Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are.
Speaker 1: Today, who are very excited for today's guests. And FYI little rope rhymes with very.
Speaker 2: Dope, welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Jonah, I think I really nailed that, like intro with my rhyme.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't get it actually.
Speaker 1: Because of the new album got yeah and Very Dope got it. It's a little bit of.
Speaker 2: A walk as we say yes.
Speaker 1: So, Jonah, I wanted to revisit a story that we told with a previous guest, or a couple stories. One is we are very excited about our guests today and we had them on a web series that we did a while back, and one of them we had brunch with in Portland once, and you thought that we were best friends because we got along so well. And do you remember leaving brunch I had. We had brunch with Carrie and we left and you were like, do you guys talk every day?
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, but I remember you guys had really good dynamic as if you were very very close friends, known each other for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just guess I wanted to brag about that a little bit. And then the other meal we had is the first time you and I ever went to Portland. Our guest Corn and her husband Lance took us out to dinner just because they were friends with Fred. We didn't know either of them, and they were so nice to us, and you were so nervous.
Speaker 2: I was nervous, Well, yeah, because we're out, We're staying at Fred Armiston's place, and you were like, Fred's friends are going to take us out to dinner, and I like Corn and Lance. I was like, like Corn, Tucker and Lance bangs, We're gonna like hang out with them. And You're like, yeah, they're like Fred's friends. And I was like no, like I can't go. Like I was like totally having like a meltout, like like like you know all these videos, and I like got super nervous. And then I was like, Okay, I'm going to like name drop like my friends work with Dave Fridman, like they're going to think I'm cool. But I got to like put in as made references as I could. But they were so nice you guys were They were great and so, but I was very nervous, almost too nervous to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were really so nervous. And so I want to introduce our guests today, and then I want to get their takes on both of these meals. Okay if they remember them. Okay. So our guests today make up the fantastic band Slater Kinny, who are part of the riot girl scene when they formed in the nineties and have gone on to be what many people, including Wikipedia, call a very key part of the American indie rock scene. Their new album Little Rope comes out January nineteenth. Please welcome our friends, Carrie Brownstein and Coren Tucker. Hello, Hi, that's so nice. Thanks for that awesome, very.
Speaker 3: Prayer and a Wiki reference, which we always like because of the accuracy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, they always are on the pulse.
Speaker 4: Yes they know things I don't know about myself.
Speaker 1: Now, Carrie, do you remember this brunch that we got, the three of us.
Speaker 3: I do remember the brunch because I did actually feel similarly in that we had an easy rapport, yes, and that it felt like we had been friends longer than we were.
Speaker 4: Actually friends, or just knew each other better.
Speaker 3: Than we actually do, because we do have an ease, and that's to your credit, both your credit, I think, because I feel very awkward in initial meetings, but you really, you know, you just really set the stage for a very lovely brunch.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is so sweet.
Speaker 3: I remember it fondly, is what I'm saying. And I also do remember. This is the more embarrassing part to admit that. I think we really left thinking we're going to hang out a lot, and then that might be the last time we hung out.
Speaker 1: I think. And I went to your I think your book, like your sort of when you did that upstairs cool book event in New York. You guys were both there, Yes, so we did.
Speaker 4: We did some follow up, We did some follow up.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we we have also fallen short in other ways. But we live in different cities, we do, so let's be kind, right, Let's be kind to ourselves. Yeah, and do you remember that we both had or maybe I had it and you said you almost got it.
Speaker 1: That like bomber jacket from Jake. It was like almost like a short pea coat bomber jacket Jake Crew.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like this is something we have in common, is like our sort of our sort I don't don't take this in the wrong way, but our sertorial misses right, just just the ways that we I think it's from, Well, did you grow up in the suburbs?
Speaker 1: You didn't?
Speaker 3: You actually, Oh, okay, okay. I just it's that it's that urban upbringing. I think that it's hard to separate yourself from where you know, you can try to fit into these lanes that are more urbane or a little more sophisticated. Yeah, you just always are falling back on these basically the mall exactly.
Speaker 1: I would like to think that today you and I maybe wouldn't have been so into that jacket, Like if we saw it in a store today, if we start in j Crew today, we wouldn't go, that's my jacket. But at that time it felt like and it was ill fitting too, because I don't know if you remember, it was supposed to sort of be a cropped peacoat, but then it had it gathered at the bottom in a way that was like, this isn't flattering on anyone.
Speaker 3: On absolutely no one, like an elastic yeah bottom, Yeah, that's cinched somewhere that it shouldn't say. Yeah, you know, I agree that I would like to trust that we would have sort of graduated from that mindset, but I still find myself making little mistakes and assumptions about what will look good on me and then realizing that it doesn't. But specifically with that coat, I agree we would not buy that today. I might buy something similar version of the newer version of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, yeah, yeah, unfortunately. I feel like I this is quorn by the way.
Speaker 5: I feel like I have like thrown down the gauntlet and I will definitely really only buy clothes that are on sale at like a mall store at this point, Like, I just am like, what is the point? Like I order things that are expensive online and it comes and it's like this is for another person, this is like the jack ye yeah, Like I just yeah, I think I've given up at this point.
Speaker 1: I wonder though I feel like you're pretty stylish, Corn, Like I feel like you could probably find stuff that is you. I mean I do find stuff, and I think you aren't. Carrie. I'm just saying that we have like a basicness to us that I don't.
Speaker 6: Oh, okay, well basic an inborn like like no, for sure, for sure, there is there is is it's that suburbia.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: I will say Corn is a lot better than I am at a vintage find. She has the patience for that, and I just don't. I just really don't.
Speaker 1: I don't either.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But Carrie, You've you've got like some really you do have some really great things that you like, stick with like you will find.
Speaker 1: The right, try to find the try to find the compliment in this well. I will, I will, I apologize for calling you basic, Carrie, No, stand by it. I think any of our listeners if they were like, let me put Vanessa bay Or next to Carry Brownstein, they'd be like, Carrie, looks I feel sometimes cooler than Vanessa. So the fact that I'm sort of flattering myself by being like we're the same listen.
Speaker 4: But I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 3: It's it's just that mindset of sort of like having our default be something that is a little like pedestrian or populist essentially.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, totally fine with that, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Now, Corn, do you remember this dinner that we had with you in Lance And do you remember and do you remember how nervous? Could you tell how nervous? Jonah was No.
Speaker 5: I did not think Jonah was nervous at all because to backstory the dinner, freend Armisen was like, my people are coming to Portland, my young people are coming, and you need to take like treat them right. Like it was kind of like a friend assignment from someone that I that I deeply love, and so I was like trying to figure out where the right place was to go, and I was like, there's a vegetarian aspect that we need to be sensitive to. I feel like I feel like we kind of went, to use your word, we went sort of basic, like we went to like a vegetarian restaurant.
Speaker 1: I feel like we went to such a nice place.
Speaker 2: It felt like the fancies restaurant, the.
Speaker 1: Fancies restaurant we'd ever been to. You again, we're from the suburbs. Where did you take? Was it Tusk? Where did you guys go? No?
Speaker 5: No, that's the thing is like this is the kind of first of all, this is a while ago, and like when I.
Speaker 1: Think it was like.
Speaker 5: This is gonna sound weird, but like a veritable quotient, Like it was like veritable quandary.
Speaker 2: Yes, veritable quandary.
Speaker 4: That's a.
Speaker 1: Terrible name for a restaurant.
Speaker 3: What a pretentious combination of words.
Speaker 1: To us, we were like, fancy fancy.
Speaker 2: There's no flare on the walls. We were like, whoa, this is serious.
Speaker 1: And it sounded like a fancy name to us.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then we dropped off and then Lance was like, do you want to like see bars or alot Smiths used to hang out and the night, you know, and like then Lance took us around to give us this tour.
Speaker 1: It was you both knew what we were kind of looking for in the sense that we you couldn't have like made the night more fun and we were just silently freaking out the whole time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm so glad that you had a good time because I was like after the meal, I was like, oh boy, Like I hope that they don't hate Portland because it was it was such a like I feel like it was a.
Speaker 1: Overly fussy meal where the vegetarians are like, this is a vegetarian niche like an organic garden. That was all we wanted. Like that was great. Yeah, and then we did we went to a bar after it had like velvet walls or something. Oh it was it dots?
Speaker 2: I think, yes, it was okay.
Speaker 1: Oh it was Dots. I remember the name being Dots because our family friend owns a line of clothing stores called Dots. It sounds like discounted women's clothes and it's called Dots, and I remember being like, this is a different Dot, right, And that's when the lawsuit came through and they basically fell cheese fries and sadness and alcohol. Oh man, there were concert posters on the wall. Yes, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually that is like a kind of a Portland institution where it's it's changed hands, but it has been around since like very early nineties, and it used to be the actual only place you could go after a show was because it was open so late and you could eat those cheese fries and well, just for the Portland listeners that might disagree, there was also Montage just so someone you know, there's a listener that's like, actually, it wasn't the only place, so for the actually people, we also acknowledge Montage restaurant.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's so cool of you. Are you both hitting up the Portland vegetarian restaurants? Seen much? Is there much? I feel like that isn't there? I realized later when I started eating meat that there's a big meat scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think for the detriment of the planet and animals, there is a pretty big meat scene, and I am part of it, and Portland is I think there's definitely, I think a move, especially in the last couple of years, back away from that. But certainly, like about a decade ago, people really just embrace like chefs, especially in like restaurant tours, who were like Meat's back, as if meat had ever gone away, but like everything became pretty meat centric. I don't. I feel like Portland has definitely a handful of vegan and vegetarian restaurants, but I still feel like actually conn which got like Restaurant of the Year. Gregory Gordet is the chef and it's Haitian cuisine and he has both the meat menu and then a vegan counterpart menu. So maybe that's sort of the futures.
Speaker 5: Right right, Yeah, but there is there are some really really good new vegan vegetarian restaurants opening up because my husband Lance is still vegetarian. Oh right, yeah, And so there's one called Lilla that's on like Madison right before you go over the Hawthorne Bridge that is kind of amazing like Italian like chicken parmesan, but it's not it's like not real chicken, and it's actually good and I eat meat, so I'm I have like a high bar for that kind of stuff. But it's really good.
Speaker 1: And if we came back to Portland, would you and Lance take us there? One hundred percent we would. Carrie, You're obviously invited. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I yeah, it's weird that that was the one that you want to turn to, but I yeah, I'll fifth wheel it with you.
Speaker 2: Guys, Carton, you said you're into thrifting. I have a question for both of you, how do you feel about record stores? Like when you're on tour, you're in a new city, are you into going to the record stores? Because I feel like lately I feel like I'm interested and then I start going through it for like five minutes and then I'm like, I don't. I don't have that same kind of drive to do as I did when I was younger. Do you still feel that or where are you at with that?
Speaker 4: I'm with you, Jonah.
Speaker 3: When we would tour and I was in my early twenties, I mean, it was just a full reconnaissance mission, Like I just I sort of had a list in the back of my mind of the albums I was always looking for. They were mostly post punk, you know, British bands or out of you know, something out of New Zealand or Australia, and I was just always hunting for them. And I would come home from tour with a huge box of records, like maybe even one hundred records.
Speaker 4: That's when most of my record collection was built. I just don't really do that as much anymore.
Speaker 5: I feel like there are certain things though, that, like even albums that I've heard this year that I'm like, this is such a great album, I do want to own it on vinyl, you know what I mean, Like, there are certain ones that I would like. Okay, I feel like I can make an exception for yeah, yeah this album, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, if you already own it and you're like, now it's coming out on purple vinyl, I have to rebuy this version or no, I don't care as much.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like, I like colored vinyl, but I.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't necessarily rebuy something if I had it on quality sounding vinyl already.
Speaker 1: But that like there's like that gram what is it like or whatever?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that that would tempt me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know what this is exactly like, but I do remember one time being at like a record store with you, Jonah. I don't know if it was like you were visiting me at like we were somewhere and you bought so many records and you were like, sometimes I just have to do this, and it reminded me of sometimes when I would go to Anthropology. I don't shop there as much anymore. No burn to Anthropology, okay, and their home wears are incredible, but like I remember going to Anthropology once in a while and just spending so much money there and being like, sometimes you have to do this, And I thought, Jonah, buying records is me at Anthropology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you do. You guy have like a one off trip to Generation Records. I'd like, I got to buy everything. Where am I ever going to see this stuff again?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it comes to the Purple Now, okay.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. You have a Slater Canny box set that there's records inside of that. Yeah, I think it's more of a Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was actually going to add that box sets are something that I do often buy.
Speaker 3: Like Rihanna issued a box set of all of her albums on vinyl, and I bought that same with PJ. Harvey, and you know they'll throw in a T shirt. I'm kind of a sucker for that. Yeah, Replacements Tim just came out like a big you know. I like that kind of where it's finally curated and they're you know, pulling together b sides or demos or just kind of collating it into one, you know, beautiful like piece of art.
Speaker 4: That's pretty to me as a collector.
Speaker 1: I think of it as art too, because you know, you guys gave me a box set and I have it really prominently displayed at the top of my bookshelf, and I have a lot of records displayed throughout my living room, but I don't have a record player. And that's that's tough to admit to people that gave me their records, including Okay.
Speaker 3: But it makes me think you're now a very easy person to shop for. Like everyone listening, you're probably gonna end up with ten to twenty players.
Speaker 1: I'm like, my god, which one should I get for her? This is this is on Joan I He'll figure it out.
Speaker 3: But do you know that one time I sent Laurene a record player and vinyl for his office.
Speaker 4: Wow, I bet you I loved he did like that.
Speaker 1: He did love that. He was very appreciative. That's really thoughtful.
Speaker 3: That's a cool move, Carrie. It must have been for his seventieth birthday. I think I did that for Wow.
Speaker 1: That's so nice. I love that. I don't know if it was for his seventieth. But one time I gave him as a gift I had drawn in high school. I had done made this like drawing slash painting that was all these different scenes of Chris Farley and like Tommy Boy and Black Sheep and ban downed by the river. And I got a copy made of it and I got it framed for him. That's a great gift. I think he appreciates something like that. Yeah. I think he put it up in one of his offices somewhere or something. But I think yeah, because like everyone's getting him cufflinks, right or Yeah, what do you get for what's the standard man gift? Yeah? Cufflin, a plant, yeah, plant, a flask like a flask. Yeah, he's got tons of those, But how many record you know Chris Farley illustrations. Well, with that, we're going to take a quick commercial break. We'll be right back with corn and carry and we're back. Okay. Well, we asked you both for a topic and give us so many good topics, so many good ones. It was very tough to decide, but the one that we chose was the Juicy Fruit skiing commercials and theme song. Do you want to talk about why, why you thought of that or what that meant to you?
Speaker 3: What it meant to me? Well, this is such an earworm to me. I get this song stuck in my head. This is not a joke or exaggeration. Two to three times a year it will just pop into my head and I don't know what the trigger is, you know what sort of weird mnemonic device is hitting it. It's like, but it's a very infectious song. It's really dumb, you know what I mean. Like, it's just dumb in the way that jingles. Successful jingles are sort of silly, you know, There's there's a silliness that they have to land upon in order to just kind of drive you a little crazy. And it has so little to do with gum who cares? Like the song it's about skiing. It's like also this time of like forre gum. I obviously the Juicy Fruit people or the order the ad agency was like, we want to associate juicy fruit with like sport, specifically winter sports.
Speaker 4: Like it's all about getting your skis shined up.
Speaker 3: Grab a stick of juicy fruit and then it then it gets very double on tundra.
Speaker 1: It's like if they're.
Speaker 3: Talking about like pulling it out, sticking it in, stick it in your mouth. It's like the taste is going to move you when you pop it in your mouth. It's like what is happening in your mouth? Like it's just a piece of gum, but you're on the slopes, Like it's just there's so much going on, it makes no sense.
Speaker 4: And I just think.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, gum has lost its way, Like who thinks of gum and athletes or gam and skiing.
Speaker 4: It's like this was a great era for gum.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, now I think we should watch the skiing commercial first. We found quite a few of them, but maybe we should just watch and at least for our listeners, they can hear the jingle just to kind of get us in the mood to move us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get your skis shined up, Grab a stick of juice of food.
Speaker 3: The taste is gone to move take a snill.
Speaker 1: Pull it out. The taste is juicy fruit.
Speaker 2: It's gone and move yup.
Speaker 1: Chose tried to yum juicy tastes the taste and taste of now. For people who couldn't watch that and have never seen it, someone on YouTube described it as a ski trip is underway. Is a truckload of twenty somethings arrive at the slopes curiously. Although several participants are appropriately dressed for the cold weather activity, many others are clad in mere shorts. Once the squad arrives on the mountain, several elect to hang back and chew gum, while others display Olympic level ski jumping techniques.
Speaker 3: That's so true, Like the difference in skill level there, Like you have some people that are so bad at skiing they can't even get on the slopes, and then someone else that's basically doing yes, you're right.
Speaker 1: Like may have won goal.
Speaker 3: Also, no one's wearing a helmet, right, like, no one, no one. I mean granted it was an era aware no one wore helmets, but I'm more aware of it watching it now, just being like, oh, that's a terrible thing to do without a helmet.
Speaker 4: I guess the gum. The gum might protect you, but.
Speaker 1: It is crazy the level the skill, this range of skill levels, that this group goes skiing together whatever.
Speaker 3: They would never be friends. I mean they might be friends off the slope.
Speaker 1: Right, they wouldn't go on these kinds of trips together.
Speaker 4: I guess the gum brings them together.
Speaker 3: What about when they just the gum is going by the other person's nose, then they literally say, grab a sniff, Yeah, grab a sniff. But what's I mean? That's a sniff? To me? Is just not a selling point to almost anything, right, Like, catch a sniff of that.
Speaker 4: It's not even whiff, it's sniff.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because they they've always been really general about what the scent slash flavor is of juicy fruit, like on purpose, but it says the ad Agency BBDO characterized it as a combination in two thousand and three. Finally they characterized it as a combination of banana and pineapple. And some people say it resembles jackfruit. H But anyways, have you ever seen we can watch it. There's a water they kind of up the ante. I don't know, the sniffing and sort of the like they wanted to like kind of capitalize on the like sort of sexy factor of like maybe the people that decide to wear shorts or whatever. So they did a water skiing version where it's you don't have to change the song that much because it's still technically you can still shine your skis, but let's watch the water skiing version, which.
Speaker 2: Like musically has a different vibe to a little yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's see.
Speaker 2: You shine upw.
Speaker 3: It's it's gotta taste a.
Speaker 1: Little more of a country vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little Twang Year I think for sure, Twain Year, which is interesting because I don't think of water skiing as like, although maybe maybe it's kind of Gulf Coast like it's like for the Bama the Bama crowd or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But again, that shot for those listening when they say the taste is going to be moving when you pop it in your mouth, it's always a very it's it's always a woman slightly there's something a sexual undertone to the way the real close up on her mouth as she's like popping the stick of gum.
Speaker 1: In Also, have you ever that was a real eighties thing in the early nineties. Like I think when people would eat sticks of gum, they would put it in like a stick, and I always I would try and do it that way, just to be like, this is how you're supposed to eat gum and be like, no, that doesn't work. Like it's the most complicated way to eat gum, but it's the only way to show off the gum as you eat.
Speaker 3: It, right, Right, is that kind of curved, Yeah, it's it's really actually it's showing off a technique there.
Speaker 4: They're sort of it's very instructional.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. But also do you see what I'm saying that they were trying to like up the sex vibe of it. Oh yeah, right, for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean at the very I feel like that's where always they were going with Juicy Fruit because she at the beginning of that clip for those who haven't seen it, a lady is kicking off her top too, like she's wearing like a tiny little tank top underneath her sweatshirt or whatever.
Speaker 1: But like that's the opening of the video.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of the it's just like this sort of perfect eighties commercial, right, was like sexy lady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, put it.
Speaker 5: In her mouth and where are we just having so much fun?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, but it is a co ed commercial.
Speaker 3: Like there also is like a guy without his shirt, Like it's really sort of showing off the kind of jocular like again, you're right that they up the ante like they were like, actually, juicy fruit can elicit even more athleticism from you, not just skiing, but now now like water skiing and more tricks.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you know, I will say this though nobody that group to me is more realistic in the sense that their skill level is more there's no one doing Olympic except that one guy who's like, who can like.
Speaker 2: A dancing in the he's breakdancing in the water.
Speaker 1: He seems like he's just like the show off. And he's you know, just the one guy who's he's like, oh, we grew up going to the beach every summer, you know, like he just has so much skill. But other than that, I feel like this group is pretty believable in this sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you, Vanessa that I felt like this was a realistic group of friends.
Speaker 4: Like I belive there was a believability.
Speaker 3: Factor in this one, Yeah, which I really appreciated. I think that they dialed it in casting wise, like kudos to that casting agent and.
Speaker 2: Kara to your point, I guess about the song. I mean, I hadn't heard the song of probably twenty five years, but I probably heard thousands of times in the eighties, And as soon as it kicked in, I was like had a visceral reaction, like it is so catchy.
Speaker 1: It's so catchy.
Speaker 3: And first, I mean that guitar tone at the top is terrible, but it's it's like terrible in that way that you're you do a little like shoulder dance. You're just I mean, yeah, it's We will be singing the song all night, and as people listen to this song, when they hear the podcast, they are going to look up these videos.
Speaker 1: They will have this song in their head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Corn, what are your thoughts on the song?
Speaker 5: I think it's kind of bizarre, like get your skis shine of grow, Like it's just it's so weird and unique that it is incredibly memorable. Like I just want to work backwards from like where that like, okay, we need to promote the gum, right, We're gonna go skiing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but I do think they did an effective job because I don't know if you remember this, but like when I think about having juicy fruit gum, I feel like invigorated, Like I feel sort of like ready to, like you know, not necessarily hit the slopes, but like there is something about it that it almost feels like like they've branded it to be almost like Red Bull.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, which yeah, because I think of Big Red and that's another gun from that area, and nothing comes up, like I don't have any sort.
Speaker 1: Of just me eating too much of it and then my mouth starting to burn, yeah yeah, yeah. Whereas with juicy fruit, you could sort of have you could eat that whole pack, and.
Speaker 5: That's like lunch in the nineteen eighty jesy fruit that's also what you were supposed to eat during the day.
Speaker 2: It was just gone right right now, did you all know?
Speaker 1: And Olivia brought up for a second, there was an earlier juicy fruit commercial with a different song that's sort of similar. We can listen to it. And actually the band Aha said that take on Me, Take on Me like used to be called the juicy Fruit song, and that they were influenced by this Juicy Fruit commercial to right take on Me. So let's go let's watch this original. So I don't know. I don't know why Juicy Fruit would have then changed their jingle, but obviously it worked for them. They took a swing. Anyway, Let's let's listen to the original song that that influenced.
Speaker 4: Aha, I love this. You're blowing my mind right now.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: Sunshine.
Speaker 5: You can't.
Speaker 2: Another Sunday start shot, start.
Speaker 3: Sh little bit reggaees and little I mean very very little, but yeah, definitely a hint there. I can see where it was going up and they were doing the take on Me bye a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't seem I don't hear it a ton, but they said, they said, like we partially got that song from.
Speaker 2: Have there been any Slater Kinney songs influenced by commercials?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not consciously.
Speaker 3: But what would be amazing is if there was actually a handful of huge hit songs like take on Me that were influenced by the second Juicy Fruit commercial. Like what if this Juicy Fruit jingle writer actually has influenced a ton of Billboard.
Speaker 4: Top one hundred hits. Wait, did you look up the jingle writer?
Speaker 1: No, we shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should. Definitely we should look up.
Speaker 1: The jingle writer. I don't know who I do, and maybe it's just because I'm more used to it. I do find the newer jingle to be so much more catchy than yes than the Pocketful of Sunshine one. But isn't it funny that they do some of the same moves in the commercial, like the visually, like passing the gum in front of someone's No, instead of like passing it to someone who's next to the person, they pass it to someone who's two people away, so that the person in the middle it goes right under their nose and they can smell it.
Speaker 3: They can smell it, but they don't get it. They don't get to taste it.
Speaker 1: Right, It's they get such an tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tease of the gump. They get a good sniff though.
Speaker 1: They get a good sniff in there, and that's sort of you know, that's part of the Then then that became part of the sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's right because in the Pocket Full of Sunshine, they don't allude, they don't call out the.
Speaker 1: Sniff, but they show it.
Speaker 3: And so I wonder if like audiences or the ad writers or the Juicy Fruit corporation said, you know what that that's pretty crucial to our brain is we got sent for the perfume.
Speaker 1: Were the perfume of gums. We want people to even on the radio to know that this is something you gotta smell. And you know, it's funny because for people listening that Pocket of Sunshine, that original commercial, they're being active, but not quite as they're sailing. So they're they're not like windsurfing or windsurfing. Excuse me, they're windsurfing. So actually that's a pretty active sport, but there's it doesn't quite have the excitement of watching someone do crazy ski tricks.
Speaker 3: I will I will point out that Juicy Fruit was was going for a very specific audience, like these are sort of like middle to upper class sports. These are not This is not soccer baseball. This is not an every person sport, right this this they're differentiating themselves as a gum for almost like private school kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like resort people who go to resorts.
Speaker 2: I have to picture these people going camping having like all the gear you.
Speaker 1: Know, and then lamp in Jonah.
Speaker 2: They're going lamp and they got all the tent all the fancy gear and then they're like, let's go to a college football game this weekend. And then they're like going to the game and they have like all the logo merged, like they that's kind of the.
Speaker 1: Crew and the day that they're not skiing or what activity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's an elite gum. They're trying to differentiate themselves from Doublemint, you know, which is just a bunch of like sexed up twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that's another one that I completely forgot that they branded so hard with Twins. Like in a way, that's like how I'm supposed to buy this because Twins heated.
Speaker 2: It's so much, it's so literal all this stuff like the Doublemint or like in this commercial where they're like everything that they sing the song has to happen on screen at that moment or people won't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this is if you take a sniff, like we'll show what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And also there's almost nothing grosser between friends or family than asking someone to smell something like that's never a good setup.
Speaker 2: It's also like the most art official stuff, I guess in two thousand and three, they kind of revamped some of the ingredients and they changed the sugar to aspartain and s sulfame potassium.
Speaker 3: But aspartain's terrible for you, Like that earlier iteration, I want the old school juicy fruit gum with lots of sugar, just yeah, lots of pineapple whatever was in there.
Speaker 1: Now, apparently they did a collaboration with Starburst where you could get Starburst flavored juicy fruit gum in fruit punch, cherry, and watermelon flavors. So that's taken your standard juicy fruit gum and adding those artificial flavors to it in a way that absolutely makes me want to throw up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like the four loco of gums. Like that doesn't sound appealing, but I like that they did a collab you know again, Yeah, they were just such early adopters of these trends.
Speaker 1: You've got to stay relevant, you know, like you have to collapse.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a high end gum that was totally sophisticated. Yeah, Like it's basically it's it's high fashion.
Speaker 1: It's runway. It's runway. It's runway gum and gum. I think it still exists, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It does exist. It's been discontinued in a couple of countries, okay, but it is still available in the United States. Yeah. I haven't been in the gum aisle in the wild, but I think it's there.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine buying it, And I don't mean that as a burn to it just feels Wasn't the other thing about those gums, which I guess is true of all gum in the like eighties and nineties, that like they lost flavor really quickly. Yeah, isn't that sort of a everyone's going really silent in a way that makes me feel like I said something controversial.
Speaker 5: No, I think you're I think you're right, Vanessa, because I feel like I feel like the next gen of gum was the flip that lasts a whole long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like we asked so much more of gum, and then following decades we were like, I want to have a bright smile with my dog.
Speaker 3: Right, whitening whitening gum like teeth whitening, but also addressing bad breath like this says nothing about like like now gum is marketed as sort of like a breath freshener, but this is it's almost like a stimulant like in this case, like it's like a gatorade or like a I don't know, yes, is just a strong like foreplay tool.
Speaker 1: I guess part of the reason that it's branded so much like it's again like like a sort of a red Bull type thing is because it didn't really do anything except be something to chew on, so they had to give it like a strong like again, like if I put a piece of juicy gum in my mouth, I think I'll feel ready to like rage like or just like take on the world.
Speaker 3: That would be amazing if that was your secret, like when people asked about your process, if juicy fruit was part of that, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, keeps me up, keeps me present, like I just present grounded.
Speaker 3: It gives me that kind of realness. But I absolutely agree that this kind of gum is the gum that tastes terrible after you chew it like ten times, Yeah for sure, just an unrecognizable flavor in your mouth and like very hard as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, you know, oh go ahead, Jonah.
Speaker 2: And and then it's like what do you do with it? You got to have somewhere to spit it out. You know, like there's that whole thing.
Speaker 1: It does come with those rappers, though, You've got a little rapper if you can hang on to that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Do you guys remember the gum where it was like you were supposedly could eat the wrapper because it was like edible.
Speaker 1: Oh people said that about Dantine gum. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember eating a lot of paper.
Speaker 1: I remember it was sort of a it was sort of a childhood party trick for mine. For me, I'd be like, I guess I'll eat this gum in the paper and people would be like what, and I'd be like, it breaks down in your mouth, you idiot.
Speaker 4: Oh, so these are like early this is like early performance for you.
Speaker 1: These are like.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was the gum? That was the striped gum? That was also fruit striped gum?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really liked I really liked that.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then bubble tape, bubble tape. Whoa, I could down a whole bubble tape in one sitting.
Speaker 3: You really said the word eat, like you know, this is not for a swallow, remember that?
Speaker 1: What about?
Speaker 3: How about let's address the rumor that people had this sort of apocryphal tale that if you swallow gum.
Speaker 4: It would you would never digest it or would be in your stomach for.
Speaker 1: Like thirty years system forever. Yes, yeah, I think they've not known it's seven years. Wait for real, really no, seven years? Wow, some of us have just gotten rid of gum recently. Is it really seven years? It's so funny that before the Internet you could just say your whole life and people would be like, uh huh, and what about did you ever? Jonah was really into Big League two? Yeah, which were those little which in retrospect is so disgusting. Jonah. It's just like a bag of shredded gum.
Speaker 2: It was marketed almost as like chewing tobacco for kids. Yes, for little leaguers, yes, but I remember being on the baseball team being like, oh, we gotta eat this. This is like what adults do or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was like candy cigarettes, Like it's shocking that parents would buy this for their children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'd just be stuffing shreds of gum in your mouth. That was truly discussed.
Speaker 2: Root beer flavor gum. Yes, good times.
Speaker 3: I will say it felt like bigling chew was very gendered, like it was definitely marketed a little heavily towards boys.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Agree, and to me also, we never got to have bubblicious and that kind of gum because that I don't know that that was marketed to girls. But it felt like sugar cereal or something like. It felt like it was so bad for you that are we couldn't have it in our house. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Remember there was also that differentiation for a while between like sugarless gum, right like or sugar I right, probably is a response to the juicy fruits and the striped of the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, A four out of five dentists approved, right, right right.
Speaker 7: That dentist approved to the point where they almost got you in a like I think corny when you were talking like there were almost gums where they implied that they brushed your.
Speaker 1: Teeth for you.
Speaker 5: Well, if four out of five a dentists approve, you're like, yeah, well that takes caver everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm done with my toothbrush. I just threw mine out. Olivia, our producer, said the original pitch of Big League Chew was a healthy alternative to tobacco.
Speaker 2: So that it was like the first version of jewel of the Jewel dates right, but.
Speaker 1: It was marketed yeah, maybe. Do you think it was marketed to like baseball players who chew tobacco at first? And then they were like, we're too we see right through this. And then kids were like, we don't wait. Olivia says it was literally it was. It was marketed to adults at first, big league chew.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's tough.
Speaker 1: That's shocking to me because it's like adults are so smart, not all of them. Guess yeah, all.
Speaker 2: Right, we're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back with carrying corn.
Speaker 1: Now we're back. Does anyone have any final words about Juicy Fruit, the commercials, the jingle, or should we just have it be in our heads for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 3: Well, I invite everyone with me today and all the listeners to get the song in your head two to three times a year. I think it's a real It's as refreshing as the gum.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: I also invite all of us to go on a skate trip together at some point, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And you don't have to. And that's one thing we learn from Juicy Fruit. You don't have to ask people are you good? Are you bad? Because if we've earn one thing from the Juicy fruit skiing commercials, it's that you go in a big group. It's not about that some people wear shorts, some people wear pants. Everybody's just there to have a blast. It's not having a blast.
Speaker 3: And I also, I just want to just say to the gum industry, like time to get fun again. Yeah, you've lost yours or shine and you've lost the smell.
Speaker 4: It's not just about, you know, freshening the breast.
Speaker 2: So true, so true.
Speaker 1: Well, now we're going to play little game with y'all. It's called change dot.
Speaker 2: Door Change dot door.
Speaker 1: Otherwise known as let's make fun of people who don't know how to use change dot org. And in this game, we'll bring up three different somewhat nostalgic things that people are trying to bring back with petitions unchanged dot org, and we'll kind of at the end, we'll each vote for our favorite the petition that we would sign if we had to sign one of these petitions. Okay, so this first one is a petition to change the name of cheesecake to cheese pie. And this person said, cheesecake is a lie. Cheesecake shares nothing with all known cakes, chocolate cake, vanilla cake, lasagna, and pancakes. It's about time we recognize this as it. I want to change all references to cheesecake to cheese pie. Now, some of our listeners may remember we in a different episode, we brought up a petition called Lasagna is Cake. And I was shocked that this person included Did you notice that when this person.
Speaker 5: Gonna ask you about what why is lazagna?
Speaker 1: Is this the same person you think? I looked it up to see if it was the same person, and it was. It didn't seem to be, although they might have just used a different name. But this petition came out three years after the Lasagna is Cake petition, and the Lasagna is Cake petition was made out to non believers, and this petition was made out to humanity, And so I feel like, if this isn't the same person, it's someone who was heavily influenced by Lasagna is a cake. But yeah, I found it. I found it odd that this person was listing kinds of cake and they included lasagna.
Speaker 4: It undermines their argument, but yeah, that's just me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they're going to be such sticklers, then why are they including that. Yeah. What do you both think about.
Speaker 2: This changing cheesecake cheese pie?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it goes back to the Lasagni thing, like if if the category of cake is actually that broad, then why shouldn't it just be cheesecake. Yeah, you know, I think I'm fine with cheesecake. I see a pie as a very different shape. Yeah, I guess, But I also I don't know. I don't feel strongly.
Speaker 5: I think the problem is that they're they're up against cheesecake factory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's right corn. Yeah, yeah, say that to those, to those CEOs, tell them to change it. They're going to re name the restaurant. I think you've got more power than them. Yeah, also cheese pie.
Speaker 3: It just it's like you need you need that consonants, that second consonant right in the second word there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jonah, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I agree, I agree, you know, And it's also like, you know, do we got to do we have to label everything? You know what I'm saying, Like you know, you two know it. I'm sure your band's been called you know, like Indie Racker all this stuff. It's like it's just music, It's just a dessert. You know, we don't. It doesn't need to fit in a box.
Speaker 1: Well, this does have three hundred and forty signatures. How many do you need?
Speaker 2: It's a big right, right, probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They keep moving the goalpost, like if you get five hundred, they say you can get thousand. It's always you can never get there. Okay, but that's still not bad. I mean, there are three hundred and forty people that saw this and we're like, I'll sign Yeah, Vanessa, what are your thoughts on this one?
Speaker 1: I actually I'm not a huge cheesecake person, Like I don't love it, and I think part of the reason might be I'm not saying that I would sign this, but I'm just saying I like cake more than cheesecake. And there is something someone made a comment on this petition where they said cheesecake has a crust and no actual cake. It is very clearly a pie. And I think that, Like, as a kid trying cheesecake for the first time, I was like, what the hell. I think that's because it does in some ways resemble a pie. So again, this person, to your point, Carrie, has completely blown their argument by saying that lasagna and let's be honest, pancakes are cake. But that having been said, I think they could have made a better argument, and I would have been more on board, is all.
Speaker 3: I'm also thinking that it's also a miss appropriation of cheese. Right, It's like so many unexpected elements in cheesecake. It's not what you're expecting from cake, but it's also not what you're expecting from cheese.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: Maybe it should be called like sour pie.
Speaker 4: You please start that petition. I'd sign it.
Speaker 1: It sounds a little less appetizing, but it is more of like a sour cream pie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just imagining that on like a menu, like for Desserve tonight, we have a sour pie.
Speaker 2: The sour Pie Factory.
Speaker 4: Right to Corn's point, that's a huge change.
Speaker 1: It's just sort of such a rebranding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's tough, all right, So I think we're in agreement on that one. The next one is called Christmas has Santa Hanuka Needs You? This one says everywhere you turn these days, it's a sea of red and green. While Christmas is certainly deserving of all the attention, there's another December holiday that's largely ignored hint it's called Hanukkah or should we say Hanukkah.
Speaker 1: The grammar on these isn't always Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going to kind of self edit as we with Harrison Ford as a new face of the Festival Lights Hannukah, Like Han Solo, Okay, now you get it. Hanukah can walk out of the shadows and into the spotlight. Please sign this position to convince Harrison Ford to become Hanukah's new spokesperson. Only Han Sola himself has the star power to make the Festival of Lights that much brighter. Cornating Carrie, what do you think about making Harrison Ford the face of hannka.
Speaker 1: I'm up for it. I think he might be up for it. I mean if he did Indiana Jones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like the most recent one is like number five something like that. I mean the guy is like he fulfills the role.
Speaker 1: Yeah why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why not? Yeah? Hanka?
Speaker 4: Right, So you're saying it kind of has its own holiday.
Speaker 1: Sort of like I thought about this too. I thought, what is this person asking for? It's hard because Santa. I think they're saying in the way that Santa is the face of Christmas. Harrison Ford should be the face of Hanukkah, but maybe dressed as Hans Solo. And I think it's tough because Santa very clearly has a role that's associated with Christmas, whereas Hans Solo and Hanikah are really only similar in name. But I think they just want like sort of a spokesperson for Hanukkah in the same way that Santa is the spokesperson. Right.
Speaker 4: They're combining their interests here, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: They they want Hankah to have be personified with a friendly character, and they love Star Wars there, and they love play on words, and they're just trying to combine all these things. It feels a little forced, and.
Speaker 4: That's that's maybe my criticism.
Speaker 3: Plus, it just it's again that kind of christmasification of all the December holidays, Like, right, well, we don't really need to make everything more like Christmas.
Speaker 4: Christmas is great as is.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I feel like it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of nice that Christmas has Santa and Honika as something else and kwansask something else, like yes, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Jonah, what do you think about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think this person has to be way more clear on what they're asking for. It's way too confusing, Vanessa.
Speaker 1: Something that I hid from you all, which because I am the person who found this petition.
Speaker 2: You have Vanessa found this.
Speaker 1: Yes, is this person made a video okay kind of stating their case. And something that is tough on change shot org is that a lot of people use it to promote their comedy careers. I feel that this person like made a whole video where they were like, what's going on with Hanukkah? Though, like can't we have? And I felt, you know, I say to these people, this isn't the place to get your stuff seen. Okay, this isn't Again, this is a misuse of change shot org in the sense that not only is it not what these petitions are supposed to generally supposed to be about on change dot org, I think, but also this isn't where you're getting viewers, you know. And I I'd like to give this person the benefit of it out and think that maybe they put it on YouTube or something as well. But this feels like I read the petition and was looking at it before I realized that there was an accompanying kind of like short comedy film that went with it. And I can't really support this person because I because I don't think they are supporting themselves.
Speaker 3: If I'm being it's yeah, I see there's a contrivance here. It's it's not even an earnest saying right.
Speaker 1: And I'm trying to see it had seven supporters. That's low. That's really low. And that's kind of what the person's bar is. Okay, if they're putting their material on change dot org again, a great way to get stuff seen, but not in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I see you want to get into our last one.
Speaker 1: Sure, this last one is called rename the American Football House the Slater Kinney Halfpipe House. And this person says, EMO is fine and all, but did you know that Slater Kinney played in a half pipe at the American Football House in the late nineties. That's significantly cooler than Mike Kinsella.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so the American Football I think it's in like somewhere in Illinois, and it's on the cover of this kind of like legendary record on polyvinyl for American Football. And I guess this petition is saying that Slater Kinney performed there inside of a half pipe. I think it's in Urbana or something. Does that sound familiar to either of you.
Speaker 3: We performed inside of a half pipe in Urbana, Champagne or champage in Illinois.
Speaker 2: I think it's somewhere in Illinois.
Speaker 3: Well, we did once. Is it in Gailsburg, Illinois? We played there once. I mean, we've played a lot of weird places, but I did we play a half It's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in Urbana, near the campus of University Illinois, Urbana.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay. It seems like we can never have Mike Kinsella on here because I one hundred percent thought this was like the Canton Hood Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize You don't realize it was a band. You thought this was an actual football reference. I thought like, okay, so next time I'll help with this this. Yeah. Yeah, So no, it's a band. It's from the cover of this record. But the Polyvinyl Records recently bought this house, and so it's kind of like, oh, it's a house, it's a house, it's a house. Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh then yes, we probably did play there and its absolutely should be renamed.
Speaker 4: Yes voting up vote, registering under multiple names.
Speaker 2: Yes, did Slater? Can you play a lot of house shows?
Speaker 5: Early on it was probably like on the Call the Doctor tour.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was Barrett like that tour.
Speaker 5: I want to say, ibooked to that tour, Like I made like so many weird phone calls and just had this weird thing of notes and we would just get in the van and drive and stay at somebody's house, play the house. There were like a handful of clubs, a lot of weird colleges on that tour.
Speaker 1: You don't remember being inside of a halfpipe thilk corn, you don't remember.
Speaker 5: I mean that tour so super weird that like, I feel like that's the tour that it happened on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you talking about the first dig Me Out tour or are you talking about talking about Call the Doctor? Oh with Tony, Yes, that is more likely. We definitely played some weird houses. New Orleans would have played a weird house there. Yeah, it would have been. It would have been there. But they're saying late nineties.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they said late nineties.
Speaker 3: So that would have been ding Me Out or Hot Rock. I don't think we definitely weren't playing I think it's mid nineties. I think WARN's right they might be considering ninety six, late nineties, late night only because by the time dig Me Out came out, we had a professional booking agent who would have not booked a house show.
Speaker 1: But do you think they would have booked you at the Canton Football Hall of Fame, that.
Speaker 5: Guy not after dig Me Out? No, he would have been like, what, but we'll try to play there on this next tour. We've never I've never been to Canton.
Speaker 1: Oh yah. I think I've driven past the Hall of the Football Hall of Fame in that's most of my Oh. I've been to the Kanton Akron Airport, which is a great airport. If you if you end up playing Cleveland and you want to go to an even smaller airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, flying into the Beachland Ballrooms, fly right into Akron. You can drive an extra hour.
Speaker 4: I love Beachland Ballroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, great venue, great venues. So what did you think about this petition to rename the American Football House the I guess Slater Kenny Halfpipe House. I said yes, you said yes, Okay, you said yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean why not? I feel like we have to root for ourselves. Sharge sort of athletic you know where it is. They're sort of conjuring sports and we should just be leaving for our team, even though it is a really like pretty at album cover. So I feel like we have a a very uphill line for us.
Speaker 2: A lot of people with the tattoos of this album cover are going to be confused.
Speaker 3: But confused but easy enough to change probably when Yeah, that's why it's good enough artist good artists important?
Speaker 1: Do you think? Do you agree? I sure? I agree?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, we want to like brand that you know, and get our name out there.
Speaker 1: Sure? Why not? Yes?
Speaker 3: For a band that is not even sure that we played this place where definitely we're going to fight pretty hard, probably probably bring the legal team.
Speaker 1: Don't know what about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough for me, you know, I like, I really like both of these bands. I'm friends with both of them. But look, Karen Corner on the podcast, they're here, you know, they showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where's American football? Probably out there practicing their pitch or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll support Vanessa. Yeah, we get it. We get it about the name, you know, it's confusing for you. What are your thoughts on this one?
Speaker 1: I go and I'm sure they're a great band, and I don't mean to bring them and I hope they you know, but the name's confusing.
Speaker 2: Okay enough, I know that their fans of years also been essay.
Speaker 1: Okay, I am fans of theirs, and.
Speaker 3: They'll do the podcast and they'll root for themselves. We're also open to a timeshare or hybrid perfect.
Speaker 1: I think these fans, while I respect them, they're huge Slater kindy fans. It's like, you don't have to pit one band against the other, you know, we can on.
Speaker 4: A football you almost said Slater football.
Speaker 1: Sorry. I actually think that that might be kind of a cool tour. You you and American football and it's called Slater football, and you all get out there, you know, and you know, maybe throwing a song that is about you know, halftime.
Speaker 3: Halftime, Oh, halftime, half pipe, halftime on the half pipe.
Speaker 1: Halftime on the half pipe. That's actually something that would be such a cool collab. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like kind of what Juicy Fruit and Starburst did back in the day.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we've figured it out well. So if everyone had designed one petition, you have to pick one now. And the petitions are change the name of cheesecake to cheese pie. Christmas as Santa Hanika needs you the han nikot One and rename the American Football House to the Slater Kinney Halfpipe Pouse. I haven't made it easy on anyone because I don't know if anyone feels strong, but we usually don't. Jonah, do you want to go first?
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll do cheesecake to cheese pie. It's I feel like sort of based in reality, even though not really. What does anyone else think?
Speaker 4: I actually think I'm with you, Jonah.
Speaker 3: After I thought about it more, I find the whole notion of cheesecake absolutely misleading.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Coryn, Yeah, I think that we should make that change, and the cheesecake factory is just going to have.
Speaker 1: To get on board. Yeah, it's a new day. It's a new day. I have one hundred percent agree at cheese cake to cheese pie. I'd like to make a small adjustment though, cheese cake to sour pie. That's my pick. Sure, sure, Okay.
Speaker 2: So you guys have a new record coming out January nineteenth, Little Rope and the movies to anything else you want to promote anything like that? Where can people find more about the band that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, people can go to our websites laterkinne dot com. The album comes out January nineteenth. Our music is available on streaming services and of course at your local record store if you so wish to buy the vinyl or maybe cassette or CD version of our album, and you can come see us on tour hopefully. That's really all we want to say. We'd love to see you on the road. We're excited and we're happy to be here. And yeah, let us know what you think about the record. Yeah, put it in the change change dot dork for.
Speaker 2: Next week, make a petition, Thank.
Speaker 1: God, make a petition.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Carrying Corn for coming on the podcast. Thanks everyone for listening. If you enjoyed that, please subscribe and keep an eye out for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: We will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like the juicy fruit gum commercials. Thank you so much, Thank you so much.