Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's give a shout out to our super producer, the one and only mister Max white Pants Williams.
Speaker 2: Who Rah and guy that write that time, Ben, I didn't say who uh or no, No, there's.
Speaker 1: A tsky We got it, we got it. We're working live.
Speaker 2: I really thought I was getting it right here. Who rah just embedded in my mind.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing to yell. It's a hussah for you know, situationally dependent hussah.
Speaker 3: We are period accurate.
Speaker 1: We are also we are also so excited, so fortunate to be returning to part two of trade Craft Puzzles with our good friend member of the Ridiculous History Expanded Universe, none other than the author, the now podcaster, the thought leader. Uh, mister A. J. Bahamas Jacobs aj. You said off air, you said, guys, I got an intro for part two of this, and then you.
Speaker 3: Started really sinister like you did.
Speaker 1: There were some ellipses that we could hear, and then and then you, uh, you're a brilliant, very kind in person. So you started telling Nolan and I like, Nolan me rather what uh what the intro would be like? And we both immediately I apologize for this. We both immediately vetoed that.
Speaker 3: Extra jut throat us. We were we.
Speaker 1: Were like, just do it on air. So so we must we must uh pass the order of operations to you, dear friend wield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll yield to you as some sort of overlord. Sure so uh utah Mulberry's side, how are we getting into this part of the conversation.
Speaker 4: Well, this is sort of a continuation of our episode on spying and puzzling. And while we were on break, I had remembered that a few years ago I have been poking around the CIA, the official CIA dot gov website, like you do, just to make sure that they know I'm here, and they and there's a kids corner. There is a whole section called Spy Kids. And I went to see just now if it was still there.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's bigger, it's more expanded, so I and it's all these puzzles and games.
Speaker 3: Is it also.
Speaker 4: Is a little bit of a recruitment tool and I actually had a it was kind of fun. I mean, some of them are very basic. There's a word search where kids can look for asset and surveillance and mission.
Speaker 3: There's kids kids food menu kind of stuff, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Kids food menu. There's a jigsaw you put together and it's the Seal of the CIA. But actually one that you should check out was I enjoyed. It was called Aerial Analysis, and it's a picture of port with some ships, and it's a bunch of questions like what time is it? Is it noon or is it six pm? And I was like, and then it was six pm because of the long shadows. So it's actually it was you know, if I were a cats make.
Speaker 2: Just in my head, I thought that was the CIA outsourcing aerial photographs of like picking out assets to children.
Speaker 1: Is also shout out. You'll find this of interest AJ, if you're not already aware. I recently learned a few weeks back that the CIA has a long running extracurricular creative writing group staffed like I shouldn't say staffed, but everybody in the group is an active member of the CIA. The name of the group. What you're gonna love is get this invisible ink.
Speaker 3: Oh that's nice. And the stories are nine ciphers.
Speaker 1: They're all in code. Yeah, yeah, they're they're the club discussion. No, obviously, I can never tell you their their book Club discussion is all in code. They We do know that the CIA does love puzzles, like any any kind of intelligence operation worth its salt. Ciphers are a part of the business, a part of the craft. And when we left off in episode one, we're talking a little bit about, uh, the ancient history of trade craft, a little bit about crosswords, and then you led Nola and I through a rabbit hole on times crosswords went wrong, and we ended with an extremely fascinating thing that history has yet to figure.
Speaker 4: Out right, And this episode we are going to get to my visits to the CIA headquarters to try to crack one of the most famous unsolved puzzles ever. But first let me just do a couple of more nuggets on this fascinating crossover between spies and puzzles. And we had mentioned in last time about some World War two puzzles. There's one more World War two puzzle that we should talk about, which is that the Nazis actually tried to use crosswords for evil.
Speaker 2: So what yes, nineties doing evil stuff? The humble crossword?
Speaker 4: I know they will not even lave a own the crossword. This was nineteen forty five and Nazi planes flew over London and dropped leaflets containing crossword puzzles that had propaganda answers. So the answers were anti us, anti ally. So, for instance, one of the clues was he wants all You've got and the answer that was the clue. The answer was Roosevelt, so they were saying he and The New York Times described the clues as feeble and heavy handed.
Speaker 3: Oh that is such a New York Times roussy. I love it especially.
Speaker 1: I love that, especially given that that you taught us earlier. The New York Times was a prominent anti crossword institution for some time. And now they may better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, and they show, yeah, they are better than the Nazis at making crossword puzzles.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they just slammed the not only the Nazis are the most evil people.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Constructed crosswords. That's and really, isn't that the great villainy of the Nazi part? No one in fact check us on that one. But the there's there's another thing on the break. This reminded me of of a great a great sequence in fiction, first in novels, but then later in film adaptations. Uh, in the Silence of the Lambs series, right, Silence of the Lamb where they follow they follow the more of the quint essential serial killer figures of American literature, Hannibal Lecter, and we learn that Lecter is communicating with a serial killer named the Red Dragon or once we called the Red Dragon through personal through essentially a cipher where they're taking out back when people used to read, uh, you know, print magazines and newspapers, taking out classified ads which contain coded meanings. Yeah, I think they were classified. I can't remember, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either cloud one of those things you can pay a couple bucks to put a little tiny graph, you know, in the back of the newspaper. Even in the Silence of the Lambs, that that was the Red Dragon that was read sounds to the Lambs he does, you know, He feeds Clarice Starling a few kind of incorrect clues that are actually themselves ciphers, like miss Moffetts or something like that, and I forget it's to translated like it's an anagram for something. And then one of them is an anagram or I believe the cipher for pyride for fools gold, and it's basically showing that they're barking up the wrong tree if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of classified ads, that reminds me in the Victorian England in the eighteen hundreds that was huge. Lovers would send secret messages through the classified ads. They'd put these ciphers in the ads. It was sort of like the sexting of the time, but he had to encode it just a little healthy. They were not that I've I've read a bunch of them, and h there are things like I have the most handsome horse in the land, now I need the most handsome lady.
Speaker 2: That kind I write that probably get results.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Also that that feels like you have given us a lead on a great uh on a great future episode. Right the precedents for sextem you've been around for so long?
Speaker 3: Who was it the writer who wrote all those gnarly lovely Joyce? James Joyce?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a great episode.
Speaker 3: On him wealthy.
Speaker 1: He wrote some of some of the best literature in the English language, and then he also wrote Finn against Wake. But he also how do you really feel about Jesus anyway?
Speaker 3: But it was a fart poet. Yes, turns out love.
Speaker 4: They were amazing. They were Yeah, I was astounded. That is Yeah, maybe my favorite writing by Teams joy.
Speaker 1: That's where Cynasthasia really comes to bear.
Speaker 2: Flippity floppity never mind, Oh gosh, yeah that Uh.
Speaker 1: Substitute teachers listening in the crowd, any high school teacher who might be thinking it's time to take the day easy and play an episode of ridiculous history for your students, It is not the James Joyce episode unless you wish.
Speaker 3: To be bold, unless your students are very mature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what that would interest the students. I mean, that is a way to get kids into James Joyce our poetry.
Speaker 1: You guys might hate novels, but who likes farts?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Why do we have sexy farts? Aha? But you never thought that was a thing there.
Speaker 1: It is, so got a lot to learn, kids, So the there's an interesting thing that we should just we should spend one moment on here, which is that perhaps the reason the propaganda crossword bombing failed is due to the act that by nineteen forty five, the nomenclature of clues and crosswords had already been pretty well established, right, Like if you are just all things aside, just objectively, you're playing a crossword. The clue he wants all you've got sounds incredibly misleading. There is not a way logically to like a is yourself into Roosevelt there.
Speaker 2: That is a good point, or you know it definitely any more broad like God or like Jesus or something, you know what I mean, Like even that would be a pretty lazy clue, right, Yeah, well that's specificity.
Speaker 4: It reminds me they weren't the only ones who did propaganda. The New York Times also ran an article about in nineteen fifty. So now we're in the Cold War and the Soviet Union was trying the same trick where they would produce these crosswords and spread them around us with anti US propaganda and their clues. I don't think we're much better. Well, you know what, take it back. This one, you could almost say is half witty. The clue is what is General MacArthur's concept of a courtesy call? And the answer is a four letter word raid.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna say bomb, but like we were, Yeah, those are both good, So.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: So it sounds a little feeble and heavy handed to the New York Times. Ah yeah, try harder, yeahdition out, but you can't take it New York Times.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, that wasn't the Times. That was a Soviet Union crossword puzzle maker being mentioned in the New York Times.
Speaker 1: At that point, The New York Times is clearly has clearly done a one eighty on their previous anti crossword stance, and now they're like, crosswords are one of the most important American cultural institutions.
Speaker 3: And we will one day be intrinsically linked to the concept of the crossword puzzle. These are New York Times. It is odd we're taking we.
Speaker 1: Are super good at the thing we.
Speaker 2: Hated inevitably become the thing you hate. You know, it's just well, that's.
Speaker 1: That's like a Nietzschean observation thing.
Speaker 3: I know, it's not true. It doesn't have to be true. It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 1: Folks, we have your back, and we also we also have maybe a moment here before we get to like our big star.
Speaker 3: Of the day.
Speaker 1: The hence this up to now unsolvable puzzle of the CIA.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There are so many Cold War shenanigans. I love that you're mentioning the Cold War aj because this is back in the time. This is like the looking at old spycraft or trade craft. At this time we see again the Seinfeld problem.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The number one criticism of Seinfeld, which Noel and I talked about all the time off air, is that many of the many of the plots the gang gets involved in could easily have been solved if they had cell phones and the trade craft. In this time, from the fifties to let's say the early eighties, everything a lot of things were still analogue. So these are the days of weird code words, which are like another puzzle, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, now we do have computers and high speed computers. They haven't cracked everything, though they've held there's the famous one of the most famous unsolved puzzles are the Zodiac killers.
Speaker 3: In Zodiac Thank you.
Speaker 2: If we didn't get there, I was going to bring it up, please, Sally Forth.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, this was a serial killer in the seventies. I'm not an expert on it, but he he sent a lot of letters with codes to the police with clues and several of them were unsolved. But last year, just last year, there was a group of people who solved using computers along with people. It was sort of a a nice meshing of humans and computers that was able to crack this. And part of the reason why it was so hard to crack is this guy was terrible. He made all of these mistakes. No, it's not consistent, and so yeah, terrible person for killing and for also being.
Speaker 3: You exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm taking a stand.
Speaker 2: You know, the Zodiac film by David Fincher, I think is one of his finest films and I rewatch it just about every year, and it deals with a lot of the stuff and the you know, the guy that ultimately goes on to kind of write the book about the whole thing, which is named Gray Smith, I believe, played by Jake Gillenhall. He's the one who's like a cartoonist, you know, working for the San Francisco Chronicle who starts kind of solving these ciphers and it's because he's a puzzle nerd.
Speaker 3: He's like that this is like his his wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: You know, he just does crosswords for fun and then he ends up kind of being the one that sort of pushes that stuff forward. But I do love the idea that he just made tons of mistakes. That's really funny.
Speaker 1: And I love the point about the necessity for hybrid problem solving concurrently because right now, and shout out to the Puzzle Palace, of course, right now, there are tremendously robust algorithms and other computerized approaches that can tackle puzzles and codes very very well. However, those are those are still not going to be able to get you across the fence on their own one hundred percent of the time. We know, like I'm thinking back in the days of analog trade craft. One thing, like there are two examples that still always work when deployed correctly, even in this the Amazing Future twenty twenty four. One of them would be numbers stations, right, and related to number stations, there's the other code, which is the thing that requires you like it's a descendant of the Caesar cipher, the Arnold cipher. You have a one time code book that you have to hear and right, that's how the that's the other end of the key es, yes, yeah, and without that you are a drift. There is no there is simply no way to solve those things unless you have that that old school crypto key, right, shout shout out.
Speaker 4: To bitcoin and the number stations is that's the one where they just list off seemingly random numbers all day long and no one has actually solved. Yes, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes, that is absolutely correct. It is related to USSR now Russian intelligence activities abroad. It may be related to the so called dead hand system, which is, you know, deploying all the nukes at once. If let's just let's play yeah, let's play one clip so everybody can hear at number station.
Speaker 4: N five two eight run five seven two.
Speaker 1: Run five.
Speaker 2: Egg.
Speaker 3: It's such a creepy thing.
Speaker 2: And I'm pretty sure that Lost, the folks behind Lost, used that sort of mysterious idea of transmissions, you know, for some of the uh, the radio signals that are intercepted by the Islanders if anyone remembers Lost.
Speaker 4: Are there any theories that it's just a total hoax and some guy is just reading numbers in to waste all of these people's time.
Speaker 1: There are definitely, uh, there are definitely some clear like copycat guys. There's some you know, ham radio enthusiasts who just have a lonely you know, Saturday night and hop on and say some stuff but but in general, I think for our purposes here, uh, this is illustrative of one of the big differences between a puzzle and tradecraft, or a code and tradecraft, and a puzzle in popular media, which is that if you are propagating a puzzle in popular media, you want people to be able to solve it, and some of these tradecraft things simply do not have an answer by design. And this is what leads us to, uh to the legendary the legendary puzzle known as cryptose with a case.
Speaker 4: Exactly because it sort of straddles both of those sides.
Speaker 2: That's like the name of the last boss in the puzzle video game. Yeah, now you must face cryptos.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, yeah, it's a little you know, this was back in nineteen eighty eight, so maybe it seemed a little spookier back.
Speaker 3: And they probably seen some Transformers cartoon, but.
Speaker 1: They like, okay, so AJ, can you introduce us to cryptos Because one thing people want to be clear here. You might have heard us talking about this and you might think that the CIA said, well, we've solved most of the puzzles, but there's this one that we have no idea about, and it might surprise folks to realize that the CIA themselves asked for this puzzle. Is that correct, right?
Speaker 3: Are you cryptos.
Speaker 4: The thorn in their side?
Speaker 1: It really is. It's the self created it's exactly commissioned thorns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, this was the end of the Cold War nineteen eighty eight, and they the CIA, they have a portion of their budget, like all government agencies, for art, so they commissioned what turned out to be one of the greatest unsolved puzzles of all time, and it's a sculpture. They commissioned a sculpture from an artist named Jim Sanborn, and they teamed him up with a retiring cryptographer from the CIA, and they teamed up and created this art piece called Crypto. And I went to see it. It's amazing. It's a big wall, a big metal.
Speaker 1: Wall, and anyone can go visit, by the way, Well.
Speaker 4: No, it took me like a year and a half to get permission to visit.
Speaker 1: Are you really Yeah? I thought anyone could go.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's right in the middle of Langley. It's like in the courtyard.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it was not easy, Like if you have minders, oh I had tons of minders. You probably had a background check too, Oh they had.
Speaker 4: Yes, no, they you know, everything like anything I brought in had to be thoroughly vetted. And then they told me I can't talk about the vetting in my book.
Speaker 3: So but they to wait.
Speaker 1: So the book just goes from like page forty seven to page fifty three.
Speaker 4: No comic, Yeah, well I did. Yeah, I had some descriptions of like what they did to me to try to get me through, and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, you can sketch what you see, but only for five ten seconds.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I couldn't take photographs. But it was so they commissioned this sculptor and this cryptographer, and it's a metal wall with hundreds of letters and symbols on it, and it contains the secret code. And thirty five years later, it has still not been fully cracked, not even by the CIA itself or the NSA. And they'd actually thought when they put it up, the CIA is like, oh, our guys will crack it in two days a week. And it's been thirty five years now I will say part of it has been cracked. So there are four sections in Cryptos, four different messages on the wall, and three of the four have been cracked by CIA employees, but also by all of these amateurs who look at it online, look at the photos.
Speaker 2: Given the hoops you had to jump through just to look at the thing, you think they would have pre solved it before they let them build it.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. Maybe that was sort of the points.
Speaker 2: But I love the idea of this retired CIA cryptographer cryptologists just did this thing, and then he's like, cryptos out, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike drop for sure. Also, uh, in the interest of transparency very much, not the CIA vibe, but in the interest of transparency.
Speaker 3: I think I was.
Speaker 1: I was under the impression that this was slightly easier to visit because all of the photographs I've seen of Cryptos the sculpture are it's in a plaza, right, like it's outside and and like you said, I think it's.
Speaker 3: Uh the inter sanctum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fourth passage or the fourth side is unsolved. But dude, even reading I remember this, I can't quote him off the dome, but I remember reading the like solutions to the first three and there they themselves seem like.
Speaker 4: Riddles to me, like exactly help.
Speaker 1: It seems like you found another clue or something.
Speaker 4: Well, that is most people think. And the stim Sandber and the sculptor has said that the all the four when you add them together, it's a clue to another puzzle. It sounds like it's a barriage treasure or a hidden treasure, possibly on the CIA, because one of the solutions does include longitude and latitude. Another one is a quote from the guy who discovered King Tut's tomb about the wonders that he discovered in there. So they are all leading to part five, but since we still haven't style part four, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, when they inevitably saw it. I hope it's not like one of those Heraldo moments where they just like open the vaults and there's just like a bag of chips or some trash.
Speaker 1: I hope it's a Christmas Story moment, you know, where the kid finally gets his decoder ring, not what he thought of. The answer is drink more ovaltine.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. It's just an for CIA.
Speaker 1: It's an ad for CIA weld t shirts. Can you imagine? Like, Okay, so the people working at the CIA very smart, very brilliant people, but there's still just people, so they still get lunch. You know, their lunch break is probably shorter than they like. So I love this image of some CIA folks, crypto nerds going out with you know, their brown bag lunch and standing in front of that sculpture and eating your sabwich and thinking, okay, king tye, and it's like a.
Speaker 3: Nice place to pick a nick. It sounds like there's there's a lawn something.
Speaker 2: Were you saying, aj that you had folks reaching out to you and they found out that you were doing this, like telling you giving you inside tips on other stuff to look for.
Speaker 3: That was on the piece itself.
Speaker 4: So I'm on this message board for cryptos because there are thousands of people still trying to solve it thirty five years later. And first of all, I give them credit for the grit. Like when I'm helping my kids with their math homework, I'm I'm like, after a minute and a half, I'm like, I get like, this is thirty five years so and every day I get messages, Oh, I think it's gonna the key is Moby Dick or the key is it's something to do with Navajo wind talkers, And every every day there's a new theory. And I was on the board and I said, I just got permission to go visit Cryptos in person. And since only a couple of them had actually done that, they were all at Twitter, and they gave me all of these these projects that I had to do, these secret projects. Study the patterns in the grass and bring a compass to see if the magnetic if there's any weird magnetic energy, and look underneath to see how the screws are are positioned. So it was hilarious and I did it. I you know, I made a full report on it. Has not led to the solution yet or or.
Speaker 1: Is it a thing where you can't tell us?
Speaker 4: Oh exactly, I did solve it, and I'm trying to get sneak back in and.
Speaker 3: They will come for you in the night.
Speaker 1: Oh no, let's hope the next book is it the Year of Livy with the CIA.
Speaker 4: So living in get Mo, well, I will. I will say. One of my favorite parts I got to interview the sculptor Jim Sanborn, and he is he's a character and eccentric, and one of my favorite parts is he's he's been this has been going on for three decades, so he still gets emails every day from people saying is this it is that knows the sculptor and the cryptographer know it. Two people in the world know it.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 4: They have the allegedly they have the solution somewhere in a safe on the CIA, but only two people in the world know it.
Speaker 2: Well, really quickly, what kind of echelon of sculptor do you have to get to to be invited to create an unsolvable you know, the modern art, you know, piece on the grounds of the CIA.
Speaker 1: I don't want to sound I don't want to sound like I'm telling tales out of school. But if I recall correctly, Sanborn has has like grew up with family members in the political class, right, or like he's like a DC guy.
Speaker 2: I guess I just think about that all the time when you see these giant government sanctioned works of art, Like, who is this artist that is like a totally cool with the government, you know, because our artists tend to be a little prickly sometimes about things like that, and they're just down for it. And also the government is like this artist is both interesting and safe.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say he, I mean, he was supposed to have told the head of the CIA at the time what the solution was, because I guess the CIA didn't want it to be like some Naudie Limerick or something.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't want the.
Speaker 3: Guy at the top to be like I should.
Speaker 1: I don't know either.
Speaker 4: It's a but the thing is, but Sanborn hints that he really didn't tell the guy the actual full answer, so so really it is still those two who know it. But here's one thing that I love about Sanborn as a writer, because he gets all of these emails of saying is it this?
Speaker 1: Is it that?
Speaker 4: And he got six so he decided he will tell you whether his solution is correct, but only if you pay him fifty dollars. People wow, right in, they said, exactly. I mean he's the highest paid writer per word, I think in America because he just has to say nope, not it, and that's fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: How do you know if he's even telling Okay, I don't mean to besmirch Sanborn's honor, but.
Speaker 3: People just be like, you know, no, man, I got to keep the grift going, exactly.
Speaker 4: There are people. There are people that reminds me of the the worst.
Speaker 1: So I don't really understand casinos like the gambling Itch but I was trying to think of casino games, and it feels to me like I figured out the dumbest casino game that I think people would still play. It's called pick a Number, and so you you pay you know, five to fifty bucks or whatever numbers game, and then you just guess a number and the dealer says yes or no. That's like, I feel like we could sell that. But also it feels like Jim got in front of us.
Speaker 4: On that one exactly is yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like how many things am I holding up by my back? You know, like, yeah, it's exactly. I mean early early gambling probably very much included things like sure, but.
Speaker 1: You're you're welcome MGM, Grand et cetera, and the Mafia to our new game pick a number. We'll tell you if it's right, as long as you send us fifty bucks. There is one thing that I think is really interesting to share with our fellow ridiculous historians here, guys, which is one mention you made Aj Navajo wind talk.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's a great example.
Speaker 2: It's something we've talked about on stuff that I want you to know for sure, And honestly, the details are a little fuzzy, but I know it involved Native Americans using Native American characters and words in ways to embed super difficult to crack codes, isn't that right?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah, I a little fuzzy on this end as well, But from what I remember, first of all, they made a movie about it, all right, But the idea was that this was a language unrelated to any other on Earth. So that was like a unicorn, you want that language because that way, it's very hard to crack a code. When and then they took not only that language, but then they encoded the language at least one other time and made it even trickier. So yeah, again another unsung here. I love these unsung heroes of World War Two.
Speaker 1: I think one of my favorite facts I learned from from reading about the wind Talker program was like, you're saying that the double twist of encoding a very obscure language for the access power certainly, or for like, you know, whatever, the global superpower rivals.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: One of the things that was really interesting to me is, I will posit there's a third coding iteration because the Navajo language didn't have specific words for a lot of military things, so like.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: You're you're, you're, Like the Navajo language does not, I imagine, incorporate something for a word like P fifty two bobber or submarine.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, if you anybody listening feels like poking around and on the CIA's website, like aj was, so they can see that you're around as well. List there's some good writing on that website about the Navajo. Code talkers is another term for them, and also on Intelligence dot gov, which is the website of the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. And I'm reading a little blurb here where it says I'm just going to quote from it. This system enabled the code talkers to translate three lines of English in twenty seconds, not thirty minutes as was common with existing code breaking machines. The code talkers participated in every major marine operation in the Pacific theater, giving them marines a critical advantage throughout the war. They apparently were hugely credited for the victory at Ewajima and transmitted more than eight hundred messages without error, which is a big deal.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Also, I do want to point out speak at this while we're doing references to unsung heroes. If you go to American Indian dot SI dot edu. You will find an example of the linguistic parker that they had to do. Submarine, you guys, is not a word in Navajo, so it is translated to iron fish.
Speaker 3: That yeah, yeah, that is.
Speaker 4: And speaking of unhung heroes, I'm looking on the CIA website again and the kids section, and they have a lot on animals who helped about that.
Speaker 3: There was like a cat, there was definitely a cat. There was a catnge devices. That was a whole yep.
Speaker 2: And gosh, now I'm thinking of dolphins with laser beams mounted their heads. But that's from from us to powers.
Speaker 3: Gosh, that was a really fun episode, but it was a ways back.
Speaker 2: So maybe you know, we're actually about to start doing a thing where we re released some classics.
Speaker 3: So maybe we can do it where we actually pair them in some ways with things that come up.
Speaker 2: If that's ever, you know, appropriate, then I think this might be a good one to make one of our first classes.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful idea. And here we are, we're ending with a puzzle. I want to be careful how we say this that is solvable but has not yet been solved. We're talking to one of the very few people who actually went and got to hang out with the CIA. So cool, such a yeah, why is that not at the top of your bio? Right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: So h with this, we have to we have to ask one thing that I think a lot of our our listeners will be very interested in learning. We have now done four episodes together on ridiculous history regarding your your love of puzzles, your love of analyzing these things, and and you have a lot of social commentary as well in both your book The Puzzler and the podcast The Puzzler. Uh what do you what do you hope people take away from these conversations about ciphers, puzzles and these thought experiments.
Speaker 4: One thing that I always talk about is the puzzle mindset, which is all about curiosity, and I think that is a great way to go through life. Quincy Jones, great producer, great musician. He has an awesome saying. He says his Flay philosophy is I don't have problems, I have puzzles exactly. I love that because if you look at problems are just so negative and intimidating and stress inducing, whereas puzzles, it's like, all right, let's roll up our sleeves and try to solve this. So I try to look at my problems in my family and my marriage and my business. These are puzzles, and I'm going to try to solve them.
Speaker 2: So it's funny you say that I'm in the process of doing final mixes on a record. I do that, you know, when I'm not podcasting for a kind of a psychedelic rock band. And you know, when you have such a big thing with so many pieces, like every drum has its own microphone, every little element, you are carving away frequencies to make the most impactful final products, and you have to figure out how to slot these things together. And sometimes it's not something you can do in one go. You have to think about it in stages and in pieces. And that's where like a good producer gets their workflow from. And what separates a really good one from like a mediocre one is you kind of have experience in doing that, but every time it's a little different and you have to tailor you know, the solutions to the quote unquote problem or I guess the puzzles, you know. And I love thinking of using puzzle as a stand in for problems. Let's think about that just in general in our lives moving forward. And that's really smart.
Speaker 4: That is when I's same thing when I'm writing or and I'm podcasting, I'm trying to think of it as a puzzle and put the pieces together.
Speaker 1: And if you would like to join us in this continuing enterprise to solve everything, or at least understand why we as humans are so driven to make that attempt, then please do check out the puzzler with Aj Bahamas Jacobs. I don't think they put Bahamas in there yet, but we're we're holding out home.
Speaker 4: We're gonna it's gonna happen, and.
Speaker 1: We're never gonna explain why, and uh still don't know why. So it's so we are we are mentally we are I mentally again, Aj over the moon that you would join us here. As you said, you can hear luminaries such as Ofira Eisenberg, Roy Wood Junior, Lisa Lobe, and Noel Brown.
Speaker 3: Yeah what about nine stories? Did they get included?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Not yeah, but a great idea.
Speaker 1: Well, AJ, talk about the like you went to school with Lisa or something I did.
Speaker 4: I went to college with Lisa Lobe and you only hear what I want to AJ. She out very soon after college and we were like, oh wow, she was.
Speaker 2: She was among that like that jewel kind of coffee shop like elevated coffee shop era where like you know, people were getting discovered playing in Granwich village like coffee shops and stuff, and oh yeah, that was the and then they had movies like you know that they were on the soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I think she blew up because it was like reality bites, I want to say.
Speaker 4: And she was friends with with Ethan Hawk, yes exactly.
Speaker 2: That was the golden time for singer songwriters and for our purposes. Uh.
Speaker 1: She is absolutely great at solving puzzles, which you can.
Speaker 4: See is a puzzle. She's a puzzle Uh, a ficionado.
Speaker 3: Excellent glasses game too, by the way, two.
Speaker 4: Can buy she has.
Speaker 3: So the hustle.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert, folks. We're hoping that we can get AJ back on the show in the near future to talk about a book that is near and dear to our hearts, the forthcoming year of living constitutionally. Uh, if if it's not imposing too much, AJ, could you, uh could you give us just like a blurb for our fellow ridiculous historians.
Speaker 3: What is this about.
Speaker 4: I am very excited about us coming out in May. And it's called the Year of Living Constitutionally. And I try to understand our founding document by getting inside the minds of the founding fathers and living the Constitution as literally as possible. So I bear a musket in the streets of New York. I write pamphlets with a quill pen to express my first amendment. I quarter a soldier. I apply to be a government sanctioned pirate. And it was an amazing experience, and I learned so much about the Constitution and hopefully how we can save this country which is so insanely divided. And I will say one of the joys was having people I respect read it. And both Ben and Noel were super supportive and helpful in reading the manuscript. So you are in the book.
Speaker 3: You are oh well acknowledgement, very very kind.
Speaker 2: I got to ask you the name of these projects you've got biblically now constitutionally that come from the Peter Weir movie The Year of Living Dangerously with.
Speaker 4: Mel Gibson said, I love that movie.
Speaker 3: I've actually have not seen it, but it made me google that I like, is that a thing?
Speaker 2: I think that's a thing, and it certainly is from the guy that directed Master and Commander, which people also love.
Speaker 3: And picnic it Hanging Rock, which I've also heard is great seventies.
Speaker 4: I've never seen that.
Speaker 2: I haven't, but I've heard it's like a mystery thriller kind of thing. But yeah, you're living dangerously and I needed to films Storry mel Gibson.
Speaker 4: Right, And no one even really remembers that, so it's a reference that doesn't resonate.
Speaker 3: Does Now you're bringing it back. We're bringing it back.
Speaker 1: We're bringing it back, and we're gonna bring you back in the near future.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, folks, thank you so much for tuning in. Thank you to the legendary one and only mister A. J. Jacobs. And oh and thanks to our super producer mister Max Williams, who still does own a pair of white pants.
Speaker 3: It's true, never forget the white pants.
Speaker 2: A huge thanks to Alex Williams, who composed our theme and is also related by.
Speaker 3: Blood to mister Max Williams and his white pants by marriage.
Speaker 2: Chris Rociotis and he's Jeff Coat here in spirit and Ben but ever so not leastly in fact. Firstly, but somehow, lastly, thank you Ben for a yeah, this being my master and commander.
Speaker 3: Wait no, no too much, that's too much.
Speaker 1: Au Shuxley, thanks as well to Jonathan Strickland, a k a. The Quizter. I contacted him earlier. I was like, we got this guy you got to meet. He's called the Puzzler and Jonathan. Jonathan's response was something just like, I.
Speaker 2: See puert, you have my interests, sir, love it. But last lastly, first, foremostly, but last still somehow, thank.
Speaker 3: You AJ for being here and we look forward to having you back real soon.
Speaker 4: Oh my pleasure. It's a joy. I love it so thank you.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time. Folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows