Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin in the Middle East. It is being called the worst single day death toll for the Israeli military since the war against Hamas began in October. We get the latest from Bloomberg's Rosland Matheson.
Speaker 4: There was a serious attack on Israeli soldiers yesterday in Gas and we know about twenty one of them have been killed. They were looking to have explosives to demolish homes in the area when they were fired upon by rocket propelled grenade. Will that change the feeling inside Israel about the war?
Speaker 3: Probably not, Bloomberg's ros Mathison says. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Natan Yahoo is saying that the army will fight on until quote absolute victory. Meanwhile, three other Israeli soldiers were killed in a separate incident in han Yunis, bringing the total one day death toll to twenty four. Israel's military now says it has that southern Gaza city surrounded.
Speaker 2: Now staying in the Middle East, the US is signaling it intends to way just sustained campaign against Hoothy's in Yemen, Bloomberg said, Ed Baxter has that story.
Speaker 5: The latest attacks against eight sites hitting underground that the US has housed, arms and surveillance systems intelligence. It says the US UK operation did major damage and as setback Hoothy efforts to carry out attacks on US military and shipping of the Red Sea. The joint statement says, let us reiterate our warning to Hoothy leadership. We will not hesitate to defend lives and the free flow of commerce. The Iran backed Hoothy's also issued a statement saying the new aggression will not go unpunished. Ed Baxter Bloomberg Radio, All.
Speaker 3: Right, Ed, thank you.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: Back here in the US, it is all about presidential politics. This is primary day in New Hampshire, and both Donald Trump and Nikki Haley have been urging their supporters said get out and vote.
Speaker 7: Get out of bed and just get to vote, Grab your neighbor, grab everybody you gotta you gotta go out because we have to win by big more margins.
Speaker 3: For The former president led a rally last night in Laconia, New Hampshire, while the former South Carolina governor made her case to voters in Salem.
Speaker 8: Chaos follows him, and we can't be a country in disarray and have a world on fire and go.
Speaker 9: Through four more years of chaosk because we won't survive it.
Speaker 3: The latest Real Clear Politics average shows Nicki Haley trailing Donald Trump by about eighteen percentage points in the Granite State. Bloomberg's Mike Shephard has more from Manchester.
Speaker 10: New Hampshire's famous for surprises, and yet I think that we are heading toward what could be another Trump victory based on the polling that we're seeing ahead of the actual primary kicking off.
Speaker 3: And Bloomberg's Mike Shepherd notes the primary did kick off at midnight on the East Coast in tiny Dixville Notch, New Hampshire, where all six votes in that tiny village went to Nicky Haley. Join us for a special edition of Balance of Power Today live from New Hampshire. Joe Matthew and Kaylee Lines will bring us the latest all day long, starting at noon to two pm Eastern Time, then again from the Granite State, and tune into our New Hampshire primary special coverage tonight at eight pm Wall Street Time. You can hear and watch it all live on Bloomberg Radio and television.
Speaker 2: And Nathan turning to the markets now. Futures are a little changed today after stocks closed at another record high. Meanwhile, Bill Gross has some advice for the FED stop winding down its balance sheet and start cutting interest rates. We spoke yesterday with the co founder of Pimco.
Speaker 6: The Fed should lower interest rates over the next six to twelve months. Real interest rates are simply too high. The ten year reel interest rate is one point eight percent, which historically is very restrictive.
Speaker 2: Bill Gross also said stocks are too expensive relative to the level of real yields.
Speaker 3: Man Amy Goldman Sachs chief economist John Hatzius also thinks the Fed could start cutting rates. He says a March cut quote would make sense. He spoke with Bloomberg from Hong Kong.
Speaker 11: The Fed is on its way to achieving the soft landing. Obviously no guarantees, but I like what I'm seeing.
Speaker 3: Goldman Sachs Chief economist John Hatzey says an easing in March would be consistent with the trajectory of consumer prices and comments last month from Fed share Jpel that the central bank would like to cut before inflation returns to two percent.
Speaker 2: It is generally known that happy workers tend to be productive workers. Bloomberg's Jeff Ballinger reports on new research that shows the opposite is also true.
Speaker 11: Gallup estimates disgruntled employees cost American companies one point nine trillion dollars in lost productivity in twenty twenty three. The report says more workers feel detached from their employers in the aftermath of the pandemic, in part because they no longer know what is expected of them. The stakes are high for companies. Engaged workers increase productivity, sales, and profits, and they're less likely to leave. Gallup says half of all workers now put forth minimum effort, something called quiet quitting. F Bullinger, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff thanks. Heading overseas, Bloomberg News has learned Chinese authorities are considering a package of measures to stabilize the slumping stock market. More on that from Bloomberg China Government editor Jill Desis in Hong Kong.
Speaker 12: The idea would be to mobilize about two hundred and eighty billion dollars worth of funds, mainly from offshore accounts of state owned businesses. So the idea would be this is all part of a stabilization fund. They would use this money to buy shares onshore through the Hong Kong Exchange length to the mainland.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Jill Lisis says a gauge of Chinese stocks listed in Hong Kong rose on the news by two point eight percent.
Speaker 2: Staying in Asia, the Bank of Japan is keeping its negative rate for the time being. Policy Makers maintained the banks er point one percent short term rate and kept yield curve control parameters intact after a two day meeting. Speaking at a press conference after the decision, boj Governor Kazuo Uweeda said that uncertainties related to the outlook for prices still remain high. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker. Good morning John, Yeah.
Speaker 13: Good morning Aamy. While lawmakers negotiate new policy at the Southern border, the Supreme Court has issued a ruling concerning policing of the border. That story in this report from Bloomberg's Nancy Lyons.
Speaker 8: The Supreme Court says it will allow federal border agents to cut razor wire that Texas installed to discourage crossings. That's while a lawsuit makes its way through the court system. The Justices, by a five to four vote, granted an emergency appeal from the Biden administration, which has been in an escalating standoff with Texas over the handling of the border. The razor wire was installed at the request of Texas Governor Greg Abbott. In Washington, Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 13: Democrats in New Hampshire are calling un officials to investigate some suspicious robo calls that a Hampshire Attorney General's office says it's investigating reports of an apparent robo call but used artificial intelligence to mimic President Biden advising people in the state not to vote in the primary. One of Boeing's biggest customers has lost confidence in the playmaker's ability to overcome the ongoing quality lapses that climax this month with a midair emergency in Alaska Airlines Flight United Airlines chief executive officer Scott Kirby has been venting his frustrations with management to colleagues and voicing his concerns over the handling of the max grounding in California, rain ripped through San Diego from North County to South Beach Mende, which led to flooding and rescues, as well as devastated homeowners.
Speaker 11: All my collectors, valuable cars, everything have been collected since South Style Everything's gone.
Speaker 13: Cars were trapped in the water from the storm. Traffic was stopped. I fifteen was closed for a while. The Dana Farber Cancer Institute, that's a leading Harvard Medical School affiliated teaching center, is seeking retractions of six studies and corrections on another. Thirty one papers a bit allegations that some of its senior researchers falsified data. A spokesperson said, well, Harvard Medical School doesn't comment on individual circumstances. It's fully committed to safeguarding the integrity of its research. Global news twenty four hours a day and whatever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm John Tucker. This he is Bloomberg Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, John, and we do bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Noow on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com, plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 7: Amy was at night at Big Men's scoring a lot of points in the NBA. In Minnesota, the Timberwolves call All Anthony Town scored sixty two points. He made ten three pointers. All the Timberwolves were upset by Charlotte. In Philadelphia, Joe L. M Beats scored seventy. He had fifty nine while still in the third quarter. The Sixers beat the Spurs for their six straight win. M Beat shot twenty four of forty one, only made one to three. He was twenty one of twenty three from the free throw line. Celtics won at Dallas one nineteen to one. Ten Jason Tatum scored thirty nine and Milwaukee's winning Detroit thirty one points in a triple double. Piannis sun to the Compo and Phoenix's win over Chicago forty two points for Kevin Durant. Brewins made it five straight wins. They beat Winnipeg four to one. Kyleege hoops North Carolina, now ranked third eight tozero in the ACC Easy went over wake for US. Kansas dropped US seventh of the rankings. Jayhawks did win last night over Cincinnati out of the semifinals for Nobak Djokovic at the Australian oer For He took out the American tailor Fritz in four sets. Fritz is now zero to nine lifetime against Djokovic. A struggle for Coco Goff. She was down five to one in the opening sets. She rallied a win and a tiebreaker, then lost a second set tiebreaker. She beat Mark da Kostyuk of Ukraine six to two in the third set. We'll find out today who's going to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Adrian Beltre expected to shoe win in this first year on the ballot. Joe Mauer may join him. Billy Wagner and Todd Helton came close last year. John Stash that went Bloomberg.
Speaker 14: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Day Break.
Speaker 3: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. On this primary day in New Hampshire, both Donald Trump and Nikki Haley have made their final pitches to the voters and what is now down to a two person race for the Republican presidential nomination. And joining us now from New Hampshire is Bloomberg's Lord Davison, part of our political team covering today's primary and the race. To Laura, thanks again for being with us. So we've heard from both Trump and Haley in their final Granite State rallies. Where's the enthusiasm?
Speaker 15: Well, both Haley and Trump gave these very dramatic speeches last night. Hailey's main argument was that Trump is chaos and America can't survive another four years of chaos. Trump then followed with a big rally, of a very raucous rally with lots of protesters and yelling and even some canon slogans being yelled during during pauses in his speech, and he ended in a way that he never really has before. He played the sort of low level, almost trance like music and kind of got quiet and then went through this long list of grievances. If you know we are a nation in decline, we are a nation of open borders or you know, criminals are crossing, and so this was, you know, different than how he has ended all of his speeches, but he really have made the case and tried to project the air of inevitability that he would be the one to win in New Hampshire today and quickly seal up this nomination.
Speaker 3: Interesting to think about this sort of sinister and to Trump Rowley, what does that tell you about potentially where he sees things going in this race.
Speaker 15: He said very explicitly last night that he believes that he thinks that that Hayley will drop out very quickly. You know, we'll see the results tonight will really determine that the future of her campaign. If she is close to Trump, or even beats Trump, it's very likely she will stay in the next major contest in this race is in South Carolina, her home state, and not for another month, so that gives a lot of opportunity for you know, potentially the polls to swing in her favor. You know, right now she's trailing Trump significantly, so if she doesn't do well tonight, that would signal you know that her campaign, her window of opportunity is closing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we've been reported, howarding the polls show former President Trump with a double digit lead over Nikki Haley in New Hampshire is something like eighteen percentage points in the latest Real Clear Politics average. Are those polls necessarily reflective of the sort of moderate and independent outlook of the voter base in New Hampshire.
Speaker 15: One of the things about New Hampshire that's a little bit tricky to measure are One is they don't have any live voter calling polls like we had in Iowa. Those are known to be the most accurate, but they're also incredibly expensive to do, and they just don't have any in the state. So that's one issue. The second is New Hampshire is different in how it votes from many places and that you have a large number of what they call undeclared voters. Is are you know, essentially independents and neither Republicans nor Democrats, so they can go in on primary day and request the ballot of either party. So because of that, there's a lot of you know, gray area on you who who's going to go in, who's actually going to vote in which race, and how are they going to break. Independence in New Hampshire aren't like independence in other states where they tend to be more centrist, more moderate. Independence here run the whole gamut. So it's just a difficult way to sort of determine, you know, if they're going to go Trump, if they're going to go Haley, if they're going to stay home, or if they're going to go for someone else, like Dean Phillips, for example, who's challenging Biden on the Democratic side.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about Dean Phillips on the Democratic side, because we have been in discussions with the congressman who's mounting this primary challenge in a roundtable discussion with Bloomberg News. What's his pitch.
Speaker 15: So he's saying that Biden has done a good job, but his time is up and it's time for him to pass the torch to a new generation of leaders. And Phillips is he's a businessman. He's a little bit more moderate than Phillips or than Biden. Though he's not particularly well known. You know, he's been in Congress since twenty eighteen from Minnesota, kind of came in kind of in a wave of anti Trump backlash. The reality here is he does not have a chance to unseat Biden here, but he's sort of running his campaign is sort of to raise a you know, a protest to Biden running again after he said that he would only serve one term. So what you're looking for here is, you know, what percentage of the vote does Phillips get, you know, and that could really signal, you know, kind of Biden's strength or lack thereof with Democrats.
