Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody? Welcome to the Giltias Charge Podcast. My name is Steven and I am the host as always, and we're presented by the Chargers Podcast Network of course. Join me is my guy, Tyler, Tyler something, how you doing today?
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic. I'm on cloud and I no handstands though I can't. I can't do that again. I was sore for a whole week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we had to have worked up to that that point. You know. Now now you got a little little hand string or handstring strain, whatever the case would be, you know, and it was a one time thing. So exciting news again today to get into today for this episode, this is obviously one of the more exciting week stretches for Chargers and Chargers fans, and we'll get into some of that. First and foremost, Tyler and I are fans of the team just like you guys are. The opinions that we express on this show are just there, our opinions and not the opinions of the organization themselves. We're very grateful for this platform to express these opinions. And that being said, Tyler, let's dive in. None of this is officially official as of recording this on Monday night, January twenty ninth, but according to Ian Rappaport and several other insiders, the Chargers are believed to be hiring Joe Horties, the Ravens director of player personnel as their new GM. I think this is again a great move. We've talked a lot about alignment and synergy, and certainly somebody who's worked with Jim Harbrod's brother for the better part of two decades will be able to have that kind of philosophy alignment that we are looking for. So, Tyler, that being said, your reaction here to Joe Hortiz and this news that it's kind of trending towards him becoming officially the new GM.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this would be fantastic for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: When we spoke about lessons learned from the past eleven years and what we can take moving forward, two of the things that I mentioned and were acquiring draft picks, whether that's trading back in the draft.
Speaker 3: Or comp picks.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I mentioned was just alignment from general manager and player acquisition all the way through the coaching staff. And I think the Chargers get that here with Horti should they make this the official higher and he comes from one of the best organizations in football if you're just looking at draft success, since he was the director of college scouting for the Ravens. The Ravens have been third over that span in draft success. The Chargers have been cover years everybody thirty second over that same span, and they are going to get a significant upgrade here where it really matters. And Michigan defensive coordinator Jesse Minter pointed out that at the epicenter of both Baltimore and Michigan's programs was player development and how important that was for them and Michigan obviously it's worked for them they won the National Championship, and the Ravens that's the same case as well. The Ravens have eight players who have made the Pro Bowl or All Pro this season. Seven of those players they brought in. It was their draft picks or an undrafted free agent. The only one who wasn't was ro Kwan Smith, who they traded for. It is about homegrown talent and developing those players. It's one thing to just take the talented player, is another thing to make that player into what they should become, What they're projected to become. And beyond that too, we talked about comppicks. The Ravens are the kings of compicks. The Chargers since twenty fourteen up until now, had only seven comppicks.
Speaker 3: The Ravens had twenty two. That is twenty two free swings at the ball and at bats for the Ravens. That's incredible.
Speaker 2: The Chargers have needed that and they're going to need that because justin Herbert, this contract, it's no longer a rookie contract. It's not an expensive contract. So the Chargers need to make sure that they hit on these draft picks. So just it's going to be everything that Jim Harbaugh wants. And the number one thing we talked about. We could put one candidate against another resume versus resume five, but mber one most important thing for us was alignment to the head coach. Since that head coach is Jim Harbaugh and Hortiz seems to be a very natural connection for him. That synergy from decision making up top to player development, to coaching, to scheme to philosophy to fit to identity, that's all there. Now the Chargers are going to be so much better should they choose to make this move, and I'm really excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that synergy is extremely important and one of the ways that we've kind of tried to parcel through this this GM cycle it is how much stock do you put into relationships built with Jim Harbaugh over you know, the course of several decades ago, whether it was Ed Dodds and his direct relationship with him from when they were in Oakland together. Brandon Brown had the connection the Giant's assistant GM obviously that Albert Beard pointed out Ian Cunningham worked for the Ravens. You know, the Chargers were were interviewing GM candidates and it was like, if you have Harbaugh experience, like that's a plus, But it didn't. It was not obviously prerequisit. But you know, Joe Ortiz has has spoken the Harbaugh language for the Better Park better part of a decade. You know, He's learned from Ozzie Newsom, He's learned from Eric Tacosta, and everybody says that the Roster building is a collaborative process, but nobody exemplifies that better than the Baltimore Ravens, in my opinion, And the biggest part about being a general manager, in my opinion, is finding ways to give your teams advantages within the margins, because I think for the most part, like you know, the coach, his job is to win on game days, right, But everything else, you know, from a roster building standpoint, it is the GM and his responsibility. And can you find those compics, can you trade down, can you hit on undrafted free agents, can you sign some minimum some veteran contracts to minimum deals and they just you know, over exceed their value. And you know you mentioned just from twenty twelve, the Ravens in history of compensitory picks have fifty three total compensitory picks. Second place on that list is the Green Bay Packers with forty three. That's ten extra just for no reason. The Chargers in the history of competitory picks, for what it's worth, like Tyler mentioned, only have fourteen total. So it's a huge difference, and it's a huge advantage that that can give you those extra picks. So I think his background in working in those margins is going to be a huge plus for the Chargers. I would be pretty surprised if the Chargers make all of their scheduled draft picks at this point, given where Joe Ortiz is coming from, and we can dive into that here in a little bit, but it's just a flexibility aspect for me. He has such a flexible background of pulling from draft day trades, in season acquisitions, veteran minimum contracts, compensatory picks, everything you could possibly want. The Ravens were always about like checking off every single box and looking for advantages everywhere that they could possibly find. And like you mentioned, the Chargers are entering into this cap transitional period where they have a lot of expensive contracts. Justin Herbert is going to be very expensive starting next season, and so having a GM who comes from this kind of background is going to be super super important.
Speaker 2: And what about the two things are one of the two of the things that have really hurt the Chargers this past season.
Speaker 3: That'd be the run game and of course the defense.
Speaker 2: I think bringing in someone who's overseen the Baltimore Ravens and that run game. Granted, Lamar Jackson has a lot to do with that, but still the run game that tight ends the full back.
Speaker 3: That's going to be super helpful.
Speaker 2: And then of course the defense be able to build both of those two things to help out Justin Herbert, you know, lost in all this, we talk about the coach, we talk about GM, we talk about all that. But Dean Spanners or John Spanals came out and said, the number one priority is Justin Herbert, and by extent sure it could be Brock Powers at five, and it might be Brock Powers at five. If you want to hear about Block Powers at five, go see our last episode.
Speaker 3: But it's also about that run game.
Speaker 2: It's about that defense, and I think finding someone who has experienced building those two things very very strong.
Speaker 3: Like if you feel better to good as a CHARGES fan, it's been a great week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it totally has. You know, Joe Hartiz, we did our GM rankings and Joe Hartiz was not at the top. We prioritized that assistant GM experience and things like that. But there were so many great candidates in this GM cycle and Joe Orti's was definitely one of them. So this isn't like I feel like they're settling by any means. You know, I think this whole thing was about alignment. This is about finding a guy who can speak Harbaugh and also find you know, just how to you know, take advantage of these different areas. So I want to talk specifically about their trade history on Draft weekend because this is this is going to be something that is going to be very different for us as charges fans over the last few years and what we're used to. And I think there's there's a specific quote out there from Hortiz about size and lack thereof or fitting a certain physical file, and his quote was, you got to pay attention to it, but all players are different. You don't want to knock a guy because of a previous player. So he really has that flexible mentality and let's adapt to the certain player. Let's grade the prospect, not the helmet, as Jordan reed a ESPN always likes to say, and that pans out into their draft history and just like you know, I found this article dating back to twenty sixteen, and since then they have traded back into the first round to get Lamar Jackson. They traded Hollywood Brown to the Cardinals for a first round pick, which they then parlayed into more picks by trading down from that spots to select Tyler Linnerbaum. They traded Orlando Brown to the Chiefs and selected Outa Faoa and Ben Cleveland. With the return, they traded up on Day three for tight end Charlie Colart. They traded up in the draft in the second round for Justin Madobuk. They originally traded down three spots to acquire Hollywood Brown. Originally they traded down twice in twenty eighteen to select Titan Hayden Hurst, and with those returns they were able to to trade back up to get Lamar Jackson. They traded up in the third round for Mark Andrews. They traded down in the second round for Matthew Judahon. They traded down again after that and the same draft to take Camalaya Correa. This is their entire draft history. They trade down, they trade up, they move around, They move down twice, they move up twice. They are so flexible and active on draft weekend, and it's about finding those advantages, and it seems like every time they do that, they still end up taking the player that they were originally going to take and hit a home run with those players, and if it's not a home run, they're still a really good player. And then they leave in free agency and then they get compensatory picks and around and a round around, we go for the Baltimore Ravens on draft weekend. It's it's going to be such a treat to see how Joe Jorties approaches this particular draft with a fifth overall pick and does he want to take one of the blue chip players, does he want to trade down and still take a really high end player and take two second round players. It's gonna be fascinating that this adds so many different layers to drafts weekend because his background is of a chess player. Essentially, this is a guy who's going to move around the board as much as he can and try and make as many picks as he can and give his team as many advantages as he can. And that to me as a draft nerd, is extremely exciting to think about all the different possibilities that Joe Hortiz can cook up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Charges have given up the equivalent of the eighteenth overall pick in the draft based on trades up for players the Baltimore Ravens and what they've been able to do. The idea that the Chargers could do something like what they've done, like the imagination and the process that you've talked about that you mentioned there is awesome to hear. I'm really excited for this one should it happen, of course, but all things are trending that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, we're recording this on Monday night. Ian Rappaport seems to believe that it is going to be that way. So by the time you're listening to this, it might have already become official. Who knows it is Monday night, all right, Tyler, any other thoughts about here about mister Joe hortiz.
Speaker 2: That if you look at the Lions and the way that they believe being able to become a contender, not necessarily overnight. It's been a lengthy process, of course, and they didn't start out great. But if you look at the way the Lions have drafted the last three drafts, and really this pass one with some of their difference makers that could be the Chargers. I'm not saying that they'll go to the AFT Championship this year based on one class. It required several classes for the Lions. You can really turn things around very quickly if you hit on a couple of drafts or even one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna expand upon that particular point here in a minute. So the other piece of news Again, according to Ian Rapaport, Tom Pellasero, and some Michigan insiders as well, the Chargers are expected to hire jesse Minter away from Michigan to be their defensive coordinator. The Rooney rule does apply here to defensive coordinator and offensive coordinator hires. It's just one candidate instead of two, So the Chargers are still going to have to go through a search here to determine if jesse Minter is the defensive coordinator. But again it sounds like that is where we are training towards. So this is again a really fantastic move by Jim Harbaugh. Obviously, there's the continuity, there's familiarity of him being at Michigan over the last two years. He was in Baltimore along with joh Ortiz and all those guys. So this is again it's the alignment, it's the philosophy, it's the belief, and it's the trust in his ability to maximize the staff and those around him. So jesse Minter has been a defensive coordinator the last two years at Michigan. He was a defensive coordinator at Vanderbilt before that and worked in Baltimore. Like I said, so a lot of alignment here, Tyler, what's kind of your initial thought as we look forward to what a potential Jesse Mintor defense might look like in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Well, I talked about acquiring players right and selecting the right players.
Speaker 3: Sure, you can do.
Speaker 2: That, That's half of it. Now they have to go onto the field and develop. And as Mentor pointed out in the quote I referenced earlier, Michigan was about development and that player development was at the epicenter of their programs. And I think he absolutely backs that up. And Michigan and Jim Harbor have backed that up. If you look at the quote unquote talent metric, which measures, you know, recruiting classes and compares recruiting classes. Not that Michigan was a D three school by any means, I'll see a lot of teams would kill to have the talent that they've had.
Speaker 3: But the last three college.
Speaker 2: Football champions before Michigan, in terms of talent Metric, those three teams, Georgia twice and then Alabama, were both second in talent metric, and since twenty fifteen when they kept track of talent Metric, no other team has been quote unquote worse than ninth. These are all top ten recruiting classes and overall groups. Michigan is the only one to rank outside the top ten and win the national championship. They were fourteenth in talent metric, which again is not bad. That's a very very good team. But they're still doing more with less, and that is so impressive. They went and beat Alabama, of course, and I'm sure they had a career recruiting class. Based on projections, it looks like Michigan's going to have seven players be drafted this year. And of those seven players, four of them were former three star recruits, two of them were former four star recruits, and the only one who's projected to be drafted that was a former five star recruit actually wasn't their recruit. He transferred from Alabama. So they've been able to take these players. And I'm just talking about defense here, and I'm not saying three stars bad binding means, are four stars bad bunding means. But these aren't that the five star, best player, number one player in their state, the country, etc.
Speaker 3: Kind of guys.
Speaker 2: They're taking these guys and turning them into NFL draft picks, and with that talent, again, which isn't quite the same as others. They were still first in total defense fourth, and red zone defense first, and scoring defense fourth and turnovers generated like they were an awesome defense obviously, and we've seen that they are three biggest games to close out the season against Iowa, Alabama, and Washington. Granted i was not exactly a high hot Dane offense, but still in those three games they only gave up eleven points per game. So when it absolutely mattered, the defense only gave up eleven points per game in those three games. That's what Michigan's doing. So if you can bring that to the Chargers now we're talking about not only the players that they're going to draft, but the ones that they have drafted that they have paid dayon Henley, how much better does he get now if they decided to bring in Jesse Minter j T.
Speaker 3: Woods.
