Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations. It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision make because it's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Hi, I'm Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 3: I host the weekly money Making Conversation Masterclass show. The interviews and the information that this show provides off for everyone. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My next guest is R and B legendary superstar and Grammy now My Naty singer Will Donald my crap brother O Make It SI celebrating impressive thirty five years is in the industry and boasting twenty seven albums to his credit down and continues to showcase his international pills. Renowned as the Princess Sophisticated soul and continues to serve as fan base to his own sophisticated soul record label. Please welcome the money making Conversation Master Class show.
Speaker 2: Will do.
Speaker 3: I gotta all kind of extra now, you know, my frat brother will all kind of.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 2: Oh, good brother, good Man.
Speaker 3: I was I was interviewing Ricky Smile this week and he said, Man, And I was telling him I was interviewing him.
Speaker 2: He said, Man, you know, tell Fred how I go? Fred who? He said, will down it?
Speaker 4: I said, what down it?
Speaker 3: Fred?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I said, you know, tell I interview.
Speaker 3: Will Downand and I didn't know that. So Man, thank you man for being my frat brother man. And because your brand has is what we do. You know, friendship is essential the soul And you're upset and everything you do in the community all thirty five years you've been out there uplifting me with your music and the community again and congratulations, but welcome back to my show because we had a lot of great things to talk about Soul Rising. But before we get to the new CD thirty five years twenty seven CDs, and on my show, I try to allow celebrities or entrepreneurs like you to give parting words or information of how they can do it, because it's never overnight.
Speaker 2: How did you get started, Well, Donnie in the music business.
Speaker 5: Well, I started primarily as a background vocalist and in the mid early to mid eighties, so I sang background for any and everybody that would call, and I put out a bunch of records under assumed names before I decided to become a solo water. So I had many twelve inch records out under different names on different labels, and my name started circulating around the city, and you know, in the music industry, they said.
Speaker 4: Well, who is this guy, Who's who's got to sung on this one? What's got to sung on this same guy?
Speaker 5: And then eventually someone kind of said, well, if he's doing all these records for everybody else, would he be interested in doing his own record? And in eighty eight I had the pleasure of signing a solo deal with Island Records, and that's how my career started.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I had an international success initially, and then around my third record, I released an album called A dream Fulfilled and it had songs like I Try and I Go Crazy on there, and I was able to kind of come on back to America and you know, solidified career here. So yeah, that's kind of how I got started, and then subsequently I released an album every year or two since then.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the domestic pictures to US an international because I've heard all this that I met over the years, say, man, you get paid.
Speaker 2: You know, the there's a different audist out there.
Speaker 3: Your music doesn't die as quickly as it dies in the US. Because you said launch internationally. What are you saying when you say internationally when it comes to music, Well, it's.
Speaker 5: It's interesting the Europe and the United Kingdom, the UK, the London, Manchester, Birmingham, all the surrounding cities, they are not as single driven or singles driven as America is.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: For us, we play a single, we try to beat it to death at radio, and then once that's kind of done, we move on to the next one, and then after that, basically your album is done.
Speaker 4: It's it's complete.
Speaker 5: Over there, they kind of dig more into the project as a whole. So you know what, we have what we would call B sides here, kind of records that's kind of off the beaten path, that's on the record, but not necessarily single, they kind of gravitate towards and they love that stuff, and they taking the whole record, so you know, they're into who played on it, where it was recorded, you know, all that sort of stuff, and kind of like the way we used to buy records. We would buy a record, we'd look at it and kind of get into the meat of the record.
Speaker 4: They still are into that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: And you know when you go over there, that's singing along with you, and it's a real treat man. I mean, and when I say Europe, I basically mean the world because even that sort of thing happens in Japan as well.
Speaker 4: Like they're really into the music.
Speaker 5: They may not be able to understand, uh specifically you know what I'm saying or what you might be saying, but musically, you know, it crosses all, you know, all anything.
Speaker 4: You know, people just know music and know how it makes them feel.
Speaker 3: So so soul Riseing is what we're coming on the show to talk about.
Speaker 4: How do you.
Speaker 3: Break your music to the industry now that you know you have an international market and you have the US market, and the US market can be frustrating because of the fact that these records stations, these radio stations are dominated. I remember in the two thousands where rap took over. It was like if you if you wanted to sing, you have to be on a rap song to sing to get your music played. That was like frustrating for me because I grew up on R and B and so I knew that R and B was my base.
Speaker 2: But rap had took over.
Speaker 3: So where's the industry now when it comes to playing your type of music?
Speaker 5: Well, it's funny, man, you hit on something or you're you're about to say something. That is a reality for us as artists, but it may not be to most laymen who or not in the music business. Is that a lot of these radio stations used to be independently owned, especially for black stations, it used to be independently OneD. Like here in New York we had like WBLS, which was a black owned station, or in Los Angeles you have like a kJ LH, which is owned by Stevie Wonder, which is a black owned station. Those stations are kind of gone, you know, by the wayside, And a lot of these stations now are part of like a much bigger conglomerate. And the unfortunate part with that happening is that there may be one person making a decision as to what gets.
Speaker 4: Played across the whole country. So it used to be like the East coachs, the Northeast had a sound, the South had a sound, the midwest Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis had a sound, the West coast had a sound, and the radio stations used to cater to that sound and local artists were able to get played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 3: You know when I was with Steve Harvey and we syndicated and we would have eighty cities. They would controlled WBLS wails. You mentioned that KJL Stevie wonder we Will mentioned that, and member w Elis owned the San Francisco station. They owned their Coloriate South Carolina station, so that music they can control. But when they sold, guess what they got swallowed up and it became under doc Doc who is over all the music for iye haarg and he can dictate I don't want to play that sound.
Speaker 2: I want to play this sound, and it hurts and it frustrates you.
Speaker 3: Why do you overcome that frustration Because a lot of artists out there, they all breaking their music through their YouTube channels, through the internet, but still man.
Speaker 2: Being able to get your.
Speaker 3: Record played on that radio is special and it reaches the masses because it's free.
Speaker 2: How do you do how do you do it well?
Speaker 4: These days?
Speaker 5: You have to have some pretty tough skin to realize that that's going to be the case.
Speaker 4: Right. It's a new world. This is the way they do things now.
Speaker 5: Even from you a consumer standpoint, people don't buy the way they used to now. People stream. For an older artist such as myself, adults do not stream. We don't you know, we ain't gonna get them numbers that are a Chris brown on or or making the Stallion. I'm just pulling these names out.
Speaker 2: Those are true numbers.
Speaker 5: Right right, right, So, but kids kind of stream, older older folks do not. Doesn't make you old. It's just kind of a new way of doing things and we just have not embraced it. So for an artist like myself, I put out records now to almost be like a card to let people know that you're still alive, You're still available, You're still making things happen.
Speaker 4: And the majority of what you do financially, as far as making money is concerned, it's in the live concept.
Speaker 3: Now you now you have a weekly show. Now does that weekly show which also broadcast in the UK and like twenty stations nationwide. Was that a reason that you said, Look, I got to control my narrative. I got to be able to put my stamp on this industry. Give other people an industry who are frustrated, like me, don't have a place to get their music. Gut tell us about your weekly radio show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a weekly radio show called The Wine Down, and I've been doing it since two thousand and eight. And it started because in two thousand and seven, two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, I had taken ill and to the point where I couldn't really tour. I couldn't not really to I could not do it. That was it.
Speaker 4: So I was sort of, you know, regulated to being in my home.
Speaker 5: But I wanted people to know that I was still alive and kicking, and I decided to do my radio show. And what I decided to do was to give artists, as you said, for a young and up and coming up and also more established artists that didn't have the cachet that they used to have with mainstream radio, give them a platform for their music to be played and It's been like that since two thousand and eight. So I do this weekly show and I present you know talent I you know, knew an upcoming talent and established talent. So and I also featured myself as well. Let me give myself an outlet. So you know, if you don't patch yourself on the back, ain't nobody else gonna do it for you.
Speaker 3: So absolutely so Soul Rising, that's why you're on the show.
Speaker 2: Talk about this new CD. What number is this? Is it twenty seven to twenty seven?
Speaker 3: Twenty seven out of thirty five years of live performance and production, going from a backup career to somebody tapping your the shoulder or hearing your voice say I want to give you a deal at Island Records.
Speaker 2: To now longevity.
Speaker 3: I look back, Will, and I go, you know, because youth is amazing, because you don't see forty, you don't see fifty, you don't see sixty. And now that I look back now, I go, wow, I did all that, and I'm not saying I did anything wrong, Will, But then I know there's more that I can do. And that's when I think of Soul Rising. It's that why stop age shouldn't stop me, so tell us the whole per some soul rising and what initiated this particular seven there's seven songs on this CD, right right?
Speaker 2: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 4: Correct? Correct? Well, I mean I still have a song in my heart.
Speaker 5: I still have something to say, and I try not to fall into that category of agism, you know, and say, Okay, you've been doing this a long time, you should stop, like why. I mean, I still think I sound decent. I still have my ears to the street. I believe that there's a bunch of people out there that feel the same way that I do in regards to what I'm singing about. And for this project, this is probably the most special project that I've ever done in my life. At the beginning of twenty twenty three, I had a very unfortunate thing happened to our family. My daughter passed away. Yeah, January eleventh, My mental daughter, Shavon, who was thirty one at the time, passed away. You know, she committed suicide. She was dealing with mental issues and she was bipolar, diagnosed bipolar and uh. On the eleventh, you know, I received a telephone call from my from her mother, my wife, that they found her, you know, in her apartment Dead. Yeah, they listen. No one is no more sorry than me, you know, trust me. But she was also the inspiration for the Soul Rising Hents.
Speaker 2: But was put I called Till We Meet Again? Right?
Speaker 4: Till We Meet Again?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So yeah, So the the the the album and especially that song is to celebrate her life and.
Speaker 3: Because because I listened to that song when it came out, because you were kind of mad from a from a why didn't you tell me at the beginning of that song? Because it was It's an honest song. It's a song about frustration, this song about I wish I knew. If you've not listened to or seen the song, Till We Meet Again is a passion plead for help for the person who commit suicide, but also for the person who didn't know and you didn't know, correct, well.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I mean she and I we spoke on a weekly basis, and when she was going through something, you know, we'd always be able to talk her.
Speaker 4: Now you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: If it was something a little left of center that she wanted to do or was planning on doing. It was kind of like ash Shavan, I wouldn't do that, Hey, I wouldn't go there. Hey, maybe you shouldn't hang out with this person, man, maybe you shouldn't. It was a lot of those sort of things and trying to be as encouraging as possible, and we were always able to kind of level out whatever she was going through mentally.
Speaker 4: And in this case, you know, she just left a note.
Speaker 5: Like like Shaman, all these other times where you were going through this, you called, regardless of whatever time it was or anything.
Speaker 4: You made a phone call.
Speaker 5: Every time I would see her name pop up on my phone, I pick up because of you know, not wanting what happened to happen, something to escalate into something that we couldn't control.
Speaker 4: And she just she didn't call. She didn't call.
Speaker 5: She made phone calls to every one in the family days prior, but we didn't know it was going to lead to this. So I guess it was something that she was internally battling, right, and so that.
Speaker 3: That was a connection to it, Soul rising, you know, correct, you led to the first single I Believe, which is what part of My Love, which again going over to the UK, that's where you dropped it.
Speaker 5: Right right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, well you know the world is into music. So you know, you go where you are accepted, not saying that I'm not accepted here, but the outlet for being able to be heard is greater there, and I have more options there as opposed to hear. You know, it's not like we didn't service the record to all of the American stations. It's just that there's some political things and politics that go on and getting a record played that a lot of people don't know about, and it's very difficult at times, and people are slow to jump on the record. But you know, the world jumped on this one. It's a great song for my stepping folks. If you a stepper, your hand dancer, whatever.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 5: That on two step, there you go, There you go.
Speaker 2: Has been five years in Chicago. You know when you say stepping, I know, come on down.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: Don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald.
Speaker 3: That's why I know that when I bring you on the show, my whole thing is not so much to talk about the industry, but talk about the opportunities because I know how this industry plays the music and it.
Speaker 2: Denies I've been there. I've been there.
Speaker 3: When you know when they change the whole music rating, fat Man and Black Radio was like ostracize a lost platforms, jazz was dying and things like that when they changed the media profile.
Speaker 2: And then that turns around to go, well, you know his music is a little slow.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's jazz, if it's R and B, and that m is frustrated because I'm music.
Speaker 2: I make people happy, I make them feel good.
Speaker 3: People want to buy me if you give me a shot, but they don't even give a shot because.
Speaker 2: Guess what they worry about their job. They were about that opportunity.
Speaker 3: But the main thing of me coming on this show is this is a new opportunity. And that's the smartness of what you're trying to tell. Anybody who's listening understand that. Okay, if this says no, find other options. And that's what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Correct, Absolutely absolutely, and that should be everyone's attitude with everything. You know, you're gonna hear more nose than yesters in your lifetime. Uh, and you just have to kind of stick with what you know, stick with what you do best.
Speaker 4: Don't be afraid to take chances.
Speaker 5: You know, you got to live, you know what I mean, You can't just I would recommend not to be put in that box and just kind of say if someone told me, no, someone I can't do this, I shouldn't do this. I should like if that's what you feel. You know, we're living in the world. Now we'll go with what you go. Go for it, you know, but just realize that you're gonna hear more nose than yeses, and then one of those yesses might lead to something else, and you just keep going.
Speaker 3: Okay, where can we get the album? Where can we get to single? Let's put that on the stream. Now, let's start selling your music right now.
Speaker 5: If you want to pick up the album, come to the Prince of Sophisticated Soul dot com the Prince of Sophisticated Soul dot com and you can pick up the new record as well as some of the classic stuff as well. And if you want to find out if I'm coming to a town there, you just go to well Downing dot com and that'll tell you, uh, you know where I'll be and hopefully I'll be in a city, a town or country or whatever near you and come on out and come see the shows. And if you want to catch me on social media, I'm well down in three on Instagram. You want to catch me on Facebook, I'm well down in singer on Facebook.
Speaker 3: When you say when you say you know the benchance, you're talking about million ways?
Speaker 4: Sorry, yeah, nothing felt like this.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And that's what I like to hear when i'm I like to look at As soon as people hear that that piano stuff, hands go up. But brothers are like, yes, I love it, I love it.
Speaker 3: It's really a beautiful thing. Just break down this whole lout you talked about this lead single. Who's producing it, who's participating, who's singing on the album. Let's give some love to everybody who put this together, the twenty seventh album of your career, your thirty five year career as.
Speaker 2: A musical performing artist. Give us some more information by Soul Rising, you.
Speaker 4: Got it well.
Speaker 5: For the first single that came out, Till We Meet Again, I was featuring Nase saxophonist Nase on the project, so that's him playing. I have a bunch of my musical friends that I've worked with over the years, kind of producing and co producing and co writing with me. So people like Randy Bolan on guitar, Chris Big Dog Davis, I don't know if you guys are hip to him, incredible keyboardist and producer.
Speaker 4: Actually, we did a.
Speaker 5: Great cover of a classic Stylistic song, Yours Writer's Rain. If you're not hip to that song, obviously go check out my version, but go back and check out the original as well, featuring Russell Tompkins Junior from the Stylistics, So I kind of give a twist on that song as well. Content wise, as you said, we got our songs steppers. We obviously have the songs that are for those who need to be inspired in some sort of way and maybe it touches their heart until we meet again. A bunch of songs on hire Man, you know, just just doing doing what I do. If you like classic well doubting, you're going to love, love love this autum.
Speaker 3: Well, it's important that people understand that your music, your career, This music is about. This song is what I read, is about healing too. It's about healing for you, healing for people because it's really interesting about sadness and pain and death. It's not something you are uniquely experiencing. Was I was talking to Ricky Smile and he was talking about because you know, he recently lost his son.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, livingly a couple of weeks after.
Speaker 2: Mind yeah, and he was saying that the Ray Sean, I had to go back to work. You know.
Speaker 3: He said he remembered that he was doing a comedy show recently and the people on the front row, they were burying their son.
Speaker 2: It was like on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: They were burying their son on that weekend, and they said, he realized his purpose. And I think that one of the main things where I always give you support because of the fact that I really my purpose is to position myself to continue to support.
Speaker 2: Your music and music like yours, because everybody's not rapping at the funeral.
Speaker 3: Everybody's not rapping, you know, when they're trying to feel good, they're trying to get sexy. You know, it's a music. Everybody don't need music be screaming in their ear. We just need time to find ourselves. We need time to heal, we need time to feel good about ourselves.
Speaker 2: At a pace. That's what your music does.
Speaker 3: Will you will Your music has always done that for me and I just want to remind you whenever.
Speaker 2: You get frustrated, call Reshak Rashan put me on the air. I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 3: I'm so as twenty four my format from a podcast standpoint, being on Fox, Sohoul, being in a platform where they recognize the information and to acquire the camp. It's going to get bigger to load this frat, brother. As I get bigger, the phone calls are going to.
Speaker 2: Be mean a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Not that they didn't mean more, but they're gonna mean more because I want to contribute my growth, my blessings and keep sharing them with you.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: That's a beautiful thing. Man.
Speaker 5: And anytime you need my support, you know I'm there, brother. I appreciate it again. Appreciate you again.
Speaker 2: Tell us where it gets soul rising.
Speaker 3: You know the lead single off thans Is already it was the top thirty in the UK.
Speaker 2: What part of my love? What do you get it there?
Speaker 5: Then you go, I love it? I love it. Come to the fronts of Sophisticated Soul dot com and you can find my music there. And come to Willdowning dot com and it'll tell you if I'm coming to a town city state country need come on before we.
Speaker 2: Go to your tour day? Do you tour like are yours? Bring Guy, Summer God fall Guy. When do you pick up most of your tour dates?
Speaker 4: Well, it doesn't end, it doesn't.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: We're a little bit everywhere.
Speaker 5: I try to do it strategically so that I'm not necessarily in the states that get a lot of bad weather, a lot of cold, So you ain't gonna find me in Minneapolis and in February. So we try to strategically do things. But I'm always on the road. I'm always somewhere man so where East West, we're international. We're going overseas to London and to Manchester and Birmingham and places like that in March. So if you want to come overseas and see an international show and then see how how the people react to the music, there shome on.
Speaker 4: In the words of Michael Jackson, come on, shum.
Speaker 3: And so that means that just go to your website, and the website, the music, the soul rising.
Speaker 4: The everything that you need is right there.
Speaker 2: Everything's there again.
Speaker 3: Fred brother well down In a member of a Mega Side five Fraternity Incorporated. I thank you, Dogie for coming on my show, always supporting me on Money Making Conversation master Class. But know that twenty four it's gonna be a journey. But this journey is we're gonna help each other as always. Now I understand that purple background behind you. I just dinted that. Yes, thank you all don for coming on Money Making Conversations Masterclass show.
Speaker 4: Thank you John appreciation, Thank you.
Speaker 6: For joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts
Speaker 2: The st