Speaker 3: All Right, lots to watch as primary day is officially underway in New Hampshire. Laura Davison of Bloomberg News, thanks for joining us giving us a look at what's going on in the Granite State. Now, we want to turn to a conversation with the co founder of pim Co Bill Gross, the self described bond king, who says the Federal Reserve should stop winding down its balance sheet now and start cutting interest rates soon to avoid a US recession. In a conversation with Bloomberg's Remain Bostic and Alex Steele, Bill Gross also said the yield curve has to go positive in order to produce that stable economy.
Speaker 6: A negative yield curve and I use the two to ten year spread, which is about a negative twenty three or twenty four, it's been as high as fifty to seventy five basis points. So it's less negative now. But when you think about it common sensically, when you think about it, capitalism and a finance based economy, which is what we have, can't really do well when you can get a higher return for less risk. That's not the basis of a capitalistic economy. You need to get a higher return for more risk. And it's just the reverse now. And so you know, I think ultimately the yield curve has to go positive in order to produce a relatively stable economy and a stable inflation rate around three percent?
Speaker 16: Do you have face right now in the economy? And more importantly, the folks who are shepherding that economy.
Speaker 6: Well, no, you know, let's let me put it out there. You know, the Fed is not done well in the past three or four years in terms of or five years in terms of trying to find that magic Fed funds rate that will neither increase inflation or produce deflation. And so you know, are they wise enough now to know exactly what the Fed funds rate should be at any point in time or even you know, six to twelve months down the road. Now, I'd be very cautious, and I'd view economic statistics like they do, but from an investor's standpoint that you know, speak to fundamentals that the FED isn't necessarily following.
Speaker 16: Well, let me ask you, what would you do different if if for some reason, you were magically in the shoes of j what would you do different at this point?
Speaker 6: Well, I would stop quantitative tightening. I think that's just not a correct philosophy and policy at this point in time to you know, continue to tighten quantitatively. They should leave the you know, the reserve balance around seven trillion dollars and just see what happens going forward. I also think that yes, the FED should lower interest rates over the next six to twelve months. Real interest rates are simply too high. The ten year real interest rate is one point eight percent, which historically is very restrictive. And you know, I think not only the FED, but I would like to see the real interest rate on a tenure come down to one and a half or one percent. And so the way to do that is to lower interest rates from where we have it now at five and quarter percent for food funds and you know, basically balance out real interest rates and lower them so that the economy won't go into a significant recession.
Speaker 17: So, Bill, if you think we're going to get cuts in the next day six to twelve months, are we cutting because of normalization to get that real yield kind of at a more normal level, or are we cutting because the economy looks really bad.
Speaker 9: Well, we're certainly not talking about.
Speaker 6: The Fed funds rate based upon an economy that looks bad, although there are indicators such as the you know, leading indicator number that came out today and other indicators that suggest, like we talked about in terms of the negative yeal curve, that suggests that you know, at some point we're going to see a zero line you know, real gene and PN maybe something lower. I think, you know, to basically keep an economy going, and this finance based economy that we've had for a long time now five, ten, fifteen, twenty years, you need interest rates lower than nominal GDP. That's what drives you know, basically today's economy as opposed to what we saw fifty to.
Speaker 9: One hundred years ago.
Speaker 6: And so with nominal GDP at five and six percent and perhaps out at four, but we need the tenure to be lower than nominal GDP in order to continue a you know, a steady progression in terms of economic growth.
Speaker 17: So, Bill, in that environment, does it make sense that equities are at a record right now based on what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 9: No, I don't think it does.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, I've got some historical charts and others have provided those for me, Bloomberg being one of them.
Speaker 9: That basically suggest that PE ratios.
Speaker 6: Of nineteen to twenty times, which is what we're at the moment, and perhaps a little bit lower based on forward expectations that you know, PE of nineteen times is much too high relative to a one point eight percent real interest rate, you know, real interest rates who are down at a negative minus two percent, you know, just as recently as two to three years ago, and so they've risen significantly.
Speaker 9: But PE ratios haven't haven't really dropped.
Speaker 6: And so I think, ultimately, and this is a long term type of statement, in a long term thesis, ultimately PU ratios have to get more in balance with real interest rates, which are you know, relatively high.
Speaker 1: Nown This is Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast be by six a m. Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning, starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to Oho in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one six one in Boston, and Bloomberg sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 3: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Serriusxmbiheartradio app, and on Bloomberg dot com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Maybe Morris. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak