Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you as old Ways so much for tuning in. Shout out to the man, the myth legend super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey, what was the other one? It was?
Speaker 1: It was rah orrah, hrah, hoorah and huzzah and haza and a towski.
Speaker 2: That's right. Huzzah's the one where if you're like a night in something, you know that's your rallying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and I both will occasionally throw it in an email.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm part of the culture of how stuff works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've big bullet. You're an old Brown.
Speaker 1: Because a big shout out to how stuff works. Man, we've been we've been doing us for a while. It's crazy that we haven't gotten to this story earlier. What's a good for our folks and playing along at home? What's a good recap?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, first of all, listening to the episode one that gives you a good This is a really backstory rich tale here. So I think we did our due diligence there. Teased a little bit about some of the incredible interactions between the US Air Force and Hollywood, Baby Hollywood and some of the most brilliant set designers and builders and fabricators and you know, just creative minds of the time to camouflage these crucial airplane manufacturing facilities to make them look like suburban towns in the hopes that the Japanese bombers would be confused and they would bomb other stuff. But then we ended the story of episode one kind of on the movie studios now being the only ones not camouflage, and this cluster of these kind of warehouse ye air plane hangar type facilities, to which the executives were like, hey, we need this too, because now we're gonna be seen as the target. We look a lot like airplane hangers. I think that's that's where we are, yeah, with Boeing, because that really what was what we teased this whole series to be about. I don't know that we've mentioned Boeing specifically quite yet.
Speaker 1: No, we just we gave them a hard time about the planes and the fact that's right, I almost died one.
Speaker 2: But uh, I don't think we mentioned that part.
Speaker 1: But movie Okay, our hero of the story here is the Boeing Wonderland. And that's that's what part two of this series is really focusing on. So, like you said, everybody's trying to keep up with the Joneses.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now, camouflage is something you must have because all these other places are camouflage.
Speaker 2: Lockheed's clover Field facility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so if we travel to Seattle, we'll see that Boeing's president, Philip Johnson has been paying attention to his buddies at Douglas Aircraft and he says, look, the biggest deal for us at Boeing is Plant two. Despite the name, it is our number one inspired, our number one asset.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's uh, December eleventh, four days after Pearl Harbor, Boeing puts out a press release and they say the following Plant two has been quote entirely transformed from a daylight plant to a blackout plant to enable to know night operations during blackouts.
Speaker 2: Okay, it goes on a little braggadociously. This plant is believed to be one of the first, if not the first, major defense plant in the country to complete this transformation. So I talk like a wizard there or something.
Speaker 1: We both we both made some weird choices in our quotation voices. But this is true. What they're saying essentially is that now we can operate overnight.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think a big thing to say about it is it now means that if you black out the city for bombers are coming, they can still keep working in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, good point Max with fects.
Speaker 2: Oh, there it is there, it is. Oh, it's a big deal, you know, because they need to be As we mentioned in episode one, the goal that FDR had set for the number of bombers that he wanted in their fleet is that what you call it in the sky was insane fifty thousand, I believe right. So they couldn't they didn't have a moment to spare.
Speaker 1: And we also know that the Boeing News Bureau came out with a report about this and said, well, they released on April first, nineteen forty two, but it was not in April day joke. What they were describing to the public at large was the urgency created by the Pearl Harbor attack. And they said, look, we're not gonna waste any time. We are getting everybody together that we can to help us do this blackout transformation.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a painting party. We'll have a painting party. Yeah. Yeah. And when when we say blackout in this situation, we are referring literally to blacking out the building, right, like painting it as dark a color as humanly possible. I don't think they had that, like the blackest paint ever to exist at that point, but just you know, regular old black paint would probably do the trick. And then that you know, created a shroud around which they could build the thing that was you know, meant to catch the eye exactly.
Speaker 1: And again, these enemy bombers will be hunting with their own eye sight, that's right. So so it makes sense to black everything out and reduce the amount of light the factory is emitting.