Speaker 2: Right now, he's the safety too on the team. He is a starter as of right now. How much better is he going to get? How much higher can his ceiling be or how much higher really can his floor be? Because of mintor things like that. Derwin James. I mean, I'm not saying that he's going to be what Kyle Hamilton has been for the Ravens this past year. But before Kyle Hamilton, it was Derwin James, and everyone wanted Kyle Hamilton to be the next Derwin James. Hamilton, of course, I think has at this point surpassed Derwin James. But there is a world where Derwin James gets back to being who we all fell in love with that rookie season, and I think Mintor could be the guy to do that the same way, the same way McDonald has done that for the Ravens. So again, great option here, not official, but I do think should they go.
Speaker 3: This route, it would be fantastic for the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think overall this would be a really strong step in the right direction. Jesse Minter and Mike McDonald obviously came up in the same tree under Wink Martindale for the most part, and the two of them have taken their own spin on the Wink defense, which is obviously a lot of pressure, a lot of simulated pressures, and we can get into specific numbers here in a minute, but it's this idea to make things extremely difficult on the quarterback, and that's what Jesse Minter and Mike McDonald have done such a great job of It's why Mike McDonald was one of the hottest head coaching candidates in this cycle. That's why he was one of the best defensive coordinators. That's why jesse Mincher was one of the best defensive coordinators at the University of Michigan. And it's again philosophy that we're going to make things difficult on you and we're going to maximize our own abilities to get after, you know, our own development. And like Tyler is saying, so I think this is a really strong step in the direction for what you want, what everybody envisions of, you know, the next stage of defense. Like we've had this little hot streak if you all have, like the big Fangio defense, and now it seems like we're kind of getting back to pressure and simulated pressures and let's like heat up quarterbacks and let's make sure that we are making things as difficult as possible on them. And Mike McDonald, Jesse Minter a kind of like the next guys in that group. So I'm really excited about this. I think from a schematic standpoint, you look at kind of the biggest differences here Mike McDonald at Michigan at least ran more cover zero and more Cover one. He was able to, I think, take a little bit more chances because that Machigan defense had David Ojabal and Aiden Hutchinson. Jesse Menton never really had both of those guys. There was always one really quality edge rusher, but he didn't have those two guys who I both had as top fifteen grates. Aiden Hutchinson was the highest pass rusher on my board that year and he's certainly become a star in with the Lions. So you know, Mike McDonald was able to take more chances at Michigan, and I think that shows out in the numbers. But the interesting thing here to me is the simulated pressure numbers. In particular, Jesse Minster ran simulated pressures on thirty six point four percent of their dropacks this past season, and Mike McDonald at Michigan his season was twenty five percent. So again, Jesse Mintter really believes in muddying up the picture. Let's make things as difficult as possible up front. Let's make your offensive line think at every single turn, and then let's try and heat up your quarterback as much as we can. So I think his defense is perfect for what skill sets the Chargers. Have you mentioned Derwin James, I think two Lee two E Polow two is perfect for this kind of defense because he can drop into coverage, because he can rush over the middle, because he can he can be your edge rusher, he can push the pocket. This two lee is such a versatile piece that he's going to be perfect in jesse Mentor's defense. Again, assuming that is the decision here, but you know, you have your your core pieces in Derwin and too Ley. The rest of your roster kind of needs to be figured out. But that's a pretty great place for jesse Minter to start out. And I think both of those guys would be moved around a lot and play extremely fast and impact the football at a really high level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really exciting.
Speaker 2: I know that you know that you don't need to have the number one defense, and I don't expect the Chargers have the Ravens defense in the years.
Speaker 3: It's not that simple.
Speaker 2: It's not going to be that quick at the very least, but I am excited for the prospect that the Chargers are going to have a defense that again, as we sort of joked about what this special teams look, just get justin Herbert. Just get this unit to the twenties, like heaven forbid its sixteenth in the league. Just get them there and this team would win several more games than they did last year. So if Minter can bring even two thirds of what McDonald was able to bring to the Ravens, the Chargers are going to be very very good, very very soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And don't I don't want it to be like you know you're talking about, you know, average being the twenties. The Chargers defense is going to have to have some turnover. Like there's gonna be a very young group in my opinion, maybe some cheap veterans here and there. This isn't going to be like the twenty eighteen defense that had all these guys, you know, hitting their primes of their careers at the same time and just everybody's making plays. This isn't going to be you know, Sean Merriman and Seohn Phillips and everybody hitting their prime at the same time back in the day. Like, there are going to be some lumps next year. But I think Jesse Minzer can can maximize the talent, whatever talent he has. Use some chess pieces, maybe Kolil mac Jolly Wilson stick around, We'll see and the pieces are there for them to be at least better than what they were last year. That's the floor for me is kind of, you know, low twenties, I think would be great. Obviously, anything better than that, I'm not gonna, you know, rule that out, because I think Jesse Minster is a great coordinator and the Chargers could certainly revamp this thing in a hurry. But I'm definitely not expecting like number one defense right away from a potential defensive shakeout.
Speaker 3: How dare you?
Speaker 2: How dare you realistic expectations and not demand excellence right away?
Speaker 3: What I think too? And I was definitely worried.
Speaker 2: About this watching the game, and I think Chargers fans were worth they were watching the game against the Chiefs and the Ravens of the Chiefs and the AFT Championship game. Yes, the Ravens did end up losing. Sure, they gave up seventeen points, but early on everything was working for the Chiefs yea. And suddenly things were not working for the Chiefs and things were just off a little bit. There was more pressure. Mahomes was consistently hit, and I don't believe they scored in the in the second half, no zero for a single point in the second half, Like, can we just imagine that for a second, Like Chargers fans, think of every Chargers Chiefs game you've watched outside of the two Arrowhead wins, and I think I don't recall exactly what it was, but I believe the Chargers have had a lead before this season in like all six of their games going into half and they were one in five or whatever. It was the idea, the thought that the Chargers. I'm not saying this is going to happen immediately, but just the potential for the Chargers to put to blank the Chiefs in the second half like that is pretty awesome. I'm excited for that against very early. You know, it is the off season.
Speaker 3: I got to see these things happen, got to see a higher but it is very exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you can pinpoint the opposite half, but same kind of deal against Alabama in the Rose Bowl. I mean, the Alabama Crimson Tide were coming off of this amazing, you know, undefeated SEC season. Jaylon Milroe was getting a ton of Heisman hype. People were talking about this that group being Nick Saban's best offense and his best coaching job, and they completely shut them out in the first in the first half, like Alabama had to completely abandon any kind of traditional passing offense that they wanted. It became run heavy, it became zone read RPO, like they had to just like say, hey, like, we're not even gonna try to do deep dropbacks because your defense is too good. And that was against Alabama, again, one of the best offenses in the country. What they did against Michael Pennix and we we had Trevor Sikima on the show last week talking about Romo Dunese being a potential pick at number five overall, and yeah, he had a good game. He's a great player, but that Washington offense looked like a shell of itself. I watched a ton of Washington football this year. I did not see a single defense play as good against them as Michigan did in the National Championship. So it's just the ability to make things difficult. You want to be a run heavy team, We're going to load the box and our guys are going to beat you up. You want to be a passive a team, We're gonna muddy up the picture up front, our corners in our safeties are gonna fly around and make plays. It's such a fun unit to watch. I've started to really watch them because of the draft prospects and obviously because of Jim Harbaugh. Now that defense flies around every single play, everybody makes plays, everybody's into it. I'm super excited about the possibilities here that jesse Minzer can bring to the Chargers because of the just the the culture, of the identity, the schematics, everything just fits with what I envision is like the next era of Chargers football going forward.
Speaker 3: And just that flexibility is so key.
Speaker 2: We've heard it from the locker room, from the quotes that have come out, just on the lack of flexibility, and that's kind of been organizational. I feel like, from top to bottom, whether that's you know, GM, whether that's head coach, whether that's coordinators, whatever, the lack of flexibility, the inflexibility.
Speaker 3: Has not been great for a lot of players.
Speaker 2: And some players just are like, look, hey, we got to change this, We got to do something different. And I just think being able to adapt to the players that you have and be player friendly, not try to just force the scheme or force these certain concepts or rather just adapt to the players is so huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kund of were sent there. We've kind of hinted at it here. We wanted to have a discussion about how soon the Chargers could become contenders under Jim Harbaugh, Jesse Minter, Joe Ortiz again hypothetically theoretically, not official yet. So that's the conversation we want to finish the show today with, is how soon can the Chargers become contenders? We're going to qualify this as like the divisional round, Like how soon can the Chargers potentially get to the divisional round because that's, you know, kind of the the final eight. Those are the best eight teams in each conference there, and I wanted to kind of my brain first went to, like, Okay, everybody's making the comparison between the forty nine Ers in twenty eleven and the Chargers what they could be in twenty twenty four. I do kind of want to push back on that a bit because just from a roster construction standpoint, it doesn't really line up. So if you look if you go back and look at the twenty eleven forty nine Ers, the majority of the core of that team that Jim Harbaugh it took over, was already in place, and Delaney Walker, who was a part of that, piece a great tight end for them and obviously the Tennessee Titans. After that, he spoke on Busting with the Boys the Barstool Podcast and he made the point that the group, the talent was all there. The culture was what needed to be reset.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Jim Harbaugh had to come in and get everybody to buy in, everybody to you know, really believe that they could take that next step as a team. It was not the roster. The roster did not need to be reset. You look at Alex Smith, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Delaney Walker, I mentioned Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, Michael Krabgree, Mike you Potty, Justin Smith, Amad Brooks, Nabarro Bowman. Those guys were all there already and that's the core of the forty nine Ers team that made that push. The only real addition that made a strong impact that year that Jim Harbaugh selected was Alden Smith. So it's a very different situation for me because the Chargers are we've talked about in kind of a stage of flux. There's a lot of veteran pieces that are potential cut candidates or will be free agents. There's not like a core of ten players that's going to carry over from last season to this season. So I wanted to make that distinction because people are talking about it, and obviously it's extremely relevant that Jim Harbaugh can do that and has done that everywhere he's been. But the comparison to me is like, maybe from a record standpoint, like they were six and ten and the Chargers were five and twelve, But from the roster standpoint, this is a very different situation than Jim Harbaugh is inheriting this season for the Chargers.
Speaker 2: We don't even know what the vision is for the team. We discussed previously, Hey, they could just trade several players and acquire as many young rookie picks as they can, but really make that push in twenty twenty five when a lot more contracts roped the books, less dead money, et cetera. They genuinely themselves could be looking at twenty twenty five and going, hey, that's when we're really going to make the push. Also, one thing I do want to add, which I think is important, is that the best team in the NFC West in twenty ten, before the forty nine Ers got there.
Speaker 3: In terms of record was the Seahawks, where the record of seven and nine.
Speaker 2: The Kansas City Chiefs are going to the super Bowl for the forty seventh time in the last twelve years. It's a very different division and it didn't conference wasn't until it wasn't until twenty twelve that the Seahawks finally had their winning record, because the next year, in twenty eleven, the next best team I believe was eight and eight, and that was the Cardinals, And then the Seahawks started to make their push and they eventually overtook the forty nine Ers. So it's also a very different division. So we're talking about do the Chargers make you know, the top eight here? Do they make that the eight to finish out the co I don't really know, or each conference, I should say, I don't know that the Chargers are going to do that as easily as some might hope because of the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: It is not quite the same situation.
Speaker 2: The forty nine Ers were primed to take the jump in their division because there wasn't really anybody else. Again, seven or nine was the best record that year for someone else in the NFC West. The Chargers have the Chiefs in their division. We'll see about the Broncos, We'll see about the Raiders. But you know, I want the Chargers do well, to do well. Of course, I hope they win the division this year, but that NOD does go to the Chiefs until proven otherwise. They're in the Super Bowl again. They've been their sixth straight AFT championship. So I think that basically I'm priming this and what we're about to talk about with I don't think the Chargers win the division, So I think we're talking about sneaking in as a wildcard team and then seeing if they can win one of those wildcard games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that's a much more you know, realistic expectation for where this team is going to be at in twenty twenty four. Again, that's a drastic improvement of making the playoffs and like thinking that they could really you know, do some damage in the playoffs of where we were at, you know, two months ago, three months ago obviously. So Jim Harbaugh is a great coach. We just talked about Jesse Minter, we just talked about Jeo Ortis I'm not putting anything past this group, but the roster, to me, like it needs to be discussed that this is not everybody's talking, you know, media wise about the roster from last season being this great veteranlated roster. It's not going to be the same. The roster is going to have a lot of turnover. They're going to have to hit on some young guys. Can they do that? Absolutely. We just talked about Geoorties and his ability to hit, you know, play the board, and it hit hit on some young guys. So that's that is why, like my brain is like, okay, can they contend? Okay, let's talk about the roster first. The second thing that I think is worth mentioning is like, what does that really look like for the NFL. The easiest way to do that for the Chargers is to have a bona fide, legitimate top ten offense. I know that there's still a lot of like defensive win championships, and the defense certainly played some great football this past weekend. The easiest way to make sure that you are playing football in the division round is to have a top ten offense. If you look at the numbers from an EPA per play standpoint and a success rate standpoint. The only team that was not at least borderline top ten in terms of offensive potential that was in the Division round was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But the Buccaneers were so good at hitting on explosive plays with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin all those guys that they were really like flirting with that line. Everybody else was at least like at the top ten range or higher, even the Chiefs, who appeared to have like this this very average offense all season. They were eleventh in EPA per play and success rate. So that's the number from an offensive standpoint. The question is, obviously, what do the Chargers have to do to get there and how realistic is that possibility season.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question, and that is impossible to really answer this point until we see what happens, what happens at center, what happens at wide receiver, what happens at tight end, what happens at running back. You know that there's so much the Chargers have to figure out that It's a question that we can definitely address again and we will address again after the draft, after free agency. During the summer at some point when we see how some of these injuries, you know, play out, how people return, et cetera. So that is definitely one one thing I do need to bring up, and I think that I'm sure we're all thinking the same thing. The good news about not being very good one season is that you get to play the NFL worst schedule in terms of sure you are the division quote unquote loser. Therefore you get to play that schedule and it benefits the Chargers tremendously that they will play ten games against teams who finished fourteenth or worse. I would say picking fourteenth or higher, but the Panthers don't on their pick, so I will say they play ten games against teams who finished fourteenth or worse, and it really helps them that half of their road games are against teams that are going to be who finished bottom eight in the NFL. So there's a lot going on on their schedule. You know, some teams new coaches, the Panthers, the Patriots, the Falcons, the Titans. These are all teams that are going to be picking top eight. They've got new coaches or there's trying to find new coaches. The Chargers really do, I think have a bit more of an advantage here because of Jim Harbaugh. It's very different, and this is why you spend the money. There are first time head coaches with their franchises, and they're coaches entering their first year with these franchises, and then there's Jim Harbaugh entering his first year with the Charges. It is just very different. And you have some like Horti's who sure first year GM, longtime guy in the NFL with a lot of success, these sort of things. These pairings are going to do well for the Chargers. So you know, if they hit in the draft, I do think they're going to be pretty good.
Speaker 3: How close we'll see Chargers fans? I pulled them.
Speaker 2: Two thousand fans responded in the poll, and they said the Charges would be contenders in twenty twenty four or actuld say fifty five percent and said the Charges would be consistent playoff contenders starting in twenty twenty four, and forty percent of them said twenty twenty five. So I guess we got to ask the question, then, Steven, where are you at?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think Jim Harbaugh made him himself very clear on Sunday on CBS why he came back to the Chargers. He he's coming back to win a super Bowl and that's that's the bar for him to reach. How long that takes, we'll see. Obviously, winning the super Bowl is extremely, extremely difficult. But to me, if you're asking me how soon can the Chargers reach their divisional round, I think it will be twenty twenty four. But it's going to take a lot of things to go their way. You have to hit on some draft picks. You have to get some veterans in here on the cheap who can maximize their contract. Is it possible one hundred percent? You mentioned the schedule. Jim Harbaugh is going to have a coaching advantage every single week for the most part, you know, on the Charger of schedule, they're gonna have a quarterback advantage on the for the most part, every single week on their schedule. Is it possible that they look at that schedule and they can go, you know, eleven and six? Probably? I think that's you know, a realistic outcome. Is it Is it a season that I want to bet on that they make the division round on I'm probably gonna say no. And I know that's probably gonna make people say unhappy. But I just think, like I mentioned, the roster is going to really undergo some some over corrections, shall we say, to the point where it's gonna look very very different, you know, uh heading into twenty twenty four. I think from a roster standpoint, the goal is to have that roster ready to rock in twenty twenty five. Again, Jim Harbaugh, justin Herbert definitely, you know, Rashawn Slater, maybe Keenan Allen will see there. Maybe Mike Williams sixs around, we'll see there. This core of offense can certainly reach that number. It can certainly win you some games. I don't know if I'm going to predict that to happen right now. Playoffs, yes, I'm on board with them being a playoff team in twenty twenty four, but winning a playoff game, making it to the division round or further, I'm not there quite just yet. I need to see how the offseason goes before I can make that declaration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you and are an agreement that we will pick them to make the postseason in some capacity.
Speaker 3: I think that's what Jim Harbaugh does.
Speaker 2: I can't be doing handstands and cartwheels and crazing everybody and all these acquisitions, and then say they're going to miss the postseason.
Speaker 3: We're excited for a reason, and Jim Harbor is that reason.
Speaker 2: So yes, I do believe the Charges will make the postseason in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: You have Justin Herbert. You're going to be good.
Speaker 2: And I think what they lose in terms of players because the several players are going to be gone, that is the nature of the salary cap, the salary cap being real, roster turnover, new regimes, et cetera. What they lose in those players that go, they make up for in the maxization of the players on their roster.
Speaker 3: Whether that's coaching, whether.
Speaker 2: That's a new facility, whether it's the strength and conditioning coach, whether it's the new money poured into an analytics department, whatever, those things are going to matter. So we could see, like you take this exact same group and give them to another very high qualified, first year head coach, and I think we're saying something different. I genuinely believe with all the turnover that this team does not make the postseason in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: But you have Jim Harbaugh, and that is an advantage the Chargers have not had in a very very long time. And I just think the maximization of your roster, where like you said, they're finding hidden ways to win in the draft, where they're going to be the toughest team, and you know, Jim Harbaugh would track how many reps in practice that their team would do and say, ha, no one else is doing more than the forty nine ers. Like that is Jim Harbor. They're going to win every day, every second, every minute, and Jim Harbaugh wants it so bad. Like you said, there's no Lombardi Trophy in college football. All that dude wants is a championship. And I think he's the perfect pairing for a quarterback who just wants to freaking win. He just wants to go out there and when that's all he wants, it's football, and it's when he wants to do that. They've got a coach who can definitely bring that. So I agree playoffs in twenty twenty four. Can they win at a game and get to the divisional round? I think yes, that slightly depends on who they're playing. A lot of really good teams out there, of course in the AFC and really the AFC is up in the air right now. How many quarterbacks were not playing or how many good teams missed the postseason because.
Speaker 3: The quarterback got hurt. But yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: The Chargers will make the playoffs in twenty twenty four, as long as everyone stays relatively healthy, of course, and Justin Herbert's out there.
Speaker 3: I feel good about the team, and I feel even better in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's a great point about the coaching standpoint, because there were first time head coaches that I would I am pretty excited about. But that changes the trajectory of the team. Like we're talking about all this roster turnover. But I'm still expecting them to make to be a playoff team because of Jim Harbaugh, because of Joe or Teas, because of Justin Herbert. Lots of j H's going around fun fact, But I think this trio of men, if you will have the goods to be able to take them to that playoff step and see what happens to me the real like contender, Like that's twenty twenty five when the Chargers could have more money, more picks, a year in the system, all that stuff. Playoff team in twenty twenty four, potential super Bowl threat in twenty twenty five. That, to me is the goal, that's the timeline. If this were a first year coach, you're probably talking about like, hey, let's be a little frisky like seven and ten next year and be a playoff team in twenty twenty five. But this is Jim Harma we're talking about. This is a playoff team in twenty twenty four, potential super Bowl threat in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's assume the Chiefs get the number one seed next year. Sure, why not? They're in the super Bowl. So let's seem to get the number one seed. Do the Chargers when I pick the Chargers to then go win in Baltimore, win in Buffalo, these places probably not, you know, I think you have to respect what those teams are able to do and how far they get in the postseason typically, So yeah, I don't know if they would go beat the AFC Juggernauts right now, but you never know. You that four team, that fourteen that win the division that maybe isn't so great.
Speaker 3: You happen to play that team then maybe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whoever wins the AFC South is going down that's gonna tell the age well oh boy, but man, it's an exciting day. Like I mentioned, the season is going to look so different. There's a lot of change on the horizon, I think for the better. You know, all of these things coming together at the same time that the new facility is opening up and Elsa. You know, it feels really almost poetic to me. I'm just like, I'm so excited. This season was such a frustrating season. I know all of you listening feel that same way. But it's been it's been quite the reward over the last week. It's been a fun ride. We podcasted like basically every day last week, live streaming with all of you. It's been a great turnout. The Chargers did that awesome video featuring our reactions along with alongside some other great Charges content creators. So it's been a ton of fun to cover. I know most of you have had a lot of fun, you know, searching everything on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, whatever and all that stuff too. So exciting times ahead for sure, Tyler. Any final thoughts before we had out today.
Speaker 2: You know, as a biology major and haven't done research before, I'm something of a scientist myself and I've gone through all the research and I've just kind of had a little side project, right, and I was really trying to answer the question because I really want to do the research here of you know, who has it better than us. And after going through all the research and reading all the articles, it turns out the answer is nobody.
Speaker 1: Nice little Spider Man reference there at the end. I'd love to see it. Love to see it. That video that The Charge is released today where he said the nobody for the first time in powder Blues. That was an excellent touch by the Charge of social media page. Just a fantastic work there. So thank you guys so much for tuning in today. Thank you to Eddie and Greg for producing. As always, appreciate you guys for subscribing, liking all that good stuff. Don't forget to take a moment and subscribe to our own channel to get the US Charge podcasts as well. We appreciate you. We'll see you next time. As always, full time