Speaker 1: Hey, what if y'all it's dj V.
Speaker 2: It's the NFL Playoffs. Teams are entering the home stretch. Gold and glory is in sight, and I've teamed up with DraftKings and official partner of the NFL, and right now they have an offer. If you want to know the offer, you don't want to miss it. All customers can get no sweat bet, get a bonus bet back if your same game parlay or same game Paula X bet doesn't hit max reward limits apply. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now and sign up by using promo code TBC, which stands for the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: That's TBC.
Speaker 2: And if you're a new customer, you just bet five dollars and you get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly.
Speaker 3: How dope is that wondering.
Speaker 2: What you can do with that two hundred dollars on bonus bets. Combine multiple bets together for a shot at even a bigger payout. If sports betting is not yet available in your state, you can still join in on all the fun with DraftKings Daily Fantasy Sports. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now. All new customers can use my promo code TBC only at Draftking Sports Book.
Speaker 3: Brown is yours.
Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 4: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning, everybody, It's the j n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests joining.
Speaker 4: Us today, man legends, trend setters.
Speaker 1: We got Brandon.
Speaker 2: Marshall, he's been up here numerous times. And we got the brother Cam Newton. Welcome brother.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 5: How you feeling, man? Nothing short of amazing. If I was any better, I'd be a twin.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: It's so good to see what y'all are doing. You know, Brandon, you know you were early on with the podcasting What I Am Athlete. Cam, you don't like to call it a podcast. You like to say you got to show the show with Funky with Funky Fridays. How has the transition been from football to media personality, from athletes to personality?
Speaker 7: So, uh, my transition was smooth. And I mean Cam's one of those guys as well. You know, in the peak of our career, we already started doing what we are doing now. Like my thing was, I wanted my post career to already be solidified, you know in a way, so I spent the entire off season twenty fourteen at Harvard built out a case study on transition, and what came out of that was content and commerce. And so I've been on that path like just trying, you know, succeeding, failing, do some big stuff, you know, some dumb stuff. So like my transition was smooth, Like I started my transition literally when I was having my Pro Bowl days. You know, that's twenty and fourteen. So I always tell younger dudes, like, you look, keep the main thing, the main thing for the first couple of years, and then once you solidify in ball, then you start shadowing people. Then you start reading those books, and then you started before you leave, because when you leave, they don't care.
Speaker 4: They don't give it.
Speaker 7: Damn they if I ain't had a media, they don't care about the random marshalls.
Speaker 1: That's changed though, that's changed.
Speaker 5: Like what I mean by that is when you say, like, keep the main thing, the main thing, Like you got athletes that's in their prime. That's still keeping media at its forefront. And I said it earlier, it's like going are the days where we needed major networks to get our narrative out and doing it in.
Speaker 1: A way that I've vowed.
Speaker 5: And really took, Like I want to be a voice of my people, my kind, and that's bigger than just race.
Speaker 1: Like, if you feel how I feel, you're my kind.
Speaker 5: If you can relate to what I relate to, you're my cond And you know, having this platform to be able to, you know, really call bullshit on certain things, but also empower on the other side to all the while being entertaining. And my fear was going on a major network and being muzzled.
Speaker 1: It's like, nah, bro, like that ain't me though, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, Like, like, I know I want to appease to the people in Bankhead just the same as the people in Buckhead. You feel me like, you can't try to remove that because that's a part of me. So I think now in media, we're in the golden age of athlete generated content and it's something that is healthy. Now we can call bullshit on a lot of people. That's just saying hold on, hold on, hold on. What gives you the right to make that? And I can't, okay you feel this type of way about certain things, but I really did it though I know how Dak Prescott feels I know how you know, Lamar Jackson feels. I went to the Super Bowl. I was a Pro Bowl player. I was all pro. But what you got a journalism degree? So when you when you hold they feet to the fire and say like, nah, bro, whether you agree with what I'm saying or not, mine should be more justified because I actually have live reps in battle, lived experience.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask, you know, how do you feel when you when you hear, especially when you see when you look at on the places that you need.
Speaker 3: To talk about football, to talk about sports, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of these people never played the sport, right. Most of your brothers been doing this three years old, right over and over again. I got two sons, so I know what the commitment is, even though I don't play. I know it's six days a week game. You know it's five days a week game. So when you hear these brothers talk about what you should have done or how to play shit.
Speaker 4: Or no no, no, no, your shit, know your shit.
Speaker 7: And I got into it with a journalist on my platform, and then you know, I'm like, damn, we built this to protect the athlete and it be a safe space, but also hold them accountable. But it's like we go out there and we say, well, Dak Prescott just threw his third interception. Okay, well tell me about whose folk those interceptions were. Well, the receiver ran a five yard hitch route, but he was really supposed to run this. So Dak is dropping back, holding the safety down the middle, and then throwing the ball.
Speaker 4: Off a trust and the receiver didn't do his job.
Speaker 7: But we out there on TV and were just saying stuff just to make up stuff and do numbers. And my problem is with the players though, the players that ate that's being lazy. Like, Bro, you sat in them seats and you know you can't go out there and say give this heart take. You got to be able to say, look, I don't know their assignment. I don't know if there was a receiver or the quarterback, but if it was the quarterback, this is what should have happened. We just out there just saying stuff just to say stuff.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I've never seen you bite your tongue on inside the NFL though, bron.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I feel like that's why I'm always in trouble, was because talking about because it's like, you know what I'm saying you think about and I never forget this when I got to inside the NFL and Showtime did that for ten years, and I'm like, I heard a producer say, like, define your seat, Like what's your seat?
Speaker 4: I'm like my seat, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 7: Once I understood that, I was like, Oh, my seat is to get a player's perspective, and I'm always gonna do that. So I'm not gonna go out there and say this receiver suck. I'm gonna say, well, from my perspective as a receiver, Da da da da.
Speaker 6: So Cam, did you ever get those opportunities to be on those major sports networks?
Speaker 4: And you just said, fucking I'm gonna do my mold.
Speaker 5: I challenged my agent, Carlos Fleming at W and ME when I was a rookie prior to me coming into the league, and I told them I never want to be a sports analyst, and it's your job to make sure that I have enough opportunity when I leave the game of football that I can do.
Speaker 4: Whatever I want to do.
Speaker 1: Why Why? Because I knew I didn't want to. I said it. I didn't want to be muzzled.
Speaker 5: I've always stood on how I felt you know, but every time I say something, people get distracted off.
Speaker 1: Of why he dressed like that though, but why he talked like that.
Speaker 6: Everybody in his room was like, what is Cam going way to the breakfast club today? Everybody was thinking that before you.
Speaker 1: But they get personal, but they miss the point that I made. You know what I'm saying, I.
Speaker 6: Should be clean to me though, I'm not addressing, but like Cam look like he got.
Speaker 4: His own style going. It's fly.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: But this is the thing though, like I never wanted to look like any other body, like nobody.
Speaker 1: I never wanted to look like y'all niggas.
Speaker 5: Like respectfully though, like I'm not the dude that's going to stand out or stand in the line for.
Speaker 1: A shoe release, but there's some disrespect to the people who do.
Speaker 5: I'm never going to be the person where he's like, oh that's the new collection from I'm not that you know. It was just like bro, first off, we didn't have a lot of money growing up, and.
Speaker 1: I pay attention to the details. So the pocket squares, the lapel.
Speaker 5: Pins, the socks, the watch, the rings, the you know, you got to come out.
Speaker 1: I ain't glad I do this.
Speaker 5: Machika hats right now based in Bozeman, Montaigne as well as Venice Beach waiting on.
Speaker 1: You still ain't send me your size broop.
Speaker 7: I swear story every time you talk about your brand, bro, I'm like, damn, I still ain't get my hat. He came on our athlete, bro y'all measured my hat my head and you said he's gonna send it out. This is when you first dropped the line.
Speaker 5: So you see what you're doing right now. You're holding me accountable and Cam Newton and media right now. That's all I want to do is hold everyone now, I.
Speaker 7: Ain't hold nobody coming. You missed the play. No, you said you're talking about your brand. We get more about the.
Speaker 4: Brand, about the Cats brand.
Speaker 5: Yeahs s h I k a hats and then you know we can make it?
Speaker 4: Do it?
Speaker 1: D can?
Speaker 7: I can I ask a question? I know this is fast club and this y'all show. How y'all doing right?
Speaker 4: Let's black and Holly favorite. I felt like that. I was like, we have the brothers, but.
Speaker 7: No, this is a real and you know this is this is I don't know what y'all want to do with it, but how you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well, you're doing good.
Speaker 7: I'm doing right, because you know, as athletes and also media, we know you know. Not everybody know you know what I'm saying, and sometimes we won't have those types of conversations.
