Speaker 1: All right, happy King holiday everyone. Of course last week, boy, last week. During a stop this was a campaign stop in Iowa, former President Donald Trump said the Civil War was quote so horrible, but so fascinating, going on to suggest that the conflict, which was fought over, of course, the issue of slavery, we all know that could have been negotiated, a comment that drew immediate backlash from civil rights groups and historians alike. He said, so many mistakes were made. See there was something I think could have been negotiated. To be honest with you, all the people died, so many people died. Trump went on to say, Abraham Lincoln, of course, if he negotiated it, you probably wouldn't even know who Abraham Lincoln was? What?
Speaker 2: What? What? My grand date af and no negotiation. This is who y'all want to be. The Methodist Yep, that's exactly who they want. Yeah, this ignorant food, this ignorant ass man, he ain't got no problem. He can't. He has to say ignorant stuff because he ignorant. Now is he a brilliant? Is this man? Absolutely no problem? But man, I'm trying to tell you now that ain't that ain't what you want. But well, man, I'm gonna be fine whoever they put in there, because he not in charge of me. There's no way I'll give him permission to be in charge of me. It's no way now.
Speaker 1: It's According to USA Today, Savante Myrick, who is the president of People for the American Way that is a progressive advocacy group, said the Trump's comments demonstrate quote, a glaring ignorance of American history. Mirak went on to say, and it seems like President Trump was applying that some sort of failure of diplomacy on behalf of Abraham Lincoln is what caused the Civil War. He accused Trump's comments of being extremely appealing to Confederate sympathizers and white supremacist folks.
Speaker 2: What caused the Civil War? With your forefather's insistence on maintaining the slavery system, That's what caused the Civil War. What caused the Civil War is their refusal to acknowledge and accept black people as human beings. That's what caused the Civil War. Them your forefathers. See, I'm not gonna ever stop saying that them, your forefathers, them, not my forefathers, them, your fue fathers. Y'all stole. Y'all stole America, Louisiana treaty all that. That's y'all. Y'all did that. Y'all came over here, the Indians saved the Native Americans saved y'all life. Indian to thank them, y'all took everything from reservation. That's that's what y'all did. That's your emo. Yeah. The Asian people come over here and build a railroads and you have black people build everything else?
Speaker 1: Did you.
Speaker 2: What? What? What what you want us to do? And then after we build your country and may kill country, then you don't want us in the country. Now, all your policies is keep us down and suppressed. Well, everybody, we take no more.
Speaker 1: We still have to fight for voting rights.
Speaker 2: You know why you have to fight for your voting rights because the actions of the forefathers still revived, residing their great grandchildren. That's why.
Speaker 1: Well my word right, yeah yeah, and uh. Natasha Brown, who is the co founder of Black Voters Matter, agreed, saying that Trump's comments appeared aimed at downplaying the enslavement of black people in America's history.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: She says, we know the history of the South, we know that part of the elements of the South were centered around the institution of slavery and in maintaining that people of color would be in a permanent social status.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Brown accused Trump of speaking to those that still feel like their only advantage is white supremacy.
Speaker 2: Wow, clearly, please.
Speaker 1: Register to vote and vote this year.
Speaker 2: No undoable what she just said?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know they prove it all. All you gotta do is look at Florida. They want to erase slavery from history.
Speaker 1: Books because it makes them feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: That you can come to Texas. That hell, yeah, to Texas.
Speaker 1: You know how uncomfortable we've been.
Speaker 2: After years, right, y'all on Day thirty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, Steve, you talked about it earlier. You know, the crew, we've been talking about it. This is an election year of twenty twenty four, and we have to take this seriously.
Speaker 2: We have to take this seriously.
Speaker 3: Trump tried to overthrow the government of January sixth. That just happened not too long ago, the anniversary about this. Police officers died. They try to kidnap senators and congress people. They're taking away women's reproductive rights, they're taking away affirmative action and universities and colleges.
Speaker 2: Y'all better wake up, y'all. And y'all black people out here that's thinking Trump is good for black people? You a fool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he already was in office for four years. What did he do?
Speaker 2: Dump Trump ain't good for nobody, man, y'all sayingly mistaken and the other voters just trying to convince him that that, yeah, we're not having that. Man. He's good for you because he's just like you, but he's nothing like me. I'm nothing like him. We have no similarities none. I get puzzled by. And maybe I shouldn't say this, but Hispanics that get Trump's vote, I just don't understand that part. I don't get that either.
Speaker 3: What Spanics Blacks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there are Republicans at heart, and he's the Republican candidate.
Speaker 2: But the country, well, right, there are those Latinos who are here who have integrated into the system, who are against open borders.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, very true.
Speaker 2: You ever seen somebody get there and then act like they've been the whole time?
Speaker 3: Thomas right affirmative action advantage now on the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: You don't want a firm away with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you benefited from it. Okay, that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, we have to vote. I mean, you know, like you said earlier, Steve, we may not or people may not want Biden in office. They may talk about Biden saying he's too old and whatever, whatever, But I mean, what are the choices do we have here?
Speaker 2: I rather have somebody old in office than somebody that's corrupted office. Yeah, let me tell you something for himself. If this man is this corrupt that you know about, do you know the stuff that you don't know about?
Speaker 1: You bring up a good points, sir.
Speaker 2: He this man is in deep water. This is the stuff you found out about. This is so much more to him. And if you all let him get this election in which will keep him out of jail for sure, or he gonna clown, he gonna clown, he gonna climb clown, y'all get ready for the shelf.
Speaker 1: Clown. He might do away with our whole democratic system. I mean, there's so much at stake, there's so much at stake in this new in this upcoming election, our democracy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are right, Shirley, Absolutely, our democracy is sake your freedom.
Speaker 2: He said, I will be a dictator on day one.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, he's always had a dictator ment.
Speaker 2: Listen. The last time he got in on day one, he tried to sive Obamacare immediately. It didn't work. Obamacare, uh, which is really outstanding and the people know it. That's why they can never get rid of it. And he signed the build to band travel from seven Muslim countries. It is due right here man.
Speaker 1: All right, this is MLK Day. We'll have more of the Steve Harvey Morning Show coming up at the top of the hour. Right after this. You're listening Steve Harvey Morning Show.