Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin this morning with the latest in the twenty twenty four presidential race. On this morning, after the New Hampshire primary and another big night for Donald Trump, with ninety one percent of the votes counted, The former president won the Granite state with fifty four point eight percent of the vote to Nikki Haley's forty three point two percent. But Haley is vowing to press on.
Speaker 4: Now you've all heard the chatter among the political class. They're falling all over themselves saying this race is over. Well, I have news for all of them. New Hampshire is first in the nation. It is not the last in the nation.
Speaker 3: Nikki Haley gave her concession speech shortly after the polls closed, but Trump didn't see it as a concession.
Speaker 5: This is not your typical victory speech. But let's not have somebody take a victory when she had a very bad night.
Speaker 3: She had a very bad night. Now, former President Donald Trump is now looking ahead to a general election, telling his supporters if they don't win in November, quote, I think the country is finished.
Speaker 2: But the next major contest in the Republican race is in Nicki Haley's home state of South Carolina. Bloomberg Political contributor Rick Davis says things could get ugly.
Speaker 3: If she doesn't get out.
Speaker 6: She will face the most brutal assault on her campaign in South Carolina that you'll ever see. All of MAGA will descend upon that state and they will brook nothing for her in this regard. So we've already seen how he plays, and he plays hardball.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Politics contributor Rick Davis says Haley trails Trump in South Carolina by about thirty percentage points in the Real Clear Politics average. As for the Democrats New Hampshire primary, President Biden won that pretty easily, even though he wasn't even on the ballot. He fended off a challenge from Minnesota Congressman Dean Phillips with a write in campaign with eighty nine percent of the vote count and the President took fifty one ze point four percent of the vote. Phillips is a distant second with nineteen point eight percent.
Speaker 3: Now let's get to the latest developments in the Middle East. Amy US forces have carried out air strikes against in Iran backed militia in Iraq. That's after the group attacked an air base where US troops are stationed. Meanwhile, the Wall Street journals reporting Hamas has told international mediators it's open to discussing a deal to release some of the kidnapped Israelis. It's holding hostage in exchange for a significant pause in fighting.
Speaker 2: Bill Ackman and his wife have made their first major investment in Israel since the war with Hamas began. The couple is buying a five percent stake in the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange for about seventeen million dollars. Ackman has been a vocal critic against the rise in anti Semitism since the war.
Speaker 3: And back here in the Usamy, the CEO of Alaska air says he is disappointed and angry with the standard of Boeing's quality control. The planemaker's facing deep scrutiny from regulators and customers after the midair blowout of a door panel on an Alaska Airline's flight. In an exclusive interview with NBC, en Minicucci said the company's found many more loose bolts since then.
Speaker 7: We found some loose bolts on many of our max lines. It makes you mad. Common makes you mad that we're finding issues like that on brandwaar planes.
Speaker 3: Alaska Air CEO Ben Minicucci's comments come after United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said he's dropping Boeing's Max ten jet from the airline's internal plan. The carrier hasn't canceled its order, but says it's no longer counting on the largest seven thirty seven Max model as part of its fleet. In a statement, Boeing says, quote, we are taking action on a comprehensive plan to bring these airplanes safely back to service.
Speaker 2: Turning to the markets now, futures are higher following another record close for US stocks. Also helping boost stocks around the world China's latest move to stimulate its economy, the People's Bank of China said it would cut the reserve requirement ratio for banks.
Speaker 3: He's also getting a boost from Netflix after earnings. That stock is up ten percent in early trading. Streaming giants saw it's fastest growth in subscriber numbers since the pandemic, signing up thirteen point one million viewers in the last three months of twenty twenty three. Co CEO Ted Sarandos is helping to boost ad revenue further.
Speaker 8: Live event programming is something we've talked about for quite a while, and this has been in the works, so used to look at this as fits inside of our seventeen million dollar programming spend. Now I would not look at this as a signal of any other change or any change to our sports strategy.
Speaker 3: In Those comments from Ted Surandos came after Netflix announced a ten year deal to offer live programming from World Wrestling Entertainments starting next year. The platform strong performances in contrast to many competitors. They're operating shrinking cable networks and unprofitable streaming services, and on.
Speaker 2: The flip side, shares of Texas Instruments are down more than three percent in early trading. The chip maker gave a disappointing quarterly forecast, indicating that a slump in demand for industrial and automotive electronic components is dragging on.
Speaker 3: Elsewhere in the text, doctor Amy eBay is cutting about one thousand jobs, and we get more on that from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner.
Speaker 9: eBay says staffing and expenses have outpaced growth and the company needs to be more nimble in the face of a challenging economic environment. More broadly, eBay says it's implementing organizational changes to align and consolidate certain teams to improve the end to end experience.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: The job cuts equate to nine percent of eBay's full time workforce. The company also intends to reduce work for outside contractors. This is the second round of job cuts at eBay in a year.
Speaker 5: In New York.
Speaker 9: I'm Doug Prisoner, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Doug. German software company SAP says it's planning a restructuring that will affect about eight thousand jobs. It's planning to increase its focus on artificial intelligence. That stock up almost seven percent. This morning, Tom Now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world, and for that we are joined by Bloomberg's Johnt Locker.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Johnny, and good morning Amy Worth. This morning, that a Russian transport plane has crashed near Ukraine. Russia's Defense ministry says it carried sixty five Ukrainian prisoners of war. It's not immediately clear what caused the crash. Also not known if anybody survived. Ukraine is marking the seven hundredth day since the full scale invasion by Krumlin forces started. White House officials say they are actively engaged in negotiating another ceasefire between Israel and Hamas that story from Bloomberg's Nancy lyons.
Speaker 12: The idea is to pause the fighting so there would be safe passage for the remaining hostages to return home. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby says the US would support a longer cease fire that would.
Speaker 5: Give us the opportunity to get hostages out and get more aid in.
Speaker 6: We would absolutely support humanitarian pause of a longer length than the week that we were able to accomplish.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, we would, Kirby says. The White House Mid East and North Africa Coordinator Brett mcgoer is in the region right now, engaged in talks in Washington. Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 11: President Biden Advice President Kamala Harris focused on reproductive rights at a rally in Manassa's, Virginia yesterday. Here's President Biden during his remarks.
Speaker 12: As long as I have power of the presidency, know this, if conquerors are to pass a national abortion bent, I will veto it.
Speaker 11: Democrats recently took control of the legislature in Virginia and a proposed to enshrine abortion protections in the state constitution. Apple, reaching a bank or break point in its decade old effort to build a car, has now pivoted to a less ambitious design, and were previously envisioning a truly driverless car. The company is now working on an evy with more limited features. With the latest changes, the company looks to introduce the car in twenty twenty eight at the earliest. And Donald Trump's expected testimony in Ejene Carroll's defamation trial against him has been delayed for a third time. This comes after a juror fell Ill and the former president's legal team reported COVID exposures at a recent dinner. US District Judge Louis Kaplan issued a brief order saying the trial won't take place in Manhattan today as planned. Global News twenty four homers a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now, I'm John Tucker, and this he is Bloomberg Amy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, John, and we bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for that we bring in John stash hour Amy.
Speaker 13: The day began with the Milwaukee Bucks with a record of thirty and thirteen, tied for the second best in the NBA, and then the Bucks shockingly fired their coach, Adrian Griffin, who was in his first year on the job. Assistant Joe Prunt he take it over on an interim basis. But Turner Sports reported last night that the new coach of the Bucks will beat Doc Rivers. It'll be the fifth different team that Rivers has coached in the NBA. Knicks game from ten down and beat the Nets. Nicks for ten and two since they made that big trade with Toronto, Nets have lost eleven of the last thirteen. Denver got thirty one points, a triple double from Nicola jokicch and a win at Indiana New Orleans shot fifty eight percent outscored UTAH one fifty three to one. Twenty four. The Lakers played without Lebron James, fell back under five hundred, losing in LA to the Clippers. Capitol's lost at Minnesota five to three. Danil Medvedev won a five set match over Poland's Hubert Herkis. Medvedev into the semifinals at the Australian Open has expected. Adrian Beltre cruised into the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year on the ballot. A twenty one year career with five teams, mostly with Texas great hitter and a terrific fielding third baseman. Joe Mauer also makes it in his first year on the ballot. A three time batting champion, spent his entire career with Minnesota. Todd heldon that of three sixteen career average his entire career spent with Colorado helped invade it as well. The Las Vegas Raiders have named Tom Telesco their new general manager, had just been recently fired by the Chargers. John Stashyt were Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston, to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 11: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager. Donald Trump is a step closer to clinching the Republican presidential nomination after a decisive win in the first in the nation New Hampshire primary, and now the former president is looking past Nicky Haley to the general election.
Speaker 13: We have no choice if we don't win, I think our country has finished.
Speaker 14: I do I believe if our.
Speaker 13: Country is finished.
Speaker 3: Former President gave his victory speech last night, but Nicki Haley is vowing to press on to her home state of South Carolina, where the contest could get even tougher. Let's check in first with New Hampshire. Joining us once again. From Manchester is Bloomberg News Politics reporter Laura Davison. Laura, they called this race pretty early. Did the vote just pretty much break Trump's way all the way?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 10: They called it, you know, basically as soon as they could, as after all the polls in the state closed, and in looking at the data that came in, you know, Trump just led by a margin that was big enough that they felt comfortable calling it, and as the results continued to roll in all night, that held Nicky Haley needed to either win or come really really close. You know, someone compared it to as she needed to be within three points within a field goal of Donald Trump, and that just never happened. She was, you know, behind him. You know, they're still finalizing some of the data, but she was. You know, it's a you know, somewhere between eight nine percent trailing Donald Trump. And it's just not what she needed to be able to prove to voters in South Carolina and beyond that she has what it takes to be able to beat the former president.
Speaker 3: What happened to that moderate and independent vote that some analysts were saying might break Nikki Haley's way last night?
Speaker 10: So she got a lot of that, but not enough to count. The thing that is tricky about that moderate and independent vote in New Hampshire is that they're they're notoriously hard to pull. You know that if you're an independent in New Hampshire, you can go in and decide whether you want to vote in a Republican or a Democratic race. You know, we did see way way more interest in the Republican race last night, That is where the action was. But there was also a little bit of drama on the Democratic side and that you didn't have Joe Biden on the ballot and said you had Dean Phillips who was sort of a Biden challenger. So that didn't help her in having some moderates and Democrats who were either maybe interested in Phillips or you know, wanted to make sure that that Joe Biden was in fact the Democratic nominee.
Speaker 3: In terms of the turnout, what was the level of turnout? What does that tell us about how the race could go from here as we move on to other primaries starting next month.
Speaker 10: So there was a decent turnout, pretty big turnout last night. The issue going forward is that the race gets less interesting from here, so we're probably likely to see turnout really dip going into South Carolina. You know, unless the fundamentals of this race change. There's a whole month until South Carolina votes. But right now, Nikki Haley is still in the race. She's vowing to stay in. She has the money and end up backing to do so, but not necessarily the political votes there. You know, going into South Carolina, she's thirty points behind Trump. Even this is her home state, So that's not a good sign for her that she doesn't you know, that she isn't more competitive at a state where she theoretically could be.
Speaker 3: And that is the message that the former governor projected in her concession speech, which she gave before former President Trump's victory speech. But what's the messaging behind the scenes. Is it matching what Haley's telling her supporters on the stump.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this is really an interesting place. Most candidates wouldn't be able to do what Nikki Haley has done here. But because she has raised so much money, she had so much interest from Wall Street, she has the cocal lined American prosperity behind her as well as another wealth funded super pac. She can continue to fight even though you know, she didn't have the showing that she wanted. You know, we saw Ron Santez didn't perform as well in Iowa and was out of the race a couple days later. You know, Hailey, you know, has the ability to stay in. The question is will she you know, what are her future political goals. Does she want to sort of go on this quick prodic journey or you know, in a week or two, will she decide, hey, this isn't worth it. I either want to try to run again in twenty twenty eight or maybe try to make nice with Trump. You know, the Trump last night and it took a lot of jobs at her, really indicating that he is not happy with her and that there is a lot of bad blood there.
Speaker 3: And I guess there is a question as well about whether that donor base is going to stay with Nicki Haley if it seems like they're getting diminishing returns on their investment. What are you hearing when it comes to the donor class about whether they can continue supporting Nicki Haley's run.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So the one thing, she has a lot of money in the bank already, so she can continue to take that donor money and continues to funnel it into our campaign. But raising new money at this point is going to be very difficult. She does have the Americans for a Prosperity, that Coke political network that is behind her, and they said last night they're going to continue to spend money into South Carolina, you know, on advertising it and going ahead and talking to voters, you know, door knocking efforts. But it's going to be a difficult sell on to bring in new donors as well as you know, for some of these bigger super PACs that are that are well funded to say, you know, why should they be spending tens of billions of dollars when there is a big election coming up with all sorts of races that these groups are also going to be endorsing and funding.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk to you about the Democratic race as well. President Biden was forced to run a rite in campaign but ran away with it pretty handily. Does that put the prospect of a primary challenge or even a third party bid from Minnesota Congressman Dean Phillips to bed.
Speaker 10: You know, Phillips can do a lot of what he wants to do here, but you know, for him to get interest and really take fire, it was clear that he didn't do that in New Hampshire and it's going to be even harder for him to do that going forward.
Speaker 3: Laura Davison back with us from Manchester, New Hampshire, part of our team of political correspondence covering the Republican and Democratic primaries in this twenty twenty four race. Laura, thanks again for being with us as always, But now we want to turn to the major market moving story of the morning. That would be earnings from Netflix, the streaming giant, blue past Wall Street expectations for subscriber growth for its best quarter since the early days of the pandemic when many of us were locked down watching Netflix. So let's get more on these results. Were joined by Bloomberg's Alex Webb, who's all read in on the tech sector. Is this all about that lower priced ad tier and crackdown on passwords that's behind these blowout numbers?
Speaker 10: Alex, I think that's.
Speaker 14: That's certainly two of the three pillars. Right. So the market was looking for post nine million new subs, Netflix posted thirteen million. I'm you know good, sort of fifty percent beat. The crackdown on passwords is certainly a big factor. They have now got twenty three million advertising subscribers, which is a bit less than ten percent, but still making a difference around the edges. But don't underestimate the importance of good quality content. They've had a few decent size hits shows such as Leave the World Behind and documentary series about the and I will say football player the footballer David.
Speaker 3: Beckham of soccer for our US audience, right, exactly.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so level content is very much the third teller of that success.
Speaker 3: Yeah so, I guess the question is sustainability. I mean, we well, before we get to that, let's talk about the new content that's going to be coming next year. Live entertainment in the form of wrestling. Interesting to see that move when we've got a lot of other streaming services offering Major League soccer, baseball football. What kind of a move does bringing world wrestling entertainment into the fold make for Netflix in that competition?
Speaker 14: It is a fascinating play because, of course it's not quite sports, you know that. I don't want to doubt for a second the athleticism of the of the participants, but a lot of it is scripted, and it's They've made a few sort of tense to plays in the live events space, not with mixed success. This seems to be partly about supporting the advertising business, right, because one of the few places that ads continue to be quite quite successful is in live events. Right. You have a captive audience, you know they're there. That's why even as audiences drop off for things like the Super Bowl, you still see ad prices continue to increase. So having that supports that business. It's you know, a way of potentially bringing in, of course, a new audience to Netflix. The hope being you're getting through the front door to watch this, and then they might see some of the other content you have and stick around. So there are a lot of ways why this might make sense. It's clearly a substantial amount of money they're going to be paying. It's five billion dollars over the course of ten years. Clearly, the proof of the pudding will be if they then expand it to other sports and go into sports proper because they think this thing is successful.
Speaker 3: I'd suggests Alex that advertising, the ad revenue, is going to be the main growth driver for Netflix, and that's going to be the focus for them as opposed to growing subscribers just in and of itself.
Speaker 14: No, I don't think so. You know, they're going to be pushing on all fronts, right they were saying and the earnings called yesterday that they still see hundreds of millions of households around the world that haven't subscribed to Netflix. Advertising may be one way of getting them on board, particularly in some of the more price sensitive markets, and thinking about places such as India where there's a huge potential, but not necessarily as much willingness to pay, you know, north of ten dollars or equivalent north of ten dollars for a sub. So that's place where advertising stuff might help. There are plenty of other markets all around the world where you could make the case that Netflix remains underpenetrated.
Speaker 3: The time we have left, I got to get your take on Tesla earnings coming up after the bell today. A lot of expectation about how Tesla is reacting this time of higher interest rates and a more squeeze consumer.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's fascinating what's been going on at Tesla, because of course that he had such an early lead in the electric vehicle space, but others are now starting to wake up. And of course they lost the crown of being the world's biggest maker of ebs to the Chinese company byd Bida, of course massively successful, not least in its home market where Tesla isn't quite as big. The Tesla has been discounting significantly in order to get it's demand up. The fascinating insight today will be if there's anything on their outlook for the rest of the year. They delivered one point eight million cars last year. The market's looking for about two point one two point two million this coming year. Any color on that will be a number that is very closely watched black Vestors.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast by six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Serriusxmbiheartradio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Maybe Morris. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak