Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. I'm not going to be Stephan never told you a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And before we start this Monday many, I want to put a disclaimer. This is no hate to anybody who love the things that we are talking about. We are more interested in why they're so coveted. So just just let you know. Like it does sound like maybe we're criticizing, it's more that we're criticizing the capitalistic ideas behind it, more so than the items and the people who buy it. So don't come at me. If you've got one of these things, happy for you, if you love it, do the things that you love, is what we say. And also, we are not currently being sponsored by any of these products that we are talking about. You know, things change. Not that not to say that we don't want to be. We're just saying I don't need it. I don't please, don't like we need the money. I don't need the product. So we'll do a oh three if any of these companies are listening, which I don't know if they care. Also, because I am talking about a trend, here is a timestamp. Today is January twelfth, twenty twenty four, and today we're recording it. I guess it's going to be released on Martin Luther King Junior Observant Day, So happy MLKA Junior Day, y'all. So what I'm specifically talking about is something that has been coming for me on my for you page on TikTok, and it has been a huge topic of conversation Annie. It's sweeping pretty much, isn't this overall sweeping need for so many women to get us Stanley Cup? And no, I know when I originally told you Annie about this subject, I am not talking about the National Hockey Championship Stanley Up. So you know, I'm sorry if you're talking about some hockey things, which has had a lot of controversy this year. By the way, Yeah, it's a violent sport. I did like it though, but no, that is not what we're talking about. We are talking about a company that has existed over one hundred years and has been creating different thermoss and drinking vessels for a while now. Has been a kind of a staple for the camping world. And with that, even though women do love camping, women be camping, it has been geared more towards men until recently, but It was in nineteen thirteen that William Stanley invented the quote all still double walled vacuum bottle and stuck his name on it. And this is according to Stanley nineteen thirteen dot com, So you know it's been around for a while. He emitted a pretty cool thing like I love my double walled you know, insulated cups. I have two that I use. I guess because my sister gifted me one of the old trending ones. Oh yeah, Christmas. So now I have three ones that I use, and I do like it. They do keep things cold for a very long time. They keep things hot for a very very long time, just in case. Oh you know what, I just got a gifted last year of another one that was also a big trending one. These are Christmas gifts apparently. Yes, So we are specifically talking about the Quencher as it is called, which is a water tumbler that quote comes in various sizes, but the forty ounce and thirty ounce styles are the most popular, and their prize between thirty five dollars and fifty dollars. The product both features like a handle, the ability to keep drinks hot for five to seven hours and cold for nine to eleven and the fact that it fits inside of most car cup holders, which you know it is kind of important because it's just really annoying when they don't fit. The Quincher was released in twenty sixteen, but has really picked up the desirability rate in the last couple of years. So here's some quotes from retaildive dot com about why it has become so popular. Says quote, how did the brand expand beyond its rugged image to something that appealed to a broader customer who would incorporate the products into their everyday lifestyles With the help of three women, Linley Hutchinson, Ashley Lesour and Taylor Cannon, the founders of The by Guide, an online shopping blog and Instagram account that started in twenty seventeen, were early lovers of the Stanley Quincher. The Bye Guide's second post on Instagram back in November twenty seventeen, featured a forty ounce Stanley Quincher. Quote of all the insulated cups, this is the one, just trust, the post reads, touting the product's features like its handle straw, ability to keep beverages cold, and the fact that it was a dishwasher safe. And it wasn't just blog reviewers that were blowing up this product just a keynote though most of those products that are inslated can't be washing dishwashers, so it is annoying. So that feature is a nice thing. I'm starting to understand the appeal as we researched this. I'm not gonna go buy one, no, but I'm just saying. But also, it wasn't just the bloggers, but also the mini now viral TikTok videos, including videos of young girls crying and screaming over getting one of these cups to a woman whose entire car had been engulfed in flames, but the Stanley cup was still intact and hardly burnt. And apparently my partner, when we were talking about this, said that Stanley Cup saw this because it went so so viral that they bought her a new car. Stanley bought her a new car. I was like, that's smart, that's smart marketing, Like that costs them a few thousand dollars to get millions, so right, hey, I mean, and again she's doing a great job of marketing for them, so you know, go ahead. And in fact, these sells for the Stanley Company again with the help of TikTok, went from but seventy four million in twenty nineteen to seven hundred and fifty million in twenty twenty three. And this is according to CNBC, and using social media was a very calculated tactic. Here's a quote from the Forbes article titled why is TikTok obsessed with Stanley Cups. Stanley didn't launch the Quencher bottles until twenty sixteen, more than a century after the company was founded in nineteen thirteen. The quinchers saw little success at first, but after Terence Riley left CrOx to become Stanley's president in twenty twenty, he leaned into influencer marketing to sell quinchers, which replaced the classic Stanley bottles as the company's best selling products that same year. So the success of some items light the Quencher could be seen as random, but like this, it's obviously not. It's a more calculated effort. Here's a quote from a recent teen Vogue article. Literally, as I was researching this, this popped up on my social media, Like they're stalking me. Yeah, Anyway, It says, while the popularity of a practical cup may seem random, if not absurd, to some, it's not a new phenomenon. It's the same reason that in the late nineteen nineties, Beaty Babies, a useless plush collectible toy, had people lining up for a chance to get a new drop, or more recent mscchf's impractical Red Boots had lines around the corner filled with the young shoppers wanting to buy in. Do you know what I'm talking about with the boots, the cartoonish looking boots. It looks like cartoon boots, and people wanted Yes, it looks like cartoon red boots, like wow, I send you a picture. Value is often determined not by the product itself or the price tag, but by the fact that a whole bunch of people have it. Plus a consumer psychologist, Matt Johnson, PhD tells teen Vogue water bottles have a particular way of signaling that you're caring for yourself and that you're up on a wellness trends, something very popular on social media and I think we may have mentioned it on the Self Care episode before, where marketing has really come in abusing this tactic and trying to sell things. So this is kind of along those lines, and the article continues in the same way that fashion and beauty trends function as a way for us to belong, a mug can do the same quote. There's an element of it that at the moment it feels very exciting, and at the moment it feels like you're a part of something, says Johnson. We are in a loneliness epidemic, and people seek belonging in non traditional ways. It sounds silly for me people, but being part of a trend and being part of this movement where lots of people you see online are doing it provides some semblance of belonging. So there was a lot of articles talking about this level that people just really want to be a part of it, and then also having it together and just kind of having a conversation. So I saw a recent TikTok. It was kind of sad of this mom who talked about she had bought her daughter a cup. It wasn't a Stanley cup, but it was acutely designed from Walmart or whatever, and her daughter originally loved it. And when I say daughter, I think she was eleven, so these are really young kids. And when she took it to school, she got bullied and made fun of, so her mom replaced it with an actual Stanley cup and then talked about why she thought this was absurd, but still was perpetuating this Stanley cup thing. But this was that level of like being seen as an outcast and now as a part of this group. So this level of long and of course it's a little different for adults with social media, but there still is that need to belong or being a part of that club. So using things like belonging, social media and overall marketing towards women has really paid off for companies like Stanley. According to a twenty fifteen report by The Guardian, not only is it smart to target women, but by doing so, men will likely follow. Here's a quote from that article titled when over Women and the men will follow. They say women have the potential to be a highly profitable target audience for small business owners. The reason for this is because once you have won women over, they tend to be more brand loyal and are more inclined to offer referrals and recommendations than men. However, women are also complex, so a considered and nuanced approach to gaining their loyalty is needed, one that avoids being condescending or lumping all women into one homogeneous group. It's important to remember that marketing to women doesn't mean you be alienating men. In fact, there's a saying quote, if you meet the expectation of women, you often exceed the expectation of men without being dismissive of marketing to men. If you get your marketing to women right, you are more likely to effectively reach men too. So it continues, and it says women's sheer economic strength means business can vastly improve bottom line profit and create invaluable brand ambassadors. They control up to eighty five percent of consumer purchasing decisions and account for nearly half of all purchases in traditionally male dominated categories such as cars and electronics. Companies that recognize this and market themselves accordingly will break through the advertising clutter and encourage brand loyalty. I get that because like, if I like something, I'll buy that same bryon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to me, like that just makes sense. And now I'm like, asplaying a minute, men in my life, what do you just buy?
Speaker 2: Whatever do you find?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: My partner buys brand deals. He loves the wow deals in our market, and I'm like, I'm on murder you why you're doing this? I do believe I have witnessed this when I'm lie. Why my mother would be drold though, because she also just buys on sales and the numbers really haven't changed since twenty fifteen. According to the get Nux, y'all is git in ux. I'm gonna go with that market data report for twenty twenty four, which was published at the end of December of twenty twenty three, women drive seventy to eighty percent of consumer spending while men control the remaining twenty to thirty percent. Men are more likely to make impulse purchases fifty four percent than women forty five percent. On average, women spend three hundred and seventy nine minutes per week shopping while men spend two hundred and sixty three And surprise, though, men make up sixty two percent of the online spending in the US, I really would have thought it'd be more women to be yeah, but apparently not so. And according to kiplinger dot com, the targeting women is the most profitable decision for businesses. So these sites that I'm talking about when it comes to this, they're trying to do how to guide for businesses. So we're not going to go into what they say as their advice, but this is the information they're giving two businesses to let them know why they should be doing this. So their quote says, when it comes to marketing to women, the figures are compelling and clear. Globally, According to a not for profit that helps build workplaces that work for women, women control about thirty two trillion dollars in annual consumer spending and that's a lot of purchasing power. That's according to them. I didn't say that, and it's true though. I bet that up and it continues in the US for eighty five percent of all consumer spending, and they are responsible for a growing number of highly significant buying decisions, including ninety three percent of food and over the counter of pharmaceuticals, ninety two percent of vacations, ninety one percent of new homes, as well as eighty nine percent of bank accounts, eighty percent of healthcare, sixty six percent of PCs, and sixty five percent of new cars. I thought those percentages were really really wild to me. I mean, the food thing, obviously, but like when you come to the PCs and the new cars, it was like huh. And even the new homes, even though we did talk about the fact that more women are buying homes. So businesses have caught on to who they should be targeting as they work through on how to become more profitable. Of course, they're also looking at specific generations in their marketing as well. Gen ziers have become more of a focal point recently, more so than even the millennials, even though I think they have the more and disposable income technically at this time. Of Course, like any fad, though, things do go away and more and more people are talking about their dislike now of the Quenchers, even though they've done a good job in marketing. Articles like The New York Post writes quote despite all the Christmas presents. Though. Casey Lewis, a youth consumer trends analyst who writes the newsletter After School, told Business Insider that she thinks the hype is already dying down. They are absolutely on their way out. This is peak Stanley, she proclaimed. There's no up from here. Lewis noted that most people receiving Stanley cups as presents or college age and younger, but she sees the appeal fading away as a trend plays out. In my experience, most trends start with cool youth, and then once they trickle down to younger kids and up to adults, the cool youth move on. She explains, when young kids and tweens adopt a trend or product, teens and older gen z distanced themselves. Don't you feel so called out? You're like, well, Dale, I'm killing a trend, okay, as well as the young as they're killing the trend. Maybe then drunk elephant from Sephora will die out to I don't know. Yeah, that's the whole thing too, which is kind of part of the conversation about the trends. And again when we talked about self care stuff, what is what and who is being targeted? This is a smart play, but in the smart place, yes, it also means it could peak. When I was referencing other hyped water bottles, I was talking about the hydro flask which I just got, and I was like, oh, nice things, I don't know anythink, But then it says it was a dishwasher state. I was like, oh, well, that's nice, and then last year I got a Yetti coffee cup, which is also sandy and Yetti was huge, huge for a hot minute too, but has now been replaced by Stanley. It is also that off conversation which I'm pretty much implying that this is also problematic products like Stanley reusable cups, because the point of reusable cups is having less but now there's more, to the point that some of the TikTok videos that have gone viral are women showing off their giant collection of cups walls of Stanley's because you have the new additions, as in recently Stanley released their Gallantines cup. Yeah, I didn't know it's Gallantine. I feel like that's even more insulting than just being Valentines, which I think the pink cups were from Starbucks, which is a whole play on the fact that they're being boycotted and there they were losing money, so they're like, let's bring Stanley in. But yeah, so having the Gallantines also, which is part of the reason Target was run down by so many people, with people sitting in line since one am for the following day to open to get one of those cups. So a lot of problematic things with that, but a smart play. But you would hope that women would be the ones that would be in charge of some of these things. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, there's a lot of really interesting stuff that we could talk about at a later time around this, but it is it is funny at least with the I don't know, because I did do the Beanie Babies thing. There's like a scarcity thing that they do where they're like, this is limited, you can only get it them, and then.
Speaker 2: That's a huge ploy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So I like I've seen I've done this. I did it with the Beanie Babies, but like I've seen friends do this too with brands they really like, where it's like, oh, I have to get this one because it's limited, and that's how you get like a whole collection of them. And then maybe that trend fades and you're like, well, now I have a whole cup of beanie true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of the people who were trying to sell someone, they're like, oh no, they're worth two dollars. Yeah, and some of them got big money. But it's like timing.
Speaker 1: Yet sometimes it does come back. Yeah, I've recently have been seeing a lot of stuff about there's apparently certain versions of Disney VHSS that are worth a lot of money, and a lot of video games, yeah, Superintendo video games, and I think I have one of them, and I'm like, i's not in the packaging. I would never get any money.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that was the question was like, is it still in the packaging?
Speaker 1: It is not in the packaging, but I'm pretty sure it's that copy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so it's interesting. Yeah, there's a lot. And then the fact that I was more interested in the fact that they companies like this, companies like YETI they turned their marketing focus from men to women, and how much of it, Like literally in three years four years, Stanley made ten times more than they did like just targeting with one cup.
Speaker 1: Yep. It is pretty bizarre, especially given those other statistics you used. You quoted about like how much spending power, how much of the shopping women do that it's only now that some companies are like, you know what, maybe we should.
Speaker 2: We should notice this, you women buy well, Like the really sexist phrase women be shopping be like that was said for a reason. It's not completely wrong, is it sexist? Yet but also they they shop smarter, like that's the other key point. And yeah, one of the articles that the reason we that went to hear outside of just like why is everybody loving the Stanley Cup was that they were seeing that statistic that eighty five percent of consuming came from women and then not adding the fact that, yeah, three percent of the shopping for food is done by women. So of course that's where the like little numbers go, but no one wants to talk about that and who is responsible for the household.
Speaker 1: Or like something like holiday gifts. Exactly yes, because I've definitely seen my mom try to figure out getting my brother a laptop and it wasn't for her, but she was trying to, like what's the best thing, school stuff, any of those exactly exactly. Well, I learned so much. I really thought we were gonna be talking about hockey. So funny. Maybe later, maybe later, but yes, in the meantime, if we ever do that, listeners, please let us know if you have any thoughts about this, let me know if you're like me, thought it was gonna be hockey just right in. You can email us a stuffany mom stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You find us on Twitter at Master Podcast or in instagrament TikTok at stuff one. Never told you you have a tea public store and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks so always to our super producer Christine, their executive producer Maya, and their contributor Joey.
Speaker 2: Thank you and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 1: Stefan ever toil Dose Prediction of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, you can check out the art radio app Apple Podcasts, orhere you listen to your favorite shows