Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations. It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's given me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision makers. It's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 3: Here we go. Hi, I'm Rashan McDonald.
Speaker 4: I host the weekly money Making Conversation master last show. The interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own.
Speaker 3: My guest is the legendary Ricky Smiling.
Speaker 4: He's an incredible chef, comedian, actor, arthur, television host and award winning radio host of the top rated nationally syndicated program, The Ricky Smiley Morning Show.
Speaker 3: Ricky has been a comedian for more than thirty years.
Speaker 4: He's constant performing across the country and this year will be shooting a stand up comedy special in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama.
Speaker 3: Now, if you ever in Birmingham.
Speaker 4: Alabama, you have to drop by his hometown comedy club to start them on Monday nights where he regularly performs and hosts his charaoke night.
Speaker 3: That's sold out. It's sold out. Then they're eating chicken and laughing.
Speaker 4: Please welcome the money making covering Sension Masterclass showed the incredible Ricky Smiley, my brother, my young brother, my friend brother.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up big bro? Hey?
Speaker 5: First of all, I know you're trying to get the intro and stuff right. A lot of people don't know. Had it not been for you, it would not be the Ricky Smider Morning Show. Thanks to you and your influence and talking to Alfred and Missus Hughes when they asked a question, who would be great to fill in because y'alls going to another company'll and y'all said Ricky Snouley. So I really appreciate the opportunity, and I just try to take advantage of every opportunity that y'all have ever provided for me.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate you were shigning for everything.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, Ricky, thank you for being a mentor and thank you for being a big brother.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all.
Speaker 4: Thank you because a lot of people get opportunities, Ricky, you know that, and they don't understand the work that's involved, because getting up every day all these years since we gave you the opportunity can be challenging, can be frustrating, and people walk away and go give half effort.
Speaker 3: But you've established your brand in radio.
Speaker 4: Tell the importanness of branding through the radio and how you impact the community other than just being a funny guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brandon is important.
Speaker 5: One thing that does reshine to keep your name out there, keep your brand out there. If you're lucky and blessed enough to get stations like DL Steve myself different ones every hour, at least two or three times an hour your name is mentioned on the radio station. Somebody dropped in the car, they hear your name. You know that's that's good for your Brand's good for your social media. That keep your your name presence with people. At the top of the hour when they do the station I d a home of the Ricky Smiley Morning Show or whatever, and then they might play a clip or whatever. These are in cars while people driving to work getting off work, dropping the kids, or you know, when they're flipping radio station, they hear your name. So when you show up at a comedy club or whatever, it hurts your name so much and it's a build up. People pay money and they stand the line and they come out to see you. Because it's not a lot of people that do radio that still perform other than d L and myself that.
Speaker 2: Have their own show, syndicated show.
Speaker 4: Now, that's that's important that the business side see. I've met Ricky Smiley.
Speaker 3: Web back when he was just a young comedian that wanted to be on stage to tell Joe. Now I'm here Ricky Smile and the business man.
Speaker 4: When did that part of Ricky Smile has started going in front of the comedian.
Speaker 5: People like you cussing people out on the phone every other week. Yah yeah, yeah. I want everybody that's watching this interview to see that this a very classy and pleasant interview. As a matter of fact, when I came on the interview, I had on a Nike T shirt and Rashaan cursed at me and told me I need to go put on a suit coat. Tired or told them that, so I had to run run back to my room and get dressed. People don't understand the relationship without listen. You have to have somebody to coach you, and coaching don't have to be kind. Nick Saban holler at those guys all day, cussing out all week, but then they.
Speaker 2: Hold up the SEC championship at the end of the day. Day.
Speaker 5: And if you don't have anybody mentoring you, somebody saying, hey, go put on a shirt. Hey, okay, this is a real this is an interview of our business. Go put on a shirt and tie. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't thinking or whatever, but I just appreciate. I appreciate the correction. And Rashaana know I'm not sensitive. Get in my face, curse me. I'll tell me what I need to know. Don't let me walk around the party with nothing in my nose. Give me some tissue, tell me to go in the corner and blow my nose.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. That's that's what a real friend gonna do for you.