Speaker 4: So I just wanted to ask you how you was doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing I'm doing well, and the thing that makes me do so well as family. The first thing you said to me when I walked in here was how's our boy doing? And that's what we need to do more now. Of course it's not your boy, but it's our boys, like a village raised him. If you don't know, I sent my son out to your facility out there and they trained for a day or whatever it may be. But that's what we need to do more of to make sure we checking them on each other. And I appreciate that. But my family makes me feel so well. Everything else on the outside is noise. When I come home and I got the love of them, six kids, the love of my wife.
Speaker 4: And when you go through things, you appreciate that more. Absolutely.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying and the reason why I open it up because y'all, y'all are the pioneers. Y'all, y'all lead y'all building their blueprints and the templates for us to follow, and we following, we watching it, and so even like this open seat, you know, and that type of talk, it's like, you know, y'all, it's like it's a lot to it, and you gotta stay strong. You gotta always stay positive. So that's why I wanted to ask how y'all thank you?
Speaker 3: But if we return to favor, how you guys doing.
Speaker 2: I mean, both of you brothers are going through a lot good good and I'm possibly negative you have another child on the way.
Speaker 3: Congratulations the new show.
Speaker 2: I see in you clapping back at a journalist that I guess he gave you like a backhand compliment, and you was like, my nigga, don't give me a backhand.
Speaker 1: Do But now this media revolution has given.
Speaker 5: Me the the volume to speak on that. You know, a lot of times we always talk, but our volume was not as high as it is today, right, you know what I'm saying. So I think and it was just like I heard what he said, and I was like, no, no, no, no, no, no, put respect. Let me tell you what you're not gonna do. Though, you know, because a lot of people they just judge you off of the NFL. But I, Bro, I'm five star athlete out of high school, national championship in college. But when you talk about that, that's that's cocky, Like hold on, bruh, Like no, don't, don't talk about that. It's like, Bro, I got all that to tell you what I've done, but all you got to tell me is I've been covering this sport for how many Like Bro, I've been playing this sport for that many years too.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying, So.
Speaker 4: Go back and get that degree, but you can't go.
Speaker 5: I got my degree too, So what's you talk about? So everything that you got I got too. But you're gonna you're gonna suppress what I my take on certain things, and you're gonna try to change the goal post to say you're trying to make it a Dack and cam thing.
Speaker 1: This is not that I'm a big fan of that, just like so many other people are.
Speaker 5: It's say me and you Jason issue here. It's like, Bro, I'm in your I'm in your field now that it's about to be mine because I can do what you do, but you could never do what I do. When you take that tone and sentiment. He's bitter, he's angry, and we.
Speaker 1: Got to stop that.
Speaker 5: I've seen what this guy was able to do for so many years and just hold people accountable.
Speaker 1: Just ask the question simple, how was it really like that?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: Hold on what like, hold on whether how petty somebody would make it believe or whatnot, it's still accountability and you're gonna have to speak on it. And that's what I appreciate most about the Breakfast Club because we knew you were going to be held accountable, and we knew somebody was gonna asked the question that we all want to know. So when I do Fucky Friday, when I do fourth and one, I'm not just speaking from a fans perspective or the viewer's perspective. I'm really asking because I owe a service to my audience.
Speaker 1: That's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And once you.
Speaker 5: Understand that, that's me studying, that's me being a student of the game.
Speaker 1: That's me understanding, like, Yo.
Speaker 5: How does breakfast clubs stay on air and relevant air for so many years?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 6: I don't think there's any other explanation for it, because a lot of times platforms like this would have been sure been gotten out the way YEP been pushed out the absolutely. I want to ask you, but how do y'all feel like what y'all are doing is disrupt How do y'all feel it's disrupting what's happening in traditional sports networks? Because I feel like I watch it and I'm like, the language is changing, the way a lot of these people are trying to talk on these plats phone changing, and I know it's because of what Athlete driven podcast are doing.
Speaker 4: It's a huge opportunity for us.
Speaker 7: And this is an internal language and always say it's next gen ESPN, and so next generation ESPN.
Speaker 4: It's just not a safe spot.
Speaker 7: Like even with Cam was just saying about breakfast Club, It's like, it's how you asked the question and how you hold your your people accountable. And so we do the same thing I did it with Cam, right Like Cam Planned for the Patriots is one of our first epic episodes. You got millions of views and he coming off and he you know.
Speaker 4: You're a dirty little bit o bro okay and.
Speaker 7: So, but he's dealing with his shoulder and injury. Everybody thought, y'all, y'all did the conversation I remember that, yeah, but but no, it was the tough one and I was like, damn, I gotta ask the question is like, are you done?
Speaker 4: And I'm like, bro, how's your shoulder feeling? Bro?
Speaker 7: Because you know you and he went into it. He explained at the self and then he had a legendary moment said there ain't thirty two better than me.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: We sold t shirts off of that, right, So you know, it was how it's how you asked the question. So it's a safe space and there's a lot of people built in podcasts, but are you builting platform? Platform is like building teams. You have to having monetization strategy, et cetera, et cetera. So there's a huge opportunity for those out there that want to figure that out. In sports, y'all can play the eleven seasons, right, Yes, sir, Brandy, you played thirteen every lifetime in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Do y'all feel like y'all were fulfilled?
Speaker 1: Hell? Yeah? Okay, But this is the thing that I will ask.
Speaker 5: As sports fans. What's more important? Is it championships or impact?
Speaker 1: For me? Yeah?
Speaker 2: My favorite NBA player is Alan Ivison, so I would say impact.
Speaker 3: Never want to ring.
Speaker 1: Come on now, it's my favorite play it.
Speaker 4: I think I think you have to have a healthy combination of both.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think it's either or.
Speaker 1: No, this is an either or.
Speaker 4: You have to you have to.
Speaker 1: I can't let you straddle. Okay, okay, when when when you're thinking about your favorite athletes, right or if you were an athlete, what would you be more keen to saying when it's all said and done, I want to have more championships or I want to be able to sit on my impact was felt?
Speaker 4: And neither neither bro neither. I have to say it's a combination of too.
Speaker 6: And the reason I have to say it's a combination of two because the championships will keep.
Speaker 4: You out of the gold conversation.
Speaker 6: As often like people as great as Alan Obinson is shifted coach and one of the best to ever do it. He's not mentioned in that rare air of the Michael Jordan's The Magic Johnson.
Speaker 5: This is what I'll say to that there are so many different determining factors in sports.
Speaker 1: You know, big Shop without Robert.
Speaker 5: Rorry hitting certain certain shots, does Kobe have as many. You know what I'm saying, Steve Kerr, like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, those guys did their jobs so.
Speaker 1: That we can acknowledge Michael Jordan to be They don't.
Speaker 6: Even get those positions without the Michael Jordan's and nicoleb That's understandable.
Speaker 1: But does if Adam Viniterry misses one.
Speaker 5: Of those field goals, do we really acknowledge Tom Brady as the goat? We would never know, But but I'm saying a lot of those things went right for us to be able to say championships is key. Now, what you can't deny is impact. Impact is more self worthy statistics that it's like, yo, oh, okay, I see what Like Tom Brady changed the game. Okay, pay changed the game, Alan Iverson, Lebron changed Kobe, Michael Jordan changed the game. But that's still not to say, Like with with my situation, I never won a Super Bowl, I was in the game, if certain determining factors happened, will we like if we had to pick six, nothing that I did, but something that the defense did that gives me my championship?
Speaker 4: Is it fair to compare to the NBA and NFL tho, because I feel the NFL degree.
Speaker 1: Different's still sports who degree.
Speaker 6: I feel like the NFL degree of difficulty is different.
Speaker 4: Is it harder? I think it's harder.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think it's harder than than the NBA because like with Barry Sanders, right, we know Barry Sanders is an all time great running back, probably top three, top four, but we don't even worry about rings when it comes to for sure, Barry saying, I don't know if the NFL and I think when I think about the NFL, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if I think about the championships as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But even if you put Barry Sanders on the Saint Louis Rams at the time when they had you know, Marshall fall.
Speaker 1: Greatest shawan turf, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We may not he may not have had the ball as much, but his impact is still felt. But he's around or surrounded by a different type of team.
Speaker 6: And I'm not sure if one player impacts NFL team as much as one player impacts.
Speaker 7: Well, you're right what you're saying, but there is a position that's the quarterback position. Like if you ain't got the guy, it's hard it's hard on everybody. You don't think the quarterback, the quarterback position, to me is the most important.
Speaker 1: The quarterback position of football sports.
Speaker 5: Quarterback, yes, correct, quarterback position of football is the megastar in basketball, and in that position can be the center guard for or whatever.
Speaker 1: But that impact is still felt anywhere Lebron goes.
Speaker 5: He can go to the Detroit Pistons and that's going to garner a lot of people to say, Okay, I want to go to Detroit. That's a game changer, you know what I'm saying. Like what Aaron Rodgers was able to do for New York Jets fans this year the preseason and was excited. It was like, oh my god, it was a wave in in Jersey or New York that we never really felt before. You know, since the Joe name is or or let me let me let me take that back, uh, the Rex Ryan era when when they were winning, right, like I.
Speaker 3: Used to play for the Jets. Now watch your mouth now, but that the hype.
Speaker 5: That's That's pretty much what I'm saying. So you know, when you got guys that have that star power, usually in football it is the quarterback who's the guy.
Speaker 1: You know, you try to draft him.
Speaker 5: You you you typically can't go and trade for a quarterback unless you're giving up the kitchen sink.
Speaker 1: Uh. But that's just the the nature of really the sport.
Speaker 6: Now such interact the conversation, because even I think about somebody like Peyton Manning, right, did he really have an impact.
Speaker 4: On those rings? He went with the Broncos alutely?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, what he was able to what was it tw and thirteen or fourteen when he had beabey rest in peace and those statistics. I think he threw for like fifty two touchdowns in that one season, call it whatever you want. And the footballs never had a spiral, but they was getting to the destination, you know, with the tracker on it, you know, know what I'm saying. He couldn't hand it off better than you know in that spectrum, but yes, you know he was. He was as elite as we've ever seen, so much elite that even with me acknowledging or describing game changers, there's game changers in media, right, game changer, game changer. This show is a game changer. Why because when you have networks to say you are the compared target, Hey, I don't know what we got to do with. We gotta go get us an other breakfast club. I don't know what we got to do. We gotta go draft us another Peyton Manning. I don't know what we We got to find us another Lebron James.
Speaker 6: Even if somebody says this show is better than the breakfast clubs, the bar, it's that a changer.
Speaker 5: A game changer in any commodity is the standard or the bar. And when when you're compared to certain things, it's not to say that your.
Speaker 1: Show still isn't good. There's shows out there that's still good, but they ain't the bar.
Speaker 5: It may be some things that they do good, but it's still not like, Okay, let's see how long can you do this for me? Like is this just a run? You know, just like artists. Like artists come out with a good album, it's like whoa, that was Flames, and all of a sudden they dropped a second and third and it's like, holdo, but what was it?
Speaker 1: Flame?
Speaker 5: Those game changers as musical artists is like, okay, banger after banger.
Speaker 1: He had a couple slipping slide songs.
Speaker 5: But you know, other than that, these were the ones, So doesn't matter what the commodity is. My point is they're still game changers in that you.
Speaker 4: Would never be a game changer.
Speaker 6: Did your career feel incomplete without a Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: No, that's what people don't understand.
Speaker 5: And you could never say that while playing, and that's not and that's what we have the capabilities of doing now.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, how so many people.
Speaker 5: You know have runs or they are dominant players, you know, and they don't have rings or will never be in a position to have a ring. When Brandon Marshall never went to the playoffs, but you don't necessarily know that. You know him as the dominant football player. And I'm saying to myself, it's like, well, while he's playing, he could never say, like, man, I got to do my best to either be an All Pro or a Pro Bowl because my team is not good enough for us to be in a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: You got fans.
Speaker 5: You gotta worry about the deals, you gotta worry about, the coaches, the continuity you gotta worry about. But it's it's real information, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying. It's like this seat, like we got.
Speaker 5: To find somebody that's gonna hold their own like, we just can't bring out no no regular person like I need somebody to challenge the greatness of me. I needed somebody to challenge the great and it gotta it gotta mesh right.
Speaker 1: And if we're.
Speaker 5: Able to go viral, if we're able to still do numbers, and I really ain't got my ship off yet, I don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: You bringing out the best in me. So next show I got you, let.
Speaker 3: Me ask you a question. You know both of you guys retired.
Speaker 1: What is your retired?
Speaker 3: Have not retired?
Speaker 4: You just said you just said you want to play for the Falcons.
Speaker 1: I haven't put to your point.
Speaker 3: So you do want to play football again?
Speaker 1: The right opportunity the Falcons?
Speaker 4: You said, that's the only team a couple.
Speaker 5: I got kids, Bro, would you take another job outside of New York?
Speaker 3: Probably not outside of New York.
Speaker 5: I'm saying it's like, Bro, I got soon to be eight kids. Take pride in that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love being a dad. I can't wait to go home today to be able to take my daughter to tennis practice.
Speaker 3: That, oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: And I'm that I'm not dad to like everybody knows. Like Okay, we don't got to guess who his son is. Like, yeah, there, and I'm on his ass. So when we when we're working out, he's eight. You know what I'm saying, My son China like Jayden, He's like he's getting accepted in schools. Yeah, mother, Come on, Like, not just the UGA's or the Kentucky's. This is the fam Us and the Howards and the Hamptons, right, And I'm excited for all both of them, you know, for for for them all. So that's where you got to start taking into consideration. It's like, bro, I can't go to play in Seattle, great team, great organization, but I can't do that. I mean it's a time difference. You know, my kids got technical devices that they want to call you and Daddy where you at.
Speaker 4: So they need a coach too.
Speaker 7: So, uh, what coach would you want to play for in Atlanta?
Speaker 1: A question? Belichickt the job?
Speaker 4: Belichick job.
Speaker 1: I said what I.
Speaker 4: Said, if you want to review, if you still.
Speaker 1: Want to, you know, see what I have to say about this particular topic, and tune into fourth and one next week. We're gonna definitely talk about it.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: Asking about football being we've seeing the transition of football, how it's changed, right. Uh, And to myself, who's not a player who hasn't played, seems like it got softer, right. It seems like I've never seen quarterbacks flop until recently, where quarterback of falling on the floor, kickers will fall on the floor because they want the extra yards. I've never seen ship like that before in my life. But you're seeing that more, You're seeing it more in the NBA. What is your both of your positions on the NFL and do you think it's getting a lot of softer?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's ruining the game?
Speaker 2: Do you think it's helping in the game because it's protecting players?
Speaker 1: What your thoughts?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get there, But that was a vet move right there, because he was about to just throw a grenade and just wait for it that sound like to happen by just saying, but do you really got it in you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, that physically.
Speaker 1: You gotta learn that.
Speaker 6: But physically you look like I'm talking about mentally and emotionally, do you still want to go out there and.
Speaker 3: Do that that grind?
Speaker 1: I could And we were just having this conversation.
Speaker 5: What I miss most about being in the NFL is the routine, those those the continuity, you know things where you know you're just shooting the ship in the locker room, bro y'all saying your boy b marsh, Bro, look at this outfit that you gotta look at his food like he got caught last night.
Speaker 1: You know, like these things.
Speaker 5: Is it's still locker room talk, safe space, and it's it's still accountability. But to the point envy is, I think it's not soft, it's safe. And when you think about it from the shield, when you think about it from these NBA, the people who are making the decisions, the game is better with the Patrick Mahomes in it. The game is better with Lamar Jackson in it. The game is better with Odell in it. If they're hurt, or if Odell retires and he then says, CTE, I'm having withdrawals and I can't walk straight my back, that's not a good look for these major conglomerate businesses that they are forced and if they are smart to be able to say, hold on, hold on, we're gonna make this game safer. Call it soft, We're making it safer. We need the longevity of our players. While they're playing and after they're playing, and that's really what it is.
Speaker 7: Last night we was with the commissioner, Roger Goodell, and we spent about an hour. What I'm just talking about some of these things very casual, and one things he.
Speaker 4: Did, he lit up.
Speaker 7: He was like, oh, the game is so good right now. Yeah, he lit up on that, and we start talking about that, and you know, from his perspect it is safer. But also the business is booming. You know, it will always boom. And I always push back on players to talk about, you know, how soft it is, because it's like, yo, all that tough guy stuff is irrelevant when you're sixty and you're dealing with the things that Cam just described, Like I'm tired of seeing some of my boys forty years old and they can barely walk up the steps placement, like protect each other out there, like let's go get her Money's compete at a high level. When I was a guy, came through the era too where we was really getting after it. You know, ray Lewis taking him trying to take my head off, and the Ed Reeves and the Troy Paula Malos of the world Monstice. But you know, I'm like, no, it makes sense, you know. And I changed my game halfway through, where the first couple of years I would crack back remember the.
Speaker 1: Crackback block, Yeah, to legos to cleat them, hit.
Speaker 4: All of that.
Speaker 7: And then I was in a game plan against Buffalo run down on kickoff when my homies hit a tight end Everett, but you play for the um and now he paralyzed, can't walk, and after that I would just like stop that. What I would do is I would come back on the crack block and I would see like say ray Lewis.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, yeah, ray Lewis.
Speaker 7: Turned around like let's start it up. Boom, all right, I did my job. You did your job right, and we're good. We go home.
Speaker 4: That's all looking out for each other now, everybody do it.
Speaker 2: But you had I don't remember who we had up here. But he said it was more difficult because now he has to think before he hits, like I can't hit the quarterback here, and it makes him instead of just naturally tackling or naturally doing something.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: Michael.
Speaker 2: He said, you know, I have to overthink before I make the play, and sometimes that makes me miss the play.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: Listen, and I always I'm on the other side of the botom wide receiver. But the defensive guys they're in a tough spot. And so like when I'm when I get an opportunity to be a part of like these discussions and talk about the rule changes and what's next, and listen to what the NFL is talking about. I'm always saying, like, but take care of our guys too, because it ain't fear to them. They come in and they can't hit how, they can't hit low, they hitting the wrong place, and now they find.
Speaker 4: Fifty thousand that that's ridiculous. So it is tough for the defensive backs. I guess Cam a better question.
Speaker 6: I would ask you, you know it's in you, but what's the motivation other than money?
Speaker 3: What it is money?
Speaker 4: The motivation?
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm good. I'm good, and that's what That's what they can't stand to stay to know. Like there's gonna be some we was reading the comments and somebody said, bro Cam new to act like he's good enough to demand where he's gonna go.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be my next question, Like what do you say to people who say, who the hell does can't think he is act like he has choices.
Speaker 5: That's cool, but who he plays for? But hey, dumb ass, whoever talked about it? You know, I'm good whether I go back to the league or not. I can say I use the game of football for my good because I have not played in three years, but my name is still relevant because of media.
Speaker 1: Checkmate, gotcha? And that's all it is.
Speaker 5: And you're going to keep hearing me because now I've identified the power of influence. I've understand the power of entertainment. I've understood the power of just like yo, I want to see what he has to say. And while doing that, I've been able to create Iconic Soga, my production company. And I was telling telling Marsh like I had an opportunity where somebody tried to sign you know, me as a talent, and I'm like, bro, I'm a couple million away from being your number one competitor because I don't need the money. My company is not funded by Cam Newton's personal money.
Speaker 1: It's its own entity.
Speaker 5: You know, when you look at those checks, it says Iconic Saga. It doesn't say Cam Newton, you know what I'm saying. So that is something where I'm trying to sustain or have a solid foundation, and knowing that with the with the proper deals that comes in, I'm not paying my I'm not not putting my car or buying a car for your car show.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's like I already had that.
Speaker 5: Football gave me that, but also football is also giving me the capital to invest in the things that I care about, and knowing that what I made in the NFL is not going to be enough for my lifetime. Now it's time for me to get smart enough to throw a grenade out there and say, yeah, I play for Atlanta, really saying to myself like, gotcha, y'all keeping.
Speaker 1: Me relevant still, you know what I'm saying, and just doing it.
Speaker 3: I have teams reached out to you to play though, Yes, but.
Speaker 1: It wasn't It wasn't worth talking about it.
Speaker 4: What do we what?
Speaker 1: Come up for?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I already felt a certain type of way with going back to New England, seeing myself seeing Newton on another color jersey.
Speaker 1: It felt with like I was I was prepared. This is what people don't understand.
Speaker 5: I was prepared to retire when I first got cut.
Speaker 4: Wow, because you didn't want to leave Carolina.
Speaker 5: I never did, and that's why I hurt so much. It was like I wanted to end my career similar to the Eli Mannings, the Ben Roethlisberger, they had that right to do, you know. And even for Tom Brady, he could say like, no, no, no, no, let's let's hey, let's come together. You don't want me here, I don't you know, the circumstances whatever they are, Let's do it honorable.
Speaker 1: Seem Like at Matthew Stafford, I didn't have that option. They just said yo, bro like.
Speaker 5: And and to them they may say nobody wanted you. That's fine still too, but I'm alert to understand, like I was in a good position then and then going back to get that and then going back to get that.
Speaker 6: Again, it was like, okay, ship, you know, you know, why did it seem like, you know, you led the Panther to the super Bowl that year, you let the Pans to the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Man, you were by far the blackest quarterback.
Speaker 6: Abviously like the dabbing, you know, future GZ game, the white people was complaining.
Speaker 4: The next year you came back a little bit more subdued. Yeah, what was the reason.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I wouldn't necessarily say subdued, you know, but there were It was just more commercials, you know what I'm saying, Like they put that mainstream on me, and then you know, certain situations happened, and I still was reminded I'm still a nigga.
Speaker 4: So you turned it down a little bit on Perplese.
Speaker 5: I mean, it wasn't that I was turned it down, It's just it just happened that way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I lost the deal because you know, there was things in the media about my personal life. Everybody goes through it, you know, when when you have a breakup.
Speaker 1: I lost a deal like that.
Speaker 5: And the next week they got another black quarterback, Dak Prescott. Wow, you know, and I'm like, yo, but it didn't match their aesthetic. And they have the power to do that. Now, if you do the fine print, they sing you a whole contract. That's they're basically saying, we're going to pay you one point five million dollars and they're going to explain all the things in this fifty page contract. And it's just like, NA, just get me to the last one, Okay, I sign it. Cool boom, But that contract really is an at will basis, you do anything that we don't damn agree with, we can snip you and replace you. And once I started understanding that, it was like, Yo, how am I impacting my community?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: How am I? Like? How do I give my son hope to be able to say that? That's how you feel? Stand on that.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, And it ain't no disrespect to the buckheads. But it's like everybody knows what I mean, Like I want to appease to the bankhead or not the bucket because I do more buy that because everywhere that I go question last night, Bro, they really love you and Charlotte, Charlotte, I can go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a respecting.
Speaker 5: Because when I see a black person or I see a person in my cond and they say, what's up to me?
Speaker 1: Yo? One finger on? Pingy want thumb? One love?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 4: What love?
Speaker 1: What's good with it?
Speaker 4: How y'all doing? Man? Y'all good?
Speaker 1: Y'all straight. I'm used to those type of toxic atmospheres and I thriving those where we're shooting dice, playing poker, you know what I'm saying, or just at the bar.
Speaker 5: It's like, Bro, I'm good you know we're straight. It's a respecting my man. You good, you got an issue? Hey, come on, hey, around on me, let's go. You know what I'm saying, Like, when you have that awareness or they call it emotional intelligence something, that's what the that's what our environment teaches us. They call it streets smart, but it's in corporate it's emotional intelligence.
Speaker 6: When y'all get to that heighten both of y'all. You know y'all been to the top of the NFL. Do you feel the pressure to keep it, to keep it all your black, because there was times when it needs to get mad at your dabb and can you dab more?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But not only that though, Like I look at the league now and I'm like, damn, I would get fine for certain things that they do. Now.
Speaker 5: This man is the creation of my Cause, My cleats, But the NFL A never wrote him.
Speaker 1: A check for that. They're gonna read, they're gonna repurpose it in a different way.
Speaker 5: But he got fine for wearing the lime green mental health mental health awareness and wow.
Speaker 1: And I got proof. There's multiple people that told me that, And the NFL is making billions of dollars off of that. My Cause my cleats.
Speaker 5: They have unbelievable testimonials by my Cause my cleats. But the person who what's fine for that, he didn't even get reinbras friends fines. He was just like, oh, and by the way, listen like our master.
Speaker 4: Fathers, yea, how to make you feel brandon like?
Speaker 7: Well, first, I think, like to answer your question, you know, people look at me like you're crazy, wow, this and that, and it's not that. It's really disruption and it's like, you know, with everybody says stand on business, and it's like I always felt like i'ma I'm gonna go with my gut and so my Cause my cleat that was that it was like, this doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 4: I'm wearing lime green cleats.
Speaker 7: I'm playing on Thursday night football against the Jets, playing in Chicago against the Giants in Chicago, and we're probably gonna reach half a billion homes and we did. And after that probably that was one of the reasons why I got traded to the Jets. But think about it now, I'm a bad teammate. You know, I do my own thing, I'm selfish, et cetera, et cetera. But I'm walking back with the owner of the mc caskeys and he's like, yeah, the way you wear your socks in those lime green cleats, you can never do that again. No, they knew because it was mental health Awareness week. So all week we was doing everything. We had all the buildings lit up in Chicago, New York lime green, and we was doing evincent. I was saying like, I'm wearing these lime green cleats and They're probably gonna find me, and I'm gonna match the fine and we'll put it whatever. And so the day the day of the game, NFL official walks up knocks on the door stand at the Hilton not on the Michigan A f and they're like, yeah, if you wear those cleats, we're not gonna allow you to go on the field. And I said, well, y'all tell the fans while y'all y'all while I'm not playing today, And I shut my door right and then everybody owners, everybody hitting me up, and I sat in my room. I said, I'm going through my regular routine. So anyways, I wore the lime green cleats and it took off. And then after that I would fly to New York and I would meet with them and then this is the commissioner. You know, I'm friendly with the commissions. My guy and one day were sitting in the circle and he's like, I'm tired of this kid coming in here talking about this and that and nothing's happening.
Speaker 4: Get it done. And he walked out and then boom, I caused my cleats.
Speaker 1: So with no credit, no credit or nothing to show for it. So outside of an abba boy, and this is what I was saying. Also too, I got another situation too.
Speaker 7: I don't want to say that because I don't want to say that, because I want to leave that out like that.
Speaker 5: Give me, give me, give me two sentences. D'Angelo Williams was the cure for cancer. His mom rest rest, rest in peace. He wanted to wear pink, He had pink dreads.
Speaker 1: Where's Mom? Now?
Speaker 5: He probably didn't get as fine as Brandon did. But now you have my my cause, my cleats and then the October a breast cancer wearing a smuff the pink.
Speaker 1: But these are players.
Speaker 5: Who have the ability to say, hold up, this means something to me, and now the NFL you can't blame him for saying hold on, this is a it's a dope bass idea, let's see how much we can raise for yes, But well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I don't want to leave it out there like that because you're right, everybody right, you know, there should have been more opportunities and there can be more opportunities. I think it was like year three they came back around. We did like a thirty second spot at commercial whatever, you know, And I wasn't looking at it that way. I was looking at how much money, you know, the cancer community was generating off of Breast Cancer Awareness Week in the NFL. But then I'm looking at like, damn, there's thirty six million Americans impacted by cancer, but there's one hundred and twenty million Americans affected by mental health. What can the NFL do? How much money can be generated for profit nonprofit in this community? So I was looking at from a business perspective, and so yeah, they gave me a little recognition from like putting out a commercial doing that, but it was all about the money, you know. It was about how do we get these resources too. That's like your something mental health summit, Like that's what I was looking at, Like, Okay, y'all funding all these other places, but you got Charlotmane doing some amazing things in the space. Let's take ten million to put it over here. Let's take ten million, let's take it to Dak Prescott. But this is what I would say. So there's opportunities. But if you know, when you're dealing with large corporations like that and establishment establishments like that, it can take time. So like I got that, like when I call the answer and I go in there, and it's gonna take time. But there's gonna be some major deals, like the biggest partner in the NFL signa and they don't activate, but they got they trying to focus on mental health.
Speaker 4: Who else better to do it with than you?
Speaker 7: So I say that because it's gonna happen. And when you're building something and you see it, it may take five, ten, fifteen years, but when it breakthrough, it's gonna break through it a major way.
Speaker 4: You know, I want to ask you to brandon you.
Speaker 6: You it took like a sabbatical, right because I saw you kind of disappeared and you came back on social media?
Speaker 4: What was that about? Be good?
Speaker 7: So sabbatical, Like, look, I've invested all of my football money. I made over one hundred million dollars, right, So then you got to do after texts all of that. I've invested all of my football money into that case study that we talked about earlier at Harvard Content and Commerce, and so it's going to take time. And you know, I've made some mistakes. I've learned in real time, but I see it. Everything that I'm doing today is built off of that case study. I'm not doing anything different.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 7: You know where I've been over the last two years. I've had guys that people come on the platform and we weren't fully aligned. I didn't know how to lead at times. I may have said the wrong thing at times, but it's like, here's the vision, here's the five year road map. And so getting there has been a little bumpy over the last year or two. And so what I needed to do was one, look myself in the mirror and say, okay, how are you contributing to this? And two it's like, all right, bro, fuck the product, excuse my language, get the paper right, right, the people right, and then the process. We know how to do content. I know how to go viral.
Speaker 4: That ain't it.
Speaker 7: It's bigger than that. It's bigger than the podcast. We have an opportunity to be the next generation ESPN, and so I think to get there, I had to go on at sabbatical, which I'm still kind of there. Like it's I'm almost like an artist in its last has delivered one last album, right, and it's like I'm putting out content because I have a contract, right and I'm making a lot of money a month to do this. But the reality is, I don't want to put out content right now. I want to get the paper right, the people and then the process. And so that's where I'm at right now, bro. But like I said, they had to start with me looking myself in the mirror, meditating every day, doing yoga every day, you know, still take can care myself, and a lot of things came up, a lot of trauma that I never dealt with, you know. You know we're talking about ten years, Like damn, I'm still carrying that. And so yeah, that's where I've been, bro. So I'm still in that process. But I'm excited about you know, the vision still did what happened?
Speaker 4: What I am athlete?
Speaker 6: Because I think I read this you yeah, put yourself a twelve million dollars what I am athlete.
Speaker 7: No, not to see see see see see what you see that language you just using, but you noticed you just you just quick right there. But that's a big point in our community. We say twelve million in debt or is it twelve million investment?
Speaker 4: M got you got you got right, gotcha?
Speaker 7: Because you know year three you do ten point five in my that's a that's a unicorn. Yeah, Amazon was what in the rid for how many years?
Speaker 4: That's right? That's right, but still worth how much? Right?
Speaker 7: So you got to understand venture. You gotta understand the game. So that's what I'm doing in studying, watching the books I'm reading on venture. It's on the perfect pitch. And so yes, it's twelve million dollar investment. Did that trigger anything in you that? Did that bring up anything from the past.
Speaker 6: Because when I look at I am athlete, I look at it as almost like an incubator. It's so much amazing talent has come through there and going on to do you see the pivots?
Speaker 4: You see what your single doing, what you do? So that and that's one of those things. How do you retain talent?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: How do you structure deals?
Speaker 7: So that's the other challenge where people don't understand we are new media, So what does that mean? We're the ones that's going to take We're in the front line, We're going to take the hits. But when you sit down like I had, like I got some cool people to always check on me, Like Nori will hit me up every couple of like every month or so and just like, how you doing you good? He hit me up two weeks ago, and he's saying, Yo, I just want to let you know you're doing You're doing good. Keep going. That ain't nothing but some rap shit, he said. Look at Fat Joe. Fat Joe went through the same thing when he is building terror squad.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: So it's like he said, the challenge is when you sit down and you're a boss to your teammates, your peers. So how do I approach a guy and say, okay, here's the deal? But then how you share an IP? How do you rap share on everything on top?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 7: So nothing came up when you asked me the question about twelve million.
Speaker 4: Nothing came up for me there. What came up. The biggest thing that came up was that.
Speaker 7: Everything I went through when we talked about my cause, my cleats and mental health. The biggest thing that came up was like, damn, twenty eleven, That's when I started this journey. And after that, I start curating my life. I wasn't authentic, I wasn't real why because of what can was saying. When I go on the field, now they got it go from one camera or two cameras on me because I am a superstar, the receiver, but now they got four. After good play, bad play, they want to see my reaction. So now I'm living in a box. If I go do this, if I show emotion, they're gonna say, oh, he crazy. So for ten years I've been like trying to curate this, this, this, this, this persona and I'm like, damn, bro, you.
Speaker 4: You really you really?
Speaker 7: It's still affected by what happened in twenty eleven. Write all that work you did, mentalization therapy, self assessment therapy, Like, bro, that shit worked. You understood, like what was you know, what was going on with you mentally and how impactful mental health is. But like, there's still more work to do. And so I started peeling back those layers. And then what it also came up was trauma. Like in two like I spent three months in an outpatient program in twenty eleven dealing with these things. But what I didn't deal with was, you know, some daddy issues, some mama issues. But I'm out there teaching these things, right, so I'm like, oh shit, like.
Speaker 4: Now I gotta go deep.
Speaker 7: Like I understood, like why I viewed the world that way, or why view women that way, or why view you know, you know why I may have, you know, not been able to trust. So I understood it, but I didn't go deep. And so I just spent like the last six months really going deep. Man, really changed my life.
Speaker 3: I want to ask, you know, when you're talking football, sports betting kind of took over right to it.
Speaker 2: Just seems like some of the things that they talk about now, the analysts will talk about the sports betting, the parlays over the actual game. I think sports betting helped to hurt the game.
Speaker 7: Well from a player, it helps the game because we're business. We're all businessmen here, yep, right Like business is booming. We got to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: That's why you think the NFL is investing in. They were the number one people walking the halls of Congress and pushing back pushing back, but it's a it's a you gotta do it. You gotta do it from a business perspective and you got to teach. But from an on the field standpoint, Caim, I don't know how you feel about it, but for me, it's like I ain't we ain't worrying about that. I'm not worrying about your overs and your unders, accetertery. But you do have some players that's been suspended because they betten and it ain't supposed to be betting, But I don't think it affects the product on the field.
Speaker 5: We need more minority access in the sports betting space. You see ESPN, bet MGM, prize picks, Underdog, name them all, Draft Kings, all that, but nobody looks like us. But we probably the number one race that's trying to come up quick. So we talk about business. I'm waiting for some sanctions to be in place for the next sports book to have at least a minority.
Speaker 1: UH patron in.
Speaker 5: Position to do that because they use us as influencers, but they don't use us as partners.
Speaker 4: So you got Jay z Uh fighting for the casino.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's needed, bro, Like I think I think for us, we don't have enough enough of us in position to really.
Speaker 4: What just happened everything?
Speaker 3: Man, So you just like that?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know, but no, no, that's real. Ship.
Speaker 5: Like, I just feel like we need to have more access, bro, And we got more access. We already are are naturally trendsetters and just being in the in the trend of business. That's why jay Z is so impactful because we're not used to somebody looking like us speaking for us and just empowering us in such an authentic way.
Speaker 1: And just imagine if we had twenty of him.
Speaker 5: Now, wow, that's changed the narratives in the hood to be like, Bro, I ain't just trying to, you know, drill on something, you know, I'm trying to really.
Speaker 1: Like pick up a skill on something, you know what I'm saying, and really take it to the next level.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, what are your thoughts? Can win the state of black quarterbacks? Right now? In the NFL?
Speaker 6: I think this year was like some record, it was like, what fourteen starting quarterbacks the majority.
Speaker 5: Now, the real thing is when I first came into the league, it was it was Donovan McNabb. He was headed out Michael Vick headed out that was it. Now being a white quarterback is the minority now, Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Being.
Speaker 1: A pocket quarterback is the minority. Now, you feel me?
Speaker 5: So I love the state of where it's at right now, and it's pushed by the Lamar Jackson's other world, the Patrick Mahomes other world, these extremely savvy skill sets that this game has really never seen and it's praised now.
Speaker 6: So I always felt like there was a racial stereotypical component to be in a black quarterback where they felt like y'all weren't smart enough to play the position.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's it's in everything, not just in sports. It's in everything, like diversity and inclusion. It don't matter what the commodity is. The right hire, the right person should get this position. Just because you run fast and you just so happened to play the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't have to change your position, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And you know, we had a lot of questions about the Lamar Jackson when he got drafted. Joe Flacco was theirs, like is he gonna play receiver? That's why he didn't want to run a forty It's like, no, bro, I don't want to do that because I know what y'all trying to try to do, and that's crazy.
Speaker 4: They try to change your position just because you like, come on the corner wide receiver, all these black quarterbacks.
Speaker 7: You're an athlete. You're an athlete as usual over here, correct, and it's to your point, you know mine, And it's backed up in numbers as well. Some of the smartest guys, or they think is the smartest guys on the field are the backup quarterbacks. A lot of our hit former players that become hit coaches are backup quarterbacks. And when you look at the numbers, how many black quarterbacks or backup quarterbacks? Now that's important because we talk about evolution, evolving transition. So a white quarterback can be in an NFL for ten fifteen years never throw a touchdown their backup quarterback, how many black quarterbacks do they get an opportunity.
Speaker 5: So to that person that says, who does Cam Newton think he is by coming out with a list, I'm telling you I get I said I would be a backup to these people. So knowing that most backup quarterbacks don't look like me, nobody I mean being in a quarterback room.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: It was just certain things that it wasn't awkward. It was just like, as a starter, you set the temple of the room. But you know when you can't, you can't talk about certain things because it's like, y'all, I ain't gonna be able to relate to it. What I've seen in Baltimore this year they had a black coach, you know, and the backups were black.
Speaker 1: It was like, damn, I wanted to be in that room. See what that's like. You see what I'm saying because I never had that. You know.
Speaker 5: One of my most exciting times was probably around that twenty fourteen fifteen sixteen season where I had Joe Webb Birmingham and then Derek Anderson. He really was like a hippie damn there, you know, because he was from Oregon and he just didn't he was naive to a lot of things, but he was He knew his stuff, and he was relatable. He knew he knew how to speak my language. When I was frustrated, when I was excited, he was that, all right, all right, come on.
Speaker 4: Kid, let's go, let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, come on, fix your body like that type of thing too.
Speaker 5: And then you know Joe being main come on man like, but that shit man, that's who he was, and I needed that balance, that contrast to be able to be the best version of myself.
Speaker 4: But yeah, both we all brilliant brothers.
Speaker 6: Man, When did y'all say to y'allselves, we're going to defy the stereotype of the dumb jock.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I always looked up to the people who had money, and I said it on earn your leisure. I was like, bro, I'm I don't really read as many books as I should, but I tap into documentaries heavy, like That's how I received.
Speaker 1: My kind of content.
Speaker 5: And the documentaries that I love the most are drug kingpins because they're the most well versed.
Speaker 1: Businessman on earth.
Speaker 5: Because they're not just fighting for their budgets, they're.
Speaker 1: Fighting for their lives. One wrong move can cost.
Speaker 5: You your freedom or cost you your life, and that's how smart you have to be. You know, I'm not promoting violence by no means, but I'm just saying, like, just to be able to think like that was the same bandwidth that Pablo Escobar had. You don't run no empire like that without having a little Jeff Bezos in you, with the little Steve Jobs in you, and having to know everything about your business structuring how much we did this and there, And it's extremely entertaining to me. And when I look at business, I've always was enamored by the owner.
Speaker 1: How does he move, how does he dress, how does he carry himself?
Speaker 5: How does people respect him, how does he take on the room, how does he treat the people that's at his level or under his level? And now try to mimic that into the businessman that I am today.
Speaker 7: I never thought about the stigma, played into the stigma, and you could say it's selfish, but and that may be true for a lot of us, Like you know, we grew up surviving, not thriving. Right, So for me it was like, yo, I want to play in the NFL. I knew that early. And you know, when you get older, you start to understanding, oh, we really ain't got what I.
Speaker 4: Thought we have.
Speaker 7: And so now you want to take care of your mom, you want to take care of your people. That's why earlier when you asked the questions far as championships impact, for me, it was nothing. It was the money, Like, I'm gonna go out there and do my thing. I want to be the best, but I'm taking money over everything because I got a mom and a sister on Chandler Road, you know, in Atlanta that ain't got nothing. You know, they're eight, They're in a motel eight, you know, my senior year. And so it was coming from a selfish standpoint, but almost selfless because I really wanted to take care of my people, right, But I love the game. But then when I ended up at you know, McLean in an outpatient program, that's when I understood my purpose. And that's when it became bigger than me for the very first time. And that's when I start studying and reading a lot, start reading tons of like I mean, I got a whole library and I read all the time. And that's when I put that case study in place. And I just been purpose driven since then. And that's been part of the challenge as well. It's like when you hear sometimes you don't see people you don't you're not relatable, you know, you're not built in those relationships, right because it's just purpose.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 7: If you ain't on this, here's mom too. Mom, you ain't it, Mom? You going to Betty She went to Betty Ford. You you went that house. Yeah, it's going to Betty Ford. Now she's seven years sober, right, But being mom was fighting for four or five years, four or five years, Mom was fighting.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Mary J. Blige, Mary J. It was because of you. My mom got help.
Speaker 7: Really, yes, she called me and I was fighting from I was fighting my mom for a couple of years. I'm like, Mom, you need help, you need help, Like, look at this panthle. I think you're alcohol I think you're alcoholic. And she went through a lot and I never forget writing down one seventy second in Miami on date night, my mom called me crying. She said, baby, I just watched Mary Jay's story and I think that's me. Wow, finally go get the help you need I need and then boom she goes. We set her up at Betty Ford three months later. So six seven years soberive years sober, seven years. I'm sorry, mom, I missed the year.
Speaker 6: So that's the power of content, right, Absolutely, that's what you were saying. That just makes you want to continue to make intentional, purpose driven content. That's somebody's documentary. Mary J's documentary could influence and this by somebody to go get help. That's right, that's great love. Mary never met her Oh oh, salute to marry to meet my mom. Now, salute to Marria. Business mind came from you talk about all this business?
Speaker 3: Where did that come from?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: Hear a lot of times people go to all these different leagues, right, and they just focus on the game. And then by the time it's time to get out, they realized that what they thought they had they no longer have right. Do to agents, do the taxes, doe to friends, family, this that you Ever, when did y'all get to mind? Was like, I'm going to be different because a lot of times we're not taught simple.
Speaker 5: It's in the book of Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It's a title that says what's your business? And you ask a person they say, oh, I'm a teacher, yeah, but you own your own school. It's like no, no, no, what's your business? Like what do you do? And it's like, I'm an athlete, yeah, so you own a team?
Speaker 1: Like no.
Speaker 5: So when you start having this understanding like what's my business, that forces you to say, what can I call my own You know, what I'm saying, like, I'm building these platforms, I'm giving these ideas, my cause, my CLEAs breast care, cancer awareness for other people, but it's not me.
Speaker 1: And I'm telling Brandon.
Speaker 5: To this day, like bro, you got all these ideas, bro, but you ain't got nothing to show for it. So how how No, No, I'm saying that, let me, let me get to the point, like how do we make sure that we follow through that we do have something to show for right? Not to say that he ain't got nothing, you know, but it's just like you, you should have more if we're being honest. So this business side kind of came where it's it's shunned when you're playing because you're not focused. You're putting it Like I had a person til b you getting paid enough where you don't need to go on these things. I said, no, bullshit, Hell nah, you can't. You don't get the right to tell me what I'm making enough to not get advertising dollars.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. It's like you, it's it's it's clear as day.
Speaker 5: But I don't think a lot of athletes are aware nor that's that's that's the lazy side.
Speaker 1: But the reality too.
Speaker 5: A lot of them really don't have time to really focus in and hone in. So now whether the Atlanta Falcons call me or not, I have to really consider. It's like, Yo, I'm doing so much stuff to set up for the next, the next, and the next, that I would be distracted if I was there, you know what I'm saying. But that business side has always came like when you' all in Atlanta, Brome, come to fellowship, you know what I'm saying, Like you say a hat, like this is my company, This is not somebody else.
Speaker 1: Like go get a hat.
Speaker 5: You know, the style is you know something that I've always been working on so many different things. I show myself with my production company icon Osaga. No, I don't need ESPN to do that. And I think with all these furloughs these last couple of years, ESPN, the Tom Warner, the paramounts, they've they've understood like, oh, we can't keep hiring all these people, like we got to do cuts because people are not consuming the content the same way that they used to.
Speaker 7: So right, I think for me, the first couple of years was rough, you know, and then you know I always knew like I had it, the game, the personality, all of that. You know, I would just sit there and watch like Peyton Manning his press conference after Sunday Night football, see his handes was and talking and you know, I was always studying. I was like, damn, I could do that. And so, but the first couple of years was rough, and then I realized like, damn, bro, you're not a brand. And a lot of athletes what we do is we go out there and we're like, yo, we Nike pay me this, Gatorade pay me that. We're brand. We're trying to make money off our name, image, likeness. I was like, well that doesn't That's not there for me anymore. I'm business and so I start operating that way, hiring my own teams, building out you know, teams, and taking these ideas and trying to bring them to life, bringing them to life, and so yeah, I just put my head down, really started reading in A book that really changed my life was Good to Great and so Jim Collins all his business imprints. I read all of them like I was hooked. That was my first business book, probably damn. In my first book I ever read was my fifth year in the NFL. You know and so, and the reason why I said that when you said what do you have to show for it? You know, like I read everything, like even like you watch the Netflix documentary, takes ten fifteen years. Sometimes you know, a peloton seven years. The CEO he was about to commit suicide and then all of a sudden, boom, it pops through. So you know, it just takes time. But I feel like our breakthrough was in a pandemic, like we were ready. Everything I wanted happened in the pandemic boom. Now I have two brands that are nationally known and then one that is globally known when it comes to athletes because they tap into the platform. So premier athletes around the world are watching. And so now I'm in this space when you ask me like, yo, why are you going to sabbatical? Because I'm like, I fucking got it. And now it's like, all right, what do I do next? My next moves got to be my best moves.
Speaker 6: Right, So, and you a service, I mean Project three seventy five, I mean, e've been you know, that's you was on the front line of the mental health commence early, long long, long, long, long time ago.
Speaker 7: I'm done with project through seventy five. I'm done with nonprofit. For profit. That's where House of Athletes comes in at Like, that's a ten billion dollar brand. And my vision wasn't necessarily nonprofit. It was more so just the work. And it's like, you know, I got had this vision in twenty and fifteen. I said, damn, you know, in fifteen years, you're going to donate four hundred million dollars to the mental health community. So I got three hundred and three hundred and ninety to go, you know, And so I said that was going to do that through business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but don't do that though, because nonprofit gives your way to shelter that So you not just get tax benefits.
Speaker 7: No, for sure, Like no, it's still like the entity is still there and we take the benefits. But instead of me taking it's like time. Right, but if I'm put in like fifty percent of my time is going into nonprofit, and now that nonprofit is generating you know, let's say two point five million dollars year, right, two point five million dollars a year, Like we're doing these ping pong tournaments, golf tournaments, these different galahs, and we're bringing in two three hundred thousand apart. But then you got the overhead. It's like, this is a waste of my time. So then I can go focus on business and boom, you know, I can generate more revenue. And that's why I said, like when I did that, when I stopped playing ball and I realized that. What I realized I was when in my transition twenty eighteen nineteen, I'm laying there on my gym floor to the same gym that you guys came to right, and I'm like, damn, this is mental health, like you're talking about wellness. And so I said, I ain't gonna put my time and I'm gonna put my time there. At the time, we was doing eleven nine hundred and fifty dollars a month, and I put that plan in place and within three months and I was like, if I hit if I see a community being built and I hit sixty thousand recurring monthly, I'm going all in. So that's how we got to the twelve. Those are the only two metrics that I was looking at community. And the way I was gauging the community was how many people lead it to work out this class and then they go to a juice bar and they sit their hang out. They like it right, just the next Peloton and next Soul Psycho, et cetera, et cetera. Within month three went from twelve thousand dollars a month to sixty five thousand. I said, fucking I got it. Here we go boom, and so then you know, pandemic hit. Things slowed down and then right there year three, ten point five, four point five on a brick and mortar side, five point five on the media side. And now but it's.
Speaker 4: Everything every dollar in you know, it's going right back out like I was. You know, you're moving fast. It's like, shit, we.
Speaker 7: Going and do the deal with NASCAR, and we got to take ten people. That's coming out of my pocket, like Cam said, iconic saga check that was coming out Brandon Marshall entity, you know what I'm saying. So it was because we wasn't We wasn't in any revenue then. And it's like boom boom, boom boom.
Speaker 5: But a lot of those things too, like you don't understand your business, and I think you have to acknowledge that too for people who are listening.
Speaker 1: It's like when you get these brand.
Speaker 5: Deals even though it says Cam Newton, I have to understand like, hey, I'm not paying Cam Newton.
Speaker 1: I haven't paid Cam Newton through.
Speaker 5: Iconic Saga yet, and I've had Iconic Saga for like since twenty sixteen, Like we need better understanding of the business structure and what really is. It's like, no y'all using my name like this is it's still a talent. But knowing like hold on, I need to get the best equipment. I need enhancements around you know, the set, like I want them chairs like this. Now you know what I'm saying, Like that's an Iconic Saga expense. So once you understand that, that's where okay, you're standing on business.
Speaker 1: You feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I got two more questions for y'all. Wanted a broad question just about the NFL and one for you Cam. But start with the NFL question. Why do y'all think CJ. Shroud's thinking Jesus was edited out of his post game speech, like if the league, you know, like not accepting of religion. I never I've always seen people think God. So why do you think that happened? I think that was NBC too, NBC, Yeah, it was NBC. Yeah, I think it. You know, look, now we're in a time where we're so divided, right, and so you think about, you know why we're divided, the politics, religion, you know, and in different communities their points of views, and so when you think about business, they don't want they don't want that.
Speaker 4: They just want football.
Speaker 7: And so I think it's wrong, it's disrespectful, but that's the answer. They're looking at business in the division like they want this audience to coming here just for ball. And then you go back to the pandemic twenty twenty, right, like twenty twenty showed us.
Speaker 4: You know, people were tired of talking politics.
Speaker 7: Remember that conversation, tired of talking politics, and that's where the conversation athletes shut up, do this. We just come here for ball. So the drivel, that's right. So now they sitting here and they're like, well, let's take all that other stuff out the game. We got through it already. We had in racism and the end zone of some team still have something some of those things. But the reality is these organizations is trying to get rid of that.
Speaker 1: What you thinking hold them accountable mm hmm, NBC hope they as accountable they're gonna do it too.
Speaker 4: If CJ.
Speaker 1: Stride would have said something controversial, they.
Speaker 5: Would have been running that, looping it, running it, saying I'll give you another one. How do we mistake who burn a boy is?
Speaker 3: Can't we reported that this morning?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Mind you? He wont to Grammy lap.
Speaker 5: Hold these motherfucker's accountable. That's the only reason, because this is this is the the unfair treatment. You'll sit up and you'll hold an athlete accountable because of his performance. You'll hold an athlete accountable, or entertainers because of they're humans. But what do we say to these networks when they make their mistakes? We just overlook, Oh it's okay, cool. Now I'm coming for accountability on everybody, from the reporters to the players to the networks, because that shit ain't right.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 5: If I make a motherfucking take and I say these are gaming like, oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, brother, who the hell are you? You as trash as a player?
Speaker 4: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 5: But if I were to go back and I look at DJ Envy's personal life and I really put a microscope to it, and I really identify who's Charlemagne the God? Really is the kid from South Carolina and I really start asking those people, but that'd be me being malicious. But you're gonna do that when I make a mistake. Ain't this the same boy? They got all these kids, got all these kids. But if I start naming all the people who also got multiple kids. But y'all didn't know that though too. So y'all gonna hold me accountable to something that different rules with different people, no whole everybody accountable. That's what the new norm of twenty twenty four. And if you call cap on me short the receipts by debot, Cam stopped calling me, motherfucker, I ain't call you now. He realized, like somebody was playing with you can't just sit up there and do that, goosey, So you know you're not a situation. So you know somebody was playing on his phone and these little white kids that came out and said that.
Speaker 1: But he goes online and say, like, yo, Bro, Cam, stop calling me. You just want to be on your podcast. A couple of weeks ago. I'm like, Bro, that wasn't me. That's cool. But he tried to stand on business. But as we find out, and I'm my fan still like fan of Debo, like Bro like, how can I hate what you do? Like it was a mistake, But hey, you thought you got me, you didn't like, Bro, I'm where we have to start highlighting authentic people.
Speaker 5: I'm real, Bro. I go anywhere, anywhere, and I'm good because I respect everybody. Can't sit up here and what you're gonna have to say he dress goofy, Like, hell no, Bro, don't talking about me and my kids because you can't tell. Have one of my kids tell me I'm not the best father.
Speaker 1: I'm near. You know what I'm saying. I have. I love my kids, I want more kids.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. So don't don't make that plight with that situation. Because I'm extremely intentional. I give opportunities to people. Right, I'm looking at a guy right now, Omar. I will remember when he wrote his baggy ass suit in twenty sixteen and now I'm saying this.
Speaker 1: But also we were walking.
Speaker 5: We were walking on Fifth Avenue yesterday and I sit up and I told him, I said, Bro, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 4: Dog.
Speaker 1: I see how you carry yourself.
Speaker 5: Now, Like, Bro, you got to do better because people are reporting to you and you have to also carry yourself how I carry myself. The level of accountability has to be from top down, not bottom up. And this is a dear friend or he doesn't work for me. We work as partners because he is oh a lot of the creation. Everybody right here the same thing. So I'm all about opportunities, and I know if I get that opportunity that a lot of people have had, I know what I'll.
Speaker 4: Do with it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So that's the accountability that has to be rendered in this media space because if you were to say something misinformed information, Oh damn, Brandon Marshall.
Speaker 1: In debt twelve no, hold onop, you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 5: People are listening to this shit, they gonna think Brandon Marshall really in debt.
Speaker 1: Twelve million dollars? That's twelve million dollars.
Speaker 5: So we owe a due diligence to the content that we give out that it's as authentic to the truth, and if it's not the truth or if it's fucked up, we got to highlight that. Held on No, that's why Kat Williams was trying to do, and that's what he did. He just gave receipts collected.
Speaker 1: Him in information for years, he said, I was just been collecting information for years, and you.
Speaker 4: Feel like that was the right thing to do. Kat Williams, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I can never tell somebody not to live their truth. But I guess my issue was the same thing that Cam just said. And I said this on air. When you talk about power and control in a business, if all you're calling out is black people, then you're not really calling nobody out. Yeah, you know, you can't talk about power and control in Hollywood and not talk about these white executives.
Speaker 1: But I think too, what the best thing too, is that he was retaliating.
Speaker 4: From the past.
Speaker 1: Guess that came and spoke on something.
Speaker 4: He was like, no, that's not true. Some of them. Some of them he had already. He had that rhetoric for Kevin long, long time.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing, like we missed that.
Speaker 5: It's like, hold up, these guests were there before, and it's still subjective to who you're gonna believe, you know.
Speaker 1: But I look at it like this, I'm like, hold on.
Speaker 5: I text Christen Myers, right and I told her, I said, God damn club Shade Shape where they putting pressure on fucking Friday, And I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm not hating on them, but do we feel like that. I don't feel like it's a competitive drive. It's not. It's not hating.
Speaker 5: He's bringing out the best version of me because I'm seeing his guest list country, Wayne did numbers, Kat Williams set press.
Speaker 1: I mean, we started off the year on fire. It's gonna be a good year.
Speaker 5: And he's in that space where I'm saying, I respect Shannon sharp enough, a one of us type of guy played in the NFL has morphed into it better.
Speaker 1: We just seen a CBS Nate Burlison evolve and just get better.
Speaker 5: We see Mike Shanahan, Michael Straightanel straight hand like, these people are evolving and that's so different than what I'm doing right now. I'm evolving into a new version of who Cam Newton really is and I want to always stand on that authenticity where it's.
Speaker 1: Like hold on, well what happened to the cane? Like, nah, this came right here, bro. I feel liberated.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to use my platform to impact, empower and entertained.
Speaker 6: Well are you are you coming out with a book on how to be the kind of man and makes a woman want to submit it makes a woman want to be submissive.
Speaker 5: I need to be coming out with a book that that that tail. We need men to start being men because I think I think that's the thing too, that that submissive line. I should have added also we need to be We need men to be men, because then I will ask DJ and B, how are you able to sustain your marriage for so many years?
Speaker 4: We don't talk about that. It's true, you know, and for aid.
Speaker 3: Twenty two years left, right, but we're able to you know, to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So when I'm having these conversations and I'm and I'm speaking, I've never been married. So somebody would say, how the hell you get to talk about marriage if you ain't never been married?
Speaker 4: You got relationships?
Speaker 1: But then I'll say this, how does Steven A. Smith talk about the NBA if he ain't ever been in the NBA? Right.
Speaker 5: I've had certain situations though that had garnered a lot of attention by me saying, you know, an alpha male, but a real man. I've seen my father do this. He knew when to allow the woman to lead. We need men to start taking accountability as saying like, bro, you can't just keep having these fatherless children, bro, But we highlight them in music, we highlight them in you know, different aspects. It's like, okay, he a great this or great that. That's what Charleston White did. Still accountability, you know, and he shunned Dion. I'm like, but did Deon do anything different? If you was in his position, would you not try to put your son on? So you can't you can't be hypocritical to that.
Speaker 6: And it's not like it's not like his son not adult exactly, and he's put in his whole family like the well off media, that's his son.
Speaker 5: Like we put it's no different. Oh, I give you one even better. Why are we not talking about Sunday Night Football? Chris Collinsworth, you know who does the own field analysts? His son m with with coach and uh Harrison.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's his son. But we don't talk about that about Chris Sims.
Speaker 1: Chris No collins Uh collins Worth in the son right, how do we hold how do we hold the the Lonzo balls and the Lamar balls to his standard when we've seen what Archie Manning did for his sons?
Speaker 7: Were you talking about basically we talk about nepotism and that's like Bill Belichick's son, both of his son's defensive coordinator and also safety's coach, Andy Reid for his son when they went to the Super Bowl driving drunk, whatever, but his son was on the coaching staff.
Speaker 1: But that's accountability.
Speaker 7: Get the coach down in Jacksonville. He brings his son in as a tight end. He make the team, but he gave him a spot.
Speaker 5: I'm not mad at that, but get account of bit, Like, let's start calling it what we're calling it and stop having these hold on, hold on, hold a shut up, no, Cam, don't say that. Let's keep talking about Dion Sanders. And it's not a black and white thing. It's more of like a real authentic thing. And when you I owe a service to the viewer, I owe a service to my community of people, my cond as. I would like to say, like they expect the honesty. But now I have to learn from the Larry I have to learn from the Oprah Winfrey's. I have to learn from the Shannon Sharps. I have to learn from, you know, everybody that has a night show, the jay Lenos of the world, and going back on and seeing how they were able to Charlemagne, the guys to ask these tough questions, very savvy, and that's pretty much what it comes down to, being a student of the game and holding people kind.
Speaker 4: Of y'all brothers are doing it great.
Speaker 6: I guess they didn't talk to y'all all day, man, right, make sure you check the I Am Iconic Tour and the I Am Athlete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we did a couple of cities.
Speaker 7: Now we feel like it's almost like a comedian of perfecting their material. So, you know, we have this idea of creating a live experience and so we were in Atlanta, Chicago, and we feel really good about it. And now it's time to what stand on business package.
Speaker 5: It doesn't make sense, but that doesn't negate the fact that we still got our individually owned ips, The Iconic saga Is creates his original content, the fourth and one Sports show.
Speaker 1: Funky Friday.
Speaker 5: You have h three productions that we know, I Am Athlete, Paper Route, things like that, and yeah, it's just gonna keep getting better and better. We'll be at you know, Super Bowl as well. Uh, just collecting data. I'll be on radio row at Fourth and one. I hope I can see dak I hope I can see Martin I hope I can see Jason McIntyre.
Speaker 1: I hope I can see brock parody. I hope I can see you know two a.
Speaker 5: Tongue of a lower because unlike a lot of people who just throw a grenade to leave shit, I'm pulling up with a knife.
Speaker 4: I mean, I gotta be real close to you. It's the best. Come on. I'd rather had a conversation with come on. That's why.
Speaker 6: That's why a lot of people in this space, I don't respect them. You too, really talking about folks talk to them.
Speaker 2: I had a conversation with them that that we appreciate you brothers for joining us. Y'all guys invited any time.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 3: So if you in town, pull on up. Just just come on up.
Speaker 5: No see, I'm gonna tell you like I told you know, uh Brandon, I ain't gonna keep doing freebiest, but you know, stretch up the next.
Speaker 1: Next time you gotta come on.
Speaker 4: Say less.
Speaker 1: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We can look I'm not I'm not saying that. They say, y'all gotta pay me what I am saying. Hey, just return to faith.
Speaker 2: And hopefully when we when we get our co hosts Whenever that happens, you know, we'll all come together.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation you had.
Speaker 5: Hold on, hold on what happened before we get out of here? The people, the people I want to know.
Speaker 4: With what with? Just hilarious? Oh, I loved y'all. Conversation on.
Speaker 3: Conversation like y'all, that was a music conversation.
Speaker 1: What happened to?
Speaker 4: Just hilarious.
Speaker 6: On the Breakfast Club, y'all, Cam Newton and Brandon Man, we appreciate them so much.
Speaker 1: Breakfast wake that ass up her in the morning.
Speaker 4: The Breakfast Club
Speaker 1: MHM