Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our day Break anchors all around the world. And straight ahead on the program, Wall Street set for another big week of earnings and economic reports. I'm Tom Busby.
Speaker 2: I'll have that story.
Speaker 3: I'm Stephen Caroen and London, who we're piecing together the clues on when the ECB will cut interest rates ahead of its first meeting.
Speaker 2: Of the year. I'm Dog Kristner looking at the risk tied to the meeting of the Bank of Japan.
Speaker 4: I'm Kavid Lyons in Washington, looking ahead to the New Hampshire primary where Nicky Harley is trying to talk former Prestment Trump.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. The business news you need to wrap up your week. Available on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby, and we begin today's program with a focus on earnings. More than seventy companies in the S and P five hundred reporting their latest results this week, and one of the most highly anticipated reports comes on Tuesday from Netflix for a preview where pleased to welcome get the Raganathan, us media analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. Well, we know Netflix has really changed with the ad supported tier that they added last year the crackdown on password sharing. What do you expect to see on Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So what we've really seen with these two new initiatives from Netflix, as you just mentioned, both the ads as well as the password crackdown, has been that they've finally been able to now reinvigorate subscriber gains. And so we saw, of course during the pandemic, we had you know, pull growth that was pulled forward, and then we had the great Netflix correction with the company kind of losing subscribers and now they're back on track. So we actually expect them to or they themselves said that they would post something like about eight point seven to eight point eight million news subscribers in the fourth quarter, that is seasonally their strongest quarter. Just from kind of seeing all the tracking and the trending out there, we think they could easily get to about nine million subscriber gains. So that actually if you kind of then look at the whole year twenty twenty three for them, they're really back to pre pandemic levels. You know, we think they would have about twenty five million new subscriber gains in twenty twenty three. You compare that to about eight to nine million in twenty twenty two, and so it really looks like these two initiatives are paying off for them and paying off in a very big way.
Speaker 1: And where are these subscribers? How many in the US, how many outside the US.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that's that's a really good question. So obviously in the US we think growth had kind of hit a wall. I mean, obviously the market was pretty mature, but the main problem in the US was one is, of course they did not they were not addressing kind of the affordability option, which is something that has been brought back into focus with the APT year. Of course, you had roughly about thirty million free loaders in the US market. So, you know, again we think that growth is back in the US, but majority of the growth, a majority of the subscriber growth is really coming from the international market. So if you kind of look at it, about eighty to ninety percent of new subscriber growth is coming from those overseas markets.
Speaker 1: And are there some countries they still haven't penetrated yet where there's a massive amount of potential customers.
Speaker 6: Oh, absolutely, So if you kind of look at the Asian region, I mean, this is a region which has massive, massive, untapped potential. If you look at Netflix's penetration in the Asian market, and this is excluding China, it is roughly about nineteen to twenty percent, So they are present right now in about twenty percent of all households with a broadband connection. In the US that number is close to about seventy to eighty percent, So obviously there's huge upside for them the Asian market. And then again if you kind of look at Europe as well, in a lot of the Eastern European country, we see that penetration is fairly low, so totally you know, if you look at the European region, it's at about thirty thirty five percent. Again, we see a lot more penetration upside in Europe as well.
Speaker 1: To that point, when I go to Netflix, I see a lot of content coming from India produced in India, I see Australia, Europe, so obviously they have they have a global outlook. Is this original content a hit?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Is something coming from India coming from Asia, coming from Europe in the US and vice versa.
Speaker 6: Yes, it has worked actually really really well for them. So one thing is when you have kind of this global content production machine, one thing is, of course you're able to, you know, appeal to a very vast audience space. It does content, you know, believe it or not, local content, as long as it's made well and as long as it's authentic and has that authentic and genuine feel, it travels really well globally. They actually Netflix actually just released something called, you know, the Watch Report, And if you just kind of take a look at the top one hundred titles, thirty of those top one hundred titles are actually Korean and Spanish language originals, and these are titles that are watched across the world. So that that just goes to tell you how well some of these local language content titles are performing.
Speaker 1: Our thanks to Geet the raganathin US media analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence Now, it's also a busy week on the economic calendar. Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee joins US Now, and Michael, let's start first with jobs, because last week, initial jobless claims fell to the lowest level in over a year, down to one hundred and eighty seven thousand. What is behind that and as we head toward the end of this month, how is January shaping up?
Speaker 7: I think what you have to do is ask the question about what essentially the direction of jobless claims is telling you, because this is still the time of year when we see distortions in the jobless claims numbers because of hiring in four of the last five years. If you leave out the pandemic years when jobless claims were sky high, they went down in that week. And it may be residual seasonality because of the times when we used to hire a lot of people at holidays and then let them go in the middle of January. That happens a lot less these days, So there may be some quirks to this number. That said, when you talk about what the direction of it is, it still suggests that there's a strong labor market out there. Companies are still holding on to employees. And the interesting thing is for January jobs that you're asking about, this was the survey week for January jobs. The jobless claims numbers for this week, so they still suggest we will see reasonable strength in hiring in the month of January.
Speaker 1: Strength in jobs, and we know what that means for inflation. This coming week we get the Fed's preferred read on inflation for last month. What do you know about that? What can you tell us?
Speaker 7: The interesting thing there is that people were worried because the consumer price Index went up a little bit, and that caused people to rethink what the FED might do. But the FED does look at the Personal Consumption Index and it is expected to show much more of a decline than CPI, particularly the core, where there's forecast the economist survey by Bloomberg forecast that we could get down to less than three percent. The headline is already at two point six percent, and if we get down to two point nine percent of something like that on the core, that would be strong evidence to the Fed that they are moving in the right direction. They want to get to two, of course, but they have always said we need to see inflation moving towards our target before we even think about cutting rates. So maybe I'll give them a chance to think about cutting rates. We see inflation fall like.
Speaker 1: That, and despite stubbornly high inflation, we saw retail sales in December, surprise to the upside.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, the inflation has been going away in a lot of the areas that retail sales represent. Goods prices have been deflating, and so that helped, I'm sure a lot with the holiday shopping experience. Not only did people find that things might have been cheaper than they anticipated, but the companies were able to lower prices to attract customers in without a big penalty. The other aspect of the retail number that was good as it has been Philastphy months since the decline in gasoline prices. Gasoline prices have gone down a lot. Retail sales are measured in dollars, so that puts a little bit of weight on the overall number, but it means there's more money available to go into other categories. And we saw a lot of strength in retail sales.
Speaker 1: Strength, retail sales strength and jobs. We got to bump up in manufacturing after the UAW strikes ended. All this leading to the first read, the initial read on fourth quarter GDP and what's your outlook on that it's changing.
Speaker 7: The third quarter was so strong that pretty much there was unanimity that the fourth quarter was going to be relatively weak, and a lot of people, including a number of people at the FED, thought we'd come in to the fourth quarter with growth between one and one and a half percent, perhaps, and last week's numbers suggest that there's more strength in the economy. The Atlanta Fed's GDP now number went from one and a half percent to two point four percent after those retail sales numbers. So if the Atlanta Fed is reasonably accurate, and they get more accurate the closer we get to the release of GDP, then the fourth quarter is going to look fairly strong, and that would set us up for a stronger first quarter, and that is upending some of the thinking about how the economy is going to develop in the first part of the year, and that is maybe pushing back against the idea that the FED would be cutting soon.
Speaker 1: And if it's strong in the fourth quarter, what looking back to twenty twenty three, what would the whole year look like.
Speaker 7: Well, we're looking about three to three and a half percent somewhere in that area for the whole year, which would be very strong, and it would be it would be good good news for the overall economy, good news for the FED, suggesting that they were able to raise rates as high as they did and not send the economy into recession, which may give them hope that they can keep rates high enough for long enough to bring down inflation to two percent without a recession.
Speaker 1: Well our thanks to Bloomberg International Economics and Policy correspondent Michael McKee, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, we head overseas and preview a key interest rate meeting from the European Central Bank. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program a preview of the Bank of Japan's latest policy meeting. But before that, the first European Central Bank meeting of the year happening in the coming days. Markets will be listening closely to President Christine Legard for clues about when to expect interest rate cuts, but recent geopolitical uncertainty is set to further complicate decision making for more. Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak eurobanker Stephen Carroll.
Speaker 3: Tom Inflation in the euro Area ticked up to two point nine percent in December, but it's a far cry from the nine point two percent reading at the end of twenty twenty two. So the focus on this week's European Center Bank meeting well yet again beyond when interest rate cuts might come. It comes at a time when the worlds of monetary policy and geopolitics seem more in linked than ever. In recent days, Christine Legard described the prospect of another Donald Trump presidency in the US as a threat to European interests. It's a topic that came up again when the ECB presidents spoke to Bloomberg's Francine Laqua and Davos. They also talked about the path they had for interest rates. Here's what she had to say.
Speaker 8: We have to stay restrictive for as long as necessary to make sure that we get to that state where we are all saying, okay, confident that it is at two percent medium term. I know some people argue that maybe we are overshooting, maybe we're taking risks. I think the risk would be worse if we went too fast and had to come back to more tightening, because we would have wasted all the efforts that everybody has put in the last fifteen months.
Speaker 9: But this would be again economically or also the trust in central banks. If you get this wrong, does it hurt the credibility.
Speaker 10: Credibility matters.
Speaker 8: Let's face it, when we say we will get to two percent medium term and this will happen in the medium term as we define it.
Speaker 10: If people believe in that, then.
Speaker 8: They should because we will do it.
Speaker 10: It matters.
Speaker 8: It is a component in the sort of chemistry that determines inflation going forward.
Speaker 9: And again, so the time is quite fluid, but there seems to be a majority on the Governing Council that expected probably by the summer, if not in the summer.
Speaker 8: You know, and you've talked to some of them, they have spoken recently, and each of them has their view, which I respect completely. We generally coalesce towards the decisions that we make on the basis of data. Some of them have their local domestic data, They have their respective inflation rates which are different from one country to the other in the Euro Area, where if you look at Portugal, if you look at Germany, it's going to be different, obviously, but it's and it's their job to say, well, it's likely that I would say it's likely too, but I have to be reserved because we are also saying that we are data dependent and that there is still a level of a certainty and some indicators that are not anchored at the level where we would like.
Speaker 10: To see them.
Speaker 8: And don't forget that services, for instance, is still cruising at four percent inflation. Services is the most sort of labor intensive sector of the economy, and it's one that we have to bring down towards two percent. The US election, Yeah, let me have some coffee.
Speaker 10: How arid are you about the US election.
Speaker 8: It's for the American people to decide what they want with their politics, with their government, with their future.
Speaker 10: But obviously we are.
Speaker 8: All concerned about it because the United States is the largest economy, the largest defense country in the world, and has been a beacon of democracy with all its upside and downside. But this is what they should be considering, and of course we cannot interfere with their choice. It's their choice and that's the beauty of democracy. But we have to be extremely attentive and anticipate, just as we do with inflation.
Speaker 10: You know, we do scenarios. What if, what if? Then? What do we do. So.
Speaker 3: That was the ECB president Christine Lagard, speaking to Bloomberg's Francine Laqua in Davos. Well, as we look ahead to this week's Governing Council meeting, let's bring in our ECB reporter Yanaranda, who's in Frankfurt, Yana. Great to have you with us. Can we start with the inflation backdrop, if we bring things right back down to the mechanics of all of this. The number for December did tick up slightly for the Eurozone, but does that really change the overall picture that's facing policymakers when they get together.
Speaker 11: It doesn't really. The pickup was really widely expected. It comes down to a large extent to energy aid and how that you know, plays out in the statistics in Germany. So the pickup in December itself, it doesn't change the inflation outlook one bit. What's true is that price pressures in the Eurozone have come down, and also have come down a bit faster than most people had expected. So the latest projections the ECB put out in December, they see headline inflation back at two percent in the third quarter of next year, that is, in the third quarter of twenty twenty five core a bit later than that, but of course that is far far far ahead in the future if you're a central banker. And that's also one reason why policymakers say they cannot declare victory over inflation just yet. And of course the UK is a good example that there can be set backs, that there can be yeah, that things can go wrong, and of course the risks are plentiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, true, and the risks those inflation trajectory very much in focus. We heard a little bit of what Christine Leguard had to say about that in Davos as well. She's pointing to likely interest rate cuts by the summer. Now, we heard from a lot of ECB policy makers in the past few days in Davos as well. What else have we been hearing in terms of this when question when interest rate cuts might come, Well.
