Speaker 1: It's a late fifteen to ten touchdown Chargers.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 2: Welcome into an emergency podcast edition of Chargers Weekly Money and I don't usually tape in the evenings. It's Wednesday evening and Jim Harball has just been named head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers. We are presented by Microsoft Surface and Buddy, should I just say it off the top? Who has it better than Chargers fans right now?
Speaker 1: Nobody.
Speaker 3: We've been waiting, Chris, We've been waiting weeks, and true to their word, it was an exhaustive search. And thankfully, after that exhaustive search, I think speaking for all Charger fans, for both of us, for a lot of people, they ended up with the person we had hoped they would end up with. You know, it takes two to dance, as we've said, but I could not be more excited about being here right now talking to you about Jim Harbaugh being the next head coach of the Chargers and what it means for this team moving forward.
Speaker 2: It's an unbelievable day and I just I'm trying to rack my brain, especially since twenty seventeen, since the team has moved up to Los Angeles, Like, is there another moment, especially in the off season, that ranks higher than this? I don't think so. I mean, you know, we talked about the search, and you brought up an excellent point last week saying, we can't think that this person's going to be a good head coach. We have to know and we know. We know that this guy just won a national championship. We know that this guy's been to a super Bowl. We know that he's elevated every program he's ever been a part of. He's elevated the quarterback position. And now he's going to be in Los Angeles for a long time. And you know, it's been funny, like the last three weeks we've been talking about this coaching search, and you know, just the comments and hearing from Chargers fans. They didn't want to hear about anybody else, And I was almost a little nervous. I'm like, what happens if they don't get hardball? Because he is option one, two, three, four, and five for every Chargers fan. So I'm glad that this is the end result.
Speaker 3: And people watching and listening can take this however they want. I don't care. I've taken a ton of incoming the last couple of days. Anyway, I don't want to hear it anymore. I do not want to hear it when it comes to the Spanos family anymore. That's it. It's over, and it should have been over for a while. But whatever the perceptions were of them and how they spend money and what was in the past is no longer. It's it's not a viable opinion anymore. I'm sorry. The family spent the billion dollars to move it out to move to LA six hundred million on the stadium, four hundred million and three in relocation fee. They spent a quarter of a billion dollars on a facility that's going to open in June that I think probably went a long way into convincing Jim Harbaugh to come here. They made Joey Bosa the highest paid edged or when James the highest paid safety, Justin Herbert the highest paid player in the NFL when they signed extensions, and then on top of that, they just had the highest paid defense in the NFL. Because Brandon Staley gave him a list of things that he needed and extensions he needed sign players he needed to keep in order to get this thing right, and every step of the way they have stepped up. And the narrative through this coaching search was They're not gonna pay him. They're too cheap. They don't pay coaches. There's no chance they get Harbaugh. It's gonna be another first time guy. Enough, it's over, like there is not there are no more boxes to check for the Spanos family. They have proven every step of the way that they are spending, that they are putting capital into this franchise to try and deliver a Super Bowl to Chargers fans for the first time. I'm in the franchise's history. So I don't mean to get on a soapbox and lecture, but I just I think back there was a moment and I don't even want to mention the person's name.
Speaker 1: He's such a dope.
Speaker 3: But I remember when Anthony Lynn still had a year left on his deal and it was the blowout at the hands of the Patriots, and I remember seeing, you know, people send me things on the social media front. They send me this video, this guy saying I've known the Spanos family for thirty years. I've been doing this job in this in this market for thirty years. No way they eat a year of his contract. Anthony Lin'll be back, He'll play out his contract because they don't play. They don't pay coaches, not the coach. And never heard him retract that statement, never hurt him, didn't at least nobody sent me the apology of oh my mistake. They did let him go year early, and they did pay him out. They're paying Brandon Staley for the final year of his contract, and they're probably gonna make Jim Harball one of the highest aid coaches in the NFL. And I don't mean to start it out with a lecture, but it's been so much of this through this process from the people that just take shots at this team and this franchise and it doesn't hold.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it just does not hold.
Speaker 3: And this is the final nail in that coffin that you cannot say they don't spend money, because this is it. That this was the last piece to that puzzle of what they will or will not, you know, reportedly spend money on.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't just stop with Harball. I mean, he has a staff that he wants to take care of, he wants to bring in best in class in everything. Right, He's not going to do this halfway, and he's not going to go to a place that's.
Speaker 1: Going to do it halfway.
Speaker 2: You don't leave the University of Michigan and become the highest paid coach in college football and leave that for an NFL job. That's just okay, right, you know, the facility, obviously the money, but also putting together. They're a first class staff. I just want to read Dean Spanos and John Spanos's quotes in the in the press re at least real quick, just for folks.
Speaker 1: Who those are fantastic.
Speaker 2: The Jim Harball was just epic. I can't wait, all right, So so Dean goes. Jim Harball is football personified, and I can think of no one better to lead the Chargers forward. The son of a coach, brother of a coach, and father of a coach who himself was coached by the names of Sham Beckler and Dicka. For the past two decades, Jim has led hundreds of mens to success everywhere he's been as their coach. And today Jim Harball returns to the Chargers. This time is our coach who has it better than us? And then John, you don't build a resume like Jim's by accident, and you don't do it by yourself. You need a team. And nobody has built a team more successfully and repeatedly in recent history than Jim Harball. His former players swear by him and his opponents swear at him. Jim is one of one, and we couldn't be more excited to have him back in the Chargers organization as our head coach. So I think this just kind of plays to your point, money, is this this ownership group? I think really from twenty seventeen on, like, let's just not forget when Anthony Lynn was hired in twenty seventeen, he had a really good rookie year, start at one four and ended strong the following year with Philip Rivers under center. Twelve and four you win a playoff game, right, So you know, I think Anthony Lynn earned that extra time with the Chargers. They went to get Brandon Staley because Brandon Staley was in charge of the number one defense in the NFL, and guess what Philly wanted Brandon Staley and a lot of other teams wanted to talk to him too, So they were looking for that young and upcoming coach in the in the likes of or Sean McVay right like that. They were looking for that, thinking that that could be the formula. And guess what, everybody was on board, all right, So you can't tell me that not everybody was on board when Brandon Staley's press conference happened, and everybody was and they started pretty well. They win a different route this way. Jim Harball is much different than all the guys before him, the last three that we talked about, the first time coordinators. He's proven, and I think just pairing him with Justin Herbert money. Justin Herbert's the biggest winner in all of this because Jim Harball plays a style of football where it's not all on the quarterback to win football games. And I feel like we have seen Justin kind of try to put the team on his back and sometimes it doesn't work out. And I don't think he's gonna have to do that anymore. I think it's I think his play is going to be elevated because of Jim Harball. And I think that Jim Harball, although it may take a year or two, right, there's a lot of salary cap and things that need to be kind of decided here over the next couple of months. But the Chargers are really good hands and I think Justin Herbert of anybody here is probably the biggest winner.
Speaker 1: Certainly.
Speaker 3: And you described it perfectly, which is we know the style of football Jim Harball is going to play because he has played it everywhere he's coached, whether that was San Diego, Stanford, San Francisco, or Michigan.
Speaker 1: It is all the same.
Speaker 3: It is physical, it is line play, It is a running game. It is a beat the snot out of you and finish you off in the fourth quarter. And for those that think, well, wait a minute, you got this Ferrari and Justin Herbert and you're not going to take it out a second gear, No, that's not what it is. What it is is, Oh, we're setting you up for the knockout. We're setting you up for the knockout because we've got the heavyweight champ and he's just gonna jab and jab and jab. Because our line's gonna beat you up. The running game's gonna beat you up. And when you're not looking, here comes play action downfield home run. Because the Chargers have a guy that can do that, and there's no better way to make Justin Herbert more effective and to make use with a vertical passing game in a downfield passing game than by having defenses on their heels. How many times during the season did we talk about the Chargers failing to dictate terms? That it had been long been a I felt like almost a mantra of mine that we would discuss this, Chris that why is it that every game they go into they allow the opponent to dictate the style of play. Oh, we're going to let Tennessee drag us into the deep end. We're going to play in a shootout with the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: No more.
Speaker 3: From now on, Jim harbaughd dictates terms. You are going to play a physical, slobber knocker style of football. And I can tell you right now there are three people in particular that we're not happy with the news today, and they are Andy Reid, Antonio Pierce, and Sean Payton because they know what this means. They know what it means and what it feels like to come out of a game that this guy coaches and how his teams play and how his brother's teams play. Because look, they're all Harbaughs. John and Jim are a product of Jack and they all believe, and they're a product of beauchem Beckler, and they are all a product of the same football philosophy, and that is bust your ass in practice, play physically and outlast. And we've talked about it in the past. Tight end with his hand in the ground, full back running God's play power, and you beat the opponent into you beat him into submission, and that's how you win football. And again, for people that don't think that necessarily is in step with Justin Herbert, it is exactly in step because now you have an opportunity to protect, to present to him a counter punch. Doesn't have to do everything. There's gonna be a big old back behind him. I can promise you that. I don't know what his name is yet, but it's gonna be two hundred and fifteen pounds plus and it's gonna be a hammer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe it's Corum, could be could be you know, we saw we saw Pete Carroll do that a little bit, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's the other thing that that to keep in mind. This is someone who just coached thirteen games of college football against some really, really good players, and he perhaps has a better idea of those intangibles, the things that aren't on a stat sheet or aren't a measurable that shows up at the combine. But I remember, in this game, in this moment, this is a guy who stepped up and met the moment, and I those are things that carry over. So you have this incredible advantage going into the draft and going into undrafted college football college free agents of that frame of knowledge and that base that he has, and likely a number of his staff that are going to be coming here with him that are going to be able to share that with the new general manager as well.
Speaker 2: All Right, guys, a big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at Surface dot com. Speaking a new general manager and you know, coaching staff, that's a big thing. At this point, we'd just be speculating as to who's going to be on the staff. You know, you hear the name Jesse Mintzer from Michigan and that style of defense that has been.
Speaker 1: Really got to come. Chris, that has to come.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it comes, he's so good. And you look at what Mike McDonald's doing in Baltimore and just how he has shut down the likes of Ben Johnson and the Detroit Lions offense and Kyle Shanahan's offense and really just just making it miserable for offenses all year long. That style of play I think you can expect with the Chargers. And obviously we will know much more about who's going to be on the staff here in the days and weeks to come, But you know, from a general manager perspective, I think I just saw rap sheet tweet that a Horties from Baltimore is going to be flying in for a second interview. Obviously ties to John, I think you cannot go wrong with anybody in the Baltimore Ravens front office. It's just a it's just a proven track record of success from Newsom to Da Costa to all all the guys that have been there for a long time as well. So pairing Jim with somebody that he's comfortable with, you know, you read the tea leaves and that that could be a potential option here as he flies in, I guess tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like it's down to two. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 3: Right Brandon Brown's in town today for his second interview, and as we do this podcast, he's probably having dinner with the spanos Is right now, or maybe that was something this afternoon, and tomorrow it'll be Joe Ortiz. So if I'm reading the tea leaves, those are your two finalists and it comes down to them presenting their vision now. I would imagine, you know, Brandon Brown presented it to Jim Harbaugh and the spanos Is today and tomorrow it'll be Joe Ortiz that presents his vision to Jim Harbaugh and the spanos Is as well. And it's that partnership that we talked about. And I think for everybody that thought Jim was going to want to rest too much control, I think what we're seeing here is probably some pushback on that as well, that no, I just want to find the right person. Let me you know, let's make sure that you're not going to hire a GM that's a bigger personality than Jim Harbaugh. So you're going to have to find someone that's a good partner with him. He's just done it for too long. He's been too successful. He's too good at what he does. He builds a team a particular way and plays football a particular way. So you're going to have to find that partnership. So I think this is the smart way to do it. Once Harbaugh agrees to the deal, let's highlight a couple that, you know, a couple of the interviews that we really like that we believe resonated with us, and let's present those to coach and make sure everybody's got this partnership. I would be I don't know if there is one, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't discover that there was some sort of connection with Coach Harbaugh and Brandon Brown. I would imagine there's probably something there. I don't know what it is because it came from the Giants and so I don't know. I think it was with the Eagles for a minute too, So not quite sure if there's a relationship there or how the two might know each other, but I would imagine there's there's got to be something in that I think speaks to Hey, you guys, this is this is a lot of work. You know, building a team is a lot of work, and it's not something that you can task head coach with. It's just too hard to do. So you got to find that right partner, and that's what I would imagine they're they're getting into. But just going back to the first point you made before you mentioned Georgiz is I've please, I've got to believe that Jesse Minner is coming with them.
Speaker 1: I just I have to believe a huge part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be, it'd be a huge get offensively. You know, you've heard different names from Greag Roman, Kellam Moore still in the building. It would just be speculating at this point. But I think that we know the identity of what the offense is going to be, and it's just going to be an extension of what Jim Harball has done at really every level that he's won at And having Justin Herbert as the centerpiece isn't the bad thing having Rashaun Slater. But looking at this roster, money man, this is gonna be a lot of turnover. There's been a lot of turnover. It's gonna be a lot of big decisions that need to be made. Not everybody is going to be in that locker room in twenty twenty four. Probably a podcast for another day, but just knowing that you have the head coach in tow, you know, I think it puts a lot of players on notice too, like, hey, this is the new sheriff in town. It's gonna be a lot different than it's been in the past. And you know it's all laid out there now. You know, there's gonna be free agency for a lot of guys. I think. You know, I'm sure Jim has kept his eyes on the league and has kind of skin this roster, skimmed this roster and seeing the guys that he thinks he can win with and guys that he thinks probably should go elsewhere, And it's just gonna look drastically different. I don't think in a bad way, Like I know, it's gonna take some time. I don't want to say that, hey, overnight, Jim Harball is gonna be hoisting a Lombardi. You never know, but there's a lot of work to be a couple of years.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He went from six and ten to thirteen and three in the NFC Championship game in his first year, you know, took a team that was six and ten his first year coach of the forty nine ers thirteen and three. Same players. Now they were really good players. But you saw, you saw the leap from Navarro Bowman the elite. You saw MyDD Brooks the leap, Alden Smith the elite, you know, to all pro level players on the defensive side of the ball. And then Alex Smith, who had almost been written off to some degree. Now y's a team into the NFC Championship game. Frank Gore, who had always been a very steady player, now becomes a Pro Bowl and All Pro level player. Under Jim Harbaugh, they built that offensive line anchored by Joe Staley, and you just think about what that old line looked like under Harbaugh. So I'll give it to you. I don't want to put you on the spot, Chris. But earlier today DJ came on with Petros and me and he said, and I said, what do you what do you make of the roster? How much do you think it's going to chan? And he said out he goes, well, because I was thinking about this, and I'll put it to you and let's see if we come up with the same names. Okay, just give me some names of hardball players that are already on the roster, and the exact same three we because you know, it's not like I'm gonna go through twenty players.
Speaker 1: But the first three, He's like, there it.
Speaker 2: Is Herbert, Rashawan, and Darwin.
Speaker 1: So we did Herbert, We just took off the tape.
Speaker 2: Okay, he Herbert it, yeah, obviously, Okay, so Herbert out of it. Okay, uh, Rashawn, Darwin and Tuley.
Speaker 1: There it is bing bang boom players. And what do you got.
Speaker 3: You got a defensive playmaker and a captain of the defense. You got an edge rusher, and you got a left tackle. It's a pretty good place to start. Yeah, those three guys and.
Speaker 2: Edge rusher, who has who has the effort level of like a Max Fronz who just is always going, you know, like like Rashwan, a big ten guys, So so hardball coached against him. Tully, I think he's gonna a stud. And then obviously, you know Derwin. We know what Drwin has done in the past, and he had a tough year last year, but I could see he might be.
Speaker 1: The only guy.
Speaker 3: He might be the only guy in the building that's more competitive than Jim. Like that's that that to me, is that that's to be able to have those three things in Obviously the quarterback you have anchors defensive you know, pass rusher, left tackle, captain of the defense, captain of the offense. So you've got these foundational blocks that you can now build around, you know, in terms of and then like you said, we can get into it down the road a little bit, but I do think it bears mentioning. You're probably you're gonna need to remake I think the tight end room in the running back room to fit the style of play that Jim Harball requires. You are going to need tight ends to play with a hand in the ground and knock the snot out of you. You're going to need a big back that is going to be a hammer at the end of games and able to change the you know, to change the calculus of a defense as they're trying to get the ball back. And you've got this massive offensive line with tight ends, full backs, running backs that are coming at you. So those those are things which you know, we can get into the number five overall pick and what that means, you know, for does that mean it now becomes a tackle instead of a wide receiver? It does it bring Rock Bauers into play now as a full service tight end or does it still mean you know, I need football, I need I need incredible football players. And that's where the and when you think about the receivers in this draft, you've got the Ferrari and Malik neighbors and and to me and in both a Donsay and and Hairs and Junior, you've got big, gnarly, punch you in the face wide receivers that are physical, that are explosive, that are true difference makers. And so it'll be interesting to see what direction he wants to go there or if you just want to trade out because you know, you need to really rebuild this thing and to restock it and to get a lot more bodies that fit sort of this new style of play that they're going to be getting after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, you know, I think i'd put Henley as like the fourth.
Speaker 3: Like I mentioned him too, and DJ was like, yeah, he goes definitely, that's funny. So he was the other one that I mentioned that the DJ's like, yeah, I didn't think about the rookie Henley, but certain just because we haven't seen him play a lot, But yes, certainly I think that's someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Based on the way he played in college, no doubt it's he. He looks like someone that he can really especially look at those linebackers in Baltimore. Just so think about this, Mike McDonald, Jesse Minner, these are guys that were together. So Charger fans do yourself a favor and pay very close attention to that Baltimore defense. That's what we're talking about. With jesse Minner, that's what we're talking about. He did at Michigan, and particularly when it comes to Henley and Derwin. I want you get a look at Patrick Queen and at Rokwan Smith and at Kyle Hamilton and how those guys are playing. And that's kind of what we're getting at with Henley and with Derwin and what we're going to be looking.
Speaker 2: For money money that the Sunday night game. I think we talked about it afterwards, but I have never seen a more violent defense than the Baltimore defense. Just like the way that they were they were hitting that night, and I know the Chargers kept it close but it's a violent defense. And you know from Patrick Queen to Roquan Smith. Like Roquan Smith, I think he was miked up last week against Hugh Oh. It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable. And if not mistaken, I think Ortiz is the one who had really good notes on on Roquan and and brought him Overge.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, how do you how do you know that, Chris? How do you know that about How do you know that about Ortiz and Roquan?
Speaker 2: Was it on X?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 3: Did you say that because John Harbaugh mentioned it in his presser? And if and if and if you don't think that John's trying to give his guy a little nudge here, knowing that he was having that dinner tomorrow or having that interview tomorrow, If you don't think he wasn't trying to Hey, little nugget, Joe Ortiz is the guy that that was doing all the work on Roquan and convinced us to make this trade. And now you see the benefits. You better believe that's brother sending a signal to brother like, hey, I.
Speaker 1: Got your guy. Okay, he's right here. This is going to be your guy. I love what you's funny.
Speaker 2: I love when the guys do that, though Muddy, like I said, like Les Sneid did. He spent his first three minutes of his uh yeah exit talking about Raheem and it's just you know, you want to brag on your guys, But I mean, yeah, how about that little nugget?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I heard I was watching the pressure today, I started cracking up. I was like, this is too good. John trying to send a signal to the Chargers into his brother. Hey, this guy's been doing it here for twenty five years. He deserves a shot. He's really good. Which is interesting because you know we play the the Chargers play the AFC North next year, so we're gonna be at Baltimore.
Speaker 1: We got a hardball Bowl.
Speaker 2: You don't know it's it's it's in La.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's in La.
Speaker 2: I think it's in La. Let me just check that as we you know this is.
Speaker 3: A or are we in Pittsburgh in Cleveland? You're right, I think we're I think we're in Pittsburgh and we're in Cleveland and we have Baltimore here, yeap, Baltimore, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Right, Because uh fans were saying like, oh, that should be the kickoff game. If the Ravens win the Super Bowl, it won't be. The Ravens are gonna get the rain on the open. But you know what, somebody mentioned Thanksgiving, and I feel like that's the perfect primetime Thanksgiving game. Is the Brothers family coming together in Los Angeles. I have to believe it's gonna be a primetime game, and I think that that may be the best plate for it. So you know, once the schedule comes out, we can we can dish on that, but sure, I don't. I don't know what else you want to talk about right now, because there's so much that's going to come out. As we take this on a Wednesday tomorrow, we're probably gonna get a little bit more intel as to who some of the coordinators he's eyeing, the general manager is gonna come out. I just I'm I'm happy for Chargers fans because you and I see all the same comments and just the way that this is kind of dragged out. Since that that that game in Las Vegas, we've kind of hit different stages of I can't believe this is happening too. All right, Let's let's finish the season two, all right, we're gonna interview cast a wide net. The wide net was casting. I mean, I give the Spanish family a lot of credit for casting this wide net and interviewing the likes of Mike Rabel and Ben Johnson and all these up and comers too, leaving no stone unturned because obviously, you know Jim Harball, you don't know what he's gonna do. You don't know what he ultimately wanted to do. But we found out today. And I give the Spanish family a ton of credit for making sure that they get this thing right. And they closed the deal, and they certainly did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you better coming off a five and twelve season and having six primetime games that probably did not excite the networks too much. Toward the end of the season, they're thinking, probably dial this back now down there like maybe three. No, Jim Harbaugh and Justin Herbert, you better believe there's gonna be a lot of prime time. There's gonna probably be a holiday game in there. There may be a flight to Germany to play the Panthers or a flight to Brazil to play somebody out. I mean, this is this is a this a big day. It's a big day, and a huge congratulations to John and Dean Spanos and to everybody else in the front office that was part of this, you know, Ed and Janie and just everybody that works up there. That's all part of the decision making process, because look, they hired a superstar and you need it in this market. And beyond that, so much more important than that, they hired the guy that everybody thinks is going to bring a super Bowl. It's going to maximize the talents of Justin Herbert in ages twenty six through thirty one at least, and I hope twenty six through thirty six and forty or whatever that the two of them are going to be locked like Belichick and Brady, Harbaugh and Herbert. It works as we said, you know, with alliteration, and it's exactly what this franchise needed. You can't not take advantage of the talent you have at quarterback when it's a quarterback league. You needed someone that was a winner more than anything. We discussed that at nauseum, that you needed someone to walk through those doors at that new facility in June that players look at and go, this guy knows how to win. He's gonna He's gonna kick my ass, you know, in camp and in practice, and that cake walk is over and it's going to be physical, and it's not gonna be fun. He's gonna air you out, he's gonna run hot, and he's gonna hold you accountable and things are gonna be a little uncomfortable, but he's gonna win. So that's all he's done his whole life. And there it just it made too much sense. It made way too much sense for these two parties to get together and do this. Someone as competitive as he is, with the advantage you have with the quarterback, with the situation where you've got both jobs open, to pair it up with a general manager, you've got a top five pick, and you still have anchors, young anchors on your team to build around in Slater to Lee, Derwin and Justin and it just I can't wait to see what it looks like. Like you said, there's still because we're doing this right after the announcement, still a lot to be sorted out. Once the staff gets put together and the general manager is announced, we'll come back to another one and start to break down how this thing might shake out. But for now, you got to play Andy Reid, Sean Payton twice a year. Antonio Pierce knocked the Chargers around for sixty three. Our old friend Tom Telesco's over there. You know, we know what he does with his first round picks. They got the thirteenth pick. Now you got to find a quarterback. Be interesting to see where they go with that. But you know, and that's just the division, Chris, Jim Harbaugh's got to go up against John Harbaugh. He's got up against Mike Tomlin. You know, he's got to go up against you know, Josh Allen and Joe Burrow. This is a gnarly division. And now knowing that the Chargers not only have the quarterback, they have the head coach that you believe can go in with a game plan and win any of these games because he's proven he's done it in the past, all the way to the super Bowl. It's just a completely completely different feeling around this team moving forward.
Speaker 2: They got an alpha now, I mean they got a guy who you know, money. Like you said, there's not many coaches that could come into the AFC West and still be an alpha, right. There's maybe Belichick and Harball. I don't think there's another coach. Yeah, maybe Vayble to a smaller degree, but you have Harball and I just I was thinking about this because you've been the voice of the Chargers since they moved up to Los Angeles in twenty seventeen, and there's always been kind of stages here, right. You know, it's very hard to move a team. They were at the stub Hub Center and Dignity Hell Sports Park for a few years. The big shiny Sofi Stadium was kind of you know, it was a little that sobering when COVID happened and you couldn't have fans in the stands, and then you know, the second your fans come into Sofi. They have a brand new facility now that they're opening later this year. That's about ten minutes from Sofi Stadium, right next to Lax and El Segunda, right next to the Lakers and the Kings. And now they have a Hall of Fame type head coach, someone who's been to a Super Bowl and just won a national championship. I think that this is finally the year that we can say the Chargers are here. Right. They have plannar roots in Los Angeles, They have their own brand new facility, and they got a pretty good head coach to boot with a franchise quarterback. So today feels different, right, It just from everything that's happened over the last several years and stay in the course and trying to find the right formula. Seems like today they found.
Speaker 1: It, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And just look at the final four and you tip your cap to Dan Campbell for getting the Lions there. But I think in the case of the Lions, you had top ten picks for the last half decade. It's about time you cash those things in, you know. But Kyle Shanahan been to a Super Bowl. Andy Reid has won multiple Super Bowls. John Harbaugh has won a Super Bowl. Like, here's what matters in this league, coaching and quarterbacking. Coaching and quarterbacking, and maybe you have one that surpasses the other considerably and that's why you get here. And or maybe you have both, or maybe the quarterback is just so good it overcomes everything. That's what I'm talking about. And look for Dan Campbell for all the incoming he took at that presser, you know, the bite and the kneecap on the way down, and bite your kneecap on the way back up and oh, there's just some meathead. They took on his personality, they took on that team plays the way that guy talks, and there's not a lot of physical teams like that. Baltimore Ravens are a physical team. We know the San Francisco defense is a physical team. We see that the Chiefs have the greatest quarterback of his generation right now, of his era, right now and perhaps could go down as perhaps of all time. I mean, six consecutive AFC Championship games. My god, so and and you have a Lions team, physical team.
Speaker 1: What do they do?
Speaker 3: Lions run the ball, Run the hell out of the ball. That's why they drafted Jamior Gibbs number twelve overall. And nobody's making fun of that pick now, and what that guy can do? You know they drafted old lineman Taylor Decker first round or Piney Sewell first rounder. Look at the forty nine ers traded multiple picks to get Christian McCaffrey, a former first rounder here. That's what they want of their identity, to be traded a first round or to get Trent and Williams paid him a bunch of money. What do the Ravens do O line and run the ball with you know like it works, it works. And now the now the Chargers happened. They got it with a quarterback, and they got it with a head coach, and man, I would it's early. They got to prove it. I'd put that pair up against anybody. You tell me you can take any head coach and quarterback pairing in the league. And I know it'll start with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes because of what they've been able to do together. But man, this is this might be right behind it. You know, John Harbalamar Jackson is gonna win a second MVP this year.
Speaker 1: This is right there. I believe that to be the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you can retool and reload pretty quickly in the NFL. And again there's there's a lot of household names that frankly can't be here next year because of the cap numbers. So we're gonna find out who those names are going to be very shortly. But you know, you mentioned the Lions, and you know they really they hit on that, that Golf and Stafford trade. But but I just I look at the contributions that they've gotten. You mentioned Jamir Gibbs, Sam Laporta, I mean Campbell, they're there, their linebacker, I mean Jack. You have guys that are contributing immediately. And again, if you bring in a smart personnel mind and pair him with Harball, Harball knows his tight he knows what he needs to be successful, whether that's in free agency or the draft. So if you hit on some draft picks, retool this roster and maybe get more out of some of the guys who are currently on the rostery. I don't know who it's going to be, but I venture to say there's some guys that are currently on this roster that maybe didn't perform or you didn't see their potential this year, You'll see it this year, right. Jim Harbaugh's gonna identify some guys that he said, you know what, I think that this guy could be better. I think he can fit in my system, but we got to get more out of him. What does he do better? And I don't know who those guys are, like I said, but I have a feeling that there's some players on this roster that maybe didn't make the impact in twenty twenty three, that they're going to make in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll say, you know, one that's a free agent that we didn't mention, and I think is fair and because he doesn't necessarily fit the profile of a Jim Harbaugh type. But man, you'd be hard pressed to tell me that Gerald Everett wasn't one of the hardest workers and one of the biggest effort givers from this past season when it did not matter what the score was. I'll never forget him for that Raider game when they were down and he's out there cracking helmets and fighting for extra yards and still yapping at guys and trying to get something going with this team. And I think we've seen that from him. You put someone one on one with Gerald Everett, he's going to break the tackle. You're not getting him down, And so I think they're you know, that's just to your point that there may be players you don't think of on this roster that that end up. Isaiah Spiller's a big back. It's a big dude, you know, so you know, think about he's he's a bigger guy. He's a lot bigger than Austin and Joshua. So I think it's you know, that's that's another one that comes to mind is here's a legitimate two fifteen, two hundred and twenty pound back. You know, the clock's in at six feet and that's sort of more in the style. So yeah, like you're gonna you're gonna carry over a lot of these players.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be a lot of the Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna say money like saw your or Zion, Like those are the guy guys I'm thinking about, Like they have an extra gear they got to get to right, and I think the gym could probably get that.
Speaker 3: No, that's the whole line play, you know, o line, and that'll be the interesting you know, that'll be the interesting debate. You know, you're I don't think you're gonna get rid of all four those guys, all four of those contracts. Maybe you do, but you you can keep one. You can restructure, you can figure it out, you know, it certainly seems I think about Justin Smith and then I look at Joey Bos and I'm like, eh, I see that.
Speaker 1: I can see it. And also, let's not.
Speaker 3: Forget I've you know, I feel bad doing it, but I've told the story before. I remember standing on the sideline at training camp when joint practices Joey Bosa's I can't remember who he was running with. Maybe it was Kamara or so who did they who do they have joint practices with?
Speaker 1: This year? Was it? Uh?
Speaker 2: This year? It was uh?
Speaker 1: It was it New Orleans?
Speaker 2: It was New Orleans, it was New Orleans. Yeah, it was New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was New Orleans. Or No, No, it wasn't it wasn't New Orleans. Yeah it was. It was because Derek.
Speaker 2: Carr was I wanted you to sit with that with Derek Carr.
Speaker 3: Right, And I remember Joey ended up. I remember Joey ended up. Or it may have been two years ago when he ended up covering Kittle, or maybe it was this year.
Speaker 1: No, it's this year.
Speaker 3: He was covering Commar and he just looks up and he's like, what am I ef in doing? Like what am I even effing? And like, I think we've heard that he was never quite comfortable with what was asked of him. Yeah, and so there's I think that's something to keep in mind with with Joey and and moving forward and all those names I rattled off, you know, mod Brooks, Alden Smith, Justin Smith and those dudes that performed and just think about the guys up at Michigan and and how those guys have for all those aiden Hutchinson Joey Bosa, Like, come on, I mean we're we're shopping in the same aisle on that exactly. So that's something I think to keep an eye on. I if Joey Bosa stays healthy, it's not even in the conversation. It's what's this cap number thirty two? All right, we'll figure out how to work around that. Well, we'll figure out how to work around that. Let's let's let's sort that out, because that guy ain't going anywhere. I know the injuries are a concern, but that's a Jim Harbaugh player, if you know, just going back to what he had in San Francisco and what he's had in Michigan. There's always been a pass rusher in the first round or second round from Michigan in the draft.
Speaker 2: And man like I think Khalil Macks a harball player too. It's just that does does the money work? Right? A guy who is a veteran who can play on the other side of Tully. Let's say, I don't think you can go wrong with Joey or Khalil Heck, it'd be great to have them both, but just the cap is telling us something else.
Speaker 3: I think the cap would suggest otherwise that it's going to be hard to keep both of them. You're probably gonna have to pick, would be my guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's again, and.
Speaker 3: That could mean what can you fetch in a trade? You get anything for Khalil in a trade? Maybe can you get anything for Joey boson the trade? Yes, even with the injuries. Absolutely, I can promise you people are going to be lined up to trade for that guy. So that's where I guess a little bit of the conversation could come in, because you get to get rid of more of the dead money if you end up with a trade, as opposed to just straight out moving on.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you how weird it was for you to watch Tom tell.
Speaker 1: Us go to the Raiders press conference today.
Speaker 3: Funny, it was really funny to see the water that said just win baby on it as hilarious. But I'm happy for Tom. He's a great guy. He's a great friend, great friend of the show that we do. Watched it all the time. We talk to us about what we've been talking about. Just a really good person that you know you can always, you can always, and I guess maybe we can help him out a little bit by crafting a narrative. But you can always tell the character of someone based on how they treat people that can't quite elevate them in their professional lives, and Tom, I think is a testament to that and all the relationships that he had with people on the team. So happy for him, family, trust, respect, But still very happy for him and happy you know, he gets to stay close to home, his son can finish up his final year at CDM with with him just being over in Vegas, a quick jump away, and in that way, they're they're square there.
Speaker 1: So I'm happy for him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, sweep them and let them win all the year now and then meet him in the playoffs and win a third time, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no doubt. Yeah, Tom's all class.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's just football, you know, It's just football, and that's the business people people bounce around all the time. And I'm glad that he laid it on his feet. And it's going to just add more injury to the division.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have Antonio Piers, a young and upcoming coach who isn't in the same class as as a paytent or a hardball or a read. But you never know what he can become. And you know there they may be a quarterback away. Their defense played really well down the stretch. We know that.
Speaker 3: It's weird, though, Chris, isn't it. It is weird that Raiders hung a sixty three on the Chargers and they hire Time and the Dolphins scored on every possession in the opening week against Brandon and had like two hundred yards of a half for Tyreek Hill and they hire him as their DC.
Speaker 2: It's like, are they gonna hire him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, They're gonna hire him. Yeah. Wow, wow, it is It is funny.
Speaker 2: It is funny.
Speaker 1: This is weird.
Speaker 2: It's but whatever, and this is man, this is just January. It's gonna get weirder. There's a lot more openings, free agency trades. I mean, I can't wait for all of it. The Combine. We're gonna be cooking at the combine. Man, We're gonna be cooking at the combin. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fun. It's gonna be a fun combine trip. We'll be doing it from there.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think next week we're gonna have a lot of a lot of fun stuff and sore for you guys once we kind of get the the press conference stuff all shaped out and hopefully talk to a lot of people next week about a new day in Los Angeles for the Chargers. Jim Harball is the head coach and we're just getting started. When it comes to content, I'm glad that we were able to do this money. If you're listening to this on Wednesday night, congratulations you're one of the first few to do so, because I think this thing is going up right away.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: All right, guys for money, I'm Chris. This has been Charged Weekly. We'll see you next time.