Speaker 1: In a world where information overload can cloud judgment, one platform stands out in the intelligence landscape. Meet five cast, the future of data driven decision making. Five cast is not just software, it's your strategic advantage. Using advanced analytics, it turns vast amounts of data into actionable insights, ensuring that security and defense professionals stay ahead of the curve, from identifying threats to predicting trends. Five cast empowers you with the intelligence you need when you need it. Trusted by global organizations, it's the tool for those who refuse to settle for the ordinary. Are you ready to transform your data into decisive action? Visit fivecast dot com now and step into a world of clarity and foresight.
Speaker 2: Foot for us.
Speaker 3: If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft Web Radio Special Operations, Military Nails. I'm straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 1: Hi, welcome to another wonderful episode of soft rep Radio. I'm your host rad as always, and it's another beautiful year. We're in the year twenty twenty four and we've made it all the way this far. I just want to say thank you, and I couldn't have done it without you listening. You know, you guys go to the merch store which is at soft reap dot com, forward Slash Merch, and we've got new stuff coming in all the time, and we just really appreciate you buying our branded items, you know with softwarep software radio, and just keep doing that. Totally stoked. The other thing is our book club. We're totally pushing that full steam ahead. We have a lot of quality books inside of our book club. So if you'll please go to soft reap dot com, forward Slash book hyphen Club will check out our book club. Get involved. You know, Brandon Webb is just putting a great library together for you to enjoy, So go and check it out. Now. A lot of times I have people on who have been there, you know, served in the military. I have today a special guest who works in the private sector. Okay, and Abby will for her as Abigail or we'll go with Abby. Abby will say Abby, we'll keep the last name to d She's a military brat, her father was military. She's worked private sector, master's degree in public policy from University of Virginia, so she's got credits on what we're about to talk about. We're going to get into national security talking about you know, company like five Cast, which she has currently transitioned into to work with. And so I just want to welcome you to the show. Abby, Welcome, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. And I really like hearing about the book club. I'm gonna have to check that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good time. I mean, if you like to read a book and you want to read, and I encourage everyone to read all books, ban books, any book. Just pick up a book and read a book. It's good for the brain. It's a you know, it's like a gym. You go to the gym for your body. You need to work your brain. You know. My daughter in math class was like, why do I have to do this hard math? It's like, what in your business, dad, do I use this math for? And I asked her teacher at her parent teacher conference and she said, Rad, it's not so much that the math is used every day, it's that it's using your brain to figure out the math. And I was like, oh, tooche touchee. So let's use our brains, okay, Let's let's be that of this world. Let's be good stewards and with that abby. You know, I mentioned that you're a military brat, you know, and again, welcome to the show. What branch of the service was your family in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so dad was army, just recently got out, And yeah, I call myself an army brat, which basically just means I cling onto the coattails of my dad's service. But I just got the benefits of getting to move around and getting to see and experience a lot of different things that I don't think the average person gets the chance to do. So I got to live overseas, got to move around the country a lot. It was a really great experience. So yeah, I grateful for that.
Speaker 1: Right. A lot of the gate guards say can I see your ID, ma'am, and you're like right here, military coming through, no problem, healthy, Like this is my base exactly, it's my base. I'm a skateboard all over this place. You can't stop me. I got an ID card, you see this.
Speaker 2: That was like a big moment in my young life and like I'm finally old enough for the dependent ID.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I remember going, we're gonna get your picture now, ten eleven years old, to get your but my mom and dad always held onto it they're like, uh yeah, we're gonna hold onto this with it. But yeah, right, exactly. Well, my dad was in the army. He was a former Green Beret. That's his flag on the mantle above the fireplace. So when you're a military brat, I'm a military brat, you know, and so it bonds us. I'm sure someone listening right now is a military brat. You know, what do they call him? Over in England? They call him h oh, they have a whole different name. I'll think about it here in just a minute if I don't remember, someone post up what the British called the military brats over there. They're like bunker brats. It's something different. But anyways, so here you are, and you know, going where dad goes, right, dad serving the country recently got out probably like you said, And now you're how old when you decide that you know, college is for you and you're going to chase this you know, public policy masters? How old were you did that? Just go straight from high school to you know, to college?
Speaker 2: Straight? Yeah, straight from high school into college. And I yeah, probably the geekiest kid in high school. I was like, I don't even want to stay here for the full four years. I'm just gonna leave high school at the end of my junior year, heads straight to UVA, and then I really like college. I stayed there longer. I stayed there for five years and I got my masters, so I hung around there so I could geek out a little bit. But I was interested in international affairs, foreign affairs, and I studied that as well as German. And then I got my master's in public policy through the Baton School, which is a fantastic program, and it really educates you on all the fundamental tools that you need to make policy. So you're talking about math earlier and you're like, when am I going to use this? You feel that way sometimes when you're in like the soft sciences, and the Baton School was like, no, no, no, you still have to maintain all of these hard skills because you're going to need them when you actually get to the policy making. So I really like the program.
Speaker 1: It was super cool, right, A lot of gym therapy for your brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 1: Different kit I use my Texas instruments, calculator right now, Do I really have to do this? Yes, yes, just do it. It was a struggle to do it right Yeah, just get it done. Because you're so proud of yourself for finishing your schooling. I could see it already and you smile. You're like, five years college was chill. It is a little bit different than going through the high school phases. But as someone who's in the middlelitary and you're moving around, your schooling probably was broken up here and there, friendships were broken up, and now you're this place and now you're that place. So really it's commendable to, you know, move through that process and get your degree. So congratulations on that. Now, thank you. Did you go straight to where you're at from college? How did you wind up at five Cast? Right, we're going to talk about five Cast because it's a pretty interesting company that you're with and they're also huge, huge supporter of software. But I'm not gonna lie about that, Kay. You guys have been supporting us and on board and the ship and we row it together, and so I was like, why don't we just have you on abby tell us all about it, right, it's the truth. Yeah, go ahead, let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were super excited to be involved with you guys and get the chance to support you all. And then of course if I get a chance to talk in front of a bunch of people, that's always fun.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Jump off that. But I pretty much since I graduated from UVA, I've been in and supporting the national security space. I think the whole time I was studying, I was interested in diplomacy and national security, and I left thinking I was going to be some sort of policy maker or involved in supporting policy making. And I actually left, and I was waiting for a job, and I started in an internship and I got to do some really neat work with open source intelligence in that internship, and it sort of ruined me for any other career. I was like, this is the coolest thing since slice spread. I get to actually work with intelligence. I get to actually support people who are working, living, breathing the mission, and I can make a difference. And I'm looking at real life data here, I'm not just writing about the theory of it, which is what policy felt like to me. And so ever, since I stuck out of academia and started working, as soon as I got a taste of working with intelligence, solving those real world problems and actually feeding people information that could help them make the right decision I didn't want to do anything else. So I've been doing open source intelligence in the private sector since I left school. I've been doing that for quite a while now, and I've primarily been working in the technology portion of open source intelligence. So I've had the unique opportunity of not only collecting intelligence, but actually supporting the technology that helps analysts access data, interpret data, and ultimately get to the assessments that they're making. So I've always been kind of on the tech side of things, which has been really interesting, kind of a different, different side of osent than I think most people see.
Speaker 1: Right, And so with ost you know, okay, so open source intelligence, right, I hear that to a lot of guests that are into human you know, human intelligence, Right, They're going after all these different acronyms, right and OCENT. So what is it exactly and how is it used? And why is it important in the job that you're doing for you know, over for this tell.
Speaker 2: Me, Yeah, so open source intelligence. You actually just asked a question that's kind of a hot debate among the community of OCENT because applying it has become pretty challenging in the past ten years or so. But open source intelligence is all about the intelligence assessment of publicly available information. And publicly available information is anything that is readily publicly accessible data to the average person, and publicly available information nowadays is largely consumed through the Internet. So you see a lot of people conflict open source intelligence with just the Internet. So you see a lot of OCENT analysts are really just passed with getting their arms around the entirety of the Internet, which is really challenging and basically impossible. And then not to mention that it includes things like publications like this, like a podcast or a broadcast, news media, hard copy paper, publications of data or information. So yeah, OCENT is anything that someone without specialized access could get their arms around or could get access to. And nowadays it's just conflating with digital intelligence really.
Speaker 1: So's what's hot right now where everybody has captured themselves, you know, going after like the Capitol on January sixth, and they filmed themselves and then they uploaded that, yeah, themselves, So that would be OCENT where it's like public domain info of what you want. They're like think, you're like, hey, there is thanks for filming you going through the Capitol and putting it up on the internet. Yeah, And now it's public domain and you can just filter it and just and that's how they're I mean, really, I can imagine that's just one example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one example of publicly available information. And I think one of the biggest difficulties in open source intelligence is trying to communicate how valuable it can be. So you kind of hit the nail on the head, like, oh, that's an example of how I as insert agency or insert official could use open source intelligence. And we're seeing it nowadays with January six, but also with the conflict in Ukraine that was actually able to support a lot of force protection and even just basic awareness of like order of battle going on in Ukraine, so understanding what units are operating in Ukraine in Russia, what people are these saying sending there, what resources do they have access to that? And now we're seeing it again in Israel and Gaza as well. There's a lot of information that's spreading throughout typically the Internet, that's spreading rapidly through the Internet and open source data and is providing critical insights to really anyone that's responsible for security safety or if you know they're part of the military, if there are military efforts in those spaces they could benefit from those real, live pieces of data that might affect the decision making that they're making on the ground.
Speaker 1: So right, because I mean like you mean, they showed the attack that happened in Israel or October seventh was like on social media right right there was like this is what they came in on. People had this the cameras out at the festivals and they were able to capture all of this intelligence right there, real time data, and we want to believe it's the real time data. Okay. I'm not saying that that situation is anything that didn't happen. I'm just saying that when you're taking these photos or you're seeing this intelligence, that's where you have to come in and you have to start to like really play, like you get to decipher it, right mean, like it could be put out there to be found mm hmm yeah right, oh now you have Now there's the narrative, or it could be out there because it's organically real, Okay, because somebody on a wave runner had their cell phone or GoPro when an explosion happened, and then that's you know, yeah, yeah, holy yeah, you know, I never really you know, you know, we don't really think of it like we're putting ourselves out there so much to be investigated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, and getting into you, you mentioned you know why did I end up at five Casts, And it's because I've I've worked in the space of ultimately protecting people for a really long time and helping people make good decisions in order to protect average citizens or global citizens really, and open source data just plays such a unique role because essentially there's this plethora of data that everyone is capturing sharing online and to actually make use of it, you need to have either some sort of tradecraft or technical capability to help interpret that. And the reason I ended up at five cast is because five cast develops open source intelligence solutions and one of my former jobs, I was responsible for evaluating open source tooling and I actually five Casts came across my desk and I was like, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen. How does everyone not have this because all of the rapid decision making and all of this really important work that's being done to protect people and protect our country. I was like, what do you mean this isn't in people's hands yet. That's actually how I ended up podcast because I was supposed to be evaluating this tool, which I did, and I reached out to one of the co founders. Feels like, if you ever make it to the US, you tell me the second you make it there, because I would love to work with this company, and I've been there ever since.
Speaker 1: Where's Pivecast? Where'd they come from? Australia?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Fivecast is headquartered in Adelaide, Australia.
Speaker 1: But yet they have a worldwide commitment to security. Correct is that one? I understand? There?
Speaker 2: Worldwide commitment and we pretty uniquely service primarily the Five Eyes community. The Five Eyes community is just kind of an intelligence partnership between a lot of English speaking nations, So New Zealand, Australia, Canada, the UK, the US. You know, all of these countries they fit into this space and they're sharing intelligence, they're sharing methods, techniques in order to protect one another, and we uniquely service that. So we have offices in Australia, in London and in the US. So I'm based out of our Arlington office in Virginia.
Speaker 1: Do you ever get to go to London?
Speaker 2: I did. Yeah, they're kind enough to send you there.
Speaker 1: We love that. Yeah, yeah, kind five casts, like they used to go back so kind, so kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah I got to Yeah, I got to be involved in helping the UK team sort of get their feet under them as they were setting up the office, which was really neat. And now they're you know, fully functioning office. They're off and running, which is super cool. And just this past year I got the chance to head out to Australia as well and meet all these people that I've been working with for like four years that are developing all these really neat solutions. So yeah, I would say we we have a commitment to protecting global communities and we pretty meekly are situated within the five Eyes community, which is super important just from a partnership perspective. So yeah, that's it's a pretty exciting place to be.
Speaker 1: Let me ask this a question, who would use five cast? Like who would you put five Who would who would need five cast? Right? We're talking national security here, but like, really explain that to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five gasts. So we have a couple of different solutions, but our primary users would be intelligence analysts and or investigators. So if you have some need, and this is how I pitch it to people who are just learning about fodcasts for the first time, I tell them, do you care about people talking online? Do you care about what's being said online? Then you need five casts because we give you a unique tool to be able to access online communications and begin deciphering them in the context of either your next intelligence product or your next case that you're working on. So investigators intelligence analysts typically, but we find ourselves in unique spots where someone just needs they care about what is being said online from a security in front perspective, and they need five casts.
Speaker 1: Go find five casts at the website fivecast dot.
Speaker 2: They go to fivecasts dot com, they can check our products there.
Speaker 1: Let's talk a little bit more about this five cast. So would I be able to use five casts to see who's looking at my Instagram profile?
Speaker 2: So five casts is built for and we actually have improved use cases. It's built for certain agencies, typically public agencies that have the authorities, legal authorities to look at data for security. So like an average person me just curious about what's on social media, I wouldn't be able to use five casts. But if I have the mission to look at online data in order to understand a threat, in order to pick up certain risks, then I would be able to use five casts. So five casts is something that we set up for teams to use, typically intelligence or collection teams or investigative teams. So typically our users fall within defense, national security, law enforcement, private sector security entities. So there's a lot of there's a lot of pressure place on the private sector too to protect their supply chains, to protect their day to day operations, their employees, so we help with that as well. And of course there are national security threats to private sector entities right from an insider threat perspective, from IP protection.
Speaker 1: That's intellectual property perty talking about exactly right.
Speaker 2: So anybody that falls kind of within those types of agencies would have the ability to use five casts.
Speaker 1: I see, I see. Okay, So well that's a cool company, cool place to work at, and they send you to London. Software sends me to London. I can't complain about that, okay, very kindly of you, Brandon and the team. We go over there to do boxing each year, and then you know, we had the great COVID Yeah, and it kind of like nipped it in twenty nineteen. We were supposed to go over in twenty twenty oh and then you know, we've done like three or four years of it up until from twenty sixteen till then and then COVID hit and kind of like just stopped the world and everything's just starting to you know, grease back to movement, you know everything. It's just like I mean here in Utah, that's where I'm out of It's it's everybody's just trying to still, I think, shake it off. You know, we have no not to quote Taylor Swift, but it's true. You know, it's like, can we just shake it off already, get back to functioning like we were, you know, going to concerts where we were just like right next to each other. And you know, that's starting to come back to the world. So I can only imagine that intelligence is just getting out of control as well, with everybody just back to society, and you know, all sorts of pings are going off on the internet with like you said, involving maybe Gaza and Israel and you know, Iran and all these different places. They got cell phones, they're posting stuff up and that's being read and watched. You know, it's in Ukraine, right, how many of these young kids in their twenties over there are fighting the war, are tech savvy and they're just like using their drones and they're filming. Yeah, it's getting uploaded exactly right.
Speaker 2: And I think you bring up an interesting point about specifically open source intelligence during COVID, COVID lockdown and again M five casts and OSENT, Like, if you care about people talking online, that's when you start caring about this. How did people connect and communicate and operate when they couldn't do it in person? They moved to digital spaces, they moved online. So OSIN actually became one of the most critical sources in my opinion, because that's where people could commune cap that's where they could collaborate, especially like listed activities. That's where a lot of their efforts were shifting. And if you didn't have some sort of ability to look into that, then you were missing and you had huge gaps in your intelligence products. So yeah, COVID affected the intelligence space too, and it's affecting you know, what's going on in the world obviously, but even just from like an analyst perspective, knowing where to look and what's going to affect your products or investigations that you're conducting. Yeah, OCINTH became kind of came into the center I think of where people realized they had to look, is, oh, everyone's communicating online now, not that they weren't doing so before, but it's especially important because they don't always have the means to do that in person. So, yeah, ocean like went through then too, all.
Speaker 1: The zooms, right, everybody started to do all these you know, like how we're doing these interviews. I used to be in a studio and there was a mic situation and had a guy in there that was producing and doing it all right there, and you'd come in and I'd have like three or four guests in a day, and you would come in and we'd do hour long episodes and then cut them, cut them, cut them. I changed my shirt a new day, change my shirt new day. You know. That's that's that's changed to this type of dynamic where we're relying on the internet and I'm glad I get to reach out and talk to somebody who is on the other side of the country or the world and and connect and I'm glad for this technology to be there. But I remember people hacking the meetings that these companies had with their yeah, exactly, and all of a sudden you got someone listening in who has not signed a non disclosure agreement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, you know, and it's like wow.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, there's so much to think about that as going on. And I know, I put myself out there right and you're you're standing up in front of the microphone. Put yourself out there right now. And you know, we discussed before the show, Hey, if you don't want it out there on the internet, don't say it, because it goes out there on the internet. I mean, this is real, right, And so my listener out there, if you don't want to set on the internet, don't say it on the internet because it'll stick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. And I think, yeah, open source intelligence, especially digital intelligence rights, we're talking about things that appear on the Internet. Social media becomes pretty important in that space because that's how people are connecting, communicating, interacting, meeting new people, learning about their interests, and ultimately that's where a lot of really rich intelligence comes from. And I think when you start talking about social media and where that came about, which was what early twenty teens a little bit before, there's been so many changes to how information is following and I think around then. Nothing was moderated or understood, and there was really interesting stuff that people were like, Oh, it's on social media, nobody's ever going to see this, And it turns out that yeah, people will see that, and sometimes it would be like a key piece of information for someone's security or safety or an operational decision that you're making on the ground around then. So, for example, you could find out where different terror groups were moving operating, who they were getting resources from pretty early on. Groups are getting more savvy now in how they communicate, but that doesn't mean that it's not out there and kind of five casts. Whole mission and whole capability is about being able to get and access and interpret those spaces and those critical pieces of information where they're out there in the public domain. So yes, if it's to the general public, if you don't have something out there, don't say it. But if you're a criminal, please post because it's really great when I can, I can help.
Speaker 1: Don't they say criminals are dumb, Yeah, because they're criminals. No, Like they usually leave some type of like you know, Shaggy and Scooby Doo. Yeah, it was mister so and so at the amusement park look, you left the sandwich.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, they think they get away with it. Or even this guy recently who they just attributed to like three missing women even though he's dead. Technology today can go now and figure things out that it couldn't then and give these women closure for this guy, you know, never having closure for the families, et cetera. It's like technology is just crazily expanding and with the world of AI out there right and and that you guys have to be completely you know, all these chat bots and all these different bots and all these different like, hey, tell me how to write a contract about rent and boats, and it brings up like what you should have for a boat rental. But you got to think the words that they're taking from all of that information it's gathering, the chat gp, these chat bots and all this AI's gathering all this information just like a human would be doing it, right, But I think a human has If you have only AI talking to AI, you know it's not going to work. You have to have human interaction to control the AI's flow of information. Otherwise AI is just going to repeat itself to itself at some level.
Speaker 2: I think not so much with chat GPT. I think that's oh man, that's a whole can of worms. We could probably talk about that for the whole session.
Speaker 1: We'll let New York Times handle that because they have something to say about that right there.
Speaker 2: But you bring up AI and I think it's so important, and it's something that at five casts we have a whole team dedicated to just figure out new and interesting ways to analyze data to raise to the four the most relevant content, right, the most important things that investigators and analysts would want to find in data. And the reason that AI is so critical is because the amount of data and the variety of ways it can appear online that we have nowadays, and just the rate at which it's being generated. You'll hear people talk about the three v's a lot in O sense, like velocity, variety, volume. Yeah, like that amount of data that's appearing. If you sat down a bunch of intelligence analysts and just said you have to consume all the data, interpret all the data, and put out all these reports, they'd be stuck at stage one a lot of the times because they're just sitting there trying to find, you know, where is that one piece of data where criminal left that bread crumb that you're talking about. They have to consume so much of that information to get to that point. And ultimately, analysts are hired because they have these giant brains and they're able to make these connections and able to make really critical assessments about why this information is important and why decision makers should know about it, and you want their big brains working on that problem ninety percent of the time, right, And unfortunately, I think a lot of the time investigators analysts are just sitting there, like, how do I access all this billions and billions of bits of data that exists out there? And they're stuck spending ninety percent of their time just trying to access the content. And unfortunately, you.
Speaker 1: Try to art to make a macro to just push a button. Yeah, I have a macro on my five cast. Have a macro. I just hit it and it pulls it all up. I had to put it together, but it's just a one button macro.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's the way you see tools like five casts becoming so critical in this space because not only are threats developing at this crazy rate, data is developing at this crazy rate. Criminals are getting smarter every single day, and if you can't consume data and make assessments at that same rate, you're going to fall behind at some level. So when we start introducing tools to automate things that the analyst is doing, and we start introducing AI to help the analysts arrive at the most relevant data for their assessments, I think you end up really getting to the point of a company like Fivecasts, which is we build solutions to hyper enable an analyst. We don't want to replace analysts. We don't want to replace investigators intelligence officers. We want to give them the tooling so that that ninety percent of their time can be spent all the big brain stuff you know AI, talking to AI, you talked about chat, GBT, you talked about all these things. If you had, you know, computers doing everything, you miss this critical component of judgment and decision making and being able to draw these really disparate relationships and conclusions that analysts are able to do because of their expertise. All we want to do is we don't want computers doing everything. We want to create solutions that makes their job as easy as possible and then lets them spend the majority of their time on the most important stuff, which is Okay, here's billions of pieces of data, here's the ten most important pieces of data. What I care about? And now what does this mean and how do I communicate this to my leadership so that we can make important tactical, operational, strategic decisions so or solve our case or make an arrest, whatever it might be. So that's yeah, you hit the nail on the head. AI is just that and automation, I think are all about the analysts. At the end of the day. We just want them to be able to do their job best as they can.
Speaker 1: Right, how many of us have ever had like an auto email that left your like you know your name, your number, your hours, you're in the office, you know at the bottom of you know your you know you sign your signature. Yeah, I mean it's just like we that's just like helps us to have to not type that, right, it's like one less thing for me to type. I can just fill out the email, send it and it's already pre populated at the bottom. When I say macros, if my listener doesn't know what a macro is, it's like it's a shortcut. It's like a keystroke shortcut that somebody learned how to make a macro out of a program on the computer, and they just hit the letter control F and it like does this whole spreadsheet and pulls in all of this data that they spend some time to build. But now it's because they don't want to have to keep doing that same thing over and over and over and over again. It becomes redundant and monotonous. And then you start to like, I don't want to do this no more. I wish there was a faster way. And then that macro, which would be five cast, is your macro in those agencies. I would think that you guys would be the macro button that an agency would want to reach out to you and say, hey, can you come help us? And then you guys have all the people who make the macros if you will, you know, these shortcuts and these spreadsheets and these algorithms and aggregate things in meetings, and you know, have all these whiteboard conversations about hopefully I'm just assuming, right, And so yeah, sounds like you guys are the kind of I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I like that the macro makers of ocent.
Speaker 1: That's five cast, that's five cast. Yeah, you know, you want a simple way. Yeah, you want to have a auto reply on your email that you're on vacation, or you want to reply every single time.
Speaker 2: And I think something that really drew me to five casts is that you talked about, like, you know, these whiteboard conversations and trying to solve the problem of I don't want to do this no more like the signature. The reason I really enjoyed five casts is it's a company of people who are doing that every single day. They're like, what what are our analysts struggling with today? What do they have to do over and over and over again that we can save them time from doing? Or what is this really challenging piece of data that they can't even access unless they have some sort of solution, Or what's this really challenging bit of analysis that they want to do and it's not possible unless there's a tool to help them do it. We have a whole team, like the majority of five Casts is made up of engineers, data scientists just doing that the macro making that you describe. We're just sitting there like, you know, my role, I'm a tradecraft advisor. I lead our tradecraft team in the US, and I like to think of us as just communicating the really cool things that our data scientists and our developers are doing day and day out, and that is they're just sitting there scratching their head about what is making the analyst sic Today and let's try and remove that from their day to day tasks. So, yeah, that's a lot of what five cast does.
Speaker 1: How to make it better and better and better because they get it to a simplistic way to figure things out, and then how do they make that even more simplistic and how do they make that even more integrated with another feature that can just pull in that data to maybe give you three of the things you need in one macro button versus the one macro. I love that concept of just the growth. And you guys have an ever changing evolving mindset, right, you have to everybody's like working and just getting it done and trying to figure out what analysts need. So you guys have to have like probably four former detectives and like analysts working for you to like give you this insight. Right, you guys are like, it can't just be me x skateboarder snowboarder, Like, let's do analysts stuff, right, I mean I could I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you bring you pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just think about the gum, the bubble gum. It was the bubble gum, right, that's off Colombo.
Speaker 2: That's actually my team. So the tradecraft team at five Casts is entirely comprised of former open source intelligence specialists, former intelligence analysts, former investigators. So our team sits in the function of trying to help our end users get the most value out of these products, and then helping our engineers and data scientists understand what's making the analysts and the investigators sick today. So again work chief communicators like our role is just helping meeke sense of the traditional challenges and the new novel challenges that are being faced in the open source intelligence space, but also in the analytical space, so that our users can better leverage the five CAST solutions, which are just helping them access that ocent in a better and more seamless way. And then also the developers, we sit and work with our developers. We had a meeting earlier this week where we just sit and brainstorm how to better map out a feature so that it is seamless and an analyst is not going to have to spend more of their time learning a new solution and a new way of doing things. It's the easy button, it's the macro. So we do a lot of that. And the reason we're employed, to your point, is we get it. We get what creates those headaches. We get what the analysts probably don't want to be doing, and if we don't understand, we get to sit and listen to them tell us their headaches, and we have a special empathy for what they're going through, and then we can go champion those changes back to the developers and the data science. And sometimes it's really specific, like they need this data and they need it faster, and they need it to look exactly like this. Sometimes it's very specific and I outline the challenge really clearly, and then other times I'm going back to the data scientists, for example, with a really novel question, and they get to sit and just play with how to solve that problem, which I admire because it'll be something really huge, like how do we better locate information campaigns spreading through social media? And our data scientists will say, let's just sit here noodle on this as long as we want, and so we come to the good solution and we're actually rolling out a really cool feature shortly that's going to help identifying narratives spreading throughout certain online communities better so that when we see dangerous things like miss disinformation, so the purposeful manipulation of online data or placement of false information, we're able to locate that. Because sometimes just as important as finding the critical piece of real information is finding the really important fake information out there, so we don't make decisions on that right. So we're coming up with tools in that area too, and that's all thanks to asking some really big, open ended questions to our data scientists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just wild because I'm just thinking of all these different things in my head as you're talking about, like you know how everybody just leaves a trail everywhere they go of just intelligence that you know, you may not think you're giving it, but somebody can gather it from your photo the background that they wanted to see, and they're just like, hey, show me pictures of the mountains in Utah. There's like some algorithm that they just go and find photos of Utah and next thing you know, you see these mountains and then it's just it's just like drilling it down onto what you want to find and it's already out there, right. You can click on a picture, you can write click a picture and you can find that proper he's of a picture. You find that the picture's geo location tag. And people are just not even thinking. It's just right there.
Speaker 2: It's just right now, It's just right there.
Speaker 1: It's just right there. Like like, somebody sent me a picture they are sick, and they sent me a COVID picture of their like test and it had a thumb holding the thing. And I was like, I wonder if that's their thumb holding the test strip, right, And I'm cool, we're funny about it. And this is a while ago. And so my buddy's like, well, Rad, check this out, man, and he hit the picture, put it in it said show me this picture. He pulled up all these other same, similar pictures of the same test with a thumb in it holding it. And what we did was we just went with the same photo against all of the other photos for the thumb. And I was like, dude, if that thumb is in these photos, I'm gonna be pissed because he's sending me a stock image. Yeah, bro, wait oh, Because we're pretty easy going, you know, I'm like Grey's six stay home. You know, come on, I love you ninety percent love you, ten percent have to fire you. You guys know that. Okay, all right? But yeah, yeah, they ninety percent love me, but they ten percent might have to quit. So we have this relationship dynamic at the shops where I work at Kay, It's like we love each other, but there's a thing we might have to do something to each other so to keep it real and like you know, professional, but again, man, wow, imagine like I just thought, oh, hey, check out all my social media here. Check it out here, We're playing war games out in the desert. Here, check out my tank. Check out all this stuff. It's like twenty years later there's a diary of rat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all available online. And I think, I mean, you're hitting on you know, the part where sometimes what we're educating people on is look at this really scary stuff that we can do. So not only almost as like a red teeming exercise, We're like, here's what you don't want to do, because here's what we were able to find.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we're educating on that angle of open source intelligence, and then other times where yeah, we're showing the shocking reality of this is right, you know, here's what it's out here, and I actually you just brought up something really cool that I think is unique about five casts is the ability to do media and analytics at a really advanced rate, and specifically doing image and logo detection. So that scenario of what you described, something I can do is say there was a check that has been stolen, and I need to see if there are any photos of this check appearing online. I can actually run collections against potential suspects and see if they've ever shared that photo or they've shared instance of that type of concept. I don't even have to have the exact image. I can say I'm looking for checks, show me anytime a checks popped up in here, and our advanced meet the analytics are going to help us get to that. And if you're ever scared by the way, speaking of checks, I think it was a recent New York Times article which talked about checkwashing and don't ever use paper checks anymore. I don't think most people do. But it's a whole business online now to steal checks, and they can actually extract the ink off of them using variety of chemicals, and they can now write in new amounts and they now have a blank check from whoever wrote it, which is pretty terrifying. But this has become a whole illicit business online. This has become something where people are coordinating, cooperating, collaborating online to do this at massive scales. And I just recently had to use onyx to uncover these rings of folks that are doing this at a massive scale and figure out how onyx can not only find these illicit communities that are collaborating and doing these things, but also how do we pick up on maybe specific pieces of evidence that I'm looking for if I want to extract that specific stolen check that I'm looking for protect XYZ individual that reported it's stolen. We're trying to do it at you know, kind of the macro scale of kind of find this threat, but also the really tailored scale of I need this specific piece of evidence and on its unfortunately unveiled all of this stuff to me. So I've learned a lot about checkow and all of that online. But yeah, image analytics are so critical because I think something we would see earlier in osent is people are really reliant on keyword detection. I'm sure, if you were to look for something, or if the average person were to look for something, they'd go to Google and they type in words. That has been obviously made a little bit more advanced, but people still really rely on keyword searching. I think something I love about Onyx is that because evidence nowadays sits in pictures, TikTok videos, you know, things like that, you need to move into that space of being able to pick up on threats and other types of media, if you will. So, yeah, there's illicit groups and how they're using TikTok videos to just share evidence of check washing. That's like just one small example of how we've automated a lot of this stuff. So not only can you pick up on the crime, but you can start putting that into your cases and using it to stop people from stealing checks and making them in blank checks.
Speaker 1: Some of these musicians are out there showing all of this like I got cash, I got cars, I got this, I got that, and then you know, they're putting it out there, and they're putting it out there and they're either like being attacked or robbed for showing off all of their stuff. And now they're like, you know, walking with a five million dollar necklace. Somebody's itching for that, yeah, or they're getting in trouble and indicted for you know, running gangs and they think that their rap career just took off. But they're showing all this other stuff and I'm just saying it's out there on the Internet, and people are just you know, grabbing it and just saying, this is you know, all the rap songs. You're saying about all these crimes that happened at the same time that you wrote these rap songs and you put them all out there. Yeah, these are that's an actual story going on. I don't know the full details of it, but this rappers and dieted out of Atlanta. So it's like ninety eight indictments. I don't want none of that. No, thank you, you know.
Speaker 2: But something Yeah, I walk off my lines. I'm like, yeah, people don't be very careful about what you post online. But if you happen to be doing something illicit, don't just share everything.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, right ahead, I'm not trying to say my listen it's not my listener.
Speaker 2: No, none of your listeners.
Speaker 1: No. They don't post nothing up on the No, they don't incriminate.
Speaker 2: Themselves, right, But I feel like you break something interesting because another new trending topic in ocent nowadays is and you bring up an important example of it. There are a couple of reasons why people use social media. One of them is to connect communicate, So from a criminal perspective, you know, you can leverage that reliance on social media to find a criminal network. Another reason is they are running an illicit business. And for our business, you need customers. How are you going to connect with customers? Everybody's communicating online nowadays, right, so you're going to need to do that. Another reason people use social media is to brag. It's for the validation. It's people just want to post things and feel really good about themselves. And you can rely on that habit when you're thinking of folks maybe leaving behind evidence of you know, maybe those funds weren't realistic for you to have as a public service employee, or you're investigating somebody for fraud, people leave behind.
Speaker 1: Everybody carry a birken bag on a on a government jet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 1: You know, and take pictures of that, you know, and put it online. Hey, doesn't everybody? Isn't that a normal thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You're totally right. It's like out there, you like just incriminated yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course, like you're only getting looked at if there's some reasonable suspicion in the first place. But and so you'd think, you know, somebody who is doing criminal activities, you think they would clean up that online footprint. But no, like they even even if they know, like they've been arrested or charged with or whatever, a lot of times you can still go to their online footprint and see just litters of evidence for whatever they've been charged with. So in that sense, oh, say, it's great because it's a cheap, spective way to find evidence, to find that intelligence. It's going to help you make a decision. And it doesn't take what like curating a human source. You know, it doesn't take like putting boots on the ground to figure that out. You know, it takes a quick search online.
Speaker 1: And I'm just thinking about Google. They yeah, well, yeah, I got this Google thing. It's like, oh, uh, you didn't update Google missed an update of your travels yesterday. And I was like, well, and I know I'm a Google guide okay, And this isn't like a promotion for them. I'm just like, oh, damn, dude, I'm tracked everywhere I go. If I go into this restaurant, it's like, hey, you're there, will you post up a picture of what you're eating? And I'm like, yeah, for sure, and I post it, you know, and you know, eleven million views later, you know, there's where rat eight At the time, I ate whose hands were in the photo? Maybe my wife's are friends and it can just start to be broken down right there. But I'm just trying to I'm thinking of it innocently, you know. But at the end of the day, it's, uh, it's the Internet, man. We got to watch what we're doing. You gotta be careful.
Speaker 2: But in that sense, like I think one of the best ways to train folks on open source intelligence, it's just specifically social media and it actually has its own name now, socment social media intelligence.
Speaker 1: Oh that was the thing that's coming. Yeah, sock it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's its own thing now. And one of the best educators is just reflecting like you are now, Like, how am I using all of these tools and online platforms and ways to communicate and connect, which are all built you know, to help people. They're all built to help people communicate, collaborate, all these you know, innocent, perfectly lovely things. But if you reflect on it and you think, Okay, if I was a bad person, I'm either still doing those things because I saw friends and I still want to talk to people, and I'm just doing that and that might give me critical evidence. But also if I'm an a lisit actor, those tools can serve illicit purposes if I manipulate them slightly. So, like going back to that chech example, you know when I was investigating checkwashing, you know, they wanted to sell these checks that they've been stealing from the mail. They ultimately need to sell them. How are you going to sell them? Like? What are you going to go house house like offering listed checks? Like what are you gonna do? No, you're gonna go online. And people suspect that this is going to be in the dark web, which sometimes it is, but it doesn't know that's not where the majority of your business is going to sit. The majority of folks don't use the dark web. They're going to go to social media, where a lot of folks are. They're going to use really clear hashtags, they're going to use really clear photos and they're going to try and hide themselves a little bit, but they still want to make their business. They still want to build their business. And you know, I'm using a law enforcement type example, but the same ghosts for are you know our listeners are likely from the defense space. You know, same goes for if you know you are looking for evidence of TRUP movement, if you are looking for evidence of certain you know, weapons capabilities in a region, those same photos are either being captured by just an average person who happened to see it and it looked really cool and they wanted to share that photo with their friends, or unintentionally that is being captured by maybe people assisting with the Truth movement or assisting with the resource movement. We saw that a lot with a Russian troop movement, where you have soldiers like taking selfies and posting them online and you have you even see that in their attempt to inform and gather awareness, like with specifically a gaza, you saw hamas they spurned out a whole bunch of telegram channels and they want people to know where their successful strikes were. They want people to know where they were looking to actively attack. They wanted people to know where their tunnels were that weren't enabling them to get around and perform really horrific things. I think, you know, those same principles of just wanting to gather support or wanting to gain awareness, which is how you know social media is used for positive things, it's going to be used by illicit or threat actors as well, and so that really that act of view just reflecting on oh I posted that, you know Google review the other day. You know, if that's even just doing that, that's what osan analysts are doing all this time. They're like, how just reflecting back on how maybe they use it, how they've seen social media used positively, and thinking how could that be manipulated in a really horrible way, and seeing what information you can find.
Speaker 1: You know, I work outside of a base, a military air base, and all day I see jets and in my whole life, I've been seeing these same jets, different aircraft all the time, and I love it. And I'm a photographer, so I have my social media and I'm like, you know, oh, they're flying. But the other like one of the other days I heard this is like really heavy plane taken off, not normal sound right? And I went outside, opened up my double doors, and I look right up there and it's huge and it's big, and I've never seen the name. And I was filming it with my social media at my Instagram, and I was like, hey, who knows what this is? And and I didn't even know. It seemed like a foreign plane and someone's like, oh, rat that plane is going to Ukraine flying from this and it's this model and it's a snake and here's it's itinerary flight path. And I was like, oh, I was just trying to show something fun and something cool that I don't usually see.
Speaker 2: But then I.
Speaker 1: Stopped and thought about it after I got that from him, and I stopped posting those photos.
Speaker 2: Thank you are those videos.
Speaker 1: But I still video the F thirty fives because everybody knows we got f thirty fives and they do their little loopy loops. But I sat back for a second and I just said to myself, Well, if this dude who I don't know can show me the make, model and then number of this aircraft that I didn't know and the flight path, well then what else are they watching on me? When I post up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know? Am I you know? And so loose lips seeing ships. So I took it upon myself to just try not to photo the crazy. I'll look at it with my own eyes, enjoy.
Speaker 2: The view for yourself.
Speaker 1: And then with all the aliens that fly the f thirty fives. Man, I'm gonna film you all day because you're all a bunch of aliens flying around my shop. I don't even know. Like they sit there and they're like in this, they fly straight and then they just go like this and they're just like their engines are down and they're flying slowly in front of us. You know, you know, you grew up on a base, so.
Speaker 2: What you raise a good point too. Like again, like Osin, I think when we talk about it, it ends we end up taking the role of, you know, educating folks on how they can better find, you know, intelligence or information, whether that's for a case or for an intelligence product. But then also it's like the scare tactic of if we're able to do this for bad people, now you know what to avoid personally, Like it's a good exercise. And for you it took that comment or that bit of feedback from someone where you're like, wait a minute, I don't want to just hand that out to everybody publicly. So yeah, like be careful even like things that seem super innocuous, like sharing that you are somewhere. Like something that you would see quite a bit is if folks are deployed, they have their cell phones with them and they might post where they are and they might share a location. Don't do that. I do, Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Do, they do. I know there's protocols and they're like, hey, don't, but I don't know if they don't know how to stop their thumbs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you also have And the reason I know they exist for you know, US folks, But where I've been looking is looking at them for Iranian troops or Russian troops. You know, there are communities where they can join online and it's to share funny means and to share photos of them playing with XYZ weapon. Right, they are very helpful for me to figure out where these people are and what threat that might pose to US or coalition forces. But those same things exist for US troops. And be very careful with what you're posting, and for the most part, ninety percent of people are. But that like you said that one time, when you share something it could be important. You got to be careful.
Speaker 1: It seemed vital to me. When I got that feedback, I was like, you know what, yeah, I was like, ah shit, pardon my French. I was like, you know, I that you know, I hadn't a film.
Speaker 2: That aircraft and we live and we learn, but now you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's like, well if they.
Speaker 2: People listening now also know like oh me, And also like if you you know, you work in the space, you work with either technology or capabilities that are so exciting and it's really cool to see them like you were describing, and you probably have a community who also thinks whatever it is, it's really cool and exciting, and you want to share it by all means, do that, but be careful, like maybe not to the public, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tell my daughters and my kids, like you know. The Instagram is more of a brand building content situation where if you have a business, it makes sense for you to be there to show your products and to show your brand and to be there just consistently. That is a brand. And if you're an individual civilian and you're just starting at thirteen, fifteen, eighteen years old and you're making your own name and you're building a brand of that name, so you know, my name would every picture I post is under my name, Brad. It's like, that's the brand I'm putting out there. That's what I want you to see is underneath those you know, it's just very you're building a brand, and if you're a business, it makes sense. If you're not a business, you should think about it. Yeah, that's that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's a very good point, and I think, yeah, ultimately something like is I think our responsibility as people in the ocent space is just acknowledging that dual role that we hold is because we deal with publicly available information, so important for us to have these conversations where you can say, hey, here's all those really cool things that we could locate and all the really awful things we can hopefully, you know, have a positive impact on, but also used as an educating education opportunity where it's you know, I call it a red TeV exercise, but like, yeah, what can I find about myself or my you know, my TEK, my presence, whatever it is and clean it up. It's not hard to do, like switch your account to private, you know, be judicious about what you're posting. Be judicious about the context that you offer with what you post.
Speaker 1: Photos that you post it up. You know, you're like, oh, are those still up on the internet. Take a look you should find out. Yeah, maybe go take them down, you know, get rid of them, or fix it up a little bit, you know, clean yourself up. Like we shower every day, right, mostly most of us. I try to come on. It's probably the same type of thing, hygiene, right, we should begetic about it, except for the bad guys, except the BA but for that dirty dirty pig pen.
Speaker 2: Leave everything out there. That's so helpful to me. I think, like that's always like this a great day when I come across like an account, a channel something whatever it is where I'm investigating something that it could take a long time, right when you're picking out a big problem like you know, fruit movement and x y Z location. I just love it. When I come across an account with this guy who shares daily updates video he tells me what it is I'm looking at. I'm like, thank you, thank you so much, you know, double heart, you telled me a lot so oh.
Speaker 1: B yeah exactly, yes, just keep it up, keep it up, you know, and uh, it puts a whole other spin on I got five on it. You know when you got five cast working with you, right, it's like I got the whole other spin to that. H that term and uh five cast dot com is that how we would look you up if you're in the defense departments and in the industry, and you're in the eyes of the world, and uh, you want to you know, reach out to abby D. That's her abby D. You're going to have to find her through five cast. So I have stolen an hour of her soul for you to hear about. You know what we just talked about right our footprint, how she can read it. I just want to let you know that, like what I was saying is like she's laughing because it's true. And so we we have to understand that because five cast is out there throwing a net looking for things that they need to look for, and you know people have been out there. So hey, if you're in the industry, you know of the Department of Defense, and you're listening to this podcast, which you guys do you're write in and so check out five casts, hit them up, tell them you heard it on soft rep. That'd be cool, you know, give me a shout out, and yeah, right, and say you heard the Abby the Abby episode, and don't forget to buy our merch at soft rep dot com and that's at the merch shop. And don't forget the book club because it's soft reap dot com forward slash book hyphen Club. I really love books, Like I got a lot of books like right right here in my desk. Don't even make me pull them out, so Abby, I think I'm going to wind us down after an hour of conversation. I just plugged the merch store by our merch and five cast, you know, trying to put a global net of security over the bad guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me. I think this is a lot of fun to just sit and go about you know why I do what I do, And you know, let me geek out a little bit on you know, relating a lot of the stuff that we do for our users to you know, the average person. I think that's really enjoyable. And yeah, if people have questions, so free to reach out. I love geeking out about this, clearly, I'll do it for hours on end. So if you have questions, you want to chat, Yeah, reach out to us or contact us via fivecast dot com.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect, Well, thanks so much And this is rad On behalf of Abby D and her five cast posse and me as softwareps saying peace. In a world where information overload can cloud judgment, one platform stands out in the intelligence landscape. Meet five cast, the future of data driven decision making. Five cast is not just software, it's your strategic advantage. Using advanced analytics, it turns vast amounts of data into actionable insights, ensuring that security and defense professionals stay ahead of the curve, from identifying threats to predicting trends. Five cast empowers you with the intelligence you need, when you need it. Trusted by global organizations, it's the tool for those who refuse to settle for the ordinary. Are you ready to transform your data into decisive action? Visit fivecast dot com now and step into a world of clarity and foresight.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to self red Radia