Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Trend. The nominees are or aren't Jack or aren't Miles. We're talking about snubs and flubs as well as the numbs working on my job with clubs.
Speaker 2: Oh man, your teeth aren't white enough.
Speaker 3: You need you need more of a bad tan and bright hyper white teeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my teeth whitening budget would be make it actually a lost leader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about some highlights? Jack, you think about some highlights on your.
Speaker 1: On my teeth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just every other tooth tips, just to some frosted tips on your canines.
Speaker 1: Oh man, good I never did highlights or frosted tips or anything. Wow, but I feel like now might be the time. Don't you just guy fer fed on there?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah? Why not?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah?
Speaker 2: Brother? Oh yeah, brother, here we are.
Speaker 1: I am Jack. That is mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The frosted tips, the man with the frosted his soul. Uh did you really?
Speaker 3: I had like a uh the barber I went to it was like this like Japanese dude who was like older, who didn't know what frosted tips were. So he gave me like a really wild like a tear uple. It just looked bad, wasn't. It wasn't what like the white kids had. I looked like I had a bad perm or some ship and like the ship got discolored or something.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it was cool for a minute.
Speaker 1: The perm is is big in first grade right now. For the for the boys, who do you mean get great boys? Yeah, they're getting perms. No the wave, they're getting the little Korean perm wave thing. Yeah what yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, No, children's are getting the k Wave.
Speaker 1: Perm Yeah looks good.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So hey, but we're not here to talk about children's haircuts. We're here to talk about people with frosted tips named ken. Yeah, because that is who got nominated a number of surprises. I was a little surprised that Leonardo DiCaprio's Teeth Acting, Teeth, Acton Acting Old Gompers didn't get nominated for Best Actor or even the Best Perma frown. Yeah, because of the flower Moon.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, buddy, they they didn't make good for was it Revenant?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They were like, all right, so you got you. They're like, oh got it here, dude, Like we're done with you. I think it's kind of the energy with DiCaprio right now. It's like, don't worry about it, man, Like, there's nothing you can do that. I'll get you up here again.
Speaker 1: Why are you still here? Yeah? Gave you your thing, dude, Like what?
Speaker 2: Also, why do you have those prosthetic teeth in?
Speaker 1: Those aren't prosthetics.
Speaker 2: Every other time I put prosthetics in?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So no gompers to be nominated, although they did give prosthetics acting nomination for Bradley Cooper and Maestro. He was nominated for character, which but not director. They do not the director category. Is interesting. I was pretty surprised. I'm with you, I'm not alone. The Greta Gerwig did not get nominated for Best Director for Barbie. Yeah. You know, there were a record three films directed by women that were nominated in Best Picture, but only one of them was nominated for Best Director. That's interestingly, I.
Speaker 3: Hate like for whatever reason, I just like, I'd always like, I'm like, why.
Speaker 2: Doesn't the best director? Also? Why aren't they immediately tied to Best Picture? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I always talk about like the weird when Spielberg won for Best Director, but then uh, Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture in like ninety eight, and I was just like how what Oh.
Speaker 1: That was just a fantastically produced movie. Yeah, forget who produced that, but genius is why I.
Speaker 2: Are a Max.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, was it you? Yeah? Yeah, no, I think it was. That was the movie that, like, you know, everyone was like, oh you, this is all just about like a well run campaign and Mirrorbax and Harvey Weinstein just like politicized that one. Somehow, I feel exactly how they did that. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Also, so, the other film directed by a woman besides Barbie was Past Lives, which was one of our favorite movie are one of my favorite movies of the past year, and it was nominated for Best Pitch, not Best direct.
Speaker 3: Though just this it's it's too much, it's too much. I think this is just such a weird thing. This, like, especially with Barbie and the sort of like the weird wonky nominations there, Like.
Speaker 1: It's actually didn't get nominated, Miles, I'm not sure if that's all right.
Speaker 2: They didn't, I know, And I lost four thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Fucking upside down on this.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't know why I take these wild prop bets.