Speaker 2: Funny though, to think about it today, with like advances in GPS technology and imaging, stuff like this wouldn't really work, would it. You'd be able to kind of see the shape or kind of know what you were looking at a little better if you had certain types of radar technology or like satellite you know imagery. But I mean even that, there are obviously ways that the military does their best to you know, camouflage their stuff. To those kinds of things, it would have been be a different type of job though, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And so Boeing is already blacked out as a factory, you know, the windows are painted, et cetera. But they needed to do more and so in May of nineteen forty two, the core of Engineers takes takes on this project. They say, we're going to camouflage this factory in addition to having it blacked out. And again shout out to Bill Bill Why who wrote some fantastic research on this. So to accomplish this camouflage our top talent in the world of military camouflage. The amateur magician over sends one of his boys from Hollywood, a guy named John Stewart, art director. He sends this guy over to the Boeing plant. He had pulled him from MGM from the experiments they were doing back on the loss. I just want to add one little thing before we get into the actual full camouflage, the blackout situation with the paint where they was at all hands on deck. Apparently they required about four miles of air hose in order to allow for the operation of spray guns. So we don't have this exact you know, square footage or the number of windows that they painted over. But if that's any indication, this is a huge job and a massive feat to accomplish in a couple of days. So now we're on to you know, the business at hand, like to really make this building look like something else. Yeah, absolutely, that's that's the idea, right, And so Deadly is living this Hollywood dream. He's got a cool job that everybody wants. He has, you know, that degree in architecture. He is working as a set design. He even gets nominated for an Oscar back in the day for his work on a film called Bitter Sweet, which I have not seen.
Speaker 2: Nor have I And a lot of the Oscar wins you know of of this era of Hollywood are gonna be a little bit deep, deeper cuts than he might think. Yeah, you know, unless they're like the big classics that get remembered. Not all Oscar winners do stand the test of time. But I am interested to see this this guy's work. By checking out Bitter Sweet.
Speaker 1: I feel like I won't pay attention to the story.
Speaker 2: I'll just be watching. I know we do too much. Yeah, we've ruined it for ourselves in the stars of that. I'm also particularly familiar with Jeanete MacDonald and Nelson Eddie Nelson Eddie, I don't know Nelson, Okay, I don't either. I just thought if I said it enough, I was almost there. But in nineteen forty, Dutley is only thirty two years old, and he actually, like you said, live in that Hollywood dream. Mary's at Angenoux by the name of Constance Ackelman Love. It is a great old, cool Hollywood name, and they were quite a power couple in Hollywood, very sought after, both for their own set of skills, with Constance, you know, being a up and coming kind of starlet, and of course deathly being a very sought after art director.
Speaker 1: Question question for both of you, guys, do you think a thirty two year old man should marry an eighteen year old noll?
Speaker 2: Weird? I don't know what's the formula? Isn't there a formula? Not as bad as Charlie Chaplin? That's that guy had a darkness.
Speaker 3: I mean thirty two eighteen, I mean, yeah, this is a really cringe age plus seven your age plus seven even.
Speaker 1: That I feel is weirdly Oh it is.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying it is a thing people say.
Speaker 3: I was finding a guy not that long ago. Like a friend of mine, he's he's he's in his mid twenties and he's on tender. He's looking at like all these nine year old girls like to like he said, well, like six years older than him.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, man, like I don't know a teenager. That's like a lot happens in that six years though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, but you know, I hesitate to pass judgement. I was just curious on you guys. Take we do know that regardless of an age difference. Uh, they had a good union, right, they seem to get along famously, very much in love. Constant changes her name to Veronica Lake. She becomes a pin up girl wow for World War Two. Quite a looker, that's right.
Speaker 2: She was sort of like that what was at the Shawshank Redemption the poster Benny Davis. I think this is of that same kind of you know, I I guess of you know, massively sex symboly type star. People are painting her on plane. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So her husband reports for duty and Seattle around this time. He gets pulled by Omer away from Hollywood, and when he gets to Seattle, everybody's very concerned about the Japanese occupation of those Alaskan islands we mentioned earlier, and they said, look, it's only a matter of time before we get attacked here in Seattle. We need you to get this plant, this Boeing plant camouflage quick fast and in a hurry. We need you to camouflage the entirety of twenty six acres. Detle's cruise did this with the help of the Seattle District of the Army Corps of Engineers, and that was helpful because this particular structure was a different kind of roof situation than they'd been used to at some of the other airplane facilities as well as the Hollywood studios.
Speaker 2: You could picture those right flat roof kind of regularly shaped rectangles, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have to deal with what's called a saw toothed roof. I think kind of like stepped down like a cigarette. It's an uneven surface varies as much as thirty five feet. So to build this you got to put in other platforms. You have scaffolding. You also have to have a sprinkler system over the entirety of the twenty six acres. Overall, this structure is going to weigh in with five hundred and fifty five tons of steel and half a million feet of wires just support just like support wires to make the houses look real.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point, Ben, and I do just want to mention that, you know, as brilliant of an idea as camouflaging these places as you know, suburban or like civilian areas are. It's not like war totally precludes the bombing of civilian areas. So there could well have been some collateral, you know, damage to these places despite maybe they weren't targeting it, but maybe something fell nearby and there could have still been a fire, you know, in some of these roofing elaborate roofing situations. So that's what they had to have.
Speaker 1: That Sprinkquiss and so travel with us to what was increasingly being called Wonderland. And because of the variation in the height of those structures that they were building on top of, there were a lot of very steep hills in the area. It's kind of like San Francisco. So there were three major streets, major fake streets, There were alleys, there were driveways. This was immersive. The even named the streets. Why did they name them, I guess it's just for morale a bomber pilot's not going to be able to read this stuff. But they had names like synthetic Street and burlap Boulevard.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's a little bit of a nod, yeah, to the craft right of building these things. You know. It reminds me a lot of so again, early kind of practical effects in movies, like the idea of a matte painting, which is like, you know, not incredibly detailed, but it has a massive scope to it, so it'll be like the background of like a massive space scene. Then they super imposed the ships in front of it, or it could be like a city scape. If you ever see one of those in person and you look up close, there will be little signs that have like text on them, but if you look up clothes, they're just kind of blurs, you know. So this is all about creating the illusion from afar, right, Yes, very much is.
Speaker 1: And and they make a bunch of artificial trees too. It reminds me of you know what it is. It's a life size version of those little towns you build around toy trains exactly right. Yeah, it reminds me of it reminds me of that scene in Beetle Juice where they shrink down.
Speaker 2: It's really cool. Yeah. Beetlejuice, man, Oh, it's good. I hope the sequels good because Tim Burton really hasn't had a banger in sometimes.
Speaker 1: You know. The first sequel idea was Beetlejuice at the Beach. Interesting, it's definitely a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does have the street you know, when I think of his outfit, does kind of remind me of the stripey short pants that like you'd see beach goers wearing, like in the twenties or whatever. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. But in any case, there's a lot of set building kind of you know, methods and that come into play to create the illusion from Afar that we're talking about something called tar and feather feathering, I guess, which is something that was used to make the texture of like trees for example. You know where again from Afar you would never be able to tell the difference because it has that look and quality, but up close you would definitely be able to tell her this. It's the same with stage stuff. You know, if you ever examine stage sets up close, there's a lot of rough edges. There's a lot of things that wouldn't really read if you were up close, but from the audience it looks great. Yeah, and in this case, the audience is five thousand feet up in the air, right.
Speaker 1: They're thousands of feet away. They're playing big, right, just like stage acting. And a lot of these things, these homes, these garages, these greenhouses, and even the gas station, a lot of them are only about four foot high at the eaves and so there. So, like you said, up close, it doesn't make sense. If you go inside, you're going to see that they just have that sprinkler system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, big buildings all over again, you know, except this infrastructure is literally designed to protect the fake building exactly.
Speaker 1: And so at least two of these homes were going to be occupied by real people sort of.
Speaker 2: Because kind of stand ins, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Well they had guys who ran anti aircraft guns and they were stationed in little fake houses on the rooftop.
Speaker 2: Armed stand ins. Yes, yeah, yeah yeah, armed. Yeah. No, that's cool. So they had to have all these elaborate catwalk systems that would allow people to kind of move between the different spaces for various reasons, for maintenance, et cetera. Man, that is so cool. The people occupying it that doesn't make sense. You would need some anti aircraft support, you know, in the event that your little subterfuge didn't quite work. Yeah, you don't want to just leave it all up to them being fooled, you know, you got to have some back up personnel in place.
Speaker 1: And that feels like a cool job, doesn't I've got to wake up and go to my fake house exactly, and I might have to shoot something.
Speaker 2: Super secret spy stuff, right.
Speaker 1: And they also realized you can't just make a town. It has to have ye all them trappings of life can't look abandoned, you know.
Speaker 2: They have to make cars on the road parked, accurate looking that would read. So they built some of these cars, parked them made out of rubber. And because they had to kind of again with the rough edge approach and the boxiness of making these fake cars out of wood and rubber, they started looking more again. Bill points this out. Bill why again? Yeah? Why interchangeably there points out that they really kind of looked a little more like the cars of the seventies. Yeah, those kind of boxy station wagony type cars or like a Gremlin I think maybe mm hmm, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there was even this legend or tall tail that said they let a cow loose to roam around on the rooftop, which is clever because that does look like, I guess, like an active town. But also, when's the last time you were on a city street and you just saw a random cow? Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm picturing the scale of this and it isn't smaller scale. It's got these are like built to scale, so everything would be roughly the size of the real thing. So like a cow roaming around, it would be able to roam around the streets, but it would be a little odd. Why'd they do that, Ben, when'd they do that? That never happened?
Speaker 1: I actually didn't, okay, which it was sinse Yeah, people just I think the stories that just kind of spread. Also, I think that's too too realistic. And I want to point this out because we're an audio podcast. There was a moment where I asked you about seeing a cow in the street and paused, and for a second I thought you were going to be like December thirteenth, twenty fourteen, Augusta, Georgia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be cool, now, not a cow. I've seen random horses. Yeah, Oh, and crap dude, So I meant to mention this. I was just in Boston for Funzies and my buddy Frank, Big friend of the show, went to a movie theater in near Harvard and were running around Harvard campus and guess what we were nearly accosted by turkeys. Yes, yeah, told man, they suck. I did not realize that. And you know, I believe in the past, on one show or the other, we've talked about like turkey attacks in the Boston area because there are these wild turkeys that just roam free. If this part of the country had a reputation for free roaming cows, that might have been a smart move. But outside of that, probably would have given away the game a little bit.
Speaker 1: As a friend to all animals, even unto the naked mole rat folks, I assure you turkeys are terrible or scary. If turkeys were people, they would be criminals. I agree, And they gang up on you. They show weakness.
Speaker 2: I googled it when I got back to the Airbnb, and I found a story from very recently about a Cambridge, US postal worker who was attacked by a gang of turkeys with such ferocity that he fell over and broke his hip and had to have a hip replacement. They'll also just fall out of trees at you, and they get mad at whomever is around at you, dude. You know, you know that would be my waking nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you feel the way you feel about turkeys is the way the US feels about Japanese invasions.
Speaker 2: That's fair. You're like that at every moment, the other shoe is gonna drop.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: If I was standing on that beach waiting for that shoe to drop, looking for something coming at me on the horizon, my like the traveler moment in Ghostbusters, where I'm picturing, you know, whatever the thing is it comes for me. It would be turkeys. But yeah, the goal would be not to picture anything, but what it would come into my head that would terrify me would be a giant Turkey's.
Speaker 1: Just absolute pieces of trash. So wow, that's a hot take. I didn't see coming today. They actually did a lot more work than just than just what we've described, which is already a big deal. The folks who built and maintained this project at plant too. They also stayed acted doing other stuff during the war, and there is a monograph like a piece of short writing by Leroy Leroy Robert Hanson Leroy, but I like Leroy.
Speaker 2: But the way it's spelled though is L lowercase E capitol roy, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It might be Leroy Leroy sounds more intriguing than.
Speaker 2: Le le Roy. Robert Hanson. He was the chief of the agronomy section and also involves in the Boeing projects. And I believe you mentioned the monograph right nineteen forty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got a super sexy title. Everybody's settle in and be comfortable. The use of grasses and lagoons were camouflage and dust control on air fields with a Seattle date line.
Speaker 2: What I know, right, just the tension. But the funny thing about that too is the idea of grasses and legumes and using different material. That's another thing that you can kind of see in the fabrication of like Disney World, you know, and like the fake mosses and things to achieve texture, like in the Avatar ride queue. That all this stuff that goes hand in hand. That's so fascinating to me. The intersection between entertainment and warfare, you know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and we know that they had to surmount a couple of different challenges. One of the big things was camouflage paint. They had to get a texture that paint would adhere to, but that would also not interfere with air traffic, and so eventually going to the point that things looking kind of rough up close, they eventually they said, we're going to use a crushed rock surface and we're going to roll it with an adhesive material. For paved areas, we'll use wood chips with cement for non traffic areas. And then for the parts of the complex they're between or past the runways, the houses get increasingly less realistic, right, they turn into like this concrete slab. Yeah, yeah, because you can't have a plane hit it.
Speaker 2: And again, you know, keeping with our whole, like this is meant for an audience of five thousand feet. The things that would be farther away from you know, what would be perceived would be less important, sort of like some of the you know, details on those matte paintings. I was talking exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And you know, speaking of matte painting, I've got to just shout this out. I rewatched a film that captivated me for a long time from Dustill Dawn sure not the not the Japanese crime bar vampire that I hang out with, Yeah, yeah, or that I hang out at Yeah. Dustill Down has this great mate painting at the very end. Do you remember this moment where they spoilers by the way, three to one spoilers. It's dawn, they're leaving the bar. Presumably the film begins at dusk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you remember the film.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm just saying the movie is now its yeah, and uh the bar is named Teddy Twister, And so as they're pulling away, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: The camera pans out and it's that big matte painting and you see the bar is just the top of an ancient Meso American temple.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's so good. Okay, now you got me one to watch that again. Sequels I think probably paying less dividends. First time. I've only seen clips, but they don't look very good. But the first one is schlocky by design and a hell of a lot of fun. Agreed.
Speaker 1: And uh, And we're bringing that up because you if you see Matt paintings like you're saying in film, then you'll notice if you look closely that the detail does decrease the further into the quote unquote background you get, and that's kind of what they're doing here with Boeing Wonderland.
Speaker 2: But to the title of that, the absolutely the captivating title of that monograph. We talked about they would decorate these quote unquote lawn areas and vacant lots with actual grasses and weeds designed by the members of le Roy Hanson's agronomy team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're following into it. We're calling them le Roy No, yeah, we have to. It's it's like the Roy Oh yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: You know, the Rob Roy so Debtly and his team are really knocking out of the park with this camouflage. This Bill Why describes it as passive defense, which I think that's smart because it is not. You know. I mean, there's the there are the gunners there in case of an emergency, but this is pure subterfuge, you know. And it seems like it's they're putting so much thought into it, how could it fail. There were other initiatives in place planning active defense, such as the execution of fire and air raid drills and the installation of some air raid shelters, and that was handled by a guy by the name of Glen V. Dearst, among other commanders that were in charge of these other kind of aspects of the whole deal. Another news release from the Boeing News Bureau that came out in nineteen forty three said that all of the plant personnel would be able to reach those sheltering spots, those bunkers in less than twelve minutes, so you know, the safety of the employees, it would appear, was also pretty paramount. Yeah, let's not have any illusions. That was all for humanitarian reasons.
Speaker 1: They need the workers to get the job done well, because they also wanted to build war machines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty thousand something.
Speaker 1: And it's strange because Seattle was, as we established, a unique problem for a couple of different reasons. If you have ever looked at the ground from an airplane, you notice that it's very easy to identify things through seeing the shape of the shore, like where land and water meet. So New York and San Francisco are very easy to recognize because of their shorelines. Des Moines or Topeka is different because their appearance is defined by rivers and bays, and Seattle is between Lake Washington and the Puget sound. So it's very easy to find landmarks if you know what you're looking for. And for this reason, our buddy deadly says, we're gonna have to do some more stuff with this Boeing project. We're gonna camouflage the employee parking lots. They're just too big and too obvious. We're also gonna cover sections of other adjacent land and we might need to make a fake river.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to your point, you know, this is a feature that would be necessary to sell the illusion. You know, I mean, not necessarily. The Japanese years were intimately familiar with the geography of the United States. But you know, to make it ring true, you know, to make it read as a successful illusion. You know, the way that stuff's laid out is really really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, right, they and again lives are on the line here. The future of the world actually depends on this camouflage plan, even if it sounds silly. So he has this plan, He's going to reroot the Duwamish River. They never actually do this because here's here's the pickle, and Max we were all talking about this off air too, man, here's the pickle. There were not any further camouflage projects after nineteen forty three, because by the time they built this stuff out, the course of the war had shifted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of like when you are it's like a magic We both love cooking projects.
Speaker 1: Imagine cooking something really evolved that takes hours and right is your ribs. Right as you're about to pull those beautiful slow cooked ribs out of the oven, your partners or your friends show up and they brought takeout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, KFC. Right in Japan, I tried. Right. Well, that's the thing though, too, where we almost don't have any way of knowing exactly how effective this stuff was at because it yeah, because of exactly what you say. When we say the wars shifted, does that mean it became more of a ground offensive or it just the what happened now? Obviously not and I wouldn't say that, what right, But what was that about the tactics to change?
Speaker 1: Well, by that point, Japanese forces have been driven from those Aleutian islands and they were increasingly on their heels, so they were much less likely to take an offensive posture or to be able to do so.
Speaker 3: Right, and check my days, Guadalcanal was like forty three, correct.
Speaker 2: I believe that's correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the first really big offensive because by this point of the war, Japanese weren't really bringing the fight to the United States.
Speaker 2: The United States were bringing the fight to them because.
Speaker 1: Right the islands hopping and stuff. So the fear, the overwhelming paranoia of nineteen forty two starts to fade. People are feeling a little now, they're just safer, is nervous. But then eventually that fades too, and they say, Okay, that was a.
Speaker 2: Crazy couple of years. Huh.
Speaker 1: And they go to the Japanese American population of the US and they say, sorry, we laughed up and they're like it's not cool. They're like, are bad.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like, you know, I recently watched the Aviator for the first time, and you know, during the height of these wars, when production was so important and innovation was so important, you didn't you kind of spent the money and asked the questions later, despite what we said about having to convinced, you know, the brass that these camouflage ideas were good. You know, a lot of times just happened. They'd make tons of planes, or they'd do a project, and then things would end or change, and you would basically have spent all this money for nothing. But that's just part of the nature of you know, being prepared, like the boy Scout Code of Ethics. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Henry Kissinger would later go on to say, just get it done and then we'll make it right later.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Also he is sort of like if a turkey was a person.
Speaker 2: So how do you really feel about.
Speaker 1: Yes, we can finally say that that's true, that's true. I've got a lot of text messages about that one.
Speaker 2: You know, I was a little freaked out.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't know if I want you congratulating me on my phone, guys. But but yes, So now that we walked down the street to take an unprompted shot at a dead man, we do have to tell you the these rooftop camouflage fake town things. Like you said, there was secrecy involved, but it's tough to keep that stuff secret. Like if you lived in the town, you would know something weird was up. It looked like somebody's built a mini golf course or a putt putt course on top of the airplane plan.
Speaker 2: Well, and to our earlier point. You know, this stuff at the time would have been completely off limits to any civilians, highly guarded you know, classify. Wouldn't have been any chatter about it on the you know, the radios or what have you, and any communication that wasn't encrypted. But now the were left with these sort of weird kind of tourist attractions that are built on top of these you know, these these airplane manufacturing facilities that are making these weapons of war. And like you said, people that lived near there, they know what's going on. You see the stuff being built, you know, So how do they do They kind of spin it as like a like a public like an active good will to the public, right, yeah, yeah, Hey guys, we were thinking.
Speaker 5: Of you.
Speaker 2: Psych just for your kids.
Speaker 1: Exactly on July seventeenth, about a month before, around a month before the Japanese government officially announces unconditional surrender, the Army Corps of Engineers says, look, we've already sent out some contracts to private entities. They're going to dismantle these fake towns. We're not going to keep these around two too long. They are no longer relevant. So, for instance, like a company out of la called LB Cotton Company. They got paid a little less than two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to take apart the Boeing Wonderland within one hundred and fifty days. So all told, we're looking at a cost of two million dollars, right, two to three million dollars.
Speaker 2: Did we mention that like setting foot on these fake roof you know, top attractions prior to this would have been a serious crime. Oh we didn't. Yeah, sure, yeah, I mean, you know, again because of the levels of classification and the secrecy around it, and you know, the fact that you could accidentally get yourself probably blown up by a you know, a gunner. Yeah, this would have been a big deal. And then within the course of a couple of months that the tide turned and now it's like this almost tourist attraction and it goes from that to being the very little memory of it, you know, ever having existed. Were you able to find any photos from this brief period of a photo op time?
Speaker 1: We have just a few if you go to and we mentioned this part one, if you go to Rare Historical Photos.
Speaker 2: That's right, I remember that all Chestnut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we went we went long. We went deep on this one. But if you go to Rare Historical Photos and shout out to Max for finding this, you'll see a couple of different still photographs where you can kind of see the edge over roof with the fake trees and the planes beneath. And then you can see one guy walking around this uncanny valley tower.
Speaker 2: Trees look weird. The trees look like they're made of polygons or something like a bad nineties sim game. This is like a Sega Saturn version of a town. But again from a distance. From a distance, these would have looked like trees, you know. I mean they knew what they were doing. Man, this is super interesting stuff. The grass looks like grass. The snosberries taste like Stosberry's, you know.
Speaker 1: And then you really, folks to get a sense of this, both the size of it and the weird scale of the buildings, check out this article. You can see you could see a couple standing next to the plywood paneled house and a little scale kind of yees see how short the houses are. You can see those hills we talk about because of the uneven sawtoothed roof.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I had said something earlier about how everything was kind of scale and I think maybe we buried the lead on this. I'm sure we mentioned it, but yeah, they're like squat looking, you know, because again, from from a height could you wouldn't be able to tell as long as they were wide enough, you wouldn't be able to tell how tall the houses were because all you're seeing is the flat parts or the parts that are you know, peaked. So it's brilliant. As long as the scale of the width and the length were right, the height didn't really matter. So that these funny little kind of dwarf houses exactly like Chick fil a. Oh man, that was a cool thing.
Speaker 3: So here's the photo that I saw that I actually I did not even think about this until right now, but I'll stroll through the photos and it's the people walking outside of a building going to another building, and above them is still the town because of course you have to have the town going over all of it. I'm like, it's like it's not just like one big building, it's a giant campus.
Speaker 2: One thing.
Speaker 3: I you know, I was in Seattle late last year and my buddy and I we kind of did like a loop and went as merce Island and stuff like that, and came down and we came up, like you know, through the south side of like Lake Washington, and that's where a lot of the you know, aviation stuff in Seattle was built and where it is still today.
Speaker 2: And I was going there, I'm like, this is like we didn't have enough time.
Speaker 3: It was very like short trip there, but I'm like, man, next time we're here, I want to go check out all the bowing stuff here.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And this is also, uh, this is where we see a really strange and neat thing. So it's an open secret. People aren't allowed around these mystery towns. But now that they are irrelevant and people have worked so hard on it, we get the sense that a lot of people said, well, we should at least let people no, we did something, that's right, guys. We worked so hard on our art project.
Speaker 2: Who knows there might be another World war coming right down the line where we need to do this again. We need to sort of patent our idea at the very least in the court of public opinion.
Speaker 1: So boeing As and Douglas Aircraft are like, Okay, we're gonna at least do some photos. Guys, we built out these elaborate sets. So they got a bunch of female employees and said, get to the rooftop, stroll around. Yeah, just what we're looking at, right, Yeah, just act like you're in a regular American suburb. And then these get these pictures get published in Boeing News and Douglas Airview and Boeing Magazine, and they get published right as yeah, right as this stuff is being torn down, and within a few months, it's back to a regular rooftop. Also, by the way, John Stewart Dettley, the creator of Boeing Wonderland.
Speaker 2: He is Hollywood big wig art director, husband to the stars. He's starting to have a tough time, right Yeah. The star in question Veronica Lake, Sex symbol Icon movie star. There were relationship began to disintegrate and it actually ended three months after she had an unfortunately terminated pregnancy. She actually, I believe, took a tumble and you know, while filming, and that led to a miscarriage and Debtly, you know, he kind of had peaked. It would seem he was never able to kind of re establish himself in the film industry and didn't go back to California for twenty years. And then he married another woman named Virginia Crowell. And you know, let's not forget he did have a background in architecture after all. So he did become a pretty well regarded architect in Seattle.
Speaker 1: And eventually, unfortunately he loses a second young child. Their three year old passes away. They leave Seattle. After that point, they spend time in Hawaii and Baltimore before settling in southern California. This is happening. The blackout paint is being stripped from the factories all up and down the coast. And even John Francis Omer, the magician and camouflage enthusiast.
Speaker 2: Has retired. This end of an era.
Speaker 1: End of an era indeed, and you can find people who still study this, like Billion Yena. You can also find folks like Mike Lombardi, who has an amazing job. I can't remember who I was. I was talking with my one of my sketch comedy buddies, Simon about this. A lot of big companies have a corporate historian, and your job is just to be the nerd who knows about stuff.
Speaker 2: I would love.
Speaker 1: That job depends on the company, though, right, Yeah, Like a candy factory, a walk a thing. That'd be nice.
Speaker 2: Unless the background involves, you know, the appropriation and abuse of indigenous people. Yeah, did you read the original book, the rold All Books. It's a little problematic the way addressed. Yeah, because they're like basically like Pigmy, like Zack African, you know, indigenous people.
Speaker 1: Also, if you want to learn more about Rule Dahl's Dark Side, I highly recommend this book, George's Marvelous Medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have read that one. It's a shorter one. It's it's a quick read, but it's pretty dark. Yeah. He has a handful of a sort of more young adult kind of ones.
Speaker 1: It's it's a book where just so you know, folks, if you want to if you want to be like the cool parent or the cool like uncle or aunt or something when the kids old enough, introduce them to stuff like Edward Gory and uh, George's Marvelous Medicine. This kid his parents leave to go shopping or something, and he decides that he's going to kill his grandmother.
Speaker 2: Okay, you need to say no more. Also, I remember one that probably did not age well is called The Twits. Oh gosh, I forgot. That's a pretty rough one in terms of it's uh, let's just say lampooning of what today would be considered mental health concerns. Yes, yeah, absolutely, But we also have an episode about Roll Dahl and his time as a fighter pilot himself and how it is entirely possible that his good friend Ian Fleming based a lot of the aspects of the James Bond character on Roll Dahll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our corporate historian for Boeing, Mike Lombardi, he remains amazed in interviews. He's saying, look, we've got almost a century's worth making great airplanes. You would think that most people asking us about the history of Boeing would ask about things like the B seventeen or the seven forty seven, but nope, the most popular subject is the neighborhood on top of Plant two. Everybody still is captivated by this, as are we, and I think we've got a lot of directions in this series, and we appreciate you as always folks for tuning in. We love weird obscure World War two history, as you can tell from our past episodes. Shout out to our super producer research associate for this, Max Williams, throwing some semaphore out there helping us land the plane hollah.
Speaker 2: Orrah and Husky. Yes, indeed, and thanks to Nathan Toski for keeping our marketing ducks in a row.
Speaker 1: Yes, podcasts Yes, And thanks to Jonathan Strickland a k a. L. Quizz, Thanks to aj Jacobs aka the Puzzler.
Speaker 2: And thanks to Let's see who else who else? Oh, Alex Williams. Alex Williams composed our name Chris Frostiotos and his wizard Beard He's Jeff Coats, both of them here in spirit. And thanks to you, Ben for allowing us to be each other's wingman. And also, can I be the Iceman? I thought you wanted to be the bag man? Well spent in our in our top gun kind of Okay, I've never seen top gun. I don't know either. I just know there's a character named the Iceman character. You're You're always my hunckle Beart is such a cruel life pie not thin. I think we uh, I think we got them. I think we do. We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.