Speaker 1: Hello, this is Let's talk about miss Baby and I am your host, Live back with another conversation episode. Today, I had on returning guest Meghan Cleveland, who is just so flip and lovely and loves Thebes as much as I do, and I mean, what more could I ask for? Megan came on to talk about not only Thebes, but also that cursed family of Oedipus and his you know, sibling children. Megan has written a YA retelling about is Mani, the daughter of Oedipus, and so I was thrilled to have her back on the show to talk all about that, because I love Thebes, but I also love the idea of YA Greek myth retellings, because I mean, there's so many retellings now and they're all lovely, but I feel like there's not a lot of YA. And maybe it's that I'm not paying as much attention to YA, but maybe it's just because there's a lack And if the story of a girl who finds out that her father is actually her brother and her mother is actually her grandmother also they're both you know, if that isn't fit for a YA novel, I don't know what is This episode also features probably some of the hardest I've ever laughed into the microphone for similar reasons to the whole Oedipus of it all. I'm gonna let you wait not so patiently for that moment. It was such a joy talking to Meghan and hearing all about this book. And yeah, I hope you all sit back and enjoy this love letter to Thebes in the form of a conversation about a novel. Conversations novelizing the best ancient city state riddles of the Sphinx with Meghan Cleveland. I would love to hear about your book and Thebes. And like, I know, I'm only saying Thebes. I recognize it's about specific people in Thebes, but you know me, I just fucking love Thebes. So yeah, I know. So I just want to hear everything. But yeah, tell me about your you know whatever you want to share about your characters and your novel.
Speaker 2: And sure, So I wrote a little introduction just to remind people who I am, because it's been a while since they heard from me. So my name's Meg and Cleveland. I have a BA in Classical Studies in Classical Languages from the University of Guelph and an MA in classics from the University of Western Ontario, and since graduating, I decided to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming an author using my knowledge of classical history, literature, and archaeology to adapt classical myths for young adults. And I'm so happy to talk to you about my upcoming self published book on the podcast. Literally, I was rewriting this book I don't know, two or three years ago and listening to your podcasts and thinking wouldn't be so great if I could talk to Lev And here we are, So yeah, this is like such a good moment.
Speaker 1: So I love it because too, I mean, I know there's some ya. Well, there's definitely a lot, but like, I feel like a lot of them are adult and and like there's also this habit of like calling adult books that are written primarily for women calling them ya. So I also love to have one that is like, no, no, this is ya, like because there should be ya too, And also we should not call all books written for women ya. It's a great distinction.
Speaker 2: I've always loved YA and I think a lot of Greek myths really lend themselves well to that sort of genre. Because it's a lot about self discovery and finding out who you are and like family secrets. So I think it really works out for young people.
Speaker 1: Speaking of family secrets though, like I also think you have like the best characters for ya, but also family secrets.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, So I'll just give a little description of the book before I start ranting about it.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 2: So in Riddles of the Sphinx, is Mena, the daughter of the legendary Oedipus, refuses to be a background character in the tragedy of her family. Is Mini makes a wager with Apollo, the god who cursed her family, agreeing to go into his service if she cannot stop the war between her brothers. Is meeting must travel all across ancient Greece to learn the source of her family curse and try to break it before war severs her family forever. But in a family at war with itself, is she destined to be the only survivor.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, mythologically, we got some Pathetically, Oh, I love that. I mean, like just all all the family Cynthia's obviously are my favorite, but like, I just love the story of like the line of Edipus so much. I feel like there is. It's so interesting because our primary, you know, sort of the most famous source is like Sophocles, right, but like we don't know what he was changing from the myths that he was working off of, because we don't really have what came before him, which I'm just kind of obsessed with when it comes to this myth because it was huge, it was so important, and yet like all we have is this play, which, as people know, it's just like movies adapting history, Like we don't know what they changed. Like there's a Napoleon movie out right now, and I bet you it's bonkers. So like, yeah, like Sophocle, it's gould be wild. Like so, I mean this is me Like I also, you know, focus on the myths obviously, but I'm so curious kind of how you wanted to work with that, you know, given the sourcing, and like what you wanted your characters to be like in their story and like, yeah, like what were your goals and thoughts and schemes? And I don't how to form questions. Well, I just answered like end up finishing them in the most bizarre ways.
Speaker 2: That is the perfect question though, because it has been such a journey to get from where I started to where it is now. I first started writing the book in twenty seventeen for Daniel Raimo and I. I went on a trip in June and I read the Song of Achilles and that was just like life defarning moment for not just because the writing's so beautiful, but I looked at Madeline's bio and I was like, this could be me. I could be doing this. Why aren't I doing this? So then I thought I could write a Greek myth retelling myself. So I sat down and thought about it. And during undergrad and grad school, one of the myths that you keep reading over and over and over is Edith is the King and Antaty, so like, I know those back to front, so I thought, okay, I can work with those. So I started the process of writing by just rereading those plays. And I also re read Statious as the Buy It, which I talked about in our last episode here, which I read in grad school, and I read the translations and like parts in the original Greek and Latin just to like get a vibe for it. And this is kind of funny, but when I started out, I was going to write the book from Antigony's point of view, But I don't actually like Antigony very much. Same she's kind of a bitch, but you know, she's.
Speaker 1: Just like so overrated, Like I don't like to say that about a woman, but I think that Antigony is the perfect example of that, like because I think I think that Antigony is kind of like she gives me like kind of like Athena vibes, Like I feel like she is become so big because she fits into the patriarchy in a way that makes men comfortable, and so she became this like big woman of myth. But like, yeah, I mean comparative comparatively to like everybody else, she's a lot less interesting, Like I love working with the other sister, the forgotten Sister.
Speaker 2: That's such a good point you just made, because it is a woman, the perfect woman, written by a man. So that's why we don't like her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's her thing.
Speaker 2: So then I thought, Okay, Antigny has her own play it Chieflys and Paul and Icys have their own thing. But what about Ismeni. She just kind of gets mentioned she doesn't have her own stories, So I thought, what's her story? So the first round of writing that I did. I was really like focused on trying to make it as historically accurate as possible, which now I think what a stupid idea that was. But I really wanted to capture this Bronze Age grease and have all these like archaeological details and like try to make it as true to the history as I knew it. But like, we know that in Greek history they placed a lot of limits on the rights and movements of women. So a lot a lot of my feedback was she's the main character, but she's not very active, or she's not doesn't really have any agencies. So I thought, okay, well this is true of Greece at the time. But they were right. And one of the ways I tried to get around that was by having her be a seer, so she could see the events unfolding as they happened through her dreams, but not actually be participating in them. And this is going to come up again later, so we're going to remember is me as a seer.
Speaker 3: And so I wrote that book, tried to make it as historically accurate as they could, sent it out to people to read.
Speaker 2: They send me their feedback, I fixed it, sent it out to agents, got rejected, and then I took a writing class workshopped it, and then I got to go to this writing festival called the Fold Festival of Literary Diversity in brant.
Speaker 1: I know people well, I used to know people who started that. I think like I was when I was working in book publishing. I remember that starting up. That's so exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really really great festival, especially for like marginalized writers. You can go and talk to people in the industry. And I got to speak to a literary agent there and she told me the problem with the book, which my friends had been too nice to tell me. The problem was, she said, it's so.
Speaker 3: In a way that made perfect sense to my neurodiversent brain, where she said, you're I get what you're trying to do. You're trying to write a Greek myth, but what you want to do is write in response to it.
Speaker 2: And I love that. Yeah, you're right, that's what I want to do. So from that point I scrapped the seventy five thousand words that I already wrote and wrote it from the beginning. And this time I was like, screw historically accurate, Like if my audience is young adults. They're not going to know all this. It's not my colleagues from grad school and my professor's writing this. This is going to be teenagers and they want to read something fun. So when I started out, I thought what got me into classics in the first place, and that, like a lot of people, was Disney's Hercules. It's just such a fun, colorful, magical, funny movie. And that's what draws a lot of people to Greek mythology, is just like the magic and the monsters and the gods in their relationships to humans. So that's what I wanted to focus on. And one part of the first draft of the book was it started out with all of Edipus's children when they're very young and when the plague first falls on thieves. So they watch Edipus try to figure out who the murderer of Lias is and they play a game where they try to figure it out. And people really liked that, and the agent even did and she said, but it would have been cool if you kept that for the whole book, And I thought, Okay, that's what I'm gonna do. So in this version, the finished version is Mini doesn't know what happened to her parents. She thinks they're both dead and she doesn't know everything that happened. So she goes on this journey to uncover the truth about her family and the curse on her line and how that's attributing to the generational violence with her brothers. So I really took I really am copy pasted of that paper I wrote for grad school, but made it a noveful of cursed families in Greece and how when she travels throughout Grace she gets hints about her own family curse along the way.
Speaker 1: So does that mean you we sorry? Now I'm in my favorite cursed family mode? Do you talk about like the never even know which one to call it because they're so cursed? But you know the theists family.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's so there's scene with Thiistes and I took a lot of inspiration from Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know the.
Speaker 4: Part in the Two Towers where they go to Rohan and I Fadeen is kind of being hidden behind Grema worm time. It's kind of like that moment thisdes is on his little throne and he's like, why are you here?
Speaker 2: Tyyer Lucius. So it's I took some inspiration, so I'm Tolkien for that.
Speaker 1: I'm loving that. I can absolutely see Fayd in Biasdes like there's yeah, there's like there's something there.
Speaker 2: I will give you a hint, but I'll try to make it as vague as possible. For people who end up reading the book before, I had them come to mycene after the event. So the certain feast, but I decided it would be more emotional if it had that they were there at the feast, so it gets a bit. My sister read it and went, this is gross. It's awesome, so hopefully people like it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that. I love that. Yeah, it's I love. One of my favorite things about retellings and when people do this is and what I'm trying to do with my own is like incorporating lots of little mythological references throughout, like whether they are long and detailed or they are just little bits and pieces, because like there's so much and they're so interconnected, and like how fun to have things that you know can be obvious, like the feast of Thiastes, which Seneca's Thiastes might be my favorite thing in the world now, but like you know or or like little tiny little easter eggs where somebody's like, hey, that name is interesting, or that like vague reference is interesting, Like why don't I look it up? And then they learned this whole new myth like especially excuse me, especially for ya, Like that's so great. It's such a great introduction for people to find other other books as well, you know, or other mythology, and like I love that, So like was I want to make sure I let you talk about all of the things you want to talk about, But like, were there did you do a lot of that? Did you, you know, seek to kind of like include a lot of little myths or were You're more focused on the larger story?
Speaker 2: So uh, the first version of the book, I had a lot of little myths where they tell each other stories because there was a subplot of her weaving this this tapestry of all the stories her brother told her before he turned kind of evil. But in this she doesn't really know things. She kind of uncovers them along the way and she actually has to meet the people. So on her journey, the first place she goes to is Argos, so she gets to meet a Drastis who's the king of Argus at the time, and that's where her brother Paul and I sees is. He doesn't recognize her because she's doing a mulan and is stressed as a boy at the time. But she she learns about Tantalus while she's there, because Tantalus is the famous ancestor of Adrassis, and he makes a really big deal out of it, and she's like, why, he's a terrible guy. You don't want to be associated with him. So she she learns along the way about problems between fathers and sons and brothers, and oh, how is this supply to my own family? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that because that's the thing about mythology or Greek mythology, like it is so cyclical, and also like it mirrors so many other different things, like yeah, like these these family curses and then the fathers and relationships. But I love that you had that reference to Tantalus because one of my favorite things about reading about that family, which is just my favorite curse in the world, is that no matter how horrifying like the next bit is in that curse line, they're always like, we are the children of Tantalus. Did he try to eat his son. Sure, are we still proud to be the children of Tantalus? Like hell yeah. And then it's like Egamanna Medelais are like we are the sons of Atreus, And it's like did Atreus kill his nephews and feed them to his brother? Sure, they're the proud sons of Atreus? Like I just love that. It's like we will learn no lessons. We will always honor our fathers, no matter what they did. Like it just yeah, it feels so legit.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. There's a part in Statius is the Biad, which is partially based on where Paul and Icy's actually has some self awareness and he doesn't want to tell people who his father is because he's he's embarrassed. He doesn't want to be associated with that stigmas.
Speaker 1: So Oedipus is the one. Yeah, there, it's kinds but like you think, like we think about it now, and you're like, which one's worse? Like I don't think that that that Oedipus's situation is inherently worse, but I love that. Yeah, Like in the ancient world, it was like, no, we were not proud to be the children of Oedipus but like Atreus Diastes or like Atreus or Tantalus, like that's totally fine. Like I love that there was this line of like, well, but he married his mom, like you sacrificed babies and fed them to his son, like which is worse? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a part of it also is like Atreus and Thiistes were very aware of what they were doing to each other, so that and Edips he didn't know about his own parentage, so it's kind of a different situation for him. So yeah, it's it's a bit interesting that he kind of has more guilt because he didn't kind of talk himself out of what he was going to do like Atreus, I know.
Speaker 1: And it's it's just interesting because it's like, to us, that would make him so much less guilty. He had no idea he was marrying his mother. But meanwhile, it's like, no, that's the embarrassment, not these guys that did horrible things vary on purpose. Oh, it's just that's so it's so interesting. Sorry, Like I'm like, this is what happens with these ones, is that I just go to the mythology and I'm like, oh my god, but you just pointed out something interesting about all these randomness that is not necessarily the purpose of your novel.
Speaker 2: But no, no, no, I think it's important. Like a lot of those myths have in common is with cannibalism.
Speaker 1: In these myths mythology to just be you can just so cleanly be like with cannibalism.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, yeah, that's perfectly normal topic. But it's it's kind of symbolically this is similar situation to edipis. It's like the image of the oraboris a snake eatingot's tail. If you eat your children, they're going back to where they came from, and you're you're ending your own line. So that's what's with your mom.
Speaker 1: I guess the same kind of it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: You're going back to where you came from. Literally, oh God, God, thank you.
Speaker 1: That might be one of my all time favorite podcast moments.
Speaker 5: Where you came from.
Speaker 2: That's what Frud says. But whatever you're.
Speaker 1: You're not wrong, You are not wrong. H So okay, that's I mean that the literal perfect transition because like you're you're writing this ya book about this girl, and like you know, I know you probably want to watch with too many spoilers, But like you're writing this ya book about a girl discovering her family, but the end discovery is that like her dad is also her brother and her mom is also her grandmother. Like like, how did you want to navigate that? Like how much did you want to kind of you know, make it for a younger audience or like you know what, like what was your thought process there? Because it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It is a lot. For a long time, I was like should I just gloss over the incest? I do mention it, like you have to because it's a very famous story. But she's not so much focused on the incests as much as her family, like the curse of her dad committing patricide and how that kind of stain his relationships with his son, and then her brothers are going to go on to commit fractress side. So she sees, especially through all of these other cursed families, how all these conflicts between fathers and sons and brother and brother how could lead to violence And she kind of wants to take those lessons and change what happens. But yeah, it was it was really hard to try to like talk about incests in in a ya book, which is probably why all these agents are like, oh no, thanks.
Speaker 1: But I do like my least favorite thing about Greek mythology retellings is when and when people just feel the need to like pretend that that the myth is like much more sanitized than it was, you know, like the truth the myth is there. But I also think it's really also realistic to have as many be more focused on the patra side, because like, you know, for all, it's horrible. Like I mean, my favorite theory on on Oedipus and Dracasta collectively is that is that the tragedy isn't so much the like the actual marriage and incest. The tragedy is that they didn't know and that like in my head, they were really happy family, yeah, and then this shit came out. And so I like that because I like to think that that a daughter wouldn't you know, and it' stop me if this changes then you don't want me to say it. But like I like the idea that the daughter, if she found that out, wouldn't immediately like find her parents disgusting, you know, like it's just like that shit happened, and like, yeah, I don't think it has to color, you know, your relationship with your parents despite it being kind of wild to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I tried to explore that more in the first version, but in this I'm like, you know what, there's a war going on to tell each other tomorrow. So she's like, Okay, I got to focus on the more important part, which is breaking the curse. Let's not think about my mom and dad or brother or whatever he is. Let's just keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's reasonable. Do that's that's practical. If you've got your brother's friend right outside your window and it's just.
Speaker 2: A lot of it's just not fair. I think that's what she kind of thinks is like her current generations being punished for what her father did, her father's being punished for what his father did. So there's just these cycles of violence and when does it stop. So that's what she's trying to achieve, is trying to change that course of faith from happening, because we don't want to keep reliving all these cycles of violence just because they happen before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and if you know, there's really good examples of the family, you know, like Cistes, like it just goes on and on and on. Like, I just yesterday had the last episode in my series on IPHG and I among the Toorians, which is like, you know, some of the final blows of that family and their curse and like just the absurd things that keep happening, because yeah, no one's trying to break it. So I love the idea of being like, if I don't stop this, like it will just go on forever, and so you know, do what I can kind of thing.
Speaker 2: There's a part in the book where she's at the feast and Atrius is kind of bustling around and he's all excited to have the feast get ready we know why, but she doesn't. And she's kind of taking this as like, oh, this is great. Look at these brothers reconcile. Maybe I can learn from them and help reconcile my own brothers. So when she finds out what Atrius had done, she's so angry, and she has this conversation with Apollo about it because she's like, they had the chance to just to end this feud, but it's just going to keep going. Is this what it's going to happen to my family? So yeah, of course the gods they can't tell you what to do you have to figure out yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they wouldn't anyway. But no, Dick, so great. Speaking of the gods, did you I mean with this family, it's you know, it's not really necessary, but did you include like that aspect of mythology that's more like a direct kind of connection with the divine or the you know, what did you want to do with the gods?
Speaker 2: Right? So okay, here's where it gets a little interesting. So in my first version, I had decided that is meaning should be a seer because of plot reasons, and I started out with her. She hears Apolo's voice in her mind, but she doesn't know it's Apollo. It's just this voice telling her what to do, and she's like, just leave me alone. So he makes her leave the women's quarters, which she's never done before because in this version of Thebes, she's told by her nurse and her brothers that the plague is still ongoing and it's not safe to go outside. So this voice leads her outside and she realizes that it is safe and what else are they lying to me about? And she soon realizes that the voice is Apollo and that he'll give her more answers if she goes to Delphi to meet him, and it just so happens that the Thebans are going to go to Delphi for the Pithean Games, So this is where she gets the idea to do a mulan enjoining the delegation as a boy to watch her cousins her brothers participate. And I didn't explicitly say, but we didn't. We know that the Greek athletes were naked, so you could be in your head, cannon, they could.
Speaker 1: Be perfect me today where it's just like all adaptations, You're like, there's not.
Speaker 2: Enough tats, I see, not enough texts.
Speaker 1: This is not real acient Greece.
Speaker 2: So so while she's there, she meets the oracle at Delphi, and a lot of people who study Greek myth no oracle Delphi is the most famous oracle in ancient Greece, but it's not the only one. Some of the others like that we know of are the oracle at Dodona for Zoos. But it turns out in my second round of writing, I decided to do a deep dive into all the history of thieves. Even though I wasn't trying to stay as historically accurate, I wanted that image of what thieves was like in my head. And I discovered that there.
Speaker 3: Was an oracle in theeves to the god Apollo is Menius.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there was an oracle because I know of like there's a temple to Apollo's menace because of the like stream that ran by me called that.
Speaker 2: But there was a whole oracle dedicated by the stream, and I kind of explained it in the book the stream is Menius is named for a son of Apollo. He had a son with an emph there. There's actually a poem about it by Pinder, and Pinder tells us a lot about the oracle at Apollo as Medus as well, because he was a proud theban. But they this oracle was famous for telling the future through pyromancy, so they would look into the fire. She just like, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: So I reread Sophocles and there's all these little like hints that I had not noticed because I didn't know this before. So when Tyresius goes to give his prophecies, he doesn't just deliver them. He looks into the fire, even though he doesn't have eyes, he looks into the fire because that's that association with the city, right, And there's a beautiful line from the Robert Fagels translation where he says where the embers glow and die and Apollo sees the future and the ashes, And I was like, okay.
Speaker 2: This is important. So I kind of wanted as meaning as a seer being a precursor to this oracle being set up, which isn't really historical. Fine, I'm just I'm just throwing it out there for.
Speaker 1: Fine, but that okay, But that is some many things happening here in my head. One for all that, I think everyone you know who wants to should write mythological retellings. I absolutely love talking to classicists who have written the mythological retellings because I think that there is a deeper level of nerdery afoot. Like talking to you is like being in my brain when I've been working on my current novel, you know, of just oh my god, I found this super cool, ridiculously niche, like absurdly niche historical fact and I get to write it in and will anybody really know what I've done? Probably not, but I'll know, you know, Like I love that, Like there is definitely a different level with with like just the depth of like ancient source nerdery and nerdery is an official word, I will say. But also, like, where was the other thought? I think it was mostly that, like I love that, Like that's so interesting. Oh, but that's what was the other thought is that you like, that's the grain thing about novels is that you can take this historical thing and you can write it into yours and like make it what you want. So you're like, you're blending this like really accurate, niche historical detail with your own story in this really unique and creative way. You're gonna be excited for my own novel. Thank you. I'm already taking notes.
Speaker 2: That's so great, And I was. I was even more excited because Sophocles himself back to the up so I was like, thank god, stuff please. So during school I read edith Is the King in Antigony more times than I can count, but I had never read Edipisci Colonnis. I read it the first time when I was researching this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never read it either, and I've read the other two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is Mini has more of a role in that book than she does in any other. So it starts with and Antigony are kind of wandering around, you know those images that we have of Antigony leading him around, and he's got his hand on her shoulder. So they're traveling, and she says, oh, somebody's writing toward us. There's a there's a writer and they're coming straight this way. Oh my god, it's his MENI it's my sister. So then you find out that it's mine. She secretly leaves the palace to bring news to Edipist and Antignity, and the news she brings is oracles specifically about him. So I'm like, okay, sophocally set this up for me. What if she was making the oracles herself? So that's that's where I would and I just took off from there.
Speaker 1: That is the most satisfying thing to find though. Yeah, oh I have such similar things, like not direct examples coming to mind, but I know that feeling so well of like having this idea, being really excited about it, and then finding a source where you're like holy shit, like I works. Yeah, Like I can back it up. I don't even have to totally fake it, Like I can back it up. Oh that's so fun. Also so cool that like, I mean, obviously the plays always feature, you know, more women than like a lot of other kind of content, but like, I love that something about her riding a horse and being by herself really stands out to me, being like, I'm going to do this on my own. I'm a woman, I am like doing this. Tell my family, like, that's badass.
Speaker 2: And sophocally says a very unsophoclean thing to me where Edith says to his two daughters that they're more like they have more agency than their brothers because they go out and they do things, whereas their brothers sit at home and wait for things to happen. And I thought, this is amazing, This is this is proof that that she can leave the palace and go on this adventure. So I was like, thank you, Sophiglease.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do think that's the thing that though. The difference I would say between anybody just a general nerd writing versus people who are as steeped in the ancient sources is that I also think people like us feel like we need.
Speaker 2: That yeah, where you need a validation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you can fictionalize anything, you can write anything you want to your novel. But I totally also know that feeling and be like, no, I can do this because Sophocles said I could, where you're like you could have done it anyway, but no, no, I needed him.
Speaker 2: I am. In twenty eighteen, I went to a book signing and got to talk to Madeline Miller. She signed my book and I said, look, I'm writing this book, and like you, I did my my master's in classics, and how do you get past thinking about your professor's reading the book? She goes, I had the same problem. Just don't make it as good as you can and don't tell him about it until it's already out. And I said, okay, that's a good plan. So I have all these ghosts over my shoulder like all my professors and Sophocles and Euripides are like, you can't do that, but I'm like, screw it, I'm gonna write what I want.
Speaker 1: Your would never tell you.
Speaker 2: You know what, You're right. Europdes is a better it's a better man.
Speaker 1: He knows that you can do whatever you want, you can make it wild, and he loves you for it.
Speaker 2: You know what he was. He was part of my my AHA moment where I was like, it doesn't have to be super historical. It doesn't have to be true to the sources because there is no original source. Like, myths are always evolving, they're always changing. That's what is so wonderful about them, because they're always changing the story because of who's telling them. So I was like, your Ripides is also blessing me to do what I want. So here we go.
Speaker 1: I mean, he made Helen and idolown and and he made if Aganayah like a priestess of Artemis killing people in Taurus. Like you know, he he knows it. He's like, I did whatever the fuck I want. Why can't you like, Yeah, that's the thing I think. I think people forget or or just it's not brought to attention. I think enough if you're not in really and deep in this realm, like if you're just picking up any of these books, Like it's so easy to think about a quote unquote original myth or or to even think that, like you know that say, oedipis the King is you know, the sort of formative like the version of Oedipus because it's the one that everyone thinks about. But like I mean, not only is it just a play, but it's like it is. I mean in like in being a play, it is fan fiction, Like it is Sophocles working with whatever he had and writing the story that he wanted to write, just like anyone else. And that is so interesting and like that's why I love plays because they are from the ancient world, but at the same time they are reception, just like your novel is reception, and so you get to look at them in that way and it's yeah, like it's so much more interesting to see them that way. And then and then like I think it's much more inspirational too, to like people writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's it's more worthwhile to not try to just say the same thing like I was before, as soft Clays and Setiha said, but to take what they wrote and try to make it relevant to me. So yeah, that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. Like did you so did you play a lot with her relationship with Antigony or were you just kind of like Antigony has been done?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is it annoys me, But in my head, as Mini is basically me, like she's just this shy girl and she kind of gets out of her comfort zone and tries to make things right, Antigny, I'm writing I and I just write things that I didn't think about. It's like she's talking through me, and I'm like, oh my god. Like she really surprises me the way that she interacts because my Antigny is very aware that this should be her story, so she's kind of resemful that Izmeni is the main character. They even have a discussion at the end where she says, you know, I would have thought you would be the one that was left behind, not me, So I just I just had like, first she goes through the you know, the five stages, like she denies that she's not the main character, and then she comes to accept it and she helps his meeting on her journey.
Speaker 1: Basically, that feels so Antigny, like so completely. I mean it's Sophocle, it's as fault, but it does feel yeah, very very Antigony. I love that. Did you read the Phoenician Women for this?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 6: I did, and I read, oh, what's the other one called thecalist one seven against Theves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read those two as well, but I hadn't read them as many times as softly. So that's the one that really stuck out of my head. Yeah, but even just those three contemporary sort of like Sophocles, Europides, and Esclists, they write so many different versions of the same stories. So I was like, it doesn't matter what I do because they've already set up this precedent of changing this, so I'm going to keep going with that.
Speaker 1: Well, it reminds me. So I've had a conversation that has not aired yet but will have aired by the time this one airs. Oh it's inceptioning, but with this part did not appear in it for a future conversation anyway. Basically, I have this plan for future episode series, probably not until next summer, so it's ages away. But I'm going to just something new and different for me. I'm just gonna do Euripides, but I want to look at like him Mora as a person and like how it all happened. And and I was speaking to to TOF Marshall, who's going to be on to talk about just theater broadly, but he made some comments with Euripties that made me go, Okay, you're coming back on the show like later when we're doing this, because I'm gonna forget the details. But there's this whole you know, kind of tradition around around these these stories and and like what we accept as sort of you know, facts and truth and original myth, like we were saying, and you know, and it is Sophocleses, right, Like Sophocleses Oedipis the King is like sort of the definitive Oedipist. I mean, it's mostly because it's the one that survives, but like why is it the one that survives? And so, you know, because edip or not episs Euripides also wrote an Oedipis and I forget what the detail was, but Toff told me that like basically there was like he'd written in this like very big difference to Sophocleses, Like I don't know if it was like Odopluis didn't bind himself or some big change that you know, just kind of his version and this change like all just kind of got forgotten completely. And I just think that's it's so interesting to think about, like how these versions become canon, because like no one in the ancient world was like sophocles Is more correct than Euripity is, Like they were probably like we like this play better, but they weren't out there being like this is the wrong myth because they understood how myth worked in a way that it's harder for us now. But I just, yeah, I love that idea. Like I'm not even forming this into a relation to your book, I realized, but like, I just I think it's so interesting. But I also think it does lend itself to fiction broadly, right, Like like like you were saying, there is no right or wrong myth. There is no original myth. There is no like I mean, there are some things where you're like that has no basis in sure, yeah, but there is no like you know, wrong version in terms of like the things that do survive. It's just so fun. I'm just now I'm just like so full of like ancient source thoughts in my brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not sure how it was in Greece, but in ancient Rome, part of a Roman boy's education was in oratory and in law would be doing these practice speeches where you would take a mythological subject and you would try to argue it from one character's point of view or the other. So you could try to be defend Helen's actions, or you could defend Paris' actions, and the points that you got or the way you kind of revolutionize the myth and not sticking to like a current story. So even the ancients were taught like myths are fluid, you can change them to get what you want out of them.
Speaker 1: Basically, Oh, I love that. That's really interesting and make you think of it, you know, like yeah, like he went and he took all these predominantly Greek stories and he was like I'm going to kind of mess with things, and like we're still paying the price in a lot of ways, Like I think you're of Medusa. It's this really common idea that that Avid's version is like the Medusa now, and it BOMs me out, Like I really like to stick to the I mean, I love Avid, but like something about Medusa, I'm like, I want the Greek. I mean a big part of it is that, like Avid introduced this Athena villain story that I think is so unnecessary and like that's stuck in this way where people are like either you know, Athena is the villain or they're like, oh, maybe Athena blessed her and saved her. And I'm like I don't like that either, Like it's all gross to me in a in a modern context. I love Avid for what he did, but I hate that the people have like latched onto this. It's like this is Medusa's story because I'm like it is objectively not like if we're really talking about ancient sources, the Romans were out here making wild changes, and that's such a great example that that young Roman boys were taught that, like fuck with the myth and you can like win this at this contest, Like that's so interesting and it so screams Avid, which is a great source, but like not if we're talking about Greek myths, then it's not.
Speaker 2: It's funny you see that because I only I basically figure that out because I was doing my graduate research on Avid, So I like had to write this really big research paper. It wasn't a thesis. We didn't do a thesis base m. It was corese bace and in between the two years you did a major research paper. So mine was on Ovid and particularly on book thirteen of the Metamorphosease. But I wanted to talk about like his early life and his education. So Auvid's father, I think, was a lawyer, and he wanted Avid to be a lawyer as well. So he did have that training in those in that schooling, so he was used to and trained to twist those myths. So that's something that people should keep in mind. He's not telling us this concrete myth. He's he's telling us what he wants.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, and it's I love him because I think that that's absolutely valid. But what I hate is when people are like, but that's the version. I'm like, no, that it's office version. Yeah, and there's nothing wrong with abus version, but it's not like it's not the Greek version objectively speaking for a lot of reasons. Yeah, that's that's so interesting to know that. I love that fact.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, without me having a specific question like what are some fun things that that you like learned about or that you wanted to write into this book, or like, I don't know, I just want to hear more, but my brain is not coming up with a specific question to ask you.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I really got off on a tangent about the oracle of this meaning me and Paul. Yeah exactly. But I became a bit obsessed with that. I get I lose focus a lot, so by becoming hyper focused on other things. So I did some research and I found out there's a school in the States that is currently doing an excavation on the uh the temple. So I found out who was doing it, and I emailed them. I was like, I like to ask you some questions, can we like hop on zoom? So I had a little zoom meeting with them, and then because their research isn't published yet, they weren't actually allowed to talk about their research, but they gave me some really good uh primary sources to look to. So Pausanius has like his you know, his travel guide to agent Greece, and he talks about thieves and the temple. So that was really helpful, as the temple does make it an appearance at the end of the book. But they told me about a book that I'll have to type it out and send it to you because I cannot spell it for the life of me without looking at a reference. But there is a classicist name Sarantis simeon Ougloo who wrote a topography of Thebs. It's this massive book that covers Thebes from the Bronze Age up until like modern thieves, like in the eighties or the nineties, so you see how the city grows over time. And you learn about the history and the geography and the politics, and it's just such a great resource to have, especially if you're looking at thieves in particular. So I was obsessed with that book. I took it out of the Special Collections library at the university and I had it in my room for like three months because I didn't want to let it go. It was so helpful.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that. I love finding stuff like that. I mean, and just Pausanius is fun and helpful for like those little things of like just just describing a thing like sure, he's late whatever, but he's like the eyes on the ground in a way that we don't have otherwise. Like thank fuck for Pausanias.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even though he's he's seeing these things so much later than we want to write about them. It is nice to have like a first hand account of what it would look like in situ kind of thing. It's better than nothing, it's better than exactly. It gives you an idea. Another thing that was helpful for me. I know not everybody's in the position to do it, but my husband got funding to go to Greece and I went with them, and he was great. He was studying these stone tablets at Delphi. So he was in like the archives looking at them, and I was just wandering around, and I took a lot of inspiration just from being at Delphi for the book, and especially there's certain artifacts that I saw there that are in the book and that are important. So when Asmini looks into like the fire and has her little her visions, she sees these images speaking to her, images that she saw on the Sacred Way. So we've got, you know, the famous Naxi and Sphinx. I wrote this scene where the Sphinx kind of shakes off the marble and becomes the actual Sphinx of flies down to talk to her. And there's also the statues of Clavius and Meetan, you know those the two the two they're kind of like two Kourois standing together.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, they're like really archaic, except right, yeah.
Speaker 2: So they were a dedication to the Sacred Way, but for the purposes of my book, they're actually Atreus and Thyestes. And then there's this monumental cauldron and when I saw I'm like, that's where Tantala's stewed peelops. Because it's enormous. So I have that cauldron kind of hops over because it has lion's feet and tries to like swallow her holes. So I kind of took inspiration from things that I saw while I was there, So you can find a lot of inspiration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I also love like what you're describing that like one of the things I think that it also I feel like should be in more retellings. Is more of that fantasy like big mythology. When you're writing it that way, like is fantasy, and I think a lot of people want to make it real and really down to earth, and I respect that entirely. I personally want the fantasy, like I want the gods interacting with shit. I want like wild stuff happening. Like I also just love the idea that you that you had Atreas cook a couple of children at Delphi, Like that's another level to the crime that you're adding that I respect it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did some stuff and some stuff I really wanted because I was thinking about when I was a kid and I was into Greek mythology because of Hercules. I was it was the magic that I was into, So I'm trying to make this as magical as I can. And there's one part where I thought I went too far, and I'll tell you about it. So she's been traveling across Greece for for weeks. She's she's dirty, instagrum, like she's got dirty clothes on. She's in she's cut her hair off to be a boy and herd Apollo or getting ready to return to thieves so she can have a per big, her big moment in the in the palace with the rest of the Thebians and apologist her. You can't go back to thieves looking like that, and he kind of makes her look like a princess again. And and as I was writing it, I thought, you can't do this all. Isn't a fairy godmother? Like this is stupid?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: And then I remembered live, I actually have a precedent for this in Homer when in the Odyssey, when Naosafa finds Odysseus when she's playing with her friends, Athena makes him look more beautiful to her.
Speaker 3: So it's like, Okay, I have a precedent for this, So Apollo, it's just as much as the fairy god mother as Athena was too Odysseus.
Speaker 2: So there I was taking my inspiration from the ancients again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, you had a precedent. You've found the president in Athena. I love that because also, like just you even saying that, I got so many other memories of the Odyssey because like there's so many moments where Athena comes in and she's like, I'm gonna make you look a totally different way, because because it's like, yeah, for Nausicaa, it's you know, she wants him to be beautiful. When he goes home to Ithaca, he's got.
Speaker 2: A beggar man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, There's so many different things like that, and I'm just wondering, like I imagine the Iliad must have some of those as well. But yeah, I love that, Like, I mean, the gods really can do whatever you want them to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and for the gods, like humans are their play things kind of, so.
Speaker 1: That's how all Greek myth retellings should see it.
Speaker 2: So basically in that moment, she's a Barbie doll for a follow.
Speaker 1: I love this because I like, I've been working on a totally new novel this year, and Apollo is my absolute villain, Like he is the worst of them. He is absolutely the worst, but I do like seeing Like I mean, that's the other thing about Greek myth is that, like the gods contain multitudes, like they are so often the fucking worst to some people and then really lovely to another. So there's just you know, it all checks out. Like whatever you or anybody else wants to write with these gods, like you can probably make it work. Like they're really you know, they are just so many things at once and that's why they're fun.
Speaker 2: There's a scene like it happened. I didn't plan in Tigany to say this, She just said this of her own volition. Whereas Mini reveals to her she's been hearing this voice in her head and it's Apollo and that he wants her to go to Delphi and A'smini sorgnizes me, and Tigany says to her, think, when has a god being interested in a human ever ended up a good thing for the human? You have to be careful and as Miena never thought that before. So I was like, okay, an Tikeany, thank you for putting that out there for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so valid and like, I mean that that is the thing I love about Greek mythis or and that's what I want in my retellings. It's what I've written into mine, is that, like, yeah, the gods are fucking dangerous. Like that is Greek mythology in a nutshell. The gods are dangerous. Their interactions with mortals rarely go well, certainly, as we all know, like going to the oracle in mythology rarely a good idea. Some bad shit always happens. And so yeah, like I love that, I mean, and at the same time, like Apollo can be good to the people he wants to be good to. I cannot think of any examples off the top of my head. But didn't he like like set his mother on fire?
Speaker 2: For that's true, like she was having a fair that's what that's what the raven said. But yeah, sure, but you know the gods, they do what they want for their own reasons. So it's Mini's like she realizes she has Apollo's favor, but she's very wary of like, okay, but when will I lose it? So I gotta be careful when I have these interactions with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you play with any of the other gods or is Apollo kind of your main one?
Speaker 2: Apollo is my main one. Athena makes a very brief appearance, but Apollo's basically the main one. Artemis comes into it. And the Fates. I had fun writing the Fates. They were great.
Speaker 1: Did you did you conflate them with the Gray Eye like in Herculan?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't. I had at first. I wanted to because it would have made more sense plot wise, and I was like, no, keep it, keep them separate.
Speaker 1: I do. I mean, that's I think one of my favorite like major changes to myth and characters is just that the Gray Eye and the mare I get to be the same three Crones and Hercules because it's just so much better that they share an eye.
Speaker 2: And even in that way, they kind of get conflated with the norn from Norse mythology, the three Yeah, because there's so they kind of conflate them with other myths as well, and I was like, don't try not to do that. You've got enough miss to work with for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh that's so fun. Okay, now that I've said Disney's Hercules, were you directly inspired by anything from Disney's Hercules or I don't even know. I'm just curious about the Hercules of it all because I also love that movie a lot.
Speaker 2: I I was inspired by Hercules because I wanted to approach the story with like sort of Disney magic, if that makes sense. So I mentioned Mulan a couple of times, so like, there's parts of the book that I kind of thought of in regards to Disney movies, if that makes sense. So when she is drawn out of the women's quarters by Apollo and she heads into the city, I was thinking of, you know, Princess Jasmine. When she puts on the disguise as she goes out, and when she disguises herself as a boy, I was thinking of Mulan. So I was just trying to really keep that sense of like wonder and storytelling that you get in the classic Disney movies.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I love that I can hear your cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's greeting my husband who just came in to her. That's Cosmo's podcast debut.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, I mean like, but I love like mythology is magic, you know, And I mean I think those those inspirations work really well too. But really, like mythology is magic, it is fantasy, and that's that's definitely. My favorite thing to have in these retellings is something that like really embraces that because, like it, these weren't real people, and that's the fun. That's the fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gives you a lot of freedom to to put on characteristics of people you know or characters you're familiar with, to these characters in myth and you can flash them out some more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, how much traveling in Greece did you do? Like, I mean, I feel like if I was writing something where people get to travel, it would just be a shit show because I'd be like, I want them to go literally everywhere, and I have to think, like logistically, how possible that is. So I'm just curious, like kind of if you had to hold yourself back or like what you wanted to do with that.
Speaker 2: Well, we were only there for a couple of days and we were there.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean your character, but I also want to hear about real life actually now that you're okay.
Speaker 2: So she basicly reenact things that I did on my trips. So this was just me reliving that trip. But so we were basically located in Athens for the majority of it, and we did some day trips, so we went to Corinth and my cd uh. We went to Delphi and Naphlio and thieves. Oh god, that was the best day of my life.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to Thebes. I've been doing all of the old I haven't really been to Corinth. I guess I've been through Corinth. But like I'm jealous of about thieves. I once accidentally drove through Thebes. We didn't know we were there until we got to the sign that said you were leaving theva and I was like, son of a bitch, we would be just like we I when I went there with like my friends in Ancient History fangirl. We drove to Delphian back and we took this like funny route back whatever Google Maps gave us, and it took us like through this like very rural ring round about area and we're like, oh, we didn't have and then I was like, I'm curious where we are. And then literally we go to the you know, they do the like like a cross through the word to say you're leaving that town. And I didn't realize we're in thieves until it was just like, yeah, of a bitch, I was just here and we didn't have time to go back and so, yeah, oh my god, So how was Thebes? What did you see? Did you see the cad me on? I know that there's very little left. I'm so curious about everything I did.
Speaker 2: So getting to these we went on the train and we thought like we got to the station, it was it was tough. We got it's completely empty, there's nothing there but this like skeletal dog, and we're like, oh god, what have we got ourselves into? And then we just started to walk and it's just everything looks so beautiful there. Maybe it's just because I'm biased because I was so obsessed with thieves for so long at that point, but I was like, oh, this is amazing. And that scholar I had talked to who was excavating in themes, she said, oh, you really have to go to the new Archaeological Museum. It's amazing. And that's partially built on part of the old cadney, so you can see part of it in underneath and outside. So I was just losing my mind. We stayed there for hours just looking at everything, and it was just so amazing to see all these like theban artifacts in Thebes, and it was.
Speaker 1: Just the greatest Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm going to figure it out. I've got to. It's uh. They're problems to travel alone. And like I like traveling, but there's some parts of Greek travel that I don't love doing alone, Like I did the bus to Naplio, Like the buses are fine. I'm probably the bus probably anyway. Oh, I'm so jealous. That's so fun.
Speaker 2: I wish I took a car because the scholar stupidish. I don't either, but thank you this scholar, Stephanie Larson. She said, I really should go see the tombs of Oedipus. They're carved into the rock face itself because the rock is very like malleable, and I was like, that's hardcore. I have to put that in the book. I didn't get to go to them, but just because she had talked about them, I had included it in the book. But there's just so much to see there, so you have to go sometime.
Speaker 1: I am having ideas that are going to result in me texting my lovely assistant producer Mikaela after this. That's so fucking fun. I am so jealousy. I'd love that too, because like the thing about basing your story in that part of the mainland is that there are there's so much close enough, you know, like you really like you can access all of these these places and have people traveling in this way that is like realistic, but also you get to do you know, Thebes and Delphy and kind of like whatever else in that sort of realm. I oh, Graace, Now I'm just h is there, you know, before we kind of like transition away from the plot itself, is there? You know? I don't know anything, like one favorite moment that you want to share, or just like I don't even just basically, do you want to share anything more about the plot or your characters, or just I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: So I will share something very quickly. It's unexpected, unexpected fan favorite. So I had more than one person talk to me about a certain character, and I thought, what because they were kind of just there for a reason. It's so hard to explain it, but so is Meeni and Antigony are kept in the women's quarters. They're told that they're kept there for their own good because the plague is ravaging the city and this is the safest place for them, and they're kind of kept under lock and key by their nurse Para and Parah had a long history in my head or she She was not very good character in the first round of the book, but in the second round she became a much more motherly character, and I had beta readers and my sisters were saying, what's her story? She needs to do more. So she kind of became more of a central character through that second version of the story, just because so many people wanted to learn more about her, and even I was thinking about it, and it gave me an idea for a short story sometime where a lot of you know, Greek slaves were taken in war and they were like, they weren't necessarily slaves before, Like Purr could have been a noble woman or a princess herself. So the relationship she has with the two girls is not so much as a jailer as like a mother with her children. And it's just interesting to like try to revisit her relationship with Para, who was her only mother figure. So I have my beta readers to thank for that. So if we have readers out there who want to be writers, and you don't always want to take your data reader's feedback into account, you should because there's a reason they're talking to you, so try to make a work.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I also think too, it's a great like I think the great kind of detail you out of there is how is multiple people telling you that you know, like I think, Yeah, I mean, if multiple people have told you a thing like probably, it's a good idea to revisit for sure. I have just had two people who read my book be like, I think you should change this, but and I'm like, fine, I guess I will, like you know, because yeah, I think I think you know, and within reason too, like yeah, you know, and I think probably It was the same for you based on what you've just said, but like for me, it was very like, well, I can see where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to admit it, but they're.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly exactly right. Like whereas if if you had felt particularly strongly about a thing you like, no, no, like that just doesn't work, you know, it's it's an interesting thing, And doesn't that just lead perfectly into what I think is so cool about what you've done and what a lot of people do. Is it like you just publish it yourself because it's just working in the traditional way, and I think that's great, and I think we're in this world where that is so much more possible than it used to be. Yeah, I would love to hear a little bit about your process and like what you know when you kind of were like, I'm just gonna fucking do it.
Speaker 2: That happened this year, I had. So I originally wrote the first draft twenty seventeen, and by twenty nineteen I made that decision to rewrite it completely, and I was finished the rewrites by twenty twenty one. So I had been querying it to agents from twenty twenty one and to early twenty twenty three. So when we last talked last March, I was still in the depths of querying. I had good responses, but people just didn't know how to sell it. And I thought, how can you not sell it when Greek myth retellings are so popular right now? And I don't want to sound big headed, but I know it's a good book, so I thought, oh should I there's a lot of stigma with self publishing, but it is really valid and there's a lot of work that goes into it. And I was really fortunate that one of my co workers self publishes romance books, and she said, oh, just go for it. This is the name of my editor. Why don't you reach out to her and if she's interested, she'll work with you. And the editor was interested. She actually told me, okay. So the editor used to be obsessed with Percy Jackson in Greek mythology in high school, and she said it made her want to revisit all of her high school face. It was like, this is great, this is what I want. I want that high school audience and people to be excited about Greek myth So I worked with them, and just at the point when we finished the edits and I needed to find a cover artist, I entered this contest. So I was very lucky. There's this wonderful illustrator online named Holly Dunn, and she does illustrations for a law of like the book subscription boxes, like I will create an illumic crate, and she was running this contest where she would design a book cover for self published artists. So I was like, what the heck, I'll enter it in and then I went so I was working with that. So it was just a lot of luck and support from other women that got me to self publish this, so it was a nice little journey.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. I really I've gotten really into watching book talks over the past year. Yeah, I like last year, I was like in a real depressive hole about this time, and I started reading a romanticy novel and then got into book talk. Has really introduced me to so many self published authors, and I think a lot of people talk some shit and I think they're wrong, Like, yeah, some of them actually could use an editor, but clearly you paid for one, so I'm sure. Sometimes I read things and I'm like, guys, you need to cut this in half. I would love to not actually do it, but I do think that like by and large, indie publishing is fucking cool, and like, yeah, it's just so different, like because I went to publishing school, like grad school for publishing, but it was like, you know, ten years ago and it self publishing was even more stigmatized, and I think it's gotten a lot better. And now it's like this idea of indie publishing more. You know, it's like you're just doing it for yourself, and I just think that's great, and I think BookTalk has made that really really possible, and so like, I just love that you did it, Like I think also you came to me at the right time, when I was deep in my like bookstok Romanticy Times and reading all of the crazy nonsense I read on there, and I was like, you should do it for yourself. Look at all these people who are doing it, Like it's so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so great that there's so many people that have so many success stories. And it gives you a lot more freedom because a lot of the traditional publishers are looking for certain things. So you can break out of the box, so you can make Like I read a book about a mandatory milking farm and that's exactly what it sounds like live and these are It was a good book. I enjoyed it. So these things like you can you have freedom to to write what you want. So even though a lot of agents were a bit hesitant to handle a story about a man who marries his mother, I got it out here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god. I love that. I just love I love the idea of being able to do it yourself. I love that you want a contest for it, Like how incredibly perfect to you? That must have felt like such a good sign.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, it felt like destiny Destney plays a big part of the book, so it was like, okay, just go with it, just go with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I yeah, I just feel like that would feel like I'm doing the right thing, Like I made the right call, especially because like getting rejected by publishers, an author and and agents fucking sucks. That's a horm feeling and it can make you feel like the book isn't worth it. And I think, like you said, they are looking for a specific thing. And it doesn't mean that the thing that you've written is not going to be popular. It's just that traditional publishing is like very specific, and I think that it's absolutely valuable, and like I think that there's a place for both. But yeah, it's like it doesn't always fit and maybe it's maybe it's when your dad is also your your brother, Like who's to say, but yeah, so I just yeah, I love that you did it yourself, and I think I think that's really cool. And I know my listeners like to hear a lot about like the process behind writing. But also I think a lot of people try to write books and a lot of people feel discouraged. And the great thing about the world we live in now is you can do it yourself if you're so inclined.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of hard work, but like you can do it. And the internet is a great place to learn things, and you can find people online that will help you. Like I met so many people through another podcast called eighty eight Cups of Tea, which was big in the writing community back in the day, and that's how I met so many of my beta readers. So like, just reach out to your online friends. You can find people that I'll write with you, and you can create your own writing circles so you can make it happen even if an agent's not listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just yeah, I think that's really great. And like, especially as somebody who used to work in publishing and did the whole thing, Like it's so different now in such a great way, Like the world is so much more open to everybody, and especially when traditional publishing is like working, they're working to catch up with a lot of things, but they're so far behind on a lot of things, you know, and so like sometimes you just have to go around them, and that's cool too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And even though you self publish a lot of self published books are being picked up by traditional publishers now, So it doesn't mean that you're just going to be a self published author forever, even though that's not a bad thing. Like there's a lot more freedom through self publishing, but there's a lot more, like you said, like some some self published authors can't afford to get an editor, but like if you're with the publishing house, you get that treatment. So that's one of the advantages to traditional publishing. But like they both have their own merits, and it's just really great that so many more people are able to self follish things now.
Speaker 1: It is it is? Yeah, so well, I think that's a perfect way to say to you, like where can people find your book? Like how is that working in that respect? And yeah, when is it available? This episode will come out, I think after it's already been available, but you can tell me anyway.
Speaker 2: And where they can buy, right, So it will be coming out January thirtieth, twenty twenty four. It's currently up for pre order on Amazon for kindle and paperback, and I am trying to work out ingram Spark to get it in bookstores, so hopefully you'll be able to get it through your bookstores. As well, but it's also there on Amza.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Now, from a completely personal standpoint, have you considered Cobo? And also why not? I don't know? Great, can I recommend that you consider Cobo? Not least because I know the woman who runs the entire Canadian store and she's fucking lovely. Yeah, like, I just yeah, it's it's so great that you're doing this. I realize I was checking the date so this will come out, just looked at it and I lost it. What do I have you February second, So when this episode comes out, it'll be fresh and new and available and hopefully in stores and hopefully on Cobo, as people will have lost a huge part of that conversation where I just put another option. But yeah, like, I just that's great. I really yeah. I hope that it does super well. I hope some of my listeners pick it up. More thebes the better, but also like, yeah, more people doing it for themselves when when the industry might let them down, so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope people like it.
Speaker 1: I mean that part's really scary, but you can't overthink it, so I just gotta hope for the best. Yeah, Well, thank you so much for doing This has been so much fun. What my listeners don't know is the number of times we stopped to talk about other random things that will get cut out because I divulged a lot of information that is not yet public. But yeah, clearly this has been a true joy. Thank you so much for coming back on again.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Thank you for having me. This has just been such a great experience, and I'm so happy to be on the podcast again.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to have you and thrilled to have your book in the world, especially like after having dragged your poor episode out for so long before I released it, hoping that I would do the Thebian and then realizing it's like thirty books long, and I was like, I am not prepared to do all right. Again, I'm glad to Wonderful Nerds. Thank you so much for listening to this episode. Thank you to Meghan for coming on the show and for sharing everything about her novel and the writing process, because I love that part so much. But for me, it's really interesting to hear it from another classicist too, or or just somebody who has studied classics, because when you have this level of absurd knowledge of the ancient world. I think it can be almost a hindrance sometimes, as you might have heard in some of those points on obsession kind of with quote unquote accuracy in a thing that has no need for accuracy, because mythology is mythology. So it's just like a unique experience chatting about that. And it was so much fun talking to Megan and also Thebes, you know, Thebes so huge. Thank you and check out Hirdles of the Sphinx available at Kindle and now Cobo, and follow Meghan. I've linked to some places in the episode's description enjoy. Thank you all so much for listening. Let's talk about Myths Baby is written and produced by me Live Albert. MICHAELA. Smith is the Hermes to my Olympians. My assistant producer, Laura Smith is the wonderful audio engineer and production assistant. The podcast is part of the iHeart Podcast Network. Listen on Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Visit Patreon dot com slash myths Baby to help support the show. Can you tell I'm not reading my script this time? That was all of a memory. I'm pretty good. Thank you all so much for listening. I am live and I love this shit, particularly Thebes, because Thebes