Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody. Welcome to the Guilty and Charged Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Steve and I am the host as always, and and joining me is my guy Tyler. And Tyler, what's some man? How do you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: Bad news is I'm paying California taxes for Seattle weather. The good news is we have Trevor Sikima on to talk about the draft in a bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, taxes, taxson coming up. Not looking forward to that. The rain, not looking forward to that. You know, it is what it is. I shouldn't complain. I'm from Utah. My parents have gotten like sixteen inches of snow in the valley of the last two weeks. So we're doing good over here. But you know, it is what it is. Like Tyler mentioned, we have a great interview for you guys today with mister Trevor Sikima of Pro Football Focus. We had a great kind of dip the toes into the draft conversation today. So Tyler and I, like we've talked about this previously, we're about twenty ish prospects into our own study. Guys like Trevor, there are already hundreds of guys you know, into their study and have you know, top one hundred boards and everything like that. So they're the ones that we like to talk to to start the process off. So really excited about that before we get to that point. As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team first and foremost, just like you guys are. The opinions that we share on this show every single week are not always reflective of the Chargers organization themselves. They are ours first and foremost, and we're very grateful to have this opportunity to reflect those opinions. So that being said, let's get to this interview with mister Trevor Sikima. All right, guys, very happy now to be joined by mister Trevor Sikima, who is the lead draft analyst for PFF. You've obviously heard his work if you're listening to the show at least, I hope you have heard his work on the Stock Exchange, and if you're a real nerd, if you're a real sicico, you've heard his work way back when on the Draft Locked On podcast with Benjamin Solak. I've certainly been listening to Trevor and his work for several years now and It's been a true treat to arrange this and have him on today. So Trevor, thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: How's it doing. How's it going?
Speaker 3: It's going great. I appreciate you having me on.
Speaker 4: I appreciate the kind words as well, but just excited to chop it up here with you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited. I told Trevor before we started.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm just happy to have anybody on who knows all this stuff so I don't have to do the work right now. Really appreciate it, Trevor.
Speaker 4: No, that's you know what my hard blood, sweat and tears trying to learn all of the insides and outs of these prospects. It is to y'all's pleasure, So no, it is, it is you know, it's it's my pleasure, I guess being able to do that with you guys, So no problem at all.
Speaker 3: I love talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously, if you guys can't tell, today's episode is going to be primarily focused on the draft, Tyler and I have dipped our toes in. You know, we are behind the eight ball a little bit this year, but you know we've watched some of the top prospects and I think we're each around twenty graded. So it is what it is. But Trevor to do this, you know, full time and study these prospects and like I mentioned, does some great work over at PFF and the Stock Exchange podcast. Cannot recommend them enough. So we're gonna pick his brain and thankfully we're gonna pick his brain a few times leading up to the draft. So we're really excited about having him on here a couple of times over the next few months to talk about the draft. And obviously, well we'll jump right in here. I think, Trevor, we'll start with kind of a generic question here. Every single year there's a position group that's kind of, you know, hotly discussed as kind of the best group, or one that's maybe kind of an underwhelming group. What in your eyes is the strength of the twenty twenty four draft class as you see it right now on January twenty second.
Speaker 4: Well, thankfully, for Chargers fans, I think it's wide receiver. You know, I'm talking with other draft analysts, I'm going through my own rankings, and you know, I was just having a conversation with anybody who follows PFF knows Mike Renner as well.
Speaker 3: It's just having a conversation with him. The other day.
Speaker 4: He texts me, He's like, dude, I've got to stop watching wide receivers because like, every time I watch another one, I have to put them in the top one hundred. And I told them, I said back to them the exact same thing. I have had a little bit of a bad habit that I've had to recognize of Like I keep watching these wide receivers and I keep telling myself, Okay, I can't have their film grade this high, like there can't be another one, right, and no, when you stay true to the film grade, and when you watch these guys and how well they're playing wide receiver is incredibly deep.
Speaker 3: It's incredibly talented.
Speaker 4: We have three wide receivers I think at the very top of this class who would be wide receiver one and basically every other draft class. I've got Marvin Harrison Junior from Ohio State as my wide receiver one in this draft. But Malik Neighbors from LSU ain't that far behind. Romeo Dunzey from Washington ain't that far behind. And if you PLoP either of those two dudes, Odunza or neighbors into most other draft classes their wide receiver one, and it's signed him close certainly. If you want to go back to short term memory, last year twenty twenty three, I had Jackson Smith and jigbe as my number one wide receiver. Last year, JSN would be wide receiver five six this year from just the guys that I've already been able to get these final grades on.
