Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Big, big shout out to our super producer, mister Max Willims.
Speaker 2: What isn't that a thing? Is like a military thing? Who Ah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's whoa, there's Hurrah, there's Nathan Otowski.
Speaker 2: Hey, what it's like one of them's for Navy seals, particularly in particular.
Speaker 1: Believe yeah, I believe. I believe there are a couple of different ones. It depends on the branch. And one thing we can tell you folks as civilians, just ask, don't they're gonna take it the wrong way if you if you do an oohrah when you should do a hoorah?
Speaker 2: What about a huzzah? You can never go wrong with a hussa. I like as I like us very ren fair. Yeah, I've been bowling. You're no brown, and we are here in person. Nathan Otowski by the way, as a dear friend and coworker of ours. Not that people don't yell Nathan Otowski in the arm service. That'd be cool. I was about to say, it really does work as kind of an exclamatory. Yes, my goodness, love it, love the energy.
Speaker 1: This is a two parter that has a lot of returning or turning guests and events.
Speaker 2: Today we're coming in hot with that big bowing energy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we're gonna make it off the plane, hopefully in one piece. Boeing's been getting u Boeing has been getting put through the pr ringer.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, because of like shoddy workmanship. Okay, let's not blame it on the folks to build the planes. It's more probably a top down issue, perhaps with maintenance and checking on things like windows, seals, And wasn't there something about a door flying open? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, fight club style and regulation and why regulation is important. We've talked about this on one of our other shows. Stuff they don't want you to know. We also are returning to some wacky World War II stuff we wanted to w w way, sorry, perfect, We're returning to this because we wanted to explore a story about Bowie that is not the the unfortunate stuff you're hearing in the news today.
Speaker 3: Folks, also being what this episode is, is this some sort of anniversary It.
Speaker 2: Is our Washington episode? Oh snat, yeah, take that sous John. Yeah, yeah, he gave that up long ago. It was always a ruse. But I'm holding out. We're taking it serious. We're taking it. We keep our promises. I have an entire doc that's right, crack at all, that's right.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to eventually expand globally, like we have to get to territories once we run out of states, and then it's gonna be wild.
Speaker 2: Giving me ideas right now.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love you know what. We're idea people, Max, We just hand out ideas. We're regular Don Draper's orphan factory. Oh boy, Yeah, that's the name of my new noise metal band.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's not just a phrase that I threw at you. We discussed this off Mike, but today on Mike we're discussing something different, some very crafty tactics deployed by the Boeing Company that folds in the kind of stuff that I think we all love, uh, involving theme park design. That's right, Yes, I do love this.
Speaker 1: What a great way in because this takes us back to the time when everybody was striving for some sort of edge in World War two.
Speaker 2: Supremacy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of out of the box ideas like balloon bombs. We did an episode on that the bombing runs in Oregon that Japan very unsuccessful.
Speaker 2: They were bomb bombs. They bombed, they bombed on the bomb run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so the bomba aside, we do know that people started taking they took the threats of these bombs very seriously, and they started going through some dare we say, ridiculous steps to protect themselves. And one of those things, the reason we're mentioning theme parts here, one of these things was a move of subterfuge, right, a feat of Imagineeri.
Speaker 2: Telling lies no Papa. According to Rare Historical Photos, which is a beautifully descriptive name for a website, Deceiving the enemy as to what you are doing is not new. Trying to hide positions from observation is not new. Trying to hide whole factories from aerial bombing during the Second World War, wait for it was new?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Okay, So it's true story, folks. The US tried to hide their aircraft factories in plane site p l a inn.
Speaker 2: It's a site gag, you got it.
Speaker 1: So they're in a pickle because they have to have these factories. It's a huge infrastructure.
Speaker 2: And very large. They're very visual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're not. They're not easy to move, right. You can't just hop on, you can't just toss them on a pickup truck. So they had to figure out a way to hide the factories. Uh, and they pulled it off. We want to give a big special shout out to Bill Yane over at Boeing one, who wrote Boeing Wonderland the Fake Cities on America's West Coast for Warfare History Network.
Speaker 2: That's one of our primary sources. Well, it's one of our primary sources because Bill, I believe, is the descendant of somebody who actually was directly involved. So I mean that's the best primary source we could possibly have here. So we will continue to shout out Bill throughout this because we are liberally pulling from his incredible work and research. Bill Big Bill, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wild Bill Wild, Bill son of the employee at Boeing. PLAYT two really quickly before we jump into it. Have you guys seen the television series The English it is?
Speaker 2: I believe it. It was a BBC production. I think it's on Amazon now. Its stars Oh my goodness, she played Mary Poppins and the Mary Poppins reboot. She's married to the guy for who plays the dude who looks at the camera all the time in the office, who's also i think Jack Reacher or something. Anyway, I'm not forgetting is her name anyhow. It's a Western and it is incredible. Emily Blood, Thank you, Emily Blood. It is a Western and it is sweeping, John. It is sweeping in its scope, absolutely beautiful cinematography, music, and the performances. And it's another in what we're seeing in a long line or medium line of shows that really show accurate depictions of the indigenous experience really really dogs lately, and this one does that as well. And it has some of the most menacing big bads that you get a couple of them throughout the series, and it's a limited series. Get you to a streamer and watch this as soon as you can. Brought I don't even remember. I just wanted to Yeah, I just wanted to share about No, there was something that came to mind just just about the American wests and our fascination with it, and it's how, you know, it has always been a place of innovation and striving and kind of you know, the sort of personification of what is quote unquote the American dream and spirit, which is oftentimes a freaking nightmare right right.
Speaker 1: And also, uh, as anybody because a fan of history knows the weird thing about these so called wild West is a very short period of time in American history.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you the I know what it was, you called him wild Bill, Yeah, and that's what That's what we got there. That's perfect.
Speaker 1: Uh. This is also uh, I agree with the point about the romanticization of the West as as this idea and this symbol, and that holds true even even today. Like we have to realize that during World War Two, as weird as it sounds, people were extremely, extremely worried that Japanese forces could get across the Pacific because they did it in Hawaii.
Speaker 2: It's an entry point. I mean, it is sort of the frontier of Like That's why I mean, I think it has so much romantic kind of thinking around is because it is sort of like the end of the line or the beginning of the line, you know, depending on me. Obviously there's the East coast too, but the West Coast is where this literal enemy that we were facing would potentially access and invade our country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and picture it, you know, as a Bill is writing in his work for Warfare History Network. Within just a month of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese forces conquered Manila in the Philippines, and then Hong Kong and then Singapore fell. So there was a lot of expansion, a lot of violence. And you can't blame people living in the US for happening by the West coast and looking out at the horizon, as Bill says, and half expecting to see a Japanese invasion fleet.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting is, you know, there's this new Godzilla movie, Godzilla Minus one that everyone's screaming about. I haven't seen that very so that's what I've heard. I'm very excited to see it.
Speaker 1: But I liked Monarch too, by the way, to show this show, Yes, I mentioned that because Godzilla has always been kind of a stand in for nuclear war and you know, attacks from outside, you know, in the Japanese kind of mindset.
Speaker 2: But you also picture that view of a beach and the horizon and the things coming towards you, you know, this impending doom. So I think Godzilla could also be sort of a stand in for the idea of like an invading force. You know, yeah it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's a powerful, powerful symbol. And weird thing about Japan, Godzilla is super popular. Like it's not a stereotype, it's not weyu boo stuff.
Speaker 2: People in Japan get excited about Godzilla. Godzilla is awesome, and there's different flavors of him. I'm trying this new one. He's a real pill. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there's the force of nature one the Great Defender Cang versus Godzilla is great. But people right now are they're having that moment you described. They're looking out and they're just waiting to see a disturbance in the water, a ship on the horizon. And civilians are affected by this propagandas everywhere Japanese Americans are getting interned.
Speaker 2: In just a stunning misstep of justice.
Speaker 1: Prison camps right right, yeahah, and the top brass is also very worried about this, just like American civilians. Let's introduce General John help me with this one, John, liz Ny.
Speaker 2: That's a risk. That is what you'd call unga paka. You know, it's like they just a hat on a hat, like wouldn't Lesnie be enough. It's got to be.
Speaker 1: It feels like it feels like if you went into a really authentic Italian restaurant, they would say, oh, we don't serve lasagna here, we serve the authentic dish.
Speaker 3: We serve, we serve they shall we served that a really unauthentic Italian place too, Like they just don't know how to pronounce that.
Speaker 1: We cannot legally call this lasagna. Uh so for tax purposes, it's Lesney.
Speaker 2: And much like revenge is to dish best served cold. But we do have General John Lesesney do it, do it? And he is the commander of the fourth U. S Army and the Western Defense Command, and he's his imagination is running a little bit wild during these times as well, much like the civilians who are picturing these invading, you know, forces coming in from the beaches. But he's someone that can actually do something about it. Yes, yeah, he has shaped his thinking and his strategy. Yes, he has the agency here. And he is super paranoid.
Speaker 1: He's staying up awake at night, worried about spies and sabatures in every nook and cranny of the West Coast. And his fear is what he uses to justify the enforcement of Executive Order nine zero sixty six. This is the one that led to the prison camps, the internment of all Japanese American civilians, including of course people who just had Japanese grandparents. You know, they're like, dude, I'm from Pasadena and they locked him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we know that the thinking around race and ethnicity during these times was very black and white. I mean, no pun intended there.
Speaker 1: Shout out to George. Oh, Goshulu, George, Ta kai George.
Speaker 2: That's right. But de Witt he also ordered that the nineteen forty two Rose Bowl football game be moved away from Pasadena because he thought that it would be a pretty excellent target for a Japanese attack, and perhaps in its symbolism, you know, in what it represented, and also, you know, obviously a large crowd a massed in one place.
Speaker 3: Important side note right here, do you guys know who won the twenty twenty four Rose.
Speaker 2: Bull I have absolutely no could I possible? University of Michigan, right, Maxis you really had to drop that? Yeah? This this Brie's been ready.
Speaker 3: I wrote this brief for when I was going to be in Seattle on October and we're just now recording it. We could have recorded it then and I wouldn't be able to celebrate that my University of Michigan Wolverine.
Speaker 1: I actually for you, I'll text Alexis to a code name Doc Holliday Jackson over on stuff they want you to know because she is from Michigan and like you, Max, Well, actually, like everybody I met from Michigan super into Michigan based sports teams, so she probably already knows. But this point about overarching paranoia almost Orwellian in its scope. It reminds me a lot of the months after the attacks on September eleventh, and every news channel we went to, every local affiliate. You would have someone far inland, in a rural area and they would say, well, the terrorists are going to hit our town next. You know, our town with a population of seventeen hundred, right, Because I distinctly remember, I think was a Fox News affiliate. I was interviewing a lady somewhere in Oklahoma, I want to say, and she was worried terrors were going to attack because there was a new Walmart being built.
Speaker 2: Yeah, paranoia can get very compartmentalized in that way and can cause some pretty serious myopic thinking, you know. But this wasn't unfounded though, as the thing, I mean, we had a precedent, you know, with Pearl Harbor, with all of these events in the world going on, and the power of the Japanese you know military, I mean they were good. They were good at what they did, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a lot of shock and awe. They had overwhelming forces. And as the general here he is, he is incredibly aware of the possibility of being overrun by Japanese forces. He's looking at his ground troops and he's saying, look, all the folks under my command, that's not enough. You know, if they roll through the way they rolled through Manila.
Speaker 2: Well, and they not only were strategic, quite advanced, and technologically quite advanced, they had, you know, soldiers pilots that were literally willing to die for the cause, not just to put themselves in harm's way, to be the bomb, to be the bullets. You know, it's pretty powerful. Just and knowing that, you would think, well, what won't they do exactly what are they capable of?
Speaker 1: And he shares this concern. As paranoid as it may sound, this was a very understandable and common worry amid civilians and the military alike. And it was backed up by Japanese actions. Japanese submarine shelled different oil storage facilities ten miles from Santa Barbara, California. So they're in America's back door. And that was on February twenty third. I want to say, so the next night, people are so freaked out that gunners who are keeping the night watch are convinced. They see I almost set a flock and ar moda of Japanese bombers heading over Los Angeles, and so they start shooting off aircraft shells. They don't wait to verify, and they start flooding the night with search lights, and people are thinking of the London Blitz.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, I mean, there's precedent for this kind of stuff too, that's already been kind of seared into the American consciousness. You know, the idea of these blitzes leveling cities, creating sort of like images of Hell on Earth scenarios.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very very logical. You know what happened in Hawaii, you know what happened in Hong Kong, in the Philippines. There is absolutely no reason to assume California would be immune to those kinds of actions. And this is where we introduced the Navy Secretary Frank Knox. He announces, hey, guys, the Battle of Los Angeles. That's a false alarm, even though by this point people are already saying, like, hey, was UFO.
Speaker 2: That's right, we talked about it. I got to say, that's the Battle of Los Angeles. Something we've talked about on stuff that I want you to know, because there were, you know, within a vacuum, you know, you kind of conspiracies run amok. You know, people start to think about what it could have been. They're certain looking for something with search lights, you know, going wild, shooting our artillery rounds, you know, into the sky and there's nothing there. But that's what paranoia does. And when you have people who are really paranoid at the top of the of the food chain, right, crazy things can happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this LA situation is a false alarm. But the Santa Barbara situation is not. This is the attack on the oil reserves, right, this is the attack on Fort Stevens.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Okay, there was another thing we talked about earlier. Where there were bombings of oil reserves, So you're right. We talked about the Santa Barbara incident where Japanese submarine I seventy five destroyed oil reserves. Now also on the West coast, a little further up north, though, we've got activities of this same kind happening in Washington State. Japanese submarine I twenty five attacks Fort Stevens two nights in a row. Yeah, it's looking ugly.
Speaker 1: And then in the same month in June, Japanese forces we talked about this in previous episodes, did they invade and occupy the two Aleutian Islands. So check out our episode of the Battle of the Aleutian Islands. And this is terrifying to Uncle Sam because now there is an active Japanese base on the doorstep of Alaska. Merchant ships are being sunk left and right off the West coast. Attacks are coming from the air. There were these couple of these bombing missions over southwestern Oregon, which we covered in another episode, and that's actually kind of a wholesome story that one absolutely the bombing goes so terribly wrong, and then the guy who who bombed on behalf of the Japanese, a gentleman named Nobu Fujita. He ends up becoming like the most popular dude in that town. It's kind of that's worth The reason is.
Speaker 2: It is, it has it has a cuddly ending. And again, huge shoutouts to Bill Yen for a lot of this chronology. And you know, I mean, we've talked about all of these events separately, but it really does take a very discerning eye and a historians kind of mind to put all the stuff together, you know, to create kind of a bigger picture of what we're talking about today.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, And for each of these things that we can verify actually occurring, there were at the time hundreds of other weird rumors, you know what I mean, like well, the Japanese are getting into our schools, or they're going to get in.
Speaker 2: The water infiltrating you know. Yeah, yeah, I mean, it's it's like Red Scare type stuff, only worse because this is a hot war, right you know, And.
Speaker 1: So we've established this deeply, deeply paranoid vibe of the US, especially on the West coast in nineteen forty two. At this point, Axis armies both in the European and Pacific Theater seem unstoppable, and people are beginning to think increasingly it's only a matter of time before the shoe drops and America is attacked directly. And so shout out to one of our favorite catchphrases. America decides to beef up and they're like, we got to get this infrastructure going. This had been this has been kind of in the works already. I think it was nineteen forty so before Pearl Harbor, President FDR said, look, my fellow Americans, we need like fifty thousand fighter planes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an insane number. You know, that's a lot of the standards of those days for sure. And at that point, just to hit home, like what a huge ask that was, the Navy and the Army Air Corps had less than ten thousand. I would say, of what that number would be around a fifth. It's a hell of a spinoff, big time. Yeah, And you know, we know manufacturing technology has come a long way since then, but it still takes a long time to churn out these types of you know, aircraft. This would be a damn near impossible ask, you know, in the time they would need to accomplish it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like a new deal level of centralized planning, which is that kind of military direction is a little bit too close to socialism for a lot of FDR's opponents. But everybody decides to kind of put these internal disagreements to one side and say, look, we can figure it out after the war. Right now, regardless of your political ideology, your socioeconomic demographic, we can all agree that aircraft factories are the most important thing we have going on right now. We need to mobilize private industries and force them to make planes. This is a really interesting time for car manufacturers too, because car manufacturing figures out, Yeah, they're making tanks now.
Speaker 2: Same with like I mean, on the other side, we had in Japan, you know, like Japanese toy factory and stuff that we're taking their tin and using it to make these things. And then once they maybe it was the other way around after the war ended, then the ten was repurposed to start making the toys. It's interesting stuff, just the way like you know we see it with like Coca Cola even, you know, and like companies that were pivoting you know, their production lines to serve the war.
Speaker 3: I know, Adidas's factory was it used to make anti tank weapons because it was like Audi Dostler's wife I believe, ran on front of like US tanks to stop them from blowing up. It's like it's actually a shoe factory. Let us just make shoes, and like that's what's spared that factory.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a really good point, Max, because what we're talking about today is more of that kind of bait and switch, kind of subterfused, less about disguising one type of factory as another, but about disguising it as something completely different. We're going to get to that totally. Let's hit a little bit of a bit more of the history before we get there, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So nineteen forty, the US administration or the FDR administration creates something called the National Defense Advisory Commission, and they're supposed to herd the cats of this massive level of infrastructure expansion, and Congress just rubber stamps a bunch of stuff. If you can get Uncle sand to open his wallet, then there's not really a limit to how much you'll spend if he's interested. And so they start this new bureaucracy. Because it's still a government outfit, it's called the Defense Plant Corporation. It's operated by existing manufacturers. The separation between government, government and business is very blurred during this time.
Speaker 2: Oh and we got another big bill type figure entering the chat. Roosevelts brought in a hind him William Signius. Big Bill Old Knudsen sounds like a kind of guy that would run like a dealership in Fargo. I think so.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that or a deli that's known for egregious sandwich Knudsence. Yes, is that a thing already? Well, I think it feels like it is.
Speaker 2: There's a TV show or a movie where there's a family called the Knutsens, and it's just it's escaping me. AnyWho, This guy understands the industry of mass production. He comes from the automotive industry that we're just talking about. He was an executive and he was the president of a little company called General Motors. Never heard of it. Yeah, since the Year of Our Lord nineteen hundred and thirty seven was actually the year that my father was born.
Speaker 1: Interesting fact, getting to know you, getting to know all about you. No, that's interesting, and also it's also it reminds me two of the car stuff. We did episodes of this on car stuff because they have a huge resource allocation problem. For anybody's a fan of something like sim city or civilization, all resource management games. Ninety percent of all the manufacturing capability for aircraft in the US nineteen forty ninety percent of it is in five states, and sixty five percent of this manufacturing power is along or near the coast. California, often thought to be the most vulnerable state on the West Coast, has forty four percent of all the aircraft making stuff. They're very visible, they're very vulnerable. The same battle group that had attacked Pearl Harbor had just been camped out two hundred miles off the Malibu.
Speaker 2: Coast, and.
Speaker 1: If they attacked, then pretty much most of the US airplane manufacturing ability would be gone in moments. And everybody knew this. This was an acknowledged fact. They said, we're gonna build these factories Inland. We're gonna go to Illinois, Michigan, shut out max Missouri and Texas.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But like you said, Noel, they still need time. You can't just do this by Tuesday. No, No, this is very nuts and bolts literally. So it was clear that this is going to require a lot of planning. Ka Nutsten obviously had the smarts, you know, to understand the organization of a giant company that manufactures, but they also needed someone that really could dial in the logistics of all of this stuff, you know, in reality on the grounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they needed a guy who thought out of the box, and they found that person, Major John Francis Omer Junior. Let's learn a little bit about him. He's an Ohio guy born in Dayton, eighteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Buckeye state, isn't that one? Ohio is?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Cool, and he is.
Speaker 1: His father is an inventor, manufacturer, a business owner. And John gets a master's degree in engineering, sort of following, you know, his father's inventive footsteps. He has attended Cornell University, he joins the military, uh service in World War One, and then he when he comes back from the war, he's in the family business. But he's still he's still a member of the Reserve Corps.
Speaker 2: You know. It's interesting. I was thinking about how, when we talk about the history of the country at this time, a lot of the top minds and top you know kind of thinkers were military officials as well, because it was just the thing to do, right you know. I mean it was like, yeah, if you want to be considered a team player, you were going to join, you know, the military. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting you mention that, because I think culturally in the West, for a very long time, it was considered the right and moral thing. It was like it was a right of passage. You didn't need a law that said everybody had to join the military because it was expected to do so. It wasn't until the US became increasingly siding Vietnam War, Drean War and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people really kind of trusted the government to a certain degree, and at least on paper, you know, the government was maybe a little more trustworthy. I don't know what you think that's me. I don't know. I don't know, man, we I mean, neither of us were there.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's it's probably demographically dependent, right, So I'm sure if you're a straight white dude, then things are better.
Speaker 2: Opportunities abound. There we go, there we go.
Speaker 1: And so, uh, there's another fact here that just really sticks out to me. Our buddy Omer is a renaissance man. He loves photography. He is an amateur magician.
Speaker 2: I love magic so much. I don't trust age magician. Hey, that's fair. I find him smug enough. Hey, look, it's all it's all in your stage banter. But I've always been fascinated with sleight of hand and like you know, stage magic, close close up magic is super cool. I know one cool card trick where I can make a card disappear, but that's all I've got. But I'm big fan of that, and it just you know, I see what you're saying. It is a it is a discipline that is entirely based on bullshiting you. But that kind of serves, right, and we're talking about here. It's perfect casting, right.
Speaker 1: So he uh, he starts getting interested in different other artistic endeavors.
Speaker 2: And this is a true story, folks. He gets super.
Speaker 1: Into camouflage like that becomes his hobby.
Speaker 2: And I've just pictoried.
Speaker 1: Like if online dating was a thing at this point, I would love to see this guy's profile where he's like, my interest include camouflage, just the idea of it's a cool look.
Speaker 2: It's easy to take it for granted today because you think about camouflage and you think about it more as like an interesting fashion choice reality, but it is in and of itself a kind of technology, and we start talking about things like dazzle camouflage where they use these weird striped patterns on warships that they borrowed from the wild. They borrowed from the way zebras are able to kind of blend in in a herd and with like the horizon or whatever. Really really interesting and it required a lot of creative outside the box thinking the kind of stuff you might associate with, like the imagineers of Disney fame, you know, who created things like basically visual effects technologies that didn't exist yet or would take you know, existing things like the Peppers Ghost, you know, sort of effect where you could create what looks like a hologram and just take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: And he becomes a one man pitch army. He's always trying to demonstrate camouflage techniques and he's saying, look, I studied the success of the Royal Air Force during the Battle of Britain in nineteen forty. Uh huh, just so, And he says, look, let me show you guys what I'm thinking about. And so he's at Fort Eustace, Virginia making his pitch. He goes to different Air Force bases like backxwell Field and Alabama and people in general seem to agree it's a good idea, but they don't have the budget for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the money's going into making the damn things fighting the actual fight, being as prepared as possible militarily speaking, you know, to camouflage and all of this stuff. Well, very important. Clearly they made a whole bureaucracy with factory Defense in the name. You know, it was important. But he had to kind of sell the brass on some of these more unusual, innovative kind of ideas.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah, So he perseveres and he's traveling all around the country pitching this stuff. In March of nineteen forty one, like so many other people who are in the reserves, he is ordered back to active duty, called to serve, Called to serve, and he gets sent to Hawaii to study defenses as part of his work under the Chief of Engineers Operations and Training Section. So he gets out there to Wahoo and he says, look, here's what we need to do to camouflage Wheeler Field, which is only twelve miles north of Pearl Harbor. And they say this is great. Oh, you're a really smart guy. How much does it cost? And he says fifty grand and they say go home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe we should and maybe we should. Can we do a boop? Can we have fession? I think you know, we know a little bit about military spending, dude, So what are we talking here?
Speaker 1: In nineteen forty one, fifty thousand dollars is worth one point zero four million today, which is high for like a person, but for the military.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hear about budgets in the trillions, you know, but again it's a different time and we're not actively.
Speaker 3: Five thousand dollars hammer or specific hammer they have to use on sealth bombers that won't do something.
Speaker 2: Man. We heard a story a while back about these like coffee mugs, like they have like electronics built in them to keep your coffee warm. It was a story about waste in military spending, and that was a big topic. And I think that they spent like hundreds of thousands of dollars and they went to waste as well.
Speaker 1: I believe that was part of it a bit. There's a lot of crypt too, and there's a well, there's stories to be told about that.
Speaker 2: All that to say, though, one point five million to make sure your factories don't get blown up. Seems like a pretty reasonable ask. I think maybe they just weren't so sure about his methods.
Speaker 1: And here's where it becomes a parable of sorts because after they turn him down and say, okay, we get it. You like magic, we're not camouflaging this. Just a few weeks later, it's December seventh and the airfield gets attacked yep, and it lost most of its planes.
Speaker 2: And it was the same you know, group of fighter pilots battalion or whatever you want to call it that had destroyed Pearl Harbor. So at this point the brass are a little bit more open to some of these outside of the box ideas because they were desperate and they realized that whatever they were doing wasn't working and they needed somebody to kind of come in and rewrite the game plan.
Speaker 1: And General de Witt, you know, like cut back to him in the film here, he is bonkers by this point.
Speaker 2: He's the one that's been already entertaining all of these paranoid Yes, scare we stay delusions. But again, is it just being really prepared exact or is it like, you know, are you losing your marbles a little bit.
Speaker 1: Paranoia doesn't mean you're wrong, is the problem.
Speaker 2: So and when your paranoia is confirmed, it just deep we're seeing. And so our buddy DeWitt is saying, I knew it. I'm not crazy. Omer.
Speaker 1: I need you to develop a camouflage plan for the entirety of the West Coast. And Omer, now our magician protagonist to this story, he says, this is great. I have been thinking about this all the time. I'm not sure if you're aware, general, but camouflage is my primary hobby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this point, and then in two since I was a kid, I could lay completely still under the cover as my parents wouldn't even know I was there. And so this is a dream job for this guy.
Speaker 1: And now we get to the point where Uncle Sam opens his wallet. Price is no object, and so this guy starts saying, all right, I am going to camouflage the entire aircraft industry of California. I'm going to show you a demonstration on one airfield, and then we're going to work out, you know, how how we maintain a working air field while still camouflaging it. And this is crazy because he goes to Hollywood, so creative, I think that's cool.
Speaker 2: Well, it was not for nothing that I was mentioning the Disney imagineers and just how so much of the thinking behind magic and stagecraft things like that goes into the design of theme parks. It's all about it's not exactly camouflage, but it is about, like, for example, hiding infrastructure in plain sight. You know, a lot of the work that goes into, you know, designing ride queues and things at theme parks is to cover up stuff that may be considered unsightly or a peak behind the curtain that they don't want the visitors to have. So there is a lot of overlap in that guy or making a widespread surveillance. Yeah, and it also reminds me of things we see in modern cities in the West today, which is, you know, a facade buildings that are entirely to disguise infrastructure. He did a whole episode on that with stuff they I want you to know, we actually went and discovered some of these fake buildings in person. I think there's a video of that still on the internet. Yeah, yeah, Yeah. Shout out to a con ed for not arresting us. They did chase us off, they shoot us. They did aggressively.
Speaker 1: They did politely but firmly shoot the heck out of us. So so Omer goes to Hollywood and he talks to movie set designers, he talks to scene painters, and these are the top talent of their respective fields. And all of the major Hollywood studios are super duper down to help with this because it's great pr for this, absolutely, you know what I mean. And then later, because of the way Hollywood works, later they can reach out to a general or something and say like, hey, Kember, are a couple of tanks we're filming a think.
Speaker 2: Well, we already know, and I think again, start keep invoking stuff I don't want you to know. But we've read an episode in that about the cozy relationship between the military and movie studios.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as the deal is you can get as a film studio, you can get us military stuff in your in your story, so long as the military looks good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably got like a style guide or something. Oh sure, they just distribute. By the way, I think, I was texted you and matt Our co host and something that I want you to know that I was at a TJ Max and I saw which is where you can find kind of second like tier kind of toys and stuff that nobody wants of the other story. And I saw this line of army toys officially branded army toys with things like you know, tanks and and uh, personnel carriers and things like that. It was very interesting. It sounds uh, it sounds fast, borderline propagandistic. Well I would even short yeah, but but okay, so everybody's rolling out the red carpet.
Speaker 1: The US government is saying take all the money. W the big wigs in Hollywood are saying, let's hook you up with anyone who can help. And if for a time this becomes like a very very busy, big film production to turn Marchfield into a working demonstration of these camouflage ideas, and people in the Army are like, oh, geez, looked at We're at all Hollywood studio now. Eventually they disguised thirty four different air bases in a couple of different states, Washington, Oregon, California, all up and down the West coast. And the biggest ticket item isn't the airfields themselves, it's the manufacturing plants like Lockheed in Burbank or North American aviation inglewood, because again, most of the manufacturing capability is there in just those five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was another story we did about how during World War Two, I believe it was Pairs, they built like a tiny version of Paris that from the sky would appear to be the actual Paris, and they turned all the actual lights of the city of Paris off and lit up this sort of facsimile, sort of miniature version, and that also worked. You know, this is practical effects we're talking about here. I think that's why this one is such a neat crossover between military history and the history of you know, effects and illusion, because that's exactly what they did. They cloaked the factories by essentially building I'm imagining on their roof these kind of facsimiles of suburbs, so that an airplane flying at an altitude of around five thousand feet that's what it would look like. And they knew exactly what that distance, what kind of view that distance would provide, and they tailored it accordingly, right.
Speaker 1: Because remember a lot of enemy aircraft they're hunting by sight, you know what I mean, So if you can manipulate their perspective, then you're going to come out the winner.
Speaker 2: This is kind of what you'd call syops, right, yeah, a little bit, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're monkeying with people's expectations and their senses, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a kissing cousin to syops, and it's just it's defensive rather than offensive. But we know a lot of companies, private aircraft manufacturers, didn't want to wait around for the military to have a plan.
Speaker 2: They were like, they were let in on the plan. I guess though they sort of knew what was going on with some of these test cases or these like sort of case studies. Yeah, they were aware of it. Right, it was a pilot program and they were not and they were not all yet included. So they were like, okay, we get the basic idea. We know kind of how the sausage is being made. Let's make our own sausage. Before you know, the sausage King comes to bestow his sausages upon us. That's the that's omer street name. The sausage is sausage King.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not going to tell you why there's a family, but that's what people called him. Don't fact check us, please, So all right, so we know that we know that Donald Douglas, the owner of Douglas Aircraft Company, decided to be proactive about this. He is very well aware of the camouflage conversation, the innovations that are recurring, and in nineteen forty one he goes to an engineer named Frank Colebaum and says, hey, man, I need help. Can you put together a team that can camouflage my aircraft plant over in Santa Monica? And Colebaum is kind of like a consultant in this, so he says, you know what, I know a guy who's perfect for this. His name is h Roy Kelly. We're throwing a lot of characters in the story today, but I think it's important right for us to learn a little bit about our pal Kelly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and one, once again, I can't shout him out enough Bill Yen for his incredible work in Boeing Wonderland the Fake Cities on America's West Coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bill introduces us to Kelly. Kelly is at this point a pretty storied guy.
Speaker 2: Uh. He is the dude who invented ranch style homes. Whoa did he also invent ranch style dressing?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: That was a cook who invented it in Alaska. Oh that's right now. How did I know that? You wouldn't know that because I hate ranch? Oh so you hate ranch? You hate doctor Pepper. What kind of American are you? Oh? Geez, I like a lot of other stuff. You know what I mean? More, you know, more ranch for everybody else. I'm just the blue cheese guy. I'm a blue cheese got too. I'm not a huge fan of ranch either. It's too tany.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird insists upon itself, it insists upon its pushes.
Speaker 3: Always is the best, either blue cheese or ranch.
Speaker 2: We're sorry for wing sauce. Wing sauce, just generic wingsa guys. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 1: It's taken a lot of effort not to twist this into a conversation about food.
Speaker 2: I ate lunch. I didn't eat lunch. I didn't usually I eat my before I get here.
Speaker 1: But nope, Yeah, so we we've got an appointment for lunch later.
Speaker 2: But for now, what you need to know is that ranch style homes isn't that weird. It's like the home of jajure of America. From that point on, this is the mid century we're talking about here. These types of homes now, of course, are really sought after. You know, but whenever you look at real estate listings or whatever in Zillow, you know, so many homes today are considered ranch style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our buddy Kelly teams up with an architect from California landscape man named Edward Huntsman Trout.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And this guy is famous because he's designed things like Scripts College and Kelly and Huntsman Trout go to Hollywood set designers, in this case specifically from Warner Brothers, and they create a thing that goes on top of the roof of Douglas Aircraft Factory.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a tension compression in structure. It's five million square feet of chicken wire and four hundred poles all together. Like some of it is built to look like those ranch style homes.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: It's from the they outside they're clearly not full houses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of like, I mean, we need to think about class the golden age of Hollywood, those kind of facades where it's it looks like the front of us of a storefront or the atomic towns exactly much the same as as some of the fake buildings that we explored, you know, for stuffing. I want you to know there are these kind of facades or something that looked like a subway you know, entry, but it actually you can't go in and behind it, it's covering up some sort of you know, pipes or electrical equipment.
Speaker 1: And they fill this fake village with houses, fences, even closed.
Speaker 2: Lines home fill town fill. Yeah. And they also an arrested development reference to anyone screeching their head to the point of perspective.
Speaker 1: They do something really clever where they're like, let's build a street grid that looks like it goes seamlessly into the real world in.
Speaker 2: Smart so cool, and then the script kind of gets flipped here from what we were talking about before. Again thanks to Billy In for this insight. Executives at Warner Brothers Movie Studio saw this and we're like, we want you to do that for us, to help, you know, kind of plus up our sound stages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were also like, look, we don't we make movies not airplanes, but from far enough away, our sound stages look a little bit more like aircraft hangers than we would, like, we don't want to get bombed.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. They really do know if you've ever seen like air or even like the Warner Brothers pre roll thing that shows that kind of gauzy, gold hued view. Those buildings, the sound stages, they look like giant aircraft hangars from above, big rectangular buildings, all kind of in sequence next to each other. So they were concerned, Well, they weren't trying to, you know, get him to help them make movie magic. They were trying to get him to help keep them from maybe getting bombed accidentally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And that's a very smart thing to do, right, And add to this, there's a bit of a keeping up with the Joneses mentality because because these studio heads are looking around and they say, dang, there's clover Field camouflage just three miles away. Lockheed's got some dope camouflage. Our studio is literally the only thing that looks like an aircraft hanger.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: So we have to do it because if we don't, we look like the target, the sitting duck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, that's very very interesting, and you know it worked. It worked maybe in ways that were unintentionally kind of hilariously not good. That pilots trying to land in Santa Monica at Cloverfield would occasionally get lost and not be able to figure out where the base was. So that's a pretty good bell weather, you know how. You know, so effective this.
Speaker 1: Stuff was, Yeah, they had to they had to start doing a thing where they would have a guy at the end of the runway waving a red flag to let you know you were in the right place, because otherwise you're like, I'm supposed to land in this town, right.
Speaker 2: I wonder at you what level of classified these programs were, because it does seem that you would want you wouldn't want there to be any chatter about this kind of stuff on places where the enemy could pick it up. So I would imagine it would have been pretty tightly held secret to the point where maybe even some personnel didn't know, you know, what to look for my wife, I mean.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's true because oh and then shut out to atari.
Speaker 2: How's it going.
Speaker 1: I love recording in the studio, man, it's a nice when people drop by. So this sets up the scene for the star of our series this week, the Transformation Boeing's Plant number two. Eventually it was called Boeing Wonderland.
Speaker 2: Ah it sounds like a theme park. It sounds like a place, a lovely place to take the family on vacation.
Speaker 1: And perhaps lovely place to end our episode for today.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. I think we've set up the history really well again, thanks to mister Yen for his incredible research. And we're going to get to the promised Boeing Wonderland in part two of this two part episode.
Speaker 1: And for now, we want to give a big, big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Research associated mister Max Williams. Jonathan Strickland aka the wizd Eves Jeff.
Speaker 2: Goat, who may be returning to the show very soon, I hope so. Chris frasciotis here in spirit his wizard Beard may it ever grow long. Jonathan Strickland the Quizzler. A. J. Jacobs the Puzzler. Yeah, we're not super creative with the names. Well, we didn't make up the Puzzler, we did. It just happens to be the perfect rivalry, which you will hopefully experience firsthand one of these days very soon on Ridiculous History. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.