Speaker 1: Wake that answer up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club Morning, everybody is DJ Envy, Charlomagne the guy.
Speaker 3: We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest joining us this morning. We got Peers Morgan. Welcome, Thank you. How are you doing this morning.
Speaker 4: It's good to be here. I'm a little bit apprehensive because I messaged my sons to tell me the big news I was coming on, and well, my middle boy is a big fan of the show, and he said that you gotta be carefully. He said, Charlemagne is a bit of a menace. And I went and then I didn't reply, and he then paused and then replied again, actually so used so she could be fining. You shouldn't reply.
Speaker 1: You got to be friends, should reply back.
Speaker 5: Do you know who your father is? You know what I wanted to always ask you know, and reference to that I heard you say once you were hired to be controversial when you got the gig at ITV. So is my question is Peers Morgan actually controversial or is it just performative?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't wake up in the morning and start screaming at my family about the state of my my marmte on toast, but I am, by nature very opinionated. I've encouraged my four kids, who range from twelve to thirty, to have opinions about everything. I'ither if you don't have opinions, you have a lazy mind. I always believe the things I say at the time I say them. I'm happy to change my view if somebody gives me a compelling argument for why I'm wrong. I have no problem saying, you know what, you have a point, I'm changing my perspective. But yeah, look, am I controversial? I often take issue with that because I don't actually think my views of that controversial. I actually think that they're controversial if you only judge my opinions by what Twitter now x says. But then eighty percent of the public are not on twitter x. Eighty percent of the public aren't on social media at all. And when I walk around the streets, whether it's in New York or LA or it's London or wherever it may be, Sidney, Australia, I get a very different reaction to the one that I get on on the social media platforms where people go everything you say is outrageous. Well, actually it's not. I think I have reasonably popular views which a lot of people subscribe to. I don't I think a bit like you. I don't know your politics, but I think like you. I don't identify as as left or right. I think I'd like to go after everybody, examine their opinions, challenge them, and I think that's the way you should be if you're in our game. So I don't like to be identified into a box about anything so that I look am I controversial? I say things forcefully. I expressed my opinions forcefully. I don't think that's controversial.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 2: For people that don't know who Peers Morgan is and how you got into this is there anybody.
Speaker 3: And then you know, don't.
Speaker 2: Know how you got into this entertainment world? Break down, how you got into this world, how you started off at the sun, and what made you follow this path?
Speaker 4: Well, I was from the very early age, like six or seven. My mum remembers me reading newspapers avidly, and in Britain, the national newspaper culture is very big. We have about thirteen national newspapers, very unusual. Obviously we're a very small island by comparison to the United States, but it means that the national papers have a very large influence over the thinking of the people, and we have a wide range of papers, left wing, right wing, centrist is something for everybody. But I used to read the papers avidly when I was six or seven and read out stories to it, so I had this thing in my blood. Had a few journalists in the family. I just wanted to be a journalist, and I ended up going to journalism college, ended up going on local newspapers doing all the flower shows, the weddings, you know, all the boring stuff but important because it teaches you the craft of reporting. And then I got onto The Sun, which was at the time the biggest selling tabloid newspaper in Britain. In fact, I think it was in the world at the time, and I very quickly became the show business editor, doing a column called Bizarre, which basically did what it said on the tin. It covered the bizarre world of entertainment. It was a great gig. It was a time when newspapers sold huge amounts. My son sold over four million copies a day and was read by about eleven to twelve million, so huge audience. And my job was to go around the world in very nice conditions and interview the world's most famous people and to cover what they got up to. And I really enjoyed it. Did it for five years, and then Rupert Murdoch, who owned The Sun, he flew me to a beach in Miami. I walked along the beach with him for three hours. I had no idea what I was doing there. I was twenty seven years old. And the consequence of that long walk along the beach was he made me editor of the News of the World, which was his biggest selling newspaper in the world. It was the biggest sitting newspaper berl It's closed.
Speaker 1: Now And.
Speaker 4: I took on this extraordinary job at a ridiculously young age and we year with it. It was nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: That was the way before FI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So my whole trajectory from my youth on was was to become a national newspaper journalist. And I became an editor of the biggest setting papers in the country at a very I was the youngest editor ever of a paper there. I then moved to the Daily Mirror, which was a slightly left to center newspaper News of the World with slightly writer's center. So going back to what I said earlier, I can. I never park myself into either box really politically, and I did that for nearly ten years competing against Rupert Murdock. So I had the benefit of working for a man I considered to be a genius when it comes to the media, and then competing against him. And I have to say it was more fun competing against him because we were the underdogs. We had less money, less staff, less resource. I found that a brilliant challenge and then I got fired. It was a huge scandal in the UK. The Iraq War was raging. I had taken the papers position as anti war very aggressively. Tony Blair was the Prime Minister in the UK and we were the labor supporting newspaper historically, but I went against him on the war, and I think I've been vindicated by subsequent events. I felt was an illegal conflict. What complicated it more for me was my own brother, who was an army officer in the Royal Regiment of Wales, actually went on the front line in Basra in Iraq at the same time that I was opposing the war. So for my family it was a very complex situation. As you can imagine, but I got fired because we got some pictures. You may remember the Abu Grabe pictures which came out of American troops abusing Iraqi civilians. They were horrific and we were passed some pictures not as bad, but they were pretty awful, and we published them and it was said they were faked. I've never been fully i think, confident of exactly what they were. The story that they depicted was never denied, is accepted as being true. It was British troops abusing Iraqis civilians.
Speaker 1: And they retracted it all right.
Speaker 4: The paper fired me and then said sorry, but I didn't say sorry, and I haven't attracted it. And I the more I've gleaned over the next twenty years twenty years incredible. Since it happened, I've been told by many people in the army that actually they might well have depicted, not just depicted, a genuine incident, but the pictures themselves may not have been what people were led to believe. So I was thrown into the wilderness. My dream was over of being a newspaper journalist. I was thirty eight. I became the youngest editor to be appointed and the youngest to be fired. It was a nice little win win at both ends of that career. And then I had lunch with a guy called Simon cow Wow, who's been an old friend of mine back when no one knew who he was. He was a record plugger. He used to plug some terrible records and I used to help him promote them.
Speaker 3: Some of the plugger is like a record promoter here and.
Speaker 4: Record promotes, and you know, he was an R guy basically for a record company. His job was to get publicity and stuff behind the records of the company, and I would help him do that with my column. So we'd established a little relationship which worked for me. He'd give me interviews with his guys and so on. And Simon Carr took me for lunch and he went, what are you gonna do? I said, I have absolutely no idea. We were at the Belvedere in Kensington and London, lovely restaurant. He went, we said, He said, look, I'm thinking about bringing back a talent show. I went, okay, I said, what do you mean. He said, well, you remember the old Gong show in America. He said, there's nothing like it on TV anymore. There's Idol, which is a singing show, and he was the biggest TV star in the world at the time. On Idol, he said, but there's nothing that's like all round entertainment. Any talent will do. And he said, I'm going to I'm going to try and do this, so long story short, he mapped out on a little handkerchief in the restaurant. He mapped out what you'd have. You'd have like a mother hen judge, you'd have a controversial judge, you'd have a straight down middle charge, you'd have a good host and they could do any talent. And we then was interesting story behind it because we then did a pilot for that which was called paul O'Grady's Got Talent. You probably don't know who he was. He died sadly recently, but he was a huge TV star in the UK, very popular, and the pilot was brilliant and ITV the network loved it. It was just going to be my big comeback. I was frilled primetime television. It's amazing as a talent show judge. And then Paula Grady fell out with ITV hurled abuse out them, defected to the Rivals and the show got put on the back burner, and I was completely disconsolate. Theyka, what am I gonna do now? And then I'll never forget. I got a text from Cowl about two months later, maybe even earlier, saying I've sold the rights to Got Talent to NBC in America and they want to repackage it as America's Got Talent and I can't be on it because of Idol. And I was trying to think, who do I know who's as annoying, egotistical, a in jectionable and judgmental as me? And your name has immediately sprung to my and I was flown to It was a crazy period in my life. I was flown to La Simon picked me up and he's Bentley at the airport. The next day, I met with two NBC executives who'd never heard of me. I had to sell myself, it said, just bullshit them like you normally would, which I did obviously quite as successfully, because the next thing is two weeks later, I'm on the Paramount movie lot with the famous Melrose Gates in La in a trailer next to David Hasselhoff with Regis Philbin down the alley, and I'm in this show America's got talent now. He said to me, cal don't get too excited because most shows open and bomb, right, So you got a kind of three and thirty chance, all right, that's it. The rest just get tanked. So just enjoy it, have fun. And he said, and be right with your judgments eighty percent of a time. If you do that, it can be as mean as you want. But if you're wrong and the public at home don't agree with you, the mean act doesn't play cudge right. But if you if you're tough but right, and the audience agrees with you, the app will fly. And we recorded all the audition shows and the first night it went on air, I was in the UK. He was in La and he rang me and and he did the full cow on me. He said, Peers, it's Simon. It's it's not good news. And I went, oh no, he said, it's really it's bad news, really bad. I went, oh, how bad? You went it's well for me personally. He said, it's as bad as it could possibly be. Wow, how bad was the rate? I was like, this is okay, I'm done. He went yeah, Unfortunately, it's number one in the racings, which means you just became a massive star of America and I feel like doctor frankenstar. And that was that, and that was the start of my TV world. So I did America's Got Talent for six years. Then I did Celebrity Apprentice with a certain Donald Trump as host. It was the first season of the celebrity version. I won it.
Speaker 1: Did he really smell? People say he have smelled?
Speaker 4: No, he was always immaculate, And actually I always yeah, he smelled fine. He was he was. I tell you what was interesting. Someone asked the other day about this. He was much more empathetic in the boardrooms for hours on end than he's ever been as president. It was interesting to watch he stopped that empathy val which I saw a lot of in the Apprentice. I don't know why it would help him. It's almost like he feels you have to be this big, tough guy. If I were advising him, I'd say, if you do win again, bring a bit of empathy, right. People goes a long way. But I ended up winning. That went back on town and then as a result of all this, really what I wanted to do was to do a big interview show and then Larry King stepped down from CNN the greatest bit of interview real estate in world television. Yeah, and my late great manager, John Ferreta somehow got me the gig and we celebrated the Beverly Wolf should Cut restaurant with a bottle of nineteen sixty one Chatela Tour. I think I paid about ten thousand dollars for it, and we drank it very slow slip by very slow sip, and I signed the contract which was brought to me by the front desk from CNN at about midnight. And that was one of the great moments of my life and my manager's life, and that took the whole thing full circle. Did nearly four years at CNN interviewing amazing array of people, and then I came back to the UK did the Breakfast Show. Just to be clear, we had the most dangerous morning show in the water. Not you guys, you guys, you kind of date. We were properly dangerous. And then, as you may may recall the Megan and Harry interview ed on Oprah Winfrey, I took a view. I didn't believe a word they were saying about the more serious allegations, which I think has stood the test of time pretty well actually, given no evidence as ever emerged and I got fired again. We'll put in the position where either I should apology or I lost my job. Now, at the time, we were killing it in the rating. We had just beaten the BBC for the first time in our show's history. We trebled the ratings in five years. We were on fire. We were dangerous and narcic, like anything happened. I never used to look at scripts. It was just like off we went every day and so it was a real shame and I didn't want to leave it, but I left it, and then I went back to work for my old boss, Rupert Murdoch. He was watching a new network in the UK, Talk TV, and my show Appeers Morgan uncensored, which was what I needed to be without people making me apologize to people I thought were lying for saying I don't believe them. And that's where I've I've ended up and I love it. It's you know we've been on are It'll be two years in April. I think we found ourselves a voice of being genuinely uncensored, platforming everybody, challenging everybody. I love it. It airs in three Continents Australia the US on Fox Nation. Here talk to you v in the UK, and that leads me to my career high, which is appearing on your show.
Speaker 1: You had me on on Sents the two.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that a few conversations, a few questions came out of everything you just said. Number one, did Rupe of Murdoch ever try to hire you at Fox News?
Speaker 4: Uh? No, it is always about Fox Nation. Fox Nation is the kind of subscription platform that Fox has which runs side by side with Fox News. I do a lot of Fox News stuff, like I'm doing The Five this week for two days, I'll go on Sean Hannity Show. And but the interesting thing for me is whatever people think of Fox News, I'm never put under any pressure to tow any line, to have any view about an issue. Nothing. Nobody even talks to me. I'm allowed to just be me and have my opinions. And I have strong opinions about a lot of culture as she's in America, which do not sit well with Fox viewers, for example, about guns and things like that. Nobody ever tries to censor me when I appear on Fox News, which is interesting because I would say it's more difficult now to have that kind of freedom of someone like CNN, where I used to work, because their solo, for example, hostile towards Donald Trump. If you try to go on there and say anything positive about him, that would probably someone wouldn't like it. I don't get any of that at Fox, and I find that a really just an interesting observation for me personally, that I'm allowed to just be me and do my thing there.
Speaker 1: I'll let you be pro Trump on Fox, of course, no no.
Speaker 4: But I could be critical of Trump too. Is my point where I think it would be harder to be pro Trump on CNN and get invited back too many times.
Speaker 5: I think I think it's changed now.
Speaker 4: I think it has done a bit. It's good they need to because CNN should really be in the middle. Otherwise, where do American viewers go to for genuinely impartial news coverage. You've got MSNBC very you know, to the left, you've got a Fox obviously very conservative. You need to have CNN to be impartial. I felt they lost their minds over Trump.
Speaker 5: I mean, the reality is all of them should be impartial. That would be the booty. It would beautiful if all of them were objective.
Speaker 4: I actually have no problem in a country like America, a bit like the UK with the newspapers. When we had left wing papers, right paper, I used to read them all. I still do. I still when I'm back in another four or five papers, I read them all when I get a flavor for what everyone's thinking. I don't have a problem with left wing networks or conservative networks, but you've got to have some place that Americans can go to for genuinely impartial coverage. And I think in the in the UK we're quite blessed with We have the BBC, we have Sky News, we have other networks which are very, in my estimation comparative to hear, very impartial, and I like that.
Speaker 1: You know who used to be that for America. John's do it in the Daily Show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I miss him. I felt he gave up that show unfortunately too early. I think John Stuart would have been a really important voice through the whole Trump era. You know, you needed people's strong personalities through that era to put things in perspective. I don't think he would have gone the whole way in constant Trump bashing, because of course that I've known Trump a long time since I did his show. The thing about the Trump bashing is it only helps him anyway, right. I mean, I had a great conversation with Chris Rock when Trump won in twenty sixteen, and I went to the New York Knicks with my eldest son. Spency was over with me and we were just sitting in one of the VIPA is. Chris Rock is at the next table in design. So we got talking. I said, what are you making? Was just happened? The election happened the day before and New York was like a mortuary. He walked around. It was like this terrible silence everywhere. They were low did this happen? And I've been predicting Trump was going to win because I've been doing crime documentaries down in rural America, down in Alabama, down in Florida, rural Florida, rural Texas. I can feel it. I can feel the Trump trained steaming. And no one on the coast seemed to have picked up on this, and the media hadn't picked up on it. They were just like, oh, Hiary, he's going to slaughter him. She's the most qualified candidate ever. And I thought, you don't understand Middle America and what's happening here. And I think and I think the same thing is happening again now, by the way, which is why the Iowa result has shocked everyone on the coast. But you know, I remember talking to Chris Rock and he said, you know, to several things. He said, One, fame, do not underestimate the power of a television fame in America, he said, Now, he said. And secondly, he said, if someone's killed nine or eight people, I think he said, don't go around saying he's killed nine. I thought that was such an astute thing to say. Don't, as we would say in England, don't overreg the soufle right, don't exaggerate how bad Trump is to score your point or get some clicks on social media or whatever. Just give it straight. Examine what he's saying, examine what he's doing. Often, what he says and what he does are two different things, right, But don't over exaggerate, don't over demonize him, he said, you know, don't go around calling him the new Hitler when we know Hitler killed twelve million people. So I thought that was a really smart take then, and I think it's a really good bit of advice now for the Democrats, which is, if you continue to over demonize Trump, all these legal cases against him and so on, it just allows him to play the martyr, the victim. It fuels his popularity. Even Republicans who don't like Trump are rallying behind him because they think he's part of a Democrat led liberal media witch hunt. And if you allow him to play that card, he's going to win. So if you're a Democrat, this is a bad strategy, but you have to.
Speaker 1: Hold people accountable or nobody's above the los, no.
Speaker 4: Question, absolutely, but you have to hold both sides accountable, right, and Trump needs to be held accountable. But you cannot deny that. What's happened in Iowa I thought was fascinating. He won across the board, right, I know, But if it had been if it had been a Democrat with those numbers, trust me, all the people saying yeah, would have said very different things.
Speaker 5: More enjoy yesterday. And he said otherwise. He had a differ perspective which I didn't think about. He was like fifty percent of Republicans also aboarded against Trump, which makes it it doesn't make it a slam dune.
Speaker 4: For I love Morning Joe, and I think Joe scarb was brilliant, by the way, one of my favorite people to watch on television over here. But would he have said the same thing if Joe Biden got those numbers right? And the truth is no, because of course they were tremendous numbers, or we'll.
Speaker 5: Never know because the Democrats don't want to do a primary. Right is also not Demira.
Speaker 4: But the truth is Trump. You know, Trump winning by thirty thirty points of his nearest rival, Trump having the biggest win of any Republican and Iowa caucus ever. Right, these are undeniable numbers. And if Democrats want to look at these numbers and pretend they're not what they are, they are once again deluding themselves about Trump and they will be sleepwalking, which sadly, and I know you've been quite critical of Joe Biden about his just general lack of energy, in general, lack of fire. If you look at Trump, you know he's only three years younger than Biden. He looks twenty years younger than Biden. This is remember that Trump's never had a drink, never had a cigarette, never had a drug. I've had long conversations with him about his brother who died about alcoholism in his forties and made him swear off all that stuff. Right, he has an unusual health for a guy who doesn't look like an athlete. He's pretty fit, and he's got a lot of energy. He can get up there, he can rally crowds. He's a very very effective performer as a politician, regardless of what you think of his policies. And I also think he's shown qualities which are many Americans admire, not least resilience. This comeback is making Nobody thought he could do this after the stolen election bullshit, after the January sixth riots, all that stuff, after the ninety one criminal charges. Did anyone really think We've been in a position where Trump had a landslide win in Iowa and is now in most polls I'm looking at likely to beat Biden if he does end up as candidate. I mean, it's an incredible comeback.
Speaker 5: Well, it's something we say all the time, right, we know that America systemically, structurally is a racist country, and I think things like that prove it. I wanted to ask you about in Trump twenty sixteen. After you win, I can understand the case for optimism. Right, nobody wants to see this country far. But it's twenty twenty four now. Based on everything we've seen Trump do, all of the things you just you know, said, the attempted call the country to not anyone criminal charges, you still think he should be president?
Speaker 4: Well, it's on a question of whether I think he should be. It's whether I think he might be. No, I don't As a non American citizen, it's not for me to say whether Trump should be your President's down to Americans, right. What I do know is you remember that last time, after four years of Trump, nearly ten million more Americans voted for him second time round the first. It was the biggest vote for both sides. Now, Biden got a huge vote, the biggest ever. But don't forget Trump got ten million more than first time. Right. So he is hugely popular with the constituent of American people, with many tens of millions of American people, and the enthusiasm levels for him with his own base are massively higher than they are for Joe bidegre Right. I think the Democrats, if they insist on allowing Biden to progress as their nominee, are going to hand Trump the best chance he has have being re elected. They would say the opposite. They would say, well, we beat him last time. Joe Biden beat him last time because it was the anti Trump vote.
Speaker 1: Not just the anti Trump vote.
Speaker 5: It was like some of the most tragic situations had happened. I mean, you had COVID, you had George Floyd. People were in the streets protesting like it was a series of unfortunate circumstances.
Speaker 1: I think that helped Joe Biden list.
Speaker 4: If it hadn't been for the pandemic, I think Trump would have won that last election very comfortably.
Speaker 2: But what do you think about people now who are very critical of Joe Biden, which is probably going to influence people not to vote for Joe Biden, which is pretty much as far as all the Democrats have. So it's like even with Charlamagne, he they're very critical of him, talking bad about Joe Biden and saying no, you're right. It might push people to sit on the couch instead of go out and vote.
Speaker 4: Well, I know you endorsed them both last time, right, Biden and actually.
Speaker 1: Endorsed Paris, Right, I didn't. I couldn't endorse Biden.
Speaker 2: What do you think about a lot of people that are very critical of Joe Biden, but kind of that's that's all we have.
Speaker 4: I think it's a bad state of affairs for the Democrats, and it's sleepwalking into potential defeat potentially to Donald Trump. I think Trump is ninety five percent certain to be the Republican nominee. And I think if you have a young, dynamic candidate on the Democrat side, then you can draw a real difference now between you and Trump. If you go for someone like Gavin Newsom, by the governor of California. All right, he's not universally beloved for a lot of his policy stuff, but I watched him go on Sean Hannity Show on Fox News for the hour really interesting. The fact that he did it shows he's got balls, right, the fact that they had a pretty courteous debate. It was very interesting. He's slick, he is, he goold operate, He's been governor of one of the biggest states in the country. You know, you look at that and you think, why wouldn't you want to parachute someone like him in to take on Trump with more energy, with more dynamism, with more of maybe you choose a path of the country you think will resonate with enough people to beat Trump. I just think Biden sadly, I don't know him personally. I had an amazing conversation with him once on the phone when his son Bo died, because Bo used to be on my CNN show a lot, and I had no doubt from that conversation. He just rang me to thank me for a column I'd written about his son, and we had a very moving conversation about loss and grief and all that kind of thing. And there's no doubt he has incredible empathy Joe Biden. But if you want to know the problem with Joe Biden, go back and look at YouTube clips of him as a senator when he was in his forties. There's one in particular where he's railing against apartheid South Africa. Is you're watching a firebrand guy, absolute firebrand. You'd vote for that guy every time. He would get the vote out against Trump in a heartbeat. He's not that guy anymore. And it's not because he's eighty one. Actually, I've met some incredibly rupert murdocks in his nineties. He still has vim and vigor and as sharp as attack Dame Joan Collins at the Emmys is a very good friend of mine. Right, Look how fan fantastic she looks. She's ninety. Right, she's nine years older than Biden but has ten times the energy. It's not about his age. Trump's seventy seventy eight. It's not about him being eighty. Mick Jagger, I met Mick Jagger at the cricket in your big cricket fans, you guys, I met Mick Dagger at a big England cricket match in the summer and he just turned eighty and I went, you know, look at you. Compare it to Joe Biden, who were laughing. I think you should be president of the United States if you're American. Because it's not about age. Jagger is only a few months younger than Biden. It's about unfortunately, it's about senility. It's about probably a slow dementia. It's about his inability to stay on two feet, his constant vocal gas and so on, and so it's sad. I don't think anyone feels good about watching Joe Biden kind of physically disintegrating in front of our eyes. But he's still nine months away from a general election and then expects us to think he can lead this amazing, huge superpower for another four years. He can't, aren't and you can't go to karma Harris. She's been a total disaster. So the Democrats, if they're not.
Speaker 5: I think she's scared people more than I think if he had and you know this DESI for racism and sexism comes into play. I think if he has a white male vice president, I think I don't think people are as afraid of all for Biden.
Speaker 4: You know what, I honestly don't think he has anything to do with Carmela's race or gender. I think it's because she's turned out to be useless. And sometimes you just have to call what you see. I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean most vice presidents are useless, well some of them are, and yeah, the job some of them it's it's not a great job.
Speaker 4: You don't really have any power. You just take all the flight. She's been especially ineffective. Let's put it like that, right. I met her actually once. I thought she was very charming to me, and I was expecting more. She's obviously a bright woman. She's just been incredibly ineffective for him. Her pole numbers are just as bad as his, so the paraly I.
Speaker 5: Think she's been ineffective because of to go back to the fact her race and her gender.
Speaker 1: I think that allow allows her to say and.
Speaker 5: Do things that other vps probably couldn't or even somebody like Joe couldn't.
Speaker 1: But she's choosing that.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I don't think she's done nearly enough for your community. By the way, I mean, a lot of promise came in with Karmala Harris. Where's the delivery? I don't see it, So I don't think she's been effective at all. The interesting thing about Gavin Newsom, if he was to become the nominee, it solves the problem of how do you fire Karmala Harris if you're a Democrat leader. Because they both come from California, she wouldn't be allowed to be his VP anyway as a rule apparently in the Constitution about that or the election rules. So automatically you solve two problems at once. You get rid of this decaying old guy as your nominee with a guy half his age and twice the energy. And you also don't have to have Karma as VP anymore, and he doesn't have to be seen to be firing it. So it's an interesting little twist on that.
Speaker 3: What puts you so much into American politics?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Because I love it.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's anything like America.
Speaker 2: I don't think like what like what what made you want to jump into American politics and to learn American politic because it's a it's a lot of bullshit too.
Speaker 4: When I came to see and then I came in sort of that in January twenty eleven, and of course we had the election in twenty twelve, and I just was covering this night after night to night. You got to understand the difference in the American process and ours in Britain. The election in Britain, the general election is lasts about six weeks. That's it. Prime Minister calls an election and within six weeks it's all over. But here it basically starts the moment on's ended, and then it really starts at the start of election year for eleven or ten months. I find the whole process a apart from anything else. You really get to understand what these candidates are about. There's no escape. In Britain, you could actually become a leader of a country. Like Britain, without the public really knowing that much about you because there's not enough time to scrutinize them properly. Plus the American media, when it really gets together and goes after people, is it a for mid scrutinizing beast. So I love I love America. It's for me. It's been absolutely the land of opportunity. I've had an amazing successes here and a few lows. And I love the fact that Americans, whether you're you know, I've been all around America doing America's got talent. You went to almost every major city quite regularly, and I just love the difference between the states the cities. But I love the concerted view that America is still the place if you want to come and be someone. America is still the number one place to make a success of herself. You know, when I was doing one on TV here, I was very conscious. So few British people have done that, really, just a handful To hold down a nightly talk show like Larry King's old job on CNN for nearly four years, it was pretty much unprecedented. So I love it, don't David Frost back in the seventies, you'd have to go back to. So I love I love everything about America and the can do mentality and the competition that you had because you got three hundred and thirty forty million people competing for you know, these prize jobs, and the work ethic. You know, you have like three weeks vacation a year maximum. In most European countries it's at least double that, right, So you have less vacation time, you work harder, you're more competitive, You're more successful as a nation than anyone in history. I love all that that plays to all my I'd like to think of a strong work ethic, very competitive. I like to win in the biggest possible marketplace. That's America. And I love my own country too, of course, but I love that about America, and you lose that at your peril, you know. And it's this whole issue about democracy in America. Incredibly important to preserve the safeguards of your democratic process. When I watched that, generally.
Speaker 1: Well Trump back in well, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Interesting. The one thing I thought was interesting was at the end of his acceptance speech at Iowa, he suddenly sounded very conciliatory and inclusive for the first time, and I go back to the guy I saw across the boardroom on The Apprentice. It may sound trite to do that, but you remember, for most nights, for three hours, I watched this guy interacting with people. He was a very different person, very different, much more charming, much more towards them female contestants, towards people who'd had a hard time, much more empathetic. We didn't get this brash, often quite boorish guy that you see a lot of when he was president. I think if you want to understand why Trump became like that when he became president, go and read his book The Art of the Deal, which I read several times before competing in his shirt. It's probably why I won it because I used to talk to him like it was him. But you know he's he says in there, somebody punches, you punched them ten times back. That's his natural default thing. He has the thinnest skin of anyone in the world, but he has the thickest too, so he reacts to everything, but he can soak up pressure that would destroy any other politicians. The fascinating double skin quality he has. But his natural thing is to be a New York real estate magnate, pugilist right, and if you take him on, as everybody did immediately and tried to kill him off, he will fight back with everything he's got. That's just.
Speaker 5: I agree with you when you say the Democrats need to move away from Joe Biden. But I also feel like Republicans are doing themselves a disservice by not moving away from Trump, because it's hard to say you're not the party of white supremacy when you're supporting a guy who you know didn't attempt to cool his country, a guy who says he wants to be a dictator for a day, a guy who's talking about, you know, killing his political right. More importantly, a guy who said you should eliminate the Constitution in order to overturn the results of an election. I don't care if you're a Democrat Republican. You can't have somebody, you know, a leader of the free world who doesn't believe in the Constitution.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I think the other thing you've always got to be mindful about with Trump is not to take everything he says to you. Now you have to are you done? Have to give you a present you shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Take us too, literally, because we're does media presonality.
Speaker 4: Definitely take us No, I think if you look at look at for example, the other day in Iowa. Right, he comes out with his crack on the either of the vote, and he said, look, I don't care if you're sick at home, just tell your wife, darling, I've got to go and vote. And he said, and if it does, if you end up passing away, at least your vote wasn't wasted. Right. And why I watch people on CNN, my employers trying to be po faced about it. Right, he's basically risking the lives of people in Iowa. No, he wasn't. He was cracking a Trump gag, right. And one of his Trump cards literally is humor. Right. People in Middle America find him mailarious. Right. People in New York pretend not to but probably laugh quietly. A lot of the stuff, A lot of the other characters candidate seem very double by confimence A.
Speaker 5: Free world, tap three funny if people on.
Speaker 4: The plane, yes, I agree, so so, but also you know you're gonna remember becomes from a business real estate in New York, where bullshitting is an artful right. That's what they do, right, They just try pers way people something's worth well, it's not. So. His entire life has been spent exaggerating, going over the top, all that kind of stuff. And I always say, if you actually an interesting question for you guys, if you took away all Trump's rhetoric, which you can't do, but his rhetoric and his tweeting when he's present, take all that away, right, so you never actually hear him speak. You just judge him on what he did. What did he actually do that was so outrageous?
Speaker 5: He implemented, uh, put three conservative judges on the Supreme Court perfectly?
Speaker 4: He is right?
Speaker 1: Yes, sure, but they look how.
Speaker 4: Conservatives would say that's an amazing success.
Speaker 1: You will look how far right they are.
Speaker 5: They got rid of real vieweight right, they got rid of affirmative action in colleges. They're getting the Vaughton rates that want to get rid of the Alton Rasack altogether.
Speaker 4: Hang On, I would say, and I'm not a conservative by definition, I would say that they pursued a conservative agenda. I think secretive about that. They did what conservatives would want conservative appointed, Republican appointed judges on the Supreme Court to do. Trump just got lucky that he was able to do it three times in one tenure. You just got lucky. Right. You could argue with the tactics of the Democrats allowing some of those Democrat appointed judges to go on too long. Yeah, but they're allowing them to die on his watch.
Speaker 5: But the thing that they got rid of directly impact you know, people directly impact people that look like me and you know, people that I love.
Speaker 1: I got four daughters. You know. Rov Wade is a big deal.
Speaker 4: And I agree, I agree with you personally, but that is that is democracy, right, what you're challenging. There is actually a constitutional right of an American president to nominate Supreme Court justices. He just happened to do it three times in one tenure. That happened to ask you the court conservative, would you have me?
Speaker 1: What did you do it?
Speaker 4: Or you can't blame Trump for appointing conservative judges on the Supreme Court. Any Democrat would do the same the other way.
Speaker 1: Sure, but he takes credit for rov Wade being gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and personally he doesn't agree with you, and I I'm making assumption here about your view. He doesn't agree. I believe in a woman's right to have an abortion, Okay. I think it's awful that there are states in America which are going to make it incredibly difficult, if not impossible. I would counter that by saying, there are many countries around the world where it's completely illegal to have an abortion. You can't go to Poland and have an abortion legally, for example, Malta, I think is another one. Right, The UK has some of the loosest abortion laws in the world. The current legal term is twenty four weeks or something.
Speaker 5: Right, So any led an attempted call of this country to a would turn the results of an election.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I wrote a column at the time saying I thought it was a despicable assault on democracy, right, and that all plays to Trump is hates losing. He got into his head. I think he genuinely believes the election was stolen. I think get a lot of people around him, Giuliani and other people who were telling him twenty four to seven, it was stolen wrongly from you. And because of the number of votes involved is like forty thousand votes, the tiny number of votes right, which he had to in his head to compute into a loss, he couldn't do it. And that's a failing of Trump and his failure to honor the result of that election was a disgrace. And I've told him to his face, and he lost his ship in an interview and gave it to me. You know, then you're a fool and you're this. I said, well, maybe I am the fool. But I just think if you're an American president and you lose, you accept defeat. I said, there's no doubt the American political system is one of the most secure in the world. The voting system is one of the most secure in the world. So I don't agree with him about that. But but it's an interesting but I come back to you take away all the rhetoric, actually judge him on what he did. He didn't take America into any wars. That's a big plus to me, big plus. Right. He had interesting relations with traditional American enemies North Korea, China, Russia. Right, did that help or hinder American interest? Would Vladimir Putin have invaded Ukraine if Trump had still been president. I don't know the answer, But he hadn't interesting way of going about relationships with these people, which America has traditionally been very hostile towards and this. You know, if you look at him purely on his foreign policy, I thought he was right about NATO, not in getting rid of it, but he making other countries pay their dues. They're now all paying their dues. Big ticking the box for Trump. He was right, Why should America be paying for everything? If you're signed up member of NATO and you want the American military to come and support you, you pay your two percent or whatever. It was right, and now they all have to. So Trump did a lot of effective things with his barrel like things. He was right, for example, to take take on the Germans about their over alliance on Russian energy, because when it came to it, Russia turned the tap off and Germany was screwed. So Trump has these sort of you know, he has these instincts if trumpet sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. Right, But I don't think he's as straightforward as he's Hitler, or he's an angel. He's somewhere in hell.
Speaker 1: Didn't start off Hitler either. I'm sure you've read.
Speaker 4: T He's never going to kill twelve million people. I can guarantee he's not going to do that. About Hitley, well, yeah, he showed a lot more sign of it than Trump. But I think the idea of equating someone like Trump to Hitler is stupid. Again, it comes back to that Chris Rock thing. Don't over demonize the guy. You may have to have him as president here for another four years, Right, I would urge Donald Trump to change, right, He's got to stop being in defense mode the whole time. Right, have a more That's why I come back to his speech in Iowa. He suddenly started sounding much more inclusive. I want to bring independence and Democrats with me this time. Right? Has he learned lessons? Has he does he regret quietly what went on with Janeral I bet he does. Right, knowing Trump, I bet he does. I'll never admit it, but I bet he does. Would he pivot to a more inclusive president second time round? Has he learned lessons? I don't know the answers those questions. I know that his style enrages a lot of people, but it also delights a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Then that's a guy.
Speaker 5: But I don't believe none of the bullshit that's coming out.
Speaker 1: Of his mouth.
Speaker 4: What what if I said is wrong?
Speaker 1: As far as what's frust Trump? My reading of it, well, even if you.
Speaker 5: Talk about, you know, what he would do in regards to Russian and Ukraine. I personally think if Russia gets back, I mean Trump gets back into the White House of two thousand and four, he would turn his back and let Russia do whatever they.
Speaker 4: Want, maybe to Ukraine. But if you judge him on what he actually think, if actually judges foreign policy and what he did as president, there's none of that to me.
Speaker 5: To me, none of that, all of that failed in comparison to how he does not give a damn about American democracy. When you got a guy literally saying let's get rid of the constitution to overturn the results of an election, I'm not like, No.
Speaker 1: I agree, yeah, agreed, America.
Speaker 5: He's the guy who says America first.
Speaker 4: There's a very good argument that someone who does that should not be allowed to run against However, your constitution makes it crystal clear that he can run again. And in fact he's in the Fourtie Amendment.
Speaker 5: The Fourtie Amendment said if you tried to lead the cool this country, you are.
Speaker 4: A President's going to happen. The states that have tried to play that card, it'll go to the Supreme cool and they're going to throw it out. You know why, because he's got Republican judges.
Speaker 6: Yes, then he put in plate come you know, you know why he was able to because he was elected your president of twenty sixteen, right right, So that if Americans didn't want Trump as president, don't vote for him.
Speaker 4: And the same applies now. Don't vote for the guy because you know what if he com pact the Supreme Court with more Republican judges next time, man, that's exactly what they'll do, as the Democrats will do as well.
Speaker 5: No, Democrats won't do because they don't have the courage to do that. They could have done things like that. Even when Barack Obama could have implemented Merritt Garland, he chose to follow the rules of democracy because Mitch McConnell. That was that Mitch McConnell told him he's too late in your presidency to implement.
Speaker 4: That was practical error.
Speaker 5: Yes, because when when Trump got the chance to do it, he did it.
Speaker 4: But let me ask you, Mitch mcconaed the encourage that you mentioned Obama. So it's an interesting little question. I always throw people interest if you guys know the answer. How many immigrants illegally did Barack Obama deport in his eight years as president?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I have a guess, no clue, no clue. Interesting, right, you don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know it was a lot, but I don't know exactly.
Speaker 4: I have a guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Give me a number.
Speaker 1: I actually have read that as more than Trump.
Speaker 4: Give me a number.
Speaker 1: I really don't know how.
Speaker 4: Many people did he physically have deported in eight years.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Will give me a number. I don't no.
Speaker 5: I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I really don't know even to begin. I don't know his tens of thousands, millions. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Millions, but I read I've read is over three million. He was known as deporter in Chief by Mexicans, and that was more than Trump. He deported way more than he deported, way more pro rather than any president in history. Who dropped the most bombs in a calendar year in American.
Speaker 1: History, President Barack.
Speaker 4: Right, including drone programs and so on. Right, who got elected in a nine on shutting down Guantanamo Bay because as a former lawyer, he believed it was an illegal institution. President Barack Obama, What is still open? Today animal correct right, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. So I know that the general thing is Obama angel, Trump devil. But if you actually apply the scrutiny that we give Trump, put it this way, if Trump had deported three million people, you think you guys wouldn't know the answer. Of course you would, right. Nobody knows that answer because nobody thought that way about Saint Barack. And I think that he wasn't Saint Barack, and Trump isn't the devil. Trump has a more devilish way of talking, and he has to be held absolutely to account. And it's a very good argument to say, after what happened on January sixth, he shouldn't be allowed to run again. But he is allowed to run again. And in fact, he could be convicted of a crime before the election and still be allowed to run as pretend, and he could actually go to prison and still be President of the United States constitutionally from a prison cell. So this is not my constitution, These aren't my rules. This is the reality. So I'm not sitting here saying you should vote for Trump. I'm not defending Trump. I don't I think irrationally. I'm simply presenting a slightly fairer argument about why Trump is now back in the position he's in and why he could win again. Then some people want to present because they think it doesn't suit them politically to.
Speaker 3: Say that, how often do you speak Trump?
Speaker 4: I've spoken to him since we fell out over the last interview, but I'm sure I will do and I'm sure that I had a chat with him before the last election. I said after the pandemic star I fell out with him when when he did some ridiculous announcement that the best way to solve COVID was to inject yourself with bleach, remember right, And I read a column saying, mister President, your batshit crazy ideas are going to get people killed, right, stop it. And he unfollowed me on Twitter, which was no big, no small thing, because he only followed fifty things on Twitter. Half of them were companies, the other most of the other half for his family. I was the only non American I think he followed on Twitter. This became a big story. I didn't speak to for a few months, and about a week before the election, maybe two weeks before, I was doing Fox and Friends and they said, well, you know, you know, Donald Trump, what advice would you give him? And I said, I look down the barrel of the camera. I went, well, if he wants my advice, I said, it's not too late. Just give me a call with the president. Next morning, I get a call from Air Force one. I think it was I'm miss President in United States. So on he came, but nothing had happened.
Speaker 3: How does that come on your core idea? I'm just curious. Didn't come on the Air Force one on your call?
Speaker 4: No, it was no cal I never normally asked. I happened to be at home with my daughter and she just said a hilarious thing. That morning on the school run. She was about I can't remember if she was only about eight or nine. She said. She said, Dad, and she said, you know, I know you keep saying that Donald Trump is a unique character. She said, I think he's too unique. Anyway. Next day, literally like two hours later, we're sitting there and the phone goes and it's and it's the White House switchboard putting me through to the President. And I said, to it last, can I talk to him? I went, probably not a good idea. Probably in like a half hour conversation and I said, look, if you really want some advice, I said, it's this. You've got to start being more empathyathetic. I said, your behavior through the whole pandemic has been it's all about you. The stock market crashing is is you know it's damaging your election chances. Right, you're airing the stupid theories about COVID from the presidential podium, which if people listen to them, they're going to kill themselves. It's madness. Where's I said? You want? You just want to be commander in chief, but actually you can be comforter in chief. That's equally important. Put your arm around America sometimes right as president, be the comforter in chief. Millions of people are getting COVID. Many of them are dying right, many of them are suffering horrendous problems with COVID. Put your arm around the country and be empathetic. You got it yourself?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 5: Is it true you applying to be Trump's chief of There no.
Speaker 4: Made up. I would never work for him, and I would never tell people to vote to vote for him. That's not my business. I'm not American. I have a house here. I love the country, love the people. It's your country. It's your vote. But all I would say is that you did vote him in in twenty sixteen. I didn't, right, And I know Trump very very well. No, No, but it's on you, right, It's on you. And all I see now is the Democrats whining about Trump's comeback. One of the reasons he's soaring back is because there's such a perceived weakness in Biden. Biden's approval ratings are shocking, shocking, Right, No incumbent president, I think, has ever been re elected with these approval numbers. So this is, you know, the country. Most people in America think the country's going the wrong way, most of them feeling economic hardships, most of them, you know, have all sorts of problems with the way the country has been run. And they think back to Trump, and I think, for all the garbage that comes out of his mouth, they look at the way he handled the economy until the pandemic and they think, actually, we were better off under Trump. They look at his foreign policy and they think, actually, we didn't start poking on those in all over the place with wars here, left, right and center, and they like that. Most Americans I've spoken to, you know, they think he took immigration a lot more seriously, for example, than Biden seems to be doing. The situation everything on the southern border.
Speaker 5: Is everything you're saying is absolutely right, and the poll show it what happened, and I always shows it.
Speaker 1: You preachy to the choir.
Speaker 4: When you say to me, Charlamagne, that I went just to pull you up, when you say to me, I don't think you believe a word of what you're saying. All I'm doing is presenting facts. Right, I'm not launching a campaign, but I'm pushed.
Speaker 5: Back on just be more empathetic. It's like, now he's done.
Speaker 4: Only because I've seen him be that and he has that in his locker.
Speaker 5: When people show you who they are, you gotta believe that we've seen enough with Trump and.
Speaker 4: I I agree, and Trump, good, bad, and ugly is who he is. He's not going to change at seventy seven, right, He's not. So you know what you're getting, you know what you're voting for this time. But America votes him, and again it's because they want it. That's a fact, right, you can't get away from that. That's right. And by the way, his his popularity Amongst African Americans is rising as Biden's falls. That's incredible. When Biden came on this soo right and he studied with you, He's saying, if you don't vote for me, then you're not black. You're right. It was a stupid joke, but what a stupid thing to say, and actually how ironic. Ever since he said it, he kind of black votes disappeared from him.
Speaker 2: Right, is a candidate that could beat him? Do you think there is a candidate that could be Trump?
Speaker 4: I if I were at the Democrats, I would absolutely go for somebody like Newsom.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's progressive, but he's moved himself to the center very skillfully. This In the last six months to a year, he's been to China and met President G. You think President G was going to meet the governor of California less he thinks he might actually end up president one day. He looks like a president, right, He looks like someone that could run the country. He's articulate, he's intelligent, He's run one of the biggest states in the country. I think he has a lot of things going for him. I don't necessarily agree with the more progressive stuff, but I think he himself has realized his pathway to running the Democrats and to potentially becoming president is to move more to the middle ground right. And if he does that, and he's given a chance to do that, and that could be the the options for America between Trump and someone like Newson, I think he's got a very good chance, a better chance to Biden.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 5: Let's say there's a great black philosopher by the name of Little Busy. Yeah, he makes his statement say I don't want talk about it no more enough. That's how I feel about political conversation. Yeah, but I do want to talk to you. Do you regret what you said about Meghan Markle in regard to her mental health? Because you know, I'm a huge mental health advocate. Yeah, and none of us know what people are truly going through. Do you believe that you were insensitive to her mental health or for people that don't know, what did you say?
Speaker 4: So? She went on Oprah Winfrey in that infamous interview, and she made a claim that she had had suicidal thoughts and she'd gone to a senior member of the Buckingham Palace staff and asked for help and was told you can't have any effectively because it would be bad for the Royal brand. I did not believe that happened. So what's happened? Since this is over two years ago? Right, Ever since then, not a single shred of evidence or a name of that person has ever been produced. Prince Harry writes a book of over four hundred pages never mentions this. Didn't mention the racism claims either, it because like they never happened. He then said later, I didn't mean to say that the Royal family were racist. We didn't. It was the media bullshit. You said that members of the Royal family. It turned out to be King Charles and Kate had expressed negative concern about the potential skin color of your baby, which that conversation will have never happened, and there is no evidence that it happened in the way they tried to imply what Oprah gasped in horror. And so for two years the Royal family have had to deal with being accused of being callous racist who don't care about a young woman's suicidal thoughts and don't care that about being brazenly racist about the skin color of their child. I said, I don't believe those things happened.
Speaker 1: So you weren't dismissing her mental health? And what you mean?
Speaker 4: And me? And in fact I no, and I went on I went on my morning show the next morning and spent a minute clarifying my view about mental health. Right, I think mental health is incredibly important. People should talk about mental health. But on that specific thing, did I I repeat it? Is it feasible that somebody at Buckingham Palace, at a high level said to a young woman who said, I feel suicidal, you cannot get help? And by the way, Harry at the time was the figurehead of a major mental health charity. Why couldn't he get a help? Right? None of it made sense to me. But in his book it never gets mentioned. There's not a mention of her mental health or suicidal thoughts. Right, there's not a mention of the supposed racism. Again, it's like it never happened.
Speaker 5: That's a good point about what you said about Prince Harry, so big, mental health a.
Speaker 3: Huge Why do you think she's lying?
Speaker 4: Or I think she's a liar and I think he, unfortunately is a liar too. And we saw it again this week. They called their daughter Lilli bet Now that at the time was an incredibly sensitive thing because Prince Philip was dying and this was his nickname for his wife, the Queen, and only a very tiny number of people called her lily Beet, including him mainly, so he would sign, you know, she would sign letters to him Lilybet. It was very special. And it emerged that Harry and Meghan were going to call their daughter Lilibet. Okay, and then when there was a big furiorri about this, they said, well, we have the permission of the Queen. Turned out to be an absolute lie. They did not have the permission of the Queen. Wow. A book has just come out written by a very authoritative journeist with full access to all the royals, including all the Royal household, and they've made it crystal clear that the Royal household said they'd never seen the Queen so angry as when she discovered they were going to call their daughter Lilibet, her private nickname from her husband who had by now died. Right.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: So I'm afraid I think they speak with forked tongue and I think it's caused enormous damage to the Royal family's reputation, not least here and in the Caribbean, where it coursed many countries, still a part of the Commonwealth. I think a lot of black people around the world thought, wow, they're just a bunch of n Steve racist and there's never been any evidence. And when I found out through this. You may remember a few weeks ago this guy, oh mid Scobie, who wrote a book about always supporting the Sussexes, wrote a new book about the downfall of the monarchy, as he put it, and a Dutch version of the book suddenly named Charles and Kate as the people who supposedly made these racist from arks. Everyone in Britain went, oh, don't be so ridiculous, right, the last two people on earth who would ever be racist or say something of the negative context about a skin color of a baby? And I would ask you, guys, interesting question asked at the time. It's a huge ferrari Again, but when you have a white father Megan's father's wife and a black mother and you're about to have a baby as the daughter, is it not a common conversation where someone might sell, by the way, what color might the baby be? Is that not a perfectly normal question to ask when you have white one white parent, one black parent, I would say it is you.
Speaker 5: Know you should have on your shoulder, had this discussion a great scholar and American named doctor Umar Johnson.
Speaker 4: Right, but what Jesus, what do you guys? What do you guys say?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I've never heard that conversation.
Speaker 4: But do you know people in that position?
Speaker 1: No, I've never heard them, because do I do?
Speaker 4: Right? In Britain? Britain is pretty common, right, you have a lot of a lot of mixed raised parents and then you have a child and it's and they all came out and said, well, yeah, we've had that conversation. So the question then becomes not the question if that was what was said, we don't we still don't know. It becomes what was the intonation of the question. Was there a negative concern element to that question? Was it was, well, I hope it isn't going to be too dark? Nobody, nobody believes Charles or Kate would have ever saidthing like that.
Speaker 3: What do you think they're trying to take down?
Speaker 2: It seems like you're saying they're trying to take down the royal family and make them look bad or make them look keeping.
Speaker 4: Their royal titles, which I think is sickening hypocrisies.
Speaker 3: Wow, why do you think they would want to do that?
Speaker 4: Because I think I have to say I I think Mega Markle is a very manipulative person who not at all. I think she's been poisonous to our royal family's reputation, very damaging to the monarchy. And I'm a huge monarchist and support I think.
Speaker 5: You know, I have to ask if she was one hundred percent Caucasian, Oh, I would you would you feel the same if it was the same rhetoric, Oh my god, she was doing the same thing. Would you say she's poisoning the royal head.
Speaker 4: Only she accused him of being a bunch of racists with no evidence. Well, she couldn't do that, of course, so obviously it's only because she herself, right, is what she says. She's black, she's from a mixed race parenting. She made incredibly serious allegations about the Royal family being racist and has produced no evidence. And like I say, why did Harry not mention this in his book? If it was that serious? He probably loves his family still, he hates his family. He doesn't talked to any of his family. She doesn't talk to anyone in her family. Right, So if somebody from a toxic family herself who only talks really to her mother at the wedding, she only had one guest, the mother, right. And you know you asked me, did Mega Markle's skin color play any part of my argument about no right to the point she played the race card with no evidence, which I thought was disgraceful.
Speaker 1: And there's been no evidence since he was firing her up until that point.
Speaker 4: I got on very well with Mega Market before she met Harry. I thought she was perfectly nice, right. I liked suits. I thought she was good. Yeah, love suits, I said, love suits. And so it was never if. I wrote a piece which you can go and find. On the day they got married, a big piece for the male Sunday, saluting this wonderful moment for the royal family of the first biracial marriage we'd had. Everyone in Britain celebrated this. Britain is he going to understand about Britain were a very multicultural, tolerant country. By every poll that comes out, people consider Britain to be one of the most tolerant multicultural places on Earth. And I would say that, having lived there, most of my life. Right, we don't have the kind of incendiary race issues that you have in America. All the history just doesn't exist in the same way. And that's why what happened on that Oprah interview was so shocking and so damaging. And then the question became, well was it true? And I've got to say, sitting here now two years later, no, it wasn't true.
Speaker 1: How would she prove that?
Speaker 4: If it was?
Speaker 5: Though, how would she prove She went to somebody and expressed her mental health concerns, like how would anybody be able to fact check that?
Speaker 4: She just has to give us a name who wasn't Oh, got you?
Speaker 5: Got you?
Speaker 4: And she could have named the alleged royal racist and let them defend themselves, but instead by not naming them, You're gonna remember in the Oprah interview, she said that the racism and comments were made to Harry when she was pregnant. He said, is before they got engaged. That's a year and a half apart. They couldn't even decide what year this supposed to have happened. So a lot of it just smelt to me of being wrong, untrue, very damaging. But no, none of my criticism of Mega markus got anything to do with their skin color or upbringing or anything. In fact, I would think more of her because of her background. I think it was, as I wrote in my piece on the day they got married, this is a great moment for our monarchy, which is a very white family obviously historically right. I don't blame them. It's just like a lot of families in Britain. Like their family, they're very white. It was great to see someone who was not from the normal background.
Speaker 5: Is there really the reason you let go?
Speaker 1: Let go by IV?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't believe her, and I was told if you if you don't apologize to disbelieving it. And then what they didn't tell me on this ultimatum was put to me. They didn't tell me that the night before she had written to the female boss of ITV and demanded she fire me. Wow personally wow. Right, And they didn't tell me that. If I'd known that, I would never have quit. I'd have had the public debate. I'd have had the argument I wasn't gonna be held ransom by some laying princess Pinocchio, as I called it.
Speaker 1: Did you want to quit or did they like no force you.
Speaker 4: No, they said, you apologize, so you have to leave, so you got fire. Well I could have apologized and gravel, But why would I do that?
Speaker 5: You know you won't say it after they make a market interview that freedom of speech is a hill you're happy to die on and you're off to spend more time with your opinions. In this era of everybody having an opinion and a voice, should people be able to say whatever they want without consequences?
Speaker 4: Well, there are even under the First Amendment, which is the most brilliant protection of free speech probably anywhere in the world, there are limitations, right, child pornography and so on. There are things that you can't say because they have repercussions. There are laws that govern these things, right. I had an argument with Elon Musk about this, about bringing Alex Jones back to x for example.
Speaker 1: Alex Jones a free speech hero. You called him a heat speech.
Speaker 4: Must which is And the truth is that Elon originally didn't bring him back and said, I don't think any one who's exploited the deaths of children like that, and he talked about himself losing a child, No one like that should be allowed back on this platform when he first bought it, and when he did a U turn right, I haven't done a utah. I thought he was right the first time. You know, Alex Jones is over a billion dollars to those Sandy Hook families for deliberately, over many years, systematically spreading lies about them to make himself very rich. He made hundreds of millions of dollars by deliberately promoting lies about Sandy Hook families grieving their children being blown to pieces at school. And I was on air when that happened. And I come from a country where very few people ever get shot dead. I mean literally we have. We've had one mass shooting and god knows how long. You know, you have one every two days. Right, it's a totally different culture. We don't have a gun ownership culture. But I remember the pain of those families and the fact that this guy was sitting there in his Texas studio deliberately saying they were actors making it all up blah blah blah blah blah blah for money, And there was a direct correlation. He would say his stuff and you'd see a huge spike in his revenues. And we're talking tens of millions pouring into the coffers. By making these people even more miserable than they were already, I think it's unconscionable, but it's also covered by the First Amendment. Defamation exclusion right defamation is not covered by the First Amendment. He's been found guilty of one of the biggest defamations in American history, but that alone, I don't think he should be allowed back on X. And Elon Musk has banned a lot of people from X, by the way, so there's nothing unusual about banning people from X, even in his free speech world. And I think he does a lot of good for free speech, Elon Musk. But there are limits, of course there are. But generally speaking, if you're not spewing hateful stuff, which is good. Remember somebody listened to Alex Jones and went to the grave of one of the Sandy victims and urinated on it. That's crazy because they believed it was all stage. Imagine him being the family.
Speaker 1: Of that child, and then you end up hurting that guy.
Speaker 4: That was the consequence. Others were chased down the street with people screaming abuse at them for being actors right acting that their child had been obliterated by an AR fifteen at school. And you know, one of them said to me, I won't say which one, but one of the parents did me. You know, they'd seen some pictures and that the AR fifteen that this monster had used Lanza created holes the size of golf balls in their child, multiple all over their body. Golf balls, right, And this person decided Alex Jones to exploit that to make himself very rich. And I think that's I would think most Americans, actually, when you hear me spell it out like that, would think that crosses a line.
Speaker 5: Okay, So when it comes to just to go back real quick, Trump got taken off platform.
Speaker 4: I thought that was wrong.
Speaker 1: But the same reason though.
Speaker 4: He shouldn't have been because and this is a different friends, I think world leaders, everything they say is a matter of historical record.
Speaker 5: Now, when Trump's pushing conspiracy theories.
Speaker 4: They took off They took off Trump, and they kept on the leader of the Taliban, they kept on the I toler in Iran, they kept Vladimir Putin's account. Right, So are you comfortable that Trump is the one that's removed.
Speaker 5: But is telling people like you said, they inject themselves to kill COVID pushing, pushing YouTube conspiracy.
Speaker 4: Is spewing conspiracy bullshit about Ukraine being a bunch of Nazis and the nazifying them. That's true all the time. But Tanaban is spewing their bullshit on Twitter, the I toler is talking about eradicating Israel.
Speaker 1: So how do you regularly this?
Speaker 4: I think I draw a distinction between ordinary members of the public and world leaders.
Speaker 5: What the world leaders worse, because I think we're going to have some Aweson world war the.
Speaker 4: World world leaders. I think everything they say and do is a matter of historical record. You can't hide it away. Trump, I would argue, has got more popular by being taken off Twitter.
Speaker 1: But how is pizzagate historical record?
Speaker 4: It's not so people, So I think what Elstone is great, He's brought in the community notes right. So now you can see in real time under these tweets that people put up which our conspiracy theory nonsense, you can see the true story immediately that was lacking before. So these things would fly around without anyone, you know, being able to look at it and see the real story underneath it.
Speaker 1: Nothing that's gonna work.
Speaker 5: It's like we were talking this morning about the line, though I don't know because he hears the thing we were talking about.
Speaker 4: Take every world leader of acts.
Speaker 5: It depends if we keep on if what they're doing that much power, and what they're doing is inciting violence in any way, shape or form, because the truth of the matter appears people are stupid and like even with the water marks and the things that are saying this isn't true, people will say they're just saying this isn't true because they don't want it to believe.
Speaker 4: I hear, I hear, But it's very different once you go down that line, the line I've drawn for better or worse, and your listeners can make their own minds up. I think world leaders of any kind it's historical record, and if you take one down, you've got to take them all off, because a lot of them say bad things.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you too about the two thousand and four pictures. You couldn't fact check them.
Speaker 4: Then, well we tried.
Speaker 1: It is way worse now, So how do you fact checks?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the fake news thing, the way artificial intelligence can now have someone like me. I've seen a clip played at a Ted talk actually of me promoting guns. I looked it was me and it sounded like this is what I was saying, but it was fake and saying the complete opposite to what I was thinking. And that's going to happen more and more and more.
Speaker 3: And it's very easy to do now.
Speaker 4: It's incredibly easy to do. You see it all the time. It's very very scary, and I don't think anyone's quite worked out what you do about this. It's so it's it's a bit like artificial intelligence generally. I interview Professor Stephen Hawking in the last interview before he died up at his office at Cambridge University, and I said, what's the biggest threat to mankind? You went, When artificial intelligence learns how to self design, it's all over, because they'll decide pretty quickly humans are ridiculous and should just be killed. And you can tell that a lot of the experts, like Elon mask Andals think we're getting quite close to that point. It's what they called for the six month pause recently, and a letter signed by a thousand of them. They know that AI is incredibly exciting and groundbreaking and brilliant and can probably save a lot of lives and all the rest of it. They also know that in the wrong hands, AI can be a lethal weapon, and this is going to be the dilemma for this generation. What do we do about this? And then go back to what you said the internet. I remember the Internet, but this is far more dangerous.
Speaker 1: They go back to what you said. I don't think any world leader should be allowed to be on social media.
Speaker 5: I think as soon as you become a world leader, you have to give it because it's too dangerous.
Speaker 4: Well, that is a very interesting fake tweet the AI. I think you're all in or all out. Yes, so I'm with you. I would personally still argue they should be on, but I think that's a that's a good argument to say you take them all off. The world leaders can't tweet. They can make official statements, and the media can determine how they report those, and if they're spewing untruths and deliberate lies which are going to lead to potential violence, the media can say that in real time because I don't see.
Speaker 2: That's a difficult thing because you always say go where people are right, and a lot of people are not looking at the news for the press conference.
Speaker 3: It's horrible. We could say it's bad, but people are not.
Speaker 2: People will follow Barack Obama, Donald Trump Biden faster than they'll watch a news clip.
Speaker 5: On but those official statements will get pressed, get seen that through social media. You know, I just think it's too dangerous because if I know world leaders are on social media, how do I know this tweet isn't real if it's a fake tot? How do I notice ai video that's posted on them?
Speaker 4: People? People hear this nuts. It's like like every world leader of freedom of speech. But I get your argument. I get your argument, and that that to me makes more sense than piecemeal taking some off and leaving others on where there's a rank hypocrisy. I think you've got to have the same rule for all world leaders, right because you could. You could, I could, as like I did with Obama earlier. You can create an argument for and against almost anybody, particularly if they're a president of a big country. So I think you've got to be all in or all out.
Speaker 5: And I had just a few more questions you You you talked earlier about Tony Blair and you said you were anti war.
Speaker 4: What was it? The ir War?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why aren't you anti war now? In regard to the well I felt.
Speaker 4: What I felt with the Iraq war was I felt that it was America and Britain going after the wrong country for nine to eleven and they hadn't produced evidence to me that Saddam Hussein o mass destruction and they never found those weapons of mass destructions. So the war was fought on a false pretext and therefore, in my view, actually was illegal. Tony Blair also didn't get a second UN resolution mandating warfare, which he thought he was going to get, and when he didn't get, he went along with America anyway, and I think it was a catastrophic mistake that led to twenty years of hell in the Middle East, not least the rise of Isis, who sprang out of what happened. So I felt there was no justification for the war, no moral justification, no actual justification presented that was true turned out to be to be false.
Speaker 1: So you're that anti war, you were just no.
Speaker 4: What is the moral justification. So the case in the latest stage of the Israel Gaza situation is that on October the seventh, Israel was subjected to one of the worst terror attacks of modern times. Medieval barbarism involving the most horrendous assaults on women, children and so on. And they had not just a moral justification to defend themselves against that attack and to go after those who perpetrated it, but actually have a duty to their citizens to do that, not least because her Mass, through their official spokesman, said, our intention afterwards is to do this again and again and again. Right. So there's a clear and present justification morally for Israel to respond to her Mass. Now here's where it gets very complicated. A mass have thirty five thousand terrorists, as I call them. You can call them wherever you want, but to me, they're terrorists, and they live immersed amongst a population which is just over two million people, of which half are under eighteen and just under a third are under ten. So you have an extraordinary number of innocent children as part of the mass population, but living amongst them, embedded in their schools, the mosques, the hospitals and sold We know this from the tunnel system that her Mass deliberately created. You have a mass terrorists. How do you eradicate a mass thirty five thousand terrorists who have done that with out a lot of civilians getting killed, and so I've continually been asking and saying to people, I have a moral qundary about this. I don't know what is proportionate. I do know you cannot allow her mass to continue running Gaza after what they did. They are a terror group who will commit more and more acts of terror. But is Israel's response now, as many people claim it's self an act of terror, is it disproportionate to what happened to them in October the seventh. They've killed many more people, including many more children. As a father, it just absolutely destroys me to see these scenes coming out of Gaza. But you know, I understand why Israel feels this visceral need to eradicate her Mass. I do what I don't accept with it from Israel is any desire by them out of this to continue having an occupation of the Palestinian people. And when you go back to the history the displacement of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians back in ninety forty eight, you can you see that people were oppressed and have been occupied and the constant flare ups in this conflict throughout the next seventy years or as a consequence of a large number of people being very badly treated. But that doesn't justify anything that happened October the seventh. So yes, I understand the history. But I think the difference between Iraq and this is that there's a clear moral justification for going after the people that perpetrated it. The problem is how do you minimize civilian casualties, which happened in any conflict. And I would say the argument that Israel put forward, which is, you know, a reasonable argument. Nobody had these debates about what happened when we went after Isis in Syria or Iraq and many civilians could be many children were killed.
Speaker 5: Then well we didn't see it. Social media change.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, so we see it in real time. I have enormous sympathy for Palestinian people. I think for a long time they've been oppressed. There's been an obvious occupation. I think Israelis who try and deny that themselves. We saw that when they were able to turn off the Israelis. The energy supply like that, the water supply like that, the food supply like that. Imagine how Americans would feel if one of your neighboring countries had that power, you would consider yourselves to be oppressed and occupied. Nobody outside of America should have the power to do that to you. That's how Palestinians feel. And I completely understand that is there a war crome. Well, the United Nations has found against Israel many times, you know, but to what consequence. I'm a lot of sympathy for Israelis You've had to live under a hail of rockets since a mass took charge in two thousand and five, and living in daily fear of that this is an awful conflict. I would simply tell people that where they think there's no hope, I remember Norman Ireland and the IRA and the Loyalists being at war, and the terrorism went on from IRA towards the British and so on, and eventually they did find peace and in fact, the people engaged in hating and fighting each other ended up working together. You can do this. I just think that a mass to me on now, behaving like isis a nihilistic terror group who don't care how many innocent people they kill, and they just want to see the eradication of Israel. You can't have that if you're Israel. But it's a horribly complicated situation, and I don't have easy answers other than out of it. You've got to try and get everybody in that region together to forge a two state solution where they can live side by side in peace. And it was achieved in Northern Ireland after many decades of war, so it can be done, but you need strong leaders. I don't think that either side has good leaders.
Speaker 5: What you gave is a very nuanced answer, and I think most of these topics and issues that we try to discuss there is nuanced, but everybody picks aside. You said some earlier about social media, which I think is true. I don't think people think for themselves more. I think people go on social media to see how they should feel the issues.
Speaker 4: And they exist in echo chambers where they only follow their own tribe, right. So they go in and they want to have a view, and they want to read their view reinforced all day long, and anyone who deviates from that view on either side any of these things, whether it's Trump, whether it's Israel, Hamas, whether it's Brexit in England, you know, whatever the issue is, whether it's COVID vaccines. This nuance is crucial, crucial, and I'm not saying I'm blameless. I remember getting very angry about people who didn't have vaccines, for example, when it was believed because the scientist told us that you couldn't transmit the virus if you had the vaccine, because then it wasn't just about you, it was about you infecting some person and killing them. But when they changed their minds and said, actually, it looks like you can transmit it even if you have the vaccine, I completely reversed my position. People went disgusting you turn, well, yeah, because is that you turned the advice?
Speaker 1: No information now?
Speaker 4: But I was two centsorious about people who hadn't had a bag. It should be personal choice. What you put in your body should be personal choice. I accept that, and I got irrationally angry about that because everyone was a bit irrational through the pandemic. But on Twitter, there's no room for nuance, and there has to be. If everyone could have conversations that we're having about all complicated issues, we get a lot further than we do having them on social media, where nobody gives an inch side.
Speaker 5: We're not trying to be right, We're just putting out there on the conversation. Yeah, you have two more questions. What were your thoughts when you got called to replace Larry King in twenty eleven and were you shocked when it didn't work?
Speaker 4: Uh? Well, I would argue about whether it worked or not. I mean I did it for nearly four years. I could have carried on working at Seeing It, and they offered me a new gig to do just big interviews in several series a year, which I ended up not accepting. So it wasn't like Seeing then fired me. They offered me a new gig, but it wouldn't be the daily thing. The problem with the daily thing for me was I wasn't American and there were so many issues, not least guns which kept coming back. Or I just had an implacable different view to what most of the viewers would be thinking. You know, even most C and M viewers probably have a pretty relaxed view about guns, whereas I looked at it as a Britain when you have more people murdered by guns a day and I think the next twenty civilized countries of the world combined. You know, we in Britain have an average of about two gun desks a year. America has eighty thousand or something a year, of which I think half a suicide. Whatever it is, these are crazy numbers. But ultimately I realized that it's a matter for Americans. It's your country, it's your culture. I understand why people believe in gun ownership here. I understand why there are four hundred million guns in circulation. Then you probably want to need to defend yourself with your own I get it. I get it, Okay, So it's not it's not my debate to have. So there was a cultural problem there that actually I went to CNN to do big interviews, and I did more big interviews in nearly four years. And I think probably anyone outside Larry has ever done for them heard about you. And the interviews were amazing. I'm an interview you know, Bill Clinton twice, President Carter three times, Oprah Winfrey, the Dalai Lama, the president of Iran, almost every celebrity you care to mention. And so when I look back at them, I had an amazing I mean, I did twelve hundred shows and I had a great time. But I felt and CNN felt, we had a long chat, we just felt a kind of I'd done my time, it was I missed home. I'm very British really. I like pubs, are kind of pubs. I like cricket, I like proper football with a round ball. I'm an Arsenal fanatic. I love going to watch that. It would be like an Arsenal. You know Arsenal.
Speaker 5: I said, I'm like, you can do that.
Speaker 4: I definitely miss you. Misheard me, Arsenal. Although we do say we're going up the arts on Saturday, which can be a bit misleading. But no, I loved all those things, and it would be a bit like I would I would acqudit to if you suddenly went to London and you did this show from London for nearly four years, and you'd already lived in America, pretty much like America's Got Talent for six years, so for ten years, I pretty much lived a lot of my time in the US, and when I was at CNN, probably for forty eight weeks of the year. If you did that, I reckon after four years, you'd be gagging to get back to New York, right, to get back to your friends, your old friends, your family, but also your culture. It's simple thing like I would going to a cafe in New York or LA and they'd all be talking about American cultural stuff politics. I loved it, but American sport not so much, right. So they'd be talking about the big football match, or the big baseball game, or the basketball. But basketball is my favorite American sports. I could have a little bit of a chat about that, but not any expert view or any history right, of any history at all. When I go to my local cafe in London, there's all the guys in there, the same people, male, female, old, young, and we're all talking about the big arsehole game of night before the big cricket match. That our sport, our culture, right, And I miss that so much and I love that so much. Now I have the best of all words where I do It show, which is filmed mainly in London, but for about three months of the year I come to America. I love that I come in and I stay each time just long enough for neither of us to get fed up with each other, and then I get on a plane and go off again. And that's fine, And I prefer.
Speaker 5: That last question, probably the biggest thing we talked about in this whole hour and a half. Is it true that you play boy the homeless bird Lady in Home Alone too.
Speaker 4: No, it is not true it You've got to prove it. Why don't you ask the actress who plays the bird lady Brenda exists. It's a woman. What's her name, Brenda Friker.
Speaker 3: You must have got that before.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you made it up before.
Speaker 4: I had to do my Christmas card based on miss two years ago because I've got so many people going on about it. It is not me, and every time that bloody movie airs, which is every Christmas, I get bombarded on Twitter with Ahamehame. It's not me. I have been in nine other movies playing myself, which have grossed over two billion dollars. So you're actually you won't realize it, but I'm one of the biggest movie stars you've ever had.
Speaker 2: Morgan, Ladies and gentlemen, we appreciate you for joining us this morning.
Speaker 1: It's to say thank you so much.
Speaker 3: And it's the Breakfast Club Good morning, wake that airs up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club