Speaker 1: Welcome the Guys We Bought, the Anti Slutshamings podcast. I'm Christina Hutchinson, I'm Karen Fisher and I'm ye so was friends.
Speaker 2: Bring us to.
Speaker 3: Its flooding, your horning and your shame.
Speaker 2: Hey was what?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay? Talk about fucket? What up?
Speaker 1: Fuckers? How you doing? Where you've been? Where a condom? Welcome to another episode of Guys We Fucked. It's the anti slut chaming podcast. I'm Karen Fisher, I'm Christina Hutchinson. Welcome to the show. Make sure have so many shows. Yes, if you're in New York City, February first, which is a Thursday, Karin and I are doing Guys We Fucked Live at the MasterCard Midnight Theater, the first one of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: It's going to be ahoot.
Speaker 1: If you've been to any of these shows or you've watched the live stream, you know we ain't lying.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's so fun.
Speaker 1: And then in Los Angeles February fourteenth, Yes, it's Valentine's Day, Yes, it's you know what you're in luck, doesn't matter if you got a partner or not. You're gonna come to our show at the Comedy store. We're headlining the main room. We're doing the Guys We Fucked show in the main room. It's already half sold out, so make sure you buy your tickets. You can get them anywhere. Our social media bios are a great place at Guys we Fucked without the you and Fucked. I'll cross all platforms. I'm at Christina Hutch, I'm at Philanthropy Gal.
Speaker 3: And I'm at Mike Coscarelli.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also just go to the website. You can google them that you can. There's so many places. It's all. It's very very If you want to email us, the email address rather is sorry about last night's show at gmail dot com. Today's subject line electation lovers journey to Intimacy. Oh, I love that for you to your current and Christina and of course Mike. I subscribe to Luminary just to listen to you guys, and I'm reaching out to you today to share a personal aspect of my story in the hopes that it might resonate with some of your listeners. I hope that by sharing my experiences, I can gain valuable insights and advice from you both. As a twenty seven year old male from Saudi Arabia. I've always been captivated by the unique intimacy and nurturing nature of lactation. This is not where I thought this was going. The act of providing sustenance and care has always been deeply arousing to me, and I've been fortunate enough to experience this with a few women who have been open to this kind of connection. However, I found that it's becoming increasingly difficult to find partners who are comfortable with this form of intimacy. As I've grown older, the longing for this particular connection has left me feeling lonely and yearning for a deeper bond with someone. In my pursuit of intimacy, I've turned to booking sex workers, not for sexual services, but for the opportunity to cuddle and be close to another person. I understand that this might be considered a taboo topic, but I believe that the essence of your podcast lies in addressing the unconventional and sometimes uncomfortable aspects of sex and relationships.
Speaker 3: You are correct, sir.
Speaker 1: As a fan of your show, I'm eager to hear your thoughts and advice on how to approach this topic with potential partners without coming across a strange or fetishistic I found that the subject can be challenging to bring up, and I worry about the impact it may have on my chances of forming a serious relationship. Furthermore, I'm interested in hearing your perspectives on the ethics of booking sex workers for companionship, as I believe it's a complex and controversial virtual issue that warrants open discussion. No, I think it's completely normal to book a sex worker just to hug you one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It makes total sense to me.
Speaker 1: It's your honesty about choice, and that sex worker will probably be amped.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My concern would just be making sure that you can set up a boundary for yourself where you don't then and accidentally fall in love with a sex worker who is literally just doing their job and does not feel the same way about you.
Speaker 3: I think it's like, I think that's the only danger there.
Speaker 1: But as long as you're clear on the boundaries that exist within the reality that you're both living in, then I think it's totally fine. That's why sex workers I think to me, that's like the primary reason why sex workers should be exist and it should be legal because of companionship. Yes, intimacy, emotional intimacy and physical intimacy is so valuable for a person's like mental and physical health.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go out there and say it.
Speaker 1: This journey has led me to question whether I am emotionally prepared for a committed relationship or if I should seek therapy first. Seek therapy to address this need in a healthier way. I appreciate your honesty and openness in discussing various topics, and I would love to hear your perspective on my situation. I want to express my gratitude for your work in fostering a space for open and genuine conversations about.
Speaker 3: Sex and sexuality.
Speaker 1: Your podcast has helped me feel less alone yay, and I'm informed about my own desires and I'm confident that your insights will be valuable to others as well.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your time and consideration. What a lovely great lactation email.
Speaker 1: Also, dude, I you're twenty seven. Props to you. You are a twenty seven year old man who knows himself. That is beautiful, That is sexy, That to me is masculinity, that's humanity. But also like a man who knows himself and knows what he wants and seeks it out in places, you know, like go into a sex worker to kind of experience emotional intimacy. I think that's very wise decision, and good on you for putting your needs first. I think that you will actually be a very good partner to somebody one day. Here here and also in expressing your like the lactation thing, I think if you should definitely talk about it with potential partners, because if it makes them run away, then maybe that's not your potential partner. Although I know some people that have like these more niche sexual desires that they cannot that their partner is not a space for them to act those out that they kind of prefer to act it out with like a sex worker. Obviously it's discussed between both partners before that happens. I don't know if that's necessarily something that fault, like your personal desire falls under this category. But if you're going to have a conversation about it, which I think you should after you've like really kind of get to known the person and you feel like there might be a spark there, talk about the emotional impact that this activity has on you and the satisfaction it brings you first before you talk about what it actually is.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a great way of easing in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when you talk about how your you state, like as you've gotten older, this has been harder to find partners open to this, Like, well, first of all, it made me laugh because you're only twenty seven, So what do you mean as you've gotten older? Like what bracket of time are we talking about here? But anyway, I think that the only issue is if you are leading with the lactation, because then to me, that's where the fetishistic mentality comes in and where women, especially like modern women, will start to question what their role is in your life, Like am iusting like a vessel for lactation? Or am I primarily a person who you writer is interested in? And then secondarily, this is a person who is sexually interested in, you know, and in from an intimacy's perspective, interested in lactation. And that is something I am willing to do with him because of our deep connection and how kind he is and how he gets me on other levels. So like, yeah, I agree with Christina, like you definitely have to have to have a conversation with it. But I also agree that, like I don't think this is something that we're talking about on dates one or two. You know, you you voice concern that you think this is going to stop you from being able to have a long term relation, serious relationships, which to me just put sent off a little alarm that says you're it seems like you might be prioritizing the lactation in a way that feels like you're fiending for it.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's only a.
Speaker 1: Question that you can answer for yourself, Like is this at the forefront of your mind at all times? Is this the main thing you're thinking about on a date, Like when can I get.
Speaker 3: To that lactation? That titty?
Speaker 1: Because then to me, it is something that has to be discussed with a therapist. This should not be overtaking your mind, nor should this be the primary Like if the primary thing you are looking for with a partner, when you're seeking a relationationship with a partner, then you're not it is like a sexual thing, then you're not seeking a relationship, You're seeking a sexual uh interaction, And women can sense that, right, we don't want.
Speaker 3: To be used. It is a kink to be.
Speaker 1: Used as a less being used toy, which sometimes we do, but we'll make that clear, okay, right, Or and then you're gonna go on a different kind of website. You're not gonna go on Hinge to use someone like a fuck toy. You're gonna go on fields or or something, you know, something a little bit less traditional, right, And so those are the things that those are. Some of these questions are questions that you only know the answer to yourself. Like I think, like it's a good thing to bring up in therapy if you're already in therapy. But like, yeah, if this is like as as a main concern in your life as maybe it seems from this email, then yeah, you need to go to therapy to learn how to use this as a part of your relationship and a part of connecting with someone.
Speaker 3: Not your whole life is about lactation.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 1: Your whole life shouldn't be nobody about anything sexual.
Speaker 3: Even a baby's life isn't about lactatia. Yeah, just the first couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Because I think like once you form a bond with someone, especially like for women, like once you form form an emotional bond with us, I think you'd be surprised at how much fucking weird in quote shit we're willing to do uh uh huh. You know that's just a little alone we feel safe, a little winking from me to you, when we feel safe with you, when we feel safe, loved and adored. Yeah, oh yeah, ship you want us to you want us to get us to do something that you don't know if we would do. You can put on that diaper neck like a baby. Well, we're gonna be down, yeah for real.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard a comic talking about that interestingly enough about that he has that kink, And I'm like, yeah, I bet like your wife is.
Speaker 3: Going to do that with you because she loves you.
Speaker 1: She loves you, and she does feel safe and it seems like you have been a good partner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's like, that's why it wasn't weird when you brought it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And when and when you love your partner, it's exciting to do something that turns then I'm on. Even if it doesn't turn you on, right, it doesn't turn you off exactly.
Speaker 3: It's an exploration.
Speaker 1: Speaking of explorations, well, real quick, we can go through. We have other shows in addition to February firm show in New York City in February fourteenth in Los Angeles. If you're listening to this the week it comes out, that means you're luminary subscriber.
Speaker 3: Thank you, love you. And also if you're in New York City.
Speaker 1: This Saturday, January twenty, at the live premiere of my new show Wait What Is Happening at eight thirty PM, we got special guests John Ronson, who wrote The Menosteric Ghots, which dives into government programs where they trained soldiers to walk through walls and kill goats with their eyes. We got an mpath named David that's going to come on and give a live reading to myself and another audience member we have. And then we have Jay Christopher King as our third guest for the show, who fucking runs a thing called the Experience or Group, and it's a place where anybody who's experienced psychic phenomena and interaction with an alien or a UAP, an identified aero fun or anything that's kind of like otherworldly, this is a place for you to talk about it and be okay and feel kind of safe, and no one's gonna think you're fucking weird, which is basically why I created the show. Wait, well, because I've not had a lot many of these experiences. I want them, but I also want to hear about yours. So Jay is going to tell us about the three of the most exciting things that people have disclosed in this group.
Speaker 3: My point is, come to the show.
Speaker 1: It's going to be so fun and I'm very excited and it's going to be a good time. And then on Thursday, January twenty fifth, also for you luminary subscribers, because you're the only ones who are going to be hearing us in time, I am doing a big funny for Fido charity event with Justin Silver at the Cutting Room in New York City.
Speaker 3: It's a big show.
Speaker 1: The tickets are a bit expensive, but that's all charity shows, so totally understand if you can't afford it.
Speaker 3: But for those of you who can, I think it'll be well worth your money.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent of the profits go to helping rescue dogs, especially these more different breeds like pitbulls. Difficult society, not difficult emotionally and uh and it's going to be me Colin Quinn, Bobby Kelly, Yamanica Saunders, Caitlin cook Sami Sadika, and Justin Silver on this show. And it's gonna be a great night. And we're going to bring our rescue dogs, Alfred to be there. Justin's dog, Brutus is going to be there, who's delight. So it's going to be a really, really, really fun night. And if you again, if you have the money, and I understand it's not an accessible ticket price for everyone, but if you have the money, it is a good place to have a fun night and have your money go towards something.
Speaker 3: Is it a right? Is your ticket price right off? Seventy five percent of your ticket price right off? There you go. I don't have to pay taxes on it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And then of course we want to go in an order, I guess, so you can go that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: February ninth and tenth, I'm headlining Bananas in New Jersey, right across the river from New York City, and then yours is and then February twenty ninth through March second, I'm going to be in washing To d C at the DC Comedy Loft with Chloe L. Branch That those tickets have been on cl for a while so those are kind of going quickly, and if you want to get a ticket, I would you know, now's the time to really pull the trigger on that. And March twenty seconds through the twenty third, I'm going to be headlining the Blue Room in Springfield, Missouri.
Speaker 3: Never been heard that's a great club.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard it's a great club too, by a couple of other comics. I don't know if we ever been in Missouri. I ever been there. Yeah, we've been to Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: Oh right, that is a Missouri Show me your coastal leaders, Well show me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we went to I mean, I've been there at Lee one time.
Speaker 1: I might have been by myself, but I've definitely I've been there at least twice.
Speaker 3: I fuck once, was definitely with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because yeah, I remember Saint Louis in the arch.
Speaker 3: Somebody farted on the ride up. Yes, awful. I'll never forget that smell. Fuck you, sir. It was really bad. But I love tiny towns. I just love them.
Speaker 1: When I did Utah with the fund, where was I in Utah? I flew into Salt Lake, but I went to some other by the provost schools. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it was awesome. I love a small town. They're so fascinating and honestly, you guys deserve comedy more and it's more fun to do comedy for you guys, So please come out.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: There's an article kind of in the spirit of helping people and giving them knowledge and a heads up before they find themselves in terrible situations.
Speaker 3: I came across this article that uh peaked my curiosities.
Speaker 1: It's written by this private uh oh, it's about hiring a private investigator. But the article is called is my Partner Living a Double Life? Five Warning signs. I just want to share these with you guys, just in case.
Speaker 3: Wait to see the emails. What does living a double life mean?
Speaker 1: If someone's living a double life, it means they are leading two very distinct lives and keeping one hitten from the other. The secret life may include an extramarital affair, a second spouse or family, an addiction, shopping, stealing, or gambling, sometimes resulting in debt or legal trouble.
Speaker 3: Well, I know a lot of people that I've had.
Speaker 1: Partners like that, illegal activities such as drug dealings, a secret job i e.
Speaker 3: Working as an escort.
Speaker 1: And then these are the fut How can you tell if someone lives a double life?
Speaker 3: Well, here are some five signs, boys and girls and nays and them. Let me know if you're.
Speaker 1: In the market for some matrimonial surveillance. Often they're away from home. If your partner spends a long day away from home. This is because this can be caused for suspicion. For example, they can take regular weekends away for work or family reasons and never invite you along too. They have unusual boundaries refusing Oh, it's healthy to have boundaries in relationships, but does your partner set limits that seem extreme or unreasonable? For example, refusing to add you on social media. That always struck me as weird because I still know people that are in relationships that they don't follow each other. But it's not They don't live a career where they have to be on social media, so it's not like a separate thing, right, And I'm like, that's so weird.
Speaker 3: It's weird. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Not allowing you to meet their family, friends, or college that's a big one. Being unwilling to discuss certain topics such as their past or finances. Number three, their stories don't add up. People living a double life. We've complex webs of flies and sometimes forget that they've what they've said to whom they share many details about their past that differ from what they've told you previously. Maybe they've changed their story about where they were last week, or perhaps their spending habits don't match the job and salary they claim to have for They're extremely protective of their devices, that's very true. Insist on privacy when using their phone or computer. They turn off the screen when you enter the room.
Speaker 3: I've had that happen.
Speaker 1: Then you know, that's all I'm thinking about all day and night and week and the rest of our relationship. Regularly delete their emails, text messages in browsing history, and I've also had that happen. Refuse to let you they weren't living with a double life, they were poloised cheating, which I guess is double life come according into this.
Speaker 3: Refuse to let you use their phone for any reason.
Speaker 1: I always use that as a test when I start dating somebody, I'm like, hey, can I see your phone?
Speaker 3: To put on this song real quick, just to see if they I'm not gonna look, but just to see if they freak out. That's weird.
Speaker 1: I like fucking hate when people use my phone. But I'm not I'm not hiding anything. I just hate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, Like like if we're both.
Speaker 1: Driving and I want to change the song, because I had one time I was in the car. Who was I dating at the time, somebody somebody older. We were in the car, he was driving. I remember, fuck who was it? And I wanted to change the song and I just went up and he goes, I'll change it, and I was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Tod was this like in recent years?
Speaker 1: And this was like four years ago, maybe like in between Steven and Colin. But it made me go I didn't It wasn't even invested in this person that much. So I remember going, I don't want to date you anymore, Like this is that's good enough for me?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't even know what you're doing, but I'm fine, right? And then five They avoid simple questions.
Speaker 1: Often, someone living a double life will avoid basic questions such as a.
Speaker 3: Kind of allergies, is it I here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Such as where they've been or what they've been doing, which you know, uh.
Speaker 1: Use all of these points with a great assault because it's certain situations I'd be like, don't fucking ask me where I was, and I was not leading a double life. They may give you a vague answers, change the subject, or may make you feel guilty for asking. That's the one that I agree with. If they make you feel guilty for asking. M I don't know unless you're truly you know, unless you're just fucking nagging bitch. Yeah, don't be a nagging cunt. Don't be a fucking that's any gender.
Speaker 3: Any gender could be a nagging bitch.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, guys be fucked. Don't be a nagging bitch, all right? And that brings us to another article that we wanted to share on the show today.
Speaker 3: This has to do with our guest.
Speaker 1: Our guest uh wrote a book about being single at Heart, and we're going to get into that in a second. But in her book, which is right here, bay Single at Heart, she references this Washington Post article that said, called normal marital hatred is real. Here's what to do about it that came out in September of twenty twenty two by Tara Parker Pope.
Speaker 3: And so I was like, oh, I bad.
Speaker 1: I can pull up this article today and share it with you guys, Because the author of Single at Heart was just pointing out how strange she thought it was to write an article about marriage in which one of the tips was that it's okay to hate your spouse.
Speaker 3: So she said, I think I thought that was a little weird. Yes, that is fucking weird.
Speaker 1: So anyway, it says normal marital hatred is real. Here's what to do about it. No relationship is perfect. Try to start thinking of yours as an ecosystem that you share with someone else, or don't get married. Do you know what normal marital hatred is? If you've been married or in a long term relationship, then you probably do.
Speaker 3: No, I've been You didn't experience this with Stephen at the end. That's why dumped them. Yes, I was like, wait, I hate you so we broke up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been talking about this around the country for decades, said Terrence Real, a best selling author and family therapist who offers couples workshops. Not one person has ever come backstage and said, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: Everybody knows what it is marriage name damn.
Speaker 1: Even so, the idea that hating your romantic partner is normal may come as a bit of a shock to those who have idealized romantic relationships. Yeah, I feel this most times in a relationship, and that's when I also end it. Yeah, and I know that, like seemingly, society is telling us that for a relationship to go to the distance, you need to like.
Speaker 3: Get work for that's that part. Yeah you don't, but I can't, and nor should you.
Speaker 1: I hate that you shouldn't work, and I don't want to be around them that ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I do know. Oh it's called how I know I need to break it off? Article should be called when just like.
Speaker 1: The sound of their before hitting the plate, makes you want to end their life totally. I hope this car ride you're about to go on as your last.
Speaker 3: What I didn't say that right?
Speaker 1: One conversation with real and you will be cured of any notion that real life looks like a rom com.
Speaker 3: No one acknowledges the single.
Speaker 1: No one acknowledges the underbelly of relationships, the real author of us getting past you and me to build a more loving relationship. Nobody acknowledges the darkness. Damn girls, this is rough.
Speaker 3: Relationship.
Speaker 1: Experts have tried for years to unlock the mystery of how couples resolve conflict and learn to stay together. John Gottman, a University of Washington marriage researcher, pioneered the study of relationships by recording couples during conflict and monitoring positive and negative words, facial expressions, and body language. He calculated that strong relationships have a five to one rate ratio of positive to negative interactions. Another researcher, retired University of Virginia professor Mavis Heatherington, who studied fourteen hundred heterosexual couples over three decades and found a type of marriage most prone to divorce. She called it the pursuer distancer marriage, in which one person typically presses to solve problems, but the other dismisses the concerns. Reel said he thinks the real problem is that many couples, if I was writing about someone with the last name Real, I would have tried to avoid using real correct very more often just you know, hey, who am I? But just point that out there? You know, you're right, like you could have easily said real. The main problem is the underlying problem is anyway, whatever is that many couples turn conflict into a power struggle, and nobody wins in normal circumstances. If you're unhappy with me, that is not the time for me to talk to you about how unhappy I am with you.
Speaker 3: He said, everybody that's wrong good to me. It's so hard not you bring that up.
Speaker 1: It's so hard not to because when someone brings up something wrong with you, you.
Speaker 3: Go, I've been sitting on this ship for years. I've just been sitting. You're tolerating your behavior.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that I could simply present it to you as a laundry list. The moment I felt a tinge of unhappiness.
Speaker 3: Oh love anyway.
Speaker 1: So here's what you should know about normal marital hatred and what you can do about it.
Speaker 3: In bold, it's okay to hate your partner.
Speaker 1: There are going to be moments when you look at your partner and at that moment there is a part of you that just hates their guts. Real said, you're trapped with this horrible human being? How did you wind up here?
Speaker 2: Fuck?
Speaker 3: What I want to say is welcome to marriage, Welcome to long term relationships? Are where was this published? The Washington Post? Yeah, but don't despair he said, The question is now, what divorce? How do I deal with it? Just get divorced, dude.
Speaker 1: Then, in bold again, stop idealizing relationships and get divorced. Real notes that we wrongly celebrate an idealized version of commitment, like that cute couple we see at a party who seem to have a perfect relationship.
Speaker 3: Never seen that.
Speaker 1: Where they're either toxically all over each other or they're talking to other people.
Speaker 3: What is this a party you saw on TV?
Speaker 4: Like what?
Speaker 1: I've never been to a real party where I saw this just once at a cocktail party. I wish someone would say, there's Harry and Shirley. For the first twenty years they fought like cats and dogs. He actually left her for a year and took up with another woman. Well, I mean at comics parties, this happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is reality.
Speaker 1: Then they managed to work on it and settle down, and now they're pretty okay?
Speaker 3: Are they adorable? That sounds like the worst description.
Speaker 1: And if I knew all the backstory for Harry and surely I would never respect a word out of either of those fuck losers mouths, you know, I would go, oh wow, they both love getting abused. Yeah, and now in bold, it says normal marriages are are long term partnerships or long term partnerships are not happy all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: After four decades of counseling couples, Real has seen that all relationships follow a consistent cycle harmony and closeness, disruption and repair, and a return to closeness. This pattern of closeness, disruption, and returning to closeness can play out at the micro level twenty times in the course of one dinner conversation.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that sounds exhausting. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It can also play out over the macro level over decades, he said, Your relations self esteem, Yeah, this is this is for people with low self esteem.
Speaker 3: This is for people who they're trying to fill the hole in their heart with another person.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's why they hate their spouse, like just seemingly these people can't think outside the box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your relationships is an ecosystem. Real said.
Speaker 1: Traditional therapy, which can teach us to assert ourselves, set the record straight, set boundaries, and pushback, can actually add.
Speaker 3: To this dysfunction of marriages. Setting boundaries, Yeah, because then you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Be distant from me, Christian and I love you, come close so I can hit you. He knows people don't always like to hear it. But it's healthier to start thinking of your relationship as an ecosystem where any disruption hurts you just as much or worse than it affects your partner worse.
Speaker 3: That's codependent. I mean, that's co dependent. I understand this.
Speaker 1: Like, for instance, like if someone like, because I date a lot of people in the public eye, so like if someone in the is hurting my partner in the public eye, like, yeah, I'll say even if I don't even if I agree with the trolls, why you know, I will always have my partners back. But and many times I do feel like maybe that, yeah, that watching someone get hurt in that way can hurt me more than perhaps it even hurts them. Yeah, I understand that, like and the protectiveness, but not like you know, like if they lose their.
Speaker 3: Job, I mean, you're probably gonna hurt that much. Yeah, I'm you. Yeah, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 1: I got that paper to then I would say, I mean, were you acting at work the way you act at home, because then put maybe more of your all into it you.
Speaker 3: Know, or did you get laid off? Yeah, it's all circumstantial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stop thinking like to individuals and start thinking ecologically. See, this is where you're This is where you always lose me with relationships society. Uh, your relationship is your biosphere. You're not above it, You're in it. You breathe it. Oh my god, that sounds terrible. I've actually lost oxygen. I need the mask to drop.
Speaker 3: It's so important for you.
Speaker 1: If you guys have different opinions, it's so important to express them and then that you can figure out like how do you which one?
Speaker 3: Like do we compromise or do we not? Like it's right.
Speaker 1: Wow, And we get into this in the interview with our guest today. But this biosphere that we're talking about, like, you know, we were talking about the concept of unmarried and childless people women being so often called selfish by society. But to me, if you are describing your home life as a biosphere, what is that happy fucking selfish than that Your family is your biosphere. I mean that is like you're you're existing completely on your own and like the rest of society doesn't matter because you found your tribe. Oh you're saying, I see what you're saying. Once you realize that it's in your self interest to help your partner feel better, it's easier to de escalate conflict. I mean, yeah, that's what I'm always doing. I go, oh, I guess I got to make sure he feels good to my day.
Speaker 3: Isn't Merlin.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Every woman's been there, every heterosexual woman's been there. We all know what this is like. Save the constructive conversation for later. It's my old last relationship when you're both open to listening instead of.
Speaker 6: In the middle of it.
Speaker 3: I already don't like him. My god, make sure he's lost cranky yep, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: This is not the time to say, well, let me tell you about all my issues with you. Everybody gets that wrong, Reel said, put objective reality aside.
Speaker 3: Seems like we're putting all reality aside this article.
Speaker 1: If you want to get married, put all reality aside. Okay, Yeah, Enter into your partner's subject subjective experience with compassion and curiosity. Say I'm sorry you feel that. Is there anything I could say or do that would help you feel better?
Speaker 3: So now I got to tell you how to make me feel better. It's so annoying. I just want you to do something that's helpful. Boy boy boy, I hate if my partner asked me that. Yeah, real said.
Speaker 1: It can be a tough pill to swallow, especially when you think your partner is in the wrong, but helping your partner get to an emotionally better place is the best way to protect the ecosystem.
Speaker 3: See, yeah, a fundamental level.
Speaker 1: Because I've had so many partners who are are in a bad mood because they are fucking in another realm and not in the cool spiritual way, in a way where they think they are much like more talented than they are, that they are much harder worker than they are. And listen, I'm not saying my approach where I tell them, where I ask them questions like what makes you think you deserve that what the amount of work you've done is a good way.
Speaker 3: I might want to be a little more gentile.
Speaker 1: I don't think that was good, But I certainly don't think like contributing to their fantastical view of themselves and the world in which they're not really participating is helpful. Like, yeah, that's called enabling them your less reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's like how like so many people see that as a good wife, one who just like cause plays the world that you have created for yourself where you're really talented, oh god, like or you're fucking killing it, or you've put in, you know, twenty years of work towards stand up comedy or whatever you're pursuing. Yeah, and when you haven't, which is also a slap in the face to me who has is in the same industry. You know what I'm thinking of, I'm thinking of a lot of men that I've know all throughout my child like just men, like family friend men and that whole happy I've always heard the phrase happy wife, happy life, and I always knew that was fucked up.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, because the.
Speaker 1: Guys that eyewitness personally say that were miserable and their wives, some of their wives were just just they were so miserable and they like got off on making their husband miserable or something about that, and like all the poor husband was just going on trying to make sure the wife was okay so that he could have a kind of good.
Speaker 3: Time, which in reality was probably a terrible time.
Speaker 1: He would have been way happier single, And it's like, yeah, we got to undo these tropes well. And also when it's happy wife, Happy Life, that's me saying you're just doing anything to appease your way you none of your yeah, none of your real feelings or needs are being expressed in their relationship. I also always had a problem with happy wife, Happy Life. I remember so bad growing up. My neighbor across the street kind of said that. I don't think he said it to me. I think again, I heard the adults talking, because I always used to be.
Speaker 3: Like, what's going on up there? Yes, way more interesting.
Speaker 1: And and I just remember thinking to myself as like, I don't know a nine year old, is this.
Speaker 3: What's going on in that house for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: My dad certainly never said anything like that, nor did my mom. Real cautions that this advice is helpful for managing the normal arguments and disruptions that occur in every relationship is that it does not apply to abusive situations well thank god, or relationships in which there is a power imbalance, major psychiatric disorder. Okay, well, I think I've had that, addiction or another issue that may require putting your own safety first and seeking professional help learn how to repair real said successful couples learn how to talk to each other during and after conflict. Instead of saying, don't talk to me like that, real suggests something closer to I want to hear what you have to say, So could you speak to me differently so I can hear it? Can you imagine trying but can you imagine trying to screen that I hear you have to say? But if you could speak to me a little bit different of a tone so I could process.
Speaker 3: It and not get triggered.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you very much. Yeah, sometimes it's just word economy. Don't talk to me like that is so much better. Yeah, I've said that before. I said the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said, don't tell me what to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I want to rage out on this car, yeah, let me be an idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah, I got it. I mean I guess I guess you could.
Speaker 1: Like I I've definitely said to someone like when they're like screaming or having like some kind of a meltdown, I've been like I've said, like, I'm on your side. Oh that's nice. That's a nice thing to say, because I don't melt them honestly. Pretty quick, like this was happening to me, like not that long ago, Like someone call and they were like having like just like a big and I was just like like I was like, you call me because I'm on your side, Like I'm on your side.
Speaker 3: And that's a reminder, like that's why you called me. You know that, right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I want both partners like in life, you know, I'm on your I'm on your side in life. That doesn't mean just because someone's on your side in life doesn't mean that they're going to agree with every ridiculous choice that you make or thing that you do. And like, I mean, if that's kind of love that you want, and I mean that's depends, don't come to Corona. I think we all learned that over the past ten years.
Speaker 3: I want both partners.
Speaker 2: Where we got everything and everything.
Speaker 3: You want here at the Guys we market. He a little bit of this, a little bit.
Speaker 1: I want both partners to be fully voiced, but you have to do it skillfully, he said. People have to learn to speak up for themselves and be loving at the same time.
Speaker 3: Nobody knows how to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it says discover real intimacy, real set like with all this talking, I just don't know how they're still fucking.
Speaker 3: And that's like the main thing I'm grappling with in this.
Speaker 1: I just don't know, Like, oh, Okaytie, I have time to fuck, not even time.
Speaker 3: How do you have the want to?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're mostly depleted I imagine by all these conversations, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh man, sometimes you just gotta shut up and fuck.
Speaker 1: Real said, we all long for a perfect relationship, but real intimacy actually happens when it's like she went out of her.
Speaker 3: She's the word real. I'm just go woman of this. Yeah, she went out of.
Speaker 1: Her way to use real, and like I don't know media, like there's no accent mark because I'm like, maybe the last thing is like real, but there's no accent market. Just I don't see any other way that you can pronounce it other than real anyway. So Real said, we all long for a perfect relationship, but real intimacy actually happens when we learn to accept the imperfections of our partner. That's the character of couplehood, he said. You're clear about your partner's imperfections, and you feel the pain and frustration of it, but you choose to lose Sorry, that was Freudian. You choose to divorce them, I mean, Mary.
Speaker 3: But you choose to lose them anyway.
Speaker 1: But the line in the article says, but you choose to love them anyway.
Speaker 3: That's matua love, that's mature love. Guys. Yeah, yeah, interesting. You know some of the parts I don't disagree with, right then, No, I okay, So I totally agree with that.
Speaker 1: You're clear on your partner's imperfections and you feel the pain and frustration of it, but you choose to love them anyway. I agree with that. It's not I wouldn't even have put the anyway in there. That anyway is kind of cunty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know. Yeah, and and not you know, love them any like? You love them.
Speaker 1: Despite all those So I said earlier with my last relationship, like I left because I hated him.
Speaker 3: I did, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I do want to be clear, because I do want to be more considerate with my words.
Speaker 3: I never hated them, But.
Speaker 1: I when I, when I like, did all the things, like most of the things that this author is talking about in the article, I found myself having to do those things, and I was like, this isn't the relationship I want at all.
Speaker 3: This person isn't good for me. This is we're not a matching, We're not compatible.
Speaker 1: We're not a matching where we were a match for a long time and now we're not a match and that's okay.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but I I I do agree.
Speaker 1: Like I'm trying to think about imperfect like you're accepting your partners imperfections and like loving them despite of it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what is an imperfection that's so bad like that you can't.
Speaker 1: Well? I mean, but also it's in the work in the course of our lifetime. We're not going to fix all the imperfections that we have.
Speaker 3: No, it's true, and I got it. Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Think some imperfections in our partners are ones that bother us as the partner more than they bother the person themselves. And it's I think it's it's I mean, it's really loving to try and work on something about yourself that like really doesn't bother you at all and bother someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if someone if someone expressed that too.
Speaker 1: I feel like if it was like the way I did something, even if it was not sexual, I'd be like, all right, if that bugs you, I don't really care about it, like i'dly see it, but like, yeah, I think there is a I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is a really good conversation that we have. I'm excited for. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the author is great And yeah, I just thought this was because I could tell that the woman that we interviewed today from how she wrote about this article, this article really really bothered her. Yeah, and I can see I can see why, you know, and you're about to see why when you your help gloriously joyful as person is. Okay, So, she has a PhD from Harvard University. She's the author of Single at Heart, The Power of Freedom and heartfeeling Joy of Single Life. Her ted talk What No One Ever Told You About People who Are Single has been viewed almost two million times, and The Atlantic calls this woman America's foremost thinker and writer on the single experience.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to guys. We fucked doctor Bella de pollo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, we are here with doctor Bella de' pallo.
Speaker 1: You are the author of Single at Heart, The Power Freedom and heart filling Joy of Single Life, and I must say you're the happiest person i've talked to in about a year, Like, yeah, we've only talked for about one minute.
Speaker 3: So, yes, you are radiating joy.
Speaker 7: Yes, thank you. I do love being single. It makes me very happy. Yeah, we can tell this is incredible.
Speaker 3: You're going to change a lot of lives with this interview, Bella.
Speaker 2: I hope, so, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess let's start like, when did you first learn that you were a person who is single at heart?
Speaker 3: How did you have that realization? No, for the.
Speaker 2: Longest time, I thought that maybe things would change, So I always liked being single. I never wanted to, you know, be married. I never looked longingly at other people who were coupled, but it seemed like so much a part of our expectations that everybody eventually wants to get married or get coupled at least, So for a long time, I just thought, well, being married is like getting bitten by a bunk, and I haven't gotten bitten yet. And I don't know when I realized that, no, that's never gonna happen. I'm always gonna love being single. I think it was probably sometime in my thirties. It wasn't like one a moment, but it was a gradual realization and what I didn't know for sure this is who I am. It was wonderful because then I got to fully invest in my in my single life. You know, I wasn't thinking, well, you know, maybe some guy will come along and then I want to live with someone, with anyone. I love living alone. It's such a joy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like no.
Speaker 1: And when you had this realization that was not you know, as you said, one aha moment, but kind of it happened in your thirties. Was it like realizing you're gay and like, did you have to come out to your family?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I never did, And in fact, you know, the idea of being single at heart is something that I came up with a few decades ago. So when I was first coming to realize that single is who I really am, I didn't know there was such a thing as being single and happy and wanting to stay single. So there was no coming out in the sense that there wasn't a category, a known category that I fit into. But I think I at least I hoped that people realized who I was, because I never you know, swooned about some cute guy I saw or you know, said that I felt badly because I didn't have anyone, which is so so I think that it should have been evident to the people around me that I wasn't interested in this dating game.
Speaker 1: And now and like leading up to this, had you what was the longest romantic relationship that you had been a part of.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, probably months, definitely not years. Interesting and yeah, and you know it was fine. I have no dating chre stories. When I think back to the guys I dated, and there weren't that many. We think about them fondly. But what was really my most positiveness pay from those times is how I felt when the relationship ended.
Speaker 3: You felt so good, right, I mean I even go.
Speaker 2: Back to my single life. That's what I loved, what I felt comfortable, And yeah, yeah I was.
Speaker 1: There was an article that I was reading from Time magazine was called nine ways being single can improve your life, and one of one of the points was that your mind is uncluttered, and it called being in a relationship mentally expensive.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't agree more with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you had to, even if you lovingly every time, Like a small example is I want to eat dinner, I live with my partner, I got to ask what he asked, like, what are we doing for dinner?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You break that, you break up and then you just eat dinner whenever you want.
Speaker 3: You're like, right, it's like there's day off. You're like, oh, we could do whatever we watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's about really big things too. So for example, in the year two thousand, I had a possibility of a sabbath go out here in California. I was at the University of Virginia in Charlotte of Virginia at the time, and so it was supposed to be for one year, but I just loved it out there, and so I just stayed. So I went from one coast to the other. I had a tenured job which I gave up. I had a whole you know, friends and family that I had built up this circle there, and I just said, this is what I love. And there was no negotiating with a partner or feeling guilty about wanting to do something if a partner didn't want to do it. And it was like the ultimate freedom to pursue my best life, my most meaningful and fulfilling life, which is out here in sunny California, which I absolutely loved.
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also think that speaks to something you have, you know, have talked about over the years, like where you have more room to grow mentally, like you have that, and I even feel that, so like you know, being you know, I've had boyfriends and stuff for longer periods of time, but I've never been married. And I'm thirty eight now, and I sit and think a lot about how had I gotten married to that boyfriend ten years ago or five years ago, Like, I just don't think I would have experienced the growth, realization, the aha moments that I have in the past five ten years.
Speaker 3: And so my question is, like, do you think those.
Speaker 1: Things can't happen, They just are happening at a way slower pace.
Speaker 3: How much slower is that pace in your opinion, pace of.
Speaker 1: The of the change, like of the developments that you go through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sure.
Speaker 2: I mean people who are coupled are married can experience personal growth, but I think those single people are especially likely to do so, especially if they're single at heart and they embrace their single lives and they invest in them because they have, you know, constrained by opportunities and resources and so forth. Single people have more freedom than a couple people do, and so they get to create a life that is most authentic, most consistent with who they really are. And that is an opportunity for personal girls. And so is something else that defies all our stereotypes of what it means to be single. So people use the word alone. There's a synonym for single, like, oh, poor things, she's alone. Well, in fact, national surveys show that single people, on average are more connected to more different people. And other studies that follow people over the course of their lives as they go from being single to a couple too, moving in together, to getting married. Well, as those couples move in together or get married, they become more insular. So they see their friends, but they contact their parents less often. It's like they have their own little world. So who's really low?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very good points. Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: And you talk a lot about the story that we've been sold, and it's mostly women. Women have been sold the story that marriage will buia us happiness. I think that a married man, I would guess that a married man, actually a married straight man, I should specify, is happier married because they have somebody to listen to all their shit.
Speaker 3: Whoops, something fell. That was probably a man that was realizing I was right, but like with women.
Speaker 1: And so I think of when I was watching her Ted Talk and I was just thinking about how I grew up obsessed with Disney movies nineties. Disney movies always focused on the princess who was trying to figure out the thing with the prince and really sold this narrative from a young age with our pop culture that we're taking in and then you know when we're playing pretend as a little girl with the babies and getting married and all this stuff.
Speaker 3: So how you undo that conditioning for yourself?
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like you had to do that for you because you were just We unfortunately live in a society where it's very brave to be yourself, especially when yourself is the green.
Speaker 3: But what would you say.
Speaker 1: To people that are kind of scared but they know in their hearts that maybe single is definitely a way better life choice for them, but they're scared because they're too wrapped up in what everybody else thinks.
Speaker 2: I find your people. So in twenty fifteen, I started this online Facebook group called the Community of Single People, and it's mostly for single people who like being single. So we talk about everything except what other people think singles are obsessed with, but just dating or trying to find a way to unsingle yourself, we don't talk about any of that, but we talk about, you know, the joys and the challenges and our achievements and post pictures of where we've been and it's and so I finding other people who see the world the way you do is important. And of course I would be remiss in my love of my own book Single Heart if I didn't say read that, because I think if you read Single Heart, the power, freedom and heart feeling joy of single life, you will get a lot of reassurance. And this is this is really important that people understand what I did not understand when I was young, that there is a thing called being happily single, wanting to stay single, and even more than that, being happy because you are single and not in spite of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right, that's a very important point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's like a big part of me and kind of probably what helped me find you or what serendipitous thing has happened that I found you online, is because like there is a big part of me that thinks I am single at heart.
Speaker 3: But the main problem for me.
Speaker 1: Bella, is I love sex and I like to have a lot of sex. So, quite honestly, like, how have you tackled that? Or what is your relationship with sex? And how has that?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how have you gotten throughout your life without I'm feeling like a constantly challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So let me tell you about some of the single hard people I interviewed and how they how they get sex and their life. So Alyssa, who's twenty seven, told me she'd love sex, she loves emotional closeness, but she doesn't want to what we call ride the relationship escalator or you keep going up. You know. You know now we're dating. Now we're dating steadily if people even use that term anymore. Now we're moving in together, we're merging our finances. She doesn't want to do that. She lets her partners know right from the beginning. Evan who's forty, is the same way. He's gay and he likes going on dates. He likes meeting new people, but he tells them right from the beginning, you know this is he's not looking for along a committed long term relationship. Jessica, who's thirty eight, calls herself sexually open minded, and she likes to engage in sexual practices that other people might look down on, and she feels very happy to be single because she can pursue what she likes without the judgment of a partner who might not like that. Another person, Andrea called me that she's twenty nine, that she actually loves. When she was in college, she liked a hookup thing because it allowed her to compartmentalize. So she said she would spend time with guys and they might even have very intimate conversations, but then it was over and she got to go back to the other parts of her life that she loved, like her classes and her interests in her friends. And so I think in lots of ways it's actually it works out well.
Speaker 3: It depends on your personal preference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course people some people just aren't interested, so that's another thing too. And if you're not interested, it's much easier to be single because you don't have anyone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being like a very sexual person is exhausting, is time consuming, and.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of work to like constantly be kind of taking your care of Vera in that way also too, I'm thinking of the people that I know in long term relationships or marriage that are the happiest, And it's the marriages or relationships that have the most autonomy in them, where they have separate bedrooms, separate home, separate thing where they live on other Like I know one couple who's married. They live on opposite coasts and they see each other for like six months out of the year, and I'm like, that's weird.
Speaker 3: And then when you see each other, you're so.
Speaker 1: Excited, But then the rest of the year you have you're kind of like single. So it's like interesting and the happiest relationships that I know, there's some level of in the relationship that there makes them more autonomous than the typical Mary couple.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know, I've had people who are coupled even married tell them insist that they're single at heart, and I have a little skeptical at first. Well, I did believe there would be people who are single at heart and married and stay married because they want to honor their wiles, but they really, you know, they would have been better off single. But other people who were coupled or even Mary told me, no, I am single at heart. And when I looked more closely at their lives, it was just like what you described. They have a lot of they a lot of independence. They're not these enmessed couples. Instead, they have their own space physically, they have their own emotional space. They give each other freedom to, you know, spend time with their friends separately from their partners. So they really are kind of you know, they persuaded me. I mean, they don't score as high in the Single at Heart Quiz as people who are single, but they're yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: What are what are some questions from the Single at Heart Quiz?
Speaker 1: Could you or because my next question is going to be like, how do you how do you figure out if you are truly single at heart?
Speaker 3: And that's not just a story you're telling yourself. You're like, no, guys, I don't know that, sure, right.
Speaker 2: Right? I think so this is actually one of the most important ones. And it's like, when you think about spending time alone, what thought comes to mind first? Is it, ah, sweet solitude or oh no, I might be lonely? Well, the single at Heart Almost every single one of them says sweet solitude and if you are a person who loves your solitude, you know that alone doesn't mean that you're single at heart. But it's a good it's a good first step. That's like a superpower because if you can be by yourself and find that time relaxing or rejuvenating or good for your mental health or your or your thoughts of your creativity or your spirituality, wow, you are largely protected from feeling lonely. So it's just the opposite of what people think it's like for people who are single. So if you are single at heart, you're not going to be the stereotypical lonely person. And as you get older, you're not gonna be the caricature of a single person who's isolated and lonely. I mean, I'm seventy years old now, I'm not isolated and lonely at all.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're both single at Hardcren. Yeah, was that that when the pandemic happened? And I don't think you didn't have a boyfriend either, did you?
Speaker 3: I was single.
Speaker 1: I was seeing a guy a little bit in the beginning, but we broke up quickly and he was like living in Denver.
Speaker 3: Right, Bella. It was blissful.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Every day, I was so excited to wake up and go, what am I I'm gonna do a craft today? Yeah, I'll got worry by I'll got worry about no man being like you're doing a craft for a five year old?
Speaker 3: Fuck you, Yes, I am.
Speaker 1: And I like I have like a zany, wacky, like childlike kind of sense of wonderment and just to not have anybody comment on how you do things, which is the no matter how perfect your partner is, they're gonna give some type of commentary, even if.
Speaker 3: It's a look.
Speaker 1: To not have that is so beautiful and important, right Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean even yesterday, like I ate for dinner.
Speaker 1: I chose to ate to eat a bag of like cheese mixed mun cheese, which is when they put Doritos and cheesy son chips and pretzels in a bag, and I eat the whole thing bal and it was like twelve hundred calories and that was my dinner. And I was like, I was just thinking of like the nasty judgment that a boyfriend would have had if I was doing that in front of me, and all of me and my dog did it together. And I gave him some of the chips and we had a night and I feel, you know what, I feel fantastic. My stomach doesn't hurt at all.
Speaker 2: I felt great, good for real. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, it is such a joy. It's such a joy realizing too.
Speaker 1: We had a discussion on the podcast a couple months ago about unconditional love, and I think that romantic love is perhaps the most conditional love that there is, and that is not good for your soul to experience conditional love.
Speaker 3: Like so, if you're married from age nineteen to.
Speaker 1: Eighty, and that's especially I'm imagining if you're married from nineteen eighty you probably were born in a decade where that happened often. But like, my God, to have like that much, that much love in your life, that is that. Yeah, it is conditional, it's got to be not me that.
Speaker 2: But it's also in a way restricting because you feel less free to develop intimacy in your other relationships. And I don't mean necessarily sexual intimacy, but you know, yeah, if you wanted to spend a lot of time with a particular friend or several friends or dear relatives, now there's the risk that you're partner would feel like that time belonged to them.
Speaker 1: The possessiveness of partnership is yeavery interesting. Well, that's an interesting point because the reason I broke up with my last boyfriend was because we started dating a couple months after my father had passed away, and he was significantly younger than me, so that also played into it.
Speaker 3: But he just like I could tell that, like.
Speaker 1: I wasn't being a girlfriend enough to him and it was hurting him and I but I honestly just didn't have the capacity to deal with that on top of the grief of losing my father, because it's like I love that guy, the boyfriend, very much, but no offense, like I love my dad more obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I mean for things like that in your life, like you know, the sadder milestones, how how have you how how has how has that been without a partner? And how did your friends or your other people in your life help you through things like that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I can tell you about when my father died. I was in Virginia. He and my mother were in Pennsylvania, so hundreds of miles away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: My mother, oh, two of my friends before she called to tell me because she thought I would want to have someone there with me when I heard the news, And that was thoughtful of her, But it was exactly wrong. When I hear important news, and that even includes good news, I like to process it myself.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, me too.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's different, you process it differently, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then afterwards I was very very much comforted and appreciated and welcomed the support of my friends and relatives.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And I thought that was something quirky about me. But Carol Kan did this dissertation where she interviewed fourteen women who had who had been single for a long time and asked them what they like to do when they first heard something important, and eight of them said the same thing. They want to process it on their own.
Speaker 1: Well, and I can't imagine that another person being in the room when you get important information, good or bad. Like you said, it's almost impossible to not be affected by their energy in terms, and I can't imagine that doesn't affect your processing, because, like one of my greatest things about being in a relationship versus being single, a lot of times, no matter how great the boyfriend is, I have to be the only person in my entire apartment for at least one day out of the week, and if not, I'll go Absolutely. You could be in the room and I'll never see you, but I know you're there and your energy and I can't.
Speaker 3: So so with that in mind, like the.
Speaker 2: Greek a piece of your mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without trying, probably without even trying, without trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, sure, of course, it doesn't have to be conscious at all. It's just you know they're there. And you know what I love about you telling me that story, And I've heard things like that from so many other people. Is it counters this insistence that if you are alone, you know, spending time alone, there's something wrong with you, Like you're some loner that's going to go shoot up a school right now. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's a difference.
Speaker 2: Between being alone because you want to be and you enjoy that time and it makes you feel rejuvenated and happy and healthy, as opposed to your alone because everybody rejected you. I mean, that's that's a whole different story.
Speaker 1: I think there's more people in the world that are married because they felt pressure too, like and there's I shouldn't be married. So married is the most lonely feeling in the world. Being with somebody you don't actually do with.
Speaker 3: But I think that, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Like I think we do conflate these two types of a loaneless like we conflate people who have chosen to be alone and people who, as you say, the world has rejected. And unfortunately, the people who who the world has rejected are our louder group of people, because they are the ones who go and shoot up a school and so and so. Then we associate as a society being alone is a bad thing. But like, one of the first thoughts I had when my dad died was I'm so glad I'm not married, so I don't have to deal with a husband on top of this shit and his family.
Speaker 3: He's got a whole ass family.
Speaker 1: I was so And now you know, it's we're at the time where more people's parents are dying as we get into, you know, approach our forties. And yeah, I see my friends who have to like navigate having a partner and also going through the death of parent. I actually know a couple who basically got divorced because her father died, and like I could just tell from having been through it myself, the husband, the husband was not doing a good job of supporting, and she was like, I don't want to be honest anymore. I think a lot of our a lot of people in maybe America especially are kind of emotionally they're not attuned to their own emotions as much like their emotional intelligence is not because we don't encourage it in school. We don't encourage it like where I think we're just starting to encourage emotional intelligence and introspection, like in a much bigger way. But yeah, that's almost impossible to get if you're being with somebody for so long.
Speaker 3: It's like, what are your own thoughts? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Another thing about the death of father. Carla one of the people who one of the single at Hard people in my Single at Heart but told me that when her father was dying and she was very close to him, she felt so relieved not to have a romantic partner because she wanted to spend as much time with him as possible, and that would have been harder thing to do if she were partnering.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Do you think we'll start having movies soon, maybe in our lifetime for kids, like Disney movies where they're just celebrating a person man or a woman or in between.
Speaker 3: Who's just happy being alone?
Speaker 2: Yeah? A while back, there's a movie called Braige. Oh yes, yeah, she was great Mara maybe with her name.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's alone Okay, I didn't see it though. It's the curly Redhead Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know it's about a little girl. We need grown ups to want to be saying on, stay sing on and love it. And it's just appalling. Oh, that's just not out there. And it's especially appalling because there are so many people who would relate to that. And you know, there have been hints that people who write movies and come up with ideas for TV shows should have taken A long time ago. Sex and the City had this scene that was so popular. It was when the four women were at a wedding at the bouquet toss and the flowers come toward them and it's right toward them, and they all stand there and let it drop in front of them, and then they look at each other and they make plans for where they're going next. And you know, why didn't people tune in the creative community, Why didn't they tune into that and realize there's something there, There's something appealing about literally turning your back on the whole fantasy land of marriage.
Speaker 1: And on that same note, it's so unappealing to hear female characters because most of that show was them kind of bitching about the men in their lives and not really doing a lot about it. And so like a moment like that, you feel like different cellularly taking that in in a in artistic house, and then it's just like this whole trope of there. I was thinking a lot when I was reading. I was skimming over your book about how many people are in marriages and they don't like their husband or wife. I'm like, why, And I'm realizing now as we're talking to you, why we give we we're so quick. People write us emails all the time. We're so quick to tell them to break up. But it's because but it's because, like maybe it because we're both single at heart, because we know how precious and amazing your alone time is.
Speaker 3: Blissful. It's blissful.
Speaker 1: And I have a boyfriend that I love so much, but I will never not love my lifetime like that will stay with me through rest of my life.
Speaker 3: And he's a lot older than me, so technically is probably gonna die before me.
Speaker 1: And when I think about that, I'm like, all right, cool, I'll do the last couple decades solo.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 2: And well, you know, one of the reasons I'm so passionate about this and I want to, you know, get my book out there and my message out there is because if you are single at heart and you marry because you think it's what you should do, and the other person you marry is not single at heart, that's not fair to them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: You It's like, you know what people say, and it's mocked for being you know, just a thing they say when a relationship ends, it's not you, it's me. Well, when the person is single and heart.
Speaker 3: That's actually true.
Speaker 2: Relationship ends, it's not it's often not the partner's fault. It's not it's about the person. It's single hard, and it's never gonna work. You know. One thing that convinced me most powerfully that this is really a thing is when I heard from people who found the one people they loved, who loved them, who were willing to do anything for them, and yet it's just didn't want to be coupled. Interesting and yeah, because otherwise people say, oh, you just haven't found the right person. You're fooling yourself. Blah blah, blah blah blah. You know, the way they dismiss single people's emotions and feelings, the way they never dismiss the married persons. I mean, nobody would say to a married person, oh, you just think you're happy, Yeah, fooling yourself?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well so deeply Ingreid even the way that we like barely like, I don't know if we ever or it's very rarely that we elect a president who is unmarried, have we ever, because we just don't there's something in our society that we go, oh, something must be wrong with that person. When I think, like, well, if the person's unmarried, well then they've had their whole life to devote to the pursuit of social justice and politics and causes, and probably would be more well suited to be residents.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in fact, there's there's a lot of research showing that single people are in many ways more giving and caring and and aunctruistic than people who aren't. And you can see that also. Of course I'm focused on the single couple thing, but also kids, no kids. I think that a president who had no kids is more likely to care about all the kids and in the country and not just their kids. Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, Yeah, because it's it's so often, especially women, childless unmarried women are so often called uh selfish. And as I see more and more of my friends getting married, I actually I agree with your point entirely, where it's like, oh, they care more about their kids. They don't care about, as you said, all the kids. And it's not like pointing a finger like oh one is better, you know than the other, or like married people are selfish. So that's not I'm not trying to flip it and say that they are selfish, but I do think they're it's it's misadvertised when you say, oh, you have kids, you'll care more about the world that they grow up, And it's like, no, I think you'll care more about the how your children specifically grow up in the world, but rather than all the kids growing up in the world.
Speaker 3: And some of it is just time. Like part of my decision, am I ever changing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: My process mostly like I don't want to have kids, but a big reason is because I think I would have to devote so much time to my own children to give them the life that I would want to that I that I would have to stop doing these larger pursuits that I'm really interested in and changing the world at large for better, which I do feel like I have the power to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think more people. I know a lot of married people, and a big chunk of them. I'm like, you guys are a lovely couple. You're lovely to be around. I love getting dinner with you. But most, I gotta say most, it's.
Speaker 3: Like they're not there.
Speaker 1: They realized that their sacrifice was too much like sacrificing my fifty percent of my mental capacity to now think about what you want to do and what your input is.
Speaker 3: It is just where you could be.
Speaker 1: Donating that to learning how to play the drums or you know, having two homes or whatever.
Speaker 3: Do you have any recommending No, Oh, go ahead, okay.
Speaker 2: And I even feel happy even when I'm with happy couples, couples who seem happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So for example, if I go out to dinner with a group that includes couples and they seem like a good pair and everything's fine, and the end, I am so happy that I'm not them because they have to go home and be with each other and I get to go home be.
Speaker 1: A LUCKI totally, totally that's sweet, sweet alone time girls valuable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's mad. Exactly Do you do.
Speaker 1: You have any recommendations besides like making films that portray people living single and happy lives, Like adjustments that we could make in society from the research that you've done, Like how can we start to make this feel like a viable option for.
Speaker 3: Young women and young men in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh sure. So if you're a teacher at any level, you could include the ideas that I'm talking about in your teaching. Same thing for role models at the government level. Oh my gosh. There's so much that can be done, starting with something easy. The way politicians and candidates talk about, oh, I'm here for families, for working families, Well, well it's so ridiculous because families don't get hired and two year olds aren't great workers are off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about them, and then the policies that could change. You know, there are hundreds of laws that benefit and protect only people who are legally married, and that has got to change, and it's really important. Stuff like family and medical leave apps. So if you are in an eligible workplace, you can take time off to care for a parent child or you're suppose well, a single person can take time off to care for a parent a child, but there's no one in the place, and so I can't take time off to care for a close friend or a dear relative or anyone else, and no one can take that time off to care for me. So those are ways in which we're you know, we're really stigmatizing and hurting people who are single at heart and are just single, and you know, we should want people to be there for each other.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, Yeah, that actually reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves. We're stand up comedians, and I've been trying to write a joke about this, but so often on the news, when someone is murdered, it will somehow increase the horror of them being murdered if they have kids, and it just feels so like like she's.
Speaker 4: Better than yeah, like always it so like it's so what The message that I get from that constantly is like, so if you are murdered or die, especially at.
Speaker 1: A young age, and you didn't have kids, like oh wow, loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah really, well, actually, there's a lot. I'm gonna say it's funny, but it's not. It's awful, but it's amusing and its awfulness. So if you are married and you die, your spouse gets a couple hundred dollars towards final expenses. But if you're single and you die, no and gets that, it's like throw their body in a ditch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what the hair? Oh my god? Yeah, And it's.
Speaker 1: It goes along with this concept, like you could kind of say that a country pushing its people to get a citizen to get married, so they're pushing for traditional family. Whenever you hear a politician belong to any group that has traditional or family, they're usually anti LGBT, anti women's right. So there's just all these awful, awful things, but it goes kind of hand in hand, Like one of the most dangerous types of people to capitalism is somebody who self actualized and loves themselves and doesn't feel empty or shall or hollow or ugly or.
Speaker 3: Or whatever or less than.
Speaker 1: And it's nice that it's coming kind of we're talking about being single at heart at a good time when we're also encouraging people to get to know themselves. On a much deeper level than they were ever encouraged to do so. And so hopefully that means that more people can more people can realize this before they feel pressure to jump into a marriage, because I feel like some people you meet.
Speaker 3: And you're like, wait, you're engaged. You just met? Like how often that happens?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is there great? Yeah? There is a lot of pushback from you know, this is what my message is threatening to people who want to say who want to believe that the traditional way is the one and only good and valuable way to live. And so I do get pushed back.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting. What's like the what's what are can do?
Speaker 1: You have a comment in your head of something somebody said because they were so threatened by this idea, because to me, I would, oh, well, they're so miserable being married that they want you to also be miserable.
Speaker 2: Well, this is in on page two sixty two of my Single Heart book. This is an email I got. I got says Hi, Bella just want to let you know that single people are inferior in every way. They're worthless, useless, lazy, and stupid. There's nothing I hate like single people, anyone single it's completely defective, otherwise someone would love them. So I know you found some micro macro aggressions there, but I want you to use all of your Harvard skills. Just understand it's entirely your fault. You're single, Therefore you suck.
Speaker 3: He's talking you suck.
Speaker 2: Because you're single. Say it out loud. You are nothing worthless.
Speaker 1: That was That's that I'm assuming I was a man talking to himself, or well it could be a woman to that was this person talking to themselves.
Speaker 3: They were talking to themselves. I mean, that's so cool Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's also and it kind of makes me sad for the writer because the writer is thinks has it ingrained in. Let's just say his mind that it's just guessing that you, because you are unmarried and you don't have a romantic partner, that no one loves you, when I mean it's you're pretty clear from your attitude that you're very loved.
Speaker 3: You're you're happy, you're emanating love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, it just makes me.
Speaker 3: It makes me sad that people think that.
Speaker 1: Where people think like if no one we're a society of people waiting to be chosen, and I find that to be extremely depressing.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't.
Speaker 1: I haven't waited on a small scale to be chosen for like a prom or a date or anything, and certainly not on a large scale to be chosen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. And you know that goes to another one of the big points of my Single heartbook, which is that single light if you love it, if you embrace it and invest in it, it's a more expansive life. So we understand that love is more than just romantic love, that intimacy can include sexual intimacy, but it also includes emotional intimacy. That relationships aren't just romantic relationships. They can include friendships and relationships with colleagues and friends and relatives and mentors and confidence and all of those kinds of relationships are important. And so in that way, for the single at hearsh, the risk is not what they would lose if they did not put a romantic partner at the center of their lives, of what they would lose if they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, chills say, yeah, that's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think to speak speak that like a problem that I see as I get older is as more and more of my friends.
Speaker 3: Find you know, the one, or get married or have kids.
Speaker 1: Like these people that I have spent my whole life with, like they just have less time for me, right, And also their interests become different from mine. And it doesn't mean that I like them less as people, but we're just on different paths. And I know you created this Facebook group, but do you have any other recommendations other than that, Like, so, how do we find people that are on similar journeys because I'm really interested in that, in finding people like that.
Speaker 3: I've found a little through wickup, but that's not the normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, I think we need more ways to do this. And I think as the idea the concept banksing on heart becomes more widely known, I think there will be more people who will who will self identify as single at heart and will be open to friendship send And what's really great if you do find I know, I'm not giving you great suggestions for how to find this friend, but you yeah, so why they maybe? But they're not saying that they're single at heart because it's so stigmatized. People say, oh, you're just fooling yourself. You're not really happily single. What's great about having friends who are single at heart, is that they are really present in the friendship. So they're not looking past you for the romantic partner who might be on the horizon, or about the partner who might be waiting for you at home, and they're not going to do what people who get coupled in, which is demote you from you know, maybe you used to go to dinner, now you go out to lunch, or maybe they saw you a lot, now they see you maybe, Yeah, so's it's a whole different kind of friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I I end up spending a lot of time with straight men because I've found that even when they are in relationships, they still live like they're single at heart.
Speaker 3: So yeah, straight men sing at heart. That's been my that's been my fix.
Speaker 1: But you know, like, truthfully, it's not like I because we're stand up comedians, I think we actually have the luxury of being around a lot more older, single people than most people have access to.
Speaker 3: So that's certainly been good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, unfortunately, when you're like these, most women, even female comedians, I think, are still distracted, as you're kind of saying, by this quest, this quest that society has put us on them, where we're looking for the one, whereas men, I mean I said it to be joking, but like I am serious, Like they live like they're single at heart, or they're not on a quest to find the one.
Speaker 3: They're just on a quest. They're not even on the quest. They just they're just living.
Speaker 1: Found someone in you know, in the vicinity, as we say on this one about them, and it's not that distracting to them. Yeah, because it's like a partner, lot of soulmate, and it just takes so much more headspace.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, I love that your stand up comedians, and I think you should come up with gigs to do about this. I mean, take the role of someone who's single at heart and what they're really thinking to themselves. So imagine, for example, when someone chose their engagement ring and everybody around them squeezers, like, oh, make fun of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, I mean I try.
Speaker 1: I recently made an observation that men to me are like a promotional toe bag, like I'll use this, but I didn't know this, and oh my god, on date nights, no one will laugh, but on you know, Monday through Thursday, cackles because you can't laugh at that in front of your when your boyfriend's paying the bill. You know that's not good, Okay, And I think we get a lot of on this show. We get a lot of pushback from people leading more traditional lives. So I think feel, for lack of a better word, triggered by our conversations on here, like we are somehow hating on area people, or that we have some vendette against them, or that the whole show is us being bitter, when I've tried to express multiple times that we spend a lot of time talking about options other than marriage, or perhaps maybe the downfalls of marriage and traditional life, because that's not something that's been talked about a lot, and there are just so many spaces where you can talk about how great marriage is, and there's not enough where how you have tools to help people feel less triggered, or to explain to them that we're not attacking their traditional lifestyle.
Speaker 3: We're just presenting a different option. We're presenting one that's more fun.
Speaker 8: Sorry, hater, right, So the way I think of it is that single got harsh and having an openness to that.
Speaker 2: It's part of a whole bigger project of people getting to live their best most authentic lives. It's part of the whole process of when people who weren't heterosexual felt digmatized and couldn't couldn't say who they really were, or when women were stuck in more of a traditional box. I mean, some still are, but it's much less so now. And so I think that people who are drawn to coupled life, who really do flourish there more than they would if they were single, they should get to do that. No one needs to say that, just assumes that. So the reason that I need to talk about single at heart and focus on single people and be a messenger for the way single life can be fulfilling and more fulfilling than coupled life for people who are single at heart is because that message isn't out there. So it's not that I want to dump on you married people who are coupled or you know, make fun of them, But I do want to show that people who are single should feel just as proud of their lives. And in some ways, you are single at harsh and you admit it and you don't try to hide that. That's even in a way it's even more admirable because you're going against the grain you're taking the risk that people will mock you or disbelieve you as I oh, you're just fooling yourself. But it's important because you can then be a rule model for other people who love being single but they don't want to admit it, or they think, oh, this really gets to me. Some people who love being single, I've written to me and they think there's something wrong with them, So you know, they'll go to therapy and myself help books and weird Is that that someone who loves their life, there's something wrong with you? If you love your life. Congratulations, you're doing one of the few.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an amazing, beautiful, blessed position to be in. Oh my gosh, this has been a lovely interview. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is there anything talking to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We we love it.
Speaker 1: I knew I knew that this was going to be great and I can't wait to read the whole book. Is there anything else that you want people to know, other things that you've written, or places where people can find you and follow you, plug anything you want right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, So my website is Belladipollo dot com. E E L L A D E p A U L o dot com and I have been writing the Living Single blog for a Psychology Today since two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us here today I continue living your best single life. This was such a great and unique interview and I'm so excited for our listeners to hear this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is Guys We Fucked, the Anti slutschain podcast. We'll talk to you next Friday, Beau. Guys We Fucked is presented by Luminary, Created and hosted by Corin Fisher and Christina Hutchinson. Editing and music coordination by Mike Coscarelli. Theme song by Rob Patterson and Jake.
Speaker 3: Cosen Stuck my wet ass pussy. Christina SAIDs to cut that before, but now it's in the air. Yeah, let's keep it. Who good.
Speaker 6: Lately, I haven't gone through shift. Other things I love seemed to defeed me. I don't want to do ship step, spoke, greed, sex and watch TV.
Speaker 9: I haven't feels bit better. It's hard to make great things look geasy. I don't want to.
Speaker 6: Do shiit, stup, smoke, greed, sex and watch TV. Tired egg being motivated consume Alma.
Speaker 9: I've had cost thirty.
Speaker 6: Jobs and still the minute rights then sometimes to see of facing everything is true? What's your point in going? And amya whose days up at night waiting for me to arrive?
Speaker 2: Waiting for me.
Speaker 4: Too?
Speaker 6: Lately I haven't going through ship. All the things I love seemed to defeed me.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do.
Speaker 6: Ship, step spoke, greed, steps and watch TV.
Speaker 9: I haven't fans to fit by decide to make great things look easy.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do shit, step spoke, greed, sex and watch TV.
Speaker 3: Jolianna doc, I knew what the truth is.
Speaker 6: Don't may go down.
Speaker 4: This Tago was