Speaker 1: Hey, guys, what is up?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guilty of Charge Podcast presented by Any Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen, I'm the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what'supman? How are you doing today?
Speaker 3: Stoke man? We've got a great interview for you guys, probably my favorite one that we've done on this channel so far. Just a very candid, spectacular interview.
Speaker 1: That's next, Yes, it is next.
Speaker 2: We are joined by the wonderful Chris rim of ESPN. He was a late addition to the beat for the Chargers this season. We had a great time at picking his brain about, you know, adjusting from Baltimore to the Chargers and everything that kind of went through this season and his experience covering it, moving to a new team, all that good stuff. Had a great conversation with him, Hopefully you guys enjoy it. Obviously we get to, you know, cover the Chargers head coaching search as well as the GM search, and he had some great insight on both of those fronts. Tyler, did you have any takeaways without spoiling from our interview with Chris.
Speaker 3: Just the process of being a reporter and then of course weighing experience versus being a first time head coach. I think those two things I think you guys should keep a eye on when you listen to this interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely agree there. If you are a pro Harbaugh person, I think you'll be very happy with what Chris has to say as well. That being said, Tyler and I are fans with the team just like you guys are. We've been given this platform and are very grateful for it. But the opinions that we share on this platform are hours and hours alone. They do not always reflect the opinions of the Chargers organization themselves. At the end of the day, we are content creators and we create content and have a great time doing it. So, like I said, very excited for this one. The interview did go a bit longer than usual. Sometimes we go back and forth about, you know, coming doing a post takeaway, so this is just going to be the interview. So again, cannot think Chris enough for joining us, and hopefully you guys enjoy the interview, and that being said, we'll see you next week as always.
Speaker 4: Bolt up.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, very happy now to be joined by mister Chris rim of ESPN a new edition and a great addition I might add to the Chargers Beat this year. So Chris, thanks so much for taking the time to join us today. Man, how you doing good?
Speaker 4: Good? Appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're all very excited you were, like I mentioned, sincerely, a great addition to the Chargers Beat, and we've loved reading your articles and so well, we're gonna pick Chris's brain about kind of the post mortem of the twenty twenty three season. W also, you know, ask him about some of the you know, opinions of the coaching and GM searches that are going on right now. And I'm really excited to dive in here. So Chris, first and foremost, I think there's a lot of talk right now about you know, the Baltimore Ravens and pulling from the Baltimore Ravens. You obviously, you know, used to cover the Baltimore Ravens as well, So I want to ask you first and for almost what was your mindset coming from Baltimore to start covering the Chargers. How'd you kind of go about, you know the whole process of making that adjustment and what was kind of your goal?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know on the Chargers beat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think leaving Baltimore coming to the Chargers, the goal is to just you know, get through the season and get to know, you know, every player on the team, to be honest, like you know whose number, you know whatever, whatever player's number is, you know, figuring who that is because I could tell you, you know, when I left Baltimore, I could tell you you know, everybody's you know, name number, where they're from, you know. So but that was because I was there from training camp. So imagine, you know, it's week three and I don't, you know, I never I don't never really watching the Chargers. You know, I know the stars, right, but I don't know you know, the fifty third guy or you know, seventieth guys. So that was really the biggest thing is just getting through the year, writing good stuff, writing good you know stories, and yeah, that was that was really the biggest goal. And transition.
Speaker 3: How does it work for you when you're covering a team that a lot of expectations, right, I think they're going to do well, going to make the postseason, all sorts of stuff. You know, we should be watching them this week or last weekend. What's it like when that team starts to clearly not be headed in that direction, how do you manage expectations, maybe even the fans that are reading your content, how do you manage that as you start to see the charges maybe not headed towards the postseason, but you don't want to outright just say as seasons over, let's let's hang it up.
Speaker 5: It will well when when uh, when that happens, every everything gets tense, everything gets everyone. You know, maybe people who are who were nice are so nice anymore. Maybe you know the maybe a guy who always talks isn't talking anymore, you know the And then you have to have a balance between you know, what question do I want to ask that I need I need to write for my story. That's you know, my boss wants me to ask and you know, I know that this question is going to piss off the person that I'm asking it to because of how tense it is.
Speaker 4: So that's that's what it is.
Speaker 5: When the season, when the season goes downhill and you're a team that it's expected not to go downhill, and you're in year three and you know that your job is on the line, not only from coaches, but you know everyone in the organization, right, a player coach, you know, they know what's a stake, just as we know what's a stake, right, And you know you're asking a person with a family with you know, these questions that are tough, and you know from their vantage point, you know, can seem unfair at times, can you know, you know, at the at the basic level, hurts your feelings. So when things are just tense, it's just super tense. You know, it's not a it's it's it's like the you know the nature of the job though, but it's tense.
Speaker 2: I think, especially you know, coming from a place that has had the same coach for a very long time to dealing with, you know, the coach on the hot seat kind of mentality. I would imagine that would be kind of a tough adjustment as you're like, you know, you're trying to figure everything out, and then also you're like, hey, like I've got to cover a coach who might be out of a job here in a few weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you got to imagine too, Like it's the difficult part about when I came in was I came in after the Chargers had just began the season zero and two, after blowing a twenty seven point lead in the playoffs. Like there's no there's no grace period for me to get on the beat and you know, hey, you know, what.
Speaker 4: Are you guys expecting this year? You know what? You know? Like how you know what I mean? Like, there's no there's no period.
Speaker 5: For me to get on the beat and just start asking, you know, stuff to uh, you know ingratiate myself in like a comfortable way get to know people. It's just boom, you know, you guys are beating expectations. You know, so that I think that's difficult because you know, it's it's it's like, you know, who is this guy? For one, and then it's but it's also like you know, understanding that that's my job, right and you know you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: Well, Clearly, even though things were very difficult, you were able to talk to players and you're able to maintain relationships or even just keep you find a relationship with those players in a very short amount of time to the point where you're able to write. But I think was the article that I think most people will remember your season at least this season four, which is that I'm the most recent one, but the big one at the end there why a disconnected Chargers team was Brandon Staley's downfall. Walk me through the process of collecting that information, and even sort of like you've already talked about just having to be careful with asking certain questions and and you know, certain players and that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I think.
Speaker 5: Again, but things are tense when things are are going well, When the screws are getting tightened, people start talking, you know. I think the I think the key thing with that article to point out too is that it's interesting is like, you know, his his entire Brandon to tenure, right, like, and I said it at the beginning, but like they were so close to they were as close to success as they were to disaster for three years, right, I mean the third year it went off the rails. But you know how many one score I don't have the stats, but how many one score games did they lose?
Speaker 4: Right? You know? So it's like, for for all.
Speaker 5: That was reported, the disconnect, the whatever it may be, right, there's there's a lot of disc not not saying it didn't matter.
Speaker 4: Because it doesn't matter. That's why I reported it.
Speaker 5: But there are disconnected teams that win, and and this this team was close to winning, right and I think some of that disconnect could have led to while they win. And that's kind of what I was trying to point out why this season went the way it did. From you know, the they're you know, a team that's going nine and eight or you know, ten and seven to what we saw this year is five and twelve. Right, that's that doesn't make any sense. So I think for me coming into the locker room or coming into the organization, you know, it's a I think you know, I'm a younger guy a lot a lot of the people around there. You know, we listen to the same stuff. We talk the same way. You might have grown up the same way. You know, I'm from Philly. You know, if I'm from Philly and you're from Brooklyn or you're from la or Detroit, it's pretty much the same thing. So you know, we talk about the same stuff. We we you know, get along with each other.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 5: They trust me to they trust me and tell me things that I don't say, and then they give me the okay to go with things that they're comfortable with me going with. You know what I mean, so it's you know, ninety percent, you know, probably ten percent of the stuff that people ever read is like, as I say, all the stuff that people read is like ten percent of what I know. And I think that goes for like every reporter or what I have, right because again, you've got to weigh that balance of what you're doing, what bridges you're going to burn, you know, the risk and the value assess, but also if people are just comfortable saying stuff. So that's what I'll say, that story came together. Does that answers the question?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that definitely does. I think, you know, there's obviously a lot of you know, fresh feelings and fresh thoughts about the way things ended from a negativity standpoint, and obviously you know the charges are are where they are right now because of the way the season unfolded. But did you have kind of a more positive highlight of the year for you?
Speaker 1: You moved to a new city.
Speaker 2: You know, Khalil Mack, you know right away your first game has a six sac performance. Did you have a moment or a story this season that was kind of on the more positive side? You know, when you look back and reflect on the season, that you can be you know, really happy about you know, being able to have that kind of connection to the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 5: The a positive that I'll point to is at least in one story. It wasn't like a story that took me a lot of time, but I put a lot of stuff in. But the I sware a story about Gift and how you kind of went over to the locker room and like two weeks and I don't know, I don't know why I like that story so much, but I which is funny because the originally there was the wrong cover photo for the story. It was the former quarterbacks coach, so that was crazy. But I yeah, I just I think that the when Gift took over, it was like you you couldn't interview a player and ask a player about Gift and them not start smiling.
Speaker 4: Like it was the weird like it's the weirdest thing ever, Like it's not.
Speaker 5: It wasn't like, you know, there are coaches where guys dislike, and then there are coaches that guys like. But then there's like I think Gift and Ryan Ficken are the guys who if you ask a player a gift or fit, they're like smiling like it's not like they're like, Yo, that guy's a good dude. It's like like as soon as you could Drman was at the podium and he and he was talking about something. I think I think someone must have asked a question because it was the game when he played, start the entire game. So so we're asking about that, and he's obviously you know, you know, he's not smiling about answering those questions. And then the next question was about Gift and he's heir to ear like Khalo Austin like ALOHI like, you know, So I think that that story was cool to write because I was just surprised.
Speaker 4: I had never seen.
Speaker 5: People just talking about a coach like that and smiling like in the way like that people were, so they clearly liked him a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Giftsmith, I mean doing with the team through three head coaches, three different stadiums, two different cities, Been there, done that, and there's a lot of these guys. What was that period, like how did you find out obviously about the switch? And then what was that like that first twenty four or forty eight hours, like for you the Beat writers, the locker room et cetera.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, not not saying any reporting, but I think we all knew. You know, I had my story pre written, I had, you know, all this stuff ready to go. You know, I didn't I didn't know who was going to be the interim head coach. I thought it might be Thicking, but give Give surprised me, uh that he was the interim just because he wasn't something to someone I was thinking of, thinking it might be Thick or you know, maybe Kellen or something or something like that. But you know, I think, well, firstly, just the period of give, I think the the organization made the right choice. Like I think he was the right person for the moment, Like for the moment he was great, even though he didn't win. I thought that was the right person to like galvanize this group, right, Like it kind of feels like like a Friday Night Lights type of coach, like the Southern draw, like the like he was the complete opposite of his predis. Like it was like, you know, you know, you know, Brandon will give you these detailed you know, super you know, you know, you know, long winded answers, good good though, like you know, deep into football and lean into analytics, and he felt very like a like some type of twenty thirty car or something, whereas Gift is like that old nineteen fifties like he's you know, he's making Joe. He's gonna rhyme, he's gonna tell you, I don't I don't know, Like if you ask him about the medical stuff, I'm not a doctor, you know, he just he's just that kind of dude. But the twenty four hours after, I think, you know, you're trying to decide when you want to go to sleep or how you're going to go to sleep. You know, you're you have to catch a flight back to la and you know something's going to happen. So it's like the news broke and I'm my uber is coming to the hotel to pick me up, you know, and I have stuff you rent, but I still have to update some things, you know, do this and that, and editors calling me. So I think Jeff Miller was on the highway, you know, I think everybody think, you know, Pop might have been in the air. So every you know, everybody's somewhere when it's happening.
Speaker 4: But you just got to figure it out.
Speaker 5: You know, buy the plane, WI fi or you know, tell the uber my bad, I need a couple more minutes or.
Speaker 4: So. Yeah, that was that was what it was like for for twenty four.
Speaker 5: For the twenty four to forty eight, it was just trying to figure out, Yeah, it was trying to figure out where I was going to be when the news broke, trying to figure out who who else.
Speaker 4: Is going to be retained, who's going to be let go?
Speaker 5: And uh, trying to come up with candidates and figure out the next steps and put together the story I've been I've been working on.
Speaker 2: That's uh, yeah, tell the uber to wait for a minute as to run high.
Speaker 1: Shifting gears here for a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, the Chargers obviously in a GM search and a coaching search, and they're gonna have some tough decisions with the you know, the big four so to speak of of Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Keenan Out and Mike Williams.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you make of that?
Speaker 2: Because there's a lot of you know, a hell sentiments out there that the charters are are you know, just in a really you know, status of a cap sheet that is not conducive towards like hiring it a great GM candidate in the future. Is all bleak and everything like that in terms of the Big Four, like what do you make of their situations and and how would you think that the charters could kind of go forward in a positive manner with the Big Four in their contracts?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I don't know if it's I don't think it's as bad as people who describe it. Like I was in Atlanta a few years ago when when Terry and Terry Foineau and Arthur Smith took over, and that was.
Speaker 4: Like cap hell.
Speaker 5: I think they were I don't know, it had to be close to fifty million when they took it, like they like this was there. This season was their first year clearing the cap hell that they were in.
Speaker 4: That's how bad it was.
Speaker 5: And I don't I don't think this team is in that situation. I think there are clear steps that GM can take to fix the roster in a sense right to you know, get out of that cap you know how quickly, And a lot of it starts with the with the Big Four. I think the challenge again like that these are people, uh you know again like that, that's that's the first challenge, right, Like it's easy to say, like, you know, we'll just cut this person and looking at it as numbers, But I do. I do think that personnel and teams when you're when you're doing a not a rebuild at all, but you know next year is going to be a new version of the Chargers and in this GM's vision, you know, for the first time in the you know, eleven seasons, it'll be a different GM you know it's vision, and the first time in three seasons a different coaches vision. And how much of that vision you know, and instilling it and instilling the cultures that you want to build. Do you need those vets or those guys in the locker room who have been there and to to help you, you know, get what you want to get built? And so in making those decisions, I think, specifically with a guy like Keenan and you know, even Khalil, I think that's when it becomes tough with them, Uh, specifically because keene has been here forever. He knows what he's you know, Philip rivers to Herbert and he's publicly said, I don't want to go anywhere you know, he's you know, he just had the year of his career. And I think that when you have a guy that good, who's been here that long, who's saying I want to be here, you know, you you you figure out a way to make it work with a guy like that. I think Khalil, you know, the way he spoke, you know, in the end of the season pressure, it kind of sounded like he was he was leaving it up into the new GM's hand. But he was also you know, talking about I want to win a super Bowl, and you know, he kind of didn't answer the question about if he still believes he can do that here I can you know, I could see him the team, you know, wanting to send them to a you know, a team maybe in a that that they believe is better positioned to contend next year and when a super Bowl. So I could see that happening. But he's also a guy that organized team dinners that that you know, when he walks in the locker room, everybody's like, you know, this is the guy, right, Everybody respects him.
Speaker 4: He's a clear, you know, clear leader.
Speaker 5: Right talking about some of the most respected guys, I think Kalel and Keenan or you know, one and two or you know, Justin's up there too, and Durwin's up there too, But whoever you want to, you know, put in that top four, they're there. So those two I would say, you know, especially the way they played last year, you're in a unique situation.
Speaker 4: Might be able to trade whatever.
Speaker 5: I think Mike and Joey. With the injuries the past season for Joey and then this year with Mike and their and their cap hits, I think, you know, a GM will have to make a decision, you know, do you want to restructure a deal again and push money down down the road or do you want to you know, maybe you know, send these guys out. But again it's that that element that they both have been here. But that's why I see it. I think if I was I think a GM would split that group up into two.
Speaker 4: And I think it'll be some tough decisions either way.
Speaker 5: I just I just don't like the like ultimatums, like what I would do, like I would cut someone or out, you know, So that's like a running around the circle way To answer.
Speaker 3: Your question, No, that's perfect, and you've been very candid with us so far, so please don't feel like you have to share every single possible thing.
Speaker 4: It's tough, you know.
Speaker 3: And the tough part is that one you don't know when the Chargers are going to be in contention again, is it as soon as next year? If not, is it twenty twenty five? And you'll have to ask the gms that. And then with these players, you know Khalil Mack, Keenan Allen, they have career years, great years. That also means their value goes up. So if you're trying to trade this player, you know, their value goes up. So it's it's a very very tough situation. I certainly don't end me the next GM, and the Chargers are looking for a GM who's going to quote unquote reimagine what it means to be a general manager and run a team and do certain things. What do you feel that could mean or even just what do you feel the best gms are the ones that really innovate the process?
Speaker 1: What could they do?
Speaker 3: What are they looking for in these gms?
Speaker 5: Do you think, yeah, that the word reimagined was yeah, it was certainly a choice in the in the statement, and I thieve John Spinos was asked about it, and I think.
Speaker 4: He just described it as just you know, this next phase.
Speaker 5: Of the Chargers and uh, you know just a just a new a new version of the team, right, But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess, I guess in a new GM, I think what you look for.
Speaker 5: It's interesting I think with with hiring new people, because you don't you don't know who's going to be good. You know, you you can say that they are indicators from a general manager level, you know who maybe who you've scouted or who you've been around, right. I think it's a lot of that, right, Like if you're if you were within a radius of Sean McVay, like at a certain point, like you might just you might just get tapped, you know, if you're if you're you know, if you've been around Howbie Roseman, if you've been around certain certain guys, certain people, and that matters, right because you know how they think, how the organization worked, and you want to implement that winning into yours. So you know, I think they're just looking for at the you know, at the basic level, what everybody's looking for, right, Like someone who can win, right, Like someone who can I don't think there's.
Speaker 4: Like a uh.
Speaker 5: You know, Tom did a bunch of stuff wrong and we're looking for a guy that does like these things well. Right, it's just like, you know, we're just looking for the guy, right, you know, we're just looking for a guy who's gonna do it well. And I think you see the people that they're interviewing, and they're from, you know, organization of pedigree with winning, and I think that you know, that shows that you know what they're looking for.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned those previous organizations. A lot of GM candidates this here do have ties to Harry Roseman and yeah, the team you used to cover the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is.
Speaker 2: About that combination that teams could be looking for because honestly, like you pull up any bio of all these candidates and they worked for the Eagles, they worked for the Ravens. What is it about those two organizations and the way they operate that kind of cultivates this culture of building future GM candidates?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they they have a history of sticking to what worked for them. You know, you you look at the Eagles and that that's like a basically good answer. But I think you look at the Eagles, right, look at Howie Roseman's drafts, right, like he's going to draft a D lineman or he's going to draft the O lineman like nine times out of ten in the first two round, and he's not drafting a linebacker in the three rounds probably right. And if they do draft someone else, like a receiver, they're probably they might miss, you know.
Speaker 4: So so you know.
Speaker 5: You look, you look at the Eagles and how they've won. It's always at the line of scrimmage, and they've never they've never changed that for the you know since before Howie Right, it's uh, you know, there's Fletcher Cox, and then they're drafting Jordan Davis, and there's Nolan Smith, and then there's you know, Hardgrave and there's you look, back and back and back. They've always done it that way. Then with the Ravens, you know, you want these linebackers and I want a physical cornerback and I'll figure out the rest. You know that that's I think that's how they've always been. And I think some of the best organizations stick to to what's winning and what works best. And that's the simplest way to answer it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm fascinated because again new GM for the first time in a very long time, So Chargers fans sort of understood that there was a certain type maybe like receiver or at edge Ushia where that's arm length or forty or whatever it was, you know, but now it who knows, who honestly knows what's going to happen as far as switching to head coach. Now, Chargers fans are very Jim Harbaugh or bust. I don't think that is necessarily the case, but that's what Chargers fans seem to be going for. But overall, how do you feel the Chargers process has played out? Is there something you're keeping an eye on? What has been your attention? What have you been your attention been on so far throughout this whole process?
Speaker 5: Man, I think they've they've cast a super wide net, you know. I think they're interviewing a lot of good candidates, a lot of different different people. Maybe well, I guess none that I guess really didn't expect. But I guess like Legendy Fraser, you know, was a name. Maybe I didn't know if you'd get interviewed here. But yeah, I think the good part about interviewing is you can when you cast a white net and you interview all these people, you get to grab certain things from certain people, right and put it in your back pocket. You know, you get to you know, how do how does this thought process work here? Or how did guys do this there? And you know you can suggest that to your new people, right. So I think that's important. And and again I'm not big on criticizing who teams interview or who they don't interview, because I've learned and I've been wrong. And you know, my group chats with friends about some person that for some reason, I was like, Oh, that's interesting that they're interviewing this person, and then that person's a phenomenal head coach or opening day press conference, you know, whether Jonathan Gannon or.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: We've seen these opening press conferences where they look kind of wonky and.
Speaker 4: You're like.
Speaker 5: Campbell, yeah, Campbell, you know they they then they turn out to be great. So whoever the Chargers interviewed, I would have said it was good because because you can't say, at least for me, I'm never gonna be like, what has that person done to because I don't I've been wrong too many times to say that. But I think the people they've but with that being said, they've interviewed all people who I believe if they hired any of these people, I would say, okay, and I think that goes you know, down the line, and I'll say that that makes sense. And they started with the internal people, which I think is the right thing to do. And yeah, so I think they're going about.
Speaker 4: It the right way.
Speaker 2: Obviously the cycle is not over yet, but just like my perspective is that I feel like there are more interviews this time around, specifically of like the head coaching candidates. It feels like they they said they were gonna cast a why Nett and they've they've done that, and there's obviously a group of candidates that they could still interview later this week. You know, they have a point with Dan Quinn and request with Ben Johnson Orrahie Morris that are still kind of you know, waiting out there. In terms of Jim Harbaugh, what do you what do you make of his chances of leaving, because obviously the fan base is is very pro Harbor. Do you think that you know, I know, Jeremy Fowler reported today that chances are unlikely that he does return to Michigan. Are you buying that or do you think that he could be using leverage here to get a bigger payday at Michigan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I never met Jim or I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know him, but it doesn't seem like the type of person who would like waste his time or you know, like I you know, so I don't. I don't see why he would take in an interview if he did it, if he wasn't seriously considering it.
Speaker 4: Of course, you know, there's there's the other way, you know, he could be.
Speaker 5: But I don't I think this legitimate, especially this last season, right, you know, I think if you're the you know, in his position, you might feel like I need to be done with this college football thing for a little bit. And I just one so you know, it's not like I need to I have much to prove to anyone except that I.
Speaker 4: Can repeat maybe and there.
Speaker 5: This situation is a is a great one, and that's why the fans, that's why everyone has put this together and and you know, manifesting it to happen. And yeah, so I think you asked me, like, is the hardball stuff really? You know, I think I think it is for sure, and I think it makes a lot of sense. And if if if the you know John Spanos told the Beat when we talk to him, you know, we have no limitations in salary or experience. You know, he touched on that point. And the job market might change, you know, their Dallas might open. I don't know what's going on in Philly. You know, stuff might open. But even if those open, I think this is one of the better ones. So if if he wanted to come to the Chargers and the Chargers are serious about you know, not being limited to anything, then they should get them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well that'll excite fans, and hopefully it does happen for a lot of fans who are very much so all in.
Speaker 4: On this decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a great spot, honestly, And I think if you bringing Jim Harbaugh or any of these candidates for an interview, just have like a cardboard cutout of Justin Herbert standing behind you and just like, yeah, I don't know if your team can do that, but here's a cardboard cutout of Justin Herbert.
Speaker 4: It's a good pitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, absolutely, that's all you need to cut out, cardboard cut out in a blank check.
Speaker 1: That's all you need.
Speaker 3: The other debate outside of Harbor for a lot of fans has been experienced versus a first time head coach, and you know, obviously Vrabel's available, Belichick is available, but there's also Ben Johnson. For every experienced coach, like let'd say a McCarthy who did this past game, there's a there is a Dan Campbell, there's a La Floor, there's a Demico Ryans, et cetera. Where do you I don't know if it's stand on the issue is the way to say it, but what is your thoughts I guess on versus one of these first time head coaches, particularly obviously an offensive minded head coach like a Ben Johnson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it just depends on the experience. I would say it depends what your track record is. I think with with Jim or Hardball, at least you know it's you know, the guy just wins, like you know what I mean, Like like it's hard.
Speaker 4: It's hard for you to It's hard for me.
Speaker 5: I think it would be hard for anyone to say, like, you know, you know, if you hire this guy, you think you're going to win because he you know what he's done every that's all he's done as as a coach, right, and when.
Speaker 4: You're talking about a first time guy, if.
Speaker 5: You're putting up a hardball to you know, Ben Johnson or whoever you know you like, right, it's you're comparing guy who whatent forty four nineteen in the NFL, Guy who went to the Super Bowl, turned around a Niners team, guy turned around Michigan. Michigan just won the national championship. It's it's hard to turn that down to imagine what someone could do who hasn't done it in my in my eyes, And I don't I don't know if that's right or wrong, right, because you know, uh, Ben Johnson could be I don't know, you know, Ben Sombardi or somethwhere Don Shuley, right, Uh, he just needs a chance. But this guy already had one and he's killed it everywhere. So I think I'm of thee of the view vantage point of I don't think you could say a blanket experience is over a new coach. But when you're talking about experience, at least in Hardball's case, I'll take it. I think, uh, you know, for different coaches like McCarthy, I think that's a different, different thing, right, Like his experience it's been you know, he's fluctuated from bad to good. It's been a lot of inconsistencies. You know, in that scenario, I might go with a younger coach, but so so I don't, I don't know, I don't. I don't think it's a blanket statement of like automatically you go young or automatically you go experience.
Speaker 1: I think that's a totally fair assessment there. You know, we we've had a lot.
Speaker 2: Of conversations about you know, kind of maybe balancing like the new, the next thing versus the thing that you know, and I think that could apply to you know, the GM search, the head coaching search. But either way, we're excited to see. Obviously what comes should be an exciting you know, next week or so for the Chargers, and we're thrilled to you know, read how you cover this approach. So, Chris, thanks so much for joining us today. Where can Chargers fans go and find you? And maybe a sneak peak of some upcoming stories that you might have.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm on Twitter at Chris room one, k R I s orr A, try m one and threads if you're on there, Chris rim trying to get my threads up a lot of followers on there, so.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's me and moving forward.
Speaker 5: You know, I was working on this thing about justin how you're grown as leader this year, and then he got hurt. So at some point I think I'll have that coming. And then I got some other stuff that they can I don't want to say, but yeah, we got some stuff coming.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see it again. Thank you so much for Janis joining us today. Charge fans cannot recommend Chris's work enough. Please go follow him, show him some love. He's been a great addition to the Beat and we are very excited to visit with him later on. So Chris, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: A man.
Speaker 4: We'll talk to you soon, Okay, thank you,