Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayer and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how it shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 2: Who are very excited for today's guest.
Speaker 3: Indeed, welcome to How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 4: So, Jonah, Today's episode is all about trying to act cool and being cool and stuff like that. And I have a question for you. Do you think today, Jonah, as an adult, you're cool? Wow?
Speaker 3: That's a really good question.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think as like a kid version of Jonah looking at me today, I would think that I was cool because I can, you know, stamp as as I want. I like, uh, you know, I can play guitar, right, I played in bands, you know, I have a lot of records. So yeah, I think I think pretty cool. Overall. I think I would think for the most part, what about you, Vanessa?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like the way that you thought about that. Would child me think that I was cool today? And I think the answer is yes, because I'm an actor and I think like being an actress, I would be So I would as a really little kid, I would put on a lot of performances. So getting to keep putting on performances and make money for it. I think I'd be like, Okay, this absolutely rocks. Also, I have a lot of dresses. Not to brag, but I own so many dresses from various things I've done throughout the years, and so I think I'd be excited about that. And I owned several pairs of high heels too, which was something that I always wanted as a kid. So yeah, I think between the dresses, the high heels, and the acting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I had some chocolate when I came home, and I don't have to ask anyone. I just did it rocks, you know, honestly thought it was my row money. So yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 4: I want to add something to how I would think I'm cool. I have a TV in my room. Now this has only been going on for about six months. I don't know if I've talked about this on here, but we weren't allowed to have TVs in our room really growing up, although you sort of broke that role by having like a really weird, broken black and white TV that you It wasn't broken at first, but then it turned into sort of a radio.
Speaker 3: I had the short version is I had. I had a black and white one of those like really old TVs with the dials and like the curved kind of screen, and one day I spilled a bottle of night quill in the top of it and it shorted out the picture part, but the audio still worked. Yeah, And I have these distinct memories. I slept on a food toon on the floor for some reason in my bedroom. Sure, why say? And I remember being a teenager sleeping on the food toon and just listening to NYPD Blue on my TV that had no picture, and just like using my imagination.
Speaker 2: I hundred percent remember you were listening to NYPD Bluespin. Well, I have a TV in.
Speaker 4: My room now, and I man, I'm on season six now of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which a couple twenty twenty five years late. But I am like love it's having a TV in my room watching Buffy. I'm like absolutely living my best life. Have you tried just listening to the audio with the picture of I.
Speaker 2: Should try that. It's probably better for my eyes.
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't get the blue light. Vanessa, Do you want to go ahead and introduce today's guest.
Speaker 4: Let's introduce today's guests and see if he thinks that child Hymn would think he's cool today. Our guest today is a writer and actor who's worked on some of your favorite shows, including Zoe's Extraordinary Playlist, The First Lady, and your actual favorite show I Love That for You, and who is a writer on the upcoming Netflix show No Good Deed. Please welcome my friend Zora Beacon Gaga.
Speaker 5: Hey, Zara nailed the pronunciation.
Speaker 4: Okay, we were talking before we started recording. I was trying to make sure I had the correct pronunciation, and somehow it led us into making fun of Jonah, and by us, I mean me and how he pronounced the things pecan, becan, pecan, bcan Gaga And I said, Jonah would say that wrong. But actually the word that Jonah says wrong is cashu.
Speaker 3: I don't say it wrong. It sounds normal to me when I say it. But but yeah, like I said, you and you and my wife Ikey tend to just point out every time I say, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Because we say cashu like normal people.
Speaker 5: Right. Well, it's a I heard somebody from the East Coast recently pronounced the the word raccoon is raccoon, which I thought was so funny because it sounded like very like Christopher walking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like raccoon.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's you know, because I didn't I grew up on the West Coast. But I thought it was really funny. But also someone that has, you know, parents that have like really thick accents. It's like, I try not to shame and anyone for pronouncing right. Yeah, I mean it's funny. It's always funny to me, but like, yeah, you know, because people just you know, they're gonna pronounce words differently.
Speaker 4: I'm imagining this person being from Like did you say they're in New York.
Speaker 5: They're from the East Coast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so were they like we got a lot of raccoons. Wait, no, that's kind of Philly.
Speaker 3: But a little Philly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, raccoons in the john.
Speaker 4: H Wait, what's in New York accent? It's like, how to New York? I keep thinking Philly?
Speaker 5: Well like coffee, you know, yeah, yes, grab grab my coffee and I saw raccoon.
Speaker 2: I grabbed my coffee and I saw raccoon.
Speaker 3: That sounds Jacob de bar mits, my boy, it is.
Speaker 4: You know. Jonah is the inspiration for Jacob the Barmit's boy, and I didn't realize it until all of his friends were like, you're going on SNL doing an impression of Jonah and again adult.
Speaker 5: Friend amazing because one of truly one of my favorite of all time.
Speaker 3: Truly, So, Zorah, what about little Zora looking at you today? Yes? What what what do you think he's thinking? Cool?
Speaker 5: First of all, I got you guys are cool. I would have thought you guys were cool, just you know in that Vanessa you're you always have like you're always telling me about a thing that I don't know about really, which is a marker of a cool person. Like it's always like you know some like clothing store or like hat that I should get, you know, So that's like a distinctive marker of a cool person.
Speaker 2: Wow, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: And Jonah, your mustache is aspirational.
Speaker 3: So thank you, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: I would think that that's cool.
Speaker 2: But sir, you have a cool mustache.
Speaker 3: Now that is true. You do have a cool mustache as well.
Speaker 5: It's taken me several decades to achieve this, several uh, and I'm here, but thank you, but it took me a long time.
Speaker 3: They take ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they take time. But I so, to answer your question, I think that if I were to see myself now as a as a kid, if kid me was looking at yeah, I would automatically be like, he's as tall as Michael Jordan. He's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you yeah that that right.
Speaker 5: I'm six sex yeah yah, so Jordan is six six too. Jordan is six six, and also Kobe Bryant, who I wanted to be, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: I would have just been fixated on how tall I am and like just wouldn't stop thinking about it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 5: Outside of anything. But I don't know, like there are other aspects where I'm like, I don't know if am I still trying to sort of achieve this thing that I wanted to be, you know, as far as like do I look enough like Tupac. I'm going to get a nose ring, like you know, probably in a month or so, and so that's like the last piece of trying to look like Tupak.
Speaker 4: What about do you have like any do you have like a cool TV or speakers or anything like that that might have made child Zora I think you were really cool.
Speaker 5: I have I have a TV that I think child Zor would think is cool because it's you know, like it's bigger and you could watch sports really well on it. Like it's very like sort of like built for sports. I think child or would would think that's cool. Which Jony were making me laugh so much describing the fact that you you listened to and with Beady Blue, because it's like that's how people used to like listen to like radio dramas. You know, like that's very old timey, you know what I mean, Like people would just like sit down by a radio and just listen to a program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you got Jimmy Smith's Dennis Franz and you know what's going on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, was Dennis Frowns the short guy?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, okay, he was always mad And then there was like an episode that was really controversial where like they showed his butt or something and it was you remember, it was like a really huge deal, like people are like, you can't show that on network TV, and like, do.
Speaker 5: You think that that was his?
Speaker 3: But though I don't know, I never really researched it, but I think it was very controversial at the time that show was pushing the mple. I think maybe they swore, Like now I feel like you can you can swear on like every channel. Note it's like no big deal, but back then it was like a huge deal.
Speaker 4: Mmm. Well, and also just Dennis friends like this is you know, all loved Dennis.
Speaker 2: Frians were huge fans. He's not like the hot guy on the show.
Speaker 4: So I also think it was it was sort of shocking to see his butt because and I don't mean to linger on this too long, but like it wasn't like a sexy move that they were doing to get viewers.
Speaker 3: It was like why are they doing it? I think it was I don't remember, I haven't thought about this. So I think it was because that show is trying to be like really raw and this is like real, this is New York, this is like this is you know.
Speaker 4: If you yeah, get in, if you want to watch a all rash, We're not going to show you a hot person's butt. We're going to show you dunnis Rand's butt and if you can you handle it, you see WIMPs.
Speaker 5: So the controversy was like it was more like him like.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I couldn't see it right. So I heard about this part later. I guess I.
Speaker 5: Do remember it because I didn't watch it as a kid, but I remember seeing like the previews for it, like the promos and kind of having that reaction of like why is the Like Okay, this guy's the star, Like this the guy that you're showing in the promos and you know, sort of bragging about like Emmys and stuff like. I was always like confused, like why they led with him? But maybe that was just me being shallow and he was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was also a woman on it who was really beautiful, and I remember being fixated, and then she got her own spinoff show.
Speaker 2: I'm having a tough time thinking of her name, but she.
Speaker 4: I remember as someone who had curly hair that would often straighten it. I remember being like, she's would go She would toe that line too, where she would like sometimes straighten her curly hair and sometimes wear it curly. And I remember being like, first of all, someone has to be professionally straightening her hair, which that is now I know with TV, like someone does your hair.
Speaker 2: So mystery solved.
Speaker 4: But it just I remember I always like appreciate even though I straightened my hair, I always wanted people to wear their hair curly because it made me feel like I could wear anyway.
Speaker 5: That's cool.
Speaker 2: The point is bored everyone for a minute of.
Speaker 3: These no cercause of Dennis Franz, really really no no. But I was just trying to make you feel better about your thank you.
Speaker 4: Jonah Olivia just sent us an article called how NYPD Blue broke the naked TV rules.
Speaker 3: See yeah, see I remember this. Yeah, okay, and that is.
Speaker 5: A deep cut. It just it seemed so adult to me, like my memory of NYPD blew. It was like, yeah, it was like that and and for whatever reason, like Mad about You just seems like so adult, Like it was just like that's as a show that's not funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, show. You know what show I've been watching from that era that just got all six seasons just got at Amazon Prime. Is Northern exposure? God, yes, and yeah my wife is out of town.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of moose motifs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the intro there's a moose walking through a town. But my wife is out of town, so I can watch whatever I want. So I'm like, oh, I got it. I got to get in all the northern exposure I can And is it good? It's such a weird show. And I almost don't want to talk about it too much because it could be like a whole other episode, because I know this is more of an NYPD blue podcast. But yeah, it's like this the protagonists doctor who has to go to Alaska and then his contract basically says he can't leave, so he's got to like just live in this remote town in Alaska. It's this doctor and there's it's such a weird show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely remember the moose, yeah part of it, but also like being attracted to the woman who like thinking that she was like really pretty and being like why am I? Why am I leaving this this episode on? Like I don't like this subject, but I keep watching this.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's like an adult It's like kind of like makes you feel too. It's like a comedy, but it's like clearly made for adults, because like there's always references to him being like this Jewish guy from New York and there was all these kind of like inside jokes about it if you would not but I feel like, as a kid, you just watched TV made for adults because there wasn't as much stuff for you, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: On it around the same time as meaning like maybe in succession with the show that was Jennifer Love Hewitt and another kid and they lived in Hawaii with their and their dad had red hair. Do you know what I'm talking about? How you're gonna say Party of five party, but this was pre Party of Five. This was like probably one of Jennifer Love Hewitt's first acting roles. Jonah, you definitely know this show. I feel like you would watch it, Olivia. Can you look up Jennifer Love Hewitt's IMDb It's called it was called like way out There or something.
Speaker 5: They lived in Hawaii.
Speaker 4: They lived in Hawaii, and I also think they had to move there for something with the dad and it was like a brother and sister living in.
Speaker 3: Hawaii with Yes, I think you might have made the show.
Speaker 4: It was very northern exposure ish the Birds of Paradise.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I don't remember the show, Olivia.
Speaker 4: Can you find an image of it to show to Jonah? Because he does birds is spelled.
Speaker 3: B y R D S.
Speaker 4: I think because that's how their last name was spelled, which is actually pretty catchy if you think about it.
Speaker 5: It's a good it's a good title. It's a good time.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that at all? Jonah?
Speaker 3: Is this Seth Green is the other kid.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's surprising because I mean Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Speaker 3: Was I think it is.
Speaker 4: This is definitely yeah, And I said the dad was a redhead guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow wow.
Speaker 4: And you know Seth Green sorry because I'm watching it right now, really really important character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Speaker 5: Also in the movie Can't Buy Me Love?
Speaker 2: Is he like a baby in it?
Speaker 5: He's like a very very young young brother. I think if I'm mis remembering, you could look it up Olivia. But he's in one of those like eighties movies, and I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure it's Can't Buy Me Love.
Speaker 3: Wow. I always associate him with those rallies kitching commercials. Me too.
Speaker 2: I thought that was his first thing and it wasn't.
Speaker 5: I'm right. Yeah, he's in Can't Buy Me Love. He plays Patrick Dempsey's like he's he's like six or something and he's at the dinner table. I was watching it recently and I was like, Seth Crane is in this? What?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: I never knew that. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Also, just to say, as like a side note, isn't it crazy how Patrick Dempsey went from being like the nerd in Can't Buy Me Love to like being McDreamy in Grey's Anatomy. He made such a transition.
Speaker 5: And kudos to Grays for like being like, you know, you know who we're gonna make hot. Yes, we're gonna bring this guy back, and he's gonna be fucking steepy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, what if they brought in Dennis Brons.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, could you can you imagine? Yeah? You know what, you know what, We're gonna bring Dennis Franz and you're gonna you're gonna like his butt.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be like him. It's gonna be like, oh him.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: But you know, like they really did that because if you think about the other kind of nerd from that era was John Cryer, right yeah, and then he went on.
Speaker 2: To do Do You Haven.
Speaker 4: He's still like kind of the unco I mean, I haven't watched a ton of episodes of that show, but still kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the uncool guy.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 2: He's still successful, but like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's like Charlie Sheen slash Ashton Kutcher's like the uncool sort of brother yeah, and then and then now he's in a new show called Extended Family where he's like still friends in co parenting with his ex extended family right right, and and he's playing like the uncool ex husband next to Donald Faison, who was very cool, Donald Bezon's absolute legends. And John Carr has always been nursing.
Speaker 4: And also don't you feel thrilled because don't you think that he and Zach Braffer are making so much money on the they're doing.
Speaker 2: What is the commercial they're in for phones or something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, some kind of it's on every T mobile. Yes, yes, yes, yes, so I always.
Speaker 5: Am always okay, I'm perplexed by like the rules of using television duos and people that are known to be like of another property. Right, and then then they're together doing their their stick in a commercial, like how are you allowed to? Can you do that?
Speaker 2: I think you can.
Speaker 4: I think it's like I think if they were nice, they could have reached out to Bill Lawrence and been like, hey, we got this offer.
Speaker 2: I hope it's cool with you.
Speaker 4: But I think because they weren't using their names, like their character names from Scrubs, and also because it's been so long, it's probably fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I tell you crazy story.
Speaker 4: I was at this party, this holiday party, and this guy came up to me and he was like, I was in a T Mobile commercial with you, like years ago. Because I was in a T Mobile commercial once. I don't think I made that faison. Yeah, I don't think I made that money. It was really Joel McHale was like the star of the commercial. And then like I was in the commercial too, And this guy came up to me at this party this year and he was like technically last year and he was like, I did this T Mobile commercial with you and you were so nice and you were really supportive and I just really want to thank you.
Speaker 2: And he's Jake from State Farm. He plays Jake from State Farm.
Speaker 3: And I was like what.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, now you're the.
Speaker 4: King of commercials, like you're so you're so good in those commercials. And also like he probably is making that Donald Faison money. Okay, couple, but Kevin Miles, Kevin Miles is his name.
Speaker 2: We should have this podcasts.
Speaker 4: And I was like, and now you're like, probably he's doing so great and he's probably again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's that's wild. That's like a that's wild because he's truly one of like the TV spokespeople of our generation.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, I mean, and like is in cool, funny commercials and is great in them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's wild. Well, yeah, kudos to for for you know, being nice to an up and comer. Yeah, that ended up becoming honestly a black legend at this point.
Speaker 3: That's what I would say.
Speaker 5: Let's be real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's be real.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, we're going to go to a quick commercial break and then we'll be right back with Zora Beacon Gaga and we're back. So Zora today, we wanted to talk about trying to act cool when we were younger, and I thought we could kick off with the story that you told me. And it's pretty incredible. And you know, you were a writer in the I Love That for You room, and such a great writer, and that's why you know we had you in the room.
Speaker 2: You were so wonderful.
Speaker 4: But no, part of the reason you were such a great fit for the show, aside from being a brilliant writer, is that the main character, my character and I Love that for You, has sort of this lie that she keeps telling until it goes too far, and you had sort of something like that that you did to kind of make an well why don't you tell me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean yeah, I brought it up in the interview, which I was like, oh no, they think I'm a liar now, and.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, we were like, this is incredible. He has to work on the show.
Speaker 5: Oh thank god. It just like you know, it was such a comfortable interview. I was like, oh my god, these I was nervous before hangers. I was like, oh my god, I'm I'm such fans of all you, but then it was it got so comfortable, like I you know, like we're friends, and so I remember just sort of spilling out the story, not expecting to tell it and not expecting to connect it to the show material, and then you know, it was such an easy connection. But then after I definitely was like, oh no, like they think that I'm a sociopath and and I'm a big liar, and they're like, oh, we're not going to hire this guy. But anyway, I'm glad that I did. But to tell you this, you know, just the abbreviated version, I you know, went to college. First day of college, thought it'd be funny to prank my new roommate by doing a thick you got an accent for like a few minutes, you know, just on a dare from my high school friends.
Speaker 2: Right, I forgot it was a dare from your high school friends.
Speaker 5: It was a dare from my high school friends. It was just like this voice that I would put on to like make my friends laugh and just prank you know, like drive through window people and servers and stuff, just just like dumb shit in high school.
Speaker 4: Oh, I used to love to do accents like try and do British you know, and stuff like that. But yeah, he's probably more convincing, but yes, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Well, and it was like based on my dad, you know mostly and also coming to America, I was like this cross between like you know, Prince I came and my dad, and so it was just like this thing of like, oh, you should prank you know, your roommate for like a couple of minutes and it'll be hilarious. And you know, I met this family and then you know, I mean in my ra and I mean you know, the people in the hallway and like this accent and I'm like, you can't get out of it. And so like it ended up lasting you know, for the day and then the next day and then for the entire first semester. It was like I couldn't get out of this accent.
Speaker 4: And all your teachers and everyone thought you were from Uganda and that you had a Yeah.
Speaker 5: Everyone thought that I was from Uganda. And again, like I didn't. I didn't have this concept of like what college life was going to be like, and so I just didn't know how quickly you meet people. You know, You're just like meeting people so fast, especially that first day. It's like you're meeting all your best friends with people are going to become like your best friends that that first year. And and so I was just this person and then you know, I didn't expect to become such a like a like a notable person, you know, Like I was like, oh, I'm going to like be you know, like a first year at the school. But then they're like he's from Uganda, Like he's I just was way cooler than I thought that I was going to be. Like I thought, I just didn't expect any of that to happen. And of course I was like very alluring and I'm like, oh yeah, I'm getting all this attention, and and with my professors, it was like they they wanted to like hear my opinions on stuff like in class, like in like world like world cultures. You know, they're like, oh, like Zora, like what do you think about colonialism? And you know, like that kind of shit. So it was it was hard to get out of. Yeah, it was very very difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what made you decide to get out of it?
Speaker 4: And I kind of remember this, but I want you to tell it, like how did you do it?
Speaker 5: Well, well, so this so I did this prank like a year before Facebook dropped, right, So there was like no way to sort of like look you up. Yeah, research you can't. And if I kept doing this, like I could have been grandfathered and as like this person like on social media, you know what I mean. Like it was like you couldn't look anyone up. And so when I, I guess like became this character, you know, like this guy. At a certain point at the end of the day, I was like, oh my god, I this is crazy, like these people think from Africa. And then as I was getting to know people, it just became you know, like any sort of eighties movie or or you know, like I love that for you, Like it's you can't break that trust that you've already sort of built in these people that you really like and that all of you. And so I remember I got like really close to my roommate, like really close to the like the guys on my floor, and you know, I got close to this girl, you know, that I didn't expect to meet, you know, And and she was it was like that first year like freshman year kind of relationship situationship where we weren't like physical together, but we just stayed up all night talking about music and like the world and shit. It was all like endorphins. And and she was certainly like putting me like on a pedestal and kind of idealizing me and in this certain way because she was like this black woman that grew up in Baltimore, and like I'm she's looking at me like I'm this like African Prance, and I'm like looking at her like, oh my god, you're like you're like Ashley from Fresh Prince of bel Air, Like that's.
Speaker 3: What you look like, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: I had this like this this sort of idealized version of her, so we weren't really looking at each other realistically, it was it was through rose colored lenses. And so anyway, I just after a while, I felt so not only guilty, but there's a loneliness and in being surrounded by people but no one knowing who you are, you know, especially like in this place where there was like no one to talk to. Like I remember, I had my friend from high school, one of the guys that like dared me because he didn't believe me, you know, He's like, you're not doing this. I'm like I'm doing this. And so he came and stayed with me for the weekend. But part of it was like I need to connect with somebody that knows you because I'm forgetting who I am. I'm like going I feel like I'm going crazy, and I need someone to witness this, to know that, like I'm not in this dream world and I've become like this person. And so he came and he was just laughing his ass off the entire time. But then it just got like really deeply lonely and guilt ridden. And I remember, you know, sort of like like coming out to like my my roommate first, because he was my closest friend. Yeah, but I was sort of still doing it in the prankster way, like where like he I walked in. I remember he was like studying and I walked into my dorm room and and I was like, I was like, yo, man, you know I need my honey's call for me, because this was like back when you had like dorm phones. Yeah, leave voicemail. And he like looked at me crazily, and I was like, how is my American accent? Was it? Was it a good accent, you know? And He's like, dude, that was crazy.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: That was like such a crazy like sounded like you're from America. And I and I said, well, you know what if I told you that I actually I am from America and you know, I'm from Hillsburg and I'm not really from Uganda. And he looked at me honestly like he didn't like the world had turned upside down, Like he just truly looked so confused and lost and and and he was like, I gotta get out of here, you know. I got to go for a run. And he went for a run and he was gone for about an hour wow, And he came back and he and he was like, it makes so much sense. Of course, of course you're not from Uganda, like you would always you would always go to the laundering room, you know, to to talk on the phone, and you're always speaking in the hush tone and like, oh my god. It's like, oh my god, look like you have a yearbook like under your bed. Like it was. It was all sort of like piecing together for him and this away and he and he was like okay. First of all, he was like fuck you, but second of all, that was hilarious. And I'll only forgive you if you do the same thing you did to me to like all our friends in the hallway, like you need to do that like accent thing. So they came in one by one like our close friends in the hallway, Oh my god, and I would you know, and I was like like, what's going on, man, Like what's good? Like I was talking to an American accent? And they all reacted in different ways. Some of them were like what thell like you know, and and some of them were like this. One guy just started laughing hysterically, like he couldn't stop laughing, and he couldn't even speak. He was just laughing. The entire time, and so it became this this thing, like my sort of gesture to the guys that I became closest with was that they would be in on the prank for at least like a week before I would come out to the campus, and so they were in on it, you know, And and we would be in the dining commons and people would come up to me like, oh, you know, like they used to call me like the Prince, like that was like my nickname, right, and so like, oh, the Prince, and I'd be like, hey, am I, you know, I would do the accent and they would just be fucking laughing. And then I remember like sort of revealing like my identity to h To to Angela, the girl that I got really close with, and she had a very warranted reaction, like she got so mad at me, and she was like yeah, she was like you like you.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 5: She was like like you even sound like a white boy too, and she like stormed down her room, which I don't know, like whatever, Like she was nineteen years old, but that was like her dick at me is that I sounded like white boy, but it's like not whatever. I was like, okay, fine, she's mad. She's saying, what's that. Maybe she doesn't mean, but she she just owned me and uh and we fell out. And the happy ending to that story is that years later, like she reached out to me. I'm talking about like this was maybe seven years ago, so we're like, you deep into adulthood, and she hit me up. She was in LA and she and we like met up for coffee and she was like, I was really mad at you. I was really mad at you for years, you know. And then at some point, like I thought about it, and and I was like that shit was hilarious, Like that ship was funny, you know. And I was like, yeah, it was funny, right, And she's like, well, she still lied to me, so she would. We still have this dynamic where we still hang out and she's like, you know, married now and all that, but like she she always she still gives me ship for lying to her.
Speaker 4: Wow, oh my god. Yeah, is that is such an incredible story.
Speaker 5: And I haven't done anything like that since. And in the funny thing is, like, you know, it did feel like this eighties movie. But I ended up transferring out of that school. I transferred to Seattle Pacific, like after that, just because like how do you top that year college? It was just it was so intense. It was so it was so intense, it's like you can't you can't top that. And so I ended up transferring to this liberal arts school and in Seattle, and I remember like not even think about, like there's no way I'm going to do the accent. I'm not gonna do the brank. And then I got there and I show up to orientation and like there was this thing in my brain that was like do the accent, Like do it again. And I was honestly like so close to doing it again because it was like that was so fun and lo and behold. The first people that came up to me, the first people that I met at the school were these two guys from Uganda. Oh my god, Ken and Symby and James and Symby and they're like, hey man, you know, like we're from Uganda. And I was like, this is the universe being like, hang it up, hang o, don't do it, do it, don't do it, bro, And so thank you know, thank god that happened. But isn't that crazy?
Speaker 3: That is that's wow?
Speaker 2: So crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the brain, the brain, it's funny. It's a funny, funny place.
Speaker 4: It's an incredible I see what You're like, there is something so fun about like putting on this thing and getting away with it. And I'm sure it was like everyone was so impressed and so excited about, like.
Speaker 5: You know, similar similar to Joanna, you know, and I Love That for you. It's like you you're you're being treated completely differently or in this way that you want, Yeah, and you deserve you always should have. Yeah, and it's like, no, this I should be this cool, like I should I should be as popular, you know what I mean? Like this is all these are all the things that I've all that that I wanted, you know.
Speaker 4: And I was going to say, like I even you know, in high school, everyone knew like I was. For anyone who hasn't seen it, watch it. The show I Love That for You is like sort of inspired by my life and is about when I had leukemia as a teenager. But I was diagnosed in ninth grade and then you know, throughout high school, everybody knew that I either had it or was battling it or had survived it, you know, and so I was sort of like associated with it.
Speaker 2: And then I went to college and it was like.
Speaker 4: Nobody knew that, and I was like everyone's treating me like I'm normal, and this kind of sucks.
Speaker 2: And I remember using it, like I remember.
Speaker 4: A couple classes where there was this one class I had to like write and I had to email the person and I definitely was like my experience having leukemia in high school, like blah blah blah blah blah. And then I got into the class and then I was like, I don't want to do this. But I remember like in two different classes, and I don't think I did either of them, because you know, if you have to write an email or you know, contact the teacher personally to get into the classes, probably kind of a hard class.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Really have time for that, but got in. No, there was another this was pen right, this is pen. This is there's another kind of journalism class that I tried to get into and then it was like so much work and I was like, uh, sorry, but I remember kind of dropping it with people. And then of course the whole time I was at SNL, everybody knows I was. I would but like it's like you want to have this special thing to like make you cool and make you like, you know, unique, and when people don't know that, yeah, when people when you don't have it.
Speaker 2: Even though I would say this about.
Speaker 4: Like you don't need You're such a great, cool, interesting person without you know, being you know, American, but like it is hard to know, you know, think that about ourselves.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you. That's it's very sweet. It's it's taken a long time to you know, embrace that. But like, but it is this thing, you know, also like where it is an insecurity thing, but then it's like this thing of like deeply wanting people to know like who you are, right, Yeah. And for me it's like I obviously had like a different journey in in high school where I just felt like no one really sort of like knew who I was, and I didn't really know because I had these African parents and I was in this town where there's like no black people, you know, and I was like sort of ostracizing this weird way that I didn't like understand, and I was like there's something I don't there's something that's disconnecting between the way that I'm treated and the way that I see myself and like who I am. Yeah, and so like going and being and becoming this like the prince, right, Like it was a way to sort of act out how I felt like I should be and this way, even though I wasn't being who I was, like in a way like I was able to like be more of who perhaps I really was inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that makes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really interesting, And I think the technological aspect is so interesting too, Like how difficult that would be to do now, yeah, because someone would just google you and see a million things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would be psychotic now, I mean you'd have to like create age.
Speaker 3: You don't have to really commit to that story, like take some of like you.
Speaker 5: Know, my like cousins pictures from Uganda and sort of like the photo shot me in and me being on this like dirt road and shit like it would it would be way more.
Speaker 1: Psychotic, right right right, A lot more work too, Yeah, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: There are there things that you remember doing when you were younger, when you were in school to act cool and like that's I guess the whole question for sure.
Speaker 5: For sure. Well, so I was like fixated with because I grew up in Healdsburg, which is this like small wine country town which is super bougie now, but when I was a kid, it was like no one, no one knew where it is. It's you know, it's there's not that many black people there, you know. Like it was like me and and this kid Ben Jackson, who was adopted, and like it was there wasn't like a black family. There's like another black family that was like Jehovah Witness but the homeschool, so it was true like me and Ben Jackson, and so like I just was so fixated on like black people on TV, you know, because like I had like my my family who were from Africa, and that's like a very specific, but I was like I needed I don't know, I just was like so desperate to to connect to like that type of American culture because I didn't really really know it growing up with in this African household. So I was obsessed with the Fresh Prince, you know, yeah, pre slap, pre slap, Will Smith Prela, and he was everything like he was like the like he was funny, he was like cool and and and so I just remember like emulating everything about him and and like obviously like just like any literally any black person that was on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Was was was it for me? Like or like me rappers? Just yeah, just acting like the opposite of of just this African kid who.
Speaker 2: Right right right right? What do you think you did to sort of emulate them?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Were there specific like for like I mean, I know Jonah was really into Criss Cross and he and his friend Chat once went to the mall with their jeans on backwards.
Speaker 5: So I I was so I thought, allow cool. J was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did well.
Speaker 5: I did the backwards pants thing. Yeah, that was more you had to do it. I remember being like maybe second grade, so it was a little you know, like it, but I was wearing them backwards. It was That was actually the first concert that I ever went to. I saw them at Great America in Santa Clara.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, how was that? Chat?
Speaker 5: It was amazing? I remember every moment of it. It was like just it was there were like kids on stage like wrapping.
Speaker 3: We're just like, oh my god, like we own this place. Who did the too long? Was there other bands on the bill? No?
Speaker 5: I can't even remember if it was. I just remember them and being like, oh my god, these are the list kids I've ever seen on this entire planet. We all dressed up. Every kid had the backwards clothes and we're just all like, yeah, it was anyway, but that's I definitely did that. And then I remember being really into like ellow cool Jay, thinking he's cool and rolling up one pant leg.
Speaker 3: Yeah right right, that was That was definitely.
Speaker 5: Something that I emulated. And yeah, just like shaving my head, Like I shaved my head because I wanted to look like Tupac, like just an amalgamation of of just all these people who I wanted to be, like Win, like a lot of like wind breakers because of the fresh prince like you always had like a cool wind breaker on.
Speaker 3: That's right, yeah, you know, just like stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but also just tragic because I was doing it all in a way that was just so forced.
Speaker 2: Well how could you not though?
Speaker 4: I mean, Jonah, I don't mean to throw you under the bus, but Jonah got really into He and his friends in a really weird way when they were in like sixth or seventh grade, got really into wearing designer brands. But the brands I'm talking about specifically are Jerbo. Like everyone had to have Derbo jeans and guess, like a lot of guests.
Speaker 3: Z Caavalricci Ricci.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, and in the most like kind of ridiculous way judge each other on like having the coolest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this veron. I want to be clear too, this was like a short lived phase.
Speaker 2: Short lived.
Speaker 4: It made a real impression on me, which is why I think I talk about.
Speaker 3: It a lot. Yeah, it was before I got into like punk rock and music, and like, yes, this was like the farthest thing from my mind soon, but yeah, I someone got into it, and then yeah, I felt like I didn't have a lot of that kind of stuff, Like our parents wouldn't really buy it for me, and so I would have like the same outfit at wear every day. Did you have like the guest overalls, the overall I was going to say the overalls were really big.
Speaker 5: I remember that.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever had them, you know what I do remember? I remember mom had some guest jeans and I wore them to school and day I was like, this is perfect because like I, for some reason, I would like wear my parents clothes a lot.
Speaker 2: You would too, because you and you.
Speaker 3: Could for some reason it was cool to wear everyone else's clothes. But my dad had these big like these big kind of like plaid shirts. I would wear. My dad's a bigger guy than me, especially back then, so I'd wear these shirts that were huge on me, and I would wear my mom had guest jeans. I was like perfect guest jeans. But then someone was like, oh the guests the question marks red and like the men's it's supposed to be green, and so that was like very yeah. I got her called out for remember that, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 3: The overalls wearing one strap down with the overalls or both straps down. I mean that was where it was at. I never really had overalls. I always wanted them, though, did you have any I.
Speaker 5: Had overalls, but I remember like wanting the guests overalls desperately but not having access to them because Heildsburg was so it was like relatively, you know, like we didn't have yeah, like a mall that had guests. So I just remember being like, oh, my guess jeans, and I am was like, they don't have a guess here, So like you're not gonna like you're gonna have.
Speaker 3: These, Yeah, you're not gonna get take these Jordash.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember I had overall shorts overalls and I got two pairs at Marshal's. One was a plane, one was solid colored, and one was striped. You know. It was sort of blue with a white pin stripe. And I wore them all the time, and of course I didn't wear both straps up because I'm not a freaking dork. I would wear one strap down. And I remember being like, this is so you know, I've made it. Basically, did you ever cuff? Did you guys cuff the jeans?
Speaker 3: I was never into coughing. I could never I could never get it to stay. And it was like, yeah, I just wasn't for me. What about you? Did you ever cuff?
Speaker 2: French?
Speaker 3: Cuff?
Speaker 2: Right when you like make a little pleat.
Speaker 5: You sort of I remember like you kind of fold the end, yeah, and then you you roll and then you roll it up. I don't know if that's it's so funny. I don't know if this is a West Coast thing. All of this stuff you're referencing, there was something you referenced earlier too. Our cousin Mia, our cousins who grew up in Yukaya. Our cousin Mia taught me about like all of this stuff, and she'd be like, you have to French cuff your jean. Yeah, and I'd be like and rolling up one pant leg and like she did all that stuff in northern California, and I remember like trying to do that because I was like, Mia does this, so I have to like figure out how to do this, Like yeah, but I remember the cuffing was really cool. It was cool. My sister was born in Yukaya, by the way, really wow, she was born in Yukaya. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How old is she?
Speaker 5: She is thirty four.
Speaker 4: She was born in Oh she might know her cousin Lauren. It's a really small well. Sidebar about this, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well we'll sidebar. But yeah, I think, yeah, Yukay is a whole live but I guess I guess maybe it is a West Coast thing. Your cousin would definitely know about Miller's Outpost what is that, which was like a store. So so Miller's Outpost was like the store to go to in you know, like middle school, right like where they had all like the baggy jeans, So like you would go there to buy these like anchor they're called Anchor Blue that came in extra baggy. You can you can buy them as a size baggy or extra baggy. Wow, okay, and so you would just go like I remember buying like size forty jeans, Yeah, as a fiddle schooler, getting one of those middle school in middle school, like seventh grade, getting one of those those belts that look like they're like sort of flat and like fabric. It's not like like a leather belt, but.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 5: And they slide, yeah, and they sort of like clasp on. And so I remember getting those and just pulling it as tight as they could be and cuffing the bottom and truly looking like a like a crazy person.
Speaker 2: I mean once Jonah did get into punk stuff.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this a thousand times in here, but he was so into Jinko and would truly look like he was floating down the hallway just just the biggest bottoms on his jeans that you could never see his feet.
Speaker 3: It's just them just being all just like covered in dirt and just me tripping over them, like just the worst, just so gross.
Speaker 5: And then the cuff would would come undone for those of us that cuff, and then so you would just be dragging them, yeah, because they're too big, So like you would have to replace them because they would just get all ripped at the bottom. Because you're a seventh grader wearing, you know, wearing forty size jeans. They're too big, they're too big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My only genes thing was to me the coolest jeans that my friend Lizzie would go She and her sister Shana would go to New York with their dad every once in a while and they would go to like thrift stores and she would or she, I don't know what kind of and they would get used jeans, okay, and they were so cool because they had like some holes in them and people had worn them before. And I remember being like, Lizzy's jeans are the coolest. And then one day I went to Lizzie's house and her sister Shanna was like, you can these are like old used jeans of mine if any of them fit you.
Speaker 2: And I took like three pairs of used jeans.
Speaker 4: And then I'd go to school and be like, everybody better fucking bow down these absolutely cool used jeans, and like, I just felt so cool in them, and I actually they'd probably be so tiny on me now, but I'm so sad I don't have them anymore. Because there was like one pair in particular that I was like, I'd wear them all the time. And actually, you know what else is funny about that. I just thought of our grandma Jonah. Grandma Evy had some like old Calvin Klein jeans she gave me once, and I was like, these are not only used, but they're like used by my ancestor, and these absolute rock and they were really nice jeans, and those I also wish I still had.
Speaker 5: Well, don't you guys think it's crazy? That's it's all back now. And and not only that, but like people wearing the vintage stuff, it's like the older it is. Yes, if you under those old Calvin Klein jeans, like there would be gold. Yeah, you know, like it's so. I was in I was in Glendale and I was I was. I ran into these kids, these like truly like they were like I don't know, like ninth graders, and one of them was wearing Jinko jeans that looked like they were from nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, like.
Speaker 5: No, they were so big and it was it was weird. It was almost like looking at like a portal, you know, in time, not just because just that age, and I wasn't ready. I wasn't ready to see kids. Yeah in those parts, like you know, like essentially they look like parachutes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so crazy. I mean I know.
Speaker 4: That's like also Jonah always has the experience of seeing people in like five hundred dollars five hundred dollars band t shirts from like you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so weird when you go to like if you go to like Hudson, New York or something, you go on some boutique, they're like, this bon Jovi shirt is four hundred dollars, and it's like it's so it's so biz. Like thrift store kind of esthetic is now so expensive, and it's so expensive for rich people who like don't want to go to a thrift store and look through all this stuff. They can just walk in and be like yep, yeah, it's like so curated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's something a bit self righteous about it in that. And I don't mean to shoot on this because it's good to like sort of not be wasteful, but there's this thing of like we're not wasting okay, like we're buying fresh because we're not adding to the trash, right right, And yeah, you see, and it's like okay, but also like who could afford this? You know, like this like Polo Ralph Lauren Iinality you know from like nineteen ninety eight is four hundred dollars, Like get off your fucking high horse and maybe reduce the price a little bit and also be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah. And so honestly, when we're on the subject, is everyone a curator? Now? Like is there any kind of I get if you're curating a museum or something that's your job, I get it, But it's like, okay, if you put together a playlist or hung a T shirt on a rack, are you really a curator?
Speaker 5: Are you a curator? Like it's people are just it's settled down, Yeah, settle down, settled down.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna take a quick commercial break.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back with Zorra Beacon Gaga.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Well, Zora, are you ready to play a little game with us?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: This is a sort of newer game of ours that Jonah has titled.
Speaker 3: It's called Congratulations You Played Yourself Product Edition Congratulations You played Yourself. Okay, this is a new segment. I think we've only done it once before. We discussed three products that were discontinued in twenty twenty three, and we pick one of them which we'd like to bring back. In other words, which of these corporations completely played themselves. I guess what I'm trying to say here is if you took away a product that we want to bring back, then as a corporation, you have played yourself. Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, yeah, it's a little convoluted, but.
Speaker 5: I just want to hear I just want to hear it as to say congratulations.
Speaker 2: Because that's very nice. Even let's join his favorite phrase.
Speaker 4: But to one of these companies, we will be saying, congratulations, you played yourself, you beligeous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, and so uh I can kick us off. So this is also, by the way, taken from an article from CNN Business. So just get CN business some profits. So in twenty twenty three, Pepsi got rid of Sierra Missed the lemon lime flavored soda and it had been around for twenty four years. It was replaced by something called Starry. It's a new lemon lime soda that quote gives people a choice in an area that's been dominated by one brand for years. Starry has more citrus flavor and is more true to fruit and aromatic and so yeah, yeah, yeah than Cerra Miss and cerr Miss. The launched in ninety nine but never really made a dent with Sprite. Sprite has been doing really well. Cr Miss is in so they're relaunching Storry getting ready to see her missed. What do you think about this or.
Speaker 5: I, well, it's hard to compete with with the behemoth that that is Sprite. Yeah, it's it's such a it's such an institution. Okay. I was confused when Story came out and I saw the commercials.
Speaker 2: I hadn't even heard about story.
Speaker 5: Well, so they play they play Storry a lot, like during basketball games, because I do think that they're they're there's specific there's something about like lemon lime soda that is targeted like towards like black men. Okay, it's a thing, a lot of black men. I can't explain it. Okay, it's it's just the thing. And and I don't know if you know it's whether it's a chicken or the egg, but they're always throwing it at me.
Speaker 3: Okay, got it.
Speaker 5: I feel like my entire life. So I saw the commercials a lot for story, and I was like, I don't this is weird. This is a weird drink. The mascot looks weird. But Keiki Palmer is in the commercial and she's sitting courtside, like courtside at a game, and a player becomes like an anthropomorphized version of of like lemon lime drink, and she kisses the the drink. It's a weird commercial. But I like Palmers. I wasn't mad, you know, so I'm like, okay, but I ultimately I think they're playing themselves because it's it's it's a stupid it's a stupid mascot. And and and I was confused.
Speaker 4: Well wait, because you might think that one of these other brands is playing themselves more so so wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I hear you, but I hear you. Sorry, sir, Now, it's it's it's confusing. It's confusing. But you know, we appreciate any mention of a corporation playing themselves.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's right, that's kind of the whole point.
Speaker 5: So I just really wanted to shit on Stary.
Speaker 3: No, it's fine, it's understandable, Vanessa, you have any thoughts on Storry Cierah missed.
Speaker 4: I you know, I hadn't heard of this, and I'm I'm also surprised I haven't seen that commercial because I'm such a commercial person and I've seen I love watching commercials and then either you know, kind of loving them or hating them. Anyway, I'm shocked that Cierra Mist hasn't made more of a dent in sprites profits because, yeah, I feel like it's such a famous drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's you.
Speaker 4: Know, obviously they're coming in big with an ad campaign and hopefully that works for them. But to go from Cerr Mist is such a known brand to Starry, I just I don't know. I don't know if they played themselves, but it looks like they might have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with both it. Yeah, Starry sounds like like a generic like Walmart brand of lemon line, you know what I mean. Like it doesn't it's it's too I don't think. I think. I think Starry's gonna last like two years and then they're going to go back to Cerr Mist or something. And maybe this is part of yeah, Pepsi Co's you know, bigger plan. You know, who knows. I mean, I would not put it past their ceo Raymond Legarda. I mean this guy.
Speaker 5: Guys, he's Legarda drop the ball on the logo? Should we bring up the logo because it's.
Speaker 3: See I wish you would.
Speaker 2: Can we see it?
Speaker 1: Olivia?
Speaker 2: Will you bring it up? I gotta see this.
Speaker 3: By the way, I google the ceo and the articles an interview with them talking about how he doesn't think o Zembic is going to cut into his sales for potato chips and soda, and it's like, don't get me started. This guy again.
Speaker 4: We love to just especially Jonah loves to burn CEOs on here and I go, hey, Jonah, how may I.
Speaker 2: Ever going to get hired for a commercial again?
Speaker 3: Okay roast roasted?
Speaker 2: Sorry yeah yeah, lemon? I see it.
Speaker 3: Looks some wait, but there's like a person or there's a person in it.
Speaker 5: Or it's not. It's like a it's like a character, like a oh they have like a little like a little line person or unless I'm misremembering, but I just remember being like looking at a thing.
Speaker 3: I wish I could have sat in those like marketing meetings where they're like, we need a new lemon lime. See your myst isn't working what's the title what Outer Space Stars Stars? Yeah, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Almost like a little Eminem. Yeah, a little Eminem person. But instead of that, like the Eminem the little Eminem characters, it's a little person that looks like an eminem.
Speaker 3: But then Eminem wearing like a little suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little green and yellow jumpsuit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'd being like, oh, I'm Lemon on the inside and lem I'm on the outside. Well I'm the opposite, yeahid.
Speaker 3: But I'm at the end of the day, it's just a bunch of sugar and artificial flavors.
Speaker 4: Okay, Wow, Okay, Well, I'm gonna get into this next product that got discontinued in twenty twenty three, which is McDonald's McCafe sweets. So the apple fritter, the blueberry muffin, and the cinnamon roll are gone. McDonald's discontinued its selection of McCafe bake goods consisting of an apple. Okay, I just told you they got rid of those in July, marking the end of a three year run for the sweet treats. Zarah, what do you think about this this discontinue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I feel like McDonald's has a strong established game of sweets with the mcclury.
Speaker 2: Interesting, you know, but less of a breakfast Well.
Speaker 5: It's in terms of like sweets and stuff. So but I don't know. Like I again, I haven't been to McDonald's probably since like two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I don't Well, I think I do love this headline I found about this from today dot com that says the biggest fast food chain is making a big change to its baked goods lineup and while customers aren't loving it.
Speaker 4: It sounds like you wrote that, Jonah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I guess some customers are upset about this. I mean, to me, uh, cut up butt but bummer.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, I'm looking at photos of these, I don't know, an apple fritter, blueberry muffett. I find it hard to find a muffin I like these days, and I guarantee you this one from McDonald's probably so sweet and okay. I don't know. To me, it's like I would never order this stuff. I don't think we need it, As the kids today would say, you know, I think Apple fritter's just hit different when they're coming from McDonald's. Made by like all artificial ingredients. So I'm gonna sakay not feeling this one. Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my first instinct is like the kind of elitist in me wants to be like, don't get your bake goods from McDonald It's like, you can do better, everybody. But I also understand that, you know, sometimes you're in a rush you want a bake good, you know, and also maybe you don't live somewhere where there's you know, a place where you can get other things like that. So again, I think this is hard because it sounds like the three of us didn't know that this ever existed.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And also I don't know why my brain went from like baked goods just to like desserts.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah right right, you.
Speaker 5: Know say, because I was like I went straight to But now that I'm thinking of like fast food like baked goods.
Speaker 3: Like they can't be making this stuff. Like they're not making.
Speaker 5: No, no, there's no way.
Speaker 2: It's like didn't they used to have apple pie or something.
Speaker 5: They used to have those apple pies I remember they had, and they came in like a little like skinny box yeah yeah, yeah, and they would like heat them I remember sort of liking them as a kid, but like those are complete, you know, garbage as a kid, but I remember those those being good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it doesn't seem like these are like those little skinny bucks apple Yeah.
Speaker 3: Probably No. I think this is trying to compete more with like Starbucks and stuff, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, yeah, I don't feel super bummed about this one going away. But I also you know, according to that article, people are not loving it, so that's something to con say. Yeah, now, Jonah, do you want to read this next one, which there are so many articles about.
Speaker 2: People are so shocked this news just broke that.
Speaker 3: This is just broke. This isn't even in the CNN Business article. Okay, fruit stripe gum is being discontinued after more than fifty years. Food and Wine magazine reported the gums manufacturer for Our Candy sod they'll discontinue it for Our Candy did not respond to USA Today's request for comment, but in a statement told Food and Wine, we have made the difficult decision to sunset fruit stripe gum. The company added they did not take the decision lightly and considered many factors coming to this decision, including consumer preferences and purchasing patterns. I mean, can we just talk about the fact that they said, we have made the difficult decision to sunset fruit stripe gum.
Speaker 5: Also, how are they getting like, how are they getting space in Food and Wine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, Like they should be. I feel like the article should be in like, you know, Convenience Storm magazine monthly or something like Food Wine seems a little like.
Speaker 4: Just a sign up at the drug store that said fruit stripe gum is no longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it seems generous for Food and Wine to be like, let me give you guys space to speak on discontinuing this.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and then the flowery poetic language about Sunset it's like you can say you're discontinuing it. It's you know, it's like, we get it. It's gum. So what do you think about fruit stripe gum be discontinued after fifty years? Uh?
Speaker 5: I don't miss it. I didn't like it. I felt like they were appropriating zebras. When I was a kid, I was like, yeah, this is you guys were I remember them using like a zebra and their their thing. I don't miss it. I remember it being a gum that was sort of like it would taste good for a minute, not even a minute, like ten seconds, so I don't miss it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fair, Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 4: Well, it's funny because this gum just came up in the episode we did with Carrie and Corn when we're talking about juicy fruit gum.
Speaker 3: Juicy fruit was Slater Kenna.
Speaker 4: Yes to me, I'll be honest, I didn't know it still was out, Like, I didn't know you could still get it for sure, but maybe we on the podcast someone said you can't still get it.
Speaker 2: But my issue always with fruit stripe gum was it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't I don't remember it being very as a kid, I don't remember it being very tasty, like, yeah, it's sort of I'll say this, I'll say this, I don't really care how my gum looks. I more care how it tastes. And I feel like with fruit stripe gum, the whole gimmick was that it looks like it's got zebra stripes, and I'm going, it's going in my mouth no matter what, and I don't really care.
Speaker 2: You know that it has zebra stripes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's condescending. You're going to make this thing look cool, but you're not gonna do the work.
Speaker 3: Give me it tastes good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, give me the freshest, fruitiest flavor and make it last for a long time, and then I'll buy your fucking gum.
Speaker 2: If you're just.
Speaker 4: Gonna put a little zebra stripes on it, guess what it's going to be sunseted.
Speaker 5: Guess what it's going to be sunset And to use fucking starry language, you're not being true to fruit.
Speaker 3: Wow. That's right. Wow, that's right.
Speaker 2: You're not being true to fruit.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Jonah, what do you think? Do you think they play themselves?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, unfortunately I do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: I want to say that they did have a logo Zebra. The zebra's name was Yipes, and Yipes was sort of the mascot. Yipes would skateboard, play baseball, hand glide, play soccer and playing tennis and eating grass.
Speaker 5: So yeah, maybe if that zebra had an African accent, because zebra didn't seem like it was a real zebra. Yeah to me, yeah, other than being multi colored. Yeah, but I didn't buy I didn't buy that.
Speaker 4: Zebra for one second. Also, zebras can't really skateboard.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: There's a family of stripes stripe animal zebra, tiger, elephant, and a mouse. But then they kind of just consolidated it all into Yipes the zebra, Yipe stripes fruit stripe. That was a song. Yeah. To me, it's like, oh yeah, if someone offered me a piece of fruit striped gum, I would be like no, and like why, like why do you have that? Like I feel like I'm just gonna go straight to the dentist or something.
Speaker 4: Also with the songa like this yipes stripes fruit striped gum?
Speaker 2: Is that how it was?
Speaker 3: That's it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Did it really go that one?
Speaker 3: Yes? It really did not like that? It really?
Speaker 2: Do you remember it?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it really went like that, but also not that catchy kind of surprised.
Speaker 2: I remember it. That's wheally played themselves.
Speaker 5: That's where they played themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Just if a kid had fruit stripe and you were like get out, like get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it'd be like if someone had like fruit by the foot, now you want me to rip you off like six inches of gum, I'd be like nah, I'm good, Like I got to eat this sandwich.
Speaker 5: I get this Bubblicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was just gonna say.
Speaker 4: In this age of there's a lot of brands, we're all competing. If you're gonna give me a fun, cool kid gum, give me bubblicious, give me bubble um. Don't give me fruit stripe gum, because you know what I'm gonna say, yikes, it's not interested.
Speaker 5: Not interested. Even give me that. Give me that Charleston chew that like weird thing that was well, it was like mimicking chewing tobacco.
Speaker 3: Oh uh, big leach, big lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think Charleston chees are like kind of a harder caramel candy, which also give me that doesn't sound bad. So now we all have to decide which company played themselves the most. Is it sera mist McDonald's for getting rid of McCafe sweets or is it fruit striped gum?
Speaker 3: And just to clarify, just because this almost seems counterintuitive, the thing that you're picking is the thing you want to bring back, the thing you want to bring back the most, not the company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we're the most mad at the company because we're getting rid of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, that makes sense. It is I think I'm gonna I'm gonna stick with the thing that I jumped on a immediately breaking the rules of the game, which was cerrmis slash story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think they played themselves because it's hard to compete against Sprite. But I feel like I knew cerr Mist is sort of this like scrappy thing, and I would be rooting for it to have some sort of comeback. If you had maybe like a cool campaign with Kiki Palmer, you know, doing her thing, I'd be like, oh, okay, okay, Zerra Mist, Like, yeah, you know, I like I would, I would tend to maybe root for CRM miss.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So I think they play themselves. Yeah, I agree. I totally agree one hundred percent with Zora. I think like like a metaphor for this would be like, let's say I had a car and my neighbor had a car and their car ran way better than mine, and I was like, I need to improve my car. I guess I'll just like painted a different color. Right, Like you're not getting to the to the thought and maybe I'm like adding like a new like decorative thing on my steering wheel. It's like you're just kind of changing the name of something, but you're not doing the work right and you know that it doesn't really change it. So to me, it's like, you get the smartest marketing guys in there, they come up with the name, they come up with these little lemon lime dudes. But to me, it's like they're not doing the work, and it's it's I don't think it's gonna last, Vanessa, what about you?
Speaker 2: I agree with both of you.
Speaker 4: Although I will say this, I do think they've worked on the flavor a little bit. I do think there's a difference, and I'd like to try it before I make my before I really tell them they play themselves, although I will tell them they play themselves right now.
Speaker 2: But I guess my thing.
Speaker 4: Is like I feel like, exactly they could have done Cira miss now with a bold new flavor, you know, and then get key ki Plmer in there and get just like you said, like I feel like just going with a whole new name and a whole new brand. It's you know, I think Unfortunately, even without trying it, I gotta say I think they play themselves.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right, because you know what other soda make the same thing that rebranded themselves. That was in a distant second, the entire time PEPSI. Yeah, you know what they did. They're like, hey, Cindy Crawford, Hey, Sindey Crawford, get over here and drink this thing and make everyone obsess over it. And that's what they did. But they didn't. They didn't do that, And so Geeky Palmer could have been there.
Speaker 3: Since that's right, that's right, it's true. Where does where does seven up fit in this? Because seven Up kind of seems.
Speaker 4: Like everyone's acting like seven up doesn't exist. Everyone's being like Sprite. They want to compute with Sprite. It's like, also, this article is kind of rude. It's like seven Up much.
Speaker 5: I know, I know there's like is there a game named after Sprite?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: But there is ever heard of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I ever heard of it? Like throughout your entire school is the funnest game. You guys probably played it a lot because you were in Cleveland. You had like a lot of sloe.
Speaker 3: I remember playing a lot of seven Up as a kid.
Speaker 5: Because we got it. Maybe there was like a week or something where there was like some intense storm in northern California and I was like, oh, my god, we get to play it heads up, seven up, But I just I cann't imagine everybody.
Speaker 2: Puts everybody puts their head down on the desk and someone's standing at the front of the room, and what's the point of the game.
Speaker 3: Again, they touch your head and then you have to guess who did it, who kind of tapped you?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, the way we would play it is they would touch your.
Speaker 3: Thumb, Yeah, your thumb. They would touch our heads. We'd have to put our head down and they would touch the top of our head. Really yeah.
Speaker 4: I think probably as times changed, they were like, don't touch people's oh our producer Olivia the thumb version two ours was one hundred and can I be honest, I kind of prefer head because you don't want someone people kids has a dirty hands.
Speaker 5: Like yeah, I agree, because I remember like the asshole kids would like hit your thumb like really hard. So it was like this, It was like this sort of fear that if you got picked and you had like a mean kid, that your thumb would get like sort of jammed. I just remember being like it.
Speaker 3: Had this danger of it sounds like the opposite of a fun game.
Speaker 5: Olivia did Olivia probably remembers.
Speaker 4: The thing is yeah, she does remember. The thing is hitting your head, and no one would hit your head hard. I don't think, although maybe people did and I just never experience. Now. No, I don't think that, And I think with the teacher watching, it'd be a lot harder to hit someone's head hard, whereas like someone's thumb, you could do it without someone noticing. But god, those are probably the same kids in battleball who are just like whipping the ball. It's like, can those kids know what those kids did? They played themselves.
Speaker 5: They played themselves absolutely.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Zora, this has been so much fun.
Speaker 4: Where can people find you other than in front of story, going who's getting this?
Speaker 5: Who's getting this? Because I'm not, Yeah, and we're not. I'm on Instagram at Zora p kong Gaga my full name, not on Twitter. If you want to hear the whole story, like you can about my my prank, it's just google Zora this American.
Speaker 3: Life right right the whole.
Speaker 5: If you want like the story and obviously listen to it, listen to it here because this is breaking.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, No, but it is. If people want to hear really an in depth version of it. I listened to it on This American Life to you talking about it, and it's very interesting and fun to listen to.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, And if you want to see me do freestyle rap improv, come to come to UCP.
Speaker 2: Great, you want to do a little bit right now.
Speaker 5: I would. If you want to throw me a beat, no I can't. I can only do it.
Speaker 2: I kind of did that to you on purpose to like put you on the spot.
Speaker 5: But we always make fun of musical improv too. It's like I remember and I love that for your room, just knowing that we both have done sort of a version of it but all and know how embarrassing it is. But it's also so fun.
Speaker 4: Like teaching a bunch of kids that like the way you do musical improv is like it's really good to think of the second word you're going to say so you can rhyme the first word with the second word.
Speaker 2: And I always was just horrible at it.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of a lot of brain math, and I'm sort of again this is back to trying to be cool. It's like, this is me still still trying to be like Tupac. But what's my version of being Tupac is doing freestyle rap improv hell Sora.
Speaker 4: But I guarantee you're a lot better at acting like Tupac than I am, because I Uh, when I get out there and I'm trying to do any kind of musical or rapping improv, I look like an absolute mora ugh.
Speaker 5: I would love I would love to see it.
Speaker 4: It'll happen. Well, that was so much fun. Thanks so much DISSAA for joining us and everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye up for next week's episode of How Did We Get Weird?
Speaker 2: We will discuss more stories.
Speaker 4: From our childhood and cultural touchdowns like trying to be cool. Thank you so much, Soura, Thanks Surah. It also consisted
Speaker 1: A version