kind of up for grabs, like what direction do you want to go in? Do you want to mix it up? There kind of are no rules. It's just about, like you said, Ben, wearing what feels good and what makes you feel like the best version of yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to end on that point again, you have agency to present how you wish to the world to be seen, to be felt. It is a beautiful thing and we can't wait for you to join for more Ridiculous History. Will be back next week. It's a brand new Misadventures in the Meantime. Big big thanks to super producer and research associate for this episode, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 3: That's right, Alex Williams, who composed this theme chrisphrosciotis Eve's Jeff Coates here in the Spirit.
Speaker 1: Big big thanks to our pal Jonathan Strickland aka the Quister. If you also enjoy food History, check out our sister show Savor with Lauren Vogelbam and Addie Reese. Christ rossi otis here in Spirit. I caught up with Christopher over the holidays. He's doing well and you guys, he has an official wizard beard now, oh cool. I asked him if he knows spells and he thought I was joking.
Speaker 3: But with him briefly also and let him know that we continue to shout him out in every episode, So huge props to Christopher, who is here from the beginning with Ridiculous History. Also for shouting out the Quist. We kind of shout out a. J. Jacobs The Puzzler. Check out his show too if you want a daily dose of New York Times fun, you know, and in a short form puzzles for your daily commute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be on The Puzzler in a different series of episodes on the way soon. You can also tune in to catch a. J. Jacobs in the future with Ridiculous History. No big spoilers folks, but got a sneak peek at his newest book, which comes out in May, and I am so excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same year.
Speaker 3: I think you got a chance to read a little more than I did.
Speaker 4: But the peak that I got was a delight. So be on the lookout for AJ's new book, and in.
Speaker 3: The meantime, we'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.