Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin in Iowa, where Donald Trump has cruised to victory in the first in the nation Republican Caucasus. Now the former president is calling on his rivals to drop out.
Speaker 4: And I really think this is time now for everybody our country to come together. We want to come together, whether it's Republican or a Democrat, or a liberal or conservative. It would be so nice if we could come together and straighten out the world, and straighten out the problems, and straighten out all of the death and destruction that we're witnessing.
Speaker 3: The former president won the Hawkeye state with fifty one percent of the vote. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis came in a distant second with twenty one point three percent. That's after Poul suggested he had dropped a third place before caucus night.
Speaker 5: In spite of all of that that they threw out us, everyone against us, we've got our ticket punched out of Iowa.
Speaker 3: Governor DeSantis came in just ahead of Nicky Haley with nineteen point one percent of the vote. Entrepreneur Vivik Graham Oswami dropped out of the race and endorse Trump after finishing fourth well Nathan.
Speaker 2: The resounding victory sets up the former president very well. Bloomberg Politics contributor Rick Davis explains how the nomination race could now unfold for Donald Trump.
Speaker 6: If Trump does run the table and gets both Iowa New Hampshire a really unusual thing, then he's got four weeks to consolidate his hold on South Carolina. And we've seen early polling the campaign hasn't gotten to South Carolina yet, so it's not reflective of a real campaign. But right now he's twenty points ahead of Nicki Haley, who calls it home. So and then after that, the really next big thing is Super Tuesday, So he could actually walk into Super Tuesday basically unchallenged at that point.
Speaker 2: And Bloomberg Politics contributor Rick Davis says a Trump presidential victory could result in sweeping changes for US policies on trade, over sees, conflicts, taxes, and civil rights.
Speaker 3: Karen Donald Trump's victory will be the talk of the town. At the World Economic Forum in Davos today, President Biden is once again skipping the event. Microsoft CEO Satia Nadella is in Davos. He talked to us about the importance of election integrity.
Speaker 7: Misinformation and election interference is going to be a real challenge that we all have to tackle. Me as a company have to do our best work right whether in the context of AI. We have lots of initiatives around content IDs and other things that will then help us.
Speaker 3: On a separate note, Microsoft CEO Satia Nodella said he wants good governance and steadiness at OpenAI, but he says he's not worried about the company's nonprofit structure and doesn't want greater control over his partner Well.
Speaker 2: Nathan out to the latest developments in the Middle East, around has attacked what it's said was an Israeli spy base in a rock with missiles. If true, it would be the first direct strike on Israeli interest since this started the war in Gaza, and a move that escalates the regent's conflicts. Israel is not commented and rarely does with such incidents and.
Speaker 3: Who the militants have attacked a US owned containership in the Red Sea Karen. That vessel was hit by a ballistic missile but avoided significant damage or injuries to the crew. This latest attack in the Red Sea comes after American and British forces bonded the hoof He's in an effort to deter them from disrupting global shipping.
Speaker 2: Well to Wall Street Now and Nathan Bank earnings kickoff this holiday shortened trading week with Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley reporting before the opening bell. Bloomberg Intelligence Senior analyst Alison Williams says she'll be watching how the trading desks performed in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 8: Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are the two top players in that business. Goldman was the leader, Morgan Stanley sort of took that position for several years, but now Goldman Sachs is sort of back in the lead, and so I think that's that's something that investors are watching for, you know, more of the interest of bragging rights because as the top two players, they are profitable in those businesses.
Speaker 2: And Bloomberg and Eligence senior analyst Allison Williams says investment banking fees and the outlook for a twenty twenty four recovery will be a focus for these banks.
Speaker 3: Hearin retirement savers are putting more money into stocks. That's among the findings of a new Bloomberg survey, and we get more in this report from Bloomberg's John Tucker, John.
Speaker 9: And Nathan latest Bloomberg Marcus Live Pulse survey finds almost half the respondents that they were putting more funds into stocks. It's a response to rising prices. Real estate and commodities are among the other choices, but shares of companies whose earnings are expended to rise with prices were clearly the preferred option. Now, this potentially offers a long term tailwind for stocks as societies get older. Now, this doesn't necessarily make stocks the right choice to counter inflation. You'll remember in the inflation are in nineteen seventies, stocks were the worst performing acid in real terms. I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, John, thanks well. In company news, Apple as we're moving up blood oxygen feature from its latest smart watches to get around a US band stemming from a pen dispute with the Massimo had ruled in October that Apple's devices violated Massimo patents related to blood oxygen measurement that led Apple to pause sales with the smart watches. Just ahead of Christmas, though an interim stay allow the company to bring the products back late last month.
Speaker 3: And Elon Musk says he is uncomfortable growing Tesla's AI capacity without a larger share of voting control. The automaker's currently investing more than a billion dollars into its Dojo supercomputer product and working to develop humanoid robots, but in a post on his social platform x, Musk said without twenty five percent of voting control in Tesla, he'd prefer to develop products independently.
Speaker 2: And Nathan Microsoft is opening up its artificial intelligence assistant to consumers and making the corporate aversion available to smaller companies. It's all part of an effort to increase the number of paying customers for the new services. Microsoft is selling a twenty dollars a month consumer version of Copilot with access to open AI's latest chat, GPT technology, and image creation features. If a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Moore's Amy Good Morning.
Speaker 10: Good Morning, Karen. Most of the East Coast now has been without snow for a couple of years until now. The Midwest also dealing with some dangerously cold temperatures. Let's get more from Bloomberg meteorologist Rob Carolyn.
Speaker 11: Week area of low pressure bringing some snow to areas that haven't really seen a whole lot of snow over the last two years. We're having some snow this morning in the Baltimore area, but it'll be ending the New York City area. We'll see the light snow end by early afternoon, and Boston light snow will continue throughout the day and and during the evening. Looks like the Boston area picks up an inch or two before it mixes a little bit of rain. An additional intro so possible in the New York City area, very little additional accumulation around the district in Baltimore. Also, looks like the cold in the Upper Midwest will continue for a while longer, and then it shifts east this weekend.
Speaker 10: And we continue to track the winter weather, and we'll hear from Rob throughout the morning here on Bloomberg Now. We've been telling you about the results of the Iowa Caucus and part of the fallout, entrepreneur vivek Ramaswami is dropping out of the for president.
Speaker 12: As of this moment, we are going to suspend this presidential campaign, and this is going to have to be. There is no path for me to be the next president absent things that we don't want to see happen in this country.
Speaker 10: Namaswami suspended his bid after a disappointing showing in the Iowa caucus, deciding instead to throw his support to former President Trump, who was declared the winner last night. He told his supporters there are two America First candidates and that he called Trump earlier in the evening to congratulate and endorse him. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin out of the hospital and recovering now. The Pentagon says he was released from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center yesterday. He was admitted the hospital two weeks ago from complications from prostate cancer surgery. Three shows dominated the Emmys last night. The HBO drama Succession won six awards, including Best Drama Series. Effx Is The Bear won Best Colum had won several acting honors. Netflix Limited series Beef won five trophies at last night ceremony. Quenta Brunson's win for Comedy was the first for a female block actor in more than forty years. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Amy Morrison. This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. What we do bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But now, as Amy said, you can get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you want it. Just subscribe to Bloomberg News Now and you can get the latest headlines right at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot Com plus Apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, Here's John stash Hour, John.
Speaker 5: Karen An NFL put out doubleheader on a Monday. The Buffalo game, of course, moved from Sunday because of all the snow there, and they did shovel away at least much of the snow in the stands and the fans were able to see the Bills defeat Pittsburgh thirty one to seventeen. Bills jumped in front twenty one to nothing and held on. Josh Allen threw for two touchdowns, also had a fifty two yard TV run. The Bills were six and six, they've won six in a row and they will host Kansas City on Sunday night. The Tampa Bay Bucks were four and seven. Since then they've gone six and one. Meanwhile, Philadelphia was ten and one, closed out the season going one and six. It was all Bucks last night, thirty two to nine. Baker Mayfield through for three hundred and thirty seven yards three touchdowns. They covered twenty three, forty four and fifty six yards and now the Bucks get ready to play the Lions in Detroit on Sunday. Meanwhile, Bill Belichick is a coaching free agent and he has had his first job interview, and it's with the Atlanta Falcons. That's, of course, the team the Patriots had the big comeback against in Super Bowl fifty one. Falcons not a particularly good team under five hundred that they do not have a good quarterback. Belichick's sons, Steve and Brian, who were both the assistance to him in New England, have been told by Giron Mayo, who replaced Beeblechick as a new head coach, that they can remain with the Pats Jim Harbaugh had an interview with the La Chargers. Celtics went to thirty one to nine. They wanted Toronto one O five to ninety six. The Wizard lost to lowly Detroit at home, and the Warrior struggles continue. They lost in Memphis. Just dashaward Bloomberg's.
Speaker 13: Plots from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump's front runner status in the twenty twenty four Republican presidential race now appears sealed. That's after the former president cruise to victory in last night's Iowa caucuses, with many news organizations calling the race before some caucus sites even opened in the Hawkeye state. For some morning after analysis, we are joined by Greg Valier, the chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. Greg, Good morning. When we listen to former President Trump's victory speech, he sounded like a candidate who's sealed up the nomination.
Speaker 13: Has he?
Speaker 14: Oh? I think he has? Nathan, Maybe we go until March fifth, which is super Tuesday. I think after March fifth, Trump will be the presumptive nominee.
Speaker 3: Why do you think he's not the presumptive nominee necessarily?
Speaker 14: Now, well, let's see how New Hampshire turns out. It's possible Nikki Haley could have a strong second. Let's see how South Carolina turns out a couple of weeks later, where Haley could do well. But I'd out of caution. I will say maybe this goes until March fifth, but I don't think it's going any longer.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, coming out of the Iowa caucuses, the former president had more than double the previous record when it comes to the margin of victory, coming in nearly thirty points ahead of Ron DeSantis. But turnout in this race was as low as it's been in more than a decade by some counts, as low as it's been in a quarter century. I mean, what does that tell you about where things stand in the race now?
Speaker 14: I think it shows as a lot of people have commented that Donald Trump's supporters would walk over broken glass to go to a polling place to vote for Donald Trump. His base is really adamantly in favor of him.
Speaker 3: Well, what about Ron DeSantis? The polls coming into this caucus appeared as though he might slip to third place, but he managed to squeak out second. Does he have momentum now?
Speaker 14: Not a lot. I mean it was still a fairly week second. And I think that DeSantis is in trouble in New Hampshire. I think Nicky Haley will have a fairly good night in New Hampshire next week, but DeSantis is on really thin ice right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, so how about Nicki Haley? You mentioned that she could have a good night in New Hampshire. How do you see things playing out in New Hampshire a week from today?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I don't think Trump will get fifty percent like he did last night. I think he got fifty one last night. I think it'll be closer, but I think Trump will still win. Then South Carolina a couple weeks later could be really interesting because of course Haley is from South Carolina, but Trump is very popular there. I just don't see a big opening left for Desantus.
Speaker 3: So with the race heading into New Hampshire next week, South Carolina the week after that, going into Super Tuesday, you don't see it as necessarily being a long slog. But how does this race shape President Trump? Former President Trump up for a general election contest? Should he be thinking about the general election at this point?
Speaker 14: Yeah, the general election looks roughly tied, Paul. Some poles showed Trump ahead by two or behind by two. A lot of wildcards, Nathan, whether it's immigration. You look at the Chinese election this past weekend, you look at a need to support Ukraine, you look at what's happening right now in the Red Sea. There's a lot of big wildcards still to play out.
Speaker 3: And how should President Biden be reacting to this result? You mentioned immigration, and going into the race, immigration was seen as the biggest issue for many of the voters going in here. How should President Biden react to a Trump victory in Iowa?
Speaker 14: Well, I'm told that in private he's furious that he's not doing better because he feels the economy has improved. And he's right, the economy has improved, but there are still so many other issues. And to see Biden now in the low thirties, you'd have to say, at best he's tied with Trump. He may be trailing by three or four points. As we get past Super Tuesday.
Speaker 3: How much of an issue at this point is former President Trump's legal battles. I mean, coming out of this Iowa caucus, He's going to be heading right back into a court room later today for the Egene Carrol case. That's one of many legal matters that he's dealing with.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I don't get that one. He shows up in court, mocks the judge, mocks prosecutors, and thinks that it's going to help him politically. I disagree. I don't think he has to do that, because he just draws more attention to these problems, and.
Speaker 3: He certainly got the attention of Iowa voters last night, as you said, walking over coals and over sub zero ice to get to the caucuses for him last night.
Speaker 11: Thank you for this. Greg.
Speaker 3: Good having you on with us this morning after the Iowa caucuses.
Speaker 1: Greg Valiere with.
Speaker 3: Us this morning, the chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. Now we want to turn from snowy Iowa to snowy Switzerland and bring you some of the most important conversations from the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella says he wants good governance and steadiness at open Ai, but he's not worried about the company's nonprofit structure and doesn't want greater control over his AI partner. Satya Nadella spoke with Bloomberg's Bradstone at Bloomberg House in Davos.
Speaker 15: You guys have been fairly aggressive and out in front on adding AI features and capabilities to your products, and yesterday you made an announcement where you're expanding the rollout of the co pilot tool, fueled partly by your partnership with the open Ai, into Microsoft products like Outlook and Word and Excel. Talk a little bit about that and how widely do you expect those tools to be used.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, if I step back, if you sort of look at what has happened even in the last so i'd say sixteen months, right, you have to go back to November off to two, when chat GPT first came out. I think that was the moment, which I like to describe as the Mosaic like moment. In fact, interesting enough, it is November of ninety three, a year after I joined Microsoft in Mosaic first came out, and I think that's the first AI product that we all could relate to and get a real sense of what this generation of AI can do in our lives. But for me, maybe the product that really helped crystallize the potential was get Up Copilot, which probably came six eight months before that, and especially when we know we scaled from GPT three to three five, that's around the time when we felt that if you can take something like software development, which is let's call it, the most elite knowledge work there is, and have a tool that allows software developer, in fact, bring joy back to software development, keep them in flow, get them to finish tasks that to be solidified in fact the idea that you can have a copilot for pretty much every human task. And so we have been on that journey and we are anchored on two real things.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: The one thing the breakthrough is the user interface. In fact, seventy years of computing history has always been about can you build that most interuitive user experience. That's kind of how it led to graphical interfaces or the multi touch phone or what have you. But now with natural language, you ultimately in some sense have arrived at that point where it's not about us understanding computers, but computers understanding us. So that's one major breakthrough. The other breakthrough is we now have a new reasoning engine, which is a neural reasoning engine, because the other seventy year history of computing was we digitize people, places and things and try to make sense of it reason about it. And so we now have a new capability. So you put these two things together, a new user interface that's much more in TUE, grounded in natural language, but multi modal, multi turn, multi domain, and a reasoning engine. Pretty much every software category, what is productivity, what is an operating system, what's the browser? They all in some sense collapse. And so that's why I do OSK Copilot. Just as maybe in the past we were known as an office company, or a Windows company or a cloud company, I think going forward we will be We have a co pilot. We have a co pilot stack in Azure, which is all the APIs and that's sort of what our co focus is.
Speaker 15: Right now, tell us let's talk a little bit about the relationship with open ai and how we should understand it. Copilot is powered by open Ai. We saw some instability in the relationship back in November, which.
Speaker 8: You seem to have now come through is Microsoft.
Speaker 15: Outsourcing what you're describing as a core capability going forward?
Speaker 7: And yeah, so I think if you sort of step back, in fact, it's probably helpful to understand. I grew up in a Microsoft which sort of had these massive partnerships. The first partnership that at least I joined was around Intel and Microsoft. I don't think Windows would have existed without Intel, and Intel wouldn't have had the success without Windows. Subsequently, in fact, it's interesting, I worked on our sql server product with SAP. In fact, I don't think sql database would have existed without SAP. SAP success of being able to support sql server also help them a lot, and so in the same way, and I think of open AI and Microsoft, so I'm used to constructing. In fact, a lot of people talk about organic development, which of course is the core. People talk about M and A, but sort of not as much as talked about how much enterprise value gets created by partnering effectively. So that's the spirit with which I think about open AI. So there's a whole lot we do. So when you say outsourcing, who's outsourcing what to whom? Is the real question?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: So we build a compute, they then use the compute to do the training. We then take that put it into products, and so in some sense, it's a partnership that is based on each of us really reinforcing what everyone each other does, and then ultimately being competitive in the marketplace. There's room for I call it horizontal specialization. There is room for vertical specialization. Sometimes some business models are in vogue.
Speaker 13: I'm a big believer in.
Speaker 7: Horizontal specialization, especially if you can vertically integrate everything.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak