Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast, The Complex Tannin in your glass of puzzle pino noir. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guest for the week, the legendary Mike Reese, longtime writer for The Simpsons and author of the new book What Am I Doing here? A Simpsons writer visits the world's hell holes? So you don't have to thank you, Mike, and welcome.
Speaker 2: So nice to be here. When I heard about the podcast, they said, why haven't they called me? I was really hurt, so here I am.
Speaker 1: We were intimidated. That's why you're just too good a puzzler. I mean, well, that's it. People know that you're a comedy a legend, but they might not know you have. Let me just go quickly some bona fides of your puzzling. Do puzzles in the Simpsons writer's room before starting a script. You are a member of the National Puzzlers League, the oldest puzzle organization in the world. You've written puzzles for them, and you include puzzles and puzzle themes in the Simpsons. So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I do. Can I give you two more? I've written about twenty Will Schwartz puzzles for the NPR Sunday Puzzle. That's yeah, that's a big one. That's the one. People who don't care about any of my TV work get very excited. Oh, I heard you on NPR and I won an Edgar Award for a mystery story, which is a Time one mystery. I got an Edgar and I said, well, I'm never doing that again.
Speaker 1: Can you give us one example of an NPR and hope that Will Swartz doesn't hear it ensue us because they're very sure.
Speaker 2: A nice, easy one, reasonable one. It's a two word name of a very popular TV show. The first word contains the first name of a of a comedic actor, and the last second word is a homophone for his last name.
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right, we're not gonna How about we'd wait until the end to give the answer, so that that's you gotta listen, You gotta listen to the whole seven minutes. People, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you also once told me I interviewed for you for my book The Puzzler because you are and you told me that you think that jokes and puzzles are sort of kissing cousins. They're like in the same genre.
Speaker 2: They're so close you know the other. The only difference is when you're writing a joke, it's like doing a puzzle but not being sure there's a solution to it. And Simpsons were always coming up with funny names for stores, and you're just going, Okay, what is the overlap between let's say a gun a place that sells guns and popular names of stores, and you're just looking, what's the overlap, what's the connect what's the ven diagram? And you know that's how they came up with blood Bath and beyond for a gun shot perfect.
Speaker 1: That is an excellent example. Well, in honor of that, we have a puzzle today that combines the Simpsons, a comedy powerhouse with puzzles. We call it Master of Your Don't Mean, which I know is not a Simpsons reference, so it's a little confused, but I liked it, so I went with it. And the answer, I'm going to give you some clues, and the answers to all of the clues are going to be a word with the sound dope in there somewhere. But to get the highest score, and you want the score because there are no prizes. We request that you pronounce all of the does in the style of Homer Simpson.
Speaker 2: I will do best.
Speaker 1: I know you're not You're not Dan.
Speaker 2: I will do my best.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Oh, isn't that awful?
Speaker 1: Okay? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So, I mean this is not a clue. But just if if the answer were condominium, you might say con dominium.
Speaker 2: That would be a pretty easy clue. Condominium.
Speaker 1: Okay, please, are you ready? Okay? Homer might not be so good at this number puzzle, but Lisa probably is.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that would have to be Sue. Don't you have.
Speaker 1: A good dough? You downplayed it. You told me that is impressive. Okay, how about this? Homer wore one of the when he went to the prom. He went without Marge. You might remember, because she broke his heart by going with someone else, so he wore this to his prom.
Speaker 2: Well, I wrote that episode, and I know he wore a TUXI don't.
Speaker 1: I love it? And I loved that episode. Homer and Marge took a trip to Italy where they used this type of vehicle. I don't know in Venice.
Speaker 2: That's the key. They they must have taken a gond.
Speaker 1: They took a gon yes unless you two.
Speaker 2: It gits old, doesn't it? Okay?
Speaker 1: We got it's just starting, it's just getting it right. We've got four more. Uh. By the way, I looked up how Dan Castellaneda. Is that how you say his name Dan? How he came because he is the origin of Joe? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: That is correct? It was written in the script just as annoyed grunt, just the stage direction, and he came up with don't. But he's very quick to credit that he just took it from an old nineteen thirties movie comedian named Jimmy Finlayson. And if you watch old Laurel and Hardy movies, you see this this beefy man in the movies going don't don't. And in fact, then there's a nineteen fifties Looney Tunes cartoon and it's about a family of bears, but they're a lot like the Simpsons, and the bear father also says don't.
Speaker 1: Oh. Interesting. Well, I looked up on YouTube the Laurel and Hardy actor doing it, and his is a longer, though his, I feel is more like do yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Dan is very generous with credit on that that is the origin story.
Speaker 1: Homer is not so good with shaving, so in the afternoon he often has one of these, Oh.
Speaker 2: I think he has a five o'clock shadow.
Speaker 1: Don't exactly. A couple more, when Bart thought Krusty the Clown was dead, he might have sent this type of note to Krusty's family.
Speaker 2: If he weren't Bart, he would have sent a condoldolence.
Speaker 1: No excellent, all right. Two more Bart skipped classes at the Springfield Martial Arts Academy. The local.
Speaker 2: Uh oh oh, the local do joe exactly.
Speaker 1: And finally, when Homer went to a restaurant to celebrate with Marge, he said to the waiter, bring me your second least expensive bottle of champagne. I remember that because that is also my strategy for ordering.
Speaker 2: Yes, so did you know I'm going to interject that's the most overpriced bottle in any restaurant is the second cheapest bottle because that's what people order, So that's it's much much cheaper in value, and then they mark it way up because so many people like us order it.
Speaker 1: So it's a bad strategy.
Speaker 2: It is a terrible strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense because Homer, you know, he probably does not use the best strategy. Well, all right, thank you for that news I can use. I will stop using that strategy. But if he didn't order champagne, he might have ordered this red wine from France.
Speaker 2: Oh, he would have ordered a or dope.
Speaker 1: That's it. Excellent. Well, thank you. I should have come up with a dough pun. You can come up with one. But you did great. And where can people find more?
Speaker 2: Mike Greece, Well, yeah, I guess you can listen to my podcast. Everyone has a podcast. Mine is called What Am I Doing Here? And they're short like this if you like a short podcast, just little fifteen minute stories of my horrendous exotic travel that I take. But I also hope you'll pick up the book version of it. It's called What Am.
Speaker 1: I Doing Here?
Speaker 2: You can get it on Amazon. It's a big cinder block of a book. You could kill a man with my book.
Speaker 1: So that is yes, if you want to commit violence, this is a good weapon and it's funny and interesting. I love it. Well, thank you, Mike, And we're actually going to talk more about your travels next episode. Oh okay, and before we go, Mike, what is the answer to that tricky puzzle you wrote for NPR.
Speaker 2: Yes, or just a reminder. It's a two word TV show title. First word contains the first name of a comic actor. Second word is a homophone of his last name, and it's American idol, which contains Eric idol.
Speaker 1: Oh. That's good. That's good.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: I did not get it. I had an excuse. I was busy giving you a puzzle. Well, thank you for that buff As always for the puzzlers at home, a little extra credit. Homer has a similar body type to this actor who has made offers you can't refuse and who could have been a contender, the later, older version of this actor, by the way, not the young version. Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe, and also if you're enjoying the show, please tell friends, spread the word, give ratings. The Puzzler Podcast will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hello, Puzzlers, this is Chief Officer Greg Pliska, and I'm here to deliver to you the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played odd one out where we gave a collection of items and you had to tell us which one does not belong for the extra credit, I listed four states, Delaware, Hawaii, Minnesota, and West Virginia. Now, to find the odd one out, you need to take the state abbreviations, which are DE, HI, MN, and w V. And now you've probably figured out that the odd one out is West Virginia because the other three have the letters in their abbreviation in alphabetical order, D E, H, I, M N, but West Virginia has them in reverse alphabetical order. I hope you enjoyed, and I hope you'll play again with us soon