Speaker 1: And Martinez in real life podcast. This episode end conversation is powered by I do say. I have facts here on the card.
Speaker 2: I never start my show with a card, but I'm starting the show with a card today.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, my guest today the most decorated female skier of all time. Eighty two World Cup wins, twenty World Cup titles, three Olympic gold medals.
Speaker 1: Tell me, Lindsay, if any of this is wrong, a little wrong, I'm correct me as I go, be like my hype.
Speaker 3: Girl, tell me the correct twenty world gig titles, three Olympic medals. Yeah, you got the twenty titles, three Olympic men on. All of them are gold. I mean, like, we could fudge that, but you can say it. I didn't say it. Okay, and someone broke my record, but I'm still the greatest downhiller of all time. Okay, we can, like, you know, we can maneuver that. But here's its relatively close.
Speaker 1: No, I like the seven World Championship medals.
Speaker 3: I think it's eight.
Speaker 1: Talk that shit.
Speaker 2: Lindsay author, philanthropists and overall badass Lindsay Vaughn is here today. I mean, come on, hi, Lindsay I'm so happy you're here.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy you asked me.
Speaker 1: Thank you? Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I DM Lindsay and I said, hey, you want to be slid to her dam I was like, hey, boo, would.
Speaker 1: You consider me on my podcast? She was like, I love center.
Speaker 2: I'm in Yeah, I love that. So our first meeting, do you remember when we first met. Was it PR's birthday or was it it was Pr who works with spring Hill, So all the spring Hill guys were there, Rich Paul Mav who works with lebron Uh and Lindsay and I were at this long dinner table and we sat across from each other, and I have to be honest, I didn't I.
Speaker 3: Didn't know who you were either.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We just talked for like hours.
Speaker 2: We didn't know who each other were. We just on a human level, just started chatting. And then you I had I was what I was years ago, so I was probably fresh off of like car accident. I was still not moving well, and we started talking about injury. Told you how to broke my back, and then you got into oh, well I broke my this, and I broke.
Speaker 1: My that, and I broke and then so now we're across.
Speaker 2: The table talking about our injuries, and I was like, oh, well, so anyway, so yeah, because I was in a car accident, so how'd you get your injuries?
Speaker 1: And he was like, you know, I'm a skier.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you're a skier. And as I say that, MAV walks.
Speaker 1: By and he goes and she's the greatest skier of all time. I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then I became obsessed with you, and then watched a documentary which was beautiful than you, and I kind of watched a lot of your falls and spills. I could hardly watch them. I could can't really bear it.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I watched them, so you should be.
Speaker 2: Let's start there. Let's start with your ability to well the injuries.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, I'm thinking I'm talking to a like like a personal we've had similar which is not the case.
Speaker 3: No, it's true, honestly, probably car accidents worse.
Speaker 1: And because there's trump with there's trauma in that. But I would imagine there's trauma in your spills.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm actually a little bit weird in that way. I don't know car the trauma. I've actually talked to my therapist and he's like, Okay, let's let's break down the trauma. Like, I actually don't have any traual. I just feel like, you know, it happened, I'm injured, Like I have to find a way through it. There's no point in going back and holding on to whatever it is that happened. And I always just look forward, you know. And that's just and I it's easier said than done. No, it's fascinating, but it's just how my mind works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did you have to learn that or was that always like that?
Speaker 3: I think it honestly just comes from perspective from my mom. She had a stroke when she had me, and she was a bit disabled from she had She had problems with her ankle, so she couldn't run, she couldn't ski with me, she couldn't bike. She had really a lot of trouble with her balance. But it was something that she no matter what she did, she could never overcome it. And so I had this perspective of Okay, I'm out here doing what I love to do. I got hurt. I can be fixed, you know. I just have surgery. I have to do the work, and I'll be back on the mountain. So it was not like my mom who can't right right, So that was always my first back. If I was lucky to have the opportunity to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty great because I fat and it's inspiring to me so deeply because I had so much trauma. And then I'm at a point it's been like four years, and actually the trauma I think made me better. It made me like roll out things projects like this, and it made me slow down my.
Speaker 1: Life and all types of stuff.
Speaker 2: But I realize now, just now four years later, that I'm like, I'm holding onto the trauma a little bit too much. And I see somebody like you, and I'm watching footage of you, like rolling down a hill at eighty after skiing eighty miles an hour, and then you're like getting up and like, okay, fix my name because I got to get back out there, which is insane.
Speaker 3: I'm a little insane, it is true, But I just think I think about it logically, and what's the point of hanging onto it. It's only hurting me, Like I need to learn have perspective from what happened, and how can I be better going forward? And I've always felt that all of my injuries have given me, you know, life lessons. I've become a better person, a stronger person mentally. I just learned so much about myself. And it's hard to like make something positive out of something that's so traumatic and negative. You know, if you look at all the things that you've done since your car crash, you know it's changed for you know, you know it's giving you a different level of drive. That's really positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's totally positive. I just think I don't know, there's still a lot of fear.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes i'm driving, I have like a little flashback or that's normal sometimes.
Speaker 1: I just had these shots done.
Speaker 2: Shout out to doctor Abby by the way he gave me these. I tried these like plasma injections therapy, No, not PRP is a new thing that he does them in Miami.
Speaker 1: It's placenta. It's placenta injection.
Speaker 2: Into the scar tissue breaks up, the scar tissue gets mobility and all of that. And I was so irritable from just a little numbing shots and he was like, it's not that painful.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I know, it's not that painful. I'm just freaking out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, yeah, you're your ground zero, and so it's all trauma. And his wife was there, who does breath work, so she's helping me breathe through it.
Speaker 1: And I'm laying there in.
Speaker 2: The doctor's office and she's like, you getta breathe through it.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, this is stupid.
Speaker 2: This has been four years, Like like, this is me talking to myself. Get over it already, you know.
Speaker 3: Like, but I think it's also important to like acknowledge your feelings, you know, like and then get over it well at some point. At some point, I mean, I think it's a process, yeah, you know, and everyone, like I process certain things differently than others in skiing and crashing is just something that I have a weird way of processing. But it's important to acknowledge the feelings, and I think sometimes we try to push them away and that actually makes it worse because we're not acknowledging it. I think we have to acknowledge it, process it, and then we can move forward. I just do that really quickly.
Speaker 1: And skiing it's fascinating to me. I think there's so much to learn in that.
Speaker 2: But have you had to deal with in other parts too, or is it just skiing, Like, have you had any other.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've said had three since I've retired from skiing.
Speaker 1: You recover from those?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's going to be a lifelong process, to be honest. I have a plate and eighteen screws in my arm and it's just it's always there. I play tennis all the time, and it just it hurts me and it zings me, and you know, it's just like a it's never gonna go away. It's always a reminder. And my knees like they hurt like hell every morning that I wake up. But I also at the same time, like I don't regret it. I don't regret any decision that I made in my skiing career. I wouldn't change it for the world. So I kind of I try to think about it as like, hey, I accomplished a lot and this is just a reminder of what I did in a good way.
Speaker 1: You are so positive.
Speaker 3: Does it never fail you?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: It does? Like skiing is kind of like in my body, it's kind of my superpower, and then like emotions are not my superpower. So really, yeah, it's like skiing was always kind of I put on my Superman You know, costume, and it was like my alter ego, and then in real life I was never quite as confident. So I don't know, it's like my alter ego.
Speaker 1: I guess, yeah, I see that. I feel.
Speaker 2: I always think that, like we've had a couple of great athletes on the Pie, we had Derek Jeter, Mike Tyson, and I always think there's something about extraordinary athletes that you have to have some sort of critical moments and then to perform at your best, because a lot of us would get like in.
Speaker 1: Those critical moments, we get scared the most.
Speaker 2: That's what we are the most, Like, oh god, it's the big moment.
Speaker 1: I'm so nervous.
Speaker 3: Like you get love for those moments, That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: You have that too, You have that you live for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't know. I always go back to Billy Jean King like pressure as a privilege, and I look at it as such an amazing opportunity. And of course when I was younger, you know, I did get really nervous and I had to figure out a way, you know, to deal with it. But once I like figured it out and I harnessed it and I use it to my advantage like I use those emotions to propel me down the mountain. It's so empowering once you do get it, because it's it is an opportunity, you know, and and if you fuck it up, you fuck it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's life.
Speaker 3: But I like going in just full steam ahead. You know, I'm prepared, I'm driven. I'm gonna try my best at this. If I fail, flat out my face, which I've done many times in not just skiing, but that's you know, that's life. I learn and I move forward.
Speaker 1: How did you figure it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What did you figure out? What is the thing?
Speaker 2: Like? Was there something you learned to tell yourself? What is the conversation in your head that gets you from.
Speaker 3: Never be afraid to fail? Because whenever I was afraid to fall or afraid not to succeed, I was done. Forget it. My might as well not even have started the race. You have to be willing to put yourself out there, which you know again like no one wants to be disappointed. No one wants to let yourself down or other people's down. People down, my parents down, my family down. Once you can move past that and say, you know who cares? I'm gonna try my best. If I fail trying my best, there's nothing more I could have done, you know what I mean. So I think there's a piece in that almost Yeah, but yeahah, like you have to be okay with you know, giving your best and never having regrets. Regrets are or again another piece of the puzzle that will eat you alive.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you just tell yourself, fuck it, fuck it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who cares?
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Try my best?
Speaker 2: If I fall on my face at eighty miles an hour, literally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I in front of the whole world. I actually talked a lot with The Rock with DJ about it as well. We're on the same page in that sense, you know, never be afraid to fail, like always putting yourself out there, and it's a hard thing to actually do. You know, it's easy to say, but it's sometimes really hard to do.
Speaker 1: So I know you are friends with The Rock too. Has he ever given you because he seems like a great advice giver.
Speaker 3: He literally is the hardest working person I've ever met. Like I don't know if he's I think he's like Dracula and he's like you know, it's like he feeds off his cheap day pancakes and what else whatever else it's always got well. I mean, I'm like, how do you eat that many pancakes? Anyways? I do think like his his drive, like is so inspiring to me, and just how he never falters from being himself. He is what he appears to be the nicest fucking person ever and the hardest working person ever. And I think, you know, similar to me. Anythink he needs to find some balances, do I? And I think his daughter's like he's such a great girl dad as well, But I don't know. It's like we just gotta lift each other up and keep working hard. And it's not one thing, it's everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that you're inspired by people's drive.
Speaker 3: I mean, sometimes I'm so tired and I'm like, he's working harder. I can do this. He hasn't slept, He's working out three in the morning. I don't know if I can do that, but I can work harder.
Speaker 1: It inspires you.
Speaker 3: It inspires me.
Speaker 2: Me about that, like that fearlessness and just fear And do you have any fear? Like when you would go out there, no no fear? How I know you say you do your best and you go.
Speaker 3: But I love so. First of all, I'm an adrenaline junkie, So I love going fast like I love.
Speaker 1: Do you like the fear or there is no fear.
Speaker 3: There's no fear, it's not I get. I like the butterflies. Like when I was a kid, I used to climb all the trees, like all the highest trees. I never was worried about falling or you know, and when I started skiing, I just always want to be fast, like faster than my grandparents, faster than my parents, you know. Every time I was on the mountain, I just want to go fast, fast, fast, So that part of me is is definitely unique. And I think that's why that made me a good downhiller, because I was never afraid, and when the course was challenging or their weather was challenging, I actually really enjoyed, you know, watching other skiers faces because they would get nervous or scared, and I saw that I need this to my advantage. Crazy, But I think.
Speaker 1: Are you aware though, how unique?
Speaker 3: And I know it's weird. Yeah, it's different.
Speaker 2: Because that showed up for you, Like are you able to implement that into other parts of your life?
Speaker 1: Like you're because you know there's.
Speaker 2: Fear and like a first date where there's fear, and like I don't know, speaking publicly.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, you know, I think it's helped me a lot in like public speaking, Like I'm much better when I just wing it. You know, if I'm prepared, then it's like I have to do something that.
Speaker 1: In the sphere there trying to think of.
Speaker 2: Fear shows up in anywhere in your life.
Speaker 3: I mean, fear shows up like if I get a speeding ticket. You know, I've lost my life since one four, So.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised by the way. I'm totally not surprised. You're like, no, well, that's not fear, that's like shit.
Speaker 3: I know, it's definitely it's a different emotion.
Speaker 1: It's different.
Speaker 3: But no, I think I do my best one. I don't stress about the outcome whatever that is.
Speaker 1: So it's an overall thing. It's not just.
Speaker 3: And I will say it probably I probably should have been like more skeptical at some points in my life where I was just too open and accepting and like didn't. It's not necessarily fear, but it's trust. Also, you know, I'm like my mother, I'm very trusting in what and just like relationships or you know, not even necessarily romantic ones, but just in people in general. And I've definitely learned how to be more reserved because you have only so much energy and you can't give it out to everybody, right, And yeah, so it's that's something I've had to learn because I am fearless in that way. Like I just I don't, I don't know. I take everyone for face value, and I sometimes maybe shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Well, that's usually a thing that happens to women, is like if you have a bad relationship and then like you don't trust men again for the next for many years or you know, but you don't seem to do that again to your life. You probably should, but you don't.
Speaker 3: But nobody else that's romantic you should.
Speaker 2: But then also sometimes it could ruin a relationship because you're taking your old stuff and putting it into something new and then how you know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, that's that's a hard one.
Speaker 1: You hope it was romantic, they do, Yeah, you know, but.
Speaker 3: I do realize that, you know, things don't always work out the way.
Speaker 1: You think they will, but you get back up.
Speaker 3: You get back up.
Speaker 2: In true Lindsay volume in a good fight. You were actually married, really young, married and divorced young?
Speaker 1: Like, what does that do? You don't make mistakes, but what does that do to you? What do you learn from that? Leg?
Speaker 3: I mean I was at twenty two. I don't know what you know at twenty two, But.
Speaker 1: Why did you even think you should get married at twenty two?
Speaker 3: I can't even tell you. I don't know, I really don't know. I mean, it was a hard time in my life. My parents were divorced and I had been living on my own since I was fifteen, you know, traveling on the.
Speaker 4: You're looking for somebody to do it with, just you know, I thought, you know, I thought this is what I'm supposed to do, and then it definitely wasn't and I had.
Speaker 3: To course correct and figure it out. And it was hard, I think for me because at a young age. You know, I was very successful at that age, and I had never really been in control of my money, and I wish I had been, so I had to learn the hard way. But that's one thing that I like really try to teach also in like with my foundation, just financial independence, you know, having you know, women having control over their own big accounts and having you know, did.
Speaker 2: You not have that at the beginning, You didn't have like control of your stuff?
Speaker 3: Wow, well we all make mistakes. Yeah, I just you know, I was so young. I didn't know, you know, who's going to manage my money? And how does that work? And I, you know, was so focused on my skiing, you know, and it just was Yeah, I had to rely on someone and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: What is the big lesson though for you? Like how do you operate differently then?
Speaker 3: I think in general, you know, managing your own money first of all, Like, no matter what happens, you know, if I get married, if I don't get married, I always need mine, you know. And I think that's true for all women. You know. It just gives you a level of freedom. No matter what you're facing in your life, you always have that that's yours.
Speaker 2: It's funny you talk about money and stuff because I think I've heard you say skiing wasn't it's not necessarily a big financial no like women, but I think women in sports in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah, women in sports in general, it's very hard to make money unless you play tennis.
Speaker 1: And then when you think about how much time, effort, magic.
Speaker 2: Skill that you have to have and then to not be financially compensated for that.
Speaker 3: It's hard. I mean, I think you know, ski racing is a great sport. You know, if you look at the Olympics, it's one of the most popular in the in the winter Olympics, but in general, you know, most people only know about skiing every four years, So you know, how do you make that? What do you do in the four years the three years in between, and how do you make money? So on the World Cup, if you want a race, it was thirty thousand Swiss ranks, which then got converted into you know, euros or whatever I was before the euro it was whatever Austrian shillings or German marks whatever, and then it's converted into US dollars and then you you tax on it. So about the end of the day, you're supposed to survive on that getting nothing. So you know, and that's what my father always told me, and I will give a lot of credit for that, is that, you know, I have to be more than an athlete because there's no money in it. You have to earn it. You have to go and be more. And you know, it's like Peegaboo Street was my idol and she had this big deal with an athletic company and it was like the first of its kind. But besides that, it wasn't there's really no endorsement deals we had for women. And so one of one of the things that I did in my career was talk to the guys and I because I there's if there's no transparency, how am I supposed to know if I'm getting underpaid compared to a man or not. So I asked them point blank and some of the top male racers actually told me what they were making and you were like oh, And I was like, whoa, Okay, I'm on in the same ballpark and I need to fix that. So I literally went and I was like, this is what I need, and this is what you're going to give me, and I know what the guys make, so don't even try And I got it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And who do you have to go to that ask that?
Speaker 3: Is it the brands or is it the actual to find out what they made?
Speaker 1: No, like to add to get more money, I had.
Speaker 3: To go straight to the brand. Yeah, when I renegotiated whenever, when when any of my contracts were up.
Speaker 1: But like for a young skier who maybe she doesn't.
Speaker 3: Have unfortunately in skiing, like you're not going to get anything until you're in the top twenty in the world, wow, to make any like any money whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And so you have to absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: You have to. Yeah, I mean, I know so many of my friends that I grew up with that have metal in almost every like limb of their body and the only reason why they kept going was because they loved it. I mean, you have to at that point, you don't subject yourself too.
Speaker 2: Because this doesn't sound fun to me at all. Guys, by the way, this life is not good. Like first of all, it's not even just the injuries alone in the whatever you got going on in your the screws and the bolts, and but you also, like it's the discipline of having to be able to compete at that level. You're working out every however many hours a day, and like, none.
Speaker 1: Of that sounds fun to me. That doesn't sound like a good time. You love it?
Speaker 3: I love it?
Speaker 1: Like, yes, I love this, I think to each own.
Speaker 3: Like I think a lot of people would think, you know, speaking in front of people or being on a radio show or whatever like that is torture. It's not tortreoss but like difficult and that they wouldn't want to do it. I know if you're comfortable doing it, Like I can never do what you do and you can never do what I do. And so that's what that's what makes us, you know unique. So I don't know I love in the beginning, Like let's face that I was, you know, a young teenager. I didn't like you know, my dad made me run a mile every day, so and he made me do a hundred push ups and one hundred sit ups because I had to pass a test to make the US ski team. Got it, and trust me, I did not love that. But you know, as time went on, like you realize that the more work I put in, the more I get out of it, And so you end up loving it because it inevidably makes you better. So that's that's like how I processed in my mind. And I would sit on the bike, you know, for hours, and I would just think about whoever I wanted to beat that season, or you know, like I'm going to be this much faster because I'm spending this much time m hm working out.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you about that, get like your keys to being so disciplined. But I guess that's it, right, like you everything you think about the outcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always believe that. You know, I never cut corners, if you know, I like having plans. If my my trainer gives me a workout program, like I'm gonna do every single thing in that program to the tea, I will not cut any.
Speaker 2: Wine because I'm such a whiner you are. Oh God, I'm like, it hurts you don't do this. I don't imagine Lindsey and in the gym talking about.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't like it. It hurts. I'm tired, like you're not doing any of that.
Speaker 3: No. Sometimes my trainer would try to like cheer me on, and I would be like.
Speaker 1: If you don't shut the hell up, shut off right now.
Speaker 3: He's like, you know, push it, but do you think I'm not pushing it? Similways like I'm always giving it one hundred and ten percent. And I'm like, if you're cheering for me, that thinks you That means that you don't think that I'm giving one hundred ten percent, which means you should stop talking.
Speaker 1: And I'm insulted.
Speaker 3: I'm insulted that you don't think I'm trying hard enough.
Speaker 2: You probably because I always say, like around they won't play like we can't like I like play cards and game game nights, Like he won't play games with me. He says, I'm like in a competitive I'm inappropriately competitive.
Speaker 1: Like it's not it's like it's too far.
Speaker 2: It's not fun for everyone. And I gotta imagine that you are a lunatic.
Speaker 3: I'm a lunatic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you do game like even on game night? Are you a crazy person? I you don't play, you don't even get in it.
Speaker 1: I just it's bad.
Speaker 3: And I've definitely like I will give myself one chance if I don't annihilate everybody, and then.
Speaker 1: I won't win, but annihilate.
Speaker 3: Even ping pong, Like I have a problem. I really want to win.
Speaker 1: You really want to win.
Speaker 3: We want to win. Yeah, I've really tried to, like honestly unprogram that from my from who I am, but it's so ingrained. You can ask my siblings.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like how to God like, because guys are like funny with I remember being going to date back in the day with this guy and we were playing we went he was like, let's go play pool, and I was like, I love pool. We have a drinks, we're playing pool, and then he said something like, yeah, this is like not fun.
Speaker 1: For me, and first of all, we'll ever get out of here. But also then I it made me.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, is this like you don't want me to win?
Speaker 2: I definitely took it that way, but also I was like, it was the first time anybody was like I don't like that about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not cool.
Speaker 1: It's so number one. He didn't obviously didn't make it, didn't make the cut.
Speaker 2: Nobody also too, And then I realized that about myself because I didn't even know that that was a thing. So sometimes I'm like, if we're playing, like you all set it out or I'll just be like that's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good in the corner.
Speaker 1: You don't want me in here?
Speaker 3: No, you really don't. Yeah, because I said that after that first dam like I want me and I'm telling you, I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's hard, I think.
Speaker 2: But how do guys handle that like with you, because because if you're beating them at everything, that well, well yeah.
Speaker 3: Unless you're my friend and like you don't care.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean like prominately on a date yea, or.
Speaker 3: Dating say romantically doesn't particularly bode well. I mean I would say, you know, it's fun to a point, it's like always fun until it's not fun and then they don't want you to beat them at everything, yeah, or even if it's not, you know, competitively against each other, you know, even like when I'm successful, you know, there's always I think sometimes there's this like competition you know, between each other, and that should never happen, you know, it should always be I'm happy for you and you're happy for me, and we both want to you know, be better and more successful in our careers and lives. And it doesn't always work out that way.
Speaker 2: No, you need a very confident man in some way, like he has to be good at something, yes, killing whatever he's doing, because just the killer.
Speaker 3: I think it's this insecurity part, like you have to be secure in who you are no matter what you do, and that's easier said than done. And I definitely think that, you know, I was pretty insecure you know, at a lot of points in my life.
Speaker 1: Life when and how and why.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I've been traveling the world without rental supervision since I was like nine, so you know, like I definitely felt there was something that's crazy. I like, think about it now, you send your kid on an airplane to go to Austria at nine at nine, I don't know. Definitely not these days. But you know, I think it made me independent. But I also, you know, I think I lacked certain like social cues and you know, like in relationships. I don't think that was always easy. Like all I knew was competition and.
Speaker 1: Oh I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So when did that switch for you? How did you, like, how did you become aware and then and then what did you have to do?
Speaker 3: I think I learned over time through trial and error, which is honestly how I learned a lot about my life is just trying, like being not afraid to fail, just trying things and Okay, this didn't work. Why did this not work? And also figuring out like who am I outside of skiing? You know, you're not what you do, and that was hard for me to figure out. And honestly, like I think in the last two years, I finally really like wholeheartedly figure out who I am as a person and nothing to do with skiing, even though it's what I love to do. That's not who I am.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you about that, because even when you're watching your docment, it's like about your final season, it's like your whole life since you're nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is who I am.
Speaker 2: This is my purpose to be great, to be a great, the best skier in the world. And then all of a sudden you're not that anymore. Then after the whole life, So what am I?
Speaker 1: Who am I? And what is my purpose?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Like what do I bring to the world?
Speaker 1: This is probably pretty com like for athletes who retire.
Speaker 3: That's why you see a lot of athletes having a really hard time. You know, a lot of athletes have gambling problems. They you know, abuse drugs and alcohol, and it's a really hard place to be in. And also it's because you've always thought you yourself to be invincible as well, you know, like especially in team sports, you know you have to, like football, for example, like you have to believe that your career is gonna last forever. It's kind of a mentality. But then it stops the check stop, like what do you do? And it's a hard it's a really hard reality to face. And I knew for me, it was either going to go extremely in one way or the other. So I went extreme, like I went super clean. I like was working out all the time and definitely too far to that end. But I just it was kind of a a course correction that I had to just figure out, Okay, who am I? What's my next move? What do I do? What's my passion? Like, what's my passion in life besides going really fast?
Speaker 1: And what did you figure out?
Speaker 3: So I figured out, like through my psychologist that you know, it's like looking at skiing. What do I love about skiing? I love the feeling of freedom. When I stand at the top of the mountain, I feel like anything is possible, Like I am in control of my life. So how do I get that? Like what in life now makes me feel that way? Sometimes it's driving my car. I feel like I'm.
Speaker 1: At driving really fast.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, it's a problem, you know.
Speaker 3: I just like contl Yes, not necessarily control, but the feeling of anything is possible. So when I do things now, it's like that's how I find my passion. It's like when I think about doing something like creating a TV show or a movie, does that make me feel the same type of passion. Does that make me excited in that way? And a lot of the time it does, And that's like, those are the directions that I go in. But I also figured out, like, so that's what drives me, that's my passion. But who I am is still the same person I've always been. I'm just a kid from Minnesota. You know, I'm a flat lander. Sometimes I talk in a funny accent after a few cocktails.
Speaker 1: Really, I want to see that.
Speaker 3: No, you know I do? No, you don't.
Speaker 1: Is that it a little bit I do? I'm in.
Speaker 3: It's bad.
Speaker 1: It's not like it's a good time.
Speaker 3: No, it's really not. We enunciate our vowels really badly. That's something that I've really worked hard to suppress. But with a couple of tequilas, I am in rare form. I love that for you. You say that now, But but yeah, I'm just the same. I'm just a kid from Minnesota who you know loves pushing the limits and pushing herself. And it's pretty simple.
Speaker 2: You've had to figure out new ways to push yourself. I guess right, that's the trick.
Speaker 3: The trick because like, it's not who I am, but it's also like what gives me joy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But isn't there? Is there also a thing.
Speaker 2: About like I think about this with athletes or anybody who's achieved greatness in an area or in some part of your life. If it's like, how do you not always chase a level of greatness at that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, it's how Yeah, Like, so I want to try to chase a different type of greatness. Am I going to be the greatest movie maker of all time or the greatest television may I don't know.
Speaker 3: You never know. Kobe got Kobe got an Oscar. I was there, It's possible.
Speaker 1: Were you at the Oscars?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was there.
Speaker 2: I was at the Oscars that year too. My good friend Mary J. Blische got nominated for an award and so I went that year.
Speaker 3: Wow, we were there, We're there together. This was all it was all meant to be.
Speaker 1: It's all meant to be. What were you doing there?
Speaker 3: I was with Rolex and I was like, you know, oh, my son is really slight. Was amazing.
Speaker 2: I was with Rolex, I was just with a Ronde and I was with my friends.
Speaker 3: Me and my sister. It was a dress up day and it was I've always really wanted to go.
Speaker 1: Did you see Kobe? Did you know Kobe?
Speaker 3: I've met him at the London Olympics, and you know, I've been a huge I'm always a fan of Like I love sports in all its forms, so I know a lot of athletes and definitely was always inspired by his work ethic.
Speaker 1: And then you were there and you saw him when I saw.
Speaker 3: Him, like, Kobe just won an oscar, so you know it's not possible if nothing is impossible. And guess what I mean, you know, win an oscar, own a fall flat on my face, and I'm totally fine with either.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, can you be happy if you don't be the greatest at something else? Like, for would you be happy with just the the striving.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, I want to strive to be, like to do the best that I can do.
Speaker 1: You like the striving for it? Or is it the actual greatness?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I think it's a journey as well, Okay, like it is a process. I mean I don't I don't just love winning, like, I actually really like working hard, Like I'm again maybe like a little couple of screwslers, but I like the journey of working hard. You know, even though I fall like I like that, I like that, I get back up and I keep going, like, you know, that's just something that it fuels me, like, it gives me more drive and motivation. So you know, maybe I won't want to Oscar the first time. Maybe the second time, you believe, but I believe, Like I don't know. I've been working on a movie with Robert Redford for a long time.
Speaker 1: Now, and we talked about this night I met you. You see a full circle. All of this is happening. That movie is gonna be great. I know that for you. We talked about it that night. I believed in it and I had just met you. I didn't even know you were to.
Speaker 3: Do that shit for a long It's coming.
Speaker 1: I remember I told you I was doing a script. Yeah, you had just started that. I just finished. It's something in the universe. It's happening here, doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: We should do something together maybe.
Speaker 2: Well maybe we'll be at the Oscars the same year we should be.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine?
Speaker 3: Could you imagine we have to do another podcast that happens.
Speaker 2: We are kind of regroup right here, regroup and talk about the journey of that and how we made greatness again exactly.
Speaker 1: I love that for us.
Speaker 2: I like that by the way I'm putting it out, Oh you would like somebody who what is that called manifests manifest Yeah, yeah, it's but it's not just manifesting, it's working hard.
Speaker 3: Like That's the key thing that I think a lot of people miss. Like you manifest it, but you like, you work hard to get there. But I do believe that if you put it in the world and you strive for it, it will happen eventually. It might take me a long time.
Speaker 1: That's okay, I'll get that. But you like the journey, So I like the journey. Yeah, you have to love the journey, a long journey.
Speaker 3: We could be at the Oscars in ten years and five years in one year. Probably not, but you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's a thing that the people miss. It's the journey.
Speaker 2: It's like everybody sees the highlight reel and everybody sees and they're like, oh, I want to be like her.
Speaker 1: Oh I want that thing that they have.
Speaker 2: But do you love the actual thing that it took her to get there? Yeah, because you have to love your journey. Otherwise, what the hell is the point because the winds are just tentpoles. It's not your life. Your life is actually the journey.
Speaker 3: Well, if you think about it, I wor to my whole life to win an Olympic gold medal and a downhill race was only a minute in fifty four seconds. So you have to love the journey.
Speaker 2: Otherwise you're only happy for a minute and fifty four seconds of your whole life.
Speaker 1: That would be so sad.
Speaker 3: I'll be short lived, Yeah, it would be so really sad. Yeah, but most people I think aren't willing to put in the sacrifices that it takes to reach your goals. Yeah, you know, it's again it's like you can manifest it, but like there are so many sacrifices that no one sees that you know, you make every day that are what get you to where you want to go, you know, and I saw I've seen so many people in my life that were more talented than I was, you know that just they thought they were going to make it, they manifested it. They didn't work hard like you you have to put in the time.
Speaker 2: Or they work hard, but they don't believe that they can actually do it, or they let fear get in the way, or they let outside noise get in the way or all of those things.
Speaker 1: Also, yeah, true, get in your way.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of things that can get in your way. It's a lot of things, mostly yourself.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good and pretty and definitely true. I just interviewed this. I just interviewed recently Ryan Coogler.
Speaker 2: Oh really, and we should have talked about filmmakers since we're both going to be when we just talked about filmmaking. But one of the things he talked about is his work addiction. And it's like he realized that about himself because he was going through some time in his life where he was dealing with some personal issues and instead of dealing with them, he was like buried in work. And he was like, oh, shoot, I have like this is a problem. I should be dealing with this, and instead I'm making calls and doing when I'm working. Because it's his work addiction, right, and he had to learn how to balance it. I was like, but you love what would you love it? So what's the problem? It was like, yeah, but also you could lose the things that are most important to you if you are not aware of that.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: I probably needed to hear that someone and I have worked on that kind that life work life balance thing. But I wonder for you, it's like you are just a machine. Even now you're like talking about the next.
Speaker 3: Phase, and I'm gonna it is a problem for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like how do you balance problem? Do you shut off? Do you find like your No?
Speaker 3: I mean like I think I need to prioritize time with my family and just being home and being depressing and making sure that you know, I don't always work all the time, and you know, I definitely I don't have a lot of friends. And the friends I do have, they understand me and and that I'm crazy about what I do and they accept that, you know, they accept who I am. But it's hard to you know, it's hard to deal with me because I'm like, I'm always driven, and I do think it's important to have balanced I just don't always find it, you know, And I have to just balance myself out because I just have a tendency to go, go, go and never stop. And if you keep going, you lose the people that are around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why that's why I asked that, because when he said that, he's like Yeah, because you lose what's the most important if you're not if you don't adjust, and I wanted that for you. It must be interesting. Do you have like your friends are like from childhood? Yeah, because I was going to say, what kind of friends? How do you manage friendships or relationships or anything when you're like this is all the time?
Speaker 3: So I have three really good friends and we've all known each other since you were like seven.
Speaker 1: So they get you, they know you. They're like, she's she's being lindsay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she didn't together, she didn't show up at.
Speaker 1: The birthday party, and she didn't call me back.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm the first one to admit, like I'm horrible with birthdays, Like I'm just not my friend. Also and her mother have the same birthday as me, and I'm still bad at it.
Speaker 1: You know that's really I know.
Speaker 3: But you know she accept me for who I am. But you know she knows my heart. We just we've been through a lot and we don't see each other very often, but like we're on the same page, Like it's as if we you know, whenever we see each other's as if no time has ever passed. And then my best best friend. I met her about fifteen years ago, got set up on a friend date and a friend date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you ever I had never heard of her? No, had I didn't even know.
Speaker 3: That was a thing. Yeah, because you know, she's an esthetician and she was a good friends with one of our physical therapists, and you know, my physical therapy was like you don't have any friends. I'm like, okay, we don't need to point that out or tell anybody about it. She's like, you know what, you would be really good friends with Vanessa, Like we should. We're going to go on a friend date. And she literally went to a concert, she introduced us and left. No, yeah, fully left.
Speaker 1: Here's here's a friend, here's a friend for you.
Speaker 3: Good luck.
Speaker 1: And why did she think she was a good friend?
Speaker 3: Why we're very similar? We're like, we're so similar. She's so driven, she has two amazing kids, and she's just like super mom. But we're like instantaneous friends. Never that's never happened to me before.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because you entered the friendship with intention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely intention Yeah, but she is like, had no clue but skiing, like honestly, no. Though she was at my final race of my career. She bought her two kids all the way to Sweden and her amazing husband. So they're just amazing people. And I think it's important to find people that understand you, that support you, and like you can rely on them no matter what, which is really hard to find these days. I mean, I just don't meet a lot of people. No, it's not like how do I meet somebody? Like, how am I going to meet a friend? Like? I mean, we met randomly, and we.
Speaker 2: Didn't You didn't know me, I didn't know you. We were like, oh my god, my back, oh my hip on my leg. You had just had something going on. I had just had a.
Speaker 1: Surgery, and I was like, I liked her so much by the way.
Speaker 2: We were in the sea of a put But there was a bunch of people, a bunch of people. There were people from my world that know me very well. I'm sure there was people that knew you very well. Yeah, And we were like yeah.
Speaker 1: And then and then we just keeping I've.
Speaker 3: Broke my back and I broke my knee. We should be besties.
Speaker 1: We should totally be resting. I'm mad we didn't stay more in touch.
Speaker 2: We will now now now we will, But was also we have to get ready to go to the Wars, you know, so we should plan like what we're gonna wear and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So I'm very excited about that day. That'll be our be like coming like a friend date.
Speaker 3: Like no, like leave them behind, our men behind and we'll just go together.
Speaker 1: I would love that for us. And by the way, that would actually happen.
Speaker 4: We have to go through it's it would be disrespectful if we did.
Speaker 3: We manifested if we did it.
Speaker 1: It would be so crazy. But I love this for people.
Speaker 2: It's another because we always talk about like speed dating with men. It's always about like a man woman or just romance, not even just man women, but romantic relationship. We talk about dating or meeting or approaching them with intention and all that.
Speaker 1: But you actually you can.
Speaker 3: Do that with just friendships. Yeah, I mean never really heard that. And it's also I think really important with women. I don't really feel that supported by women all the time, really. Yeah, especially in my skiing career. I mean a lot of it is to do because we're competing against each other. But you know, even with other athletes, I never really felt like they wanted me to do well there was always an underlying well, you know, I hope you do well to an.
Speaker 1: Extent, it's not better than me.
Speaker 3: So it's like, you know, I think it's important to support each other, and you know, I think our success is you know, like my individual success is everyone's success, and we you know, if we help each other, we'll all become better.
Speaker 1: That's so good. But the one thing I did.
Speaker 2: Want to talk about so and you're honest about it, like in the DOCA, So you talk about depression, dealing with that, especially during times of change where you have to walk away from something you've been doing your whole life, this fear of that. I don't know, what have you learned about that? And how do you get yourself out of that? Because you can talk about getting yourself up from an injury and the slopes, but getting yourself up from depression or from whatever emotional you know, toughness.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been dealing with depression since I was a teenager. Really, yeah, I think it's been you know, skiing can be it's like you're surrounded by people, but it's so isolating at the same time, and I didn't really know how to manage it. And you know, it wasn't like now where everyone talks about depression and.
Speaker 1: You know it's like, okay, it's like, no big deal.
Speaker 3: I could ask you that, yeah, casually, but at the time, it was like, you know, never show signs of weakness like and and I definitely felt as though, you know, it was weakness, and so I I how I dealt with it was I journaled, you know, I talked to as if it was you know, like I didn't pretend it was a therapist, but I'm just I need to in some format, you know, talk about my emotions. And you know, I was a teenager, like my parents reading divorced. I was living on my own and I just didn't know how to deal with everything, and being isolated and not having a support system was really hard for me. And it kind of ebbed and flowed throughout my career.
Speaker 1: And you always write you always journal, Well.
Speaker 3: I always have since I was probably nine, but you know, really leaned heavy into it when I needed it most. You still have your nine journals. It's like Mickey Mouse, Yeah, what was she?
Speaker 1: What was what was her thing? Like? What was she going through?
Speaker 3: It was like I didn't have very many friends, and I was also when I was nine. I was traveling to Europe, you know, and I was traveling with kids that were thirteen to twenty one and I'm nine. So I'm like, you know, no one thinks, yes, yeah, that's a dear diary moment. And I would like sign it like love me.
Speaker 1: At least it was love. You were learning on yourself, trying.
Speaker 3: I was trying. I was like, you know, for lack of support, you know, I I that's that was my only outlet. And you know, I think now there are so many more resources for athletes, for you know, kids, for you know, anyone. And I think probably the hardest time for me was when I retired, and you know, some extent, I use skiing as a crutch, you know, as a way to mitigate my emotions, and I put, you know, I kind of locked everything up and use it as fuel to raise And when that outlet is no longer there, you're stuck with all of these internal emotions that need to go someplace. So I started working with doctor Mondo. He works with a lot of athletes, and and he's been awesome. He does this thing called the cheat code, and he's just you know, it definitely made me think of life differently when that's when I said, you know, talking about what do I feel when I ski that you know makes me love it so much? Those are things I focus on with him. And but I think, you know, just being honest with yourself and having a support system of people that you know don't judge you, and you know, whether that's a therapist or your family, and just I think everyone needs an outlet, yes, to find that balance. Yes, And that's an ongoing struggle like it, you know, I think that's just life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was there any one thing that you can tell yourself to pick? Because I always feel like when you're it's like if you just like sit in the darkness of like whatever moment that is. Like for me, I always the thing I never talked about this before. Like for me, the little trick I have is like remind myself that this is temporary.
Speaker 1: You just haven't figured it out yet.
Speaker 2: It's gonna you're gonna figure it out and then you'll get out of it. So this this sucks right here, but it's temporary. Like for me, that's a trick. That's for my own trick for my own self. This is what I don't sit in it because I think to myself, if I didn't have that, how far could that.
Speaker 1: Rabbit hole go?
Speaker 3: You can go?
Speaker 2: And if I think about somebody who maybe doesn't have that, and you think, especially somebody young, Yeah, oh my god. I I never this is this is gonna be so bad forever. You could just go into you know, a thing. So for me, that little thing helps helps a lot. And I just wondered if you had anything, anything that.
Speaker 1: You tell yourself that lifts you up or get you out or no.
Speaker 3: I mean I think like when I really, like especially when I was skiing, you know, I had this thing where I I did a lot of deep breathing and I would close my eyes like I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. Like just sometimes, you know, when I whacked the self belief, I would just have to take take a moment and like internally believe in myself and then externally like let it out, and it helped.
Speaker 1: I can do this. I can do it and believe in yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, even when it's hard. That's pretty good to because if you don't believe in yourself, then who's going.
Speaker 1: To in real life? When are you at your happiest.
Speaker 3: With my dogs on the sofa watching Law and Order and with then and Jerry's that's not specific or anything.
Speaker 1: We really could be.
Speaker 2: Friends because that sounds like the best tim ever. What did your flavor in case? Ben and Jerry's watching and they want to send you a lifetime.
Speaker 3: So trust me, they do send me supplies. They times they have dog ice cream as well. I love that? Is that true?
Speaker 1: Yah? My dog is Luzy and he would love that.
Speaker 3: M yep. I love Ben and Jerry's. We can do it, you know, fantastic whatever we want to do, it's possible. I've been manifesting that for a long time. It hasn't happened yet. So what is your favorite half baked?
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: It's a classic classic in real life. What's the best decision you ever made in your real life?
Speaker 1: Like most recent, best decision?
Speaker 3: Most recent, best decision. I went on a dinner date with my sister and a business partner and he brought along a friend and it was one of the best decisions, like low key, like last minute, it's amazing. You probably have to know more context, but I'm not. Yeah, but it was great.
Speaker 1: Did you meet like the love of your life.
Speaker 3: And that dinner or something. No that this is my space.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm invading your space.
Speaker 3: Sorry, a great decision.
Speaker 1: We don't like that. Okay. In real life, what do you like most about yourself?
Speaker 3: I guess it's what I love ann hate is my relentless determination. It's got me great places. It's also put me in a lot of bad places.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Love hate.
Speaker 2: In real life, what do you hope people learn from your life? Like, what is the takeaway from your life that you would.
Speaker 3: Hope that you can always get back up? No matter what obstacle we face in life, you can always get back up. You can do it. Just put one foot in front of the other slowly and you'll get there.
Speaker 1: That's a great one.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, everybody, you never try a brisk car driving.
Speaker 1: You had to go to put you on God? See that fear? I really want to fear.
Speaker 3: I'm disappointed.
Speaker 2: You're going to be my friend that teaches me not to be afraid of stuff.
Speaker 3: I will do that. You need if you want encouragement, I will encourage you.
Speaker 1: I need that, a friend like that. I need it because I'm like fearless in what I do.
Speaker 2: But I'm not fearless physically you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying, They let's do it. Oh my God, that even hurts, I can give a time.
Speaker 2: M h m hm