Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha, and welcome with stuff I've never told you your production for iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to our second full episode of the year. I'm just gonna start counting down and I'm kidding because I'm gonna forget all the numbers. But this is our second one. But we wanted to take some time before we really really jump into all of the deep research and profound information we love to share, especially about Star Wars and or my K dramas, to reflect on twenty twenty three, because no matter what we have gone through, is good to think back and think about the progress we've made in our growth as not only podcasters, not only women, but also just as people in general who are surviving.
Speaker 3: Am I right? Yes, yes, you are.
Speaker 2: So with that. We're not. You know, We've decided to stop trying to do predictions, which others will will do and we're happy for them, because our last attempt felt like we may have cursed ourselves and we don't want to do that again. We don't want to do that again. But we did want to talk about this past year and talk about our phase of the year and what we hope for the future, and hopefully we'll hear from you all to let us know what you would like from us, because we would not exist without you faithfully listening and tuning in and then letting us know what you think is good, bad, and better.
Speaker 3: Yeah and yeah, just what you want to hear. We do.
Speaker 1: Make a lot of content in a year because as a part of this, we're focusing very specifically on like the podcast specifically because we meant to do that, and one of our final episodes of the year, and then we just talked about the book the whole time, which is great, but so this is more podcast focused. But I was going back over all the episodes we had done in twenty twenty three and if they just cover the gamut of so many things, which is great. I love that we have this room to cover all of these topics and try new things like the fiction, our new segments. But it is a lot of content. So it was kind of difficult to narrow down some favorites. I'll say it was.
Speaker 2: It was I definitely because like, also, I can't room them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I had to go back and read through things. I was like, oh, we did that this year. I thought that was a year before last yes, that was a lot of that. For me too, it was like, oh, that was last year. Okay, souse, technically this will be my fifth year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: On this podcast. March was the beginning of me coming in here saying that I'm gonna stay March twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: To specify, yes, you can't just say March.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're correct, meaning that that would be my five year anniversary. And just in case you were confused, because you might not be listening specifically in this year, it is January twelfth, twenty twenty four as we're recording this, So forgetting that podcast exists online forever and not this is not a radio show.
Speaker 3: No confuse sometimes yes, but.
Speaker 2: With that, yes, I do want to take some time to reflect, and I thought we would do a whole like what were your phase, what do you remember? What do you have to do? Blah blah blah. So I'm going to start off with the obvious. What was your top three favorite episodes of the year?
Speaker 1: Annie, Okay, Well, I think this is really funny because I'm very biased obviously with some of them. The Last of Us Special I put part one because that was the start of it and at the time we didn't know it was going to become And so if you go back and listen to that one, it wasn't clear yet that we were going to do kind of recaps after I clear to me, it was not clear to me. But I loved it. I loved it that I got to do that for work. That was so fun. And I sound like a child when I say this, but when I get excited about something, I get so excited that sometimes I can feel sick. And you heard me talk about that recently, where I actually thought I was getting sick.
Speaker 3: From how excited I was from blasphemo.
Speaker 2: Yes, every pre episode, every pre watching, you're nauseous and sick and pacing.
Speaker 1: You are pacing, Yes, And I've done that since I was a kid. It feels I feel a little ridiculous now that it's still happens, but it does still happen. And like right now, Samantha knows, I'm giving her all updates about what's going on with the casting of season two and they're about to start filming it.
Speaker 3: I just get so excited. But it was just.
Speaker 1: For a lot of reasons. It was special to me, But I never thought it would happen. I didn't necessarily when I played the game, which I in part played because of this show, because it was like an episode Kristen Caroline did about women protagonists and video games. I never thought it was gonna be a show, and I didn't think it's gonna be a good show, and then it was a good show and I got to do a podcast about it, like oh Man.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which Nick Offerman won and Emmy four his performances he.
Speaker 1: Did, so did Storm read. Yes, they really cleaned up at the first round of the Emmys. They were doing the Emmys different this year because of the strikes, So I believe this weekend is like the big Oh Okay.
Speaker 2: I was really confused about that because I saw like lineups of like the nominations and I was like, wait.
Speaker 1: What, Yeah, they're doing it differently this year from what I understand, And I don't want to say the big because that sounds like what they did. Yes, but they're splitting it up basically from what I gather.
Speaker 3: But I believe it's this weekend, so we'll see. We'll see.
