Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast, the Caramelized Onion Jam accompanying your daily puzzle burger. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and I am here with our guest, the wondrous Joel Stein, author, journalist and host of the excellent podcast Story of the Week. Welcome Joel.
Speaker 2: How nice, what a nice intro? Thank you.
Speaker 1: I love your podcast, and not just because I've been on it twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're the only one.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna have you on a third time to do an intro, so that'll be by far the record. Ooh well, I'm honored and a little nervous to be on your podcast.
Speaker 1: But the premise of your podcast is that you find an amazing story in a magazine or newspaper and then you interview the journalist. So in honor of your podcast, we actually have a magazine themed puzzle today.
Speaker 2: Wow from the nineties or is this a current magazine themes?
Speaker 1: I think all of these are still being published. I know it's shocking. There's not a lot to choose from, so maybe that makes it easier.
Speaker 2: Than New York The answers than New Yorker every time.
Speaker 1: That one is not an answer, thank god. The puzzle is called magazines literally, and the idea is that we're in an alternate universe where magazines are much more literal. They run articles exclusively about the literal meaning of their name. So, for instance, what magazine might run an article entitled size doesn't matter Why the world's second biggest ocean is the best?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I see, I see. So that would be the Atlantic Magazine.
Speaker 1: The Atlantic Magazine.
Speaker 2: But that one's much easier than the ones you're going to give me.
Speaker 1: Now, that's about the same, about the same. There are a couple, I think towards the end.
Speaker 2: As you know, I don't do like crosser puzzles. I'm not a puzzler, so I'm very nervous.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: But you were on the New York Times celebrity puzzle podcast.
Speaker 2: The Crosser Puzzle. That's right. Yeah, that was hard for me for a week.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So what magazine might run an article entitled the view from the top Robert de Niro's Greenwich Village rooftop apartment.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Okay, so it's in tripe, Becca. That's not going to help me at all. So he lives in New York there's a lot of magazines with New York in the title, but it's the view particularly were Okay.
Speaker 1: The keyword is rooftop apartment.
Speaker 2: Oh, Penthouse magazine that still exists, That still exists.
Speaker 1: I actually they excerpted one of my No, they did something with which order reviewed the weirdly The Year of Living Biblically about the Bible. I appear it appeared in Penthouse Magazine and Relevant Magazine.
Speaker 2: Which one liked it more.
Speaker 1: Weirdly? I think they both liked it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a great book. No matter where you are in the sin spectrum.
Speaker 1: Okay, what magazine might you find an article entitled Relevant?
Speaker 2: Relevant Magazine?
Speaker 1: It's my favorite evangelical But no, the article is called the fifty Coolest Workers at Amco. And here's another article from the same magazine, The Golden Boy, the miightis worker with a thousand friends.
Speaker 2: Wait, what was the first one?
Speaker 1: Again, the fifty coolest workers at Amco? Am COO like Aamco?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 1: I got a third article?
Speaker 2: If you're struggling, jeez, okay, thanks, I'm struggling.
Speaker 1: Grease monkeying around How to have fun when you hang up the wrench for the day. So what are all those have in common? Them Amco, Midas, Grease Monkey.
Speaker 2: The mechanic, Popular Mechanics, they're all the friends.
Speaker 1: They're popular popular Mechanics. You got it?
Speaker 2: That was yeah, but it took me three.
Speaker 1: Artiks stressed out. I don't mean to stress you.
Speaker 2: Out, so I'm sweating so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, here's another one.
Speaker 2: The speed of this is incredible. Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Where might you find these great pieces of journalism? Falling water and food? A deep dive into Frank Lloyd Write's GI tract.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me a second, give me it's an architectural digest.
Speaker 1: Got the actual digest. You didn't even need the second one? Beautiful? All right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Two more? All right? And this magazine does still exist, I think because I saw a leg on my corner newsstand, which also still exists. The most underrated adages ever.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I know it's I want to say, Readers Digest, but it doesn't make sense ten most underrated adages. Why I'm repeating what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's good, good for I've got another article if you want.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I guess.
Speaker 1: I mean I wrote them. That's why I kind of want to say them.
Speaker 2: Oh oh sure, Okay, now I feel better about this. Yes, okay, I'm ready for.
Speaker 1: Saying all right, this is not your grandfather's proverb. The best new aphorisms for twenty twenty three. You have a third one, right, well, I do, but it's you know, it's not nothing great say say sayings one hundred sayings you can't live without.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking for a word that means like an adage exactly, that's it. But I'm trying to think of a magazine that has Google.
Speaker 1: No one's going to know.
Speaker 2: No, I don't need Google, I need you. So these are wait, so there are two things going on. I needed a word that means adages, and then I needed what was the other part of it?
Speaker 1: That was it? That's all you need a word that need proverb, aphorism, sayings, adages. I think that there are a couple more. I can't remember. Idiom now sayings. Well, i'll tell you this, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 2: Tell me yeah, Jesus you the listener knows it. And they're mocking me. And that's the fun of the show, right, Okay, they're screaming, so let them have their fun.
Speaker 1: This was well, you and I I mean, some of our listeners may not even know it because it was sort of a nineties no, no, an early two thousands phenomenon. There was f hm, there was stuff and there.
Speaker 2: Oh there was Maxim. You Maxim.
Speaker 1: I'm looking for Maxim.
Speaker 2: Oh I was looking for a second word. Okay, Maxim, Okay, max Good. I believe the editor of Maxim is now the incredibly popular, the number one late night host in America.
Speaker 1: Right, he was editor of Stuff. I don't know, he might have been at Maxim.
Speaker 2: But Stuff definitely not Maxim. So he never made it to Maxim. He stuck. He was stuck.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's true, but I know he was editor of Stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Stuff they were similar, right.
Speaker 1: They were remarkably similar. All Right, so there you go.
Speaker 2: I remember time Ink was interested in maybe launching or they bought they bought one of those companies, and then they talked to me about it, and I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to that's smart, that is very smart. Yeah, all right, last one? Are you ready for your last one? I ran out of time, so I only have one article. So I'm hoping that you you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to tell people that I'll just I'll just know.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready this, uh, What Magazine might feature an article called not just for roof shingles and blackboards, ten other creative uses for our favorite great rock Slate, Slate online magazine that was the only purple. Well, thank you, Joel, despite your fear, you did wonderfully.
Speaker 2: So you're not scoring this.
Speaker 1: I give you four out of five. I mean, did you get maxim? No, I feel you did.
Speaker 2: Really I don't think so either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry, but you did have maxim trivia. So that's something. So Joel tell us where we can hear more original Joel Stein content.
Speaker 2: Oh well, if you're a podcast listener, apparently you are, go over to Story of the Week when you're done here.
Speaker 1: It's a great I love it. It's a great aj.
Speaker 2: I'll probably be on it.
Speaker 1: And before we wrap up, as always, for puzzlers at home, here's your extra credit puzzle. What Magazine might feature in an article called short and Sweet, why five minutes of quiet is the best way to discipline children?
Speaker 2: So I shouldn't say, even though I know you.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't say, even though you might have worked at this magazine as a matter of fact. All right, So puzzlers please don't work. We got to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast and I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played a game with Joel Stein involving naming fanciful mating calls. In this case, this was the mating call that we gave you, and you have to guess what animal this is. Have you lost weight? You look like you're barely two hundred and fifty pounds. That's right, that's the mating call of the humpback whale. Thanks for playing along and we'll see you next time on the Puzzler Podcast