Speaker 11: They seem to coalesce around a red cut in the summer, but they haven't committed to a specific month month. Also, you know, you wouldn't really expect them to at this point in time. What we heard was already a bit more outspoken than I would have expected them to be, to be perfectly honest, simply because the ECB always insists it's not in the business of offering forward guidance, and they have an explanation which you know, I cannot repeat because you know it escapes me all the time, why what they're doing is not forward guidance. But that said, you know, June is, given everything we heard, a pretty good month to focus on, just because it is the start of summer, but also because the ECB will have updated economic projections available at that time that that will just simply show how inflation and economic growth will develop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that the June and July meeting is very much in focus because of course there's that big break between the meeting at the end of July and the next one in mid September. That's been a part of the thought process, and people have been thinking about what defines the exact dates of summer as well, which is the key to this conversation too. There does seem to be that sort of discrepancy between some of the speakers that we've heard from in the past few days, Jokim Nagel talking about him being open to rate cuts this summer, but Robert Holtzman saying that they may not even be coming this year at all. When we think about the conversations and the perhaps arguments that happen within that governing council room as well, what sort of split and opinions are there at the moment among policymakers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, for the most part, people seem to say summer is a good moment when we should really have that discussion and when we should really have that debate, because don't forget that everybody who spoke so far in the past couple of days essentially said it's too soon to have that discussion now. But there were a few outliers, You're right. One that stood out was Robert Holtzmann from Austria who basically said, don't count on raid cuts at all this year because we don't know what wages will be doing, we don't know what geopolitics will be doing. So he's concerned about energy prices, about supply chain disruptions once again because of conflicts in the Middle East, and you know, attacks on chips in the Red Sea, and of course that you know, those concerns happen or you know, you find them with every policy maker, of course, but by the way you weigh them that differs.
Speaker 3: And yeah, It's that sort of detail that we love to get from you ahead of these sorts of events. Our ECB reporter Jana Randau, thank you very much. I'm Stephen Caroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak. You're beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom our thanks to Bloomberg day Break Europe. Banker Stephen Carroll, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we head to Asia and preview another policy meeting, this one from the Bank of Japan' Tom Busby, And this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Busby in New York with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. Now, sometime in the next few months, Japan Central Bank is expected to end the world's last negative interest rate for markets. The question is whether the BOJ might hint at the timing of that. On Tuesday, when officials wrap up a two day policy meeting, Bloomberg's Doug Krisner, co host of Daybreak Asia, takes a closer look Tom.
Speaker 2: The BOJ has kept short term interest rates anchored near zero for the past three decades, but now after thirty plus years of humdrum predictability, things may be about to change. The Japanese bond market, the world's third largest, is sensing a shift in policy. We've got the benchmark nie K two twenty five stock index trading right around a thirty four year high, and brokerages across Tokyo are staffing up, often seeking out older traders who remember when Japan had positive interest rates. The question have markets become overly optimistic about imminent tightening? We're joined now by Bloomberg's Paul Jackson, our economy editor in Tokyo. Paul, thanks for being with us. So let me ask you that question. Our market's too optimistic about an immediate turn from the boj Well.
Speaker 12: I think markets are right to be presuming that a rate hike is in the pipeline early this year. It's the timing that's the critical question. I think at next week's meeting it's going to be too early to go.
Speaker 5: Yet.
Speaker 12: We've had a bad start to the year. Outside the markets. We had this major earthquake in northwestern Japan, over two hundred people dead and still thousands in evacuation centers, followed by the plane disaster at Hanada Airport, So I think under these circumstances, BOJ would not be wanting to raise interest rates in a way that's going to affect a why much wider range of people than kind of tweaks to its yield curve control or something that affects fewer people. So really, I think from this meeting, what we're looking for is signals from Governor Uwaida about when he's going to pull the trigger.
Speaker 2: So we know that Japanese economy has been dealing with inflation for about a year and a half that's been above the boj's two percent target. I'm wondering whether we need to distinguish between the effects of cost push inflation versus demand Paul, is that an important distinction for the BOJ.
Speaker 12: I think that's a very important distinction for the BOJ, and I think you've hit the nail on the head. That is what they're waiting for. They're waiting for the cost push elements of inflation to cool down, and they want to see evidence that there is a demand pull inflation, something that will make this inflation last. Remember, Japan's been looking for good inflation for decades now, and what it's keying in on is a positive growth cycle that sees wages helping to drive prices, because if wages are going up as well as prices, then consumption can also increase. If wages aren't going up and you've got inflation, then you've got bad inflation and you've got a problem for the economy.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you touched on wages there, because I think the BOJ would be a little encouraged by what appears to be a stronger annual wage negotiation result. Do you think that's a market positive if you're making the bet that the pivot is sometime maybe if it's not this month, it's in the month of April, and it's due largely because we're seeing movement in terms of wage increases.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think we've got some good anecdotal evidence of wage increases. We've got Eon with a seven percent gain for part timers, Namura offering sixteen percent for younger employees, a Tokyo Electron a forty percent for starters at the company. These are big figures, but these are also big companies. What the BOJ wants to see is there a wider range of companies pushing up wages too, especially smaller companies. Now, there's an annual spring negotiation between companies and unions and this is known as the Shunto, and the result is due on March fifteenth. The initial result of these annual wage negotiations, and some former BOJ executives are expecting the figure to be as high as four percent this year compared with three point five eight percent last year. And if we have that kind of figure that I think the BOJ is going to be in a position to move. So then the question is would they move in March or in a April. I think the result comes out just a couple of days before the March meeting, so it's maybe a little bit tight on the time. I think the Bank of Japan will want to assess the information and any updates showing gains for smaller companies and make the decision in April, which is the start of a new financial year. They'll also have new price forecasts. The timing looks good for them.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering what the first step would be other than preparing the market rhetorically and giving ample warning of a move. I'm wondering whether or not it's yield curve control again and a modest adjustment and leaving the negative rate intact for a while longer, or maybe as early as April. We're dealing with the removal of the negative rate. Which do you think it is well.
Speaker 12: I think this is another key question. I think there's a lot of thought. They're trying to do everything at the same time. I think this meeting in January, what we're looking for is kind of verbal signaling from the governor that we're getting closer to the target, not a little bit closer, but closer to the target. I think that would be a key steer. When we get to April, would they get rid of all these yield curve control this yield curve control formulation. Then there's a good chance of that, But I think the main focus really is on the negative rate, and I think that's likely to go zero in April. And there is an argument that the boj might want to wait to see those wage increases feed in to an optick into inflation and then make the decision in July. But don't forget, we've got the FED, the ECB, you know, considering possible rate cuts. I think the effect on markets would be larger if they wait until then. So again it's another sign that April maybe is the month.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you brought up that point, because one of the things I think markets have been struggling with globally right now is perhaps the idea that maybe they were a little too optimistic that the FED was going to be aggressive in cutting rates. So we've had the market kind of dialing back a bit from that notion, and as a result, it's engendered a little bit of strength here for the dollar. In the flip side of that has created a tremendous weakness in the Japanese How do you think that yen weakness will impact the boj's thinking.
Speaker 12: Well, I think it needs to get a little bit weaker. Yet, if you remember, in the latter part of last year, we're getting very close to levels over one fifty to close to one five to two, and I think that's the kind of level we need to get to again before the BOJ starts worrying about the yen levels. So I think at the moment that isn't going to be a key consideration, but if it continues in that direction, sure that will become part of the calculus.
Speaker 2: So you're in Tokyo I'm curious. We had the Tokyo CPI reading a little while back. What is life like in Tokyo right now? As consumers kind of moved through the economy, are they concerned about inflation? Is it registering high in people's minds?
Speaker 12: Yes, it certainly is. I mean it's a novel concept for many people who've never seen price rises like this before. There's a lot of confusion about it, bewilderment, surprise, and so I think in terms of the expectations of Hey, I want my job. I don't want to be risking a job, so I don't mind having not much of a pay raise too. No, no, no, I want my job and I want a decent pay raise this year.
Speaker 2: We'll have to see what happens this week when the BOJ conducts its meeting. Paul, thanks so much for being with us, Paul Jackson, Bloomberg Economy editor in Tokyo, helping us preview the BOJ meeting. I'm Doug Krisner. You can join Brian Curtison myself weekdays here for Bloomberg Day Acasia, beginning at nine am in Hong Kong eight pm on Wall Street. Tom.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Doug and coming up here on Bloomberg day Break weekend. The Iowa caucuses are over. Now it's on to New Hampshire for the Republican presidential hopefuls. Who's in the lead will the granted states independent voters change the trajectory of the race. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. The New Hampshire GOP primary, the first in the nation, is this Tuesday, and it could be a make or break contest for Nicky Haley or Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 7: For more.
Speaker 1: Let's head to our Bloomberg ninety nine one news room in Washington and Bloomberg Balance of Power co host Kaylee Lines.
Speaker 4: That's right, Tom, Iowa brought us the first real contest in the race for the twenty twenty four Republican presidential nomination and to blow out victory for former President Donald Trump. But that was a caucus. New Hampshire brings us the first in the nation primary, and it also maybe could bring former UN Ambassador Nicki Haley's last real chance to eat into the front runner's domination. Bloomberg senior national politics reporter Nancy Cooke will be making the trip up to Manchester with me to cover it, and she's joining me now, So Nancy first, Nicki Haley is framing this as essentially a two person race between her and Trump. There's a lot of buzz out there about her ability to potentially upset Trump in the state of New Hampshire, but the polling we have seen over this past week suggests she's still lagging behind him by a not insignificant margin. So how hard is this really going to be for her to pull off?
Speaker 13: It's going to be hard to pull off, honestly. I mean the polling is a little bit all over the place, So the margin between them is anywhere from seven percentage points to like sixteen percentage points, depend on which recent poll you look at. But the takeaway is she's still behind in all of these polls and Trump is leading her. The New Hampshire electorate does favor her because you know, it's moderates, it's centrist Republicans, it's independents and Democrats who can switch party affiliation to vote. They would have already had to have done that in the primary, and that's a group that she has really targeted with her candidacy. But similar to Iowa, Trump's grip on GOP, the Republicans in New Hampshire is still really really strong and Haley just hasn't sort of been able to chip into that. So what she's doing is she's bringing new voters into the Republican primary, like the Independence and the Democrats, but she's having a hard time sort of making inroads into his base of support. And that's what she will need to do to actually win.
Speaker 4: If she doesn't win in New Hampshire, could Trump essentially have the nomination in the bag by Wednesday morning, Well, I mean.
Speaker 13: That's really what they're hoping, you know. So they are hoping to have, you know, they had a blowout victory in Iowa, They're hoping to have a blowout victory in New Hampshire. He pulling shows that he is completely dominant in South Carolina, her home state where she was governor, and so they just want to sort of kick off these first four contests including Nevada, and just showed that they're totally dominant and basically have the nomination wrapped up by mid March after Super Tuesday, and that would mean sort of him earning enough delegates along the way from all these garist contests to win it.
Speaker 4: Ron DeSantis technically is still in the race as well, after he came in number two in Iowa, but it seems like he's kind of writing off New Hampshire since he's pulling so low. They're diverting resources to South Carolina. Are we even really going to be talking about him in the Kranit state?
Speaker 13: Well, so he is having events. One of the super PACs supporting his candidacy called Never Back Down, is having events in New Hampshire. I think they're having some today, they're having some over the weekend. But New Hampshire is not really Ronda Santa's fistine, and it hasn't been for months. You know, he's never really advertise there. He doesn't have a big contingent there. You know, after he won the i after he came in third or second excuse me, in the Iowa caucuses, he went directly to South Carolina. You know, it's just not an electorate that really goes with his ideology. You have to remember in Florida he signed a six peek abortion van and that's not something that New Hampshire voters the majority of them like or are interested in and so policy wise, he doesn't really match up there. And one of the most recent polls I saw had him pulling at like six percent with it, whereas Trump is over fifty. So you can just tell, I mean, he just doesn't have a lot of juice there.
Speaker 4: Well, I certainly am looking forward to hopefully not having to break out my heated gloves like I did in Iowa. Nancy Gug Bloomberg Senior national politics reporter, thank you so much, and Tom, keep your eye on the Granite State.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Kaylee.
Speaker 1: That was Bloomberg Balance of Power co host Kaylee Lines reporting from our Bloomberg ninety nine to one newsroom in Washington. And you can hear Balance of Power weaked noon to two pm on Bloomberg Radio. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on the markets, overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Busby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.