Speaker 1: Wake that answer up in the morning. Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is d J n V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 3: We say special a lot, but this is uh, this is one of those special special special guests.
Speaker 2: Icon a legend absolutely means a lot to me, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: D m C. Yo, what's upthing? It's good to be I'm doing good.
Speaker 3: He came in here with a lot of product to your children's books, and he got his memoir and he got the cookie cook d m C.
Speaker 1: Daryl makes cookies. Well, that inspired by Dame Dash when he was on I've always I've always was thinking about doing cookies in about five years ago at to the event, and this lady from Harlem had her cupcakes and cookies and stuff like that and they were really good, and I was like, I love cookies. This isn't it And I've just blurted out loud, you know what, I'm gonna start a cookie company. I'm gonna call it Daryl makes Cookies. And everybody in the room was like, will bought it because they thought it was so cool to play on the letters that don't make d MC down cookies. And also I'm always doing stuff at schools. I'm always around families, I'm always around forced the kids, and I like to do stuff to make people smile. Absolutely, So for all of you out there, we will have the vegan, we will have the gluten free, but we will have a protein cookie for people in the gyms. And we started with chocolate chip, but we're gonna have chocolate chip, double chocolate, sugar cookie, oatmeal, oatmeal, raisin and the whole. Now do you remember your first cookie in life? That my first Yeah, my first cookie was a butter cookie. There was this place in Queens and Long Island called Gows where everybody used to get their milk from, remember Goals, And they used to have the cows, then the cows. They used to milk the cows and calendar real cows. The cows was in there. They used to bring the milk bottles by and you would buying the milk. So it's this place called Goals and they sow cookies and candies and stuff like that. But I've always loved cookies.
Speaker 2: I want to start from the beginning. Of course, I'm from Queens and what run DMC meant to me.
Speaker 1: Was everything right. Wow.
Speaker 2: I went to school on Holland Saint Francis, Saint Jokamanin and right on Hollys Crouss Street from PS thirty four and to see brothers from my neighborhood make it out and become international stars was everything. But not only that. This was the day before social media, so running into your favorite celebrity was everything, right. I remember running into to Run and yourself at TSS and.
Speaker 1: Oh Tom Square story, that's right.
Speaker 2: And you've given me an autograph on the back of an envelope. You know me because autographs meant the most.
Speaker 1: I still have it.
Speaker 2: Now, let's talk how you've got into music and what made DMC start rapping and how did you hook up with Run being from Hollis.
Speaker 1: So for me, I first started as a DJ because there was this thing going around called flash tapes. Did you hear the flash tapes with flashing equipments? So when I got the Queens, I heard the tape of Flash doing a good time. He wasn't originally from Queens.
Speaker 2: You were originally from where I was?
Speaker 1: Well, I lived in Brooklyn for one year, but I didn't find out I was from somewhere else until I was thirty five. That's a whole number. Yeah right, exactly right. But flash tapes came into Queens and it was the block parties and stuff like that. So me and my brother we got DJ Quimy wanted to be DJs. In my basement, I was grand Mass to get High because to get high, Yeah, that was my name, Grandmaster get High because you didn't need old English, so Weed because my music qu was intoxication that it was in my brain prior to that was is a kid that read comic books. Now I'm like you and went to Catholic school. But the first thing for hip hop boy is the DJ thing. So I wanted to be like grand Master Flash. And then all of a sudden you started hearing the tapes of Grandmaster Flash in the first five Treacher Stree Theodore tapes. You know, the whole thing just came in. So first it was a DJ. So my brother, he was only when I was allowed to go to Jamaica Avenue to the record store. I was still a young kid. So he brought home rappers and light you know that hip hop first on the record, and you know, everybody went crazy, Oh wow. You know the wasn't even hip hop. The mcs are now making records or whatever whatever, but I didn't like rappers the Light. Still. The only thing that I liked about about Rappers the Light was the big bang hank rhyme please talked about Superman, so you know, I didn't know what Elle was talking about. I know superheroes, but this is a game changer. A couple of weeks later, my brother comes home. Because if you remember, Rappers the Light was a very elaborate, very attractive cover. It was light blue, very colorful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rainbow, yep.
Speaker 1: Boom, it's very coh next week coming. It was just a white plank cover, red label record. It said Enjoying Records on it, and it said Grandmaster Flash And I'm like, oh, that's the DJ guy and the Furious five. Oh yo, that's the MC thing. So I put the needle on this. Now, when you put the needle on Rappers the Light, it comes a hip hop, thebbit, the hebby. It was a little different from me because at that time there was two type and mod talks about it. There was two types of MCS and rappers. It was the disco DJ rapping man. I'm the man and put your hand party. It was different went those casts, and then you had to yes, hit shawls, but to the beat the street. You know what I'm saying, MC thing so rappers the light did in attract me. Stept for the Big Bank hand cryme, which I found out was dope because it was written by one of the dopest mcs from the street, Grandmaster Cast. But I didn't know that a goldkrez safes game out. But this is the life changing thing that made me start writing. I'm Grandmaster Gat, I'm Grandmaster Get, I'm a basement on the DJ plaining is then I put you and two together. I'm a kid trying to piece all of this together. So Grandmaster Flash has five EMCs that he plays the music for, so I put the needle on this record. It didn't open up hip hop and then it wasn't no R and B distinct set. It was a party nine. Everybody he was breaking into hots one, screaming in the base was shaking in and won't be long till everybody's not on that flashes on the pee bocks going and I'm going, oh my god, what the hell is this? And and shine out identicals Italian Caucasian, Japanese, Spanish, Indian Negro v at the knees, MC disc jockeys, y'all fly kids. I went run and give me a pen, Alfred, give me a pen. So I just started writing rhymes for myself. So I was a grandmaster get high, and I was MC eazy D. Because my name starts for the DN, it's easy for me to write my rhymes. So that's all I'm doing in my basement, writing rhymes. Joseph Simmons, we went to the same Catholic high school, Saint Pascal Bayline. He was always in the other class. We didn't know. We only knew each other, Hey Daryl, Hey Joe, because the only reason we knew each other it was two classes each. It was kindergarten and you together. But then when you go to first grade it's one one and one two. So I was always in the two classes. He was always in the one. So in eighth grade where that happened. This is destiny. We went to Catholic school, so you know this. After school you had to go home and put on your play clothes. That's right, because your Catholic school pants you and want you to make mess and you know, you can't go to the park which your thing on, because you're gonna get your money taken, You're gonna get teased, picked, get bullied, You're gonna get bullied exactly, so you would have to go home. So Sant Pasco, Bengland had one basketball and rim in the school yard in eighth grade. In eighth grade, a new student comes in and thank you, David McEachen, because you helped us change the world. David McEachen comes to the school. You know, it's a big thing when a new student comes to school out of nowhere. Everybody's talking about it. Class. We like to introduce the new student, that whole thing. David McEachen. I'm like six to one now, So in eighth grade, David mcgeachen was about six to one. He comes into school, he's tall like Kareem af dude jabbar. He dunks on the one rim that the Catholic school kids have in the school yard and he breaks it. Damn so up now we can go hold up everybody stop, wait a minute, pipe for them. Bannon McDaniel's. My parents are the best parents in the world. My father put a rim in my backyard yes, Darryl saves the day. So after school, I'm a five minute walk from Paschal, So all the kids would come to my backyard and play basketball after school to be safe. And I don't have to go to one ninety two or JA make a park to give them money and get bullying. It's easy. So one day Joey shows up alone with his basketball and I'm like, yo, we're Doug. Where's Craig. Oh he had to go to the dinners. What's his name? Some punishment. So it's just me and you. Let's play ball. So we play ball. You know what I'm saying. Joe is good. Joe and Jay I wasn't a ball I just had to remember. So we played ball. After we played very good. He was left handed, very good. His favor you could speak to him. He loved doctor j He run was nice. Jay was nice. Look and I'm awkward, but I'm just trying to fit in and I press the guys. Come on, I need a friend, So Dad put her in there, you know what I'm saying. So after we played ball, I usually go and You're gonna love this too. You go in the house, you get the juggle, will force it water that you're put in refrigerator to get it cold, and you get Dixie cups. And I come to the back door and I give all twelve kids a Dixie cup and water. This particular day is run. Now what's the room when no parents is home? Can't have company? It's it's only run, you know what. Come on in and get the water. He comes in, change purpose and destiny. He comes in. He sees me and my brother's turntables and he goes, yo, you do that? And I go no, because that was my thing. I didn't want nobody. And he goes, yo, my brother's Russell Simmons. You ever see the flyers that's up on the telephone pulls and the chreet my my brother's Russell Russ and he managed his Curtis Blow and Jimmy Spicy, and he goes on and on. So now I'm a little oapen. I'm like what And he goes, yeah, I'm DJ run. And in the summertime, no school, I go all around New York City and to try to state that are they called me the son of colters blowing up right? And I said, and I go wold something? Oh, I said, I could do it? A little bit, and he goes show me something. So I go over to the turntables and I do the super sperm quipment soup poop soup. So it's like, yode this good in this? So now the plan was this. Now we got something else in common besides ball after school. My parents would get home at four o'clock. We get out of school two ten, so we go play ball for half an hour. Then we go in the basement in DJ for him forty five minutes. So that became the routine. One particular day, when he would come over, I would hide my rhyme book so he couldn't see that. We could just DJ and he'll he'll tell you. He knew how to DJ, but he didn't know how to do theadore and what Flash was doing. And I knew all that, so I told him all of that. So one particular day we down there. I remember we have peanut butter and jaelly and potato chips and it was my turn to DJ, and I look over at Joe and he's sitting on the couch in the basement and he got my rhyme book. That was like having my diary. You know what I'm saying, I left it on the coffee table. Usual, I would put it under the couch when Joe when I knew Joe was coming, because the rhyme book was my thing talking about me being MC eazy D. So he finds it and I'm run over there trying to get it from him, and he's like no, no, no, wait wait D and he was like, yo, you rode all of this and I was like, yeah, you know, it's like a hobby. And he just looks at me, and I'll never forget the day slow motion when my brother Russell lets me make a record, I'm putting you in my group. And I looked in and went in one air and out the other because I'm like, yo in my f and Yo, I don't do this for real? You do that? You yo the flashes And he said, noded, don't worry about it. So that was in eighth grade. We graduated running Jay went to Andrew Jackson High School, and Jackson the first school. I took three trains and two buses all the way to Rice High School one hundred and twenty fourth Street in Lynux. Now later on I find out it wasn't just to go to school. I told her if it was a good with an all boys Catholic high school. But when I got there, something great happened. I got to Rice High School in ninth grade, right the kids that were in Rice High School, and this was all my purpose and destiny. The kids in Rice High School they live in the Bronx harlem Man. So when I got to Rice's High School, this blew my mind. All the kids there, they have the rap dj MC thing before seventy nine rappers, the Light, they got the T connection, they got the auto bomb ballroom, they got the black, they got hard, and I'm like the Autobahn. That's what Malcolm Mexic got killed. What do you mean you're doing hip hop? But the beautiful thing was it wasn't the rappers, the Light records and the Heartbeat record. It wasn't the records. It was a treacherous street over beach rhyming, not about disco stuff. Yes, yeah, can you finding them see better than me? Mo? D? Can you finding them see better than me? No? Can you find in them see who can say he's better than shoe K? No? Can you find an MC who can rhyme up against La son Sean? No? You can't. You can't you saw? And I'm like, what the hell? So I'm changing my pen game. So ninth grade, tenth grade, eleventh grade, twelfth grade, I'm getting a crash course in beach rhymes. Atchcha. I heard this girl going to all of you. My name is Shah Shah. I'm not a I'm like, what the hell? This is nothing like them super rapping. You know what I'm saying. So my penang change. Here's the beautiful thing. Remember eighth grade, run says when Russell lets me make a record, we went to different school. Ninth grade, tenth grade, eleventh grade, twelfth grade. I graduate from Rice High School, send my resume out to Saint John's University, and a couple of other college come home in the mayl there's a letter to me, mister darn McDaniels. I open it up before my mother. Mister Daryl McDaniels will problem to inform you you're going to Saint John's University. What oh, this is crazy, It's funny. My mother and father come home. I run past them down to the base to write a rhyme. I don't think mine got I ran to the basement to check this out. I right this round DMC in the place to be. I went to the City Universe right run right, that was I was a class of eighty two in June of eighty two. The phone rings, It's Joe Yo d what's up? Man? No, you know we've seen each other, but he calls this particular Remember four years ago, Yeah, when I said, if I make a uh huh, grab your rhyme book, We're going to the studio to make a record. We go to Green Street Recording Studio right here, and we go down there. We make this like that, and that's the way it is. And in the B side suckerm sees Wow here I am today. Wow, That's how I's exactly. I love Superhero Origin stores, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I'm thinking about when you first heard the rap and you decided that you wanted to pick up your pin.
Speaker 1: Did you already experiment with rapping before that? Let's see, I was a good students like listen to Okay, I listened to. It was bugging me out because and the switch off thing that run DMC is famous for. You know what I'm saying. People think we invented it. No flashing them because after he said the Italian caucasion in Japanese Venner's Indian Negro MC Dishackiezio Fly Kids for the young ladies. Now, if you remember Rapers of Light Rappers, the light was on long ass record. Yes, the MC three mcs with long ash rhymes stopped long ass rhyme, these dude said, introducing the crew. You got to see the belief five different for imagine Man's yiad fifteen years old with one, two, three, four, five m seeds. One dude says, I'm melly mel and a rocket so well, and then the other dude said, then I'm missing the that's because of rock the best. This dude said rahem, and all the ladies dreaming, and the other dudes with the crazy cow boy and I make could jump for joy. This blew my mind. The fifth through goest creole, the other food other four goes solid goat kid creole with a furious five plus grand mass the flash giving you a blast to show enough class so to prove to you all that was second to none. We're going to make five MC. That was it. There was oh, you can do that, like because I was in the beginning, most of us thought you had to go hip hop dehibbit. Dehibit tell, I'm the distal man and I played my rap. These dudes was talking about how incredible they were. So my pen game was like this. And when Joe took me in the studio when we went to write us like that, You've got to remember people don't understand hip hop does the same thing over and over. Some kid asked me, I speaking of the high school in the Bronx, mister d MC, because I'm fifty nine years old now. Now if I was twenty, then your DMC. He ask me, what do you think about mumbo rap? So I'm old, I'm a man now. He they want they want to see you young whipper snappers, this snap boom. They wanted to see me hey, and I go, I can relate to that. You should have seen it. Clut huh, the old man. My parents didn't. I said, you know why I could relate to it because they said the same thing about me hip hop dehibit dehibbit. The difference between my generation and your genituation is when we got criticized about something, we stopped the music, said, oh, you don't think we can deliver contact. We wrote It's like that, we wrote the message. We wrote Planet Rock, and the list goes on and on. So when we went in to do the studio to do it's like that. Originally it's like that. It's kind of like a Curtis Blow record, because Run was the son of Curtis Blow and Russell and Jimmy Spicer. When you listen to the early hip hop that Russell was doing, they was doing, let's do this style, use R and B to get accepted. I'm sitting in right, so I'm like, there's no acceptance to this. I can talk about going to McDonald's like busy b y'all we wrapped. I'm in the disco, man, I'm gonna talk about see to the Apple, Apple to the call, I am the man with the rhyms the Lord rock a rhym for me and then the rhyme for you. I wanted to do that. So originally it's like that was unemployment had a record high, people come in, people going, people going to die. Don't ask me because I don't know why. It's like that. If we would have made that message a little bit, it was, you know the Rappie rap, you know super Bowl that thing, you know, I said, no, do you know what they was doing before rappers, the Light and Larry Smith let me just say, the greatest hip hop producer ever that nobody knows about. He produced All Aroun DMC's first album, All Around dmc second album before Rick Rubin came and he's the guy that started Rock Box, No Walked This Way, no Rock. But long story short, So the message came out. If you remember, in the beginning, hip hop was all message records. So I guess I was doing an interview and I was doing an interview and I brought up that hip hop always does it the one hit record that is the top. It's crazy in this era the hit person at the top. Everybody under them sounds alike, and that's just a normal thing, right. And when I'm hearing the Cold Crush, they all rapping, but they got different rhyme routines. They told them about different things. So the message came out. Planet Rock came out. So we're going in and making it's like that record about the world. I'm studying this like Tony. I'm saying, Joe, you know what we gotta do it. This is like that record. We got to put the negative and the positive together. It's like that, and that's the way. That's why if you're listen, it's like that it's a message record. If we talk about unemployment, well we also talk about go to school this and then do so we combine that. So since I was a very smart kid to Joe d just go home and right a bunch of rounds how the world is. So when you're listening, it's like that it's me and Joe together. So Russell's plan and it's see the world is crazy. Russell's plan for Run was to be run the MC. So me coming in with the DMC work for Russell because if I sucked, he was gonna kick me out. The group Run was going to tour and do it's like that by hisself member Martha Wash, the fat lady that sung all the club records in the eighties and nineties, but they put the pretty girl. Yes, yeah, exactly how that Russell wanted to do that to me? But who was the person that he was gonna use? Oh do you want to know? So over in London at this time, hip hop was big. They knew about Curtis Blow, they knew about band, they knew about Flashing them. There was a and you could look this up there was a pioneering DJ over in England called Lady Blue who was doing hip hop everything band was doing and she would come over and learn she was taking him back there and this is like eighty one eighty early eighty, So Lady Blue, this is funny for Joe. Lady Blue is gonna be runs. DJ Run the MC with DJ Lady Blue. She had a pantomime hop blocker. Crazy shit, what is your thing? You're into this entertainment? I mean is it progressive thinking? Yes, sir, so Run is coming to me. We do it's like that, and Russell was like, DDE, get out the way, go sit down. Now, we gotta do we gotta do the beat. We gotta do the beat tam which was sucking Seats, just put a beat on them round. If you listen to Sucking Seas, it's three rhymes from Run because that was his solo record. So he goes in and he a's the record Run comes to me. D you gotta go in there and show Russell that you can wrap and that you're incredible, that you're like to get the best. And it's just Run telling me that you're the best out there. And he's telling me because I don't want to be with Lady Blue ind And I'm telling him run now, no, man, I'm good, I'm gonna I'm gonna like that this and that. Russey he said, and you know, run is it the crush Groove Run in the movie. That's what run would do to Russell. And He's like, Russell, this is it just going in. So I go on the booth and run, says Deed say a rhyme, and I'm like, yo, run, You're trying to get me for whatever. And he just says, motherfucker, just say your newest rhyme. What was my newest rhyme? I'm DMC. I'm deplaced to be say, I'm a passion to mind. Just saying your newest rhyme? I hit that verse. Russell walks in the studio. Oh my god, that's it. The name of the group is gonna be called Run DMC. Your initials are perfect. This and that boom boom boom, boom boom. So when we went into the studio, my thing was this, let's do what was being done in the parks and the box parties in the dark basements in New York City and not change our presentation of who we are just to get radio players, just to get accepted. So we did it. It's like that message record with some positivity in it. And then we did Sucking Seas. If you understand everybody was musical at the time. Good to everybody's sampling R and B and the oh who's the hot jam My love Love at the encore, or let's make a beat about that by me going and Rice to say these motherfuckers. It's using James Brown and jazz and this and that. So Sucking Seas boom tet tet just to beat people don't realize Sucking Seas was the first game changing element, not walked its way and all of that and not rocking that game later the first thing that happened to put hip hop on that. Yo, that's what the.
Speaker 2: Fact I'm light skin, I live in Queens and.
Speaker 3: You don't want to ask you when it comes to MCN how do you properly rank hip hop MC's because just like in basketball, skills have changed throughout the years, right, you know, so how do you rank a rapper from the eighties with somebody from the nineties or the two thousands.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you do that? Because I could, Yeah, how do you do it? There's no goat, there's it can't you can't say that just ago because everybody's so good, you know, people always It's funny throughout the years, people would ask me who's better eminem A, jay Z Chuck d Okay, that didn't say so you know if you tell that, you know what I'm saying this dude, Chuck said, I'm so versatile say it without rhyme, which is without running this book. Me and Rick Rubens shout out to Rick robat we tried to do this. Nobody ever did this, and now let's talk about skills. I'm so versatile say it overbeat boosh boosh, gosh boosh boosh, got boosh boom boot I'm so versatile, say it without rhyme, which is why they're after me. And they're on my back looking over my shoulder to see what I write. They hear what I say, and they want to know why why they could never compete on this level. Superstar status is my domain. Understand my rhythm, my patterns of lectures, and then you'll know why I'm on the run. That one verse Trump's every generation. So how do you rate the season rhime? For the fact that they have when they're on the stage and when they're in that crowd. That's how you do it. See when Melley mel battled Eminem You know what I'm saying that the mal came out with that thing. Somebody said it sounds like somebody. Ai Mail's response to that. All male had to do was do you when I wanted? When? When Pete Rock produced us, Pete Rock produced Down with the King, Down, the eighties changed, eighty nineties changed hip hop. We was loved in Pioneers, but we wasn't in. What I'm trying to say is when Pete Rock, what Run the MC did for Aerosmith, y'all brought Aerosmith back. Steven Tyland, Joe pay Yes, I did the same thing that we did for Aerosmith, Pete Rock did for us. When now at the King we was. We wasn't participation, We wasn't on the chart, we was in the We wasn't on MTV you no more. So Pete Rock brings us back. When I remember going in that session with Pete Rock and he said, D you ain't gotta be M and M. You ain't gotta be jay Z, you don't gotta be cool Rock give me that DMC shit. So I was like, okay, he asked me, what are you doing right now? I'm taking the toys and raking the land and keep a hard caught because it's dope. Man. She's all the roughest, toughest words. And I wrote, damn not meant for a hole like a soul, Damn second suck up sez. So all male had to do when you talk about Ray and all male had to do is what he did on pump. Pumped me up to battle that. Don't try to flip it up, but I can't even move like, don't try to be what what? What? See? When I went to Rice, I realized what these kids. The celebration of hip hop wasn't a fifty year celebration it was. It was a goddamn lie. The celebration that we just had was the forty four year celebration of recorded rap because they set his Coolhork seventy three and they jumped to seventy nine. All the record making motherfuckers. They didn't talk about what I came in up, all the this and that and this, and you didn't hit you only no mo d from battling LLL you didn't him more with the Treacherous Three, who is just as dope as Scarface and just as dope as a drake. So how do you rate them? You can't rate them. You got to go and see what they do and put these motherfuckers in the class by themselves. Mail all had mel had to do them. M and M rappers might be willing, but they ain't able because I was dick king straight from my cradle, screamed in hollowod, shook my rattle, trimped out of defeating them all in battle. There was no food in my silver spoon. But I grew up hard, and I grew up soon. I'm a righteous king and I'm hungry too, and I eat a punkster rap like you. I met kid that's all meld to play game the fifty yard old. Now go in there and do what you I was sitting on the corner just to waste my time. When I realized it was the King of the rhyme, I got on the microphone, and what do you see? The rest was my legacy. I was born to be the king of this hip hop's thing. With stallions and medallions and diamond rings on a mansion in the yacht cool, million and gold. Because rap is the game that I control. I'm like Shakespeare. I'm a pioneer, and I made rap something people wanted to hear see Before I came, it was the same old thing with the baldy they do all that street call game. So if you ever let me make this clear, if you ever think that, I'm going out ahead. If you so, people ain't no mel from the record go to see I'm such a fan. I don't care. I don't care about you on your record. I'm not in hip hop as as look, I'm not scarface, I'm not nice. But for Scarface, Bumpy Knuckle and Koujie Rap to tell me, yo, d you're the best. You cut the head off the devil, and you can't rate it, you know what I'm saying. For them to tell me that, so you can't you can't rate it. So what run DMC did is this. Let me calm down.
Speaker 3: When you see this, doctor turn back to Bruce Bennett.
Speaker 1: I get excited about I gave you what Run DMC. We didn't create it. People go, we know hip hoplished before you, but you'll created No. Run DMC is the pioneers of recorded rap we took if you listen to Adidas, we took the beat from the street. As it was, everybody else was wearing tracksuits, everybody else was wearing Adidas, everybody else was wearing Gazelle's. Everybody else was kangos getting across sheepskins and up. We took the beat from the street. We took the culture from the street because of mt TV. We put it on TV for all a c That was our pioneering role. That's what we did. But Mel is just as dope as pun. Now, everybody would say, eminem Andre three thousand, what about Bunny? Yeah, absolutely, Nobody never puts him in the top five. This is gonna blow your mind. In the top five from just from Andre three thousand and Lauren Hill never had a rap verse. And what I mean by that is Emmine fans, jay Z fans, Run fans, everybody else can. UT's all right, Lauryn Hill and Andre three thousand never got it all right. Lauren Hill is in the top five of MC's And if you don't believe me, just go listen to what's out there available and tell me what dude is better than her? Now, no, I can't.
Speaker 3: She's though, I think the only thing they'll say about Andrey and Lauren is they didn't I don't agree with that with Andrey because he had the whole outcast catalog. But with Lauren, say, she didn't give us enough.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right? But no, all I'm saying is just listening to what she did. I'm just saying that you got tape from Harlem. You got tapes from Harlem World with Spoony g coming into the Christmas Wrap convention with every MC and New York. And he didn't come spit no love rap stuff. He said, tis tis appreciate this For some of you MC's are taking a risk trying to take him a chair, but these guys had that thing. So for me, when I came in, I knew I wasn't the best. I know, I wasn't mal I know I wasn't even running. But my thing was what was Spider Man do? What would the Hope do? What with the Thor? So my hope, My whole presence in hip hop was Now that I'm doing comic books, people said, I know why I like you now. Thor is the son of Odin from Asgard, has a brother named Lolai, and he has a hammer. I saw that, and I saw a hip hop dude, my old man at DMC can transform into the devastating my controller. My name is Daryl, I'm from Hollis. My father's name is excuse me, Byford, and I got a brother named Alfred, so I became son of Byford, brother of al Banner's my mother and run my palth it's McDaniels, not McDonald's. These rhymes are Darrel's, those Burghers are Ronald's. I ran down my family tree, so hip hop gave me away to be enthusiastic about who I am at whatever points in my life. I gotta ask.
Speaker 2: So when run DMC takes off, right in the world is looking at Run DMC. They're looking at these two black brothers on every TV screen.
Speaker 1: Brothers, brothers, did.
Speaker 2: Y'all understand the impact and how was your mental during that time because y'all were kids from Queen's from Hollis than now all of a sudden, YO were in every household, selling out.
Speaker 1: Sholds and concerts, and it was the scariest thing ever. It was the scariest thing ever. But we knew Jay Jay was funny. Jay's thing was yo. We gotta watch all to day. We gotta watch what we say. We gotta watch what we do. Let's say I sniffed more coke and the earth could put on the Earth running. Jason smoked more weed. I drunk a case of Old English today. But Yo, if they wearing glasses like Dan wearing had some tractions like us and Adidas like us, we can't be talking about you know what I'm saying. We knew we had a big influence, so that's why we was careful. So we had to figure out how could we be the hardest thing ever without being disrespectful, profane and still relate to these brothers and sisters in the streets. That's why I came up. Most of our records were rhyme routines. You know, col Crush had It's us. You know, it's us, the Cold Crush. You know the force some c's before they were to force some d's. We are called. You put to be steal a melody. Let's steal Let's steal all Anxion from from the New Year's Thing. Oh, let's steal Let's steal Bob Dylan melody. We would steal melodies and you would make it over the hip hop beast. So when we got to that point and everybody was saying, raps are fat, it's going to be a commercial. And you know, all the singers that hated us, not like the Ramones, not like lou Reed, not like Share, they loved this. I remember when we met Bond Joe, you guys are incredible. But the critics in the journalists and a lot of so caught real magicins hey this. So when I wrote It's tricky to rock a rhyme, I'm trying to tell you know, it's tricky to do. You this ain't easy. But to do that and maintain that level in this business that you're not accepting it. So for us, it was always a thing where okay, let's sit down. The first thing we have to do is when everybody's doing we're gonna do something different. So when everybody was doing music, we broke it down to sucking seas just beat. Everybody jumped to the beats. When everybody jumped to the beats, this is eighty four. When we put out the run ec hour, let's put out rock box, Let's put some guitars on it. It wasn't nothing knew why we didn't create rock rap, you know, create a rap rock rap? Who heard Grand Master Flash, Africa, Ban Botta, Graham, Wizard Theater and Charlie Chase Because in the crates of every DJ from seventy three to seventy nine was break, jazz, R and B funk disco. When disco got thrown away. I remember I was a kid. I woke up one day and ever the whole world was going Disco sucks and it was an overnight there. But hip hop said that shit ain't God. It does give it to us. But I realized in the crates Rush, Tom Sawyer was always in there. Walk this Way was in there. Me and ruders didn't know it was called Walk to Sway Aerosmith. We just knew get the album out with the toys and play number four, so we knew that this is what may run DMC so unique. We did what we was doing at twelve, thirteen, fourteen, and fifteen on record. Now, let me say this, that's because that's what meil. You know, everybody else was doing before us when they got into showbis. The greatest hip hoppers or so caught rappers in the history of rapping is everybody before recorded rap. But for them when they started making their records, the first rappers didn't have rappers to look up to. Now the flyers were meiling them with Sheepskins and Martinecks and God all my hats and Madiana. You know what I'm saying. The only one out of mely Meal that stayed that, the only one out of the first five that was like me running Jay was Cowboy. There's a couple of times Cowboy put on some little tassels, but he didn't put on that other stuff when they got into showbiz. When this hip hop thing that nobody believed in gets to show biz, now number one, they're changing their delivery, they're changing their presentation, They changed who they really are to fit in. So when they get into showbiz, they don't not have no rappers to look up to because they're the first one. So if you look at mal Africa, Bambada, if you look at Africa Bamboda and the Zulu nation so solid for us, they look like Parliament Funkadelic. If you look at Grandmass of Fashion, the first five mode in all them, they look like the sex Pistols, they look like the Rolling Stones, and they looked like Rick James because they in show. I'm talking about the showbiz arena. When me and Rome was coming in, we was like, we didn't hip hop, didn't let we hip the music business, didn't let hip hop come in for me and Run. In Jay's perspective, we bringing this hip hop shit to the music business because nobody does it. So when we stopped, when Russell let me, oh, circum season good, It's like the Russell's whole thing was you'll need wardrobe, you'll need wardrobe you So me and Ronman said, yeah, you're cool, but we ain't wearing that shit. Who y'all want to dress like the drug dealers or no, we want to dress like jam Master j and DJ Hurricane. Okay, let's talk about Andrew Jackson High School, ninth grade, tenth grade, and eleventh grade the way run DMC. Look, that's how jam Master Jay and Hurricane was going to school, the Black Godfather. Yes, well, what that happened was there's a couple of there's this picture of me and Run at the Fever. We all over the place, no coordination. Matter of fact, in my early first shows, I'm wearing pullmans. You're just didn't see my feet run out on the data. Is I I got. I had on black blue Pullmans with the white strike. But this is what happened. We get a gig at the Disco Fever. The first time that we were supposed to play the Fever, we pull up the Jay House. We didn't know about this thing called soundcheck, so we had to be at the Fever six thirty for soundcheck. Jay went to Jamake Avenue to get fly, so he missed the first show that run DMC, head of the Fever, DJ star Child, legendary DJ star Child job. He dj' for us. He DJ is like the circum Seeds. But the next time that we played the Fever, because after the Fever saw us, they know who run DMC was, but they didn't know. You know, yeah, I'm familiar with this DJ rung guy. So when we took to stage the Fever did this. Imagine the Fever's this sal Albaatello entry, ladies and gentlemen straight out of Queens. Run DMC and it's the Fever. Music is playing and stuff. DJ Junebug at the Beano. When we took to stage, you can't hear to turn the blen and you heard this, But then when that shit said boom tet t t t tet oh. That's who they are. So the fevers brought us back. This is how we found our look, our style and us sound. Because if you listen to Sucking Seas, run doesn't say j cut the record down to the bone. He says Dave cut legendary DJ dav D Curtis blows DJ who had more records than Africa Bambara. It's debatable. So we pull up to Jay's house for sound checking the fever. James, I A'm missing this one. We beat the horn. Jay comes out on his steps. He steps out the door. He got the black Adida jacket with the white stripes on. He got some black Lee's remember the flavor get on black leaves, held on brand new white Adidas with the blue stripe no lasers, and lasers was around his neck so his his tongues were sticking up, sticking up like tombstones. And he got the JVC four speaker box on. He got a little gold chain on, and he got the Godfather hat. He steps out onto his step. Larry Smith our producer's goals. He goes to otter yo, that's shit all we finished it, finished the form. That's our outfit. So when we put Jay in the group, it's me and Run made the record first. And when the records started getting hot, Russell Bulls, you got a DJ and runs a whole. I didn't think about that part. Jay was the best DJ in Hollis. So Jay gave us our look. And what was about putting Jade on. He's a member of the Hollis crew. So now we can go into all other roles. We can go into Connecticut, and we could go into Jersey and the stick up kids can't mess with us because his college crew is our backing.
Speaker 3: Now, listen, DMC is here because there's a new three part documentaries on Peacock Kings from Queens, the Run DMC story. So even though we get in all of this now, I still want you all to go watch it on Peacock.
Speaker 1: But while we're here, just.
Speaker 3: In depth on the Peacocks, very in depth, just for radio purposes, I want to ask you has Run DMC felt like Run DMC since the passing a damn message?
Speaker 1: No, not at all, not at all. People always say, oh, it could be an album and the tour and my joke, but they get it. This only way you could shut people up, Run DMC will tour when the Beatles get back together. You know what I'm saying, It can't happen now. When we do show up, it's not Run DMC, it's Reverend Running King DMC, the two members who used to be in that band Jay. It can't Run DMC don't exist without Jay. You know what I'm saying. If you want to know who Run DMC is, go back and look at all the videos. Listen to the red that's Run DMC, me and Run of the two surviving members of that band.
Speaker 3: And it's the same in this generation with the Migos, God Bless take off like you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you make the record is something weird. And the only way that Run MC could co exist as a group is a brilliant thing. And you know it's fifty years of hip hop. Where can we go now? So for Run DMC to exist, for me and Run to exist or artistically and creatively, we would have to reform a new band. If you look at David Grow, look look what the rockds do. Paul McCartney left the Beatles. He didn't try to keep the The Beatles legacy is untouchable, like Run DMC. But when Paul went sol, he start Paul McCartney and ring like I got a band. Now I do all my catalog live live drumming guitars. It's called DMC and the Hell Racers to give homage to Raising Hell. So if you look at Soundbard and Audio, they all Marph. You know what I'm saying. So hopefully hip hop will get to that. Will can we go? Now? Now we have to figure out how once you get into the stadiums, you got to figure out how do you keep the legacy going if you're still a cohesive man, or how do you continue on When you look at people that used to play for Crusby still young and Nash, when you look at when you look at Pink Floyd, the two dudes from the band, they do their own things. Maybe once in a while they'll show up. So if you see me and run you singing, oh shoot, Paul McCartney played with Ringo last night, so they answer your question. Charlotte may know, it's no run DMC without jam. That's a jay because every record is run DMC and jam. That's the jam. That's a j And And the funny joke is when we first started out. People thought we was an R and B group, and now check this out. When we first came out, we was playing a fever. We was playing all the roller skating rings, and he was playing all the clubs. But on the on the on the national scene, we was opening up for Lou Reed. We's opening up for Z's Top, We's opening up for Marvin Gate. We was opening up for Parliam and Funkindelik and I remember this era, we was opening up for the Gap Band comfunction in the Barcades. Here's a funny story. I don't know if I told this in the duct, but the funny story was we was opening that for the Gap Band, you know, Charlie and all of them, right right, So he's opening that. We had twenty minutes, so we would go out there for twenty minutes and bus ass like crazy. We would leave. They would be dog, don't leave, then come back for it. In the Gap Band, we'll go out to play. So we own a tour. In the beginning of the tour, the whole Gap band, the whole staff, the whole management, everybody that was part of the whole tour. Hey we we love you rap guys. And there was It was kind of like this, Oh we loved you, run DNJ, because you're not gonna be here in two years. This rap shit is gonna die whatever. So you have open access. Here's the hot food. You don't have to just eat the craft table. You could come in the green room, this and that. The bus is over here, here's the real good showers and stuff like that. All of a sudden, halfway through the tour were starting. Now you can't go over in the this is true. No y'all can't go over there. No, no, no, y'all over here. They put us in the broom closet. So one day and we're in the broom closet sitting and me running Jay say, this is me running Jay, the promoter and Charlie Wilson's manager, Charlie Wilson and the other guy from the Gap band. It coming out dressing room. So you're run. That's the MC. This is Jay, So it's the promoter. Knock on the broom closet to a boom boom. Can we speak to your guys? Okay, cool, promoter, manager, Charlie Wilson, the other guy from the Gap band. We'd like to talk to you about something Charlie Wilson run DMCJ is standing like this to us. Wow, Charlie, it's a fatal We loving every minute of it. Mad as a fuck. Excuse me, guys for the rest of the tour. We would like y'all to close the show you headline of money or you like y'all to close the show? Ain't that right? Yard, It's the funniest shit ever. He's like, yeah, that's right. We was bought because we ain't had no instruments. We had it, but nobody could flock with Jay come out by itself of some turnative ladies. Gentlemen, I'm jam as Jay run about now boom, don't you here call me, I'll come out check the micro No, they couldn't mess with us. So to ask me, did I see hip hop doing this? No? Why? Because I was doing it there and now you got the rest the capitalism herd of help hip hop it helped it. It's people's attitudes because what has happened when I hip hop Chean Lamagne, we have forsaken our responsibility. When you walk to that microphone, Derrick, I was doing this all day yesterday, this this, this, this documentary is gonna let you know, nine to nine point nine of the people say they hip hop ain't hip hop. Now, don't get me wrong, capitalism did this. I never thought that my culture that we brought to the entertainment industry could get dilute, they polluted, and destroyed. But now I realize, from reading and studying how things go over the generations, and even from my own situation, anything that's sacred and holy to a culture or a group of people would get diluted, polluted, and destroyed once it's commercialized. Now that's a good thing. But what has happened now is I never thought. Now, don't get me wrong, goat understand what I'm saying. Aim When you look at music, Let's say Sheryl Crow, for instance, who's huge, sells a stadium, sells records in that or she she don't even need electronics. All she need is an acoustic guitar and she could perform in front of ten people of ten thousand people. Britney Spears, on the other hand, love her, love great artists, but she needs a writing, she needs a quiry and this and that that. I never thought hip hop would have that. So what capitalism has done is the money has come in and you can tell me this is what's going on. There are artists who are in the recording business that hip hop is now in recording raps over music for the purpose of success in the music industry. That's not hip hop. As Tretch in KG, hip hop is you gotta have a DJ turntables mix it. The DJ's part of the whole Creazio MC's you making that on records. So now you got people rapping over music, selling records. That's not hip hop. For whatever your opinion about it. I relate to mumble rap because they said I was mumblem but I just showed them I don't mumble only nobody's doing that right now. But whatever your opinion of this is, people are doing what they're gonna do to survive in the music business. That's cool. But Eric Sermon has been saying this for the last twenty years. No disrespect to all of these great artists, but don't call that shit hip hop. What the music business has done to sell ignorance, disrespect, degrading, low grading, asinine, comp concepts, images, and content is they'll take a piece of shit, label it hip hop just to sell it. That's what's happening. Eric Sherman, he said this. They should have called it something else. It should have been a different name, because these artists ain't doing what mal Or rock Him's doing. I'm taking me out of depicsion. I'm talking about people that I looked, that came after me, that I look up to. So the capitalism didn't hurt anything. It's the attitude of the people because of the success. Now, don't get me wrong. The proof is in the pudding. You got artists that will in your face and say, I don't do this for the coach. You're doing for the money. That's cool. It's no different matter. Yeah, yeah, and that's cool. That's cool. So my thing is this fifty years of hip hop. What we have to do as a community of people globally is put shit in perspective and take back our hip hop and place it where it's supposed to go represented as the way it's supported. There's nothing wrong with you talking about your gun. This has nothing to do with censorship and freedom of speech. You can talk about whatever you want. But for me coming to see what was going on before me, seeing run DMC did and seeing what we inspired after that, here's the mind blowing thing. When you look at this documentary, everybody from ice Cube to Chuck the Public Enemy and everybody in between. What's interviewed talking about Jermaine Duprix, Eminem very diverse and stuff like that. Everybody who is interviewed for this documentary about Run DMC. Who's talking about Run DMC. Everybody sounds and looks different. All of them are top tier artists, but not one artist sounds the same, raps the same, or even uses the same music. So when I look at that, I'm like, wow. So people are saying, look at what your girl gave birth to. No, no, no, no, I'm over here with them. We're looking at what everybody before nineteen seventy nine, when when raps started selling records gave birth to. So when I'm looking at this documentary, I'm not looking at my accomplishments. I eard my accomplishments from day one. Yo. That's sucking sea shit. Nobody talked to ours about sem seas asking what's the greatest thing that happened in the p oh that thing? But when I'm looking at this, Run would always say this to me and Jay before j passed away. Yo. You know what's crazy, man. Everybody got the experience to run DMC phenomena except us, because we don't more the ones doing it. Now, I can look and know that I'm not better than Ice Que, I'm not better than chucking this, and that I am them, and what I mean by that. I was telling people that that saw the doc already yesterday. I said, take money MC out there crazing up this documentary, Ice cue Eminem and all of them, take our names and word it's out our recognition out their mouths. Every artist sitting it was actually sitting there talking about themselves. Everything run DMC did was never for run DMC, was for our coach.
Speaker 2: They got to go, They got another interview, but you know you gotta come back because we gotta have a long conversation.
Speaker 1: I know you have to go. I'll come back with more cookies, with more cookies. I just got to ask you one more question. I know you said it drink on Drink Champs.
Speaker 2: Yes, was run DMC supposed to be in the call with Tupac the ninety Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many people, so many people was like, yo, dude, here's what happened. We get a call from Sugar Night they wanted us run DMC to perform at the app What was the name of the club in Vegas, the six club that they own, the Sugar, Yes in Vegas or we get a call. This is when the LECSA first opened, when it was fly was what Sug's putting up. So we come into Vegas and Sugar add So he goes on. Shug comes in with one hundred people into the lobby to lets her to make sure that we are So we get in our room, say that evening. Shug calls, Damn Eric, he's been with me for the thirty year. Shug says, Yo, me and Pak are coming to get the guys. Pop wants y'all to ride with him to the show and to the after party. Now cool, Now, I've seen a lot of comics on it. That's what somebody else said. Now, maybe we'd have got the thing and we would have said no, we'll meet you other whatever, But that was the order because they were treating us like so much. When we got to La Poc, Shug and all of the Death Row they were looking at us like we were fucking gods and they wanted to impress us. So what happened was Eric calls, No, Shug calls to come pick us up. This is true story and this it's a beautiful jam mass to Jay's story. Sure, goes Eric, I'm coming to get the guys now. He caught early and said Pap wants you to cool. So he calls An says Eric, I'm coming to get the guys. Right. Eric gos Nah, Sug, Y'll go by yourselves. We'll meet y'all there later. We'll meet you all at the after party later. And Sug goes, why in the true story this you're gonna laugh? Eric goes, because jam Master Jay is getting dressed now. People want to hear this, and everybody that was close to Jay's police Yo, because Jay would do this, all of the flies flows in the world. Charlamagne with you. This was your job for the next three hours. What about That's what was going on. So that's why we didn't ride. At least we might have been in the car with the gunshots because pop pop. There was no way Jay and Park ain't ride into the after Jane was that dude, So maybe I mean run we something else. But Jay might have been in the car. Let me rephrase that what I said on dress j would have done. But the reason why and you can talk talk to Kane asking you. He told me the stories that Kane will say. Jay will keep you there for he will try on Gucci leather, this and that, sneakers shoe. Yo, that's why we didn't even get a car with Wow. So love I love you Jay.
Speaker 3: I know you gotta go, But do you feel like I feel like there's a whole era of hip hop, in particular the eighties era that isn't getting this just due, but it's actually earlier than that. So it feels like the origin story of hip hop isn't being told.
Speaker 1: I've never heard our problem right now, fifty years of hip hop, we just getting started. Yes, we prove we could sell records. There are so many stories that we need to be telling now that can change our communities, our representation in all of these places of business. Check it out in four years. There are so many stories. What if y'all want to know something forget run the MC's documentary. I don't care about that. Go get La Sunshine's book. Go get La Sunshine's book. From the Trench, Charlemagne, you hit it right on the head. Now we need to have more stories in Hollywood to tell and here's the fun thing that run DMC documentary's gonna show. We still ain't touched the pinnacle musically. We still ain't touched the Pinnacle music. All of these artists now, excuse me, all of these artists now young and old. Now's the time to start having the Wall and Sergeant Pepper and Dark Side of the Moon I'm talking about. That's where we're at right now. Right now, I am the Four Tops of my generation, like the Four Tops and the temptations with my mother and father, didn't race it. And another thing, just to let your young people out there know, do not get it twisted as well about me Chuck d Big Daddy Kane and a couple of others. I speak at high schools and elementary schools all the day and I tell kids this, don't you get it twisted. The more you do something, the more you tell kids when you get that video game that first day you hated my son threw his controller and broke the hundred thousand dollars TV set, you know, I mean, what's your problem? Give it some time. I tell the kids. By the end of the week, you getting high scores, you might not hear me on the radio them all. You might not see me on MTV. No, moll, you might not see me in social media too much. But I tore three hundred and sixty five days of all over the world. I was at high school me because I was a high school. This young dude trying to dish you'll run DMC, You, mister DMC, that old school stuff is over. You guys are over, and I said, thank you. Huh. The whole auditorium was like, what do you mean. I said, thank you. You're just speaking some more truth in than me. I'm gonna be so great. And he was like, he's trying to dis I said, yes, I just came over from England last week and I'm getting ready to go over to Singapore. You should have seen the high school thing. So what I'm trying to say is old I'm in with this old school. It's not a time period you just said it. It's not a time period, It's a consciousness. You want to know what old school is. Old school is an attitude. Old school is an attitude meaning you know, were gonna getting new. We got you as a DJ. The only thing the hard drive does is you don't have to carry that thousand records you want to play, that's right, But you still get to play the thousand records, right, you know what I'm saying. So we the old school guys have to embrace the change of everything, but you don't have to change who you are to fit in. You need to just show up and do what you gotta do. Some of the top selling tours is that's right, old jeezy rolling Stones, AC, DC, this and that, and they just out there doing that thing. And what happens with this new generation. I was in Cleveland performing at this event with all the older rappers and the DJ's playing all the new music. So I'm performing and I got thirty minutes, right, thirty minutes to prove I'm worthy. Right. So the whole time, the young crowd, you know, they eighteen to twenty two, they doing this my whole show, not moving once, So I don't care. I'm going to They doing this the whole show, about seventeen of the whole no movement at all. Finish cool, get on stage, come out with a dress to Who's waiting for me? Yo? My dad told me, man, but I never seen it. I never experienced it. And they tell me this, Yo, d I said, thank you. They said, yo, oh hey, you put it down harder than the youngins because they saying DMC at fifty five years old. But I'm acting like the twelve year old kid that was in his room writing around, trying to be like Flash in the first five That thing never changed. So to answer your question, capitalism didn't destroy nothing. We got a lot of people that we need to move from those places of position because I'm not get your money, but we don't need you on the front. You know what I'm saying. It's about an attitude. I remember keros One said one day, yeah, I want to check. Yes, you you're crazy. But then he said this. I said, wow, the teacher said this. He said, my first responsibility is that audience. So when you see this run DMC documentary, you're gonna see Durmain, You're gonna see m see Light, You're gonna see Eminem, You're gonna see Ice Cubes say this. Ice Cubes said, and I ain't gonna give it away now. February first, I DC story the docum series.
Speaker 2: Check it out Thursday, February first, on Peacock.
Speaker 1: And we appreciate you. We appreciate you, Thank you for having me here. I saw you'll have Grandmaster Flashes in the building. See y'all are hip hop. Y'all a hip hop. The other people is just radio stations. Y'all a hip hop. Your being appreciate while you're doing everything else. Appreciate that up, man. It's the Breakfast Club. It's DMC. Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.