Speaker 5: So people like yourself one of my top mentors, getting at me about certain things and certain stuff on like you'll call me if you see something on social media saying hey, you, you should reconsider that you maybe you should take that down.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that. Hell, you don't know unless you have a coach. So I just appreciate everything.
Speaker 5: But that's what turned you into a business, and having a coach and having correction.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, you know your hometown guy, you know, and I've been down to your house and I'm a let everybody know when you come to Ricky Smiley house, come home, gry, come homewark because.
Speaker 3: He gets mad if you don't understand that.
Speaker 4: He's you're coming to a hidden chef because if he didn't do the RICKSI Morning Show, he'd be doing Ricky Smiley Cooking Show.
Speaker 3: Tell us about that. He's gonna walk you through the house. He gonna take you out in the garage, show you that extra refrigerator.
Speaker 2: He gonna show you.
Speaker 3: The shelves that looked like walmart Ricky. I love that.
Speaker 2: Talk about the chicken and dumplins something I know.
Speaker 3: So what did what did the cooking training come from? What did that? I know you down home? Both tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Rason, I'm the oldest grand child, so I had to help my grandma. You know, people would drop aunts and uncles would drop their kids at my grandmother's for the summer, so I had to help my grandmother prepare meals. I got that kind of figuring out, like, well, why are you doing that like that? Why don't you do that like this? And and then this started making sense to my grandmoma, you know, so I started getting in there. And then it got to a point where my grandmother got tired of argument and the kitchen. She said, well, you where you cook the meal, will you go in there and take out the part ropes? And I started adding my own little seasonings and spices and.
Speaker 2: Stuff too it.
Speaker 5: And then it got to a point where my grandmother wouldn't cook anymore. As a matter of fact, when my grandparents got older, I would cook a lot of food. At the beginning of the week, my grandparents would come over with tougher wear bowls.
Speaker 2: And then they would have dinner. For the rest of the week.
Speaker 5: I would cook for myself and both set for my grandparents and we would divide the food.
Speaker 2: Just before they all passed away, and.
Speaker 5: They just really didn't have to cook anymore, so they would warm up stuff.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I just love to cook, and I started adding my own little twisting and flavor to it. So I learned how to get down and get down. Plus I'm trained by an executive chef. I am trained Kurt Boudreaux, chef Gennar Uh. They are giving me some wonderful recipes and gotten in the kitchen with me and taught me a lot of techniques and a lot of things about seasoning and flavoring and making sure that your food is good, you know, helping me, coaching me in and cooking.
Speaker 4: So but I share a name like pastor body there's into Burman and market. Not trying to connect the two. But church church, you are a church boar. You start your show every day with a gospel song. Why is that important?
Speaker 3: Ricky?
Speaker 2: Uh? First of all, shout out the past.
Speaker 5: Uh uh uh Pastor Mike, Uh, he lived, he lived one street over.
Speaker 2: Her right there. Let me show Let me show you where his house here? Now? Uh uh?
Speaker 5: You know you know sign before we eat before black folks, before we eat, we honor God. Before we travel, we ask God for traveling grace. And you know, you know, before you do a morning show, you don't know what kind of date somebody's having, what kind of morning somebody's having.
Speaker 2: You don't know what somebody went through that night.
Speaker 5: And I always told God, if I ever had my own morning show, I was gonna always open up and on him. So those first fifteen minutes on my morning show, I'm giving you, giving God the praise that he deserved, woke us up this morning and closed on our right mind. Things might not be perfect, but we just putting a lot of hope in people giving you know, and God honors that, you know when you give him praise like that every single morning on the syndicated show. Sometimes God minister the people through you, and I mixed uping new with the own because I'm gonna have me. You know, I'll play like all of the up to day artists, but I promise you, I promise you every morning I'm gonna have some Plano's tenors in Alto.
Speaker 3: That's the morning show for a repart.
Speaker 4: I get up at four thirty old school and doing Steve Hard Morning Show all those years, I still get up like I'm doing the morning show at six and six am. I get up at four thirty. Ain't nobody wants to get up before thirty, you know that, Rick? Yeah, But what gets me rolling? I'm on your social media feed.
Speaker 3: I follow Ricky Smiley feed on Facebook. If you have not.
Speaker 4: Liked him or follow him, you're missing some of the funniest social media post in the country. In the country, Ricky, you literally if you don't make me laugh, you make me smile. Oh, you make me say that boy's a food, that boy's crazy, that boy's stupid, that boy's ignorant. How the consistency of them. Sometimes the other day when you had the lady or the lady the fat feet.
Speaker 2: When I when I put this, just blessed.
Speaker 4: It's just a simple taught process, Ricky. Where is all this ignorance coming from? Ricky on your Facebook page? And nikas posting consistently.
Speaker 5: In the bed waking up in the middle of the night thinking the stupid stuff, thinking the crazy stuff and funny stuff. If I laugh out loud in my bedroom, next thing, you know, I said, Okay, I'm gonna post this in the morning. Sometimes, yeah, I think I'm posting around five, between five and six am.
Speaker 2: My first post. I have to hit them hard, something something real funny.
Speaker 5: But yeah, when I posted that the lady feet and a lot of time you look at the feet and you know, you see what the feet is and how the feet look. You don't have to make fun of the feat. You just say this just blessed me.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what. This is what a bad day look like, right right? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Man, rashon social media is so important.
Speaker 5: Keeping your fans and your followers entertained or whatever. Social media helped to sell out shows post on media that you're performed somewhere. A lot of gigs that you get because you got followers. So when you get the followers, you have to keep them entertained and get your little help to help you run your social media to make sure that you don't make any mistakes and get kicked off, face broken, all that kind of stuff that you're operating correctly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Fun now social media. You could be anywhere you be in New York.
Speaker 4: You can follow them for social media and get those huge labs that I get every morning. But if you want to see it for real, the raw version, the improvisational version, the impromptu talent that shouldn't be on stage, and a lot of talent that should be on stage, go to Birmingham, Alabama on a Monday night Stardom and he will show you the gifts that God gave him at that Carraoke Night talk to tell him about it, Ricky, come on, oh.
Speaker 5: Man, Carryoke Night is great. I got a co host named Big Chris.
Speaker 3: That ain't everybody.
Speaker 5: Everybody loved Big Chris, Big Chris. I think Big Chris be thirty four on his on his next birthday. Thanks Birthday coming up sometime February and March something like that. But that's my co host right on Karaoke Night. And I know how to keep Chris in lane. You know, Chris is a distraction and Big Chris it's a challenge. It's a challenge, but I know how to. I know how to keep him in lane because you know we are a good conversation on CARRYO.
Speaker 6: Don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 4: Now, if you you go to Ricky Smiler dot com and you scroll down and he has video clips of current uh Monday Night performances that stood out that night. So just in case you can't get down there, just go to Ricky Smiler dot com.
Speaker 3: He's just going shine really do follow me? Yes, I do.
Speaker 5: Brother, Hey, Hey, that means that means I've been doing everything right because I had got no text something wrong.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 5: Well you know, you know it's like it's like if Rashaan called, you just gonna look at the phone.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I know, I know. Take that.
Speaker 3: Smith said, come on, Rashan, why are you calling me? Stephen, Stephen, That's all just a couple of things I want to say to your brother. That's all just I love you. Just held. Just give me a minute to talk before you come in. Because in the.
Speaker 4: End, you know, even with Steve Harvey and any else I'm involved in my life, I understand crisis management. I understand the next step, the six months down the line, the three months down loud. It might be funny now the repercussions of it. I'm not saying you've done anything disasters like I just try to just get in everybody's ears that I love, that I believe in. That makes the difference, because you want of these people can elect presidents, you want of these people can raise funds for a community.
Speaker 3: You want of the black voices that we.
Speaker 4: Have at the next generation is because you know the al Sharptons, the Jesse Jackson's and Andrew Young's. That group either near the grave or their voices irrelevant to the community that we're.