Speaker 1: But that, yes, that was one of my big ones, that whole mini series, but I just went with the first one. The episode we did making space for being ace because I feel like this year I really connected with this label. I really settled with this identity. I feel good about it in a way that like, I had still been questioning so many things before, but this year I really was like, Okay, no, this is it.
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 1: And that was when that was an episode we did where I just learned so much and it was one of the first times I had done it. I had done research on something like that after being pretty like set in how I identify, So it was just like a really it was kind of upsetting, but it was also really I didn't feel I didn't feel so isolated or alone. I was like, oh, no, this makes sense, this makes sense, this makes sense. So that was a really special one for me. And then again getting sick about things I like to talk about so much what Scream has to say about tech and media that we did with Bridget. So I think we've described this before, but Bridget usually the day of like sends an outline, so sometimes we don't know necessarily what we're talking about our toes.
Speaker 3: I do get.
Speaker 1: Nervous because I'm like, oh, well, like, how intense is this going to be? Like, what are we going to be talking about what mind space do I need to be in? And I remember when I got like an hour before we came on this outline. I was so excited. I think you can hear it in that episode. I'm like shaking, I'm so excited. And it was so fun because like a lot of times for this and I think this is a great thing, but we we researched a lot of what we talk about, which that's kind of our brand, that's what we want to do. But it was fun to be on the side of something where I've done this research, Like I was ready.
Speaker 2: Ready not only has she done this research, but what she says, she's done this research. It's been ten years in the making and doing this research.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, it was just so fun and I got to be like I got to completely nerd out about it about like, well you haven't seen the fourth one, We'll let me tell you about this. Like it was just a joy that I wasn't expecting, and yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I was. I was on top of the world during that. It was quite fun to watch.
Speaker 1: If you go back and listen to it, just keep it like I think you can hear it, But I was excited. I felt we got a bad because I was like, am I taking over this episode's Bridges episode No? And then just a couple a couple of honorable mentions for me our fiction terminus, our ongoing fiction. The first part had the final chapter, and I just felt like that was a big I was like, oh, I've closed the chapter in this book as they say. It just felt like an accomplishment and I love doing those in Christina makes them so amazing. The episode I did when Fandom Hurts, I just want to shut that one out because so many people write into me about that one, and I almost didn't do it because I was embarrassed about it.
Speaker 3: So I think that was a pretty big deal for me.
Speaker 1: And people are still talking about that, not just because of what I said, but I see it online. Ongoing conversation Women's Soccer with Whitney, my friend Whitney, because that was really cool that we get to do that with her speaking of someone who doesn't really need to do the research.
Speaker 3: Just knows it.
Speaker 1: And then digging into the exiles of Lauren and Vegas because we were in a box in Vegas and this was when the Samantha couldn't come do you just scheduling conflicts. Lauren was kind and stepped in and it was really fun. But it was also just a memorable thing that happened in the year.
Speaker 2: That adventure. I'm glad I missed, Like I wish I could have just been someone could have videotaped the interactions that happened there, because everything else is like, no, I don't want to deal with any of that stress. But it was it sounded like such an amazing adventure to have a story about, Like it's the story to tell.
Speaker 1: Yes, And uh, you know, I have one of those digital frames and I put the pictures from that trip on there, and every now and then I'll look up and I see me in a glass box.
Speaker 3: What a strange job.
Speaker 2: Such a weird It's such an odd, odd way to like be like, this is my job. Yep, okay, I love it. Well, my you know what, I'm kind of cheating as you cheated with your honorable mentions, as you typically do, because honestly, I think when we whenever we do any interview and whenever we have a guest on our show, I learned so much and I just like thrive on the conversations that we have and then leading, and this includes being with Bridget and Ease, who are our monthly segment and are part of the fam. But just this conversation and having a detailed look instead of just researching, like having a deep dive into personals in a person's activism or in a person's interest or whatever their research or something that's important to them. I love those conversations so much. So I've definitely had to put on the interview with Rika Lebon, who is the Iranian activists that have been working so hard and she's currently I believe in the US as a lawyer here, and her conversation was so in depth and so important to talk about the things that were happening in Iran. There's so much that's happened this year, and talking with her and then talking with like Daris dark Tucker and her conversations even about like the religious stuff, and I was like, what, Yeah, was a phenomenal conversation. Of course, gotcha. Junie Fox who came in and talked about her her community and the First People's Nations and what they're doing and how they're keeping their culture alive still in language and documentary and all the things she's doing about the food. I'm really excited to follow up on that. To be honest, stuff like that that, when we get to meet people who are changing the world or preserving history or you know, making history, it is some of my favorite moments to see and to have a conversation about when they dig into something that they love. I thrive on that, like I feed off that energy. I'm that energy vampire on that one, because I'm like, yes, give me more, talk to me more about this, and I hope we get to have that for later. And of course that's really later part of the segment. But so those two really stuck out to me.
