Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha and welcome you. Steffan never told you a prediction of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to the very first feminist movie Wednesday, as it is being published on a Wednesday. But we are opening up this year with a great throwback of one of my favorites from college. Like my college roommates and I would quote this, I think I did that to you while we were watching it together, which is the classic my Big Fat Greek Wedding. Apparently, as any and I were talking about this, there has been two more additions to this film line, and it just kind of goes on with the family and what happens with them. It was released in two thousand and two, yes, while I was in college, and of course that meant that I had some good old memories with this as my friends and I really loved this movie because it was somewhat wholesome, and if y'all remember during my college years, I was very caught up in the Christian world. Talked about the fact that I didn't watch TV at all for a long time because you know sin, but this was one of those that we allowed in our lives because it was at least less cursing, less sex.
Speaker 3: So you did tell me a funny fact about.
Speaker 2: And we will come back to that because this is a ridiculous part of my life and what we were thinking of that time. And I also told you that when I was in school, I was in social work and in my program there was a Greek woman. She we were all like, I guess twenties, early early twenties, and she talked about the fact that this movie was exactly like her life, and she was like, y'all, if y'all need a testament about how accurate this is, it really is as a Greek woman, I can tell you it is on the nose, which is not surprising because the writer and creator of this movie, Nia Verdallas, who is the main character, is the writer of this movie. She actually did it as a play for a split second, I think, because she didn't have any backing during that time, and it got picked up by Rita Wilson, who was Greek loving this play, and her and Tom Hanks, whose own label PLAYTNE picked it up and did it as one of their first movies that they produced. So there you go. That's part of the movie. If you just said, if you didn't know that far anyway, So let's do a quick recap. We have the main character of Fetula or Tula Portculis, played by again the writer of the movie and creator, Nia Verdallas, who is a thirty year old woman living with her parents and still very single to her Greek parents Dismay played by Laine Kazan and Michael Constantine. And now she puts it, this is a failing as nice Greek women are supposed to be quote, do three things in life, marry Greek boys, make Greek babies, and feed everyone until the day we die. So while her family is large, loud and proud Greek family who works hard in Chicago, and she does love all of them, but she wants something more. She wants to go to college and do something different than working at the family restaurants and having a lot of babies. And after an awkward interaction with her future love interests played by Sex and the City alum John Corbett, she had her makeover both physically and mentally. Soon she was taking off those silly glasses sarcasm and putting the contacts in and sitting with the white girls at school who accepted her unlike her childhood experience who all made fun of her. She with her mother and her aunt come up with this grift essentially to get her father to allow her to start working at her aunt's travel agency. Well because you know, men are the head of the household and need to be the one to suggest these things or is offensive, so obviously they had to work that out. Soon after she starts working, she meets Ian Miller slash John Corbett again and they are smitten and in love. Even though her family is against her marrying a non Greek man, they finally give in after Ian converts to Greek Orthodoxism and is baptized into the church so they can get married there. Soon after, we have a very large, lavish wedding. They all celebrate being together because the Miller family's name comes from the Greek word apples, as her father likes to say, while their family name Portaclis means oranges, so apples and oranges fruits together essentially, is what he says. And they live happily ever after, right next to her parents, who have bought them a house as their wedding gift. So that is pretty much the whole entirety of the movie. Very delightful, very easy watch Annie. I have to ask, because so Annie and I did watch this together, and I was very delighted by the fact that we could do that because I'm like, oh, yeah, this is gonna be hilarious. Not only do we have old technology from two thousand and two, because Tula gets to go to school to do that specifically, and there was like this whole like print for computer and tourism and she jumps on board and Annie's like bursting out laughing at the whole advertiser. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so we had all of that, so we got to see it together. So what was your thoughts on the movie. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It was I had a lot of It was pretty comical in like looking back in it, because it does have a lot of the tropes you know that we've talked about, like the kind of movie makeover. We did talk a lot about the religious aspects. It was like, no, I would never do that. And of course I had to talk about my fan fiction. That is, I have two fan fiction that I've read that I love that are based loosely on this movie.
Speaker 3: So I was thinking about.
Speaker 1: That and it was really fun to watch it with you because you did have all the quotes you and you would like do them with as the line came on, which is something I.
Speaker 3: Normally do and we watch something together. So that was very fun. Yeah, I mean I thought it was a very.
Speaker 1: Like you said, it was like a it was an easy, enjoyable watch, like everyone kind of worked out and it was nice.