Speaker 2: They just don't make sense. I don't know why I had a I had a feeling about Wonka.
Speaker 1: But I'm upside down on this Wonka shut out. Yeah, so I don't know. Best picture of the nominees are American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, which I saw I highly recommend mm hmm, Barbie, The Holdovers, which has picked up a lot of moment in the past, Kills, the Flower Moon, Maestro Oppenheimer, Past Lives, Poor Things, and of course the Zone of Interest, which I have not seen yet, but that that is on my list that I walk around with in my hand. I'm going to watch these goddamn moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What else? May December didn't get much? Did it get much?
Speaker 1: Original screenplay which I thought was based on a true story. I mean it was definitely inspired by true events. Yeah, yeah, yeah. No no acting awards, despite the fact that it very easily could have.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: I was just like listening to uh the like an interview with the writer, and how like everyone was like, a, I don't know about this script and basically just took a dump on it. You know, it's at least like Academy Award nominated fucking script.
Speaker 1: Now, I can see how people would have looked at the idea for that script and then like, wait, it's about what. Yeah, like that it feels like a you're like, this is a lifetime movie, but about the making of a lifetime movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was.
Speaker 1: I saw it.
Speaker 2: I was actually aside from.
Speaker 3: Julianne Moore's inconsistent lisping, I felt that, yeah, there was.
Speaker 1: I thought her performance was incredible.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought it was great.
Speaker 3: But at times it was just a little distracting when like she would suddenly have like a lisp and then not on other like she would really like remember it.
Speaker 2: Suddenly, I'm like, you have to do all that.
Speaker 3: You're a great actress, Julianne Moore. We love your crying face. We love your crying face. But yeah, just yeah, maybe that.
Speaker 1: Was the character. Maybe the character was putting it on ooh the thing moment.
Speaker 2: Charles Melton was also very good, Like he very much like had this energy of like this stunted adult who was in a relationship.
Speaker 1: That the young man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who probably.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't have been in a full blown fucking relationship with someone that was their teacher.
Speaker 2: Yes, but yeah, it's a I don't know man.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Lily Gladstone, though first Native Americaly Gladstone to be nominated for Best Actress.
Speaker 1: People a heavy favorite in the category, So we'll see what One person on Twitter really wanted Bo's Afraid to be nominated for Visual Effects because of its giant penis monster. Yeah. I got to see it for the first time because of this outrage, and I'll just say, Uh, that's not what my penis looked like. Uh, it's a weird looking penis.
Speaker 2: I think it's normal looking.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, maybe it's like a very old elderest.
Speaker 2: You know, it's all about what you see when you like you.
Speaker 1: See a penis there.
Speaker 2: Wow, interesting, I see crying from tee looking at it.
Speaker 3: Was a little train from the live action Ninja Turtles movie.
Speaker 1: But yeah, people, I think the main big snub takeaway people are upset about is Greta Gerwig. I would agree with that. I think she has proved herself across multiple movies. She does not seem to miss. This was a hugely high level of difficulty and she absolutely nailed it. Like if you just like looked at somebody's making a Barbie movie was like the take heading into the year, and then like the degree to which that was a massive hit and also just like critically and artistically very successful. I feel like maybe like just taking the whole thing outside of the context. Again, if we did the Oscars five years later or you know, you might be like, God, that was incredible that they were able to pull that off. But right right now we're inside the you know, because of a stupid you know, the way the media operates, we're inside a narrative about the narrative, and like about the horse race of the Oscar nomination, fantastic observation from Brian the editor. He said, I like that there are two movies nominated featuring white guys doing horrible things with bombs on Native American reservations who then have to testify in court for the last forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like the new way to get a nomination.
Speaker 3: Just dude, just doing this fucked up stuff with bombs on indigenous land and then.
Speaker 2: Like a court scene and it's a fucking you got it, that's true.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, and only one of them acknowledges that it's bad.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about things less much less important things here in Hollywood. This is all that matters. This is all anyone's talking about on the street. Yeah, now we'll be right back. We're gonna talk about Donald Trump, and we're back, And we talked on yesterday's episode about how Trump was getting Nancy Pelosi and Nicki Haley confused. Like, looking back on that quote, I'm not even sure which one he's trying to talk about. Like he starts in on Nicki Haley, presumably because she's his rival, but then he like switches mid sentence to January sixth. It's just like it's less like he has he's calling someone by the wrong name, and more like his brain is like melting and he's like merged them as to people in his brain.
Speaker 2: Like it is.
Speaker 1: It is different from just accidentally being like, oh shit, I meant the other person's name, and more like he thinks for a moment that they are the same person.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's it was very interesting on news Max, they really were like came to his defense for that flub, and I just got to play this. Greg Kelly on fucking news Max explains like he actually fucking meant it. Dipshits the fucking wildest way to defend that, But here's his explanation as to what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pretend for a moment.
Speaker 4: Now, I don't think this is the case that he made a genuine mistake here, that this.
Speaker 1: Was a let's pretend again.
Speaker 4: Right, campaigning having to defend himself in crazy trials.
Speaker 2: All over exactly crazy.
Speaker 4: Let's look at the names for a second.
Speaker 2: Man, Nicky Haley.
Speaker 1: All right, they both start with ends.
Speaker 4: They all end in valves, both the first.
Speaker 1: Name and the last name.
Speaker 4: The names arguably are rather similar.
Speaker 2: Okay, Nancy Pelosi Nicky Haley. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, go on, Greg, Sure, but I.
Speaker 1: He actually meant to say Nikki Haley.
Speaker 4: He said it on purpose, and the fos fell for.
Speaker 2: He goes on what explained, So what goes on?
Speaker 3: And he plays all these clips of people being like, what the fuck was that is this dude?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: And he comes back and then he he really has to. He really lays it out for you, like the whole kaiser so of it all, so you can see how the frigging mainstream fucking fell for it.
Speaker 2: Hook line.
Speaker 1: Because this is an audio medium, I do have to just describe to you guys that he has a look on his face like he is a five year old who is about to tell the punchline to the funniest joke they've ever heard. Like really is like, oh I got one here, folks. So I got a heater.
Speaker 2: Baby, and the reason was farts in his brain.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's him coming back as to exactly why this was for the genius chess.
Speaker 1: All right, but here's the deal. Uh.
Speaker 4: They all had to say later in their reports that it was Nancy Pelosi who has offered the ten thousand troops. It was Nancy Pelosi who was actually charged with security, So that in a way affected the message that he wanted out there. Because when he says Nancy Pelosi was in charge of security, nobody puys any attention. Oh, and he says Nicky Haley is and he said Nicky Haley three times.
Speaker 1: I don't know, what do you think.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like when he said we're going to build a wall and Mexico.
Speaker 1: Is going to pay for it. Wait, so I thought there would be more there. No, No, But it's kind of like when they when he said that thing that he wasn't able to make happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a terrible idea. And the thing he apparently did try again. Hey, he fucking looked what they got. He got all these fucking half wits saying Nancy Pelosi.
Speaker 1: Now, but the thing ensure that's exactly how it was handled by the mainstream media. They were like, actually it wasn't Nicky Haley. It was Nancy Pelosi who did the inside job that caused January sixth.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, you got me. I've been trumped again.
Speaker 3: So then he like he, but he's been sort of compounding on this idea of like is he like, look, Joe Biden ain't a spring chicken either, but like now we're starting to see them like stack up, they're they're they're happening with higher frequency frequency with Trump, and on Monday, he had this very interesting explanation of the Iron Dome missile defense system that is deployed in Israel.
Speaker 1: And this one's actually like I learned some things about how that system works, and just like technology in general that I didn't know before.
Speaker 3: It's very it's actually a very intricate, high tech system. And he just I guess I do have to credit Donald Trump for being able to sort of break down these sort of complex technology systems in a way that every person can understand.
Speaker 2: So here's his description of how the iron dome works.
Speaker 3: These are not muscle guys here, the muscle guys up.
Speaker 1: Here, right, they walk to a seat.
Speaker 3: Ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 4: They've only got seventeen seconds to figure this whole thing out, right, bomb okay, miss the launched.
Speaker 2: Pume uh huh.
Speaker 1: So he's like playing Simon like that game. Like he's playing, he's hidting, like hitting just various buttons in front of him like he's a DJ. Then shoot the missile. It goes out in front of him, does a little Nazi salute, and then boom it explodes.
Speaker 2: Gone out of your life, out of your life.
Speaker 3: Also, he's like, we got to build one on our border too, and it's like from all the rocket attacks that we're under Like even that part, like even examine the idea that he thinks there needs to be some kind of like rocket intercept system on any border.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that's one of them.
Speaker 3: And then there was this other quote where he was just really like while there was like this like weird eerie he was doing that thing again, where's like weird quanon music playing as he gives like a fucking bizarre monologue. He was just lamenting the fact that America has become an institute of death.
Speaker 2: Death death here. Well, we'll hear him.
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm sorry, what don't you understand?
Speaker 3: Well, let's, I guess, allow me to hear it again, Jack, and then maybe I'll have a better thought on this.
Speaker 2: But let's let's just hear from him now.
Speaker 1: Which is incapable of solving even the smallest, smallest problem, the simplest of problems.
Speaker 3: We can no longer solve.
Speaker 2: We can't do anything.
Speaker 3: We are an institute and a powerful death penalty.
Speaker 2: We will put this on. We have Wait, we're an institute.
Speaker 3: We are an institute and a powerful death penalty.
Speaker 1: We okay, we'll put this on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then he just said we will put this on, and then I don't yeah, I don't know. We will put this on a T shirt to sell as campaign or merchandise.
Speaker 1: At one point, he also like is quoting Donald Trump at one point that's what president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he went third person on us out of nowhere. So again, it's like we're sort of like in this weird place where like, obviously we've just been very dismissive of it because it's sort of like I don't need any more negatives against Donald Trump to convince you that he's completely unfit for office.
Speaker 2: But there is this like weird thing where the like mainstream media.
Speaker 3: Does like both parties don't want to go all in on I don't know if these octagenarians are the sharpest, you know, butter knives in the drawer here because it opens either party up to me, like, well, what about your guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we both have the same problem. It's like, well, it might not be doing too hot upstairs.
Speaker 2: You put it in the top.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's doing too hot upstairs right now, or maybe it is too hot up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just like kind of trying to understand like where we're at with how we speak about this, because this isn't this isn't ideal at all, Like to have a guy who can't even he's like not making sense in a consistent way aside from just saying like the same five sort of you know, grievance politics sort of things that he has over and over. But going third person, he's got the QAnon monologue.
Speaker 2: Just a lot. It's a lot, We're getting a lot right now.
Speaker 1: I do love that he For him to respect someone, he has to just on the iron dome thing. He was like, they're not big muscle guys here, but they're big guys in his brain in the brig.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: They don't have Christmas hams here. They have Christmas hams up here.
Speaker 1: They might actually look kind of weak, but then you'd be surprised when they blow you up, when.
Speaker 3: They sit down and go shoot bing ding ding ding boom.
Speaker 1: Is truly the mind of a five year old. Like, in a lot of ways, I'm surprised.
Speaker 3: I'm sure someone is going to actually break down how the iron dome thing works. And he's like, that first bing is actually this, the second bing is the operator deciding when to or what to deploy the ordinance against. And then that being cord like, he actually explained it very perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually that is exactly how they show a video and it's just a guy going down being like bing bing bing bing bing. It's like actual dude out there. So he's like, we're going to iron dome bing bing bang bing.
Speaker 2: Shoot boom, missile bing boo.
Speaker 1: That's right, this is what our tax dollars go towards. All right, Well, we do have the New Hampshire primary tonight, you know. Now it's yeah, we'll see what happens with Trump and Haley. So Biden's not on the ballot, which was kind of like there's a disagreement. We've talked before about how the DNC he wanted to change the order of the primaries because he'll help pramp bidon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to help him because last if you remember last primary in twenty twenty New Hampshire, he didn't even get ten percent and it was like a whole thing. Everyone's like, oh, oh, this is a fucking l and that's when he called I forget well, who was it he remembers when he called a lady a lying, dog faced pony soldier.
Speaker 2: I do remember that. I don't remember who it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was That was the dark Knight of the soul for the Biden campaign.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, And that was in New Hampshire. So because they have insisted now to make South Carolina the first, you know, like they're like, no, no, no, South Carolina is the first, and our primary.
Speaker 1: Calendar dncisted on that.
Speaker 3: DNC like New Hampshire was like, well, we're still holding it. And basically what happened is they're like, Okay, well we're ignoring you and we're not even.
Speaker 2: Going to file in the early voting contest.
Speaker 1: Which feels like a bad choice on their like, because it's just going to give the me the ability to create this narrative where like the Democrat that Biden might be in trouble like that, yeah, you think the media is gonna be like that, he wasn't really on it, Like, yes, so you fucked up by not getting him on the ballot, Like, because.
Speaker 2: There's there's definitely two schools that thought.
Speaker 3: There are people who are like, it's fine if like he doesn't win there, it doesn't mean anything, and other.
Speaker 2: People are like that's a bad look. It's just incumbent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then people are like, well, I guess Dean Phillips is our new Bay.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Even like upset about it in the sense of like, god, this proves that like they don't have their shit together, because I don't ultimately think it's going to matter. I'm annoyed that it's going to create an annoying narrative for the next week and a half that doesn't ultimately narra matter. But we're going to have to hear about how Biden's in trouble. Look at like how poorly he did in New Hampshire, you know, like, yeah, it's mate, I mean maybe maybe so many people so like now they're being like, oh, could you actually write him in please, sir, We just don't embarrass him. Don't embarrass us, Yeah, your president. Yeah, so, but he's not going to be on the ballot. We'll see how he performs. But it really feels that, you know, the mainstream media loves nothing more than a Dems in disarray narrative, and this is going to give them a good opportunity because it is a real fuck up by the Yeah, let's see it right if yeah, if it's anything less than like over fifty, if it's less than fifty percent of the vote, they're gonna probably you'll start seeing some people be like.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: But then but also like, but let's not talk about trump jazz at all, Like Dems in disarray, Trump can identify whale on cognitive exam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this story might end up being about this robo Biden call that well we'll get into a little bit more in a future episode.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, we mentioned it on the Today's This Morning's episode. But yeah, we're already in the era of deep fake audio robocalls arm reservation.
Speaker 1: They're gonna, like, yep, create a capture for phone calls now where it's like they like give you a like Blade Runner style robot tests to like, which a great idea, Like I'm excited about that. But anyways, uh, weird times very strange. That Biden's not on the ballot for the New Hampshire primary feels like a bad bluff by the DNC that is going to get called Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: We'll see, you know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll just hoping my good friend Nikki Haley make some noise in New Hampshire for you.
Speaker 2: John. I will.
Speaker 3: You know what's wild speaking of the DNC, because I told you my mom is the one who like has put my number down, so I get all the DNC.
Speaker 2: The one they fucking sent recently. It was so fucking aggressive.
Speaker 3: It said, seriously, with a fucking question mark, we haven'd selected you for the fourteenth Amendment survey, but you didn't even respond.
Speaker 2: It's only eight questions.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, they used my mother's name and everyone like this is my mom's fucking.
Speaker 2: Name out your robo mouth, motherfucker. What is this shit? What kind of tactic is this? Seriously?
Speaker 1: Seriously, what's your fucking problem?
Speaker 2: Seriously, Miles is mom? We han't selected you like, Oh fuck off.
Speaker 5: That's crazy man. Anyways, what a time to be alive. Well, we'll see what happens in New Hampshire. Yeah, and we.
Speaker 1: Will talk to hell tomorrow. We'll be back with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to hell tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,