Speaker 1: As a late fifteen to ten touchdown Sacers.
Speaker 2: What a day. Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, as always, joined by Matt Mooney Smith, Taping this late Thursday night, hours after the Jim Harball introductory press conference. Buddy, it was a landmark day in Chargers history, specifically here in Los Angeles. With a personality as large as Jim Harball, you had to go big. The Charge went big at YouTube Theater and what a spectacle it was for an hour plus and I know you spoke to Jim on fetch you some money afterwards.
Speaker 1: We did, yeah, which is why we're doing this. Late had a three to seven radio show and Coach was kind enough to give us about fifteen minutes in the three o'clock hour, and he was great. And we used to talk to Coach quite regularly when he was at Stanford. He would come on a lot recognized and this is someone who understands availability and opportunity. And you know, we have a pretty popular show here in southern California, and he used us as a recruiting tool and we used, you know, him as an entertaining guest. And so thankfully it kind of I think remembered that and so to remember talking to us, We had a great time. And that's I think you saw that in the presser, you know that when John Spanos got up there and said he remembered a conversation they had twenty some years ago when coaches at San Diego, and I think that's there is something to that. There is something to recognizing, and we've talked about this, recognizing that there are so many opportunities around you and somebody's title or station in life may not represent the opportunity that they present to helping you better yourself or your situation. And certainly coach seems to be somebody that is very cognizant of that. Hence his recollection of John simply telling him that he thought he ran great practice and that that meant a lot to him, because nobody in the NFL or in the pro you know, circles, had ever said that to him. So I think that just one little moment spoke to kind of what, you know, how he's wired and why why players play so hard for him, and that's really what separates him from so many other coaches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, money walking into that YouTube theater this morning, seeing the harboisms everywhere. It just felt like just something completely new and different and exciting for the Chargers organization and the fans. And there's so many moments throughout the press conference. I'm sure we can put our heads together and knock most of them out.
Speaker 1: There was just just.
Speaker 2: Funny, funny things, and I think things that get you hyped up. I especially thought that the Dean span Us, the owner Dean span Us, right from the beginning of explaining the process and why Jim Harbaugh is here today and how happy he is for Chargers fans and basically telling Jim, whatever you need, whatever resource that will require us to win, We're going to provide you. And you can tell that Jim has a personal connection with the Chargers. He mentioned all the stops that he's had and there's always been a personal connection. He referenced the Spanos. Obviously playing for the San Diego Chargers met a great deal to him, and it just seems like the stars aligned, and just throughout that hour press conference that you could feel his energy and he knows that he's in the right place for him to do what he ultimately wants to do, and that's bringing Lombardi to Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Look, the Chargers two most disappointing seasons in Los Angeles have produced superstars, you know, the one pretty justin Herbert with the sixth overall pick, and this five and twelve season produced you know, Jim Harbaugh, and you know a lot of times that's That's the thing about the NFL is sometimes you have to take your lunths, you have to fail in order to catch a break and turn things around. And I you know, I don't say I'm happy that Brandon Staley failed. You know, we would have all have liked to have had a successful season. The amount of money that the Spanos has spent, the amount of effort that the players put into it, oh much rather, you know, been talking about a playoff run and here we are, you know, maybe making a run at Super Bowl in Las Vegas. But the in terms of a long term solution you said it, it's like I've been I've been in this market doing radio since nineteen ninety four, and it's the most impressive press conference I've ever seen by a coach. There. There have been bigger you know, when when Shaq was was signed by Jerry, when Jerry West and Shack you know, took to the to the dais. That was pretty incredible because Jerry West is simply the greatest executive in the history of professional sports. And you know, Shaq was fun loving, you know, was the best player in basketball at the time, and I just remember how special that was. But for just a coach, you know, the Phil Jackson one was pretty impressive in ninety eight or in ninety nine, I believe it was the first time he was here. The second time was just marred with a lot of you know, you wrote this book and you trashed Kobe. There was a lot of that, and it just kind of gave it a little bit of an eg of tone. But I kind of set all that up with Jim Harba is a superstar. He is a coaching superstar. He is in the conversation. I know the championships don't number the same, But when Joe Tory was brought in by the Dodgers, when Phil Jackson was brought in by the Lakers, people didn't want Pete Carroll. It was panned as a higher When he was first high at USC, chip Kelly had already had incredible failures in Philadelphia and San Francisco. When he was brought to UCLA. So here is someone coming off a national championship who had wanted every stop, who, like you said, Chris has the ability to have these sayings, these harbiisms plastered all over the theater and carries weight and gravity when he walks into a room. And I thought it could not have gone any better. There was such a great balance of storytelling, of enthusiasm and inspiration, self deprecation, humility now you know, relatables, acknowledging his family and how important they've been through this whole process. There's just so much to it that really, I think almost anyone could connect with and feel really good about going forward, like, Wow, we're hitching our wagon to this, this is this is gonna be a fun ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the brand, right, He's the brand, and everybody's getting behind him. And it's not about just the quarterback or the star edge rusher or defensive player. It's about the team. And he stressed team, team, team, and you know, Buddy, I think one of my favorite parts was the beginning when him and Jim Hill were calling each other's legend for like six to ten seconds. It was hilarious, and that just kind of set the tone for what Jim Harball is going to provide to a city and a fan base. Like I swear, I felt like today was a game day, Like it was a one pm kickoff, but the kickoff was the Jim Harball press conference. Like fans were treating today like a game day, And I just I think it's so cool to see just kind of what this organization and what this fan base has has kind of morphed into and where this team is going under this head coach. Now, you know, there's a lot of answers that we didn't get today because there's staff and logistics and different things that are just going to have to sort themselves out over the next month. You know, you always kind of look for tells and things that you know, maybe you can kind of read between the lines. I'm like, how many players is he gonna mention on this current roster? Obviously? Justin he mentioned Derwin and Keenan. Last Sunday he mentioned him again. He mentioned Rashaun Slater. I think he said he met Trey Pipkins and his dad in the airport, which was cool, So like that those are the only players that I think that he mentioned. But he said he contacted everybody on the team or everybody that's probably expected to be on the team. So now here comes the staff questions. And Joe Rtiz, who I got to meet briefly, an awesome guy by all indications, and just the working relationship that he and Jim are going to have. Another one of my favorite sayings was just like, hey, during the off season, I'm Robin, Joe's batman, and then we're gonna flips what we talked about during the season. I'm gonna be batman, He's gonna be Robin. And it seems like that's how it's gonna be. Uh, and it seems like that marriage is gonna work really really well when you consider the type of players that Ortiz has scouted based on what the Ravens do. And Uh, it's just it's another piece to this puzzle. We'll hear more from Joe on Tuesday, but today was Jim's day.
Speaker 1: Look, there's I don't know how much you want to take away. It's the one thing I did appreciate is it did seem like it was a little more stream of consciousness. It wasn't. It definitely was produced. It wasn't. It wasn't I've got I've got my goals, and I've got my checklists, and you know it's it's look, it's the Tony Robbins school of motivational speaking that when you say someone's name back to them, they feel more important. And we see that regularly, and I find it to be a bit annoying and patronizing in the case it like it really sort of you know, it warmed your heart a little bit when he did it with Plashki and Jim, because they're the only two that deserve that. You know, they're the ones that have been here for forty years. And for someone who has spent his entire coaching career save with his alma mater, you're talking about the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Torrero's, Stanford Cardinals, San Francisco forty nine Ers and now Los Angeles Chargers. Played for the San Diego Chargers, Like he knows, like that's sincere, that's I And you know, you know how much he loves sports. You know you hear him talk about it, so you know, yes, he's watched Jim Hill on Channel two, He's been interviewed by Jay. He remembers those he's read Bill Plashki. He's been interviewed by Bill Plaski. He appreciates and I think you know they and that means a lot of those guys, because when you get to their age and you've been doing it this long to know that, you know, here's someone that just won the national championship. Tip his cap. It's cool, and it's it's it's and I think you know it kind of goes back to what I said a second ago. I'm trying to figure out what's what's the secret sauce? What is it? What? How? Why does it? You have to football players are tough? The idea when people are like, oh he's sawt No, you put that outfit on and you are tough because you are willing to subject yourself to a level of violence that ninety nine point nine percent of you know, humanity is not willing to do. We see what it looks like, it's a car crash after every game. We see how these guys are wrapped in ice and what theyir fingers look like. And you know, but somehow he gets them to play tougher, and it's how what is it? How does he do it? And I think you saw so much of that in the press conference today. I'm responsible. I need to be responsible for Justin Herbert. He's putting Derwin James is putting all this effort in. I owe it to him. I owe it to him because he's putting the work in to be the best coach I can be. And that's how it works. Now. It's like your parents, you know, like the worst you can get them yell at shit and you just roll your eyes. Yeah, here it comes again. But when they say, you know, I'm really disappointed in you, like that crushes you. It tears your guts out. And I think that's that's what he's able to do. Hey, we're in this together. I'm in it with you, we're the coaches, you know, Ben Herbert, We're all in this. Let's go get it together and not let each other down. And I think that's somehow he's able to tap into that better than almost anyone else and get every last drop of effort out of these guys. And that's that's why you get almost every player reaching out to you, and Quintin Johnston saying I'm gonna have a breakout year. I can't wait, coach, can't wait to get to work like that's it's not someone who's hiding because he had a bit of a struggle in his first year and is hoping, Hey, let's just forget about it and I'll show up at you know, any camp and we'll get going. No reaching out. Hey man, let's go, let's get to work. I'm gonna have a breakout year. Let's get this thing going. And that's it's hard, man. It's hard to do because these guys make a lot of money and it's a hell of a way to make a living and to get them to push a little bit harder. Man, it just says a lot about leader that you know, the leader that you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we said, it starts with him, but you and I have discussed how much beyond it's just Jim Harball, right Like Ben Herbert, this name that you mentioned, JJ Watt was on Pat McAfee talking about him as his strength coach at Wisconsin and just like how he's a game changer to have somebody like that. We're hearing the name Jesse mint Er as a defensive coordinator. Potentially, these are guys that are proven commodities, you know, at least at the college level, and you know you're only as good as your staff. I mean, when you look around the league and you see like, oh, that guy got a head coaching job, well, you know what, they had confidence in the guy, but they also had confidence in the staff that he's going to bring along with them. And I think that's one of the things that we're really going to see take shape here over the next couple of weeks is what is Jim Harball's staff going to look like? And how will that dictate who they acquire in free agency, who do they let go because of cap issues, and who do they draft and just the whole Joe Hortiz element to this. We can dig into more next week after we hear from him. But you know, that's that's the other part for me. Money is just all the resources like this brand new practice facility like these are all winning edges that this organization has now that goes beyond just Jim.
Speaker 1: Harball, no doubt. When you mentioned he joined us, he gave us about fifteen minutes on Petros and money today and I brought up we brought up Ben Herbert and the JJ Watt thing, and of course, because he's just you know, so good, how he started out by saying, oh yeah, that JJ came over to me and I got all excited. I was at the game and I was like, oh cool, JJ's gonna have a conversation with me. And all he said to me was, hey, coach, tell coach herb. I said, hey, guys, amazing. He's like, that's it. That's all I got from JJ. Really was humiliating and humbly. But then he said, the guy's incredible. He's like, he goes, I don't know how best I can put it into words, but if he if we walked out on the pier right now and there's shark infested waters, and he said, hey, I'm jumping in following me, I wouldn't hesitate. I jump in. He goes, there's something about that guy that that that people follow and they they they subscribe to his plan, and it's a hell of a plan. He said, I'd follow him to Helen back. So that's what you're getting in your strength and conditioning coach. You mentioned Minter, like you said, it's not official, but it sounds like that's what's going to happen. You know. He and he and Mike McDonald traded places and swap places and we're together here and you're here and I'm there, and and you saw what Mike McDonald did to that Chiefs offense in the second half, shut them out, shut them out. And that's the style of defense that that you're going to be playing. Got to have the players. When Baltimore's got the players. They got Roquan and Patrick Queen and Kyle Hamilton and you know, Mattabik and that whole crew. So they've they've got the horses, you know, whether or not. Like you said, there's going to be some staff and some player decisions that are going to have to be made. I don't know how that's going to look, but it's going