Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, The rhyming couplet in your daily puzzle Sonnet, I am your host, AJ Jacobs. If you're interested in what I had for lunch today, I had a delicious sampling of laughy taffy nutter butter Reese's Pieces, wing Dings and tooty fruity ice cream. That is not true, But what is true is I love rhyming words. I love a pair of rhyming words because I'm a word nerd, which is another two word rhyme. And I bring this up because two word rhymes are the basis of our puzzle today. It's a puzzle genre sometimes called wordy gurdy, and we're going to play it with our wonderful and brilliant guest, Joel Stein, host of a Story of the Week. Welcome Joel Stein.
Speaker 2: I love a rhyme. I love it. I love repetition. I love a rhyme. I love a literation. I love repetition.
Speaker 1: Good one. Do you have a two word rhyme that is a that comes to mind a favorite?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I was going to do one on Joel. I forgot about that, so, like you know, if it were.
Speaker 2: I always liked Beyond Neon from an early Genesis album. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right, well I like it. That is not the answer to any of our clues today, so we're safe. But this game wordy Gurdy, some of our puzzler listeners may remember it because it was hugely popular in the eighties. It was in newspapers that ran next to crossword puzzle, and it was created by a guy named Tricky Ricky Kane.
Speaker 2: No, none of this is true.
Speaker 1: All of that is true. It's not his real name, but that part is true.
Speaker 2: It was it's time.
Speaker 1: It was Yeah. I wouldn't say it quite reached Sudoku proportions, but it was like half Sudoku and it was an eighties puzzle. And I bring that up because you were once a beloved talking head on the VH one Nostalgia com Trademark series. I love the eighties.
Speaker 2: I love the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, these two word phrases are all related to eighties pop culture.
Speaker 2: So I want to get got my confidence up. You guys, beat me back down.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, no, I'm feeling good for you. So I'll give you the clue and then the answer is going to be a two word rhyming phrase Okay. While studying human behavior in Boulder, Colorado, this alien amassed a large collection of cutlery mark Mark sparks. You got it. You got it so fast, it's my favorite so far. When not filming Purple Rain, this singer liked to make these delicious Jewish cheese filled creps. Prince Blinz princess Lyin says exactly, I like, how fast you are.
Speaker 2: I'm going singular, you're going plural, So you prefer the player, I kind of do. Okay, got it, got it? Nice one.
Speaker 1: All right, it's not a race. Though, it's not a race, don't worry. But also I will say I felt a little guilty because the Prince and he had the formerly but in the eighties I believe he was prince. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course no, he just did that for a lawsuit. Yeah, he wanted to put out albums, but he was contractually obligated under Prince to not you know, he was still he put his own albums as the symbol, which we pronounced as the artist formulis Prince, but he didn't call himself that. I called himself the symbol. And then when the contract expired, he went back to Prince, so he's mostly princes.
Speaker 1: Well that that lawsuit? Yeah, okay, we got just a couple more. This director had a collection of props from his films, including Farris Sneakers and Uncle Buck's Brown Oxford's.
Speaker 2: Oh Hughes shoes, huge shoes.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got it, all right, I'm glad that took a little longer. That was good, all right. Last one, it was fast, so fast one? What are these? What are these? Sam Malone's terror of being in a long term relationship? Cheers fears you didn't even let me finish. But yeah, okay, I enjoyed this so much.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I was having a lot of fun. How you do this all day? If you have five more, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Well, can I give you the rest of the clues, because they're like it's a trio, it's like a rule of three. Sam Malone's terror being in a long term relationship. Diane Chambers is worried she's too smart for her own good, and Norm Peterson is afraid he's got a drinking problem and clinical depression.
Speaker 2: Cheers fears.
Speaker 1: There you got it, but don't you think like they made very light of the fact that norm like was you know, oh what, Yes.
Speaker 2: The whole show, they made light of everything. I mean, Sam is an alcohol hallock faced with bottles of booze every day. I mean that there's so much tension in drama. It's a horrible decision and we totally ignore it for the whole show. It reminds me of my two dads, where that the dark truth of two men impregnating, you know, having sex with this woman's mom in the same month rarely addressed.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that was the premise. I thought it was like the first gay sitcom.
Speaker 2: No, they're not gay. They didn't have the guts for that. They were both straight, and they didn't know who was the dad, so they both did responsibility. So if you had twenty.
Speaker 1: Three in me, yeah, that would ruin the premise.
Speaker 2: But I mean, that's a dark idea, like some girls being raised by two men who both had sex with their mom in the same month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is interesting. Yeah, I'm thinking about it also, but uplifting because they're both like, you know, maybe it's nice that they well, Joe, you were too good. Sorry, you're too good. Congratulations, we loved it. Where can people hear more of your exclusive content.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not that quick usually, so you help to slow it down and listen to my podcast Story of the Week.
Speaker 1: Which is great, and you can listen on double speed to make him sound that's right. That's good call, all right, this one as always. Don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and and like it. Oh yeah, thank you, thank you. See that's your veteran podcaster for you at home. We have an extra credit. This character does not like having Lenny and Squiggy over to her home because they always knock over her leafy, flowerless plants. There you have it. Please come back. We'll see you tomorrow for some more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, and I'm here to share with you the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played a game with Joel Stein all about kids' riddles, but we did it in reverse form. Instead of giving you the riddle, we gave you the answer and you had to give us what the riddle is. The extra credit was it waved many of you who are probably bad punsters, dads or former kids knew that the answer was how did the ocean say hello to the shore?
Speaker 2: That's right, it waved ha.
Speaker 3: Thanks for playing along, and we'll puzzle together again soon