Speaker 1: As a late fifteen to ten touchdown doc.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys, Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly. We are presented by Microsoft Surface as always, joined by Matt Money Smith Money. A lot going on in the world of the NFL, between the wild card games, the divisional games coming up, and all of the coaching rumors, a lot of smoke on X. I'll say that this week.
Speaker 3: No doubt and that's you know, unfortunately, you know, I saw Mike McCarver doing this Thursday morning. I saw Mike McCarthy's presser, and look, I understand, you know, it's it's tough. You have families, you got kids, they hear about, you know, what a bad job your dad is doing, and that you're going to be plucked out of your school and move to some other city, and you know it comes with a job. Yeah, you know, I can't remember. I think it was Bill Parcells who said it. You you get into this business knowing that you're going to get fired. It's just that it's a sad reality of the business. And you're talking about this on the radio show with Petros. I think it was yesterday, maybe the day before. It's about probably day before I think, see, you know, it's interesting what's happened because we're focused on Jim Harbaugh, right, and here's someone that won a national championship at Michigan, and this is someone who was essentially fired for all intents and purposes, like right in that COVID season when they went too and four, they cut his salary. You know, the rumor was that John had arranged that meeting with the Vikings to try to get a little bit heat on his brother's name so he could, you know, prove that he's a valuable commodity and Michigan was going to bring him back. Like that's how capricious this business is. And now he is the most sought after coach in this coaching cycle. And yet three four years ago everybody assumed he was getting canned, and he was and no one was going to touch him. And that was it for Jim Harbaugh. And yet here we are. And so I think it's just a reminder of what what it's like in the NFL when you decide this is going to be the profession, When you choose this as your profession, it goes with it.
Speaker 1: Is it fair?
Speaker 3: Not always sometimes yes, But that's just the reality the players make too much money, they're too valuable, they're too hard to find. So when things go wrong, the coach ends up wearing it. And that's how we end up in a position where we're in right now, where Bill Belichick has won six Super Bowls is looking for a gig. Mike Vrabel has done arguably the best job in coaching in the last six years since he's been the head coach in Tennessee, and he's looking for a job in Jim Harbaugh is now trying to get back into the NFL after getting the boot over four seasons in San Francisco, and all he did was take the team to three straight championship games and one Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mike McCarthy wins twelve games in each of the last three years, and his job was being called for Nick Siriani with to a Super Bowl and was ten and one at one point. His job, as we tape this, still TBD. So it's not an easy profession. Sometimes you see whatever the coach did last and that is kind of the okay wow, Like, for instance, Jim Harball, just we're a national championship. You talk about a hot offensive coordinator, like a Ben Johnson man, he's leading one of the best offenses in the NFL. So the last thing you see is kind of the gateway into becoming a head coach or moving to another place. And you know, the Chargers have done a great job money keeping fans up to date with the general manager and head coaching interview process by kind of listing it on x I couldn't help. But notice though that the Jim Harball announcement got five million views on X so if that doesn't tell you the interest level among the fans. And obviously they have interviewed a lot of well qualified candidates at both the GM and the head coaching position, but one name seems to stick out right now, as we taped.
Speaker 3: This same thing, had that conversation about the Instagram because I stay away from Twitter as much as possible.
Speaker 1: It's a cesspool.
Speaker 3: But Instagram good idea. By the likes, Oh yeah, the likes ninety four though I was ninety seven thousand when I had checked to do the story for the radio show, ninety seven thousand. The next highest was fifteen thousand. Now I get that Jim Harbaughs is a much bigger name than Steve Wilkes. Or Mike McDonald. But you know, ninety seven thousand compared to fifteen thousand is quite drastic, So you know, I think it it's twofold for the Chargers. Right, You're in a really tough market. You're in a market with the Lakers who have Lebron James. You're in a market with the Dodgers who just signed Shoheo Tani. And we recognize what the competition. You know, Sean McVay has won a Super Bowl with Matthew Stafford and the Rams, Lincoln Riley has a Heisman Trophy winner, and Caleb Williams idiot is competitive here. And I can't help but think that that's a big part of the consideration. First thing you need to do is find the right coach, a coach that's going to be the best partner for Justin Herbert right, and the look alliteration to me is King, right, Belichick and Brady two b's, Herbert and Harbaugh two ahes. Let's just make that connection right there and pair him up and let's roll. But I think there is something to be said about having a coach a head coach, and we've seen it with the Rams. He's the biggest star. Mcveigh's the biggest star on the Rams. He's bigger than Aaron Donald, He's bigger than Cooper Cup, He's bigger than Matthew Stafford and pukain Akua. He's the star of the show because he's just dynamic and he wins. So I do think there is there is something that separates Jim Harbaughugh from everybody else that we're talking about in this coaching cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Sean mcvayh shows you money that you can get a coach in a lot of different ways. He was thirty years old offensive coordator of Washington when they hired him, and really, you know, unproven as a head coach. He proved it very very quickly. Harball, on the other hand, coming off a national championship, when you talk about the national headlines and the attention that Jim Harball is going to attract wherever he goes next, you couple that with Justin Herbert, if it is in Los Angeles Sofi Stadium, a new facility. Football is king in the United States, And you're one hundred percent right when we talk about the Lakers and the Dodgers, the Clippers announcing an All Star Game right up the street from so far. You know, a new era there in Clipper basketball with stars up and down their roster. But if you can make inroads in this market with Jim Harball and Justin Herbert, a I gotta do is win. And Jim Harball is a proven winner at every level. So that's why there's interest. And I think when we see the franchise quarterback that we think Justin Herbert is pairing him with somebody who's done nothing but elevate the quarterback position wherever he's gone seems like a no brainer. Like guys like Mike McDonald think Mike McDonald's gonna be a really good head coach, right, you know, Ben Johnson could be a really really good head coach. But it's about fit at this moment.
Speaker 3: And I think if you'm gonna I'm gonna jump in right there, though, Chris, because I think you just said I think you just said it, right. I think I think we don't know. And that's the difference to me in this coaching cycle, right is we know Jim Harbaugh is a great coach.
Speaker 1: We think Mike we can't afford.
Speaker 2: Think we can't afford think.
Speaker 1: Right, that's what I mean, right, Yeah, no doubt, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't afford think when the last three hires have been first time head coat. I think, right, So that's that's kind of what I think everybody collectively is thinking right now, is can we get a proven commodity. And even if you took Harball out of the equation, you mentioned Mike Rabil, you mentioned Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, there's a lot of guys who have done it before, even Dan Quinn to a degree, you know who went to a Super Bowl, who have been head coaches before. I think that's what this franchise needs is somebody who has lived through it, who has had adversity, who has had success, and can kind of navigate this franchise into a new era.
Speaker 3: With Herbert Undersenter, well, it's cyclical, right, and it's cyclical inside of a team concept, but it's also cyclical in the league as a whole. And you often hear, well, we had a player's coach, now we need a discipline aarian. We had the offensive coach, now we need the defensive coach. And that tends to be how it works. Just it is something you try something, it fails, you swing to the complete opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to the higher But what's happened in the NFL, and I think it's a correction, it's a course correction. Is because of the success that Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan experienced and they were both hired in the same cycle. It led the NFL to chase. And if anybody has experienced chasing in Vegas, you know it doesn't end well. You get down on the first day, you're there for three more days and you're chasing it and before you know it, you're in a heck of a hole. And the NFL started chasing. They were chasing the young dynamic. You know, well spoken, can present it, can talk circles around everybody else when it comes to schematics and play calling, and they all wanted it, and that's what everyone was after. And it's been the last six years or the last five years that we've seen all of these hires, the Nick Sirianni, Shane Stike and Brandon Staley, Brian Dabe, they're all play callers. And now this particular site, Michael, What's and I'm not just talking about the names that are being batted around. I mean just the talking heads, the debate shows, the hot take shows, what the even when you get into like the the NFL radio stuff and the people that have been around it forever they are now, it is so on point. It is the number one talking point that the NFL owners and general managers became too smitten with a scheme with a play caller and did not recognize you need someone to build culture, to set a tone, to make sure the building is right. And that's what I think people realized that when in this we I think we've discussed this here.
Speaker 1: I feel like we have.
Speaker 3: You know, that was that was a huge part in my opinion of Brandon Staley's downfall is his persistence at being perceived as a top play caller and not recognizing that wasn't his job. His job was not to call the defense. He wasn't the defensive coordinator. He's the head coach. And he was so focused on being a great defensive coordinator and calling a great game that he lost. You know that he didn't see the forest for the trees and that's what brought him down. And it happens to a ton of them. And I can't you know, Brian Dave Ball when he said no, I'm not calling plays, I thought it was such you know, just here's someone that was hired because of how good of a play caller he was and the development he had. In Josh Allen, He's like, no, there is way too much to do as a head coach that I can't be worried seven eight plays. When you're a play caller, you got to be thinking about Okay, this is third and six, but if we get the first down, now, I'm already thinking about first and second down, and that just gets in the way of everything. And so it feels like this cycle, everybody has got back to the most important thing is set the culture, make sure the building is right, hire great assistance, and be a leader of men. And that's it feels like that's what all of these candidate it'sorry this time around.
Speaker 2: I think Dan Campbell is kind of the blueprint for a lot of people, right who kind of lets Ben Johnson do his thing, let's Aaron Glenn do his thing. And the only exception to that rule money. It seems like I'm just going to call it the Mike Shanahan coaching tree because Sean McVeigh knows football. He knows ball and he calls the plays. Kyle Shanahan, you know, learn from his dad who went and who won two Super Bowls. He calls the plays, but he knows how to set a culture. And you kind of look at Matt Lafleur right now calling the plays. But for some reason, I think that that Shanahan tree is like the one exception to the rule. Now you look at like Bobby Slowek right now, who's in that head coaching candidate pool right now? So but you're right, like, there's a lot of young guys and there's a lot of play callers who seem so singularly focused on the one thing that made them successful. But guess what, there's about ten things that a head coach is going to have to do setting the cultures number one. That's why I love what Jim Harball has done done in his career because his teams are tough man like. You don't typically hear about an offensive minded coach who like leads with physicality and toughness. That's what That's what Jim Harball has done. Everywhere from Stanford to San Francisco to Michigan, there's there's a toughness among his teams. He's played the game, and you know, there's a lot of great coaches who didn't play the game. But I think in the case of a guy like Dan Campbell who like lived through tough moments and like was in the fox hole as a player, I always give you know, coach Linn a lot of credit that that twelve and four, nine and seven two year window where he had some success. Man coach Lynn was a leader of men, and I know it didn't work out here, but I think there's something to be said about a guy who has had a multitude of experiences, including playing in the National Football League, and Jim Harball has been everywhere and he's as tough as it gets. And I think i've that's why we keep going back to that name, and why fans are so attracted to it, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt, and I think you know, just to go to your coach limp point one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Players loved him. He was a leader of men. He got in his own way. He started calling offensive plays.
Speaker 3: You know, when when Shane took over, he wanted a piece of that action, and oftentimes he wanted to be the guy that was calling the plays inside the twenty or critical plays. He was trying to find the perfect play. And we know that one of the knocks on coach was time management and calling time outs and when to go for it and when not and why are we running it on third and four? And there was a lot of that. And it's like, I think, if you just hire someone that you trust, you know, and you look at some of the names that are available on the offensive side of the ball, for Jim Hart, look Greg Mormons, Greg Romans out there. You know, he was let go by Baltimore. He was replaced by Todd Monkin. Obviously they're experiencing great success. But it's not like Greg coach Lamar Jackson do an MVP season. He was with Jim in San Francisc go all those years coordinating that offense, you know, taking a team to three championship game.
Speaker 2: Was Greg Roman was a hot head coaching candidate in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Too, Yeah, exactly, because he had Colin Kaepernick a second round pick and they were taking the league by storm. They figured out, they figured out, Like that's the thing about you know, you mentioned Matt Lafleur and what he was able to do to Dallas. You know, bright offensive mine. Okay, I see what dan Quinn's doing. I know how to find the soft spots. I'm gonna do it. We're gonna tear him up. Maybe they adjust, but until they do, we're gonna keep doing this. And he found it, you know. And Mike McCarthy didn't, you know, he just didn't. He was calling the plays. He couldn't figure it out. So I do think there's value in that. But that's something that And who did Jim Harbaugh hire to coordinate his defense in San Francisco? Vic Fangio didn't care. This guy's larger than life, bigger than me. Brought him into Stanford, you know, the guy's most respected defensive coordinator in the league and didn't care. These guys are great coordinators. I'm gonna be the head coach. I'm gonna run the program. I'm gonna set the tone. These guys are gonna call the plays. They're gonna they're gonna be able to do it, you know, on each side of the ball. I'll empower them. And that's you know, and that's kind of I think what we've now returned to as opposed to, Oh, I've got to find a head coach on the offensive side of the ball that can develop a quarterback that has a scheme that wins.
Speaker 1: That's a great play caller.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you can get but if you can get Andy Reid, great, great, you know, but the Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Andy Reid's are so few and far between it. And I mean, even for all the celebration that we're given, Matt lafleur Man guy had home field advantage against the forty nine ers two years ago with the best record in the league and couldn't score fourteen points. So, like, I appreciate what he was able to do with a rookie quarterback. And there is no hotter quarterback in the league right now than Jordan Love and what he's done the last eight weeks in the playoff game, no doubt. But let's not forget success really was not there in the postseason with Aaron Rodgers with coach lafleur So quarterback, maybe it was a quarterback I would love it if it were. You have no idea how much I would love that if it were Chris one hundred percent. So I think that's why we keep going back to this one name, you know, And and if they had interviewed Bill Belichick, or if they had interviewed Mike Rabil already, I'm sure we'd be talking about that as well, that had any of these three this, But it does, and that's what leads me to think that this there's a look, the guys get paid a ton of money to be right on information. Adam Schefter and Tom Pelsero and Ian Rappaport and Jordan Schultz and all these guys get paid a lot of money to be right, and every single one of them is said the same thing. That it appears as though there is intent on each side to make this happen. And I don't think they're writing that and posting that unless they're hearing it from their sources inside each you know, inside each side of this negotiation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think Adam Schefton made it very clear that the Jim Harball is big fan of Justin Herbert, right, so right when that type of information comes out there, right you just people are excited right now. And like I said, there's a lot of smoke on Twitter, a lot of a lot of unreliable sources that are being I'm glad you don't go on X money. I don't think we've talked about that as of late, so it's.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 3: No, I try to avoid it as as best as possible. I enjoy I enjoy Instagram. I enjoy my interactions there. I find it to be a much more pleasant platform. And Twitter is nothing but a nightmare, complete and total nightmare.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider end laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot com. Hey, I wanted, I wanted to bring up another name to kind of in that same vein as as Dan Campbell, But man, I think he's going to be an absolute superstars Demiko Ryans. Did you see did you see the micd up of him talking to the linebacker Ian Cunningham basically telling him what to do to get a pick six off of Joe Flacco and boom, you know, and that's the type of play that changes a game. And to to your point about just a coach who kind of oversees everything and can put you in our right position to be successful in a pivol game like money. We're starting to see kind of a a power shift in football right now with all these uncertain head coaches and quarterbacks. You're looking at CJ. Stroud, a rookie, a rookie quarterback, and a rookie head coach in their first year to do what they're doing. There's so many young quarterbacks and and you know, then we look at New York and Aaron Rodgers. It just seems like, man like, you guys are way behind the eight ball right now because there's a lot of teams in the AFC that you have to contend with. And I don't know if I'd be worried about Aaron Rodgers and the Jets as much as I'd be worried about c. J. Stroud in the Texans or what's going on in the AFC North. All four of those teams with Joe Burrow coming back. So it's such an interesting time to be a fan of football. And you know, the parody is real, and that's why I think Chargers fans should be excited about whoever comes in here. You know, you can turn things around very quickly.
Speaker 3: The point you made about Demiko is very reminiscent of what we used to hear about Bill Belichick. Yeah, you know, he wasn't calling the defensive plays. He would set the defense and he would set the tone in the you know, over the course of the week of practice. But during the game you would always hear about how or in the weeks, you know, in the week leading up to the game, how he would pop his head into the quarterback room and sit with Tom and say, hey, I noticed this is what they're doing. Look at this. If you see this, look this is going to be I know what the doing here. Like That's what he's doing during the game is he's observing. He's not calling the defense. He's busy watching what's going on and he can figure it out. And that's when he reaches, you know, to the offensive coordinator whoever, says hey, I see this defense, I know what they're in.
Speaker 1: This is a winner. This is a winning play.
Speaker 3: And you hear stories like that all the time about Belichick because he's watching the big picture. He's not focused on if this, if this works, I'm gonna get him in third and eight, so what's my third night call going to be? But if they gain three, it's gonna be third and five. And this is what my third And that's the problem with calling plays is you miss the big pictures. It's too fine a point on it is what you have. So it's a great point about Tmiko because that's you know, that's something that and look, he's a guy that came from Kyle Shanahan who wanted who wants complete control over the offense. And that I understand. He's the best play caller in the NFL. So you know, Andy Reid, I get there. There is a body of work there that shows you're gonna take a hit if they're not the one call in the plays. They're so darn good at it. Same with Sean McVay. So that part I get. But again, there's so many different ways to make this work. And you know, year in and year out, when you see who makes it to the Super Bowl, you know, look at Nick Sirianni last year, you know, with with the Eagles and Shane Steichen's the one calling the plays, but sirian is the one that's overseeing it, you know. And and so I think there's a bunch of different ways to do it.
Speaker 1: Whichever way you know that that.
Speaker 3: Dean and John, the Spanoses and and Ed and everybody decide they're going to go to me. I just feel like for the last three, you know, the last three coaches, it just feels like it's it's again, it's all lending itself to this one particular destination, and again that Jim Harbaugh wants to do it. He's got to want to do it, you know, that's the one thing you can't control. You can present him with an offer that you think he can't refuse. You can present him with a roster that includes Justin her Herbert, you know, and Rashaun Slater and the number five overall pick, you know. And however he wants to approach it with those big four, if it's a restructure, if it's a trade, if it's a cut, if it's figuring out how to bring all four of them back with with Khalil, Joey, Keenan and Mike, you know, there's a lot of options for him that I believe are attractive. And especially if you give him, you know, a big runway, you know, a five year runway, something along those lines, and you know, a five year runway that can turn into a ten year runway if you if you win a Super Bowl and you can get settled and you can hang out here and perhaps retire at seventy if if everything goes as great as we think it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Money last point by me and guys, if something happens between now and our next charges weekly, well we'll come with a little reactionary pod at some point. I don't know when it's going to be, if it's going to be at any time in the next week, but we'll bring you something is as things start to develop here. But my last point is really when you look beyond the head coach. Philly is a great example. They lost Shane Steiken and Jonathan Gannon and they suffered down the stretch, right, It's yeah, it's picking the correct coordinators and having an A plus staff behind your head coach. So whoever it's gonna be, that's what That's almost like one A to me. It's like, Okay, who you bring it in to be the offensive coordinator? Who you bring it in to be the defensive coordinator? And you know, at this time of year we see staffs get rated and you know, you have to replenish. So that's going to be a very interesting part of the processes. Whoever comes in, what is the coaching staff going to look like? And if it's a guy like Harball, we've seen some of his assistants both at Michigan in San Francisco, like you mentioned, you mentioned Fangio, you mentioned rom and I think Pep Hamilton was in Michigan with him for a for a stint.
Speaker 3: About David Shaw, he's out of a job right now. You know, James Shaw was o CE at Stanford, you know, and his assistant head coach for four years.
Speaker 1: Before he took over.
Speaker 2: So is it mintor the DC there?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Michigan he had he had a great year. McDonald was there, Mike McDonald was there, so he was.
Speaker 1: There on loan for for a year.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So you know, I was pulling up the you know, all the different the different interviews, and you look through the general managers and you know Terrence Gray and Cunningham, uh and then just recently Jeff Ireland had Dodds. It seems as though they've pretty much made their way through almost everyone that they've requested, So I don't think they've interviewed Jeff King or Will McClay yet. But outside of that, after yesterday or I don't know if yesterday was Dodds in Ireland or if it was I think it was Gray Ireland and Dodds, We're all yesterday, So, you know, with with those done now, the only interviews that are left in terms of requests are Raheem Morris whose rams were just eliminated, Dan Quinn whose Cowboys were just eliminated, and then Ben Johnson Aaron Glenn who were still alive. So it does feel like we're we're at the end of this because they can if they want to wait for Ben and Aaron and those guys, you know, they can do that after this weekend in terms of in person if they want to get them out here. So I feel like it's I feel like it's kind of it's been exhaustive, that's for sure. I mean one, two, three, four five, I mean we're talking about almost ten general manager candidates, two four, six, eight nine head coaching interviews. I mean that they said it was going to be that they were going to have an exhaustive search, and they certainly have. They talked to a lot of people. So where it ends up we you know, nobody knows. It's all what he you know, it all depends on what you think your team needs at that given moment. Jerry Jones thinks his team needs another year of Mike McCarthy. A lot of people would disagree with that, but that's, you know, that's what he thinks, and who knows, maybe depending on you know, I hope he sticks around. I hope there's a way for Kellen Moore to be sold on, you know, sticking around and trying to keep this offense very similar to you know, maybe maybe there's a way that he and the next head coach can work together. But if not, I could totally see Jerry saying, hey, let's bring Kellen back. Let's just let's get this off your plate and let's you know, it's something you guys can get a more collect you know what I'm saying, Like, there's just so many different ways to go about it, and like that would not surprise me at all. I think Dan Quinn, after that playoff game and the way Matt Lafleur just humiliated him, is going to have a little bit of a struggle here in this head coaching cycle. Fair not it's one game. I guy coach multiple Pro Bowlers, all pros. You know, he certainly deserves better than than what the incoming that he's taking, you know, considering how well is defense have played in the playoffs in the past, you know, and it was the offense that let the Cowboys down. But you know, it's the last.
Speaker 1: Thing that's the case.
Speaker 2: It's the last thing you see. And I think that that's going to be no doubt that that's going to be a question in dan Quinn's interview, is what happened last week.
Speaker 3: But you know what the big thing, Chris, honestly is, I would assume most owners or president of football operations would say, I can't I can't get this guy out at a press conference. I can't introduce this guy to the fans after that. We can't sell this like we could have if it would have been a fourteen to thirteen Cowboys lose to the Packers and Dak and Mike McCarthy disappoint again and no clock management and Dak threw a pick sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can sell that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't sell Jordan Love throwing to guys that are wide open, you know, and absolutely demolish you know, the Cowboys defense that had been so good all season long and having zero answers in that game.
Speaker 1: I think that's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: Tough.
Speaker 3: Can I sell this? Can I sell this to our fans? And you know that are that are calling for you know, for change and give us a lot of money every year and and are heavily invested in this franchise. It's it's very hard to roll that guy out to a presser right now.
Speaker 2: Buddy, let me just last thing outside of Harball, which candidate are you high on? First time candidate, guy who's been there before? Like, is there another candidate that you you because we can think here that you think could be a really good head coach?
Speaker 3: Look for me, I think we've we've talked about it. It's it's it's one of three and it would be four if he would throw his name in, but he won't because he doesn't want to coach anymore. But it'd be Chris Peterson. I just I need to I need a winner, and I need a leader. And so that's Belichick, Rabel, Harbaugh. Just to me, that's what this this locker room needs, that this franchise and needs that someone that walks in the door and is viewed as a winning coach, as someone that wins, not someone that coordinated a defense in Baltimore or got the most out of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore in his you know, first season there. It's it's it's not that I just don't feel I feel like we've had that. I mean, Brandon Staley had the number one defense in the league when he showed up and the press conference, he was dynamic in the press conference, he said all the right things. He got off to a great start. He was this forward thinking, aggressive, go forward on fourth down. I believe in Justin Herbert and Keenan Allen and that's why we're going for it, you know kind of guy. And it was great. Those little moments were great, but the big, the whole was not, you know. And so that's why I think it's such a critical moment for Justin Herbert at twenty six, at the start of this extension, prime to his the next figure. This coach is going to be with him through his age thirty season. So to me, it is so important to get it right. And I would much rather have someone even though Mike McCarthy, even though Mike Vrabels offenses at times had struggled. He had those two really good seasons with Arthur Smith, you know, where they had a thirteen and three record and were the number one seed, and had Ryan Tannehill not thrown like sixty interceptions in the game against the Bengals, they would have won and perhaps gone to the Super Bowl that year that he took him to an AFC championship. So I do think there's a little concern about offense with Mike Rabel and making sure he brings in the right guy. But at the same time, just we know it. Heck, we've seen it up close and personal. Saw it this year Tennessee dragged him into the deep end and sucked him under to get the winning overtime. We saw it last year when they had no business being in that game, and it took a miraculous effort from Justin Herbert at the end of the game to get a game winning field goal to knock him out. They are such tough teams to deal with, so it would be I would I would love it if it were one of those two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The preparation in the in game strategy of Frabele and Belichick is something that I think this team would benefit from, no doubt.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Steve Wilts is interesting. You know, turned around Carolina, you know, got a raw deal in Arizona. He's coordinating a heck of a defense in San Francisco. So, like, that's another one that's that's interesting to me. Someone that had been a head coach before and his player.
Speaker 2: I think I thought, we're here that game on Saturday night or Sunday night, right. I think that that got him a head coaching Joe.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, he's going to get hired.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if we want to hire the defensive coordinator from the Rams again, though, I think that's the that's the trick there is. It's just tough to to do the same it's it's not the same thing. Ray Morris has been a head coach, He's been in the league for a long time. He's coordinated defenses for a long time. At the same time, like I said, perception, Oh wait, didn't we just hire the defensive coordinator that had Aaron Donald from the Rams, that had Jalen Ramsey from the Rams?
Speaker 1: Yeah, didn't we just do that? That's the problem.
Speaker 2: There's enough openings that I think Raheem deserves a shot.
Speaker 3: Is Oh, he's getting one. I have no doubt. I have no doubt in my mind that he's getting one. I think Ben Johnson's getting one, Raheem Morris is getting one, Mike Rabel's getting one, Jim Harbaugh's getting one, Bill Belichick's getting one. That's five those to me, those five guys either the two coordinators to me that are definitely getting hired are Ben Johnson and Mike McDonald and I think and Raheem Morris. And then so that's six. Rabel, Belichick, Harbaugh. Those those six guys I believe will be hired.
Speaker 2: And it's trending. Pierce, it seems like in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense. You know, Mark Davis didn't listen to his players when they said they wanted Rich Bassacia, and he went out on his own and got Josh McDaniels and it ended horribly. So and if you're Mark Davis, I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, all right, we tried it my way, it failed, let's try it your way. I'm giving McDaniels ten million bucks and John Gruden twenty million bucks in coaching salaries. I'm paying out anyway. You know, might as well see if this works, save a little bit of money without trying to bring in another fifteen million dollar a year head coach in Harbar or Rabel or Belichick or something like that.
Speaker 1: So and it worked.
Speaker 3: You know, their defense went from what twenty six to fifth, and they went five and four, and they beat the Chiefs, and they beat the snot out of the Chargers, and they beat the Broncos in the final game of the year. So he clearly showed he can coach against Sean Payton and Andy Reid and showed he did a number on the Chargers. So I think that's probably enough. If I were Mark Davis, I'd say, all right, DeVante wants him. If Max Crosby is that adamant that he really wants to play for this guy, I'm okay with that. Let's give it go and see if we can make it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll they'll have to bring in a new quarterback and a and a offensive coordinator that can put some points on the board. Because save for the Thursday night game against the Chargers, you know, they did they did everything with kind of smoking not not smoking mirrors, but just defense. Like the offenseense. Was it the arrowhead that a cole didn't attempt to pass after the first quarter? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like if.
Speaker 2: They get their offense right, you know, who's to say that's not a not a good hire?
Speaker 1: And you they lost three to the Vikings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Vikings. They put up a goose egg. Here's here's too money is like, you know, he's not a proven head coach, but you give him a runway for a year or two to kind of show that he can do it, then you know there's really no there's no downside to it because your your locker room wants them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I get it if you're Mark Davis and you're like, wow, I got an opportunity to hire Jim Harb bought Mike Rabel, and I'm going to take a pass because this guy had you know, an okay, nine games straight. That's I get why that's scary. But I think because to me, it's all the Bisaca thing is what is what leads you to that point, Like, man, I really stepped in it. I should have kept this guy. The players loved him, they played hard for him. We made the playoffs. You know, we were right there at the end, you know, at the very end of that game against the Bengals, and that's a team that ended up going to the AFC Championship. I should have just listened to him, kept my coordinators, hired Bassachia and see if we can have some continuity. Instead brought a new guy in. He wrecked Derek Carr, wrecked the franchise. Everybody hated him. Cost me fifty million bucks.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, and it's what the people want. It's what the Raiders fans want. They love them, you know, so give them to them. That's I think there's something to that.
Speaker 2: Yep, we could be in a division with you know, we'll see what the Chargers do. But you got Peyton, you got read it. It's going to be very interesting, you know, especially with all these all the head coach movement I mentioned in the quarterback movement and what's going to happen at the top of the draft, which is another episode, another time for talking about the draft, because we don't know it's going to happen here. But like the Caleb Williams think Caleb Williams entering the NFL drafts on the very final hour that you can do it like that's that's intriguing.
Speaker 1: Well remember though, CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud did that last year, so I know everybody's making a big deal about it, But yeah, Stroud did that too. I mean why, I don't know. Maybe he just like the attention or something. He's The idea that somehow he holds any cards is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 3: He holds zero cards. You know that everyone thought he was going to go back to USC for a twenty million dollar nil payment. No, it was never going to happen. Oh he's going to get a percentage of the team. Never going to happen, though, no chance in the world.
Speaker 1: You are not. And I think the only thing.
Speaker 3: That could happen is people could just decide that they don't like his attitude, that they don't like his makeup, that they don't think he's a leader of men, and that concerns them, and he drops down behind Drake May and Jade and Daniels. You know, that could happen if his interviews are that bad and if he has a really bad attitude, you know, potentially that could be a situation. I don't feel like he's that kind of guy. I think he's just gotten some poor advice from from the people that he's working with. By all accounts, he seems like a really good teammate, someone who's great in the locker room. It got sideways on him this year. He had nothing left to prove. He had already won the Heisman, he wanted to win a national championship. It went sideways and there was nothing left for him to do but get hurt. You know, he's already knew he's gonna be the number one pick. So I get it at that part of it, I get so. I think for him, he's going to the Bears. They're not trading out of that pick and keeping justin fields. They're not taking Drake may or Jaden Daniels over him unless there is just a huge red flag on character. And I don't foresee that to be the problem. I don't foresee that happening.
Speaker 2: They blew out their offensive that for a reason, right Like I think it was Rich Eisen who said, like, do you hire Cliff Kingsbury? Probably he probably do, right like, or somebody that's associated with Caleb that that knows him. I don't know, could be, it could be a possible.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: Make it as comfortable as possible, you know, think about what the think about what the Ravens did for Lamar Jackson, how they completely built the team around him and and and played to his strengths. You know, even though there wasn't incredible success, you can't argue with how great Kyler Murray looked his first couple of seasons with Cliff Kingsbury. It was comfortable. It was what he was doing. He thrived, So no doubt that. Yeah, there's something to that. You know, look when Joe Burrow took off, when they were like, you know what, let's just do what he did at LSU. Let's go empty five out in the pattern, and and Joe's fine, he's such a quick decision maker. He's gonna find the open guy and that's what we're gonna do. Let's just let's just do it, do it. Did do what worked for them. You know what they're pre a stop and that's you know, look at CJ. Stroud, you know, the guy's incredible on those intermediate throws. All right, Well, let's go sign Dalton Schultz and let's let's get a ton of these intermediate throws set up for him and just play to his strengths. And that's no doubt. I think you hit it right on the head, Chris. That's probably what they'll do. Hire one of those guys that worked with Caleb, that did great things and helped them win a Heisman and and ease that transition to the pros, especially when you're playing on the freaking shores of Lake Michigan and the wind is howling at negative twenty and fifty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: We got an education on Bear's quarterbacks last week from money, right, So Caleb Williams comes in best quarterback in Bear's history immediately right.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's got a chance to replace old Sid Luckman, you know Or how about this?
Speaker 1: You know what? No, I got a pause there.
Speaker 2: The seventy three nothing Sid Luckman.
Speaker 3: He's got a chance to come in and be the best quarterback since old number four Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: There we go, let's go, let's end there. You know what I think I said My last point was twenty minutes ago. We just love ball. We can't stop talking about ball.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, exactly love it.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I can only hope that the second this thing posts, we got to scrap it and come back and talk about a head coach and general manager that have just been hired. It'd be wonderful to go into the weekend knowing that that's been settled.
Speaker 2: It'd be great. It'd be great, and we'll be on standby again. If anything happens between now and our next Chargers Weekly, we'll come at you early with our immediate reaction to head coach GM whatever could possibly happen. So money, looking forward to that. Love this episode with you and UH for money. I'm Chris. This has been Charged Weekly