Speaker 1: This radio show is more than any other mainstreams media outlet.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Play you, then we'll come here when this day DJ Envy and Charlamagne the God being there.
Speaker 4: Next to all of you guys.
Speaker 5: It's really it's one of my favorite shows to do, just because y'all always keeping one hundred.
Speaker 2: Y'all keep your real.
Speaker 6: But what better place than than here. I think everybody should go on the Breakfast Club and start out. Y'all want to shake it up.
Speaker 2: Good morning Usa yo.
Speaker 7: Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 8: Yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 6: Charlamagne the God peaks to the planet.
Speaker 9: Is Stursday, Yes, it's Thursday.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 9: What's happening. How y'all feeling out there? I am blessed, black and highly favorite here for another day to serve that.
Speaker 2: Is happening, that is correct. Happy to be here, man.
Speaker 6: February first to day is my wife's birthday. Drop a bomb for my wife one time, okay, Happy born Day.
Speaker 2: Giard is also the first day of Black History Month.
Speaker 6: It's also the first day of Black history.
Speaker 2: That's right, man.
Speaker 9: I don't know what that means, okay, but this Black History monk or learn something about black history.
Speaker 6: Okay, that is correct. What you do yesterday? Anything?
Speaker 9: Uh yeah, I mean, I mean regular stuff. Nothing nothing to talk about this morning. But we do have a great guest this morning. That's somebody who I see in my house all the time, because you know, if you got young kids, you know, and you do allow them to watch YouTube, even though I've taken away their YouTube recently.
Speaker 2: But you know about time, time baby.
Speaker 6: That's right. But the brown will be joining us, that's right. She's got a new book out called Yes, it's called I Did a New Thing Thirty Days to Living Free.
Speaker 2: That's right. I mean time. I don't know.
Speaker 9: She is an entrepreneur like big mogul status out here, whether you realize it or not. So it's gonna be great to have a conversation with her absolute morning.
Speaker 6: Why do you take the kids YouTube? Boy?
Speaker 9: I didn't like some of the language I was I was hearing, because you know, you can tell, if you you know, if you can tell when your kids start to learn new words. And you know, one of my daughters is really into like.
Speaker 2: Minecraft, so she'll be watching those YouTube videos of people playing people playing Minecraft.
Speaker 9: I'm still think the thing that people don't realize when people are when you're watching. When they're watching those videos, they're listening to other people talk, so the person that's playing is talking, so you know, I just it's not like it's foul language. It's just words that like like where you get that from?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 2: So I wanted to pull back on it.
Speaker 6: You have to do that with my son with Fortnite, yeah, because they go into those rooms and although I watch over him as he plays, some of the people that he plays with his same age are using words in terms that I'm like, nah, let's let's let's fall back.
Speaker 9: And my thing also with the YouTube is like, yo, why watch people play Minecraft?
Speaker 2: Learn to play it yourself.
Speaker 9: So if you are gonna when she does have the time to be with the technology, go play the video game.
Speaker 2: But I learned to play the actual game. She does what she's into now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I asked that to it. And the reason they do that it is special boards. There's special things that you can get, and a lot of times they actually follow them to see where those special things are, special skins are, or whatever it may be. When we were playing Mario back in the day, we just had to figure it out and it might take us a week to get past.
Speaker 2: We wanted them colds.
Speaker 6: We wanted them cold.
Speaker 2: Wanted once you learned them cold. That was the thing.
Speaker 9: Once you start learning them colds for contract. Not mind you just big uncle talk right now.
Speaker 6: It's contract up up, down, down right the A B A selection updown updown left right left right, b A B A select start. Okay, I think that's the cold.
Speaker 9: That's the contra cold. Yeah, but once you learned that, that's what we used to worry about, learning them cold.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I'm I don't let my kids do too much technology. That's why I was watching the social media CEOs testifying yesterday and the Senate yesterday.
Speaker 2: That's what I was saying. Yeah, they were. They were saying that it was on the ass.
Speaker 6: They were saying that it's very addictive and kids shouldn't be on it the way that they on it.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 9: I wasn't mad at some of the rhetoric that was being thrown at them, especially when they especially like there was that one where they they showed like the sexual abuse thing. Did you see that if it's like images of child sexual abuse, they give you two options, and one option is it tells you, it warns you about it and you can watch it anyway.
Speaker 2: Then another one is more resources or.
Speaker 8: Something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was strange. I'm like, why they don't just have that block period.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, if you got kids, just make sure you stay on top of what they've got with them phones. You got my phones and computers and all that.
Speaker 2: Social media YouTube, all that.
Speaker 9: My kids ain't on social media at all, but the YouTube is just as just as dangerous.
Speaker 6: Absolutely. All right, Well, let's get the show crack and we got front page news coming up. Tesling figure over be joining us. It's the breakfast Club. Good morning morning everybody. It's the DJ env Charlemagne de God. We are the breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news. Morning tis little morning, j Charlemagne the God. Yeah, I just want to start off with some quick sports. Mark Gasol, he announced his retirement from basketball on Wednesday. He spent thirteen years playing in the NBA twenty years playing professional basketball overseas. So congratulations to Mark Gasol. All right, now let's talk about the social media CEO testifying in the Senate. Charlemagne and I started talking about it a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, Yeah you did. So this is what happened yesterday in Congress.
Speaker 12: So they said, sexual predators, addictive features that you guys mentioned, suicide, eating disorders, unrealistic beauty standers, bullying. These are just some of the issues young people are dealing with on social media. I always like to say it's not just young people, like adults are obviously, you know, affected as well, but this was about young people, they said. Child advocates and lawmakers say that these companies are not doing enough to protect them. So wednesday, what you guys talked about Yesterday, CEOs of Meta and TikTok x and other social media companies went before the Senate Judici Judiciary Committee to testify as lawmakers and parents grew increasingly concerned about the effects of social media on young people's lives. Now the hearing began with recorded testimony from kids and parents who said that their children have been exploited on social media.
Speaker 4: Throughout the hour long, hours long.
Speaker 12: Events, parents who lost their children to suicide silently held up pictures of their dead children. Now the hearing began will record a testimony from the kids like I just mentioned, and a heated question and answer session with Medicine.
Speaker 4: Oh, Mark Zuckerberd, they really had him on the ropes.
Speaker 12: Yesterday, Republican Missouri Senator Josh Hawley asked the MEDICEO if he personally compensated any of the victims and their families for what they've been through. He also asked, would he liked to apologize to the families?
Speaker 4: Take a listen.
Speaker 13: So you didn't take any action, You didn't take any action, you didn't fire anybody. You haven't compensated a single victims.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 13: There's families of victims here today.
Speaker 2: Have you apologized to the victims? Would you like to do so?
Speaker 13: Now? Well they're here, you're on national television. Would you like now to apologize to the victims who have been harmed by your product?
Speaker 2: Showing the pictures?
Speaker 13: Would you like to apologize for what you've done to these good people?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry for everything that you apologying through. Terrible.
Speaker 14: No one should have to go through the things that your families have suffered. And this is why we invested so much and are going to continue doing industry leading efforts to UH to make sure that no one has to go through the types of things that your families have type of suffered.
Speaker 9: Oh, man, I watched it. I watched a lot of that here and yesterday. I wasn't mad at it. I just wish some of those senators had the same energy for things like you know, mass shootings, you know, gun control. Yeah, I was gonna way they had the same energy for things like you know, poverty, because they was coming down on you know, the social media CEOs like they were the scum of the earth.
Speaker 6: Because I think a lot of that is unfair though, right, And the reason I think a lot of it is unfair is they create these sites and I don't maybe I don't know, but I don't think they created these sites for evil, for negativity. They thought it would be a great space for my kids to talk to somebody's kids in Florida. Now why people use these sites and how it's changed, it's effing horrible, right, But I don't think they built these platforms for it to be evil, right, for it? But they building for the intention.
Speaker 4: Well it wasn't the intention.
Speaker 12: But they have been told repeatedly when you talk about the algorithms, when you talk about you know, all the whistlel on that we've seen over the years, particularly about Facebook and how they have been told that this is doing negative things and they just continue to do it for the money.
Speaker 4: And for the advertising.
Speaker 12: And Mark Zuckerberg said yesterday that he didn't think there was a link between mental health and negative outcomes on young people.
Speaker 4: We know that not to be true.
Speaker 12: We see that well grown people that there's a link between mental health and that. So Democrat Senator Dick Durbin obviously disagreed. Let's listen to what he said right quick.
Speaker 15: With the touch of your finger, that smartphone that can entertain and inform you can become a back alley where the lives of your children are damaged and destroyed. These apps have changed the ways we live, work and play, But as investigations have detailed, social media and messaging apps have also given predators powerful new tools to sexually exploit children. Your carefully crafted algorithms can be more powerful for us in the lives of our children that even the most best intentioned parent see.
Speaker 6: But like you said, why don't they go at you know, gun manufacturers the same and cigarette manufacture is the same way. Why don't they I want those people the same way that they went at these people just what I.
Speaker 9: Do they do with cigarettes? But I just wish, I wish they had the same energy. But there is no regulations on social media at all. Like if these platforms, you know, are the biggest broadcast platforms and they need to have the same SCC rules and regulations as other broadcast platforms.
Speaker 2: You can't just get on TV and radio and you know, say whatever you want.
Speaker 9: I mean, you can, but it will be consequences and repercussions, not just for the broadcaster before the platform. We saw that with the Fox News and the dominion voting case recently. So I think what's going to change these platforms when they are held liable Because I believe at the moment they can't be sued.
Speaker 6: I don't what they can.
Speaker 4: And let me just tell you what they were.
Speaker 12: What the whole thing was the point of yesterday, they're trying to pass the act called the Kids Online Safety Act. Just so folks know, this bill will require online services like social media networks, video game sites, messaging apps to put reasonable measures to prevent harm like bullying and the self harm and all this stuff. And it will also require them to turn on privacy and safety settings for default for kids under eighteen. It is bipartisan. Both Democrats and Republicans seem to agree. But we'll see if they're.
Speaker 2: All for us.
Speaker 6: Let me ask a question, when do parents take responsibility as well?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 6: Because, yeah, you're allowing your kids to go in these sites, you're allowing your kids to play. You know, you're not watching over your kids to make sure they're saying, like you said, you had to, you know, stop your daughter from playing it, you know on YouTube, And I stopped my son from playing certain things because I watch them. I make sure that there's certain words that can't be said, and if I hear those words, I stop it immediately.
Speaker 2: Like when it's not one person's fault.
Speaker 9: Now, it's not the parents' fault, it's not the social media ceo.
Speaker 2: It's not one person's fault.
Speaker 6: That's my point.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but then remember the whistle blowing guys. And last year when remember when John Todd, the founder whistle Blown Act, they exposed Facebook for these algorithms that are specifically targeting kids. And you know how stuff pop up in your feed over and over and over and over and over. So there's been some accountability. DJ and B does come down to the parents. A lot of parents don't know what their kids are doing.
Speaker 4: They just can't. You can't monitor everything.
Speaker 12: But when you've been told at these algorithms that you're literally setting it up to only be able to swipe certain things, and they keep popping up over and over and over, that's kind of where it gets a little bit sticky.
Speaker 2: This is about bullying, though, This is about kids who have killed themselves because they were being bully that's just not necessarily that's not algorithms.
Speaker 4: No, but it's no. But it's all it's all of that, is what they're saying. It's all of that. It's the bullying, it's the algorithms, it's the just.
Speaker 2: Like you just heard, bullying and harmful content.
Speaker 6: That's right. Well, we'll talk about it some more and then we'll see you in about an hour. Test. Yes, sir, get it off your chest. Eight don't drink five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, talk to us. The phone lines wide open. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. This is your time to get it off your chest. Eight hundred and five eight five one five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast club. Hello, who's this?
Speaker 16: This is DJ Maniac.
Speaker 2: Won't know DJ Maniac. What's happening?
Speaker 17: King, what's happening?
Speaker 16: I wanted to thank you got Uh for being being real keeping it ring on about social media situation and yeah, it's not one person's fault.
Speaker 18: It's not a social.
Speaker 16: Media fault, Armor Grayson. Everybody needs to get together and I appreciate you guys doing that to the public.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you. I mean, it's just the truth.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: You're lying to yourself if you think social media not impacting your.
Speaker 6: Kids after bug positively, But like you said, it's it's it's the kids, you know. Sometimes it's not not the cads, it's the parents. It's it's the social media place. It's it's a little bit of everybody, and we all have to make sure that we play a part of making sure that we can stop it and slow it down because cyber bullying is real. These kids are influenced, that's real. So I think it's everybody mellow, yo, envy, what's the wording?
Speaker 18: What's up?
Speaker 17: Uncle Sola?
Speaker 2: How y'all feeling mellow? What's up? My brother?
Speaker 11: Before I even get into this, I apologize to anybody out of fend but respectfully, I was a bullying a thing when you could just turn your phone off or delete the app, like back in the day, like if your mom cut your head, you had to defend your existence for the next two weeks at the lunch table. Like, and you're telling me you could you have the option or walk away from your phone or turn your phone off, and you're still allowing it.
Speaker 2: To get leaded.
Speaker 11: Yeah, by that, that doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 9: I tell you something, mellow, you know, I get what you're saying. But think about this, right, if you're a young kid who isn't han't learned emotional intelligence yet, and you know you're getting online, it's one thing to have to deal with, like you know, five or six kids at the lunch table, you gotta deal withreds hundreds of people on social media, people that you don't even know, just going in on you over and over and over. And yeah, I can, yeah, turn your phone off, but what if you've already experienced.
Speaker 2: Five minutes of it, ten minutes of it, fifteen minutes of it. Sometimes that's all it takes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I hear you on that, But you can just lock out the app.
Speaker 18: And on top of that.
Speaker 11: Where's the parents that, Like, if you're not emotionally intelligent enough to be able to deal with that on social media, then you should not have one.
Speaker 18: And that's your parent's job.
Speaker 11: Why do you hope to lead social media your companies accountable?
Speaker 18: I don't care, but you're.
Speaker 6: Doing jonal melo. You gotta think. Let's say you get into an incident at school, like Charlamage said, that incident is over the next day, but now you got something that lingers, Like you got a video that you got into a fight that you might have lost that stays online. Now you got a situation you.
Speaker 2: Did your most embarrassing moment forever on social media.
Speaker 9: And why do we keep talking about the kids as if the adults, If the adults aren't following, following, following for this more than anybody, Like, the adults show a lack.
Speaker 2: Of emotional intelligence more than the kids.
Speaker 9: Nowadays, you don't get adults the other ones having the meltdowns on social media.
Speaker 11: Na, that's nah, you got me on that one. The adult Yeah, no, they need to get dunky of to day because like, excuse me, like turn your phone off the children.
Speaker 17: I respect y'all.
Speaker 18: That was my band.
Speaker 2: But the adult.
Speaker 11: Ye, get them out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, social media, no joke.
Speaker 9: And I don't even think our brains are equipped, you know, to deal with the constant onslaught of criticism, you know, the constant onslaught of you know, harassment, the constant onslaught of people saying negative things like it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Disgusting a lot. And that's all.
Speaker 9: My daddy always told me, you never as good as they say you are. You never as bad as they say you are. So that's always been my mentality since I was young. So you know, I'm kind of numb to it either way, but I can totally see how it can how it can affect people psychologically.
Speaker 6: Get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Ray right, ray Yo, Charla man, Nancy?
Speaker 18: What up?
Speaker 7: Are we lying?
Speaker 2: This is your time to get it off your chest.
Speaker 6: I got an indoor pool pool. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 19: Get on the phone right now here, tell you what it is.
Speaker 6: We lie. Hello, who's this be sure? Casign?
Speaker 9: What up?
Speaker 10: Doe?
Speaker 6: Get it off your chest Hey, MV.
Speaker 17: I want to agree with you about our people were saying that Sis, it was not the Mary J. Blidge of today. She definitely is. I feel like the younger kids don't understand what you're saying. She definitely is. If I listen to Mary J. I still feel the same way I did when I was born, Like her message came through you know what I'm saying through her, Boy, I feel like just to do.
Speaker 19: The same thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was just saying it based on what I see my assistant, my daughter who you know, who was a lot younger than me, how they vibe and how they feel sism when when you know, when we take trips and when we take whatever, they love sister, how I love Mary. That's that's all I was saying. I wasn't disrespecting scissor or Mary.
Speaker 2: But what tho? Yeah, sharp ps king, what's ingro we're Scharla Man good.
Speaker 17: Mor Hey, Charlotte Man. I want to say this, I disagree with you. I understand what you're saying, but I disagree about the color purple things. I feel like black people, when black people support something, we go out and spend our money. I feel like we don't want to see a color purple, and we said that's that's when it came out to the black people don't want to see that. We want to see something do where Tyler Perry came out with Diary of a Man Black Woman and all that. Not just nobody had to tell us.
Speaker 9: To go, we win, Hey, black man. You know I literally said that verbatim yesterday. I literally said, we got to support with our dollars. But I also said, I think one of the problems with Color Purple was nobody wanted to see a color purple remake you did.
Speaker 20: Oh, okay, okay, okay, okay, you're right.
Speaker 10: Hey.
Speaker 17: I want to shout out my my best friend. First, I want to shout out all the black male nursey. I want to shout out my best friend Dawanna Partner, he a black male nurse. I want to shout out my brother Charles Brooks, your nurse. To shout out to my nephews, Durian, Dwan, Messiah Roger, and my niece. All them.
Speaker 2: That's all black male nurses.
Speaker 18: No, the kid the other ones is a kid.
Speaker 17: Dwan and Charles does stuff, my brother Charleston school for nurse, and my friend dwan. He just became a nurser year ago.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, to all the black nurses, I think black male nurses, I should say, for real.
Speaker 18: Is not a lot of them. It's not a lot of them.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, brother, all right, have a good day. Hello.
Speaker 2: Who's this?
Speaker 6: He ain't Sophia? Good morning? Get it off your chest.
Speaker 19: Yes, I wanted to ask Arl name women when you've done for interviewing Nikki Hayley. And she made a comment about abortion, late term abortion, which is not true. Women don't have late term abortions. I still, if we want to ask questions, we need to have a rebuttal to those answers because she just misinformation out there.
Speaker 2: About late term abortion.
Speaker 6: Yes that she.
Speaker 19: Does not happen.
Speaker 6: We asked it for her. I asked her stance on abortion, and she said she's pro life, but you know, she wants a woman to be able to make her own choice about their own bodies. But she's just against late term abortions. I think that's what she said.
Speaker 9: But I thought different people. I thought people define late term abortion different. I think I thought a late term abortion sometimes described when it's fifteen to twenty weeks or even earlier.
Speaker 19: No, No, she has said that women has had abortions at eight months and that's not true. So we have to do our homework when we are talking about this information.
Speaker 2: Totally understand.
Speaker 6: Late term abortion is referred to the third trimester abortion.
Speaker 2: I did, I did, I did.
Speaker 9: I did agree with her or her her take on abortion. But that's how I always feel like. You know, if whether you pro life or pro choice, it's not up to you.
Speaker 2: It's up to the person that's carrying the job.
Speaker 19: Yeah, but when she said, I just we just need to clarify that because she has said that before.
Speaker 6: Okay, but you know, look at it up now that says, yes, late term abortions are real and they happen every day. If you don't tell us, tell us if if you know something.
Speaker 19: Well, that's what I'm saying. No, that's what I'm saying. That she has mentioned eight months, and that's what I'm complaining about.
Speaker 16: So we needed to ask.
Speaker 19: Her to clarify. She said, you have.
Speaker 2: Said eight months, said yes, I remember.
Speaker 19: Not yesterday.
Speaker 18: No, she had said it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember saying eight months. Yesterday. I remember her saying late term.
Speaker 19: No, she didn't say that. She didn't say it yesterday.
Speaker 2: She had said it before, So how can we correct her on something she didn't stay here?
Speaker 19: Well, I mean that's what I'm saying. We're supposed to and do our homework when we want.
Speaker 2: To intervow what you're saying. You wanted me to ask her about her saying that the eight months.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, got because it says that ten thousand babies a year. Are you know, uh they have late term abortions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was confused a little bit because I was like, when did she she said say eight months of it? But I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 6: Get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one o five one. If you need to vent, phone lines to wide open. When we come back, we got your room report. We gotta talk about Usher. Did you know he was supposed to be in a group with for Real and jay Z. We'll discuss It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club Morning everybody you see j n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk ersha poll out of name or you gossip? You chatting?
Speaker 2: Is the rumor?
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast club. This is where the tea.
Speaker 4: Spells right right.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: Usher will perform at the super Bowl. What a non ten days?
Speaker 9: It's the Usher Bowl. Okay, it ain't no, damn the other other bowl. Okay, I'm not even saying the name. It's the Usher Bowl.
Speaker 6: You hear me. Well. He was doing an interview with Club at on Club Shade Shade with Shannon Sharp Shannon Sharp, and was talking about so many different things, the super Bowl, his album, and more, but he also talked about who named him? Who nicknamed him? The domestic terrorists?
Speaker 1: Is there a collab that someone asked you to be a part of, you know, didn't and when it came out, you're like.
Speaker 21: Damn, yeah, you're gonna hate me for this one.
Speaker 6: Jay Z, that's not the that's not the clip.
Speaker 2: That's the clip. I would rather hear No.
Speaker 6: We go ahead that in a minute too. But he talks about, uh, it's a residency clip.
Speaker 5: This juncture of my life is just about having you don't even care. Now, it's not that I don't care, it's that I want you to notice. I'm having fun. And that is a part of me having fun, being out in the audience amongst the fans and also to the people, and then feeling that energy. I don't remember the last time that I've been to a show like that. You know, this arena gave me an opportunity to be able to be closer to my fans because i'd been I hadn't put out an album in almost six years, right, so now being able to reconnect in that way, you know, obviously it spun into something that became gave me a new title. Yeah, I think Charlemagne a god named me like the Domestic Terrorists. I'm like, bro, I'm just this is this is actually an Usher show.
Speaker 9: The bigger conversation outside who gave him the name the Domestic Terrorists was the convoy they was having around that was basically was just Usher feel bad about serenading other people's women. Okay, does he feel bad about the homes he may have ruined because of that Vegas residency? Okay, you go there with your girl. Next thing, you know, Usher giving them flowers and singing to them. Okay, then you wonder why she humming? There goes my baby. For the next three days.
Speaker 6: That would happen to you. How are you projecting some.
Speaker 2: All but just you know, putting it out there.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right. Well he also talks about a supergroup that he was supposed to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Is They're collab that someone asked you to be a part of and you didn't And when it came out, you're like.
Speaker 21: Damn, Yeah, you're gonna hate me for this one. Jay Z for real, Diddy, Damn and me was supposed.
Speaker 2: To be a group.
Speaker 21: Yeah that's crazy. Yeah, you're gonna hate me for that.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Why why did you say no? I didn't say no, you didn't say yeah.
Speaker 21: I didn't say yeah.
Speaker 6: You said yeah on the record, but you just say no.
Speaker 21: That's the one.
Speaker 2: I think that we just got caught up.
Speaker 21: I think we all got caught up in a moment. We was talking about it, having secret meetings about it.
Speaker 5: We were talking about music and how we're gonna flip it in it the business of it, and somehow, man, we just got distracted, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 21: And it never happened. You know, that's the one that I actually wish would have happened.
Speaker 9: That's one of those things that when you look at it on paper, all the ingredients, you know, they look good. Separately, but I don't know if they necessarily go together. But if a chef tells me they can put it together, you try it, you know what I mean? Well, not necessarily. I don't know if I want it, but I try it. It would have been dope.
Speaker 6: You're thinking about the success Parrell has had with Usha, the success Parol has had with Hove. You put that all together?
Speaker 2: Wait, does it mix? Like us is the only singer?
Speaker 18: Right?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: He the producer? I guess did.
Speaker 9: He would have produced his He would have produced a Lis and Jay would have did all the rapping, so it's an Usher and jay Z group. Then with Pharrell doing the beats and some hooks. It would have been dope. No, I think it would have been dope.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Like I said, I would try it.
Speaker 9: All the ingredients look good separately, but I don't know if they all go together, but I would I would try it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Ushul also talks about his album Coming Home, which is going to be released Super Bowl Day. So far on the album burn a Boy, Someone Walker, twenty one, Savage, Lotto, the Dream Her, hears him talking about it.
Speaker 1: The new album Coming Home releases going to release on the same day as the super Bowl.
Speaker 21: That's not an accident, is it.
Speaker 5: It was strategic, you know, paying tribute to the past, you know, being present here in Las Vegas. What a surprise, right to have an incredible residency run here, one hundred shows I would have played.
Speaker 21: By the end of November.
Speaker 2: Then to have the treat.
Speaker 21: Of being able to play the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: You know, here you have this opportunity that is almost like a crescendo of what started off really in a pandemic.
Speaker 21: Right when I came to Las.
Speaker 5: Vegas, it was quiet, nobody was here, nothing was happening. People thought I was crazy for putting tickets on sales, But to be honest.
Speaker 21: It was belief. Belief that we would.
Speaker 5: Get back to the norm, you know what I'm saying, and a time when the world just felt like upside down, and here you have this grand opportunity to start this journey that now leads up to the super Bowl.
Speaker 9: For me, listen, man dropping a Food's bomb for Usher, random the fourth Let's celebrate Usher, Okay, once in a lifetime, generational talent.
Speaker 2: This is like his grand ceremony, like a.
Speaker 9: Victory lap for an amazing, amazing career career that's far from over.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 9: But we always talk about giving folks their flowers, we talk about celebrating people.
Speaker 2: This is the time to do that.
Speaker 9: Usher put on an amazing residency in Vegas over the past year. If you got a chance to see it, you know what I'm talking about. And now he's doing the Super Bowl halftime show dropping the clues bombs for usher Man. We need more conversation around this, Okay, more celebration around this, all right. This is one of our goats, one of our greats, finally receiving their flowers. Absolutely, and I mean and us has always gotten celebrated. You always gotten his flowers. But this is one of those grand ceremonies right here.
Speaker 6: Okay, now, absolutely okay, and a salute to us, Shannon shout for that interview as well. All right, and that is your rumor report. Now when we come back, we got front page news. You got a Usher record. You don't pull Usher record.
Speaker 2: Of course, we gotta usher red.
Speaker 9: Twenty five years of Usher records were When you google Usher should have his own category in black radio stations. Okay, when you pull up Usher, a million songs should show up. How many songs in there?
Speaker 2: Right now? And you type about you. It's a lot, a lot exactly.
Speaker 6: What you want to hear. You want to hear bad girl, You want to hear nice and slow. You want to hear uh.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 9: My favorite, not my favorite, one of my favorite usher records is my bou with Alicia Keys.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 9: That might be a little too uh slow, Yeah, man, just give him the classic, man, give him it's seven o'clock in the morning, Wake people up.
Speaker 6: That's nice to slow.
Speaker 2: No, wake people up?
Speaker 6: Oh id seven o'clock on the dot in my drift shop, cruise in the street. All right, uh play?
Speaker 2: Could you just play? Yeah and shut up?
Speaker 6: No later predictable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the last record he plays at his residency.
Speaker 9: That's probably gonna be the last record he does at the super Bowl halftime it yeah, yeah, man, It's the Breakfast.
Speaker 6: Club, Go Morning.
Speaker 3: Front Page was his next The Breakfast Club. Your Morning's will never be the same morning?
Speaker 6: Everybody is tj Envy, charlemagnea gud we are the Breakfast Club. I just signed for some front Page news. What ups was going on?
Speaker 4: DJ's Charlemagne the guy?
Speaker 6: He said, Now let's jump right into us now. Man was arrested after video posts showed a severed head of his father. What the hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is wild wold wid wow.
Speaker 12: The Pennsylvania man has been charged after his father was found beheaded inside their family home Tuesday night in Middleton Township.
Speaker 22: Take a listen, thirty two year old Justin Mohan of love Oftown, Bucks County, and he stands accused of a truly unspeakable crime. He's accused of murdering and decapitating his own father, sixty eight year old Michael Moon, a crime he allegedly videoed and then posted online.
Speaker 2: I am very sad for the family.
Speaker 9: I'm very sad for the community, you know, and also for the people that knew him.
Speaker 22: By the time authorities got to the family home on Upper Orchard Drive a bit past seven o'clock, the suspect that already left with his father's vehicle.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 12: During this fourteen minute long YouTube video, Moon titled it the Moan's Militia Called to Arms for American Patriots. He described his father as a federal worker in rails against the Biden administration and the border crisis, and declined himself the new acting president under martial law. Now so again, he referred to himself as a militia leader. He said that he was upset that his father was a federal employee for twenty years. Talked about again Joe Biden, and he was reading from a script. The police did eventually find him by pinging his cell phone and he was arrested without incident. So this was some political stuff going on with this as well.
Speaker 6: That's just insane, so insane.
Speaker 9: It's the world we live in. And you know, I can't be surprised by any of this stuff anymore.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 9: People commit crimes and for whatever reason, they feel like they want to showcase them online.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you, I know what it is. It's projection.
Speaker 9: When these people commit these heinous acts, they got so much trauma, they want to trauma dump on everybody. So they're sharing their heinous crime with the world because it's eating them up on the inside. That's just projection. But I'm glad that it makes it easier for the police to lock these people up.
Speaker 4: But boy, well what about the political side.
Speaker 12: You know, him talking about America's coming bloody revolution and the mental.
Speaker 9: You know again, just that just lets me know he got some he got mental health issues.
Speaker 2: That's what that is. That's just that's that. Don't even that rant, don't even mean nothing. That's just gibberiush.
Speaker 9: After you commit a crime like that, after you do something like that, you settled ahead of your father and post it online, that's just gibberiush.
Speaker 2: Whatever's coming out of your mouth, that's just Obviously he has problems.
Speaker 9: But what do you do with a person like that. You definitely got to go deal with the consequences of his actions. Right, But while he's in prison, shouldn't he be getting some type of psychological treatment?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 12: Well it's amazing that without incident, That's what's amazing to me. But I mean, I just I just think it also went again. I know, we said it's just gibberous what he's saying is, but some of these people, he was a part of QAnon, he believed in, he believed in these conspiracies, these online things that are happening over and over and over and over. Just kind of going back to what we talked about, it's not just kids that are affected by online. It's a lot of these conspiracies and people are tapping into this.
Speaker 4: Two people who are mentally ill.
Speaker 12: You know, you can't control it, But I think it's not worth Did.
Speaker 2: He kill his father because of his father's political views? Did his father have opposing when.
Speaker 12: He said his father was a federal worker and was a trader for work because he worked for the government for twenty years.
Speaker 2: That's what he said, So that's the reason he killed him. That was the motive.
Speaker 6: That's what he said.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't you know, again, I don't know that's what but that's.
Speaker 2: Literally I'm saying that was that the motive of the police. That was the motive.
Speaker 4: I'm asking That's what he said on the video. That's what he said.
Speaker 2: He said, that's the reason he did it.
Speaker 12: Yes, he said, my father is a trader for working for the government for over twenty years.
Speaker 4: This guy was an anti government.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: He talked about it for fourteen minutes. He lifted his head up and showed it on YouTube and.
Speaker 6: All of that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That is his that is his motive.
Speaker 12: He's saying, that is his motive, that his father deserved to die because he was a trader. He should have never worked for the federal government.
Speaker 2: The fact that that can even make it to YouTube is insane.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: But that's the problem. Like, that's the problem.
Speaker 9: There's no degree of difficulty to get on YouTube like and I don't think and you can't stop that, you can't stop doing something like that.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, how do you control it? Like there's not enough people in the world to watch everybody's pays. Make sure that they can pull it in, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you can't under see it. So once you've witnessed it, once you've taken it in, it's there. All right.
Speaker 6: Well that is Front Page News. Teaky test absolutely.
Speaker 2: And make sure you follow at teslin.
Speaker 9: Figure on all shorcial media platforms at teslin, figure out and subscribe to this great shot no chase of podcasts on the blackspec iHeartRadio podcast Network.
Speaker 6: All right, now, when we come back, Tabitha Brown will be joining us. He has a new book. I did a new thing, thirty Days to Living Free. We're gonna talk to her when we come back, so don't move. It's to Breakfast Lab morning, everybody. It's steenj n V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Time time. We celebrating her birthday next week. I am this weekend, this weekend ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Tabitha Brown, welcome, how are you?
Speaker 23: I'm amazing.
Speaker 4: If I was in the bed, I'll be two people.
Speaker 2: I love that hoodie. Thank Freedom over colde switching. What does that mean?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I spent a very long time code switching and conforming, and that's not freedom, and so I no longer live that way. And so I always tell people, honey, to choose freedom over code switch. Well enough, just as we are, even if we're from the country, even if we're from the South. It's just a thing.
Speaker 23: So I promote that all the time.
Speaker 9: Here you go, I feel like I know you because I told you when I saw you over the summer. I'm like when my kids watched tap A Brown all the time on YouTube. And then you know, my wife has the cookbooks, the vegan cookbooks around the house like she was giving them out of his gifts to people.
Speaker 6: We got to congratulate her on her and me as well. You just want to a thing can December? Congratulations?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 2: How did that feel?
Speaker 12: It still feels surreal, you know, but I feel grateful to have one for just like being myself, right, but something so powerful that it's for children, But it still feels like it didn't happen. It feels like a dream almost. But the crazy thing is there's another side of that that it feels completely normal. It's a weird feeling, it's yours. Yeah, it feels like, oh, this is what God intended for my life. Absolutely, But the other side of it is like, did that really happen?
Speaker 10: So?
Speaker 2: But yeah, how did the Internet change your life?
Speaker 23: Shoot, honey?
Speaker 4: In every way?
Speaker 12: You know, I was a I still am an actress, but for a long time, you know, I was pursuing acting and nobody really knew me from you know, acting, And I started doing content, doing you know, videos, not because I wanted to, but I had a dream and God spoke to me and told me to start doing videos. And I was like, I don't want to do that, you know, but I was also trying to live a life of obedience. I started and nobody was watching, and I was like, well, God, you told me to do this, and ain't nobody ain't nobody showing up on these videos to watch?
Speaker 4: Why do you have me doing this?
Speaker 12: And I started in August of twenty seventeen doing videos, and by December thirtieth.
Speaker 4: One of my videos went viral.
Speaker 6: Which one it was.
Speaker 4: It was a TTLA.
Speaker 12: I was eating a sandwich in my car because I was driving Uber and because I was on disability for over you because I was so sick.
Speaker 23: And when I started.
Speaker 12: Feeling better after going vegan, I started driving Uber and I was like, you know what, I had had a job before. I didn't want to get stuck back in the nine to five. So I told my husband. I was like, you know what, I'm gonna go drive Uber. We live in LA. I'm probably get discovered in my car. In my mind, I'm thinking I'm gonna, you know, pick up a producer or director or something. I stopped by Whole Foods because I dropped somebody off and I was like, I'm go ahead and get me a little breakfast, and because I'm still a new vegan at that time, and I got a sandwich and did a review on it. Because I was my videos when I first started, I was just telling people I'm going vegan. When I find new vegan options, I'm just gonna share it. By the time I got home in the video had like fifty some thousand views, and I was like, wait a minute, who watching this video?
Speaker 2: But you was before.
Speaker 4: Listen. I love that's my nephew.
Speaker 12: But the next morning had like over one hundred thousand views and I was like, I told my husband, I said, I think I'm going viral.
Speaker 4: Was like, he was like, what that means. I was like, I don't know. And four days later, the Whole Foods reached out.
Speaker 12: I was like, we saw your video because I got the you know, sandwich from there, and they wanted to partner with me. I became their brand ambassador and I want to do so many campaigns and it ain't It's been on ever since then.
Speaker 6: Now, why'd you switch to vegan for people? I don't know?
Speaker 23: So I got sick.
Speaker 12: So January of twenty sixteen, I woke up one morning and I had this headache in the back of my head. And I had a car accident in high school, so I'm used to like waking up sometime in the back my neck is tight and sometime it goes into my head.
Speaker 23: So I thought it was one of those episodes.
Speaker 12: But this headache rested in the back of my head for a year and seven months and it started to, you know, affect my body, and so I started to fall when out will walk as a woman.
Speaker 23: Everything was all out of whack. I just did not feel well.
Speaker 12: So every time I went to the doctor, they were doing so many tests they was doing in myris trying to figure out what is wrong. So they told me, they was like, we know it's something autoimmune that's attacking your body.
Speaker 23: We just can't figure it out. I lost my vision for a day.
Speaker 12: It was a really bad time for me, and I took every drug the doctor offered me. I was like a guinea pig because you are desperate to feel better, and if anything, it probably made me worse.
Speaker 4: Nothing was working.
Speaker 12: And so my daughter came home from school one day and she was like, Mommy, we saw this documentary at school today.
Speaker 4: I think you should watch it.
Speaker 12: And I don't know if you know teenagers, honey, but it ain't every day they come home and tell you to watch the documentary. And so it was what they helped on Netflix, and so I was like, you know what, let's watch it together as a family.
Speaker 4: So I watched it.
Speaker 12: And when they started talking about not all diseases or hereditary sometimes you can eat the same thing in your family that will cause the same disease in your bloodline and so that was kind of like a light bulb.
Speaker 4: Moment for me.
Speaker 12: My mama died at fifty one of a rare disease LS. My daddy is now seventy two, but he's the oldest man that ever lived in my family.
Speaker 16: Wow.
Speaker 12: People get sick at young ages in my family, and they die at young ages in my family. And the only thing I could think of that we had in common was how we ate. Now, I wasn't a bad eater because I was in LA but I wasn't eating to feel well. I was eating to look a certain way, which is is also a sickness, and so eating.
Speaker 4: To look a certain way, so I'm not exactly.
Speaker 12: I wasn't eating to like, oh me put this in my body so I can be well. I was like, oh, let me put this in my body so I don't gain weight, gotcha, you understand. So, but I said, it wasn't you know, a terrible You know, I haven't eaten red metal pork since I was fifteen, And I was like, okay, and I'm allergic to derivery like most people.
Speaker 23: But I also was like, it's the only thing I haven't tried.
Speaker 12: So I told my husband, let's do like a thirty day began challenge except for thirty days, and so on like day ten, the headache I had every day for a year and seven months disappeared.
Speaker 4: Wow, and I was like, wait, min, I'm onto something.
Speaker 12: And after that, every day I started getting energy again because I had chronic fatigue and I had chronic panic attacks because when you sick and you know something is wrong, but the doctor said, well we can't figure it out, it makes you have anxiety and depression. And so I started getting energy again because I would sleep all day all night like I would just be exhausted all the time. And so energy started coming back. My head, you know, was feeling better. I was starting to feel like myself again. And so that day, look, when day thirty came, I told my husband. I was like, this is gonna be my life. You know, I'm gonna go vegan. He was like, well, tomorrow we need.
Speaker 4: A piece of chicken.
Speaker 23: Tab like it gonna be.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 12: And so but I always tell people that part because sometimes the journey that may change your life or safe your life, you gotta be willing to go on and the loan and so I was like all right, and so I ain't never looked back.
Speaker 4: That's why we got more.
Speaker 6: With Tabatha Brown. When we come back, don't move. It's the breakfast club, Good morning, pulling everybody in DJ env Charlmagne the God. We are the breakfast club. It's still kicking with Tabitha Brown, Charlamagne.
Speaker 9: I got so many questions. Number one, you said something earlier about God spoke to you. What does God sound like for me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: So I always tell people. I get asked that a lot. Now I am gifted in a different way than most people. So for me, I can hear like your voice. I can hear sometimes it sounds like a flutter, like a humming bird would be close to my ear, so it's like a wind and it's a it's a flutter, but you can hear sound in it. I can see it, I can dream it. I'm a seer, but in my dreams, like my dreams can speak to me and things come to pass. So that's what it sounds like for me. For most people who are always trying to figure out is this God speaking to me?
Speaker 2: Is this just my thoughts?
Speaker 12: I will tell you that when you think of something, you'll think of it and you may lose the thought later right, may not even come back to you. But when God is speaking to you, when he's putting something inside of you, it won't let you rest. It'll keep coming back. And so that's how you can kind of decipher. And then sometimes he will use a voice that's familiar to you. And when you gift it, sometime it do feel like you're crazy, and other people think that as well. But now of course I know like, oh no, this is just my gift and I don't hide it anymore. I don't straight away from it. I wrote about in my first book because I wanted people to know, like, this is me. If you won't rock with tail, honey, this is who I really am. I don't hide that part of me anymore.
Speaker 9: So, Wow, when you say you have a gift, so are you clairvoyant? Are you like a medium?
Speaker 23: I call it.
Speaker 12: I'm a seeer right, It's just you know, that's a gift that God gave me. I was born with it in that way. Yeah, my whole life, I feel like we all have discernment. We just don't all lean into it, right. But for me, as a little girl would dream about people I've never met before and wake up and tell my mom and dad. They're like, oh, I such and such, and they'd be like that person been dead twenty years, Like you would never know that person, right. I can remember being in my grandfather's funeral, but they're like, you were ten months old.
Speaker 4: It's no way for you to remember that. I don't know, and I can't control it. That's the thing.
Speaker 12: It just happens, like I gonna be talking to you and something can just appear that I can see, and it may be for you, or it may be to protect me.
Speaker 4: It's just a pen but I have no control over deb.
Speaker 6: I was gonna ask you, so you know North Carolina?
Speaker 4: Uh huh?
Speaker 6: So now you pick up your family and you move to LA. Yes, I was that conversation with your husband and your child, and let's just go to l A a place we don't know.
Speaker 2: You gotta find a new job in this good Carolina.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's crazy because at first my husband's like, so in ninety eight, I moved to California in pursuit of acting, but I wasn't in LA and I was like in Orange County, and I didn't tell my husband. He was my boyfriend at the time, Like how bad it was? I ain't telling nobody. I was renting the room from somebody who was like taking all my money. But you know, I'm like young, like nineteen, I really want to get this dream out of me and I want to do something. And so our plan was for him to move out a couple months later, you know, and then we would get our own place. But when he moved out and saw how I was living, he was like, no, this is crazy. He's like, you working two jobs and survive. You ain't nowhere near LA. You're not pursuing acting. He was like, we need to move back to North Carolina so that we could save but money because it's cheaper. He was like, we can stay for one year then move back to LA so you can really pursue your dreams. That one year turned into five years and a forgotten dream right until I had that experience that morning. So when I told my husband after I worked that job for like a year, I was like, now it's time for us to move back to LA.
Speaker 23: He was like nah. I was like, well, listen, I can.
Speaker 12: I can go out there, but like I can feel it calling me and I can come back and forth.
Speaker 4: He was like, oh, no, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 6: I can imagine those arguments you gonna go with.
Speaker 12: And I don't know what money I thought I had that I could be by coastal Okay, and go back and forth. I don't know what I was thinking, but we saved up like eight thousand dollars. Took us some months and we moved to LA And we first got there, we was living in Barwen Hills and my husband, I mean, we're both from the same hometown, you know, we're from Eden.
Speaker 4: It's a bear small town in North Carolina. And our apartment.
Speaker 12: I had flew out there to find our apartment because back then my husband used to be afraid to fly, you know, people from the country. They'd be like, I don't getting on no plane, you know. So I had went back and forth to find us a place and I found a cute this this spot was cute to me, right, And but it did have the bars on the window because most of them do in LA.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So, but we weren't used to that.
Speaker 12: But I didn't tell him because in my mind I thought it was nice, and it was.
Speaker 23: It did turn out to be nice.
Speaker 2: Was he able to bring his gun with them?
Speaker 4: He did?
Speaker 2: Action, Okay, you.
Speaker 4: Know what he did.
Speaker 9: He did.
Speaker 2: Carolina Garden.
Speaker 1: No, he did.
Speaker 12: But when we got that he was hot. He was like you what we was like right off Crenshaw. Yeah, he was like, what babe, we got a door there. I was like, babe, I didn't scolped it out. This is a good area, I promise you. And because there was you know, that was when the reality show ball when Hills was out. Remember that, I said, we live in Baldwin Hills. It's just that we don't live in View Park, but where we part we could see the view. Like I'm trying to sell it all right. But he got used to it over time. But you know, in the beginning, we was a little we was at odds for a while, but you know, we saved up for five years.
Speaker 4: And we loved it.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 9: One of the moments that we all saw that went viral was when you retired your husband and you know, Wendy Williams had made some statements about you and the way you responded. You responded with such grace and such love. It was almost like, I hope you heal absolutely moment. Do you respond like that always?
Speaker 23: In this season? In my life?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean the old tab probably would have had that get back spirit, right, But she didn't even know me, and I don't know her other than knowing her from you know her her career. But you can also tell when somebody is hurt. And we've all been through things that caused us to project and feel a certain way. But I'm not going to exhaust energy and give anybody control over me to anger me.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 12: So but also I just love people despite what anybody have to say about me. There's so many people now that that hate me, that don't know me, but I love them. It also makes me want to love harder in the world because people are hurting. Right. You know, a lot of people think that I'm fake because I'm nice and I'm like, I'm a kind, I'm compassionate. I held my mama's hand while she died, like I've seen death so many times, like I have also almost lost my life.
Speaker 23: Why would I not be happy and joyful?
Speaker 12: I'm still here sure, right, So it hurts my heart for other people when I know that they're just hurting and they don't mean any harm in a way that they it's really they're trying to make themselves feel better. They're projecting right, they're projecting, and so the harm is really they're doing it to themselves because they're not. Instead of projecting, you should be trying to heal yourself and get what you need to feel better.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, did you get a lot of flak for it?
Speaker 6: Because you know what it told me during that time is people don't understand love. Yeah, right, you love your husband. You were financially fine, and you can make sure that he's okay, you know, and it doesn't matter if he's a man, he's a woman, or what he is. You love me and you had the opportunity to retire man and men do it for women all the time. So I didn't see it. So did you get a lot of flat for it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I mean a lot of people had something to say about it, but that's their opinion.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 12: That ain't my business. But I also realized that a lot of people don't understand partnership.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 12: I've been my husband twenty six years, amazing, more than half my life. Right, most people don't even understand that.
Speaker 6: How do he feel?
Speaker 4: He felt amazing?
Speaker 12: But after what people don't know is I had been trying to retire my husband for like two years, we had enough money. He was like, that money came to quit. Bay, I don't want to do that to you now, just in case. Yeah, he was like, nah, I know one plus one equal two.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 12: Because he also has watched me in Hollywood over twenty years not get jobs for six months or two years or whatever.
Speaker 4: He was like, we can't.
Speaker 12: We can't count on this new money, right, And so I was like, Babe, I promise you I got the amount of money that we have always said that we have this amount of money in the bank. Tax has been paid. We don't owe nobody that you will retire. And he was like, all right, and let me think about it. He took a leave first. He just was like, I don't want that on your back, you know, even though he has a nonprofit, but it wasn't gonna make that, you know, coming straight down. He won't gonna make the kind of money he was making before. And I was like, but now you can build it. Now you can do all the things you wanted to do.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 12: So it took him a while, but afterwards, now listen, right now, what time is that they might be on the golf course?
Speaker 4: Okay, listen.
Speaker 12: He worked with his kids three four days a week, but he'd be on that golf course.
Speaker 4: He is, he is feeling it now, he about it. Absolute.
Speaker 6: We got more with Tabatha Brown when we come back, so don't move. It's to Breakfast clucle morning morning. Everybody in is dj NV Charlomagne to God, we are to Breakfast Club. Are still kicking it with Tabitha Brown, Charlomagne.
Speaker 9: Let's talk about this book. I did a new thing, your new book. Yes, all thirty days of living free. When it's living free to Tabitha Brown.
Speaker 12: Well, you know freedom over coach switching right, We talked about that. But living free is like taking the opportunity to do something even if it scares you, right, just doing something new.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 12: I started doing this challenge in twenty fourteen. I was really just in search of, like getting to know myself better because I still was not free. And I would do something new, whether it be with my kids or by myself, and just to see how it would open my mind and how it would make me feel. And so I did that over the years, and I would always, you know, learn something new about myself, like I discovered my love for hiking, and I was like, oh shoot, I never would have thought that I would love hiking. And then now it's something I have continued to do over the years, and so I was like, if I do this again, I think I want to write a book. So last year I did it for thirty days and I journaled it and made it into a book. And my hope was that other people want to, you know, live free and try new things and the other thing about freedom. In order to like really go out and do something new, that's the only way you're gonna know if you love something or you don't like it, right, you have to be willing to be like, I don't care, I just want to find out. Let me just see right. So, and it also could be something as simple as I'm gonna work my hair different right now I'm doing. You know, my hair name is Donna. So I'm doing while I'm on tour, I'm making a new hair style every day.
Speaker 2: He say his name is Donna.
Speaker 4: Yeah, her name Donna like Donna. Oh, it's just Donna.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 12: I named after don King because put together don K today. But she got her name because when I was I did the big chopping when she was growing back one night I was cooking live and it was like straight up in the top. I was like, why's that piece of hair, you know, sticking straight up looking like don King.
Speaker 23: I was like, I'm about to call her Donna.
Speaker 2: It's stuck, It's stuck.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I love that you dedicated your new book to you.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why was that important to do?
Speaker 12: Causeinay, I'm the one who made the decision to choose myself, sure right, And I made the decision to stop being afraid and to live my life my way and to try new things. And the biggest thing I ever did for thirty days was go vegan, and it saved my life.
Speaker 23: And I was like, girl, this youtab.
Speaker 12: I prayed that I forever and always do new things every day.
Speaker 23: I want to do that for the rest of my life.
Speaker 6: I was going to ask, you know, so many people listening right, how did you know not to give up?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 6: Because I'm sure there's somebody listening right now that's been trying music for ten years and it didn't work, And somebody that's trying acting it didn't work. Somebody's trying to be in the chef, somebody's trying to be an author, somebody's trying to do something online and creating videos and nobody's watching, and they probably said I felt I got a sign. Yeah, when did you tell them to say, maybe that's not the sign and maybe the change or you know, how do you somebody to continue to keep doing what they're doing because you could have gave up so many times?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I would never really tell anybody to give up.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 12: If you think God has given you a sign, then trust the signs. For me, it was always signs, and that's confirmation. If it won't let you rest, if you try to give up and it won't let you, those are the signs that we have to not ignore. But also we have to kind of ignore the noise of people who tell you you can't. But also we have to be honest with ourselves. If you are not really doing the work for the dream that you have, is it really your dream?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 12: Because sometimes it might be a goal. And the difference between a goal and a dream is a goal is something that you create. A dream is deposited inside of you. God does that. You don't make up a dream, it lives inside of you. So be honest with yourself. Do you want it?
Speaker 23: Because you see somebody else with it.
Speaker 4: It would look cool to you. Do you just want to make money or is it something that won't let you rest?
Speaker 6: Another chapter? Do something that breaks the rules but not the law.
Speaker 12: Oh so I tell people that all the time, Like, you know, some rules are said by us, you know, by people as well as laws.
Speaker 6: Right, but your kids come back with you all the time. Mommy said, break the rules.
Speaker 4: It's not the law exactly exactly. But I talk about this in the book that you know.
Speaker 12: I had got invited to a party, you know, and it was a strict dress code where they wanted you to wear black. I don't like wearing black, and this is about as black as a gift for me. I love color. It makes me happy when I wear like all black, it makes.
Speaker 4: Me feel weird full.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't know, like even at funerals, like in my family we wear a lot of colors, or we were white, but it just makes me feel a little I don't know, maybe sad. And I realize that if I do wear I got to have like a proper color. My lips are something I don't know. But I was like, I don't want to wear black to this thing. I gotta figure something out. So I found like I had this it was like a blaze, but it was the background was black, but they had a bunch of colors and patterns on it.
Speaker 23: And I wore like some black beilt bottomed pants.
Speaker 12: Got there and a lot of other people hadn't wore black, and so I was like, this is why we can break the rules sometimes.
Speaker 21: You know.
Speaker 12: I could have said, Okay, I'm gonna wear all black and been uncomfortable all night and then got there and being mad, like, look.
Speaker 4: At the people.
Speaker 12: They ain't wear what they said. We're supposed to wear it, right, So that's what I mean by that. Sometime we can break the rules. Just don't break the law.
Speaker 9: But you ain't never gonna follow in the dress code if it's an all white party and nothing.
Speaker 12: But yeah, I mean I would wear it, but it's gonna have to have a little something that make me feel like taped, you know, because I also want to go and be myself, you know, So do something that requires you to face your losses. That's a powerful So when I you know, I had a restaurant, right and when I had my restaurant, it was a partnership and we had a lot of problems with the building and so cause the kill my name is the restaurant in Chicago that I fell in love with. So when he came to LA, I was like, oh, I partnered with you an open a restaurant, which I didn't know the restaurant business. But this building gave us a lot of issues, and so we ultimately had to close.
Speaker 4: And so I was.
Speaker 12: Like, oh, man, it felt like a loss to me because I had had, you.
Speaker 23: Know, so much happening. People would come in.
Speaker 12: I would people come from all over to just meet me at the restaurant. And I wasn't there every day, but on the weekends or whenever I could, I would go and just be there all day to make sure I got to see people when they came. We ended up having to shut it down, and I was like really kind of hurt about, you know, for a while, and I really couldn't talk about it because we were having legal problems with the you know, the building on it, because it was the whole thing. When it was time to do my taxes, now I've been carrying this, like, man, I feel so bad about it. I realized that the loss had really blessed me. I wasn't wind right and so I was like, sometimes we got to look at the loss for what it is. Maybe it ain't a loss, you know. But also it opened up doors for me. And now I have, you know, my food and stuff at Target. So I was like, it won't necessarily a loss. You know, we can't always look at them, you know, things like that. So it actually blessed me because I ain't have to pay as much.
Speaker 2: Let's run some of this stub down now. So you got deals with Target? Who else? Come on, no need to be humble in this moment. Act like a rapper right now.
Speaker 9: You know, he got the tap time booming on YouTube. You got deals with Target, you got book deals?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 12: I have my own Seavenings McCormick Spice. I have six of those Fridays with tab and do have frides having chance. I do very good Mondays where I blessed small businesses every Monday. Of course I have my own merch. They feel weird to just name everything.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 23: I don't even you know, I still do my active thing.
Speaker 25: You know.
Speaker 12: I've launched a production company in a partnership with Stephen Love with may Love Media.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Tabitha Brown because she didn't talk to you for ever new book.
Speaker 2: I did a new thing.
Speaker 6: We appreciate you for joining usage strange.
Speaker 4: Absolutely should I end how I end my video?
Speaker 12: Okay, well listen. First of all, thank y'all for having me. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 2: Thank y'all.
Speaker 12: Y'all going bout y'all business. All right, have the most amazing day. But even if you can't have a good one, don't you they'll go messing up. Nobody else is here. God, bless y'all.
Speaker 4: Love y'all.
Speaker 2: It's the breakfast Love all.
Speaker 6: Right, Good morning everybody. It's DJ NV Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to tell you, first.
Speaker 9: Of all, to the breatha fresh air. That is Tabitha Brown. Tabitha Brown, absolutely North Carolina's on man. I had to find out what her morning, her morning routine was. I need to know how she how she set her tone for the day.
Speaker 6: That's right, so much positivetage. Let's get to the room. Is a stalk shack.
Speaker 2: Of names or you've gossip been on you chatting? Is the rumor report?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess were on the breakfast club.
Speaker 2: This is where the tea.
Speaker 6: Spells right right, all right now shout to Shaquille O'Neill. He has partnered up with tad Day now today started a campus, a school, a college, and Shaquille O'Neill wants to start investing in college to help students actually pay for school. He said, if it wasn't for his scholarship, he doesn't know how he would be how he would have went to college? Is shack talking about it?
Speaker 9: What was it about campus that made you say this is a worthwhile investment, not just for my money, but also for my time.
Speaker 10: You know, I like to invest in things. It's going to change people's lives. That to definitely changed a person's life. Everyone. To be able to have access to world class education is very important. When I first met today, he told me DF deals, Like, what does that mean? Debt free degrees?
Speaker 24: Uh?
Speaker 10: Very you know, very very very affordable. And look, it's just a great thing. I'm going to be the guy that you know, along with you know, people like yourself with doing his injury, We're going to bring attention to this matter. You know a lot of people, and you know I would saying earlier, I don't know what it takes to go to junior college, Like I wouldn't even went to college if for one for my basketball scholarship. I know there's a lot of people that are, you know, getting the higher end. They want to further of their education. But you know, a lot of things throw him up. But he hasn't beened, you know. I mean, you know, what he's been thinking about for a long time is very very impressive.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 9: I didn't go to college, you know what I'm saying. But I understand the importance of a college education. But I don't think people should go broke for a college education, you know. And and I'm a big proponent of a you know, trade trade school as well. But either way, a lot of people can't afford to do either one of these things. So I salute the Shack for what he's doing. Absolutely. It's one of the reasons I opened up for a scholarship for at South Carolina State University, which, by the way, the deadline is February sixteenth, twenty twenty four. You can apply at bit dot l y slash forward Family SCSU Scholarship for all South Carolina State residents and seniors and more seniors that's come to say university.
Speaker 6: Now, if you're a big TikToker like Charlemagne is. That's a goddamn Universal is TikTok Universal Universal Music Group is threatening to pull their artists off of the TikTok platform. Now, this is over a contract dispute. Now, TikTok and Universal has been going back and forth. TikTok is basically saying, look, we made agreements with all these other labels and all these other places. What's the problem with us. And Universal is saying, now, there's a bunch of things that we got to discuss. We have to discuss. You can't take out our artists off and use AI. There's a couple of things that they want and they won't approve using the artists until these things are taken care of. TikTok is saying, you guys just want the money. You guys are just saying you're an artist first agreement, but clearly you guys just want more money and more situations in a more benefit role. And Universal Music Group is saying, no, that's not the case. We want to protect our artists and protect our music.
Speaker 9: So I don't believe that I believe that they're fighting over who can make the most money. I don't think the artists in that question at all. I think TikTok is like, we want to make all the money. Universe is like, we want to make all the money. And I don't hear the artists being mentioned in that at I'm shocked that they even said that at the end while looking out for the artists.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that.
Speaker 6: Now. Their demands include protection against AI generated recordings, online safety issues for user, and higher conversation for its artists and songwriters.
Speaker 9: That's what Universal is asking for. I'll tell you something else, and this is just me talking. I don't know anything about this, you know, I have no facts of proof to back this up, because it seems to me that most of these kids would rather be on TikTok more than record labels nowadays anyway, because TikTok is breaking so many records.
Speaker 6: TikTok breaks more records than labels do. And that's that's what they've been saying. That's what the labels are saying, Like TikTok is almost like a music platform where people hear music, and since they're playing music, we got to protect our artists, make sure they can't do AI generated things, make sure that the conversation is better because you hear it all the time that somebody a stream or or it'd be so many millions of download and they'll make twenty dollars. So they're trying to make sure that the artist accountisation labels.
Speaker 9: If I own my music right and I'm already getting paid off my music and I'm using TikTok as a distribution platform, wow, I'd rather be on TikTok and just getting people my music as opposed to signing to a label then letting the label put it on TikTok and then the label.
Speaker 2: Out and go right to TikTok. That's true, That is true?
Speaker 6: All right, well that is your rumor reports. Now, Chelamann, who are giving your donkey two?
Speaker 9: You know for Donkey of the Day to day? I need some crowd participation, Okay. The reason I need crow participation I want to go to breakfast club Court after Donkey of the Day and I want to decide who is going to get Donkey of the day.
Speaker 2: Will it be Starbucks?
Speaker 9: Okay, the place that so many of us love, you know when we go there all the time with chestnut preleine, frappuccinos and peppermint mocha frappuccinos, and dragon pepper white chocolate mochas, and yeah, dragonfly elimonade, Dragon Fraggon ball Z lemonade. Now all of that type of stuff are Will it be an employee who I think was unjustly fired from Starbucks?
Speaker 6: We'll discuss. Okay, we'll discuss. All right, we'll get to that next. And don't move.
Speaker 3: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same. Some donkey to days just so themselves.
Speaker 2: Charlotte Ready, I.
Speaker 6: Never read the donkey other day.
Speaker 8: Say it again, charlam Man, I'm a yes.
Speaker 9: Y, Charlotte Rue, Yes donkey today for Wednesday, February first, the first day of Black No.
Speaker 2: Today Thursday and Wednesday Thursday.
Speaker 9: Here today for Thursday, February first, the first day of Black History Month.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's going to the people to decide.
Speaker 9: Yes, our amazing Breakfast Club listeners, the millions of you who listen to us daily, you will get to decide today who gets the biggest he hall. You will get to decide who gets the credit they deserve for being stupid.
Speaker 2: I personally know who I feel in my heart. You get it, But I want you.
Speaker 9: All to hear the story and then we can discuss and I'll give the heat haul later. But donkey of the day today will go to either a Starbucks in Saint Louis. All right, are a twenty year old former employee of the Starbucks in Saint Louis, Michael Harris. See, Michael Harris was fired from Starbucks in Saint Louis, and he is currently suing the whole coffee chain, saying he was wrongfully terminated after he confronted robbers at the store. Oh my god, No, Now, y'all know how I feel about that. These franchises ain't dying for you. Okay, somebody coming there and rob the star Let him have it, all right, it ain't yours.
Speaker 2: They pull out a pistol here, man, you can have all the pistachiol, frappucino, blended beverages you want, all right here.
Speaker 9: Take the get cards at the counter. You want a couple dollars out the register, you can take that too. Just gone about your business, all right? You nucked, and I ain't about to buck over. No, damn Starbucks are any fast food a retail chain for that matter.
Speaker 2: I'm making minimum wage. Okay.
Speaker 9: By the way, I don't care if you're a store manager making a salary. I'm not dying over no white chocolate mocha frappucino blended beverage.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: Now there is exceptions to the rule because sometimes you are not defending the star you have to yourself. And if you ask me, Michael Harris was in a position we had to defend himself. Let's go to NBC five on your side for the report.
Speaker 2: Police.
Speaker 26: I thought I was gonna die that day. They walked in announced that it was a robbery.
Speaker 27: Twenty year old Michael Harris was working the drive through here at the Starbucks on South Grand in Midtown.
Speaker 26: Then they started going up to people and firsteing them for stuff, and.
Speaker 2: We started to fight back against him, he says.
Speaker 27: When the two men then demanded cash from the register, he tried to open it, he says. One of the bad guys then hit him on the head with the gun. He tells me he felt emboldened to stand his ground, especially when he realized the gun he had just been attacked with was faith.
Speaker 6: Trigger for it like came busted off.
Speaker 26: And then that's when we noticed us and started to fight back.
Speaker 27: Not knowing if the crooks had another gun, Harris said he wanted to be careful. Eventually, one of the crooks took off. Harris and another coworker were able to restrain the other until police could get there. Weeks after the situation, Harris says he got a callated me.
Speaker 2: Damn, b you can bring it in here. You can bring the chaps to get in my lipso goddamn dry. First rule of nature is self preservation, okay. Michael Harris said he felt like he was gonna die that day. Thank you.
Speaker 9: Michael Harris said he felt like he was gonna die that day. Michael Harris got hitting the head with the fake gun, so his blood was probably boiling, Okay. He was probably enraged, and then he realized the gun was fake because he noticed the trigger had fell off, so he sprung into action. Now I don't know if he's sprung in the action because he was trying to get his look back for getting hit with the gun. I don't know if he still felt like his life was in danger. I don't know if he was defending Starbucks. I just know he was fired weeks later and never given the reason as to why now a lot of these franchises like Starbucks have protocols in place, then sure things like this don't happen. In fact, Starbucks said about this incident that all employees are expected to follow are carefully crafted protocols to ensure the safety of customers and partners during these situations. Starbucks says, in situations like this, our training and protocols guide our partners to comply and de escalate, not just for their safety, but for the safety of all in the store, the safety of our customers and partners. But guess what the Home of the Caramel Apple Spice doesn't teach you. What's the proper procedure when you got a gun into your head?
Speaker 28: What the fucking precision when you got a gun in your head?
Speaker 9: Michael Harrison in the Turne he said Starbucks policy is unfair. Their statement there is no way that an individual can be faced with danger, attempted potential death for themselves or another and then once they've been hit or down that they cannot defend themselves. Linard agrees, Okay, you have to factor in human emotions to all of this. Michael is a young twenty year old man who felt like his life was in danger. You can't be upset at him for fighting back when he thinks he's getting robbed at gunpoint and then he gets hit in the head with a gun. In fact, he shouldn't be fired. He should be employee of the month. He should be promoted the manager. Let him get unlimited sugar cookie, almond milk frappuccinos. This man earned that in much more. I believe if Michael would have said he was fighting for the store and not himself, he probably would still be employed today. But I told you we're going to go to breakfast club court.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 9: You heard the facts of the case, You've heard the situation. So who should get the biggest he hal here? Michael plas, Yeah, play him, get the breakfast to Michael for not following store protocols even though his life was in danger. Are Starbucks for allegedly firing Michael for not following store protocols? Once again, who should get the biggest he haul here? Michael for not following store protocols even though his life was in danger. Are Starbucks for allegedly firing Michael for not following store protocols even though his life was in danger. I don't usually agree with employees playing hero when stares they work at get robbed. But this was more than that. This was a man defending himself because he was working in a franchise that got robbed. There is a difference. Let's discuss, all right.
Speaker 6: Let's open up the phone lines eight hundred and five eighty five, one oh five one. Now, the reason most store owners are don't want people to apprehend shoplift. This is because they are not insured to risk their health physically, all right, So if something happens, they don't want to be liable. If you die, they don't want to be liable. But Charlemagne said something very specific. The man was hit over the head with the guns defending himself. So now it's not a robbery.
Speaker 8: This is an.
Speaker 6: Assault in his self preservation, and I have to defend myself first law nature, self preservation. He wasn't defending that store at that time. He was defending that head.
Speaker 21: Pause pause, woo woo woo woo woo.
Speaker 2: God, Mad Mac, where's your whip?
Speaker 25: Mac?
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ? Mad back? Come on Mac, where's the need that I'm going home?
Speaker 6: Got hit over the No, no, no, bro, God call us up now.
Speaker 2: Let's just because your brain working that way.
Speaker 6: The Breakfast Club, right, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Its topic time called eight hundred five eight five one five one to join it to the discussion with the breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: Morning everybody. It's DJ Envy Charlemagne, the God. We are the Breakfast Club. If you're just joining us. Charlemagne is trying to decide if he should give donkeys a data who.
Speaker 9: Well, here's the thing. Michael Harris twenty years old. He was an employee of Starbucks.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: He got fired from Starbucks because people came in there to rob the store. One of the guys hit him over the head with the gun, and he realized that the gun was fake because he saw the trigger fall. But he defended himself, correct, right, So weeks later Starbucks fired him.
Speaker 2: So now Michael Harris is suing Starbucks. Now.
Speaker 9: Usually I am totally against people fighting, you know, robbers when they come in to rob the places that they work at, because we know that none of these establishments, these chained retail stores, we know they ain't dying for you, so you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Die for them.
Speaker 9: But this is a different case. This man was not defending Starbucks. He was defending himself. The first law of nature, his self preservation got hitting the head with a gun. Once he realized the gun was fake, he went and made his move. That's not mad at that. I don't think he should be fired, but it's not up to me. It's up to the people. All right, that's coming to I don't think he should be Donkey to day, but it's not to mean.
Speaker 2: It's up to people. Hello, who's this Hi?
Speaker 24: This is Laobi.
Speaker 6: Hey Laomi, good morning, Good morning. Now you heard the story. Do you think Michael should get Donkey or Starbucks?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 20: I think it depends on you know what race is Michael, because.
Speaker 7: He is like you know of the talkaboy race.
Speaker 17: And he said that did it, and he said.
Speaker 6: The mind his business, and he said, let whatever.
Speaker 20: Happen and fall on the poor and just let this guys do.
Speaker 7: When he was sposed to now as he was black.
Speaker 28: Starbus old him an apology and he needs his drop back period because.
Speaker 6: His black history. So he's black. Yes, queen queenstand what you're saying.
Speaker 2: That is ridiculous. But he that is beyond ridiculous.
Speaker 4: It's not about what his race was, yes, it does.
Speaker 2: It's about right or wrong in this situation. Black, oh, white man? How about the people who robbed him was black?
Speaker 6: How about that?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 28: If he was robbed and he was black, you riding with him?
Speaker 2: It don't matter about the races?
Speaker 6: Her opinion and you you said the people this deside.
Speaker 2: She'd be disqualified from the jury. That's racist.
Speaker 9: That's number one. Yes, that would be she'd be disqualified from the damn jury. Okay, matter of fact, she is a qualified listening to her.
Speaker 2: Hello, who's this?
Speaker 18: Yeah's call man tall lot of Pride County, Florida.
Speaker 2: What's said? My brother?
Speaker 9: Should Michael get donkey of to day? Should Starbucks get donkey to day?
Speaker 18: Listen?
Speaker 19: Man?
Speaker 18: As much as I don't want to say it, I wars broken JP man, but I'm gonna keep it rudder. He blessed up where he had led.
Speaker 16: It.
Speaker 18: Ain't realized that was.
Speaker 6: Fa so he said there was no red threat at that point.
Speaker 18: At that point, there was no redder threat, just like you were speaking on a few weeks ago where somebody got their back. R Yeah, there's no reasonless fire.
Speaker 6: You're no long that day.
Speaker 9: Well, listen, you've seen like a BB gun before, you know them BB guns that be looking real. They still got some weight to him. So he I can still pistol with you with that BB gun and he got hitting.
Speaker 2: The head with it.
Speaker 6: But he's trying to sway to Jersey.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just.
Speaker 18: Saying, yeah, you you like I say, man, I hope he get paid. I hope you get pried. But he should have left that little detail a lot man. Just when all live, I thought it was read. I was as for life or what suld admit that your red live. It was just say, girl, you know the corporational care they want your computer. Basically, they want you to take all there. That's that that slap over the head. Go get back to your Tara.
Speaker 6: Hello, who's this mister sharp layne? He Charmaine? Good morning? Where you calling it from?
Speaker 2: Good morning?
Speaker 18: They in Ohio?
Speaker 6: Dy in Ohio. So who do you think she get? Donkey Michael or Starbucks?
Speaker 19: Starbucks? Because they're not about to pay for that man center, and so he had to do what he had to do to keep his life.
Speaker 6: That's right, Okay, thank you man, have problem know?
Speaker 9: Okay, So currently we got one for Michael, one for Starbucks, and one disqualified juror because she made it about race, and I don't know why.
Speaker 6: Eight hundred five eighty five one five. When we come back, we're gonna take some more calls. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning, everybody at CJ and Bean. Charlamagne the guy. We are to Breakfast Club. If you're just joining us. Charlamage is trying to decide who he wants to give donkey to get it, Starbucks or Michael.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 9: Now, let me explain the situation. Michael Harris was an employee at Starbucks in Saint Louis. Some guys came in there to rob the Starbucks in Saint Louis. One of the guys hit Michael in the head with a gun.
Speaker 2: Then Michael realized that the gun was faked because he saw the trigger fall off. So Michael decided to defend himself and he fought back against the robber.
Speaker 9: You know, and now weeks later, Starbucks has fired him, and Michael believes he got fired because he didn't follow their protocol, which is to comply and de escalate in situations like that. But I feel like the first law of nature is self preservation. You gotta in human emotion, somebody think that their life is about to be taken. They get hitting the head with a gun. I don't have a problem with the young man defended himself in that situation.
Speaker 2: Hello, who's this Malcolm? Malcolm?
Speaker 6: What's up? Brother? What's your thoughts? Malcolm should get Donkey? Should it be Starbucks or Michael? Listen?
Speaker 7: I think both of them should get it. Be honest with you, explain all right, Listen. I used to manage restaurrounds. Man, I used to manage the Burger King.
Speaker 2: We got proud.
Speaker 7: But I feel like I feel like Starbucks should be smart enough to know that he wasn't defending Starbucks at the time.
Speaker 2: He was defending himself.
Speaker 18: Starbucks.
Speaker 7: They need to know that right off the back.
Speaker 6: So then why is he getting dunky Good?
Speaker 7: He gotta get Dunky because he needs to know if these dudes got guns drawn who regardless if you think it's fake or not, you gotta take that lost because you don't know if they got.
Speaker 18: Another one or what's going on.
Speaker 7: That's trying to sit there and take that.
Speaker 2: I thought about that too, Like.
Speaker 7: They both got to share this and they need to go somewhere and talk about it, and both of them just be dounky and just living their.
Speaker 2: Life like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, Hello, who's this.
Speaker 17: And her garter?
Speaker 7: Jake calling for the dunky of the day.
Speaker 2: Here, what's happening kid and her daughter? What's you said?
Speaker 27: Jake?
Speaker 21: Yay?
Speaker 2: J A E P j O James?
Speaker 6: Okay, what's what's what's the ages?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 6: What's your what's your daughter's age?
Speaker 12: He's lye?
Speaker 6: Okay, so what so what do y'all think?
Speaker 17: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Dogs?
Speaker 12: Is the donkey after day?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 12: Mama, I can't say anything because he told me I was the junkie of the day because I'm always getting her the school late.
Speaker 9: Damn well, she's right, she's correct, because you're probably stopping that Starbucks probably got stopping a stall Bucks, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Aren't you tell the.
Speaker 19: Truth only if I'm allowed to give her the macht.
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. Thank y'all want to have a great day in school? Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 2: What's going on? Fellows?
Speaker 13: This Julie from Jacksonville, Floorville.
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 6: What's your thoughts? Who get the bad day? Michael A Starbucks?
Speaker 17: Hey, hey man, you gotta go ahead and get that Starbucks man? That man for like little people doing a moment up. Man, they ain't got security and nothing did the starbars let him.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right, so far that's three for Starbucks before if you do kid and a daughter, Okay, well I got all right.
Speaker 6: She didn't vote though my mom didn't.
Speaker 9: Mama didnt vote, didn't want vote, okay, cause she get donkey today for being late.
Speaker 6: Hello, who's that? This last one? This is hey destiny, good morning. So who she get donk in today? Is it Starbucks or is it Michael?
Speaker 20: It's definitely going to be Starbucks, because I get it what they have policies.
Speaker 19: And procedures set for a reason.
Speaker 20: However, if somebody sitting me across the head with a gun, my notice said, it's fate and the pieces too, it start to fall apart. Obviously, I'm going to take that opportunity to defend myself and those around me because things still could have went wrong. So I think he's bringing to action and he should and Starbust definitely gets dunk the other day.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 11: All right?
Speaker 10: Vote.
Speaker 2: We took one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
Speaker 9: We took seven calls right, eight calls, eight calls. One Jurk got disqualified because she made it about race. So that's seven. So we have one, two, three, four for Starbucks. One dude voted for Michael Land Starbucks. More of the story is Starbucks is getting the donkey of today. The first law of nature is self preservation. That's right, first law nature. And I feel like if he would have told them, you know, he was trying to defend the store, they probably wouldn't have done that to him. But even still, you still get you got to defend yourself. First law nature is self preservation. I'm not mad at the brother, all right, So please let the Starbuck get the sweet Sounge and the Hamiltons.
Speaker 17: Oh no, you are the.
Speaker 6: Ah the daye. Alright, now, when we come back, we got your room of report. Donald Glow he's doing the reboot of Mister and Missus Smith and when he asked Brad Pick for some advice, he kind of got, uh, let's just say curved. We'll talk about it when we come back. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, all right, morning everybody, it's dj en v Charlamagne de goud. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk Donald Glover names or you gossip.
Speaker 2: This is the rumor report.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast Club. This is where the t spells right right, all right now. Donald Glover was on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. They're doing the reboot of Mister and Missus Smith. You remember that movie with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.
Speaker 2: I do, now that you said it.
Speaker 6: It was a great movie, great, great, great movie.
Speaker 2: So I don't think I've watched it, but I remember the promos and stuff for it.
Speaker 6: Was a dope movie. It was they were a couple. They both worked for the Feds. They didn't know they both worked for the Feds, and then they found out and they was gonna kill each other and they decided to work it out. Don't move. If you haven't seen it, definitely go see it. But they're doing a new reboot on the movie. Donald Glover asked Brad Pitt, you know some advice about the movie, and he got curved.
Speaker 2: Did you talk to h Brad Pitten.
Speaker 6: All or did you did?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 24: But he like he didn't give me, like any real point. He kind of brad pitted his way out of it. He's just kind of like, you know, charms the way he's like, you know, you'll do great, like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it makes you feel Yeah.
Speaker 2: So who's miss Smith from the movie?
Speaker 6: Miss Smith is Maya Erskine? I don't know who that is. Maya Erskine is Miss Smith.
Speaker 2: Wells black white with doctor Wumar proof is.
Speaker 10: What is it? Is it?
Speaker 6: Did you just disqualify that lady for asking about race?
Speaker 2: So that was ridiculous. That was just that made no sense what she was asking. I'm just asking.
Speaker 6: Let me look at up. Maya Erskine is. Okay, Well, she's not black, she's Asian. She's Asian. She's an American. Actually, yes, she's Asian.
Speaker 2: Okay, doctoring my witness proof. No, Okay, are they actually married in the movie.
Speaker 6: I just haven't seen have well in the old movie they are married. This movie, I'm assuming they would be married.
Speaker 2: Man, doctor whom I about to do a video about mister Missus Smith, Doctor Umar missed and Missus Smith review is coming soon.
Speaker 6: It's coming soon to an Instagram. Jesus Christ. Now hit boy, you know hit Boy producer. He did Niggas in Paris, he did click Kanye West, he did backseat Freestyle, Kendrick Lamar and a host of others bowed down for Beyonce flooryless jealous, haunted, but he talks about producers being underpaid.
Speaker 29: I want to empower to like produce a community because like even looking at some of my OG's and legends that I might know, the average person might not even know who somebody that I know is an amazing human being, an amazing talent.
Speaker 6: They don't even know who the thing is.
Speaker 29: Because history of this is the face is the.
Speaker 6: One who's doing it.
Speaker 29: Like I just chopped up a sample in front of you right now, and like won't even see that process at all. Here a song that ever is rapping over it and be like, oh WHOOPI whoop sampled that song when it's really hit boy sampled, you know what I mean? They gonna just put it on the artists. And that's because it's like the face value. And it's just like producers get played, bro. I know other producers that's popping, that's complaining about albums that dropped months ago that we none of us got paid off of these out here touring making millions of dollars, bro, And we're trying to beg the label to pass a Measley fee.
Speaker 9: I really wish more people would follow the Nas and hip boy formula, right, because that's a formula that you know, a lot of us grew up on when it was like the Snoop Doggs and the Doctor Dre. Like one one artist locked in with a producer for a whole project and what him and NAS did, you know, was incredible, incredible.
Speaker 2: He's a three time Grammy win It's loot the hit Boy for that. I think he's nominated. He's nominated though, this is some Grammys this year too as well. Yeah, again because the NOWS album is nominated.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I do like when when producers locking, but I also like when artists get different producers, right. I like when when Jay has the ability to work work with Timberland, Pharrell Primo, and then he'll work with Doctor Dre and then he'll work with Hit Boy.
Speaker 10: I like.
Speaker 6: I like the fact that they're able to work in different things, but but.
Speaker 9: Out when they're when they're when they're together locked in, it's just a more cohesive project most of the time.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 9: You know, you think about those Wu tang Riza albums, you know, those those those Death Row Doctor Dre produced albums.
Speaker 6: It was their sound like when they're locked in with one producer. To me, it's a more cohesive project. And I will say with producers that there was a time when producers were eating so much, back in the older Timberland days and the Swiss Beats days, Like these producers were getting two fifty a record, five hundred thousand record, one hundred and fifty thousand record. Back then, it seemed like it veered off a lot. But back in the day, they used to stick these artists up absolutely positively. Lastly, Candice Owens, she was on her podcast, The Canvas Own Podcast, and she wanted to discuss a new record and it was Ice Spices Fart.
Speaker 28: Ice Spice recently released a song. It's called Think You the Fart. Yeah, I'm sorry, that's the title of a song. It's called think You Fart? And if you're wondering whether or not it's a good song, what do you think? It's called think You the Fart? Now, I think we can all admit that we've fallen as a society. I mean, I wouldn't say that that was Mozart or Beethoven, but I'm not All of these mainstream media publications that routinely rushed to defend this kind of music, similar to what they did with rock the most disgusting and filthiest lyrics I've ever read Here is hotnew hip hop dot com. Rushing to defend this, I Spice employees direct and unapologetic language to establish dominance over her peers, touching on the themes of wealth, physical appeal, and personal prowess. I just want to live in a society where we can all acknowledge that a song that's entitled think You the Fart is in fact itself a part.
Speaker 17: Ay man.
Speaker 9: You know it ain't for me. Man, I'm forty five years old. I was born in nineteen hundred and seventy eight year Okay for me, all right, I will say this right, I ain't saying nothing.
Speaker 6: I A for me.
Speaker 2: I ain't got nothing to say about that.
Speaker 6: Since twenty three, she just turned twenty four.
Speaker 9: She's doing her she's young, she's doing her that she's she's making the best possible art that she can, and you know, people are eating it up.
Speaker 6: Candae Owens is thirty four years old. Of course she's not going to get ice spices far, but there's a generation of kids that nobody to get a.
Speaker 2: Nice fart I hope wit Spice would have the coof to not fart around people.
Speaker 6: Bro, they love the song. Fart like this song is a catchy song. He kids like the song. They do like this song.
Speaker 9: Listen, everybody, everybody tie it to their opinion because you don't like it. That's just the truth of the matter. But I don't neither do I. But I know that it ain't for me.
Speaker 6: But as a DJ, I will play it in the club and I will play it because it's what the people like.
Speaker 9: Or how do you announce it when you're on the microphone at the party, New Ice Pice far God, yeah, candas one's right, we fall into society, y'all. There's a great move we called idiocracy, right, And if you watch Idiocracy, there's a scene in the movie where, like the I mean, yeah, there's a scene in the movie where the biggest movie of the moment is a movie called ass right, And it's literally just a man's ass on the screen, a pale white ass, and the ass is just foughting every now and then, and everybody's laughing and dying.
Speaker 6: They ass off.
Speaker 9: That's what they said. They said, when I said last week when we were playing fought every hour on the hour. I was like, it feels like we're in a spoof.
Speaker 6: But that's what they were saying farthest funny to people like it.
Speaker 2: It ain't for me. I was born in nineteen hundred and seventy eight. Okay, that's not for me.
Speaker 6: Big Sean did a record called ass ass As.
Speaker 2: Shut up. It's not the same. There's between the ass what comes out that ass.
Speaker 9: Okay, maybe she should have named it something else, something cuter, like poop, like Poot's a cuter, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Fought This sounds hard, but she says, you're.
Speaker 6: Not the ish. You're not even a poop.
Speaker 2: But it could still have the same lyrics. Maybe there's a different title.
Speaker 6: You not the issue, not even a breaking win, the issue, not even breaking win, backfire. You're not the issue. You're not even Maybe gas, that's what it should have been called Gas should have been.
Speaker 2: No, I ain't say change the layer. I'm just saying, if you just changed the title.
Speaker 6: You can't.
Speaker 9: You know, gas, you gotta go all the way, gotta be a different package. You're gonna give me lyrics like that, give me a different packaging, different that's all. But I'm not here to critique her. She's a young girl and she's making the best possible art that she can.
Speaker 2: It's not for me. If you like fart, that is on.
Speaker 8: You do your thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm wrong, wrong?
Speaker 6: All right, Well, thank you for that room to report. We'll come back to People's Choice Mix. Let's go to Breakfast Luckle Morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same, all right. It's Black History Month.
Speaker 8: What we do it?
Speaker 9: Man, Today is the first day of Black History Month. And you know during Black History Month, my man b Dot salutor b Dot. He does a podcast called I Didn't Know Maybe you didn't either. It comes out daily on the Black Effect iHeartRadio podcast network, and today I will be playing his first episode, and we're gonna talk about the history of swimming pools in America.
Speaker 2: We'll discuss when we come back.
Speaker 6: All right, we'll get to that next. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, warning everybody, it's DJ NV Charlamagne de Goud. We are the Breakfast Club's Black History Month. The first day of Black History.
Speaker 9: Month, First day of Black History Month, man, and I gotta sleute my guyb Dot. You know, every day during Black History Month. We have a podcast called I Didn't Know, Maybe you didn't either. It's a daily podcast hosted by b Dot where every day during Black History Month, he will tell you some things about black history that you didn't know. And today he's gonna talk to you about swimming pools in the history of swimming pools in America.
Speaker 25: Let's go be Dot, Yo, what's happening, and welcome to season three. If I didn't know, maybe you didn't either. I'm your host b Dot. This season, my goal is to connect the dots and show how some of the same atrocities were faced in the.
Speaker 8: Enslavement periods we experience today.
Speaker 25: Like that white lady that poured a bottle of soda on the head of eleven year old Jason Lee Yuri in Greensboro.
Speaker 2: North Carolina last year.
Speaker 8: Did you hear about that?
Speaker 25: Sixty two year old Kim Jennings She approached eleven year old Jason Lee Yuri and his eight year old sister Jayla and poured soda on the top of his head for swimming in the apartment complex pool. After pouring soda on his head, she punched him in the face with the can and then proceeded to douse him with the remaining contents in the camp. Of course, once the video went viral, she released an apology. She was arrested on two council simple assault, and the parents they filed a federal discrimination lawsuit. They being represented by Ben Krump, Jason Keith, and Harry Daniels. So you know we're gonna get some results. But historically black folks being mistreated by white folks at swimming pools.
Speaker 8: It's been heavily.
Speaker 25: Documented white folks never wanted us at the swimming pools. Like first, late nineteenth and early twentieth century, pools were built in white neighborhoods only, and they were segregated by gender.
Speaker 8: Men and women couldn't be in the same pool. By the nineteen twenties and.
Speaker 25: Thirties, it was a pool building spree all over the United States, literally thousands and thousands of pools, some of them was bigger than football fields, but they were extremely segregated, to the point where black folks would get violently beaten down just for trying to access the pools.
Speaker 8: And it was primarily for two reasons.
Speaker 25: One racist assumptions that black people were dirtier than white people, and two gender integration. See, most whites didn't want black men in particular to have access to white women as such an intimate public space. Once desegregation hit in the sixties, we were introduce to white flight. Now, white flight is when white folks stopped going to the public pools and build private.
Speaker 8: Pools, club pools, or just pools that they crib. And white flight is a real thing.
Speaker 25: It's been used to describe the phenomenon of when a neighborhood would become racially integrated. See when a black family would move into a neighborhood that had been all white, large numbers of white families would move right on out.
Speaker 6: Look the day.
Speaker 25: Pick the story, whether it was the nineteen fifty seven swimming pools show down in Monroe, North Carolina with the black folks versus the Klan. That story is eloquently documented in the book Negroes with Guns, Or you can pick nineteen sixty four when James Brock dumb acid in the pool at the Monson Motor Lodge in Saint Augustine, Florida, just to try to keep black folks from swimming in his pools. Or just last year in twenty twenty three, when Kim Jennings poured soda on and assaulted an eleven year old black boy, jace Lee Yuri, in front of his eight year old sister, Jayla, in Greensboro, North Carolina.
Speaker 8: She says he was trespassing.
Speaker 25: We'll discuss how trespassing relates to them enslave periods in episode three oh eight.
Speaker 2: But the moral of the story is this.
Speaker 25: Fifty eight percent of black kids can't swim, and there's been a historical hatred for black folks and swimming pools since the very first public swimming pool was built in Boston, Massachusetts, in eighteen sixty eight.
Speaker 8: And I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 9: No, all right, salutabidott falutabidt man. Make sure you subscribe to I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either. On the Black Effect. iHeart Radio podcast network available everyone.
Speaker 2: You listen to.
Speaker 6: Podcasts, all right, when we come back, we got the positive notice the Breakfast Club to morning, Good morning everybody. It's DJ Envy Charlamagne de Goud. We are the Breakfast Club. I got a salute my wife. Today is her birthday today, so salute to ge a happy birthday, baby, and day Gil, And you got a positive, No, Charlah, I do.
Speaker 2: And it's a simple one.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: It's an oldie but goodie.
Speaker 9: Worry about your character, not your reputation, because your character is who you are. Your reputation is who people think you are. Character over reputation, all day, every day.
Speaker 8: Breakfast club bitches. You y'all finish for y'all done,