Speaker 1: You guys, and this is history.
Speaker 2: What you've done.
Speaker 1: What show up?
Speaker 3: You guys have built a platform.
Speaker 4: That intes out it's the world's most dangerous morning show. Girls, DJ Envy every playing by record, I've made that, Charlamagne, God Major things that you're liking, your controversial questions, just take your clock.
Speaker 1: I expect this club.
Speaker 3: This is my favorite show. Wake that ass up. Bruss Club is own.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Usa, yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 1: Yo, Charlamagne to God, Peace to the planet.
Speaker 3: It's Monday.
Speaker 1: It's Martin Luther King Junior Day.
Speaker 5: That's right, And what I expect to see today is a bunch of people hosting memes about doctor Martin Luther King Jr. But instead of doctor Martin Luther King Jr. Y'all are using Jonathan Majors. And I want all of those images of Jonathan Major just to be in black and white. Okay, that's what I need from y'all today.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, of course we're not in today's so today is the best of show.
Speaker 1: We're gonna give you some of the best of material.
Speaker 3: We just got back. We've only been back a week.
Speaker 1: It's not our falls the federal holiday.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm definitely taking doctor Martin Luther King Junior.
Speaker 1: Now all right, well keep a lock. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning.
Speaker 4: This is your time to get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eighty five five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Hello, who's this? What's happening with we out here?
Speaker 7: But yes, I just want to get out my test. It's nothing wrong with a nine to five, Like you gotta do what you gotta do to get to where you need to be. Hey, do what you gotta do? You know people be find to down play nine to five like it's not what's topping no more. But I just got out my nine to five. Nine to five is getting me a crib the car, so yup, I bet you.
Speaker 5: I bet you're making more money at your nine to five than you. So called entrepreneurs are making that that own their own businesses, that don't have no boss.
Speaker 1: That's fact, no for real, no for real.
Speaker 7: But hey, if you want to be an entrepreneur, you know it's working for you, like do work for you? Everybody be seeing stuff on the internet and they be like, oh, let me do this when you do this. But you know, like I said, be your own person.
Speaker 5: It's such a ridiculous narrative when people are ashamed to have a job nowadays, you know what I mean. Like one of the things that I've always encouraged people to do is, man, go to trade school, pick up a trade because we need people out here that know how to do age back. We need people out here that know how to you know, being to be electricians. We need plumbers, you know what I'm saying. We need we need contractors. We need these people who know how to do things with their hands. And guess what y'all always gonna eat? Yeah, no, always think about.
Speaker 1: It right now. It's with the time and who's probably.
Speaker 6: One of the first people on the phone lines the HVAC guy to make sure the heat work that's right, the plumber to make sure that the pipes don't free, or mechanics to make sure your car is running through through the winter.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, don't get my oil changes today. I'm cleterally going to go get my oil change today. And guess what, I'm having to get my old change every other month. So clearly they always eating.
Speaker 1: That's right. Get it off your chest.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred five eighty five one oh five one. If you need the vent, call us up right now. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, the Breakfast Club. It's a new days. Is it your time to get it off your chest?
Speaker 3: Way up?
Speaker 2: Whether you're mad or blessed, time to get up and get something.
Speaker 4: Call up now. Eight hundred five eight five one o five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: Who's this Top of the morning, Andrey Wes Cracker.
Speaker 1: This is Montana, Montana. What's up? What are you calling from?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 8: I'm calling. I'm calling from the holiday right now. I'm a truck.
Speaker 9: Brother, I'm crossing a white stone, but I just wanted to check that and stay much cracking to doing, Uncle Charlott man peace give them all three weeks without job.
Speaker 3: Oh man Man, we're back though. How you doing? How you feeling, brother?
Speaker 9: I'm feeling blessed. Flock in Holly savor Uncle Shawla. I gotta raised right before the new year. My kids are healthy, that's right, and I'm at one. I can't complain.
Speaker 3: There you go, you go, We'll be safe out there.
Speaker 1: You're in that truck.
Speaker 3: Now, you're man, you know what I need?
Speaker 8: Can I get up until I go to cock?
Speaker 1: Shout out ahead, brother, please?
Speaker 9: All right, We'll give a shout out to my daughter Princess, to my daughter Brooklyn for my fun Blake and my oldest fus Tboa.
Speaker 1: I love you job all right, bro, be safe on that road.
Speaker 10: Saya.
Speaker 1: Hello, who's this?
Speaker 11: This is Laura.
Speaker 10: How are you doing? It's funny?
Speaker 1: Hey Laura, good morning. Get her off your chest.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna get off my chest about this. He asked about the gamers being home and how old your kids have to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yesterday we had a ten road. You know what age would you leave your kids home alone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Thirteen fifteen for me is a good age to leave home. It all depends on your kids. But as far as a gamer, definitely not ten. My son is twenty four. He plays in his room. He has on noise block in his headphones.
Speaker 8: He's heres absolutely nothing.
Speaker 10: The alarm goes off, he hears nothing. I have to go into his dad room for the kid's life on an office. Who's to turn around?
Speaker 8: Even though that's something even in the house.
Speaker 10: I've been in the house for a whole hour. He doesn't even all.
Speaker 6: I mean that, Yeah, that's what I said about my son. He don't hear nothing with them head phones on. You could be screaming his name. He don't hear nothing. You got a damn the lawn shake him and he gets scared. But yeah, nah, I feel you. I agree with you, Mama.
Speaker 10: Yeah, don't lead him all.
Speaker 3: But by the way you said, you said your child is twenty four. Goddamn, that's a grown ass man.
Speaker 12: He's a grown ass man, right, And my thirty year old will come over, right, my thirty year old will come.
Speaker 1: And play with him.
Speaker 10: Ing. They don't know. They got no idea in the house. None those headphones are.
Speaker 1: I don't lead him all, none of them.
Speaker 10: I don't trust none of them. They'll burn your house down.
Speaker 5: I just want you to know, Queen, if you can't trust the twenty four year old and the thirty year old, then something happened along the way that you know, Yeah, you might you might want to reevaluate.
Speaker 10: I don't trust them at all.
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 10: All right, I don't have a letter.
Speaker 3: You too, man, ma'am, don't call up here talking about your kids.
Speaker 5: Won't leave the house and twenty four and thirty big as kids, He said, I can't leave home alone here they twenty four to thirty on. What was the comedian saying when she was like that penis too big to be in my house. You gotta get a job. Who was that the lady from Elementary? I can't remember the since the names funny as.
Speaker 6: Hell, Get it off your chest eight hundred and five eight five, one oh five one if you need to vent and hit us up now.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Yes, our next guest is an American comedian after ny radio hosts.
Speaker 6: He is best known as the cast member of the Comedy Central Sketch comedy TV series Chappelle Show.
Speaker 3: Is that how he's best known.
Speaker 1: You also might have seen him on the wire and even did a little no No, no no.
Speaker 3: Why was born in Washington Changing?
Speaker 1: He grew up in alexand Change, Why, Sir s Air Force, I don't even stay in South Korea?
Speaker 6: A Ladies and gentlemen you might know from The Chappelle Show and other works like The Corner Guy, Code Guide, Court and again, like I said, he was even inviting ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Is this the new cloned them.
Speaker 1: It is this a new envy we bring to you down there?
Speaker 12: Raw.
Speaker 3: I don't want that one more than everybody I'm telling, how are you? I'm pretty good today.
Speaker 1: Good to see you. I love your red sox red.
Speaker 13: Y'all don't know that's what it is. That's right, take a look at it. That's the dude down there. Nice suit, Thank you, sir. You know what I'm saying. Fellas spiffy DILF dilf and if people don't know what the acronym is is for dedicated involved loving father. And one of Y'ALLU reported me on Instagram. Somebody reported me it was either you or you because I posted a picture. I posted a mean which I always do. I posted a meme and it was weird because usually when I post means to disrespect y'all, it goes ham and this being get a close up on this, this one right here, and this was just I saw that one right It got five comments, five lights, and one of y'all reported me for yes, and what did you?
Speaker 3: Reported me?
Speaker 6: I was kind of mad that you you took my face out of my picture and it on the woman's picture, and then you put him on my face.
Speaker 13: The only reason complexion. They got licekened. This picture got licekened legs, so it finished fish and fish.
Speaker 3: Trying to look at that it got lifcenined legs.
Speaker 1: I was actually wondering why didn't why that that picture didn't go far?
Speaker 3: But not yes you did?
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 15: You just that?
Speaker 14: Yes?
Speaker 13: No, I deleted it because I was like, it's not getting the engagement that I want.
Speaker 3: And that's why you want your lawyers.
Speaker 13: Suit this time, my lord, seat and black people, we have bore to one suit. No I get as soon as I wear a suit.
Speaker 1: People like this.
Speaker 3: You got caught you all right? Somebody getting married. I'm just trying this. This is a new day, it's a new dawn, it's a new life, and I'm feeling good. This is this is my new thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can we start this over? How were you doing? We have down that wallers in the building. I'm going down.
Speaker 13: I was so excited to come up here. Everybody's like, get them, get them, get them, get them, get them. I didn't want to do it because there's too much beef out here.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about your comedy show, please?
Speaker 13: The comedy show I have. I'm doing the New York Comedy On this right, it's ninth through eleventh, but bigger than that. On the tenth, I'm taping my Netflix special produced by Dave Chappelle's I'm I'm excited about that pause.
Speaker 3: I'm coming that pause. I'm coming. I'm coming to the show. It's gonna be, It's gonna be. I'm excited about it. I did it. I spoke spoke about this before in this platform.
Speaker 13: I did it before. For some reason, we just said we're gonna shelve it, and we're gonna can it. We want to start all over. When I did the first one, Dave said, down there, you're funny, but just being funny does not make a great special.
Speaker 3: So this was two years ago, so I had to go back to the drawing.
Speaker 13: Board, you know, not reinvent myself to say, Okay, what's gonna uh make this special special?
Speaker 3: So this stuff that I'm talking about is self reflective of me. Why why did it take so long for you to finally get a special done now?
Speaker 13: Because it wasn't the right time as a performer or entertator. And this is what people go crazy when you try to compare yourself to what other people doing. And you see somebody else getting a certain amount of acknowledgeable whatever, do like, why.
Speaker 10: Is it not me?
Speaker 3: And years ago I felt that way. I said, it's not me because it's not the right time.
Speaker 13: You know, I'm doing in New York. I'm doing in New York, specially in New York. I'm doing my special New York at at the hard Rock Hotel. They got a beautiful ballroom space. And then we're gonna trick it out. Shout to Ricky Hughes, shout to Dave Chapelle, shout out to stand Latham. But I'll just put it like this, it's just the right time.
Speaker 5: But you're not like other comedians who go out there and have been doing the same material for years, right the every time I see you, you got different material.
Speaker 13: Because for the most part, I'm a road comic, right, So if you're a roll comic and you're going to these different places every year, people are gonna be like, I'm sick of him doing the same thing.
Speaker 3: And I tell you, it's a lot of comics out here today that they just go for the money grab. I've heard, so I won't say any names.
Speaker 13: I heard people like, oh man, I seen them I see the same thing, but I always challenged myself to come up with different material to elevate, and like you said, a lot of.
Speaker 3: People that come to my shows, they would agree with it. I'm always doing something different.
Speaker 13: That's why what Dave told me he wanted to do the special Olds, I could have been like, what are you talking about? It was funny, but this is the same guy that got over like four Grammys and me's so if I'm going to take advice from anybody, I'm gonna take it for him. And his words were, Donelle, I can put you in front of room and your rip. It doesn't make it a great special. But I think where I'm at now with my stand up, like I say, it's reflective of me.
Speaker 3: It's my life.
Speaker 13: I'm talking about stuff that people can relate to. Co parenting, you know what I'm saying. I'm talking about and I know this is your favorite. I'm talking about mental health. You know what I'm saying. I'm talking about stuff that people can relate to. And I think, just go around, it's gonna pop. You changed a little bit, because at one time I'm.
Speaker 3: Supposed to change. We don't change. You should change too.
Speaker 6: If you didn't think Charlemagne was serious when it came about mental health, but now you believe it because.
Speaker 3: He was always serious about it. I was just sick of it. Oh.
Speaker 13: I was just like because I came up from place I did not understand mental health any issues, and it was a stick man. I gotta say, you have done a great job of exposing that and let people think you feel comfortable to really talk about it, because I grew up in the era where we didn't understand any of that. What we needed to do fix it all? Just get a shot of Hennessy. You know what I'm saying, local joint, You know what I'm saying, blow a load or whatever. That's how we dealt with it.
Speaker 2: So I do.
Speaker 13: I do agree with you, but now I think people being abusive with it. Now you can have a conversation without without it triggering some type of mental thing. You gaslighting me, U respect my boundaries. My baby mother hit me with a new joint the other jet. You would notice triangulation, triangulation, it's a it's another mental health where this mental health where she hit on me was so she hit me with was so good?
Speaker 3: What was the context? An argument?
Speaker 13: Okay, something She was like, oh, that's true. I don't know what it is, but it was so good. Three days later I called her and said, what was that mental health? New mental health word you gave me? So I do understand that, but I think people lean on it and just make excuses for stuff, and I think that, you know, sometimes people got.
Speaker 3: Got tough a little bit.
Speaker 5: Triangulation is when a toxic or manipulative person, often a person with strong and assistic brings a third person into their relationship in control.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: That sounds limited and no communication between the two trying me was except through the manipulator.
Speaker 3: Oh we talk about words?
Speaker 1: Are you gas like me?
Speaker 3: Now? No, I'm not guessing. Care what about this delusional?
Speaker 1: Do you care about my mental health right now?
Speaker 3: I do care about your mental health? The gas?
Speaker 1: Do you mean right now?
Speaker 3: I'm not guessing hurt?
Speaker 16: All right?
Speaker 3: All right, I'm not.
Speaker 13: Gonna get this too, because I know y'all got a relationship at Charlemagne.
Speaker 3: Whatever you do, don't love bomb him. Do you know what love bombing is?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Give us a definition of love bombing? Love bombing? I forgot what it was.
Speaker 1: Hook it up. You got to compute it.
Speaker 3: I do know what it is with the technical definition.
Speaker 13: You know who's not love bonding right now and I want them to come together. It's DJ Academic and Saucy Montana whatever thing is, Yo, this is a crazeous beef.
Speaker 3: I've ever heard of the end of that.
Speaker 13: I have never ever heard of a sheep disrespecting the heat and challenged him to a fight.
Speaker 3: Yes you have no not like that, but yes you know this ship is not is it?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 3: Forget it?
Speaker 16: All right?
Speaker 1: We got more with Don hell Rawlings when we come back. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: This morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody is DJ MV Charlamagne, the guy we all the Breakfast Club was still kicking it with down now with Rolin.
Speaker 3: Because even with that clip you seen me, I did not know that was announcing you're special. I didn't know it said.
Speaker 1: Clip.
Speaker 3: I did watch the clip, but you know why, because your brain wanted to hear something else. Because I read the headlines, I'm expecting to hear something else. But I'm like, clickbait. I've seen this before. I feel like I've seen I've seen done. I've seen him do this in person. Yeah, I mean you got rich, bitch, no, but that was the whole clip. Get him in there. But you know, we'll see.
Speaker 13: But I'm I'm telling you when I say I'm excited about taping this special a career comedian, most communities like this, I want a special. And years ago I was felt stronger about me wanting a special. But when that didn't happen, and I kept grinding and I kept building my fan base. Everything now it's like my fans wanted to happen.
Speaker 3: We people will do specials to have this type of career you've had.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and you know, it's so funny you say that because I said, and not being I said, I don't need a special. You know, like the last couple of years is probably the most money I've been making in my career. I'm showing difference in my tenants or whatever. And the thing that I like, what I'm building now is that with that, you can never cancel me.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: If I don't work for a network, if I'm not bonded to one thing, you can't cancel me. Because I got people that I've been building these relationships with for thirty years that are going to continue to come out and right now with the fact of me taping one before me going again. Right now, I'm not excited about this because anything could happen, Anything could happen between now and me taping it. Then what do I have to fall back on the fact that after thirty two years of doing comedy, I could put my name on a marquee and people still come out and check for me.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you one thing.
Speaker 13: When it comes to see me, everybody says, I think he's one of the funniest comments to do it.
Speaker 3: I tell you that all the time. But you just started.
Speaker 1: It just started.
Speaker 13: You just started, you know, you just started. When I first came up here, you tried to compare everybody to me, and I was.
Speaker 5: Like this, I said, Donelle is one of the funniest stand ups on the planet, I said verb batim. I saw Donelle on stage with Daja Pelle, Marlon Wayiams. Who else came out that night? I remember said it entertainer. Maybe maybe this was a couple of years ago when y'all did Radio City, and I said, Donnelle was the funniest person on that stage that night.
Speaker 13: And it's not because I am the funniest, It's just that I just when I go up there, I just have a different energy after I've never phoned it in anytime I'm go on stage, and we're talking about hundreds of thousands of shows.
Speaker 3: Every time I go on stage, I'm going up there to kill it.
Speaker 13: And it's not too many people that can say I've had nights where it wasn't as good as other nights. But I mean, in regard to consistency, I think I'm one of I don't think I know I'm one of the most consistent. We just did a show in Atlanta. It was one of the day's arena shows. It was Me, Marshall Brandon, Kevin Hart, and Dave Right and I went up on stage and I just it was just like bombs right. And then when I get on stage and you're looking at it like a Dave multimillionaire, Kevin the multimillionaire, you know.
Speaker 3: But the praises they gave me and in.
Speaker 13: Respect they gave me after that, you know, I'm like this, You know what, Donille, You're doing something right. It's one thing to be accepted by your fans, but it's another thing to be accepted by your peers, especially the ones that it's super successful because it is easy for somebody that's up here to look down at you and try to compare how much money they make it to you. But me and Kevin we talked. He looked at my face, he said, donielle Man, I'm so proud of you. I've been following your journey live the brotherhood that you and Dave have.
Speaker 3: It was a very humbling.
Speaker 13: Experience because I remember me personally paying Kevin Hart seventy five dollars to do a show, fifty dollars to do a show when he came from Philly, and when he was doing what a lot of black comments don't do. He was playing both sides, not just a black circuit, but he was playing the main street circuit. And I've seen the work he put in, and he could easily be like whatever down there. But it felt like back in the day a sitting in the green room and having those conversations.
Speaker 3: Treat you, treat all stages like they're your own.
Speaker 13: After thirty two years, I still love doing it, not just to make the money, but I love challenging myself. I love finding that new joke that and I'm telling you, if all goes well with this special, the materiity that I'm doing and what I'm about to do, I'm about to pop it because I really believe that comedy is about to make a flip. Last four or five years, everybody's I can't say this, They're gonna counsel me.
Speaker 3: I can't say this. Now.
Speaker 13: You're starting to get watered down comics and people are editing themselves before they even go up there. But I think with everything, there's a shift, and I think people are fed up with it. There's a lot of people that are like, they don't subscribe to counsel culture, and I think it's gonna go back to, you know what, raw comedy. And I'm not saying like off color comedy, just somebody speaking from their heart and what they feel.
Speaker 3: I don't think that. I don't think y'all have ever stopped doing that, though we think that.
Speaker 5: I think the problem with the game now is everybody's trying to be edgy on purpose, and it's fake right because everybody's like, shock, I'm gonna be real, I'm gonna be the shocking president. It's not coming from a real place. Back in the day, even when we were doing it, it was shocked but we were just having a good time to day.
Speaker 3: What it is is stop using gimmicks. Just be funny.
Speaker 13: When I first started, it was a thing like you we knew it was gay comedians out there, but nobody wanted to say it. They wouldn't say that. It was like, all the crowd is gonna look at me a certain way. And then so when you had a comedian that went up there and said I'm gay, it was like, oh, but now some of the comics from certain communities, that's all they want to talk about.
Speaker 3: That's all they want to talk about. Don't talk about that. Just be funny, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: I like, like, like you gotta like commute, be funny, be funny, be funny, and just and stick to stuff it's true to you. But you know, somebody told me a long time ago, and I was like, why these people don't do this, why these people don't do that? And Big Tigger told me this. He said, Donelle, everything you said, he said, that's what makes you special, you know. And and that's what I want to make special about this special because there's a lot of people that get in specials and I can watch them and not to be critical to people and I could I watch them like this. Oh, they just wanted to do an hour worth material. They didn't have the beginning, middle end. They just want to do that. They didn't wanted to clear a check. And to be quite honest, there's not too many things that are special about a special but I want this one to be one with people quoting it, you know what I mean, saying stuff back in the old day when Gooney Google, you know that, that type of thing.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited about it. So what do we gotta do Friday to be a dispecial?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 3: Is it open to the public. It's not open to the public.
Speaker 13: If you go to my website down are Rawlins dot com and then you'll see a list of my dates. It's the New York Comedy Festival November tenth, but I got I'm promoting the entire the tire week a part of the New York Comedy November November nineth eleven, Thursday. It's my first show Friday. I got two shows which will be taped Saturday. I got two other shows. I'm I'm very happy about this. You can go to n Whitecomedyfestival dot com and get tickets, or you can go to Donnie Rowlands dot com and get tickets.
Speaker 3: And I think after I do this, I'm gonna it's time for me to take a vacation. Okay.
Speaker 6: I will shout to Donelle for joining us. Make sure y'all check them out at the New York Comedy Festival. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 4: Let's say, if y'all talking about it, you know we talking about it. It's tothing times called eight hundred five eight five one five one to join into the discussion with the Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody's DJ env Charlamagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club now if you're just joining us. We were talking about something in Front Page News earlier today. It was the fact that Florida Border Education approves new Black history standards that teach house slaves develop skills for their personal benefit. So we were talking about, since they're pulling pretty much black history out of schools now and pulling out the books and don't want to teach black history, what do we need to do as a community to make sure that our young kids actually know what went on in black history and the future generation, and how do we educate them.
Speaker 1: That was the question that we were having this morning.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, like I said earlier, you know, you can't depend on white institutions to teach teach all kids. You know, that is something the Nation of Islam and other great black leaders have been telling us since the beginning of time. For me, I feel like we just got to encourage our kids to read. You know, we have to recommend books for them to read. I was blessed to have a mother who was a Jehovah's Witness and an English teacher, so you know, she kept the Bible in my face and watched Howers and Awake. So that was the first little child was exposed to. Then we had the book at program when I was a kid in elementary school and I was reading four books to get a free pizza, and my mom told me read things that don't pertain to you. That's when I started reading Judie Bloom and Beverly Clearly and all that stuff. And then my pops, you know, he gave me books like The Autobiography of Malcolm X, which let me down a rabbit hole of wanting to know everything I could about the NI but also any book that I saw Malcolm X reference, I read it, you know, And I've always done that. If I read a book and then they reference another book in that book, then I'll go read you know, that book.
Speaker 3: That's why I thought, you.
Speaker 5: Know, when somebody like Nipsey Hustle was alive, you know, he was so brilliant because Nipsey would always reference different books in his interviews. Nipsey Hustle even had a booklest that he put out, you know, And I think that's that's what you have to do. You just got to encourage, you know, our kids to read and recommend them things to read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 6: I said earlier that I think we need to develop more programs like even in the church, right, a lot of black families go to church together and have those days where we teach about our black history and black heroes. But also I think as parents, I think parents need to knowledge themselves, you know, because it's very difficult to teach your child if you don't have the proper history.
Speaker 1: It's like anything else. Like you know, my father's a retired police officer.
Speaker 6: He was able to teach me laws when I was a kid, and teach me about just things as far as you know what to do if I get pulled over what laws mean and how did judicial system work? Because he was part of it. But like you said, I think we have to educate ourselves so we could actually educate our children, because there's a lot with Black history that I'm still learning now because I honestly wasn't taught as a child.
Speaker 5: I envy people who've gone to African American studies, you know, I mean I love the way, you know, somebody like an Amanda Seals can just reference history so quickly, somebody like a Michael Eric Dyson, and you know, we know, we know the literacy ration black and brown communities are high.
Speaker 3: That's a whole other conversation.
Speaker 5: That's that's actually why Kevin Hart and I started our company with Audible SBAH Production, because you know, I think that sometimes it's not that kids aren't reading, there's just other ways for them to get that information. So instead of reading, now they people are listening, you know. So it's like I always had the idea, even though we did put out you know, Finding Tamika and some of some of the eighty five. Some of eighty five is about you know what happened the Move organization in Philadelphia. But I always taught that kids. Always thought that kids could take in this information by listening. I lost my train of thought just now, the hell, I lost my train to thought.
Speaker 3: Like oh, I would say, I think. I think that kids can.
Speaker 5: Learn, uh, you know, more more by listening now than actually picking up books and reading. Yeah, And I wanted celebrity, That's what I'm gonna say. I wanted celebrities to do the audio books, right. That was that was an idea we had when we launched this company. Have celebrities reading audiobooks, right, And you know, Audible kind of took the idea and they had Lawrence Fishburne read The Aughter Biker for you and Malcolm X.
Speaker 3: But that's fine as long as it happens, you know.
Speaker 1: But but you know what too, And I would also say this for a lot of parents.
Speaker 6: A lot of times we take our kids to you know, on vacation, and vacation can mean many different things from many different people. It can mean taking them to Six Flags, it can mean taking them to Miami for Disney World or whatever. And I think sometimes and that's fine, but we we're gonna have to think of alternative things to do, like going to experiences, right, but like going to museums like the museum that just open up in South Carolina National America when that's opened up in DC, and even when in South Carolina, I want to go to because there's so much history, right you learn that's where you know a lot of that's where the first ships came.
Speaker 1: That a lot of us, you know, touch down on this land. So I would learn. I would love to learn that history.
Speaker 6: I've been fortunate enough to go to Africa and fortunate enough to go to South Africa and see these different places that you know, from where from where Bob Marley was in Jamaica to where trying to think of some of the houses that we went to over there so many different houses.
Speaker 5: Even with that, and you're absolutely right what you're saying, but just speaking from a person who has the financial means.
Speaker 6: Right, But that's what I'm saying, like instead of maybe going to six Flags, going to the museum, and sometimes there's museum that prices are not that expensive. They're ten dollars for ticket, and I'm sure a lot of times they do it for free. Just to teach our own but just experiences like that that we can actually see, touch and get there the proper knowledge.
Speaker 3: How about your how about do something as simple as go get a library card. That's true, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Go get a library called and then go, you know, look up some books to go get. I always tell people all the time. Start with the autobiography of Malcolm X. There's a great book that I read when I was young, called from n Words to Gods by a Kill And the way that he wrote the book, he wrote the book the way we actually talk, you know what I mean. So it was like he's cursing in it and he's using screet binocuas right, but he's educating at the same time, you know what I mean, Like everything don't have to be eighteen letter Shakespearean.
Speaker 3: Words right for you to learn.
Speaker 1: I think I was able to go to Nelson Mandela's house.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 6: I was able to go to where Nelson Mandella grew up. So I was able to see it. But I had the means to do it. But before I had the means, my mom had me and those museums. But let's go to the phone lines. We got Jamisha on the line Jamisha, good morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, Jamisha.
Speaker 11: Hey my god, I want a first day that I love you guys, and I listened to you guys every morning.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Jamisha. We appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I just wanted to time in and just give my advice. I'm a thirty seven just to give you guys the idea of where I'm coming from. I'm a mom of a threeting boy, and I tried to just share stories with him because the literature out there is not very fun for the kids to read or inter see.
Speaker 7: So I feel like it starts at home.
Speaker 10: We as the.
Speaker 11: Parents have to be encouraged to learn it so that we could and that we verbally share those stories with our kids so that hopefully when they get older, they'll read those stories or watch those movies that we watched when we got older, or sometimes when we were getting younger and we didn't understand what was going on.
Speaker 3: Totally agree.
Speaker 11: Oh, I agree that I just feel like it starts there.
Speaker 3: Totally agree. All right, thank you, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Starting the out, we have Diane on the line. Diane, good morning, good morning, how long are you, good morning? Doing well? Talk to us what's your thoughts? Mama.
Speaker 8: Okay, well, good morning.
Speaker 17: Let's bought to everyone to get to do drums and traveling to God. Lady said, let's h figure out to me because good morning. But I myself, I'm a grandma and my oldest child was older than you, Sallom and the God. But what happened is because of the climate. I'm retired on I would faced with the opportunity to come to school my eleven or two year old brand I've been doing this for a couple of years when we're registered through the Border Edge.
Speaker 8: In North Carolina. I'm from New York, but my family is from South Carolina. I put it upon myself to incorporate black history as a subject, and I seached them and we've been We're in all the books fifteen nineteen. Black history is our social studies books.
Speaker 10: We do that.
Speaker 8: We talk about history. We have there's a link black fact dot com website which gives you so much pertinent information black history. We talk about that. We're in the Quran, We're in the Bible, your book shook one. We're just all over the place. But I make sure that they know the sound gasm. I also because I've gone through something some years ago. I spend out inspirations every morning sixt o'clock in the morning. Used to be one or two people, is now one hundred and fifty people. And I do it one by one because I don't do But what I do is I am like Loom. I'm Black history. We're not go for February, but for every month. And we talk about things, not because the normal things people would talk about Martin Luther King, not that we don't talk about them, but we've gone into everything. We talk about the Maccade, we talk about the history.
Speaker 10: So I do that.
Speaker 8: Growing up in New York's history was something that Black history we were a part of. There was a lot of doings that there was a foundation of history, and we were kind of taught that in the school a little bit, but the rest really missed. We grew up in that era. It's different now. And it's true a lot of Black families don't in history. A lot of them don't have mind to teach their children. A lot of them do depend on the schools, but you have to be minding of what's going on in the school. They were in the schools during the pandemic, how they were handling that and they're not being taught. But they can't blame the townies because a lot of them don't know themselves.
Speaker 3: You're right, queen, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: By the way, how old are you as how old are you as a grandmother?
Speaker 8: I'm close to seventy. I never thought I would be in this position, would be doing this, but I am graceed.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 3: We love it too. We're glad that God kept you here to be able to do it.
Speaker 8: That's right, mama, Absolutely absolutely. Y'all have a blessed and thank you so much. Keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: A great weekend, mama. What's the more of the story and all of the stories?
Speaker 5: What I said earlier, you can't rely on white institutions, uh, you know to teach your kids black history, you know what I mean, Like you do have to do a lot of self education at home.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 5: And I also want to say, please, let's stop repeating white propaganda talking points in regards to black people. If we start having conversations about black people self educating and encouraging each other to read, please, folks, let's not start saying black people can't read and black parents don't teach their kids to read. That's not that's nonsense, and that's not all the way acurate. You know what I'm saying. All these people who called up here, you know, telling us how they teach their kids at home. The grandma who says she homeschooled her kids talked in black history. Y'all give me a lot of hope. There's nothing dumb about us, there's nothing uneducated about us. Don't listen to these white props began to talking points about us and in regard to to literacy, and please don't repeat them.
Speaker 1: Man, all right, gets the Breakfast Club the morning, the Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody is DJ n B Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed they see Lee Spratt.
Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: How you feeling listen?
Speaker 10: Feeling good?
Speaker 1: Director of the United Negro College Fund?
Speaker 16: Yes, empower me tour.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 16: That's right.
Speaker 5: I feel like I've been hearing about the United Negro College Fund my whole life, but not that much in recent times.
Speaker 3: So really, yeah, so what does the United year College Fund do? Listen?
Speaker 12: We've been around going on eighty years, so that's why you've been hearing about it since you were little. But you know, we provide educational support for minority students. So with the empower Me Tour, it's a traveling road show where we talk about college readiness, we talk about career readiness, and we give millions of dollars in scholarships for people to attend school, not just graduating high school seniors, but also people in college can still get scholarships through the UNCF.
Speaker 5: I always want to, you know, like, do people are people as aware of resources like this as they need to be?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 12: I feel like we can always do a better job of making sure people know that resources are there. Un CF is not just to get students to college. It's our responsibility to get students through college also. So with the resources are coming in all the time to UNCF. So I tell students and parents to visit UNCF dot org every other week because we have scholarships that pop up all throughout the month, all throughout the year, and to just know what is actually out there for students.
Speaker 16: To attend college for free. I mean, education is expensive, sure.
Speaker 1: What are some of the qualifications to get some of these students in college.
Speaker 12: You know what, It honestly depends on the type of scholarship there is. You know, some have three point zero GPA qualifications, some might even have two point seven or your three point five and above. Some of them you have to write an essay. It really all depends on the type of scholarship that you're applying for. Like with the empower Me Tour, we have counselors that come on site and give on site admissions to students on the spot.
Speaker 16: Not just that, we have college admissions counselors offering.
Speaker 12: Full for your scholarships to students who didn't even know that they could attend college or could attend an HBCU. We really try to do the empower Me Tour in places where there aren't HBCUs so we can educate people that HBCUs exist and scholarships are available.
Speaker 1: So this is only for HBCUs. You only give in college h Now we give.
Speaker 16: Scholarship money to not just HBCUs.
Speaker 12: People can get a UNC of scholarship and attend any school of their choice. We just want to make sure people know in places, in spaces that HBCUs exists.
Speaker 1: What was so important for you to go to a hbc of course you with the Claw Atlanta.
Speaker 16: Well, of course I went to Clark Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Where are you from?
Speaker 3: You got to stop blushing.
Speaker 6: I'm originally from Mississippi, Mississippi, so every time you hear Clarkey.
Speaker 16: Blush, listen, that's where my husband came from. So maybe that's you know, at Clark Atlanta.
Speaker 1: DJ Drama went to clock Atlanta too, Okay.
Speaker 12: Yes, DJ Drama went to Clark Atland. We were there around the same time. My parents went to Clark College.
Speaker 16: My brother went to Howard, my other brother went to Morehouse. Like we are an HBCU family.
Speaker 12: Like my business partners you know, went to Hampton one okay and the other one went to Clark Atlanta. So it just fostered relationships HBCUs and just homecoming. There's no homecoming like in HBCU facts. Okay, So that's why I love it.
Speaker 1: So what made you want to go? Was it instilled with your family or is it it wasn't still with my family?
Speaker 12: It was you know again, I've been attending homecoming at Clark Atlanta since I was two years old, you know, because both my parents went there, and just watching the relationships that my parents had with other people from Clark and Land University, and like those are my aunts and uncle's extended family.
Speaker 16: I just fell in love with it.
Speaker 5: People don't talk about that aspect enough of the networking that happens at these hbcs. What did you or who did you meet that led you to end up being the director of the United Negro College One.
Speaker 12: I mean, first of all, my father received a un CF scholarship, So watching him talk about receiving a UNCF scholarship, and watching him work at General Motors and then turn around and give back for other black and brown people and people at Clark Atlanta, Spellman and Moorhouse to be engineers, and just watching that. Foster always had a good, loving relationship for you in CF. But it really is the networking. You have relationships with people. I do business with people that I went to school with. We still have those genuine relationships you work with them. When you think about, Okay, if I have an event taking place, I'm thinking about, well, so who can I help that went to clock Atlanta with me?
Speaker 16: Or who you know went to another HBCU.
Speaker 12: A lot of the work that I do, even in the events world, I provide opportunities for other HBCU graduates well with.
Speaker 5: Some advice on tips you can give to help students apply for and receive scholarships from you UNTIA.
Speaker 12: The first thing I would want them to do is to go to UNCF dot org and set up an account and check back there every other week, because again, scholarships pop up every day that we're offering again. If you're a graduating senior in high school, check it out. Set up an account. If you are in college and looking for an internship, looking for scholarship opportunities, set up an account at UNCF dot org and just continue to check back. Make sure you have your resume, you know, written out. Talk to someone that does resume building. It's so important. Make sure that you have your statement written out of why you want to even go to college, whatever college are you university? That is so just being proactive and preparing yourself.
Speaker 6: How early is too early? I know you said senior year, but sometimes senior year might be a little too late because you just don't necessarily know. So how early should I should? Parents should be looking into colleges, and same thing with students.
Speaker 16: You know, you can set up your account at UNCF dot org.
Speaker 12: I mean as a freshman in high school, okay, and start looking at different scholarships and looking for what is it that you need to apply for those certain types of scholarships. It's never too early to talk to students about scholarships, about financial aid. I mean that is so important for parents and students to fill out that financial aid information. And I know the FASTPA has changed over the course of this year, so it's making sure you fill out your FASTPA. Set up that account at UNCF dot org. It doesn't matter how old you are. You can start talking to your kids about scholarships in you know, fifth, sixth, seventh grade, like we need money for you to attend school.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: You know a lot of parents are I don't want to say have problems with scholarships, but have problems with scholarships because they get the scholarship to get their kid into school, right, but now their kid is in school, they're freshmen. Now what happens sophomore year? Are some of these scholarships four year scholarships or they just one year scholarship? You got to get in then you're on your own.
Speaker 12: Oh no, A lot of scholarships are four year renewable scholarships as long as you continue to keep that GPA requirement, as long as you continue to keep whatever the requirements are for that scholarship. And it's so important to look and say, okay, is this scholarship renewable, you know, for my student, so they can plan accordingly.
Speaker 16: There are some scholarships that might be a one time.
Speaker 12: So if you do get that scholarship that's one time, then you have to go back to the drawing board and say, okay, let me see about some scholarship money over here, over here, over here.
Speaker 16: You can also piecemell it together. It doesn't all have to come from one place.
Speaker 6: Gotcha all we have more with Stacy Lee Sprapp, she's the director of the United Negro College Fund. We'll talk to her some more when we come back. It's the breakfast Club. Good morning warning. Everybody is dj n V Lamina God. We are the Fist Club. We're still kicking it with Stacey Lee Spratch, he's the director of the United Negro College Fund, Charloma.
Speaker 5: When they talk when you talk about certain requirements and I didn't go to college, to forgive me for my stupidness, but is it scholarships that's like if you if you're five six, you know.
Speaker 16: What, there's a scholarship out there if you're left handed, that's okay.
Speaker 12: It is scholarship money out there for everything you can think of.
Speaker 16: And I think that's the key to it.
Speaker 12: You have to look for scholarships that make you might be thinking like I mean, it was a left handed scholarship, but it's out there. There are scholarships for all things, whether you play sports, whether you don't play sports, whether you're majoring in STEM, whether you're majoring and marketing, even entrepreneurial scholarships.
Speaker 16: So it is scholarships available for everyone.
Speaker 12: It's doing the research, spending the time to do the research, being organized about where you're looking and what you're looking for.
Speaker 5: I wonder why why do they have a scholarship for like left handed people?
Speaker 16: Yes, center, I don't know because I didn't create this.
Speaker 6: M might have been a left handed billionaire that says, you know what, I just want to support other left.
Speaker 1: Handed people out there.
Speaker 16: You can come up with however you want to do, you know, scholarships.
Speaker 12: When myself in Pinky Call, we gave scholarship money for thirty graduating seniors at Clark and Land university.
Speaker 16: We had no rhyme or reason.
Speaker 12: Our reason was that they would not be able to graduate if they didn't pay that dollar amount. So sometimes you have people that just say, you know what, I want to make sure these students graduate. I don't care what their GPA is. It could be a two point Oh, it doesn't matter. I want to make sure they get the money so they can walk across that stack point.
Speaker 16: And that's what we did. Hey, we didn't care, it didn't matter.
Speaker 12: You owed money, and we wanted to make sure that you were able to graduate in the spring.
Speaker 16: And so that's what we did.
Speaker 1: My daddy said, if I get a two point on, I'm coming back to Queens.
Speaker 12: Listen, you can graduate college still with the true point. Oh and you graduate, and thank you, Lottie. But you're graduating, thank you, lady.
Speaker 5: Now, how can students prepare and pay for college, especially with the federal student aid deadline coming up?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 16: Yeah, the deadline is around the corner.
Speaker 12: So they need to apply. You must apply to see what you qualify for. What kind of scholarships you qualify for? Again, Google is.
Speaker 16: Your best friend?
Speaker 12: YouTube University is your best friend? Really, look up what scholarships are available, But again go to UNCF dot org. Because we have thousands of scholarships available. We give away millions of dollars.
Speaker 16: Todate U and CF is probably given out over four billion dollars in educating young people.
Speaker 6: Today is doctor Martin Luther King Junior Day? So for that day or you guys doing something special for today, or well, doctor.
Speaker 16: Martin Luther King went to Morehouse College.
Speaker 12: But we're not doing anything in particular besides what we always do, which is provide an education for black.
Speaker 16: And brown and young people.
Speaker 5: What are some benefits of going to an HBCU CAA. My daughter's fifteen now, and you know she's of course she's already talking about college.
Speaker 3: So what's the what's the benefits of going to an hbc U versus the p w A.
Speaker 12: You know, I think for me, it's seeing people that look like you doing great things. It's again that community, it's a smaller classroom. It's also go where you're celebrated, not where you're tolerated.
Speaker 3: What's the point of being a delta?
Speaker 16: What's the point of being a.
Speaker 3: What's the benefits Bene must.
Speaker 11: Do?
Speaker 3: My mother, my wife's mother is adult. What's the point of being a Delta, Wow, what's the benefit. It's respectful at the point. The benefits, the.
Speaker 16: Benefits of being.
Speaker 1: Wow, look at being a gallery it up.
Speaker 16: Listen.
Speaker 12: Being a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated was one of the greatest decisions for me. They are my sisters, my line sisters, my big sisters, my little sisters. Again, I not only work with them, I love them.
Speaker 16: It is a sisterhood.
Speaker 12: I don't have sisters. I have two older brothers. You know, I have a sissy that you know is my cousin. But it is about the love, it's about the sisterhood. It's about the community, it's about giving back. So all of those things are what Delta encompasses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think about it.
Speaker 5: If you go to an HBCU, that's one level of the sisterhood, absolutely and then together and that's with your Black Black people.
Speaker 3: But then you get pledged Delta, that's a whole other.
Speaker 12: Level, Listen, a whole other level of sisterhood and brotherhood. I mean again, that HBCU camaraderie is a sisterhood and brotherhood in itself, whether you pledge something or not. And even pledging Delta, I still have a ka's that I so love. I mean, my public is an AKA, you know, but you know it's still that love fraternities and sororities.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, well we appreciate you. She's also an entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: Harlem Hobbs been boothed by Beach b Scott that brought us this before.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 16: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: We want to talk about Harlem Hopps.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 16: Harlem Hops is a craft beer bar. It's in Harlem.
Speaker 12: We also just opened up a second location at Peer fifty seven. So we have Harlem Hops Chelsea also in the.
Speaker 16: Food hall where the Google building is. Okay, so that's our second location.
Speaker 12: And I mean we are one African American owned you know, first black owned craftier barn.
Speaker 3: In New York. The reason I love this cause it shows that you know what you do with the United Nego College. When you do that to be of service.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, you know what I mean, absolutely do it to be of service to other students so they can also see Again, there's nothing like a mirror image.
Speaker 16: To see what it is that you can do and what you can become.
Speaker 12: And when you see, you know, a brother or sister and you're like, dang, I can do that also, it's it's inspiring and it's inspirational.
Speaker 3: How can people get in contact with.
Speaker 12: You in the UNCF Okay, you can reach me on my IG at Stacy Lee thirty two.
Speaker 16: That's my maiden name. I'm a Spratt.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 16: On IG you can reach out to me directly.
Speaker 12: You know, any kind of questions about education, any kind of questions about scholarships, I will be glad to answer.
Speaker 3: And you're not a Negro college fund.
Speaker 16: You on CF do ye YOUNCF dot org dot org, un CF dot org for.
Speaker 12: All information about scholarships, internships, you know, ways to get to and through college.
Speaker 16: It's all right there at your fingertips.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Stacey Lee Spratt. We appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's the breakfast club. Good morning, say that gang. Don't get shame Maine. If you are, don't. It's time for donkeys to day.
Speaker 3: Donkey of today does not discriminate.
Speaker 1: I might not have the song of today, but I got the donkey that tame.
Speaker 3: So if you ever feel I need to be a donk man, it's a breakfast club, bitch.
Speaker 1: Please don't kip today.
Speaker 5: Today Donkey Today's gooes the Oscar nominated actress Felicity Huffman. Now, unless you've been fasting from social media for the last few years, and you may not know that Felicity Huffans served some time in prison and completed court ordered community service because she broke the law. Okay, she pleaded guilty in twenty nineteen the conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest Services mail fraud.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 5: And she served eleven days of a fourteen day prison sentence and was ordered to do two hundred and fifty hours of community service.
Speaker 3: And pay a fine.
Speaker 5: All because she tried to take a shortcut and she quickly learned, like most of us learn in life, that there are no shortcuts.
Speaker 3: If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
Speaker 5: Can we flash back to what happened? What caused Felicity to end up in prison? Let's go to ABC News for the report.
Speaker 2: Police actress Felicity Huffman walking out of court today but not free of prison. The celebrity brushing past cameras with husband and actor William H. Macy moments after she was sentenced to fourteen days behind bars in front of the judge, the prosecutor said most parents have the moral compass and integrity not to step over the line.
Speaker 1: The defendant does not.
Speaker 2: After noting Huffman's fame and wealth several times, the prosecutor said emphatically, there's no paparazzi in prison. Prison is the great equalizer. She must go to prison. After pleading guilty to fraud charges in May, Huffman admitted to paying fifteen thousand dollars to have her daughter's SAT scores rigged. The judge noting she apologized and accepted guilt early. Then the sentence fourteen days in prison, thirty thousand dollars fine, one year supervised release, and two hundred and fifty hours of community service.
Speaker 5: She paid fifteen thousand dollars to have someone falsified the results of her daughter's SAT score. You know what I wonder about this, and I probably could find the answer if I can enough to look. Her daughter didn't know, right, so I'm sure her daughter studied and prepared for the SAT tests. What if her daughter would have passed on her home marit was the falsifying of the results just in case she failed. What lack of faith did she having her daughter that she already knew. Let me go ahead and pay for her to pass, because I know she not too bright. Okay, I've been watching her since she got here. I know she's stupid, all right. My daughter going to live in the basement for the rest of her life. If I'll do something, she might have to join the circus or run for Congress, same difference.
Speaker 3: Either way, she ends up being a clown as a child. I would have all these questions for my mother if she did this to me.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you going above and beyond, mom, you know, actually committing a crime for.
Speaker 3: Me to get ahead, But damn you don't.
Speaker 5: Got no faith in my intelligence, okay, and my own abilities to pass this as a tea test now. Felicity Huffman recently sat with Eyewitness News to speak for the first time about her participation in this scandal and why she did it.
Speaker 3: Let's go to ABC News for the report police.
Speaker 14: When he slowly started to present the criminal scheme, it seemed like, and I know this seems crazy at the time, that that was my only option to give my daughter a future. And I know hindsight is twenty twenty, but it felt like I would be a bad mother if I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: So I did it.
Speaker 3: Months later, the FBI was at her door.
Speaker 14: They came into my home. They woke my daughters up at gunpoint, again nothing new to the black and brown community. Then they put my hands behind my back and hands. We got to me and I asked if I could get dressed, and I thought.
Speaker 16: It was a hoax.
Speaker 14: I literally turned to the one of the FBI people in a flack jacket and a gun, and I went, is this a is this a joke?
Speaker 5: I felt like this was the only option to give my daughter a future. Felicity Huffman's net worth is forty five million dollars. Now, I am an habitual pocket watcher, Okay, I like to know how much money people are making, and I like to know how they're making it. As soon as I heard her make these comments about this was the only option to give my daughter a future, I googled her network because I needed to know why on God's green Earth would she feels like her daughter doesn't have a chance at a future. This young woman the privilege will have every single advantage that is provided to a multimillionaire's daughter, especially a multimillionaire who also has a complexion for the protection and connection.
Speaker 3: Now, listen to me. She is taking penitentiary chances for.
Speaker 5: Her daughter because she says she wants to give her daughter a chance, you know, to have a future. If an actress worth forty five million dollars is thinking like that, how the hell do you not understand what people in the hood are going through? Okay, folks from poor and disenfranchised communities aren't even attempting to give their kids a shot at a better future. He just trying to get their kids an opportunity in the present moment, and that opportunity is usually just the.
Speaker 3: Basics, food, clothing, some shelter right now.
Speaker 5: Okay, So when black and brown people are out here doing what they got to do to survive, this system should have some understanding, Okay, but they never do. They throw black and brown people under the jail for much less fourteen days and a fine.
Speaker 3: For mail fraud. You know, mail fraud carries.
Speaker 5: A sentence of twenty years in prison and you have to pay a quarter million dollar fund and be required to make full restitution. Like Felicity Huffman would have been some sister from a black of brown community, she would have gotten years years behind bars for doing what Felicity Huffman did guaranteed. But let's talk about the bigger picture. You know, how you set your kids up with opportunities to succeed in the future. How do you set your kids up with opportunities to succeed in the future by not letting them skip steps?
Speaker 3: Now, okay, letting them know that you cannot escape the process.
Speaker 5: If your daughter takes the SAT and fails, then she just fails study come back hard the next time.
Speaker 3: That is what life is about.
Speaker 5: We have to stop coddling these kids, especially in the world where they go on social media and see everybody's highlight reel. Nobody on social media is showing you the process. They not showing you the times they failed, the time things didn't go their way. I truly believe one of the worst things about so called cancel culture is that nobody wants to tell you about their mistakes anymore. Everybody wants to play perfect and act like they've always gotten it right. But guess what nobody has. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes, We say wrong things, we do wrong things. We fall, we get up, we learn, we grow, we move on, we live and we thank God for always giving us another chance. If we don't allow our kids to fail and learn how to deal with failing, then we are truly hindering their chances of being successful in the future. Felicity, right now you have an opportunity to teach your kid a tremendous lesson about failure because you failed. But you can't let that failure define you. You have to let it shape you. And right now your daughter is watching you. The way you handle this is how she is going to learn how to handle failure in the future. And when it comes to stuff like failing a test, please, it's just a test.
Speaker 3: You fail, you take it over. Maya Angelou said it best.
Speaker 5: Courage allows a successful woman to fail and learn powerful lessons from the failure so that in the end she didn't fail at all. Our greatest glory in life, kids, is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail. Please let Chelsea handle Give Felicity Huffman the biggest he huh hee ha hee ha.
Speaker 1: That is way too much Dan Mayonnaise.
Speaker 5: All right, how many stories we've heard of, you know, sisters putting their kids in different area codes, are lying about where they live so their kids can go to better schools and then getting actual prison sentences. How can you we not understand what they were trying to do for their children with felicity. Help me get a slap on the wrist for something that has a twenty year sentence.
Speaker 3: You know why? Too much caught them mayonnaise?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well thank you for that donkey.
Speaker 3: Today the Breakfast Club, worry.
Speaker 6: Everybody is tj env Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. Our guess co host Cardia Jordan is here, yes, and we got a special guests in the billings to Meeka Mallory. Welcome backy, Hey, hey having me.
Speaker 18: I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 3: Will Mallory. You got a lot of work that you're doing right now. You gotta get the word out about some things.
Speaker 18: There's a lot happening. I think you know.
Speaker 19: The overall thing that we need to know is that our country is in big trouble and everyone everybody is going to suffer as a result. But whenever we in trouble, black folks, brown people, we suffer the most.
Speaker 3: And tell them in a state of emergency, you got your bok sitting right here.
Speaker 19: It is a state of emergency indeed, and it's getting worse. I mean, you and I talk about this all the time. To me, it feels like it's getting worse. I think also because a lot of people are so numb they don't really want to focus anymore.
Speaker 18: And that's dangerous because there's just too.
Speaker 19: Many things to do, too much to know about, and we just need to be well informed about what we're up against. And I think that you know, being able to call it what it is, that white supremacy, excuse me, and white.
Speaker 18: Vigilanteism is on the rise.
Speaker 19: And of course we're dealing with issues within our own community, with mental health problems and poverty, cause and violence. There is a tension and a feeling in the country that I'm sure you all feel, and it's really dangerous. It's not a comfortable space. And you know, I don't think it gets better. Are just by us ignoring the problem?
Speaker 1: How do you think we get around this fatigue?
Speaker 15: Because I do notice there was a fatigue, right It seemed like we were all all hands on deck maybe twenty twenty, in the height of all the George Floyd protests and all that. Everybody seemed like, all right, we on this and it seemed like everyone just kind of fell off. Not everyone people, thank God for you, but it seemed like there's a lot of fatigue right now, Like people say, I'm tired of hearing about it, and that's what people also.
Speaker 19: First of all, movements always are up and down. They never stay consistent at one pace. It's impossible. People have to get back to their lives. Folks have families and things that they have to do, so that's normal.
Speaker 18: But there is a.
Speaker 19: Fatigue that, unfortunately, I think doesn't change until people feel so uncomfortable that they have no choice but to get back in the game. And you know, we try to continuously sound the alarm by making sure folks feel like there's a way for them to fit in and get in, but it's not until you start feeling it on your block, in your home that is like, oh, wait a minute, where's the where's the protest?
Speaker 18: Who am I supposed to be voting for? You know what am I supposed to do? To jump in the fight?
Speaker 1: So let's let's start.
Speaker 6: You know, a lot of people they don't necessarily run because a lot of people don't know what's going on. Like we get bombarded with so much in the news, and half the time we don't know what's real or what's fake, what's true, what's false. So what should we be focusing on?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: What are you focusing on?
Speaker 19: Well, you know, I wrote these things down so that you know, we could kind of break things into different parts. You know, in the summer twenty twenty, since you brought that up, a lot of corporations were talking about their commitment to diversity.
Speaker 18: That was the whole thing.
Speaker 19: In fact, corporations made pledges for millions and millions, probably billions of dollars, and certainly we've not seen that in the movement and across all spectrums of areas where marginalized communities need support, most companies have have either you know, gone away, they you know, and what do you call it, out of sight, out of mind. And then some did a few things. And of course we can't ignore that the recent news on Black Lives Matter has certainly helped people find a way to say, oh, well, you know, maybe I shouldn't be given to those causes, which you know, we talk all the time about how I call bold on a lot of it.
Speaker 18: Nonetheless, it has been an issue.
Speaker 19: It is an issue, and so one thing I have been focused on is calling corporations back to the table. And I've been working specifically on a company called Pinini. And people are like, how did you get in sports and trading cards? Sports memorabilia and trading cards? Like where did that come from? But I always I often remind people that every case we get involved with, we find out from the people people call us. They call us and say it's a police brutality incident, they say something happened in the jail. That's how we got Imparchment Prisons with shout out to our family at Rock Nation and Team Rock because we worked to really make change in Parchment.
Speaker 18: And I'm sure people in Parchment are probably like, what change.
Speaker 19: You know, it's still slow coming, but we did work with the local community in Mississippi to make some change there.
Speaker 18: But this all comes from people calling.
Speaker 19: Us elected officials, concerned citizens, scary folks. That's like, don't tell nobody's mine. You know that I called, But somebody hit me up and was like, hey, you should check out what's going on at this company, Panini. They have seventy five percent of their trading cards and their talent. If you will black athletes back black and brown, but primarily black athletes. A three billion dollar company with no senior executives that are black people, not even one. So when we found it out, we were like, okay, well, first of all, maybe we don't know, maybe they just didn't put them on the website. You know, we're gonna see and we sent a letter to Paninia. It took them a while to get back to us until it started to pick up in the media, especially after we sent letters to the NFL and the NBA and the players associations and all the others, asking why are you partnering with these folks who are allowing them to use your talent? It's basically our people being exploited.
Speaker 5: Specific company though, because there's a bunch of billion dollar companies that don't have black people in the c suite, So.
Speaker 19: Why do this specific Coey, Well, you know, we've had similar conversations over the years with Walmart, with Verizon, you know, and in fact, with Verizon we went to them around Colin Kaeperneck to ask them why would they continue to sponsor and you know, be partners with the NFL knowing what was happening in the Colin So we find reasons to approach corporations all the time about their commitments or their said commitments to our communities.
Speaker 18: And from my perspective, black folks.
Speaker 19: In this moment, they need jobs like they need jobs, they need opportunities, they need a seat at the table, right. And you know some people say, well entrepreneurship, Yeah, but why you're building because all of us here are entrepreneurs.
Speaker 18: But we got jobs too.
Speaker 6: Dose Perini feel that since they've given so much money away to students and especially college athletes. I know they do a lot with nil deals that because they're doing that, they necessarily don't have to because they feel like we're giving the community money.
Speaker 19: Well they didn't say that, but from our perspective, no, like at until Freedom, our perspective is regardless of how much you give away, you just doing what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 15: So what kind of action plans would you like to see Panini do to correct this like lack of diversity.
Speaker 18: What would you like to see it?
Speaker 19: Yeah, So, first of all, they need to have an advisory committee of individuals from our communities that can help them look at the diversity issues.
Speaker 15: It's actually been amazing the dip and what we see, like I really felt like there was actually some type of effort being made. Seems like they're not even given a damn anymore when it looks like publicly anymore.
Speaker 19: Well, just on that point, when we did the research to find at every company, we sent letters by companies I'm talking about the leagues and the players Association is we sent letters to the CEO. We also went to look for the diversity person, right because most companies have somebody, and we.
Speaker 18: Found that most of those people were hired in twenty twenty.
Speaker 19: Like all the different leagues, their diversity person came on board or around twenty twenty and was well celebrated by the company.
Speaker 18: So that just goes to show you that movements work.
Speaker 19: That's first of all that you know, for those people who think movements don't work, it actually provided opportunities for some of our people. And I'm sure depending on who the black person is in that seat, there's more happening within the community. But there's so much more that can be done. And that means that the movement can't stop because the job is not complete.
Speaker 6: Are people getting getting to actually be able to work or is it one of those things that we're hiring them just for the face, but they're not actually being able to contribute.
Speaker 19: Well, you know what, I don't know, and I'm sure there is a little bit of all of that happening, you know, because I know several diversity folks in different companies and some of them are frustrated. Others feel like they're really being supported. So I think it's a mixture of that, but we don't know until unfortunately issues start to come up and you start asking questions.
Speaker 18: That's the reason why we have to have different examples.
Speaker 19: So Panini becomes an example which says to other companies, they might be coming my way, let me try to get my stuff together.
Speaker 1: All right. We got more with Tamika Mallory when we come back, don't move. It's the breakfast Club. Good morning, good morning. Everybody is TJ NV charlamagnea god. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: We got our co host Clodia Jordan here and we're kicking it with Tamika Mallory.
Speaker 1: Clodia, you're on the front lines.
Speaker 15: Do you ever get discouraged?
Speaker 8: Hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and do you feel like what am I doing?
Speaker 19: I get more than discourage. I get pretty nasty about it. I send text messages in the middle.
Speaker 18: Of the night, saying words, bad words.
Speaker 15: So where's the motivation come from on those days when you know, we see the winds right, But there's the days where you probably I.
Speaker 18: Don't know about the winds. Well, Whens, I'm.
Speaker 19: Not progress, progress, A little bit of progress, a little bit of progress because wins, I don't feel like I'm there yet, you know, Andy, you know whatever. Some people would argue that we should be careful not to appreciate the things we've been able to accomplish, in which we have many things. But I think my I always say that my investment in this movement is very selfish. It's not like, oh, I'm doing it because of the other children and the other people. It's my own family. Like me, you know, I want to be able to drive and feel comfortable and walk around in society and not be treated differently or othered. I want my son to be protected. And now I have a grandchild, you know, and here this is a young girl or a baby who's going to grow up in this society.
Speaker 18: What is it going to look like?
Speaker 19: I don't want to leave here with people saying like, well, what did you do to contribute? And I'm over here pointing at oh, well they did. No, we have a responsibility. And I think that's where every you know, when I get up and some days Claudia's turned into a situation where I go to bed like, I promise you, I will not do else for these people because of all the stress that I go through, the attacks, the lies, this and that. I'd be like, that's it, and then I'll be like, which people our people? Like In the morning, when I wake up, I'm like, let me go to work, because this is what I'm supposed to be doing. Calling on your life is something.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about a Jica Owns boy. I tell you what.
Speaker 19: I was on a conference call last night with Angela Rye and Amanda SIL's and I mean, Alicia Garza, Ben Crump, everybody, Jeff Johnson, the names go on and on, all the people, Christy Henderson.
Speaker 18: It was the coordinator of it and first of all, the brilliance in this movement. Oh wow, to be on that call, I just.
Speaker 19: Wish it could be taped so everybody could see the thoughts and people working together to try to help get justice for this woman's family. What happened to her is it seems to be very clear. At least it's clear to me, and you know, Crump before he gets an attorney, Crump, before he gets involved in things, he kind of knows what happened for the most part. So it appears that the neighbor was a minace already like she had been her.
Speaker 6: Gave the lady donk of to day to her. Yes, no, no, no, talked about it this morning.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 19: So it seems that she had already been harassing the children and people in the community. And this particular day, the kids were playing next door, which you guys probably already discussed. But you know, the kids were playing next door in a field, and she thinks she owns the field, so she's neighborhood Karen. She thinks she owns the field. She tells them when to come and go. The iPad was still in the field when the young man noticed it, and all the kids were inside. He noticed his iPad was there. He ran out to go get it. She already had it somewhere along the line. She He approached her to get the iPad and he she hit him with something so uh his and.
Speaker 18: Called him the N word.
Speaker 19: Well, this young man, the young boy is nine, and this and and and aj as they affectionately call her aj Owens. She has four children and so I think the youngest one is too and so uh she So he went and got mama, and mama came back to talk to the woman. Get the iPad probably asked, you know what, why did you get my child? All of that, and the woman shot her through the door, shot her through the door and killed to I mean period, you know, and to add insult to injury, which is very similar to what happened to Jordan Nearly, or at least what happened to Daniel Perry, the man who killed Jordan Nearly.
Speaker 18: Is this this thing where you can just go down to the precinct.
Speaker 19: They asked you a few questions and then you just white and they say, okay, you can go home after you've killed somebody.
Speaker 15: It is amazing that they It's like, do you mind coming in, and.
Speaker 19: Yeah, we just want to ask formal Well, yeah, they didn't release her name, but we know what it is. Her name is Susan Lawrence. I believe that's her name, Susan Lawrence. And you know, again, people in the neighborhood know her. But let me just say on the issue of people getting to go home.
Speaker 1: Did she called nine one one at all? So she didn't call nine one until after she shot this.
Speaker 18: I don't know that's a good question because you know, usually.
Speaker 1: A self defense and if the door was closed, there was no way that she felt like her life was in.
Speaker 19: Dangerous that I mean, you got to come on your ground. Of course, it's a lot of things that I think they're gonna try to use. I think they're gonna have a mental illness thing. They're gonna try a lot of things.
Speaker 15: But people that are allowed to be mentally ill because it's with us, we don't get that, grace.
Speaker 1: No, we don't.
Speaker 18: But let me say that.
Speaker 19: One of the things I want to make sure we mentioned is that this is not a new issue or new concern. If you think about Emmett Till and other cases of the past, there was a time when white people could literally decide that you made them feel uncomfortable, or you you committed some criminal act. They didn't have to be in law enforcement. They could decide your punishment, kill you, whatever they want to do, and there was no quinces for it. So we're going backwards to a time when that is now a thing again that you just gone downtown to tell Billy Bob, officer Billy Bob, everything was cool.
Speaker 18: You know, I just shot me today.
Speaker 16: That's it.
Speaker 19: And and of course I hope we understand not to say that it is okay when it happens to men, because we fight for black men all the time.
Speaker 18: Our entire movement has been focused on black men.
Speaker 19: But now they're killing black women, which brings us to Brianna Taylor. Shout out to Brianna Taylor and her family. Look happy birthday. She would have been thirty years old. Man thirty years old, a young, beautiful life, taking her boyfriend Kenny Walker. Thankfully, the charges that the officer had against him have been dropped, so he's now free and clear to live his life.
Speaker 18: But yesterday, yesterday, I don't know when.
Speaker 3: That's the case. Was standing ground worked for a black person? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 18: Well yes, kinda yes, and yes, yes they charged them, but they dropped it. They never admitted it. That's the point.
Speaker 19: Nobody ever said that he had the right to do what he did or whatever, but he did right. And I think that they dropped the charges for a different reason, which is because they don't want to have to go to court and lay out the details. They're trying to push it, you know, sweep it under the rugs. It would make them have to do too much. So but anyway, so the attorney general in Kentucky, y'all talked about this. His name is Daniel Cameron. This man was responsible for the prosecution of the officers. He was responsible for finding justice right as the attorney general. Because the local government decided that they didn't want to try the case. It was too close with the police department and the local DA's and whatever, so they pushed it to the attorney general.
Speaker 18: First of all, Daniel Cameron is a cop lover.
Speaker 19: He has videos out there talking by how he will defend police and law enforcement until the end and he will do whatever's necessary to stand with police. So he had the case and had a grand jury in paneled, which they went and they presented a case to the grand jury, of course, and which is what we fight against. The grand jury proceedings being secret. That's a problem because you don't know what's happening. You don't know what they're presenting with the witnesses or what's gonna happen. So the grand jury comes back and returns their decision, which is to charge one officer which shooting through the wall and that could have hurt.
Speaker 18: The people on the other side.
Speaker 19: It didn't, but it could have, and so that charge was called wanting endangerment and that's what the person was indicted on. They never came back with any charges about Brionna Taylor being murdered. We're about to knock on doors until November. We're going to put ads up on TV. We're gonna make sure that every Ballotti, Dottie and everybody knows about Daniel Cameron and what he did to Breonna Taylsor.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, we have moved with Tamika Mallory.
Speaker 3: Don't move.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Yeah morning everybody.
Speaker 6: It's the ej NV Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got our co host Claudia and Jordan here and we're kicking it with Tamika Mallory Charlamagne.
Speaker 5: How do you protect yourself in situations like the go post up in Kentucky and like go against this guy who's got a massive support in Kentucky.
Speaker 3: How you protect yourself?
Speaker 19: Well, first of all, We have security twenty four hours a day, which is important, but you know, security is not necessarily able to stop some crazy person from driving a car through the window of your office or whatever.
Speaker 3: So are y'all being set up? You know what I mean?
Speaker 16: That's oh like that.
Speaker 19: But but but but before we even get to the point of physical harm. Watching just watch, You're gonna be like, you gotta come back and talk about this. They're gonna have articles out in a minute about everything we ever did wrong. Who paperwork, ain't right, organization did this, Which is why I don't like to get into a back and forth about whether or not somebody bought a house in BLM. I don't like to get into that because I know what that conversation is all about, and I know who it benefits for us to get stuck in that. They want to discredit our movement so that they can make sure that nobody that nobody donates to Tamika Mallory either we all criminals. I'm not, of course I'm not. We said that on this show so many times, but you're right, repetition matters. I'm not in the organization Black Lives Matter, but I'm just saying that I've seen this movie before.
Speaker 18: This is not the first time.
Speaker 19: They they don't They actually don't do anything new. They repeat the same script over and over again. It's just that there are new players involved, so you think you in something new, But they literally have intentionality right now around discredit and our movement. It doesn't mean you shouldn't ask questions. There should be no accountability, that's not what we're talking about. But when we start going down that rabbit hole, there's a reason why they want us to stay there. And so what will happen is that in the next couple of weeks, especially if Daniel Cameron feels like our movement is a danger to him, you'll start hearing who slept with who? Johnny you know, shot somebody when he was twelve, who went to prison. That's what they're gonna do, to try to discredit the people locally and nationally who will be there fighting him.
Speaker 18: But we disfight it all, dispight it all. We're gonna be there. We have to stop eating that up there.
Speaker 3: We're so quick.
Speaker 15: But I knew it was a scam, and we have to stop being so skeptical of each other. Yep, Yes, I saw that happening in really, I'm like, oh, like.
Speaker 19: But there are scams. There are scams, and guess what, white people run them every day.
Speaker 1: That's right, But they don't we do something.
Speaker 19: No, no, you'll never, you will never. Like I give you an example. The Women's movement, right, they got all kinds. I know, we were in it, right and the Women's March we was in, We were leaders of the Women's March. We know all about the stuff that goes on internally, but you don't know who's about people's salaries. You don't know how much they make in these major women's organizations and other organizations that had or social cause, organizations that have people that don't look like us.
Speaker 18: You tell me what's they salaries? It doesn't come up.
Speaker 19: You don't know what house they have, where they live, how much money they spent, and if there.
Speaker 18: Is an issue, they deal with it internally.
Speaker 19: When it became public that there was a fight which wasn't even about money, it was because it was women of color at the helm of it.
Speaker 18: So we just have to be aware of that.
Speaker 19: That does not mean that you don't have the right to say I gave one hundred dollars two hundred thousand and whatever it is, and I want to know what is being done with my resources. I'm not telling people not to ask those questions. I'm saying that what we see going on right now is not about asking questions. It is about creating a creating a dissension campaign or whatever against our movement as a whole. And yeah, I'm not in BLM at all. I have none to do with the money, never received the dime. In fact, i asked them for a million dollars and I'm still waiting on somebody to respond, So this is not about that.
Speaker 18: But I'm also I also am clear that I.
Speaker 19: Don't get to separate myself from this whole movement because I know I only raise My organization raised three three million dollars when BLM received ninety million. So that's why we asked for a million, which is not even enough. Because we was in the street in the summer of twenty twenty, and we know that people went on their phone and said, I'm not gonna look for a particular name, I'm just gonna give money to BLM. So I feel they owe me money, right, I think they have some of my money. So we asked for a million dollars. But I understand that this movement, everything that happens there are implications for all of us. If something happen with you, Envy, I've been watching you for the last few days.
Speaker 1: I talk to you.
Speaker 18: You know what I'm saying. It impacts everybody that's close to you. That's just what it is.
Speaker 19: So I just want to put that message out there. Be careful what you allow yourself to get dragged into.
Speaker 1: How can people donate if they want to donate.
Speaker 18: Yiah, we need y'all to donate so bad, Lord have mercy.
Speaker 19: You can donate to until Freedom by going to until freedom dot com, which is the safest best way to get us donations. But of course if you want to cash up and bendmo and all of that, we're until Freedom spell it properly because people have stolen our stole whichever is the right way to say our name, colonize our name, and they put one extra E one the ls or whatever, and so a lot of our donations were going to these other accounts.
Speaker 18: So Until Freedom U N T, I, L F R, E E, D O M on all platforms you.
Speaker 3: Can give and did we get everything on the note pay?
Speaker 19: I think so let me see, Oh, copp City. So cop City, for folks quickly, is in Atlanta. Basically, cop City is a place that is being designed to train police officers from around the country. So in Decab County, Andre Dickens, the mayor, is creating a city. And by the way, people want me to mention that this was not his plan. It came from Governor Kemp and Keisha Land's bottoms and then he had the ability to keep it going or to cancel the project. So they are building this facility. That is what they're gonna say. It's all first responders. There's gonna be people there from you know, firefighters, they're gonna have There's an element that cannot be ignored and that is the police training that will take place in the facility, and that is a problem. The Police Association, I think that's their name. Excuse me if I got it wrong. They are the ones that's coordinating the whole space. And so the basically the resources that the city council approved are to lease space for the responders and others to be trained. But the policing situation is the main focus of the facility. Bottom go well, because people elected officials, they get nervous, and so when they start feeling the pressure from the governor and all these people, because a lot of our folks don't understand what true public safety looks like. We've been taught that public safety is locking people up, but.
Speaker 18: The police exists.
Speaker 19: Now there's police all over Chicago and still there was fifty something people shot Memorial weekend. So policing is clearly not solving the problem. So we see what needs to be done, and it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 19: It is intentionally being ignored and they are fattening the pockets of the policing system and then not even giving true accountability measures to keep people account accountable. You cannot train racism and white supremacy. You can't out train it. You have to convict it. You have to lock it up, and you have to give it consequences so that people will know.
Speaker 18: I could be as racist as I wants at my kitchen table, but I can't take that to work.
Speaker 5: Make sure y'all support our good sisters Tamika Mallories.
Speaker 3: Donate the untel Freedom That's until.
Speaker 5: Freedom, subscribe to her podcast or Politicians with the Good Brother Mason, and pick up her book State of Emergency yourself.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 18: My brother he's just up here.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 18: That's right, Mallory.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Your mornings will never be the same