Speaker 3: Those three.
Speaker 2: The episode about the fanzines, I really it was so nostalgia that when I went through that list, I was like, Yes, this was so good because I love that it's coming back and that people are remembering how important things like this is, especially when we talk about how corrupt social media can be and how all of our algorithms can be seeing things that are fake, like having something like this that is kind of still underground, it reminded me of that once upon a time, I want to be really punk. I was never punked, but man, because I was kind of a part of that scene. I was like, yeah, I'm cool, that's right. Was I ever in those?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But did I like them and purchased them?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: But that was a really fun episode to me, And of course our Haunted House episode in which we have a back and forth and I lose my mind a little bit in our conversations and you lose your mind a little bit. And then the fact that we did a one day adventure literally flying for one day two days to La so that you can fulfill your dream of going to bow haunted houses, which I loved every bit of it. I can't It was a fun episode too. We go through that, and I want to listen to it because I'm pretty sure I'm a bit astraumatized.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it was very I was thinking about this the other day because again I get so excited. Samantha is like the best of all friends you could ever want, because I wanted to go. It was the last of us hunted house, and i'd heard the one i'd been to, the one in Florida, and i'd heard the one in California was different. And then that happened to me when I was in Las Vegas, and I was like that's a pretty quick fight. I can just hop over there. And then Samantha of course came and even though she doesn't like haunted houses, but I was so excited once again. And I remember we did that video at the end where it was like the before and the after. I like, we know, I don't think we did, but it was really funny because I was at the beginning. I was so excited. At the end, I was so I remember saying, I think it was the recording. I was like, wait, am I supposed to have a different reaction?
Speaker 3: No, you have yours. It was more for me because I was like wow, I was like, uh, is the point of the videos supposed to be like a very big.
Speaker 2: Difference, Yes, for one of us at least, and it was for me. It's kind of like because we did the last of Us reaction, Yeah, a really sad episode. Yeah, And so that as it was supposed to, which we there's so many trends we have not done. We've let our TikTok kind of just die. We need to get back to that, I guess, yeah, okay. And then because we also have our beloved segment of feminist movies Fridays or whatever, days we decide to publish or what days you wanted to listen. We had to pick out the favorite movie of the year, like, it doesn't have to be from that year, just what we watched in that year.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, well I mine is across the Spider Verse. It was a Spoiled Saturday, so it counts. I think it counts.
Speaker 2: It counts, yes, I'll count it.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is again was another fun one where I got to really nerd out about like what canon and fan and then headcanon are and I love I love those movies. They're some of my very favorites. They're actually back. This movie is coming back in theaters this weekend. Really, yes, I think they're doing. I'm sure it's because it's award season probably somewhere I related, but I just know it's back in theaters this weekend. And that makes sense if anyone happens to listen to it the day it comes out and you're like, oh, I'll go, then it's.
Speaker 3: An Imax not a sponsor.
Speaker 2: But ye at the beginning, yes, none of these are her sponsors.
Speaker 1: No no, no, but there was really fine when we can The Spoiled Saturdays are always fine. I love movies in general, so I'm always yeah, pretty happy, but yeah, that was that was a standout for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I picked two that were nostalgic to me, and honestly because I loved your reaction on one of them, which was Twilight, and we really I think we really missed the mark on that one because we should have had Christina, our super producer, on there because she loved it and it would have been her age group that was the diehard. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, obviously, I did, so I'm not saying anything about that, but like, oh man, she had a whole email or.
Speaker 3: Don't throw Christina the bus like that.
Speaker 2: I got to because I want her on. I'm just telling you like her love for this, but not only that, Like I do want to go back because I think they are now back online. I don't know why they went off this marketing thing whatever. Y'all are driving me crazy. Stop being so capitalist, Like, let us watch our movies anyway. But I think the the later ones, the sequels are on now on all of the streaming so I feel like maybe this should be a giant episode and we definitely have to have Christina on for that, so that's just, you know, a future thing. But I loved your reaction and I can't wait to see the rest the last one. Oh my, I'm so we have to do it. We have to do it.
Speaker 1: I love when I almost chose that episode too, because I had a great time. It was really fun for me to also be on the other side of like, I know nothing about this. It's also really funny to me every time we do this to our wonderful super producer Christina, who has not heard this plan yet, but she shall.
Speaker 2: Ordinating. Yes, oh yes, I hope this happens. But also I had to put in fried green tomatoes because it is nostalgic to me. Watched it a long time ago. I love making you watch things that I'm like, you should have already watched us.
Speaker 3: What is wrong with you?
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding, but in my head. Because it's also based in Georgia, so you know, it shines a lot. I'm like it definitely, And we talked about the controversies of it all, and that's also important to me that we have these continued conversations so that we don't make the same mistakes, or at least we recognize it and have a call out for it or a call in for them. We can love something, but we can also say this was problematic and this is this is the reason why. So I chose both of those, but very nostalgic to me, and I'm sure there's gonna be so many. I'm already excited about our new, our upcoming one because it's one of those. I'm like, how have you not watched this? And then I realized, because you know you're you were a cool girl. Also, I think it's a little bit out of your age range, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to talk about that one too, as you know, it's gonna help me with my fan fiction. This apparently a lot of people right, fan fiction based on this film, And you said what it is, but we're just gonna tease it.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to wait.
Speaker 2: If you didn't hear that episode, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I remember when it came out. I'm excited. I'm very excited to talk about it. I haven't seen it yet, but I will obviously watch it soon.
Speaker 2: So our next thing, of course, following the movies, would be the books, our feminist book Club. What did you pick?
Speaker 1: I chose gender Queer because yeah, yeah, And it was another instance where I read it and I was like, I'm relating to this really hard. I'm kind of surprised about how much I'm relating to it. I think about it pretty often. It's still unfortunately in the news a lot when it comes to banning. Yes, but I just loved it. I thought it was really sweet and I just personally was like, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: That was me.
Speaker 2: The vulnerability and things like that in books like these are so important and so beautiful, and it definitely is owed recognition for all of that. I actually picked The Goddess of Filth, and one of the reasons I picked I'd love a good dark kill, and this was one of those that were was just good and it was just like wow, it kind of had moments of me, like and I still think about specific scenes and specific moments from that book now, Like as I was thinking about this, I was like, yeah, oh yeah, like the things that went through my head and just love kind of the depth of the darkness of it. And I was like, I need more of that. I need to come to life. Not really because I'm kind of scared, but no, no, no, I possessed, but the Goddess of filth, but the tale so I could watch it per se. But I really did enjoy that book, and I really felt like when we do a good fiction, especially in this level, that I'm like, yeah, we need to recognize it more and we need more. I need more of these. I need more of these books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that one was a close second for me. I loved that book and it was really nice too. It's it was nice to read a shorter but very like packs a lot in horror style book. I also need more of those. I loved it because it feels like the imagery was so good. I feel like I have already seen the movie, you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: In my head, Yeah, it's imprints. Okay. Now that we've kind of talked about some of our few of our favorite things, we kind of wanted to take a moment to talk about what we've learned or relearned in twenty twenty three. Annie, what are some of the things that you have learned or relearned.
Speaker 1: I did before I saw your answers. I wrote a lot about Twilight. Weeded this before my YEP, a lot about religious trauma. We did that whole mini series this year, which I think We started in March and ended in December, so.
Speaker 2: You know what a win is a win? We finished in the year.
Speaker 3: No win is a win.
Speaker 1: But that's just how long we've been talking about this. I feel like I learned a lot about divorce actually through that. Through that, and then we've been we've been looking at doing an episode on divorce and books. Yeah, for a long time. We haven't done it, but I feel like I did a lot of research about it. So with that and the religious trauma episode on divorce, I feel like I learned a lot. I did learn a lot about asexuality this year, especially from that episode I mentioned. We also when I was looking back over the episodes we did, we did a lot of tech episodes this year. We started twenty twenty three with kind Of It wasn't an official mini series, but I think once a week we had an episode about like YouTube, We had Twitter, AIBNB, COSA, Misinformation, VR, Spotify is docking, Yeah, TikTok, just to name a few. So I feel like I learned a lot about technology that's currently impacting our world and changing very very rapidly.
Speaker 2: I felt like last year was a huge year for like the growth of technology and different types of mediums. That has just blown up and it's become either accessible or necessary.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I'm sure we're gonna keep talking about that. I already have some some topic ideas around around things. But I also amazingly learned a lot about the Star Wars holiday special this year.
Speaker 3: Who would have.
