Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast. The CVV number in your daily puzzle credit card. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guest, the legendary Mike Greese, longtime writer for The Simpsons and author of the new book What Am I Doing here? A Simpsons writer visits the world's hell hos. So you don't have to welcome Mike.
Speaker 2: Great to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm delighted to have you. And as Mike g Reese fans know, maybe some other benighted souls do not know. You are a huge traveler. How many countries are you up to now?
Speaker 3: I am at one hundred and thirty nine countries and I'm actually about to pick up five or six more next week.
Speaker 1: Which are those?
Speaker 2: Guess ever?
Speaker 3: I'm on a cruise and hitting a bunch of Caribbean islands, trying to hit them all.
Speaker 2: But it's just the way my life is.
Speaker 1: Words, cracking them up. And then you write books and do a podcast about your travels, and not the parts that are fun, the parts that are painful for you because we like to see you.
Speaker 3: They're painful for me, they're fun for other people. It's a fun funny podcast about my misery.
Speaker 2: But you'll I do. You don't have to say nice short podcast. This is for you. What am I doing here?
Speaker 1: Well, this in honor of that is a travel puzzle and all of the answers are names of countries, but the clue contains terrible puns on the country name, so the answer will be a combination of two words that punnily create a country's name. So, for instance, if I said, after a long Christmas day, Santa clause went back to the north blank blank, took a nap, what would that be?
Speaker 2: I think that would be Poland.
Speaker 1: Exactly North Pole and took a nap. You combine them, you get Poland. By the way, I just read that section of your book on the North Pole.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it's not many people have made that trip. There've only been one hundred ships that have made it to the North Pole. And I was on one of them and just very quickly. It was a nuclear Russian icebreaker with no entertainment on board. So one day the only thing they when they saw people getting bored, they said, well you can tour the nuclear core of the ship, and they let me in there. I got to touch the nuclear core and now I can't have children.
Speaker 1: That is a wonderful little landmark. You got to see. You were also disappointed there is no actual North Pole, which seems it's crazy, like that's a missed opportunity for the North Pole Tourist Bureau.
Speaker 3: This there's a pole at the South Pole. Some Americans on an air Force base put one up. The North Pole is just floating ice, so there's no way to really put a good pole there. But in the nineteen fifties, these guys built a big candy cane striped pole for the North Pole.
Speaker 2: They put it in parades all over America.
Speaker 3: And then they had no endgame, so they just put it in a plane. They flew over the North Pole and they pushed it out of the airplane and it's never been seen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't seem like they planned ahead so well.
Speaker 2: They did not think it through.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: It would be funny if it had fallen and like killed a polar bear or something like that.
Speaker 1: Or Santa Claus. Maybe. Yeah, all right, here's your first clue. I love the vowels a io and you and sometimes even why but I blank blank.
Speaker 2: Hey, I own you, but I E jipped, oh.
Speaker 1: I love the vowels A, I O and you but I blank oh, oh, I hate E exactly, I hate E yes exactly.
Speaker 2: You got all right, I'll warm into this.
Speaker 1: You got it all right? Uh. If your Alexa is broken, you can always get out your phone and ask blank blank question.
Speaker 2: That would be you can ask Siri.
Speaker 1: A question, exactly have you been to Syria?
Speaker 3: I have been to Syria and I got there just under the wire. It was one of the loveliest places in the world with the people on Earth, and so it makes it extra sad. What's what's been happening there? These are literally the finest people I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 1: So you wouldn't go there now, don't recommend?
Speaker 2: Well I would, but.
Speaker 1: Homer Simpson voice actor Castellanita did me wrong, and I am going to take him to court. I've decided to blank blank.
Speaker 3: There's another place I've been that nobody goes, which is I will sue Dan exactly. Sue Sue Dan is one of the most interesting places in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was it like?
Speaker 3: What it was like is nobody goes there, nobody visits, and it's but they act like they're overrun with tourists. They're just they just are completely deluded.
Speaker 2: They go live.
Speaker 3: I've never seen the place so crowded and there's nobody there.
Speaker 1: Well maybe you being there made of crowded like you.
Speaker 2: I guess. So one is a crowd.
Speaker 3: And they have more pyramids than Egypt. And they have so many pyramids. They don't care what you do with them. You can climb them. I slept in one one night. It's it's a beautiful place.
Speaker 1: You slept in, like the tomb of the Pharaoh from from that era.
Speaker 2: Well it was.
Speaker 3: They're not huge pyramids, but you know that's it. They're not guarding them. They got they got pyramids like like Seattle has coffee showers.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So they're not big, but they got a lot of them, Sam, they got a lot fascinating. I'd love to go someday. All Right, this one you said you hope there was no trivia. I'm gonna give you one that has a little trivia, but I'm gonna back it up with a non trivia. My favorite flock of seagulls song is probably blank blank so far away or Wow. Okay, Since I'm guessing you're not an expert on eighties bands. Here's one that's not trivia. When I was on time to class, I walked when I was late blank blank.
Speaker 2: Oh oh okay, I do remember this song. Wasn't that great? Yes? When I was late for class.
Speaker 1: I ran exactly, I ran.
Speaker 3: I ran as another beautiful country. I really recommend people visit, and you can read all about it in the book.
Speaker 2: They're all they're all covered.
Speaker 1: It does seem that the punniest names are from the Middle East, at least in this game. So all right, last one. If you are a dove and you want to be heard, don't make a sound when it's noisy. Instead before you blank blank until it's quiet.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's I've been there too. It's if you if you want to whatever, and I'm a dove, I will coop. Wait exactly, isn't that it? It's kuwait? I forget that.
Speaker 1: I was waiting for it.
Speaker 2: Got it? They?
Speaker 1: Yeah, put it together? You got it?
Speaker 2: What do you want me to coop?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: That was a good coup. You do a good dough and you do it. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, kudos to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, that's why you look at the legend. Well as expected, you did great And where can people find more of your thoughts on travel.
Speaker 3: As you can see, I'm shamelessly hyping my butt. Uh what am I doing here? You can get that on Amazon and that's pretty much it. And if you're too cheap for that, you can listen to the podcast what Am I Doing here? Which is available everywhere. I'm basically I have one title excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, before we before we wrap up, as always, for you puzzlers at home, here is your extra credit puzzle. If you're going to make beer, you'll need some hops, some blank, a lot of water, and a fermenttor. All right, that is a country? Are you shaking your nodding your head like you get.
Speaker 2: It or I do not get it. I'm glad you didn't ask that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good. These are supposed to be a little harder. It's just a bit of a stretch. If you're gonna make beer, you'll need some hops, some blank blank, a lot of water, and a fermentor. Puzzlers, Thank you for listening, and don't forget to subscribe. Please tell your friends, please rate us, and come back tomorrow where we will meet for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 4: Hello, Puzzlers. Greg Pliska here up from the Puzzle Lab with the answer to the extra credit from last episode. We've played a game with Mike Grease all about Homer Simpson's famous don't phrase. Every answer has that sound in it, but we asked Mike to answer as if he was making the Homer do sound. The clue we gave you for extra credit was, Homer has a similar body type to this actor who made offers you can't refuse and who could have been a contender. That, of course, is the great Marlon Brando. Marlon Brando with a little reference to his roles in The Godfather and on the Waterfront. I hope you all got that one. Thanks for playing along. We'll catch you next time.