Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Shout out to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Shout out to another guy, a very cool cat, who is in fact following up on a pop quiz for our Ridiculous Historians tuning in earlier this week. Calvin Coolidge was not, in fact the basis of Calvinism. There are a lot of people named Calvin in the world. And know all you pointed out, Calvin Clyde, You're no Brown, I'm ben Bowling. But out of all the US presidents named Calvin, this guy is automatically the coolest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: And as of the recording of this podcast, forty five individual human people have held the position of president of these United States. And Max pointed out that there might be some personnikity listeners that would say, hey, Max, what's the deal? There have been forty six presidents. You have to remember, fair listeners, that Grover.
Speaker 2: Cleveland was both the twenty second and the twenty fourth president.
Speaker 4: And there are the facts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. And there were a lot of also rants in Potus history. That's just the acronym president of the United States. One person who gets a lot of heat is a president named Warren G. Harding. Hang on, Ben, you might be saying, why are we talking about Harding? You just made such a big deal about a president named Calvin Well. That's because Warren G. Harding, Warren G. Warren G.
Speaker 3: It was the regulator.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's the first one. Warren G. Gets elected president. We're abbreviating a lot of this. Here's what you need to know. Warren G. Becomes president, he is unfortunately unable to complete his term of office. He passes away while he's president in nineteen twenty three. And this means that his vice president, Calvin Coolidge, automatically becomes commander in chief, the thirtieth president in the history of the United States. And you know, I love credit. I love shouting out our research associates. Credit to Max Williams for this beautiful turn of phrase. Here what would ensue would arguably be the call mist boringist presidency in the history of America, but also somehow the most hilarious and ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Dare we say so?
Speaker 1: It's very important to shout out our research associates, and in today's episode, we're going to dive into the history of a guy who had a street name as President Silent Cal.
Speaker 3: And this is not like one of the classic opposite day nicknames like Little John, not the rapper, but the member of the Robin Hood, Mary Band or.
Speaker 2: You know what was it. There was actually someone in history.
Speaker 3: I know what it was. It was in Skyrim. There is an orphanage in riftin I believe that is run by this sort of miss Hannigan type figure. I can't remember her name, but when you talk to one of the NPC's when you go in and hear her beating the child and saying, how you gotta snipes, will never be adopted ever, you're mine, And they say, the nice kind lady that works there tells you, yeah, people around town call her kind Margaret or something loved.
Speaker 1: The kind.
Speaker 3: Boiler certainly on the Brotherhood also haven't gone. I did immediately want to murder her. But Silent Cal was in fact quite a laconic figure, the one that definitely wouldn't talk unless he had something to say.
Speaker 1: Favorite mentioned this on the on the air in a previous episode, so got to give credit where its to. My favorite Talvin Coolidge anecdote is one time someone came up to him and said, because he's so famously taciturn, they came up to him and said, I bet I could get three words out of you, and our buddy cal looked around, looked at the person, and then said, you lose.
Speaker 3: Ooh, James set match match whatever. Yeah, Calvin, what a guy. Let's learn more about him, though, Let's do it. David Greenberg, writer of Calvin Coolidge Life before the Presidency for the University of Virginia's Miller Center, had this to say. Coolidge was born John Calvin Coolidge Junior on July fourth, eighteen seventy two, in Plymouth.
Speaker 2: Notch, Vermont.
Speaker 3: He grew up helping his storekeeper father tend to the accounts, selling apples, and doing other chores around the store at home on the family farm. As a boy, Coolidge had little ambition in life beyond hoping to follow his father as a good.
Speaker 2: Honest, small town merchant.
Speaker 1: In the original course of research here, I had initially misread that that passage as Calvin Coolidge grew up helping his storekeeper father to tend apples and sell accounts, which is.
Speaker 2: You know, sketchy selling it well maybe yeah the time.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, let's let's learn about the patter familias here. The senior Coolidge is a kind of hard nosed guy. He's a pillar of the community, upstanding dude, probably not a ton of fun at parties. But he's also active in local government. He's in the Vermont's House Representatives, he serves a term in the Senate of Vermont. And he also he's one of those guys who is continually in local office, like one of my kind of sketchy uncles. Sorry, Uncle Sam.
Speaker 2: Isn't Bernie Sanders from Vermont?
Speaker 1: Isn't that Sanders? Yeah, Sanders is a Vermont guy.
Speaker 3: It just strikes me as a place that breeds level headed individuals.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's it's beautiful in autumn. Go if you get a chance, people drive up there just to see the leaves. So everybody says, all right, this guy Coolidge is he he's not a wild Coolidge, the elder patter familius. Again, he's not a wild man. You know. You see, some years he's the peace officer, some years he's the tax collector. But he is good at his job. He's good at running his store, he's thrifty, he's also a farmer, and he's got this sort of solidity to him. He is an anchor for the town and he's committed to public service. And this is something that we know young Calvin aspired to. He really looked up to his father on miny levels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, and he also appreciated how good he was with money. And I love how David Greenberg describes the younger Coolidge in terms of his academic pursuits. He described him as a fair to average student in the Plymouth Elementary school, and he did manage to make good enough grades to get into Amherst College, which was considered, you know, prestigious at the time. So he must have worked hard because if if he's considering him a fair to average student he's getting into a prestigious university, that probably means he had to bust his butt to like keep those grades up and that it was important to him.
Speaker 2: He wasn't just naturally a whiz, you know in school.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, he is not necessarily the most precocious student, but he does understand the value of study and hard work. He gets excellent grades in his last two years at Amherst College. He graduates with honors in fact cum laude, and he becomes a member of the Republican Club and the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He also gets He also gets known for his dry wit, and I love that he was lauded for his public speaking skills. He actually got the junior prize in oratory competitions, which is just like, who is the best at talking in front of more than four people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's funny.
Speaker 3: I mean, when you think about his reputation as being somewhat taciturn, it is kind of funny that he was the one who was brought up to host sort of like a roast kind of situation of the graduating class. I just I don't know I can possibly even attempt to do it. I'm just not funny enough. But I would love to see a sketch where someone did like a stand up comedy set presented by Calvin Coolidge. It'd probably be something along the lines of like Joe Para, you know, very monotone, kind of meadow, kind of string of dad jokes.
Speaker 2: I'm just picturing this. I don't know.
Speaker 1: He also, in addition to that, and obviously that's a pitch for his upcoming podcast. He also got first prize for his essay The Principles Fought for in the American Revolution. He eventually goes to Northampton, Massachusetts, where he reads law in a law firm. He passes the bar in the summer of eighteen ninety seven. One big thing about the United States versus a lot of other powerful countries is that many US press scidents have their background in the world of law, in the world of litigation. You can look at other countries where many leaders have their background in engineering stuff like that. It's just it's a cultural fun fact. He opens a law office, and if you own a law office in the late eighteen hundreds, guess what. You also participate in local politics. And that's what Calvin does. Following I would argue in his father's footsteps.
Speaker 3: And Coolidge's sort of ascension into political life was very measured and it was just kind of like slow and steady wins the race. And around nineteen hundred he started to do some work with the local Republican Club in Northampton, and this ultimately led to him getting a place on the city council.
Speaker 1: So in his ascension he becomes Lieutenant governor in nineteen sixteen. He holds that role for two years, and then he gets some national press because he runs for the position of governor of Massachusetts and he barely wins. He just edges out the Democratic candidate, Richard H. Long, and so now the eyes of the world and probably people in Congress are upon him. And this is fratuitous timing because the Republican Party, as we know, returns to power at the end of World War One. And then also he does some things that remain controversial to some. He gets a lot of press across the nation when he calls on the National Guard of Massachusetts to break a strike by the Boston City Police, and then he says, there is no right to strike against the public safety by anybody anywhere anytime.
Speaker 2: We don't like that. That's not great.
Speaker 3: This was seen historically, you know, upon further analysis, is something of a reactionary move, but it was actually pretty popular at the time because labor sentiment pro labor sentiment was not necessarily what it is today.
Speaker 2: I guess it's still a little.
Speaker 3: Bit complicated for some people, but at the time it certainly wasn't, you know, considered like the position of the you know, moral individual, the moral citizen, that workers deserve to be treated with respect, and it got him some pretty serious support.
Speaker 5: I do want to jump in here though, and say, like, there was actually an extensive writing I found while researching this that said Coolidge kind of regretted doing this in the future because he was up despite like, you know, he was a Republican, he was a fisical conservative, but he was actually a pretty progressive dude, and he would look back like, I shouldn't have done that, but because it's like, you know, the cops are striking, but also you know, you shouldn't send the National Guard into break a strike.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean there was a sense I think maybe it wasn't so much about like the public at large being anti labor, but the results of these types of strikes were lawlessness, or at least we're seeing as lawlessness, and I think the general population was like looking at strikes through that lens, right exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know, despite this, overall, he is pursuing a pretty progressive agenda for a politician of his stature at the time. He says, look, if you're a public employee, we know the cost of living is rising. We've got to pay you what you're worth. If you are a child who is working, then you shouldn't work more than forty eight hours, which we knew a week, which we know sounds terrible now, but that was actually that was a really good move on his part. He also did, by the way, limit the work week for women in Massachusetts. He said, there's too many billboards, there's too much advertise. Let's calm that down. People liked it on both sides of the political aisle. People were like, he gets it.
Speaker 3: There's a little something for everybody, you know, and the kind of stuff he's doing. And so he continued to advance in local politics and eventually went on to marry Grace Anna Goodhue. That was on October fourth of nineteen oh five at her parents' house in Burlington, Vermont. And she was also a graduate of the Higher Education in the University of Vermont, a Phi Beta Kappa member, and was a teacher at the Clark Institute for the Deaf in Northampton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they've got a nice meet cute. I think it's good for a rom com So Max, if we could get some we get some rom calm music. I leave it to you, sir. So Coolidge gets Grace's attention one morning because she is walking through town in Northampton and he was living a boarding house at the time, and she walks through the streets. She happens to look up and she sees an open window where there's this guy standing. It is underwear, shaving and wearing a hat.
Speaker 3: Was it a baseball cap? We don't know at this time, glistening, you know, with shaving cream. It reminds me of like the trope of like the sexy bare chest to construction worker with a six pack drinking a diet coke on a roof, but only way nerdier and schlubbier and less sexy.
Speaker 1: I also think it's interesting that we don't know what part of his body he was shaving. I mean, history wants us to assume it was his face.
Speaker 3: I'm going to come clean on something, y'all. I once, when I was younger. I don't know why I shaved my right thigh, or rather a calf, and I swear to you the hair has never grown back to this day.
Speaker 1: A like Lee's story. Oh that's cool, man. I mean, swimmers, hey, swimmers are some of the most physically fit people, and they shave all the time. They got to get rid of the friction. Okay, it wasn't love at first sight. She thought he looked like a cartoon. And then she go thawed, this was not a coquettish cover the mouth kind of thing.
Speaker 2: This is like, are you okay?
Speaker 1: And she could fowt as I was saying, and she laughed long and loud enough for him to notice her, and then she turned away. And he later like, when they talk about this later, because they have a long relationship. When they talk about this later, he tries to justify it, and he says, well, I wear a hat when I'm shaving because I get to keep my hair out of my eyes.
Speaker 2: That's respectable. Yeah, I'll buy that.
Speaker 3: I do love this though, whenever you hear and I've got a couple of friends who very similar story. He said, I am going to be married to you one day. I guess that was him actually proposed that. Yeah, that's true. Maybe it's just a little different. But as a couple of dear friends of mine who I've known for a long time, who I knew separately, one of them said was I'm going to marry that girl, And he definitely did, which is so romantic.
Speaker 1: Again, Rodic and Grace really dug this Calvin Coolidge vibe, just like the populace of Massachusetts. She immediately said something to the effect of, I imagine you have mistaken that for a proposal, But yeah, dude, I'm in.
Speaker 2: Al then you rogue.
Speaker 1: So they have a kid. They have John in nineteen oh six, and then in nineteen oh eight they have Calvin Junior. The whole time, by the way, our buddy Calvin Coolidge is pursuing his career in politics, and as we know, he reaches some rarefied heights.
Speaker 3: He does, and it all really starts with his attending the Republican National Convention in Chicago as the state's favorite candidate for the Republican presidential nomination.
Speaker 2: That's in nineteen twenty.
Speaker 3: He only got thirty four votes on the first ballot. But then there was some you know how backroom deals, especially back in the early days of politics, were really the thing that elevated well, who am I kidding?
Speaker 2: Of course, it's still that way today.
Speaker 3: Was come on, I s to have any illusions, but there were some of these deals going on that helped ensure that Warren G. Harding was in fact nominated. We already talked about Warren g All. Remember what happened with him? He regulated, he did, he got regulated. Coolidge wasn't initially part of the conversation to be his running mate. They were hoping for a guy by the name of Irving Linn Roots, Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Honorable Senator Irving Lynn Roots.
Speaker 3: I'm we all remember that name, right, definitely Len Root for life and and Coolidge name did get Coolidge's name rather did get dropped into the ring. And then there was some support that rallied around him from some delegates that were sort of I think, kind of almost I guess protesting in a way like yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was more like they were voting against Len Roots. That's right, and that's right in the larger context. Shout out to our friends at Encyclopedia Britannica. In the larger context, Calvin just keeps lucking out because he's on the ticket now, as you said, in the nineteen twenty election is really a question for America, and the question is do you or do you not like President Woodrow Wilson. We know our pal Max doesn't like Woodrow Wilson because he gave Woodrow Wilson, the nickname dumb Dick.
Speaker 6: Woodrow Wilson is the fucking worst?
Speaker 1: Is you is?
Speaker 3: Or is you ain't?
Speaker 1: My constitut See, well he's no Franklin Pierce, but a few people yeah.
Speaker 5: In my book, I mean she resegregated the national He sure did.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 6: He basically murdered Eugene V.
Speaker 2: Debs.
Speaker 6: So yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh also uh oh Andrew Jackson as well. Look, the presidents aren't perfect nor.
Speaker 6: As generally pretty bad.
Speaker 5: If you actually go put it, hold them up like the wasn't the last one hundred plus a years look a lot.
Speaker 6: Better when you go back before nineteen hundred.
Speaker 1: You gotta see there's a great stand up comic who's really making a name for himself, Shane Gillis. You got to see his bit on George Washington. It's amazing, and visiting the Washing the Washington Museum anyway. So people aren't surprised that Harding wins the election pretty easily. And part of the reason he wins this pretty easily, to your point, Max, is because Eugene V. Debs is imprisoned at the time, and uh, and the status quo is against him. Republicans are like, look, our boy Harding and Calvin. We guess they win, and this means that we can reverse all of the policies Woodrow Wilson made in the US, and we can also get rid of all the international overtures he made across the world.
Speaker 3: I love that about government changing hands, where it's like, hey, let's do everything we can to wipe out what the last people.
Speaker 1: Did psyche other countries.
Speaker 2: It seems really effective.
Speaker 1: Faclks the number one reason that other countries don't trust the United States.
Speaker 3: And thus begins one of the most corrupt, toward nasty presidential terms in the history of the United States.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's where people start rightly saying that President Harding is a very open to and vulnerable to corruption. This really stresses Harding out. Historians speculate it may have been a factor that led to his early death. He got a heart attack in August of nineteen twenty three, and so on August third, nineteen twenty three, at like two point thirty in the morning, Calvin Coolidge gets the official word that he is now President of the United States, and he goes to his dad, because his dad.
Speaker 2: Does the shop keep the humble shopkeeper from Vermont.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his dad, like me, is a notary public and so his dad's wait a humble brag. It's easy, you should do it. It's fun. You get a stamp. So his own father administers the oath of office, and Coolidge takes his oath with the family Bible. It might seem weird, and it might seem a little bit ad hoc, but we have to remember then as now, there always has to be a president as immediately as possible. So they can't hold up to like travel outside of Vermont. They can't schedule a day. It has to happen.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty dramatic. Honestly it is.
Speaker 3: You know, in Coolidge again, he had a little something for everybody. As he ascended to the role of the president, he realized that there was some damage control that needed to be done, you know, sort of rebrand this administration to differentiate them from the corruption of the Harding administration. Yeah, and really inherited kind of a pile of crap that he had to mold into a beautiful sculpture.
Speaker 2: I don't, okay do with that image, which it's.
Speaker 1: A real messy bowl of spaghetti. And he does have to bring order out of this chaos and skullduggery. So he's again a very tenacious guy. He's the kind of guy who doesn't make a big to do. He just does what he believes should be done. And so it comes to pass, I'm saying, And so it comes to pass a lot more often because I feel like that raises our dramatic stakes. And so it comes to pass that Coolidge one by one starts rooting out the sources of corruption and making the executive branch of the US government a model of integrity. And this is in his own image. He says, Look, you know, America, we might not agree on everything, but I will deal with you and the fate of our nation in good faith. I am someone you can trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he also, you know, like I keep saying, he kind of had a little something for everybody. He was determined to maintain this sense of the old moral and economic ways, not representing some sort of massive shift that would freak people out, because America is actually doing pretty well. And you know, one thing that freaks people out when there's a new president coming in is like, are you going to raise our taxes? Are you going to do something that's going to affect my money. You know, I never realized why politics becomes so much more important to older people.
Speaker 2: It's because they're looking out for their money man.
Speaker 1: And so it comes to pass. I'm not letting go of it. It comes to pass that Coolidge has to explore some of his own moral boundaries. He says, We're not going to use the economic power the federal government to stop this boom. We're not going to likewise ameliorate the depressed condition of certain industries. We're going to treat everybody equally. And so his first message to Congress December nineteen twenty three, it's a very weird year for him. He says, we're going to be more isolationist in our foreign policy. We're going to cut taxes, We're going to provide some limited aid to farmers and humble farmers. Humble farmers, guys check out Rebel Moon. It's important to realize that one guy's a humble farmer. And so it's.
Speaker 3: Literally all I know about the movie, right right, It's an important point that occurs every ten minute.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, these moves are incredibly popular throughout the United States because no one knows the Great Depression is on the way.
Speaker 3: So with Coolidge kind of representing the strong arm of justice and the antithesis of the corruption of what the Harding administration came to be represented, as he also brought with him this kind of return to a more conservative fiscal policy that has been I believe is still I mean, who knows these days, that sort of the foundation of what the Republican Party went on to sort of evolve into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Coolidge also again is functioning as a thing to be held up in contrast to political opponents. Because the Democratic Party then was not the Democratic Party of today. The ku Klux Klan had a lot of influence in them. And so in the election nineteen twenty four, Coolidge wins by a huge margin. He gets like three hundred and eighty two electoral votes. The Democratic candidate John W. Davis only gets one hundred and thirty six. And they kept the same They kept the same idea all throughout this presidency, the idea that this was a guy who would hear you out. This guy was steady, he was an anchor for America. He would keep calm. They used the slogan keep it cool with Coolidge, get it in nineteen twenty four and nol. You brought up a great point off off Mike. We've talked so much about this guy's physical and social kind of like his vibe. So you found a great clip for us to play of the actual Calvin Coolidge, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: It's DeForest Funo Films Present President Coolidge, taken on the White House grounds. This would be the kind of thing would probably be played before the feature, you know, in a movie house, like the newsreels or whatever. But I love the framing and this whole like production sort of plate, I guess at the beginning of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's humble, he's got a pince nez, he's he's holding his notes, and we're just gonna play a quick clip from nineteen twenty four.
Speaker 7: Costs of government are all assessed upon the people. This means that the palmer is doomed to provide a certain amount of out of the sale of his no matter how low the price, to pay his taxes. The manufacturer, the professional.
Speaker 1: Man he's going through his notes, cret.
Speaker 7: Must do the same from their incomes, often the higher right when compared with his earning.
Speaker 1: I'm falling asleep, guys, I think we can stop Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the funny thing, I mean, this, what he's talking about out here directly pertains to, you know, the policies that we're talking about. But also, wow, this guy roasted his senior class again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the dogs. I can handle a roast from this guy.
Speaker 1: He's a he is doing though. I love that example because he is speaking to particular demographics of the United States and he is saying, look, I get it this, the the government could be better to farmers things like that. Right, He's speaking directly to the people, and this is tremendously reassuring. We could argue to the American public. But when he said this, uh, he also he was not He was not a fan of like impulsive radical decisions. And our boy loved a veto He vetoed so much stuff all the time. He vetoed fifty bills. I think in two of those, by the way, were far we're relief for farmers bills, right, I mean, he was shrewd.
Speaker 3: You know, this seems to go back to what his pappy taught him back in the old home front, you know, keeping keeping the family store. This idea of prudence you know, with money, and of being a good steward of Resources. Walter Lippman, journalist and media critic, and also he is listed as an amateur philosopher, which I'd like to think we all are. Walter Lippman had this to say. He actually refers to President Coolidge as having a sort of political genius, and he says this active inactivity suits the mood and certain of the needs of the country admirably. It suits all the business interests which want to be let alone, and it suits all those who have become convinced that the government in this country has become dangerously complicated and top heavy.
Speaker 6: Small government.
Speaker 2: Small government, you know.
Speaker 1: Also the art of frantically and importantly doing nothing, which.
Speaker 2: Activity we've seen. We see this of that.
Speaker 1: So this is where he starts to get famous. He starts to get known for his taciturn nature, his his lack of verbosity. Coolidge is seen as a kind of remote, negative president, but at the same time he's seen as the most accessible because he will go to an interview with you, he just won't expound very much outside of his like scheduled White House law and speeches or talks with Congress. He's like, uh, what is it? Uh, He's in an interview. He's not I'll get to another noted uh literary man of the day, Bernard Barouche, and he says, look a lot of times I'll be in these interviews and I'll just sit through them. He specifically said, well, my rooch, many times I say only yes or no two people even not just too much. It wigns them up for twenty minutes. More so, he's basically he's like saying, look, if I give these folks anything, they just keep going.
Speaker 2: They're like a dog with the bone.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of when people ask David Lynch about the meaning of his films or like specifically a raser Head, where he's just like, no.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to tell you. What do you what do your stuff?
Speaker 1: What do you think about the music in your films? David like, well, I do, I do think about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very important. I like Red Kurtains, I love album David Lynch Show. I like his album too, Crazy Clown Down, Crazy Clown Time.
Speaker 1: So we mentioned how he gets the nickname Silent Cal. It's it goes back to of course, that Washington DC hostess. She's a socialite, and she says, oh, you must talk to me, mister President, I made a bet today that I could get both in two words out of you, and Coolidge replies, you lose. So his policies, though, I think this gives you a hard time to Max. His policies are conservative. He is very pro business. He is very much not a Eugene V.
Speaker 2: Debs.
Speaker 1: And there is something impressive, low key impressive for his international policy because the Coolidge administration is not rocking a lot of tectonic plates or cultural boundaries, but they are pretty competent in terms of what best benefits the people of America. They're focusing on internal growth. They are, perhaps you could argue a bit too isolationists in different places, Like Calvin Coolidge says, no way are we joining the League of Nations, the predecessor to the United Nations. He's like, I'm an American president. Beat me here, Max, I do shit for Americans. Oh and we should mention that he did have a vice president as well, Charles G.
Speaker 2: Dawes. It's right, does what we had to say about Dawes.
Speaker 6: He received the Nobel Prize for helping Germany.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool, I like that, Gon, Max. What else did this? Dawes fellow do so.
Speaker 5: Dawes actually because they were not involved in international stuff, but when they did, they were actually good at it. Dawes helped Germany meet its war debt obligations, you remember, they're paying everybody off.
Speaker 1: Which were huge and indeed part of the economic factor leading to World War two.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, yeah, great depression than World War two. Uh So he helped with that. And they also had this guy named Secretary of State, actually Frank B. Kellogg, who was very influential in this pack called the Kellogg Brand packed.
Speaker 6: We figured out how to stay.
Speaker 5: At one point because we have a we have an episode about this is we do. It's titled something along the lines of when they outlawed war, So basically it outlawed this we're taking your land type of war, which is still you know now, whenever countries go to war, they come up with some fake reason, like Russia has with.
Speaker 1: Ukraine that time everyone tried to outlaw war. January sixth, twenty twenty two. Complete coincidence. So no presidency lasts forever by design, you know. And you can look to the Administration of FDR to see why that can become unpopular and dangerous. So let's go to nineteen twenty eight. Our boy, our boy, the cool cat Cow is pretty popular still, you know, some warts, some bumps along the way, but he's up for reelection, and there is no law at this time that limits the amount of times you can run for president. There was sort of what we could call I hate to use this phrase, but there was like a gentleman's agreement or house rule of US politics that you should only run for president twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is that more of like a, like you said, like a decorum thing at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, okay, gotcha, gotcha. But now it's official. Good, Now it's super efficial. Yeah, it's good. I'm glad, Thank god, thank god.
Speaker 3: And he could have run again if he had wanted to, based on that sort of social norm of the time, but he just was kind of done with it. I think he'd felt like he had accomplished all he'd wanted to do and wanted to maybe step out of the public eye for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and going back to that excellent work by David Greenberg, we know this. He was pretty low key and abrupt with his announcement. He said, look, I'm not going to seek reelection. With one statement, I do not choose to run for president in nineteen twenty eight. The first people to find out about this are reporters who are traveling with him during his summer vacation in nineteen twenty seven, and he just gets He doesn't even publicly say it. He hands it to them on little strips of paper. It's like he gave them a very specific and weird fortune cookie. And so people like the word spreads, and people, including his family members, have no idea what's going on. Someone asks his wife Grace, what she thinks about the announcement, and she goes, what announcement? And there's one story, a little bit saucy. We don't know if it's totally true, but according to one kind of cinematic story, he hands these reporters these slips of paper and then immediately kid you not, hops in a row boat and starts rowing a way before they can say anything, Row row, row your boat.
Speaker 5: That's how I was taught this story in APUs history, and I.
Speaker 1: Humble brag I learned it from my ap teacher. But she said, she said, I'm telling you the version of the story that I like.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say it right now. Considering this guy He was actually pretty into physical fitness too.
Speaker 1: He would like swim naked and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, him rolling away in a boat would seem like something very relaxing to him.
Speaker 3: It's like a slow fade, man. It's like Homer disappearing backwards into the bushes.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It feels like Wes Anderson has made this film.
Speaker 3: It just takes so long to get You see them for so long on the horizon, you know, it's like slowly backing away.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like this Calvin Coolidge's vibe.
Speaker 1: And so Calvin Coolidge kind of retires from public life sort of because he writes an autobiography. He writes articles for magazines of note. He has a nationally syndicated column for a newspaper for a while called Thinking Things Over with Calvin Coolidge, because he's at that point in his career where he feels like he has to put his name in the title of everything. Anyway, I walked down the street from that one. He lives his life until January fifth, nineteen thirty three. It's just after lunch. He usually takes a two hour nap after lunch at this time in his life, but on January fifth, he collapsed he collapses in his bedroom and later doctors conclude he has died from heart failure. His passing comes right before the inauguration of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who, as I mentioned, is the reason we have hard limits on presidential terms in the modern day. But we didn't want to end on a total down note. So instead of closing with that cinematic look at his row boating career to syndicate a columnists switch, we've got to tell you about his presidential pets, because we did an episode on this, and this had to have appeared in that episode, right. He loved dogs and cats.
Speaker 3: He had several by the name of Climber, Tiger and Blackie, which is maybe a little bit problematic now, but it is what it is. I'm not sure which was the dogg or which was the cat in that in that trio.
Speaker 1: I know you didn't name the dog tiger.
Speaker 2: You know what tiger makes sense for the cat.
Speaker 6: I don't know what this guy's this guy's sense of humor.
Speaker 1: Though I know he's a swing I get it.
Speaker 2: But he also had birds.
Speaker 3: Uh And most importantly and delightfully, if you're a fan of something that the internet just gives beautifully now is raccoon content?
Speaker 2: He had a raccoon named Rebecca.
Speaker 3: I think I personally, yeah, I follow like six different raccoon Instagram accounts. They got human hands man. It's weird, but also it's also cute. He got lion cubs too, that's wild lion cubs. He got those as a gift actually from the Mayor of Johannesburg, South Africa, and the White House named the Cubs. I guess they sort of were almost like soft ambassadors, named the Cubs Budget Bureau and tax Reduction.
Speaker 1: All right, well, not every joke is going to land.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: They probably called him Budgie and Taxi, you know, a pet names were.
Speaker 3: But he also had his sort of flagship pet, which was a Collie by the name of Rob Roy, which was a historical war hero I believe in Scotland, the inventor of dubstep. Okay, fair enough, but also a delightful cocktail. Rebecca, the raccoon, though, was less of Calvin's Special Guy and more of Grace's. In fact, you can find a lot of photos of them posing together at the White House.
Speaker 1: Very domesticated, so much so that one day the Coolidge family said, we should get Rebecca a friend. Let's get her another raccoon. We'll name it Ruben. Get it a literation. They're cute. However, Ruben was much less domesticated and much more He's more of a street raccoon, you know what I mean. He was for the streets, he was for the dumpsters.
Speaker 2: But this is for history.
Speaker 1: This is a pretty good look at Calvin Coolidge. There's a lot of stuff we didn't get to, which I think will show up in one of our forthcoming episodes, stuff that got left over.
Speaker 2: We love it. Yeah, well, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: And also in the meantime, if you want to read more about his life following suit with his kind of soft spoken demeanor. His autobiography is I believe, one of the shortest and presidential history.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a series of haiku. It is actually super short. But again a man of few words, the words he chose did have tremendous impact even today in twenty twenty four, I almost said, twenty twenty three, Oh geez, when did we start this show? What was it twenty seventeen, twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: I guess that's right. We talked about that the other day. We've been doing this for over what's five six years.
Speaker 2: Later? This year will be years seven years. Yeah, Oh, the fingers.
Speaker 1: Bargain, the Faustian bargains, come and do. Shout out to anybody who gets that weird joke. I just want to say the time has flown. So grateful to all or ridiculous historians and Noel Max, I'm so grateful to you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this a little bit off air, but this is just one of my favorite things to do, and we hope you enjoy it as well. Folks.
Speaker 2: Oh, the feeling is mutual.
Speaker 3: I can definitely speak for both myself and Max. Even though Max occasionally does a face palm, I think they're good natured face palms, and these face palming out of love.
Speaker 1: I always like to think maybe his hand just smells really good.
Speaker 3: It's possible, especially the cast hands, especially of getting a little ripe. But no, truly I feel the exact same way. I love you both to death and I can't wait till we reconvene. I was thinking this might be a two parter, but I think we we we in the spirit of Calvin himself, exercise the spirit of brevity, and that is so appreciate that. Yeah, a little longer for a one partner, but I think that there was no other way to do.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of stuff to do.
Speaker 5: I joked beforehand, and I'm like, I think ed an episode about Calvin Coolidge.
Speaker 6: We should make sure to go along on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also, you know how it is you got to kill your darlings. I am chock full of dumb facts about baseball hats. I'm hoping they'll fade bye by the time we record our next episode. Big Big thanks to superproducer and research associate for this episode, mister Max Williams Alex Williams, real life brother of the show and biological brother of Alex, who composed this slap and bop.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Chris frostiotis here in spirit, Eves, Jeffcoach, the whole pantheon of ridiculous historians that came before.
Speaker 2: We hope you guys have a really great weekend and life. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.