Speaker 1: Thought it was possible, but I did. I learned a lot about haunted houses. This was a big year for haunted houses, for me, for you. I learned about the difference between podcasting and doing an audiobook. It's a very different experience, and I it was reinforced to me the importance of having a good, supportive co host. You've always been so supportive some of the like the episode when Fandom hurt you, you were so great, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say also having you, I've thought about this end of the day. I'm like, if you ever leave, the show might end. I don't think I could pick it up. And the way you have picked it up and the way you have like like literally made this entire platform into what we have essentially, like you created a lot of this and the way it works and how it's definitely still going because I think I would have given up.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you saying that hopefully that won't happen, but it was lost.
Speaker 3: It was difficult. So I do appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Because you do so much of the work and your patients and you always constantly they are always constantly supportive. So yes, good. I just love that we're friends too. Yes, I was thinking about that the other I had this like scenario in which I'm like, who would I invite to these following things? And you're always the number one on the list. Huh, yeah, my besties, mister who we are besties. She's coming over to hang out with me this weekend. I've already gotten food prepared, uh, because it's been too long. But yeah, So for me, I learned a little bit about the paramenopause thing I went through and talk looking at through that and I'm now watching every symptom that I have and now thinking maybe this is very I really have to stop with this TikTok thing because this messened me up. I think I have learned about the Holiday special against my will in different different scenarios. I've already been threatened to watch the documentary of the holiday.
Speaker 3: Well, so I am.
Speaker 2: Both excited and both indifferent. I don't hate it, but I'm like, I will be playing phone games during this time.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: I can probably clutch onto me and say, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: Did you see it?
Speaker 2: And then tell me extra facts, which I'm I'm part of my favorite part. Honestly. I learned a lot of stuff about Korean feminism, and I was really excited because we did a lot during the middle of the year when we talked about what's happening with feminism in Korea and how bad has gotten as well as how well has gotten. So like it's both this fight between people being more understanding and open to feminism to all of a sudden backtracking because the government is backtracking with them. So it was really interesting, but also about like the women who are fighting super hard and the men, but women uh to talk about women's rights. The feminists five we talked about. I loved talking about them, and I hope I can get more updates to see what's happening there. And then also, of course we talked a lot about the romanicizing culture of Korea, which is really dangerous. When we talked about dramas and K pop and some of the implications of society as well as the unrealistic ideals that have perpetuated from Korea, and with that has been a huge money market for them because of TikTok and things like that, with their Korean beauty items and products, which is based on unrealistic expectations. So I've learned a lot about that good in the bed, I learned a lot about the Last of Us, which I already knew a big chunk because I have sat with Annie and my partner to have at least three good playthroughs, and I have to leave at least have like three times out of the turn because it's too traumatic for me that I can't watch this, So I have to leave maybe four. How many times have y'all played through this trying to remember you made me present?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I can. I've done at least I know.
Speaker 2: You've done many on your own, and I believe friend of the show and friend in real life, Marissa and Katie are like, we want another one.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, oh, dear, yeah, we were talking about that this this morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They want to do a marathon at the show, and the people can't. People have a lot of thoughts about this, but the remaster of the second one is coming out. This is the twenty night, so I am going to replay it. But yeah, it's a it's an endeavor. It's an endeavor emotional.
Speaker 2: Again, so I've learned a lot. I have also learned that I can handle haunted houses. Would I choose to no? But can I yes?
Speaker 3: So there, yes you can.
Speaker 2: And you know, with all of this, we I think have been very transparent about things being stressful, things being overwhelming, any of that, and as part of what we do, we do want to talk about how we did or I guess maybe didn't handle our stress this year and talk about it for a second.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny because when I was thinking about this, I was remembering the episode we did previously the previous year about the same thing, and I think most of it is the same stuff.
Speaker 3: But I don't know how to feel about that.
Speaker 1: This is the year I started publishing fan fiction his first time, and I've gotten a lot of comfort from that. And honestly, it's like a I thought it was gonna be. I thought I was gonna have a much more negative experience. I thought I was going to get like really in my head and people would say something that's kind of like, oh this wasn't for me, and I would spiral out, but Efferen's just so nice.
Speaker 3: Now I'm worring. I'm getting like too big of an ego, too big of a fan fiction ego.
Speaker 1: Yes, games like The Last of Us, which some people that blows their mind. They cannot understand why a game that makes me like sob openly several times is something I do when I'm stressed. But I feel like it's cathartic. It's like, Okay, the world is really bad, let me cry at something and it makes me feel I know it's not for everybody, trust me, but for me that does help.
