Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's give a shout out to our super producer, mister Max one Hand Williams. Who Ah, who Rah, who is Hurrah Otowski? I'm Ben Bullen, You're Old Brown. And this is a very very special special episode maybe series for us, because Noel, you'll recall back in December of twenty twenty three, we had a good friend of ours on the show and there was an episode that we really wanted to do.
Speaker 2: I was already in the bag man, you just didn't have the time.
Speaker 1: We are making the time, of course, because we have a luminary, a returning guest, a member, as you said off air, of the Ridiculous History Pantheon, the legendary author, the thought Leader, I would say, of all things, ladies, constitution. Yeah, this is this is the return of our good friend, none other than the puzzler himself, Aj Bahamas Jacobs, Aj. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: It's great to be That's the best intro I've ever got. I'm going to leave beside yourself, illuminary thought Leader, my ego is huge. I'm going to my trailer, you know, I gotta say aj before we get into today's episode.
Speaker 4: I thought of you recently. I was in Boston walking the Freedom Trail, which is like a very constitutionally minded is he walking tour that takes you through some of the cool little back old English he kind of you know, parts of Boston. And the craziest part that happened was as my friend and I were walking along, having just seen Ben Franklin's family plot, we see off in the distance that's very familiar sight and it's a star of internet meme fame.
Speaker 2: The cop slide. Do you know about the cops Slide?
Speaker 3: I don't know about it?
Speaker 4: Is so, there was this video that made the rounds last year sometime where there was this unfortunate cop who went down this slide for children that's really really tall and he shoots out of.
Speaker 2: It like a rocket.
Speaker 4: The internet went nuts, and there's some guys that I follow on YouTube the Internet Today Show who conjecture they have this whole theory thing about how it was because of his police belt, his utility belts and all the metal on it that would like totally eliminate friction down this metal slide that caused him just to rocket out of that thing like a bullet. And so me and my friend were just beside ourselves. It was like seeing a celebrit And I've made a video of him sliding down it very gently.
Speaker 2: There was no issue with me, did you slide?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I was not getting stuck in there like Pooh Bear in the tree.
Speaker 4: No. But I made the video and I asked him how what was the experience like for you? It's apparently also a sign at the top that says don't go down head first.
Speaker 2: The cop also went down head first. Well, so you.
Speaker 1: Get in situations. We also, uh, just for a recap everyone previously, AJ, we had you on because very excited about your show, The Puzzler Monday through Friday show wherein you present all sorts of people with a number of spoiler alert, increasingly arcane puzzles over the course of a week.
Speaker 2: Are is there a number? How many are we talking here? Is it just your discretion? AJ?
Speaker 3: You mean the number of puzzles?
Speaker 2: The number of puzzles? Is it codified it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, it's guesses on for the week, so we have we usually give him four or five puzzles one a day and uh, and Ben Noel is going to be on in a couple of weeks. Ben was just recently on and he was fantastic. And I told him off air that my wife said to me after he was on, she said, I like that Ben Bolan a lot, and it was the emphasis was like a little alarming, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Show your wife Ben Bolan's in the house. Thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Well, we also we also want to say that we just had such a fantastic time learning about the history of crosswords, uh, learning about where Waldo actually is and was.
Speaker 4: From Nudity right right children's book uh huh, and my takeaway at.
Speaker 1: A famous cue by guys. Some of our fellow ridiculous historians might be familiar with rubric and all the iterations thereof. But one thing we did not get to in our previous explorations together was the idea of the ultimate puzzling games, the ultimate concept of discerning truth in hidden messages.
Speaker 4: And things in plain sight, you know, like important things dare we say, classified government secrets, you know. And by the way, I was still excited about doing this one. I think I accidentally teased it first before the episode. We actually did and had to take it back. Yeah, so I've been I've been rare to go for this one since since December.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aj, the first one is good. Also, we got to keep the Bahamas nickname going and never explain it.
Speaker 2: So the uh I don't know what it means?
Speaker 1: Sure me neither neither, uh so the uh so, the h This is our long awaited episode about something called read craft spycraft to the uninitiated ag what How would you set this up for us? What really drew you to this concept as a guy who's an expert on puzzles.
Speaker 3: Well, I yeah, I wrote a book about puzzles and puzzles and trade craft. Thank you for teaching me that that phrase I was, I was saying spycraft like a loser.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're inchangeable. You're fine.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well they are kissing cousins. As you said, they have been a ramp because they both involve deciphering codes. These you send a secret message and the enemy is trying to solve the puzzle basically, so this has been true since the start of spying, So I thought we could talk a little about that. And then there's some that are even more direct crossovers between spying and puzzles, like actual crossword puzzles that are involved with spy scandals.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't wait to get to that one. That one I was not aware of at all, And I'm very much aware of the surrounding material, but just not that particular detail.
Speaker 2: Vague, I know. But we'll get to it, we promise.
Speaker 4: But maybe yeah, to start off, I mean, you know, the term decipher obviously comes from the term cipher, which I think is also awesome that it's set to stand in for like hip hop lyrics, like really good flow because you know, if you're a good MC, you can hide coded messages in the cadences and in the you know, not like morse code. But I mean, you know, listening to good rap is like listening to a story where not everything is what it seems because there's so many little things buried. You have to know references, you have to know certain details about the person's life. There's all these hidden little things. I just think that's so fascinating about puzzles in general, but specifically these kind of word based puzzles.
Speaker 2: Right And by the.
Speaker 3: Way, I did recently for some reason search morse code in pop songs, and there's a list of about some of them, including Rush. Rush is very famous for their.
Speaker 4: Into that numerology stuff. For Rush, those guys are another ancients. Yeah, and Tool as.
Speaker 1: Well their drummer. Oh and the Journey and Tool both have such phenomenally talented drummers that work in such innovative ways for their time that I wouldn't be surprised if they accidentally wrote entire paragraphs in morse code just doing triplets and breakdowns and stuff.
Speaker 2: I think you mean Rush and Tool, but I like Journey too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I meant Rush, but I also like Journey, all.
Speaker 2: Right, all three Journey in the same echelon.
Speaker 1: No, no, wait, Nola, you did you stop believing?
Speaker 2: I never stopped believing, and I won't stop believing.
Speaker 4: And that song is forever intrinsically linked to the Sopranos season finale in my mind and the minds of anyone.
Speaker 2: That saw that. Love it all right.
Speaker 3: Well, moving from Rush and Toul and Journey to back to the ancient Roman, they had some of the first ciphers, the famous Caesar cipher, which you might have heard of. This is where you shift one letter three or four or two spaces on the alphabet. It's probably the most basic. It's the one you see like if you go to a chain restaurant and they have the kids' menus, they'll have a Caesar cipher for the kids.
Speaker 4: So that's also really interesting kind of primer for these get so much more complex the keys to these things. So that's actually really helpful for me because I usually come in hot on like mega complex ones and this is so above my pay grade. But to understand, this is sort of the building block for what could then be tweaked and mangled all kinds of crazy ways.
Speaker 3: Right, this is the one of the most basic, and you probably know, but if it's a Caesar one, you move at one space, so A would be b ben would be CFO, which is interesting, and NOEL would be OPFM. But you can shift at eight or fourteen, And like you said, Noel, it's kind of a building block because then the next level is called a visionnaire cipher, and that is and you have a bunch of different Caesar ciphers in the same message and you keep switching between them, and uh, but there are hundreds of these ciphers. There's uh, there's the zig zag cipher. I love that one.
Speaker 2: There's the.
Speaker 3: The Arnold cipher, which gets us back to spying because that was named after not me. My first name actually is Arnold, but it's named after Learning.
Speaker 2: I don't mean it's shocked. It's a fine first name.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it is not as I mean it is in the and when we looked at baby books, it was the list of names that will never come back in stay.
Speaker 4: It's an old person's name. At this point, it's kind of up there with Ruby, you know. I put it over a Harold, you know, thank you. Yeah, it was like Harold and Maudge so much.
Speaker 1: I'll always oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: But Moud's the breakout of that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But so okay, so this these building blocks. The thing that we have to remember as we're hearing this in twenty twenty four is that, with the benefit of retrosp fact, this may sound very easily discernible. This may sound very like easy to figure out. You know, you'd say, CFO, let me just shift the letters or what.
Speaker 2: Have you, because that's because yeah, but that's the hindsight talking right.
Speaker 1: So for centuries, for centuries, these kinds of ciphers were deployed. I think it's fair to say, uh with with great success, the the Arnold cipher, which I I don't think correct me here a j. I don't think Benedict Arnold referred to it as the Arnold cipher because that would blow up his spot.
Speaker 3: I wasn't boasting at the tavern, right, I got this new cipher called but but.
Speaker 1: So it's already illustrative here the power of the puzzles in this way, like the the idea of, as you said, the zigs cipher, the basic move a letter, a couple spaces kind of thing that baffled people, and it worked quite well for many, many centuries. It's just nuts and bananas. I don't know why I'm siting breakfast references too.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing you.
Speaker 4: Say, Ben, that's one of your back pocket phrases. I'm just gonna be a nerd for like five seconds. I've been getting more into math lately because I've Aju and I had a lovely breakfast at Barney Greengrass in New York, and I told you about my modular synth craze, and within modular synthesis and just synthesis in general, there's a lot of math, and there's a lot of In order to make what's called generative music, you use things that resemble these kind of ciphers, and these shifting things are something called euclidian sequencing, where you basically set a number of squares it could be thirty two. Think of the squares as a step of musical information music that you have Euclidean triggers, and they're offset from the number of steps, and as the thing triggers when it triggers, if it's less and the number of steps, it'll start to make these weird permutations as it cycles back on it. So and just there's so much math and all kinds of stuff in sense, But that really came to mind when you're talking about shifting those characters. Think of those letters being placed on a grid and then like shifting everything around as you have more and more complex permutations. That's when things really get like incredibly difficult and complex, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and absolutely, like you say, it can be visual, it can be. The zigzag cipher is one where you have to arrange them in a certain way. And by the way, they are not even the basic ones. Okay, the caesar cipher's not bad, but the Visionaire cipher is pretty hard to crack, and the way you attack them is they still use the same method now, which is frequency analysis, because some letters in the English language are common and some are not, right, like E, like e exactly.
Speaker 1: My mother for a very long time was an educator and one of her favorite little riddles to give children was what is the most common word in the English language?
Speaker 2: I love it?
Speaker 3: Right, So I'm guessing it's the Oh you nailed it?
Speaker 1: Wait, who show is this?
Speaker 3: So I'm a puzzle expert, y, you are a puzzle expert.
Speaker 4: And frequency analysis that's something I mean you wouldn't have to have computers necessarily to do that, right, This is something that could be done by hand.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean it is much better with computers because then you get to the second level of frequency analysis, Like certain letters are often next to each other, so you know, you might see a lot of g h's, but you don't see a lot of gzs or qus, right, all.
Speaker 2: Of these things that would help you out very much. And wordle when.
Speaker 4: You're trying to like figure out what the word is, You've got a number of squares, what are the ch you know which ones are you going to cross off your list first, you know, those are first go to attempts, kind of those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get the vowels at least in the English language. And and of course the problems or the not the problem. The question changes depending upon the language, especially if it's a non Latin language. Can you imagine a cipher a Caesar cipher in Mandarin that boggles different.
Speaker 2: Rules though, right, And I think you can have that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you could have something.
Speaker 2: Like that, but it would be very hinetic version that It's fascinating.
Speaker 3: I remember I once I once visited Iceland, and I remember playing scrabble in Iceland and it was hilarious because the j's and the z's were like worth two points or one point. And so yeah, it definitely depends on what alphabet you're using.
Speaker 1: So sore buddy Benedict Arnold has has this cipher that he is using to communicate with British forces or their proxies U during what turns out to be like one of the biggest judas Ariot like moves in American history. Could you could you tell us a little bit about how one of the few bad bends of history Uh was able to was able to do this, Like why did he do it, how did it work, and what was the end result. Obviously the other bad bend is Benito Mussolini.
Speaker 2: Other than his friends.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we had, but yeah, yes, so Benedict Arnold of course, uh became a spy for the British. And I actually listened to one. I don't think it was your podcast, but some podcasts was trying to sort of do a little revisionist history and rehabilitate him a little. I don't know if I buy that, but anyway, he he was talked about him recently and I think we were trump I was, at least to a point trying to see both sides.
Speaker 2: It gets to a point in his his Uh, he.
Speaker 1: Got he got passed over from promote.
Speaker 3: He didn't get a promotion, which he does ad he probably deserved it.
Speaker 2: So then he turned fully to the dark side, you know, right, so pretty uh irredeemable.
Speaker 3: And there's well, there's also the Yoko Ono conspiracy like that it was sort of his wife, who was very loyalist, who was the one who turned him.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 1: Agree she was the same Yoko Ono from the Beatles, by the way, Benedict Arnold was her first project, and then the Beatles and then hook performance.
Speaker 3: No one's the things you learn the things you learn. Well anyway, the Arnold ceipher is is done when both the spy and the person he's communicating with have the same exact book. So it could be the Bible could be pride and prejudiced. And each word in the secret code is clued with a three number code. So say the code you get the first part of the code is twelve nine seven. That means the first word is on the twelfth page of the ninth line, of the seventh word on that line.
Speaker 4: So the words in the books are just kind of your like literal magazine cut out, like kidnapping letters right right.
Speaker 3: Like refrigerator magnets. You're creating a little a little poem.
Speaker 1: A predecessor of the one time Pad, which I'm sure we'll get to, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I actually don't know the one time pad.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm very fun at parties, so we'll get there.
Speaker 2: We'll get there.
Speaker 1: But so, okay, so he's got so we've got a shared like to Nole's point about hiding a puzzle on plane sight. We've got a shared common publication that people can read like the same the same version of Bible or something. And then you've got we've got essentially a code directing you where to pull certain letters or certain certain words, or just letter by letters.
Speaker 3: It could be either. I actually used this what I wrote a book about puzzles, and I figured book.
Speaker 1: About what are dude, are you into puzzles?
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to in case you're just tuning in. But I wanted to include a secret code in the in the book, and I decided I should do the Arnold cipher. So my book does have an Arnold cipher.
Speaker 4: Goofed about doing that in our book, but you know how books go. You got to write them and then they tell you you got to turn it in yesterday, and then you don't have time anymore to do clever little tricks like that, or maybe you do because you had a better relationship with your publisher. But we did talk about that, Ben doing some little easter eggs hidden with page numbers or whatever in the footnotes and just didn't quite happen.
Speaker 2: But glad that you got it across the sad I did well.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous, like what if I messed the code up? And I will say this, if you're listening out there by, please buy the paperback version of The Puzzler, not or because the hard Fact does contain an error. And I just feel horrible about out it because it's I print a bunch of puzzles and one is called the World's Hardest KenKen Puzzle, and somehow there was a printing error and the world's Hardest KenKen Puddle is actually impossible to solve the way it's printed. So I just feel horrible, and I've sent out about four long apology notes. You know, I'll give you your money back.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little overkill personally. But you have a reference for puzzles, man, you know, like, nope, we're recalling all of them.
Speaker 3: No, I should have.
Speaker 1: Publisher that book. By the way, folks, for anyone playing along at home, it is a must read. It is called The Puzzler, One Man's Quest to Solve the most baffling Puzzles Ever. There is a hilarious jigsaw competition anecdote you can check out in our previous episodes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I got a jigsaw like coaster kind of situation, like a mini Yeah, and we use it all the time.
Speaker 2: It was a big hidden in the Brown households.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it. Yes, this is a one piece jigsaw puzzle which you can buy online.
Speaker 1: But AJ did did nascent Us authorities ever bust the Arnold cipher?
Speaker 2: Did they solve it?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: While he was question I should listen to previous Ridiculous History episodes to figure out how he was busted because I cannot remember. Do you remember anyone how he was busted?
Speaker 4: He was?
Speaker 1: Uh, let's see. So I don't think it was necessarily the cipher itself.
Speaker 2: It was some intercepted something.
Speaker 1: Something was intercept Maybe it's also it was in general his sketchy, resentful activity that gave him away.
Speaker 3: Well, it is an interesting point when you are at war and you decode, you crack the code of the other person, how much you have to be careful about letting on that you've cracked the code. And that was huge in World War Two, which we'll get to in a moment, but with the when we cracked the Nazi code, we had to sacrifice certain uh ships or battles because we didn't want to let on too much so.
Speaker 4: There're a thing where we even like had a cadaver with certain information in this pocket that was like the wrong information that they There was a film about that and with Benedict Cumber Badge meat.
Speaker 2: I can't remember, but okay, operation Min's meat.
Speaker 4: Max tells us yes in the operation meh no to your point of the levels that you have to go to the depths to cover your tracks to make sure the enemy doesn't know that you know what they know? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Uh what?
Speaker 1: It's also what what do we call it? Sometimes collection methods like you don't want people to know to Knowle's point, how you know a thing right and you want to feed some false information. Uh, funny side stories with that in addition to in addition to framing cadavers, basically they also they also had a thing where like the reason a lot of people in the West believe that carrots are great for your eyesight is because it was a myth spread to access forces to sort of downplay advances in aviation and surveillance.
Speaker 3: I love that story, and I actually that was one that I did know, and it is great because it is Yeah, they invented radar or sonar. I can't remember which one the British did, and yeah, they said, well, no, it's all because we eat carrots and that's why we have night vision and it's the best thing for the carrot industry. Ever, so I'm for your other show on conspiracies. I'm wondering if the carrot industry is sort of lobbied to make this happen.
Speaker 1: Big carrot is by far the number one sponsor of stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 4: It is known. It is literally just a big carrot with like an anthropomorphic carrot with eyes and a mouth like from an old Fleisher cartoon, you know, menacingly rubbing his green hands together.
Speaker 1: There is there is, there's our garret. And so so we know that we know that Benedict Arnold is is a common touch point, right, It's something that most Americans will go about. Indeed, I would say most people in the Western world are on some level aware of the skull duggery that Arnold engaged in. But you set up something quite beautifully at the beginning of our conversation today, AJ where you said crosswords might also be part of trade craft. And I know this is a shout out for any of our fellow ridiculous historians who have been playing a crossword and maybe like your bait or mainhoff comes out and you're thinking, is this crossword tried to tell me something like this? Why is this getting increasingly specific? Right?
Speaker 3: Well, like you said, I mean, we've been talking more generally about how puzzles and tradecraft are kissing cousins, but there are several times when they are more than kissing cousins, when the overlap is completely direct. So one of my favorite puzzles of all time is the crossword puzzle that saved the Free World. Maybe a little overstated, it helped save the free world. Let's just throw it say it that way. And this happened in nineteen forty two. The British newspaper The Daily Telegraph printed a particularly tricky crossword and it said that the people who solved the crossword in twelve minutes or less would should contact the number. And that number turned out to be Bletchley Park, which is the hood breaking operation in World War two that famously broke the Nazi enigma code and helped us win the war. A huge key and and of course you've covered him before. I loved your episode on Alan Turing thanks. So yeah, this this was a recruiting a secret recruiting tool for Bletchley Park. Were these crossword puzzles? And I will say they were not your average This was not your average cross This was a super tricky crossword puzzle.
Speaker 1: Did you did you play it yourself?
Speaker 3: I did, and I did not solve it in twelve minutes or I could not solve it in.
Speaker 2: Call yourself a puzzle expert? Were calling park right now? Oh my god.
Speaker 4: By the way, when we did talk about this episode, I just I think I commented that Bletchley Park is the most British sounding name for a place ever of all time. And I swear that I've already said that I wouldn't do it again. But modular sent people love Alan Turing. There's a module that's very popular called the Turing Machine, and it is a random voltage generator. It basically is like a way of generating random pulses of information that can be interpreted by different Since you know, it's all in honor of Alan Turing, who is a huge person in mathematics and AI and attack of all kinds.
Speaker 3: Hero hero and now instance I didn't even know.
Speaker 1: And also, by the way, just the way British culture tends to struggle with good names for food and dishes. Bletchley Park might as well be like some kind of bread that they made.
Speaker 3: Really does sound something you'd have at high t a little ually and Marmalade.
Speaker 1: Park.
Speaker 4: Wait, so this, this crossword puzzle was like a secret Jeopardy audition kind.
Speaker 3: Of exactly it was, and I, as we said, I did not solve it. We are very happy that World War two did not rest on my shoulders. But but let me just I want to give you and the listeners, let me just give you one example if I could, just to show you how tricky these things are, because British crosswords were and still are famous for their wordplay, their anagrams, palindromes, puns.
Speaker 2: Clever Brits, they are so clever the language or something.
Speaker 1: And everything, but again naming food right exactly.
Speaker 3: So here, let me give you seventeen across and and well I'll walk you through it because there's no way I would have gotten this without hints. All right, So the clue is it's a six letter word, and the clue is is this town ready for a flood? Is this town ready for a flood? Six letter. Oh you got it.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just appreciating the the artistry.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean I'm assuming that it's not going to be the name of a town.
Speaker 3: Well, let me walk you through it. What do you think of when you think of a flood? I think of like, yeah, most famous flood are sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All right?
Speaker 3: So yeah, noah, And as you said, what did he do to get ready for the flood? He had an arc? But if you're ready, you don't want an old arc, you want well exactly, I think it was Newark, England, but.
Speaker 1: Whatever, whatever I prefer.
Speaker 3: But yes, so that that's the kind of level of British.
Speaker 1: Let me give you this.
Speaker 3: Let me give you two more of these.
Speaker 4: We had the the ammunition, Ben and I. And to get there though I know you again, hindsight is a thing, but almost you know, if we it's one of those things. It's also to be appreciated that it kind of requires you to follow your intuition and to trust yourself and not to like second guess things.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you did say it was a town, you did say at the beginning. Well, next time I'll just let there be dead air and give no clues and we'll just wait.
Speaker 4: For I actually said, I bet it's no out of town. But now there are certain things in the parlance of crossword where you know a certain thing when it's said in a certain way, and a clue is a true thing, sure what the solution is going to be like otherwise the rules would be it'd be impossible right to kind of.
Speaker 3: Like we talked, there are definitely rules.
Speaker 1: We talked about the evolution of crossword nomenclature, little things that are now universal, Like if there is an abbreviation as a clue, then there is an abbreviation in the answer right.
Speaker 3: Action, so you have two more Well these are not from that puzzle, but they're the same kind of British puzzle. So for instance, this is a very famous clue. It's just the whole clue is gigs g E G S. That's the whole clue, and the answer is going to be a two word phrase nine letters, four letters, so gigs. You know, when I first saw this, I was like, what is a gig? I don't know what a gain? It sounds like something in the.
Speaker 2: Sine cockney rhyming slang kind of situation or something.
Speaker 3: Well, now that's interesting, you say, rhyming, but think of they like rhyming, but they also like anagrams a lot. So if you rearrange something eggs, but what kind of eggs are they? Grambled eggs, crambled eggs. Nice, Yeah, exactly, really good at this.
Speaker 2: You're definitely helping us out.
Speaker 3: A little bit, a little bit, a little bit of saved the world.
Speaker 2: But you know, but but I only mentioned Cockney rhyming slang.
Speaker 4: Is that, in and of itself, is a puzzle where you'll say, like, we're in I think I got this one from one of the Ocean's movies Oly Love and where the character says we're in Barney and he goes rubble trouble, Barney's trouble. But that's a example a puzzle, kind of rock, kind of Cockney ryming.
Speaker 1: As a as a as an actual MC person, the thing that bugs me about Cockney rhyming slang is they have no respect for meter or syllable count. They'll just go with the thing that rhymes.
Speaker 2: Ben is the breaking rap. Pretty good, thanks.
Speaker 1: Man, but definitely Nola and I need your help on these pretty fascinating and pretty storied crossword clues. For anybody who listened to our previous episodes with AJ. I think it was before we moved to your third British Crossword AJ. Can you remind the good people here of the crossword clue that was called like the most famous or best of all time and you said it was kind of mids.
Speaker 3: Well, I think maybe it was Will Schwartz's favorite of all time. That's the which is pretty good. I'm certainly better than anything I've written, but it was I believe this turns into another story. This turns into another story. Was the clue and the answer was a two word phrase and I guess I'll say it. You can paunt spires, yes, viral staircase, spial staircase.
Speaker 1: Which I still that wouldn't stuck in my head.
Speaker 4: Sometimes well, your mind immediately goes to like a page in a book or something right, and that's where the twist is, you know, because if you're focusing on that wrong thing, which is where they get you, then you're going to just spin yourself out right, and like you can really get my opic and lose objectivity with these things. So it really is a great exercise to kind of elasticize your mind, you know, and think in different directions.
Speaker 2: For stuff you know.
Speaker 3: Exactly, well exactly, you have to look at it in a different way, whether it's a different meaning or a different arrangement. So, for instance, the other very famous British crypto crossword clue is this. It's the whole clue is h I, J K l M And oh, just all those words in a line, all those letters in the line, H I, J K l M N.
Speaker 2: It's the alphabet.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, right, but where does it start? Where does it start? It starts at G No, no, h, I said, sorry, eh.
Speaker 2: Oh, so we're doing numbers here, we're doing nothing.
Speaker 3: No, no, Just what letters at the beginning and what letters at the end? Right, So it goes from H to water water exactly water.
Speaker 2: I'm being an adult. It's eight was the last one, and that is yes.
Speaker 3: The clue translated to H two O and then the answer is a five letter word.
Speaker 2: It's water. Very clear.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: So this requires several permutations, right to get that.
Speaker 1: Yes, So this really was a This actual nineteen forty two crossword in the Daily Telegraph was an actual ad for intelligence or cryptography operators.
Speaker 3: Yes, a secret recruiting tool and and who knows how many of them were recruited that way, but it was a four for good. On the other hand, there's another crossword puzzle in World War Two that I want to talk about that was the exact opposite. It was an agent of chaos. So are you ready for the second big crossword scandal. Well, this was also in the same newspaper, the Telegraph. Three years later, in nineteen forty five. They printed a series of puzzles in the days leading up to D Day, and these puzzles caused a national security crisis. They caused a frenzy because the problem was the answers to Several of the answers in those crossword puzzles were top secret code words related to D Day, like a crazy number like beyond.
Speaker 2: So no possible coincidence. There's somebody knew something or well, it's.
Speaker 3: Still debated whether it was.
Speaker 1: Let me.
Speaker 3: But listen to some of these words that appeared. You ta, which was a beach in the invasion Omaha. Another beach Neptune was Mulberry where the floating harbors. And this one weirdest of all was overlord.
Speaker 2: That's a weird one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not an regular word, you see, And.
Speaker 1: Unless you're really into che yeah, or less or unless you make jokes about corporate overlords. But that's the one that really scratches behind the ears of my stuff. They don't want you to know overlord. With the rest of the very.
Speaker 4: Specific choice, it feels like the use of that one is become more of like a shorthand, like for nefarious evil. Now, but I wonder how it would have been used in conversation back in those days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was clued as big wig and but it was. But overlord is is the actual code name for the whole D day. It's like the number one. So the British Secret Service notice this or someone alerted them to it.
Speaker 2: And round up these nerds.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they and everybody everybody at this point is I don't know, crosswords a very mainstream in British society at this point, right, So it would have it would have immediately been public knowledge, right, a worrisome thing. It's not like it's not like this showed up on a niche reddit forum and got two up votes. It's now, uh something the entirety of the Kingdom is putting together. So now everybody knows on some level, these like five words in relation to each other. But another thing about puzzles and codes is like knowing the words doesn't really matter if you don't know the context.
Speaker 2: They're like what they're referring to. So I can understand them freaking out a little bit, but it's not like the jig was up all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they had to find whomever made this and figure out if they were German.
Speaker 2: Well they did, okay, so they.
Speaker 3: Did actually round up the nerds, or one nerd in particular, the headmaster of.
Speaker 2: A school that is nerdy right here in the outlet.
Speaker 3: Listen, I am a nerd, so I feel I can throw it around recognized nerd.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: So he was.
Speaker 3: He was arrested and he was brought to London and they interrogated him extensively.
Speaker 5: And sorry, I'm laughing because I pictured like a picturing the old school, like old school heart boiled true crime procedurals where there's a chair in a harsh white way mirror and some guy in a powdered wig walks out and goes, what's the oting.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm also a picture. I mean, I don't know not to be morbid about it. But do you think they would have roughed him up a little bit?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 3: I'm guessing this guy he's a headmaster of like, uh, he's gonna still, he's gonna, he's gonna tury over and as well. Right, the Leonard Daw that's his name, and poor Leonard was interrogated, but he eventually they let him go because they decided it really was a weird coincidence.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yet the twist is, and this may be this better for your other show that there is still speculation that it was not a coincidence, so it's still debated. One theory is that DAWs students he uh used them to help him construct the crosswords that is that is known. Yeah, he did a little outsourcing, okay, But the school happened to be nearby a base and so the theory is maybe they were uves dropping and overheard the soldiers chatting.
Speaker 2: And it is an elaborate fu or what what are we like? Why do that? Though?
Speaker 3: Even in that circumstance, that's a point, Yeah, let's try to screw our country and also a goods.
Speaker 1: Also, we do know, Agadden, with the benefit of retrospect, that the war Old of British academia was would end up being pretty heavily compromised.
Speaker 3: I really know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that part you know, when you go when you go look at like the Cambridge Ring and stuff like that. Again, nothing occurs in a vacuum. I do like this theory, AJ, because it does sound like a cool teacher who's saying, hey guys today. Is it like his version of the substitute teacher who plays a movie and says, hey guys today, instead of worrying about you know, math or whatever, we're going to work on a crossword together. And then these these students are going My favorite words are omaha, utah, neptune, mulberry and wait for.
Speaker 2: It, overlord, overlord. How about that one? Right every one? What was it a big wig?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Barry bart Simpson. But luckily it did not cause the D Day to fail because that wouldn't have been as funny.
Speaker 2: I know that was that one was kind of important. They made some movies about that.
Speaker 1: They should take a couple Yeah, no, AJ, I think it's fair for us to ask at this point your your personal take. Now, with great respect, you've all obviously been very careful not to make any kind of like hyperbolic claim. You're proposing one common theory with this, But if we could, if we could get inside your mind a little bit, my friend, do you think it is?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: What's the line between like coincidence and conspiracy?
Speaker 3: Right, it is a great question. I would guess my I would say seventy percent chance it's a coincidence, thirty percent chance they there was something. Maybe it's funny, maybe, but it is. I mean, one thing you notice when you work with puzzles or and or history is just how much noise there is and how good we are as humans at finding the signal in.
Speaker 2: The patterns, pattern recognizing beings.
Speaker 3: Exactly after Fenia. That's one of my favorite words I learned.
Speaker 2: You know about that.
Speaker 3: They yeah, the it's the ability to find patterns that do not exist, and we are very good.
Speaker 2: So it's being cuckoo bananas basically exactly.
Speaker 1: And with that we are going to pause. We're going to call this part one of the Puzzler teaches the gang trade craft because we got some unpleasant messages from then. Essay, Uh, that just asked us to pump our brakes a little bit. So so We're gonna We're going to take a brief pause. We are going to continue this story later this week. In the meantime, aj Bahamas Jacobs, thank you so much for coming back onto the show. Where can people learn more about your work?
Speaker 3: Ah well, I love being on the show. It is a joy. I love listening, so now get to listen to myself. Please tune into The Puzzler, the Daily podcast featuring Ben Bollen and soon Noel Brown. I'm scared, No, don't be scared.
Speaker 4: You you are.
Speaker 3: I'm very easy with the hints, sokod time, I'm very gentle, lead me by the nose. Yes, there you go, so please, yes, tune into that.
Speaker 4: And in the meantime, huge thanks and wishing well are our nemesis Jonathan Strickland, the quister, who is on the mend after not feeling super well lately, so we hope to see him back very very soon.
Speaker 1: Yes he is, as I'm sure everybody's first question will be, is he still doing those obnoxious puns? The answer is yes, and you'll hear them on air. Thanks thanks also to our super producer mister Max Williams, his biological brother and the composer of this Bop and soundtrack. Mister Alex Williams nol. We got a cavalcade of people to thank real quick.
Speaker 4: Oh, of course always thanks to Chris frosciotis here in spirit, along with Eve's Jeff Codes and boy, I don't know. I don't know about a laundry list, but you count for at least five humans in the weight that your thank you kats at the end of this program.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, we're doing credits like the Electoral College. Well well, five, thanks you, five, thank yous to you as well, mister Brown. We're extremely excited to explore trade craft with you Aja in an upcoming episode. Oh my gosh, can we do spoilers? There's a puzzle the CIA cancel.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.