to be an impressive staff. And like you said, it's the financial commitment. And you know, I think we brought this up on the pod, but you know, Ben Herbert's got a million dollar buyout, Jim Harbaugh's got a million and a half, and I think Jesse Mentor has eight hundred grand. It's gonna be three point three million dollars in a check written to Michigan just to take those guys. And you're talking about a quarter of a billion dollar facility. I don't know how much the shot back was that he had to pick up at home depot, maybe another eighty bucks. But I loved the name checked Fred. Cracks me up. That said, hey Fred, come on equipment. Yeah yeah, which is uh, which is great. And I think that's part of it. You know, that's part of why this was the job, Chris, is it's such a blank canvas. It's a brand new facility that he gets to build the weight room how he wants it, the training rooms, all that stuff. You know. It's like when you buy a model home and you get yeah, yeah, here's the here's the structure, but you get to pick out the tile, the cabinets, the floor, you know, all the flooring, the fixtures. That's like, that's what he gets to do. He's he's going to He's like, we got to get this stuff ordered. Man, we got to go get this equipment ordered. And I and that's the like you said there, you know when you talked about about Dean Spanos, you know, and how he got the things started. You know, there were two things when it comes to to Dean that you out. One is when when Jim Harbaugh said, you know, I told him I'm hungry, and he said, I'm starving to get a win. So that's one, you know, and what do you do when you starve? You overeat? You know, you end up buying, you know, two different combo meals hit McDonald's. Next thing. You know, you got two cheeseburgers and a big mac in your belly because you haven't eaten all day. Like when you're starving, it's like, what do you need? Let's go, let's just And then I loved the line that he used to get it started when you know, Dean pointed out, yeah, you know, we we got you know, it was snowing when I when I talked to you on the TOMMAC in Michigan, and it's it's you know, now we got a storm here. And he's like, now we're the storm. Like that's when you're like, okay, here we go, here we go. This is what we're talking about. So the idea of of we're not just hiring this guy, and you know, according to reports, he's the second highest paid head coach in the league, but you're hiring the guy that's bringing in the staff and all the other stuff that comes with it, and that number gets real big, real fast. If you want to commit to winning a Super Bowl and it sounds like every buddy is in with both feet.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, A big thank you to our partner, Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot com.
Speaker 2: His track record of turning programs around early it's evident everywhere he's gone. Now. Yeah, obviously no promise is made because you know year one may have to reset at some different positions. You still have the Kansas City Chiefs in the division. It's a loaded AFC. But just the direction that they're going to put this thing and how quickly they're going to set it into motion, I think that's what has fans so excited. Money And you know, I was talking to somebody before the press conference just about sports in Los Angeles and you you and I both worked for the Lakers around the same time. I've always said this to folks, especially when I was on the partnership side. It's it's always going to be the Lakers and the Dodgers in Los Angeles. It's just how it is. Uh, they have the equity of winning and the longevity here. But think about all the stars in this town. Shoho Tani now with the Dodgers, Lebron James. You know, Sean McVeigh is probably a top three head coach in the NFL, USC Caleb Williams coming off a Heisman Trophy, and Lincoln Riley trying to bring that that program back to prominence. You know, the U c l A and USC women's hoops teams. I mean, there's sports is at a premium in Los Angeles, but if you don't win, it doesn't matter very much. And the Chargers took just took the front page. You know, when you when you take Jim Harball, who just won a national championship, Everybody's gonna want to see this guy. Everybody's gonna want to hear what he has to say. So not only are you investing in a coach and a leader and a winner and somebody that you hope will bring you a Super Bowl, but he's going to keep you relevant three hundred and sixty five days a year by what he says, by how he goes about his job. I guarantee you the primetime schedule in twenty twenty four is going to reflect that. It's just a lot of things that go beyond just winning that Jim Harball provides to this organization.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, I'll I know I've brought it up before, but I'll use to. I'll use to to create the parallel one where the city where I was born and lived in until I was seventeen, I've been here for thirty three years now. So in Chicago, Bro, you look by the way, you look thirty three money, Okay, you look fifty. So I've been here thirty three years. I was in Chicago for seventeen growing up there, it's a Bear's town. Now. The Bears won the Super Bowl when I was ten, but it's a Bear's town. It is. That's the team that makes the town go behind the Bears. You know, back then it was kind of the Cubs, you know, they were the lovable losers, and then after that you'd get the Blackhawks, maybe a little bit of White Sox, and the Chicago Bulls were the dregs, the absolute dregs. My you know, we grew up. We didn't have a lot of money. My uncle Frank did, and he would flip us he had the season tickets for the Blackhawks for the Bear you know, he was the one rich kind of brother in the family, and he would flip my mom that the Bulls tickets because nobody wanted them. And so my brother and I would every now and then, maybe three times a year, two three times, get to go to the Chicago Stadium and watch Dave Corzine trip over his own feet, cocaine quintin daily, running around like a psycho, you know, get excited about Orlando. Nobody cared. I mean when I say nobody cared, nobody those places were empty. The highlight of the game was making a napkin boat by getting a napkin and twirling the corners and then dropping it off the balcony and watching it float down. And so that's how we could entertain ourselves. Then what happens, you know, Michael Jordan gets drafted in eighty four and the rest is history. Becomes the number two team in town, and for a while they're number one team in town, ahead of the Bears. The other one is the Patriots. They were moving to Saint Louis. They were moving to Saint Louis. Victor Caiam had them sold to a group that was headed up by Walter Payton. It's why he retired early, and he was taking that team to replace the Cardinals after they left for Arizona. In Saint Louis. It was done. That is how much of an afterthought that franchise was in a Red Sox Celtics town. They could not survive, but clausing the contract allowed Robert Kraft to match any deal and Bajollette Stadium. He did it. He hires, you know, Bill Parcells, gets the Drew Bledsoe thing going. After that, he brings in Bill Belichick goes next, and even then they were like, eh, still the Patriots, you know, but then you get Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are where do they fit? You know, where are they? And you talk to Boston sports fans, I can promise you if they're under the age of thirty five, they're probably number one. It can happen. I know it's a Laker and a Dodger Ton. I totally know that. And it sounds foolish to think the Chargers could possibly dig into that type of fan base. Generational fan bases with so many championships. But like, that's why it was such a like that's one of the things about the pressor that was so impressive is he knows, like he gets it. He's not saying he's going to get a Super He's like, in this town, you got to win more than one. Like, we have to win multiple Super Bowls. He knows, he gets it. One's not gonna do it. We know it. Look at the Rams, they won one and people stopped caring the next year. No, you need to win multiple. You need to build a juggernaut. You need to build the Patriots, you know, to be able to crack and into what is an almost impenetrable wall that is the Lakers and Dodgers. And I think he recognizes that. He feels like he's got the horse to do it with, and justin Herbert and the ownership to back him up with everything they're they're you know, with all the stuff that they're investing in right now, and I think he sees that. I would be very surprised. He played for the Bears, you know, in the nineties, right at the peak of the Bulls. He was there right as their ascension began. He was the Bears quarterback in nineteen ninety ninety one when they when they won that first one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually I'm almost done with the Wickersham book. It's better to be feared about just the Patriots dynasty. Yeah, and how you alluded to the fact that that team a almost got moved and when Kraft bought the team, you know he had he brought in Pete Carroll. He really won a Belichick. He took a flyer on Belichick, who you know was like almost like radioactive in coaching circles because of what happened in Cleveland. And then you know, they draft Tom Brady and the and the rest is history. You win three super Bowls. Off the top, you have what I still think is the greatest team in NFL history of the team that lost to the Giants in Super Bowl forty two. I mean, but the fact that it can change with a coach and a quarterback, and that leads me to the quarterback who he called the crown Jewel, and I think the relationship that they have money. The biggest winner today was Justin Herbert. You know the fact that this guy is gonna be his head coach and Justin is not gonna have that pressure to just be the guy for everybody in this organization. It's gonna be that's gonna be on Jim Harbaugh's shoulders, and he wants it on his shoulders. What what Justin and Jim Harbaugh can do together and how he can protect Justin Herbert. He talked about a physical offensive line, protecting the quarterback, having a solid running game. I mean, these are things that we have not been used to seeing around the charges of the last few years. How they shape this offense, how they pack a running game, and how they i think develop a physical, tough offensive line. We're gonna probably see that take shape during free agency, obviously, the draft, and just further developing the guys on this roster.
Speaker 1: Man to yeah, to me, there's there's a few hints in there right for the upcoming draft and how you're gonna build this team. You know, He pointed out that it's the only position that everybody else is dependent on the offensive line. The offensive line can't protect your quarterback. Quarterback can't operate, running backs can't find holes to run through. Wide receivers aren't going to get into their routes and be able to you know, have a pass thrown their way. That's how the offensive line is that important. They make the entire thing go. And then he pointed out, and defense can't score, he can't win. So it's it's a lot of stuff that we alluded to, like, yeah, there's going to be some impressive wide receivers sitting there at five and brock Bowers is there, and you know, look, they may go that direction, but it wouldn't to me, like it's wouldn't surprise me if it's a tackle because that offensive line, like it's where he said, it's where it starts. We've got it. We got to protect that guy because he touches the ball every single play. He has got to be protected. Priority number one. Protect that guy. Run the ball, to protect wide receivers blocked so the running back can run the ball, so play action works and he's protected. Offensive line has got to protect him. So there's that and and defense, like I said, hey, what he say. He said, it's not offense defense, special teams, it's defense. That's what this is defense. And I think that to me that set the tone of yeah, there's some shiny toys there. There's brock Bauers, and there's roma Dunza, and there's Malik Neighbors. But if you can't protect that guy, you know, with Joe Alt or one of these other tackles, then it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter, doesn't matter who the back is, who the wide receiver is, because he's not quarterbacks not protected. So that's where it all starts. And I think that was and look, that's that's how he won at Michigan, right, you know, by having the best offensive line in the nation, by having the best defense and then nation, and by wearing you down and winning games on toughness and watching attrition take hold of your opponent while you're able to thrive. It's it's excited. It's not. It's it's not Lincoln Riley, spread them out, throw it all over the place, score sixty points a game. It's not Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVeigh. It's much different, much different. It is. It's submission, attrition, physicality. It's a it's I think that's and I think it's exciting that that he's gonna you know that that he sees justin and that's what his first thought is. It's not oh Wow, this dude's got an incredible arm. And we got Keenan Allen and all these toys and Quinton and I'm gonna go get a receiver at five and he's gonna throw. No guy needs to be protected. We got to protect that guy. And that's his first thought. And I think that sort of speaks to how he intends to play football.
Speaker 2: And having having the fifth overall pick, the possibilities are limitless in terms of trading back. You're hearing all the You're hearing all these teams that want to move up to get a quarterback. Right now, If if something happens where Marvin Harrison and you know, a Donsa or another player gets picked before five and there's a quarterback sitting there at five for a team, who's to say that this team doesn't trade back. Get that offensive lineman, get that tight end, you know, and then you know, just the player development aspect of this money with the guys that are currently on the roster, like here in Quintin Johnson, I kind of re energize going into his second year thinking he can have a breakout year under Jim Harball. I mean, those are the things that you want to see the guys who were drafted last year that you know, who knows if they were drafted for a specific type of defense or a specific type of offense that they that they were running under Brandon Staley can Jim Harball and Ben Herbert and whoever the DC or the o C is for this team can and they squeeze every bit of potential out of the guys that are currently on this roster. I think that that's something that you've seen throughout Jim Harball's coaching career. It's just getting the most out of the players on that roster. So, going beyond free agency in the draft, the players that are under contract here, the guys who were maybe undrafted free agents or late round picks over the last couple of years, can they develop into something that Jim Harball could be proud of on either side of the football. And I think the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: You know, he's done it. He's done it at Michigan. He did it at Stanford. You know, he put guys in the NFL at Stanford, you know, and he's putting a lot of guys into the NFL at Michigan. And look, it's Michigan. It's a blue blood. But that's why we've talked about Stanford so much. It's just one of the most incredible coaching jobs that you'll ever see because of the type of institution it is, the grades you have to have to get in there, the style of football they got those kids to play, who you know, aren't I'm just trying to survive and change the fortune of my family that that's you know, had generation after generation of you know, no education, and we've been stuck in this particular lot in life. And this is our opportunity and my opportunity to pull on. It's not a lot of those kids. It's four point five students that are getting engineered Andrew Luck getting an architecture degree and going out there and getting his head caved in on Saturdays and being willing to submit to that like that's what he created there. So like that's it's the developmental process and creating JJ, you know, and helping to develop JJ mccarthyen to a first round pick, Like it's that that's and I think that's what you're speaking to, right that just because you may have some preconceived notions about what these players are because of the last two or three years that they've been on this roster, that does not mean that a new coaching staff can't help, you know, turn players that had grades that saw them get drafted in the third round, and if the Chargers didn't take them, another team probably would. So much football is the ultimate circumstance sport that so much of your success is predicated on circumstance. What if Tom Brady wasn't drafted by the Patriots? What if he was drafted in the sixth round by another team that had no interest in giving him a right to an open competition and a chance to show that even though I got this sixth round grade and I'm not a very impressive, you know athlete, I'm still going to be the best quarterback in the history. Like it's circumstance. It's the fact that the Chargers were in the playoffs with a ten win team last year, had a twenty seven to zhing lead on the Jaguars blew it that led to a coach getting fired after an unthinkable sixty three point output by a Raiders offense that had scored zero the week before led to a firing, And now we're sitting here talking about Jim Harball, Like it's just it's such a weird sport that way that that that so much hinges on the right people being connected at the right time, and this just feels different. It feels it feels like it's all lined up. And what that means for Tuley and day On and who knows, maybe maybe Kenneth Murray even though they pick up his fifth year option and coach, you know, if it's jesse Minner saying, oh no, we can work with that, you know, and and maybe j T. Woods, you know, A Lowe's a free agent. Maybe there's something there. Guy had six interceptions in a season. Let's figure it out. But you know, there's there's a lot to the look he said it right, He's like, we got a lot of work to do. We're going to be busy, and it's you know, starts with the staff and don't know what it's going to look like on the offensive side. Looks like defense is Jesse Minner, we know what strength and conditioning is, not sure about special teams. But that's you know, that's what's going to get sorted out here in the next week or two and and then next and you know, we'll be out at the combine the end of February getting excited about all those players as we get closer to the to the draft, and you know, and then you blink your eyes and it's it's April and we're in the draft.
Speaker 2: That's the thing, man, You know, Charges weekly, we do this every Thursday all year round. We're always engaged, but but this this part of the season just it means that much more for for the fans of the Chargers too, that you know, the combine when you have a top five pick, a brand new coach, and a brand new GM man, the combine is fun. Like it's the possibilities and the talk about the team and what they're gonna do with free agency and the possibilities at five or early in the second round. I mean, we're gonna be talking about so many things over the next couple of weeks, this staff coming together, some of the decisions that they're going to have to make from a cap perspective, you know, looking at the free agents after the franchise, get all hashed out, like who's a good fit for this defense, the offensive line. I mean, it's gonna make this off season so much fun, man, I know that. You know, Jim went an hour today and he had like so many fun little you know, anecdotes and stuff about his brother. He was talking about his daughter has a mantra. The whole Harball family has a matra.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It was just it was fun to listen to him. Is there anything else you want to touch on before we say? You know, we've done two pods this week. I think next week will be a big one in terms of just seeing the staff and really kind of digging in to what the identity is going to be offensively and defensively and kind of the history of some of the guys who are going to be on their staff.
Speaker 1: Well, here's all I'll do because we don't. We don't because typically I'm wrong about everything. Just to me the presser, Chris, I just feel like it it's sort of validated everything we've been talking about for the last month. You know, who are the Jim Harbaugh players there? The ones he mentioned, Rashaan Slater, Derwin James, Justin Herbert, Like it was so obvious. It's like that, you know, we talked about everybody's saying, oh, they're just gonna you know, Jim Harbaugh is gonna take control of everything and it's gonna end badly like Belichick. We said, no, it's probably gonna be Joe in the off season and Jim in the in the regular season. What do you say today, He'll be Batman, I'll be rob. I mean, it's there's that like we talked about, Yeah, enough with the conversation about the Spinals is not spending money and what did he say? He's like, yeah, they're they're in that. You don't you know, you don't. You don't hire Jim Harbaugh and then go cheap. It's not the way it works. You know, guy's gonna make reportedly sixteen million bucks a year and they're gonna spend a fortune on his staff and on whatever he needs. So it's kind of like all the all the things, all the shots that were taken just getting swatted away one after another. You know that That that's sort of the feeling that I got at that presser today. There's Look, there are there are older coaches that are taking on the job retirement, that are resting on their laurels, and they'll take that check and they don't care. They don't care if it negatively affects their record. It's like whatever, I'm making a ton of money and I'm going to get these last couple checks here because it's generational wealth. That is not Jim Harbaugh. This dude loves coaching football and he is the most competitive coach in the NFL. And now that he is back, and I just, you know, I think I think you felt that, you know it, Like you said, his daughter has the work together, win together. Like it's just in there.
Speaker 2: We got to put that on a shirt. Let's get that on a shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like he said, He's like, how lucky am I that I was born into this family. He's like, that's just luck that I'm a Harbaugh and I get and I get all of this, you know, And that's it. That's what that family is. Jack and Jackie, John and Jim and my god, I mean even their brother in law Tom Crean's a psycho competitor, you know, Like that's just what they are. And so we're the beneficiaries now, you know. Now we get to be the lucky ones. And look, is it going to result in multiple Super Bowls? I hope. So it's not easy. His brother John can tell you that been the most maybe consistent winner in the AFC for the last twenty years, and they got one Super Bowl appearance and win to show for it. Yeah, it is not easy. You know, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs maybe lead you to believe that it is. It's not. What they're doing is incredible and really as great as Tom Brady and the Patriots were. This six year run has been insane that they are on and part of me is happy that they're back there instead of the Ravens, so Jim Harbaugh can end it, so it can be the Chargers in Harball that puts an end to it. So that's it. That's all.
Speaker 2: The foundation has now been laid, and I just think it's going to be a program that the entire fan base can get behind, win, losing, different tough times. You know, adversity is going to strike every team every year. There's going to be stuff. You know, we live in this prisoner of the moment twenty for our news cycle where it's like, man, you're only as good as your last win or your last week. But just to see everything that has been kind of poured into this and how hungry ownership of the fan base and I think the players too now like to have a guy buddy. There's just last thing for me is like there's just something to be said about a guy who played quarterback in the NFL, who has been through what the players go through on a on a weekly basis, on a daily basis, getting your body prepared to play the next week when you're leader. Has done that at a level that most people can only dream of being at. I mean, you got a guy that you can get behind, that you can you know, work hard for, and and it just goes beyond yourself. And again, like you said, it could be not motivational, sappy stuff. When he says all these things like man, you better believe that he believes it. Like he had one phrase too, He's like when people say have a nice day, I don't like that. No, make it a great day, make it right.
Speaker 1: I don't not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to leave the chance. I don't want to leave you. And you better believe. He says this to his team every single day, and he makes sure that the eye on the prize is the team. And and that's what I think just has given fans goosebumps like the last month thinking that this could be a possibility. And I'm just happy for all of our listeners of viewers watching this that they can go to bed tonight and feel good about their foototball team and just a fun off season ahead.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, it's perfectly put and I don't have much to add. I would just I would just say this, and I think it's kind of going back to what I said about the Ravens and how hard it is to win a championship in this league. But the one thing that I feel has been very frustrating for the fan base these last few years is I'm trying to think the best way to put this without you know, taking a shot. I'm not trying to do that, but you are, you know, very very common in coaching circles. You know, what is preached is the result is the result. You can't control that. Weird things happen. Don't get hung up on the result, get hung up on the process. You know, put yourself in a position to win the contest, whether that's a sporting contest or the game of life. But whatever it is that you are putting and pouring yourself into, respect and honor the process and give it everything you've got and then whatever the result may be, so be it. That's okay. Wins lost. You know what, we were in it, and we did everything we could to win that game. I feel like the last couple of years, that's not how the fans felt. I think you you would walk out of some of those games saying, how are how are we not ready for that? How did they let that team do that to them? How did you come out of halftime? And that's what you had? Like, I felt like there was too much of that that maybe that that that what that almost and not that you're cheating the system or that you think somehow, oh I stole the answer key and that's how we're going to win this. That that that hard work wasn't you know, Like I said, I don't mean to take I just feel like that's that was sort of that that level of frustration that came along with so many of those losses, the way games were lost, You felt like, ah, how did how did that happen? How did we not see that coming? And it was just repeatedly. DJ had the best line. He's like, this team gets hit by the right hand more than any in all of football. How do they keep getting How do they know the right hand's coming and they still get hit by it? And I think that's that's never gonna happen again. I can tell you that right now, not what this guy as head coach, It'll be a team that is ready for every contest, that fights their ass off in every contest, and the results, They're not gonna win every game. They may not win more games than they lose next year, depending on how they decide to approach this upcoming season with with you know, with players and salaries. But you know that when they take the field, it's gonna be a it's gonna be a rock fight, and the other team is not gonna want to take by. They're going to loathe that they're about to take part in the next sixty minutes. And I think that's something you can get excited about and be proud to say, I'm a fan of this team and I'm excited about what's going to happen here today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said man. We'll end it there, time to clock out for the night. We'll be back next week. I'm sure a ton to talk about. Joe Hortez's press conferences on Tuesday will dissect that, and I'm sure by this time next week money we'll know a lot more about maybe some of the staff and some of the other things going on around the league. That may affect the team, no doubt. Al Right, guys for money, I'm Chris. This has been charges weekly. Have a great night.