Speaker 3: I do have to plan when I'm going to do it, though, especially certain scenes.
Speaker 1: But anyway, lots of soups, uh soft comfy clothes. I've definitely caught myself more than I normally do this time, being like I just want to real something really soft. Yes, my favorite movies, games, music always. I got another Star projector so now I have three and it's yes, the new one is very fancy stretching. I don't do it as often as I should, but when I do it, I'm always like you should really be doing this more.
Speaker 3: Your body is tense, ca you sttch.
Speaker 2: It all this year, I'll sound of just exercising. Oh no, it's maybe I should put that in my list.
Speaker 3: I try to do.
Speaker 1: It if I'm watching you know, Star Wars with a million sim would last, but I tried to do it.
Speaker 3: When it's like, my if you're going to do this again, you better stretch.
Speaker 2: Like it's a good reminder.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did hang out with more people this year than I have since the pandemic, I would say, and it was very fun. It was somewhat stressful, but I I do love hanging out with my friends, so it was something that helped me release some stress. I got a lot of good venting done. You know you're you'rech and wine. As you say, it was very hard thing.
Speaker 2: I love of those. Yeah, I feel like I've reconnected with a few of the friends that I haven't seen or talked to them more of a regular. Two of my friends, Ones and Halifax and ones in England, we decided to get a actual thread going instead of each of us just individually, so like we're actually communicating a little more and I love that. Yeah, I missed them. I need to see them all often, Hey Elizabeth, and she doesn't listen to the show. Hey Michelle, she sometimes listens to the show. Hey, I don't blame you for me. I've been binging a lot of K drama, a lot of K drama. I think that's almost all I've watched, even though recently I watched a lot of holiday movies that were English speaking. The Holiday was in there, of course, because it came back on Netflix out of nowhere. For a while, it wasn't on there, and then I'm like, oh it's back.
Speaker 3: Haha.
Speaker 2: I'm like it, jerks. I've been keeping the peace of my mind just by just staying at home. I'm like the whole new like I've always been good about, Yeah, I'm not coming and not trying to stretch my filt self then in general, like I typically once upon a time I used to do all that, but now it's just more of like a maybe i'll come, maybe I won't keeping everything real like Lucy Goosey unless it's like, oh, it's your birthday, I'm definitely coming out or something like that. But like, well sometimes I've definitely canceled on that to I just thought of that. But like having moments of like, you know what, I really don't need to be out right now. So I've been doing that and just again sitting and watching kikrama. Uh, lots of texting and making sure to keep up with my friends through texts. Yeah, that's it. Like so I have seen my friends, which is nice, but like more so than I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna pop in with a hey, how are you send a little gift and then move on. And then I'd been doing still keeping up with my Zomba and cardio jam, trying to be really cautious because it's still it is. Covid is rampant, as well as all the other respiratory things that are happening, flu which has hit my family pretty hard, all those things, but still needing that again. I laughed because that was a TikTok about calling Zoomba clubbing for the genetic ers or millennials. It's like, yeah, yeah, because you want to dance, but you don't actually want to go out anywhere. This is as close as it gets. And then of course the phone games. I am no longer beefing with beefing with Anastasia, and I want to fight her, but it's okay. I'm okay, I'm okay. Clearly this is not stressful at all. As well as my cozy games, which we talked you and I talked about, like we downloaded a couple of like uh sequels to a few of the cozy games we played. I haven't done it yet, but I'm excited because I want to get back to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't been able to. I haven't been able to play them either, but I want to. Where does the time go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just waste so much time watching k dramas that you have to kind of pay attention to that. Because I'm not fluent in Korean. I'm now packing up a lot more probably not necessarily helpful phrases, but still I'm picking up a lot more. But h so you have to actually read this subtitles. So I'm trying to figure that out. Yeah, And I'm thinking overall, just trying to let go and try to think through any of the stressors about why I'm stressed, because oftentimes it can be biological the anxiety that rises in me, and trying to play through that as well and enjoying the fact that, yes, I'm older. I don't love getting older. But I do love being able to like be an adult and decide for myself how it's going to go that day for a lot of things, you know, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, let's talk about what we hope for the new year, as in like twenty twenty four. What are some of the things you're hoping for, you're looking forward to any of those things? And then I read your site, by the way, I was like, Okay, this will be easy, and I looked at your.
Speaker 1: Sorry sorry, Yeah, well it is a presidential year here in the US. That's all I'm going to say about it. Yeah, but I feel like a lot of us are very we're waiting for it to really hit. How stressful that will be. So hopefully that will go the way that we want.
Speaker 2: That the stressful, but for what's better.
Speaker 1: For what's better? Yes, that's all I'll say. About that plague of cicadas. So I actually love cicadas. So it sounds menacing. I'm sure for many of you it is.
Speaker 2: Right as I read this what.
Speaker 1: So one of the first episodes I did when I started as an intern at what was then How Stuff Works, So essentially like I've stayed in that position. Ish, it's just the company has changed hands so many times, so it's like I've never that has been my job. Like it's hard to explain, but I so that's what I was doing. At the time, I was editing podcasts, and that's when no one really knew what podcasts were. One of the first episodes I ever edited was on cicadas and how weird they are, and I had all these cicada sound effects. But this year two broods. So okay, can I talk about cicadas for a second, right? Cicadas come out every like thirteen years, three three years. It's very interesting biological clock they have. They're underground and then thirteen years comes up and like brood whatever will come out for that year, and they there's so many and they make that sound to basically like it's kind of amazing thing, but it's also there's so many of them that the predators will be attracted to the weaker sound so that they'll survive. Anyway, two of the broods this year. They're both prime numbers, but they're both gonna come out this year because that's just how.
Speaker 3: It lined up.
Speaker 1: And it's rarer than like it's been like since the eighteen hundreds, since this has happened.
Speaker 3: It's very very rare, Samantha.
Speaker 1: But this year they're coming out, and they're coming out at the same time, so you're gonna see alessicadas.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this information. I'm glad to know, so I'm not panicked. Also, to sound the way you're describing, I was like, oh, that was on a Supernatural episode. It's so cool.
Speaker 3: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm talking about? You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 5: Not then is the one where they're the humans are acting like cicadas. Oh oh, I think it's based on a Mexican folklore.
Speaker 3: Oh. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not gonna look at that. I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: It is very fun if you have any interest at all. I'm doing a poor job of explaining. How you know.
Speaker 2: You did a great job. I just don't like bugs, so fare I'm more horrified than anything else. But I think.
Speaker 1: Somebody somebody sent it to me and they're like, oh no, And I was like, this is the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm like, I will stay inside. I'll stay inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there's definitely I'm going off the rails. But they back at my home in North Georgia. When the cicadas come out, they'll just blanket the walls the like the garage door, you would open it and it would be cicadas. So I get it's not like the most fun comfortable thing. My cousin, who's from a family of much more money than me, he came to stay with us once and I told him about like you got to check your shoes for scorpions, and then he was like, oh my god, what is this? And then that night he heard the cicadas and he called his parents the next day and he was like, I can't stay here.
Speaker 2: They are loud. They are really loud Georgia. They're so loud.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 1: In terms of the show specifically, I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I love the collabs we get to do. They do make me nervous because I get intimidated, but I do love them, so I hope that we get to do more of that. Also, shout out to listener Lou who came on our Sex and the.
Speaker 3: City was really fun.
Speaker 2: We're going to do that again, y'all going be as elongated as you remember last time.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going for it though, we'll get there. That was really fun. We have discussed some of these clubs. We've talked about possibly doing some like live events. Not that many, but yes, that would be fun. As mentioned in a previous episode, I am interested in getting more merch for the show, maybe going to some conferences. We always have funny stories from them. Our Lazy River fiasco I will not soon forget, and I yeah, just continuing to I love that we get to do so many different things. I like that we have like our kind of segments that are ongoing, but then we also have things where we get to try new things and things that's really fun.
Speaker 3: I will say for myself, better work life balance. But I've been trying that for.
Speaker 1: A long time and I haven't succeeded, but I feel like I'm getting a better idea of how I could make it work.
Speaker 3: It's just because our jobs happen all the time. Yeah, Like it's.
Speaker 1: Like like I'll be lying awake at five am and I'm like in my head working and I think everybody does that, so it's not like unique. But trying to find a way to maybe consolidate my work hours because they're so spread out right now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, working from home. What are you in jobs like this? Working salaried a bit so much? I will say when I worked at DJJ, I worked a lot, but I stopped. I was like, yeah, I'm done not talking to you. I'm not doing this unless it's an emergency, of course, but yeah, right, yes, yeah. I think for me, my hope for the new year would be that we get more good news. More stories on how humanity still exists would be lovely. I guess some of those sometimes and it's nice to see. I want more of those, and I'm hoping for more of those as this election year is happening and so many huge things have happened. Unfortunately, the US is not looking pretty and then participating in war crimes. So but you know, a turning out of the tide where more and more people realize that the power we have or we can have over those who have power based on wealth is something that I also feel like could happen, especially with the fact that gen zers are giving me so much more hope. Maybe it's just seeing some of them coming through. I'm like, wow, y'all are way smarter than I was back then and still am, and y'all are just like firing on all cylinders and our activism to the tea and I love that, and I love that more and more people of color are coming out as leaders, and I mean that for the U like they're actually talking and being bold. I love to see that. So I'm hoping that that will grow and continue to grow because that is what we need. Uh. Yes, like I said before, like you said just now, more collapse interviews are nerve wracking because I also get nervous, you know, when I get really fangirly and I start stuttering and talking very fast. But they're so good and so informative, and I love hearing other people's perspective. It's just it's always something fun. Like the one thing that I do miss out when I don't interact is learning about people and learning about their their lives because it's so interesting. People are interesting and what they love and what they grow with or what they want to do or how they what they've done is phenomenal. If they left cicadas, even though I'm petified of this, I love hearing about how excited you are about it, Like that's.
Speaker 3: Best to an episode. Can we find a woman who's like a specialist of cicadas.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's gonna be you and her. It's gonna be I'm gonna be calling it sick. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then more in interaction with our listeners. Yes, we do want to do another interactive Sex and the City watch. Maybe we could do something else. I don't know, because we'd love to eat those, watching those and having a conversation and good, good talks about what we've learned through these episodes or since these episodes. I love that, and having more of our listeners. Of course, we love the listener mails when y'all send in things and tell us about what's happening with you or something that you love or something that you're learning. I love that so much when we connect on something that we talk about, one of my favorite things, honestly. And then also with our fellow hosts and co workers. I'm hoping again, Yes, we're doing bigger collabs, getting together in person, because I don't think I'm seeing Christina or Maya or Joey, and like you've never met Joey. I finally got to meet them. Yeah, in person, But I hope that we can all get together at least once this year. It'd be nice. We'll go to go to New York. Hey, Maya, can we go to New York as Smithy trip?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And then also I would love to get together with Bridget We've talked about that, like repeatedly. You got to see her in Las Vegas. I was very jealous of that, but also hanging out with Ease. I don't think we've talked person to person. We've done of course the Skype stuff, but would love to get together with her, have another cheesecake and champagne day. Ye lovely day.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we're hitting another milestone on the shide, but I think literally I think we.
Speaker 2: Need I think we need to bring it in and I guess we're could be at the studio because we technically haven't seen it since it's been put together like that. I guess we should go do that, but also hoping to bring in more people because we love as much as I love me any of being together of like, oh, there's other people that work here that don't know I work here, So having crossoverss is what I'm saying, more so than anything else. Some people that out love that I haven't seen in a long time, got to finally see Lauren from also from Savor and brain stuff like I want to do more of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And we had a great time with Lauren on the Diehard episode and.
Speaker 3: Fun time, so yeah, I would love that. I would love that too.
Speaker 1: And I have to say, like going back over all the episodes we did this year, it is true that when we have guests like they generally I mean generally sounds like I'm calling someone out. They like change my I'd like follow them on social media. I'm not on social media a lot, but they do. I do it, and it becomes like a part of my life. Like, so it is important and we love having that, and we do love hearing from you listeners. You send so many amazing things and put on our radar things I hadn't known about, and I love it. So we definitely want to know what you would like for this year. Any suggestions, uh, what you'd like to see more of, less of, see you more, hear more of you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Because we do technically have a TikTok.
Speaker 3: We just would you like to see more of any crying? It's like, essentially it's like me, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like mostly me crying and then wars you something.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't want to do that. I don't want to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're on TikTok more. I'm not even on talk so Samantha, Yes, that'll be funny. Yeah, we'll see all right, We'll.
Speaker 1: Let us know, please, because we do love hearing from you. You can email us at Stephanie and mom Stuff at iheartne dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast or on Instagram and Yes, TikTok and stuff Mom never TLDs you.
Speaker 3: We have a tea public.
Speaker 1: Store which hopefully we'll get some new designs needs yes uh, and.
Speaker 3: Have a book that you can get wherever you get your books.
Speaker 1: Thanks as always to our super producer Christina or executive producer Maya and our contributor Joey. Thank you, yes, and thanks to you for listening. Steffan Never Told You is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio Apple podcast wherever you listen to your favorite shows