Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining us for the special holiday edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. US markets are closed.
Speaker 2: From Martin Luther.
Speaker 1: King Day, I'm Nathan Hager, and coming up this hour, we continue bank earnings with a preview of tomorrow's results from Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley. We'll check back in with Bloomberg Intelligence senior Global Banks analyst Alison Williams. Plus we'll discuss the future of interest rates and the economy in twenty twenty four. We've got a special conversation lined up for you with the President of the Cleveland Fed, Loretta Mester. First, though, we want to focus on oil because that market got quite the jolt at the end of last week. Crude jumped following escalating tensions in the Red Sea. For more on the overall outlook for crude, we are pleased to welcome Stephen Shork, the president of the Short Group. Steven, I wonder how surprised you were by those strikes on hoothy targets in Yemen and whether it shakes your fundamental case for oil heading into the balance of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, certainly if we look at recent in history, Nathan, We've just been seeing escalation of tensions there in the Middle East ever since it all started back on October seventh. With regard to oil in prices, I've been falling client since October that I've been flabbergasted by the lack of our risk bringing in priced into this market. To quote Churchill, I've said oil prices are riddle wrapped in a mystery inside of enigma. So it's been nothing astonishing to me that there really hasn't been the reaction I was expecting. So back in October, this is what I wrote the clients that you know, let's be clear that the war between Hamas, or that Hamas declared on Israel, will not be limited to a small strip of land between Egypt and is Isel. Considering that Israel's finding the terrorist hydra of Hamas has blot in Uchis, all of which are backed by Iran, Duran dropped it certainly disguised war against Israel and choose all out conflict and all bets are off. The chance for disruption to tanker traffic through the moves, which is the greatest choke point to the flow of waterborne crudial in the world, is almost a given. So we are looking at this threat, and of course we know what's been happening in the Red City that tankers are not and traders are not going to the Zuez. They're going around the Horn of Africa to get to markets in the West. Now, that is a long trip that adds a lot of expense to the commodity, and therefore we should be seeing higher oil price. But that certainly hasn't been the case. So oil traders have in my view, I've been whistling past the graveyard. They are the go back to Mad magazine, the alfred E movemans of the commodity in the world. Hey, what me worried? With all of this potential risk to supply out there, they have not reacted to this market now. So yes, at the end of last week oil prices surged, but I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Every provocation up to this point had not led to sustained rally, so I will believe this rally is sustainable when I see it. So it's been a conundrum, and very interesting one at.
Speaker 1: That, while we wait and see. Of course, the big story for the oil market up to now has been that we've had this imbalance of supply compared to demand. Where do you see that shaking out? This idea that we've got a glut of oil in the market, and Saudi Arabia and Russia have been leading this push to try to lower production targets via OLPEK plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. Now OPEK and OPECH plus inclusive of Russia have had the wings cleft over the past fifteen years because they've never had the competition that they're facing now from non OPEC producers. So last year we had the United States, led by the United States, Brazil in Guyana leaving the world in production growth. So every barrel that Saudi Arabia or Russia or any member of OPEC attempt to take off the market has been replaced by non OPEC production. So yes, last year twenty twenty three, we had record non OPEQ production of one hundred and one million barrels a day. The IEA, the International Energy Agency, expects that to jump to one hundred and three million barrels this year. So Saudi Arabia and Russia and price hawks really have their work cut out for them because they don't have the power in this market that they had prior to the US shale gale, which began in earnest about ten to twelve years ago.
Speaker 1: So where does the power lie in the oil market right now? Is it in the producers groups like opech Plus or even the US now or is it more on the demand side what we're seeing, particularly in demand from developed markets and developing markets like China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I do believe it's on the demand side. Making where the oil bowl got it wrong at the start of last year was this assumption that China, which has been dormant really since the outbreak of COVID, that economy has sputtered it ever since. And the thinking was that in the first half of last year that all of the demand from China was going to come back and hit the market and really drive prices higher. Now that never happened because the China economy is still sputtering now. Personally, Nathan, Professionally, Nathan, I've been I've never been on the China bandwagon. And my view was they're going to go the way, They're going to grow older before they become an economic superpower that will overtake the United States. So to me, China today is looking more like Japan circa nineteen ninety two. That's a wait and see. But the point now is to answer your question. It's a demand driven market right now, so the supply can react to that demand. And what has happened is supply was held back and then we came I'm coming right after COVID. Supply production came roaring back over especially the past six months of last year, and now we do have a market that's oversupplied. Demand is not there and we know that, Nathan, because prices today on the futures curve are incontangedom. That means that prices are cheaper than they are three, six, nine months from now. So if you are an oil trader, it does not make sense to pull your oil out of storage and sell it into a discounted market. Now. That can only happen when demand is well below a supply, and that's where we're at right now. And all of my concerns about geopolitical risk with what's going on in the Middle East, but look, this is the commodity markets. All it takes is one big headline to change that narrative. With last week's headline the one that changes the narrative, We'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: So Stephen, why do you think demand is as suppressed oil as it is right now. Does it have to do with macroeconomic headwinds, the transition to electrics, milder climate, what do you see behind it?
Speaker 3: Well, certainly is a part of it is, of course macroeconomic. I'm concerned, have been concerned for well over a year now about how squeezed the West consumer is. We're looking at inflation, as we saw with the numbers last week that are still out of control, especially for food costs, So our earnings are being squeezed because of inflation. Credit Card debt is well over one trillion dollars, an unimaginable number. Interest if you carry debt on your credit card is over twenty percent. So to me, my logic here is that the consumer has to be squeezed. Yet we looked at last Thanksgiving, we had near record demands for drivers, for jet fuel, for travelers, So people are still spending money. They're accumulating debt, but they're still spending money, and that is helping to increase demand that this point. But the other side of that coin here is with elasticities of demand for any commodity. Now, with oil, you always had strong demand regardless of price, regardless of price shock. That's because we were always missing the other variable that impacts price, and that is a substitute. And today we do have substitutes. We have full electric, we have plugging electric hybrids, and so each year those markets begin to gain on the hydrocarbon markets and they start to erode demand. So yes, part of it, I do think is demand from the consumer, from the consumer side, but we haven't seen it yet. But I just hasn't shown up in the numbers yet. But clearly what we're looking at here is a combination of demand and yes, the introduction of substitutes into this market.
Speaker 1: I wonder where you see the transition to renewables standing right now. We did get that news last week that it Hurts is selling off a lot of its fleet of electric vehicles. It's raised some doubts about the sustainability of the EV market. Does that affect how things look for you in the oil space?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely. Now you know mea Koppley here, I do drive an electric hybred and I love the darns thing. It's a plug in so I can get between my seventeen gallon tank in my electricity. And I'm a homebody now because I'm an emptinester I can get, you know, fifteen to sixteen hundred miles on that one tank of gas. But here's the thing, Nathan, is I'm leasing that because I'm waiting for the technology to continue to improve. So this is the second electric hybrid I've leased over the past six years. I have no interest in buying one, and I would venture no one has an interest in buying a used one because the technology will continue to improve. So yes, the market, I do believe is hitting that roadblock because there is an excess inventory of older technology evs on the market. That rightfully, so no one really wants. So clearly that is going to slow the transition to evs. And let us keep in mind that'll evs with their battery concerns with their security, which leads to the heavy metals. So they are not in the greatest thing for the environment. They're certainly not the greatest thing for security when you consider that, where do we get all the medals that go into those batteries. China and Russia, okay, two countries they don't necessarily have the United States best interest at heart.
Speaker 1: Thank you for this, Stephen, great having you with us on this program. That's Stephen Short, the president of the Short Group, and still to com on this holiday edition of Bloomberg Daybreak, you might want to put thoughts of a March rate cut on hold.
Speaker 4: We speak with the.
Speaker 1: President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, lo Reda Master.
Speaker 2: Next.
Speaker 1: It's eighteen minutes past the hour. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is BLAE. Welcome back to this special edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. The US market is close for the Martin Luther King holiday. I'm Nathan Hager. Turning it focus now to the economy. Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester says it is premature to consider cutting interest rates as soon as the central banks meeting in March. Mester spoke with Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee late last week. Here's that conversation.
Speaker 5: Now, one of the chances that wages are going to push inflation back.
Speaker 4: Up again, well, you know, you talk to district contacts and wage setters, and what they do say is there's been discernible the malavor market they would characterize, is still tight, but it's not nearly as tight as it was before. There's still you know, jobs at demand higher wages, but the rate of increase of way pages has come down, so again we see the adjustment coming. You know, if you look at a lot of different indicators in the labor market, what you see is that supply and a manner coming into better balance. Part of that supply, the labor force participation rate has gone up. People are coming back into the labor market.
Speaker 6: Which is great. I think that's a really.
Speaker 4: Good development and that's helped us in a number of ways because it basically we've been able to do the disinflation at the same time labor market conditions remain healthy. And that's me us not have to face a hard trade off there.
Speaker 6: We knew what the job was. The job one was.
Speaker 4: To get that inflation that was exorbitant under control. We have had good progress there, but we just have more work to do there.
Speaker 6: But this year is going to be one about really looking.
Speaker 4: At the balance now between both parts of our mandate, and so we're going to be focused on and I certainly we focused on making sure that we continue to get inflation on a sustainable and time we've had back to two percent while we can maintain healthy labor market conditions.
Speaker 5: You mentioned district contacts. I'm wondering what they're telling you about their pricing power.
Speaker 4: So we hear mix as you would expect, right, So we definitely have had our contexts tell us that pricing pressures have eased, and from their side in terms of their input prices that come down, but also their ability to pass on past increases has been It's harder now, right, customers are pushing back, not uniformly, so some firms have been able to maintain pricing power, but there's fewer firms that say, you know, we're not going to push back. They have to sort of work to get those price increases in. But at the same time, they've been able to maintain their margins because you've seen goods prices and input prices come down, and so you know, wages haven't come down that much, but in terms of other input costs they have come down.
Speaker 6: Firms have been able to maintain their margins.
Speaker 5: We're going to mix pictures as well from indicators like initial job as claims, which have been flat on a seasonally adjusted basis, but on a non seasonally adjusted basis have spiked in the last few weeks. I'm wondering what your business contacts in the district are telling you about their plans for their labor force. Are they hiring, are they status quo, or are they beginning to think they might have to let some people go.
Speaker 4: So we're not hearing much at all about letting people go. I mean, you do hear from bankers that, you know, in the areas where they're not making a lot of loans, like mortgages, they've already reduced staff there, but there isn't the kind of staff reductions that one would expect to see if the economy was slowing materially.
Speaker 6: A lot of our firms are.
Speaker 4: Still looking for workers. They're still looking for workers, especially with hard to find skills. But they do say there's more applications and that fewer of their staff were quitting to go look for another job, so the conditions are still healthy. They still have plans to hire in areas where they need workers, and they don't really have plans to lay lay off any workers at this point there. You know, their order books still look pretty decent. You know, one thing that did happen is because it was so hard to find workers and all the effort that went into We do still continue to hear from firms that say we're going to do what we have to do to keep keep our workers on staff because it's just so costly to the firm if we lose workers and then we need to go back into the market told back. So that's a good thing in the labor market in terms of keeping.
Speaker 6: People attached to the labor market.
Speaker 4: And that's why I have, you know, I in my own you know, baseline forecast. I have the unemployment rate which is extremely low right now, ticking off a little bit, but not really moving up that appreciably. And that's what I mean by we can get inflation down by continuing to keep some restricted in our monetary policy, but we can also have the labor market remain healthy as.
Speaker 6: We do that.
Speaker 5: Janet Yellen, you know her, and she knows a little something about monetary policy. I said last week that the economy has achieved essentially a soft landing. Would you agree or would you push back.
Speaker 4: I think we're aiming to achieve a soft landing, and I think the incoming information that we've seen and how the economy has evolved has been consistent with that. But you know, when you look out there are some risks around the forecast, and of course my forecast is basically a soft landing, and so you wouldn't want to say, Okay, job done, We're on a good path to a soft landing. It's it's basically you know made it. We just have to keep attuned to the fact that, you know, we need to calibrate our monetary policy so that we are achieving the soft landing, and we have to be attuned to risks around that and risk to both sides and remanding. I mean, it's sense. Last year it was the inflation part of the mandate.
Speaker 6: Had to have our focus.
Speaker 4: Now as the economy has come into better balance, right, the risks have become more in balance as well, in terms of.
Speaker 6: Both sides of our mandate.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the job this year, is to make sure that we're calibrating our policy to maintain healthy labor markets even as we continue the process to get inflation back to two percent.
Speaker 5: Okay, if you're calibrating your policy, how do you calibrate it? Market thinks that May is the most likely month, but there's still a very good chance that you might cut rates in March.
Speaker 3: Where are you.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, it's hard to predict the future, as you know, and it's really going to be.
Speaker 6: Dependent on how the economy evolves.
Speaker 4: I think March is probably too early in my estimation for a rate decline because I think we need to see some more evidence. I think the December I report just shows there's more work to do, and that work is going to take restrictive monetary policy. But I do think that as we see continuing disinflation and we could get more evidence that is convincing that inflation is on a sustainable, dour path to two percent, then I think, you know, we'll have that conversation about, Okay, is it time now when we look at inflation but also importantly inflation expectations, right, is it time now to move the inflation move our FED funds rate when monetary policies start that process.
Speaker 6: Of moving it back to a neutral rate.
Speaker 4: And what I would say is I do sort of the soft landing scenario right as being the most likely, but I do think there's risks around it, and we have to be attuned to both sides of the mandate. So a reduction in the fund rate that is because we try to keep monetary policy well calibrated to what's happening on the inflation side of the mandate and epployment side.
Speaker 6: That's different than.
Speaker 4: Having to cut the rate because we're heading into a recession, so you know, rate it decreases that heap the real rate, you know, not from rising. So when inflation and inflation expectations begin to come down, right, if you didn't do anything to your funds rate, you'd actually be sort of, you know, passively saying a tighter policy. That's the part of the evaluation that we're going to have coming up. But right now, the evaluation I think is and the policy evaluation is how long are we needing to keep industrates and ontarry policy the restrictive stance. The next phase will be about, you know, okay, is it now we've seen the conditions we need to start reducing the funds rate and reducing our funds rate back to more neutral stance.
Speaker 6: I don't think we're there yet. I would like to see.
Speaker 4: More evidence that the economy is progressing as we expect it to, as I expected too, before we can do that.
Speaker 1: And that was Cleveland FED President Lorettamester speaking with Bloomberg's Michael McKee. Still ahead on this holiday edition, of Bloomberg Daybreak. We're watching for bank earnings tomorrow, will preview results from Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley just ahead. It's thirty five minutes past the hour. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. Bloomberg Radio is where.
Speaker 2: You are get live business news and market headlines from anywhere, twenty four hours a day via your mobile device. Listen to the iHeartRadio ad tune in the Bloomberg Business app and Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this special edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. Markets in the US are closed for the Martin Luther King Holiday. I'm Nathan Hager, and we're getting set for bank earnings to resume this week. Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley report fourth quarter results before the opening bell tomorrow. Of course, this follows the slew of reports that we got from the others of the Big six Wall Street banks last Friday. So here to get a set for the wrap up of bank earning season is Alison Williams, Senior analysts for Global banks and asset Managers at Bloomberg Intelligence. Good to speak with you again, Alison. First off, let's get your read on the results that we saw last Friday, it was kind of a mixed bag, wasn't it.
Speaker 7: I think that the core results across the banks in terms of net interest income and operating expenses generally looked pretty good. The difference there was a big difference in terms of the guidance. So JP Morgan, whose net interest income has proven the most resilient, and we did get an upside surprise in the fourth quarter, they did guide higher for that revenue for this year, and yes, they also guided for higher costs butt net. We think Earning's estimates are going up for JP Morgan. On the credit card front, we know that credit card is driving a majority of charge offs and provisions across the banks. But JP Morgan's guidance came in about in line, I think with expectations. And this is in contrast to some trends at Wells Fargo, where we saw the expectations are that that interest income is going to be lower this year and in fact worse than the street had expected, even though their fourth Quarternmber came in about in line with expectations. And then expense is going to be higher than expected. So estimates for JP Morgan going higher for Wells Fargo going a bit lower.
Speaker 1: So in terms of that balance between net interest income and costs, how can we see that play out for Morgan and Goldman when they report tomorrow.
Speaker 7: So for Goldman and Morgan Stanley, really what we learned from the bank, I think center is more on the trading and investment banking fee side. Keep in mind that these two banks are much more focused on the capital market side of things. For Morgan Stanley, it's really the wealth inflows that we're going to be watching. We had very strong numbers from Morgan Stanley in the first half, slow down more than expected in the third quarter, and so what happens in the fourth quarter I think is going to be key in terms of what the momentum is there in that unit. James Gorman did set some pretty aggressive goals for that business before handing off his position to Ted Pick, who takes the reins this year of the bank. And so the wealth business is really what we're watching for at Morgan Stanley. Trading and investment banking fees, which is another business that's important for Morgan Stanley but more important for Goldman Sachs. We saw across the banks that report on Friday generally a little bit softer numbers unexpected across the board. Really where we saw the weakness was at City Group and their fixed income trading line. They talked about weaker commodities, weaker currencies, So that is a little bit of a negative more towards Goldman Sachs than Morgan Stanley. Morgan Stanley's trading business is a little bit more focused on the equity trading side of things, and so we're going to be watching results there. What's interesting is Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are the two top players in that business. Goldman was the leader, Morgan Stanley sort of took that position for several years, but now Goldman Sachs is sort of back in the lead, and so I think that's that's something that investors are watching for, you know, more of the interest of bragging rights because as the top two players, they are profitable in those businesses.
Speaker 1: And I guess leadership is probably going to be a big focus for investors for both these banks. Right as you mentioned, Ted Pick is coming in as the new CEO of Morgan Stanley, and David Solomon has been facing a lot of pressure from investors over the performance over several quarters over at Goldman's Sex, how could leadership be a focus for investors looking at these results.
Speaker 7: So the big change, as you pointed out, is at Morgan Stanley, and I think investors will be watching to see what, if any changes Ted Pick will make to the strategy. Keep in mind that Ted Pick really had a lot of success in building the trading operations of Morgan Stanley for the many for the many years that he ran those businesses, the business has shifted more towards wealth and asset management under Gorman. We don't expect that shift will change, but we do wonder what kind of investments and what kind of changes Pick may make to the institutional size of the business since, as I said, you know, some of their leadership has sort of gone to Goldman Sachs. In the most recent couple of years, Golden Sacks as of third quarter, has shown the strongest gains in both FICK and equities trading over the long term. And so despite a lot of the noise that we hear around Goldman Sachs related to businesses that are not the core, we do think that that's important for investors to keep in mind. They have talked about building relationships with top clients. They've delivered on success in those trading businesses. The other area where they've focused on is the asset management side of things. They are executing across against their plan for the alternatives business. So those are two key things to keep in mind. They're the bank has definitely shifted over the past year. They narrowing their focus. So you know, under prior management they had this expansion, they were sort of reaching more towards the consumer, the retail side of things. That's not something that Goldman has typically been known for, and now we've seen over the past year sort of retrenching and kind of going back to their core business focus. That has certainly created a lot of noise in terms of charges and sales and such over the past year. We do think that their compensation costs, while we know that they've had several charges related to severns in the year, but we think that those costs actually do tend to be a little bit more sticky for the bank as the bank looks towards twenty twenty four, and most of the most of the managements have been more optimistic about investment banking fees this year What we're going to be looking to hear from Goldman, Sachs and Morgan Stanley relates really to what are their clients saying, What are CEOs feeling, How confident are they can we expect an uplift in deals. M and A is a great business for the banks. It's also a good business for the several boutiques they met. The companies have been optimistic about this business for this year. Will we get some reasons to support that optimism with results.
Speaker 1: You raise a really good point when it comes to the outlook for deal making into twenty twenty four and the challenges that could be ahead in terms of an elevated interest rate environment potentially that these banks could be facing over the next several quarters. How could that play out in what we're expecting from Goldman and Morgan Stanley.
Speaker 7: So for Goldman and Morgan Stanley as it relates to interest rates, what could be positive for the banks is if the market implied federal reserve pivot does come to fruition in twenty twenty four. So if in fact, managements of corporations can get confident in the indust rate outlook, in the economic policy outlook, perhaps that could feed into more deals. If we get a lifting confidence, if we get lower borrowing costs, that could be good for M and A. We know that there's a fair amount of cash sitting around on these companies ready to do deals. It's really been a lot of the volatility and uncertainty that has kept some of the managements on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: Okay, lots to look forward to as we await those results before the opening bell tomorrow from Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, thanks to Bloomberg Intelligence Senior banks analyst Alison Williams. And still ahead on the special edition of Bloomberg day Break for the Martin Luther King Holiday, We're going to check in with black voters heading into a pivotal election cycle. It's fifty minutes past the hour. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. Welcome back to this special edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. The US market is closed for the Martin Luther King Day holiday. I'm Nathan Hager, and as we reflect on doctor King's legacy, we want to check in with black voters as we head into a pivotal election cycle. For that, we turned to Bloomberg Black Business Beat host justin Milliner.
Speaker 8: It is because of this congregation in the black community of South Carolina, and not an exaggeration in Jim Clyburn, that I stand here today as your president because of all of you. That's a fact.
Speaker 9: That's a fact, as President Joe Biden at a recent event speaking to the largely black congregation at Mother Emmanuel AMA in Charleston, South Carolina. It's a historic black church where a white supremacist gunman killed nine people back in twenty fifteen. It's no mistake that President Biden chose that location as the site of one of his first appearances of twenty twenty four as he ramps up his reelection campaign. Black voters have long been an important voting block for Democrats and for Biden. Bloomberg White House correspondent A. Caleb Gardner talked to me about how South Carolina is symbolic for Biden and his campaign.
Speaker 10: He became president because he had a big primary win in South Carolina after not performing well in the first two primaries, and that really turned around his candidacy. And that's a huge part because of the significant black population in South Carolina. So I think it's an owde and acknowledgment of how Black voters have paved this way to the White House for him, and also that he's willing to invest in them again, and he is acknowledging that he needs to court them, he needs to speak directly to them if he wants them to turn out for him. And I think that also comes at a time where we've seen in polling that Black voters are not the happiest with Joe Biden. He's not very popular with them at this time.
Speaker 2: He is not.
Speaker 9: Recent polling from Bloomberg News and Morning Consulted has support for Biden in the black community slipping. Bloomberg White House Politics reporter Christian Hall has been on the campaign trail, and when he's spoken to black voters, he says he hears a lot about the economy, and he's starting to hear a lot more about another presidential candidate.
Speaker 11: A lot of the sentiment that you're seeing right now of how black voters are feeling, a lot of it is rooted in the economy. They're not happy with what they're seeing from Joe Biden. A candidate that's kind of picking up some traction with black voters, I would say is Donald Trump. I know, it sounds really wild, considering the rhetoric that Trump has had in the past and some of the racially divisive language that he's used, but Black voters are really interested in what he's saying, and I think that as the election continues, we're going to see Donald Trump kind of trying to court black voters more and more.
Speaker 9: Bloombers A Kayla Gardner says that if there's a pathway for Trump with black voters, it might be less to do with what Trump is offering and more to do with what Biden isn't.
Speaker 10: I think black voters right now are in a wait and see mode. They want to see more from President Biden. He really hasn't done that many events before this event in South Carolina, specifically talking to it focused on black voters. So I think they're really watching to see whether he is going to actually get in full campaign mode and go across the country and court these voters. He really has been focused on sort of these Middle America voters for a very long time, which of course tend to be wider than the average metropolitan city, and I think they've felt a little bit left behind.
Speaker 11: What's really happening is more than ever before in history, black voters are open to their two different options, right. I think in the past we saw a lot of black Democratic voters saying, you know, we have to vote for Democrats. This is what you know we were raised to do through the civil rights movement movement. We have to use our vote and support you know, this party. And I think we're seeing more than ever black voters saying I am open to someone who's going to represent me the best.
Speaker 9: That's Bloomberg Christian Hall and of course Bloomberg'sai Kayla Gardner, who are both doing great reporting on this. If we do end up with a Biden Trump rematch, a lot of pulling now sees that race being pretty close. So Nathan, it looks like how all these candidates do with black voters could end up making a pretty big difference by the time we hit November.
Speaker 1: Our thanks to Bloomberg's Justin Milliner as well as Stephen Shark of the Short Group and Bloomberg Intelligence senior banks analyst Alison Williams, we'd like to thank you as well for joining us on this holiday. We will be back tomorrow ahead of the market open on Bloomberg Daybreak, but for now, stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.