Speaker 3: Talking to nowadays.
Speaker 4: You know, we say rappers out there killing each other and we try to reel all this in.
Speaker 3: And you on a hip hop format, talk about your role.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my role is to give you about as of funny, spiritual and community and what.
Speaker 2: Is it called pop culture?
Speaker 5: So you know we're talking about what's going on, uh, you know with with all these athletes and their relationships and rappers and singers and their relationships.
Speaker 2: Uh, stuff that's going on with with singers.
Speaker 5: And you know Gary does that Uh uh Gary, Gary with the tu man. There was a tense moment when he when he when he came on there when Dionne and and Tracy broke up, and he said that Tracy Evans has entered the transferred portal.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I threw I threw my headphones and got up and walked out the room.
Speaker 2: I was in tears.
Speaker 5: Not the fact that I wasn't laughing at the fact that they broke up, but the fact that Gary.
Speaker 2: Said that they she chopped the transfer see resigning and you.
Speaker 5: Know Brian is my friend, but man, that was funny. But Prian, I'm sure you're not getting married because Prian loved Gary. But but for Gary to say that she jumped in the transfer portal, man, I think everybody this polity to their headphone long and just went and stepped outside. Uh and and everybody's just scattered because it was it was that funny. But for him to put it into that crist But we all will agree she's a five star recruit.
Speaker 3: We were all.
Speaker 7: Whoam you see them videos with her decorating the Christmas tree that with that blue dress.
Speaker 2: Sun we shun.
Speaker 3: Five star recruit?
Speaker 4: Okay, Doc Alabama water un see water know the dame wanna Georgia wanna everybody? She's in that transfer a portal. Let me just tell you something about Ricky smile. Let's let's move out the jokes. Professional, smart, educated, family man, honest.
Speaker 3: Loyal to a fault.
Speaker 4: But more importantly, he don't forget. He don't forget, and he cared about your kids, even if he doesn't know your kids. He cared about your family even if he doesn't know your family. That's why that morning show I had to fight and get him understand who he was and what value he was going to bring and has been bringing to the table the last two decades of being on the radio.
Speaker 3: He didn't see that back then, but I think he understands it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it now, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I really really really appreciate it and grateful for the opportunity we on some of the big stay We're on a news station in Tampa call the Vibe the Cocks Radio. Flip the entire format and put us on so you can hear us now in Tampa, Saint Pete, Bradington.
Speaker 2: Sarasota, clear Water. So that's a big station. Of course.
Speaker 5: You know, we're on in Orlando, number one in Miami, number one in Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: Then we have Atlanta, Dallas.
Speaker 5: Louisville, Nashville, really big station there, Cleveland, Baltimore. It leaves over into the DC area, Chicago, definitely on in the Shire, were on in in Portland, Oregon. We on in Seattle, Washington.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't forget my hometown in Houston now, yes, yes, we're definitely in Houston on a big station in Houston.
Speaker 2: As a matter of.
Speaker 4: Fact, Now, book are rumors that Ricky Smileley wants to be an author. I said it in the credits for the Next Level talk about that I wrote one.
Speaker 5: Book called stand By Your Truth. I just wrote another book. I'm so excited about it. And if I'm not mistaking this topic that I mean, the title is going to be side Show. Uh you remember show step step right up her Hey can't afford to pass it by, but guaranteed.
Speaker 2: So it shows the happy side and the sad side.
Speaker 5: Considering that twenty twenty twenty three, I had something to go on with all.
Speaker 2: Of my kids.
Speaker 5: My oldest son passed away, my daughter gave birth, and both of my younger two kids graduated college in one graduate college and pledge.
Speaker 2: AKA.
Speaker 5: So it's been it's been twenty twenty three has been.
Speaker 2: It's been like that.
Speaker 5: I've been dealing with depression, sadness, anxiety.
Speaker 2: Losing a child is.
Speaker 5: Something I would never wish on anybody. This time of year, you know, the holidays are are really hard. I've been getting therapy twice a week, learning how to sit in my feelings instead of just finding something to do and blocking it out of my head.