Speaker 3: So it's an incredibly talented wide receiver class.
Speaker 4: But beyond that, I'm not just saying this because I'm a draft guy and I want people to be.
Speaker 3: Excited about the draft. It is really strong at the premium positions.
Speaker 4: Quarterback, There's a lot of guys at the top that you can invest in.
Speaker 3: We see Drake May and Kayleb Williams name at the very top.
Speaker 4: I think Jayden Daniel's name is going to get higher and high on that listen, So until we keep talking about him as a potential top five pick. Corner, very deep, very talented as well. Pass rusher. There's a lot of guys in the first round. There may not be a Nick Bosa Miles Garrett type of guy to go number one, but a lot of good edge rushers as well, a lot of great offensive tackles, which you don't normally get normally. It's like a couple of good guys, but man, I feel like that group is deep going all the way through the top fifty as well.
Speaker 3: So those premium positions really stacked this year, and it's making for a lot of fun conversations.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness, because chargers are looking at a tackle potentially a wide receiver, an edge rusher, so that that all sounds great. Last year with the wide receiver class, maybe it wasn't a top heavy class, but we knew it was a very deep class. I don't think anyone expected the kind of production immediately from so many players from day one to day three from that class. Is that something that you think could hold again with this class or do you think that was more of a one off last year.
Speaker 3: No, I absolutely think that it could hold up in this class.
Speaker 4: Now, of course, you've got a late drafted guy in Pookin Takua who just broke the rookie wide receiver records for total yards. But it's so I'm not saying that that is going to hold. I don't know if we're going to get another record breaker next year, but you know, you look at guys like him, you look at guys like Tank Dell, like Michael Wilson, like some of these like mid round wide receivers who have been playing really really well this year.
Speaker 3: I could see similar levels of success.
Speaker 4: You know there are just because I'm gonna have a lot of these guys ranked in the top fifty.
Speaker 3: You know that teams like to take best.
Speaker 4: Player available, but they also do need to fill their roster needs, so it's not like all of these guys are gonna be able to go. So just from a trickle down effect, especially because the other premium positions are pretty strong, you're gonna get wide receivers in the third and fourth round in this upcoming year that we're going to look back on or we'll be like, man, how did he last until the fourth round? And in reality, the film never said fourth round.
Speaker 3: It was always just a there's just.
Speaker 4: Too many of these guys for them to all be able to go in whatever, you know, the top seventy five to the top fifty, and it's just going to kind of push everybody a little bit further back. So it is wild to say after a year where a lot of really great rookie wide receivers from the twenty twenty three class were able to stand out. I do expect this next class coming in to have that sort of potential and maybe even more of a widespread not necessarily like I said, record breaking, but more widespread a youth movement from the wide receiver position of a lot of these guys coming in and being able to establish themselves pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that creates some real intrigue for the Chargers and what they could potentially do with the fifth overall pick, because, like Tyler mentioned, you know, they do potentially need a wide receiver. This is a team that could be without Keenan Allen and or Mike Williams depending on what happens over the next couple of months.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: They could also need a right tackle. They could also need an edge rusher. Like the Chargers, I think are in a really good spot at five to potentially trade back, But if they want to stick and pick one of those wide receivers, you know they're certainly against spot. And Daniel Jeremiah had the Chargers taking Rome Odunse at five over Malik Neighbors in his first mock draft, and that sent Chargers Twitter a blaze, which I think is a little unfair to rum Odoonse. So specifically about Odoonsay versus Neighbors, Trevor, what kind of differentiates the one from the other end and how would you have them stacked up in that regard?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they're both incredibly talented. They win in a little bit different ways. Right, Neighbors is a little bit smaller than Odoonza is and I think that's part of what o'dunza brings to the table at six foot three, two hundred and fifteen pounds. You know, I watched him going into summer scouting this year knowing that he was draft eligible. We watch a lot of these players over the summer and we kind of come up with preliminary rankings what we want to see them improve upon this year to become the best versions of whatever we can see for them. And bro Dunes in the twenty twenty film that he put out twenty twenty two, I should say, you see a smooth moving guy who is six with three two hundred fifteen pounds. I mean just the wiggle that he has, the crispness on his routes, how he could pull a double move on you, and you're just not expecting it from a guy that size. I mean, he was really nice at diversifying his route tree his sophomore year, but I was I was left wanting more in terms of contested cash. It's like, Okay, you move, you have better finesse game than you typically get with a player of your size, But I still want that to be a bonus, right, I still want you at six with three two hundred fifty pounds, go up and get the football, like, go get some contested catches.
Speaker 3: I still want you to use that frame.
Speaker 4: And this past year twenty twenty three, he did that, had way more contest to catch opportunities, brought a lot more of a man, much higher contest to catch percentage, and that just showed some determination at the catchpoint that you absolutely love. So when you think about that kind of a skill set getting in with the Los Angeles Chargers, their receiver room might look a lot different next year. You know, I think, okay, I think a lot of people would want Keenan Allen back. Keenan Allen's kind of a do it all wide receiver. You know that Quentin Johnston, he's the young rookie. I know that he was disappointing for a lot of people, but still he's not going anywhere. He's on his rookie contract. There might be a bit of a shifting of roles for him. You might see him as more of an underneath guy than maybe a vertical guy, because he was sort of struggling in that area this past year.
Speaker 3: I kind of look at how the.
Speaker 4: Kansas City Chiefs are using Rashi Rice, where Rashi Rice was more of a vertical sideline receiver at SMU and when he got into Kansas City, they're like, Okay, well you could actually help us best as being at yards after the catch kind of a player.
Speaker 3: I wonder if Johnston moves more.
Speaker 4: Into that area, and if he does, then all of a sudden there is a need for a young sideline contest to catch kind of a player with good size, and that could be Odune. Say so I see a world where that does make sense, I'd still be picking Elik Neighbors. When I watch Molik Neighbors, I think that his movement skills are special. The way he is able to change direction and yet continue to accelerate reminds me of Antonio Brown, Like there are just not many players who have that sort of athletic ability where you can continue to accelerate. You don't have to throttle down like you are changing direction, and yet you are continuing to move at a very high speed. That makes you a separation specialist. And I think that Neighbors has that ability. Now, you saw many many times LSU would put him in the slot, They get him on those slot phase and he would just man. He would get off press coverage, he'd get even with somebody in that boom, he kind of put his foot in the ground and then it's just continuous separation all the way until the catchpoint. That's always going to play in the NFL. If you can separate at that kind of an elite level, doesn't matter if you're the team's wide receiver one, doesn't matter, if you're a two, it doesn't matter if you're primarily in a slot like Gonna.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be somebody that the offense utilizes.
Speaker 4: And so with his skill set, how much success he was able to have this past year, thinking about him in an offense with Justin Herbert is very exciting. So I would still be taking the lak Neighbors even though I do see a path where the o'doonze selection does make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would certainly agree there.
Speaker 2: When you were doing your fix of franchise on the NFL stock exchange for the Chargers, brock Bowers was not available at the time. The Chargers, I think we're picking maybe eight at the time. How do you stock up then brock Bauers against these two receivers.
Speaker 3: In your opinion, he's.
Speaker 4: Gonna be right there when it comes to film grades. You know, I'm still getting through the tight end position when it comes to those final regular season film grades. But even from what I have seen just there year, you know, watching them live, you know, putting them somewhere on the big board the summer scouting, from what I've seen in the last two years, I brought special I.
Speaker 3: Mean, he really is.
Speaker 4: Basically the only worry that you have about brock Bauers is George's got him listed at I think it's six foot three or six foot four, two hundred and forty pounds, and so those measurables compared to NFL tight ends are much smaller. So if you're kind of worried about that, that's really the only holes that you could find in this guy's armor.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean the rest of it's phenomenal.
Speaker 4: The contested catches, the yards after catchability, the route tree, the toughness over the middle. How he is is an inline blocker, like pound for pound on the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: How he is as a lead blocker.
Speaker 4: You know, they'll use him as a polar sometimes going across the line of scrimmage as a lead blocker. So whatever you need this guy to do, he is a full time tight end for you. And I just think that no matter what team drafts him, there's no limitations really on where you could play him.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 4: He's going to play more in the slot or maybe as an h back off the line of scrimmer or wingback guy should say, like right behind the line of scrimmage. He can get him in those split zone blocking plays where he's coming across the line of scrimmage. You can get him detached from the line, so he's got more of a free release when he's getting up the seam or to the sideline and an out route whatever it is. But he has that athletic ability to be able to do those things. And you talk about a chess piece type of a player. You set that guy up against most linebackers and safeties in the NFL, and he's either going to out muscle the safeties or he's gonna beat the linebacker to a spot when the ball's coming there. So he is also a fantastic option for them. I know, just talking with Chargers fans and reading Chargers fans thoughts on this, they are certainly open to him being this selection at five, even though at five for a tight end is traditionally rich. You look at Brock Bauers and just in our system alone, PFF system, he's been in college for three years.
Speaker 3: He's basically been a full time starter for three years.
Speaker 4: Although you know sometimes it's like on and off the field with Darnot Washington when he was a little bit younger, he recorded an elite PFF grade all three seasons. All three seasons For an eighteen year old to come into Georgia, Okay, this is a talent factory. This is one of the richest talent factories in all of college football. For this dude to come in as a true freshman and be so good, the Kirby Smart had to put him on the field, not only put him on the field, you're in an elite PFF grade doing so, then followed it up with another, then followed it up with another.
Speaker 3: It just it don't get more consistent than that.
Speaker 4: So I think that that's why he is worthy of a top ten overall selection and why he should be considered at number five as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went and looked at just stacking up brock Bauers career versus the other top tight ends in recent memory. You're talking about Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Dalton Kinkaid, Michael Mayer, that group. If you've put his three seasons up there in terms of like yards after catch, yards per route run, miss tackles, forest, first sounds, craded, brock Bowers is at the top in like each of his three seasons Like this is I forget who specifically wrote it, but there was a PFF article asking if brock Bowers was the greatest college tight end ever, And I think you can make a realistic argument that they answered there is an easy yes because of what he was able to do over the three years at Georgia. Last year, at this time, we were having very similar debates of like tight end versus wide receiver at twenty one. Now we're doing it again at five, and people at twenty one were like, I don't know about a tight end at twenty one, but like you're saying, you know, Brock Bowers is not your stereotypical tight end that comes out of the draft each year.
Speaker 3: Right, No, he is not.
Speaker 4: He is somebody who is special and that you have to you have to really have in his own category, which he also is in this class, right.
Speaker 3: I mean we talk about the depth.
Speaker 4: Of tight end that was not one of the positions that I mentioned is like a strength of this class. It's basically if you want a first round guy your draft in Bowers. You know, Jutavian Sanders, former five star as well, really good athlete from University of Texas. I think he had his best year this past year. He's really common along he's young, so it's like, okay, all of that is really nice. His production didn't really warrant I don't think a first round selection. Maybe somebody will take a chance on the back end of the first but you're really projecting what he could be. You're not looking exactly what he did at Texas. If you are doing that.
Speaker 3: But outside of.
Speaker 4: Those two guys even you're talking about a lot of good football players, but not guys that you're using big priority picks. So if you really need to address that position in a premium way, I think Brock is on the table for basically any team at this point.
Speaker 2: Let's move on to defense now, because I think Chargers fans we haven't even talked about offensive tackle yet, but I think Chargers fans want offense. It's tight end, it's wide receiver, it's one of the tackles. But the Chargers do need a lot of help on defense. And who knows what free agency is going to change for the Chargers if you had to take a defender, or if you just said, knew, hey, I have to take a defensive player because our defense would need some help. How would you play it at five? And then maybe how would you play it in terms of moving to a certain spot to get maybe one of the cb ones or another player where you feel the board makes more sense for a defensive player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good question.
Speaker 4: I haven't gone through this scenario, but you know, when I think about it, if you really want a so are you saying any defensive player? Are you saying like corner specifically.
Speaker 3: For this team.
Speaker 1: What do you think any defensive player.
Speaker 2: But there's been a lot of chowder among charges fans about trading back for a corner so that's just an option.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So because that's kind of where my mind went to originally. You know, you get to the back end of the top ten and you've got the Falcons and the Chicago Bears sitting there at eight and nine, and I think those are prime candidates for the first defensive player to come off the board. Now, I think it's going to be an edge rusher in both of those cases. So you know, a guy like Dallas Turner, a guy like Laatu Latu from UCLA, a guy like Jared Verse from Florida State. I think those guys are all in that conversation to be that first defender taken probably around that range. I don't know if you need to at five, but it kind of just depends which position you're really honing in on because this cornerback class is really good. There's a lot of good names, but if you're trading back, you probably don't want to trade back that far. I'm thinking about the Titans are sitting there at seven. You know, you get the Giants at six.
Speaker 3: Do you can.
Speaker 4: You can you entice the Titans to believe that if they want to go get an offensive tackle that they want to draft, you gotta jump over the Giants, Like, Oh, the Giants say Evan Neil didn't have a good year, They're gonna draft another offensive tackle. You might have to, uh, you might have to put on your good poker face and see if you can get him to go in. At that point, maybe you drop down from five to seven, get a little extra draft capital if you still want to take any of the first defensive players. But if it comes to corner, I mean, I think these are pretty wide open for you. Obviously you're gonna have your preference, right. Some people are gonna say, oh, Terry and Arnold from Alabama's the best corner in this class. Oh, Cooper Degen, nobody can match what he does as an all around, you know, outside corner, slot, run defense, all that could stuff ball skills. Some people might look at Nate Wiggins and say, man, that is the best cover corner in the draft.
Speaker 3: So everybody's gonna have a little bit of their preference.
Speaker 4: But let's say you don't. Let's say that you just want a starting calib or CB one potential type of corner. You could probably trade back anywhere between ten to twenty. Like, there's a lot of good ones they're available. I mentioned Arnold, I mentioned Degene, I mentioned Nate Wiggins. You know Ennis Rake Shaw Junior from Missouri as somebody who's in consideration there, kol Aid McKinstry from Alabama as well, Queenyon Mitchell from Toledo's I got some of the best ball production that we have graded over the last two years at PFF, has elite coverage grades in the last two years, most forced in completions in the FBS.
Speaker 3: So it's just.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of corners where if that's what you want, you have a lot more power to trade back. If you want like a top edge rusher, maybe DT one in this class, like whatever it is, you can't get really further than twelve, I would say, is like the lowest that you could get. You would have to pretty much stay in that range if you wanted one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously a lot of this is, like Tyler mentioned, is going to be very influenced by who the new GM is, new the head coaches, But you know, the charters are going to be in a similar spot where they could be without Khalil Mack. They could be without Joey Bosa next year. Edge rusher is definitely a premium need at this point. Cornerback they are going to be obviously without j C. Jackson, who they traded. Sante Samon Junior is gonna be on an expiring contract, Michael Davis is a free agent. Like the Chargers defense does need some help. I know, like the fans want offense and things like that, but the defense is going to need to be addressed a lot as well, So trading back could be the way for them to do that. So I'm excited about the defensive line group on Day two right now. That's kind of like the group that I'm excited about for you know, your early Day two selection, Trevor, Is there a position group that you're just like really fired up about, you know, some Day two guys that could be some difference makers this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I wonder if I like this interior offensive line class, I honestly do like guards and center combination. There's a ton of versatility, So I think Day two is going to be littered with a lot of these guys, because there's some names that could potentially sneak into top of the first round. I think Troy Fountain, now the left tackle for Washington, who's probably gonna move inside at the NFL level. He's the name that we see in first round mock drafts. I like Graham Barton a lot, also, the left tackle from Duke, but we're gonna see him at the Senior Bowl, and I think he's also going to move inside.
Speaker 3: He's probably gonna be a guard, could even be a center. Jackson Powers.
Speaker 4: Johnson the interior offensive lineman center specifically from Oregon, a little bit bigger. He's six foot three, three hundred and twenty pounds. Centers normally not that big, not that tall, but that gives him the flexibility to also play guard as well. So those three players I think have chances to go Round one. But there's even a lot of guys on this list that.
Speaker 3: I like beyond that. You know, Christian Haynes is somebody who's.
Speaker 4: Created really, really well for us. He's the left guard at Yukon over the last two years. I think that he's got a chance to be a really good NFL player. Tate Ratledge, the offensive guard from Georgia. His teammate Cedric Van Pran, the center, the longtime center for that team. He's been the center since his freshman season for all their national championship runs, and he was chosen to represent the team as a team captain.
Speaker 3: Enter the team at SEC media days.
Speaker 4: Kirby Smart just speaks so highly of how smart he is and how great he is in the middle at that center position. So Christian Mahogany, somebody who I think would have probably been a top seventy five selection last year had he not gone through the injury. But he comes back and I think he looks healthy again. He is just an absolute ass kicker man. He is such a maler in the run game. And yeah, I think there's other guys too. Zach Zenter, the offensive guard from Michigan. He's coming off injuries. That obviously sucks because I think that he is a great player. But Zach Frasier, the center from West Virginia, who's got some really nice tape with I think he'd be a starter at the NFL level. So that to me is a really intriguing group on day two of an interior offensive lineman, Like if you need a starting caliber center and guard. You do not have to overdraft one over a premium position player in the first round.
Speaker 3: I think he can wait a little. And those are a handful of names that I really like.
Speaker 1: In this class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Chargers are I think they have to take a center on Day two at this point because they won is medically retiring potentially not officially, but seems like Cord Lindsay trending that way. The other one had a season ending injury, so they're going to need to take one. As far as maybe position groups that aren't is great, maybe last year's linebacker class, for example, wasn't perceived as a great group. Who do the Charges maybe need to spend some money on in free agency because this position group isn't so great in the draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say linebackers still. I mean it's it's.
Speaker 4: Not a great linebacker class. You've got some guys who I like. Jeremiah Trotter Junior am very familiar name of Jeremiah Trotter senior. His dad played a long time in the NFL. He is following his Devs footsteps in a lot of ways. I think when you watch him play for Clemson, over the last couple of years. You see that he understands the game, that he was brought up at a very high football environment, and I think he's played very very well over the last two years, specifically in coverage, when it comes to recognition, run defense, things like that. He's just smaller, you know, he just he does not have long arms. He's not super tall, not like a hulking dude in terms of strength and weight.
Speaker 3: He just comes in a smaller size.
Speaker 4: If you're okay with that, a really good football player and you can't let size totally outweigh what we see on tape, right. I think Elijah Kansi has been an example this year of like man, yeah, complete outlier with size, but damn he's holding up well at pitt And obviously he's been playing really well for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this year. So Jeremiah tried to Junior I might end up being linebacker one for me, now.
Speaker 3: That we've had some people go back.
Speaker 4: You know, you look at Edrin Cooper in the year that he's had at Texas A and m bigger, longer dude. Definitely a downhill linebacker, though not somebody that you really want to play deep in coverage. You know, its coverage grades at PFF for pretty well, but that's more of you know, he's covering the running backs coming out of the backfield, and so like a lot of his coverage stuff is like, okay, that's your coverage assignment, but it's still more seaball get ball, it's more downhill stuff.
Speaker 3: So he's somebody who brings a lot.
Speaker 4: Of athletic athletic potential to the position. Peyton Wilson from NC State, I mean, might have been the best linebacker in the country this year, but he's just he's got such a rough injury history.
Speaker 3: Fifth or six year.
Speaker 4: Guy, and it's like, man, linebacker is such a physical position. If you could tell me that the news gonna stay healthy even throughout just the rookie contract, it'd be.
Speaker 3: Like, all right, am in, but you just never know.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, injuries are the worst part of this game, and he's kind of had to suffer through a lot of them.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, linebacker, there's some.
Speaker 4: Interesting ones, but I think that is a position that's probably not going to start get getting picked until the second round at best. But you're still gonna see a lot of linebackers probably go like early day three area. Running Back also another area where I think, shoot, Bishop Sanke came off the board in the twenty fourteen draft as RB one at pick I think fifty four we might have that again this year, like we might not have a single running back come off of the top fifty. So if I think Jonathan Brooks from Texas was the one who was training in that direction, but he tore his ACL in November, so it's like, h we had a guy that we loved, you know, he was having a great year and he's still a great running back prospect, but it just kind of muddies up the evolum where you think he's gonna go. So I don't think we're gonna get a running back, not just in the first round, but probably not in the top fifty. Safety is another one that's the last one I'll bring up where if you need any sort of secondary help in the safety area, it's basically Tyler Nuban, cam Kinchin's and then it's like, you know a bunch of kind of like your flavored players, you know. So I think that that's that's kind of what you're looking for. If you don't get those two guys, then at Kylen Bullock. I like and when I say like flavor type of players, it's like, Okay, is your flavor a rangey, free safety kind of a player or is your flavor more of like, Okay, I want a downhill thupper type of a player, because there's players who can fit in those boxes, like those types of roles, but there's few that will give you.
Speaker 3: That true too high safety.
Speaker 4: One can come down, one can play deep on any given down. So I think that those are the three positions that come to my mind where if you got a chance to get an impact one in free agency, probably go that direction.
Speaker 2: Steven, let me jump in real quick. Bishop Sanke drafted fifty fourth overall in the twenty fourteen draft. You are correct, Well done.
Speaker 3: There we go nice. If only if only I could remember useful things, But I can remember.
Speaker 1: It is useful in this moment, we're grateful for it. Speaking of a bishop, I call Bishop my guy. I have to give a shout out. I think he's a fantastic safety from the University of Utah. Last question here, Trevor. Obviously, the All Star circuit is coming up. Shrine Bowl, Senior Bowl is really kind of where people like us really kind of dive into the draft, and so who are some names at either one that you're just like super fired up to go down and see because I believe you're going in person to the Shrine Ball. Are you doing both this year or.
Speaker 4: I am Yeah, I'm doing both, and there's a lot of really great players of both of them. Honestly, I am really excited to specifically see the Senior Bowl defensive line versus offensive line group. I mean, it's one of the most emotion notable ones that happens every single year, right, you get the one on ones that drills like that, But I mean we have a stacked defensive line group at the Senior Bowl this year.
Speaker 3: I mean interior defensive lineman.
Speaker 4: We get DeAndre Sweat, We've got Dwayne Carter, Byron Murphy, Ruka Rovero, Tyler.
Speaker 3: Davis like all these like Brandon Dorls.
Speaker 4: I mean, these are some of the best interior defensive linemen in a class littlone upperclassmen, and they're all gonna be there.
Speaker 3: You got edge dudes, Adiza Isaac from Penn State.
Speaker 4: Who's the guy who plays opposite Chop Robinson down enough people know about Darius Robinson from Missouri who is a powerful four to three defensive end who I think can make a lot of money and mobile honestly with his performances. There, he got Laatu Latu, who was without question the most prolific pass rusher in the country over the last two years, almost a twenty five percent pass rush win percentage this past year.
Speaker 3: Elite pass rush PFF grade.
Speaker 4: He's got basically every move already on film in his pass rush bag. Going into the NFL, which you absolutely love to see. They're going up against offensive linean you know, like I mentioned, I mentioned, Troy Fountain is going to be there, Graham Barton's going to be there. Guy like Tyler Goeyton, an offensive lineman who is super athletic, but okay, does he have the polish to be able to start right away. He's gonna be a developmental guy. We're getting him for some first round buzz right now. It's Lese Fluager from Oregon State. My dude, I absolutely love that guy. He is. I don't I don't think he's gonna go number five overall, but like he should be talked about with Joe Alt and with Olu Pashano. Is that best offensive tackle in the class. Just the way that he plays the game. It is a true I am going to just not let you get any closer to my quarterback type of guy. And he wins first with power and then he figures the rest out once he locks you up. But that to that to me is that the highlight right now?
Speaker 3: Is your your Twitter timeline? Sorry X sorry, I will call it X all due respect to Elon's purchase.
Speaker 4: Uh, your your timeline is going to be filled with the d line one on one that we're going to see over the next couple of months.
Speaker 3: I think at both events.
Speaker 2: Honestly, yeah, no, I'm super excited the Chargers. It's different this year because the Chargers have a new general manager, but they routinely picked players from the Senior Bowl more than anyone else. I feel like, I mean, Jamari Sawyers, On Johnson, Tram McKitty, Josh Palmer, all these guys appeared to the Senior Bowl, did well, they picked him.
Speaker 1: So excited to see who that is this year. But again, things could change with the new GM.
Speaker 4: Yep, it's I think this year specifically, there is going there's going to be so much hype for these Senior Bowl players because not only are you going to have the regular highlight tape, but like you're going to have to have, you're going to have those practice eclipse as well. And that's something that I love about both the Shrine Bowl and the Senior Bowl is you get to watch these players operate in a brand new environment, and to me, that's really worth it. You are dropping this guy into a new system, new coaches, new teammates, and you are basically able to see whose talent stands out immediately right away.
Speaker 3: And it's a really cool avit.
Speaker 4: And that's not to say that you don't appreciate the guys who maybe a little bit slower start on day one of practice really kicking ass in day three. You appreciate that as well because it shows you that quick progression from players. But there's so many valuable things to learn about the Senior Bowl and so those are two ways that people stand out that the Chargers and obviously every team's going to be paying close attention to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really excited to see these younger guys. The new rule where these underclassmen can go down and perform. You know, your guys like Jackson Powers, Johnson, Byron Murphy guys who could be first round players go down. There's underclassmen shit really fun. And then the quarterbacks too. I mean you get Bo Nix and Michael Pennix's teammates down in Mobile. You know, there's been some rough quarterback years. I think this should be a good quarterback year at Mobile. So I'm really excited about that group as well. Trevor, this has been awesome, man. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to join us today. Charges fans, you'll see each other again on this channel next month. We're really excited to have him on the show to help cover the draft, and we're very great before his time. So, Trevor, what do you guys have coming down the line at PFF at the Stock Exchange? Where can people find you all that good stuff? Go feel free in the plug away as they say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you mentioned, we're going to be live from the Shrine Bowl and the Senior Bowl coming up over the next couple of weeks, and so we're going to have as many of those practice clips and analysis as you're going to be able to find. All that good stuff's over at PFF dot com. And then obviously after your wonderful listeners listen and watch this show, then they can come and watch the NFL Stock Exchange Podcast with myself and Connor Rodgers, where we'll be continuing to dive deep into this NFL Draft class, getting you ready for the NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, like Trevor said, if you are a draft nerd, even if you're not a draft nerd, if you're just kind of diving in, definitely recommend you go check out Trevor and Connor Rodgers over at the Stock Exchange. Trevor, this has been great, man. We really appreciate your time and we'll see you and hopefully you have a great trip down to Texas and Alabama. Yeah, cover those balls. Appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate it, guys. I'm excited to get back with you next month.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back, Tyler. Anything stand out to you. I think there's been a lot of increased dialogue on social media about the draft. People are really starting to form opinions about that. Was there something that you like gravitated towards of Trevor's or something that you really disagreed with during our conversation with him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if intentional, but when discussing the corners. I couldn't help but notice that mckinstrey took a while to be mentioned. There was a certain trio mentioned, and then a couple other names, and then also kool aid mckinstrey. I don't know what his ranking is. Could have asked, but would have been here for two and a half hours talking prospect rankings. But that one is curious to me. So I'm curious where he'd have them. But I think the biggest takeaway is that this is another deep wide receiver class that he does feel that outside of a you know, there won't be another Puka and a Kua breaking rookie record sort of thing. But it is a deep class and it is important to remember that when considering let's say, even the Chargers in the first round or the second round. If they go some other non wide receiver position in the first round and then they have to go center in the second round, they can find a wide receiver later on. And so I think it was neat that he said that it could be another class like the last one. And believe it or not, Chargers fans and all fans and all people who are ready for their team to draft a player, there are rounds beyond the first round, so they don't have to take a certain position in the first round except for Brock Bowers is a complete unicorn in this class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the one. I think A large conversation about the draft every single year is like, Okay, if you miss out on this player, who can you get in the later rounds that can replicate Maybe not one hundred percent, but maybe that's seventy percent of that player. You know, we do a conversation every year about that. And you know, I think this wide receiver class, you know, maybe you don't get un league neighbors, but maybe you get Xavier Worthy in the second round kind of conversation. Or maybe you miss out on Romo Donze, but you get Tz Washington from North Carolina in the second round instead. So I think that is part of the conversation here. If you miss out on an offensive tackle, can you get one in the second round. If you miss out on an edge rusher, can get one in the second round? Cornerback? Stuff like that. I think that's always an underrated part of the draft conversation is you know, if you can't get that first player, if you decide to trade back, from taking that player, who can you get in the second and third rounds? And it sounds like, thankfully for the charters, that a lot of their positions of need have really deep classes that this year. And I have really only started to dive in a little bit to Day two guys here, but it sounds like wide receiver, corner, edge rusher, defensive tackle, offensive line. Those are all groups that are very deep and the Chargers could certainly find some impact players on Day two if they play this right in April.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll take Trevor's word at that for sure. I'm excited to die into these players a bit more and see who there is out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, I think the Charges are set up really nicely. I think the conversation about training down I think can be a really realistic chance this year with how good these classes are. Later on, Tyler, any final thoughts about our conversation with Trevor, Or, any draft take that you want to kind of get out on the hot press, so to speak.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not ready for that yet. It's January. I'm starting to formulate my board. It's a whopping thirty two I think so far. But what will slowly climb. I don't know how we always get to one hundred and fifty or two hundred each year. Apologize to my wife in advance for locking myself in our room and watching nothing but film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every single year, I start my film process like I'm only going to do like one hundred this year, and then I get to like one hundred and fifteen. I gotta keep going, you know, gotta get the board out there. So I love the draft. You know, obviously, you know the season is the season, but just there's something different about, you know, studying a draft prospect and finding like what things they do well and how they could fit in certain offenses and sort of certain defenses and things like that. So I'm excited. Man, It's a It's a good time to dive into things. Obviously, the Chargers are a bit of a coaching search GM search right now. We felt like we wanted to kind of take a step back as we waited for the rest of the news to come out over the next few days, a few weeks maybe, and dive into the draft. So hopefully you guys enjoyed the episode today. Appreciate Trevor again for coming on, and we look forward to having him on next month as well, so we'll cover the coaching search and the GM search on our own channel, the Guilty of Charge Podcast. Make sure subscribe there, subscribe here, like videos, comment all that good stuff. We really appreciate you guys and all the support you can do in the show as always, So that's going to do it for us today. We'll see you later as always, both time