Speaker 2: Exactly what's so funny? So again I was in my religious heyday in this, and so watching this was quite funny because we also understand this whole level of like tradition and weddings and how it means such so much for families sometimes. And my roommate and I at the time loved quoting movies at each other. This was one of them that we would quote all the time. We would quote Bride and Prejudice, which is that Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice. We did that as well as Bend It like Beckham, and as well as any of the Christopher guests. Mockumentaries, so it includes like Best in Show. I don't know if y'all know any of those, but it's ridiculous, and it's all mockumentaries that are pretty much ad lips. But anything like that. We would quote in Big Fat Greek. We my big fat Greek wedding was up there, including like the scene where the dad gets upset when she asked to go to college with his why do you want to leave me? We used to do that to each other all the time. Yeah, so that was the thing that we did, the line I have to tell you. So I did read a few things about facts behind this movie Yanada YadA, which there's not a lot but outside of like, yes, this is actually based on her family, Verdalas actually would write things down that her mom would say to put into the movie. That whole bit about her being the lamb in the kitchen and the tiger in the bedroom was a line that her mother had said to her. She was like, I vomited a little bit in my mouth, and then I wrote it down, like that's her quote to that, and then apparently that's the bit because I had laughed. Because Aunt Vula, who was played by Andrea Martin, who is an icon in herself and most of the roles that she's ever played. She uh is Maria's sister, but her light about the lump on her back is actually true. Like her aunt, her in real life has this lump on her back but has her twin in it.
Speaker 3: Wow, that was pretty intense. I wasn't expecting that. I have to say.
Speaker 2: It was so classic, like she's like, Okay, you're a family, let me tell you this family secret, and then being of course, like not being not white people from America be like what is happening? What is happening? Like they are telling everything and sharing all the things, very like homie and like this is tradition and we're so proud. And then the white people were like, we don't have traditions. This is odd. Like they got like hammered, they got real hammered, they got real hammered. Like those scenes actually made me dizzy. I could like I can't watch the scene when they would like be like spinning, I was like yeah. But like also the fact that you know, she was like, oh you're Greek, you had a secretary That was like and then going through every other like ethnicity but realizing as like I think she said that either being Guatemalan or something, You're like, what the I understood that bit by the way, I understood that bit. But having all of that was super fun to see, like come back to and talk about it, and then like it holds pretty true to what I remember. There's nothing on here that was shocking. I can't like I was remembering, like, yeah, it's offensive because even then you're like, come and all the purpose of us have children. Of course, like we know that that's a stereotype with a lot of cultures, even my uncle, like my family, but like the level of the stereotype was so heightened. But you know, when it comes to ethnicities and being very proud of your culture, that's that whole different level. A lot of South Korean families are very much like that as well, So I'm like, but of course, being adopted, I don't know those traditions. But again, there's not the other that was like really out of like the realm of like, oh my god, this is so badly offensive that I was like, Okay, all right, is it It's still holds. It still holds as a movie that I'm like, you should watch this and also realize how ridiculous it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny because I I've never seen it, but I do remember when it came out because it was very popular, and I think I think that was at the time when I would watch like Entertainment Tonight or whatever, so I like knew about it, but for some reason in my mind, I thought it was going to be This sounds terrible, but its actually probably says something about the time. I thought it was gonna be about her losing a lot of weight so she could fit in her wedding dress.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah, and then they were gonna go to Greece.
Speaker 1: Like I had this idea of what it was, and she'd meet this guy and then so elements of that were there, and like the like she got rid of for glasses you said, did her hair differently, But it was just funny to me that I don't know where that came from.
Speaker 2: I think it has happened. I think it does happened later stuff like that. I did see an article talking about the thinning of and I don't know who they're I didn't read the article. I just saw the title, so I can't absolutely verify that. But there's that conversation and they do eventually go to Greece, so you're not off. It's just not this one.
Speaker 3: I got it all mixed up.
Speaker 1: It's been fair, but I mean I also think like it was funny to watch because it did have some things that I was like, I wouldn't say shocked vibe.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, you're just gonna say that about.
Speaker 1: Like the gender roles, which on I will talk about, but I do think, like it is true a lot of us have experienced that, maybe not to that extent, maybe not with the cultural level perhaps, but like that kind of what are you doing with your life, like get married, go do this? So it was interesting to kind of see the they just came out and said it.
Speaker 2: Okay, they just I mean again, she says, this is what she heard from her mother, so she just wrote it all down. So essentially yeah, no, and then like the background and we're gonna talk about that the mom has of being there during war times and how how much they struggled and really wanted to be different for their family, which was like a beautiful reminder. Even though it's a very lighthearted movie, it's come of like that there's a lot of history there that we haven't dealt into. And I don't know much about the history myself, and but like having that understanding they've been through some things, the parents have. But yeah, let's get into the themes. I guess we're probably gonna touch on all of that, which includes of course family. I think family would be the number one outside of like finding your love, but family is the top theme here, and of course traditional roles is a big plot to this, which is she's trying to break away from but she still is a part of.
Speaker 1: Right because if you haven't watched it, it starts with her working at their family's restaurant, yes, and getting these comments all the time.
Speaker 3: Like you look old, like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: And then she feels this responsibility to stay there, and that's sort of when the as you called it, the grift comes in of her being able to convince the father to go learn about the computer and get a different job. But yeah, I mean that's definitely throughout the movie we see that as her struggling with well, my family, family is so important to me, My family is so big, like my family want to prove you. It's always there of this like idea of she doesn't want to hurt her family and how does that work?
Speaker 3: How do you make that work out?
Speaker 2: Right? And then obviously you have the mom talking to her about how to be a good wife and taking care of everyone, because that's what she does in itself. Even though she understands that, she also says to uh Dola that you know, that's my side, that adventure side. You want to see things, you want to learn things, that's my side, you know. So she understands that, but she still plays her role as the matriarch, the mom and being still very supportive of her daughter. So that was lovely to see as well. Of course, we have that hole in that traditional roles is the head of the household comment, which that is big in Western culture. Obviously, when we talked about Christian trauma, Christian related trauma, and religious trauma in itself, that was one of the biggest points of why it has to be structured this way. Is the head of the household, so it's not unusual and it is not an unfamiliar to topic. Of course, they do again make it a comedy by making sure you understand that he thinks he's running things, but in actuality he's not, which is a very big trope for almost all American sitcoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, behind every great man, there's a great woman. There's a quote you used to.
Speaker 2: Do, right, Oh, yeah, there is that quote. What we're talking about where the girl I said in our social work class. She would use the line men as the head, but the women are the next, and turn it whichever the way they please. Like that's she would say that, And I don't even know what reference, but she would say that often, Like of course, with social work we would talk about different cultures and ethnicities and why it's important to like understand and like abide by that a little bit. But like she would say that quote a lot. I don't know why that stands out for me, but like my other friend would also say, this quote to a lodge is a funny line because none of us were dating any boys at the time, but I don't know, they came out a lot. Yeah, they use that.
Speaker 3: I do like the I would say.
Speaker 1: The women of Vula's family, like her aunt and her mom, often might like not agree with her, but then they'd listen to her and they'd be like, okay, we'll help you give you need, like they were on her side, even if at first they were like wait, I don't know, confused.
Speaker 2: And it didn't take the mother oftentimes to be the one to talk reason to the husband for him to understand or even at least accept, Yeah, things that she wanted and then yeah, compromising for family. I think I would put religion as a part of that. Because we did. We had this whole moment of like, wow, he converted from being I think he said that he was Presbyterian to being Greek Orthodox, which is a commitment, as we could see on the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was like, you know, I don't think I knew that. I don't think I do it. Maybe I've never met the right person.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not something that you actually believe. I don't know that's something that you would want to do. But again, for them, this was more like tradition than anything else for him, and he wanted to respect that, even though it was really disrespectful to the father when they originally met, Like that whole point of them meeting was so tense, and I was like, I don't know, even though I know he's not wrong, but him being so disrespectful was like But at the same time, they're thirty. He's like mid thirties and she's thirty, So I was kind of like, Eh, okay, I get it, but h yeah, don't hurt doctor or dad like that. That's awkward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll talk about that more later. But like it was because it was sort of implied. There were so many moments in this where Vulah would be like, it's just not going to work out.
Speaker 3: I don't see why.
Speaker 1: My family, well he would say I don't see why, and she'd be like my family, like that's got to be a Greek man, and so he they're like, okay, well i'll do this. I'll convert. Because they wanted to get married married in the church. It just I guess, to me, that seems like such a big thing, so I get it. But it also was like that's a lot. Yeah, yeah, that's a lot for sure.
Speaker 2: But with that is the family expectations that we were talking about, because not only did Doula have to do deal with it herself because she wasn't expected to go to get an education, that he didn't want her to have an education because what if she does something like, you know, carry drugs for somebody, which was ridiculous, like everybody like what what? But then we do have parents who do like go off the deep end about what's going to happen. My parents. I was afraid of what I was going to become, and it kind of happened. So there they I became a flaming liberal. Oh no, but like that kind of level as well. But also the brother had that deal of the expectations, not necessarily like the gender roles. But he loved being an artist. He did this whole sketch and it was really beautiful for a new menu, and his dad was completely dismissive, and so he was quickly shut down and ran away until Tula, who had the courage to do something different, and so he felt the courage, which still did not like the So at the end of this comment like that the wedding is happening, he decides that he's going to be a painter. And he tells his oldest sister, who has done everything to the tea as the parents would expect. He even had like four rowdy boys all the things, and she he was like, I'm gonna be a painter, and she was like, great, you can start by painting my fence. Like that level of condescension. So you're like, well, there that is.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, I mean it was. His relationship with Tula was very sweet. He was very protective. This is a common show I'm sure in rom comms. Was definitely in fan fiction. If like the shovel talk, the threats of murder. There was a lot of that going on, like if you hurt her, I'll kill you. I'm kidding, but I will kill you. It's a joke.
Speaker 2: It was very mob like.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: I was like, I guess, greasily, I guess they're not too far.
Speaker 3: Well in the tradition, say.
Speaker 1: In that particular case, went along with them much more. I would have been much angry when they tricked me to say something that wasn't Yeah, so they do do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They tricked him because he's trying to learn a little bit of Greek, because he wants to be part of his family very so they tried to get him to give him comments like some some phrases, and it ended up being like, uh, yeah, I have three testicles and Greek and everybody laughs at him, you know, like a few of those. That happened a few times. But same time, you think he would learn his lesson. Don't trust the brother in law.
Speaker 3: Well, they then they brought in the other Joey Faton.
Speaker 2: Joey Fatone. Yes, I did forget Joey Fatones first. I don't know it's not the only one. Because I'm believe he was in the sequels too. He was featured in this. It was quite a delight.
Speaker 3: Well, he was also messing with me, Yes.
Speaker 2: As they should, Yes as they should, but odd as they expected.
Speaker 3: Rather Yeah, but that's how he got tricked the second time.
Speaker 2: Yes he did. But I will say too because I don't really mention. We didn't really mention before about the family Ian Miller's family, the Miller family, Rodney and Harriet, or as the invitation puts, Rodney and Harry, who was being completely sidelined by the Greek family. Again, that could have been problems. And they are very like odd coupling, like they don't know what to do with each other. You do obviously get the ideal that the Miller family are a little bit snobbish, very white and well to do. They had the expectations that Ian would be a lawyer, but he ended up being a teacher and they were not too happy. But obviously he is very independent so does not care for the pinions of his family and pretty keeps it pretty succinct in their relationships like, nah, we're good, this is what's happening. Enjoy It almost gets to the point though it does look like he enjoys torturing his parents a little bit by bringing him like it wasn't his fault. The gathering, the first family gathering because it was intended to be the small parents only, and then the Portacalas decided to bring the family, which includes all the cousins, and she has like thirty something cousins and then their family, so they all came through, so not complete, but he was enjoying watching them spiral and being uncomfortable, so it seemed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, and they were just very awkward.
Speaker 1: They were very quiet, and I mean to their credit, if I had showed up at something I thought was going to be small and then it was this, I probably would have been a little And that's when they got drunk, because if they kept being like have.
Speaker 3: Some ouzoh cheers more and more and more. But then you also pointed out like when the wedding actually does happen, you have like her side of the aisle packed out, and yeah, I inside it.
Speaker 2: Is quite fri Yeah what he talks about he has two cousins or something, three cousins. It's like, okay, well let me tell you. But yeah, but they do finally come in and they get to be a part of the family and they start enjoying the festivities going on, the jokes, the fact that he calls her Harry because it's all the invitation. It's quite cute, and they all are family quote unquote, So hopefully we see that throughout. But yeah, it was obviously a very difference in the two families and what they look like and how they came together. Oh other fun fact, the ball dude that plays Ian Miller's best friend her real life husband. Oh yeah, I do that. I found that out a long tomic. I was like, what, which I found funny? But yeah, but her choice for the male lead was always going to be John Corpett, like she always thought of him as the main But moving on to the gender roles obviously is a part of the theme. Yes, women get married, have children and feed everyone, and that's kind of how they keep it as is the entirety of even though again, yes, Doulah does break that a little bit by marry a non Greek man as well as I only having one child I believe, instead of ten children. I don't know if she had. I don't think she has any more in the sequels. Someone who's seen this you need to let me know because I don't want to look it up. But and then she keeps, you know, telling her. At the end credit we see her telling the daughter, yes, you have to go to Greek school, which was one of the big things that growing up from in Greek school and learning Greek was important. And then her saying, but you can marry whoever you want. I'm like, is that the reward?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, but again it does They do seem to want to break it, but they don't truly break that, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is still very like get married, which is perhaps to tell a child, but we all heard it growing up. Yeah, it was just funny watching it because we were talking about like, yeah, no, marriage was right, We're good. So it was interesting to watch, which are a lot of wrongcoms are so it's not unique, but like the focus on getting.
Speaker 2: Married, yes, and that was the entire ye of thing, I will say. And this, of course, you also have the moments with the family where they're complaining, like he literally brings his brother in law and or sister in law and brother in law come into the restaurant so they can have a conference about why Doula is not married and what they need to do because they were going to send her to Greece so she can find a Greek man. And they're like, she doesn't want to go, and the responses she don't want to go, and then like they go back and forth about that and they're like, she'll be okay, and they look at her and she's in her quote unquote frump girl era as she puts it, just you know, glasses and sweaters. How dare you? They're like, but you know, the very good news is she'll always be around to take care of you, you know, all these things. And then her brother Nicko, because they're all nick and Nicholas, nick everything. One of them, quite funny, comes to sit down. He's like, and I'll get married soon, pops. And he's like, oh, you have plenty of time and gives him a kiss and that's kind of that level of like he's only a few years younger than her, but there's no expectation for a man because he can have children whenever essentially, so he's fine, you know beyond go out there have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the family like conference thing was interesting and they i mean they say it within earshot of her face.
Speaker 2: She can hear everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do think it's funny too that this had so many of the like you know, her front era and then she changes, uh, like to look better to go like I told you, like if you play some harror music behind this, this becomes a stalker movie because she like hears he's a teacher and then decides to go to school. But I thought she was gonna try to take his class, but she didn't do that. She going to but okay, but then he sees her through the window and gets beat up by an old lady and she's very like It has a lot of those like.
Speaker 3: Very rom comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trups, Yes, I have a bit of them, like oh the accident. She's so goofy that she goes to get him a pamphlet and gets shrun back by her headset which is hooked to her computer. Quite funny her phone rather And then we also had the cousins. I thought this was a funny take the cousins Nikki and Angelo, who is the kids of Aunt Vula, coming in and they're arguing about who's having to do what and who does more work, and you know Joey Fatone plane Angelo is like, your hair looks flat today, and she's like, bite me. In the day. She hits him and then he whinds and I'm like, ma, She's like, oh, my baby. Essentially, she goes be a lady to Nicki and I was like what, they're just like fighting, and then she takes up for the young man, which is like, yeah, I feel like that is very specific to a lot of I don't think it happened to my family, but I do feel like my youngest brother, who was still a little bit older than me, got a baby like he was the baby, even to the point that my older siblings called him the baby because like it didn't matter that I existed, he was the baby because it was the youngest boy compared to me. I felt that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure, and that kind of like pressure for women to be like more sure. It was also funny because Nikki was the one who showed up and told to like, we've been seeing you making out.
Speaker 3: I got back to Meat and then to her and then to her.
Speaker 1: Now everybody knows you kind of gossiping between family, right right.
Speaker 2: She's like, they got you, hello, mister pottery class, which was the lie she gave when she would go on days. And then she was also the one that took over the wedding. So speaking of I think the wedding traditions and the wedding in itself was a big theme because it was the giant uh climax of the movie. Essentially, we have the Yettie dress as she's like I'm a snow monster. At the end, we have the pimple scene. Of course you have to have like the pimple scene, but this only accentuated the windex which is the father's solution to everything, which I believe was based on her father for real, for real. Uh yeah, that's about right. Then we have the fact that the whole wedding is taken over by family. Her cousin Nikki is the one that picked out the dress, her sister is the one that made the invitations against her will essentially and bothable the dress was bought by her also her family. None of this, none of this was her plan, but she went along with it. And then the whole like women getting her ready having the conversation again. This is where that line of like women in the bedrooms, lambs in the kitchen, and tigers in the bedrooms came in, and then we have like all of the cousins coming in doing the different makeup, the shoes, that whole like moment. And then when the wedding happens, the spitting on the bride, which is like Miller family, was like, what the to be fair? Because I don't know about this tradition either. I would have been shocked to. I was like, didn't mad at her? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Apparently it was to keep the devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something about keep away though evil or something, and it's maybe. And again I think like this is very very Greek, and if we have any Greek listeners, please let us know what types of traditions truly still exists and if this exists still in like because I find that fascinating anyway, but I found it interesting. Part of the wedding tradition was also meeting of the families, and we already kind of talked about them sharing secrets with each other. The bunt cake, which was also a line that we love to do bunt cake and then filling the hole with a potted flower still one of my favorite moments. I'm like, that's about right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that.
Speaker 1: Because in my fan fiction, those were the two I remembered that very well. Was the cake as a hole in it. They didn't understand this bunt cake. And then the vegetarian scene where Ian is it's revealed he used vegetarian and to those families.
Speaker 2: Like and Vula is especially upset, and Ula is like, no meat again. She is the like the comedic relief in the entirety of the film, honestly, but she's like, no meats. No, and she's like obviously trying to figure this out, getting kind of upset. And then he was like, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay. I'll make liamb look. It is one of the big trips. It is very cute. The whole level of also him being the only child. We don't really see it, but the cousins are actually really shocked and a little bit of Paul that he's an only child, because they were like, does he have brothers to be set up right? And then when she says that, she's like, we're like what what the only child again? A part of that of moment. And then I thought it was interesting because of the wedding traditions. It happened when talked about it with the dating, but like also asking for hand in marriage. I don't know if that happens, but I'm assuming if he was upset about her dating without permission, that he would also need permission. Oh, he does complain about that. He does complain about that, in which she's in the living room hearing, and that's when she's like, maybe we shouldn't get married, or maybe we should run away. Is because he is loudly complaining. The father is loudly complaining that not only did he date her without permission, he's not asked him for her hand in marriage, has not talked to them at all. And then he's like, you know, I don't know anything about his family. This is not good. Essentially, they're all very upset by what is happening and how modern and somewhat western. This relationship was American Western relationship. It was, so it is interesting to see that as well, and obviously a big theme of something that he has to get past poor Costos. Yes, get past that.
Speaker 3: Yes, the father, Yeah, yeah, we talked about that.
Speaker 1: Uh, my dad did this. He asked my mom's family for permission. It's when he would tell the story later to me, it sounded strange to me. As a kid, and he so he was so scared. Apparently he like gestured with his hands very like exuberantly, and he got his like hand something from his like clothing stuck in the fan and it spun around and it caused chaos.
Speaker 2: So that's a that's a rom com scene right there. That'd be so and it somehow like smacks the dad in the head and hairs a tupe and it flies off, that would be the scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then he was he said like the My mom's mom was immediately like yes, but he was. Her dad was like, I don't know about you and he, my dad, They are definitely from very different circumstances. She was pretty well off and he was not. I don't know if that was at play, but I just know, like I always thought that. When you tell me that, I was like, say, yeah, I had to ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't think it was strange to me because again, I was raised in a very southern traditional home and it just sounded sweet, like it sounded romantic. I love my father, my adoptive father, my father, so very very much. He is someone who and I are like psychologically and emotionally similar when it comes to being very analytical, being a romantic without being too romantic type of thing. We have very sentimental ideals about things, and it's hard for us to let go let go of some of those sentimental things. So and he's also a very kind, kind man, and like, I couldn't imagine him not approving of who I was with, even if it went against his beliefs. I don't think he could ever say it out loud, and I don't think he would ever push back. I think he would have to rethink some things. But the ideal that he would say you can't come here, you're not welcome here, or any of that seems impossible to me. Again, that's not necessarily true. I could be completely over positive about this, like over more hopeful than I should be, but like even still, like when he didn't know if I was heterosexual or homosexual, like he kept it kind of loose, Like there was a moment I think he thought I had a girlfriend, but he still asked me about her, and so I'm like, you know, that makes me think, And he did admit later he's like, I wasn't for sure, but I didn't want to ask. I was gonna wait till you told me. Type of thing. And she wasn't a girlfriend. She was just a good friend of mine. But like I wasn't dating anyone, and the only people are talking about with my close girlfriends. And he was just like, and you're, you know, late twenties, early thirties, still single. They they get concerned, which is ridiculous, which is the trope in itself as a player in this movie, because she was a thirtieth single and they're like, you're get old, you need to get married. But yeah, so like all of those things. But because of that type of man, I would think that it could be sweet that my father would have a relationship with my partner that that well, that they would talk about it first. But at the same time, it is really odd to ask permission for me Like that's because I think my dad would be like he would be honored by that, like that he would find that I was like, yes, that's this is very nice. But I think he also made up with like if Samantha wants to you better ask. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that the thing is it could be it can be very sweet, as you're saying, it can be more of a kind of like they're not going to tell you no, right, but it's like just a nice gesture. Yeah, I think some for for me at least, it can be hard to just so much of our our western marriage culture is very right, like the basically you're asking for the man, the husband, the father.
Speaker 3: For the woman that you can marry as man.
Speaker 2: Like, it's just it's a transfer of ownership the original intent as we know this, and there's this level of like there was a bargaining about like what can I pay or what can you pay me to take your daughter? Or what can I pay you to have your daughter? And we know that, so that's definitely a thing. When it became romanticized, it's like, oh, right, that could be sweet, but there's that level and then like I've had you know, family members who's X now X did that and they were like, oh, this is so sweet, and like that didn't end up very well, did he? No? And he had promised to take care of him for you like it Like it's a good in theory in some ways, but yeah, it's also a reminder of like I can also understand why this could be offensive for some women. You're like, hell, no, he doesn't know me. And we also know like a lot of parents and are not the best parents, and things happen, and to involve them at all and feel like they have to have some say so it's more offensive. So mm hmm. There's a level of course, this is not what's happening here. We know this, But I do think Doula probably also things in her mind, I don't want I want this to be because I want y'all to be happy. Yeah, but it's not something that was necessary for her. Ad meant anything sentimentally to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I do think that's a good point you brought up, Like, because there's a whole scene where she gets done with the wedding and they're her and Ian are in the car going to the reception and she like takes off the makeup and she takes off the veil.
Speaker 3: That her family put on her.
Speaker 1: Like, so the wedding was much more for her family, and it was for her as well, but it was much more of like, this is for the family. But then they had that moment of like I'm going to take some of this off, yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: She says do we have to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, having a great time, but it did feel sort of a like, Okay, this is more for me now. Yeah, And I also wanted to bring up because one of the most funny, bizarre things you said to me was when he asked Ian asked her to marry him. They had just had sex, and you had a funny ane ghost.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So again, this is one of those moments of like we are an our romantic era in college, thinking that I would be someone's wife, have children. I hope that I could have children, because honestly, that was always in the back of my head, like that might not be possible for me, as well as the fact that I would be the perfect Christian wife, which is kind of that same layer being the perfect Greek wife. And then that whole like moment of like, oh, we're gonna have the family thing and yes, I see this and the father being a part of this. But my friend and I, the same one that we would quote these things to each other, laughed and was like, oh my god. So he comes out of nowhere and proposes. You know, it has that ring underneath the bed, which by the way, is still a hold. Everything's like, why do you have it underneath the bed? A weird setup, but like that was just like the first thing I had thought but it becomes I'm like, can you imagine, so this is the friend and I talking. Can you imagine if like when your children ask you, oh, tell us how you got engaged, and you have to be like, yeah, so we had sex and then he just blopped out a ring from under the bed and said, marry me, love you.
Speaker 3: Just like the level of like.
Speaker 2: The shame of having to try to hide that, I'm like, oh my god, what the hell was I thinking that this was a problem instead of just being like, oh, howcky you there's they're you know, so intimated, so close, which should be celebrated that they're that close that they know how much they love each other after such an intimate moment. But in my head, I was like sex bad, Oh my god, kind of me before marriage. Oh my god. So yeah, that was something that's always sticked in my in my mind after the fact, now that I'm here and I'm like I want to get married. Yeah, we're fine, we're good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was something that I thought was hilarious and I will never like, it will just be there. It's part of my shame of like, yeah, I'm glad I've grown up a little bit, you.
Speaker 3: Know, we all we had those things.
Speaker 1: I mean even I was like, wow, he's doing it right now, you know a lot.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing is like there's also this level of expectation and TikTok oh. It's been quite funny to watch on like the videos and the amount of things that people will do and how wild a proposal can get. That I'm like, you know, this is one of those things where she's like absolutely in the adulthood of like, yes, I get to get married. I get to be with the person I love for the rest of my life type of moment instead of being like, what the hell, I'm not even dressed, bro, and you're asking me to marry you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, there's something very nice about it because it was just like a moment that they shared and they were happy together, and they were she was very very.
Speaker 3: Happy to say yes, Like it was like I didn't have that pressure on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think I'm a big person who's like you talk about whoever you're with about it. It doesn't have to be like you're ruining the surprise. But I once had a conversation I think it was three guys and me, and I was saying like, I don't this was you know, I'm not going to get married, but I was like I would hate a big, extravagant public proposal. And they were so like what it was funny to see because you know, men, it's not like they escape these tropes in this like socialization either, and they were all like, by god, that's what you're supposed to do us that they love. I was like, some people, yes, other people know. Other people hate that.
Speaker 2: You can ride likelihood gonna get from me, just me walking away because I don't want to be in front of everyone anyway. And then you all staring at me, and if especially the no conversation, no mention of marriage ever, and then you pop it up the rain, You're like, it's coming on. I've seen several awkward TikTok videos of dudes doing this big elaborate thing like uh like pop up dancers everywhere like flash flash mobbing and then doing that and the girl go, can we talk about this at home? Like that?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the.
Speaker 3: Thing is a lot of times it kind of feels like a trap.
Speaker 2: If you do that's that other conversation that that is actually an a beast of tactic and a trap because you want to embarrass them into saying yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's this big public thing and everybody's.
Speaker 2: Like, oh no, no, don't do it, don't do it. It's kind of like the same thing with like some of the big over the top uh gender reveals and then you don't. Apparently people who don't get the gender that they want really acting out and you're like, why are you doing this? Yeah, there's so many there's so many problems with this in general, but like, yeah, big open gender ofvills, Yeah, I want to take those through.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, talk it out, talk it out.
Speaker 2: Get out. I'll tell you though. You can see a lot of red flags from those big moments.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you'll read those signs. But dang, dang, but yeah, so my big Factork wedding. I'm so glad you have finally finally watched this during this time. What was so funny is after we streamed this, there was several you know, suggestion for you and another movie popped up that I was like, have you never seen this movie? We may have to watch this next year.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: I am having a great time. I do, like I said, I understand my fan friction better now.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was gonna say, did you go I can read it?
Speaker 1: I did, and if this was a different podcast, I would go into some thoughts about it. But I do understand it better now, and it is really really interesting because I would say in both of them, because again they are too that I've read, the big family is like really really caring and really great, and the small family is borderline abusive, which it wasn't necessarily in this at all, but like because you and I think both have hang ups about family, not saying anything, but like the big family doesn't necessarily equal like better to me, right, So it was just sort of like, huh okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Interestingly enough, my partner's family is a smaller family because they don't have like partners and they don't have children as where my family is a giant family because not only do they have partners and children, but those children schild has children as well, and then new partners have come in with their children. So yeah, big families are not necessarily better.
Speaker 3: But I do think that's what we've been taught in a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially in families who are wont to grow their population. Yeah, if that makes.
Speaker 1: Sense, Yes, yes, I mean that can look a lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm trying to think about because like obviously the Greek family, Greek babies, Greek families get bigger and bigger, you know that kind of ideas, like you extend the line, the family line, right.
Speaker 1: Because it can't be very specific to like if you're super proud of your family, family name, families can be like that. But I don't know, it was just interesting to me to read it because I've had this thought lately about my Star Wars thoughts where there is I have seen that a lot, and I'm like, that's just such a I haven't realized how big of it's true.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: It's like the big family, not even necessarily because I feel like the foun family thing has become really popular lately, but this isn't even necessarily that. So I'm like, well, I'm fan fish, this is definitely not.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I don't know, I was just interesting interest, but I did. I had fun.
Speaker 1: Watching it, Yes, and I'm looking forward to whatever You're trying to, uh cover some ground of the rom coms.
Speaker 2: I've missed, well, the class coming back to the Twilight saga, so yes, from that That's very funny to me because technically that was more my It's true, but this this old elder millennial slash the nexter. I still enjoyed a vampire movie.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, I mean mostly romance.
Speaker 1: I just missed out on a bunch of those things, but also a bunch of the like nineties classic feminist movies like yuh Fried, Green Tomatoes and Lead It their Own and Elm and Louise.
Speaker 3: So you're helping me out.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got this, We got this together.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do, we do well. I look forward to it. But in the meantime, listeners, if you have any thoughts about this, please let us know. You can email us a Stephanie and mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never told you. We have a tea public store, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 1: Steffone Ever Told You is production of iHeartRadio for More podcast from My Heart Radio. You can check out the i Heeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or where you listen to your favorite shows.