Speaker 2: Because it's still there.
Speaker 5: It's a possible, and it's gonna come out one way or the other. So I had to learn how to sit in my feelings and just sit right here in this chair about this fireplace and cry it out.
Speaker 2: And I'm talking about sitting in this house.
Speaker 5: If you was a fly on the wall and saw me sit by myself at this table and cry for hours in hours and just just cry, you know, trying to get that, get that out of my system. Because losing a kid or shunning the bills don't stop coming. I still got to get up the new radio because other people have lost kids.
Speaker 2: Also. My son was thirty two.
Speaker 5: But I did carry ok last night and there was a lady and her husband sitting in the audience just trying to enjoy the husband's birthday because they got to bury there of twenty five year old son Saturday. So who are you, Who are you not to get up and get on the radio and inspire somebody just because you suffered the loss from people going through worse twenty five my son, God gave me.
Speaker 2: I look at it like God gave me.
Speaker 5: Extra years because my son could have died when he was twenty five.
Speaker 2: He could have died when he was seventeen, you know, And a lot of time.
Speaker 5: Man, God, all of this stuff, at the end of the day is a test. How are you going to handle this situation?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: You gonna make this situation about you? Are you gonna use the situation to get better, to get close of the God, bring other people close to the God, and help other people with their situation. And so my son died on a Sunday. They told me to take as much time as I need. That Wednesday, I was back on the air and I cried in between the songs. I cried doing Mercy Break, but I thugged it out and I stayed on the radio and did what I.
Speaker 2: Had to do.
Speaker 5: And I went and served the homes at the Salvation Army that Wednesday before his funeral. I thank God for carrying me. I thank God for keeping me. I thank God. If I never knew God.
Speaker 2: A day of my life, I knew him January.
Speaker 5: To twenty ninth, twenty twenty three. Because I didn't do it by myself. God was carrying me. I couldn't walk down the hall to get to the elevator to get on the plane to get the Birnham.
Speaker 2: I said God, if I can make it.
Speaker 5: Down the hall, from my door to the elevator at my apartment Complax in Dallas.
Speaker 2: If you let me make it to the elevator.
Speaker 5: I can make it because I promised God I was about to pass out, and that's a fact.
Speaker 3: I'm glad he allowed me that honest moment.
Speaker 4: That's why I didn't want to interrupt, because our relationship is about honesty. Our relationship about the truth. Let me tell you the truth about this man. Incredible family, incredible father, parent.
Speaker 3: I love it. Hey, Ricky, smile again.
Speaker 4: Thank you for taking the time to come with money making conversation, master class show man, your special brother in so many ways, because you're changing lives every day, changing my lines at four thirty in the morning, money through Friday.
Speaker 3: You changed my life than happiness to it more important.
Speaker 4: Man, Allow me to share your story, this side of it and the return of little Darren.
Speaker 3: Whoa me Me I love. And we learned a couple of things. We learned about transfer a portal of day. We learned that he taking a special with David and Lynn Talbot. Okay, we learned that on.
Speaker 4: Monday nights, the karaoke night that he holds is sold out.
Speaker 3: So if you want to get a ticket. If you don't get a ticket.
Speaker 4: Go to rickysmile dot com and you can see some of the top excerpts for those video excerpts.
Speaker 3: From that on this website. But more important, we learned that you your humble brother.
Speaker 4: You're humble, god fearing man man, and I will see you at your comedy special on that Friday night.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go rid the Route to the Good Bruthers.
Speaker 5: Ricky Smitty spring Syer, Chapter two thousand, trade dollars, baby baby, a real baby.
Speaker 3: He's a young folk.
Speaker 4: Nineteen eighty one, y'all, I'm looking at you nineteen eighty one, four degrees hotly in the hell.
Speaker 3: I love it, brother, Thank you, rick smiling.
Speaker 2: Love you man.
Speaker 6: Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow Money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Ladies and gentlemen, it's time you stop reading other people's success stories and start writing your own.